Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, The Stock Movers podcast, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 2: Let's take a look at some of those stocks on the move today. We're joined now by Bloomberg's Built on a Hirich.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: Let's start with Verizon. What happened here with subscribers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have Verizon Communications reporting a larger than expected decline in mobile phone subscribers in the first quarter. And what the company said is that this is a result of very heavy competition. As we know, this space is highly competitive, but also less spending by government agencies, and so we have shares sliding. I think this is interesting because we have sort of the reverberations from the Trump administration moving to slash thousands of jobs as we know since the president took office, and so now you're actually seeing that coming to fruition for one of the companies.
Speaker 2: That's interesting. I wander that competition too. It's just there's only some many cell phones one will have. And let's get to the main event. Let's be honest, it's Tesla. After the closing bill, I was just reading a headline that there were some governors that send a board to a letter to the board started talking about Musk's role in the government, like are we expecting fireworks today?
Speaker 3: Well, this, as you said, is the company that everybody's watching. We talked about it yesterday as well, after one of its very prominent analysts said the company's facing a code read moment. And we have Tesla reporting earnings later today, and what people are looking for is for Elon Musk to actually inject some excitement potentially on today's earnings call. Given that we have the drop off in sales and obviously we have a drop off in its stock price. The year is off to a pretty bad start given Musk's political entanglements.
Speaker 4: Tesla sales have fallen to.
Speaker 3: A nearly three year low in the first three months, and so what a lot of analysts and a lot of investors are looking for is potentially for Musk to actually inject some of that excitement on today's call. I know we spoke yesterday about whether or not he's going to be part of the call. He will be on the caller, he's expected to be on the call. He has actually only missed one earnings call in his time as.
Speaker 2: CEO, and I should point out Bilb was Treasurers of a US States and the letter to the board.
Speaker 4: But they're dressing concerns, so it holds. It does.
Speaker 5: And I think you know, if you think about Tesla, the stock forever has been tied to Elon Musk, it's Elon Musk is Tesla, Tesla is Elon Musk. Talk about key Man Risk.
Speaker 4: Key Executive Ricks Risk.
Speaker 5: You could argue that's the greatest company out there as an example. So Dan ives at what Bush Securities again yesterday calling out again for mister muskif put his focus back on the company Kimberly Clark. What did they have to say today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, diaper maker Kimberly Clark is cutting its profit out look and this is due to tariff costs. So we have the company lowering profit expectations for the year and they're citing uncertainty arising from the impact on the global trade war on its costs. So we have the chief executive officer saying the current environment will now mean greater costs across our global supply chain versus our expectations at the.
Speaker 4: Beginning of the year. So just goes to show you how quickly things can change, and change in a matter a matter of just a couple of months.
Speaker 1: The Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.