Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Overcover Podcast. I'm your host, Jennak Lopez. Thank you guys so much for choosing to watch this episode today. If you guys haven't watched last week's episode, make sure you guys go ahead and do that. But today I'm very excited because we're all about supporting small businesses, putting people on the platform and making their name known and more specifically because they have a story in Today's guest is mister Andresreras. Hello, he's nervous. He's nervous right now, but we're gonna ease our way in get him to feel comfortable. I'm a personal fan. I found him on TikTok. He's a self taught baker.
Speaker 2: You're nineteen years old, Yes, years old.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: You see I could never but.
Speaker 1: Has around three hundred, four hundred thousand followers. His videos go viral. But what I love is that you are self.
Speaker 2: Taught and you are so young, and.
Speaker 1: I would love to get to know your story and where you come from and your background because I feel like, yeah, there's always a reason and that always a purpose, yeah when you.
Speaker 2: Start something like that.
Speaker 1: But overall, he does baking. He makes beautiful cakes. He does all these amazing things, and personally, baking has is like my favorite thing to do. But we'll get more into the cooking and into all like the little nitty gritty things. But I want to know, give us a little spiel about who you are, where you come from, how much, how many siblings you have, all that stuff, how you grew up.
Speaker 3: So I grew up in a one bedroom trade of home with my sister and brother and my parents, So that taught us a lot. You know, we didn't really have that much. But growing up, I was always the shy kid. I was always to myself, very like just yeah, just to myself. I always grew up, like I said, shy. I never really talk to anyone. I grew up not really having that much friends. So yeah, my childhood was great, but I enjoyed literally everything. And right now I have five siblings. We are a family of eight with my grandma.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, under the same roof.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, okay, And so it's just are you guys still in the trailer right now?
Speaker 3: Oh no, we're not in the trailer no more. We bought our first ever home last year in March.
Speaker 4: That's gone.
Speaker 1: Where do you fall?
Speaker 4: In the siblings, Like, how I'm the third child.
Speaker 2: The third child, Okay, so there's two older ones.
Speaker 1: Yes, how's your relationship with them?
Speaker 4: Honestly great. We always we all get along.
Speaker 3: They're always so supportive of me and with everything I do, they're always there to support me.
Speaker 2: That's I know.
Speaker 1: He came with his whole family in the car, which I love. I love that they support you and that they've helped you back up, back you up on this dream because you're cooking and you film these videos in the home with everybody around you.
Speaker 3: Uh well, most of the time, I just do it all out throughout the night. I really don't let my family get close to any of the desert type dude, because I don't know, I just feel like when you're like doing your like working, Yeah, yeah, I personally need my space and I enjoy being alone doing it and also filming it because I can't imagine filming it with all my siblings in the background.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of crazy. Yeah, I have, course I have.
Speaker 1: We're a family of well yeah five, we're five of us in total, and it's not and it's it's crazy.
Speaker 2: It's like just shut.
Speaker 3: Off, like literally, that's how I am most of like when I try to record content, like just meet the TV really quick, like let me try to get some as and more content or stuff like that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so what started what how did this all begin for you?
Speaker 3: So, like the baking journey, I got the inspiration from my parents and my grandma.
Speaker 2: They were bakers too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they would bake cakes here and there, like when they didn't have probably enough money to go to the store to get like a cake, they he'd go like buy a box cake mix and do the cake there. So that really I was like, I want to do that too. And then one day I was scrolling on YouTube and I found this like TV show called Cake Boss.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if you're familiar.
Speaker 3: And then and on the time I grew up in there was really no guys who would bake girls. Yeah it's I was like, oh, like this is by cake Lady.
Speaker 4: But I don't know. That just really inspired me.
Speaker 3: I was like, if like he can do that, have his own business like named by him, I want to do that. And yeah, that just inspired me. It's always been a hobby of mine since I was a kid, and I continued it on. But I don't really tell anyone I baked, because usually this was and like you would see a guy doing, you know, right, So I just kept it all like to myself up until like my junior year of high school when I decided to start my business.
Speaker 2: Like promoting it. And so you were shy to do it.
Speaker 1: Were you scared because of high school people, what people would say, or just because like you didn't want to get bring it into.
Speaker 3: There, Like throughout my middle school, I like just didn't say nothing. I felt like after COVID, I like no one was around, so I was like like I'm gonna just do these I'm gonna do these cakes. And I really I really don't care like what anyone has to say, you know. So yeah, I just feel like right then and there, I was in independent studies, So my junior year of high school and that's when I started, I was like, you know what, if I want to do this, I'm gonna do it and not like care what like anyone has to say, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And is it to help your family as well, like help them out or is it more just for you?
Speaker 2: And like what is there like a motive like your passion for it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Honestly, yeah, this has definitely helped my family a lot, you know, like paying the bills or when they say, oh, like we don't have enough for the bills, hearing them like argue here and there. Yeah, it's something that like really inspired me to like keep up with it, you know, and social media wise, I started last year. Yeah, so that became another job of mine and getting that extra income just helps my family out. And I'm really like proud of myself for doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's because it's a lot of you guys. I saw you have little siblings, so it's like obviously they don't have they can't you know, help out, and obviously like it's just to be another helping hand for your family.
Speaker 2: And I'm I want to say that that's very.
Speaker 1: Admirable and very like you know, because you're not being selfish selfish about it. Yeah, you're doing it for your family and for you know, because of the way you grew up And in the trailer room.
Speaker 2: How was that?
Speaker 4: Honestly, it was really fun.
Speaker 3: I don't really have that much memory of it, but we literally all slept in one room and sometimes my dad would even grab a blanket and make a tent so that would like put like separate.
Speaker 4: Room, you know.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it was honestly, it was always fun. We would always play outside and everything. I don't regret like that.
Speaker 2: There were good memories.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it taught us a lot, Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Like what do you think it was like the most like the biggest lesson you've learned from that time of your life?
Speaker 4: Honestly?
Speaker 3: Probably just it keeps us humble to this day, like just coming from nothing and then just having like all these opportunities coming to me, something.
Speaker 4: That I won't forget, like where I came from, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and having that as your background and like like because it's because.
Speaker 2: Of your family.
Speaker 1: So now like going into like our baking little time, what was the first thing you ever made and what has been like your biggest order today?
Speaker 3: The first thing I ever made was probably I think it was fifth grade. It was like an animal cell project and we could do anything we wanted to do. So it was either you could like a poster, oh k yeah, like a like a dessert or anything like that. I remember my parents like we went to the store really quick and they did the cake and I was all decorating it, you know. So that's that was one of the first cakes I remember doing, and then I would do like shit cakes here and there for like family parties about diesels events, and then I continued it on there. My biggest order has probably been the Continuera one that I recently did.
Speaker 4: It was like a three tier cake, yeah, and then it was like a whole dessert table, but I didn't do the desserts.
Speaker 3: But that was probably one of the most stressful but most biggest orders I've gone in.
Speaker 1: Does your mom and grandma help you or it's just you? Because you said that, like you have gotten inspiration from them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, baking wise, they don't help me like in the kitchen, you know, like, but I like learned from them. But honestly, I've been self tall most of my most of the whole time that I've well since I grew up, you know, I've in itself tall the whole time. And yeah, like you, when I go to these events like the continuedas, my mom doesn't like being in the videos, so I like try to like cut her out, you know, but she's always the one who helps me set up like the flower arrangements like on the cake, so all that stuff you see, like toppers, any flower placements. You know, that's my mom right there. That yeah, but she doesn't like being in the videos.
Speaker 1: Because I could tell that you're a little shy and I used to be like that too, Like it's like, you know, you're it's also like a sign of protection, like protecting a little bubble and like making sure you know, no harm or whatever. But what inspired, like what puts you to start promoting it on social media? Because obviously as a shy person, you're like damn, like yea, you know, it's like a little it's a little weird. I I personally have felt a little weird when I've posted things before and like is this gonna do good?
Speaker 2: Or is this gonna you know, perform one?
Speaker 1: All right, you guys, we're gonna go on a quick break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, you guys.
Speaker 1: What pushed you to start doing it on social media?
Speaker 3: So because before I would do just I would just promote like my work, you know, And one day I was I would always edit my videos in school, you know, I was always like alone most of the time. So one day I had recorded this like cake I did. It was like twelve am. I didn't sleep that I didn't sleep that whole night and by the time I finished, it was six am.
Speaker 4: Then I had to head to school. This was my senior year of high school.
Speaker 2: And this was like a paid order.
Speaker 4: Yeah, paid order.
Speaker 3: And this was during the week, the week days, so this is I remember telling me, don't take orders on the week days because you're gonna Yeah, and then I don't know, I took it per fun you know, and I wasn't doing nothing. And then I went to school and yeah, I edited the video my fourth fifth period when I would when that's the periods we don't really do nothing.
Speaker 4: So I edit it.
Speaker 3: By the time, like literally thirty minutes, got like millions of views. By the time I go home. I don't even remember how much I had, maybe like two to three million.
Speaker 1: Wow views.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but that's and you didn't expect it.
Speaker 4: I didn't expect it. But seeing all that engagement, you know.
Speaker 2: Like obviously the motive, it motivates.
Speaker 4: Me, like to this day it does.
Speaker 1: And Okay, so now we're here, we have what three hundred thousand, almost four hundred thousand followers. Now that you're here in this position, you have an ongoing.
Speaker 2: Business, You get orders like this is is this.
Speaker 1: Something that you're committed to doing now, like as a career for the rest of your life, or is there something else that you want to do.
Speaker 3: If I'm being honest, like I got stuck into the business, Yeah I did. And it's like I said, it's always been a hobby of mine. But doing like doing that hobby every single day, it like gets tiring, you know. So I got stuck with it with the like it was a hobby like this day, and right when I started my Instagram with the continuous amount of orders, it became a job of mine. And I still see it as a hobby, you know.
Speaker 1: But yeah, like to be honest, you've lost a little bit of passion and maybe just.
Speaker 3: A little bit a little bit, Yeah, I've lost it, and but I with the videos that I record it honestly, I prefer doing social media better than the business.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it gets tiring at times, but at the end of the day, this is what this is who I am, and this is what like the career God God gave me. And I'm continue it and maybe one day if I like lose the passion for it, I'll try to do something else is not gonna be something I want to do forever.
Speaker 1: But okay, what is something that you would want to do? Then, says you just you don't know. I'm just kind of tired of this. What is something maybe in the back of your head you're like, I would like to try this out or do this.
Speaker 3: I don't like I'd like to open a shop with my sister because she does like milkshakes, FRAPs.
Speaker 4: You know. Okay, yeah, like a bakery.
Speaker 3: Technically, yeah, like a cafe bakery, you know, but like not like take like custom orders there. I'd like to just have my desserts on like sat men. Yeah, like menu and everything. And yeah, maybe because with the custom orders it's difficult, you know, like it's like how they want it. You have to like perfect it like how they want it, and it's it's hard, you know. I don't see myself doing like in the future, but maybe like pastries, I want to move towards the pastries now and yeah, maybe one day open the shop with my sister.
Speaker 1: Have you seen people because I've seen a little bit of comments here and there, but have you seen people be inspired to be self taught and bake because of you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've gotten a lot of messages ever since I started, because I've seen a lot of guys even DM either were like oh, like you're like baking, but my parents don't let me because like I'm a guy, you know, and it's something like you don't see especially in a in the Hispanic culture, you know. So it's like I get comments here and there like oh, like don't like wire in the kitchen, go like work somewhere else, you know, and those don't get to me, you know, because at the end of the day, this is what this is my job, you know. And yeah, but just seeing those guys and girls as well, or like older people who say like and tell me like, oh, you've inspired me to start my baking business. I started my baking business because of you. So that really, I don't know. I just feel proud of myself right there because because I didn't think no, like I just did this for fun, you know, I was not really thinking anything of it when I recorded myself and I posted myself on social media. But just being a inspiration to others is something I'm really proud of.
Speaker 1: And yeah, yeah, because it's like you think like me, like why wow, like actually have the capability and the platform table to be able to inspire other people, and that's something that a lot of people. I think what I love the most about your story is that this was generally out of a hobby and a passion, and it comes with so much love. And then these are the gifts, These are the rewards of why you're doing this. You know, you get you're inspiring other people, You're making I mean, I mean, food is food, but you get to make people happy and like, you know, and do things that also make you happy. And I think if there's anything I can tell you, obviously passion and burnout is gonna happen, you know, and that's normal. But I think it's obviously recentering yourself and remembering why you started it, who you're doing it for, And that's totally okay to take a break sometimes, you know, because it's a lot like it's not. It's very time consuming, it's insanely like, you know, you gotta wait till the cake freezes, you gotta wait till the bakes, you gotta make it exactly.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, is that just yourself?
Speaker 4: Or you ask people to help you to No, I asked my mom or my grandma.
Speaker 3: I like pay them, you know, like there was a time where I didn't sleep like for two days because of like the Kintina order, and yeah, I was like, you know, like there's no way I'm going to.
Speaker 4: Wash these dishes.
Speaker 3: I threw like I threw some in the dishwasher, but like the rest it was like all piled up, like it was like the whole calendar toop right there. And I was like Mom, like I'm I'm gonna leave the money here or my grandma and just like something, yeah, yeah, it's it's way too much.
Speaker 1: So now that you've done it, and I love that again that it is a whole little family project and that they support you and back you up and are with you because a lot of people don't have that, you know, like this is this is a passion because again you are a guy, and sadly it is looked frown upon and it's not okay according to.
Speaker 2: Some cultures or whatever.
Speaker 1: But I love that your dad, your mom support you and have your back. What is like your one piece of advice for someone your age or someone that's looking to get into this business or maybe in the simplest way of the way that you grew up as well, like what is lessons or advice that you can give to people who are inspired by your videos?
Speaker 4: Honestly, I really don't know, but.
Speaker 3: Probably just like if you see this and if something that you actually want to do, go for it because you never know like what like life has for you, you know, like this literally like last year, like I didn't think anything of this, and just following this dream I had and I knew, I knew it was going to be something, you know, like one day like I'm gonna put in that effort, but yeah, I never really imagined like getting like opportunities like these, So honestly, like just believe in yourself and hope for the best. And if you see this, actually, if you see this as something you actually want to do, like go for it, regardless of what people have to say.
Speaker 4: And yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: And we were just talking about your shirt when you walked in. But God, do you believe in God? Is that like your your what you guys believe in your family and stuff?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's beautiful.
Speaker 1: I think that having some type of foundation or believing in a higher power is like, yeah, it also helps with.
Speaker 4: Your And I think the back of my shirt says something too. I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Let me see dal is.
Speaker 1: Dal kills more dreams than failure ever, will that is?
Speaker 2: That's fires? There you go.
Speaker 1: It's like a testament of what you're believing in and who you are right now?
Speaker 2: All right, speed round questions?
Speaker 1: Okay, who would you like to make a desert for one day?
Speaker 2: Your goal?
Speaker 4: There's so many.
Speaker 2: Ooh, that'd be fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Cali Cally If anybody, anybody who knows Cally passed the word around least.
Speaker 4: Favorite thing to bake collie cake pops? Why?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Like when you roll them like sometimes they crack and it's the worst thing ever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't like doing cake pops.
Speaker 1: Okay, menu, Okay, let's take them all, just kidding.
Speaker 2: What's your most favorite thing to do?
Speaker 4: Let's just cakes.
Speaker 2: If you weren't.
Speaker 1: Baking, obviously you graduated from high school. Right, let's say baking never existed in your family and whatever, what would you be.
Speaker 2: Doing right now?
Speaker 4: Photography? Okay?
Speaker 1: Is that something that you always had a passion for?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like you around middle school is when my parents bought me my first camera. Uh huh, Like I had the passion for you? I was, I hadn't done my Instagram too, And I've always loved photography. I've always loved the camera, but I never knew what to do with it. So yeah, I would say I would probably be doing videography, photography and all that.
Speaker 2: Suff that'd be cool.
Speaker 1: That's awesome and over and I want to I want to thank you because you do come from.
Speaker 4: Where's it from? Kerman? Yeah, Kerman?
Speaker 2: Where exactly is that?
Speaker 4: It's like fifteen minutes twenty minutes from President?
Speaker 2: Okay, well, thank you.
Speaker 1: I really appreciate you making out the drive.
Speaker 2: He also made me a cake. I put two cake orders.
Speaker 1: When I reached out to him, I'm like, look, i've been a fan. I think I've been following you or i've been looking at your page for a while now, and i've seen you like in my lives and my comments too, and a lot of my friends are like, look at him, he's so cute, like he makes the cakes or whatever. And I'm like, I know, I know, but he made me cakes. I'm gonna bring one of them out so I want to show you, guys. But one one last big question your Obviously this is a small businesses right, and it can and it's going to get bigger. Obviously faithfully and yes, no it is.
Speaker 4: It is.
Speaker 2: We're gonna believe it.
Speaker 1: Small business and obviously it's hard. What is your advice for small business owners.
Speaker 3: As a small business owner, I've learned a lot, you know. I mean my first two years in the business, I was making no profit, but I thought I was making profit. I went through lots of trial and error my first two years, and then the being of this year, I was about to quit.
Speaker 4: Really yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Just didn't see the profit, you know. But then I took a week and then I was like, let me just pick up my prices, you know, like just a little bit, like I'm not going to over exaggerate it. And yeah, like within that week, I saw the change, and I was like, maybe I can do this as a career, you know, because the first years I seen them more like as a hobby, you know, and I wasn't but I wasn't making nothing like no profit or nothing too. It wasn't really a business then. But you learn, you grow, and as a business owner, you have to you have to not be scared like to change, you know, like you have to you want to see the you want to see the change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you have to make sacrifices. I think that's the most important thing as well, because owning a small business means time, money, and effort.
Speaker 2: And how big is the dream going?
Speaker 1: How big is it for you, you know, to keep feeding it and to keep pursuing it and doing it.
Speaker 2: And I think.
Speaker 1: It's very very big of you, obviously at your age. And I wish you all the luck and success.
Speaker 2: And I'm here.
Speaker 1: I love supporting small businesses obviously, which is why I put place my order. And if you lived in LA it would be a thousand times more. But now I wanted to say thank you, and I want to wish you all the luck and all the success in your business and in your family as well, because I know you know this is for them, and this is also for your dream as well and what you aspire. And I know that you're not only inspiring the internet, but I know that you could be inspiring.
Speaker 4: Them, yes, definitely.
Speaker 1: And helping them and leading them and you know, being that support and that system for them the same way that they are for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, I will be right back you guys.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go get that cake so I can show you, guys, welcome back.
Speaker 2: You guys.
Speaker 1: Honestly, this technique is very specific, like I've seen it that they have to be the right temperature, the hand movids and everything, so this is an art and then honestly very professional with the food allergy notice, thank you, Thank God, I'm not allergic to anything, and baked with love. He made cookies as well for the podcast. It has the logo on there, which.
Speaker 2: I love, super cute. Which one should I try first?
Speaker 4: You can try the cookies first if you.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I'm gonna give you my honest review right now. Yes, I'm gonna tell you the truth right now. Let me see, let me put my phone right here. Yeah, okay, okay, he also made cookies. We're gonna try it right here, right now. We're filming right now, you guys are on the podcast.
Speaker 2: This is a live action.
Speaker 1: I'm totally messing up this box and I'm so sorry, but I'm too excited.
Speaker 2: Okay. Is this your own recipe?
Speaker 4: Yes? And that's an edible image so you can eat it.
Speaker 1: Look how cute it is? Okay, honest review, all right, Okay.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 4: Sorry, brown butter chocolate chip.
Speaker 2: Brown butter chocolate chip. Okay, I like brown butter. You got me brown butter.
Speaker 1: You know who's gonna like these?
Speaker 2: My sister teekys mm hmm bomb. What kind of chocolate chip did you use?
Speaker 4: Uh? Gre delly, but like Sami sweet. Yes, I'm a.
Speaker 2: Chocolate girl, That's why I asked. It was really good. I've never had an edible picture before. What was it supposed to taste like?
Speaker 4: It's a it's like a nice and cheet I really don't know.
Speaker 2: Mmmm, that's delicious. All right.
Speaker 4: Now this is chocolate cake flavor.
Speaker 2: Sorry, no, no, no, you're fine. Okay, we're gonna try the chocolate cake. Here we go, all right, here we go.
Speaker 1: I don't want to mess it up, but I'm gonna have to. And all my friends are probably gonna come over and have some as well, because they're huge andress delight fans and contreras. Okay, I'm gonna do in the back ready. What kind of frosting are we talking about?
Speaker 4: American buty cream?
Speaker 1: Wow, he's fancy with the words.
Speaker 2: I don't even know have it?
Speaker 1: Okay, So all of this is your own recipe, yes, like you figured out, like the chocolate and everything.
Speaker 2: This isn't boxed.
Speaker 3: No, no box I've learned, Like the whole time I've researched, everything I've.
Speaker 4: Remains self taught. Is what I want to do.
Speaker 1: Really, but before obviously when you.
Speaker 3: Started before, yeah I would do the I feel like that's how everyone starts. But yes, I've learned throughout the whole way, I've learned. I've created my own buttercream recipe, cake recipe, feelings and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: And there's this look, I'm not a frosting girl, I promise you, like I don't. I hate like frosting like this, but this is something that I can enjoy. It's not me giving my revew no, but I'm being for real, Like it's not too heavy. You know, when you have cakes and pastels at Pastila Is, at at the King Says, or at parties or whatever, you eat just the cake part and not the.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's mostly whip cream.
Speaker 1: Yeah no no no, like the fonet no no no no, But this one, like it's really good.
Speaker 2: It's really rich and honestly ten ten If you guys.
Speaker 1: Huge fan here loved it.
Speaker 2: If you guys want to.
Speaker 1: Place a cake order, how can they contact you?
Speaker 3: So if you'd like to place an order, you can just reach out to me through Instagram, DM or Facebook's.
Speaker 2: I was saying, is it dress and Spanish?
Speaker 4: It is? It's okay, I'm sorry, No, no, it's good. Everyone calls me and so I'm used to it.
Speaker 1: At this point, it was a ten out of ten. Again, thank you, thank you so much. It is beautiful. Your story is amazing and I wish you nothing but the best of luck and support. And I'm a huge fan here and I will be placing multiple cake orders for no reason if I have no birthday. I'm no, I'm just kidding, but yes, thank you, thank you so much. Make sure you guys follow him. Please support his small business. If you guys live in or near Herman, California, please please please support Andre's business. And this is obviously a small business that helps support his family and his dreams. So make sure you guys please support him. Thank you guys for watching and listening to this episode, like comment, subscribe, and I will see you guys next Tuesday. Bye. Overcome for podcast is a production of IHEARTMC podcast Network.