Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It is Thursday, January sixteenth, and the Ravens preparing for a Divisional round matchup against the Buffalo Bills. As they got ready for that matchup, today we heard for the coordinators. So let's kick it off with offensive coordinator Todd Monkey.
Speaker 2: How important do you think you people will tell about the when the weather gets cold, it's little.
Speaker 3: Wind year, the Ryant's wing your running game?
Speaker 4: You know, how important do you.
Speaker 3: Think having a strong running game?
Speaker 4: You know, you can impact the game when weather it's a factor.
Speaker 3: We're it's huge, It's huge.
Speaker 5: I mean you're first of all, you can't control the game if you can't run it anyway. So so having a strong running game, especially when the conditions go a certain way, especially with wind, certainly gives you a leg up.
Speaker 6: Other reports that you're taking head coach interviews today and tomorrow, when.
Speaker 7: Ravens fans see that, they panic about and as he focused on another job or is he focused here? Just what your response to those worries or concerns that fans have when they see these things.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, I'll just say this, as I said last week, it's a compliment to this organization or players and our coaches that other organizations have an interest in myself, for any of our coaches. I mean, that's just a fact. I mean, that's that's how it goes. Any of the work that I needed to do for any of yous that we're gonna come up during the season, I did in the off season. So all of my focus last week was on the Steelers, and all my focus this week is on the Bills. I love the job I have, I mean, I really do, and I've got a great job here, and you know, so everything everything, the way the system is set up is unfortunate, but it is what it is, and so but I'm excited to uh to.
Speaker 3: Play the Bills. That's where my mind's at.
Speaker 6: Speaking which you said that the systems what is? Would you prefer that the NFL, the change occurred, or a rule change occurred, that these interviews for offensive coordinators and head coaches would occur in the off season or after the Super Bowl rather than in the midst of the playoffs.
Speaker 5: I don't think there's an easy way, or they'd already be doing it. I mean, it is what it is. It's like trying to figure out things that they've been trying to figure it out. There's no easy way, there's no easy solution.
Speaker 3: So it is what it is.
Speaker 7: Of the success that you had against them week for how much applicability is there whatever might have them uncoming with the year.
Speaker 3: I mean it's week to week.
Speaker 5: I mean we're gonna have to play well Sunday night, and I anticipate we will. What we did or how we did it, whatever that was thirteen weeks ago, fourteen weeks ago, we're all looking at the same tape. We're looking at that same tape, what we did well, what we didn't do well, anticipating how they react to what we've been doing lately, because we're a different team now than we were then in terms of how we attack people, our personnel, who we have, who will have Sunday night. So ultimately, for both teams, it's going to come down to what they do well, irrespective of what that game was thirteen fourteen weeks ago, what we do well, what they do well. Because when you're really good, you have tendencies you just do you just do. You got to do what you do well and do it better than they do it.
Speaker 8: Oh, how much if any will the weather play the factor of their offensive team would maybe if the benefit doing.
Speaker 3: That, I don't know if it's a benefit or not.
Speaker 5: I don't our game planning has gone in knowing that it's going to be cold, knowing that there's a chance for snow or wind.
Speaker 3: Ultimately, it doesn't change a lot.
Speaker 4: Senior wrong games theory around the season.
Speaker 1: They do guys that utilize the six out as alignment a lot in grecent weeks.
Speaker 7: What's going into that and what have you thought of the success?
Speaker 5: Some of it started, you know, when Charlie was out, so that was the initial part of it. We've used it on the goal line, We've used it down there. It evolved a little bit with Charlie out, and then you know, as you get further into the season and you want to be able to run it. The ability ability to use an extra linement is facilitated by being able to run the football, be ahead of the chains, and be winning.
Speaker 3: That's a fact.
Speaker 5: It's it's any part of your run game is a byproduct of continuing to be able to play with physicality, be able to run it, and that's going to give the other opportunities. But I think Josh done a great job when he's been in.
Speaker 9: You know, and the read option plays that you guys ran this past week, and it seemed like one of things the Steelers really struggled with was just reading Lamar's or the late bulls or late in handoffs.
Speaker 10: How hard is it for the running backs? Developed the chemistry with Lamar on those measure points to kind of create that deceptiveness and make it cool.
Speaker 3: To do done a great job.
Speaker 5: Coaches have done a great job with that has not been an issue as we know it can be, you know, and they changed up what their decision was. You know, in the past we've played them, they've taken the ball out of Lamar's hands. I mean they've done that, you know, not all the time, but that's been a major focus of them. And then this this game was a little more of like, okay, how are we going to play squeeze scrape.
Speaker 3: We're gonna utilize of safety.
Speaker 5: As you know, it was the extra tackler on Lamar and he did a great job, and the guys in the backfield did a great job.
Speaker 7: I believe we say to the number one using tech, I think pretty much for most of the year after the buy it seemed like, especially their production even ratchet up.
Speaker 11: Even more than Was there something coming out of the buy that you guys.
Speaker 4: Said, hey, let's have an increasing folks. Was that or was that just did that not really happen in.
Speaker 3: A few things, I wouldn't say that the focus.
Speaker 5: Of you know, getting the ball to Derek was that way.
Speaker 3: There's a few things we're doing differently.
Speaker 5: There's a few concepts same in the past game that you get to look at over the bye week, which we did like most teams do, and take a look at yourself, look at others. Okay, what can we incorporate as we go down the stretch here. It's a nice thing about having the late by, but we've also been winning. And when you're winning and you're ahead, that's what's this byproduct that's a byproduct of buying more opportunities. Your physicality really good on early downs, and winning allows from us to run.
Speaker 3: The football along those lines.
Speaker 12: We've seen this run game evolve where you can like pair gap and zone concepts with read options, so you have that extra layer of disception. How much of that, I guess was kind of premeditated over how you wanted to develop this run game over the course of the season. How much of that is just kind of natural response to what you see defensive and how they want to defect you.
Speaker 3: Guys all the above.
Speaker 5: I mean, we've always had it in there, but as you kind of evolve through the year, you know, with each game you're looking at what you're doing well, what you're not doing well, what tendencies you've created, the personnel that you have to be able to utilize it, because that's that's the key part of it. How do you utilize all the personnel that you have, whether it's your tight ends, your backs or receivers.
Speaker 3: How do you get them in the game.
Speaker 5: They all have an elite trade somewhere, they wouldn't be in the NFL. How can we utilize that and give us an opportunity to move the ball and score points?
Speaker 3: When you and you go.
Speaker 9: Into a game knowing you're not going to have a guy as in your role as a focus is I'm not saying that's.
Speaker 4: Going to be guess this week, but it was the case last week. What's the thought process is it?
Speaker 3: Is it more.
Speaker 8: This is how our palet of players might change, or is it more these are the guys that might piece me will be able to replace the things that he does.
Speaker 3: I think the latter.
Speaker 5: You know, how are we going to move our pieces around to give us best chance to score? I mean, that's what we're paid to do. Irrespective who takes the field, hopefully they will be able to go. But if not, we've got a lot of really good players. We really do. That's we're fortunate. We have a lot of really good players and we anticipating and playing well.
Speaker 13: But you mentioned all these guys with elite abilities.
Speaker 6: I asked you a similar question last year.
Speaker 14: But having that.
Speaker 1: All those guys with elite abilities plus Derrick Henry, now this year, is this fun for you to.
Speaker 14: Drop these players and to.
Speaker 5: Do all this to play for this I don't know if I'd call it fun. When you're in the middle of it in the season, it's a grind. You know, give it three or four weeks. Hopefully then you can say that it was fun. You know, you're always working to win the last one. I mean, that's just the way it is. You know, all the stats, all the compliments, where you're at, running the ball, throwing it, all the all the matters of Sunday night and what we put out there Sunday night.
Speaker 12: How much do Milano, Johnson Bernard matter for Buffalo and the way that they want to play defense?
Speaker 3: No other good football players, I mean.
Speaker 5: Not the guys that they had playing or professional players as well, you know, and that's part of being in the NFL. Everybody goes through injuries and other guys have to step up, and you've got to do a great job as a staff to utilize the pieces that you have. There's a reason they're starters, and I'm sure they're excited to have those guys back, But again, that doesn't have anything to do with us. I mean, their structure is gonna stay the same of how they're gonna play it, and we're excited to get after it Sunday night.
Speaker 1: Next up is defensive coordinator Zach Or.
Speaker 15: That Josh Allen is can be creative. He's one of the most dynamic quarterbacks in the NFL. To layman's eye, how have you approached the possibility of him being able to make big plays happen at integral.
Speaker 4: Times in the game.
Speaker 16: Yeah, man, you just obviously he's a great player. You've been a great player for a long time. We've gone we've gone against them, so we kind of a little familiar with his game. But I mean he's big, strong, he's fast, and he can throw the ball anywhere from anywhere on the field. So I think that you just see that in critical situations, you understand that he is gonna have the ball, he is gonna put the ball in his hands, and he's gonna try to make something happen. And we're just aware of what he likes to do in those situations, and we've just been practicing, preparing our butts off to make sure that when that situation comes, we know exactly what he's gonna do, and we know exactly what we're gonna do exactly.
Speaker 4: There was that in week before. You know, you guys did really well. There was that one completion that Josh made all the way from the sideline.
Speaker 9: How how many times have you looked at that clip this weekend and reminded, guys, how long you can extend the play?
Speaker 11: Yeah, we've shown it.
Speaker 16: We've shown it a lot, man, We've shown it a lot because that's the one big play and that's how it can happen. You can do a lot of stuff right, and you have one little mental laps or one late reaction in boom, it's a fifty yard play or it's a touchdown. And he did that to us in Week four, and he's continued to do that to teams throughout the season.
Speaker 11: You've seen that last week in their game. So it's a big point of emphasis for us that the play is never over.
Speaker 16: That no matter where you're at on the field, to who you're covering, even though you could be a dB on a on a running back, everybody is live until the whistles to the whistle's dead, and so we have to make sure that we're aware of that. We have to make sure that we try to keep him in the pocket as much as possible, and then we have to plaster in the back end until the whistle blows.
Speaker 8: Do you have a specific set of rules on the sort of mental checklists for the guys when he does get out of the pocket when he's extending a play, like you gotta think about.
Speaker 16: Whistless and that, Yeah, we got we got some we got some things that we talk about that we must do specifically for him.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 8: Exact a lot of the players have downplayed because it was three and a half months ago. As week four, your defense has undergone a lot of change since then. What do you take away from how well you played that game that can apply for this one, even though both teams are a lot different than late septimes.
Speaker 16: I just take away I like to I felt like earlier on the season that was one of the games that we actually played with the physicality and the effort that I like to see.
Speaker 11: So I think you could take away from that.
Speaker 16: Now we've changed quite a bit scheme wise, and they've actually changed a lot too since our game. So yeah, I agree with the guys that you can't put too much stock in it from the standpoint from x's and o's, but from the standpoint of a physicality mindset, you could take a lot from it. And I think that we showed that if we come out and we play physical, we play with the right effort, and we communicate that we put ourselves in a great position have a great day.
Speaker 1: Thatak how much is depending with martin accident.
Speaker 4: Proud of Us is learly something will help with defending Josh Allen the terms them, but the extent lost.
Speaker 16: It honestly helps out a lot because that even though there are two different type of players, the end result is similar in the sense of the play.
Speaker 11: Is never over.
Speaker 16: They you think you got them, they can get out of a lot of different situations that most quarterbacks can't get out of. So we understand that plastering is at a premium from day one of OTA's all the way throughout the season, even when we go good on good. So that definitely has prepared us in a lot of ways of how long we have to defend the play, how disciplined we have to be with our rush lanes, and how discipline we have to be with our eyes.
Speaker 11: Wants to play extends.
Speaker 4: Situation back in the days when we were playing with pigback.
Speaker 16: Yeah, definitely same, same, same type of situation. I think Josh might extend to play even longer.
Speaker 11: But it's very similar to big Ben. Big Ben shoot the heck of a player.
Speaker 16: He extended plays non stop and then you know he had a strong garm as well, could fire the ball to anybody at any point in time.
Speaker 12: Zack defense did such a free job of eliminating big plays from N to eleven on putting back and kind that.
Speaker 7: The bitchy got us in the third quarter, particularly on third.
Speaker 16: Downs that went wrong in this situation, it was it was our own it was our own wrongdoing, and we had great conversations about that. The thing I appreciate about it is, you know, we came to the sideline after those two straight possessions, specifically on third down, third long, when you're really at the advantage as a defense, and we said, look, they're not doing anything we didn't expect them to do.
Speaker 11: They're not doing anything different.
Speaker 16: Everything they've gotten, we had mistakes, so let's go ahead and flush it. And the thing that I think the difference between that moment and early in the season is early in the season it was a snowball. It would have just kept on happening, going, going, going, But now you know, guys were able to put the fire out, and I was.
Speaker 11: I was happy to see that.
Speaker 16: So I think it was a good lesson to learn that this, especially this time of year when you're going against playoff teams, is like I said, you lack, you lack, you lack, or you lack on your job, or you have one mishap, it's gonna be big plays. So I'm glad that it happened. Looking back hindsight twenty twenty in a sense of we understand now that we can't have those moments, and the games never over and the plays never over.
Speaker 4: A couple of other toun.
Speaker 5: Success stacking four playmakers on the one side of the field and then isolded on the other side.
Speaker 4: What's the key to defending that?
Speaker 16: Yeah, man, just switching up the looks, giving them different coverages, giving them different pressures, and just being on point. They do a lot of different stuff pre snap, a lot of a lot of eye candy to try to get you out of whack. But the good thing about it is at the end of the day, they all gonna end up in the same spot.
Speaker 11: So you know, we've seen it before.
Speaker 12: You played in a lot of very cold games against the teams that are a lot of teams that are very committed or running the ball, seems like in Buffalo maybe, despite popular misconception, once established the run, how important is you know, getting into second and long, third, long, going apeal for this defense, especially on a day or maybe things can snowball the winning tennis.
Speaker 4: Yeah like that.
Speaker 16: No, it's definitely important, man, I mean just as a as a if you talk to any defense of player coach, the number one thing they gonna say they have to do is to stop the run. Why you want to stop the run because you want to get the offense behind behind the change. Like, if offense has to consistently play in second, seven plus, third and long, it's gonna be a good day for the defense more times than not. So we always striving to get teams in those situations. Now we can unleash our pass rush. Now we can lease certain pressures and certain coverages and certain looks, and you get a chance to make the offense predictable when they're in second and three, second and four. Now you got to play a run to pass, so you're not necessarily getting a good get off if they passed the ball, you know what I mean. So I think, is it gonna be key, and it's gonna be vital. I think you made a good point, Buffalo. You know everybody thinks they just it's Josh Allen and they just want to throw the ball.
Speaker 11: They want the top rushing teams in the league. And you saw what they did to Denver.
Speaker 16: I think last week they won the game because they established a run and they just pounded those guys.
Speaker 11: So that's the number one thing we could not let happen on that point.
Speaker 10: You know, in recent weeks, Buffalo has been using six linemen. They have a full back that they like. You know, Ran was asking about sort of getting matched up with Lamar and sort of feeling.
Speaker 4: A scapable quarterback that way.
Speaker 10: And he's also beneficial to face an offense that uses some similar personnel groups that you know obviously you guys on offensive like six linemen and have pad yep is that How does that help you prepare?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 16: That helps him prepare. I mean, honestly, you know, people call me bias. I feel like we have the most physical team in the league. It's you know, it's offense and defense. So when we go, when you see big Pat come out there and our big offensive line, especially in training camp, it was some physical, physical battles, so you got no choice but to be physical and be ready here.
Speaker 11: So my guys welcome that challenge. You know, we love it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 16: They bring out X personnel, hey, basically saying they're trying to come bloody your nose.
Speaker 11: So my guys take that challenge and accept it, so you know we'll be ready for that.
Speaker 1: Next we heard from a special teams coordinator, Chris Horton.
Speaker 3: Good to see everyone today.
Speaker 2: See how you guys are all bundled up, but said took that walk from outside right coming indoors.
Speaker 4: You know, just just for us right now.
Speaker 3: You know, it's about Uh, it's really been about us.
Speaker 13: You know.
Speaker 2: These last two days, I've been just really just trying to continue to work on us and our fundamentals and the things that we need to take into this game so we can play our best football. Our guys are going out there, we're playing hard, we're playing physical, but there's still a couple of little things here and there that we want to we want to get out of our system as we as we continue to approach these games. I'm fired up, our guys are fired up, and where we are, I think we're ready to play our best football.
Speaker 11: Questions with Sins, there is a matter of more of decision making or is a tracking the ball? What are some things that you've maybe even talk to him about?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 2: Uh, one of the things one of the things you talk to a veteran guy about, you know, a guy that hasn't been a part of our system, is one you know where you are on the field, you know, and because because some guys are coached across this league other ways, and you know where they fill the ball that and things like that.
Speaker 3: And I just think referring to.
Speaker 2: That, to to that one that he dropped on the eight yard line, Well, it comes down to two things. One, you don't want to fill the ball inside the eight yard line, right and secondly, uh, it comes down to catch fundamentals. We know right now as punt returners, we want to be square underneath the ball. And he tried to catch that ball over over the side. Those are tough, so you know, it's just little things like that that we just got to keep reminding him, Hey, we got to do this the Baltimore way. And he's confident. He's a confident guy and he'll be able to do that. And we have all the confidence in the world.
Speaker 12: And how do you how do you get them all ready to simulate for kicking what might be ten to fifty degree weather in Buffalo?
Speaker 2: You know, I think it uh for the for the guys that for the guys that we have, I think it just comes with experience. You know, the the weather is gonna be what it's gonna be.
Speaker 3: Uh, We've we've.
Speaker 2: Experienced some some weather games and things like that. I don't think uh, for his code is gonna be. I don't know how you how you can simulate that, right besides the days that yesterday we went outside for a second just to try to hit some balls and kick some balls and things like that. That's the only way you can get that done. What it comes down to is really fundamentals, right, just making sure the snap's good, the hold's good, and then the kick right, and then the elements are gonna be what they're gonna be if we if we stay true to all of our fundamentals, we should be good.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I say, hardly get a few years old.
Speaker 16: He hasn't played a little while, but even he has an extensive tracker for the field of funts.
Speaker 10: Which comfortable with him as.
Speaker 2: You know, of course, you know, I think, I think the thing for Deontae is just you know, just getting it back out here's mis a lot of football, right, and just making sure that that that he's ready to go. His body's writing and you know, he's in He's in a good place. And I don't have a problem with him you know, fielding fielding punts or anything like that. It's a matter of okay, is he is he ready to go? We gotta you gotta get him out here and get him running, and he you know, he's saying all the right things, he's doing all the right things, and it's good to see him out here. It honestly is good to see him, you know, starting to pick up the speeds and things like that.
Speaker 12: The Steelers had a punt where they had no returner, they know, eleven on the line.
Speaker 11: Do you do you talk to Jordan about changing things that that in that moment.
Speaker 4: When you notice it, And do you do you ever consider putting all eleven and no punt returner back here?
Speaker 11: Situationally?
Speaker 3: Uh, we consider that things like that.
Speaker 2: But when you do see that, there's certain things in our in our protection that we have to recognize and everyone has to communicate. And when they do have nine guys up in the box, we only have eight protectors, right, so so we're short of guy. So we have certain rules in which we handle protecting the punt and and we just got to make sure, hey, we get the ball off and the most important thing is get the ball off right and then hopefully that ball that ball dies somewhere around the you know, around the ten yard line and things like that, but more importantly, get the ball off.
Speaker 9: How does a person field impact your field goal decisions that that offer?
Speaker 4: How does a frozen field?
Speaker 2: And you know, I just think when we go out there throughout the pregame, I think we'll we'll decide with with Randy and things like that. Okay, what's our line and things like that, how far can we kick from it? Like right now, you know, we really don't know. We don't know what the field condition is gonna be. Like right, I know Buffalo, I think the field will be heated, right so it might not be as frozen as what's outside right now. So all those things can change, and those things we will figure out once we get to once we get into Buffalo.
Speaker 7: Chris, with the Steelers punker being a leave left footed, doesn't that to cause a significant impact.
Speaker 6: In returners cracking the ball?
Speaker 4: That is that something that factors into this?
Speaker 3: You know, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't necessarily think it factors into it. If we were dealing with a rookie, I would I would say, you know, that might be that maybe have a little a little bit of impact on it. But Steven's caught a lot of punts in this in this league, he's called off Righty's he's called off lefties.
Speaker 3: You know, we we have guys.
Speaker 2: You know, we shoot yell lefty jugs. The ball changes a little bit and things like that. But I don't know if that's necessarily has an impact on it. I just think you got to get yourself in position.
Speaker 4: Square up.
Speaker 2: The one that hit the ground, the ball just faded away from him. Again, the most important thing is our job as special teams give the ball back to the offense right. So whether you catch that ball or not, you know, everybody might be a little bit upset with him. We gave the ball back to the offense right, and we go score points.
Speaker 3: So that's that. We take care of that by handling that.
Speaker 2: If you don't feel comfortable catching the ball, don't put yourself in a bad situation. And I think he did the right thing. Ball fading away from him, Let it go. Ball goes to the offense. Win for the Ravens.
Speaker 1: Today at the locker room, we also heard from handful of players, including running back Derrick Henry, they just, uh, how do you kind of just try the mindset going into this game knowing all it's at stake, and.
Speaker 14: The mindset going to this game, Yeah, what do you mean want to win. I mean, so the divisional game, try and get to the next roundstry championship. I guess a a a great opponent, a really good team. You know, yeah, it's gonna be heavyweight fight.
Speaker 1: You can always say every week is supporting to establish a run? Do you feel like that's particularly important in this game? And then how big of a focus is that?
Speaker 14: I mean, we you know, we definitely wanna be afficient in the run game to help the offense up the past game. You know, but we gotta practice, sit and execute it throughout the week to make it happen in the game.
Speaker 6: Do you enjoy running in the cold weather?
Speaker 4: Do you think that's up?
Speaker 14: Ask this question a hundred times. I don't care if it's cold, hot, rainy, a snow.
Speaker 4: They gotta do my job.
Speaker 3: Derek, How much does all the work you put in during the off season?
Speaker 4: Body mean, how much do you think that pays.
Speaker 3: Off at this time of the year.
Speaker 14: I wouldn't do it if it didn't, like I would waste my time it didn't playoff. Uh uh, make sure I do that this summer ready to be able to play help my team win games.
Speaker 1: Is they likely had a pretty powerful stiff farm in the Steelers game.
Speaker 3: Obviously you did it as well.
Speaker 11: We've seen Lamar with some similar stiff arms.
Speaker 10: Did they come to you for advice since you have this kind of legend about your stiff.
Speaker 4: Farm or No, it's just kind of something that they th that they do.
Speaker 14: Uh, they're naturally gifted with I'm not uh stiff farm coordinator. It's if they come naturally, it come natural.
Speaker 10: What what'd you think of Isaiah Likely's.
Speaker 14: I mean, it's seven explanatory. You've seen the video, you've seen the film. It's hell a stiff arm, stiff farm and got some more yards so it'll help A play by him?
Speaker 10: Is that nickname Lamar cooring for your like name mc queen sticking in the.
Speaker 6: MI locker room?
Speaker 3: Do you have you watched cars?
Speaker 13: You've know it?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do. I I don't.
Speaker 14: I don't wanna be calling an anything else but la queen. So don't call me Derek, just call me McQueen.
Speaker 10: No, I don't care.
Speaker 14: It was it was funny. I didn't think it that would be their comparison, But you know, ella ll he's I thought he need to be a community when he's done playing, but I definitely got uh a K.
Speaker 4: You can laugh out of that. Are you telling me has to watch more movies? Or said again, you telling me I has to watch more movies? I think Pixar.
Speaker 3: No, I just I just made sure.
Speaker 4: I said, were you seriously that he was out there?
Speaker 9: Serious?
Speaker 4: I was like, okay, then, well the queen it is. But yeah, it was funny. I don't know who he was talking to.
Speaker 14: You said it might be too old to watch the movie, but I'm sure everybody knows about the too child because everybody seemed.
Speaker 6: Like a queen Derek.
Speaker 4: Is there anything you take away from what happened in the week before?
Speaker 3: You just throw that out before.
Speaker 14: It doesn't mean anything in this game before, as we before, it used to whole another another game and another opportunity.
Speaker 4: They're they're a great team, and uh we gotta prepare a right to be ready for him.
Speaker 1: Next up is safety Darius Washington.
Speaker 13: Car Darius Washington going into the AFC division around this week. You have a different role than you did last year.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, a starter.
Speaker 13: What do you think of when do you give yourself a moment to think back and what you accomplished.
Speaker 3: All this season?
Speaker 17: No, yeah, I'll do all that thing about her reflecting, I'll say after we get to the super Bowl.
Speaker 4: So after that, that's when I'll reflect.
Speaker 13: After the year for sure, observing what went on in the last year's playoffs, did you have any takeaways from those games that you watched or that you played in a little bit?
Speaker 17: Definitely, So I came back to Chiefs games from my injury and everything like that. But uh, the takeaway are two from that that you know, we want to be back in that same uh position, you know what I mean, We don't have the same feeling to definitely be back at that same position.
Speaker 4: You know. It's we was crushed by that, you know what I'm saying. Last year. We feel like that was the one. So we got another opportunity to do it this year.
Speaker 13: What's been the message around the locker room and the meetings and the practices this week about going into Buffalo And I mean, this is a top tier matchup between Buffalo and Raven's Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen.
Speaker 17: I'm gonna just go out there and you know, I handle our business, you know, and not thinking about the matchup or anything like.
Speaker 4: That, you know, But like it's the playoffs.
Speaker 17: You know, I'm sorry, it's a winna go home. So we know it's this stake, you know what I'm saying. Going into their house and I heard his rowley, But you know, fans can't play.
Speaker 4: The game, you know we do?
Speaker 13: Or Darius everyone he says that you play bigger. Was there somebody that taught you how to do that?
Speaker 6: Did you figure that out?
Speaker 4: Case?
Speaker 13: Where's the credit going?
Speaker 17: I just kind of growing up, you know what I mean. I always been the smallest guys, So it just like as years going abo going on.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying, I got to play bigger for sure. Definitely.
Speaker 13: Yeah. What would you say is the hardest part about playing your position?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 4: Just the hardest p part about it? Mm?
Speaker 17: I mean it's really no hard part when you study and prepare, you know what I mean, It really no hard part for it. You know, like you know, you play man, you communicate, you know, you make tackles, you make plays. I wouldn't say it's a hard part, you know what I mean, fun part, fine part.
Speaker 4: Oh, definitely making plays, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 17: And then you know, out there communicating, then you see something out there on the field, you tell one of the guys, you know what I'm saying, they make a play, you know what I mean. So I guess you can say those two things definitely, Uh the best part or Darry say, you.
Speaker 13: Know you talked about the reaction from zac or a couple of weeks ago. How has it been like being coached by him and passionately has throughout this season and the turnaround for.
Speaker 1: The guys are been.
Speaker 17: I mean, it means a lot, you know what I'm saying, being coached like a guy like that that's always energetic, you know what I'm saying, uplifting and the most you wanna go, uh run through a wall for that guy, you know what I mean. So, I mean it means a lot for me to being coached by him, you know what I'm saying. So to take away from his energy and uh his smartness, you know what I'm saying, He knows, he knows the game, he played the game, you know what I'm saying, So learn from from God like that means like.
Speaker 1: And just for this game, Uh going up against un quarterbacks can make plays with his legs.
Speaker 4: Uh H.
Speaker 1: How do you try to make sure that you're ready for both of 'em the broken plays could come your in your direction.
Speaker 4: I mean, everyone just doing their job, you know what I mean, everyone just doing their job. And then when when he.
Speaker 17: Scrambling around and moved around like that, you know, we plaster you know what I'm saying. We find a guy to get to cause, like you know, he he's talented, he can run, he can throw.
Speaker 4: The ball on the move. So he just stick to our frontamentals.
Speaker 13: Is that?
Speaker 10: But it is kind of getting known for these third down or down tackles right at the line. What's does does your mentality.
Speaker 3: Shift when you have short yarded to go?
Speaker 6: Or or how does that that work?
Speaker 10: Why do you think you've you find yourself in so many of these players.
Speaker 17: I mean I just so happen to be there, you know what I mean. So like it's my play to make. So like whenever it's my player to make, I don't feel like anything shifted anything like that. It just make the play, you know what I mean. When his first, second, third, third, and long whatever it is, when it's time to make my play, I just think, like, you know, make that play. You know, out of the ten guys are count on me to make that play.
Speaker 4: So that's my main thing.
Speaker 10: I know you've struggled with hope a little bit in the first few years here.
Speaker 4: That being said, were you pretty.
Speaker 10: Confident this is the player you could be when you got a chance.
Speaker 17: Absolutely, absolutely, Definitely my preparation and hard work and dedication.
Speaker 4: Definitely. I definitely feel like our be this play for sure.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Past podcast, make sure you subscribe. Also head over to the Lounge podcast feat as well. Thank you so much for listening, and we'll be back with you again tomorrow.