Speaker 1: Every day of clicks up the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Y'all done morning, everybody's d J n V jess hilarious, Charlamagne the God we are the Breakfast Club. Law La Ross is here with us as well, and we got a special guest in the buildings.
Speaker 1: You know, he's an icon. I think legend is even an understatement. Okay, I can only think of three one word queens, yes, then another word icons.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: But there you have it. We have Stephanie Mills shot the welcome, Come, welcome.
Speaker 4: How are y'all feeling?
Speaker 2: Y'all look amazing?
Speaker 3: Thank you, We're happy to be here. We are, We're happy to be here. Good morning.
Speaker 1: Now y'all are on the Queen Store. Why couldn't this happened decades ago? Like decades ago? Why couldn't people put this together?
Speaker 2: Weren't No.
Speaker 3: I just think it was at the right time. I think this is definitely the right time. And Patty and I have worked together, and I've always wanted to work with Shaka, so they came together and put it together, and I was like, yes, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Is there enough time for a show to happen? I have so many hits, so many records. How long is the show? How long is this a concert?
Speaker 3: It's about two hours long.
Speaker 5: It's not long.
Speaker 3: We have quick, quick moments. We have like fifty minutes apiece, and you can hardly say hello and good night with that. But that's what we do. Man.
Speaker 4: Man, How do y'all decide who closes?
Speaker 3: Do?
Speaker 1: I feel like that might have been a little debate on who Shaka closes?
Speaker 3: Okay, Gladys opens, I come on second, and then Ms. Patty I like to open the show, but I didn't get that position.
Speaker 6: Actually, right, Oh that's why you like to open the show?
Speaker 3: Okay, honey, Yeah, some cookies.
Speaker 4: Cookies.
Speaker 1: At this stage in your careers, is it harder or easier to navigate?
Speaker 4: I guess ego would be the right word. Are are the egos?
Speaker 3: I haven't seen any?
Speaker 5: Not?
Speaker 6: No God, not Ego is the only ego the onnest one And.
Speaker 7: You said you guys weren't old enough to do this. That's okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I mean because when you mentioned God is the only ego, I didn't know if it was like you were saying that you had to get to a point where that's something that you realized in the industry because you deal with so many egos navigating.
Speaker 6: I still am. It never stopped. Mm hm, life never stop.
Speaker 2: Is there any friendly competition because no, not at.
Speaker 3: All, not at all, just doing Yeah, we have fun watching each other doing each other. We got to keep on giving all rights.
Speaker 6: We are different people. We do we do individually.
Speaker 4: Yes, So how does this talk come together?
Speaker 1: Because I know it's it's hard to get any of y'all to want to do something.
Speaker 4: It's you know, because y'all got great lives, our schedules, tour as a collective. Like well, the whole.
Speaker 6: Thing with me was that I felt that this is going to be a one off ever in life like some of us, some of us, you know, we weren't going to get the chance to be able to be seen together on one stage, one night, for all of us collected. So and when I realized the importance of that for people who grew up listening to our song baby to a weaned owners, a coronal, I think it made a big difference. And it was, you know, that's that was that was to compel me.
Speaker 2: You know, we have a surprise about the the ages of people that come to the show because it varies from young teams.
Speaker 6: I expected that I did because I get it off the jet. You know, kids saying I was weaned on you.
Speaker 3: You know something they made children on our music. People have babies on our music.
Speaker 2: When you have those young individuals in the show, let's say they are twenty one, twenty two, and they trying to holler at y'all this, dad s like, I still got it.
Speaker 5: No, I don't get nobody.
Speaker 4: Why are you?
Speaker 7: You're talking about you?
Speaker 2: Why to look so beautiful that I.
Speaker 4: Ain't got I'm just asking a question. Can't young boys hollering at them?
Speaker 2: Like damn no, young boy?
Speaker 5: Tell them I want to mature and older with.
Speaker 1: The problem with them is they want the young girls why. I don't know, especially when y'all look like this what you want to? Twenty year olds don't know how to wait because we.
Speaker 5: Want to show them that this is how you age graceful, that's right, and you could still do your thing.
Speaker 3: We're all beautiful.
Speaker 1: Do you have a routine to like keep your voice wrong and your body ready?
Speaker 6: Sleep?
Speaker 5: I sing? I sing every day and still about six days a week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I don't sing. She don't sing every day, but she keeps it together. I'll be hitting those notes. Thanks, thank you, honey. I do what I do and that eighty one. I'm still queen.
Speaker 2: She's the queen, the Queen, my queen.
Speaker 3: Yes, my babies, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Still Patty, pull up. I promise I was gonna come on Thanksgiving. My kids are a little older now, so that they're a lot. They'll sit in the corner when you tell them to sit in the corner now, So I'm gonna pull up one Thanksgiving.
Speaker 3: Yeah you should.
Speaker 5: We would be.
Speaker 6: A big places of food, good food, baby cooking.
Speaker 7: Are you're cooking for them? Some of the stops?
Speaker 6: You know, I'm not letting the cook for because why because after the after she's being good, because I'm trying to be good.
Speaker 3: No, I better not. Then I better not be throwing down.
Speaker 1: Do y'all feel like towards like this remind people with a real show is supposed to be?
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, because we have real band, nothings taped, our microphones are on.
Speaker 5: Yes, we are actually singing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And do you think fans have the same appreciation for live instrumentation and raw vocals as they did like when y'all first hit the stage.
Speaker 6: I think some of them may not even know the difference. Someone may not even know what the hell is going on, you know, and that's what's unfair and messed up abot it is that when you go up there, you should represent yourself honestly. You know, you singing the mic, you know, if you have to have tricks and gags and googles and stuff like that, you know, dude, you got to do. But I'm saying I'm not about it. I've got I've walked on, We walked on the stage. Man's horse can hit all the notes. That's just the way life is. You know what, you give everything, everything you got and that is something that people can definitely they know they can feel that.
Speaker 2: What do you think make this this to so important? Right? Because seeing so many icons and queens and legends on that stage, you don't get to see that so much. But the fact that we see it with you guys, what makes it so important? Why did you all guys agree.
Speaker 3: That we as black women represent ourselves the right way? Like Steph said, there's no pretending singing, no no stuff, because people have a lot of stuff in their shows. We just go out the tricks. There's nobody flying through the air, none of that. You know, not that that's not good, but I mean we.
Speaker 5: Just give shows like we did back in the day, just pure blackfoot stand there and sing.
Speaker 6: I mean we come from like actually similar but almost the same generational Our generation levels are like like that's theirs and it's club you know, if they're close enough yet far enough apart to reach a really big audience. You know what I'm saying, a huge audience and it's just been the by the grace of God, they're just going together in such a is it a good way?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: You know, I want to ask, you know, Miss Billabelle and Ms con y'all been labeled divas. I don't know, I've never heard that term for you, Miss y'all look at that as a complimentary term or derogatory.
Speaker 3: I'll take anything, but I'm not a diva, you know, because is are the ones who demand. As far as I'm concerned, I'm not that girl, and neither Shock and Baby Girl never would be. We just sing, we give it. I mean, I'm an artist, really, and.
Speaker 4: I mean for the status y'all are y'all shouldn't have to demand anything?
Speaker 6: We don't.
Speaker 3: If we don't have to, we don't have to we don't and we don't.
Speaker 8: What is it like when the cameras lights are down backstage with y'all are just touring?
Speaker 7: What a y'all learning from each other? On this tour?
Speaker 3: We don't get a chance to see each other. We were right on, right behind each sleep.
Speaker 8: Because in here hang out, you know, we don't have we don't on on and off.
Speaker 6: But coming in, I'm coming in, she's coming off. I'm going I'm coming in like those dogs that the dogs that watching the sheet anyway different than the time card.
Speaker 3: It's like that we're going to really get a chance. That's not it.
Speaker 6: We're working working. We'll talk after that.
Speaker 3: And some days not on tour.
Speaker 2: I always want to know, like outside of music and touring, what brings you joy?
Speaker 4: Outside of that.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Patty is cooking, but what gives you joy? Like what makes you happy?
Speaker 6: Out my grand baby, my great grand babies, you know, my family, Stephanie, my.
Speaker 3: Son, my son gives me joy and just being with Pops and being with people that I love. Yeah, your son gives me joy watching them.
Speaker 5: Show.
Speaker 3: He's so cute.
Speaker 5: He has let a jacket on.
Speaker 1: He's so When y'all first started, did any of y'all think y'all would have these long careers that y'all would have had and still be on tours, still be in demand.
Speaker 3: I never did. I never did because I was always told you know, dark girls, don't you know. After a while they were like, oh, people are not going to promote dark girls.
Speaker 5: So I was always told, no, you.
Speaker 3: Can't do it.
Speaker 5: You do it.
Speaker 3: That right, yes, you know. So I'm surprised because people didn't think I was going to still be here. And it's the fiftieth year anniversary of the Whizz Fifty years.
Speaker 4: Ago I did the whist say think for you, miss Leabell. You didn't think he was gonna be here?
Speaker 3: No, I didn't because I had an issue also with might being a black woman with a big nose. And a friend of mine got her nose done and I said, oh, I think I need to try that. Maybe I'll get one gigs. I tried. I did have any you can say it you came to my It was me. I had a nose, I had my nose down in the early eighties and I had went to her house for dinner.
Speaker 6: What did you do?
Speaker 5: And she was like, I forget one?
Speaker 3: And I did, right after Stephanie.
Speaker 4: I didn't know you guys know, neither one of y'all I got.
Speaker 3: I had to, she did, and she had to Natalie. All of them do it, you know, all them do it.
Speaker 6: But you could not cut me for Nathan.
Speaker 5: But now I think that looks like to be sister.
Speaker 4: So you never had nothing done either. They said you got a b b L.
Speaker 6: What's that?
Speaker 4: It is a Brazilian button what the young girls are doing, It's called a Brazilian.
Speaker 6: Button butt like this my whole life in the sixties seventy seven, nor I have the same behind. I've always had. Somebody's trying to make them. But look like somebody else is within bb L.
Speaker 2: Looks like somebody's got it natural that's shot.
Speaker 4: So hold on, mister. But when you got to those jobs, did you get more gigs? Did it change anything?
Speaker 3: I think it did because it was more pleasant to some people. The same with me. But when I saw my girlfriend, I said, I'm going to try that.
Speaker 5: And if I remember that too.
Speaker 3: Oh so well. And I don't want to tell people that you were my inspiration because you wanted to about that I did well, I'm talking now, yes, okay, So here this is my girl. I followed her, Yes, I did.
Speaker 4: So who did you did you do?
Speaker 3: Who do you follow Michael?
Speaker 4: Michael? Okay, Michael, so after you got it, that's what you wanted to do it?
Speaker 5: Yes, I went to the same doctor.
Speaker 3: Wow, Michael took me to the like that.
Speaker 2: You didn't know that.
Speaker 3: I didn't know me speak louder, Oh speak louder Michael, Michael Jackson.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's who I followed.
Speaker 4: Miss.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's such an interesting conversation because you know all of these everybody's doing it now right, thinking that it's going to get them ahead in some way, shape or form.
Speaker 4: Is something that's been going on.
Speaker 5: Yes, it has.
Speaker 3: That's the only They're going to have done nothing that people shouldn't be ashamed of if they want to do anything to their body of their face. This is all I've ever done. I ain't getting cut in nowhere. No, that's all.
Speaker 5: And that was early it was early eighties.
Speaker 2: Because people get nervous that they say it's addictive, like once you get one, then you have something else something.
Speaker 3: I think Michael got a little addictive, you know, but I didn't. I didn't go back.
Speaker 2: He had those problems, so you didn't have any problem, like like what he didn't? Okay, Maybe it's.
Speaker 1: Just amazing how the industry standards of beauty have seemed like they've never changed.
Speaker 3: A love that that's amazing.
Speaker 1: It just seems like the industry standards of beauty have never changed, and it's just kind of heartbreaking to see that even back then, all were falling victim to what they thought.
Speaker 3: Well, they wanted you to look a certain way. I've always been told I should sing pop songs, But what is pop songs? But popular?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: And I love my audience, So I just stay true to who I was and stay focused on what I wanted to do.
Speaker 5: Patty and.
Speaker 3: Gladys you know who has more hits than both all has a billion hits?
Speaker 8: Girl, Miss Patty Belt? Was it when you decided that you want to get you those job? I know you said you didn't like you know its personally, but were things being said to you as well?
Speaker 3: Yes, by who and what? By a manager that I haven't.
Speaker 2: It's hilarious, that's all that I love it.
Speaker 4: It's all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a manager that I had back in the day, a white gentleman, and he's he said so many things to me. But whenever I was sang, he said, I said, is it all right if I keep this note? You know, things like that, and he was just mean and I'm I slapped the outah, So yeah, you know, so I just said I'll do it once I saw her. Yeah, you'd be surprised what female artists, what we have to go through to even do what we do today, to to have people respect us, to respect our talent, to respect that we're women and we're black women.
Speaker 5: And it's harder, but you have to demand the respect.
Speaker 4: Ms khn. You never faced any of those struggles. You never faced any of those same struggles.
Speaker 6: I don't know if they did. They never told me, they said none to me. No, but I know, I'm aware of the stigma you know that black woman go through. I am aware of the whole situation. But no, I you.
Speaker 4: Know you always had a reputation and not taking those ship from what I've.
Speaker 6: Been told, exactly, no time. You know, life is short, it's no time, So honesty, integrity, all those things are very important to me, you know.
Speaker 1: So did you always have that confidence or that's something that just.
Speaker 6: I knew what I wanted to be sort of when I when I was a kid. I mean I left. I went away here at sixty. I didn't finish high school. I pretty much knew what I wanted to do. And my dad said, but you don't want to go to college. I said, no, I don't need to. He said, well, you can read, right, I said, you know I can read, dad. We used to read the same books, my dad, and so he said, well, that's cool. He said, you could just read what you want and be that. I said, yeah, if I want. But I didn't know I wanted to be an entertainer or a singer. I didn't wanted to be in to work with people. I really wanted to. I don't want to be a lot of things. But I really wanted to be hands on. So I get to do that too, and to sing.
Speaker 8: What was it that drew you to the arts? Once you freak like it's people, but then you started to sing. What got you into singing?
Speaker 6: Well, my mother and father. I grew up in a house of music. My mother and father were both sang and they were both artists as well. We had frescoes and murals all over the world. We didn't know that we were living. We didn't have any money, I mean our apartment we had Fresca's, don't the walls and chumps in the dining room and and all sorts of every room had a different scheming. It was really nice to grow up like that. But I just and I grew up with and you know, if you grew up around the university, then you get to meet a lot of other people that you would ordinarily meet from other countries and bits like that, so that I think that was also something that.
Speaker 3: Was helpful in that decisions in life.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, you know, the only thing I liked about you, ms Conn is you know you've always been open about like your your struggles and your triumphs. Do you feel like being transparent has helped fans connect deeper with you? Or do you think sometimes people weaponize your honesty.
Speaker 6: About both ways?
Speaker 3: Both things.
Speaker 4: Black can handle it, he says, not about you, not for me, So what is it? What is it about?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know what it's about. I don't know.
Speaker 6: You know, like you said, weapon and weaponization, and sometimes people get it, you know, so you're thankful for the ones that get it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: That's about all you can really do. Thank you very much, Thank you well, so let's can you do. We're trying to co habitate here, you know, that's the most important thing that we can cohabitate.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. Do you embrace the title the Queen of Funk? Do you feel like that?
Speaker 6: I think I think I think it's kind of short because I think I'm the queen of a lot of the music. I mean, you know, that's just like cutting real short for me. I sing everything everything. I mean, I could sing in Japanese Chinese music if you give me, just give me the right way to pronounce it. I've singing that too. I have no problem, you know, that's the only thing. I just think it's cutting me kind of short. And I'm not being digeated about or anything like that. It's a fact I can do music definitely. I mean, I says, what about.
Speaker 4: You, Missing By They call you the god mother the soul. Does that crown come with pressure? Do you feel this well earned? Flowers?
Speaker 3: Well earned? That's nice flowers, you know, But no, I mean I take whatever they give me, whatever, you know, and I'm blessed that people are even thinking about giving me some kind of time or whatever. And then yeah, I'm blessed, and I know it.
Speaker 4: Miss Mills. We saw you earlier this year.
Speaker 1: You called out the Essence Festival, and I thought it was constructive criticism, you know.
Speaker 4: It wasn't like you were just bashing and why did you feel they.
Speaker 3: Need I'm so happy people, because I was there the whole weekend and I saw all the acts and it was just very poorly run and it didn't it didn't show respect to the artists, you know. And I remember Essence from Susan Taylor and mister Lewis and it was always prestigious and.
Speaker 5: Ran with respect, and that just was not there.
Speaker 3: So I could not sit and let them accuse, you know, people for being late when it was them that was late and running it.
Speaker 5: I just it bothered me.
Speaker 3: And at sixty eight, I really don't care what people think about me. I'm gonna say and do what I want to do. I feel like I earned that right, absolutely, So I wanted to call them out, but I did it respectfully, you did. I didn't want to be ghetto about it. I wanted to be constructive and that's what I did.
Speaker 2: Well, they said they were going to fix it. They said they were getting down to the bottom of the things that went wrong, and they were going to make sure that I'm glad. I'm glad they took full of accountabilities.
Speaker 3: Was there. Yeah, that's awful.
Speaker 5: It was awful.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So when I saw what you did, I said, go girl, don't stop.
Speaker 5: Yeap, she tells me keep on talking, don't stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you have a lot to say.
Speaker 4: So what did you do, Missle? You got it them privately? Or did I did you say anything to them privately?
Speaker 3: Or no? No? And I have one song with right. I couldn't chit chat too much about anything because I didn't have a set of my own, you know, so I know somebody would take care of it.
Speaker 5: I felt like I spoke for everybody. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I feel like because I'm not afraid. I don't have any fear. I only fear God. So I'm not afraid when people say, oh, if you do this, you're going to be blacklisted.
Speaker 5: I'm black already.
Speaker 3: So you know what I'm saying, don't I don't really care. You put all my glasses and see if I give it.
Speaker 6: Damn about it?
Speaker 2: And you were DD a whole weekend.
Speaker 5: So you see a bunch of artists, I've seen a bunch of artists. I saw what they did.
Speaker 3: I saw how late they were putting the shows together, and I had an incidents with the owner's daughter and I didn't talk about that, but it was just not respectful.
Speaker 2: I was gonna ask, what artists are you loving right now that you've seen, since you watched a lot of the shows the artists right now that this came out to you, like, I really like that person. That person is doing an amazing job.
Speaker 3: I love Jasmine Sullivan, I love Selina, I love uh Leah Leah uh.
Speaker 5: What's her name? Oh, she says, that's not Leah.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 3: I can't think of her name, but I see her face. I love Leilah Hathaway. You know, I love I love a lot of the singers, but I see I listen to a lot of the old When I'm singing to get ready for my shows. I'm doing Ashford and Simpson, and I do them because they sing the melody, but they still go around it, so they stay in the pocket.
Speaker 5: And that's what I That's what I try to do.
Speaker 3: And then I listen to my songs so I could sound somewhat like I sounded.
Speaker 5: Back in the day.
Speaker 2: What about you, shak Is the artist right now that you like an R and B artist.
Speaker 6: That, Yeah, I like a lot of them, not every really like her.
Speaker 2: Her, She's special.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're gonna do some stuff together. Really, He's the closest thing to Prince.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Patti Labell, Who do you feel, honey?
Speaker 6: Young people?
Speaker 3: So many, so many? Yeah, I mean I do love Coco. Oh yeah, singing, honey, you know like so many is? I mean, she sings her face off. There are so many young girls who are singing. I might not remember names, but I know I like certain music.
Speaker 2: Now, some of these art has reached out to do besides her, reached out to do records and would y'all consider doing it? Moll, You're like, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, there's some thoughts, you know, me and Cardi B.
Speaker 2: Possibly you and Cardi B that I love that. Are you thinking about it?
Speaker 4: You want her?
Speaker 3: No? She wants to Yeah, No, Cardi is my girl. We did a commercial together. Minded. But I haven't had a record out in like fifteen years, R and B album for twenty years, and I've been working on her for the last six months. But I got it coming.
Speaker 5: We're still on tour.
Speaker 3: Fabulous.
Speaker 2: What about you? Saga I'm sorry, I.
Speaker 4: Want to I won't see miss.
Speaker 6: Whatever makes you? What about yourself at the beginning of the year, Yeah, I've Sea and I got together, did the little pop album and I got I get some nice pries. I got what's on it so far. I can talk about Oh Snoop is on there. I got super rapping on one, but I got quite a few other surprises. But you do, it's gonna be interesting.
Speaker 7: I saw you performed with du as well to yeh, we did.
Speaker 6: We jammed. I came with Jam the other day.
Speaker 8: How do you how do you pick and chooser? All three of you, ladies? How do you pick and choose? Like when artists call you and say, hey, I'm almost paying tribute. We'll love to have you where you're like you laying your actual face and presence to an artist.
Speaker 6: If they can say that.
Speaker 3: He do something special. Yeah, I mean Carti is not a singer singer, right, but she's special to entertain. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: Have any of the younger artist because y'all talked about like the showmanship of what you guys do and what you're used to. Have any of the younger singers or any performers reached out to you guys and say, hey, I need help with my actual show.
Speaker 7: Am I getting to my audience? And how did that?
Speaker 3: Calls from Jennifer Hudson my other baby, you know, when she was doing respect she wanted me to talk to her about Aretha and stuff that we did. And we plan and do things together also. But they do call and they do get information. Because we've been on the road for all our lives and things that we've been through, we can let them know that you might have to go through this and you might be lucky if you don't have to do it. Yes, I love giving info.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you too, Miss Mills. You talked about just being the fiftieth your anniversary of the Whiz. How is that criticism of your role is doughthy on Broadway shape the way you showed up throughout your whole career.
Speaker 3: It's funny criticism and people that are not nice to me or whatever inspire me to be even better. It makes me stronger because I have a strong will. I came from a strong mother. So if you're unkind or if you're criticizing the way I look and the way, it just makes me stronger. I'm going to be better the next time you see me. And that's how I dealt with this throughout my whole career.
Speaker 5: I just don't. I don't let it. I let it wash off of me.
Speaker 4: What about you, Miss, how you dealt with criticism?
Speaker 6: I love it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It makes you. You know, a lot of people say, well, after fifty you don't do much. You can't do much. So anytime someone says something negative about me, it pushed me forward. Yes, you know, because I know I can do you know, and like I said, let them keep talking. It makes you popular.
Speaker 5: Yes, I always said, just get the right spell it.
Speaker 4: What about you, miss, I don't.
Speaker 6: Get much criticism, but.
Speaker 4: What mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: When you when you had got criticized after the verses, did that bother you?
Speaker 6: I'm not talking about that.
Speaker 2: Okay, shut your ass right up. I want I want to know. You know, when when artist sample your music is there sometimes you be like, nah, I'm not doing it because sometimes artists you'll be like, well, if the curse you can't, I'm not going to clear it. Do y'all listen to the records when they try to sample your record your music?
Speaker 3: Oh of course, Yeah, I've had some moments.
Speaker 2: You've shut some people down, like I just don't like the record.
Speaker 3: I can't tell you, but you have had some moments, you know.
Speaker 6: I used to have had a problem want you know, but that's because I didn't understand hip hop mm and the way that it will take a song or voice and flip it, you know. And once I understood, I've I've you know, really, you know, apologize because I just didn't understand that.
Speaker 2: The sampling, the hot pitch, the voice. He was like, nah, that's not me.
Speaker 6: Because that's if you wanted me. What is that? You know, but you know, just because of my my ignorance. So but we got it straight.
Speaker 2: Who broken down? How'd you figure it out? Was one of those things that.
Speaker 6: My sons my son, right, you let me know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the checks are good.
Speaker 2: Roll to check.
Speaker 4: You've been stamp about everybody from Kanye to Mary J.
Speaker 3: Blige.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if everybody paid up. I'm just kidding. But uh, it's you know, it's that's just that's beautiful that you know everybody can cheer. Everybody cheer everybody everybody. I love compilations, I love tanks, everything more interesting to me. It makes you know red and red and yellow, you know orange? That's something?
Speaker 2: What about you, Miss Mills? Let me sample your stuff.
Speaker 5: I love it. I have a good time with it, and I do get my checks.
Speaker 2: Do you ever turn somebody down for a particular reason, like, nah, you just can't sing?
Speaker 5: But nah, I've never turned anybody down, really No.
Speaker 3: I like freedom and I think people should be able to be free to express themselves the way they want to, you know, So I've never turned anybody down.
Speaker 4: Well, who taught you to, Miss Mills?
Speaker 1: Because you've always been vocal about ownership and independence in music and to see.
Speaker 4: Like a lot of young artists starting to do that now, But who taught you that? So early on?
Speaker 3: I've always been one to sit back and just watch and observe, and like I've been like a sponge and then people like my first agent was Buddy Howe William Mars, and he taught me a lot. And I never wanted to be one of those artists that wound up with no money, a graggedy car.
Speaker 5: This. I never wanted to be that.
Speaker 3: So I've always made sure that I was covered in some way and lived a certain way so that I could live that way for the rest of my life, because it's not how well you live, it's how long you live. Well it is you said it, I love that, yes, beautiful.
Speaker 4: How much has the industry changed and how much is it? Has it stayed the same?
Speaker 3: I think it's changed a lot. The way you go about putting out music. I think it's better for artists to be independent because I think record companies are nothing but a marketing company, So why should they take half your money or whatever. You could sell fifty thousand units and make a lot of money. You know it comes straight to you, So why should you give that up? You know, publishing and all of that. I make sure even if I haven't I shouldn't say this, but even if I haven't written a song, if someone comes to me and says I want you to do the song with me, I'm going to get some of the publishers because I've made I know I can sell records, and I know I can have hit records.
Speaker 5: So that's just good business.
Speaker 3: But I think they should really just keep it small and do good business.
Speaker 2: Would you say you made more money now in the last ten years than you did in your career?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? Absolutely right now?
Speaker 3: Well, because I'm independent, and I'm more veriable about what I want. I know exactly what I want, I know how I want it to be done, I know what percentages I want.
Speaker 5: So yeah, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 4: How much of the industry has changed and how much is the state to say.
Speaker 3: It's changed a lot. I think women are getting more play these days. And like stephinitely said, you have to know what you were and you have to know that who's ever doing your business with you they are safe, which is hard to find. You know, my son is with me, yes forever, ad no, No, go ahead, finish, But I just want to say that you have to know your work and you have to be willing to say no and not chase the money because all money ain't good money. Yeah, because it's real. I mean, you can't go out and say I'm going to do this and you embarrass yourself where you talked about barely for taking that check, right, you know? So I know all of these things are done well with me and my son like he'll stop it in a minute, no matter how much it is. So you know, I'm blessed again. I'm blessed with business.
Speaker 4: What about you, miss Saka?
Speaker 6: No, you know the big you know the big house, the big you know, the big company. I was very thrilled. I was thrilled when I find out that a lot of artists, hip hop artists were like in their hotel rooms cutting records. I was like, yes, that's the way to be absolutely and Prince and I went through a really big fight with you know for some years, you know about yeah, how crooked they were. And so finally I'm in a good place where I own everything. I'm of mine, get to come through me first.
Speaker 8: So I know you guys are doing this the Black Music Collective the right, that's the promoters behind you guys, So Black Promoters Collectives.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, the Black Promoters Collective.
Speaker 8: So I know you got talk just a bit about that, like working with them and putting this tour on in them, you know, knowing how to cater to you guys as the legends that you guys are.
Speaker 3: They've been treating us like queens. We would be out there if they weren't. So they're a very awesome teams, and we're happy to be there because if we weren't, we wouldn't be doing the second half, which starts September nineteen. So we're happy about the things that happened before.
Speaker 4: Now, why you roll your eyes, miss Shaka, I didn't.
Speaker 3: Oh she's just looking that way.
Speaker 6: It's looking crazy. It's too early for me to be talking about.
Speaker 2: Well, definitely picked up their tickets.
Speaker 1: If if there's one message you want the audience to take away after seeing all of y'all perform together, what is it?
Speaker 3: Unity? Hm? And that way we respect each other.
Speaker 5: Love peace.
Speaker 6: We've been talking about this for years, you know, those all together. This is when this came. So here's our chance, you know, m H. I love you so much.
Speaker 3: I love you too. I mean we have really go back. Yes, they love me like a mother. Yeah, I mean they really do respect my whole self, and I love it. It is.
Speaker 6: She's the quickest.
Speaker 3: She's the quickest change artist ever artist.
Speaker 6: Let me tell you, she said, says, one amazing outfit right and this is still in her show her in her heart. So I mean she ran out the stage and came right back on with a totally different outfit. I said, what's this magic or what? She still hasn't told me her secret.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just fast. I practice.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean with them, but less than three minutes time, she had a.
Speaker 3: Totally freaking tract different outfit way.
Speaker 6: That's something. That's yeah, that's something. Yeah, you're amazing.
Speaker 4: At night too. She's also.
Speaker 3: Knows love we potato the last time she's doing so that's why she's not with us today. Yeah, she's with her because she has other jobs. Yeah, we love amazing.
Speaker 6: I could up on her.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you ladies for joining us, the Queens, the Queens, the legends, the icons, and.
Speaker 1: Make sure you got there and get all miss Patty LaBelle products, you know, Thanksgiving.
Speaker 3: Right around to go with my pancakes. Yeah, it's in Kroger's and somewhere I don't know, but I do have it as outcome institution out.
Speaker 4: At Texas yet.
Speaker 2: Texts coming through Patti LaBelle, Stephanie Mills, Chaka Khan, thank you so much.
Speaker 4: It's the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I play every day.
Speaker 4: Ago click up the Breakfast Club. Y'all done,