Speaker 1: Happy Wednesday to It's just me for a moment. I am Clint CS find me as real left Fargie on social media. We're gonna be here briefly. We're gonna hear from Katie Wu in a couple of minutes, but we're to talk about the latest with the Dalton Rushing elbow injury situation. Of course, it was revealed yesterday that the reason Dalton Rushing was scratched from the lineup over the weekend and missed the next game and has been subsequently put on the I L with an elbow issues because he has a partially torn or a small tear in his right UCL, the ulner C lateral ligament, which goes about right here in your arm. And it's a good part, that's a good, beefy part that you need to throw a baseball, which is something a catcher needs to do. Let's go ahead and get the news here. This was from Katie last night. Again, Dave Roberts told Dave Vassay that there was a UCL tear revealed for Dalton Rushing. They're trying to avoid surgery right now. They're saying, you know, labeling it as a small tear. Take that with a grain of salt. Of course, with this organization, they would ideally. This was the news from the morning, that's from Faby and Ardaya that they there's a small chance that he is back to catch this year. But more importantly, they want to keep him as an option, an option to hit off the bench as a left handed bat, which I understand. He has been better than some people you know view him. We'll say, you know, obviously he's had some issues here and there with the virality of his game, but he has honestly been a very good player as a hitter this year, somewhat streaky at times, but having an ops north of eight hundred. There you see it, twelve dingers on the air, the RBUI total. It is what it is. He's batten down in the lineup, and we know this is the lineup that has struggled to put runs on the board of late. But he has been very good. So I could understand the idea of wanting to keep that bat in the lineup or just available in some way in October, but it feels so niche to have a essentially two dhs on a twenty six man roster with him and shohe Otani who also can't play defense. I question that a little bit when you have some other guys that are down in the system that can maybe fill that out. I don't know. We will talk more about this as the days and weeks sort of progress, but still, this is the latest with Dalton Rushing. He is out. Surgery, of course, is something that is on the table. But we're gonna find out more now from Katie about what's going on with Dalton Rushing. Are they gonna go the surgical route, a little bit of rest and recovery. So let's bring Katie in right now. All right, we got Katie with us from the ballpark. We had the news yesterday kind of flew under the radar early Daves or David Roberts telling David Vass about the MRI results giving us a torn UCL in Dalton Rushing's elbow. Not good. I have a lot of thoughts. What can you tell us the latest with this? They're small tear, They're trying to keep them around as a bat. What can you tell us, Katie?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's certainly not what you want for Dalton Rushing, who saw an opportunity for the full time starting role in mid June when Will Smith went down and really took it and ran with it. And I think the front office specifically has been thrilled with Dalton's development in that full time role, but real unfortunate news with this UCL strain. Which talks a little bit more to Dave Roberts this morning, I'll just rip off my phone here. They won't know more about this injury and the extent of it for about a month, so their thought process right now is to rehab in hopes of avoiding surgery. There is a small chance that he can come back and catch behind the plate, but their thought is if you get surgery right now, he will not be able to play in the postseason at all. If with the next two weeks ish they can see how he responds to treatment and no throw, there is a chance he could come back and be used as a hitter only, And given the lack of left handed bats on their roster currently, they think Dalton can still have value on this team, especially in October when you're looking at the playoff run as a bat off the bench from the left side. So it's kind of all fluid right now. I'm going off again. Just talk to Dave Roberts about this. If this fails and he's not able, Dalton Rushing is not able to respond to treatment, they will undergo surgery. But right now, because it's August and they can still maybe use him as a bat later in the season, they're going to try the rest and recovery method first.
Speaker 1: Is it going to be like maybe a PRP injection. Have they mentioned anything about what that recovery looks like?
Speaker 2: They're still going through it. Again, this is all pretty new information. And then granted, you know, coming right off the trade deadline, there's been a lot of moving parts here, but this is clear when they went out and acquired or acquired excuse me, two catchers, that this is going to be more than just a minimum iel stint for Dalton. We know that Will Smith, I'm sure we'll get into is do back around maybe September, beginning of September when rosters expand. But for Dalton, there is just no timetable as to what this could look like. Their hope is to just whatever they decide on recovery again, no throw for at least two weeks. It's looking more like four to six just based on the recovery. But they'll know for sure what kind of the next step is after his initial response to the two week periods so very fluid. I know this fan base has their rightful trust issues with Dodgers and their injury updates, but this one, I do believe it's all about how this Dalton respond to the initial treatment. Surgery not off the table, but something they're hoping to avoid because while he's probably not going to be back for as a catcher this year, they could still use his bat from the left side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dave and company really losing some equity there when it comes to, oh, yeah, everything's going to be fine, it's going to be great. You know, he should be back in the lineup real soon. I don't think those were his exact words on this one. Yeah, it seems tough. Obviously they're saying that's a small tear, where not we are never going to be privy to the degree the severity of that tear. I went on a little bit of a rampage last night saying, hey, this is type of thing you kind of get fixed now. Because he's a catcher, he kind of needs that arm to throw down the second base. That's generally how the position works. So again, if it is small maybe that you can get the healing, you can get the PRP. I mean, you mentioned they don't have another left handed bat at least on the roster right now. On the forty men, there are some dudes down a triple A that are raking that kind of need. I mean, they're not gonna go phost way to Paula, that's obvious. But maybe there's a James Tibbs opportunity here. I mean, I know that stunts his growth just to come up and sort of be a bench bat, But like, what is the I guess, I guess there's no reason to say what is the real reality of adult rushing coming back and being a major player for this team this year, because, like you said, we're not going to know for at least another month. And to the Will Smiths factor before we bounce back to Dalton, the latest was that he's he's moving, he's back at square run, back at square one, likely looking at sort of a spring training's worth of ramp up here. What can you tell us about.
Speaker 3: Will and that? Nick?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, he's still at Dodgers Stadium. We're on the road obviously at Wrigley Field today. Teem's in Arizona over the weekend. But we talked to another kind of minor Will Smith update with not a lot of new information. He's just still doing baseball activity, taking swings in the cave.
Speaker 4: It's going to be a slow progression.
Speaker 2: When we talked to Dave Roberts at the beginning of last week, he said that the Dodgers are looking for a three to four week ramp up for will Minimum that includes a rehab stint. But again, we're going to see a lot of the catching tandem between Ben Morfret and Hunter Ferducia for I would say the majority, if not all, of August, because the Dodgers don't feel the need to rush Will Smith back, because if they rush him back and he has a stepback because he's overcommensating for not being one hundred percent healed, there is a significant chance then they don't have him for the stretch f onn in September and God forbid October, and you need Will Smith the September and into October much more than you need him in the middle of August.
Speaker 4: It's not the ideal tandem that they wanted. You know, this is not a plan that.
Speaker 2: They had on Saturday when they had landed Eric Scobel that they were going to go out and say, you know what, We're going to go with.
Speaker 4: The catching tandem.
Speaker 2: Two guys, to be fair, have had experience in this organization, but are brand new this season to what's been going on. Their ideal tandem was Smith and Rushing come September. Now it's most likely going to be Warpvet with the bulk of the Star at Spoucha backing up and hoping that Will Smith can make a full return by September.
Speaker 4: But again, no need to rush him.
Speaker 2: I would actually argue it's inheritive that they don't, because if you don't have Will Smith healthy for the end of September, you're not feeling nearly as good as for your postseason aduds as you should be.
Speaker 1: Hey, K, can I take a little bit more of a victory lap on the Ben Hurtvett stuff, because I've been on this it feels like for ten years now trying to get this guy back for this specific reason that the product familiarization as I kept calling it. You know, he knows this club for the greater part. He knows how they operate, They know how he operates. So I really like him in there. And let's not forget everybody's four and oh in the postseason last year when he was starting games behind the plate, that said, I don't want Hunter Producier and Tim sorry Ben wet Vett being the starting catchers for the Dodgers in the postseason. So yeah, don't rush. Well, back Dave had mentioned, you know, don't see him before three or four weeks could put him at the earliest first or second week of September. I'm cool, you know, just taking your time there.
Speaker 5: For parents looking for a new path to help your child succeed this year, there's still time to enroll in K twelve powered online schools. K twelve Powered schools offer tuition free, accredited online public education for students in kindergarten through twelfth grade. Tod Father take it away.
Speaker 3: Stride is a wonderful option for anybody that's always on the run. I mean, look at myself, from playing baseball to helping out a lot of people. Stride is fantastic for your child to be homeschool. They will love it no matter what.
Speaker 5: K twelve's dedicated teachers are trained in virtual instruction, and they provide real time support all in an online setting that works for your family at home or anywhere that there's internet. If you're on the go, it could be for you. It's not too late to enroll this fall. See how K twelve powered schools can help your child threat this year and beyond. Enroll online today at K twelve dot com slash foul. That's the letter K, the number twelve dot com slash f o u l K twelve dot com slash foul K twelve serving three million students and counting.
Speaker 1: Back to rushing. So, if you're trying to keep him as a left handed bat, it is his right arm, which is his lead arm for his bat, obviously his throwing arm. That's something where I don't remember if we ever got the specific diagnosis with Kik Hernandez and whether or not that was a UCL injury he dealt with last year. But I think of Keyk's elbow issue that also being his left arm, his lead arm on his swing, and how much that affected him, particularly you know, away pitches extending through the baseball I could see the same thing with Dalton rushing and potentially further aggravating that UCL. I don't know. I guess that's more of just a statement than anything to tee you up on a question there, But is that something that they're factoring in. Could they pivot to make it where he gets you know, the surgery or some sort of the shut him down because this effects a swing or could be further aggravated.
Speaker 4: It's a fair point and it's valid.
Speaker 2: We talked a lot behind the scenes of like the different ways that Dalton could go in terms of the rehabit recovery process. But I think again it's all about the player too, and Dalton is at the minimum a very tough kid, right And this is what Dave Robert said this morning, where he could respond differently to treatment just based on you know, who he is as an athlete, we as a person.
Speaker 4: But it's really hard to predict what that's going to look like.
Speaker 2: Again, there are so many different moving parts here come Sunday morning, and they weren't even aware that this was going to flare up and be this big of a thing. It just made itself very apparent right before that game against the Red Sox.
Speaker 4: It's why they kind of scrambled to.
Speaker 2: Get work at and Fiducia on the deadline day, acquiring to backup catchers was not part of their plan. So for Dalton, the biggest part is just take the next two weeks throw recover, see how you respond to treatment. If in two weeks he's not getting any better, they don't see a path where he could be a meaningful part even off the bench come the postseason.
Speaker 4: They're most likely going to offer surgery.
Speaker 2: But until we talk to Dalton, which probably won't be back until we get back to LA, it's really hard to say what he feels is the best treatment because this is not just a Dodger's decision, right this is a Dalton Rushing decision and the medcare or med team decision as well. They're all going to kind of come together in three different ways to find the best solution. Right now, they've deemed it, let's just shut him down for a little bit. They really want Dalton's bat in the postseason. Again, they have virtually no left handed bats off the bench, so I can understand it, but I also understand the rational of this could be something that gets aggravated into even a bigger injury. It might the Dodgers are trimming at a slight ucl tear, but a tear is a tear, and at some point if I understand them trying to cut off surgery, and I understand that might be what Dalton wants to but if you're not seeing the response in two three weeks, their hands.
Speaker 4: Are ultimately going to be tied and Dalton's going to have to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll let you get out of here. I'll let you get out of here and go do your job after this. The other factor I had kind of pop into my head last night is late in twenty twenty one, we saw Max Munsey get his elbow blown up at first base getting run into by Jase Peterson. That offseason, the league and the players Association entered a lockout, which means that the team does not have access to the players, the players does not have access to team medical and all that kind of stuff. So this is where you worry about putting off a surgery a little bit too long, and then all of a sudden, Dalton's left high and dry when it comes to his recovery from it. Sounds like it won't be a full Tommy John reconstruction, but hey, I ain't playing no big city medical doctor here. Maybe internal brace or something like that, but still him kind of flying blind. Yeah, they'll give him some paperwork. You do the homework buddy as you recover. Do you think that is something that could sort of enter the minds of the team, like, hey, we I don't know if it's legally, but we wouldn't be able to talk to you through this in the worst case scenario where there's surgery. Let's try to knock this out now. Is that something that this team could consider or am I just being too paranoid and you have been hurt in the past before, We all.
Speaker 4: Have our past chromas Clinic's okay.
Speaker 2: I think it's fair and it's definitely something that they're weighing behind the scenes as well. You know, I can't speculate on the kind of treatment or surgery that's going to be required for Dalton. I certainly understand why people are though, because anytime you hear the words UCL tear surgery possible, you think worst case scenario. So again, I can understand why the Dodgers, given the significant weight of the decision and also Dalton, are going to give this two weeks and try to avoid surgery. That would be the best case scenario obviously, but they're for all the reasons you just outlined reasons to get clarity soon, which is why I don't think they're going to wait for the full four to six week window that Dave Roberts has said that that Rushing will be no throw. I think they're going to look more at that two week window of has the initial treatment brought any sort or alleviate to any sort of pain. If so, let's keep it up. If not, we're going to make a decision here too.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: Katie, appreciate the time here, you plugging in in a very obvious, obviously busy part of the ballpark there. Hopefully as we're recording this before the game the Dodgers get a win. But appreciate you jumping on and hopefully we see you tomorrow when we're live at noon. Again, we appreciate Katie checking in from the ballpark there at Wrigley. It's not a never a comfortable situation doing those kind of hits, but yeah, that that is where things stand right now. You guys know where I'm at. I would would not be hurt to see surgery the surgery option be chosen for Dalton Rushing, especially if your plan is to have him catching and playing defense for years to come, he's gonna need to be able to throw a baseball. But we have seen people undergo you know, PRP and you know, rest and recovery and bounce back, depending once again on the severity of that tear. That's where it can heal, it can get better, and maybe he plays the rest of his career never needing surgery, never having to worry about.
Speaker 4: That elbow again.
Speaker 1: But my brain is gonna go to the worst case scenario and what we've seen with the Dodgers of late and just some of the bad luck they have had with some injuries and them taking longer or certain injuries becoming something bigger. I can think of like the back with Tyler Glass. Now you could think of the shoulder with Gavin Stone. But anyways, it's been long enough. Those are our thoughts. Sound off in the comments. Let us know what you would do with Dalton Rushing. Send some well wishes for Dalton Rushing. Is you know, hopefully he could bounce back and become a factor for this team in some way, shape or form into the postseason. Like the show, subscribe to the channel. I know this one was a little bit weird, a little bit different. Got some breaking news so figured we should talk about it. We will be back tomorrow, Thursday, twelve pm Pacific time. Myself Alana. Should we have a Katie woo all so joining us there? Subscribe to the channel again. I think I already said that. Check out our stuff in the DT shop, do yours territory shop dot com. Get yourself a shirt support the show. Scan that QR code, this mug. There's whole bunch of stuff in that shop. We'd appreciate if you would consider checking that out. Also, looking for a different way to support the show. We got YouTube members three nine nine a month. There's a discount in that shop. Other little perks you get, the badges, the custom emojis, so on, so forth. All right, we'll see you Thursday. Bye,