Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong and Joe, Katty.
Speaker 2: Armstrong and Jetty and he Armstrong and Letty.
Speaker 3: Images of the homemade explosive devices authority say shamsu Dingjabbar brought to Bourbon Street the night of the New Year's terror attack. Surveillance video shows the suspect planting a pair of coolers they are on the street early that morning. Authorities say inside they discovered a steel galvanized pipe with two end caps surrounded by two dozen rolls of nails, along with the radio controlled receiver. They also say they found jars of flammable liquid inside the truck the suspect used to barrel into those Bourbon Street crowds, killing fourteen people and injuring dozens more.
Speaker 1: Okay, I heard that last night when I was watching ABC News. I got a question about that. But this is what the FBI had to say. This is not a terrorist event. What it is right now is there improvised explosive devices that was found and we are working on confirming if this is a viable device or not. Okay, So I'm a little confused by that. Also, so I have a lot of questions here. So I heard that on ABC News and I thought, Okay, if I put a bunch of crap in a bottle, nails and other stuff that could cut you and hurt you and stuff like that, and I got a cell phone with some batteries taped to it, does that count as a bomb? Even though it might not. I couldn't have done anything with it. I mean, they didn't specifically say that the guy could have set that it would have worked, that it wasn't just a crazy person throwing it together. So maybe you know if it was or not. But they didn't say.
Speaker 4: Reports i've heard said that he was shot down before he could detonate them. I have not heard, which does not disprove anything, but I have not heard anything. But yes, they could have exploded, okay, but I might have missed that.
Speaker 1: The person there just said at the end they're not sure if they were viable or not. I don't know what that.
Speaker 4: That is the same FBI person who said this is not a terrorism a terrorist event, which is unbelievably irresponsible, and I would say inexplicable, but I'm about to explicit because it's disgusting.
Speaker 1: A guy with a truck that has an ISIS flag on it, drives through a crowd. He's been to Egypt. All his website stuff says he there's a video of him you can look at of him swearing allegiance dices this isn't a terrorist event.
Speaker 4: And he slaughters a bunch of people. That is today's FBI apparently, or just ALTHEA Duncan, the FBI assistant special Agent.
Speaker 1: Charge that part of the country. That's shocking. I didn't like Trump forcing Ray out before his term is up. I'm fine with it now. I mean that if that's Ray's FBI, that's crazy. Yeah, yeah, it is. It.
Speaker 4: It's another example of what we were talking about yesterday with the absolutely horrific Muslim immigrants raping children in Britain's story and the cover up of it by law enforcements, social services, local government, federal government in Britain. And this is it's the same motivation that would have the FBI say, and you know, I've had the privilege to, you know, go on various ride alongs and talk at length to investigators of very sorts, including murder investigators.
Speaker 1: And the one sacred.
Speaker 4: Rule is thou shalt not leap to conclusions because that cloud's your judgment.
Speaker 1: You've got to take in all of the evidence and.
Speaker 4: For her like and that was the next day to say, this is not a terrorist event. That is spectacularly irresponsible. What would motivate something so irresponsible, Well, that pathetic need to oh, you know what, to cause an anti Islamic backlash or whatever the hell it is.
Speaker 1: Well, I I'm not worried about terrorism. Like in my own life, I've never been afraid of it. This is from Meet the Press on Sunday. The country is on edge. We're mocking that the country is not on edge. I traveled around. I was in Washington, d C. The next day, hours after this happened. In the news broke. There were people staying in line for every freaking thing that was going on. Nobody seemed to be on edge. We're all fine at the same time. There's no reason to downplay it either. Just tell me what is And clearly this guy was inspired by ISIS. He might be a nut job. I don't know. I don't know if he directly talked to anybody in ISIS. Let's find out, right, he is.
Speaker 4: A dead ender and a loser who was angry about life, and he latched onto a particular ideology that justified him hurting people, which is what he wanted to do. He was hurting, so he wanted to hurt. That's the description of virtually all of these guys in school shooters or whatever. But yeah, again for the FBI, you don't say that sort of thing unless you have a particular motivation, which I think I've already laid out. But I find that absolutely obscene. Another aspect of this that's gotten a fair amount of attention is and I wish I had it in front of me.
Speaker 1: I got so much stuff.
Speaker 4: But is all the news media that reported that an inanimate object had done the killing in New Orleans pickup truck plows into crowd, Jills twelve or whatever, Ford f one point fifty plowed into the They wouldn't say a person. They wouldn't say an Isis devotee. They wouldn't say even a murderer. The inanimate object did it, which is bizarre, but is also explained by then they don't have to get into the person and their motivation, and we don't want to have an anti Islamic backlash.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, I saw a tweet from Laura Logan, who you know, formerly of sixty Minutes, who I often find a little off the rails in her comments nowadays. But she said, after decades of working with the you know, following the news and questioning the FBI and everything like that, she said, they never say anything in the early days. You can't get a word out of them about anything. For the person to come out and specifically say this was not to make a declarative sentence is really something the FBI doesn't and then to have it be the opposite of what everybody's seeing with their own eyes is extraordinary. It is.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's troubling, and troubling isn't a good enough word.
Speaker 1: It's worries activist by far.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, I would agree. I would agree it's incredibly troubling. And then I want to get into the bigger picture. Maybe next segment. But there was one more just it probably doesn't matter, but an incredibly annoying note.
Speaker 1: And I didn't watch the Sugar Bowl.
Speaker 4: I didn't watch much football other than my fighting line, I bravely beating down the favorite game Cocks. Pardon me of South Carolina, get a better name, South Carolina.
Speaker 1: Did you see the Oregon spanking that happened. Holy crap, that was one of the most extraordinary things in college boards. I've ever seen the undefeated, far and away number one Oregon. They were down thirty eight to nothing in the first quarter. Oh by the mighty Ohio Ones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I uh, And I'd watched Oregon summ and they looked like an NFL style off.
Speaker 1: I was astounded by the game. Well anyway, yeah, I've got more to the way the so many players leave before the bowl games happened. Which team had it had seventeen players that didn't play in their game? They opted out, as they say, that's I don't know.
Speaker 4: They got to fix that somehow. But anyway, back to terrorism, I don't think you can in America anyway. We can talk about that later. So it's the All State Sugar Bowl, and the CEO of All State decided he needed to and I'm sorry. The Sugar Bowl was in New Orleans the day after the terrorist slayings on the street. They postponed it by a day, and then the All State to CEO, Tom Wilson, decided he should make a statement before the game on the TV.
Speaker 5: And here it is welcome to the All State Sugar Bowl Wednesday, tragedy struck the New Orleans community. Our prayers with the victims and their families. We also need to be stronger together by overcoming an addiction to divisiveness and negativity. Join All State, working in local communities all across America to amplify the positive, increase trust, and accept people's imperfections and differences.
Speaker 1: Together we win well. First of all, the leader of Vices has said, I.
Speaker 4: Was brought to tears by the head of All State saying we should not be so divisive. He's right, good God, And to me, a tragedy is an earthquake, not a terrorist slaying of innocence.
Speaker 1: I'd say that's a horrible crime. Why did he speak at all? He could have just said nothing. I mean, there is no need for him to come out and give a speech. But then he does come out and give a speech before the game. What was his goal there?
Speaker 4: Well, and I could think of a dozen approaches better than Hey, we're too divided. We got to there's too much negativity. That's the problem. That's why a sworn adherent of issis slaughtered a bunch of innocence in a violent and horrific manner, including children. We have too much divisiveness. What the hell was that?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I you know, we do this sort of thing for a living, and I heard that, and I thought, I don't know what his intention was with that message, with that crafting of that message. Play that one more time.
Speaker 5: Michael, Welcome to the All States Sugar Bowl. Wednesday, tragedy struck the New Orleans community. Our prayers are with the victims and their families. We also need to be stronger together by overc coming in addiction to divisiveness and negativity. Join all state working in local communities all across America to amplify the positive, increased trust, and accept people's imperfections and differences.
Speaker 1: Together we win. I thought he praised the Incadella's rights.
Speaker 6: We spent too much time thinking about our difference is I thought he was going to go with some sort of But we decided to play the game because the players and fans and we need something to root for or something like that.
Speaker 4: The people of New Orleans have been such great hosts. Were horrified and saddened by the terrible thing they've endured, but we've decided to play something route that s.
Speaker 1: I should use the word back to the attack itself. One of the first things I thought was because the reason I bought an electric car is not because I care about climate change, because they're so freaking fast and it's really fun. And one of the first things I thought is he picked that lightning f one fifty electric truck because of the power of acceleration. It has more than any other truck you could possibly drive if you want to hit a bunch of people and.
Speaker 4: Kill him that. I don't know if he does, but it's true. Just keep this in mind. Clip seventy four.
Speaker 1: Michael, this is not a terrorist event. That's right there. You have it.
Speaker 4: That's the Federal Bureau of Investigation investigating. You're in good hands, folks.
Speaker 1: Who, as Laura Logan pointed out, only ever says we're still in the process of investigating, so we have nothing to say at this time always, but in this instance they decided to say something, and it was that how do you explain it?
Speaker 4: We got more on the ways to hear after a word from our friends that prize picks Michael, Is that correct?
Speaker 1: All right? Great? So the football playoffs are just starting.
Speaker 4: This is not the college Fellows obviously, but Prize Picks is an easy, fun way to get involved and capture all that excitement.
Speaker 1: This is not the college felas I like that very home had fun. You can now win up to a thousand times your money on Price Picks with these amazing games and the amazing plays in there. Is there going to be more or less on all the stats. I'm looking forward to starting to dig into it before the weekend.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it can be as few as two players or more. And Prize Picks invented the flex play, which means you can still cash out if your lineup is not perfect. You can double your money even if one of your picks does not hit. Prize Picks now offers MasterCard for quick and easy deposits into your account this sports season. Download the app today. Use the code Armstrong to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollar lineup. You don't have to win, you get the fifty dollars bonus instantly when you play five dollars again, remember that code Armstrong.
Speaker 1: It's the Prize Picks app. Prize Picks run your game. I just see Trump doubled down on taking Greenland. I think Greenland might actually become a sting.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, Greenland's like in the Danish You're like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: H huh. We got more, by the way, Armstrong the only thing by being the oldest president. I know more world leaders than any one of you ever met in your whole goddamn wife, and I know how they see not a joke. Oh yeah, So somebody stuck on microphone in the face of that old man for some reason. I don't know what's going on there. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, the senile, bitter old president who's trying to do as much damage to the Trump administration in advance as he can, you know, blocking off loyal oil leases and stuff.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about that down the roadeen days.
Speaker 4: I'd sell you what I've waited on more people at this restaurant than you have in your goddamn life, say the waiters and waitresses of Washington, d C. Jack, where you just were. The Washingtonian, which is read in the self obsessed Nations Capital, has a piece about how DC restaurants have long been like politically neutral spaces. Obviously, to cite the cliched example, you got Reagan coming in, you got timp O'Neil coming in right, so you treat everybody with respectfully.
Speaker 1: But that changed during the Trump years.
Speaker 4: Restaurant owners became much more politically outspoken. They were part of the resistance, and Trump officials became social pariahs when dining out. You remember several incidents involving Ted Cruz and Sarah Huckabee Sanders, who got kicked out of a restaurant in West Lexington, Virginia. Homeland Secretary Kirsten Nielsen's dinner at a DC Mexican Mexican restaurant was interrupted as they yelled shame Steven Miller tossing eighty dollars worth of takeout sushi after somebody cursed him and flipped him off at a sushi place, somebody on the staff. But anyway, in the Washington Washingtonian, anyway, you got all these restaurant tours and waiters and bartenders saying we're not gonna be silent, We're not gonna be quote unquote civil.
Speaker 1: Let's see, here's this guy. What does he do.
Speaker 4: He's a DC restaurant. He's a manager at a club, big club in DC. If you're just going out for a nice dinner at your anniversary or birthday, and God forbid, RFK.
Speaker 1: Junior is sitting s to you.
Speaker 4: Now you're going to be dealing with whatever repercussions happened from that. He's saying, all this restaurants to have is justified in cursing these people out and yelling at him and kicking him out.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll see if this actually happens or not. Like I said, bumping around d C, it was quite a bit different than the last time I was in DC when Trump got elected, he was being treated like a regular president. I mean, the number of Trump shirts, hats, pins, inauguration forty seventh president stuff that I saw. There was nothing like that in twenty seventeen when I was there for the inauguration. Right. Yeah.
Speaker 4: In fact, that was my question. I wonder if this is just big talk by little people.
Speaker 1: I'd be my guess.
Speaker 4: Here's a woman who's a server and manager at a saloon on Capitol Hill. Quote, people who are a lot more motivated the first time around to do these kinds of shows of passion. This time around, there's kind of a sense of defeat and acceptance. But I hope that people will still do stand up to this administration and tell them their thoughts on their misbehavior as they're trying to get a ham sandwich at lunchtime.
Speaker 1: Here's my biggest question about restaurants, DC restaurants because I had this and I tweeted it out and it's the most controversial tweet I've ever put out ever. It got more responses than anything I've ever tweeted this question. So I mean it in Gordon Ramsay's restaurant, which I wish I'd had spent the time to look into what it costs to eat there, because it's the most expensive meal I've ever paid for for me and my two kids, partially because there was the we've added to twenty percent already thing that rustaurants are doing sometimes now, and so service charge is that what they call it? Earth It just said, yeah, we've we've added a twenty percent service charge to your bill, and then it's got the line for the tip, and I thought, do I tip on top of this or not? And I tweeted that out. I googled it and tweeted it and same result either way. Plenty of people say, absolutely, that's not the tip. You need to tip on top of that. You're screwing your server or one hundred percent, that's the tip, No way you should give any more money. I still don't know what the answer is on that. But obviously, if they add twenty percent and I didn't know they were going to do that, or I wouldn't have gone. If they add twenty percent and I'm supposed to tip twenty percent, that's forty percent on top of my meal, that's a no go. That's a second group. That is the tip. No freaking way I'm eating there. A whole bunch of people adamantly said no, that goes to the restaurant, that the server will get nothing, and you absolutely need to tip on top of that. Maybe that's true, but I'll never eat at a restaurant that does that. You can't pay forty percent top your bill. Nobody's doing that. That's ridiculous. It is ridiculous. I don't know what the correct answer is either, or if it varies from restaurant to restaurant. If you know, text line four one five two nine five KFTC. But what the hell Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 4: A lot of people this year texted me their holiday card, and that.
Speaker 1: Is I just want to say, that is unacceptable. I want you. I won't even look at those. I would rather have no card. And in fact, that is what you sent. No card. I did not send a holiday card. A card is a card. I want something I can take out of the envelope. Look at Ask my wife, who are these kids?
Speaker 6: Never figure it out between us and then throw it in the garbage.
Speaker 1: Christmas, more than.
Speaker 6: Anything, is about killing trees, and I want that sacrifice.
Speaker 1: When I got the card, texting a holiday card, that is the least I could do, as the saying goes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that brought me down. And it's because Judy and I cannot get our act together to send out a holiday card. I'm glad I'm not the only one because it hurts my psyche every year.
Speaker 1: Well and mostly it's that we don't think of it until November thirty seventh, you know, Yeah, I just I don't, and and I'm a worse human being for it. I admit that. Yes, Michael, maybe this is the ear. It's not.
Speaker 4: I bought Christmas cards, I bought New Year's cards, and none of them got.
Speaker 1: Out well, and then it made that critical first step. Well yeah, but that you could pull off fairly late in the game. But if you're going to do the big family photo and have that turned into a card. It takes a little planning ahead of time. And I feel like those of you and I have many friends workers stuff like that. I believe you're only sending them to me as a reminder of how much better you are than me. I feel like it's just an attempt to make me feel bad. It's a flex. It's absolutelyness. Look how organized we are. We got family photos, turn them into a card, know your address, and got them in the mail in time. So take a you know, looking looking forward to getting the same from you. Oh you couldn't. Didn't get that together, too unorganized. Oh sorry to hear that couldn't be troubled.
Speaker 4: M No, all right, So I love this and this this story why the economy is trouncing Europe's It's from Edward Cannard in the Wall Street Journal. But it reminds me so much of that Twitter thread we brought you last year, and I wish I had bookmarked it because it was so terrific. It was by your brit who is explaining the difference between Britain and the United States culturally speaking.
Speaker 1: And we'll refer back to that in a second.
Speaker 4: But this this piece opens with, and I love this that economists never cite one of the most significant statistics about the US economy.
Speaker 1: And we'll get to that. But according to.
Speaker 4: Data released last week by the OECD, the Organization for Economic I sound like Joe Biden Organization for Economic Corporation and Cooperation and Development. Only about twelve percent of Americans score at the highest levels on internationally administered academic tests twelve percent, while thirty four percent score at the lowest levels, nearly three lower scores for every high score. Germany's figures are nearly even, not three to one low to high eighteen at the highest level, twenty percent at the lowest. Put another way, Germany's ratio of high to low scores is almost three times Americas. Scandinavia's is five times better, Japan's seven times better. These enormous differences, there's twist, have profound economic implications. With more talent and fewer needy people. Is it any wonder that northern European countries can afford more generous welfare policies than their neighbors to the south. Yet you're right to be Yet America excels relative to Europe. Despite these enormous differences. While Europe has created fourteen companies worth more than ten billion dollars in the last half century, with about four hundred billion dollars of market value in total, I realize that's a lot of money. Uh, fourteen companies worth more than ten billion dollars, Americans have created nearly two hundred and fifty such companies, or thirty trillion dollars, not forty four hundred billion.
Speaker 1: And of course that is an amazing stat right it is.
Speaker 4: It's mind blowing that success is driven up America's middle class incomes the median disposable US household income income.
Speaker 1: To inequality income inequality.
Speaker 4: The median disposable US household income, according to the OCOECD, is now twenty five percent greater than the median in Brainy Brainy Germany, and sixty percent greater than the median household in Italy, for instance.
Speaker 1: Do you have it for Great Britain? Now they don't have that. It's interesting just because Charles CW. Cook of The National Review, who is a brit who has moved to the United States, constantly says Americans have no idea how rich they are compared to Europeans. The average American, right, and a poor American now compared to a poor American, say eighty years ago.
Speaker 4: Is vastly wealthier, vastly, But that's useless politically to point that out.
Speaker 1: Grievance gets people to the polls. Anyway.
Speaker 4: Europeans incomes would be even lower compared to Americans if they weren't free riding on American innovation, defense spending, and higher drug prices which instead of ize research. Oh. I was talking to a good buddy of mine who's a doctor the other day, and he was talking about how there's no money in antibiotics, and so the the big pharma companies that are so you know, demonized in reasonable fashion, justifiedly in some cases, but there's no incentive for them to innovate and come up with new antibiotics. And he's he happened to be a urologist, and he said, we used to run into these unconquerable infections like once every six months, and now it's once a week really, and he was talking about a hospital setting. But yeah, the infections they fight and fight but can't beat are becoming more and more and more common. As the then to get off on a not to get off on a too long at tangent, But as people use antibiotics for things they don't need them for, or take them just until they feel better, which is like a super power training program for microbes. It's selecting only those that can survive the first seventy percent of your treatment and turning the loose on the world. Now, if you'd finished your treatment, you'd have kill them all. But this is rampant in Africa for instance. Anyway, why do you.
Speaker 1: Stop taking your antibiotics once you start feeling better? I mean, I just you don't feel like you need medicine anymore. I don't know. I mean I'm a slacker, but I take the full ten days or whatever. Yeah, do that? Friends, do that?
Speaker 4: Of course, you're up against tens of millions of Africans who don't, and they sell antibiotics over the counter there.
Speaker 1: But anyway, we'll all be dead soon.
Speaker 4: To get back to the article, So Europe would be even worse off if they didn't piggyback on American technological developments in military spending that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: And here's the point.
Speaker 4: The outside success of America's talented entrepreneurs doesn't stem from their superior intelligence or even education. It comes from working at companies like Google and Microsoft and Apple that mind the technological frontier and expose employees to alluable knowledge, insights, and opportunities.
Speaker 1: That's absolutely true.
Speaker 4: But unlike Europe, the enormous success of American entrepreneurs motivated an army of talented Americans and motivates them us every day to get valuable on the job, training, work longer hours, take risks, and succeed. A small amount of success bubbles up from large pools of failure.
Speaker 1: And we have two things.
Speaker 4: Number one we have and this is critical and if we ever lose this, God help us.
Speaker 1: We have a culture of let's try it.
Speaker 4: Europe and Britain in particular, and this was the Twitter thread that I thought was so great, has a culture of you'd better not to fail. It would be really embarrassing, it'd be humiliating. You're much better off not trying. And we have a what the.
Speaker 1: Health culture that we're trying to stamp out as fast as we can, with places like California where you have so many different regulations and hoops to jump through that people say I'm going to try it, and then you go down to the office to get the various permits and you think, ask screw it. Yeah, absolutely true.
Speaker 4: And the other thing is, and they point this out and I came across it was it was a little long and dry to present on the show, but it was a discussion of.
Speaker 1: Was it Denmark one? Are you your super oil.
Speaker 4: Rich Scandinavian countries and their tax policies and how they have driven all of their entrepreneurs out of the country and now it's just oil revenue. But the other point they make in the journal is that in Europe, even more than the US, which has a very progressive tax code, but if you're successful in America, we punish you by raising your taxes.
Speaker 1: If you're a little successful.
Speaker 4: We punish you a little bit, if you're moderately successful, we punish you moderately. And if you're very very successful, we punish you pretty badly by taking more of your money.
Speaker 1: In Europe, it's extreme.
Speaker 4: I mean, they treat you like you or a child murderer if you come up with a brilliant idea that succeeds brilliantly. And what they're urging is that let's not lose those two things.
Speaker 1: Number One, let's.
Speaker 4: Continue to be a what the hell, let's try it society because we're the beacon to the world in innovation. And number two, let's not demonize people who have a great idea, take a risk, bust their ass and succeed with it. That would choke us to death.
Speaker 1: I know, I just I'll never understand how you get to the Bernie Sanders Elizabeth Warren mindset or a lot of college students were billionaires. Shouldn't exist? How do you not understand what you're saying? Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 4: I have an idea that people love, and if I sold it to one person, I'd make a dollar.
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: Okay, same idea, more people hear about it, one hundred people hear about it. I make one hundred dollars than one hundred thousand people. Now a billion people have heard about my idea. They all like it. I make a dollar per Now I'm a billionaire. I shouldn't exist. Explain that to me, please, Chay Marx Sanders Warren guovera, you idiotic college kid.
Speaker 1: You stupid effing moros. Oh I'm sorry. I'd vowed to be more restrained in.
Speaker 3: The new year.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, it's not an interesting Gallup poll right at the end of the year. But people's attitudes about all kinds of things about their own lives, which you can compare and contrast see if you fit in. And also, I've decided to embarrass myself as a punishment to try to get myself to better behavior. I'm embarrassing myself today and I'm going to do on a daily basis. Wow, I don't know. It's a carrot and stick. I'm going with this stick. I'm going with the stick approach with myself to try to make my behavior better. Self flagellation exactly. We'll explain that coming up, among other things. Stay here first. The way that I'm going to embarrass myself into changing my behavior, I could lap, and I'm doing it today. I was looking through my closet to try to find my large dress shirts that actually fit, as opposed to my medium dress shirts that I was wearing throughout most of last year that fit at the time. And I thought, you know what, I'm gonna wear my medium dress shirt that gaps in the front and show my bare chest because they're too small for me. And and so every time I look in the mirror, I see it so that I need better at home, I get it out in the world. At work, I'm embarrassed to walk around in this shirt. I find myself hunching my shoulders to try to get my shirt to go together. Oh, I know that move, but I'm going to do it. I'm just going to embarrass myself until I finally come correct.
Speaker 4: Wow, that's an interesting lever to pull. But whatever works for you, see if it works.
Speaker 1: My brother was talking about a winter coat that he's got that he really likes. That he can't come with the foot of getting the zipper to come together, but he's still holding out hope. We all do it so pathetically, we all do it. That is correct. So also seeing my family, we got on the conversation about the pandemic. As we're at the five year anniversary mark, it was five years ago, we'll start hearing the dates five years ago the first case was seen in wherever it was, Washington State or whatever. And in March we'll have the five year anniversary of them canceling the March Madness and I'll never forget in my life. When they announced at the school they're calling it off for a month, and everybody was like, why I'd just how could that possibly happen? We all know how it played out. But so this gallop pole is I think mostly about just where we are psychologically since the pandemic, because it's comparing Americans' satisfaction with aspects of their life twenty nineteen versus end of twenty four Oh interesting coincides with pre pandemic and several years you know after most of it's over. Depends on where you live, as back in Kansas, where the pandemic was completely over in twenty one, as opposed to living in California, where the pandemic ended for some people hasn't ended yet still earn masks. But I thought these numbers were Some of these numbers were quite amazing. Your personal health. Fifty four percent of Americans were satisfied with their personal health in twenty nineteen, over half, and it's now forty one, a thirteen point crop. So is that just like a psychological thing? Are that many people less healthy? I don't know, I don't know. It's it's your own attitude. It's not like a measurable number. Yeah, I'm shocked by that. How about this one theory? Your family life a ten point drop from pre pandemic till now from seventy six percent, which I'm glad to hear, was that I three quarters of people satisfied with their family life. It's now down to sixty six percent, two thirds. Huh, how would you explain that.
Speaker 4: The only thing I can offer to you, and I was going to get into this at some point, is a study that was done that showed, well, there are a couple of studies out lately. One that is about how girls have not bounced back academically and now are falling behind boys in several subjects in a way that was the reverse of the trend for a very very long time. And a sister bit of information, which is that neurologist say girls' brains aged during the pandemic in a way they've never seen before. Wow, the lack of socializing was crippling to the neurological development of young girls.
Speaker 1: One more example of how the.
Speaker 4: COVID eer restrictions were not only unsupportable at the time but absolutely did obscene damage to our young people.
Speaker 1: Well, that could have something to do with this number, then, Oh, I'm sorry, that's what I was working toward. If developmentally speaking, it's been it was that devastating to young women, that that might be a lot of that. Sure, my wife dumped me during the pandemic, so my family life is less than it was before. And there were a lot of divorces during the pandemic, So maybe that's some of it. I don't know, But ten point drop, I wonder some of the other big drops. Your community is a place to live A ten point drop six people were satisfied with where they lived now fifty one percent because of the way it handled the pandemic. Or just is everybody's overall attitude worse? Does that explain all these everybody's just got a worse attitude in general?
Speaker 4: You're a in my mind, I was just going to say, Or is it just that that whole period pissed everybody off and we're in a foul mood. When you're in a foul mood, flowers smell bad, meals taste bad.
Speaker 1: You don't care? True, true, if things aren't going your way, a beautiful, nice day and a cute puppy is annoying that god damned thing out of my way. Yeah, that's almost got to be it now that I think about it. For instance, your job or the work you do was an almost double digit drop and people being satisfied. So I think it might just be we just aren't. We're just have a worse attitude. It somehouse killed our will to live or our ability to enjoy life. This is a little partisan, but I can't resist.
Speaker 4: I also think that the folks that have been in charge for a while on the progressive side of things, there are things. Their message is, this is a bad country. You're a bad person, You're defined by your race. I'm judging you harshly. I'm going to shout you down if I disagree with you. It's not a growth.
Speaker 1: Let's do it.
Speaker 4: Positive American spirit on the progressive side gotta get rid of it.
Speaker 1: If you miss an hour, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty