Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We did it.
Speaker 3: We made it to a Friday. It's a meat Friday at that white bean chicken chili and Jamaican beef patties. Who has it better than we do? Nobody's going to be a spicy Friday in more ways than one. We got a busy show. Our good buddy, Clay Matthews. He'll join us a little bit later on. Booker McFarlane stops by, and the head coach of the National Champs, Ryan Day from Ohio State, will stop by. There's something brewing in Tampa and Jacksonville. It's not good for Tampa, and I hope it's good for Jacksonville. Have that story for you coming up as well. Stat of the Day is always brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. First down, we're brought to you by Maco. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, they bring your car back to life with affordable pink chomps like collision repairs. Get a free estimate today, Uh oh bet or get Mako play the day poll question stat of the Day. All of that forthcoming good morning. If you're watching on Peacock, our streaming partner and radio affiliates around the country over four hundred who allow us to entertain you, at least try to entertain you.
Speaker 2: Monday through Friday.
Speaker 3: Odds to win the Super Bowl according to DraftKings this morning Eagles, then it's the Chiefs, then it's the Bills, and then it's the Commanders.
Speaker 4: You're going to.
Speaker 3: Get wishful predictions. I talk about wishful reporting. Sometimes we want something to happen because it makes our job easier. There's wishful predictions. I think you're going to find a lot of people who think the Commanders and the Bills are going to win this weekend. Now, I don't know if they really think they're going to win. They're hoping they win because we can be chiefed out. You're going to be eagled out too. But with Buffalo, you're like, all right, they finally did it. That was a nice reaction from.
Speaker 2: You, Marvin. Thank you.
Speaker 5: I was into it.
Speaker 2: You left your microphone on.
Speaker 5: Oh did you hit it?
Speaker 2: I liked it.
Speaker 3: It's like church, yeah, yeah, Jesus.
Speaker 6: Yes, going to the Catholic church. It is a culture shock with you we don't do that with your spirit. Yeah, we don't do the no at all. There's no amen, no hallelujah, no praise be to Jesus.
Speaker 5: So nothing, Okay, just sit here.
Speaker 2: Yes, wait, are you guys having a good time? And now you can shake hands?
Speaker 7: Here's the money basket.
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh boy, not a lot of joy I remember growing up and I said to my mom, like.
Speaker 2: Are we supposed to have fun? And she goes, no, we're in church.
Speaker 3: I go, well, but isn't a joyous isn't abration?
Speaker 2: She goes, no, you're in church. Like her answer was no, you're in church. I'm like okay.
Speaker 3: I then went to a church with a friend of mine. This is years ago, and they they had a great time. They had music. They you know, the guitar mass you know they had they've had drums. I'm like, okay, I could get into this.
Speaker 6: Yes, ma, yes, the musicians are professional, like legit. They get paid to play at church and it is serious. So the church that we went to with my wife, it was forty five minutes. Praise in worship where you just sing was an hour and ten minutes.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 6: I mean they were killing it too. That bas paid that bass player was on fire.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I went to a Mass one time or no, it was just a I guess it's not mass, it's just the service service, okay.
Speaker 2: And my wife said, hey, it's new Age. Are you open minded?
Speaker 3: I said yeah, anything that adds a little joy to this. I'd sit there and I'd be like, I'm gonna get yelled at. When I was a kid, went to church every single morning. When I was at school, every morning we went to church, had to get all dressed up. I remember just sitting there and then you go into the confessional like everything is damn. I'm in trouble already. I was born with a sin, Like how did this happen?
Speaker 2: Mom? What did I do? You're in church? I'd be like, all right, I'm in church.
Speaker 3: So we go to this service and it is raucous, it is wild, and you know, even the sermon was great, like was it was entertaining, It had energy to it, and I'm like, can't we sprinkle a little bit of that in to a Catholic Mass? Just give me a little bit. And then I remember when they broke out the guitars at my church Shreadfast Saint Susanna had folk music. You know, I was waiting for Joan Biez and Bob Dylan to come in. He answer, my friend, oh that was a big deal. It's like we got a guitar. Yeah, we're having fun, yes, Arvon.
Speaker 6: The only awkward part is when they try to get a little life in there. They clap on the one in the three, started the two in the four, and it's like now no, no, no, no, no, don't stop clapping like that. My wife starts. I was like, you stop too.
Speaker 3: Eight seven seven three DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com Twitter handle a DP show operator.
Speaker 2: Awesome breakdown right there, Tyler sitting by Eagles.
Speaker 8: Eagles getting back to football.
Speaker 2: But in the same run the bold home mighty dang yes, Mark what they So?
Speaker 6: When I was a kid, the church I went to during football season, they started service an hour earlier so the pastor could get home and watched the giant.
Speaker 2: Respect like that.
Speaker 6: Church would be over every single Sunday during the season at twelve thirty so he can get home and watch his giant.
Speaker 2: Why are we always late to church? Though?
Speaker 3: I never understood that. Always my family was always late to church, and we live about I don't know three minutes away from the church, but somehow we would be late, or you get the people come in and they're they get it right, you know, for the homily, or they leave right after communion because those people have mastered it communion. You're walking back, walking back, not gonna go into.
Speaker 2: The pew sea.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but those are the people that also everybody noticed that, Oh John left you. Okay, that's something that like my grandmother would have been all over that Sunday before dinner. I would have already gotten the call from my mom. Hey my mom saw you leave church after communion.
Speaker 9: But yes, ud it seems it's like in the box, if you're showing up late regularly and or leaving early, you want to do just enough so you don't go to hell.
Speaker 10: I technically was here.
Speaker 5: What if the minimum I.
Speaker 9: Can do to show my face and still be in good you know, good graces?
Speaker 2: Yeah Lord, Yeah, yeah, you walk out right after communion.
Speaker 3: Plus when you have to turn around and you have to shake everybody's hand, like how far do you go down the road where you're going to shake everybody's hand? Like I like to just kind of acknowledge, like a yeah, but you know, my wife is a oh oh, yes, peace.
Speaker 2: Be with Yes, yes you do the peace be with you head nod, Yes, that's big. Yeah, I did dap.
Speaker 10: I did dap.
Speaker 2: The other day.
Speaker 3: My wife goes, you should shake his hand. I go, nah, I don't think so on. Just a little dap. Yeah, yes, I wish you piece, but yeah.
Speaker 7: Not so much.
Speaker 2: He I'll shake your hand, Yeah, I'll light them out. Yeah, just a little dap.
Speaker 9: We've got work in one of those complicated athlete handshakes that they do just to say, how hip there?
Speaker 2: All right? Poll question? What do we have today's seaton?
Speaker 8: Let's see, we got one here from I can't believe blank had become likable, Notre Dame commander's other.
Speaker 3: Okay, well commanders. I don't think we disliked the commanders, and we didn't care about them. They didn't care about him. You only cared about the owner. So you disliked an owner. You didn't care like they weren't on the radar to actually dislike.
Speaker 2: Yeah, paint, but.
Speaker 11: The Daniel Snyder stink was all over that franchise the past two decades, and you felt bad for like Ron Rivera and the different quarterbacks, and it made you almost like you said they're off the radar, but generally dislikable.
Speaker 2: It's so much so because of their owner.
Speaker 3: Well, nobody disliked the commanders because they didn't threaten you, They didn't bother you, like go Lee. They got to live with that guy. You know, if your owner is not a good guy in their winning, then that's different. But I look at the Commanders, is like they didn't they didn't factor into my life. It was like, oh yeah, commanders, Okay, those uniforms are kind of nice.
Speaker 2: All right, who's their coach?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 2: Okay, yes see. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I feel like there are some teams that you are, like you being people actively dislike.
Speaker 7: For sure.
Speaker 2: I know I have teams that I absolutely do not like.
Speaker 8: But then there's other teams that you're just sort of apathetic about, like whatever, Like the Raiders. For me, I'm kind of like, oh yeah, all right, let's see if they could figure it out or not. The Browns, all right, let's see if they could figure it out or not. I would put the Commanders in that scene things like, oh what, but now it looks like maybe they did figure it out.
Speaker 3: All right, great, But that's why people have wishful predictions.
Speaker 2: This weekend.
Speaker 3: I think they're just hopeful that the Chiefs aren't back in the Super Bowl. I don't know if they really believe Buffalo can win. I mean, it's a two point spread, so we wouldn't be shocked if Buffalo won. I think there would still be an element of surprise if that. The Bills be KMP City in Kanpas City. The Commanders, I think you're like, man, the Commanders are a good story. And here's something that came to me yesterday, and I hope this isn't a prediction of things to come, but I'm thinking about the Commanders making it all the way to the NFC title Game, and the comparison was the Atlanta Hawks making it to the Eastern Conference Finals to face Philadelphia when they had Treya. And of course, when you like you remember that. It's one of those if you look at the Eastern Conference Finals in previous years and you go, oh, man, that's right, the Hawks made the Eastern Conference Finals. The Commanders feel that way, like they're not supposed to be here. At least it feels like they're a year early. And Atlanta was the same way and then Atlanta disappeared. I hope that that's not the case with the Commanders. It's been a great story with Jaden Daniels, but I think the wishful would be nice to have somebody else in there Philadelphia and Kansas City, and we've already seen that before. So I think you'll have people who will say, man, I'm rooting for pulling for prediction King Buffalo and Washington to make it into the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Uh so that is that the poll? What other poll questions do we have? Because I don't think people hate the Commanders. I just don't think they like Dan Snyder. The Commanders are a lovable team. I think now or that that underdog feel to him, and we're fascinated by Jaden Daniels. The other thing I thought of with Jaden Daniels, I can't help but go back to RG three when he played there. He made one Pro Bowl his first year. He was incredible and then he got hurt. And if you see Jaden Daniels, he not a big guy. He's fast, but he's not a big guy. There's a bigger target there. He's a tall guy, he's wiry, no density to him, Like when he gets hit, you know he's spinning and That's what concerns me. You know, when you're looking at longevity here, and who would have thought RG three would not have been a Hall of Famer if you saw in that first year he had track speed and he was just different. You're looking at somebody who is the prototype of what the league is going to be.
Speaker 2: And then it didn't last long after that.
Speaker 3: But as RG three is said on the show, their decisions that he could have made that were smarter decisions. Jaden Daniels has to understand that. And then I saw where the defensive coordinator for the Commanders said, Hey, Jalen Hurts runs the ball, We're going to hit him. Yeah, that's what you're supposed to do. I don't think you need to tell everybody that, but the defensive coordinator for the Commander's Joe Witt Junior, said yesterday, we're going to hit him. That's their decision if they want to get him hit. If they don't, then keep him in the pocket. Okay. I don't know if you need to say that. I don't know if that changes anything for the Eagles and Jalen Hurts. It's like, oh my god, wait, they're going to hit me. I'm guessing if you get it. Look, if I'm a defensive coordinator, I'm telling my team, if you get a chance to take a shot, you take a shot, do it.
Speaker 2: Within the rules best you can.
Speaker 3: But if you somehow maybe go into the maybe that wasn't a legitimate hit, that's okay, we'll take the we'll take the penalty, I'll pay the fine. I don't know if Buffalo would say that to their players privately with Patrick Mahomes, but if you get a chance hit him, yeah.
Speaker 8: They those type of comments do seem to eventually come back into like a bounty gate type scenario. You know, like, yes, it's great, tell your players that and all that stuff, but you don't really say that out loud, necessarily, not to go too extreme with it or anything. But they it's comments like that that eventually get twisted into something that they're not supposed to be.
Speaker 3: Yes, if Buddy Ryan was still coaching, then we might go, there's a bounty here, but there's no reason.
Speaker 2: There's no reason to say it.
Speaker 3: If you say it to your players, great, but saying it to the media that means you're basically going into the Eagles locker room and saying to Jalen Hurts, Hey, if you run, we're hitting you. By the way, Washington's defense against the Eagles gave up seven hundred and seventy two yards and fifty nine points in the two games between those two So that's what I would be a little more concerned about than just making sure I hit Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 11: Yes, Paul Washingt's playing the long game. They lulled them into a false sense of security of those two games.
Speaker 2: Mmm, they did a really good job. It is a really good job.
Speaker 9: Yes, unless they're employing reverse psychology making that comment publicly. How to even in your subconscious mind an official not have that in the back of the mind and anything close were like, well, they did say they were going to kind of go after them a little bit or treat them like a running back, and you're like, not intentionally just putting that in the ref's ear that like, we're going to be extra close watch how they're gonna hit him.
Speaker 3: It happens so fast on the field that I don't think an official is in the moment in a split second going hey they're dirty. Hey, that's I mean, it all kind of sorts itself out. I would think if you're hitting somebody in the pocket, then that would be different. Hey, we're gonna hit him. We're gonna hit him right as he throws the ball. That would be something that I would keep an eye on. But as far as Jalen hurts outside the pocket, well, I mean, he is a runner once he's outside the pocket, So I don't I mean, I'm surprised you say it. You don't need to say it, but you might get caught up and you're spirited, you know, you're fiery. We're gonna if he runs, we're gonna hit him like okay and get his football. I hope you do. But do we have that sound? Can we get that?
Speaker 2: Marvin?
Speaker 12: We've had a number of these guys that they are that we've had to prepare for. And so the one thing is as if he's going to run the ball, and if the coordinator makes a decision for him to run the ball, we're gonna treat him like a running back and we're going to hit him that way, you know. So that's that's their decision. If they want to get him hit the way that that he gets hit. If they don't, they'll keep him in the pocket. So that's that's what we're.
Speaker 7: Going to do.
Speaker 3: Okay, coordinators don't talk to the media like, how did this happen?
Speaker 2: Where all of a sudden he's given the game plan?
Speaker 5: Here we dare you it hurts to run? Watch what happened?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, giving his knee concerns, I don't know how much he's going to run. But if you're Washington, keep him in the pocket. Make him a thrower. That's no surprise. All right, we'll take a break. Just getting started on the program. By the way, decent weather for both of these games coming up this weekend. The Jags get a coach.
Speaker 2: I think we'll have that for you coming up. Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Fox sports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich?
Speaker 13: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 10: So check us out.
Speaker 13: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 10: That's Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 3: It's our two on this Friday, Dan and the Dan. It's Dan Patrick Show. It's a meat Friday. We got white bean chicken chili, Jamaican beef patties.
Speaker 2: Who has it better than we do? No lotused out of the day.
Speaker 3: Brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of The Dan Patrick Show. All right, we'll update the poll results, and we got a situation here with Jacksonville in Tampa. Does Jacksonville finally have their coach? And exactly what happened. We'll retrace the last forty eight hours with Rick Stroud coming up here in a moment. Clay Matthews will join us, coming up a little bit later on this hour. Booger McFarlane next hour, and Ohio state head coach Ryan Day will stop by as well. The points spread stay the same, the Eagles getting six giving six to the Commanders and the Bills are getting one and a half against the Chiefs. Whether for both cities should be around the same, no snow. Expected temperatures in the thirties. Obviously with the Chiefs game, it'll get a little colder than that as the evening progresses. That kickoff is at six thirty the Commanders and the Eagles at three Eastern eight seven seven three DP show email under Sdpadanpatrick dot com Twitter handle at DP show pull question for hour two and recap hour one if you can, Seaton.
Speaker 8: Yeah, our one we put up there. This one was from Marvin. The Super Bowl matchup you're rooting for. Your options are Bill's Eagles, Bills, Commanders Chiefs, Commander's Chiefs Eagles. You want to guess who people are rooting for.
Speaker 2: Commander's Bills.
Speaker 8: Commander's Bills right now has fifty seven percent of the vote. Yeah, you want to know the one that they're least looking forward to, Chiefs Eagles.
Speaker 2: Chiefs Eagles. Yeah, what the heck? Why am I surprised by that? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Those are two great teams, they are, but we want something fresh.
Speaker 2: One of them has a chance to go to win three in a row.
Speaker 5: I know, I know.
Speaker 2: We'll give you our most must win game of the weekend coming up. A little bit later on, we.
Speaker 8: Switch just to be clear that they've all been must win games for several weeks now.
Speaker 2: This is the most most must must win win, even more than last week.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes, there there are coaches or players that this is the most must win game of the weekend.
Speaker 2: It may not be the team, it may be the person. So I'll have that for you coming up. Rick Stroud.
Speaker 3: We didn't think we'd ever talked to Rick Stroud again when Tom Brady left he retired, and here he is. Rick Stroud, the Bucks writer, NFL beat writer, for the Tampa Bay Times. And here we are, Rick, tell me what happened over the last forty eight hours with the all of a sudden object of desire Liam Cohen, Dan.
Speaker 14: We're the land of runaway brides man. Bill Parcells did it twice, Chick Kelly did it once. So keep your receipt on the crystal stemware around here. But you know, look, Liam Cohen did a great job last year in his first season with the Bucks on offense obviously, and so they didn't want to leave lose him, and they knew that he was had one interview with Jacksonville. Virtually he was supposed to go up there on Wednesday. Bucks got him to agree to a really a record contract, one of the highest paid coordinators in football, something like four and a half million dollars a year, but it was contingent on him not going back to Jacksonville. And they thought he was going to come in. There was some talk about a zoom call with him and all this. He didn't come in on Wednesday, and they didn't hear from him from about two thirty on Wednesday till about five o'clock on Thursday.
Speaker 15: He was zero dark thirty on him. So I think they got a little suspicious, And.
Speaker 14: Finally he did call Todd Bowles around five o'clock on Thursday to let him know that his kid was in fact sick. He had been with him sometime that day. But oh, by the way, I'm going to look back into the Jacksonville situation, when in fact, I think that deal was all done.
Speaker 15: So they were.
Speaker 14: They were pretty pretty upset in Tampa Bay, as you can imagine, and now they need a new coordinator.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I know that people have brought up his son went to the hospital, but.
Speaker 2: In the court and this just looks messy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that he maybe his son, you know, obviously has something going through something. His wife just posted something an hour ago. But you still got on a plane and went to Jacksonville.
Speaker 14: Correct, Absolutely he did. He didn't say he did not tell the Bucks he was there. You know, I've talked to many of those guys over there. They're just very upset.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 15: It's just not the way you do business.
Speaker 14: You didn't have to sign the contract per se, and nothing was gonna, you know, really prevent you from interviewing for a head coaching job.
Speaker 15: You can't block a guy to do that.
Speaker 14: But you know, the whole uh interpersonal thing that that you know, just kind of flying up there without telling people he was gone, and then not really being you know, fort Wright when he did tell Todd Bowles that, you know, he's kind of looking back into him it at that point, I think he'd already been to Jacksonville. So the timeline is bad. You know, it's like a few good Bucks and we're trying to see check the tower logs and see, you know, when he left.
Speaker 15: And all that stuff. It's just it's just a mess.
Speaker 14: And in the bottom line is the Bucks will now have their fourth offensive coordinator in his many years and for Baker Mayfield it might be eight. I'm not sure I've lost count, but so it affects them obviously next season.
Speaker 2: What's Jacksonville getting, Well, they're.
Speaker 14: Getting a guy that they better anchor down because he's only you know, he's been to like five different places in the last five years.
Speaker 15: But he's a hell of a play caller, he really is.
Speaker 14: He did a nice job schematically, you know, he runs an offense that was similar to what he did in Los Angeles with Sean McVay. He never called place till he got to Tampa in the NFL. But he's a great teacher and these young players, you saw them get better each week, Bucky Irving, Jalen McMillan, guys that had to step in when they lost Mike Evans, when they lost Chris Godwin.
Speaker 15: For the season.
Speaker 14: And you know, he just he gives the quarterback answers, you know, and talking to Baker Mayfield, he had some success with Dave Canalis the year before. He called him an optimist bully, which is what, you know, sort of what he needed, right. But from a schematic standpoint and play calling, Liam was at a different level. He could go to line of scrimmage, get him out of bad place. And you saw what Baker did right, forty one touchdowns, forty five hundred yards, seventy one percent. I mean, he was he was lights out except for too many interceptions. But you know, I just think that they're going to miss his ability to teach and develop and really, you know, the schematics were so good for this football team.
Speaker 2: Is he a head coach though?
Speaker 14: I don't know, you know, And and the thing about that is as great as he was as an offensive coordinator, you know, that's a different job. I mean, you know, there's gonna be five things a day that you're not prepared to have to deal with, you know, anything from you know, your girlfriend broke up with you, your mom sick, whatever it is, and so that's going to take away from his game planning.
Speaker 15: I assume he's going to continue to try to call plays.
Speaker 14: But if you've got Trevor Lawrence and you're trying to, you know, turn him around, you know, I think that he'll he'll find a way to protect him. If they could add some players on the offensive line, get a run game going, He's going to do great things offensively. But you know that's that's that's the job. The job is much different. You're addressing the entire team. You're setting the tone for the franchise and from what I understand, and he's going to have control over who they bring in there to to help him with personnel. So this is not just the head coaching job, but I think in many ways he's going to be more involved in a lot of the player acquisitions and things like that. So it's a it's a big lead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, That's why you know, if you say, look, I don't want to come in under Trent Bulkey, I get it. So you go back, they give you this extension, then all of a sudden they fired Trent Maulkey. Why can't you just say to Tampa, look, things have changed here. They're letting me have total autonomy here. I'd be crazy not to pay, as you know, to pass up this opportunity.
Speaker 2: What would the.
Speaker 3: Buccaneers have rescinded their offer, Like, would they have moved on from him?
Speaker 4: I don't know that they would have.
Speaker 14: I mean, I think they would have hung in there and let him do what he wanted to do. You know, the offer was contingent on him not taking the second interview. I mean, I think, you know, possession is the biggest thing here, right, don't let the guy out of the building. And so that was the Bucks intent with it, like we're going to make you the highest paid offensive coordinator, but you can't take that second interview. So the minute he decided to do that, he kind of avoided what was going to be his new contract, which he never signed. So, you know, it was just it was just a game of subterfuge. It just it didn't make sense that you would kind of sneak around like this. I think that's what most people are upset about in the organization, and believe me, they're pretty upset about it, but they'll get over. It's going to make those joint practices with the Jaguars really entertaining next next year, next summer.
Speaker 2: Rick is always great to talk to you.
Speaker 4: Good to see it.
Speaker 3: Dan Rick Stroun, Buccaneers, NFL beat right for Tampa Bay Times, co author of The Players Coach with Tom Moore from Bradshaw Manning, Brady and Beyond, host of Sports Day Tampa Bay podcast.
Speaker 2: All right, a.
Speaker 3: Couple of phone calls in here, got our poll question for hour two, Seaton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we had the one.
Speaker 8: I didn't know if we were going to go back to figuring out unlikable teams that had become likable, Okay, because right now you kind of have the Eagles in there, who, based on our poll results, seem unlikable.
Speaker 2: Okay. I don't really know why, though.
Speaker 8: It might be their fans, Okay, no offense, maybe some.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Are the LA Dodgers entering that category or in that category with how they are overspending in comparison to the rest of baseball? The Yankees had that generation ago that's cooled the Dodgers feel like they're entering that. Geez, these guys won't give anyone else a chance.
Speaker 7: Category do you.
Speaker 2: Care if people don't like you? If I'm a Dodger fan, I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like you have to embrace this like Yankee fans did in a previous generation. There are dynasties where you just say, you're not going to like us, deal with it, Like I don't think that the Chiefs aren't apologizing for anything, Like, Okay, you don't like us, So did the Patriots apologize?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Now you might say, are the Dodgers ruining baseball? Now that's a bigger topic. But that's a topic really for the commissioner. That's a topic for these owners of What kind of sport do you want to run?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 3: You can spend all this money, you can defer money. You've got all these billions of billions of dollars with the ownership group there, you got a pipeline to players in Japan. I mean, they're taking advantage of everything that they have, all of their assets. But why wouldn't you? Now, I may not like it because I want to see these other you know, like i'd like for Paul's schemes to maybe pitch in a playoff, Gamers or the you know, the Reds. You know, to be able to be in the postseason. You know, to see Dela Cruz on a big stage. I would like to see that, but the odds are will see them on a big stage in another uniform. I'd like to be able to see teams have that opportunity. I mean, the NFL goes out of its way to make sure you have parody. They're trying their best. You have salary caps. They change the schedule. If you finish in first, your schedule's tougher. If you finish in last, it's easier. They go out of their way to keep the fan bases engaged. And that's the only thing I worry about. Because the Dodgers are the Dodgers over under for next season. This is the It might be the highest over underwin total in recent history.
Speaker 16: Marvin one hundred and eight and a half, Paul one oh two and a half ton won eleven and a half seaton dang eleven?
Speaker 2: Uh, Paul, you said one O two and a half?
Speaker 8: Uh one O three and a half?
Speaker 3: Bloop Yes, one O three and a half. And according to uh DraftKings sports book history. That's the highest over under total for a team.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Point.
Speaker 11: So the Dodgers are frustrating, but they're not dislikable because they're players. Everyone loves Otani, he's transfixing, he's fun, Freddie Freeman, Mookie Betts. There's not dislikable people on their roster.
Speaker 3: Dave Roberts their manager, right, love their uniforms gorgeous?
Speaker 9: Yeah, yes, don So when do they become as likable as they may be the new evil empire?
Speaker 10: Or are they already there?
Speaker 9: And the Yankees are in the rearview mirror in the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: I think they're a likable empire, like a dictator ish Yeah. I I don't know if you dis I mean, you may dislike the method to becoming an empire, but.
Speaker 2: I mean they bought those rings. Yeah yeah, but the same with the Yankees, like go Yankees wore that a lot. Yeah, they were that one a lot.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, Mark, can we stop with the I know see it was making a joke buying those rings.
Speaker 5: No one plays for free, like you get you get what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So nobody plays place for free.
Speaker 7: I checked that He's right, is.
Speaker 5: That okay, Like when somebody says, oh, they bought those rings, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I would, but the union won't let me.
Speaker 8: So I just gotta take this money.
Speaker 5: Like what does that even mean?
Speaker 14: Uh?
Speaker 2: It means you spent more than everybody else, so stupid, go ahead, But they did.
Speaker 5: But that you're.
Speaker 2: Supposed to, Well, not everybody has the money.
Speaker 5: Make more money at me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have a war chest of over thirty billion dollars, I think. And if you can say to Otani, why don't you defer all of this money?
Speaker 2: Sure? I mean, how much does he need?
Speaker 3: And then you're going to say that to somebody else and somebody else, and you're all in it together. You got a chance to win, you got to play. You can play in Los Angeles.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: They're just taking advantage of what is in front of them. They're not changing loopholes here. Now, you might say the deferred money might be, but still that's business strategy. When the Yankees were spending more money than everybody else, they were doing it, and they were making money from the Yes network. They did something nobody else and then everybody else tried to get their own network. The Yankees did a wonderful job with that, and whether you liked it or not, it was still musty TV and they embraced being the evil Empire.
Speaker 2: Yes, ton, if.
Speaker 5: It's legal, it's legal.
Speaker 9: It's like when a quarterback pretends to slide but then they reach for that extra yard and they're not that had bounce yet certain quarterbacks and the AFT title.
Speaker 2: No, I got it. I'm not sure what that has to do with a.
Speaker 11: Very cryptic Todd, who are you referencing?
Speaker 2: Anything that's legal is legal.
Speaker 9: You're allowed to do this, even though the current president of the United States has admitted to certain tax loopholes. And people do whatever they can do as long as it's within the law.
Speaker 2: What happened? Where are we going?
Speaker 9: I'm sever whether it's money or politics or anything whatever. If something is legal, take it all the way. You could take it all the way to the line, whether your quarterback looking for that extra yard or whatever it is, or you could spend you're allowed to spend one hundred billion dollars on your team, then you're to go do it if you haven't.
Speaker 11: Okay, Yes, yes, it's like a guy walk out of a store and not getting charged for dishes and plates exactly going back. It's not cheating or stealing, but it's crossed.
Speaker 2: That was stealing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that wasn't exactly a loophole, that took advantage. That was just straight up.
Speaker 2: We forgot to pay for this stuff.
Speaker 3: You and your wife and then you, you know, screeched out of there.
Speaker 9: For a moment, we considered going back, and then we rationalize that at least I did by these plates are probably so overpriced.
Speaker 7: Anyway, you're not getting any bar.
Speaker 2: You broke the rules. He broke the rules. Technically, take them back.
Speaker 9: And steal it.
Speaker 3: They gave it, but I'd take a break. I just looked over and on my monitor, I see Clay Matthews there.
Speaker 9: I didn't grab the box and run out of the store, and all the lights went on and there was alarms going off.
Speaker 2: By the way, Clay Matthews looks like he's about thirty three.
Speaker 11: Frustrating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thirty three. All right, let me take a break.
Speaker 3: We'll talk to Clay Matthews Junior the third and we'll get phone calls coming up as well.
Speaker 2: We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 13: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and Together. We're Cavino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Why should you listen to and Rich?
Speaker 13: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 10: So check us out.
Speaker 13: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 10: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 13: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and rich.
Speaker 3: More phone calls coming up. The most must win game of the weekend. I have that for you coming up as well. Ryan Day, Ohio state head coach in an hour from now. The Jags they lost their possible head coach, then they got their head coach, and Liam Cohen going to the Jacksonville Jaguars after saying he wasn't going to go there, then went back to Tampa. Then they fired the GM Trent Bulke, and then he went back to Jacksonville, and now I guess he's agreed in principle to be their new head coach. So that leaves Cowboys, Raiders, and the Saints. I don't know if anybody's looking for somebody who's still in the playoffs, but that might be the case, except for the Cowboys might be hiring Brian Schottenheimer, although I guess they reached out to Pete Carroll. Pete Carroll was Clay Matthews coach at US City. In fact, Pete Carroll said, the greatest mistake at SC was not starting you until your fourth game of your senior year.
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 5: That's right?
Speaker 3: Why did it take that long for him to realize what he had in you.
Speaker 5: They were.
Speaker 17: We at the time had, you know, littered with five star recruits, blue chip athletes. In fact, my senior year, Everson Griffin came in and Pete had named him or he had said that Everson could be playing in the NFL as a freshman, so he was playing in front of me. So I think it was just you don't see a walk on go from being a walk on to starting for the number one ranked defense in the country.
Speaker 5: So I think that was the ultimate hang up.
Speaker 17: And it took a loss to Oregon State on Thursday night for me to actually break the lineup. And if we had never lost, that was our only loss of the season. Who knows what the history books, you know, who knows what would have happened.
Speaker 2: Why did you walk on at us D?
Speaker 5: I had no offers. I had no offers.
Speaker 17: I lied to a few people when I got to sc because I wanted to fit in.
Speaker 5: They're like, oh, you know, where did you have offers to the class? I picked some lowly packed ten schools.
Speaker 17: I said, Arizona, Arizona State, even I even ventured to say Idaho.
Speaker 5: But I didn't have any.
Speaker 2: Well, when did you realize you could play at a high level.
Speaker 17: It was probably my third year there some my red shirt sophomore year, I started getting on some special teams and making some plays kickoff, punt, just kind of had a knack for it and ended up winning Special Teams Player of the Year that year as well as the following two years. So after that year, I felt like I could play. But you know, to say that I would have been a first round.
Speaker 5: Draft pick, I would have been lying to you.
Speaker 3: You're a six time pro bowler and the Packers' all time sack leader. Has your name been mentioned for a Hall of Fame?
Speaker 5: I'd like to think so.
Speaker 17: So this year I was I was shocked when my name wasn't one of the one hundred and seventy guys or however that works.
Speaker 5: And I had my agent.
Speaker 17: Look into it because I thought I at least deserved the opportunity to be within that group of gentlemen. And apparently you have to have somebody nominate you, and the person who was the Packers, you know, who heads the Packers, wasn't aware that my five years since retiring was up, so I just got skipped over, and he assured my representatives that next year that wouldn't be an issue. But that leads to another conversation, which is, you know the process of nominating people. I mean it's it's let's just say, cooler heads, you know, prevail.
Speaker 5: Just because I was a little I was a little hot about it.
Speaker 3: Well it's tricky though, because it should be. If somebody says your name and then you go, yeah, hall of famer. But now we see it where you're not a Hall of Famer now, but in four years you might be a Hall of Famer. You didn't play any more games, So I don't know. I don't know how that worked. Like Sterling Sharp. I think Sterling Sharp's a Hall of Famer. I mean he if we're going to put Terrell Davis in injury shortened career or Gail, I mean he was incredible. He won the Triple Crown. I think maybe the first guy to win the receiving Triple Crown.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Dan, we went through this with my dad.
Speaker 17: As a matter of fact, So my dad nineteen year career, you know, four time Pro bowler, just most games played by a linebacker.
Speaker 5: I might have the most tackles by.
Speaker 17: A linebacker up there with seou But he played for a small market in Cleveland for sixteen years and never won a championship, and wasn't you know, big on promoting himself. And ultimately, for the first twenty four years he would make you know, the top seventy five, top twenty five. And it wasn't until the last couple of years when my sister really I got to give her credits. She really started campaigning, politicking. Where the last year, the twenty fifth year, my father finished sixth. The voters came out, you know, they told her confident, like, hey, he was just he was in that top ten but finished six So like you had said, he didn't play anymore games. He didn't do anything different within those twenty five years since retiring in ninety six. Yet somehow he was, you know, a couple of votes away from being enshrined into the you know, the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 5: But he didn't for you know, the twenty years before that.
Speaker 17: It's it's all process. But I do understand what you're saying. There's guys who are you know, sure doubt or excuse me, no doubt, surefire Hall of famers, and then there's those who you know, kind of have to wait.
Speaker 5: A little bit.
Speaker 2: What did it break your dad's heart? Now?
Speaker 17: He's uh, he's always said that he's at peace with his career, and he means that, you know, and fortunately I got to model, you know, my game after his. And so when I got out of the game, we none of us ever, you know, we're always ushered out, you know, never on our own terms, very rarely. And so I think that has allowed not only myself not to make this about myself, but just watching him and how he left the game, so to speak, you know, conduct himself.
Speaker 3: Really talking to Clay Matthews, super Bowl champ with the Packers, six time Pro bowler joining us on behalf of COLT. We'll get to that here in a moment. Last time you talked to Aaron Rodgers was when.
Speaker 5: Well he text every once in a while.
Speaker 17: I want to say it was it was the louder part of this season, but it was nothing, nothing more than you know, inside.
Speaker 5: Jokes and humor. I'm sure he needed that at that point in this season.
Speaker 2: So it's not a conversation.
Speaker 3: It's not a close relationship.
Speaker 17: I mean, it's it's close, but I mean I'm not I'm not gonna ask him in the middle of the season or the latter parts of the season, like, hey, what are you thinking for next year? Are you gonna stick with the Jets? You going to the Vikings? I mean, what, you know, what's going on here? So I'm sure I'll find out like everybody else. But you know, as we know, he's an enigma.
Speaker 2: Was he that way?
Speaker 15: Though?
Speaker 2: In Green Bay? We just it wasn't put on, you know, a national stage for us.
Speaker 5: Well when you say was he that way? What are you what are you referring to?
Speaker 2: Enigma?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 17: No, he was, Yeah, different in difference, not I don't mean that in a negative connotation.
Speaker 5: He's always been different.
Speaker 17: I've always said, you know, you you compare him to some of these other quarterbacks, the uh, these the I'm gonna call them the.
Speaker 5: Raw raw guys. And I don't mean that in a negative way.
Speaker 17: But you know leaders of team who you know, bring the huddle together, Drew Breeses, the Peyton Mannings. I always compared him growing up in La to Kobe. You know, if you wanted to be great and you wanted to be better, you would gravitate towards him and he.
Speaker 5: Would bring you in.
Speaker 17: And that's why you saw the relationships he had with Jordy Nelson, Davante Adams, Greg Jennings. You know, they they were elite at the time, and he was able to form that chemistry because those guys had such.
Speaker 5: A strong bond.
Speaker 2: So he led by example.
Speaker 17: He led by absolutely, he led by example. I mean practice was so competitive, so much fun. I mean, he was trying to go at us. It wasn't this you know, lovey dovey, you know, hey, you'll get him in the game.
Speaker 5: It was we were going after each other.
Speaker 3: But Kobe there was a fear factor there, like Kobe wanted to crush you, even if you were his teammate, like you, I want you to be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, was Rogers like that.
Speaker 17: I mean it's a little different when you're auditioning out the ball, like you know, like Aaron was to his receivers. But yeah, I think you know, when is enough enough? It is four MVPs enough. I'm sure he wonted five. And that's why I truly make that comparison to him, because I think he wants to crush you. Now, obviously we're on the same team, but in practice, that's no different. And I'm sure you know, watching him this year. You see those glimpses of of you know what he has, and I don't know what that means moving forward. I thought it was I thought for me it was pretty telling when he walked off the field with Davante with his arm around him, and we remember when he walked off the field with Randall Cobb in Green Bay with that meant So we'll see if I'm reading into it too much just being a fanboy, or or what's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: But I'd love it. Do you think he's gonna play one more year?
Speaker 5: I think he should play one more year. Do I think he will? I don't know.
Speaker 3: What would you do if Mahomes did what he does with the going to the sidelines or I'm gonna slide.
Speaker 2: I might slide. I kind of slide. So you hit them?
Speaker 17: Yeah, where I did hit people in twenty eighteen, that's when the narrative change. We're talking about Aaron Rodgers. It wasn't until Anthony Barr broke his collarbone. I want to say, in seventeen maybe sixteen, where the shift changed and you weren't allowed to hit the quarterback anymore. And you know some would argue that's a good thing for the sport, you know, keeping the Mahomes and the Josh Allens and Lamar Jackson's, but they've taken full advantage of it, and it's it's hard to man, it's hard to watch, you know, these quarterback especially with the flopping too. It's guys making fifty sixty million dollars getting every call, you know, having so much success, and they're still they're dancing around the sideline, they're sliding when they you know, become a runner. So it is hard to watch. And I hope there's a you know, an onus on changing that next year as.
Speaker 2: Far as okay, what would you do, what would you do the rev you know, create the rule.
Speaker 17: The rule is the refs need to stop calling those plays until the quarterbacks learned that it's your one to get hit.
Speaker 5: It's part of the game. It's a tough game.
Speaker 17: I mean the type of hits I used to deliver on quarterbacks first eight nine years in my career versus the last two. That's how the game should be played. You're allowed one step, you give them a hit. If the quarterback gets the ball late, you got to let him know. It's no different than guys coming across the middle. You had dbs who put hits, but now there's defensive defenseless receivers and you see quarterbacks. You saw that Josh Allen Pass. I want to say in the I don't know if it's the wild Carter divisional game where you know he got his receiver or running back knocked out, it was that's what's gonna happen coming across the middle.
Speaker 5: But I'm old school in my thought. I know that has to change.
Speaker 17: I just think to answer your question, I think referees need to keep, you know, the flags in their pocket unless it's truly egregious. And that leads to a separate conversation about referees.
Speaker 3: Did you ever have a sack or a hit on a quarterback where he felt bad.
Speaker 5: Where I felt bad about it? Never? Never, Although no, I changed, I'm sorry I thought about that.
Speaker 17: I didn't have a sack, but I hit Brian Hoyer one time and I broke his arm. I broke his forearm and I met him years later, and I apologize. I felt I never want to injure anybody. I know everybody says that, but truly I felt bad about that.
Speaker 2: But how do you apologize if it's part of the game.
Speaker 17: Oh, like, well, I didn't apologize at the time, but when you see him face to face and then and then you kind of remove the shield, the mask, so to speak, and there's a you know, some humility and a human element to it. But no, I didn't apologize during the game. It wasn't like, yeah, I got him out of the game. But you know, you never want to hurt anybody.
Speaker 3: I keep saying that somebody's going to hit Mahomes and they're going to take the penalty, they'll take the fund and like, at some point that's going to happen here.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't.
Speaker 3: Like saying that, but the reality is somebody will eventually say this has to stop.
Speaker 17: I you're right, Dan, this might I don't even know. Yeah, so I'm dating on whether and I tell you this but in the the two but I will. Two thousand and fourteen NFC Championship game against Seattle, Russell Wilson threw an interception and this was right around the time they were you know, these crackback hits and stuff, and I tried, I tried to give him everything I had.
Speaker 5: And fortunately stuck it out.
Speaker 17: That's when he drank that bubbly water that got rid of whatever head injury he had. But you're right, that is that is what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: So you went out of your way, you were you were trying to take his head off.
Speaker 17: I didn't go out of my way to go get him. You'll see, he was naturally in the way. He was trying to make the tackle, but I wasn't. I wasn't gonna because he was a quarterback. I wasn't gonna put my hands up. I was trying to put a hit on. That's what we're supposed to do.
Speaker 2: I know, I know. Why are you yelling to be No.
Speaker 5: You're right, I'm sorry. I'm just tell him taking this out on you.
Speaker 17: But there's this narrative now that you're a dirty player if you hit a quarterback, you know, just because the rules have changed so much to protect them.
Speaker 2: Do you have a tackling dummy at the house, So like, kid, do you need to hit somebody?
Speaker 7: My kids?
Speaker 5: My kids? Yeah, I tackle them. I wrestle with them. We don't hit them, We tackle them. We wrestled.
Speaker 2: When's the last time you hit somebody?
Speaker 5: Oh, I didn't get my workout in this morning. But it's been a while.
Speaker 17: I help out with my my five year old's flag football team. Hey, we won the championship this year. Yeah, I want a championship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like it. Does he have a ponytail yet?
Speaker 17: No, no ponytail. He's he's high and tight. He goes to a private school, so they frown on that.
Speaker 3: All right, tell me, but you if he wanted a ponytail, you'd say all right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 17: In fact, I probably petitioned the school and say ponytails by Dan Patrick has me on.
Speaker 2: Dude, you look like you're like in your mid thirties.
Speaker 5: It's that strong hairline.
Speaker 2: No, you look at you look like you could play.
Speaker 5: Well listen, I mean not to.
Speaker 17: I felt like I could still play after year eleven with the Rams. But you know, this is a separate conversation. I was ready to move on to be a dad. It was my second you know, second chapter, third chet, whatever it was in life. I was ready to be a dad. But I felt like I could still play. I don't know about right now, but I appreciate the compliment.
Speaker 3: All right, tell us what you're doing with Safety Impact Award dot Com.
Speaker 17: Yeah, so I appreciate you first giving me the opportunity to talk about this. It's something that means a great deal to me, having a young family, being an outdoorsman and a firearm enthusiast. But ultimately, I teamed up with Glock this year to launch the Safety Impact Award, which highlights the critical mission of educating everybody on safe and responsible firearm ownership. Together, we're honoring nonprofit organizations that have shown an exceptional commitment to safety within the firearm industry. And it's not just me, it's Hall of Famer Joe Thomas, Super Bowl Champions, Adam Military, Fletcher Cox. We're all supporting our respective non profits. I am supporting Project Child Safe, and what we're doing is we're asking everybody to go to Safety impactowar.
Speaker 5: Dot com to vote.
Speaker 17: We're competing against one another for our nonprofit and Quote will donate one dollar for every vote received for the winning charity. And on top of that, when you do register to vote, you have an opportunity to win a lot of prizes.
Speaker 5: Money get entered.
Speaker 17: I want to get this right into the Big Game Safety Sweepstakes, where if there's a safety during the Super Bowl, fans have an opportunity.
Speaker 5: To win up to one hundred thousand dollars.
Speaker 17: So, like I said, it's something close to me, you know, like I said, having firearms myself, having a young family, and I encourage everybody to go to Safety impactdward dot com.
Speaker 3: Great to talk to you again. I hope you're doing well and we'll work on that Hall of Fame stuff.
Speaker 5: Hey, I appreciate it, Dan, thanks for having me on always pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thank you, bun. We'll take a break. Oh no, can't take a break.
Speaker 11: One point emergency fill in the blanked in NFL news game.
Speaker 7: We have to do this quickly.
Speaker 11: Okay, here's the thing from Adam Schefter sources. The Raiders and Blank are aiming to work out a deal to make him the next head coach the Raiders and Blank. Pete Carroll, He Carol's correct, what day?
Speaker 2: What let me take a break?
Speaker 3: I should bring back I should bring back Clay Matthews to asking Pete Carroll going to the Raiders.
Speaker 2: All right, take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP. You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: Final hour in the program, morale is high to meet Friday white bean chicken chili that has been simmering for three hours now, and it is beautiful Jamaican beef patties as well. Who has it better than we do? Staut of the Day brought to you by a Pennium America, The official Trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 2: If you're just tuning in.
Speaker 3: Pete Carroll is back in the NFL the Raiders and Pete Carroll working on a deal, finalizing a deal to make him the next head coach of the Raiders, reportedly a three year deal. Booker McFarlane in the Mothership. We'll get his reaction to this coming up shortly, and Ryan Day, Ohio state head coach, will stop by as well. The Jags have a new coach. He's Liam Cohen, and he left Tampa Bay, went to Jacksonville and then came back to Tampa Bay, and then left Tampa Bay and then went back to Jacksonville. And now he goes back as the head coach. Commander's Eagles three Eastern, Bill's Chiefs six point thirty Eastern and weather shouldn't be an issue either one of these places. Commander's still getting six and the Bills are getting one and a half. More phone calls coming up this final hour, we make way for NFL College and ESPN College and NFL analyst Booker McFarland on the program. Your reaction to Pete Carroll back in the NFL coach and the Raiders booger.
Speaker 18: Well, I think the Raiders want stability. I think that's the one thing you're getting when you get a veteran coach like Pete Carroll.
Speaker 4: I think it's good.
Speaker 18: I think Pete Carroll is going to give them a sense of okay, now we are a professional organization. Not that they weren't well with Antonio appears, but you just got the feeling that there was always the question are we going to keep Antonio or are we not? I think Pete Carroll's hire says we got our coach. I think it's a three year deal with the team option for the fourth, So I think Pete's in good shape. Now the Raiders have stability. Now comes the big question, Dan, who's going to be the quarterback? Because I don't think Gardner Minshew or aoc ain't O'Connell either one of them are the answers, So now they have to figure that out. And then I think Pete Carroll has always been a guy that got his team to play at a maximum level.
Speaker 4: So I expect no different now with the Raiders.
Speaker 3: Okay, but as a veteran, like what is Pete Carroll going to bring to that organization aside from SI But I'm talking about day to day like why would Pete Carroll be the person that they wanted. I know they lost out on Ben Johnson, but yeah, you go from Ben Johnson with no head coaching experience to Pete Carroll with a lot of head coaching experience.
Speaker 18: Structure, been there, He's taking team to Super Bowls. Like, Pete understands how to get it done. Pete knows what it takes. And I think anytime you have somebody that stands in front of the room who knows what it takes, you automatically have buy in because you've been there, You've done that, and so now the players know that if we just do what Pete says, Pete will take us there. And there's nothing better in any type of job that you're in. I think you will attest to this, There's nothing better than confidence. It's amazing what happens when you get the right people in the right place. How that gives an organization confidence. Just look at the Washington Commanders. They were left for dead last year. In comes Dan Quinn, they get new ownership, they get a new quarterback, and they're planning for a chance to go to the Super Bowl.
Speaker 7: Dan.
Speaker 18: Let that be no better example than when you get the right people in the right spot. Now your organization can take off. Whether the Raiders take off at that level, we'll see, but they definitely have the right coach.
Speaker 4: In my opinion.
Speaker 3: The big difference is obviously Jaden Daniels. But is this team's pretty much the team that was there last year and then you add Jayden to this? I mean, is it that simple that that kind of turnaround.
Speaker 18: Well, the quarterback is a big piece, and then you bring in Bobby Wagner, you get some veteran guys, but there's no question that the quarterback is the central piece to that. He touches the ball every single play. Then and when you have a guy that's a difference maker that touches the ball every single play, Now the other fifty two guys in the organization understand and know that we got a guy that can compete with the upper echeline of the league. And I'm not saying he's better than Mahomes of Barol Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen, but he can't compete. And when I wake up and go to the building every morning, man, that's a great feeling because I know, if I do my job, we got a chance. There's a there's a difference when you have a guy in there. And no disrespect to Sam Howell. Sam Howell wasn't getting me warm and fuzzy every time I walked in the building. Jay Daniels gives me an opportunity to be that way.
Speaker 2: How do they beat the Eagles?
Speaker 4: Stop the run.
Speaker 18: They got to stop sa Kwon Barkley. And it sounds crazy because Jalen Hurts. We've seen him go toe to toe with Patrick Mahomes and the Super Bowl. But they got to make Jalen Hurst beat him. They got to make Jalen Hurst throw the football to A J. Brown and Davonte Smith.
Speaker 17: Uh.
Speaker 4: I think it's the lesser of.
Speaker 18: Two evils because either one the passing game or the running game, can get you. But I think if you are the commanders, you've got to take away these fifty sixty seven yard runs the sain Kwon Bark has been putting up and make Jalen Hurts beat you. And I think if they do that, they'll at least give themselves an opportunity.
Speaker 3: Then we don't know if he's one hundred percent Jalen Hurts right. So given that you know that knee could be a little bonky, or do you want to kind of wars him to be mobile as opposed to force him to being a pocket pancer.
Speaker 18: Well, I think anytime he's in the pocket number one, you want to get pressure up the middle, like with Jonathan Allen Deron paying you want pressure up the middle, and then you want to make him go to his left. I think the numbers are astronomically worse when he goes to his left, as you would expect right handed quarterback going left. It's tougher to throw. So you want to make him go to his left rather than scramblin to his right. So if I'm bringing pressure, I'm bringing pressure from his right arm. I'm gonna make him go left. Anything you can get to take advantage of his impairment, because let's face it, nobody even if you don't get your knee twisted is healthy this time of year, but especially him when he.
Speaker 4: Got that knee twisted up.
Speaker 18: I mean, we thought maybe he wasn't going to come back in the game last week, and then he comes back and he finishes. I don't think he's going to be one hundred percent. I think if you're an Eagles fan and you're hoping he's closer to eighty five or ninety, I would bet he's probably closer to seventy five.
Speaker 4: Will know early. I'm blitzing him early, and I'm going to see whether.
Speaker 18: Or not he can run. And if I know early on he can't run, that changes my entire game plan. And so I think you're gonna see dan Quinn find out in the first series how healthy that need is by bringing pressure from the from the right, from his right arm, or up the middle, make him run and just see how healthy he is.
Speaker 3: What would you do as a defensive player with Mahomes with the sliding that going out of the going out of bounds, Dude, it feels like, you know, he knows he's protected and he's kind of flirting with these rules here.
Speaker 2: But as a defensive player, what would you do.
Speaker 4: I think it's up to the coaches.
Speaker 18: Number One, pre game, I think you have a talk to the referees like, hey, listen, we know the quarterback is protected. However, how do you want us to handle this when he's a runner, Because when he's a runner, he's not protected, because again he's a runner, not a quarterback in the pocket. But we've seen mahomes run down the field and then slide twenty or thirty yards down the field. And so I'm having a talk with the referee just to say, hey, let's alert and be on alert for the late slide because if I'm already in my tackling motion, I can't stop. And then you got to tell your defenders, hey, guys, let's proceed with aggressive caution. And here's what I mean. You got to go ahet in one hundred miles an hour. And then at the last minute, if you think if he's sliding, then use your hands. Don't hit him with your elbow in your head, use your hands to get him down. I think the biggest deal with these penalties is you're seeing a lot of blows with your shoulder pass or the helmet or the form to Patrick Mahomes's head. Let's use our hands to get him on the ground. And I think if they do that, they'll probably get the benefit of the doubt. But I think Patrick understands how to manipulate the rules a little bit, and I don't blame it. How many times have we seen him though, like he's going out of bounds and he puts that foot in the ground and gets another ten or fifteen. I think that's what you have to alert the reff like, hey, how are you going to call that?
Speaker 4: And what would you like me to do?
Speaker 2: Booger.
Speaker 3: I've said it now, I'm not calling for it, but I know that somebody's going to hit him. Somebody's going to pop him at some point. If you're going to continue to flirt with the I'm going out of bound, not going out of bounds. I'm sliding them, not slily. Somebody's going to take a shot. Deal with the fifteen yards benches clear, Maybe a fine, but until the NFL, if you want to protect your quarterbacks, they have to do better at this rule or these rules so the defense can understand, how can this be a level playing field? Because as it is now, it's not a level playing field. And maybe they don't want that booger, but at some point I worry that somebody's going to take a shot.
Speaker 18: Well, I don't think to your point, I don't know if they've wanted to be a level playing field because they realize that the quarterback sale. Like right now we're looking at jayde Daniels, Jalen Hurtz, Patrick Mahomes, and Josh Allen, and I think the NFL is salivating right now. We're gonna any combination of two of these four quarterbacks in the super Bowl.
Speaker 4: We can sell it.
Speaker 18: And that's what you want, Like if you go back to the Super Bowl with Nick Foles in it, like the NFL, like Philadelphia want everybody's happy. But we ain't selling Nick Foles to America to tune in with one hundred and thirty million people. I love Nick Foles, but he's not making me warm and fuzzy to turn the TV to CBS. And so I think that the NFL is going to protect their quarterbacks. However, you have to make the game fair for defensive players. And to your point, Dan, I may even tell my defenders this, Hey, guys, early in the game, first half, first half, I'll give you I'll give you a little leeway. So if he's going out of bounce, take a shot because we can recover in the second half. Now, like the game, you gotta be cautious, but the first half, let's light his ass up a little bit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: NFL Prime Time with Chris Berman and Booger McFarland right after the game the AFC Title Game at around five eastern on the Mothership? Are the Bills a running team?
Speaker 18: I think the Bills are whatever they need to be team. You know, when they had Stefan Diggs, that's all we talked about was Stefan Diggs, Josh Allen. Now they've morphed into this team that they can do whatever they need to do. They went out and got a Marii Cooper so they can throw the football to secure Amari Cooper. They got the two tighty impactage they can go to. They can throw out the James Cook out of the backfield, so they have weapon to throw the football. However, I think what we've realized is this postseason, dam the more physical teams are winning these games.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 18: The team that can control the line of scrimmage and be physically imposing those are the teams that are winning these games. And I think Buffalo had said, Okay, we've tried this with Josh being Superman.
Speaker 4: That didn't work. We've tried this a number of ways. So how about let's be physical.
Speaker 18: Let's get thirty five carries a game between our running backs and Josh Allen.
Speaker 4: Let's control the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 18: And then in those moments late in the movie, okay about the time the movies about the commes tell the god at quarterback to put the kpe on and now go turn into Superman. And when he turns into Superman, that means whatever he needs to do.
Speaker 4: If he needs to.
Speaker 18: Run thirty, run thirty, if he needs to throw a sixty, to throw a sixty. And so I think they've developed into that type of team with one caveat, don't turn the football over. They haven't turned the ball over, and I think those are the primary reasons they've been successful.
Speaker 2: Are you chiefed out?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 18: I never get chiefed out, because when you're a competitor, every year is different and so to say I'm chiefed out would mean that I'm rooting for I'm not rooting for the best teams.
Speaker 4: I think that each and every time you go out. You got to earn it.
Speaker 18: The Chiefs have earned back to back Super Bowls. If they get to a third, they will have earned it. Everything is earned in this business. Then nothing is given, man, And so I'm not chiefed out because I know how hard.
Speaker 4: It is to go and earn what it is that you need to get.
Speaker 18: To win a Super Bowl. I want to none of them. Nothing has ever been given. Everything has got to be earned.
Speaker 2: Do you think the Chiefs get favorable calls?
Speaker 18: I think the home team is always gonna get favorable calls, and the Chiefs have pretty much been at home except for one playoff run, So I do think that they get favorable calls because the crowd to think about this, I'm gonna put a scenario out there. Let's say Patrick Mahomes is running down the chief sideline and there's a questionable hit. Everybody in the stadium along with everybody in the sideline is going to be throw the flag through the flag, and human nature is going to kind of influence the official Look like it takes somebody really that that's got a really nice temperament and a really strong demeanor not to listen to seventy thousand plus all the coaches in front of your in front of your face doing that. So I think the home team, especially on the home sideline, always get a favorable flag.
Speaker 3: My best to Chris Berman and we'll be watching Sunday night. Great to talk to you again always man.
Speaker 4: Love coming on with you guys.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me, Sir Booger McFarlane. One of these days he's coming up for a meet Friday. It keeps threatening. I mean, we'll get ready, We'll have he can create the menu NFL Primetime with Chris Berman and Booger right after the conclusion of the AFC title game on the mother Ship Alex in Utah. Then we'll take a break. Ryan Day, the Ohio state head coach, will join us.
Speaker 2: Hey Alex, Hey.
Speaker 19: Morning, guys. Happy to meet Friday.
Speaker 4: I am yeah.
Speaker 19: I in my short time as like a big football fan, I can't think of a better coach division than the AFC West now, So I guess that's sort of.
Speaker 4: My question is there has there been a better coach.
Speaker 19: Division where you have potentially four Hall of Famers all coaching one division at the same time, And also makes me wonder how long before Tom Brady goes to give Pete Carroll high five and then just low balls him by saying, Hey, Malcolm Butler and balk Away.
Speaker 3: I don't know if Malcolm Butler comes up in the press conference when they introduced Pete Carol, I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Just guessing coach, we're handing this one off or yeah, uh, Pete, game on the line. You're gonna run the ball?
Speaker 4: Let go?
Speaker 2: Are you going to pass the ball? Good question. We'll have to do some research.
Speaker 3: Is this the best head coaching division in recent memory with the NFL?
Speaker 5: Yes, morv recent memory.
Speaker 6: I was going to say all time NFC East was at Parcels, Tom Landry, Joe Gibbs.
Speaker 5: That's just all the time for.
Speaker 3: Meal was was ver Meil the head coach? Then the Eagles. All right, let me take a break. We'll talk to Brian Day after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 3: Try to sneak in a few more phone calls here waiting for Ryan Day, head coach at Ohio State. That AFC West with Pete Carroll with the Raiders, Jim Harball with the Chargers, Sean Payton in Denver, Andy Reid, and Kansas City. We were trying to come up with on short notice, is there another conference division that had coaches that would rival this one? Because Andy Reach's Hall of Famer, Jim Harball, he's a football Hall.
Speaker 2: Of Fame, not NFL hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: And Sean Payton probably a borderline Hall of Famer. Pete Carroll in there as well, winning a Super Bowl, losing a Super Bowl as well, but now back with the Raiders and a three year deal eight seven to seven to three. DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. He's Ryan Day, head coach at Ohio State National Champs coach. Congratulations. How much of this was joy and how much of this was relief?
Speaker 7: It was a combination of the two.
Speaker 20: Yeah, it was it was both, and I think the whole run that we went on throughout the playoffs was that way. I really haven't had as much fun coaching a team like that in a long time.
Speaker 7: It was just a bunch of guys together.
Speaker 20: There really was no class because class was out and we just spent a bunch of time together and had a bunch of bunch of fun playing. But in the end, as we headed in that last game, we just knew that, you know, it would just be another story that kind of comes and goes. But now the fact that we won, we're able to cement that story in the history of college football, and obviously at Ohio State.
Speaker 3: But take me back to Michigan, and I had a former player say this to me that when Michigan tried to plant the flag, that maybe brought your team together or more together. Whether that's true or not, you would know that better. But it's almost like it galvanized this team. Nothing's going to be easy us against the world. They embarrassed us. Now let's go out and prove that we're still the best team. Anything I'm saying that wasn't true.
Speaker 20: I think it's certainly part of the story of the year. There's no question about that. And I felt like this team was close anyways. I thought we were galvanized. But when you go through something like that, you know you have to regroup and figure out, most importantly, what happened and how do we get these things fixed. So you know, there's a lot of ways to look at this and some more dramatic than others, But the truth is we had to get things fixed. There was things that were just not right coming out of that game that you know, in all three phases, we need to get addressed. And that was the bottom line. And then there was a lot of other things that came with it, as you know. And you know, once we got those things addressed and the players recognize that things needed to get fixed and knew the plan going into the Tennessee game, there was just there was a collective, just like you said, a bunch of guys together saying, all right, we're gonna make this run and we're gonna be danger once we get some momentum going again.
Speaker 2: But how does this affect you personally?
Speaker 3: You lose to Michigan again, and you know that topic in Columbus in that state, and you know, you're you're I don't know if you're fighting for survival or what I tell me your emotions where you lose to Michigan again, and you know the importance of what that means.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I mean, certainly, you know, there was obviously disappointment amongst all the other emotions, but you know, once those things kind of come and go and you have a couple of days you have to refocus yourself. And as difficult as that was, it was an opportunity to write an unbelievable story in the next month. And I felt like it was an opportunity for me as a dad, as a husband, and as a man to show my family that you know, when you get knocked down and you're backed up against the wall, that you know, it's about how you handle yourself and how you fight yourself out of these types of situations. And then and then, you know, for our team, you know, for the guys on the team and the seniors and even the young guys to watch, you know, you know, how you handle yourself and then have something to grab on to it for the rest of their life, and then serve as an example for all the Buckeye fans who you know, certainly you know had ups and downs this season, but we're able to, you know, see how you handle yourself when when things get really really difficult, And I think that really defines people's character.
Speaker 3: It was reported there were death threats. How do you talk to your kids about that or your wife about how do you process that?
Speaker 7: I think every year for us it's become.
Speaker 20: Easier to manage when you know our family first was named you know, the head coach in twenty nineteen. My wife and the kids were smaller than we were, all sitting on the bed together, and I've told the story before.
Speaker 7: She said, you know, started crying, said our family's never going to be the same again. And she was right.
Speaker 20: But that didn't make it easy. You know, you're expected to win them all, and when you don't, it's it's tough. But that's because of the passion, and nobody puts more pressure on themselves than myself and my family. Nobody wants to win more than my kids and my wife, So it isn't so much that because they're more disappointed than anybody could possibly be in Buckeye Nation. And so we shared the same frustration because you know, my family and my kids want to win worse than even I do. I mean, I just that's the way they're wired and and they love the fans, and so you know, when you do lose, you know, there's there's a feeling of disappointment, and you know you share in the frustration with people because they love it so much. But that's that's also living, you know, you're relevant. I mean, that's that's what makes Ohio State so special is because people care so much. Now with that comes from some craziness, but that's okay.
Speaker 19: Uh.
Speaker 7: It also makes when you win that much more special.
Speaker 2: What was it like when you saw your family after you won the title?
Speaker 7: Yeah? That was man, that was a special moment.
Speaker 20: You know, something that you know, always remember, just the fact that you could look at your your family and your wife and the eyes and say, hey, we did this thing together, and they did.
Speaker 7: They were a big part of it.
Speaker 20: And we know where we were about a month and a half ago and where we are right now, and it was pure joy.
Speaker 3: Like you mentioned earlier, is Ryan Day, head coach of Ohio State National champs. Take me back to the third and eleven call. Who makes the call? And was what was the other option in that situation?
Speaker 20: Well, we were trying to run down the clock we had. There's a point in the game where we're up by multiple scores and you start doing the math on it, and you're like, man, if we can just run out a few minutes, you know, each time we have the ball and continue to get some first downs and we could just who can milk this thing and win. And when you're talking about being that close to a national championship, you know you're holding on real tight. Maybe hold on a little two tight. But on first and second down we were gonna run the ball. We thought about throwing it on second down because we saw a man the man coverage on the outside, and you know, wanted to keep the clock running. And then they called the time out and on the headset there's a lot of back and forth there.
Speaker 7: Our whole offensive staff, I thought, did a great job.
Speaker 20: Throughout the whole run chips obviously right there, and and we said, you know, we run one more time and chew up the clock, and some guys said, no, let's let's let's call a third down play. And so we looked at the call sheet and we saw a play that is one of our bass plays that we.
Speaker 7: Put in day one.
Speaker 20: We're literally it's a go ball on the outside of the outside receivers and a middle read by our h and a couple of checkdowns by the inside guys, and we say, if we're.
Speaker 7: Lucky enough to get one on one on the outside. And then when we were launching that thing up.
Speaker 20: Away from the free safety and we had worked hard on that route, in particular because we knew we were getting a certain technique in the game, and so when we saw it, you know, our eyes lit up, so the wills and certainly.
Speaker 7: Had to be executed. But it was like in slow motion.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, what's it like when that ball's in the air?
Speaker 7: Slow motion?
Speaker 20: Just like holding your breath, knowing that if we catch this thing, we're probably national champs. And there's an unbelievable picture. It's a still photo from the sideline from the other way. You can see our entire sideline as the balls in the air, and just the look of everybody's face on that sideline is amazing, just because everyone can see, like, we catch this ball, we're going to be national champs.
Speaker 7: It was quite a moment.
Speaker 3: How difficult is it to keep your roster together? There's a report that Jeremiah Smith offered four and a half million dollars. Like Ohio State doesn't usually lose players, but now in today's nil and transfer portal, everybody's fair game. So how do you go about having conversations or retaining some of your players?
Speaker 20: I think the first thing you have to bring in great people and great families, but you also have to value them and try to do everything you can to get what they deserve and what's fair. But there's also something to be said for being around a program like ours, and you know, you think if it's all equal, you know, we'll have a chance to to get our share of guys.
Speaker 7: But but it is different. There's no question.
Speaker 20: I think as coaches were all looking for a little bit more guidelines on this. I mean, everything is so gray right now, and.
Speaker 3: How does that work though, coach that let's say I wanted to talk to Jeremiah.
Speaker 2: Let's say I'm Georgia.
Speaker 3: I want to talk to him, Like, how does that go about that you get in front of somebody or you know, you put a price tag?
Speaker 2: And is there tampering in college football?
Speaker 20: I think one of the big issues that we have in across the board in college football right now is enforcement. I mean, you just you know, you know some of the stories of some of the things that have gone on just you know, within the last couple of years or even in the past, but enforcement is really strained right now. And so until we start enforcing some of these rules, like you said, I mean, people can just call someone's agents or someone's parents and offer them a certain amount of money and then it goes from there. And that's just part of it. I mean, there's so many other things that come in place. So that's one of the things to me that I think we've got to get addressed in college sports, in college football is enforcement because right now there's virtually none, and it's gotten worse as time has gone on.
Speaker 3: When's the last time but NFL team reached out to you.
Speaker 7: You know, they don't really reach out to me.
Speaker 20: They would reach out, I guess to my agent, and that happens sometimes. But you know, we have not really engaged because I love Ohio State and I want to be here as long as I can.
Speaker 2: So that's not a goal.
Speaker 20: No, that's not a goal. It's not a goal, and I wouldn't say that. I wouldn't consider that somewhere down the line. But my son is a sophomore in high school, my daughters are in middle school. They love it here, and you know, I want to be here, you know, through there, through there, you know, run through high school and then you know, see what the next phase brings. But but like I said, you know, once the confetti fell, that was it.
Speaker 2: It's on next year. I know, do you get a vacation?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll have We'll have some time.
Speaker 20: But but it's not like, you know, we're going away to Tahiti for a week.
Speaker 2: Were you on the phone to recruits after the national title?
Speaker 20: Recruits and you know, are our current players and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that night. I mean, that's a great thing. Saban would do that.
Speaker 3: He'd win a national title, get on the phone and say to a recruit, Hey, you could be celebrating with us, confetti probably in his hair.
Speaker 2: Did you do that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 20: But you know what, what's what's interesting is the timetables changed. So the early signing day. We had one hundred and forty five guys in our team this year, and over twenty of them were recruits that started classes on January sixth, so they were actually with the team for the last two games. So instead of the signing day, which should be happening next Wednesday, they had signed and were enrolled in classes.
Speaker 7: So like, the timetables changed a lot.
Speaker 20: But you know, we have obviously, you know, been recruiting the twenty sixth class, which is about other year away.
Speaker 3: Where would you put Jeremiah Smith with the other receivers you've coached.
Speaker 20: Well after the first year, it's hard to put him anywhere other than one. I think some of those guys had great freshman years, but not not like this.
Speaker 2: We need to check his birth certificate, Like how old is he, coach, come on.
Speaker 7: Nineteen years old?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 20: Yeah, but he's special and we knew he was special, and his maturity is beyond his years physically, mentally and emotionally.
Speaker 7: He's a special talent. As you know.
Speaker 3: Congrats, enjoy it while you can because we know what happens. So this season starts, then there's the Michigan game. Keep smiling, never ends?
Speaker 2: Does it? Thank you? Coach?
Speaker 4: Ever?
Speaker 7: Does?
Speaker 3: That's a Ryan Day, head coach of Ohio State won the national title. And you know what, I got a big kick out of it. They win, and he's trying to get his headset off and his belt off and he's running down the sidelines and he just throws it. I don't know where it goes, but that joy that was, that's relief. That's true relief. And you hadn't had that before. But imagine you sit down with your family. You're trying to explain, Hey, our life has just changed, and like you're not taking the job of you know, Kansas football. This is Ohio sting and your life will change for the better and maybe for the worst. And then you get death threats when you lose to Michigan, and then you got to talk to your family about that, just so they understand. I mean, Dan Campbell in Detroit got death threats. This is Detroit where you're going like, thank god I got Dan Campbell as my coach. We almost got there. You had no hope before. Damn they're all parade for.
Speaker 2: But that's you know, that's the.
Speaker 3: Sad reality of this. It is big time business. We like to make it amateur sports.
Speaker 2: It is business. That is business. Unfortunately, Yeah, point.
Speaker 11: And you said the phrase roster retention. You know, five years ago, they didn't have to do that that much. Once in a while, guy transferred, but you had to sit or there was no incentive to transfer. Financially, it's a whole different world.
Speaker 3: Well, you wouldn't think Ohio State have to worry about that, But here's a report by the website on three that Jeremiah Smith is getting a four and a half million dollar offer. I sure I'd do the same thing if I had the money. I got a sure thing, he's won a national title. You want to get four and a half million dollars. One of these schools, maybe an SEC school, is going to say, hey, come on down, come on down, we'll pay you