Speaker 1: Start at the top of your voice. Welcome back to pre So start at the top of your voice and then we'll get into it.
Speaker 2: Awesome, great, all.
Speaker 3: Right, we're right.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to PV and Franny Last Time.
Speaker 5: Wait, hold on, they divided this into two podcast episodes.
Speaker 4: Looks that way.
Speaker 5: Why it's a thirty minute television pilot.
Speaker 6: Capitalism, Franny Studio time doesn't pay for itself?
Speaker 5: Fine, but why are we doing a recap?
Speaker 7: All that really happened in the first episode is that you and I met and decided to start a band together. Also, you told me someone from the school orchestra left you a hate note in your locker, but you're not sure who who who? Also, you told me, in no uncertain terms that you don't date bandmates, which is fine because I definitely don't have a crush on you. That's threatening to blow up into a foe on obsession.
Speaker 4: Good to know, say, weren't you about to blame me a song?
Speaker 6: I was?
Speaker 2: So let's get back to it BacT too. Interior V's bedroom day. Franny's tuning his guitar.
Speaker 5: It's always the best ring. It's like it hates me. Okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: He takes a deep breath and plays.
Speaker 5: A second.
Speaker 6: I thought, get.
Speaker 8: Why does the moon look so big and other times look so small? Why is it up there at all? And how come this sun gets so hot and the other times it is not like nighttime? Winter and fall?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Anything anything, anything.
Speaker 8: Except that I like you. Why do those weird colored lights way up around the whole dance through the nice guy sometimes?
Speaker 2: And does that.
Speaker 8: Magic curst world somehow explain how a girl can show a sparkle and child. I don't know. I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 9: Anything anything, anything.
Speaker 8: Except that I like you? Can the love feels so big and make you feel oh so small? Why do I bother?
Speaker 1: A beat?
Speaker 2: While Frannie waits for PV's reaction, PV smiles, Then Frannie smiles.
Speaker 5: Then that was depressing.
Speaker 2: PV and Franny looked to the doorway, standing there as JOEA eighteen, one of Pev's infinite sisters, get out of my room, Joanna, Fine, but Franny, you should consider a diminished three chord instead of the minor four.
Speaker 1: It's less trite, Joanna leaves.
Speaker 5: Who was that? And how did you know my name?
Speaker 4: That's Joanna she's one of my sisters.
Speaker 5: She doesn't look like you, and she.
Speaker 4: Has awful taste in music. Maybe she's adopted or I am. Now let's take a look at this.
Speaker 1: PV takes out a photograph.
Speaker 5: What is it?
Speaker 6: The Overton Orchestra. We need to figure out who wrote my hate note?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, inset a picture of the Overton Orchestra.
Speaker 6: The handwriting definitely belongs to a boy, so we can eliminate all the girls.
Speaker 1: Two pass in the photo are xed out.
Speaker 5: Not super helpful. What else do you know?
Speaker 6: Well, the text of the note wasn't particularly brassy, and everyone of string players struggle to express themselves in words.
Speaker 2: Brass and strings are xed out, leaving only the percussionists, timpani and triangle.
Speaker 7: That leaves the tympane and the triangle. The tympanist is Max Angler. He's good, real good.
Speaker 2: Interior music room day, the band is playing. Max Angler is reading a biography of Buddy Rich With his left hand. He hits the timpany in time with the music, then turns a page. Interior Pev's bedroom, continuous with before.
Speaker 7: The triangleist is Ryazukibe, immaculate timing, but his dynamics can be questionable.
Speaker 4: We'll interview both of them tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Okay, why is this so important to you anyway?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I just hate the thought that someone hates me. Wouldn't that bother you?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 5: I assume most people hate me.
Speaker 1: I probably do somehow. At some point, Joanna has re entered the room.
Speaker 6: Get out of here, Joanna, remember Franny three.
Speaker 5: Cord?
Speaker 2: She holds up three fingers and uses him to make one of those I'm watching you gestures, then leaves.
Speaker 4: Sorry, though she's probably right about the chord.
Speaker 2: Interior Overton High Hallway, just outside the music room, the members of the orchestra have begun to file in for practice. PV and Franny wait outside until they spot Max.
Speaker 5: Oh hey Max.
Speaker 1: Max notices Franny and approaches.
Speaker 5: What's up? Do you hate PV? Who's PV?
Speaker 1: PV raises her hand.
Speaker 5: Do I know you?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 5: Didn't you go into our practice last week and say we all suck? I did? Yeah? I guess I do. Short of hate her, Oh so you wrote the note? What note?
Speaker 1: PV holds up a folded note.
Speaker 5: Nah, the only notes I write look like this.
Speaker 2: He holds up his sheet music and points to a musical note, then heads off.
Speaker 4: I guess that means it's Russo, the.
Speaker 5: Trianglest unless our methodology is flawed.
Speaker 4: Well, we're about to find out which one's Russo.
Speaker 1: Franny points him out.
Speaker 4: I'll handle it this time.
Speaker 1: She goes off to.
Speaker 2: Talk to russoh Franni watches they talk for a few moments.
Speaker 1: Then Pev comes back.
Speaker 5: Was it him?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: What do you say that it was him? Then he asked me out on a date? Then I said, yes, what a date? Like a movie or dinner?
Speaker 8: I know what.
Speaker 5: Let me see that note.
Speaker 2: TV hands over the note. Frannie unfolds an inset. The note is written in a small and serious hand, PV. I think you are extremely beautiful.
Speaker 5: This isn't a hate note, it's a love note.
Speaker 6: I guess I read it more ironically, you know, like I think you're extremely beautiful.
Speaker 5: Why would you read it that way?
Speaker 4: Anyway, mystery solved, Thanks for your help, Franny.
Speaker 2: Franny looks on helplessly interior Franny's house. Evening, Franny sits on the couch staring at the TV, which isn't on. His mother enters. Marion Blevins is a loving but strident woman who believes the world can be shaped by those with the fortitude to bother trying.
Speaker 4: I love this show.
Speaker 5: Hey mom, something's wrong. What's wrong? I like a girl, that's the problem.
Speaker 1: Yes, no, Marian sits down on the Cougary.
Speaker 5: She says, we can't date since we're in a band together.
Speaker 3: She's right, you should never date a neighbor or a coworker or a yoga instructor.
Speaker 5: But I really want to date her because she's amazing.
Speaker 4: So don't be in a band with her.
Speaker 5: But I really want to be in a band with her because she's amazing. Oh that's tough. She sounds amazing though she is.
Speaker 2: Marian puts an arm around Franny. I just wish why Harrian gestures.
Speaker 1: Towards the TV, which still isn't on.
Speaker 5: This is the best part.
Speaker 2: Franny smiles. Interior Overton High Gymnasium. A dodgeball game is on Franny's with aj. They dodgeballs as they talk.
Speaker 3: And now PV and Russo are going out on a date. I'm sorry, Franny, that sucks.
Speaker 1: Ajpeg's a kid, hard in the stomach.
Speaker 3: You're an embarrassment to this court. Walk off, bitch. The worst part is that he's my fault. I agree to be in a band with her. I should one in everything. Why can't you be in a band and date at the same time? If we would and Mac did it, That's what I said, AJ, being someone else.
Speaker 1: I bet your.
Speaker 3: Mama felt that. I bet her mama felt that. I just shook your whole family tree son. Anyway, there's no arguing with her. She's dating Ruso. Now I have to accept it.
Speaker 1: Unless AJ spots someone about to throw a ball at him.
Speaker 5: I dare you. I'm begging you to throw.
Speaker 1: That ball to throw her chickens out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's what I thought.
Speaker 1: He turns back to Franny.
Speaker 3: If PEV won't date a band mate, you just need to convince Riuso to join your band.
Speaker 5: Of course, AJ, you're a genius.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: AJ hits Franny with a ball ow.
Speaker 5: We're on the same team.
Speaker 1: And interior Overton High lunch room.
Speaker 2: Later, PV is at the front of the lunch line, paying for lunch, a butterfinger, two packages of Reese's Peanut buttercups, and a red.
Speaker 5: New State Law says, I have to tell you to eat a salad. Okay, eat a salad.
Speaker 6: That's my.
Speaker 2: TV leaves the line and runs into Franny. Oh hey, Franny notices PV's lunch.
Speaker 5: You know, sugar is really bad for you.
Speaker 7: I've got a book about it, but you don't have to read it, you know, I'll probably just burn it anyway. I had an idea, what's that? What if we added Rusou to the band.
Speaker 6: You said his triangle playing was dynamically uneven.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we can work on that.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 6: We could use a percussionist. And now I know it doesn't hate me.
Speaker 4: Fine.
Speaker 2: Suddenly, Aaron Coltrera edited her at large of the Overton Free Press up hears behind PV and Franny, You guys are in a band.
Speaker 5: Just could make for a great trend piece.
Speaker 4: What's the trend?
Speaker 5: Bands are popping up everywhere? Look?
Speaker 2: Aaron points toward a table of nerds playing a board and dice game.
Speaker 1: One of the nerds rolls the dice.
Speaker 2: They make a cool clattering sound that everyone picks up on. He rolls them again. Another nerd shuffles a stack of cards and rhythm. Someone else taps metal figurines together. The improvisation concludes with a collective distant explosion noise made by.
Speaker 1: All the nerds at once lake It beat you. We're back on, Aaron.
Speaker 2: See, so do you plan to enter the Gentle Mediation of the Bands next week?
Speaker 5: What's that?
Speaker 2: Aaron points to a poster on the lunch room wall. The title reads, Gentle Mediation of the Bands. Many will enter, only everyone will receive a participation trophy.
Speaker 1: Principal Kenney thinks Battle of the Band sounds too violent.
Speaker 5: So are you guys in? Of course, and we're going to win?
Speaker 4: Aaron, would you excuse us for a moment, all of this was off the record.
Speaker 2: Franny Drag's PV away accidentally knocking into the Bulldog mascot on the way out of the lunch room.
Speaker 5: Can I sorry, that's my fault, right wrong? It's clearly peev dregs for anyway.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, yeah, I'm done.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: PV drags Frannie away, accidentally knocking into the Bulldog mascot on the way out of the lunch room.
Speaker 5: Can I at least so you as an anonymous source? Well, anonymous? Anonymous? Anonymous as an anonymous source? Okay, got? Can I at least site you as an anonymous source?
Speaker 3: No democracy dies in darkness interior Overton High.
Speaker 2: Moments later, PV drags Franny to the hallway outside the lunch room.
Speaker 6: What's wrong, We've only had one rehearsal, Franny. We shouldn't be entering competitions or doing interviews.
Speaker 4: Why not just talk to Russeoh okay, we need to.
Speaker 6: Get our lineup in place before we start thinking about winning prizes.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: Peev walks off.
Speaker 2: Franny looks over at the trash can and sees a kid hidden inside.
Speaker 5: I'm playing hide and seek. I've been in here since yesterday. Nobody's found me impressive.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it isn't as satisfying as I'd expected.
Speaker 2: They both consider this interior Overton High practice room afternoon, a very small practice room with soundproof walls and a grand piano. Russo, who is very serious, sits with his eyes closed, listening to him mastering the triangle tape.
Speaker 10: Franni enters, you must treat the triangle, be caring for independent, never let her sense your fear.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 1: Russo switches off the tape deck.
Speaker 5: Franny, how are you my friend?
Speaker 7: Sorry to interrupt, I just wanted to let you know you've been invited to join my band.
Speaker 5: Our band me and Peev. Heeve wants me to join her band.
Speaker 7: Yes, we both do our band. So RUSAL's aren't thursdays. I'll text you the address.
Speaker 1: Russeau suddenly hugs Franni.
Speaker 5: Thank you, my friend, my brother, my band mate. I'm going to treat Peev just like my triangle. Okay.
Speaker 1: Franny leaves.
Speaker 2: Russeau joyfully taps the triangle interior PV's bedroom. The following Thursday, Franni enters, PV is at her recording station.
Speaker 5: Hey, PV, where's Russo? He isn't here yet, he's out of the band. What why I ran into him yesterday at school?
Speaker 2: Yes exterior Overton High Hallway flashback, PV, wearing a face mask, is spray painting the inside of her locker black.
Speaker 1: Russeau approaches PV.
Speaker 5: I just wanted to tell you how excited I am to be in the band.
Speaker 4: More excited too.
Speaker 1: They shake hands.
Speaker 5: Also, I thought we could perhaps plan our date now.
Speaker 1: PV takes off the mask.
Speaker 4: Didn't Franny tell you? I don't date my bandmates. It's a rule I have.
Speaker 5: But what about Fleetwood Mac exception? That proves the rule. Okay, then I don't want to be in the band.
Speaker 4: It was good having you.
Speaker 5: They shake hands, so we can still go out on Friday.
Speaker 2: Looking forward, carrer PV's bedroom, continuous with before Franny's Franny is so, Franny is shells what's Franni? Franny is shell shocked at his plans failure.
Speaker 4: But but I it's fine.
Speaker 6: I heard him play the triangle and you were right, dynamics all over the place. Besides, I think we're better as a duo.
Speaker 5: We are, aren't we?
Speaker 6: And you know what this right here, this relationship between bandmates, that's the most intimate relationship there is way deeper than some stupid boyfriend.
Speaker 5: Totally wait, rutho's your boyfriend now?
Speaker 6: Anyway, I guess we should start rehearsing that gentle mediation of the bands isn't going to win itself.
Speaker 5: I thought you didn't want to enter.
Speaker 4: I know it's a long shot, but I believe in us. Sure it won't be easy. There will be setbacks.
Speaker 6: It might even take the whole season, the whole what all a full semester, But it'll be worth it when we hoist that first place participation trophy over our heads, knowing that we accomplish something nobody thought we could smash.
Speaker 1: Cut two interior auditorium night.
Speaker 2: Liu Chin, a small Chinese girl wearing an Accordion receives an extremely large trophy from Principal Kenney forties.
Speaker 1: The audience applauds wildly, and our.
Speaker 3: Winner is Liu Chin for that stirring rendition of Gorka hermosis.
Speaker 2: Fragileu raises the massive trophy overhead. PEV and Franny watch from the audience. They each hold a very small participation trophy.
Speaker 6: On the other hand, early success can have its own drawbacks.
Speaker 1: The weight of the trophy causes Leo to fall over backward. Students rush to help her.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, I think that's very true.
Speaker 4: You want to go write a song?
Speaker 1: I do. They walk out of the auditorium.
Speaker 2: On the way, they throw their participation trophies in the trash. We stay on the trophies for a beat. Then a large, fuzzy mit reaches into the trash and pulls one of the trophies back out. Pulling back, we see it's the Bulldog mascot. He scans the plaque on the front of the trophy. It reads congratulations PV and Franny. It is better to have participated and lost than never to have participated at all. The Bulldog looks up watching his PV and Franny leave the auditorium together.
Speaker 1: Who's in there anyway, what's he thinking?
Speaker 2: We don't know, and maybe we never will know, because that's the end of this unproduced television pilot
Speaker 10: The end, and then we'll do it.