Speaker 1: I Am all in again. Oh it's you. I Am All in Town meeting with Suzanne French and Tara suit An iHeartRadio podcast. Hey guys, welcome back to another episode of I'm All in Town Meeting with myself, Tara, and Susanne.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: Hello. We're talking about Season two, Episode four, road Trip to Harvard, which aired October twenty three, two thousand and one, and this is a special episode I kind of forget, you know, it's really funny. Out of all things that I distinctly remember about this episode is the outfit that Rory wore going to Harvard, because she had this thick gray sweater wrapped around her and I was like, oh, yeah, she's going Harvard because of this outfit.
Speaker 2: I hated the T shirt she had on. I even mentioned it to my husband, like it just was I don't know, it was too tight. And when they were standing there staring at the library and she just was she like standing like just in this weird position, her mouth was hanging open. I don't know, I just I did not like that outfit.
Speaker 1: I didn't mind it, but I was just like, why'd they give her this giant gray sweater to wrap around her? Waist. Mind you if you remember back then, it was totally instyl to wrap around yeah, and then it like went away and it was like such a like not cool thing to do. And I always tie my sweater around my waist now, like always because I'm like, well it's hot, so but I'm gonna be cold later. But like for a TV show for them to just like have her wrap around this sweater was it was just so funny to me. I was like, Laurelin doesn't have a sweater on, yeah, or maybe she did, but it wasn't wrapped. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was just and the other since we're talking fashion at the end, the last scene, the sideways baseball cap on Rory, that was not working for me.
Speaker 1: Oh, speaking of hats, while we're here, the man in the diner with this blue, wrinkly bucket hat kiss me off the whole time, and he was right in the shot. And then actually Luke mentioned like, oh, nice hat, like or whatever. I'm like, no, this hat was so distracting in the diner. It was pissing me off there. You know.
Speaker 2: I think that we could do like a whole episode about bad hats in this series because there's a problem with hats.
Speaker 1: It was just wrinkly, Like why why couldn't we like iron it out a little? You know what I mean? It was like they found and also what was the point of the hat? Like, yeah, it wasn't needed. And it was.
Speaker 2: Saying that sarcastically because he was like making fun of it.
Speaker 1: I don't know, maybe, but like I don't know, it was just we didn't need the hat. Yeah, no, it was just it was just funny. I'm so happy you also noticed that hat, because I was like, God, damn, this stupid hat.
Speaker 2: The hats were bad.
Speaker 1: You know. The interesting thing about this episode and when it comes to doing our town meeting is when you're out of the town, I don't have much to like call out because we're in such a different place. However, I do know that Harvard is actually UCLA. It is which is the school that you went to?
Speaker 2: I did?
Speaker 1: I did?
Speaker 2: I went to UCLA. So when they first the very first time I saw this episode and I saw them standing there, I'm like, that is UCLA. Like I knew it immediately, and I can picture, like I know, watching the whole thing, I could picture exactly where they were in everything.
Speaker 1: Oh that's what I was gonna ask. I was gonna say, like, do you know what building these were? And yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So the funny part was that when they first get there and they're standing there looking at the gate, when they're looking through the gate, that was in the sculpture garden. But when when the so when the camera's looking at them from the back there in one yeah, but when the camera's looking at them from the front, they're in a completely different place.
Speaker 1: Well you can tell because the lighting. There's sun hitting them from the back or from the side. So then I was like, they totally just shot this, Like was it still on UCLA property just a different place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's on campus. It just was in a different spot.
Speaker 1: I could tell because the lighting and it was bugging me right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I noticed that too. There was another scene too where they were uh oh, when they were at the coffee cart and it was sunny, and then when they're walking across the lawn it was all of a sudden overcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, which is I guess. You know, it's hard to do when you're you can't control the weather, right.
Speaker 2: Especially if you only have like if you have to get everything done in one day and it takes time to shift and move everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it can happen. I feel like the chessure Cat was like such a thing, but it was only in this episode, right, we don't see it again?
Speaker 2: They so, yeah, we only saw it in this episode. Although in the the episode where the independence in burns down, they mentioned the cheshire Cat, but it doesn't It sounds like they're not referring to this place.
Speaker 1: It's like they just read yeah.
Speaker 2: Because Michelle's on the phone and he's like, is this the cheshire Cat? Do you have any job openings? Like the all the fires happening. But they're trying to put guests there too, so it wouldn't be close enough if it's chesher Cat, it wouldn't be close enough for them to put guests there.
Speaker 1: No, they took a I think they just pulled road trip to get to the chesshure Cat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was so I don't know. I thought those scenes were hilarious.
Speaker 1: Though, Oh my god, when she literally when they go into the room and they open the door and lare realize like, ah, what's wrong. She's like flowers, so many flowers.
Speaker 2: I have researched this and I didn't come up with anything, but there. I don't know if if any of our listeners will remember this, but there was a short story I read it in college in an English class called The Yellow Wallpaper, and it was about this woman who's I can't remember the exact story, but her husband like puts her, he like puts her.
Speaker 1: In a room.
Speaker 2: It's like a mental health thing, and she starts to see the wallpaper like coming alive, and it's like really creepy, and she's like kind of descending into further into mental illness. And I almost wonder like if that was a very oblique reference to that short story, because it's the it's this yellow floral wallpaper and they're talking about how it's moving because it's you know, it's.
Speaker 1: About the fact I wouldn't be surprised knowing Amy and Dan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Amy's very literary, so I I but it's it's not a like super well known short story, but it just always made me wonder like it just made an impression on me when I read it thirty years ago, and so I immediately thought of that when I.
Speaker 1: I loved the moment where they're like we have like a nine minute window or whatever time they said to go get food and they go down there and everyone's bird watching, and I know, we don't.
Speaker 2: Put things like this on the freaking list.
Speaker 1: It kind of gave us the quirkiness of stars Hollow that we didn't get in a different town.
Speaker 2: It really did, like it really would have fit right in with stars Hollow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wouldn't have been surprised if it was like the next town over and then they're like there was a whole like storyline with the Cheshire Like I kind of would have liked it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, I thought it was great. And the actress that played Ladawn, I've seen her in other things. She was I don't know if you ever saw bless this Mess. It was. It only had two seasons. It was with Dax Shephard and Rose Abdu was actually in.
Speaker 1: It, oh okay, and it was very it was.
Speaker 2: About it was kind of the stereotypical story this New York young couple moves to farm country to it was like a green Acre's kind of story. Almost. Yeah, it's like this town full of quirky people, just like stars Hollow. And she was one of the one of the people in the town in that series. And she was really good and She also played in My Name Is Earl. She played them she was Earl's mom for Oh, okay, so I've seen her so she was great. And then I don't know anybody who remembers la Law. Susan Rutan was the couple that Rory was talking to when Laurel I went to make a phone call and she was, yeah, it was for l A Law. So it was nice to see her again.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know, I have never seen anything they were in, but they were great in this episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just the whole, the whole little inn I just thought was hilarious.
Speaker 1: So cute. A couple of call outs I had was some of the scenes at Harvard. I was really like, who's whose dorm door is? Just and then you're gonna go in it and sit on the bed. Yeah, and mind you. I thought it was really funny the like you know Susie, like there's a thirty percent chance her name is Susie like Lauren or sorry Loralai being like quirky like that was really fun, but it was just like not realistic to like just walk into someone's dorm And also like, don't like dorms. I never lived in a dorm. But like both of those buildings have like key cards to like scan in, so.
Speaker 2: Yes, they they do. So that part was a little unrealistic because even when I lived in a dorm in the nineties, we had to swipe our badge to get in like our student id cars.
Speaker 1: And even then your door is not left wide open.
Speaker 2: Well, no, we did. It depends on the dorm that you lived in. Because some of the dorms only had one bathroom per floor, so it wasn't that uncommon you'd prop your door open if you were just gonna run to the bathroom and come out. Oh okay, I don't know that that was necessarily I mean we saw the room. There was no bathroom in there, so.
Speaker 1: There was barely room for a bed, right, So when.
Speaker 2: That part was okay to me because we did do that, like you'd prop out it open and run like or you'd okay, so you know, take your friend, you know, borrow a pen or something like, you might do that. But it was still it made me nervous when she was in there though, I'm like, get out of the room, get out of the radow.
Speaker 1: The whole time I couldn't pay attention to the scene because I was like, the person living in this room is about to walk in.
Speaker 2: And I did notice that when Laurlai took the picture of Rory at the desk, she sets her coffee cup down and then she leaves without her coffee cup.
Speaker 1: So I did notice that, and also she like completely like well, I couldn't at first. I was like, is this her notebook? And I'm like, oh no, it's a notebook just there and she just like shuts it and moves on. But yeah, she loft the coffee cup.
Speaker 2: The lecture hall that they were in. I thought that was a cute scene. Marory just like jumps in and starts participating.
Speaker 1: She was always yeah, so yes. And then when you know, when Laura I is outside looking at the Valedictorians. Okay, so I had to stop the episode because they zoomed in on one specific person and lorale I kept looking at someone named Erica Hilson Palmer, and I was like, did I miss something from the show? Like is this someone that like I was supposed to know about or then I'm like racking my brain of like do we see this person in the future? And I found this article if you guys google, like who is Erica Hilson Palmer and Gilmore girls. It's like the top article that comes up. It's really long, so I'm not going to read it for you, But basically they were they think, like there is a theory could be wrong that this is someone that Laura I knew like growing up, because it said she graduated in nineteen ninety and it would have lined up with when Laura I graduated college. So it literally just could have been someone she knew, and she's looking at like the life she maybe could have had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I partially agree with that. I don't think she actually knew that person, but I think she did. I think she was thinking this could have been me because she would have been the class of nineteen ninety and she did. At the end of the episode, when she's back at Luke's diner, she says to him how she was thinking about all the things she had to give up, Yeah, because of her situation and the things that might have been that weren't ever gonna happen now. So I think it's true that she's thinking about the possibilities of like what if I had been able.
Speaker 1: To go to college because of her graduating years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't think she necessarily knew that person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is what people were saying, like it could have been specifically about the year because there's only one valedictorian a year. I would think, yeah, typically typically, so it would have been nineteen ninety. But I think it just threw me off because I was like, and it kept going. It wasn't like a second like it was. It showed her, and then it showed Laura, and then it showed her again, and I'm like, is this something I missed missing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they showed it again after Laura, after Rory comes out of the classroom, they start to walk away, she like looks at it again as they're passing by. So they aid a point to show it for sure.
Speaker 1: To show it. Yeah, But you know, the more I think about it, it definitely had to do with the year because I kind of I didn't fully connect the dots of I was just thinking of the person and not the year. But when you say at the end where she was talking to Luke about like, oh what could have been and this and that, it was more of, Yeah, if she was graduating that year and she didn't have Rory, what would life be like?
Speaker 2: Yeah? My only bone to pick with this episode is when they come home and they pull up to the house and lorele I sees there's like, we don't know yet what she's seeing, but she gets a look on her face because she sees something. And then it turns out she's looking at the hoopa that's still in front of the front door. I when I first watched the episode way back when I thought Max was gonna be sitting there.
Speaker 1: Oh, and when she's.
Speaker 2: Looking at the hoopa, I was kind of disappointed, like because we never saw Max getting the news that the wedding is off. Oh, you're right, And so I've always felt like, I mean, that's kind of just how Amy Sherman Palladino works, Like she leaves the important things to your imagine, like she'll hint at it, but yeah, you leave stuff to your imagination. But it's that that one thing is just kind of always bugged me that we never saw Max getting the news. So I assume that Laura I must have called him at some point during she didn't leave him at the altar because the wedding hasn't happened.
Speaker 1: It hasn't happened, you know, I'm gonna say she never called him, and like Suki made the call or something.
Speaker 2: Maybe I don't know, that's a lot to put on Suki, though.
Speaker 1: Suki told the whole town.
Speaker 2: Well, but Suki told Miss Patty and.
Speaker 1: The true, true, true.
Speaker 2: But that would be a lot to put on your best friend, Like can you call my fiance and tell him I'm not going to marry him?
Speaker 1: Like that's but just knowing knowing Laurela, I, I I don't think that she called him right away, mind you. I think she called him eventually, but I feel like she left town and then decided when she call him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think she called him before they left town. But but then when they meet up later, like there's something there's there's an episode I want to say, season three where she meets up with him again at when they were going to be on CNN or something, and when Paris finds out she didn't get into Harvard anyways. That episode, she runs into him and she makes the comment about how like I never talked to you or we never talked about it. She says something about how they never talked about it. But I can't believe that she just didn't tell him at that, like she couldn't just disappear.
Speaker 1: She probably just left a voicemail, to be honest.
Speaker 2: And that could be it. Yeah, maybe she did, but we just never know, so we just have to imagine what we think happened, because they never do tell us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if it was up to me, I would think she made the decision, left town and was like, how am I going to tell him this? And then she called him when she knew that he wasn't going to be home. She left a voicemail and that was the end of it. And they never had because I think even if like he did pick up the phone hypothetically, like that would be an exchange of a conversation, but it sounds like from and I don't remember the scene. I know, I remember the gist of the scene. I don't remember exactly what was said that you're talking about in that episode, but from that, it makes me feel like he never got to say his piece, and so it was just it was larelized decision and that was it. And like then at the end when they're at the Gilmour's house and she's telling Emily, and Emily's like whose decision was? And she was like mine. It was very just like there was no conversation. I made the decision. I did like going to that scene. I did like the banter about the gift, yes, and I did like that Emily didn't give her that heart of a time, like, she didn't really give her hard time. She kind of was just like. But then again, I think that Emily didn't want her to get married, so maybe internally she was happy about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Emily is still holding out for Lorelei to find somebody that is of the appropriate So standing yes for Emily's opinion, but yeah, I think I think she had kind of accepted it because she knows that she can't. She's not gonna change Laurelized mind on anything. So I think she was you know, she got them a gift and all that, but I think she was happy that it wasn't gonna happen.
Speaker 1: And the next episode is I am so excited And I know our producer Jackie has never seen this either. Next episode is season two, episode five, Nick and Nora sit and Nancy and if you don't know, this is where we see Jess for the first time.
Speaker 2: This is one of my favorite episodes in the entire seventh season.
Speaker 1: It's so good on again. Okay, so I didn't know this is the one that Jess. So you guys did a little spoil what we I bet you We're gonna get off the zoom and Jackie's gonna go watch it the second.
Speaker 2: It's so good. I love it.
Speaker 1: I can't wait. I feel like the next episode. Do we need Jackie, We need you to give us your take on your first impression of Jess because of someone, I don't know what it's like to have that feeling again, satisfaction. I will for sure write notes and give you my take.
Speaker 2: Okay cool.
Speaker 1: Jackie will jump in next week and we'll talk to her about it. But until next week, meeting adjourn everybody, don't forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.