Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Check Divine with thirty two years with a central intelligence agency. He's written about it more on an international perspective and joins us this morning, Jack Connor, that you're with us. You have a global CIA perspective. Does the FBI have the same acuity looking for the bad guys of terror in America that you had abroad?
Speaker 1: I think that's a great question. I don't know if anyone knows the answer. But the FBI is really very strong at home. I mean their ability to penetrate groups and collect information, use their powers and authority. When they leave the United States, then they're just like anyone else. It's very hard to do things in an over way. So I think we're much stronger, and I think our ability to have sources everywhere, and I think things that very much between the FBI and the CI, So it's not as if it's all compartment.
Speaker 2: In my book of the year, at least a decade ago, Garrett Graf, we're efforting mister graph for this conversation and the FBI, Jeck Divine, Does the CIA and the FBA do they coalesce information daily to try to find bad guys like the guy in New Orleans.
Speaker 3: I think it goes twenty four to seven.
Speaker 1: All right, Now, the problem in this case is they didn't even have criminal records, right, so you don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's a big, big it's ocean full of fish, if you will. So, but their abilities and the speed with which we.
Speaker 1: Cover information and you know, AI in general is mind blowing when you start to look at it. So the capabilities are rich, but it's the verbial needle in the haystack, right. So all those that are sort of institutionalized, really organized by isis, they probably.
Speaker 3: Have a really good fix on that.
Speaker 1: But when you get to those that are inspired, how it could be anybody on a mountaintop, it gets inspired and it's really hard. But I think we're really in a much stronger position than we are to say at the time of nine to eleven, no comparison.
Speaker 4: Hey, Jack, President elect Trump will be sworn in January twentieth, presumably shortly there after he'll receive his first CIA briefing. What do you think the CIA is going to present him in terms of priorities.
Speaker 1: Well, he's been in the office before, right, so he knows the drill. He knows the capabilities. You don't have to sit down and say, let me explain that this is the presidential's daily brief. This is hell's collected. So I think first day of a walk in the room. Actually the president will be brief substantially before he's sworn in, and it'll be closing gaps and filling in the new information.
Speaker 3: But you know it's not only being present.
Speaker 1: Next thing, you know, he can turn around, you have a terrists and incident, and they almost are always required instantaneous information, new information. So my guess is they'll be bringing him the latest news that was on the major issues around the world that happened the night before. So you're right up the speed to the moment. Probably a long session and probably more than one briefer.
Speaker 2: Jack Divine, three days of a condor is what we were weaned on. Sydney Pollock, the giant, what an honor to make his acquaintance. Three days of a condor was what we were weaned on. And there's all the modern CIA movies starting with a lot of techno whiz bang. What do you think when you watch the modern CIA movies? What does Jack Divine think of those movies?
Speaker 1: Well, I once had a conversation with Sean Connery about it. Right, I made a mistake though, I mentioned the queen and he told me immediately why I'm a monarchist. But besides that, we talked about and I said, you know, for years I diminished the importance of the movies, and then I realized everybody's thought the CIA people were nippoted, were dashing in handsome, and you know that's not the case. But my point is one of the things that I think that are really interesting is many of the movies are a few years ahead, like the one Jason.
Speaker 3: Jason Bourne Man, Yeah and Burn.
Speaker 1: The technology was there, but it wasn't integrated right, But when it was revisited Jason Bourne, the material would be integrated.
Speaker 3: So there's a lot to learn from the technology. They bring in a lot of advisors.
Speaker 1: So television, it depends on the type and the quality of the program. The good ones, really, particularly on technology, are good. It's the romantic part, and it's the CIA is bumping off people without all that jump Hollywood jump. But if you look at it just core pieces of how things are done, it's pretty close.
Speaker 2: Jeck Divine, don't be a stranger, Thank you so much, thank you for your public service to the nation. To the nation, mister Divine out with a number of books,