Speaker 1: Time bring we will sue you. Then welcome and hang out.
Speaker 2: The Just Baseball Show is live. Thank you all so much for joining us. Wherever you may be consuming this podcast. It could be live right now on YouTube or on x It could also be a little bit delayed on YouTube, Thanks for doing that. It could also be via audio on Spotify or Apple Podcast. Thank you for doing that, wherever you may be. We we have a couple more confirmed participants as we chat at one thirty four pm out East on Thursday, July ninth, in the home run Derby excited to talk about that. We also crusted interesting conversation on the call up that I want to bring over to the Just Baseball Show, and we're going to spend about ten minutes on that, figuring out the three to five year plan for a team that has a lot of good things going on right now. And then arm had a great idea about checking in on the player and club options for twenty twenty seven. So the guys that have options, whether the team picks them up or whether they can pick up their own contract beyond this season, what do they do. All of that is presented by the great folks at bet MGM or a minder to make it legendary during the World's Game, during All Star weekend, whatever you may have going on again, bet MGM is there. Arm Leighton excited for this one and Peyton Genis mentioned that this is a ball knower's derby. This is a ball Knower's Derby. The confirmed participants that we have in the last twenty four hours Jack cagleone of the Kansas City Royals, Jordan Walker of the Saint Louis Cardinals, and Wilson Contreras of the Boston Red Sox. They join already confirmed Junior Camonaro of the Tampa Bay Rays and Ben Rice of the New York Yankees. So three more spots yet to be filled. But this group of five, with CAGs and Walker being the two notable recent additions, this has the chance to be a special, special Derby.
Speaker 3: As you're saying that the home run that Junior Cammonaro just hit off of Paul Blackburn is absolutely insane, Guys, people are listening to this. You will see it somewhere. It's it's like a slider that was never a strike above the top of the zone and then slid across away from him and he tomahawked it right center and it got out on the absolute line. I've never I don't know if I've ever seen somebody hit a slider that like a sweeper, basically that high, moving that much horizontally out at that angle. He is the best bad ball hitter in Major League Baseball. And now I think, I don't think it's close Junior Camenarao, And that's not a good derby. Actually that is a good derby skill. When your pitcher's losing it, you can still just keep ripping them out.
Speaker 2: Of the yard, I think so. And yeah, like it's funny to see that title we passed from Rafael Devers to Junior Camentaro. But this title has officially been passed from Raffei Devers to Cammonaro. Devers is inching closer to thirty years old. I feel like you have to be young to do that. And Cavin Arow is a fresh twenty three years old. And what's so much fun about this field in particular, and Junior Cammentaro is, you know, top of the food chain as it pertains to power is. You can take a peek at the bat speed leader boards and man, there are so many guys that are top dogs in terms of bat speed here, and it is just ridiculous to see what they are doing. Junior Camentaro is the hardest swinger in Major League baseball. Jordan Walker is the second hard swing in Major League baseball. Jack cagleone is at seventh, Wilson Contreras is a tenth. It's just amazing to see. And I'm excited for the stat cast elements that are going to make their way into the home run derby broadcast, by the way, on Netflix. Reminder, it's not on ESPN anymore. It's on Netflix. So excited to see what that derby looks like on Netflix. But man, I mean they are leaning into it. Seems like modern criteria to select these guys, and I think Common Arrow is the gold standard. And if you're with us on YouTube, this is another look at that Common Arrow home run, not only flirting with the ray tank in right center field that was very close to being a possible splash down, but you're right, that was a Frisbee sweeper that stayed about letter high the whole entire time. He reached for a pitch, a ball above the zone and a ball outside the zone and shot it out to right center, just to the right of the ray tank. He is a special human being in the batter's box.
Speaker 4: This is why I loved it.
Speaker 3: And you know, I think this is the interesting part. And I think the great part about this derby and where baseball's at in general, is you're gonna have I think the Derby's transcendent, right, That's one of baseball's events that reels people in that may not even watch baseball very much. And if you are a football basketball fan who rarely checks in on baseball, which I think is a lot of people that still watch the derby, you may not be as familiar with with some.
Speaker 4: Of these players.
Speaker 3: I always really struggle with this, by the way, because we're so deep in it that I don't really know sometimes who are the players that people shouldn't or shouldn't know. But I'd imagine like even a Jack cag leone, like, how familiar are you going to be with him at this point? Jordan Walker, he's been great this year, But like, if you're a Knicks fan who doesn't like baseball that much, no way you know who Jordan Walker is, right, So, and I think on the surface, people might be like, oh, it's like the dunk contest right like, it's none of the stars do it anymore. These are the guys the baseball people want, and I think when you watch the Derby, when that you know, non base ball fan watches the Derby, I think they're gonna realize that really quickly because you're gonna see these dudes doing things that like you're gonna remember back to other Derbies that you've watched and be like, these guys are different, these guys are crazy.
Speaker 4: And then there's always gonna be providing the context.
Speaker 3: By the way, kemen Aro has the most home runs by a player age twenty three since this, and Jordan Walker is having one of the best seasons that we've seen f I Cardinals since this, and people are gonna be like, wow, baseball has a lot of young talent, And that's why I love this set up and where we're at with the Derbies. Of course, I want to see Mike Trout doing whatever, but I'm cool with this, and I think this is what we like ultimately is the best way to really showcase the talent that baseball has, but also where the sport has come to, where these guys are doing things on the field and hitting the ball with such veracity that like we have never really seen or at least not to this kind of like consistency across several different players, And I love that they are pursuing the stat cast darlings. Those are the guys that are going to make it translate in these types of events. It's it's not just game power, it's you need the raw power. And these are some of the guys that are the best in that department.
Speaker 2: Yes, one hundred percent and so excited for it. I also want to bring up kind of the comp to the Dunk Contest, because I understand that the Dunk Contest has lost its fastball, and you've got guys that the even casual NBA fan has never once heard of, like guys in the NBA. I know, I know. And the thing is, like, you could be pro McClung, but this is not mac McClung participating. Mac McClung participating would be Matt Waller being in the home run derby, which would be kind of fun. He would hit the ball very, very far, but at the end of the day, like he's not the best participant. The best participants are guys that do this consistently. Honestly, I think that the Jordan Walker and the Jack cagleone selections are akin to the Aaron Gordon Zach Levine selections with another contest because they're not all stars, like I mean, Walker is. Walker's totally an all Star. Kaglion could be an All Star at some point. Aaron Gordon and Zach Levine were very good NBA players. They were not All Star players, but they were the gift. They were the most gifted dunkers on the planet, and we got to see them do what they did best. And that is the opportunity that presents right now with a guy like Kamon Arrow, with a guy like Kaglion, and a guy like Walker, who again is young, this leans into the youth movement. Kaglione is what twenty three years old, Cavin Arrow's twenty three years old. Walker just turned twenty four two months ago, and Jordan Walker is pacing the National League in RBIs at seventy. He's got an eight to ninety oh ps, he's hitting two ninety four, and he's got twenty one home runs to go along with that. He's a huge human being that never really tapped into his true full potential until his age twenty four season. You have guys on the top one hundred prospects that are twenty four years old, like Jordan Walker is the age of some top one hundred prospects, and he is a tried and failed big leaguer. And what Walker has done on non fast this year, this is courtesy of our friends at Inside Edge, Thank you very much, Peyton. He's slugging five to fifty on non fastballs. It's a top three mark in the National League. He's also killing the ball when it's in the strike zone. He's got to slug over six hundred when it's in the strike zone, which is top ten in Major League Baseball. This is gonna be a really fun element to the Just Baseball Show, getting our Inside Edge stuff going on here.
Speaker 3: What I love about Walker too, and with the sit with the rules adjusting back to the outside of things, it doesn't matter as much, but it still does matter, is that he doesn't need to go like max effort swing and you're seeing, like on the video right now for those that are watching on YouTube, a lot of these home runs and a lot of the reason why Walker's been so successful in breaking balls this year is that he wroes. I don't need to get my A swing off all the time. I just need to be able to hold my backside just long enough. And even if it's a one arm swing, I am so strong that I can flick a ball over the left field wall as long as I keep myself in a position and I keep my bat at the right angle to be able to backspin it.
Speaker 4: And and that's what we've seen with Walker.
Speaker 3: Instead of hitting it really hard straight into the ground, he's able to maintain his pasture a little bit more, maintain the batpath and like his B swing is still going to be on a line out into left field if he has the right angle.
Speaker 4: And and that's what I think is gonna help him in the derby.
Speaker 3: And also this is another guy that moves the bat, as you know, as elite as anybody in the game, as you alluded to, so having Walker in here with it and to me, it's it's not the A plus swings in the derby, Like you want to see those guys get some of those off, but it's also as you start to fatigue a little bit, need to the end, you want to just be able to start to get in that mode where it's just Homer, Homer, Homer, and then you know you can, you can let loose a little bit here and there. That's what I think makes it so fun is I think common Arrow is built that way. I think Tags is built that way. I think Walker is built that way. I we'll do like predictions and stuff like that. As we get the whole field. We still have three spots to go right that haven. Yeah, I wonder what they're gonna be. I love how they roll it out kind of slowly too right now. I Tags is like the easy one to gravitate towards. But he moves so much with his swing and his lower half's very involved. I could see him kind of fatiguing. I like Walker so far. I didn't skin of my guy.
Speaker 2: I like Junior.
Speaker 3: I think this is what Yeah, Junior is impossible. It's chocky, I feel like, but it is Jockey for a reason.
Speaker 2: The only one that I look at here and I'm just like, I don't think you really have a shot is Wilson Contrere's. And I'm kind of done doubting Wilson Contreres because he's always proved me wrong. He was an old rookie. He's on the other side of thirty. I'm just thinking, you know what, the young guys are gonna get him. My eyes go to Rice pretty quickly, but I'm just like, everything's coming up, Junior. But you can't count anybody out.
Speaker 3: That's what makes it so fun. Do you have any guess from who the final three could be?
Speaker 2: Probably Jazz Chisholm, Yeah, Redemption Arc Yeah, he had what three he had three in his round? Was that last year two years ago?
Speaker 4: That was last year? I think that was last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he said what he wasn't trying right?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was something was some sort of brutal Uh. Yeah, he wasn't. I forget what it was exactly, but not great. Can we see yord On in this thing? I hope, so that would be a really cool one. Do you have like a wish list?
Speaker 3: Oh, Tani is the obvious one, but like we saw, he did it the one time and it didn't go that well and it was at Cores, which is crazy, And I just wonder if we'll just probably never see that. Is there someone that like jumps out to you that you would just would love to see in the setting that maybe we haven't already.
Speaker 4: I mean, I feel we're saving the Schwarber announcement.
Speaker 2: Obviously you would think so already said no, which stinks. I wish we got Kerts in this.
Speaker 4: He's kind of slumping. I guess I get it.
Speaker 2: The other one that jumps out Goodman in Colorado. I wouldn't mind seeing Hunter Goodman swing it.
Speaker 4: But I feel like Schwarber is a must in this thing.
Speaker 2: Schwarber's a must. Schwarber's gonna be the last one announced. It has to be.
Speaker 4: And then that's the thing.
Speaker 3: I know he's older, but Schwarber with the with the bank behind him, like, yeah, that makes it. That might set the clock back. He's six years younger. Just pure adrenaline with the that's going to be electric and Harper like do they both do it?
Speaker 2: I don't know, could see that happening. The other one that I keep on coming to his medals and I love watching medals and swing a bad man. It would be a ton of fun to watch medals and participate in this derby.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he's he's he's he did it one other time. I think he was great with it too, Like he's another really fun one. He's just in another home run today. We got a lot of good options, but I think this is going to be a really good Derby and I feel like it's in a good spot. I'm just curious to see how the rule adjustments go. And then I'm also curious the new broadcast. I'm excited for it because it's going to be different, and different is good because I've just been begging to see the ball flight for like a while. Now the new format is going to allow for that. But at new Formatflix, when it's one of the few MLB items they have this year, they've been probably spending the last six months figuring out how they can make the derby as perfect as possible instead of it being one of the many line items that ESPN.
Speaker 4: Had in the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, And I thought I thought that their presentation of Opening Day was special, like it was. It felt like a huge, huge ballgame Yankees giants to open up the season on Netflix. So excited to see what Netflix can do with the home run Derby. Yeah, I mean with the ESPN, I was just begging for Bourman to be back and just dropping random suburbs of Philadelphia and we never got that. So it's time to push forward with new delivery on Netflix, so we'll see how that goes. I do want to push to a different conversation before we get to the player options and the club options that are coming up at the end of this twenty twenty six Major League Baseball season. But Peyton genis I do think it's time for our first check in with our friends at Hampton Farms.
Speaker 3: The best power hitters in the game pride themselves on swinging hard and maximizing exsit velocity, and they can't do that without muscle. Hampton Farms in shell peanuts are a great source of protein, with seven grams in every serving, America's number one brand of in shell peanuts gives you the fuel and strength you need to attack your day like the pros. Hampton Farms peanuts fun to crack, better to eat, Find a bag in your produce aisle, or take twenty five percent off online at Hamptonfarms dot com with code just Baseball. That's one word, just baseball for twenty five percent off.
Speaker 2: What the heck do the Dodgers do in the outfield? And you could be sitting here and saying, Jack, why are you bringing this up? They're the best team in baseball. They just gave Kyle Tucker a four year deal. I'm bringing it up because it's literally the most first world problem we've seen in baseball in the last couple of decades. What they have cooking in the minor leagues with three outfielders that are in the upper miners already is unbelievable, and they have more in the lower levels of the minor leagues as well. Mike Serota is on a seventy game on base streak, yep post Sway Depaula is one of the best hitters in Minor league baseball. Zayer Hope. You mentioned Homard yesterday to get the Ops to nine hundred in Double A, and Eduardo Kintaro is a twenty year old outfielder in High A right now. And Charles Davila looks like one of the better back to ball like well rounded hitters in the lower levels of the minor leagues right now. They have five top seventy prospects on just Baseball's Top one hundred in the outfield, and Andy pa Hayes is blossomed into one of the best center fielders in Major League baseball. Kyle Tucker is on year one of a four year, sixty million dollars a year contract and Taoscar Hernandez will be gone at seasons en. That's abundantly clear. So they clear up one space, they might need to clear up two. How do you see it when you look into your crystal ball? The five year plan for the La Dodgers in the outfield.
Speaker 4: It is the most fascinating iving story.
Speaker 3: The only reason why it's not being discussed a little bit more is because, like you mentioned, it's the first world problem in the Dodgers. No one wants to talk about the next wave of Dodgers' talent.
Speaker 4: After you know the high paid Dodgers talent, the parts.
Speaker 3: But this group is unbelievable and the thing I won't hear like And this is the last time I'll bring it up because I just know that this is going to get clipped out and then people are going to respond to be like, oh, working over time to juice up the Dodgers prospects again. The Tulsa Drillers outfield's the best outfield of.
Speaker 4: Minor league baseball.
Speaker 3: You can ask any scout if you ever see a scattered game, go ask them and what they think about the the Tulsa Drillers outfielders, which is host way to Paula who is a consensus top fifteen prospect in baseball. Now, Zayer Hope, who is on an absolute ridiculous stretch and has been really really productive this year now, and then of course Mike Sirota who's been on Mason seventy straight games. You can play a high level center field and also has plus power and is averaging, you.
Speaker 4: Know, a ninety three to ninety four miles per average ex of velocity.
Speaker 3: And that's not even including Kintaro, who can also play a high level of center field, who, by the way, in his last fifty games at high A has a one seventy one WRC plus it's in three fifty five with one thousand and thirty two ops.
Speaker 4: And then he gets to Charles Davil and so on and so forth.
Speaker 3: My thing is, I get that there's been maybe some confirmation biased in the past where people get excited about it Dodgers prospect.
Speaker 4: He doesn't pan out.
Speaker 3: This ain't that this is extremely extremely rare prospect talent, all almost concentrated on one level. Gintaro has been so good he should be in Double A at this point like he had a slow start, cold weather, and now he's been one of the best hitters in the minor leagues at a twenty years old.
Speaker 4: He should be up at double. There's no room. There's nowhere to put him.
Speaker 3: Because you've got this trio up there. When I look at to Rode, I'm like, Okay, he looks like you've got Andy Paiees again in a way, And I know the skill sets a little bit different when you go to by tool, but in terms of the defensive upside, like you could be something close to that. The power is really shining through and everything beyond that. So Apollo looks like one of the best pure hitters in the minor leagues. It's not going to be a great defender, but he's gotten to a point where he's passable in the corner. He even gives you some sneaky value with the legs. And then hope is power, power power. Maybe the defense isn't going to be very good, but he can run a little bit and he's got a great arm, and it'll make it all work.
Speaker 4: I feel like you've got to move one of those guys.
Speaker 3: You'd think so, because Cantaro's behind and Avalance behind, like, and this might be like peak value for us for a Hope or a Sorota. I think you got to hold on to that guy. And DePaulo sounds like, by Katie Wu's reporting that he's untouchable for the most part, So what do you do?
Speaker 2: So the last couple conversations about block Dodger prospects that we've had, they've turned into really solid ballplayers at the major league level. Miguel Vargas was kind of the first Dodger prospect conversation that we had in the early stages of the call up. As you put like kind of positioned away and we started doing more and more prospect stuff as just baseball. The first long conversation we had about a Dodger prospect was Miguel Vargas. Vargas is an All Star now with the White Sox. Michael Bush was another one. It's like, how can you find this guy's at matts? Michael Bush now is in All Star caliber first baseman for the Chicago Cups. The next conversation we had was Dalton Rushing. How do you find it? That's for Dalton Rushing. Rushing has some interesting subplots so far in the Dodger season. But Dalton Rushing is a hell of a baseball player. And now we're having this conversation about other guys, and we didn't even mention the middling outfielders that they have. So I mentioned the three outfielders that they're running out pretty much every day at the major league level, right, Kyle Tucker and right, Taascar Hernandez and left, and the all star Andy Pahes in centerfield. Alex call is their fourth outfielder. Alex Calls a legit good fourth outfielder in Major League baseball. Their Triple A depth the thing keeping de Paula, Serota Hope, and mind you Kendall George, who stole one hundred bases last year in the minor leagues with Double A Tulsa. It's a four dep outfield in Double A right now. The reason none of them are in Oklahoma City is because the outfield there is James Tibbs, It's Alec Thomas who they picked up. It's Ryan Ward, and it's Jack Swinsky. Now Siwinsky's not on the forty man like. They can move off of Thomas and Sewinsky when they see fit. Hell, they could probably get something for Ryan Ward, but they are so backlocked in the outfield where it's hard to even figure out a way to like push the priority guys up to Triple A Oklahoma City because you have enough intrigue in the Triple A outfield right now, it's so convoluted and to your point, it almost feels like you're obligated to swing big somewhere else on the roster and use your outfield surplus to do it. And there's a world where like, Okay, Hope can lead a package, but you want Alec Thomas too. You want TIBs where like we can depart with three or four outfielders that have legit intrigue for a front line, front line guy. If Schoopl's getting moved, he's going to LA like that, that's my coming away with that. I understand that Atlanta could be in the mix. I understand that Milwaukee could be in the mix. If schools getting moved because of what LA has, he's going to Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Well, and here's the funny thing is, because I think that's how every other front office is looking at it. I think you probably have a situation where the Dodgers are saying, well, we don't want to set the market again, and like this, especially this year, we don't want to set the market. There's not that many good rentals out there. Besides Schooble, we have the most prospects. We're the team that you know you're not going to when we try to say, hey, we don't want to take on that.
Speaker 4: Salary, you're not going to buy that.
Speaker 3: So it's one of those instances where I can see, you know, Friedman and co. Just kind of playing KOI because until the eleventh hour, because they don't want to set this freaking market.
Speaker 4: And I thought the KDI will.
Speaker 3: Report, and I think there's validity to it, of course, like I think this is obviously she's one of the best in the BIS. But I also think some of it is probably the Dodgers like posturing a little bit, saying that they want to trade high upside or they want to trade some of their outfields chrip plus for high upside minor league talents, like like a rare prospect for prospect trade That.
Speaker 4: Sounds really fun.
Speaker 3: Those twos are really hard to come by because I know more about my prospect and you know more about your prospect, and we're going to value our prospects.
Speaker 4: I've talked to be about this.
Speaker 3: And like, that's why they don't happen very much, because you're wondering what they might know about their prospect that you don't know, and they're wondering the same thing about your guy.
Speaker 4: Because it's just tougher, the information is not as.
Speaker 2: Ry and sometimes and sometimes it turns into a Nick York and Quinn Priester trade where it looks incredibly lopsided a year later.
Speaker 3: And to build on that, are you going to want to go high upside prospect for high upside prospects swap with the Dodgers who have the most scouts and the most help and all these different I don't know if I want.
Speaker 4: To do that.
Speaker 3: So they don't want to set the market, but they also are going to be in a spot there well, I don't think anyone's gonna want to make that trade with them, and it becomes a very fascinating situation. You also don't want to put yourself in a spot though, where the Dotters at the end of the day, they're very calculated and just because they they can doesn't necessarily mean they will. And that's the one part that's really interesting because like, if it's Hope plus for a rental, Schooble like, yeah, you could go do it, but maybe it doesn't fit what they, you know, see, value wise, and maybe it's just too out there.
Speaker 4: The reality is they can do whatever they want to me.
Speaker 3: I feel like Hope, as much as I love him, is the odd man out, because to Paula is just I think, on a different level in terms of the likelihood of transitioning into major league Baseball and having this success because of the hit tool and then also the power still just continuing to burgeon for him. And then with Sarota, he's a center fielder and I know you have one, but there's just so much more value to that, and then you get the power and the speed as well. And it feel as like, if there's someone that's gonna go, it's gonna be Hope. But even at that point, you have Cantaro behind who looks like he's gonna be a guy that can move through the minor leagues very quickly. You laid out all the other kind of surrounding pieces as well, and going into next year you presume, okay, you move on from taoscar Does that just kind of open the door right away for to Paula think witha so you just let him go destroy trip away until you know something happens. That's where it's just it becomes really fascinating and you might have you cross the bridge when he there, but you might have a huge like blocked prospect problem.
Speaker 2: Again, and the Otani dilemma exists because of course you want Shoho Tani on your roster. But the modern way to use the DH spot is kind of is kind of a revolving door of Okay, this outfielder doesn't really have in everyday spot or this first basement doesn't really have in everyday spot, and you can have four different guys DH depending on the day. That's how again, ten lineups around Major League Baseball are looking at the designated hitter. The Dodgers don't have that luxury, but they do have the luxury of having the greatest player to ever play this game as their everyday DH moving forward. So it's it's really really hard. And the thing that I guess I keep thinking of at the big league level because Tucker's immovable. You're not gonna move Kyle Tucker. You just gave him two hundred and forty million dollars over four years, yes, clear cut. Let taoskar walk thank him for his services, and then Depaula comes up or Serota comes up, whichever guy like really kicks down the door. He plays left field. How long is Andy pai Haes going to be the center fielder for the Dodgers? You think ten years or you think three more, and then he's off and running, like.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Do they let someone else pay Andy Payes. It's kind of similar to the Seeger conversation. They let somebody else pay Corey Seeger and the Dodgers ran into a shortstop issue for a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which which was a surprising part because I think to your point, by the time that Payes would be hitting free agency, you would have clarity on if Mike sirod as a big leaguer or not, you know, if it's all going to translate to the big leagues. Of course, he looks by all indications, looks like a big leaguer. We're talking about the guy that is running an average egs of velosity of ninety four miles per hour and is chasing it an eleven percent clip and his guy on base seventy straight times.
Speaker 4: Most way to Paula the same story.
Speaker 3: Right, Like we're talking about a guy that has in a one thousand OPS against fastballs, a nine to sixty ops against breaking balls, and an eight hundred ops against change ups and splitters, ninety two miles per hour average its velocity as well for Depolo, who by the way, just turned twenty one and still has more room for strength, it has already made a mechanical adjustment to improve against secondaries. I think that's the way they line it up here is you have the clear spot for Depola next year or like at some point next year to get up there and help them and on the minimum, and then you have Saroda as like the air apparent if you don't want to pay pies. If Soroda gets up there and you know there's always ways to find that Batchum gets there up there and struggles and you don't.
Speaker 4: Feel like you have that air apparent, but you also have Cantaro behind.
Speaker 3: I think there's just a world where and I'm always believer in taking the bird in hand, and after saying I'll see a big leaguer, established big league, established base borderline all star. We got these young guys like that's usually going to be a recipe for failure, especially for a team that's perpetually in.
Speaker 4: World Series mode.
Speaker 3: But when you've got the two irons in the fire of Kintaro and Sooda, I think by the time that Pahes is getting ready for free agency, I think those guys will prove to the Dodgers that they've gotten enough Internally.
Speaker 2: It's so cool, it's it's a crappy conversation for twenty nine other fan bases to hear. But if you love baseball and you love watching dominance from young are or from young outfielders, and you love watching kind of the best churn through and how the best become the best, the Dodger conversation is a unicorn of a conversation. It just seems like they're running a different race at point.
Speaker 3: And this is you know, Eduardo Cantaro signed for three hundred thousand dollars as an international free agent.
Speaker 4: Apaulo was a bigger ticket guy.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, you know, you could have signed with any team and anyone could have picked him up.
Speaker 4: So Rota was slipped too far in the draft.
Speaker 3: Every team could have picked him almost three times, and then the team that did pick them traded him for that much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it looks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's parody issues that you can, you know, lean towards when it comes to the payer, But like this conversation in totality has nothing to do with that. And that's why, you know, the Dodgers are also the gold standard on the other side of things too, And it's fun to just watch the way that their their talent makes its way to the major leagues. The thing that's most fascinating to me is watching who they do identify as that piece for them, because it is so hard to crack that big leagu roster and what they do with the pieces that maybe they don't identify. Like if they can pull off that prospect for prospect deal, what kind of picture, what kind of other player would zayre Hope would they be?
Speaker 4: Okay? Part of it?
Speaker 3: Is it two really interesting prospects? Is it a picture in triple A? Is it a picture on high A with crazy stuff?
Speaker 4: Like? That's where I love to see their process because their process is as good as anybody's.
Speaker 2: They moved Michael Bush and Yencio Monte for Zayre Hope and Jackson Ferris, and Ferris had the makings of a top one hundred prospect for quite a while there. So, I mean that tells you if they are going to make a move with some of these unproven commodities but exciting commodities, you better know who you're dealing with. And everybody talks about not trading with the Rays. If they're gonna make these tenC tiny moves, stop trying to trade with the Dodgers. Sirwinowski's in that Dodger system now, right. He was like kind of an under the radar piece of the puzzle last year and Fiducial made his way to Tampa one.
Speaker 3: I mean, Hope was like a middle round pick, that back half of the draft pick, and you know they identified him. Arris was supposedly the headliner, right and he struggled down triple A a little bit, but he's still twenty two and it's the PCL.
Speaker 4: But with Hope, now they cash in on him.
Speaker 3: It's like that's gonna be a fun trade web as well to just continue to watch.
Speaker 4: But his values going up and up and again.
Speaker 2: The Cubs are happy with Bush, but the Dodgers, they just opened up a whole new world of opportunities for themselves with that trade. All right, we're gonna get to a notable player and club options that are coming up at the end of the twenty twenty sixth season. We've already heard from Hampton Farms. Arm I kind of want you to guide us through like notable players that have player options for next year club options for next year. Before we get to the guys with player options, do want to expand on the great thing that we're going to do on Tuesday night in Philadelphia at Other Half Brewing. It's going to be so much fun. I unfortunately will not be there, but you're gonna be there. Our Marine Layer guys are gonna be there. It's going to be interactive. Peter Apple's going to be there, Peyton is going to be there as well, Elijah too. So we got really a whole bunch of members of the Just Baseball Gang. They're going to be out there at o Other Half Brewing in Philly on two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of of We're gonna do an All Star watch party.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have trivia going as well with prizes with from our partners, some you know, sign memorabilia, a lot of really awesome stuff there. So very pumped about that. Other Half brewing. Also, it looks like an unreal spot they've got, I've heard. I was talking to Tim Kelly, who's done great Philly stuff for us and it works with On Pattinson, which was on the show, and he said, really really good beer.
Speaker 4: The food there is great and it's an awesome spot.
Speaker 3: So we're excited to do the Baseball Trivia giveaways there while we're watching the game and then you know, just hang out and be able to meet everybody. So the RSVP for this is in the episode description. Please be sure to RSVPN there. It's five dollars for select beers, all Star hot dog specials, all this other stuff that's gonna be so much fun and I would love to hang out with you there in Philly July fourteenth, from seven pm to eleven pm for the All Star Game.
Speaker 2: If you're trying to get into your soccer bag right now, Number one highly recommend watching Anthony Dubundo's stuff over at the Road yea, And number two. Dubund shot Peter and I a text and we were on the other half brewing lineup. It's like just Baseball going to be doing their watch party next Tuesday during the All Star Game. So du Bundo if you want to talk World Cup, I hope Dubundo is going to be there. But yeah, so much fun. All right, Let's get to the player and the club options that are coming up at the conclusion of the twenty twenty six season are canvas is yours take us where you want to go. You want to go guys with player options and then guys with club options.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's start with the players, because I think that the clubs are a little bit more cut and dry for the most part this year. I want to start with the one that like seems like a no brainer. But with the reports that just like and you can take it with a grain of salt, but the general reports that Bobashet could want to potentially opt out. I just want to revisit this because we've talked about it briefly, but through a whole segment here. Let's just go through the scenarios here, because the immediate reaction by everybody was, no, he's not how could you opt out of that deal?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: It's you'd be opting out of two years, seventy nine million dollars. Now he would be entering free agency again at age twenty nine. But even if he sprints through the finish line, which I think he will, he's sprinting right now. With the way that Bishet has been playing, I don't know if he necessarily increased his value by getting a year older, right Like, I don't I don't know if that's gonna do it.
Speaker 4: I do think that in one side.
Speaker 3: Of it, though, you could argue that he has proven capable of, you know, playing a solid third base, which I do think helps his case, and proven to just be able to get by at short stoup when he was there, which we already know, like he's not going to be good there, but he's not going to be a total total my ability like he's been through other stretches. Bashett had a four hit game on June third, and since then he is a one forty four WRC plus. That's more of who he is, right, So if he keeps that going the rest of the way, Let's say he finishes the year with a Let's let's just say, for the sake of argument, he duplicates last season.
Speaker 4: Would it behoove him?
Speaker 3: It's a opt out of two years seventy nine million.
Speaker 4: That's thirty nine point five million aav.
Speaker 3: I just don't see how The other reason why I don't think you do this before I kick it to you, Jack, Yeah, is I think there's an there's an opt out after twenty seven as well, So why not guarantee yourself another I think what have been like, I'm trying to make sure I have the each year correct because it's it's a little bit different. But why not guarantee yourself another year at Let's say you stay for run number thirty nine point five million AAV and then if you have a huge year there, you can still enter free agency at age thirty, which is still relatively young.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So two things jump out. Number one the possible change and structure to the top market guys in terms of contracts, how long they can sign, how big of money. That's the thing that looms large this offseason. So can you sneak in under the tag of possible changes? Who knows what those changes are possibly going to look like. The other thing that jumps out with Bashet is that big two nine versus three to zero. Number thirty is a huge number in free agency if you're a thirty year old free agent. It's like gas prices. You know, there's a reason gas prices are always three seventy nine a gallon that's had a three eighty a gallon seventy nine cents looks a heck of a lot better than eighty cents, And it's that number in the ten spot there where. If he is a twenty nine year old free agent, you wonder how much grace that buys him. Oh, he's still so young. Oh he's just scratching the surface of his peak, you know, always right in the middle of his peak years versus thirty. All of a sudden, you blink and he's thirty two. All of a sudden, you blink and he's thirty five. So you wonder if he's trying to cash in on that long term deal and he feels like he can maximize his earning potential if he is a twenty nine year old free agent, But honestly, the way he's played, the way this season has gone from afar, I feel like it would be kind of silly to forfeit north of forty million dollars for next year. If I was Bishet.
Speaker 3: That is a good devil's advocate, though, right is, there would be potential restrictions, which we don't know, depending on how the CBA goes and then yeah, he would be entering closer to age thirty one. I would have to get the exact birthday, but he regardless, on the other side of thirty. And it's funny. It sounds silly, but I've had agents tell me the same exact thing. Like for some reason, there's just this huge difference entering free agency at twenty nine versus thirty thirty and a half.
Speaker 4: Whatever it.
Speaker 2: Maybe your favorite infomercial has has that cool vacuum at ninety nine ninety nine plus eight ninety nine shipping and handling.
Speaker 3: It's just funny that the models still like it works on the models too crazily.
Speaker 4: But and I get it, I get it.
Speaker 3: Every year really matters when you're paying, you're really the biggest thing is you're paying for the prime years. So like when you are suffering through potentially aged thirty four to thirty five thirty six season, having an extra prime year there is is going to make all the difference in the world.
Speaker 4: So on that and that hanging over, let's assume.
Speaker 3: For the sake of argument, there's no restrictions and all these crazy like those those crazy proposals, like it doesn't end up happening, and free agents can sign for as much as as humanly possible just for the sake of consistency of what we've known. Because that's so unknown, how can we even speak on it?
Speaker 4: Right? What do you think Bishett is most likely to do? Slash?
Speaker 2: Like, based on what we know, we were talking about bo possibly getting two hundred million dollars from the Philadelphia Phillies this past offseason, Right, that was the number that we were talking about. Yeah, when he hits free agency a year later on a year where he was more underwhelming, and I understand that he's been hotter as of late, and you laid it out for the first two months, will torpedo a season long? Uh? You know number? You just take a peek at that and you think, is someone going to give him two hundred million this offseason?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't see a world. So if you're telling me that you're not going to get the long term two hundred million dollar contract and you're leaving two for seventy nine on the table, what are we doing?
Speaker 4: The one Devil's advocate is that this free agent class.
Speaker 2: Is bad, bad, not good at all. Another big ticket bat like, who are the other big ticket bats A Rosarena. Yeah, like it's kind of.
Speaker 4: It, and are you gonna want to pay that guy?
Speaker 2: Like jazzisom another one, thank you, Peyton like man, so Bashett would automatically become free agent one I think.
Speaker 3: I think, I mean for Bats, Yeah, and he'd be free agent two overall, I I mean, I think it's Scoobale obviously, Peralta, Jazz, Michael King, Randy, Brandon Lau.
Speaker 4: That's the one.
Speaker 3: I guess Devil's advocate. But the market's the market. If no one's wanting to do it, no one's wanted to do it. Yeah, However, in this in a world where like you want to upgrade your team like significant, he might be the only guy offensively that can really really do that for you, depending on how you feel about like Jazz and yeah and of course Randy, but that's gonna be a shorter term deal.
Speaker 4: So that that's where does that change anything for you?
Speaker 2: It changes minimal for me. But again, like there's just so much unknown and I'm trying to get it out of my head. But yeah, it changes minimal for me because you know, he he could have been paid like a top dog last year and he didn't he got He got a one plus one plus one deal. So yeah, man, it really doesn't change too much for me. I understand that naturally the top that available will get more money than they would if they were bat six in another class. But at the end of the day, these organizations are aware of who's available five years out, and it.
Speaker 4: Gives him another year. He's quoite settled in New York.
Speaker 3: I think the team's going to be hopefully better offensively next year, just in the fact that they'll have sodn Lindorm more consistently and maybe add some other pieces, and they it can't be worse offensively, and he gives them another year to show out and and try to earn more money because again he can opt out again. If he didn't have to opt out after twenty seven, I think it'd be a little bit more interesting, like if you had to wait if he was opting into two years. But the fact that it's a one plus one plus one, I think this is I think this is fine, and ultimately, like I think he opts in, it's just too much money to pass on.
Speaker 2: Yep, that makes perfect sense. Who you want to talk about next?
Speaker 4: Next one?
Speaker 3: I think is is more obvious the other way Michael King, and I kind of hope most of these guys opt outs. Is free agent class stinks he's talked about. So he declined the qualifying offer and then he signed with the Padre resigned with the Pages for three year seventy five million. That's twenty five aav right, so great decision. It's four million. It was three million more than the qualifying offer. But he also gets options, right, so it was guaranteed one year twenty two million this year, and then he forfeits two years if he opts out two years fifty.
Speaker 4: Three million, So a little bit backloaded.
Speaker 3: But if you opposide the serie answers, free agency at thirty one is another one plus one plus one if you he could also opt out in twenty seven, which he would forfeit one year thirty million.
Speaker 4: I think with the way he's thrown and.
Speaker 3: Still relatively young, like he's not on the right side of thirty. But there was some questions with the injuries and stuff like that last year, and I think just with the way King has been seems like he's a he's an opt out guy.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, yeah, man, get your five year deal. Michael King has been awesome. He's such a joy to watch do this man. Yeah, I mean he's already barreling towards one hundred and seventy innings again, so absolutely opt out, and I think someone does give him a four or five year deal. It's some big time money because that would take him through his age thirty five season. It seems like while pitchers don't get long term deals, they do get deals that go way later into their thirties, like there's minimal hesitance or there has been minimal hesitance to pay a thirty seven year old pitcher because you kind of know what they are and you can see metrically if someone's taking a downturn, and there is no evidence of a downturn at Michael King.
Speaker 3: The only evidence, I guess would be that he's his strikeout rates down four percent, But like, I don't know if that is like a major flag when he's preventing runs at the same clip and has been just equally as effective and the peripherals are kind of exactly what they were last year too, So I think that would be the only area if people were concerned about that. But like if I were Michael k and in this free agent class specifically too put me on the open market. I think he's gonna be okay, But that would be the only thing is just the lack of case. But and maybe there's maybe there's something if you dig a little bit deeper into like the pitch data that teams may not like.
Speaker 4: But I don't.
Speaker 3: The only other Devil's advocate there would be just that he could also do the same thing again, like opt out or opt in for one year and then have the last year to opt out of. But that would be the thirty million years, so like do you want to opt in? Then you'd be kind of tempted to opt in again. But in terms of like pitch velocity and everything like that, Vlow's the same. All of his pitches are playing pretty well. I think he's he's an opt out and go back to the market and squeeze out a couple extra years because I think with his injury history a little bit too, if he can just show that he can throw one hundred and fifty one hundred and sixty innings, which he's on pace to throw more than this year, I think teams will be happy to pay him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so, Corbyn Burns is a no brainer.
Speaker 3: He's going to opt in. I mean setback as well. Don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 4: To you, am I. He's going to opt in.
Speaker 3: And if I were on the if I was working for the Astros, I think I'd be on the hot seat right now because I would have been pushing them to make this deal too. And this deal, I don't know if I would have loved this structure, but if they told me this was the only way to get him, I I probably would have done it.
Speaker 4: And it's not going great right now.
Speaker 3: Obviously he's showing flashes seeing flash of what what I loved, but emphasis on flashes. So he's this is a very convoluted contract and we've talked about it a lot, and and to a degree, I think it's kind of poison pillish. But this is one where I just think with the way that he has struggled. Sent for three years fifty four million, it's up to sixty three million with bonuses.
Speaker 4: There's two opt out windows.
Speaker 3: Also the astros O posting fee every time he opts in, that's going to increase in value. Yeah, I just feel like for Ami, he's not going to forfeit. What is what two years thirty six million? You're not giving him that on the open market right now?
Speaker 2: No one, no, hell no, my I and I love the Peyton flash numbers from inside edge. He's a swing and miss machine. Guys cannot barrel him up whatsoever. That wrong way slider is really fun. But to your point, it's so jeklin Heidi, and tetsuy Imai controls whether he looks like a front line starter or like an unpitchable starting pitcher. And when you're that volatile and it's not hit or dependent, that's a terrifying guy to pay. So to your point, it is poison pilly. But also im I could opt in next year and it could look awesome. And then that's the saying like that's the beauty of the one plus one plus one and you have multiple player opt outs. If you were to ask me like, how does em go about the next three years, I think it's pitched this year, opt in, throw again next year in Houston, then opt out yep.
Speaker 4: And I think that's the goal.
Speaker 3: Like there was all the story about him getting acclimated in that whole process. I think there's obviously just the getting used to throwing the big league ball and just getting honing in on the command. Remember, command was an issue for him early in his in his MPB career. Then he really saw things click and turn into one of the best pitchers out there. And now there seems to be this command barrier, and you hope that you have the similar progression for the astros.
Speaker 4: I mean, money's always a little.
Speaker 3: Bit with how they're working up against the CBT, but at the same time, like I think they're happy to some of the other aspects so that it gets a little bit more expensive with the posting fee and whatever, like, it doesn't make it great, but for round numbers, if you just say, like, hey, you're gonna get another shot with am I here at one year twenty million dollars, Like I think they're they're fine with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially its effectively twenty nine and a half.
Speaker 3: Like Mike Burrows just got optioned, Like yeah, it's truly is it is one year like twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is. And Arraghetty like the regression was going to come at some point for Arraghetty. So it really does seem like as weird as it sounds, because there are some times where you might can't get out of the first inning. He is one of the safer starting pitching options that Houston has right now.
Speaker 3: It's an expensive experiment, but the upside there I think is worth it. The Astros would rather have an expensive short term experiment like this with all the other posting fees and the incentives that they put into it, than you know, having to give him two hundred million over however many years, which is what they were trying to get at the beginning.
Speaker 2: So he's gonnad the Lance and they've done the Lance mcculors thing before, like they've had the stomach a long term deal before.
Speaker 4: So I think that one's an opt in.
Speaker 3: But at that after next year, who knows he could throw well enough Torris an easy opt out and he would enter free agency at thirty.
Speaker 2: So yeah, still it still.
Speaker 4: Works for him.
Speaker 3: A couple other quick hitters, Luis Severino with the player option. I think if if he declines it, he leaves two years forty five million on the table. Him being hurt this year really kind of throws a wrench. And what I think actually would have been a pretty fun conversation. But what if this guy just says, I really don't want to throw in the SUT, and I really don't want to throw you know, in presumably Vegas as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it would. It would take sever reno if you the last year in Sacramento.
Speaker 4: Okay, So it would just be the SUT.
Speaker 2: It would just be the SUT. And I love that the SUT is catching on. It's good.
Speaker 3: What do you think it's a shoulder issue. I probably spooks teams enough. He'd probably take a one year.
Speaker 2: I think he takes his cash. I think he takes the one year, twenty two million dollar thing. And you know, Sevy is still like if he opts in, he hits the open market at thirty four years old compared to thirty three years old, that's that's like kind of pennies. I don't know if it matters much. I think he just takes his guaranteed twenty two million dollars because if he were to come off a bad year and an injury year and hit the open market, he's getting what one year for seven I.
Speaker 3: Think more a little bit more, but ten twelve, thirteen, Yeah, like pocket That was kind of my question because yeah, it's one year, twenty two million left, So like that's what you would be forfeiting if he opted out. I assume he's not going to throw again this year. Have they said, I don't think so. If he doesn't throw again this year, like, yeah, it's tough because he was actually throwing them all pretty decently this year. Yeah, so that last one actually, and then we'll just quick hit on two other obvious ones.
Speaker 4: But this one Quay Holmes.
Speaker 3: So if he declines his option, he's forfeiting one year, twelve million.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: Let's operate in the worst case scenario because if he comes back in throws, which he's going to, but if he comes back and throws, well, it's even more of an o brain. Let's say he comes back and throws kind of poorly. I still think he's a no brainer. Decline that and go hit free agency.
Speaker 2: He has built up the capitol to the point where he is absolutely opting out of this. He's a free agent. If Holmes throws, well, he's a trade candidate and he is going to be a free agent and he's going to get himself a nice three year contract. I think this guy has allowed a slug under three hundred this year. It's one of the best marks in Major League Baseball. He's also got a two four ERA so far this year. A opponents are opsing shy of six hundred against him. Again, it's all courtesy of inside edge. When Holmes has been on the field, he's been gross. We know he's ground balls at will, the bedrock of if all goes to shit. He's a really good reliever. Like you give that guy another three year deal in a heartbeat, I think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's it's a no brainer. I think.
Speaker 3: And for him, like in this class, pretty good situation for him to be able to, you know, I think, get a decent contract. Drew Rasmussen's club options hilarious, no brainer pick up, like they're gonna what a deal. Same with Yondi Dias. Like those are two of the most obvious club option pickups ever. Welcome to Raise Baseball. I have a fun one for you. Would you rather pick up your option for twenty million on Luis Robert Jr. Or pick up an option for twenty one million for Sandy al Contra. I'm not answering, I know, I know, but that was rhetorical because the obvious answer, correct is al Cabayo.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 3: Sandy's been one of the you know, just most consistent in terms of innings, workload, whatever. Teams would pay that even if he was struggling a little bit more than he is, and he's been really solid the last couple of times out. Those innings that he's able to give you are so huge. I gave you the rhetorical because police Roberts getting that contract declined. And what I want, what I want to think about now is what does that guy get on the open market?
Speaker 4: What does a Luise Robert open market deal look like?
Speaker 2: One year? Nine million dollars? Who's the sucking seven? No, I don't know, probably the Angels, Yeah, no idea.
Speaker 4: So that's it. That was all I had.
Speaker 2: I just thought, real quick, you think Sandy leads baseball and innings pitch this year? It seems like he's barreling towards it. Yeah, yeah, I think, yeah, I think it's gonna be him or Sanchez.
Speaker 3: We'll look at the totals right now. Sanchez at one twenty and a third. Sandy's at one hundred and twenty three and two thirds. You know why, I think Sandy will and Christopher Sanchez is built like this too. So it's one of these two guys. Even when they aren't good, like it's just you just you don't have it that day, right, Like Sandy's gonna give you seven, Christopher's will give you seven. It might be five earned they didn't have it that day. They're still not making the bullpen wear anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anything. It's such a joy to watch him go to work constantly and like wearing that where it's like no, no, no, Friday is my game. I'm not gonna make anyone piece this together. It's my game. And Sanchez that's him too. And the good news for Sandy and Sanchez is both those guys are awesome when they're at the top of their game, and they're at the top of their game often. But yeah, one year nine for Robert, I think maybe one year for eight and that it'll be an angel. We'll say see you now. I don't really have anything else on the agenda.
Speaker 4: What you got, That's all I got. I'm excited for all story.
Speaker 3: We again hope to see you guys at other half brewing, and we got some fun stuff on the call up putting out a lot of stuff is the futures game.
Speaker 4: We're gonna be stacking.
Speaker 3: Up a lot of interviews on there with some of the top prospects in baseball, So keep an eye out for that, and yeah, looking forward to the coverage draft. Check out our draft stream as well. We're gonna be live that. This is gonna be our best one yet. I've been spending hours with Colby setting up like that, the tech behind it. I've ordered contraptions i've never heard of. Got the HDMI too, Mini HDM I to whatever. This is gonna be a lot of fun. You got myself, Tyler Jennings and Peter Jack might be coming into help out to hop in and talk with us for a little bit too. We got a lot of b roll podcast piece ready to go production wise, that's gonna we're gonna kill it.
Speaker 4: So I'm really excited about that podcast.
Speaker 3: P's been grinding to set everything up on the back end too, and I think you guys are really gonna enjoy this draft stream, so keeping out for that. Will be live during the draft on our YouTube, and we'd love to see as many people in there as possible.
Speaker 2: Let's go, dude. We will talk to you guys to tie a bow on the week tomorrow. Thanks everybody,