Speaker 1: McKinnon has hit up running back first down and goal to go play action.
Speaker 2: Fake right touchdown Jacksau City a Cole Hartman, A Cole Hartman with the Cats on the right side, a free yard touchdown passing overtime. Kansas City wins the game twenty five, twenty two.
Speaker 1: And the Chiefs Kingdom has started its own history class because for the first time in six thousand, nine hundred and forty four days, there is a back to back Super Bowl champion and it is the Kansas City Chiefs, champions of Super Bowl fifty eight. On the heels of Super Bowl fifty seven, the Chiefs win in overtime.
Speaker 3: Mitch holt Is with the call Chiefs Radio Network. They done it again, the Kansas City Chiefs. Patrick Mahomes to Mi Cole Hardman three yard touch Yes me, Cole Hardman three yard touchdown pass with three seconds left in overtime. Chiefs rally past the Niners twenty five to twenty two in Super Bowl fifty eight. They are the first repeat champion in nineteen years and I have a chance to be the first team ever next season to three peat. Dan hanss here with Greg rosen Fall Mark Sessler, we are Heroes Bowl.
Speaker 4: The backdrop we are in the.
Speaker 3: End zone, coming right behind the end zone where Patrick Mahomes hit Hardman to win the Super Bowl in another Super Bowl, MVP boys, And what a treat overtime.
Speaker 5: For so much of this game, we're talking to you other being like, no, this's kind of a boring Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: Let's pick it up here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And once that fourth quarter started, really the end.
Speaker 5: Of the third, once the Chiefs got that touchdown, it was an all time classic. And I just think of how this season played out for the Chiefs and how his teammates and their struggles in a sense made him have to be a game manager. And this was the conversation with Purty all season, like game changer, game manager. And what I saw tonight out of Mahomes was what I've seen out of the best quarterbacks in the history of the game, which is that he did everything that needed to be done in the moment that needed it to be done.
Speaker 6: And it wasn't flashy plays.
Speaker 5: It was the right decisions on the last drive of regulation, it was obviously the right decisions of when to run in overtime, and him just being calm, being patient when he needed to being aggressive when he needed to and just always doing the right thing, because that's what great quarterbacks do.
Speaker 7: It was almost like a microcosm of their season because the Chiefs in the first half stuck in mud, three punts, a big fumble that caused the mystomic a big problem, and they get out of there with a field goal, and you're lucky at that point to be down ten to three at the half, and then over their final four possessions, the Chiefs scored nineteen points and it's sort of the way they close their season in the playoffs. And I feel like it was just a year ago that we were in Arizona and I was thinking to myself and saying on our Super Bowl recap show that there's this inevitable nature to Patrick Mahomes and to the Chiefs in general, and it's like it happened again. And I can't help but flip the script and think of, like, my gosh, it happened again to Kyle Shanahan. It's the second time that the Niners had a ten point lead on Mahomes. It's the fourth Super Bowl the Mahomes faced a ten point deficit.
Speaker 8: He's won three of them. He did it again tonight.
Speaker 7: So there is this inevitable sense that the Chiefs will always find a way.
Speaker 3: And I know where you're coming from, Greg when you call him the game manager, But I find it disrespectful because he's a game general. Nay, he's a game commander. He is someone that can do everything. If you need him to be smart with the football, nobody's better. If you need him to take risks and be a downfield gunslinger, he's done that much.
Speaker 6: Decision maker. And you're trying to.
Speaker 3: And I respect where you're coming You're trying to change a stigma a little bit, o Mander. But what Mahomes did again and seeing him, they ran it, by the way, the.
Speaker 4: Same Andy Reid, that son of a gun.
Speaker 3: They run the same play that they ran to get the big touchdown to Tony in last year's Super Bowl, but substituting Tony a healthy scratch in this game with me Cole Harbman, a guy that they said bye bye to who goes to the Jets, bombs out. They move him and he lands with kse and then makes the you know, one of the biggest catches in Super Bowl history. It's an amazing story and to see it right in front of us. It's a reminder again how lucky we are. And also to see him running Mahomes through the back of the end zone and then up the far sideline and just the first thing that came to my mind is this is this is the guy I think when you look at what he's done now in seven years. And he said in the week radio row that this was such a huge moment for Mahomes and reed for them now to both get another title, it's unreal. And he's absolutely in the conversation greatest of all time.
Speaker 4: I think he's twenty eight years old by kickoff next year.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I mean he.
Speaker 7: Had that incredible twenty two yard run that called back the run he had against the Eagles a year ago and the wide open Mikol Hartman touchdown this season. MGS noted that he had eight more touchdowns to wide open wide receivers than.
Speaker 8: Anyone in the game. Like it's like they are scheming them up perfectly.
Speaker 7: It won them the Super Bowl a year ago, it happened again today and I'm with you.
Speaker 4: I just look at this team and.
Speaker 7: It's like the way at the half Travis Kelsey had one catch for one yard and we were talking about the fact that he, you know, marched up to Andy Reid with vitriol and anger and shoved his coach. It's like that seemed like it could have become the story of the game if they continue to melt instead, that feels like fourteen years ago at this point, right.
Speaker 5: The second half starts with then throwing a pitch to Pachecko and they take a two yard loss on a fumble, and then Mahomes throws one of the worst passes of his career for an interception. And the Chiefs defense was such a big part of this. We'll get to them, but the two turnovers that the Chiefs had, the Chiefs defense then steps up with a three and out immediately and doesn't make it count. But while we're kind of just talking Mahomes in the game management like it does feel inevitable that this all happened, and yet there were so many little parts of the game. And when I'm thinking of that last drive, he gets the ball back in regulation needing three points one fifty three to go, and they got the ball to the forty nine ers forty three in no time at all, in less than a minute, And that was where he was being patient. He was taking nine yards, three yards, twelve yards, eight yards, so he wasn't going for these chunk plays. He's taking what's there. But they did it very quickly. They got out of bounds, they didn't use their timeouts there. Then you get into overtime. A couple of different spots there, the third and sixth, the or she Rice. That was a really nice catch where Mahomes is under pressure. That was not like a given if if they don't get that, you're at fourth and six with the season on the line. You have a fourth and one, you need one yard and the and the game stops and we're like, what's Sandy Reid gonna do in this spot?
Speaker 6: He goes back to that Reid option.
Speaker 5: I think it was Chase Young that they took advantage cutting inside the third and one. He knows exactly when to scramble, like just every decision, even the Kelsey catch at the end of regulation that set up the chip shot at that point. If they did not pick up that first down, that's a fifty yard field goal for Bucker just to keep the game alive with some time there. And each time it's like those were the passes that are exactly on the money.
Speaker 6: That's why he is. He's the best player I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Next Gen Stats had an incredible stat on that Kelsey reception, that catch and run that he reached something about I think nineteen point eight miles per hour as as fastest he had run on a catch since twenty eighteen. And that's that is adrenaline. That's super Bowl. That's just that, you know, it's just a different world. And the fact that Mahomes, you know, when you talk about who's and we don't want to overlook Tom Brady and that, and I'm sure they're Patriots fans yelling is they're listening, like shut up about Mahomes being the best ever because Brady won seven and Brady had massive moments like this too, and that's true. So I really don't want to have that conversation, but I just want to point out that for Mahomes, the way he's so calm and collected in these spots, as Brady was, as Joe Montana was, that always sticks with me watching these games.
Speaker 4: There's not a moment of panic.
Speaker 3: Here is Patrick Mahomes on CBS after the game talking about where the Niners now are in history, and by the way, Patrick Mahomes seven and zero in the playoffs over the last two years with two titles and fifteen and three in his remarkable career seven seasons in.
Speaker 6: So is it a dynasty now, Yeah, it's a start of one. We're not done.
Speaker 9: I know we're gonna celebrate tonight, celebrate the pride Winnsday, Kansas City.
Speaker 4: We're not done.
Speaker 6: Who got a young team. We'll keep this thing going.
Speaker 7: I'd also say that Mahomes has won these Super Bowls where it's not the same star studded lineup in each of these victories.
Speaker 4: It's different types of teams.
Speaker 7: And I think you're right to call him a game manager in a positive sense and that he had to be a different type of quarterback with different players around in this season. It's like their defense I think saved them in the first half. Absolutely, I got them out of trouble. But it's like, look at who he's surrounded. If you were to pair of these two teams and you were to put an offensive lineup of like the All Star team, it's like it's heavily favoring the Niners and it's not favoring the Chiefs, and it doesn't really matter because Patrick Mahomes doesn't really care who's on the.
Speaker 5: Team, right, And there's that one great throw he had to Hardman, which we had a great view.
Speaker 6: We watched this game in two different spots.
Speaker 5: We were in the auxiliary press box, which is basically up in the third deck for the first two and a half quarters of.
Speaker 8: The game, ash together.
Speaker 5: Right, and that throw from that angle, actually it was absolutely perfect to see that gorgeous. He had no business throwing that ball because Hardman's bracketed both sides. But it's such an impossible throw and Hardwin makes a different play. But other than that, you don't think of like incredible athleticism in the way that we did in twenty eighteen, in his first season as a starter twenty nineteen when he won the Super Bowl for the first time. And that's why you think Mahomes is thinking, yeah, we're just getting started. Because this skill set where he's winning up here, along with that incredible arm he has, is gonna age well are you doing it?
Speaker 4: What? Hey? He's reaching the point in his career.
Speaker 3: But in the mental side that is actually is catching up with the physical.
Speaker 5: That is it Brady's accomplished the most ever, no one in the history of the NFL's had a first seven seasons of their career like Patrick Wilmes.
Speaker 6: It's not even close. It's not an argument.
Speaker 5: It's the best start to a season any players ever had seen.
Speaker 3: This could we don't know, You never know. This could be the last time he's ever on the stage. That weird things have happened.
Speaker 7: But that's why I think Adam bob lands on the United States, I'm just saying.
Speaker 3: As Dan Marino in nineteen eighty four, what he would have thought many But that's.
Speaker 7: Like the difference between Dan Marino's career, who was thought to be the best in certain a certain light, and what Patrick Mahomes has done is like completely unprecedented.
Speaker 4: I it's remarkable.
Speaker 3: And he finished thirty four of forty six, three hundred and thirty three yards average, seven point two yards per attempt, two touchdowns, that one ugly pick pass rating ninety nine point three.
Speaker 4: And you know, I got to give credit to.
Speaker 3: His receivers because they didn't build the best skill goop around him this year. We know that even throughout the playoffs and even through certainly half of this game, it was apparent that they're still missing Tyreek Hill or someone that can really make things easier for Patrick Mahomes, which makes his achievements even greater. But I look down at you have Kelsey, even though he's one for one at the half, he finishes nine for ninety three on ten targets.
Speaker 4: But then he pretty much spreads it out.
Speaker 3: Three catches for Hardman, three for Justin Watson, six for thirty nine for Rashi Rice.
Speaker 4: But Chaigo has six.
Speaker 3: For thirty three, No great two for twenty two mvs. Three catches Jared McKinnon two remember a drop.
Speaker 5: Yes, and exactly Watson had one where the ball was a little behind him.
Speaker 6: I remember that.
Speaker 4: Under so undercard these guys.
Speaker 3: There's a certain ceiling with many of these guys, and maybe even with Kelsey at this point in his career.
Speaker 4: But uh, they maxed.
Speaker 3: Out what they were able to do, and I think you have to give them credit as well, because it's not just Mahomes like that. The Rashi Rice catcher yet overtime is a perfect example. Was it overtime or the end of the fourth quarter that was overtime? You know that ball could have went through his hands, it was up there, you know, like that is these and the pressures at the highest levels, and these guys made the catches and got it done. So a great, great performance by the offense after a slow start, and the defense did what the defense did all year long.
Speaker 7: And a couple of plays before that Nicole Hartman game winner, there was the Kelsey catch right up the gut of the field where it looked like he had one or two yards and he just barreled and created a pile and went right down to the goal line.
Speaker 4: Almost. It's like Kelsey is part of this too. It's like his.
Speaker 7: Fastest run time comes and this game after we were saying he lost a step all year long. It's like everything that we were complaining about and feeling nagged about with the Chiefs just vanished in the last month right then.
Speaker 4: And that's what the great teams do.
Speaker 5: YEA that extra year he had, he had a couple of crucial third doctor version so did Rice. I was annoyed though, that that Kelsey play in the red zone where they.
Speaker 6: Almost you know, won the Super Bowl there. I had the phone up, We're just we're got a great spot. This is a game.
Speaker 5: This is the game day morning spot that that they taped that during the show, and I had my phone up for that play and I was like, Oh, this is gonna be amazing. Kelsey's gonna win the super Bowl. That didn't happen. Then forgot to have it up for the Mkole Hardman Super Bowl winning.
Speaker 4: I'll send it to that just to correct you.
Speaker 7: It's the around the NFL set where Game Day Morning filmed earlier today.
Speaker 3: Well, that's a great point. In fact, there's the back of my chair. There's a piece of tape that says Rich on it. If we could get Dan put over the Rich tape, I would appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Eric h over there in the corner.
Speaker 5: So you mentioned Spagnolo them doing it like they did it all season, and I think of a couple plays in this game for Spagnolo to do what he did all season. Two monster third downs. It's a two minute warning in regulation. It's it's almost easy to forget now. It feels a long time ago. The score is sixteen to sixteen. It's third and four. The forty nine ers have the ball. If the forty nine ers get four yards on that play, they win the Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: Very likely.
Speaker 5: I mean, the Chiefs could have used all their timeouts and they could have gotten no yards. You could maybe it doesn't happen, but basically it's third and four. You get just four yards, you don't need a touchdown on the play, and you win the Super Bowl. Spag sends pressure there. It's Trent McDuffie. He gets in clean. It felt like Trent mcduffee was blitzing this whole game. They blitz more than fifty percent of the time. He gets out there right away. Perty really has no chance on that play. Great job. Then in overtime Perdy makes a couple great plays on that drive.
Speaker 6: Nice throws, had like a hesitation.
Speaker 5: Where he got Krloftus on him, got him to down to the fifteen.
Speaker 6: I thought Perty was fining this game. He played well.
Speaker 5: Third and four again season on the line, can you stop them from getting a touchdown? Chris Jones gets in totally clean. They sent the house all game. And who is that on? Is it on the forty nine ers coaches? Is it on Purty? Is it on the offensive line like or is it just giving Spagnol the credit for winning in big spots. I'm not smart enough to really know, but I do know Spagnola won in those spots. Perty had a wide open receiver on that play that he had no chance to get it to because the pressure was on him right away.
Speaker 6: And that's that wins the super Bowl. That's the different sphere.
Speaker 7: There were a couple of huge plays like that, and they had eleven hurries and a bunch of those came from defensive backs.
Speaker 8: And we've been seeing that from from Spags all year long.
Speaker 7: And I don't know if it went on like we had Colleen wolf done on the field the first person she interviewed with Spags and it's like, by the way, this is like I'm not calling it like you know, a Ryan moment with Ditka, but it's like he is what he is the reason they got here just as much now.
Speaker 4: And that's it still scratch scratch my head.
Speaker 3: Why no one even snipped around him as a head coach when you talk about and we can talk on this at the end of the show, all right, well Bill Belichick doesn't have a job either. When we talk about some legacy stuff, uh, and what the Chiefs can do going forward, we'll get to that because Spags is coming back as is read as.
Speaker 4: His mahomes as is as is Kelsey.
Speaker 3: Some stats about this Chiefs defense and then we'll take a break and we'll do a little talk from the Niner side of things. Brock Purdy completed twelve is nineteen attempts against the blitz for one thirty one in a touchdown.
Speaker 4: He got sacked once.
Speaker 3: The Chiefs defense blitz as you said, Greg on fifty one point two percent of dropbacks, their fourth highest rate in a game under spags.
Speaker 4: So they turned up the heat in a big way in this game.
Speaker 3: And one more stat from next Gen, the Chiefs defense generated a season high nine unblocked pressures and Super Bowl fifty eight, all which came on blitzes. So obviously the game plan was to get after party, and I thought it was notable late in the game a couple times when Specks held back the Dogs, that led to some things that were fortuitous for San Francisco.
Speaker 5: Third in twelve in overtime, you're right, hold it, he didn't send it and that helped lead the forty nine ers. That those numbers they sound decent from perty he avoided mistakes.
Speaker 6: I think he played well enough to win. I saw take afterwards.
Speaker 5: It was like Shanahan needs a better quarterback to get over the hump up like this is not the game for it. They know they had this game, not that their offense played great, But to me, that was more about the coaching. Maybe when Perty's in his eighth year, he'll be able to fix protections in a way that he can. Now it's hard to say, but that's a four point five yards per attempt on those throws plus the sack. That is an extremely low number for a guy who set the NFL record for yards per attempt the season.
Speaker 3: All right, let's take a break and when we return, yes, we'll continue to churn through and dig through.
Speaker 4: Super Bowl fifty eight.
Speaker 3: I look back on the field behind us, and there's still I don't know, I'm gonna say about five hundred people littered on the field, confetti everywhere, but it's starting.
Speaker 4: To die down. The tailor swift out there.
Speaker 5: Wait, is that Chris Berman literally live on television on a set like fifty yards away from us, maybe even less than that. That's how close we are to being Chris Berman. For you to really be in the next Chris Berman, that's the goal on every way I want to be Chris Berman. All right, let's take a break. We'll be right back.
Speaker 10: Check it in ten nine Yers up three nine. Perdy gonna throw a double pass back to Juwan Jennings. He'll throw it back across the field of McCaffrey. He's got it.
Speaker 2: Twenty ten five touchdown, San Fan sits go.
Speaker 1: C mc enter the Dragon Baby six points on a trick play.
Speaker 3: By the way, it's time for the Sunday Drive presented by the first ever Toyota Grand.
Speaker 4: Highlander oh Man.
Speaker 3: Better times for the forty nine ers on Super Bowl Sunday, Christian McCaffrey. The twenty one yard pass from Juwan Jennings, who was he was shaping up as a potential Super Bowl MVP for a bit in this game. It didn't work out, obviously, that was the call from Greg Popa and.
Speaker 4: Tim Ryan of KNBR.
Speaker 3: That play put the Niners up ten to nothing in this game, and as Mark pointed out, that is a double digit lead that the Niners and Kyle Shanahan in his career. It's haunting and it's another haunting loss for the forty nine Ers, Another gut punch loss for the forty nine ers, who did a lot of things right in this game, but once again, when it was time to close the game out, when it was time to kind of stump, like put your foot on the throat of the Chiefs. They kept on letting them off the hook. They let them hang around, and eventually it got them.
Speaker 4: Beat they did.
Speaker 7: And it's gotta be gut wrenching for Niners fans to process this because it's a team that went three for twelve on third down and it really showed. I thought that they just didn't make enough of their opportunities to go into halftime up just ten to three.
Speaker 4: It should have been more.
Speaker 7: And like we were up there, you know, when we were higher up in the stadium thinking there were multiple times where you could have slashed the neck of the Chiefs and they just could not do it.
Speaker 8: And it's their defense, though.
Speaker 7: After this, after a couple of weeks of like the defense being the focal point and the problem played a great game early on, they really did. And it's the offense I thought that came out and you mentioned is it coaching?
Speaker 4: What was it?
Speaker 7: Because it's not just on brock party, but they come out of the of the second half of halftime with three fizzle out punts and it's like that's where in that intermittent time the Chiefs started warming up, and I want to point to one moment too late in the game where it's it was actually in overtime. I want to ask your opinion because it's that third and four play where Party is pressured on his pass and it's incomplete. It's a Chris Jones pressure that I think absolutely sets up a Shanahan moment for the Ages.
Speaker 8: Let's listen to the call.
Speaker 4: McCaffrey comes to your notion.
Speaker 1: They fake the jettahem Perty throws it hot and Throver throws his receiver incomplete.
Speaker 4: The same time rush Chris Jones.
Speaker 10: Jennings was the intended receiver, but Party had to just get rid of the football.
Speaker 4: And now what does San Francisco? Dude, this is interesting.
Speaker 7: At fourth and four, so you know, Chris Jones team highs six pressures on the game.
Speaker 8: A game changer right there. I mean, that's today's NFL.
Speaker 7: It's then fourth and four on the KC nine and they kick the field goal, which is a very Shanahan leverpole right there, and pardon me, was like, wait a minute, you could leave the Chiefs on their nine yard line if you go for it and you don't get it. But do you not just go for it and sink a knife into the Chief's heart right here. And instead they go for the field goal, and there's you know, there's plenty of time left for the Chiefs to come back at that point.
Speaker 5: Right that's ot And it really brings up this idea that I think in the analytical community community would be the rule book, which would be you would defer in overtime, and that's so that you kind of know what the other team does because the playoff overtime rules are different than regulation. Each team is guaranteed to possession even if you give up a touchdown, and so in that spot, you'd almost love to know if you needed a touchdown or not. Now he could have been bold and just gone for it. I'm with you, because what are the odds we're gonna, you know, stop the Chiefs anyways, we need touchdowns. And one of the reasons they were in this game is because Kyle Shanahan did a very un Kyle Shanahan move and he did go for it on fourth and three down three points.
Speaker 3: My mind, and I know we're living in a Dan Campbell world. Now, this is supposed to always be oh well, the bot says, you go for it, but it takes a serious amount of onions.
Speaker 4: I got to give the c I thought it was the wrong move.
Speaker 3: But they have a fourth and three at the Kansas City fifteen with well forty six to play. They're losing by three points in the in the Super Bowl, and they go for it and they throw up their most the play that they treasure most, and it's the safest play in their mind, the play that will absolutely get it done. And it was Brock Purdy, the George Kittle who is quiet this game and exit in overtime with a shoulder issue for four yards. They pick it up. That sets up the Juwan Jennings touchdown. Let's listen to that touchdown by Jennings.
Speaker 4: Perdy and a shotgun.
Speaker 10: McCaffrey laughed Jennings, outside of you're right, use check and Kittle or chit left? Purdy back Berdy Troll said, is cocked by Jawan Jennings breaks a tackle, touchdown, said Trien says, go the savior.
Speaker 1: Juwan Jennings save dark firsts tight man coverage and Jawan is able to shake loose to that first tackle.
Speaker 6: Red ignite and then punch it into.
Speaker 4: The end zone.
Speaker 3: And that that was one Mark one of the multiple chances, both early in the game where it was like you could have really jumped out to a dominating type lead, or late in the game where it's kind of in your hands now, And in that case, you're now winning because you took the chance and you're rewarded with the touchdown, you're winning. In the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl, it's closed out time and yet time and time again, and the San Francisco forarding on his history in the last fifteen years, they just can't find a way.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 7: And you know, we were in the end zone for this, and I recorded that Jennings touchdown, thinking now, that's an interesting moment to have on tape, But then I press pause and stop recording and the pat is blocked. Yes, that makes it sixteen thirteen when it would have been You know that, then you're forcing.
Speaker 3: The Chiefs to go score a touchdown at that point, and I don't want to get on Moody because Moody also for a brief time for about an hour and a half, had the all time record for longest field goal before Harrison Bucker bested him. But missing the pat getting blocked there Immediately you're thinking, how does that happen, and it wasn't like a breakdown in the blocking.
Speaker 4: It was a low kick Pat has to go higher.
Speaker 3: So that's Moody who if you listen to this show under the Radar X factors was the kicking game and how that would potentially play out, that'd be instead of being a four point game, being a three point game really set the table in a lot of ways for everything that happened after and San Francisco mistakes.
Speaker 4: And Niners fans know it.
Speaker 3: It was really as someone again, it's always bittersweet going to these Super Bowls because I always think about what it would be like if my team was ever here, and how stressful I had this not in my stomachs being ten feet away from a largely forty nine Ers contingent, And you could say, people say, oh, the forty nine Ers fans, they've they've had so much to celebrate and they have had a lot of success, but we're going on over a quarter century since they won a Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: You're like a thirty five year old.
Speaker 4: What I mean.
Speaker 3: Everyone in this section in front of me, for the most part, looked like guys and women that were in their thirties, twenties forties and so to not be able to get it done again. And when you think about again, block Pat a muff punt that sets up the first Kansas City touchdown on a game where before that happened, it wasn't clear that the Chiefs were ever gonna score a touchdown because they looked a lot like the Christmas Chiefs, like the December Chiefs on offense until they got set up on a short field and that kind of kicked them into high gear. And then Greg zero points off to Kansas City turnovers. So there were so many opportunities and they just let these opportunities go to waste. And when you do that against Mahomes it may sound like a cliche, but you just know you're asking for it.
Speaker 5: You can break down this game in so many different ways to fit whatever narrative that you want to have. Like the forty nine Ers defense in the end couldn't get it done. They couldn't get a stop to win the Super Bowl, but the first nine possessions of the game for the Chiefs resulted in six points. Nine possessions is sometimes the whole game. Like if your defense plays well enough to give up six points and nine possessions and you're the forty nine ers and then granted the town against the Chiefs usually, but that is often a twenty three to six win and the game's already over, and so you fault the offense certainly for not taking advantage more during that stretch of the game. But I don't want to hear anyone actually kind of come after the offense and purty for not coming up big enough in the biggest moment, because the reality is they got the ball in the fourth quarter trailing and they went and scored a touchdown with a fourth down conversion. Then they got the ball back again in a tie game in the fourth quarter in the Super Bowl with five forty six to go, and you're thinking, oh, this is legacy drive, this is brock Perdy, can you do it? He had a couple very nice plays on that drive. You obviously would have loved to pick up that third down I talked about earlier, and the drive stalls, but you did get a field goal to take the lead in the Super Bowl in the fourth quarter when he absolutely needs you get the ball in overtime. It's the same thing again. I thought that was gonna be the CMC drive. CMC ends this game with one hundred and sixty yards and a touchdown on thirty touches, and that shows his value. And yet in terms of running the ball, they didn't really get into a great rhythm the whole game until that drive. And it's sometimes these little plays. He had a second and four in the reds, you know, inside the ten, and I think it was Trevelle Wharton and Mike Panell like their deep backup stop them there, and they they at that point they decide to throw it on the next play. It's like if he kept rolling there, if they block a little better there, they get a third and one, or they keep running. I thought in overtime he was just going to run the ball down the field, which is CMC. We've seen in them have those drives and they and they just come up a play shorts. It's hard to kill any one particular part of the team.
Speaker 3: I don't think the offense played well enough though San Francisco ultimately we.
Speaker 6: In the final four quarters.
Speaker 3: I mean when you look at when you look at this game, you kept on waiting, where was that big chunk play, Where was the where was the huge au play, The huge Deebo play Kittle?
Speaker 4: Where was Kittle? Most of this game?
Speaker 3: CMC was workmanlike, and I had a lot of respect for him because by the end of that game, you could tell he was hurting because he's getting thirty touches in the Super Bowl at the end of a long season.
Speaker 6: These two teams look so tired in person.
Speaker 3: I kept on waiting for McCaffrey even on that last drive, and they could have won the Super Bowl potentially, although case he's going to get a chance to get the balls, the overtime rules are different, which is stupid to me. Why can't the uniform McCaffrey could never make that one extra guy miss to go fifty yards, and the explosive nature to their offense was missing. And I think Party plays a role in that too, that he didn't hit on a couple of throws as well, and they were just missing that little extra special something that a Kyle Shanahan play caller with that amount of talent, we're just missing that special play.
Speaker 7: I think they ran into a defensive scheme that that figured out how to put pressure on Party, how to make things difficult, take those big plays away, and you know on that overtime drive where they go up at the field goal when we've kind of broken down the end of that remember outstarted and it was like it was very quickly suddenly they were at third and five and Purty throws a wobbly incomplete pass, but then defensive holding reopens the door. I mean, it's like it wasn't a bad call necessarily, it's not that. It's just that like that one mistake by the Chiefs. Otherwise this game could have been over about fifteen to twenty minutes earlier.
Speaker 5: To your point, Dan on not getting the big plays, I uked six targets only forty nine yards long of twenty debo eleven targets, and man, I wouldn't have guessed this watching it live. I wasn't box score tracking that closely. Thirty three yards on three catches long of twelve was not healthy.
Speaker 4: In the second half of the game at a hamstret.
Speaker 5: The most open guys in the game were a couple big plays by Conley and McCleod. Actually, so those are their two star wide receivers, and then Kittle ends up with four yards on three targets. It is hard to win that way, and they had some next gen stats here during the game, and it was really interesting howse.
Speaker 4: Shout out Bill Smith the next gen stat.
Speaker 6: Absolutely getting it done.
Speaker 5: The average tested catches in terms of like the percentage of throws that were into tight windows, the Chiefs actually had far more throws that were into wide open receivers than the forty nine Ers, we who had very few throws that were open, which is not what you think.
Speaker 6: And again that's a credit to the Chiefs defense.
Speaker 7: And like there was this one, you know, mysterious injury in the middle of the game where you were early on where you lose Drake Drake Greenlaw, Like as he's coming out into the field, he tears his achilles. All Drake green Law is what like the forty nine Ers allowed the fewest yards per attempt on targets over the middle third of the field since drafting Warner in twenty eighteen, and so that like that's green Law as well. So it's like to lose green Law. There was I think a secret disaster for the Niners.
Speaker 6: Some of those rice catches.
Speaker 5: I think about Noah Gray catches had a couple that's right.
Speaker 3: Where green is and watching that and we're way up in the auxiliary box and have no access to television, so it's a bit of a weird experience on some levels when you're watching the game no internet for half the game, no internet for half the game, and then when you check your phone and you see Drake Grila is just bouncing on on the balls of his feet on the sidelight it went in to take the field.
Speaker 4: I think it was maybe the second possession of the game.
Speaker 3: It was early, yeah, and he goes to plant and the Achilles just goes which is just unbelievable, and so you feel snake bit a little bit if you're the Niners at this point.
Speaker 4: Here's Kyle Shanahan, who, like.
Speaker 3: We said, uh, just like we talked about with Lamar, and I know it's annoying to the Lamar army and everybody else, but you don't get to stop talking about the thing until you get that thing off your back, and it's the monkey of are you a champion?
Speaker 4: Are you not? Here's Kyle once again falls just short on the loss.
Speaker 11: I mean, we all hurt and then everyone knows how it feels and don't have a lot of words for it, but obviously we're hurting, our team's hurting. But that's how it goes when you put yourself out there.
Speaker 4: I'm real proud of our guys for.
Speaker 11: No regress with our team until our guys played so hard today.
Speaker 4: Not everything was perfect.
Speaker 11: By no means, but I'm gonna with a group of guys. Do with those guys anytime, and I'll take some time. We'll get over this and come back next. You're ready to go.
Speaker 7: And you can hear in his voice like the true emotion in the in the raw like nature of getting this far again. And it's like even when they've bowed out in the NFC title game, they've been brutal losses where they've been close, and you look back and think to yourself, you know last year was injuries, obviously, but you know in other years it's just like a couple of plays here or there, and this game is littered with that sense of what could have been had just a few moments gone differently for the Niners.
Speaker 8: And it's like Dan, we've now been to and you as well, Grog, but like it predates.
Speaker 7: You on by one by one year that like we saw them lose and bitter fashion to the Ravens way back when different team. Obviously, I was there with you, You were there with me. It was it was that's that I I.
Speaker 5: Feel actually had West there with a very distinct memory with Wes there West not there.
Speaker 4: I was with you. I knew and I was thinking all these vivid memories from that one.
Speaker 7: Yes, we had great and we were you know the one we like a couple of years ago into the Chiefs. It's like you're up by ten late in the game and then you know they lose, and then corona happens and you're back here and you can change everything. If you're Shanahan, you know it's his third the flip it were with Mahomes. It's the third time he's been up by ten, whether it's a coordinator or a coach.
Speaker 4: And there you go. Here's more sound. Here's Shanahan.
Speaker 3: And why they decided to take the ball first, considering the new playoff overtime rules.
Speaker 11: It's just something we talked about with you know that none of us have a ton of experience of it, but we went to all the analytics and talk to those guys, and we decided to be better. We wanted the ball third, the both teams matched and scored. We want to be the ones who had the chance to go win and we got that field goal, so we knew we had to hold him to at least to a field goal, and if if we did, then we thought it was in our hands.
Speaker 4: After that.
Speaker 5: Doesn't really answer the question. I honestly think that it's gonna be one of those things. And I forget who was the team. I want to say it was the Patriots, and then everyone just started deferring of games. I do think people will start to do that in playoff overtimes, not that you're gonna have a huge sample size. It just makes too much sense. I'm not gonna kill Kyle Shannon, and I don't think it's the difference.
Speaker 6: In this game.
Speaker 5: You could have made an argument that it helps the defense get a little bit of a rest. Certainly that Chiefs defense looked tired on that drive. But I do think it was an advantage for Kansas City. Like, look, they had a fourth and one in their own end. Does Andy Reid definitely go for that, probably if it's the first possession, but no, he need he knows he needs to get a score in that drive, and it helped him out.
Speaker 3: All right, let's take a break and when we get back we'll dig into more about this game, what we saw and what it means for these teams going forward and everything else. Do some housekeeping. And that was the Sunday Drive presented by Toyota. Let's go places. Learn more at toyota dot com slash Grand Highlander. Stay right there, more talk coming up next.
Speaker 9: Got all a quick funny story, a touchdown to just dude to the end the game. He looked at me, I said, and he had no idea. Dude, we just won the Super Bowl. He had no idea. I was because he didn't even celebrate at the beginning.
Speaker 7: I'm like, what are we doing to celebrate now?
Speaker 11: Now?
Speaker 3: There it is NFL Network Chris Rose with the interview, Mahomes, Why does this always happen?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 3: I feel like this happens like every other year, major sports moments in different sports and guys achieved greatness and don't even know like the game is over.
Speaker 4: Why are the rules so well?
Speaker 7: I'm also surprised that there wouldn't have been a conversation in the huddle like we can win this right now if we get this thing done, Like it was just that conversation obviously, but we were watching Mikil Harmon make the catch, and it is absolutely true that in live action, like his body language was like, great that I scored a touchdown, but there's probably more to go in this game.
Speaker 4: And it's like, no, the game is over.
Speaker 7: And then like suddenly everyone's running towards him. You could see the reaction.
Speaker 3: It was just like probably a pretty like amazing feeling when like, bro, it's over.
Speaker 4: We just won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: And you just won. You just caught the game winning touchdown in the.
Speaker 7: Super How are you processing all that? It's like in the course of five seconds.
Speaker 5: No matter what happens, for the rest of your life, me, Cole Hardman, you could be happy that you got traded back to the Chiefs or whatever happened for a disastrous that for the rest of your life, you will be a game winning And by the way, spare.
Speaker 3: Me all the mentions. It's so fun being a Jet fan. By all the mentions, like I can't believe you let that guy go. He is comfortably on the teet of the greatest quarterback who's ever lived. So good for him, Bully. To me, Cole, I'm happy for him. But the idea that we let a great one get away It's great that me Cole's back with the Chiefs, because that means he's back with Patrick Mahomes, who's allowing to have great moments.
Speaker 7: Wasting their time tweeting that at you You have you ever been on Twitter?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 12: I have.
Speaker 4: It's a terrible place, yes, that world.
Speaker 5: I think Coole being the type of guy who didn't know it's the end of the Super when he just won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: It's like one of the reasons he might not If.
Speaker 3: You love that joke, how about like the four hundred bozos that sent me the joke last Thursday? Oh wait, so a guy almost dying on the field, isn't his heart is coming back from playing quarterback for the Jets.
Speaker 4: Nice one? Another Joe Flacco burn against the Jets? That funny you should have won?
Speaker 3: All right, let's see, let's see, let's do some odds and and some thoughts and takeaways. I'll start with I gotta give some love to Chris Jones. I don't write the Free Agency one o one, but maybe I'll have some conversations.
Speaker 4: With the editor. Maybe a little power play on Rosenthal. Oh you just swipe it little. We did have our own.
Speaker 6: We're not we're not taping any shows next week.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: The one O one is due the Wednesday following that. So I just want you to know that.
Speaker 4: I'm on it. I'm on it, a little little palace intrigue.
Speaker 3: I'm coming for the one on one, But Chris Jones will be the number one player on that list.
Speaker 4: Chris Jones when it's all said and done.
Speaker 3: Whether it's Kansas City that besigns him, I don't know how they listen. I never try to figure out how a salary cap works, but if you have a five hundred million dollar quarterback, I don't care how the contract spread out. Chris Jones, I think is going to be the highest paid defensive player in the history of the sport when he gets his deal right, and if not.
Speaker 4: He'll be very close about it.
Speaker 3: And he showed you in this game why he'll be worth every penny because he was a constant menace. We talked about the play where he might have saved the season with his pressure of rock party.
Speaker 4: Time and time again, he was ruining you were watching.
Speaker 3: One of the cool things about being at the game, you could kind of get the All twenty two in real time, and there were multiple plays where it felt like party if he just had that extra beat, who was going to hit Some of those big plays I talked about miss it were missing, and they were missing in large part because Chris Jones is an absolute menace to society and just getting after in the backfield. So I don't know what his final numbers were. It wasn't like one of those he had four sacks or anything. But that's why it goes a little deeper than that. He was constantly in the backfield and making plays.
Speaker 5: When you look at the Chiefs playoff wins over the last four years, in almost all of them, Chris Jones made some massive play on third down to end a drive to win the game. To me, he's like a rich man's down to high tower who always stepped up in the absolute biggest fight. Like he was a good player that went to a great player in the playoffs. Chris Jones is a great player that goes to like a first bout Hall of Famer in the playoffs. And that's what he'll probably end up being now because of everything he's done.
Speaker 6: They're in the regular season, but especially in these.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and it's like that's one reason I as we head into the offseason in the narrative change and what we focus on changes.
Speaker 8: Last September eleventh, he ended his holdout.
Speaker 7: It's like, I, I don't know why I spent five minutes talking about his hold There's no way he was not going to play for the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: I remember us being we were pretty smart about how we handled the Chris Jones hold out.
Speaker 4: We didn't.
Speaker 7: We were a lot of were It's just still, you know, it's still a conversation.
Speaker 3: Here is a here's a stat point backing up how dominant he was, even if it didn't register in certain categories per Next Gen Stats. Again, and Jones generated a team high six pressures on thirty five pass rushes, three of which occurred under two point five seconds. So just Party snaps the ball, he's not even to the back of his drop and he's already being swarmed and you know, almost maimed by this fearsome player who's one of the best in the league in all timer.
Speaker 5: Like Andy Reid, I thought it was really interesting that Kelsey immediately started talking three pet after the game. It crossed my mind, could Kelsey retire sometimes this season he's moving slowly, he's getting up slowly, forget that, and Reid obviously made it clear that he's not going to And I know numbers.
Speaker 3: Where did Clark Hutt after the game that he was h That was my uh, that was one of my sandwich props.
Speaker 4: I think, oh no, it wasn't. No, it was.
Speaker 7: It was my hot prediction for NFL dot Com that Read or Kelsey would retire.
Speaker 4: It's like Bury that predictable.
Speaker 5: Quote fully expects Andy Reid to return, and Read's not gonna pass Belichick or I don't know know Lombardi in terms of Super Bowl titles, but if he wants to co for a long time, he can make a run at the wins. And considering the influence he's had on offenses in this league, I mean, he is getting pretty high up there in the greatest all time coaches.
Speaker 7: I yeah, I was gonna mention him too, because it kind of reminds me there's two there's different versions of of Andy Reid the same way we talk about like Tom Brady and Bill Belichick in different eras of their career. And it kind of reminds me of like when you were a kid and you learned that like Abraham Lincoln lost eight elections before and failed in business twice before he finally won. And it's like Andy Reid went twenty seasons before winning a Super Bowl, and so it's like we can. I'll flip it around and I'll look at Kyle Shanahan and say, it's like, how do you come back from this? And it's like Kyle Shanahan keeps getting there and it's tough to come back, and like there's gonna be a lot of questions about like what they do and what happens with rock Party and all that stuff. I think he absolutely, to me is the dug in starter. I want to hear a lot of nonsense around that. But Andy Reid, like you go back through some dark times with the Eagles and was essentially like escorted out by the Eagles in the end, goes to Kansas City and like, look where we are now.
Speaker 3: Well, there's all these so many people everywhere you look. Every time you turn when you're at Super Bowl weekend, it's somebody that you watch on TV or been watching your whole life. South pal Antonio of ESPN was We shared an elevator up with him up to the auxiliary box here in the stadium this morning, and I told him that I had a memory. And Sal's been covering the NFL forever for ESPN. He covered the Eagles, he was kind of their reporter during their McNabb glory years.
Speaker 4: And I remember, like a cold January, them throwing to.
Speaker 3: Sal when they had lost multiple NFC title games. They're trying to get over the hump, and he was trying to explain, you know how important it was for Philadelphia Andy Reid to finally get to a super Bowl, which they did and they lost the Pats, But that was Reid's legacy for a long time, that he got closed but couldn't get over the top. And now all he does is get over the top. So you say, like he's not going to catch Belichick. Belichick has what six Yeah, okay, I'm just saying he's halfway there, and he's got a Patrick twenty seven years old. Fair Stranger things. Stranger things have happened, That's what That's all I'm gonna And if.
Speaker 7: You don't know Patrick Mahlmes, maybe you do retire. I mean, now it's like, why why stop doing this at all?
Speaker 4: You never know?
Speaker 5: This is a random odds but Ben just being live. We think the British TikTok guy was right. We got to do something about these kickoffs. The whole stadium is so live, it suddenly goes from all this noise to like this great hush we were, you know, right before the opening kickoff. It's so tense, and it's just like, oh, here's a play that doesn't even count, and then there's like forty five seconds of just looking around.
Speaker 6: It's like such a waste of time.
Speaker 5: Overtime is going crazy and we're all excited, like before overtime, the forty nine Yers fans are going wild, and then they line up for the kickoff, and oh wait, here's a play that actually doesn't count unless it's take a forty five second break.
Speaker 6: It's bad. It's legit bad for the sport.
Speaker 5: They got to eliminate the kickoff, or they got to change back the rules to make it happen again.
Speaker 8: I like kick Like I just found a new campaign.
Speaker 4: I like that. Yea, the kickoff. You might as well not called football anymore.
Speaker 3: You gotta have kickoffs, and you got it and talk about you want to talk about something kind of parallel to this, They ruin the on side kick and I know, I know, And this is where people like.
Speaker 4: Tisk tisk, you don't support player safety.
Speaker 3: It's like, calm down, first of ball, these guys coming at you too, Get off your soapbox. Okay, White Night, get off your shiny horse. I don't want to hear. It is one thing to promote player safety and try to figure out ways to make the game safer, but if it comes at the expense of the product in the obvious way it does, like the kickoff and how it's drawing energy out of the game and it makes the game worse, maybe there's another way to go about it.
Speaker 5: And I mean, I'm eliminated. Just started the twenty five yard line. At least we'd have a play.
Speaker 4: Then we're all right, why don't we just make it arena football.
Speaker 8: It's maybe some people like visually arresting about it.
Speaker 7: I mean, and yet like the stadium came to a hush, and I thought that, I mean the stadium experience, like, this is an incredible stadium and it's really well organized, common I thought, like by halftime and I get the fans and have a lot to cheer about, and it got really loud at the end, but it just seemed almost not Super Bowl like to me.
Speaker 4: The first half the game.
Speaker 3: Game was herky jerky early on, not a lot of scoring, there's extra commercials And but I felt the same way, and I thought, and you had a DJ here, DJ cat Eric our restident clubhead.
Speaker 12: It was a cascade where I would give maybe top ten for me personally.
Speaker 6: Did you go out this week? And hear any I had to.
Speaker 12: Invite to the Gronk Beach party. Didn't make it that but it guys busy week.
Speaker 4: I was head. Roberts killed it this week. But ro I was talking to Eric.
Speaker 3: We did a walk around the upper deck here before the game started and Eric was telling me about.
Speaker 4: His club dates, which we can't get into too much detail.
Speaker 12: Yeah, cascade, very good DJ top ten for me, but not my style of music.
Speaker 4: I was going and we didn't get to s though. No, no, and that's that's a shame to know how to quote family emergency.
Speaker 7: Yes, which I always assume is something others.
Speaker 6: Like intrusive than the rams DJ.
Speaker 4: Oh that's that's yeah.
Speaker 8: So if I could take a note for every five second.
Speaker 3: I felt like there have been in recent Super Bowls buildings that were going a little harder, but I think the game flow had a lot to do with that, because in the second half in overtime, the places going off. Speaking of families and crisis or family emergencies, how about the families connected to those guys that ran on the field.
Speaker 4: How do you get onto the field in the Super Bowl in twenty twenty.
Speaker 7: Fe I'll tell you why, though, I think you can because we were It's it's not like there was insane security down here, and that he came out on the sort of back corner end.
Speaker 5: Okay, right, hold that note that they weren't checking to go down to the seats.
Speaker 4: I have more thoughts.
Speaker 3: Here's Kevin Harlan, who has the iconic the guy is drunk. Yeah, so he had an opportunity. I have not heard this. No one's heard this yet. Harlan calling in real time two fans, not one, but two running on the field in the second quarter of Super Bowl fifty eight.
Speaker 11: The ball which plot in the game was to the thirty nine.
Speaker 4: I love Harvey, the.
Speaker 11: Man stopped playing with security all over the interlopers.
Speaker 4: Interlopers. Interlopers is such an underrated he is a poet.
Speaker 3: Underrated. But so here's the thing. How much does it cost to go to a game? The Super Bowl a couple thousand bucks three ten thousand, So somebody dropped the money to get into the building with the sole intention unless it was something that was you know, not premeditated to get arrested.
Speaker 4: That's a wild you don't talk about all time. Bad decisions, right, or maybe the guy was drunk.
Speaker 6: The guy is drunk.
Speaker 7: But I but you're right, unless unless and there was guy there was some other plot.
Speaker 4: I want to hear two guys. It was two guys, two guys, like I mean, it was a conspiracy.
Speaker 7: Maybe you know, it's one of these things like like the Watergate breaking, where like they somehow someone opened a back door and in came these two guys without tickets. They weren't people that spent twenty grand, so that was a little extra entertainment. The other one I'll throw out there is the halftime show. Like tow a tucket touch on the halftime show on this wrap up, it's fine.
Speaker 3: I thought usher was fine. I give it like a solid bee he did. I think one of the moves you see with a halftime show sometimes is if you don't have, you know, a certain extra gear to make it truly special. And very few artists do like Prince for instance, playing Purple Rain in the rain. If you don't have that not to say I don't love yeah, and you get ludicrous out there doing yeah, I'm little John. That was the heart of it. But I think they sometimes you'll see these halftime actually just like throw something against the walls, like all right, throw five hundred people out there at the same time, put everybody on roller skates and then get the band back there, and then have seven hundred more people come from all directions, and it's kind of they're trying to like spam you with. So I would say, while it was an impressive coordination, uh, I would give it, yeah a B.
Speaker 4: I turned to Greg.
Speaker 7: I guess I'm not a big usher person, like I was like Greg, honest question, like was that good?
Speaker 4: I'm not sure. I just don't know what that was.
Speaker 5: And I was like, yes, I think if I think it was good, Like he danced his ass off, you know, it worked a lot harder certainly than.
Speaker 4: His body is looking great.
Speaker 5: He did look he worked hard like my timeline couldn't have loved it more. I think if you were, it actually might be his peak.
Speaker 6: I feel like even though we were in our young twenties.
Speaker 5: I feel like, if you're like thirty five to forty, like your pe, your peak, people loving it.
Speaker 3: It's fine, it's fine, it's fine, it's fine. That's why I saw people calling it said I said it was fine.
Speaker 7: I saw people calling it the best halftime show ever. And that's kind of what threw me. I'm like, that's knows what I.
Speaker 3: Those are simple folk that just see oh there's no but they're just like Usher.
Speaker 6: They're just Usher fans.
Speaker 4: And I don't know, how do you know who said that?
Speaker 6: I think if you like Usher, this was an I'm.
Speaker 4: So certain about everything, Greg, because what is it?
Speaker 5: Because like everyone on Twitter that I'm following that was just talking about it, Like.
Speaker 4: With everyone that you follow on Twitter.
Speaker 6: That's what we're basing it on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh pretty much. This is our super Bowl? Reader going here with our super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's part of the super Bowl, not a spectacle of it all. No, but I thought it was fine. What would you give it? Go ahead, give me a.
Speaker 6: Grade eight, eight out of ten.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, give us another odds.
Speaker 5: And the one quick thing is that the Kelsey bumping reed because I believe he was mad that he wasn't on the field.
Speaker 6: I'm glad it worked out that way.
Speaker 5: Like if any Reid was not a man of his carriage, if he was, let's say, like Mike McDaniel's size going, he's hitting the ground. No, he's not gone, and he's hitting the ground, and it's a bigger deal and it looks worse.
Speaker 3: It's a massive it's a story that maybe wins the Sandwich prople, which we'll get to in a little bit.
Speaker 6: And I'm glad.
Speaker 5: I'm glad it wasn't a big deal. It's football, it's emotional. He shouldn't have done it, but it's also like everyone's fine with it.
Speaker 6: But I saw a J.
Speaker 5: Brown tweet out if that was me, I would have been kicked out of the league, which you know, he's got a a little bit of a tongue in cheek, but I think he has a point.
Speaker 6: If a J.
Speaker 5: Brown did that, if Stefan Diggs did that, if Terrell Owens did that, people's reaction would have been different. So just like remember that and keep that same energy when people that are really passionate and love the game lose it a little bit, like have the same grace for them that you have for Travis.
Speaker 4: I totally agree.
Speaker 8: I think there was license because it was Kelsey.
Speaker 7: And then after the game, you know, Read and Kelsey are up on the stage together and Kelsey's you know, leading the entire crowd in Viva Las Vegas, and it's all it's all very kelsey ish and it works, except like that moment feels lost in time. And I'm sure Read and Kelsey will be fine and call it you know, competitive natural that stuff, but it's like.
Speaker 8: You can't, you can't do that to your own code here.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I'm not trying to be overly, you know, officious about it, but.
Speaker 3: Here's kind of a funny thing lost in all the week long run up to the game where it just gets exhaustive and all these guys are forced to talk over and over and over again. Someone asked, I think it was Mahomes at media night opening night, like are you coach Read's favorite? And they asked Kelsey the same thing, and they asked some of the other guys like who's coach reads favorite, and a lot of the guys are saying Kelsey, And then they asked Mahomes like and he disputed, is like, no, I'm coach Read's favorite like and he he pointed out it was almost like the the uh. Usually it's the younger brother, but in this case, it's the older brother that just gets away with murder, like he doesn't put in and Mahomes to make his point, was saying, like he always shows up just in time, Like I'm in the I'm in the building.
Speaker 4: For hours before he gets there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's always acting up, and he talks too much and all this stuff like Travis Kelcey is, it's kind of spoken out loud around it. She's kind of a pain in the ass, but because he is who he is, that also leads to him getting gray. So yes, it's a good thing Andy didn't take a spill or that would have been a huge story.
Speaker 7: And I don't know how the TV like bead handle the tailor swift thing.
Speaker 4: I'm sure there was a lot of it.
Speaker 7: But I did enjoy the moment when she just like they go up to her, and there was a lot here in the stadium, like she's just chugging a beer like a pro. And I mean she's with the right boyfriend for that, because he can do that as well with a quite a bit of skill. You know who's Jason Kelsey is in our hotel right he walked out probably there right now.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, No, he's going to the Chiefs party.
Speaker 4: True.
Speaker 3: You know when uh, you know when in uh once upon a time in Hollywood when you see the Margot Robbie character Sharon Tate, Sharon Tate and Roman Plansky returning to Lax and it's the slow motion like kind of tracking shot of them and they're the most fabulous like couple possible and it's fame personify. That's what it looked like being right behind Jason Kelcey leaving the hotel on the way to get in our car to come to the stadium. The guy is a rock star, like who is who has enjoyed a better run in terms of celebrity than Travis's brother really both Kelsey brothers. And we saw their producer uh and our former producer TD in the lobby and and uh that was a nice thing too, So I guess we're connected.
Speaker 4: We are.
Speaker 7: It's going to be a tough time for them when we when we create one of the larger upsets in media and win the iHeartRadio Sports podcast there knocking out the Kelsey.
Speaker 4: Got super Bowl three. If we could do that, Ted what.
Speaker 5: He was our producer back when we played that clip with Chris eating the softball pants back in the day.
Speaker 4: He went and got all that the meal.
Speaker 3: It all connects, all right, Let's take one more break and when we come back, some final thoughts and we'll go over our locks and our sandwich props.
Speaker 2: Jeez, Kingdom, we've been fighting for right over there.
Speaker 4: How about a little.
Speaker 7: Vegus lod Vegas.
Speaker 3: There it is cav Skelcey on the field with CBS Jim and by the way, Nance come on Bud like it's it's this media thing, taboo thing to ask him about Taylor, like face to face or even mention her when he's singing. You can make a little joke there like oh maybe maybe Taylor will have you on the next album and then have him Jim a rare drop of the ball and then he forces as a follow up question at the end. Okay, now sing the Beastie Boys song for the seven thousand time.
Speaker 4: We don't need a Jim. It's a missed opporitioneray by a pro and I'm.
Speaker 3: Curious we're CBS because again we didn't get the teleguests. I'm curious how much restraint they showed with Taylor Swift or whether they were like all about it. But we had some boots on the ground. We have a new rising insider on the videographer ranks.
Speaker 4: You want to get into that one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the weekend got going with my son Luke is there.
Speaker 7: You know, I didn't even know this existed, but he has got into something called plane spotting where you you know, we live near Lax and like he there's a number of places you can go and just you post up and the planes are coming like right over you and landing, and so you get incredible footage that there are these like hobbyists in other parts of the world that don't have that access. And like he built this Instagram account and TikTok in YouTube and all this stuff, and it's blowing up, and it blew up hardcore because he's got all this data in like software and apps to know exactly what kind of planes are coming in and you can see from like miles away, and like he captured Taylor Swift's plane landing at Lax before they got up and went to Las Vegas. And he went on TikTok and got like, I don't even know what the number is now, but it was like one point six million at some point, and it's it's at lax plane spotting. It's easy to find on a nucas when eleven year old boy he is thirteen, Yeah, and he's obsessed with it. He does it like five six times a week. But like he caught the Cardinals plane one time and they retweeted him. But no response from Taylor Swift yet, but it did do well with the public.
Speaker 6: That is incredible.
Speaker 5: While you're talking sons, this was Walker's first Super Bowl good one. I got to bring him to and hang out with him ahead of the game, and it's awesome. I mean, we are extremely lucky, but to see his excitement and just for him to be in the building one, I'm that excited, and then to be with him it feels amazing. And then we walk in and like Cynthia's on the JumboTron doing next Gen stats and then Colleen is taking over and was a very big presence of the in stadium presentation and it just feels like what it just feels like, It's it's crazy that it's the Super Bowl and yet it feels small for us. We're very fortunate even just it's one of the great things about being with the NFL is those tickets they give us.
Speaker 6: First of all, it's.
Speaker 5: Like the best perk of all time that you can share it, and then for it to feel like a home game, that it's like our people, and yet it's like presenting the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: It's incredible. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was lucky enough to take two of my friends from way back the day, from elementary school days.
Speaker 4: What do you think they're doing right now? I don't know. It's a long day, supers, a long day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they're back of the hotel probably, and I'll find out we're going to be heading back ourselves in just a few minutes. But I've been able to now to take all my best buddies from New York, my both my parents, my in laws, brothers, sisters.
Speaker 4: It's been it's to share. This experience.
Speaker 3: Is the super Bowl, not just the game, but the whole weekend and being in the city. It's not it's not for the meek of heart in terms of financially, it's a it's crazy expensive to everything around the.
Speaker 4: Super Bowl, and especially you're in Vegas.
Speaker 3: But if you ever, if you're a football fan, if you ever get the chance to experience the Super Bowl once, it's it's unlike anything else.
Speaker 4: It's it's so fun to to share.
Speaker 5: Though, maybe don't do the Vegas one if you're trying not to spend as much money.
Speaker 4: What do we think about Vegas as the super Bowl host?
Speaker 3: It'll be back, it'll be in the Yeah, that in doubt, But what did we think about it?
Speaker 5: They handled it all like, well, it's all intense for our selfish purposes. It's like, you know, it's tough to get a coffee or a breakfast for like less than forty dollars or like a thirty minute wait. So that's a bit of a tricky spot. But to be it all ran well and like it just makes sense.
Speaker 4: That's not the ones run really well.
Speaker 7: And it's like it at least like the very from a reporting angle, like I don't like, don't even know what it's like to be a fan of these things in this way, but like you get to you go go from A to B to C to cover various It was good relatively you sy to do that. I just think in general, like staying in Vegas for like six days is not a great plan as a human.
Speaker 3: Not for long term health or living a long life. All right, I thought it was good as well. It was Saturday, the gridlock was out of control, so yeah, there are elements of it that are just kind of a pain in the ass.
Speaker 4: But I thought the city was really well clipped equipped.
Speaker 3: And it was kind of the thing that I realized when I was thinking about it last night was the energy of everybody wanting to have the best time possible and being in a really good mood is kind of the energy if anyone has ever gone on a guy or a girl trip to Vegas with your friends and you're in that same headspace. So you're taking that type of headspace and then bringing the super Bowl, which is kind of the similar thing, and adding it up.
Speaker 6: It's kind of like endorphin wise, it was intense. It was like as super bowly vegacy as it gets. It was a little intense.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was walking the lobby like after two am last night and the place like it was five pm.
Speaker 4: Like this is an absurd right, basically beautiful, horrible, insane place.
Speaker 3: Everything rolled together. It's the American experience. All right, let's talk about our locks. Greg, you have finished a incredible season, and I just want to say congratulations. I mean, I believe what did we where did we finish? You locked up the Chiefs? I did lock up the Chiefs?
Speaker 4: Did I?
Speaker 3: And I think you finished the season eighteen and four? Does that not nineteen and four?
Speaker 7: I believe that's by far the best record of all time. It simply has to shatter anything else.
Speaker 4: Eighteen weeks and then what four rounds of playoffs?
Speaker 6: Five playoff weeks?
Speaker 5: I got one playoff wrong for sure, start off unbelievable.
Speaker 3: That's going to be tough. You want to talk about. You did repeat his champion. Good for you. You're going for three peete as well.
Speaker 4: I'm the Chiefs. Yes, congratulations to you.
Speaker 3: I closed famously incredibly strong after a slow start, and I think people will remember that. I think I finished after being two games under more than halfway through the season to end up where I did.
Speaker 4: Really a lot of people are talking about it.
Speaker 3: One of the great comebacks ever to finish in second place. I believe, Mark, you made a different type of history. Yes, to get into.
Speaker 7: It, Yeah, I mean I was informed at one point that this was like a month month and a half ago, I had notched nine wins and it was like, just just to let you know. I mean, of course you're probably going to continue to win a couple more games here. That nine would be the lowest win toed locks in the season. And if you think about it, we've been doing locks for what ten years or something like, and there's always been you know, there were four or three people involved, So that's many, many, many participants if you think about it. And I never won again. I finished with nine wins. I don't even know how many lots for the playoffs is Oh, for the play it's got hard to do.
Speaker 4: I think from that.
Speaker 5: It's crazy too, because I think, did you have the Lions and they like have that big lead, and then you have the forty nine ers they have big leads, so it just keeps.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm almost I say, from another angle, another point of view, it's impressive also, it's impressive.
Speaker 8: Go ahead, you people are talking. People are talking about this too, Dan.
Speaker 4: And I'll give yes, people are talking.
Speaker 3: I will say that there was that quiet storm intensity in the first half of the game. I could really feel you Mark needing the forty nine ers to win and Rock Party to fulfill his destiny as an all time story. But you you've been a pro and a trooper and you haven't taken that into the podcast.
Speaker 7: I mean, we have Jay on our production team, who is his entire family is from the Bay Area and he had to pretty much be on his feet working turning away from the game during a lot of it.
Speaker 8: And he is a hardcore Niners fan.
Speaker 7: This this is his whole family, and you know they melt down in a sad fashion and.
Speaker 4: Like he just goes right about his business. That's the pro over there. Yeah, great shout out.
Speaker 3: Shout out to Jay and everyone behind the scenes, led of course by Eric and Matt Schneider and the whole team that's made this made this thing go this week, this weekend and this week in Vegas market.
Speaker 4: That's your class act. That's all I can say.
Speaker 3: Finally, I agree, let's hit What were our sandwich props? A lot of onion hangers. I could tell you mine. I said, Kelsey goes over two hundred yards wins MVP, I believe. And when he was one for one at halftime, I was thinking to myself as I was walking to go to the bathroom at halftime, I was like it's almost harder, like in terms of what of the odds are the odds better that he goes two hundred yards or that he could actually finish a game with one yard? But anyway, he ends up having a nice second half, and but he doesn't approach two hundred yards. So I am out multiple sangles.
Speaker 5: Let's talk kind of even out. I have a feeling I was not close with my Pacheco. We didn't mention him. He ended up with ninety two yards from scrimmage in twenty four carries, twenty four touches, including six catches, two fumbles.
Speaker 6: A couple times were live.
Speaker 5: You could really tell he took the wrong angle, didn't have good instincts.
Speaker 6: Almost seemed a little tight, didn't you.
Speaker 7: Also, like a couple of weeks ago and form you know, America and points beyond that. That's that was the most solid Vegas option out there. Yeah, just in general like that, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so that did not work out well, only one so the.
Speaker 4: Brand doesn't take a hit.
Speaker 3: Smart, Yeah, that's that's a but still Pacheco also cost you sandwiches in yours mark.
Speaker 4: Well, another absurd defeat.
Speaker 7: I said that that some sort of event would occur because it had been too quiet in Vegas that something would happen NFL related that would become a kind of story that we tracked for the next three or four months.
Speaker 8: And no right away like this is gonna saddle us for like.
Speaker 3: I didn't take you up on it because I felt it in the air too. Something would happen this weekend. Man if Andy, like God forbid, he trips on his feet after Travis pumps.
Speaker 4: Him, and that would have been huge. That's it.
Speaker 3: That would have been like Taylor Swift was jumping up and down celebrating, and overtime and ice Spice like falls out of.
Speaker 4: The luxury suite. That would we got to win. That would have been it.
Speaker 3: But we didn't get to win and ice ice spice though Greg it is safe, Greg likes rap any other final thoughts on the game and and where I really I'm it is incredible to and its annoying and maybe repetitive as this Chief's dynasty coming on the heels of the Patriots relentlessly getting to the stage.
Speaker 6: It literally is like one ended and the other.
Speaker 4: Yet bit of quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't be the worst thing to have a few years where things get mixed up, and then like, if the Chiefs really do have the goods the way the Patriots did, then they can maybe come back in in a few years after the league gets you know, let's mix it up a little bit. But at the same time, there's there's I remember when I was young, but it was when I was first becoming a football fan. It was the Niners, and I know the Patriots they went for a three peat as well, But the Niners. I remember when they won back to back in the late eighties and they had a chance against the Giants the NFC title game at the Stick and they lost a I believe a two point game and a Matt barfield goal late that ended their three peet hopes.
Speaker 4: It is almost impossible.
Speaker 3: And I think they won the next year to that it is almost impossible to they didn't.
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, Washington, Yeah, it's almost impossible to win three in a row.
Speaker 3: We were talking Greg off Mike, which I don't know why we would ever do that. We should always talk on Mike that it can't happen, right, they can only go down from here at a certain point, And yet they could.
Speaker 4: There's a path to this team getting better if they make a couple of moves, sure.
Speaker 5: But the weight of it, and we'll have off season to talk about. I think the weight of trying to get that third there's a reason why no one's ever done it, trying to get a fourth in how many years would it would it be? I mean five, four and five, four and six, whatever it is like, that's something the Patriots were. I think the weight of it is it is really you could see it with this team. This team had a weight to it trying to defend it all year. That was difficult. So it's going to be hard. But they're different than any other team since twenty nineteen. And this is my final thing I'll leave with is that in the playoffs, teams trailing by ten or other than the Chiefs, they're six and forty eight drailing by ten in a playoff game, and the Chiefs are five and one.
Speaker 4: In those games.
Speaker 5: I mean, they can do it. They can do it in any sort of way, but they can do it in a very particular way that you you get up on them and it's just never safe. And they're so complete, and this was a different type of team, and that's to me, that's what dynasties, what greatness is are made of? Is that you realize, Man, these football teams, they change so much from year to year. They really change over a three year span that you have to win in totally different ways. But the things that doesn't change is Mahomes and Reed And as long as that's happening, like they can find some other formula to get back here.
Speaker 7: And I yeah, I think actually like this win kind of lifts a lot of weight. I know that it would be there's gonna be a grind to go try to win a third, but it's it's not that they're playing with house money, because I think winning matters to them.
Speaker 4: Winning Super Bowls is going to be just an intensive journey.
Speaker 7: And Andy Reid, I remember before the Sea, you know, we talked on the show about Andy Reid saying everything is reset. They had that rough and tumble training camp where they were getting into fights with each other and it was like, we are resetting the board. And I think that the coach quarterback combination and really the other players on that team as well do as good a job of that as any team in sports. And so they've got twenty four million dollars in kaprum. They sit right in the middle of the league. I know there's gonna be some challenges on that front, but in general they could go fine weapons around Mahomes, you had like you actually went and did this with a with a low octane offense. What happens if you go add like a true starting X wide receiver that brings back some of the playmaking ability around them.
Speaker 4: But start with Chris Jones on the other side of the wall.
Speaker 3: Because you take came out of the picture, Spags is not gonna happen near the same success.
Speaker 4: So there's challenges ahead.
Speaker 3: But we should know not to doubt the Chiefs, who are back to back champions, and they are the bad guys now. When they ran out of the tunnel here the play it sounded like the old Patriots glory days, the way teams would the fans would fill up and get on Brady at these Super Bowls.
Speaker 4: But they loved it.
Speaker 3: In fact, they were underdogs in each of their last three playoff games, won them all and Patrick Mahomes was asked about being an underdog and he said, on the field, just know that the Kansas City Chiefs are never underdogs.
Speaker 4: Know that. Learned it.
Speaker 3: Go against the Chiefs at your own peril, and again thank you to everyone around this podcast, which just completed its eleventh season, which is unbelievable. It's hard to believe we've been doing this since twenty thirteen. This was our eleventh super Bowl on site and that's an amazing thing. And we obviously can't do it alone. So again, thank you to Eric who had an amazing rookie year and a great a great week, Jay and all the team at Radio Row that helped us out. Matt Schneider was pulling a lot of the levers, Thomas Warren, the whole podcast team, and everyone back in Englewood who helped make this happen. We don't do it alone, so thank you to everybody, and thank you to the listener. Where would we be without you guys, no wearing around, Thanks for giving us a great life.
Speaker 6: Thanks to everyone who come and said hi this week.
Speaker 5: It made you know, I felt like we're getting pop that ever let's go, That lifts the energy absolutely.
Speaker 3: All right, we're taking a week off. We'll be back in a bit. Uh and until then, you know what you gotta do.
Speaker 4: Heed the call.