Speaker 1: My name is Clay Neukleman. This is a production of the bear Grease podcast called The bear Grease Rendered where we render down, dive deeper, and look behind the scenes of the actual bear Grease podcast, presented by f HF Gear, American Maid, purpose built hunting and fishing gear that's designed to be as rugged as the place as we explore. So you were you were a firefighter for four years?
Speaker 2: Yep, I was a firefighter for four years.
Speaker 3: City of Cookville did this program, I guess basically a scholarship where you worked as a full time firefighter.
Speaker 2: They paid your tuition, and so I did that.
Speaker 3: After I came home from I went to play college baseball, got up there, didn't like college baseball, had a you know, a reason to come back home. So I came back home and my dad was like, oh, it's too late to transfer. You're gonna work in a factory assembling airbags for six months. And that was miserable. So I decided to go to school and the City of Cookville was doing that student firefighter program. And I had a couple uncles side and uncle that was a Detroit firefighter for twenty years. There's a job, right if you watched that documentary No Burn about the city of Detroit. This was back in early two thousands. I guess where there was this big you know, they light these houses on fire in town and guys were getting hurt where nobody there.
Speaker 2: Was no real loss of value and real loss of life.
Speaker 3: There's no lives in there, but guys were getting hurt and it was they basically had stand down orders. It's it's crazy because their equipment was you know, trash and and run down and so yeah, it's called burn burn.
Speaker 1: What did you get your degree in? Hold on? Let me let me introduce, let me reduce our guests. This is really frowning from Cookville, Tennessee.
Speaker 3: Second appearance right first, Yeah, I call her second type.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were on the Bear Grease Surrender when we were in Tennessee at the at the media tell which that film came out, which that film came out, which as a unique meteor film. And uh, you're your cameraman.
Speaker 3: Here man Scott and friend and friend you know, like he gets attached to a friend to friend to Yep, I guess you can as long as I.
Speaker 4: Don't screw up the hunt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's what I was that's what I was thinking.
Speaker 2: It's a very you know, it's it's dependent on his actions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would like to I would like to pull the Bear Grease audience of how many people know who Rich Froning is. Just raise your hand and if you're in your car, if you knew who who Rich Fronie was, see that hand. Apparently Rich is a big deal.
Speaker 2: I'm told he used to be. I'm told you know formerly he's a retired.
Speaker 1: Scott had to tell tell everybody everybody knows who Rich is. But if you were describing who you worked for, who is Rich? Give give like the the the g version.
Speaker 4: Four time fittest man on Earth, six times fittest team on Earth. Uh, multiple business owner, father Christian.
Speaker 3: Husband's servant of christ husband at Hillary Froning and father of three something like that.
Speaker 2: Yep, Yeah, that's pretty good. It's bout all I got.
Speaker 1: That's good man. Well, so we're in Oklahoma right now. You might be you might have noticed that we're not at the Bear Grease World the headquarters where we're in Oklahoma with it's ain't no early January, and we're deer hunting.
Speaker 3: Weird deer hunting, that's what we would call it. I guess over your shoulder there.
Speaker 1: I'd say, we're deer hunt. Yeah, and we've we've had a pretty we've had a good hunt so far. A lot of actions, a lot of actions yet to be determined on the full outcome of everybody. But Bear's been hunting. Rich has been hunting. I've been hut. I killed this buck yesterday? Is it right there?
Speaker 2: Other side? No? Right, you're right, yep, yep, you're good.
Speaker 1: Over there, Yeah, this way to the Yeah, we're both hunting. The Oklahoma season last till January fifteenth, and man, I like.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's cool, that's up. Man, I've really enjoyed Oklahoma. Yeah, it's been fun.
Speaker 1: Oklahoma raised their non resident tags like exponentially this year.
Speaker 2: I noticed, like.
Speaker 1: Double tag, like, hey, as they should, right, Yeah, I'm okay.
Speaker 2: With keep the foreigners out, keep us out, keep the trash out. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I saw you can do a lifetime non resident license, though, so I have a I have a non resident Tennessee license. And I don't know if that's just because you have to buy a hunting like a qualifying license then you buy your deer tags or deer license separate. But I noticed on there that there was an Oklahoma non resident lifetime license.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know what that is. I don't think you can those anymore.
Speaker 2: Okay, I thought I saw it on there when I was going through it.
Speaker 1: But well, as I understand that they used to sell those, but they don't sell them anymore. But I don't I don't know what you would have seen, though. I saw it because in the regulation, like there's some group of group of people that have a non resident lifetime license. Because when I was a kid, we could have bought that. We lived close to Oklahoma and my dad. I remember my dad telling me, like when I was like ten, he was like, they thought about getting us a non resident Oklahoma license. Yeah, just because we could.
Speaker 2: You could, you might as well.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've got one in Tennessee and all my kids have them, and theirs was exponentially cheaper, right doing it when they were, you know, sub five years old versus me at whatever, I was thirty years old, yeah, twenty five, twenty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we're bo hunting and then bears doing a little trapping. Yep, how many traps she got out right now? I think I've got six out right now? Yo, traps.
Speaker 5: We've got like a gang set in a cluster of per symmetries.
Speaker 1: We put like a camera up expecting.
Speaker 5: To see deer and hogs, right, but we ended up getting a group of yodies coming in there more than anything.
Speaker 1: So we set up four or five in there. That was just a couple on the roads. I just had to ditch my contact.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was pretty well.
Speaker 1: It just I think it just like went bad, just like that, you know how they.
Speaker 2: Do try up.
Speaker 1: So we found this patch of per simmons, probably like twenty five trees and you know, like a ten square yard area like trees like this big, and a month ago it was loaded, I mean just loaded with per Simmons, thousands, one hundred thousands, I don't know. Big lips were just like leaning off these trees and big per Simmons, I thought. And there was hog tracks and deer tracks under all this, and so we put up a camera and left it there, and to our surprise, more than deer and more than hogs, the coyotes were coming in there per Simmons, which actually he.
Speaker 5: Explains a lot because like you know, sometimes you're walking in the woods and you see like a pile of scats that's like too big to be a coon, but too small to be a bear.
Speaker 1: But it's got per Simmons in it. Yeah, since yodies. Yeah yeah, I thought, I mean, so he's We've were setting some traps in there, and uh it was so last night I was able to check my phone because we put a camera up watching the Percimon thicket with our traps out, and I know for sure two kylots came in there and spooked, but we were beating around so much left a lot of scent, Like tonight will be better because you know, we're not he he's going to check it, but we's not. He's not going to go in there and set traps, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But uh so a lot of a lot of hogs over here too, A ton of hogs, mystery hogs. Yeah, what's interesting if you were just a walk around this place, I mean there's hog tracks everywhere.
Speaker 2: That is that right where every time we're walking around.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you just get out of your truck and are random and you could.
Speaker 2: Just tell what they're nosing through and just ruin in the ground. A lot of rooting, a lot of rooting.
Speaker 1: You would think that hunting over here for three days that you'd see hogs every time you sat. But we have had cameras up for two months over here, and I've got daylight pictures of hogs, probably less than five times, but they're but they're in front of my cameras every day, Like I don't know where they go. You know, when when uh, when Europeans first came to North America, they thought that the bears, some people did thought that bears migrated because they were just gone, like in the winter time, like their bears all over the place, and then you know about November, they were just gone and they thought they were like Mallard ducks, like, well, they must have went somewhere. I'm pretty sure that these these hogs migrated out of here during the day daily. Migro, Yeah, like over that mountain. I mean, I don't know. Maybe the guys over on that side and they're like, dude, we got hogs during the daylight, but we can't get a nighttime hog picture.
Speaker 2: You know, isn't there a gap out here?
Speaker 1: A gap? There's a gap right here, probably a major hog migration cor gap there.
Speaker 2: That's what we call that hogs gap there. It is hogs gap there it is.
Speaker 1: That's it. Now, this is a fun place to hunt.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's awesome. It's been really cool.
Speaker 3: And even you know, we're we're out what you say, about three miles ish and even that's just cool to drive through. And it's it's been you know, mining Scott's commute every morning and afternoon. Is I mean we saw deer when we were driving in back in last night, crossing in front of us.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 2: And then four free range wild steers, one with a bum leg. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So this is a this is a working cattle ranch, and so they had they've they've got some stragglers out here.
Speaker 2: We're cursed with with cattle when we're hunting.
Speaker 3: We uh, when we would go out west the first couple of times of Colorado, we'd be out in the middle of the National Forest and you'd oh, here here, here comes something walking through the woods and all of a sudden, just a beef cow, you know, because farmers can lease the property. But I'm like, we're ten thousand feet it's like not a cliff, but it's steep, sure enough, just a mookw.
Speaker 4: You're not in a good place for a beef cow to be.
Speaker 2: No, no, so.
Speaker 5: I hunted some spots where you can't lease, like you know, there's no free range cattle, but you'll still see cows. Like every now and then there will be just like a herd of cows out on the road or something that got loose.
Speaker 4: Maybe they're like wild horses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now i'd shoot one though, you know, National forest one, National forest cow. Rich tell me about So you got got into hunting. I mean you grew up doing some hunting, but you kind of like got into hunting big, like seven eight years ago.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, so I grew up in a hunting family from from Michigan. Originally moved to Tennessee when I was forced Tennessee's home. Oh, we actually have more than Michiganders on this podcast. Well technically, so brought before the podcast. We brought up a very interesting point.
Speaker 1: So Rich moved from Michigan when he was four years old years old, and I told him, I said, Rich, if you moved to the South before you're five, like you're not technically you get a pass. Yeah, you kind of you kind of acclimate. But if you move to the South when you're like Scott or ten Scott's yeah, I mean, like like this guy.
Speaker 3: He'll never get it out of his system. I'm I was, it's gone. You know, there's not much left.
Speaker 2: I moved to the South when I was four too. Okay, yep, So we're we're good. What year?
Speaker 6: What how do you I'm getting ready to I'll be forty nine. I was born in seventy six.
Speaker 2: How old are you? Thirty seven thirty seven? Just kids, babies?
Speaker 1: So so so you're you're you're good.
Speaker 2: I'm good, all right.
Speaker 1: But we've got I mean three Michiganders here.
Speaker 3: For me, Tennessee is home, right, so like it's that's that's home for me. Oh my family, Like I've got some extended family cousins and aunts and uncles that live in Michigan.
Speaker 2: But Tennessee's home.
Speaker 3: So but both places are you know, they're whitetail country really, you know, there's our houses. When rifle season opens, there's orange in the woods everywhere. So I had uncles at hunted and so I was around it and did some of it, but I was super impatient, and I didn't like getting up early, so I didn't hunt a ton and you know, sports and all that, and so I would say around two thousand and fourteen or fifteen, had a good friend of mine. His dad was like, man, white tail hunting sucks, Come hunt turkeys.
Speaker 2: And I was like, all right, I'll give it a shot.
Speaker 3: And fell in love. And you know, because I was always outside like my parents. If we were inside and we couldn't find something to do outside, they were going to find us something to do outside.
Speaker 2: So you know, hey, go get lost in the woods.
Speaker 3: So we were out in the woods with BB guns and you know, doing dumb stuff that boys doing the woods. But I wasn't ever really hunting, but I grew up in the woods and so to me, it really just feels like doing that again and a kid again. And so started with turkeys, and then through that I had a friend that was like, hey, if you like turkey hunt, you should try elk hunting. So I went on an elk hunt in two thousand and eighteen, I think was my first one, okay, and didn't see an elk on a guided rifle hunt, but fell in love. Didn't see one single elk, hurt a bugle as soon as we stepped out of the truck on the first morning, and then never saw one again. And so but fell in love. I mean, we think My guide was awesome. He taught me a ton and we went after him and you could just tell by the end of the week he was he was a little bit distraught. He was like, man, this is the hardest I've ever hunted with somebody, because I was willing to go any and everywhere. We actually put my other friend Matt in. Basically he got to the point where he thought he needed to go to the hospital that we'd walked that much, like, seriously, wouldn't He didn't hunt the next morning one day because he thought he had rabdo, which is like where your muscle tissue breaks down, and like he was messed rabo.
Speaker 2: It's called rabdo. My lisis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So basically, you if you it happens a lot in in like car accident victims, but also if you work out with too much intensity and then some people are genetically predisposed to it. But your muscle tissue will actually break down and go into your bloodstream and go to your kidneys, and so people it's.
Speaker 2: A big thing.
Speaker 3: Early on in CrossFit, people had you know, they were they saw that happening.
Speaker 2: But it's kind of like people have kind of figured.
Speaker 3: That out that hey, maybe we shouldn't push people so hard right right off the couch, you know.
Speaker 1: Wow, So y'all y'all hunted that hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thought he was dead.
Speaker 3: So and then you know, for the next three years we did over the counter, public land, elk hunting man and it was we ground.
Speaker 2: We we hit the ground hard, and then we f.
Speaker 1: In the fitness like you were when you hit the mountains where you I mean, I know, oh you were like fully capable, but did you I mean was it hard?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, I mean I think it's as hard as you want to make it right, you know, like we I mean when we go like, that's just the style too, that we were doing it and we were so new to it. I didn't know what, you know, We're like, oh, we just got a cover ground to find him right on public land. We were huffing it man. We I was beyond prepared, I feel like, and so yeah, yeah, I mean I don't think there was any I don't think we ever had really any learning curve other than like, were you with.
Speaker 1: Him when he was first out cutting Scott?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so all the public land stuff I did, Oh Scott, well for context too, about you being prepared the you were still he was still competing in crossfits, so the season would end in August. Yeah, so he was at his fittest he will be the entire year in August, and then a couple weeks later we were on the mountain.
Speaker 1: So he was ready to go. But he can only be as fast and go as far as his camera. That's true if you're filming, that's true.
Speaker 3: And I with Scott, I've I've never once questioned, oh, should we do this?
Speaker 2: Like me and him just we talked about it. We've talked about it.
Speaker 3: We've we've both kind of, I guess grown in hunting as a team, almost as weird as that sounds. And like as much as you know, I'm the one taking the shot, he's getting a shot with the camera. So it's like we bounce ideas off of each other and we both kind of we've we've messed it up together and we've we've succeeded together. So it's kind of cool that we we kind of joke with our wives like we'll send a picture of us actually hunting that we're not just like disappearing off you know, like yeah, right, just hanging out. So but yeah, it's been it's been really cool because for me, you know, like when I think of hunting, you know, like when people do these like long, individual like solo hunts, Like, no part of me does that sound like fun.
Speaker 2: Like I like hanging.
Speaker 3: Even if it's you know, even if we're just here at camp and we go one way, you go another way, and we all come back to there's just something about that comrade that like team aspect to it. Me growing up playing team sports man. I just I just really enjoy it. It really is a primal thing, it really is. It just feels right, right connection. Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well luckily you're bunched up with one good hunter.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 3: Soon Yeah, yeah, I mean we can talk about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I last night, me and Scott had one come in, come in the way that we wouldn't think he would come in. I mean, but it's it's a it's a good learning, you know, like I'm early on my white tail experience and you know, I've I think we talked about it. You're like, hey, you know, the farther that shot gets, the less, you know, I feel super comfortable taking a far shot because we do a lot of those tacks and stuff like that I shoot every day, Yeah, pretty much every day, starting well now that I've shot pretty much every day for a year. But anyway, it uh like I'm super comfortable in those situations. Deer comes behind us, Scott's like, oh here comes some doze. Oh little buck. He's not a shooter, Scott and so and so I'm faced this way. Yeah, we're in saddles. We're in saddles. And I turn and I'm like, that's that's definitely a shooter.
Speaker 2: So I'm just slowly grab my bow.
Speaker 3: So I've got my hand on my bow and I get it off my the little hook I've got, and i just turn. And so he's kind of still coming, and he stops, and our wind is kind of going not to him, but in front of him, and so I'm like, I've got to make a decision pretty quick. But he starts doing the stomp and just looking. He does not like the situation. And I'm trying to turn, and as I'm turning, my heart's like pounding out of my chest right and so as I'm turning, I'm putting so much pressure somehow on an artery somewhere that I'm starting to get lightheaded because I'm in the saddle right, your neck is about to twist seriously and so like I'm like, everything's closing in. So I'm like, all right, I can't do that, so I'm waiting here. So then he turns and I'd ranged a bunch of trees and luckily having you know, we've shot a bunch not cold, but like guessing at distances just to see, and he was right at thirty eight yards thirty seven yards, yeah, and I draw drew and because he turned perfect broadside and was about to leave, and I let one go at forty and we using my forty pin and man, it looked great. And then that last second the whitetail do what they do, and when he went to turn to go, he just dipped just enough and we found blood immediately, we found good blood.
Speaker 2: And then yeah, going and so we went back.
Speaker 3: I could watch the video and it looks like there's there's a perfect like evergreen branch right where it would have hit. But we think it got either brisket or I mean not brisket backstrap or something.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, it looked. Man, when you showed me your arrow when you got back, it's.
Speaker 2: Got meat on it.
Speaker 3: It passed through, but it's just so weird or maybe it glanced, I don't know, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I feel pretty confident that deer is totally fine.
Speaker 2: He's just laughing at us a fleshman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a bummer.
Speaker 2: It was a deer.
Speaker 1: That's that's the hard part. I hear a lot of guys. I mean, you know, there's a lot of emphasis on long range shooting and all this, and uh, and that's good. It's good, and there's a place for it. But man, a deer, I don't care how good you are a deer past thirty yards, a white tailed deer, it's it's a long. It's just long. There's just a lot lot Yeah, and you know, you guys get good at, you know, watching the deer and kind of calculating what he's gonna do and how he's gonna drop. But I mean, you really want to shoot white tails inside of thirty yards for sure?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've learned that.
Speaker 1: I mean, and and and I know everybody's like, well, what about such and such. He's a great shot, he is, And and then there's also a lot of guys that document a lot of long shots and uh, and I know there's probably a lot of stuff they don't show too of getting away and not to their discredit. I mean I haven't shown every deer that I've probably not made a great shot on. I mean, it happens sometimes, but my point is.
Speaker 6: I try to that if I'm gonna miss, I just completely completely.
Speaker 1: Well, that's a blessing really or yeah, and it's also a blessing that, like you guys had this on video and so we were able to watch it and you know pretty conclusively we're like, yeah, that deer was shot through the backstraps.
Speaker 3: And we looked for what two hour hour and a half last night and then two hours this morning.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we went far, we went far in every direction. He is not there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, and like if you had to hit the deer back, you know, that would be one direction that you could hit a bad deer, and it would be a bad shot. That's a mortally wounded animal if it's passing through and it's hit anywhere in the punch or anywhere in the diaphragm, obviously, and I mean, that's that's an animal that we're still looking for right now, or you know we would be if you had done that. Yeah, but man, when you get any kind of peripheral shot, if it's a low brisket or high up in the back straps.
Speaker 3: I mean, so you found your arrow, found my arrow covered in meat, not necessarily blood. But then we see blood immediately tracked it for probably you know, fifty yards, and then you start seeing big puddles. Yeah, we're like sweet, well, then drip again, and then big puddles and then drip again. Then he walked through some like kind of oak growth and just blood everywhere, and then drip, drip gon and we I mean we were how far how far out did you was the blood where you shot?
Speaker 2: Hundred and fifty ish? Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, aboute hundred fifty yards tops. So yeah, man, it was you know, bad nights sleeping, and then we're sitting there this morning. I'm like, all right, let's go look. And then you're still a little bit optimism there, you know, like, oh yeah, yeah, sure enough, you know it looked good blood, but just was not there. We tried, man, but yeah, well we still got We still got tonight tomorrow morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at least two more hunts.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: A lot could happen between now and then there's some people that probably don't really even know what CrossFit is. I would have been I mean I would have known that it was like a way to work out.
Speaker 3: But you just heard somebody talking about CrossFit. That's kind of the joke is like you know, you know somebody does cross it because they're going to tell you about crossing, right, Yeah, yeah, yeah, and you know yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean you kind of gave me a you said, like it so taking all work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Basically, you know a guy named Greg Lassman sort of the thing where he took running, biking, rowing, swimming, powerlifting, which would be you know, the deadlift, bench squat and Olympic lifting with some of the accessory lifts there, plus body weight movements and kind of just mixed them all into one thing and then just find I guess what you would say fitness because you know, like if you were to say what makes somebody fit, you know, is it? Is it cardio respiratory endurance? Is it the person that can lift the most, Is it the person that can bit the farthest? Or is it the person that can do all of those things? Maybe not necessarily the best in each specialty. It's more he always said, a jack of all trades and a master of none. And so basically you take all those things and then high intensity functional movements and we constantly vary it so you're ready for it.
Speaker 1: That's why it would be said that you were the fittest man in the world.
Speaker 3: By crossfits definition. And you know they I'm sure that they copy. I think them are rebought, cross copyrighted. That what's that the fittest on Earth really tagline? If the person that wins the CrossFit Games by their definition, you would be the fittest on Earth.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's true?
Speaker 2: I don't know, you know, it's probably somebody out in that wouldn't even right.
Speaker 3: We've never wrestled, you know, so like we've never both we've never been in a deadlist competition.
Speaker 1: If I were to like wrestle grapple and beat him, would that make me the fittest man? I think? So let's do it right here, I promise you in my family, Uh, I would be yeah.
Speaker 3: I you know, I liked the Hey, he won the CrossFit Games four times and he won it six times, like I don't know, you know, by the.
Speaker 1: And nobody's ever done anything like that.
Speaker 2: Uh not that done the individual end team.
Speaker 3: There's there's a woman right now that she's won seven times, really, and then a guy after me, Matt, that won five times, and so now it's kind of like ping pong and other than but.
Speaker 1: Rich you were the you were like the original og. Yes, So like when CrossFit like really came onto the scene and they had the CrossFit Games, you were the first guy to like, yeah, I mean a bunch.
Speaker 3: What I would say is when it's it kind of like started getting to that point, I was like holding on to like what the old guard was and bringing in the new and so I'm like this bridge kind of gap, uh, trying to hold hold the two together at times, you know, because it's it's turned into when I started, and even when I was doing it, you know, like I was working, most guys were guys and girls were working other jobs, and now it's like turned into a professional sporting Towards the end my last probably two or three two years as an individual, I still owned the gym and coached, but I wasn't working, you know, like I wasn't working at the fire department or working you know, for the intermural department at ten.
Speaker 1: So as it grew, it became.
Speaker 2: It's become more professionalized. People can make money.
Speaker 1: The people at the top are doing it like full time, correct and you knowing full time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, we've got a facility in Cookville.
Speaker 3: We have the actual normal CrossFit Mayhem for the average.
Speaker 2: You know, cook Billion.
Speaker 3: And then it's also you know people we do what's called drop in, So it's basically like Disneyland. People come and work out at CrossFit now and so you didn't actually get to see it when you were in and we actually just went to the house. And I've got that barn that I trained in a bunch too. But then we also have the athlete facility, and so we've got we've got a Brazilian, we've got a Russian, we've got Australians that visit regularly. We've got all kinds of So.
Speaker 1: Cookville, Tennessee, your gym, the Mayhem, what's Mayhem across Mayhem is like the mecca of the world for crossman, Is that right, Scott you you were telling.
Speaker 4: Me, Yeah, I would say so. I mean in terms of people that want to go, if you could anyone around the world could pick one gym they want to go visit.
Speaker 1: People move to Cookville, Tennessee people will move.
Speaker 4: Actually that pro and cular people. They're like, hey, I have a remote job and I really like I want I want to be a part of this community.
Speaker 2: The move to Cookville.
Speaker 3: We have incredible Stevie Stevie Goldie. They moved their entire business from California Grant it was peak COVID. They wanted to move somewhere Tennessee or Texas. Decided Cookville because of partly because of Mayhem. Moved the entire pizza business and they live in Cookville.
Speaker 1: Now, so what what's it like you walking in that rich?
Speaker 2: Nothing nobody cares. I mean, I'm just rich, you know.
Speaker 1: Is he telling the truth?
Speaker 3: Yeah, unless unless there's a drop in. If there's drop ins, then that's different. Like yeah, I'm gonna take a bunch of pictures. But if it's normal every day, so you know, well there's not many days where there's not drop ins. Like I might take a picture or two with the people that are traveling from out of town, but everybody else, I'm I'm I'm just Janis's son or richest son, honestly, Like that's just my mom worked in like in the restaurant kind of business for thirty years and of course you so you grew up and I grew up in Cook Cook Fill's home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thirty four years.
Speaker 1: Now you're like the hometown. You're the proud of.
Speaker 4: Their signing his home of Riches really.
Speaker 3: Oh that yeah, yeah, we got to emphasize that. Dad tries to take too much credit. He calls himself the original Rich fron So, your dad's name is Rich. Yeah, my dad's name is Rich. My son's name rich too. Oh yeah, Trice, Trice is what we call him.
Speaker 4: But yeah, the gym is on Rich Frowning Way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was not my so that must be named after.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 1: Just like they're actually in a meeting right now. They're probably turning it to Froningville.
Speaker 2: Where's the sculpture? There isn't one.
Speaker 6: It's like in the center of the town square rocky, like a rocky Most sculptures they would like be like really favorable to the guy, like if he had his like shirt off.
Speaker 1: Exactly, you'd be like, there's no way that guy looked like that. With Rich, if they made his statue, they'd be like, he pretty much looks.
Speaker 2: Like that's where it was. Yeah, no, man, ain't Cook Bill.
Speaker 1: Hey, let me tell you why this is relevant to all you out there, like, is that I met I met you like two or three months ago, And man, I hate it when people like say, man, I didn't even know who you were before I met you, Like people say, I mean, I've heard people say that to like Steve Ronell or something, and it's like what planet?
Speaker 2: Yeah, where are you from?
Speaker 1: But this is gonna actually be this is going to be endearing to our cause by me saying that, yeah, I wouldn't have known. I just not in the CrossFit world. I mean you might think I was, you know, but you are now and rich. I would have never even picked you out other than your buff right right. I wouldn't like your Your demeanor is just incredibly humble. I've got really you didn't care that I didn't really know anything about your story, and some people would have.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the deal is all I do is work out, you know, Like anybody that's like, oh you know he says stuff like that, I'm like, man, I just found something that people enjoyed watching and I got to make a living out of it, you know, Like it's it's I'm not any better. I've met people that are better than me and other things, and so I'm just like, hey, it's you know, and part of that probably goes back to the faith aspect. And and like I said, my parents, both of my parents are you know, that's just what you do, right, You just do what you're supposed to do. My whole family's like that. And you know, my wife does not think that I'm that cool. You know, well, you especially don't.
Speaker 1: Especially from the outside, not being in it like you would you would feel like, uh, well, the sports world. I mean, you don't have to be in the sports world to know that it's full of ego. Oh yeah, I mean anything's full of ego, honey, worlds can be full of ego. But I mean that's what it stood out to me. After I met you. I was like, man, this guy's not anything like what you would might think. If that wasn't a surprised to anybody that I talked to, they were like, oh, yeah, Riches incredible guy.
Speaker 2: Well I hope that.
Speaker 3: But one of the cool things about CrossFit is but I'm like, he's not as tough as they think he is.
Speaker 2: I wrestled him.
Speaker 3: One of the cool things about CrossFit and winning the games is you may win overall, but you lost a bunch of events in there, you know, like you know, there's.
Speaker 1: Could be somebody beat you and they're telling their grandkids about it.
Speaker 3: Hey, I beat him on one workout, right, And I get it all the time, like, oh, you know, first round, I beat you on that workout.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, the workout is five rounds, you know or whatever. Just local people even.
Speaker 1: But that would totally be me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, me too.
Speaker 3: And so you know, it's it's it's I just work out for a living and got to do something really cool, and you know, I get to provide for my family for doing something that I love.
Speaker 2: And I've met a lot of really cool people.
Speaker 3: You know, I've kind of had this epiphany the other day where you know, I've got a good friend.
Speaker 2: He's held George J.
Speaker 3: Webb like fifty or forty five, mid forties, mid forties, and he's like a school teacher and just started kind of showing up to my garage through a friend of a friend and now he's competing in the master's division and he's getting pretty good. And it's just cool to see those like friendships and you know, relationships you've made along the way, which I'm sure you've done the same with hunting, Like.
Speaker 2: There's just cool. I've been in the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: I've been able to be this part of this really cool CrossFit community, and you know, it gets a bad name at times because you have turds in every punch bowl. And then I've been a part of the mountain biking community because I've done the lead bill one hundred mountain Bike the last couple of years. And then now we're part of the hunting space and there's really positive and uplifting people in all of them.
Speaker 2: And then there's you know, there's some jerks in all of them. So it's just cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, that's that's really cool. To go back a little bit to the training stuff. Scott said this earlier to me. He said that you you said people were training like fifteen years ago, they were doing like one CrossFit workout a day, like I'll be at a really intense workout like training for games, and like these were the best guys in the world and they would do like one big training session a day to train and they were like hardcore. And then Rich came along and he started doing two sessions a day and It was almost like this exploration of like, wait a minute, can you can a human even do that?
Speaker 4: We well, so it started off Rich and Darren did two workouts and they didn't die from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you people really thought you might die.
Speaker 3: I specifically remember a CrossFit documentary I believe it was called Every Second Count, Every Second Count, and Tony Budding that got one of the guys that kind of kind of started the media side of the CrossFit games. Uh looks at the camera and was like, if you know, if people work out multiple times a day, they could die, And you're just like wow, you know, cause the the idea was that the intensity piece of CrossFit is the is what you know, draws people or what people I guess the suffering part of it right, which sounds weird and and and kind of crazy, but you know, so you hit this really hard workout and me and Darren, my cousin who I started CrossFit with, we both while while we were trying to run a gym, we also had a second job at another like kind of fitness, like a corporate fitness place, and so we're sitting there we did a work out that morning, and we're we're watching some CrossFit YouTube video and.
Speaker 2: We're like, oh, that's a cool workout. I want to go try it and see if we die, you know.
Speaker 3: Likes you know, we we knew we weren't weren't gonna die, but you're like, could we get rabdough from that?
Speaker 2: You know, like because that was the big thing is like, is that like a buzzword and that's gonna be uncle rap.
Speaker 3: There was a big like push back in you know, probably eight to ten years ago that like the anti CrossFit people were like, oh, you know, they're giving people rabdo and they're gonna die, you know, like you know, they're hurting people and and putting people in in the hospital.
Speaker 2: And I mean it happens, but it happens in a bunch of different areas.
Speaker 1: Rival other kind of worker the power yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: The powerlifters, the weightlifters, the bodybuilders, that type of stuff.
Speaker 2: But you got to watch, you know.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, we did two workouts and we were like, oh, okay, so we can why not you know, trying to walk up the next day and still I'm sure, but I'm all right, you know.
Speaker 4: And so but from there, the envelope was pushed to the point of what it is now where people have to work out five, six, seven hours a day. It's a full time yeah, to be across the games athlete, and.
Speaker 2: I ruined it for everybody.
Speaker 4: Well, I think like the most famous or the most famous phrase and like the way to sum it up what you did was Jason when he said what's Rich doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he wrote it on one of the guys that I competed with as a good friend of mine. He wrote on his wall in his garage, what's Rich doing? So he would do more.
Speaker 4: All the competitors knew, Like he'd go out and do rowing intervals at ten o'clock at night in the garage because he was sitting there stressed out that someone might beat him. So that was kind of how I think the sport evolved as quickly as it did, was him being like, actually, I can just keep doing more workouts all day long.
Speaker 2: So Rich, that's pretty what years were you? Did you win? So?
Speaker 3: I started in two thousand and nine, like July two thousand and nine, went to my first CrossFit competition in would have been February or March of twenty ten. I ended up getting second in twenty ten, one, twenty eleven, twelve, thirteen fourteen on a team, we won, fifteen sixteen, we got second again on seventeen.
Speaker 2: Don't talk about that.
Speaker 3: Then eighteen nineteen, COVID year, twenty one, twenty two all team.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that was on the team. You go.
Speaker 3: It's same time as the CrossFit games, as the individuals, and it started out as three men and three women on a team, and they would just and so the whole idea behind CrossFit is you don't know what you're showing up for.
Speaker 2: So you don't know what you're training for.
Speaker 3: You might find out a week before, you might find out as you walk on the floor.
Speaker 2: It was too late to do much by the time, and.
Speaker 3: So you know, they did the same thing with the teams where you know, and but they cut it back from three men and three women to two men and two women in twenty eighteen. I think, I think nineteen whatever it was eighteen, and so it's way better. I think that way. But you know it, are you still competing? No? Yes, I still work out way too much, just because I enjoy working out. I you know, I have this goal of I gotta let all the athletes know that.
Speaker 2: Hey, every once in a while, the old man still got it.
Speaker 6: I need to do get a bonus of old man strength once you started back in the year trying to find it, because it's actually regressed since I worked. I worked in the school where Clay's wife worked in all the teenage boys they want to arm wrestle, Oh yeah, and you just slam them down, and I just push them away and say, come back when you're a man.
Speaker 2: Come back when you're a man. You're you're the gatekeeper to man. That's right.
Speaker 3: And so you know, I want to be able to just be functional if I need to.
Speaker 2: I need as blame as it sounds.
Speaker 3: I got to look good with my shirt off, because program that's what sells programming.
Speaker 2: I want to be able to, like.
Speaker 1: That's not only been said on Bear Grease maybe handfull of the times.
Speaker 3: Right here, put it down, mark it down. I want to be able to do hard things and never question like can I do it right? And and you know, like we'll do a twenty four out. We did a twenty four hour row a couple of weeks ago. It's a charity. We do a twenty four hour mountain bike. I did Leadville the last two years, that one hundred mile mountain bike race that's in all above ten thousand feet, so I have to have something to train for, some type of target.
Speaker 6: Was it a was it a relief when you stop doing that high level competition?
Speaker 2: Or was it did you miss it? Uh?
Speaker 3: Parts of me misses it? Parts of me just I honestly I hated competing, the like dread of building up to it, just the like you know how bad it's gonna hurt. There's the expectation. But then as soon as three two one go happens, everything else like as weird as it sounds, as you know, as cliche as it like, everything else slows down, and you know, like there's loud music, there's all this kind of stuff going on. But I couldn't tell you. I can maybe tell you two songs that have ever been played at the CrossFit games.
Speaker 2: Songs about remember the name?
Speaker 1: And then can you can you sing it?
Speaker 2: No? You don't want to cross?
Speaker 3: And then there's what's uh is it Gangsters in Paris or something like that? Oh yeah, it's something else but the edited version, but it's definitely not edited acrossfit competition. But those two songs, for some reason, I can remember the exact event, the one with The second song I said was that it's called the Down in Back Chipper. We were in Carson, California. It's in the tennis stadium, it's at night. There's just like like a Friday night light football feel to it. And then the last one was my last year as an individual. Kind of the event that like kicked off kind of the comeback is called Midline March, and it was in the stadium that was remember the name. I don't know why those two memories with those songs are the only songs that I ever remember being played. You know, we probably probably heard hundreds of songs or thousands even, and so I missed pieces and parts of it, but I don't miss the stress of it, if that makes sense.
Speaker 4: I think the part that was tough for you at the end, from my perspective, is the expectation that you have to win. Yeah, it would be like coming out here and if if you didn't shoot one hundred eight inch deer, they're like, well why did you you know even.
Speaker 3: Come out here, we would win. It was relief. There was no like celebration, you know, it was just like you were because you were expected, because you're expected to win, and if you know, if something was tough, and so yeah, ten years or twelve years of that, you're just like, I'm good now. So you felt like Simon Biles, Yeah, basically, yeah, I mean it's now.
Speaker 1: How does Simone feel? Some of us don't know about Simone.
Speaker 6: She felt the pressure of having to be the best every time she stepped on the floor, even though she was gymnastics.
Speaker 1: Oh I'm not in the Olympics.
Speaker 2: World Olympic gymnastics. Yeah, she's like the goat. Yeah she's awesome, she's incredible. But yeah, I mean it would it would be like that. But I was also.
Speaker 3: Thirty six years old and my body was, you know, not that it was failing me, but trying to like push through stuff. You're like, I don't have to do that anymore, you know, like, and so I'll still do We do a local competition in Michigan in Muskegan, Michigan is called Fresh Coast, And I'll do some charity like partner competitions.
Speaker 2: I'm not individual.
Speaker 3: I'm like, no part of me ever wants to work out by myself in front of people like a dancing bear.
Speaker 2: Ever. Again, I'll partner somebody or do whatever.
Speaker 3: So you know, I still still work out, Like I'm, you know, getting ready for something even though I'm not. But who knows, one day I might do something, you know. It's just yeah, yeah, so interesting.
Speaker 6: I like maybe you could be like, I'm doing all this working out because I know Joe's moving next summer and I got to move this.
Speaker 2: You got to help him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to see. I want I want to rich to help me drag my buck out.
Speaker 2: Wanted to see what.
Speaker 1: It would feel like for the fittest man in the world. Have the other antler going is that one of the events that they do. I could drag a sled. We do that a lot to prep for whatever we're doing elk or. It's a it's a unique body movement and stressor to drag a buck it really it's a weird as you're you're you're like, you know, what's worse actually dragging a dough because there's nothing to hang on.
Speaker 2: To hold on to the you know, it's even worse dragging a bear. Dragging a bear.
Speaker 1: That's right, Well, that's why you don't drag bears.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: But if you if your knife skills aren't as good and you that's kind of the first time you've ever killed something like that by yourself without a friend that knows what they're doing, you drag the bear out, you know, or.
Speaker 1: If you're in Eastern Tennessee. Yeah, yeah, that was about I was about to say something like kind of like, yeah, you don't drag bears. But then in East Tennessee, the man that I know that I personally know that has killed more bears than any person I've ever known, they drag every bear out they killed. We were in there and river killed the bear that was like a three talking about Roy Clark in East Tennessee. Yeah, and it was like a rough hike down there, like steep, I mean like we were sliding all the way down and then it was like a half mile.
Speaker 5: In a creek bed to like a road. And they were like, we're dragging it.
Speaker 2: That sounds like Colorado?
Speaker 4: Does it sounds like exactly what we did in Colorado.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They have a big cultural thing there to get it out whole, Like they want to put it on their dog box and they want to be able to weigh it. Because I was with them the first time I was with them and we killed a bear way back, I was like, I mean it was like black, dark and raining, and there were just a few of us that made it back to this tree and shot this bear. Well, I mean, you know, we shot it in the daylight, but like by the time we were dragging it out messing around, its dark, and it wasn't that big of a bear. And I was like, boys, we'll quarter this thing up and each of this will carry a piece. This is no big deal.
Speaker 2: And they were like, say, what boy, where are you from. Put your knife down.
Speaker 1: Young boy. We're gonna drag this thing out.
Speaker 4: We'll just pretend that's why we did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's why we did it.
Speaker 3: Was like you were from eas Tennessee, well, eastern middle Tennessee. We're right at the edge, you know, Cumberland Plateau.
Speaker 1: I I've got a I got a serious question for you. That's uh that I think it's really relevant. So if somebody were to use the phrase idea, that would mean a lot of different things to different people. So I'll just like categorize identity as humans on planet Earth are constantly trying to kind of figure out who they are based upon their context. And we typically in some ways, like humans are complex things because we do have this like physical life, but we also have this like inner spiritual life that's very real and all humans regardless of like what you think about religion or anything. I mean, like we're quite different than than animals.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And so my question is going to be, so you can be preparing for it, is how do you excel? But I'm gonna give I'm gonna qualify it a little bit more, but I'm gonna ask you the questions to be ready rich. This is like a CrossFit game where you get the workout like right when it starts it is now, but you've been training for this one. The question is how do you not take on the external identity of the things that you do? And how do you have a more healthy real identity in in like a spiritual sense and more of a and more of a who am I as a man? Who am I called to be? Who am as like inside my inside my family? Because people typically equate themselves and inside a hunting it's like that, like like people take a lot of identity inside of hunting. And the reason that's a problem, Like you might be like, well what's the problem with that? And people would look at me and be like, well, pay you identify as a hunter, I absolutely do. But I but I would say that my the core of my identity really who I am when I close my eyes. If it's based around this external thing that I do, it ultimately is going to fail because there's gonna come a day when I can't hunt do it. There's gonna come a day when I'm not good at hunting and I don't kill it. Like what happens when like this thing like kind of lets me down, And that's when you got to have like this real identity of who you are. So with you as accomplished as you are externally, I hear you talk a lot about how that did not become your identity, right, how do you do that?
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna weave back and tell you kind of where this all started. So twenty ten, I, you know, had just finished being a firefighter, ex college baseball player, one of thirty two first cousins on my mom's side, twenty five or boys. Everything's a competition, everything's a thump your chest, you know, like, you know, be a man, you know, be you know, show what you can do, right, go to the cross of the games, and really with no expectation of even qualifying I win when one of the qualifiers, go to the next stage, thinking all right, if I can at least, you know, do a good job here and set myself up for maybe next year making the CASS Games. End up actually winning that regionals what they called it, went sectionals in regionals. Then I went to the CrossFit Games and I'm in first place going into the final three events. They pull eighteen of us six men, six women or sorry three or eighteen men, eighteen women, three heats of six and six and pull us out, put us in a room, take your cell phones away, take everything away, no communication. They pull you out six people at a time, alternating six men, six women, And I think, I don't even remember if it was that. I've tried to block this whole thing out of my head, but I don't even know what how many points I'm in the lead at this point. It's not many. It's pretty close, but I'm like, all right, my whole goal here was not to get last, and maybe I'll win. This thing is twenty five thousand dollars, I'll be able to me and my wife are getting married.
Speaker 2: I'm getting At that point, I was engaged.
Speaker 3: It was gonna get married next year, and I'm like all right, you know, like, hey, it's a good start, right, And so we're in this room and don't really know anybody I'm new to kind of the whole deal, and people just keep disappearing. You're hearing crowd noise because we're in the the stadium base. It really feels like what I feel like the Gladiators felt like without the Lions and tigers. But at this point you don't know if there are lions and tigers out there and exactly. So you walk out on the floor. The traditional thing with CrossFit. I here's the deal is I sweat a lot, so I take my shirt off so I don't waist his shirt.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm taking my shirt off. Everybody's doing it.
Speaker 3: As we're walking on the floor, the guy who started the cross of a games, Dave castro X, Navy seal not known for his bedside manner, looks at us and says, put your effort shirt back on. It's pretty hot out there. Okay, what are we doing? You know, like, what are the some something on fire?
Speaker 2: You know? So we walk out on the floor.
Speaker 3: They lead us six out and he goes, all right, workout is I think it was thirty push ups, climb this twelve foot wall with you know's a rope open over twenty one overhead squats, three rounds, three to one go. Everybody's like what. Somebody drops down, starts doing push up. So that's the first workout. He had seven minutes to finish, and like a lamb led to slaughter, I go as hard as I can. Only person that finished that first workout didn't. On the other side of that wall. There's another workout, and then after that workout there's another workout, and so there's three workouts and three separate scores, and so I win that first one. I'm basically drunk at this point. I'm like, what's going on. They're like, oh, the next workouts here, and so you go to do that one. No idea what even that workout still is to this day. It was with toes de bar and ground overhead. The next workout you do burpies where you got on touch your chest, go up over the wall, and then you climb a rope, growing up, climb a rope a thousand times, but always no hands right or no feet sorry, no feet, no legs because my dad says that was for sissies. And so you'd done all these workouts and then I'm watching these guys go up and down these ropes and the ropes and they're using their feet and I'm so just messed up. It's I think they did tested the floors, like one hundred and twenty one hundred and thirty degrees or something like that on the floor. You know, it's probably ambient one hundred and so you're just like, what's going on.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to climb this rope. Can't get up, it, can't get up it.
Speaker 3: There's people taking their shoelaces off of their shoes trying to show me how to wrap my feet from the crowd, you know, because it's pretty like, uh, grassroots is yeah, grass grass roots ish at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And so I'm just like whatever.
Speaker 3: And so I get enough muster, enough courage, get up without my feet, touch the cross beam at twenty feet and then woom straight down fall and so I end up getting up two more times. Finish, they pull us off the floor. We know nothing, pull us off the floor. We have to go drug test for an hour. You don't have to peek because after you as soon as you finish, they'll they'll at this point, they only did it after Now they do it intermittent. I've been blood tested, I've been blood tested, I've been he tested.
Speaker 1: Slip into the bathroom.
Speaker 3: Like yeah something, who knows, and so we go into drug tests and probably forty five minutes later they do the awards ceremony. Still told nothing, like, I don't know what's happened, right, So we come out and I see on the big check. My name's not on the big check. So that's how I find out that I'd gotten second place. Tell you all that. You know, everybody's like, oh, that's awesome. You got second place the first time I was supposed to win.
Speaker 2: For me, it was like.
Speaker 3: The drug pulled out right because I'd built up, you know, and I'd failed, and so, you know, not in any way was it Like. I wasn't like super depressed, but I was like, man, what am I doing my life? Like, you know, we kind of owned this gym, but you know, what what am I trying to do? And so I, the head strength and conditioning coach at Tennessee Tech, offered me a graduate assistant spot and I was like sure, yeah, I mean maybe that's what I want to do, right, you know, like I just finished the fire department. Plan was to get a master's and then come back to the fire department and do that. But I'm like what there was just there was a hole, right, And so my whole life, my I always joked that my Grandma Violet has a direct line to God, like she the woman is incredible. Both my grandma's, my grandpa's. My whole family is just faith driven. But it was more.
Speaker 2: For me.
Speaker 3: It was like something I had to do and out of like necessity of like hey, God, how can you help me? You know, like never like what can I do for you? And so I had a really cool chip who was the head strength and conditioning coach, invited me to a Bible study and so we started reading Romans. And then I had another buddy that he asked me a question. He's like, if you you were to die today, would you go to Heaven? And I was like, yeah, absolutely, I believe in God, you know, and I believe Jesus died for it. But I was just not living that life and went back started reading Matthew in the Gospels and went Matthew Mark Luke, you know, kept reading Romans, and I'm like, man, you know, Jesus got baptized.
Speaker 2: When he was thirty. I'm twenty four.
Speaker 3: I think at the time, I was baptized in the Catholic Church, but we kind of like when we moved to Tennessee, Catholic Church isn't big in the South, and so we Baptist Presbyterian. But it was never never an identity for me, right, it was like if I went to my Bible, it was like, all right, what can you give me God that I need today? Or you know, like you know there's something there, But it was never that relationship and I'm like, oh man, there's like there's so much more to this. And I say all that to like, you know, my whole life was whatever I was doing. I was trying to succeed in that because I thought, you know, like I could make people proud of me, and that was my identity.
Speaker 2: And that's who Rich was. Like he's a competitor, he's all these things. But like.
Speaker 3: What I've found was that my life, you know, in Christ, and so my identity is in Christ. So whatever He's done, like my all the gifts that I've been given, I feel like my way to give back is to glorify God, and so I got the tattoo Galatians six fourteen, and that's may. I never boast in anything except for the Cross of the Lord Jesus Christ, which has been crucified to me and out of the world. And so for me, it's I could compete from there, you know. So I always joke that, like I'm you know, the next year at the Cross of the Games, you know, i'd won. I think I got second in the open, which is this big, you know, like they switched the whole season.
Speaker 2: But then he went to regionals, won my regional.
Speaker 3: I was good to go go to the Cross at Games, and I'm going to the bus to the first event and it was like a swim, a run in the sand, and something else. And I'm like, read Jeremiah twenty nine to eleven, you know, for I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord plans to prospery and keep you and give you hope in the future. And I'm like, all right, we're good, right, And then I get twenty seventh on that event and I'm like, all right.
Speaker 2: God, maybe you're trying to show me I'm a humble loser.
Speaker 3: But it was like it was a cool that I could actually disconnect from it and I was okay, right, and I knew that my whoever I was in CrossFit or whoever I was.
Speaker 2: In life, it it.
Speaker 3: Means something, but it doesn't mean as much as what Christ did and what He's done. And I could compete from this place that hey, I'm gonna be okay, Like I'm still a competitor and I hate losing, Like talk to anybody, like, I'm not a pleasant person to be around when I lose. But I could still in that moment compete from a good spot. And then when it was all over a couple of weeks later, and where's off, I'm okay, right, you know, I don't think I hate the whole like, well, Christians are soft, you know, they're not competitors or you know, like the Bible tells you to you know, like love your neighbor. I still love my neighbor, but I want to beat you, you know, like and so you know, and.
Speaker 1: Then there you I love my neighborhood.
Speaker 2: I still want to beat you.
Speaker 1: I'll beat you in a push up contest any day.
Speaker 2: Whatever you want to do.
Speaker 3: And uh so, yeah, so that long, long winded answer to say, my identity is in Christ. And then now it's like with my kids, that's what I want them to know that, you know, what you're gonna do is cool, But those things in the world are going to fail you, right, Like those things can be taken away in an instant, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think I think that's the that's the beauty of of I mean, really the crux of the of the Christian faith is belief in Christ. But it's it's it's belief in something something bigger, greater than us, Like we're part of something so much bigger, and that decentralizes it's designed to decentralize us, right, you know where where the world, in everything even biologically on this planet in a way kind of tries to to me, to isolate you. Yeah, me, me, me, you know, and so and.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying I don't fight that, oh You're still like it's a daily battle, you know, like it's it's you know, we have faith, family, fitness, service, that mayhem and so for me, that's like our core values. And so for me, faith, family fitness are the main like every day you know, like service is a huge part of who we are. But every day it's faith, family, fitness, and like I try to have a short memory when I do good, and I try to have a short memory when I do bad. But I try to be as objective as possible every day and kind of like how did you do right? And just try to piece those two together right consistently.
Speaker 1: That's that's powerful, man, That's great.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: There's when it comes to I mean is when it comes to faith, it's as real as you as a person makes it, you know, I mean like in terms of and I know for me, man, I mean, my my biblically based faith is like it's like powerful stuff to me, like absolutely the pinnacle of everything that I do, not not some like religious external And if you're if you're not, like if you've never I don't know if that doesn't vibe with you, it can when you hear people talk about religion that it can be like a you know, it's just not for me, it's not, man, No, I mean, it's it's it very very real. And that's what I sense inside of you is that this is like a real thing, Like this is not just like an external check box of like I wanna.
Speaker 3: It's like any other relationship right. So you know, you get more into a relationship the more you put into it. And it's the same thing with that relationship with Christ, I think, you know, like if I'm in the word every day, you try to be in every day, you know, Like there's days where it you know, I get busy, right having three kids, young kids, but I try to or listen to worship music or whatever. There's something that's usually being told somehow right to you, and so I just there's day those days, I know are noticeably better than days where I'm not doing what I should be doing.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and you know, people, it does you get people turned off, you know, like I you know, you'll see comments like, oh, there you go talking about the Bible again. I'm like, man, I've just seen what it's done for me, and I've seen what's done for a lot of other people. And you know, religion and faith technically aren't the same different things, but they are to me, you know, like religion is laws and rules and what we've kind of like what people have attached to the Bible, right, you know, And so man, it's just it's it's done amazing things for me and my family and my life. And so I just tried to tell as many people as I can about how awesome it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good Bear, I told you, I asked you earlier if you had any questions for rich anything. Hm hmm. Well I'll swing back around to the first question I asked, is what did you get your degree? All the way back swept this all time.
Speaker 2: It's like, thanks, damn.
Speaker 1: This is this. This is what it's like having a podcaster for a dad. When you ask a question, I got this.
Speaker 2: We'll come back Bear. Exercise siense, Yeah my degree was an exercise sise.
Speaker 1: Imagine that.
Speaker 2: Imagine that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm actually like I think I'm six or.
Speaker 1: No wonder in the world science degree.
Speaker 2: Learned it from a book.
Speaker 5: My second question, and probably most important question push ups real push ups or push up and see on the on the internet.
Speaker 2: I'm saying, tell you.
Speaker 1: What would be would be?
Speaker 3: You know, you see guys in the NFL or whatever when they're like, get down and do push ups when they miss a tackle or something. But they're just like, you know, just bending your arms with us it's chest touches the ground and then full the top. But you also, push up is a hard movement to judge I don't think it's a good judgment movement because you know what you've seen all seen the people where like a push up to me is like straight line from your heels to the back of your head.
Speaker 2: But everybody's seen people that like their.
Speaker 3: Butt kind of stays and the same, and so it's just like that it's such a weird I like personally, and and I'll probably get a ton of like hate from the crossfitters. I think a strict pull up competition is actually better better test strength, better test because grip strength is actually the one thing that they say is a direct strength, a direct col I don't know, is a direct cool core to longevity in life.
Speaker 5: I don't know really, Yeah, so what do you think about the like I always see people making, yeah, kipping pullups, man, I think there's a place for it, because that's you're gonna see the note you don't you don't get on the CrossFit interwebs, but one of the main knocks about CrossFit is kipping pull ups.
Speaker 2: Everybody, they tear me up. I meant.
Speaker 3: You. So basically, the idea is you're supposed to increase your work capacity across time, so like be able to do more wraps faster. So if we are to just say a pull up is arms locked out at the bottom and your chin over the bar. As long as you do that, the movement standard has met. People have figured out how to initiate some hip from gymnasts from you know, uh like, so you you initiate some hip drive into.
Speaker 1: It, like you would, but as long as you're doing the so I there's a place for it.
Speaker 2: Kipping.
Speaker 3: There's a place for kipping in competition, I think for everyday people, for people in the gym, even for myself, I don't kip a ton, and if I'm doing a competition event, I'll throw in some kipping or if I'm getting ready for a competition, I'll throw in some kipping pull ups only to prepare for that competition, because it is and that's where you see a lot of injuries.
Speaker 2: It looks violent, it is.
Speaker 3: And it isn't like it looks like depending on if you do it the correct way, like there is a lot of like fall off at the bottom. But I mean you look at Olympic lifting, so what some people would say like a shoulder press, so you got a bar on your shoulder and you just press it up right, So why is it okay for them, like in a jerk to dip and press that's allowed?
Speaker 2: Why is that not allowed in the pull up?
Speaker 3: I see the like general population should not be doing that, but in a competition yea.
Speaker 2: So how many pull up?
Speaker 3: The most kipping pull ups I've ever done? I think was eighty four in a row. But that's it's about straight just straight up kip it or straight strict pull ups. Thirty two or thirty one I think is the most I've ever done.
Speaker 1: Break Are you familiar with Truet Haynes cam?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: What's what's the deal?
Speaker 2: He can do a lot of pull ups? Man?
Speaker 1: I mean he's like he did I think, like, uh at least eight thousand pull ups in a in a.
Speaker 2: Like Yeah he was.
Speaker 3: He was like the Guinness Book of World Records for him and Goggins went back and forth.
Speaker 4: Well then I think he got it true true.
Speaker 1: It was as I understood that he was like the world he held the record world pay. Yeah, and somebody heard about it and they were like, oh, shoot, I can take eight thousand.
Speaker 2: What's that? That's crazy. That's a lot. But that's something you got to train for you know, like your body.
Speaker 6: If you just want many would it take me to get up to eight thousand pull ups on?
Speaker 1: Probably a couple you may have missed your time, Josh, I passed. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: So well the answer is, I don't know on push ups ballpark it fifty ish, Maybe I don't know real push ups. Yeah, I've got a.
Speaker 3: Competition, yes, but but then we're going to judge them to the standard, you know, like to the frownings and so I man, I've got all kind of you know. That's and that's one of the knocks on CrossFit is it's dangerous, you know, like getting off the couch is dangerous, right, So if you're doing it in a a local affiliate or a gym where you know good coaching, it's it's pretty safe, you know, like if you've got somebody watching, you can drop your ego at the door. What's so good about it is the movement's changed so much that you're doing different things versus just running. You know, like running has one of the highest injury rates because it's so repetitive and it's the same thing over and over. But what I did for years was I put my body through the ringer right. So anything you do in excess, anything you do at a high level, takes a toll. So like my rotator cuf, I shoot left handed, but I'm not left handed because my rotator cuff is trash on my left side. So it's you know, push ups right, you know, like I can still for the most part. I just got to warm them up good and make sure that i'm you know, doing some stuff. But you know what I did for years, and I wouldn't change a thing, you know, like I did all that knowing and expecting that down the road, you know, we'll see what happens. So I'm just hoping that knee replacements get better in the next you know, ten or fifteen years or lasts longer, you know, because uh really, honestly, yeah, honestly, the only major thing that I have is is this left knee. Just some days it's really good and other days it's not, just because it's basically just there's no cartilage left, you know, like, and there's no rhyme or reason why. One day it'll feel or look you know, normal, and then the next day it's swallowed up like a you know.
Speaker 2: So what will the life of seventy year old Rich frunning look like hopefully by then there's you know, titanium is good.
Speaker 3: I honestly, I think I think I'll still be all right because as long as I keep moving every day, I feel good. It's the days when I'm like, I'm not you know, honestly, there's not a day where I'm like I'm not going to do anything. But you know, the less that I do and less that I put my body, you know, me and Clay were talking about this yesterday, like one of the things that I hate, not hate, but like when people are like, ah, I'd have to get in shape before I did CrossFit, I'm like, no, that's not the point. The point is CrossFit is what should get you in shape. If you wanted to do the CrossFit games, yeah, you'd have to get in shape to do that. But like me and Clay were talking, like I hate the whole Like, oh, I you know, I bodybuilders are stupid, weightlifters are stupid.
Speaker 2: Powerlift.
Speaker 3: It's like, do what you want to do as long as you're moving through some I said, be able to move your body weight through space, get your heart rate up a little bit every day, carry things, pick things up, like whatever's going to enhance your life and make your life better, and you enjoy that's physical activity.
Speaker 2: Do it. That's all I care about.
Speaker 1: I also asked Rich, I said, uh, is there any Well, let's not have a huge conversation about supplements. But uh, but I said, I said to him, what supplement would you take if you could just take one magic supplement?
Speaker 3: There's nutrition, Man, you got to you gotta take nutritions.
Speaker 2: I mean, I like caffeine, like nutrition. Nutrition.
Speaker 1: I mean, he basically said nutrition.
Speaker 2: Act.
Speaker 1: I thought he might be like, Man, I'm doing this and doing this and doing this and doing this and this, and I mean.
Speaker 3: I mean I've gone through times where you know, I took creatine and I've noticed some positives. You know, we work with mountain ups. I like caffeine. I like the beta kind of itch makes me feel like, you know, pre work out just because and there's it's scientifically proven that it does help buffer lactic acid. And you can get into those things. But man, you know, sustitutes good nutrition and nutrition after and doing something being outside. You know, like what about testosterone? I will take it when I get to that point. I mean, when my numbers are good. They've I've you know they've ebbed and flowed over the years, and you know that's testosterone is one of the things it's hard to like, so many things mess with it, you know, environmental factors, sleep, stress, those types of things. So you almost need like a couple of weeks between taking things or taking blood tests, uh to do it. But yeah, when mine gets to the point where it's you know, three four hundred on a regular basis, then you better believe.
Speaker 4: It's never getting there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dad, well dad takes it now, So I don't know if I'm supposed to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, I mean I am everything, you know, like if if a doctor's I guess you can't really use doctors because they're not always accurate. But I mean, you know, like I I think, I think it's an individual. You know what you've got to figure out. As an I we talked to you.
Speaker 1: I've heard some people be like every man over thirty five, I would be on testosterone. I mean, you know that's an exact exaggeration.
Speaker 2: But I was on it for a while and then I got off.
Speaker 6: Actually did you started making my cholesterol go out pretty bad, and you know, I need to have some better nutrition.
Speaker 2: But but is.
Speaker 1: This the time on the podcast and we're going to tell the world.
Speaker 2: Why you run testicular cancer.
Speaker 6: Oh and uh so one of our buddies, part of my testosterone making production system is gone gone, and that, uh that's affected my testosterone. And I can I can tell when it ebbs and flas you know what I mean, It does ebb and flow.
Speaker 2: But yeah, man, I've done it.
Speaker 3: You like, I did intermittent fasting for a while because mine was kind of tanking a little bit. And I did it for three or four years, intermittent fasting, and my testosterone jumped.
Speaker 2: It went up, it went up.
Speaker 1: So I was told that that makes it go down. See mine went up. It was like, is it's supposed to make it go down?
Speaker 3: So I'd heard that it was the opposite, that it would go up because your body has more, you know, like in that window. The idea is that, you know, your digestion takes so much energy from the rest of your body, from your endocrine system, all that stuff, that if you isolate the time when your digestive system is working, that body, our body functions. So I don't know, you know, I guess the that was kind of a big thing. A couple of years ago, and I loved it. But then I got to the point where when I was when I was working out and training a bunch that like, I couldn't take in enough calories in that eight hour window, and I was like, I went from walking around at one ninety five, which I have for fifteen years probably down to one eighty four or something like that.
Speaker 2: So I quit doing intermittent fasting.
Speaker 1: And now you know what they called him back then, rich scrunt.
Speaker 4: He did it when we all hunted. When he was intermittent fasting. It was at the first two years. Yeah, and then so he wouldn't eat until now.
Speaker 3: I mean, we're intermittent fasting out here right now, you know, yeah, but he wouldn't.
Speaker 4: We'd be hiking around the mountains and I'm, you know, taking snacks in as we get up these hills and mountains, and he wouldn't eat until noon or whatever. But then the second time we're flying back the second year, you ate breakfast. And it was the first time I'd ever seen me at the breakfast because when I moved down to Tennessee, he had been he's kind of in the middle of dinner mint fasting. So it was the first time I ever saw me at breakfast, and he never looked back, never looked back.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I don't know, I don't know the answer to either of the you know.
Speaker 1: Like, but I I hardcore and barking attest Josh can too. For three years. I was very diligent to six days a week. It's very stringent inter minute fasting, like not eating until like four o'clock in the afternoon four and uh and and it it uh the web one of the one of the big influencers on Instagram. You'd know his name. He was on the Meteor podcast. He's the he's the guy that big into meat. He's a medical doctor. Anyway, I'm embarrassed I can't remember his name. But I'd been intermittent fasting hardcore for three years and it helped keep me trim.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but man, I just I just noticed, like I just I don't know. I just felt like I was like, how.
Speaker 2: Long were you was your window? Were you doing like a four hour window?
Speaker 1: Like see, I would eat till like ten or something, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would do an eight, I'd do sixteen eight, so I'd start at noon, Yeah, eat till eight.
Speaker 1: Well, this guy told me I forgot his name, sorry brouh that he's like, hey, inter minute fasting, extreme inter minute fasting can mess with your testosterone, and I think it did.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I actually didn't get unfortunately, I wasn't able to get test tested, but uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mine went from like four or five ish to like seven eight.
Speaker 1: Wow, So it went up.
Speaker 2: It went up. Wow, that's a pretty good jump.
Speaker 3: Could have been I had a good sleep off season, could have been you know, number of things, you know. And honestly, when probably the one time when I got it early on had the blood panel, I think both of my kids, like I have three kids, ten, seven and six, and those the seven and six year old were probably.
Speaker 2: Like three and four, so they were not sleeping, you know.
Speaker 3: So it's like sleep has such a huge That's what I tell people when people are always like, what's the number one recovery thing, I'm like, sleep. If you can sleep seven eight hours a night, you'll see, like you will recover way better. I notice when I, you know, multiple days of sub seven hours starts to wear on me quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah. If I'm training and working out a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, par any more questions finale question you don't have to have one. Josh Scott, how many pounds.
Speaker 2: Is your bow? How many pounds? Eighty two?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, you are pulling the heavy bow. Yeah okay, yeah cool. Yeah, it's smoking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's fast, it's a elite ethos and it shoots pretty good. I'd really like I have a I have three pin the slider, but my pins are twenty or yeah, twenty five, forty and fifty, but that twenty five I can shoot at twenty and thirty within pretty I mean, it's it's shooting quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, yep.
Speaker 3: So I think it was like stock was like seventy five and I was shooting a white before that, and it was like an eighty two.
Speaker 2: And so I'm like, hey, guys, I need like I just need to feel that so good comes with the territory, you know, like expectations fit earth.
Speaker 1: You have to you know, like, yeah, I figured you're gonna be like I'm pulling fifty, come on, come on, man, I even with a bum rotator cut.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah. Honestly, it's the the draw is fine on this left shoulder. It's the the pushing out that was bugging my should every every fall. When I would start shooting a bunch, this left shoulder would start to kill me. And then when I got done, I never got an MRI while I was competing because I didn't want to know, like you don't want to know. And so I went in and two of the four they call that out of sight, out of my great probably.
Speaker 2: Really it really is.
Speaker 3: And so after I competed, I was like, let me just see if I need to do something like and you know, the two of the four rotator cup muscles were torn or I had near full thickness tears, and one was like extreme tendinosis. And so you talk to a doctor and they're like, yeah, yeah, yeah, we got to cut on that. And then you talk to a PT and they're like, oh, we can pete that. So I went the PT route and it's i'd say ninety five percent better. But I just switched to left handed. I'm left eye dominant. I had a buddy his dad, when we were shooting rifles as a kid. I would shoulder it to my right shoulder and I'd try to look down with my left eye and he's like no, no, just slapped tape over my eye and made me walk around like that for the rest of the day, and so I can. I can close this right eye, but I'm way more comfor I can look with that right eye, but I'm way more comfortable with this left eye.
Speaker 2: So I feel way better and the same.
Speaker 3: I really wish I need to start practicing rifle left eye, because I think i'd be better too. I shoot a rifle left hand, I should right. I shoot a rifle right handed and a bow left handed.
Speaker 4: To you shot bow left handed when you killed the first ball?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, Well, guys, really appreciate it. Appreciate it fun. We've got another basically day of hunting.
Speaker 2: We're gonna it's gonna happen, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, keep the wild place as wild because that's where the bears live.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you having us