Speaker 1: I think the Rangers feel pretty positive about where their young pictures are going. There are some things that still need to be addressed, but they've contributed to the Rangers. Fourteen eleven starts.
Speaker 2: We are back with our friend Evan Grant, who does a tremendous job covering the Texas Rangers for the Dallas Morning News. Evan is there all of the time, knows everything about this club. Great to be with you, my friend. Thank you for joining us on foul Territory. First of all, before we get into it, you are a barbecue officionado. This is what I've learned about you. Is there a spot that it is like an.
Speaker 3: Absolute must go?
Speaker 4: To?
Speaker 2: Tell me all the things?
Speaker 1: Evan, Well, in Look, it's Texas. You kind of have to eat barbecue where they kick you out of the state. So I've learned to love it. I don't know that I'm an aficionado. I just like food because you don't get this body without liking food. So in Dallas, Look, we've got a pretty good bubbling barbecue spot scene. I can't say enough about Tory Hunter's place Tender. He's got several locations. We saw Tory just last week when the Angels were in town and I was raving to him about the stuff there. It's it's really really good. But there is a place in Arlington that's the official barbecue spot of the Rangers for Title Barbecue. They're actually in Globe Life Field. I think even persnicketty aj Perzinski enjoyed their food this year at the ballpark. They're doing wings, they're doing they're Berea tacos and Casadilla's and they are doing a giant stuff baked potatoes. So if you hit those two, you're going too for the one other I'll mention is Tim Barbecue in Dallas and in Fort Worth. They've got this bacon burn in thing that is just it's insane.
Speaker 4: There's there's no like AJ's not on here, So nobody's gonna be asking you for free food every time you come on. Ajay's like, Evan, why are you gonna get me this? When are you gonna buy me that? So nobody's asking for anything today.
Speaker 1: Does that make me special?
Speaker 4: Though? Eric?
Speaker 1: I mean, because he asks everybody for free food and free stuff.
Speaker 4: Right everybody. He's always asking. Susan Sluster was just on the other day, when are you gonna get me the garlic, nacho, truffle fries, whatever, like he's always he's always looking for a handout. So he's not that boogie. He's just looking for free. Free ninety nine is his price.
Speaker 1: That makes me special?
Speaker 4: Okay, but you are special. Tell me what's special about the Rangers. They're fourteen and eleven right now, but they're tied for first place. Did they feel like or does it does it look like they're playing good enough baseball right now to be ahead of everybody else in this division? And do they look up and say, whoa, the Mariners and that pitching staff and their brutal lineup are keeping up with us. We need to change something, or does it feel like, okay, oh, team for playing well?
Speaker 1: Well. I think you saw in this past week some of the Rangers perspective in that their lineup hasn't been hitting on all cylinders and they think this lineup is going to slug and is going to score a lot of runs. But for the first month a lot of the same problems that existed last year have have existed. So Bruce Bochi shook things up when they went to Sacramento, took Marcus Simeon out of the leadoff spot and put him in more of a run producing spot, put Josh Smith in the leadoff spot, and moved Wyatt Langford up to the number two spot. And what the Rangers tried to do and it lasted all of about seven innings before Corey Seeger pulled up with a bad hamstring was get their their their top on base guys into the top spots in the order so that the guys who were sluggers and maybe not as maybe not indiscriminate swingers could get more pitches to hit. And it did pay off against Sacramento. Whether or not that had anything to do with the ballpark and how the carries there, I don't know, but they scored a season high eight runs the first night Corey pulled up with a hamstring injury, and so now they're back to kind of scrambling for runs again.
Speaker 4: Hey, I want to stay there.
Speaker 5: We talk about scrambling for runs in the midst of that. I think they're still in a good place right struggling for runs, but you're still at the top of your division. Have we talked about how good White Langford has been going back to the end of last year in company right like this has been one of my guys going back to last year. I thought it'd be the Rookie of the Year, and he went through his early season woes but started towards and he started to figure out right the wood the whole big league adjustment. Are we talking about how good this guy has been and how good he possibly could be?
Speaker 1: Well, two things, Cam, I think to your point, I think from the Rangers' perspective, what's very encouraging is that they are fourteen to eleven and they haven't hit right, they haven't scored a ton of runs, and they've still found ways to win. And that, enlarge part is testament to the starting pitching they've gotten, which has been better than exp and the restructured bullpen that Chris Young made over the offseason. It's been pretty much airtight. As far as Wyatt Langford goes, I think you hit it right on the head there. I'm planning as soon as we get off of this, I wanted to do a little bit of research today, but I want to look at Wyatt compared to the other guys who got Rookie of the Year votes in both the American and National League among position players, and how they did from the second half of last season going forward, and Wyatt is going to rank very, very highly there. He has made the kind of typical upward assent that you would like to see in a superstar. There's been no real ups and downs. He did struggle a little bit out of the gate last year, and I think that was largely due to kind of getting his swing a little bit too much uphill, but they made that adjustment. He came back from an il stint and since then he's been he's been a really good baseball player, a really dangerous hitter.
Speaker 3: Ft fam, I hope you have as much confidence as Penelope right now, who is an avid Spot Tango fan. Okay, and she uses the code foul crats because this is a personalized dog food subscription service that prevents you, of course from going to the store to pick up the food, and she just gets the highest quality unkibble that is what they're known for.
Speaker 1: And I know you love the quiz part of it too.
Speaker 4: It's a super quick quiz, but it lets you give them the information and they tailor it to what is needed based on their age, size, activity level, all things that are customed for each and every one of your dogs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, human great ingredients in that Unkibble USDA meat, fruits and veggies that are approved there. Upgrade your pets bowl with Spot and Tango Unkibble. Go for it for a limited time. Go to spotantango dot com slash foul use code foul to get fifty five oh percent off your first order. That is spotantango dot com slash foul code foul to get fifty percent off your first order at spotantango dot com slash foul code foul.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you, Evan about Jock Peterson and it gives me, it just hurts my heart to see the struggles that Jock has gone through. Obviously, he finally busted out of that oh for forty one or whatever the heck it was. But then we were just all waiting and anticipating if the call was going to be overturned. What are you noticing from his swings? How does he I mean, you know that helps obviously, but how does he get out of this and get back to the guy that they signed to be in with.
Speaker 1: Look, I think the one thing that really works well for Jock here is his personality. You know, he's not going to let himself get too down. He comes to the ballpark with a great attitude every day. He is an upbeat guy. I do think he's probably feeling a little bit of pressure because you come here, you sign a big contract, You're supposed to slug against right handed pitching, and to this point you haven't. And it's frustrating, there's no way around it. It's frustrating when you look up at the screen and you see your batting average is, you know, fifty eight or sixty. On the subject of what he needs to do better, the only thing that I can kind of assess is it certainly looks to me like he's a little bit more crouched over at the plate. And he did say something early this season that he felt restricted in his swing, and he just hasn't seemed to been able to get out of that area where he just is restricted in his swing. And I think that's one thing the Rangers have been working on, is to try and get him a little bit more upright and let him just kind of let loose a little bit. But it's it's looked on occasion like he's uncomfortable at the plate swinging.
Speaker 5: You talk about okay struggles, not struggling. Jacob deGrom past injury history, we've seen it. But he looked good last night. Nathany Valdi gets his first complete game. But Kumar Rocker going to the il. Where are they in the midst of all of this going on as far as trying to find a guy who can get them some innings? What is that looking like moving forward?
Speaker 1: As in that well, look, Cam, I think that at the end of spring when they signed Patrick Corbin, I think that was a really good depth move. They're not looking for Patrick Corbyn to go out and win win fifteen games. They're not looking for him to pitch two hundred innings. They're looking for him to go out there and give them five innings per start. As far as the Rocker situation goes, you know, you look at this team going into the year and when they had the injuries that they had to John Gray and Cody Bradford, and now you've got to push two rookies into the rotation, two guys who don't have a ton of major league experience. For them to get through the stretch in the position that they're in, I think has been overall a positive. I do think with Kamara Rocker, the biggest issue for him right now is as works back from this shoulder impingement and hopefully it's just a minor issue. He's really got to get to a point where he is comfortable and confident in a third pitch. I think it's been a little bit too predictable for hitters. I think too off in fastball counts. He's had to throw fastballs and hasn't been able to get it by hitters, and so I think that's going to be the big project for him. All of this gets said, I don't think we've said enough. Jack Lder should be back this weekend, but he's been really impressive in his two starts before he had the blister issue. It's been a real step in the right direction. So I think the Rangers feel pretty positive about where their young pitchers are going. There are some things that still need to be addressed, but they've contributed to the Rangers fourteen to eleven starts. Rockers had five starts right. Three have been not great, two have been really good. So even when he hasn't been consistent, there have been a couple of good starts in there that have allowed the Rangers to stay keep their head above water.
Speaker 4: All right. Now, the person on the roster that I don't think you said his name. You're going through everything when you talked about Corey Seeger, I might have missed it. He has the blandest name, and yet the last two years he's been the guy that has just stepped up and done whatever's done. And he's hitting three thirty three and I think he has like fifty summer beats. Josh Smith super bland name and he's becoming a superstar. But will the Rangers allow him to become a superstar and play enough because there's other names that have been higher and bigger players and he just keeps producing.
Speaker 1: Well, Kratzy, I will correct you. I did say that he is hitting leadoff right now. That was the one thing I did say about it.
Speaker 4: I thought you could say it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, you know, Josh's name gets overlooked a lot of times. What I will say about this is, look, he's already started at six different positions on the field this year. He is a and I think this almost diminishes him a little bit when you call him a super utility player. But he's got the ability to play anywhere on the field and do better than adequately there, and that's incredibly valuable. It's also valuable to getting him enough playing time because, as you said, the Ringers have a lot of guys who are kind of entrenched in their positions. But to this point there's been plenty of opportunity for him to play. Josh Young went out for ten days with a neck issue. He was the everyday third baseman. Wyatt Langford went out with an oblique issue, he was the everyday left fielder. Corey Seeger is now out. He's going to be the everyday shortstop, and I think before it's all over with, he could get more of a look in center field because I think the Rangers are going to have to consider what they do with Leodi taveris there. It's just not been a good start to the year for him, and Leodi has now had five years out there and it's just not making a big step forward. So I think that there are challenges to getting him every day playing time, but so far the Rangers have found that and they will continue to make efforts to get him in the lineup. Bruce Bochie does not, in any way, shape or form diminish the value that Josh Smith has brought to this club. Is that bats have been probably the best and most consistent from the start of the year for this team.
Speaker 4: Evan.
Speaker 2: The reason Aj Pierzinski is not on the show today is because he's going to San Francisco to bother you and do the Giants Rangers game. So be on the lookout for Aj asking for free stuff from you. But speaking of the upcoming Giant series, this is a good team, probably a better team than a lot of us gave credit to. How can the Giants, in your opinion, or how can the Rangers in your opinion, be effective against San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Look, I think the biggest thing Alana is right now the process offensively has got to continue to improve. I think when the first night I can't stop myself from saint open. The first night in Sacramento, we saw a team that stopped swinging indiscriminately, took some more pitches. To Eric's point, Josh Smith in the first spot in the lead, first game, in the leadoff spot, takes a leadoff walk, their second leadoff walk of the year to start off a game, ends up with a two run inning because they've got guys on base. They're getting better pitches to hit. When I looked at the stats, earlier this week. This team led the major leagues in swing percentage and was last in walk percentage. And when you do that, you better be putting balls in play and hitting the ball hard. And the Rangers just haven't done that yet. So I think they've got to be a little bit more patient at the plate and work through that. That would be, for me, their number one project going into this Giant Series.
Speaker 4: All right, Evan, we have to rid off stats for players all the time. We're going to read off an awesome stat for you. You are now a league leader in foul territory. We've had five hundred and nine reporter guests that besides Ken Rosenthal, five hundred and nine reporter guest spots. You have twelve of them. You have twelve of them. You are two ahead of Britt Geroli and one ahead of C. Trent Rosecrants. So just we want to keep you hungry. We got to make sure we know you know who is in second and third place. So you ready, But we appreciate you here at the FT Network.
Speaker 1: Well, look, I don't want to say anything, but if anything bad happens to Britt or C. Trent, don't look. Don't looking for me it's great to be especially great with no Aj here, so it's it's like actually talking ball and not my gluttony.
Speaker 4: Not me for this weekend. When he when he, when he sees you this weekend, that'll be. It'll ruin your weekend in San Francisco. Normally it's cold in San Francisco. It's just gonna be cold all weekend for you. So sorry.
Speaker 1: At least here will be hot air to go around, so that'll be there.
Speaker 4: You go, there, you go, Evan.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you very much, even though Cam and Eric disagree with your barbecue choices. Cam says it's all about North Carolina. Eric says, it doesn't matter. You got to do it at home.
Speaker 1: I don't care.
Speaker 4: I just like to eat.
Speaker 2: We love you, my friend.
Speaker 1: Thanks for being on piece. Another time. Cam and I'll get into the whole North Carolina versus Texas. Yeah we will, Yeah, we will take care of y'all.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm