Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: You, I am all in with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I I'm all in podcasts one to eleven productions. iHeartRadio, iHeart podcast, I heeart Media. I'm going to be appearing next weekend at MotorCity Comic Con in Farmington, Illinois, November ten, eleven twelve, so come on out and see me. I'm also going to be a Columbus Galaxy Con on December two and three, so I hope to see you out there, y'all. This is twenty one and is the loneliest number of season six, Episode seven. I am joined by my intrepid crew. Today we are scaled down a little bit.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 1: I bring you the One, the Only, the Queen, the newly minted Queen of the Realm, Suzanne French, and the overseer Amy Sugarman.
Speaker 4: Suzanne. Wait before we start, Scott, you don't have to be a part of this because it's like Girleie Gilmore Gossip.
Speaker 1: Do I do I need to you know what? I'm removing the headphones.
Speaker 4: You want to enjoy this. You want to enjoy this like.
Speaker 1: To the fridge.
Speaker 3: Now, okay, fine, Suzanne, did you see that Milo got married and his wife new wife's last name?
Speaker 4: I mean, I was like shook, yes, yeah, Mariano. It's perfect. It was fate. It was meant to be. It's so good. It's like would have named her baby Logan. It's he couldn't have done better. It's so good.
Speaker 5: It was meant to be. I think it's awesome, totally cute photos.
Speaker 4: We're happy for him. Okay, Scott, we're done with our with our gossiping.
Speaker 1: Are you back cereal?
Speaker 4: Oh my god? Okay, So I did tell Scott that I had to talk about cereal today. Was it last week where we were talking about our favorite cereals? The two weeks ago?
Speaker 1: It was recent, it's within recent memory.
Speaker 4: Which again I found honeycomb which, like, I'm so hungry right now, kind of want to crack get open. But Scott, for you, Oky Crisp, just start your day off with a bowl of sugar. Epic. First of all, huge bag of money.
Speaker 1: Honeycombs came in. We used to get the extra large yer that was so great, industrial size.
Speaker 4: I was inspired. I don't but guess what on top of that, guess what was sold out? Only sold out what target target Northern California, Waldeck what malamars? They were like, we cannot fulfill your order. Hum, like, oh god, the.
Speaker 1: Chocolate chunks having twenty first birthday? Rory, you know what did you think? Gang? Huh?
Speaker 5: I loved this episode. This is one of my top ten. I always have enjoyed this one. You have like quirky town people. You've got some Paris, You've got some Lane, You've got Shenanigans with Babbitt and Maury. It's great Luke and Rory scene.
Speaker 4: Like, I just love this episode. I think it was a great episode. Scott you with that drink. I was laughing so hard. And then of course Laura Life just when she's when she finally when she finally talked to More and is like, your drink is gross?
Speaker 1: She said's disgusting. Yeah, yeah, I I rate this one way up there. This is also one of my I think top ten. I think we can call it the top ten. Wow, easily easily top ten. It was a joy from start to finish, and I think it was very even very balanced in the production quality, sound quality, lighting, acting, fighting. It was very very balanced, yes, and it had a nice flow and it was easy to watch, and it was easy to laugh with. I mean, it cracked me up on several several moments. It's just it's such a unique show. It's such it does what it does better than any show I've ever seen. Its just it sort of tips into the absurd with the Maury but bet stuff, yes, with the hanging, and I mean, it's just just a great ride. That was a great forty minutes.
Speaker 4: The town looked amazing, The Gilmore's house looked amazing, that party looked amazing.
Speaker 1: This is Amy Sherman Palladino at her best. There's firing on all cylinders, and with this ease of writing and the ease of the humor.
Speaker 4: And when did it air? When did it air?
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, does anybody have that information? I don't know the exact date.
Speaker 4: On October twenty fifth, so right either in sweeps or just about to be sweep. So it's like a big episode.
Speaker 1: Very impressive episode that really played on the tension between mother and daughter and coming back together. It was really the kind of the riveting narrative that kept me hoping, hoping, hoping that they were going to get back together and have a conversation and boy, what a tease that was. And then when they finally had the conversation, it was, it was, it was, It was pretty glorious. But then it was cut short and we realized with that devastating moment at the end that life has changed, and life moved on, and my life moves on, and we all have to move on. And the rory we knew and loved that was attached to lorealized hip is maybe gone forever. And what a what a moment the show, the appeal of the show, It hit me quite clearly that you know this show. I don't think any other show or when when when you do this, well this type of thing, well this this sense of nostalgia wanting to go back and fix your life, and we just can't do that, but boy, if we could, it would be so sweet, you know, that that sensation of maybe a lack of fulfilled and a little bit of loss but with a Wii and nostalgia all mixed in and hope, and it's just just very powerful.
Speaker 4: It's very very powerful.
Speaker 1: The themes that they play.
Speaker 4: On is that's so true, Scott, It's so true. It's because there's so much to that conversation that begins with Richard and Lorlai. Then Emily comes in, Lorli removes herself, and you realize, like I couldn't figure out why are they so hung up on sex? Like why are they so weird? Almost? And then you realize, oh my god, it's because of their own daughter. And I don't know why it took me a minute to get that exactly, and their fear and just they will do anything to prevent that.
Speaker 1: Right, all right? And I think we're gonna synopsize with the new synopsisization stylings of Queen Susann Go ahead, all right?
Speaker 5: So this is seasons episode seven, twenty one is the Loneliest number. It aired on October twenty fifth, two thousand and five. As Rory's twenty first birthday approaches, both Lorelai and Rory are saddened by the fact that their ongoing estrangement will keep them from spending the day the way they had always planned. Richard tries to convince Laurlai to help him with a plan to get Rory back to Yale, but Loralai insists that Rory has to make the decision herself. While Richard continues to worry about Rory's future, Emily throws herself into planning an elaborate birthday party. Meanwhile, Emily and Richard are shocked when they realize that Rory and Logan have been having sex.
Speaker 4: My first question is were you surprised? And I was a little bit. I get it, But that Loralai wasn't more into it when Richard was like, we need to do something.
Speaker 5: I think she was. I think she was just kind of frustrated with Richard because she's like, this is what I told you all along, and you guys refuse to listen to me. So I kind of get how She's still kind of like, this is the bed you made, now lay in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Okay, so but but that does that really serve Rory? Right? You know what I mean? In that moment, it's like, okay, we can you know, I can beat you up in this moment, or we can solve the problem. And another thing I thought about this is, you know, thank god things went awry because then we wouldn't have these dramatic moments because these are riveting moments. And so anyway, I just wanted to say I appreciated that she'll be in Yale, And I mean, obviously a different show. And I know we get some some emails about you know, why is Scott always trying to write the show and his ideas suck? And they might be right about that.
Speaker 4: You know what. You know what why though, because we take it so real and we always are analyzing it like it's real life and these people are real. Whereas the reason it goes in certain directions is because writers are writing it to make it dramatic or funny or sad, and so we're it makes sense that we're sort of sometimes rewriting it.
Speaker 1: But we're supposed to feel that loss. We're supposed to get depressed. We're supposed to feel why didn't they just leave her and Yale? And why are they doing this? I have a better idea for the moment, but it doesn't pay off in the longer. Where you going the longer? So they've planned it ahead right right, they know what they're doing. So very satisfying. But uh yeah, I thought I thought that moment maybe was the only moment that I kind of went, eh, you know, Loreli could be a little more.
Speaker 4: I thought she would be more into it.
Speaker 1: Of a team player.
Speaker 4: You know, Well, look, she's mad because she had a plan. They all agreed to the plan, and then Richard is the reason they deep ad from the plan. We understand why he did it. Rory was so upset, he's a grandpa. Then he comes back and says.
Speaker 1: We need a plan, and she's but I think, I think, I think Susanne makes a salient point that the Richard and Emily didn't want to screw up a second time. They were leaving nothing to chance, and they were not going to let Laura I get in the way of that, you know, and not their right, not their kid. But you know, they control her with the money, they controlled her with the guilt and all that. So I can see why she's put off, and I can see what and that's the beauty of it. You can, you can you can relate to everybody's point of view totally and and and that's the beauty of it, right.
Speaker 5: And I think she was also pushing back against you know, Richard's new plan is, Okay, we'll we'll delay her trust fund, we'll buy her a car, we'll buy her a condo. Like he's always trying to trick her, trick Rory into doing what they want. And I think Lorlai was pushing back against that concept because they've done it before. They did it with that party that they only invited the boys to and right the Yale interview, and it's like they always result, it's the whole owner and Laurai doesn't like that.
Speaker 4: It's the premise of the whole show that they bought them back, essentially by paying for Chiltern and ultimately Yale to get to see them, which is what it is. It's how they operate. So yes, it did land a little.
Speaker 1: Right, And so they're attempting to have this kind of transactional relationship with Laurai because they can't really have a real relationship with her. To apply that same transactional relationship to Rory, though, I think, is a mistake. But here's the say, Yes, there's this thing. What Emily and Richard know and what Laura I should probably know, is that a twenty one year old does not have a fully formed brain. This is not a full, fully aware adult person capable of making responsible decisions because there's no long term thinking involved or not or not enough. And I'm not saying that's the case with everyone, and maybe Rory's the exception and probably is, but I think from Richard Emley's point of view, they weren't going to leave it to chance. It's like, right, you know, how many people have you run into in your life or read about who said, you know, I was, I was on a path I thought was great, and my parents just really kind of kicked my ass about it and forced me back on the path. And man, am I glad they did?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I hear that more often than you know the other result well.
Speaker 4: And you can tell like same idea when she says, like put the party furniture in there and then we'll fumigate them. Then I'll tell her there's rats. It's like they rather than empower right a child or a grandchild to make the right decision, they try to force and control it right, which is why they ultimately regularly fail.
Speaker 1: I just think of how many other ways they could have inspired her back to Yale. Right, So if a kid, like if your kid goes bad, if you have a son that goes bad and he's in with bad kids, you know, you take him, you scare him straight, You take him to the lock up and say this is where you're going to end up if you continue to be And that's like a wake up call. That can be a wake up call for a ten year old if you just leave dark extreme. Same thing could have been done with Rory had Richard or Emily And here I go again, rewriting the show hate me. Maybe I'm ready. It taken her to I don't know, a professional mixer of college professors that inspire her, or you know, they could have gotten in touch with some of the publishing houses or whatever of the favorite books she's read, and let's take her on a trip to New York and go to Random House and Penguin. She can meet the editors and yes, we can take her here, and they can tell us stories about, you know, the struggles of these great writers and their education and their relationship with their parents. And they had struggles too, but they chose to stay in school, and look what happened for them. You know, this kind of thing. So there's a million of reactions.
Speaker 4: They could have just had another Mitcham, somebody of his caliber, just say, hey, we all think Mitcham's kind of a turd. Don't listen to him.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: The other thing is, don't you guys think and tell me if I'm wrong? If Loralai, Emily and Richard would have done the original Loralai plan. She would have gone back to Yale, just the three of them talking to her and saying, we want you to go back to Yale. This is not good. The three of them could have.
Speaker 1: Done it right, like an intervention.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, the original plan was good. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think if she had seen the three of them actually agreeing on something, that might have made an impact on her because she'd be like, Okay, these two parties of people never get along. If they're coming together on this, they must really mean it, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a throwaway line. It was a throwaway line in this scene too, but I laughed out loud when she says it's freakish, but you know how like she's talking about how Rory likes school, it's freakish.
Speaker 1: I love the medal and all Bright scene too.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, it was just so off.
Speaker 1: The walk right. What it is the last thing you would ever expect to see in Rory's bed is all Bright.
Speaker 4: I mean it's like, wow, can you remember that at all? Like her being around and how they ended up casting her or like anything.
Speaker 1: Well, I wasn't. I I think I was there the day she was there. But I didn't ge to meet HM because they were in a different part of the they were on a different sound.
Speaker 4: Stage, right, because it was just the two of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, I just remember that day. There was some secret service, I think, and I was going to say it was kind of a big deal, and Madeline all rights here, and you know, I think I was going to lunch and they said, well, you want to go over and watch something, and I say, no, I'm hungry. I want to go to lunch.
Speaker 4: I was trying to look in in my book. They had the authors on to see if they knew I don't know, Susan, do you know anything about the cat?
Speaker 5: They do not. Yeah, I remember there was also some political figures appeared in that episode where they were they had the summer program in Washington, right right, right right, So I don't know either Amy or Dan or somebody must have had some kind of you know, political connections.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I think everybody's a fan, and these people all all have representation in Hollywood. You know, we're speaking engagements, they'll have raps, and everybody's a fan of the show. They love the show was so Madeline probably watched the show with her daughter or her granddaughter or whatever.
Speaker 4: Okay, here's what I found out. Political junkies Amy and Dan would ring up the casting office and rattle off a few names of high profile politicos she'd like to see on the show. Madeline Albright was one of them, so they thought it was worth a shot, threw it out there. Yeah, and Madeline Albright's assistant ring back almost immediately saying she would love to do it, right, wow, right, And that is from the Gilmore Girls companion book.
Speaker 1: And I gotta tell you she did a pretty darn good job.
Speaker 4: I thought so too.
Speaker 1: And on the acting front, for somebody who is not a trained actor to come in there and do a scene with somebody as sophisticated at that point as Alexis Bodell was with her with her chops, right, I mean Alexis, Alexis got really good and she was always good to begin with, naturally good and naturally instinctual and never pushed anything but h man, I mean, she just kept getting better and she was great in.
Speaker 4: This and recreating that scene. So it had to have the feel and the tone to let us all go, oh my gosh, because if you can imagine when people saw this, the first time. They hadn't necessarily seen all the episodes many many times because it's in its first run, so it had to be iconic enough. People were reminiscent enough.
Speaker 1: But people were dvring it and they had that yeah.
Speaker 4: And DVDs, but they weren't. It wasn't the same. You weren't watching things over and over and over watching.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, they'd wear them out. They'd have to buy new DVDs because they.
Speaker 4: Wear before the before burning to the dvs. Before that scene, though, I did chuckle at you and Laura Lai and the dollhouse and she's really going with her thing as you guys tend to do, and you're going with this thing is so heavy? Is your father a Hercules? And then at the very end we get the payoff.
Speaker 1: The time very nice, It was no no, But I loved how Luke treated her and fixed her hair and touched her hair, kissed her on the forehead and just you know, was there for her. I love that kind I love that little detail. I love that kind of stuff me too.
Speaker 4: And is that you? Is that you? Or is that a director?
Speaker 1: So that's not no, that's me making making the relationship believable. It's what what do you do to suspend the audience disbelief that you're in a real committed relationship with this person? How do you behave in this situation? How does this character behave in the situation? So yeah, I felt we really nailed it up. And by the way she walks away, by the way the top comes off, perfect, it was a perfect scene.
Speaker 4: Perfect are Yeah, it was good fun.
Speaker 5: Little inconsistency was when she walks away and she says, I'm gonna go order a pizza. But the reason she went to the door in the first place is because she had already ordered the pizza and the doorbell rang and she thought it was her pizza coming, but it was Richard.
Speaker 1: Sooy, this is why you're a legend. You got you.
Speaker 4: And I like the four oh three am, four oh three am. I like I like how they've done that as they've been apart. We've seen her version, but they're in parallel. Yeah, yeah, and I think that's that's nice. So in a timely manner, we're just a little we almost had it perfect. That it's Halloween, so we all just had Halloween. Now it's Gilmour Halloween. They're they're talking about she's in town. The town looks amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh I roared when when when Bet came on screen, but Bet and Morey came on screen, and the can, the candy, the apples hanging off the trees. You're going to do that again, Sugar, really thinking it's not It's not really that scary, is it. You're gonna do anything. She's just Bet feeling sorry for like, you know, you're a little weird. I feel a little sorry for it. It's not scary, but we're gonna go do our big production of hanging.
Speaker 4: We can go out of order, just because the hell makes.
Speaker 1: Me laugh so hard is that she is such a great actress.
Speaker 4: Totally, that scenems great. And then the scene again, so you see them with the groceries and the whole thing. Then the scene where they're in the yard and you actually see what they do amazing, And then I really thought it was hilarious her idea, and obviously we get the great payoff at the end about the sausage links. But her explained, it's just so good.
Speaker 1: This is some of the best Luke and Laurel I stuff. It was good. It was so strong.
Speaker 4: Well, and I love another line.
Speaker 1: That go feed your psychotic dog.
Speaker 4: And there's another throwaway line where you're making the chicken and you're talking about everything, and she says, will you marry me?
Speaker 3: Like it's just those scenes are so cute.
Speaker 4: I want to do a skin. I'll bring you out and you're like, okay, okay, no way.
Speaker 1: Not great banter, just great banter, isn't it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And isn't it so great? How she drives that stuff, How Lauren just drives it and drives it and drives it and drives it and you can always rely on her. That's why it was so easy to just sort of hang back and throw stuff at her because you knew she was going to be there, you knew her timing was going to be there. It's just wonderful. I really miss doing things with her. She's she's terrific.
Speaker 4: She's you know, I kind of want her to, like work, get a show.
Speaker 1: I thought she's had a show.
Speaker 4: She was on Zoe's Extraordinary Playlists then and then like a singing show.
Speaker 1: But isn't she doing Mighty Ducks? Or is that over? Now?
Speaker 4: That was only two seasons?
Speaker 1: Was it two seasons?
Speaker 4: One with Emilio Estevez, one with Josh Deamel.
Speaker 1: How long ago did that end? A year ago? Two years ago?
Speaker 4: Like a year two years?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: A show show, like a show that we all watch, Sex and the City.
Speaker 1: Well, they're hard to come by, you know, they are, they are, And you know what, she's probably at a point where she wants to take a little break. I mean she's been working NonStop since two thousand, right, this is twenty three years. She's like, work, work, work, work, work, maybe a year or two in between. But yeah, it's it's it's a lot, you know, you really you throw yourself into these shows. It's a lot, It's yeah.
Speaker 4: So right, we think this is hard. One hour a week? How about two hours a week?
Speaker 1: How aboutized fabulous diner show?
Speaker 4: I'm into it? Oh my gosh, I'm so into it.
Speaker 1: Huh. I think you think we could carry our own show? How about a sitcom in front of a live audience?
Speaker 4: For sure? I wouldn't be mad at any of it. Yeah, I'm into it. So the thing that, because you know, we're talking about sort of parallels, I guess this is a loose parallel, but we're really starting to see Emily being Emily and Rory not really totally on board.
Speaker 6: But that.
Speaker 4: Like the birthday party. I like Logan, no whisking plans. I like Logan in this episode, I know everyone.
Speaker 5: I have a small red flag on that scene with Logan and Emily and ri so how I find it hard to believe that Logan didn't know when Rory's birthday was agree.
Speaker 4: I thought that was weird.
Speaker 5: They've been dating for months now. How would they not know one each other's I don't know, small.
Speaker 4: Very no good good good note. It's true. I kind of thought we're and Logan being Logan, he would have had something totally planned, like he had a whole party planned for her. When she walked out arrested, right, I'm like, dude, he's gonna have a twenty first birthday plan.
Speaker 1: But Emily's just panicked, you know, she's she's in desperation mode.
Speaker 4: I love when she says, back to what you were doing and then she walks out and Rory says, hey, Grandma says right, quite comfortable together, Like I'm not. You're like, okay, this is taking a back.
Speaker 1: To point out Emily had some outstanding.
Speaker 4: Looks, great fashion.
Speaker 1: You don't want to steal your thunder on the fashion side.
Speaker 4: No, please, I'm happy you called it out.
Speaker 1: That was the nice blouse, and then Rory had the nice Hartford zoo. Yes, come on, man, there's some goods fashion going on.
Speaker 4: So I would say one of the things that I find I don't know what the word is, but I was so jarred by Lorali and Digger in bed. But I'm never jarred by Luke and Loralai in bed or Logan and Rory in bed.
Speaker 6: I'm always like, so I'm just saying, I know, I know, no, no, it's it's it's nice these two.
Speaker 1: Logan has turned out to be a pleasant surprise, you know, he's he's really turned into kind of kind of a mensch, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I love him. I know everyone hates him, but.
Speaker 1: Why, I don't know. He's a good guy. He's not a bad guy. He's a good guy and he loves her and he he's just struggling with his dad. You know, he's the poor little rich boy Zac line. So you're rich. Huh.
Speaker 4: The party's cue. But to get to that one, the cake tasting, I should not watch the show hungry. I was literally like, what all those cakes? And then I'm talking about sushi?
Speaker 1: I know, right, It's like every time you watch Goodfellas, I get so hungry Italian food. It's like the cooking scenes in prison. Wonderful stuff. Yeah, good, good stuff. Where are we now in the episode?
Speaker 4: Well, so we went out, so we bounced around a little bit. So we get the cake tasting and who's she gonna invite Lane Paris, et cetera. There was a little fringe there with Emily but.
Speaker 1: Oh, because she kept saying that your Asian friend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like, so I don't know if she if it's meant to be cringe or if it's.
Speaker 1: It defines the generation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yea. Then we do all the Halloween bit which we talked about. Then the Porsche, which the Porsche. Sorry to be that girl, but they're so cool driving up in the Porsche. And that's when Richard comes to the window, and I'm just.
Speaker 1: Like, that was really kind of creepily funny with his smile. Hi, I didn't interrupt anything.
Speaker 4: He goes back into Emily and calls it necking and that she's having relations with that boy. Do you think? Do you really think?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 1: Man, it was so good. It was so good. Richard just appears.
Speaker 4: It was good. It's all amusing it's very grandparenting.
Speaker 1: Oh ma.
Speaker 4: Then we go to suki in the kitchen with all the different sausages.
Speaker 1: Oh, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.
Speaker 4: Which was good. And then the invitation came and she was sort of upset by it. I mean, it's moving this This episode really moved along the US.
Speaker 1: It really has some good connective tissue.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Then the scene with the first she gets to have hot roast and the whole thing and she's like, am I dying? And then she goes in.
Speaker 1: You know, they Emily and Richard put Justin Off on it to make it obvious that they were trying to clear the decks here for the the could be the features.
Speaker 4: The whole script was so, I hear, you have a boyfriend, Virtue is a gift? Want to give that gift? That's gone? I have no gift. And then you meet the right person and you have no gift to give, and then she says, oh, dear, do you have to give him a sweater? That scene was so hilarious.
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 5: The two of them were great together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally, so I love it all. And then Emily's party planning just so much party planning and we've got the sushi and the carving station, beef not chicken, the past apps, I mean, the planning. I love it.
Speaker 1: M h yeah, all good, all good.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And then the poolhouse is full of all that crap and you start to.
Speaker 1: Go Emily, work in her game, work in her game plan right, Emily just forcing Rory into the bedroom right next to Richard that they can keep tabs on her an end the sexing, the end of the sexing.
Speaker 4: The recurring mentions of the chocolate box. Also just we're so good, just she thinks chocolate boxes grow on trees. Chocolate boxes do not throw on trees. Like and then the call. I love the scene with the phone call and you're in the diner with Laura line she's first of all, the whip cream on the chocolate chip pancakes. You're like, I'm gonna be sick that.
Speaker 1: That was a really funny first line off camera watching or do that. That's gonna make you sick. You're gonna get sick. It was like Luke in a nutshell, right.
Speaker 4: And then the call and you're like the ghost.
Speaker 1: I love the relationship. It's just so open. They can say anything they want you.
Speaker 4: And then I love the call, and you're the go between and you're kind of it's almost like your tone was softer than her tone, so it's landing a little better on the lie. And then yeah, and then it.
Speaker 5: Was such a clever way to get them back together because Rory could have just called Laura Lai directly, right, she didn't. She chose to call the diner. And then you have like that Luke element, and Luke is like, oh my gosh, she said hell, and like, I just thought it was a really clever way to.
Speaker 1: And it's a way again, it's a way for lorealized character to be excited because she can't be excited on the direct phone call, but she can be excited by proxy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and she called by proxy. That's exactly right, right, and you were able to sort of tone it down just enough that it sounded right.
Speaker 1: He wanted to get them back together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I want a chocolate box. I want a chocolate right, right right? What is it? Chocolate box? By the way, is it like a.
Speaker 5: A box made out of chocolate?
Speaker 4: I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Apparently filled with high end chocolates. Sounds wonderful.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I would like a chocolate box myself, then then a little bit more of the four h three A M see a little more of that, and then the party. And it's interesting. I actually was surprised that Richard didn't even fake it, that he really just bailed the party. I thought, you know, hmmm, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, it shows there was there was really a disconnect between Richard and Emily, because Richard is starting to see the flaws in their plans, but Emily is still liked like she's doing the daar thing. She even says like there's nothing wrong until the sex thing came up. There's nothing wrong, and so Emily is like perfectly happy with the way things are. So it really showed how Richard and Emily hadn't really come together yet on that issue.
Speaker 1: And you can't imagine Richard failing at executing a plan, right, Yeah, he's so strategic and he's so smart and he's sow this and it's he's accepting defeats. So it's a crushing blow to him. So yeah, I know, I buy it. I buy it. You know. I want to throw a flag on the party. I want to throw a flag on the party. One of the entrances, the second time the maid open the door and let that couple and they were holding some kind of silver wrapped gift or something. They didn't even stop and acknowledge Emily that the extras just sort of walked right in.
Speaker 4: Oh, they don't even say hello, they.
Speaker 1: Don't even make eye They kind of make eye contact her, but and she said, hello, it's the Klingman's or something, and they just kind of motor right byer. I just stop. Boy, they needed to shoot another take, yeah, to make it a little more believable. But that's the only flag I have on the park.
Speaker 4: I had a little bit there was some confusion at the door. Yeah, yeah, Like I was like, oh, the door's hectic. Yeah, I had.
Speaker 5: I had a flag on when that first couple walks up to Emily and the woman says, oh, I'm sorry, we're a little bit early, and then Emily like walks away from them and makes a snide comment. But there were the place was already full of people like they were. They were at the bar getting their drinks, they were sitting down eating food. So I don't know why the people weren't early. Everybody else was already there.
Speaker 1: It was kind of a little too populated that. But those lines are yeah, yeah, yeah, those lines were great. I mean disgusting, right.
Speaker 4: They should have brought a sleeping back and.
Speaker 1: Just bring sleep and to sleepover last night.
Speaker 4: The drink the gross pink and taste pink.
Speaker 1: That's my favorite line. Drink the drink, drink, the drinking that Yeah, timing was perfect, great gag.
Speaker 4: And then I like the sweetness but yet awkwardness of when Lorelei sees Rory trying so hard Hay birthday girl, and like, you know, Paris knows the whole situation, but it's just awkward but sweet and also potential. I was like, there's potential, this could be things could be getting.
Speaker 1: It was a real real tease. Yeah, I wanted Tom back together too, But in what form she What would have made you happy? Amy would have made you happy she was back at Yale? Would it have made you happy if she moved back in with Lorelei? What scenario would have made you happy? What are the fans hoping for? What are they clamoring for?
Speaker 4: I asked such a good question because I'm sort of pleased with the progress we're making. I don't look at this as a negative at all. I feel like we're making a lot of progress. I feel like Emily and Richard are definitely setting themselves up for failure, like it's gonna blow up soon enough.
Speaker 1: You know. I just had a thought. What we're watching now and probably season six and seven should have been the episodes, the Netflix episodes. I still think, and this may sound a little far afield or controversial, but I think getting her off to college was hard for the audience. It was hard for me to break those two up because that's the core of the show, right He's toured together. We count on their banner every single week in those sets in the diner, in their house, in the gazebo, and around the town at Babets, at MS Patty's, at Dozy's. We want them together. To get her off to Yale, that was a tough one. I remember I chafed at that, but then it turned out to be this really great thing and it shut me up because it was just like, oh, that works. They can be on calls, they can visit each other on weekends. That's fine. It's all working for me. So it took on a whole energy and it kind of expanded the universe of the show. But this dropping out of Yale and moving into Richard. I think I don't know, and now I understand, even though this episode was a delight to behold, I don't know if if it was a good move to to drop her out of Yale, you know what I mean. I'm just gonna say that.
Speaker 4: Right because it took so much for us to get used to her being there.
Speaker 1: Correct, now that was that was a big flex uh to lift that and we got settled in and now we got to do it again, which I maybe is the secret of drama. I don't know, but it's like, wow, now they're not Now she's not in Yale. None of the dreams are coming true. It seems like a declining yield curve. Right. If we're gonna speak in charts, like what are we getting out of this? It's like what what we invested in? And what's the payoff? Here? Where's the payoff? And you can give us great episodes based on all this dysfunction and all this declining yield curve, but where's the ultimate path? Where's this going? So I think that's maybe the reason the fans have a problem with season six and season seven. And I'm beginning to see their point I'm actually being to see their point of view.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what were you saying, Susan, I was going to see This episode really is kind of a turning point because from the beginning of season six to this point, it's it's been like a chug uphill, like how long is she going to stay away from Yale? And then we had the Baptism episode where she connects with Lorelei again, but it doesn't go very well. And so this episode we finally made some progress where she's reconnecting with Lorali. It's a generally positive experience, and so now we start to think, Okay, once she makes amends with laurele I, that's going to get us more on the path to maybe getting her back to Yale and we can get back to where we're all more comfortable.
Speaker 1: So maybe it's maybe it's just a fan preference of whether they want the banter and the comedy more than they want the dramatics. Okay, maybe that's where a lot of the fan base falls on the side of can we just have these two back together making us laugh and making us feel good and have that connection and have that hope. Yeah, this can last forever, even though we know it's not gonna last forever. It can't last forever, but it's television, for God's sake, It's television, and you can do that on television.
Speaker 4: Is it possible that the fans, all of us fans, h just get twisted when the characters don't act like we expect them to act, or we think that they should act like.
Speaker 1: Well, the writing, the writing is so good most of the time that the Palatinas can get away with anything, right m hm, no, darn under sure entertaining, But then it's like, what is happening with the narratives? What's happening with all these themes that were established and now they're just broken apart into a million pieces, and how do we get them back together? So that's also useful as a dramatist, but for comedic purposes and for just plain old, good old, feel good purposes, I think it's working against the show. I think maybe that's what the fan base is chafing at season six because of these reasons. What do you think?
Speaker 5: I think that the first four seasons there's a certain feeling about them that goes away in the second half of the series. And so this episode, for me, at least kind of hints at that the town feeling and that kind of the warm, fuzzy Gilmore feeling, you know, visually, it's fall, it's Halloween, and so I think I totally just lost my train of thought. But I think people definitely feel like in the second half of the show they're missing that warm, fuzzy feeling that was so prevalent in the first half of the show.
Speaker 1: There's there's there's so much more hope in the first four or five seasons than the tail end. Right, the hope seems to be waning. It all seems to be sort of disintegrating before our eyes. The dreams are fading, the dreams aren't being realized, and it's just it's you know, it's that, it's sort of that it's kind of a natural dramatic arc, you know, and other and some of my favorite films that I that that I have, that I watched over and over and over again deal with the It's sort of like the Rise and the Fall. It's like that up and down.
Speaker 4: I think the thing that they hate about season six m it's not yet it's in one or two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, I'm taking my cans off. I'm taking the cancer.
Speaker 4: No, you don't have to. You don't have to because I won't reveal it. But my gut feeling is the thing. And I actually, when I watched it the first and second time, was not as upset by this thing coming as other people were in R for Me Season six. Though. The reason it gets so dragged is because of what's coming. I think in two much Okay, I don't think we're quite there.
Speaker 1: I will contact an attorney and I will get back to you.
Speaker 4: I'm really interested in the way Scott reacts to what's coming. I think that's what everybody wants to see. I think that, yeah, there's going to be a lot of interest in seeing how you feel about it, because yeah, god, oh god yeah, And if you are.
Speaker 1: Like WT, there's a high likelihood of a couple of w.
Speaker 4: T all right, a couple a couple more things before a couple more things before we end this. I actually, first of all, everyone, when you're like, what's.
Speaker 1: The da r oh, that was great.
Speaker 4: And when Laura la I says, oh, she runs around with the bad girls, I actually laughed out loud. And she taught us about kilpen poppers and buffalo wings. But the most special moment for me in this episode is two things. One we've sort of talked about in the truck. You can pull sausage links out of me. But when Rory says, this is my soon to be stepfather, and when you give the necklace that was your mother's, it's like.
Speaker 1: Wow, right, right, finally a scene between those two that's tender and sweet, right.
Speaker 4: And and what we want. That's what we are used to between them, that's what we want. And so I thought that was very very sweet with the juxtaposition of the not sweet scene when Emily sees the engagement ring that tracks also to the characters, but it was just like, oh, I guess congratulations are in order, Like it's just so yeah.
Speaker 1: I thought. I thought Kelly Bishop was just outstanding in this episode. Ed Herman outstanding in that scene in his study gut wrenching, just gut wrenching, you means when being and avoiding the party forty.
Speaker 4: Thousand dollars Sex House, and Emily says, I was on board to go with the plan. So that was interesting too. That really was Richard that pivoted from the plan. We understand it. I understand it. His granddaughter was just like.
Speaker 1: She got insulted, you know, Emily got insulted when Richard was describing what she exactly she does it. What Rory's doing now is right, right, just so much more potential than that, you know, isn't isn't he isn't exactly wrong? Right? But why, you know, why say something like that in front of your wife, who, yeah, he justly supported and yeah been you know, the champion of her husband all these years and has made their lives fly. Yeah, not getting the credit in the crucial moment, which is kind of.
Speaker 4: The last ten minutes of the episode is so it's just amazing. I mean, the episode was great leading up to it, but it was lighter and fun and all the things, and then you get this last ten minutes where you're like wow.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow, hmmm. The cake cutting was devastating.
Speaker 4: It was so sad.
Speaker 1: I just wrote sad because here's Rory entering this world, being completely celebrated by this world where she doesn't necessarily feel like she belongs, yeah, and her mother knowing she doesn't belong, And it's gut wrenching to watch that.
Speaker 4: I wanted her so badly to be like mom, Mom, come up here.
Speaker 3: Mom.
Speaker 1: That's like watching somebody you love stuck in a you know, a raging river and you can't save them, and there they are, you know, and I'm glad they left. And I'm so glad that she said let's get out of here. And he was like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he says, exactly the right thing. You can pull sausages out of me, yeah, which is the same thing we've seen consistently from Luke, like I've got your back. That's why. Look, I know we all had the argument about it, but that's why she proposed. This is the whole thing. She realizes, like this guy continually as my back, this is so strong, is so puts me first, over and over and over again.
Speaker 5: Well, that's what I loved about Luke in this episode was that he managed to support both of them, like he supported Rory and he supported Lorlai, but he managed to do it without taking sides, which I really enjoyed. So I thought this was a great episode for Luke.
Speaker 1: All right, so uh, let's let's read it. Susanne.
Speaker 4: I have between two things.
Speaker 1: Let's do favorite lines. Do you want to do favorite lines?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I wanted to just call out one little piece of writing that was so subtle and you had to really be paying attention to hear it.
Speaker 4: But when Paris was.
Speaker 5: Talking about her new you know, editorship, and she made the comment, I had to I had to.
Speaker 4: Pull it up.
Speaker 5: She says, the last person that ran the shop was too busy ironing his petticoat to put out a decent paper.
Speaker 4: Well, she was talking about Doyle.
Speaker 5: He was the last editor, right, well, and he agreed with her and.
Speaker 4: Didn't even realize that she was totally slammed. How about the joke, like I was hilarious last year, I was sleeping the editor and now I am. And then she's like, could you come in a little bit quicker? Could you come in a little bit? I mean, there's a thousand good lines in this one, a lot of favorite lines.
Speaker 5: I have multiple ones.
Speaker 1: Okay, you get one. We'll do a couple of rounds. Go ahead, Round one, Say what's your favorite line?
Speaker 5: I think my first one was when Lorelai and Richard were on the front porch and Richard's.
Speaker 4: Talking and he's not getting the feedback that he.
Speaker 5: Wants Laura I, and he says, aren't you listening to me?
Speaker 1: And she says, uh no, Amy favorite line? Round one?
Speaker 4: I said a bunch of mine, but.
Speaker 1: Pick one for round one.
Speaker 4: I think it's the reverend you've got. I hear you have a boyfriend, crazy feelings. What your virtue is a gift? Once you give it, it's gone no gift to give. Oh dear, oh dear, indeed, that old thing.
Speaker 1: Round one. Favorite line for me is just drink your drink. Drink your drink, or drink the drink.
Speaker 4: Drink is disgusting. I got a dog what that was when they were really bonding again?
Speaker 1: All right, so rating, what are you going to raise?
Speaker 4: Please? I'm afraid someone's going to take mine.
Speaker 1: Then what we're rating it around?
Speaker 4: Takes my my sausages ten out of ten sausages.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna throw a flag on you. That's a violation. I called on Suzanne first, and you just tried to.
Speaker 4: I didn't even sages.
Speaker 1: Do you want to use the sausages? Were you intent amy? Were you intending to my cereal?
Speaker 4: I was not intending to use sage.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're in the but we're still going to be sanctioned half of use ahead.
Speaker 5: I was going to rank it nine point nine chocolate boxes.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 4: We need to have a party. Where everyone gets chocolate boxes.
Speaker 1: Amy, what's your rating?
Speaker 4: Ten out of ten sausages? I love this episode. I don't really have much criticism.
Speaker 1: What kind of sausages Louisiana sweet?
Speaker 4: What I wish I could remember all those?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's going to wrap it up for us over here. Thanks everybody for downloading. Best fans on the planet. Keep those cards, letters, emails, d MS, texts, whatever you want to do, write a note, stick it to a pigeon, fly it over to us, send smoke signals, whatever you want to do to communicate with us. We are listening. We appreciate.
Speaker 4: Please tell us your favorite sugary cereals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that too, what she said, And favorite sausages, and favorite footboxes and favorite drinks as literally why not? Right?
Speaker 4: I don't know about drinks, but definitely favorite chocolate box, favorite sausage, favorite cereal. We're going to start a poll.
Speaker 1: This week, all right, and we'll see you next time with the next episode. Let me hear your backus he's ringing out.
Speaker 4: We're gonna like this.
Speaker 1: We're going to work on that pronunciation in the intro until next time. Always remember that we and I am all in. Stay safe everyone, Hey, everybody, and don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at i Am all In Podcast, and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com