Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: The Bracket Challenge. You can sign up, you can get involved Fox Sports Radio dot Com and you can play along not only with us, but some of these celebrities friends of the show. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America Official Trading Cards oft the DP show this first hour brought to you by tire rack dot Com. Great people to work with, great tires, great deals, great people, and tire rack dot Com is the way tire buying should be played. The day Pole Question stat of the Day. A little bit later on, Jim Beheim will join us on the program former Heisman winner Robert Griffin Junior third. He can react to the latest news. The Minnesota Vikings are not pursuing Aaron Rodgers. It's official. There are two reports the Vikings are not pursuing Aaron Rodgers. I don't know if the Steelers still are. I don't know if the Giants are. I don't know if pursuing the Giants. Is he pursuing the Steelers. We tried to kick the tires on this Viking situation, and I wondered. I was skeptical, but I thought, okay, if the Vikings are interested in him and JJ McCarthy's not ready to play, okay, then I would take it. I would take a chance on Aaron Rodgers for one year. JJ McCarthy is your future. You trade it up to get him at number ten in the draft last year. But I just didn't know. It felt like maybe Rogers was interested. I just didn't know if it was reciprocated, and maybe internally the Vikings were saying, hey, what about this? What do you think? Maybe you talk to JJ McCarthy, maybe you get an update on his recovery time, and then you finally come to the realization we're good now. I do think they made a mistake in letting Daniel Jones go, because I'd like to have a little bit of experience there as a backup. Sam Darnold was going to cost you more. I got that, But Daniel Jones, I think you could have kept him there and he would have been maybe okay as a backup. But you're getting somebody who is going to be basically a rookie and playing, but coming off knee surgery, and there's going to be an adjustment period. This is a team that was a playoff team, had aspirations of going to the super Bowl. But now if you're Aaron Rodgers, does Aaron Rodgers want to stay in New York? If you wanted to go to the Steelers, you probably would have gone to the Steelers. I don't know if that's a great fit. It's just because it's you know, if he goes into Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh is the star. He went to the Jets and they're like, what do you want? Do whatever you want? You want to change the Colors. I don't care. They were desperate. The Steelers aren't desperate. But it feels like you go in there, that's Mike Tomlin you're dealing with, You're dealing with, TJ. Watt, Minka Fitzpatrick. Cam Hayward had something to say he's the Steeler defensive lineman on the Not Just Football podcast on what would your recruiting pitch be to Aaron Rodgers to join the Steelers.
Speaker 3: I ain't doing that darkness darkness treat retreat. I don't mean any of that crap, like either you want to be a Pittsburgh Steeler or you don't. That's that's simple. That's the pitch. If you want me to recruit that's the recruiting pitch. You know, Pittsburgh Steelers. If you want to be part of it, so be it. If you don't, no skin on my back exactly.
Speaker 2: That's what I've been saying. You're the Pittsburgh Steelers. Don't lower yourself. Oh Aaron, could you please come here? Move on? You should have kept justin Fields. At least that gave you a bridge quarterback for the next two years. Maybe he develops into something. Now, what do you have Mason Rudolph? Okay, are you gonna bring Russ back? If it's true that Russ and Arthur Smith, the offensive coordinator, didn't get along at the end of the season, or maybe you didn't see eye to eye. But you're the Steelers, now, I get it. The Giants, they are gonna have to beg to get Aaron Rodgers, the Giants who would have thought one of the blue bloods. And you're waiting to find out, would Aaron Rodgers please come and play for our team? It feels like the Giants are taking Shadoor Sanders. I don't have any information on that other than it feels like Shadoor has thought all along that's where he was going. Now, can you bring in somebody. Do you bring in Aaron Rodgers and let Shador Sanders sit a year? Maybe? But the once proud New York Football Giants they're waiting for Aaron Rodgers. And if you're the Steelers, move on, move on. You might not have somebody as good as Aaron Rodgers, or the ceiling might not be as high, but move on the Steelers. You don't do this, please, And then Russell Wilson, I still think Kirk Cousins plays a role in this somewhere, at some point, somehow. Now the Falcons, you know, they have him, they're paying him, they want him to be their backup. And it feels like every team needs a you know, a good backup. If you're going to be a playoff team, you've got to have a good backup. Chances are your quarterback's going to get dinged up a little bit at some point somewhere down the line. Michael Pennix Junior, the third has been banged up in his career, early in his career when he was in Indiana. So the quarterback in carousel, I don't know if it's stopped or stalled, but it doesn't seem like it's going at the same speed that we thought it was going to. I thought Aaron Rodgers would make a decision by last Friday. But he's Aaron Rodgers. Maybe he waits. Maybe you wait until after the draft. And this is what I wondered with some of these teams. You're to get a quarterback, you might get a quarterback. If you don't get your quarterback, then things change a little bit. Then all of a sudden, maybe there's more people interested in Russell Wilson. Maybe there's more people interested in Kirk Cousins. Maybe he becomes more valuable in it as a trade possibility. There's always the chance that Aaron Rodgers just says I'm done and this came out. I'd love to give maybe it was dying in Racini. I'd love to give the credit to the person. But it felt like there is that option on the table, and that seems obvious at his age, what he went through with the Jets. But then we always come back to the phone, Well you don't want to go out this way. How do you think Aaron Rodgers is going to go out? Probably not on a high note unless he goes to the Vikings. You can't all be John Elway. And if you're going to go to the Giants, how do you think you're going to go out? This isn't Travis Kelsey who played in the suit. Hey, I want to come back, Okay Aaron Rodgers does he want to play? I don't know. Does he know? But if on the Steelers, I make you an offer and you don't want to come, we're the Steelers, then I say, all right, we move on. Were the Vikings ever really interested in him? Was he more interested in them? Now? There are reports that he loves New York wants to stay in the New York area if he's going to play, Whether that's true or not, but he would go from you know, one locker room to the other locker room in the same building, from the Jets to the Giants. But that's the updated news with Aaron Rodgers holding us all hostage. Not much longer though, right eight seven seven three DP show email address DP at danpatrick dot com Twitter handle a TP show. Watched basketball last night and I was curious just how good North Carolina was going to be. And this doesn't This doesn't prove really anything. I know. This is where Tarhill fans will say, oh, are you going to apologize today. No for what I didn't think you deserve to be in the tournament. It's not the end of the world. It's okay. If you're really honest about your team, you probably would say you didn't deserve to be in the tournament. But you take it. Okay, Fine, you beat San Diego State, great, maybe you make a run. We've seen teams in the first four end up in the final four and you know they they're on a mission. Here Alabama State at the buzzer gets by Saint Francis Pennsylvania. Not a great couple of days for West Virginia basketball. West Virginia doesn't get in the tournament, thought they deserve to get in over North Carolina, and then, to make matters worse, they lost their basketball coach. He went to Indiana, Darien Devrie. I don't know if he would have gone to Indiana had West Virginia made the tournament. After they get bounced, you you eventually go to Indiana. I'm not sure. But Mike Woodson, who got Indiana to the doorstep of making the tournament, got fired. Darien Devrees, who was kind of the I think the guy after the guy to clean up Bob Huggins mess at West Virginia, but he goes from West Virginia. I don't know if the governor holds a press conference and has anything to say today about losing their basketball coach. Yeah, your alma manor Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think the big part was Bob Huggins. This is kind of the after I think Darren Derees he was, like you said, kind of the guy after the guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, And now going to Indiana. Steve Alford never got a shot. Now Steve's at Nevada, And I thought that that was one of those that was always going to be inevitable, and then all of us sudden it wasn't.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin, looking back on history, don't you think that's a bad idea? You saw Patrick Ewing at Georgetown and Chris Malling at Saint John's at Penny It's going okay for Penny Hardaway at Memphis. But isn't it tough to be the greatest player in the hit not one of the greatest players in the history of a program going back to be the head coach.
Speaker 2: Like Clyde Drexler at Houston. You can't hire somebody without the thought that you may have to fire them and with you know, Chris Mallin at Saint John's, Patrick Ewing at George Like, these are your all timers, and of course it has to be awkward when you come back. You know, there's there's a Hall of Fame ceremony alumni weekend and yeah, you're introducing Chris Mallin or Patrick Ewing and everybody's thinking the same thing. The school fired them, yes, Martin.
Speaker 5: And it's hard because those two are easily the greatest players in the history of that program, so everyone's looking for them. Steve Alford, I'm not sure if he's the great I don't know much about Indiana BASKETAB. I don't know who the greatest player is that ever went there. But it's got to be difficult if you come back after getting fired.
Speaker 2: But this was a guy who played for Bob Knight. He's a local, he's an Indiana kid. You won a national title with him. I just and I think Dan Dakis, who played at Indiana radio hostel join us tomorrow and I can ask him more about this. But it just felt like Steve Alford wasn't considered for that job. You know, he had UCLA at Iowa Nevada, but Indiana now has West Virginia's head coach. All right, see what's poll question today?
Speaker 4: I was gonna go with most sure thing in the tournament.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, by the way, a sure thing. The Dodgers won. They just beat the Cubs and get a load of Roki Sasaki. If you get a chance to watch him pitch. His first three pitches hundi, hundi, hundi, and then his next pitch was ninety nine. Then he had a splitter at eighty two. Sh he. It feels like he either strikes you out or walks you. But you want to talk about some electric stuff. They may not need Otani to pitch this year. Imagine if you're in the Nation League West and you're like, damn, we're already two games behind the Dodgers because nobody else has played except for the Dodgers in the Cubs, but they ended up winning Otani homward in the game. This is just business as usual. But Sisaki has I'm trying to think, who reminds me of Yeah, polling nuke lalush.
Speaker 6: Well, a little nuke us three innings, one hit, one in run, five walks in three k Yeah.
Speaker 2: But as far as Man. He's got some stuff, but they ended up beating the Cubs, you know, and you get sometimes you'll get that Japanese player who might be twenty six or twenty seven each row. I think was twenty six twenty seven when he came over. Susaki's twenty three. But that's that pipeline. They spent the money, They outspent everybody for him, and they you know, their pitching staff was decimated last year with injuries. And I mean, you have Clayton Kershaw's a luxury. He could be he could be your pitching coach at thirty five million dollars a year. May not need him that much. But I don't think the offense is going to be as good. But they're still going to be the overwhelming favorite to win the World Series. In fact, according to DraftKings, the Dodgers are plus two to ninety the second favorite. The Braves are plus seven fifty, the Yankees plus eight to fifty. Then it's the Phillies, and then the Mets at plus twelve hundred.
Speaker 6: Yes, Paul, the bases where there's two men on for Otani and they intentionally walked Otani. Not a good reaction from the local crowd.
Speaker 2: No, no, all right, seatan I interrupted you. You know what, Let me take a break. We'll come back. We'll run down all the poll question options, and your phone calls always welcome. So you have basketball coming up tonight. If you want to be in our Bracket challenge, go to Foxsports Radio dot com to sign up and we'll take your phone calls as well. We're back after this on the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 7: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 8: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 2: Going on in the world.
Speaker 7: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 8: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 7: So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone call, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 7: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Cobino on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Yes, Dylan, I.
Speaker 9: Was just gonna say, we should have all met on UNC last night. We could be on vacation right now.
Speaker 2: Dan, Why would we be on vacation if we bet North Carolina last.
Speaker 10: Night because that was the clearest script of what was going to happen.
Speaker 9: Ever, everyone and their mother's talking about how they don't deserve it, and then they go out and win by thirty.
Speaker 2: So we would have made so much money that we.
Speaker 10: Would have eight to ten billion dollars and.
Speaker 2: Then I still would show up for work today eight billion dollars. Yeah, yeah, I would.
Speaker 10: What about on Monday.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Really, yeah, I like going to work.
Speaker 10: We can do the show from like Turks and Caicos or something.
Speaker 2: No, I don't need that. I mean, would I do it? Maybe for a week or so, maybe in February. Yeah maybe, but no.
Speaker 10: Then you get used to the island life.
Speaker 2: N I can't get used to the island life. Really, yeah, can't. I try. It's just I don't sit at the beach. I'm not a guy who reads a book. I gotta be doing a couple of things something. But uh, and then leave it to me and our family. We go on vacation. We get on one of those banana boats, you know Lebron and d Wade and Carmelo Anthony banana boat. Next the last day we're done with vacation, the guy who is you know, he's got a motor boat and he's, you know, taking the banana boat all around and hitting waves.
Speaker 6: Captain Banana.
Speaker 2: He's trying to get you to fall off the banana boat. And then you know he does well. My sister's boyfriend elbow goes right into my daughter's collarbone, so she breaks her collarbone. And we're in another country, and that's not a pretty sight. When you have to go to a hospital and you're like, we're not having surgery here, could you give her some pain meds? But I mean that's like, let's do something. How about a banana boat sounds great? Next thing, I know, my daughter's got a broken collarbone, got a flyer back home the next day. We could have just stayed, stayed at home, played board games or something.
Speaker 6: We've all been together a long time. I can't remember you. You're not an island sit at the beach guy.
Speaker 2: In anyway, I gotta be moving, got to do something.
Speaker 6: What's your ideal vacation like like art galleries and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: No, I.
Speaker 2: Just movement. You got to be like what's there to see? Like when I went to Wine Country, it was great. You're moving. It's constant. I can't just sit there, sit there in the sun, and then all of a sudden the sun reminds you you missed a spot and you're like, godly, that's that hurts. And then reading the book and all I can't do it. I'm a terrible person to go on vacation with because I start to relax usually the next to last day, and I'm like all right, you know, and everybody else is like, you've been miserable the whole time. I go, no, no, not really, not really. By the way, march madness is built on chaos, right, the first four games we usually dismiss because well, it's the first four. Nobody cares. We may focus on the eight nine matchup that's always competitive. Maybe you go Cinderella Story. By the way, for some reason, every time I look at my bracket and I see liberty, I always go liberty bibberty, Like I always think of that commercial with the guy who's by the statue liberty, liberty, beberty. Can't pronounce it, Marvin, you've seen Puzzled. Have you seen that commercial? It's on like fifteen twenty times. It feels like an hour.
Speaker 5: Is that the same commercial words liberty, liberty, liberty, Yeah, okay, then yes, I have.
Speaker 2: As opposed to what other liberty commercial it's not for the university.
Speaker 5: I've seen those. I've seen tons of those.
Speaker 2: Liberty, beberty. Fairleigh Dickinson stunned Purdue in twenty twenty three. That's the second number sixteen seed to tomp will number one at large. First four teams have done pretty well. VCU in twenty eleven went from the first four to the final four. Ucla did it twenty twenty one, taking down Number one Michigan along the way Number ten Colorado last season kept the trend to line, beating Boise State and then number seven Florida. I don't know if one of these teams Xavier, Texas, Alabama State goes any further than what they did. You know, Alabama State last night. You've got Xavier and Texas. I don't know if Mount Saint Mary's or American is going to advance, but it feels like there's always going to be one or two of those teams. And when you're filling out your brackets, like I've moved from the twelve to five to the thirteen to four, I just think teams have gotten better, more balanced, and you know you're going to take a shot here they'll be at probably a double digit seed who goes to the Elite eight, maybe the final four. Feels like it's that way every year. Jim Beyheim, mister Sunshine will join us coming up a little bit later on. He filled out a bracket. I think he won the bracket challenge last year. Behein was pretty good a couple of phone calls in here. Let's go to Curtis in Illinois, High Curtis, what's on your mind?
Speaker 3: More?
Speaker 11: In DP, I was wondering if maybe you thought Aaron Rodgers finally came to the realization that he's not the end all be all and as opposed to just paying for anybody that'll take him, he wants to play for like a Kevin O'Connell, an offensive guru under that Shanahantree, and maybe he's just going to hold out for maybe somebody to get injured so he could have that opportunity of the team where.
Speaker 2: He can be coached a little.
Speaker 12: In an offensive system that seems to work in today's the NFL.
Speaker 2: I think going to Minnesota and having that coach to coach you, if Aaron would let that happen with those weapons Jordan Addison and Justin Jefferson, I mean that to me would have been an ideal situation. You get to go back to the NFC North that you know quite well, but you know at some point you have to just say we as an organization are moving on. You can be intrigued by Aaron Rodgers. I would have brought Aaron Rodgers in just to pick his brain. That's why I don't know why more teams don't interview more coaches, because they bring in all of this information. They tell you exactly what, but they think of your team. And if Aaron Rodgers came in, I'd love to hear what he would have to say. Now, if you do bring him in, then all of a sudden, that's when it starts to you know, explode, Oh he's in, and then you know you got to talk JJ McCarthy down off the lead. No, no, you're still you know, teams are still from what I was told inquiring about trading for JJ McCarthy, which if I'm Minnesota, no, no, you got your guy. You traded up to get your guy, You got a great, great coach for quarterbacks, and now you have that rookie contract. But Aaron Rodgers, if you wanted the Steelers, you know, he would have made that decision. It feels like it's the Giants or retirement or a Giant retirement. But I don't know if there's anything else for him. I do know that this story will linger if he retires and you don't fill out papers. You know, JJ Watt told us a couple of weeks ago. He didn't fill out any papers that that will always be there. Let's say just throw this out. Matthew Stafford gets hurt. There was talk that maybe Aaron Rodgers would go there. If Matthew Stafford went to the Giants, got a playoff team, got two really good wide receivers. Oh, you happen to have DeVante Adams there. Aaron Rodgers will always be the Hey, what about Aaron Rodgers. That is a storyline that will persist in the offseason and then the regular season. Somebody gets hurt. That's why I think Kirk Cousins is really valuable for Atlanta. If a quarterback on a playoff caliber team gets hurt, I mean, who's Cleveland's quarterback? Can he pick it? Russell? Like, what's Russell Wilson gonna do? Is he going back to Pittsburgh? I don't know if they want him. If they wanted him, they would have said, we're keeping you the Browns. Does he want the Brownes? The Giants? I think you would go to the Giants. I think playing in New York that whole thing, and maybe you bring him in and you know, once again, I think they're gonna go after Shadoor Sanders. Somebody's going to take Jackson dart At of Old miss maybe somewhere in the first fifteen picks. That will change things up for some teams. And then all of a sudden, we didn't get our guy, or we did get our guy. We're not interested in Russell Wilson or the Giants bring him in because they want to have him there for one year, because they're going to bring in Shador Sanders.
Speaker 6: Yes, Pauline, I went to Cleveland Browns dot com. You can go to every team's website and see their depth chart.
Speaker 2: I told you not to go to those not safe for work websites.
Speaker 6: There, big red flag. My computer's locking up. Yeah, why are you looking at this? They don't have a depth chart up on their website. It says check back in twenty twenty five. It's twenty twenty five. There's no depth chart.
Speaker 2: But I think they have Jamis went well, they don't even have James Winston.
Speaker 6: Now, Pickett is under contract, Watson is under contract.
Speaker 2: Okay, dang thikes. See, most of the time, as NFL fans, we think there's a chance for our team every year. Now, even if you're a bad team, you go, you know, schedule draft picks. I don't know. It's rare when you go into a season and you go, we have absolutely no hope? How many? How many no hopers are out there? Like I have more hope for Carolina than I do Cleveland, the Titans, I mean, unless cam Ward proves to be Jaden Daniels, probably no hope there any other no like Arizona has the potential. The Giants probably a no hoper. The Jets are they a no hoper?
Speaker 4: They always have hope?
Speaker 2: Delusional hope, yes, Martin.
Speaker 5: Jaguars no hope. Nah, they on Earth, on Earth.
Speaker 2: Now, I think they do. I think they have hope. Yeah, that division decent off season. Yeah, I'm okay with Jacksonville.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, Paul, like the New England Patriots, there were four and ten. But Drake May had a very sneaky nice season. Not Jane Daniels sish. That feels hopeful but not in near future.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But you might say, all right, can we be better than the Jets? Yes? Can we better be better than the Dolphins? Yes, We're not as good as the Bills. Can we get nine wins? Can we be a wild card team? Yes?
Speaker 5: Mark, So we guys are saying, no hope. Do you guys mean a playoff team, like a potential Yeah? Okay, so I'm gonna stick with the Jaguars.
Speaker 2: So you don't have any hope for the Jags not on this planet? Okay, all right.
Speaker 4: They seem a long way from hope. They feel like they're just on the downside of that last bit of hope they had that clearly isn't working out.
Speaker 2: I think that they set their gps to hope and then all of a sudden they got.
Speaker 4: Sidetracked recalculating yes, recalculated yes.
Speaker 2: Wait where you take Surrey? Where are you taking me? You are not going to the playoffs?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 2: Oh we it was straight ahead there. Now I'm taking lefts. And by the way, how many times you had asked for directions and they take you you know what, you know, the quickest way to go someplace, And all of a sudden they have you going like three or four different turns than you would normally, And I go, I don't know if I can trust you. I think she's deceiving me, she's lying to me, And I always go, how did you get these directions? Maybe she's giggling at me. Would it'd be great, though, if I would love to be a Surrey voice, you know, like car directions where you could actually say to somebody, you know, hey, that's terrible music. Hey, keep your eye on the road. She doesn't like you crack a window. Please let's do that. No, because then you have to do all of those lines that you know, you have to record everything, and then they piece it all together all right. Uh. Josh in Indianapolis, Hey, Josh, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 13: What up? DP?
Speaker 12: Hey Josh, second time long time five nine, two twelve. Hey, So I'm calling because I'm heading out to Vegas for opening weekend March Madness, and Uh, I just wanted to hear what Dylan's got rolling? Uh for the weekend?
Speaker 2: Dylan, what do you have rolling for the weekend?
Speaker 13: Well?
Speaker 9: Then, traditionally I bet every game Thursday and Friday, just for the numbers game. I like, I have one big upset, which is actually a team that's been a hot topic on this show, Arizona. I'm finally gonna smarten up, and I'm taking them to lose in the first round. Akron is plus seven to fifty money line.
Speaker 10: Okay, I've been bedden by them. Too many times.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have too many times. Like I say, I call them the Chargers of college basketball, or the Chargers or Arizona Basketball of the NFL. Where you go, I'm all in and then all of a sudden and the Wildcats have been shocked again.
Speaker 4: I fall for that every.
Speaker 2: Year and like, Nope, not anymore.
Speaker 10: They're like, you know who the best four seed is in the tournament?
Speaker 9: Arizona bounce in the first round by Yale.
Speaker 2: Wait, Arizona's playing Yale.
Speaker 10: No, they're playing Akron.
Speaker 9: But okay, I think a year or two ago they did lose in the first round to Yale.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yeah. There's certain teams where I've been burned that if they win, I'll be like, hey, good, good for you, round of Paul, toast to you. But for the most part, they're just certain teams where you go, Nope, not going to do it. You're not going to make me do it, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 5: And on the opposite end, Michigan State. No matter what seed they are, Oh Tom, is it on March they could be the eleventh seed. Oh man, they got to the final four again.
Speaker 2: John Swoltz would always win our bracket challenge because he would always have his alma mater, Michigan State, or he was going to go to Michigan State, decided to play for the Braves. But he always has Michigan State in the final four or the championship game. And for somehow, some way, some reason, Tom Izzo always has his team ready to go for a guy that you probably can't name more than five players, marquee players who have played for him. I mean, you go back to matteen, Cleeves, you know. I mean he's had players, you know, Draymond Valentine, There's been some good players, but he doesn't have one. And Donners. He's one of those guys that is just a basketball treasure. He knows how to coach. And there are coaches who know how to coach early, in the middle of the season, late in the season, and then the postseason. Very few can do it at all four of those times, and Tom is always one of those guys. I haven't filled out my bracket yet. I hate it, but it's just like when I took the SAT and I didn't give any thought to it, I did better than when I actually gave it thought. I just go b see hey, b d see didn't matter didn't care. Did better when I did that? All right, We'll take a break. Phone calls coming up, settle on our poll question. We'll talk to RG three about the Vikings no longer interested in Aaron Rodgers. Jim Beheim will join a little bit later on as well. But our Play of the day is next.
Speaker 1: Order to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 7: Wapp Oh my God.
Speaker 2: The play of the day.
Speaker 10: Butter Lipside got it.
Speaker 1: This is the play of the day. Check this out.
Speaker 4: Since it will inbound under his own basket. Pato pressures the ball, he throws a baseball light man pass parking to the hard free throw line.
Speaker 1: It's lungs out of the pass.
Speaker 4: To play it up.
Speaker 7: Tucket a go ober Nuts get stay play.
Speaker 1: Seventy to sixty eight.
Speaker 2: Alabama State nine wins by three points or less this season, tied with Michigan for the most in Division One. That's courtesy of Westwood one Radio, and that's your play of the day. Play of the Day brought to you by Maco. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, they bring your car back to life with affordable ping John's Light Collusion Repairs. Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better make up. Watched a lot of the Alabama State game and Saint Francis. I think they had nineteen losses going into that game. Does that sound about it? They had a losing record, but you have that baseball pass and then it's like defensive backs knock the ball down, knock it down, had a ricochet and then put in with seven tenths of a second there. I want to make sure I got that stat right with Saint Francis. Do we have? They're the nineteenth team to enter the tournament with the losing record. Those teams are oh for nineteen all time? They were sixteen and eighteen, so not nineteen? Well maybe are they nineteen losses with last night checking? Okay, all right, how about the poll results there? Seton?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got up there right now? More of a sure thing in the tournament. Your options are Duke, Florida, Auburn, and Houston. Okay, right now, Florida running away with that one at about forty six percent of the vote, followed by Duke. Auburn is in last there, and I've seen Auburn in a couple of different places referred to as possibly the greatest team of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm not going to subscribe to that.
Speaker 4: Possibly the greatest team of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Florida is going to leave its mark here. At least that's what the analysts say. I mean, Seth Greenberg said Florida is Noah's Ark. They have two of everything, which is a great line. I don't know, it's just it's always weird when you have a team that's really, really good dominating. I just want to see when you don't have your a game, when you have to win ugly, when you have to win a close game now, because for the most part, you're going to have some blowouts, but you're going to have one of those games. Feels like just about any team that wins the title, there's always one of those games where you have to get by somehow, and sometimes it's not the guy that you would expect to help you. Move on, Tim and Ohio, Hi Tim, what's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Good morning, Dan? Good morning, Hey Saturday, I got Saturday here.
Speaker 10: Okay.
Speaker 13: The nineteen the n Tournament started one day before the nastals Ta turnlet. It was hell at bastesb Garden sixteen for picked up play and the winner of the tournament temple out over the Colorado Buffalo's.
Speaker 2: All right, steat of your day today, Boss?
Speaker 3: Stat of the day?
Speaker 2: Stat of the day?
Speaker 3: Here comes that? What stat of the day.
Speaker 2: I was watching a little n I T last night with Saint Bonaventure. Uh, it's not that exciting at my house. I'm just saying, you know, sometimes it can get crazy. But hey, I'm gonna flip back and forth with an NIT game. Maybe I'll see Woje there at Saint Bonaventure's game, yes, Seaton.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, last night was one of those nights because I found myself here like just flipping around. I watched hockey for a while last night. That was a lot of fun. You know what they do in hockey two that had ever realized. So I apologize hockey fans for your head's all about to explode. But if you do like a coaches challenge on a play. I was watching Islanders Penguins I think it was, and there was like a goalie interference question on a goal and the coach challenged it because he thought that there was a coach's challenge he thought there was interference, and then they found that there was no interference, they got docked for delay a game, and then the other team ended up getting a power play. Oh so there was like consequences for if you're gonna challenge this and waste our time, we're gonna take a guy off ice for I forget how two minutes or whatever it was, I forget. But you like, there's way more skin in the game about like I just throw it and see what happens. Like, No, if you do it now, you immediately not only does the goal stand, but when you come back, you're in a past. Yeah, the other you're short on ice.
Speaker 2: You imagine if you did that in basketball, where if somehow you're wrong, then the other team gets to shoot a technical.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah exactly, Like all right, well you messed that up this other team, I'm gonna get to shoot.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's kind of awesome. Yeah, you're wasting our time, you interrupted the flow of the game. You guys get to shoot a technical foul. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The more the more you pay attention, hockey is a fantastic game. It's a great sport.
Speaker 2: But how many sports do we say the following man come playoff?
Speaker 11: Time.
Speaker 2: Now football, you will say we love the regular season, doesn't matter. Baseball, man, postseason's great. Basketball man, postseasons great. Hockey, definitely, postseason is great. It's just not a great philosophy to have that everything is about your postseason. College basketball is great, you know, the postseason is great. Regular season is not. Yeah. I mean that's why people have a hard time filling out their brackets because they're going, I don't know, I didn't watch Yeah, I think I watched the Maley Invitational, but that was, you know, back in October. But you have you know, like baseball, you get excited at the beginning. There might be moments during the season, a no hitter, somebody hits you know, four home runs, all Star game. But it feels like the NBA starts after Christmas. Baseball we sort of get after the All Star Game, maybe July ish, where people get a little more ramped up with it.
Speaker 5: Yes, Marvin, Yeah, hockey is one of those sports where I know, great goalkeeping, like man Tim Thomas when he's with the Bruins, Dominie Hashik with the Buffalo Sabers. Yeah, and was that Mike Richter. Richter, I can't name anybody else, because they were like, man, it's about goalkeeping. It's like pitching in the playoffs in Major League Baseball. Man, great pitching.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's what hockey is. And then they I had never heard the expression, oh he was standing on his head out there the goal he was, And I go, no, he wouldn't. I know it's an expression here. Yes.
Speaker 6: Do you think with youth hockey it's the kid? Do people aspire to be a goaltender or is the kid out there who can't skate too well has to kind of try out in goal early in.
Speaker 4: His career aka the first baseman.
Speaker 2: No, no, I don't think it's like this stereotypical heavy kid is going to be the catcher in the movie.
Speaker 6: That's what I was asking.
Speaker 9: Usually hockey boys are actually a lot of times the best skater on the team.
Speaker 2: The best skater. Yeah, well they're probably the best athletes, or at least I think a lot of them. Maybe it didn't used to be that way, but I mean, just what they do, it's and to do it on skates, it's pretty You got things flying at you one hundred miles an hour. I wouldn't sign up to be a goalie, but there are people who have that mindset of this is what they love. You're in the action all the time, yes, yes, Dyli.
Speaker 9: It is pretty insane that, in like modern society, at one point hockey boys had nothing on their head or.
Speaker 2: Face or face yeah yeah, and then all of a sudden, you're soft. If who was at Jacques plant was he the first to have a goalie? You imagine these hockey guys got stitches all over the place they see him. You're soft. You got to wear a mask.