Speaker 1: Hey, this is Stephen Ferdick.
Speaker 2: I'm the pastor of Elevation Church and this is our podcast. I wanted to thank you for joining us today. Hope this inspires you. Hope it builds your faith. Hope it gives your perspective to see God is moving in your life. Enjoy the message, and I want to share a brief Christmas message.
Speaker 1: With you today.
Speaker 2: And don't get me wrong, just because I said brief, for me, brief means something different than it may mean at other churches. But don't want to take too long. I understand the demands of this season, and so let me just share with you from Luke chapter one, verse sixty seven through seventy nine, his father Zechariah was filled with the Holy Spirit and prophesied, Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel, because he has come to his people and redeemed them. He has raised up a horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David. As he said, through his holy prophets of long ago, salvation from our enemies and from the hand of all who hate us, show mercy to our ancestors, and to remember his holy covenant, the oath he swore to our Father Abraham to rescue us from the hand of our enemies, and to enable us to serve him without fear, and holiness and righteousness before.
Speaker 1: Him all our days.
Speaker 2: And you, my child, would be called a prophet of the most High, for you will go on before the Lord to prepare the way for him to give his people the knowledge of salvation through the forgiveness of their sins, because of the tender mercy of our God, by which the rising sun will come to us from heaven. Somebody say, here comes Heaven. Tell your neighbor, watch out here it comes. Forty percent of you participated when I asked you to touch your neighbor. You don't like them, look at him and say, here it comes. The priest Zechariah is speaking of the prophet John the Baptist, and he's now talking about Jesus, whom John the Baptist was pointing to. He said that he will shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death, in the shadow of death, in that place of despair, to guide our feet into the path of peace. That's my title for today, the path of peace. And I won't make you talk to your neighbor. One more time after this, But look at him and say, you look like you need some of that peace that he's preaching about.
Speaker 1: We have a.
Speaker 2: Challenge today to try to calm our minds and receive the message.
Speaker 1: My brother comes to church. He's here right now.
Speaker 2: He comes to church whenever he can, lives in New Jersey's He's like, I bet you.
Speaker 1: Love preaching at Christmas.
Speaker 2: Everybody's in the spirit, And I was like, no, it's not my favorite time to preach because people are so stressed out and you have to work three times as hard because it's stuffy. Sometimes people brought a relative and they don't want that relative to see how they normally act in church, and so they tense up and then they've got so much going on. It's actually you would think it would be, you know, Jesus's birthday would be an easy occasion to preach, but I actually find it more challenging, not less, because it's just stress levels are higher. Happy Birthday, Jesus, we created chaos and commercialism that drives us all to the brink of insanity. In your name, Thank you for being born the spirit of season. But I always wished as a preacher that I could have a metaphysical power to read your mind. I would think that would be so helpful to do my job if I could see your stress level, or even if you had a number like the beds that have the sleep number. What if I could see your stress number on today, I could. I could do it so much better as I can see, Like, are you at a seven or a three? Matter of fact, right now, what would you give your stress level?
Speaker 1: One to ten? Just in this moment?
Speaker 2: So I'm hearing a three? Who said three? You're not old enough to have a three stress level. You're supposed to be like eighty before you realize that all the crap you worry about isn't worth worrying about. And then you can have a three stress level where you just don't care. I can't wait to get old and just not care. That'd be great. You're too young for that. But somebody said ten. Did you say ten? And I'm not going to ask you why? In fact, I don't even have to. All right, here's what we'll do. We'll do another one real quick. I know this is personal, but at every location, play long, just close your eyes, get the thing on your mind that is the greatest source of stress in your life at this very moment, and you better not be picturing me.
Speaker 1: All right, get it on your mind.
Speaker 2: What is the single greatest source of stress in your life? Will broaden it a little bit, not in this very very moment, but in this season of your life. All right, got it? Now open your eyes. You're gonna be shocked. But I know what you were thinking. I know what you're I know I know this much. I know that the thing that you thought of fell into one of the following four categories. Okay, it was either related to a place, a pace, a problem, or.
Speaker 1: A person or maybe people.
Speaker 2: People's just in general, all of them, every last one of them, just human beings, Homo sapiens. So it's either a place that you're going after this or even for some people, church can be stressful. It can be stressful to I'm sure it's stressful to come to elevation. I'm sure it's you know, if you've never been here, especially because it's confusing because they got like violins and cellos on the stage, but then they start shooting laser beams and it's mixed messaging, like what kind of church is this? A white church? Black church? It's a traditional church. Yes, yes to all of the above. It's a kind of church where you can't figure out what kind of church. It's a good news to all people kind of church. But some of the stressful places that we will go this Christmas season, it can be a place. If you have to fly, certainly understand your dread for that experience. Just walk through the airport telling yourself over and over again, I'm not a human, I have no rights, and you'll be okay.
Speaker 1: The pace of life.
Speaker 2: I hear people mention this a lot doing busy um busy.
Speaker 1: Busy, busy, busy, busy. I'm busier than the one one arm wall paper hanger. I said that to me the other day.
Speaker 2: That's weird busier in a three legged cat trying to cover up his poop on ice.
Speaker 1: Somebody said to me, run.
Speaker 2: Around like a chicken with my head cut.
Speaker 1: Off, so violent. All I said is, how are you doing. You're like decavitating chickens. So it's like the pace of life.
Speaker 2: Understand that if you've been running people everywhere, you've been like an unpaid uber driver for a thirteen year old.
Speaker 1: I understand. I feel you.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it comes down to a problem in your life that is persistent, and sometimes it comes down to one that you're just pushing through. Right now, a lot of people listening to me preach right now are having a hard time focusing with their minds because of the pain in their box or what can be even worse, somebody that you love that you can't do anything to comfort them, and that can be difficult. And really the fourth category that I mentioned people, that's really the whole thing, which is why when I asked you to imagine in your mind the source of your stress, the greatest source of your stress, I was very clear I said imagine it because some of you would have started pointing if I would have let you, which is a bad idea. Like some of you are are sitting next to what you perceive to be the source. See, you should look really confused right now, is my advice. Now, I think it's important before we begin a discussion on the path of peace to try to talk about the source of stress, because whatever you identify as the source of your determines where you will seek your peace. Amen, I'll say that again, whatever you say this is the source of my stress that regulates and determines where you seek your peace.
Speaker 1: And so the.
Speaker 2: Christmas story, of course, comes along and challenges us in all of those ways that we experience stress and pressure. Christ is born to challenge us as it relates to our expectation of peace. The Jewish people had a very particular expectation of the kind of peace that the Messiah would bring.
Speaker 1: Zechariah states it.
Speaker 2: Very clearly and paints a picture of the kind of peace that the Jewish people were looking for God to bring through the prophesied Messiah. It features such expectations as mentioned in verse seventy four. He says that this Messiah will rescue us from the hand of our enemies.
Speaker 1: Notice the word.
Speaker 2: From the expectation of peace for the Jewish people is that God would deliver them from their circumstances, from their oppression, from their being marginalized, from their poverty, from their despair, and from their darkness. It was surprising then for me to see the shift that Zechariah made in verse seventy nine, where he said that the rising sun will shine on those living in darkness and in the shadow of death. And so it represents a shift in perspective that God does not always rescue me from Sometimes he visits me in my trouble, and for so many years I have thought that the thief of my peace was other people, or certain places, or the schedule of my life. Which is kind of funny because I'm the one who said yes to all that stuff that I'm stressed about, and so now I'm asking God to take away the things that I committed to. And I've tried so long, you know, to arrange my life in such a way that I would no longer experience those stressful events and stressful people.
Speaker 1: And if God would just change them, and if everybody would just.
Speaker 2: Act the way they should act for a little while this Christmas.
Speaker 1: But the Lord has been speaking.
Speaker 2: To me in these last few days about the path of peace. And what I realized the more I reflected on this promise of peace that God gives us Isaiah nine to six. His name will be called Wonderful counselor Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and.
Speaker 1: The Prince of Peace.
Speaker 2: But notice the prophet didn't call him the Prince of convenience, or the Prince of ease, or the Prince of comfort, or the Prince of my preferences. Because a lot of times when God promises me peace, what I hear in translation is that God is promising me convenience, or God is promising me ease, or God is promising me my preference being met.
Speaker 1: But the Lord has been speaking to me.
Speaker 2: And maybe you don't need to hear this, but just in case you do, it is impossible to experience peace when you are expecting perfection. See my problem. I'm coming to realize this. It's not other people. It's not the place, it's not the pace, and it's not the problem. The problem is not the problem. I can tell you the problem is not the problem. Because Jesus was born in a manger.
Speaker 1: The Angel appeared to shepherds, So.
Speaker 2: The shepherds were the people that you would least expect the herald to make the announcement of the birth of the Son of God. And yet he showed up to the least likely people in an unlikely place. So it's not the people. It's not the place. It's not the pace. The shepherds were always on the move from place to place to place to place. It's not the it's not the place, it's not the pace. It's not the people. It's not the problem. Here's my problem. My problem is that I can't receive peace because I'm expecting perfection. And the Angel said, are you're gonna help me, preacher? It's just me today. I'll make it quick. Here's the whole message. If you need to go, if you got things to do, I'll give it to you right now, and you can go on and get the target and hopefully everything will turn out all right. The enemy of your peace is not other people. It is not other places. It is not how fast life is or the way the world is. The enemy of your peace is your insistence on perfection. And when Heaven came down and appeared to humanity, it was not in the form of perfection. In fact, God did not come down looking like a deliverer. He came down looking like a dependent.
Speaker 1: He came down as a baby.
Speaker 2: And so when the Prince of Peace came, he didn't come dressed in power. He came in pampers. Why because God wanted you to know that He's going to bring you peace, but not like you expected him to bring in. It's not gonna look like you pictured it. It's not always gonna fit your preferences. It's not always going to live up to your exact specifications of the performance of people. So if I'm going to live at peace.
Speaker 1: I've got to surrender my expectation of perfection. I feel like I can leave.
Speaker 2: Every Christmas party is going to be so much better that you attend because of what I just told you. Every place you set your foot over the next three days is gonna be so much more peaceful because you just realized that peace isn't found in a place. Peace is not found in a set of circumstances that is problem free. It is not that he delivers me from it.
Speaker 1: It's that he meets me. Can I show you something real quick?
Speaker 2: He said that he will guide us with the light in the valley. He didn't take us out of the valley. Yeah, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of Death, I will fear no evil.
Speaker 1: I'm at peace on the path.
Speaker 2: Why not because I'm not going through it, but because I'm not going through it alone. See, there's somebody with me. That it's greater than once.
Speaker 1: I guess the path to peace to a strange path.
Speaker 2: That God would send his son as a child, that God would burst the eternal cosmos and enter into creation in the form of the most imperfect being.
Speaker 1: I know some of you disagree because I hear.
Speaker 2: You saying things about babies that I just don't personally agree with.
Speaker 1: And we can agree to disagree. It's Christmas. We'll just but I say, oh, yes, he's so perfect. Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: If you say that you've never taken one home, that's what I know.
Speaker 1: Huh. And so it's a strange path to peace.
Speaker 2: You know, if God wants to come and set things right, he should come down as a warrior, not as a weakling.
Speaker 1: Why not skip that stage.
Speaker 2: Jesus should have come twenty four years old, full of testosterone, and yet he comes tiny.
Speaker 1: Anthem into a desperate place.
Speaker 2: You know, the story about Joseph waited till the last minute to airbnb for the census, ended up in a ended up in a cold place in the presence of God was born there.
Speaker 1: The path to peace is a strange one.
Speaker 2: That the path to peace for Jesus would lead through Gathsemone where he would pray, God, if there's any other way than me going and experiencing their wrath from your hand for them, let this.
Speaker 1: Cup passed for me.
Speaker 2: The path to peace for us would lead Jesus through the Kidron Valley, where he would ultimately as we come to understand more than Zechariah understood in Luke chapter one, who was prophesying about his own son, John the Baptist, would prepare the way for Jesus, who would guide us in.
Speaker 1: The path to peace.
Speaker 2: But the path to peace with God for us led Jesus to a hill.
Speaker 1: Where he died at the hands of sinful men. It's a strange path to peace.
Speaker 2: We have to admit that he would come in weakness and die in weakness to become our strength.
Speaker 1: It's a path to peace.
Speaker 2: It's a strange thing about peace because whatever you identify as the source of your stress determines what you consider the source of your peace. And that's why I don't like to blame people for my stress, because if people brought me the stress, then I need people to change for me to have peace. But I'm past the point in my life of wanting for people to have to act a certain way for me to have peace in my own heart. And I love what the angel said. Abby was quoting that scripture and she did it perfectly, and I don't even want to do it myself because she did it so good, and I don't want to do it.
Speaker 1: I don't want to.
Speaker 2: Mess it up, as she said, And the Angel said, unto them, fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of great joy. Because the first thing that the shepherds felt in the field when the announcement of Jesus Christ came forth from the Angel, was not faith.
Speaker 1: It was fear.
Speaker 2: See, we think that the presence of God is always going to make us feel better and comfortable. But the first the shepherds felt was fear. See, they found peace, but they found it through fear. Peace did not come to them directly.
Speaker 1: It had to pass through their fear.
Speaker 2: And they found God in the place of their greatest fear, in the fields where they were keeping the sheep from predators at night. They were lonely people in a lonely place. And here comes the Angel, says, Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace.
Speaker 1: Now notice this, The peace is.
Speaker 2: On earth, but it's not from earth. The peace is on earth, but it's.
Speaker 1: Not of earth.
Speaker 2: See. I don't want this plastic peace that comes from people. I've learned that if the peace comes from people, people can take it away. If it comes from situations, situations can change and take it away. So I don't want a peace.
Speaker 1: That comes from a promotion at work.
Speaker 2: I don't want a peace that comes from a convenient circumstance.
Speaker 1: I don't even want.
Speaker 2: A piece that comes from a feeling. I don't want a piece that comes from a situation.
Speaker 1: I want a piece.
Speaker 2: That the world didn't get and the world can't take it away. Come on giving praise if you've got an unsakable peace, an unspeakable joy. I read that scripture all week, The path to peace, the path to peace? What is it that I need to get out of the way in my life to experience peace? So I'm not running around all the time just concentrating on all the missing pieces, And now I'm missing peace because all I.
Speaker 1: Can see is the pieces are missing.
Speaker 2: Because when you're a perfectionist like I am, enneogram type one, the thing that God will give you as a prescription for your perfectism.
Speaker 1: Is children.
Speaker 2: And I am on a dosage of three children. Three children per day guarantees that there will never be a moment in your house that is completely peaceful. I'm telling you right now, I can count on zero toes how many times in the last seven years I've had three peaceful children all at the same time in one house. So you know what I'm having to learn to do. I'm having to learn to take my peace in pieces. Because if I wait until everything is peaceful, if I wait until every child is happy, if I wait until everyone is getting along, if I'm waiting for peace, if I am waiting for every child to bow their head and say the blessing and clear their dishes and thank their mom, I've learned to celebrate God us. One kid puts the bowl in the sink, forget about the dishwasher. That's a red Sea Old Testament miracle.
Speaker 1: Just in the sink. Even in the sink is a blessing.
Speaker 2: I'll celebrate one bowl in the sink.
Speaker 1: See this Christmas. You can't wait for everybody to get along.
Speaker 2: If there's even a piece of piece, you gotta thank God for it and snatch it and take it and celebrate it.
Speaker 1: Because what's this?
Speaker 2: Zacaraiah didn't say he'll show us the path too. Piece, give me my scripture. This is the best Christmas scripture I ever saw.
Speaker 1: In my life. Seventy nine. He will guide our feet in the path. It's not the path.
Speaker 2: Two piece, because that means that peace is out there somewhere. But it's not the path to piece. That's how I've been living my life. God forgive me when I get through this season. Oh, when I get through twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: What calendar isn't gonna.
Speaker 2: Fix any chaos in your life. The same dude you let steal your piece all last year is gonna be standing right there at your window with a crowbar in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: So I'm gonna have peace. You know, my kids get older, they won't need so much. Uh huh uh huh.
Speaker 2: Now that they're gonna be driving, You're gonna have a lott of peace.
Speaker 1: Then when they're out on the road on your insurance.
Speaker 2: That's why I can't project my out here, or I can't project my peace on people, or I can't project my peace on a certain place. It's not the path to piece. That's not the message of Christmas. When God came down to be born of a virgin and was wrapped in claus and lie in a manger, he didn't promise a path to piece, as in a future event that will happen. When it's not a win, then peace. It's not a one day piece.
Speaker 1: It's not a.
Speaker 2: Someday fairytale beauty and the beast piece. It's not a when I get married peace.
Speaker 1: It's not a.
Speaker 2: When I send the kids off peace. It's not when I pay my student loans off peace. It's not a when I get through Christmas peace. It's not a when my in laws lead peace. It's not the path to piece. It's the path of peace. What does that mean? Every step I take, peace with me, every move I make, He's.
Speaker 1: With me every season of my life. He's present. So what's this. I'm not waiting for it. I'm walking in it.
Speaker 2: Somebody say, walk in it, walk in it, walk in it. That's the that's the Christmas sermon. Change my title. I told you it was called the Path of Peace. But I want you to tell them when when when they ask you, what did the preacher preach about today at your your church, the the evolution that you went to on on the Christmas.
Speaker 1: Tell him he told me to walk in it.
Speaker 2: Stop waiting for it, Stop waiting for it, and start walking in it.
Speaker 1: You hear me, Ni Rob walk in. You hear me. Toronto walk in and you hear me. Roanoke walk in and you hear me. Matthews walk in it. You hear me.
Speaker 2: Winston Salem walk in and you hear me River walk walk in it. You hear me Blakeney walk in it. You hear me Valentine walk in it. You might have to walk through a.
Speaker 1: Valley, but you don't have to lie.
Speaker 2: Down and tie. You don't have to curl up in a fetal position and wait for this season to be over. I don't have time to trip. I'm preaching about Jesus. It doesn't matter what the devil puts in my hand.
Speaker 1: I'm on it. I'm on it. I'm houn it. Glad I almost trimmed.
Speaker 2: I didn't plan it, but I'm gonna use it because some of y'all got some people waiting for you when you leave church, and if you're not careful, you're gonna trimp.
Speaker 1: But get your balance back and fix your eyes on Jesus.
Speaker 2: The author and finisher up your faith. What can I I don't have time to trip. See, we've been looking for peace in all the wrong places. The peace of God has never found in human strength or in our perfection. The way that God brings peace into our lives is the same way that Jesus was born in the world in weakness. That's where you find peace. Weakness. I don't like it that way, Jesus, don't go to the cross. It'll make you look weak. But that's the only way that I can bring peace. He didn't bring peace like they wanted him to bring peace. That's why they all walked away when he died. They wanted the Prince of Peace to come in power, but instead he came in weakness.
Speaker 1: Well, I prayed for you before you got here. I prayed for you. I prayed that.
Speaker 2: God would give you his peace, but I prayed that you would stop.
Speaker 1: Looking for it.
Speaker 2: If y'all could stop talking right now while I finish the sermon, thank you. I prayed that he would bring it to you, not in the places that you would normally expect it. Pray that he would bring it to you in that place in your life where you feel the weakest, Not in the place where you're so busy trying to show everybody how strong you are. You're never going to get peace trying to appear perfect. You can't experience peace when you're expecting perfection. Who told you that you had to be perfect before you could experience peace with God.
Speaker 1: God's not for you to be perfect.
Speaker 2: He's already done everything that needs to be done for you to have peace. And the peace of God is not the absence of problems. The peace of God is not getting people to act right or say that they're sorry. The peace of God is not a certain place. I'll tell you man, I've been in some beautiful places with no peace. I've been on some beautiful vacations and beautiful resorts no.
Speaker 1: Peace in my heart.
Speaker 2: And yet I've sat by while my dad died and experienced unspeakable peace as he took his dying breath. Because the only thing required for you to receive the peace of God is to lose your pride and accept it in the place of your weakness. I know we want God to come like Zechariah wanted him to come and deliver us from the difficult places, and deliver us from and rescue us from the hectic schedule, and deliver us from and rescue us from all of the problems and the obstacles that are in front of us in this season. But the peace of God is not the absence of problems. It is the presence of Christ to enable you to walk in it. This is Christmas, and I begin di sermon by asking you a question what's the source of your stress? And now I want to ask a different one, what is the place of your weakness? Because that's the place where God is going to show you the greatest grace. Hear me today, I'm not a prophet or the son of a prophet, but on the authority of God's work, I declare to you this day is born to you in the place of your greatest weakness, a savior who is Christ, the Lord. As that you stand reverently to your feet with no one moving. I want to pray for that place in your life where there is a weakness, that place in your life where there is a missing peace. That place he said that a light will dawn in the shadow of the valley. In that place is the path of peace.
Speaker 1: Not to peace.
Speaker 2: Stop believing that you'll get it one day when God told me to tell you he wants to give you peace in the process, in the process of who you're becoming with every step in arrival, peace in the process.
Speaker 1: That's what incarnation means.
Speaker 2: That's why this weird Christmas story suddenly makes sense because peace came in the form of weakness, just to admit that you need him as.
Speaker 1: The first step.
Speaker 2: So right now, in the holiness of this moment, on this sacred occasion called Christmas, there's a place of weakness in your life where you would like to invite the Holy Spirit this season to come and bring his deep peace that transcends all understanding. I want to ask you, at every location and all over the world watching online, to lift both of your hands in the air to God as a sign of your surrender and trust.
Speaker 1: Father.
Speaker 2: For every hand stretched before you today, I decree your peace for that situation. I cannot read their mind and I cannot know their struggle. But not only do you know the need, you are the one who longs to meet it. Thank you Father for this moment, for when we are weak, then we are strong. We thank you for Emmanuel, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, a Prince of Peace. Your head still bowed and your eyes still closed, you can put your hands down. There's someone here who is far away from God, and the message of Christmas is that you don't have to stay that way. Right now, I'd like to invite you to receive the gift of salvation. The Bible says that if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead.
Speaker 1: You will be saved Christmas.
Speaker 2: I would love to lead you in this prayer that just acknowledges your need for Jesus. So we'll pray now out loud as a church family at all of.
Speaker 1: Our locations for the benefit of.
Speaker 2: Those who are coming to God or maybe coming back to God right now in this moment. The presence of God is here, real and available, and so we pray this prayer together for all of those who are in need of salvation today and want this.
Speaker 1: To be your new beginning. Pray with me, Heavenly Father.
Speaker 2: I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and the Savior of the world.
Speaker 1: And today I make Jesus the lord of my life.
Speaker 2: I believe he died that I could be forgiven and rose again to give me life.
Speaker 1: I receive this new life. This is in Jesus' name.
Speaker 2: If you just prayed that on the count of three, shoot your hand up high. I want to celebrate you on every location. One, two, three, hands up, hands up, Hands.
Speaker 1: Up, God, Bless you, God, bless you.
Speaker 2: Come on.
Speaker 1: Rejoice about it.
Speaker 2: Come on, people of God, rejoice about it.
Speaker 1: It's the greatest gift. It's the reason for the season.
Speaker 2: Come on, let's rejoice in the salvation of our God. Let's rejoice in the peace of our God.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to those of you who give generously to this ministry. Is because of you that this ministry is possible. You can click the link in the description to give now or visit Elevation Church dot org slash podcast for more information and if you enjoyed the podcast, you can subscribe.
Speaker 1: You can share it with your friends.
Speaker 2: You can click the share button, take a screenshot and share it on your social stories and tag us at Elevation Church.
Speaker 1: Thanks again for listening. God bless you.