Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles and ahead.
Speaker 2: He got jacked.
Speaker 3: This is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Terry's gonna score touchdown slam to the ground by Buddha Baker like a torpedo.
Speaker 5: He came flying into the backfield.
Speaker 3: The rage is brought to you by santan Ford and Gilbert. Right on the Price, right on the corner of the sand Tan two to two Freeway.
Speaker 4: In Valves WAA Crab by Tray McBride.
Speaker 3: That was spectacular and by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot Com Slash podcast.
Speaker 2: All Right, Seas, Rising ar.
Speaker 6: Timp you Rising Vision, Blurry Rage, take it over.
Speaker 7: Here's Paul CALVICI I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you I'm ready. And Ron Wolfley, it.
Speaker 5: Doesn't get any better than that.
Speaker 7: The Fjord, Well, you know, the NFL combine is well underway. When even the NFL insiders are squaring off, I mean you talk about competitive fire around wolf Lee, Ian Rapaport and Jordan Schultz. I mean, fellas, there's enough breaking news to go around. You know, we don't need to be breaking jawbones in a local Starbucks in India. Okay, when NFL security is called over NFL media, my goodness, good news is our crew that's out there, boots on the ground are Darren Urban, Craig Reelu, Danny Sirek has yet to go firal for the wrong reason. So keep up the good work, all right, keep your nose clean our crew out there. And as for your NFL insiders out there, put down your lattes, go back to texting your sources and tune into the Big Red Rage, presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford, and speaking of NFL luminaries, how about in this edition, we're gonna hear a quna with Daniel Jeremiah from the Combine, Charles Davis, and then manti acit Fort and Jonathan ganneron wollfully all meeting the media. We're going to get into it. The Combine, the draft, free agency. The off season is off and running, is it not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no doubt about it, Bully, and especially this time of year too. You know when you get to the Combine, you know, oh my goodness, the off season is truly kicking in now. I know, we still have the league gear, the new year league gear coming up ahead of us where free agency is going to kick in as well. But man, right now, whenever the combine opens its doors and the NFL descends and US sends on Indianapolis, man, it's always a very very exciting time.
Speaker 7: So working out today, we're talking the forty yard dash, we're talking agility drills. The three cone is the defensive line, and maybe fitting the D line is leading things off because it might be the deepest position group in this year's NFL scouting combine. In fact, to start the week, Daniel Jeremiah tweeted out that of the top fifty prospects, fifteen of them in his rankings are either D linemen or edge rushers. And then you look at NFL network and you look at the televised coverage and by the way, last year record TV ratings for combine coverage on the NFL network, and you can't help but see new Cardinals D line coach, coach debo, our guests last week, coach Winston d Latti Boudair, who is working with the D lineman out on the field in Indianapolis.
Speaker 1: You know that is such an advantage of I always thought that, Paully. I don't know about you, but I always thought, man, that is such an advantage that you have one of your coaches actually out on the field at the combine looking at these guys up close and personal, and not only that, but talking to these guys as well. You know, they have some type of meeting where they're sitting in a room and they're saying, Okay, boys, this is what we're going to do out here. They have to do something to let them know exactly what their drills are going to be, what they're going to add asked them to do, and how they might want to go about executing those drills. And to have a coach that is right there and eyes up close and personal. I always thought that was an advantage.
Speaker 7: You know what, Most mock drafts right now have Abduall Carter going number one overall, the edge out of Penn State, who, by the way, is not working out, and ESPN reporting that test revealed a stress fracture in his foot. Agent Drurozanow says, not a big deal. It doesn't even need surgery. He's going to wait till his pro day to work out. I bring it up because abduall Carter. He told the media quote, I feel like I'm the best player in the country, and the best player should be picked first. So he's owning his status as potentially the number one pick overall.
Speaker 1: You know, I think, honestly, PAULI, when you look at abduall Carter, I think he's right. I think he's right. And he happens to play a position where there is a premium on that position in the NFL, and that is edge and Abdul Carter, of course, we all know he had a stretch stress fracture in his foot. I don't know why that was so difficult to actually say that, But it looks like he's going to be okay. It looks like he's going to select to bypass any type of surgery. So we'll see how that goes for Abdul Carter. But I don't think it's going to set him back. I do believe he still will be taking number one overall.
Speaker 7: By the way, since two thousand and seven, the number is three. Three defensive players have been chosen number one overall since two thousand and seven. Jadavian Clowning twenty fourteen, Miles Garrett twenty seventeen, Trayvon Walker twenty twenty two. By the way, Trayvon Walker had none of the production that Abdul Carter had this year when he had twelve sacks and he led the nation with twenty three and a half tackles for loss. So there's that. Cardinals says, we know we're picking number sixteen. Wolf. Are you aware that in recent Cardinals history at number sixteen, the Cardinals have selected twenty twenty one one linebacker Zaven Collins, two thousand and eight, corner Dominique Rodgers Cromarty, and then your former teammate pro bowler Louise Sharp nineteen eighty two, when number sixteen.
Speaker 1: Overall, I did not know that, Bully. Oh my goodness, Louise Sharp. So many guys, so many people do not truly understand what an awesome left tackle Louis Sharp was. You know who did understand it, Paully. That was Lawrence Taylor. If I told you, Paully that I was out at the Pro Bowl a couple of years as a matter of fact, and Lawrence Taylor was walking around the locker room as well, had the opportunity to get to know LT a little bit right there and lt said, man Louis Sharp was the guy that blocked him the best. He told me that to my wow, I kid you.
Speaker 7: Not that that's something that will never show up in a box score. That's the ultimate compliment, no doubt about that. All right, So Cardinal's pig in sixteenth overall dead said, right in the middle of the first round, And what does that mean for the GM Moni asin fort here he is at the combine this week.
Speaker 8: Certainly a different feel for us this year going in this draft, you know, picking three and picking four, you know, we could narrow down who is going to be sitting there for us, and so gets a little bit harder picking at sixteen. You know, I think the importance of us staying flexible and just hey, you got to wait and see what happens in front of us, and then you got to wait and see what opportunities come your way, and so you know those won't declare until a couple of hours into the event on Thursday night. But you know, I think it just makes it adds a few more variables into than what we've dealt with last couple of years.
Speaker 7: Do you have a gut feeling and what Moni might do this year, especially since we've seen him do everything right. We've seen him trade down, we've seen him trade up, we've seen him stick and pick.
Speaker 1: What do you think at sixteen, Yeah, Paulie, it's all going to depend on who might be there. Actually, if you tell me that, you know you've got some guys that are actually falling down the draft board, like I would say a Jaalen Walker, if you tell me he's falling down him. By the way, have you noticed how many different NFL scouts that are out there, NFL analysts that really study the draft, how different each mock draft is that is out there right now. There's a lot of a lot of debate as to who are the best edge rushers, who are the best defensive lineman interior defensive lineman. But if you tell me a guy like Jalen Walker might actually fall to number sixteen, I think that would matter to Manti ausin Ford. Having said that, if nobody falls, I think he's probably gonna trade down and collect more picks.
Speaker 7: Yeah, definitely see that. Mel Kiper two point oho this week, Shamar Stewart out of Texas A and m going to the Cardinals at sixteen. Bucky Brooks two point Oho NFL dot com. Walter Nolan d Liman out of Ole Miss. You have questions about the draft and draft prospects. I can't think of anyone better than Daniel Jeremiah And guess what he's our guest when we come back. It is the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 2: Let's do Wolf.
Speaker 7: Now, let's start out as Jack Nicholson.
Speaker 6: You give me a ground pounder and three dirt liquors and we'll get it in every time.
Speaker 2: Don't interrupt me. This is too good for this.
Speaker 6: Let your dirt liquors do what they do. Come off the ball and let the ground pounder.
Speaker 2: Stick it in.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 7: If you have more than one thing in common with Frank Calliando, all right, one, he does an impersonation of you. Number two you're also fond of saying, Dave, don't interrupt me. I'm talking over here, the great Frank Calliando. Very entertaining edition of the Pash Pod. Dare we say the most entertaining, because you know what it's all Frank and Dave's just along for the ride. Check it out Azcardinals dot com wherever you get your podcasts. It is the Big Red Rage Our Combine Edition presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford, Paul Calvic, the aforementioned Ron wolf Ley and well, sometimes you know it's that simple. You're just looking for or a dirt liquor, right, somebody who just can physically dominate another man. And then there is all the data that twenty twenty five is all about. And I bring that up because Next Gen Stats, in conjunction with the NFL, has come out with what they call a comprehensible form of player projection that they call the Combine IQ. They released it to the public earlier today on the NFL website. You can go click on it, you can check it out. It's a dashboard. They're going to post all the results of all the drills and then all the tracking data because these guys are wearing chips, and they're going to put it into this player projection model and grade everyone from fifty to ninety nine in athleticism production and overall draft score because they're taking into account their production from their college career as well. So they're trying to model all this data going all the way back to two thousand and three. You can compare players to the last twenty three years draft prospects and see how each guy fares.
Speaker 2: You gotta be kidding me, Paul.
Speaker 7: It's all I know. Just you know it violates my rule no math. Go to NFL dot com. It's pretty dang impressive as to what they're doing right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know what, Paul too, if you're talking about Frank Caliendo, of course doing me and talking about dirt liquors. Can I tell you right now that I'll take Tyler Booker. I'll take him and I will run. Seriously, if you tell me he's there at number sixteen and you tell me that that is going to be where the Arizona Cardinals would like to go, boy, I'll take that and I'll run.
Speaker 7: Well, look, there's a lot we don't know right now about this combine in this draft. Right Who's going number one overall? Who's going to be the top quarterback selected? I mean, which position is Travis Hunter the heisman? We're even going to play? He told the media today that he'll play whatever position his drafting team wants him to play, although he'd love to play both sides of the ball. So that's interesting there. Well, once again, you want to go to resource our Craig Grielu, Danny Sirek Indianapolis at the NFL Combine and they had a chance to catch up with NFL dot Com Draft expert Daniel Jeremiah for what has now become an annual interview.
Speaker 10: A year ago, when we spoke with you Cardinals with the fourth overall pick, you called it the pole.
Speaker 11: Position in the draft.
Speaker 10: Now at sixteen, what position do you call it?
Speaker 12: The sweet spot? Yeah, you're in the sweet spot. You know you're in a good spot. I think this draft is it's odd, it's weird. I will tell you, like I migrating seal that I have that I use it. I picked up back in Baltimore a million years ago. There's a grade that's like a Pro Bowl player grade, so you know that what you're saying, there's a high likelihood that this player is going to be a Pro Bowler. In last year's draft, I think there was maybe eighteen of them around there, seventeen eighteen.
Speaker 11: This year there's like seven.
Speaker 12: So I don't think this is a year you want to be picking you know, eight, nine, ten, But I think sixteen just back far enough where I think there's some value to be had there.
Speaker 11: You're kind of in the middle of that pack.
Speaker 12: But you are in a deep defensive draft, especially along the line scrimmage, You're going to.
Speaker 11: Get a really really solid player right there.
Speaker 13: That is music to the ears of Cardinals fans.
Speaker 2: Defense Go figure, huh, Yes.
Speaker 13: I mean on the defensive line and on the edge, those are areas of need for this Cardinals defense. What do you see from those position groups with this draft class?
Speaker 12: Yeah, defensive tackles as deep as I can ever remember.
Speaker 11: I don't ever remember seeing a group this deep.
Speaker 12: You know, last year I had twelve players that I thought, you know, had starting potential at defensive tackle this year at twenty four, so I don't ever remember seeing anything like that. So it's not only there in the first round, but out all throughout the draft you can find defensive tackles that have an opportunity to develop into starters and then.
Speaker 11: Edge rusher wise.
Speaker 12: It's a great debate to have, and I'm sure they're going to have it within the walls of the building in Arizona, which is we've got traits, We've got long, rangy, explosive guys, and then we've got production We've got some guys who maybe don't have all those traits, but man, they really know how to win and rush. So you know that's going to be a classic kind of debate to rage on there and see which direction they go. But I do know they're going to have an option get a Day one starter at either defensive tackle or at edge rusher if that's the direction they want to go.
Speaker 10: Because of that depth, could you see a team, whether it's the Cardinals or someone else, address a different position, say at sixteen for the Cardinals, and didn't take that defensive tackle, defensive lineman, or edge rusher at forty seven or later.
Speaker 12: On, Well, I would say I would use the lesson of Philly, which is there's nothing wrong.
Speaker 11: With taking two.
Speaker 12: You want to go shopping for a dtackle in the first round, swing around, take another one in the fourth round, Go do it.
Speaker 11: I don't think you have to pick.
Speaker 12: I think you can say that's where the strength of this draft is, so I don't necessarily think of it. Well, there's so many of them. I can avoid one here and come get one later. I say, just double up. There's a team that just won the Super Bowl that was eight to nine deep. Along the defensive line, So I think there's that there's some real value and going that route.
Speaker 10: Are there the defensive tackles that you have the twenty four that you have first round grades?
Speaker 11: Are they similar?
Speaker 10: Are there certain styles depending on what defensive you might be running.
Speaker 11: Yeah, oh, all different flavors.
Speaker 12: But I would say there's more like there's more three hundred plus pound guys that can do a little bit of everything, Whereas in the past I felt like, man, we've got some three hundred and thirty pound like just phone booth like space eater, gobble block guys, and then we've got some two hundred and eighty five two hundred ninety pound upfield rushers.
Speaker 11: This draft I don't remember.
Speaker 12: I mean, we have so many three hundred and ten, three hundred and fifteen pound guys that can penetrate, get up the field, but are also strong enough to anchor a double team like versatile versatile guys.
Speaker 13: Cardinals have a handful of pending free agents, starting on the offensive line. What do you see from this offensive line class.
Speaker 12: I don't think that there's the premier guys, which is not going to matter where it's sixteen, they would be gone anyway. If there were premier guys. But I do think along the interior there's some depth where you can get guys day two, in the maybe early day three.
Speaker 11: Offensive tackle wise, I think it's a little.
Speaker 12: Bit of a shallow pool, so that those guys, I think, you know, once you get through the really the first round, it's gonna be hard to find a starting tackle outside the first round.
Speaker 10: Is this where, all of a sudden, maybe this draft is done the headline names, but maybe where you could develop or add pieces to fortify both sides.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that's what it is. It's a meat and potatoes draft. It's a draft where you're finding starters, not stars, and it is at the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 11: That's where you're gonna find guys.
Speaker 12: And to me, I look at differently from the offensive line of the defensive line. Offensive line wise, I'm a firm believer and you're as strong as your weakest guy. You don't want to have, as I refer to him as a tomato can. You know you can't have four Hall of Famers in a tomato can, because a tomato can is gonna get you quarterback hit every single time. So upgrading the back end of your offensive line, I think there's value, whereas on the defensive line, I think you're chasing impact. You're chasing guys who can really make a difference and win one on one and make some disruptive plays.
Speaker 11: And I think we have those guys.
Speaker 12: So it's kind of a floor offensive line draft, and I think there's some ceiling along the defensive line this year.
Speaker 7: There you go, Daniel Jeremiah from Cardinals Cover too. You can catch the entire interview and it's great stuff. Cardinals Cover two, Azycardinals dot Com, wherever year podcasts. It posted today. Tomorrow is going to be Charles Davis. We're going to preview that coming up a little bit later in this edition of The Big Red rage Are Combine Edition presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert. What stood out to you the most there on all those different topics and all the insights from Daniel Jeremiah, just.
Speaker 1: All of the line of scrimmage Bully for the most part, the conversation about depth from day one in terms of finding guys that can play on the line of scrimmage offensively and defensively. Right now, I can't get over at Bully because the blood sport is back in the National Football League.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It's no longer a situation where the spread has taken over. You know how I feel about this. It has come back to the game of football once again. Think about the emphasis that is now placed on a running back and having a great rushing attack. Think of the Philadelphia Eagles. Okay, they've just won the Super Bowl. Of course, they ran the ball over six hundred times this season, over six hundred times. That was number one in the National Football League. Now, listen, I understand Jalen Hurts pulling the ball down. There was an awful lot of that. But anyone who watched any tape on the Eagles, you know, they lined up and they gave the ball to Saquon Barkley, of course, and they ran the ball in that offensive line. Football is now once again played on the line of scrimmage offensively and defensively. And you know, all the other teams in the National Football League they love to rip off whoever wins the Super Bowl. And looking at the Philadelphia Eagles, that is where their team is built, on the line of scrimmage, and I think that's back in vogue.
Speaker 7: You know, you don't go to a steakhouse in order the tofu right. So if this draft is just utterly deep in defensive lineman, I like the question about you know, hey, do you go O line and run and then maybe load up in round two and three on D line because it's so deep, And Daniel Jeremiah's response was, well, why don't you just double up at sixteen and forty seven? Maybe you go D line? To your point, because the Eagles were senting pass rushers and defensive linemen in waves all the way to a Lombardi Trophy. And you know what, you have free agency coming up. It starts in less than two weeks. Trey Smith wasn't the only potential free agent guard on the market today. Kansas City, the Chiefs franchise tag their young Pro Bowl offensive guard Tray Smith, so he's not going to be available, but they're about a half dozen other dudes who could be plug and play guys who are proven starting caliber offensive guards, and as Maniasiford told the media this week, you want to enter any draft with the ability to play a game. Before you go in and even look at your draft board, you want to have a roster so you're not in dire need of a particular position. So if the Cardinals at least have enough to be feasible and viable on the offensive line going into this draft, yeah, I you can see him loading up at sixteen and forty seven on the defensive line.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I'm with you on that, Paul, seriously. And once again, if there is a position that I truly value in terms of free agency, it's the offensive line.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: Now, can you overpay for a certain guy? Of course you can overpay, But to me, Paul, for the most part, you can see what an offensive lineman is doing. You can see him compete against NFL caliber defensive linemen and linebackers. You can actually watch him. And there's a huge body of work for most of these free agents, of course, a huge body of work that you can study and examine and really come to a conclusion that this guy is exactly what we need. He's a perfect fit for our offense because of AB and C defensive lineman Sometimes, even in the NFL, sometimes you'll see a defensive lineman get paid, and then when he gets paid, what happens a lot of times some of that production will drop off, and I think it's because they're just not as hungry as they once were. Offensive linemen, for the most part, are built a little bit differently, and I like looking at NFL offensive linemen blocking NFL defensive linemen. I like looking at that. Now when it comes to the draft, I like looking at college prospects on the defensive line more than the offensive line, because I think you've got to project with the offensive line more. You got to project with a young guy as to whether or not he's going to make the mental adjustment to being an offensive lineman in the NFL. And it's not as easy as you may think.
Speaker 7: I've seen a lot of these insiders in these draft analysts and the experts at the combine this week. Compare the potential of this D line draft class to twenty nineteen when Nick Bosa went, Quinn Williams, Christian Wilkins, Jeffrey Simmons, Brian Burns, Dexter Lawrence, and the Cardinals even got Zach Allen in round three. So if it's that sort of draft, I think then the question becomes, you know, a Kenneth Grant from Michigan, right, all the measurables, but what's the motor like Shamar Stewart, Crazy measurables and athleticism. But where's the production. How do you weigh that? Well, if the potential and the measurables versus that production in college?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, once again, it is a production, Paul, that is it. I mean a projection, not a production. It is a projection. And because of that, you really don't know so much of this, Polly comes down to the individual himself. And that's the reason why the interviews are huge at the Combine.
Speaker 7: I heard it said, in fact, it was field Yates earlier today on ESPN. This is a great draft for front offices that know what they're doing. Interesting. We'll get more insights from Charles Davis. He's with Cardinals cover two when we come back. In this edition Combine edition of the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Shot gunna snap Murray to throw a fade right side of the end zone. I'm the money to Marvin Harrison Junior.
Speaker 2: Touchdown.
Speaker 4: What a throw by Murray. That's his fourth touchdown pass, tying a career high.
Speaker 5: You can see that coming a mile away, Marvin Harrison Junior one on one against the corner, and he went ahead and ran the fade and sure enough, Kyler Murray put it out there, and Marvin Harrison Junior went and got.
Speaker 4: It Tex Fitz and let him know that Marvin Harrison Junior just tied his rookie record. That's eight touchdown catches, tying him with Ankwon, Bolden and Larry for most touchdown catches by a rookie and Team Histery.
Speaker 2: Pretty good company right there.
Speaker 7: No doubt, I mean the numbers were there yet. I think anybody who watched Cardinals football in twenty twenty four there is serious upside still in store from Arvin Harrison Junior. Agree or disagree with that.
Speaker 2: Ron Wolflinck, no doubt about it, Bully.
Speaker 7: It is a big Red rage Our Combine edition presented by santan Ford and Gilbert We are santan Ford. We're gonna hear from Charles Davis. CBS analysts always look forward to that, but Wolfe was interesting to hear. Jonathan Gannon at the podium is fifteen minutes with the media this week, bring up on his own Trey Benson and at what sort of leap he thinks Trey Benson is going to take from his first to his second year. If I gave you a choice, between Marvin Harrison Junior, Trey Benson, Max Melton, who I thought had a really strong finish to his rookie year, and Isaiah Adams, who we know puts some good stuff on film and has been in the weight room basically every single day since the end of last season. If you had to pick one of those guys to really excel from year one to year two, who do you think is going to take the biggest step, the biggest leap.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, Polly, I'm gonna go with Marvin Harrison Junior. But you know I'm in the danger zone when it comes to Marvin Harrison Junior. I just this guy. Expectation for him was so incredibly high coming in as a rookie. It was really something that I think was inappropriate. I should not have had that type of expectation put on a rookie coming in trying to be wide receiver one, and I reject myself in front of King and country for actually doing it. But I do believe in what is going to happen next year. The fact that you've got Manti asin Fort and JG who believe that a rookie comes in and his growth from year one to year two is going to be significant. They believe that that is dogma and if it doesn't appear, if you don't have that growth, then you know what you might be moved off of. I think with Marvin Harrison Junior, of course, being selected as high as he is, there's no way in the world they'd ever move off no matter what happens next year or this coming season. But I can tell you right now that because of the workout that he has and because of the talent that he has, those two things are going to come together. He cares about his job. I don't think there's going to be a bigger improvement from any rookie to year two than Marvin Harrison Junior.
Speaker 7: And you know what, he's competitive. When you see him on the field, you do realize how competitive he is. So when he sees Malik Neighbors and Brian Thomas juniors, the two all rookie wide receivers, I'm thinking, I'm thinking that's motivating, that's going to fuel him this offseason. But I'm with you, guiltiest charge. A year ago at this time, I'm like, oh boy, you take Marvin Harrison Junior number four, just pencil him in Jamar Chase rookie season, Justin Jefferson rookie season, Pro Bowl campaigns. And it's not always that easy, it's not always that quick getting that sort of success in the NFL. No one knows that better than Charles Davis, right, CBS analyst and draft guru. And there he was in Indianapolis and joining Cardinals. Cover two are Craig Rielou and Danny Serek with Charles Davis.
Speaker 10: You got free agency, got the drafts, yep. So for you, your analyst had on. When you see the Arizona Cardinals coming up in twenty twenty five, what do you want to see?
Speaker 2: I wrote some notes down.
Speaker 9: I hope that's okay, perfect.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Defensively, who's your wreckord that's going to go? Get a quarterback? Can you get an edge guy? Know bj Ojalari? Can he come back from injury? But you know that's like coming back from knees oftentimes it's the second year and not the first year. But can you have those people who can put into pressure? I wrote down edge, I wrote down interior defensive line continue to get better and stronger. There, wide receiver, continue to supplement around. I think there'll be a breakout for Marvin Harrison, I really do. I think he's going to continue to go. I thought Michael Wilson had a nice year last year, offensive front, offensive guard, offensive tackle. I think they've done a nice job and it seems to me they like big people, right. That seems to be where they want to go with this, with how they want to run the football with James Connor and crew, I think this is a draft that has a lot of big offensive linemen in it that they can plug in and go and listen. I don't mind playing the young offensive lineman. I think a lot of people worry about that. Sometimes it can bite you. Kansas City struggled because they drafted Kingsley's so Ma Tayya out of BYU in the second round, hoping he would be their left tackle. Didn't happen, and you guys know what happened from there, because Joe Toney is at all Pro guard, he's not an all Pro tackle, and it killed him.
Speaker 2: In the Super Bowl.
Speaker 13: A bright spot for the Cardinals defense was the secondary, especially that back half of the season, and you got to see it now. Cardinals defense was some of the best in keeping opponents out of the end zone. A league low ten passing touchdowns allot on the last eleven games. A lot of young faces though in that group, especially in the cornerbacks room. What positives did you see from that room specifically for the Cardinals for the future and what that's going to look like.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you saw the growth, You saw the stature. Sighting gives you a lot more confidence of what's going on back there. I think that they can walk into that room now and realize we are not just Buddha Baker and a bunch of other people. And I think with Nick Rollis's way of playing, they're able to make plays, be quicker to the football, see it in front of them, and do it. And I can't wait to see what their improvement's going to be. And I can't wait to see what competition many Austin for it brings in for him too, because he's not gonna stand.
Speaker 10: Pat When you look at the Cardinals wide receivers. You brought Marvin, you brought Michael Wilson, What are you seeing from them that gives you belief that, Okay, there's something there? Because as a defensive back, they make it difficult for me to defend two things.
Speaker 9: Size post catch, I gotta go through this big body, strong physically Harrison Wilson. And then when they do catch it, I gotta get them on the ground. If I don't get him on the ground, I got a problem. That's the key. But that's why, that's what I see with these receivers. And obviously Trade McBride is your ultimate example, even though he's a tight end. But I'm counting the tight ends with receivers more and more of these days.
Speaker 7: It's funny that reminds me the great quote from Ben Steele not too long ago, the tight Ends coach about Trey McBride in the entire tight end room, if you don't block, then you're just a slow receiver, which is one of our favorites right there, and Trey McBride the complete tight end. Something you've been on about Charles Davis there from the combine with Danny Surak and Craig Grielou. You can catch the whole entire interview starting on Friday, Cardinals cover two. All right, Wolf, just general takeaways from what you heard there from NFL Networking CBS analyst Charles Davis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that right there where you said defensively, who's your wrecker. Who is that guy? And there are a lot of teams out there that do whether he's on the edge or he's an interior defensive lineman, a three technique or a combination thereof Right there? Who is the wrecker for the Arizona Cardinals. Now listen, Darius Robinson. He could possibly be that wrecker at some point in time, but he's got to prove that he is that guy. Pj Ojalai you heard him actually acknowledge him. Yeah, you know what this guy could promising, but once again, a young guy that's got to prove it. I thought immediately of Kenneth Grant and Mason Grant. I thought of those two guys specifically three techniques defensive tackles in interior defensive lineman from Michigan. Those two guys, Kenneth Grant and Mason Graham. I really really love their play. And I think Kenneth Grant in particular, a guy that I know might have some questions from time to time, but he's a big dude.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: He's three hundred and forty two pounds. A lot of people say he doesn't have the motor that you'd like to see. But for me, watching what I've seen of Kenneth Grant and what I've read on him. That guy right there, I'll take him and I'll plug him in immediately.
Speaker 7: And you know what, if there's a couple of things we've learned about mante Ossiborne, Jonathan gannon A. They only want players who are deadly serious about football and be for the most part, they believe it's a big man's game. Yes, and we've seen those two shall we say tenants in each and every draft pick virtually is that's how they screen guys, and when given the option, they will go that direction, will they not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, they will definitely do that. Paully can I also say this. I loved his comment on I don't mind playing young offensive linemen that I agree with, but the Paris Johnson juniors man, that is the exception to me. Yeah, it's the exception.
Speaker 2: And not the rule.
Speaker 1: For the most part. It's what I was talking about in regard to free agency. I like offensive linemen who have played in the league. I like looking at them up against NFL defensive lineman not just in one game, not just in ten games, but in three years of watching this guy play against that caliber of a defensive lineman. I think it gives you a better footing as to what he could actually do when it comes to projecting a player into your offense and the kind of production you might be able to get out of him. I think, once again, offensive lineman making that transition into the NFL, it typically takes them a couple of years, just like Paris Johnson Junior. I think it's taken him a couple of years right now. But I like free agents. That's what I like in terms of offensive lineman. But I like the fact that Charles said he didn't mind taking a young offensive lineman.
Speaker 7: And if it isn't Tyler Booker out of Alabama at number sixteen, and a lot of mock drafts have Miami the Dolphin snagging him at thirteen, then there's at least three other offensive guards I was looking that might make sense if you trade down in the first round or perhaps at number forty seven in round two. So I wouldn't be shocked if that's the direction the Cardinals go. Is interesting. Darius Robinson came up there, and Jonathan Gannon at the combine this week said he was never totally healthy the entire season. Yeah, and you know what, he was never off the injury part all year. So what does that mean for year two for d Rob And then when it comes to defensive linemen and edge rushers in particular, I have the quote in front of me JG talking in the media. He said, you know what, being disruptive in the passing game, that's the first thing I look for. And when you look at our defense, hit zoom out. JG saying that's the way we can improve is to disrupt the quarterback a little bit better than we did last year. Said that's how we take the next step. He called it as a defense, and then he said, acquisition is a way you could help that, whether it's free agency or the draft, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, for me, Paulie, once again, what's the next step for the Arizona Cardinals For me? Be able to rush for and drop seven. You've heard me talk about this before in the past, Pauli, but it's so critical and I think you saw it in Super Bowl fifty nine as well. The ability to be able to rush for and get pressure on a quarterback and drop seven and the impact that it truly has on that quarterback. If you can get to that point, man, you are way ahead of the game right now. And Nick Rowlis did a great job scheming up pressures for the Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 2: Doing a great job with that.
Speaker 1: But man, I want to see this team get to a point where they have four guys that they can line up and rush the passer and drop seven. But that starts, Paul with having one guy that you can really count on to do that, and then you get to and.
Speaker 2: Then move on.
Speaker 7: You're absolutely right. I mean, how often did Nick Rowless last year play mad scientists?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, we called it eleven card pickup where you didn't know who was playing what position. That was out of necessity in a lot of times. So what if you can just rush for and drop seven? The possibilities are endless. Hey, learn more about Cardinals season tickets, all the premium seating in the luxury field seating. Just go to asycardinals dot com slash tickets. We'll talk about free agency what that might mean for the Cardinals less than two weeks away. On the Big Red Rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 4: Give to cook up the middle and he's tackled at the line of scrimmage by Mac Wilson making his Cardinal debut, gets a tackle for a loss.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 5: Mack Wolson Senior shot the gap and made the play.
Speaker 2: Ron played of the right.
Speaker 4: Cook wrapped up and dropped in the backfield by Wilson.
Speaker 5: Incredible job by mack Wilson Senior coming from the.
Speaker 2: Backside of the play. Huge play by mack Wilson.
Speaker 4: Sor pressure up the middle, pass batt down by Wilson at the line incomplete. Mac Wilson jumped up into the air, got a hand on it, hands it off for Cook and he's cut down at the twenty yard line. Mac Wilson with the hit. Big hit by the Cardinal newcomer, Mac Wilson.
Speaker 2: Senior getting a little grease right there. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, if you and a day, Pash called his number, called his name quite a bit this past season. An outstanding free agent signing by Mania support and the Cardinals. If you flash back to the free agent class twenty twenty four, we also had Sean Murphy bunting at corner DJ Dallas. You had Justin Jones, Blall and Nichols along that defensive line. Both expected to have big rebound years this year. Evan Brown Jonah Williams. But once again, MacWilson Senior, what you saw in film and New England right that projection, it was almost like a college draft pick in some ways because he was used sparingly and really the only final month plus of the season for the Patriots. But what you saw in that four or five game span, Man, did he build on that over a seventeen game season for the Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I'm with you on that, Polly, Seriously, I think MacWilson Sr. Is going to be a very very important piece to what the Arizona Cardinals defense does this year. Can I also say, though, going back to Blown Nichols and Justin Jones, those two guys right there, Paully, I really do believe are going to come back this year and have a little bit more focus, if you know what I mean, a little bit more impetus to actually go out there and re establish themselves on this roster. And one of the reasons why I say that is because I do expect the Arizona Cardinals to go out there and bring some young guys in, whether it's through free agency or whether it's going to be through the draft, whatever it may be. I do believe that the depth on the defensive line is this is going to be one of the better camp battles.
Speaker 7: I think Pauli and look what happened LJ. Collier two years ago, right when he went down early in the season, first game of the season twenty twenty three. Then he really rebounded with a big year for the Cardinals and that defensive front. So hopefully you figure that's in store for Justin Jones, Ball Nichols. Here's Manias aboard the GM the decision maker on building through free agency versus the draft this week at the combine.
Speaker 8: That's always a balance, right because you know, I think we talk about, hey, when we get through free agency, can we go out and play a game? Because I think what we don't want to do is we don't want to go into a draft and saying, hey, we absolutely have to draft this position to fill this need. You know, I think that's that's a tough place to be in because you don't know who's going to be available. You don't know if that player is ready to fill that role, right, And so I think that's a balance. It's a balance of the roster building of hey, where are we going to sink our resources free agency wise, and then that opens up possibilities in the draft.
Speaker 7: And we've talked a lot about the line of scrimmage, both D line, O line, and there could be free agent signings, especially on the old line that are coming. They're in store here in a couple of weeks. But what about middle linebacker. You talk about mac Wilson Senior. You got to talk about Kaizer White because last we heard from those two guys, it was on social media, Kaizer White posting thank you AZ at the end of the year, and then MacWilson Senior responding, say, no, don't do this to me. Appreciate you for everything, Go get yours. And so look, MANI was ahead of the curve and getting deals done with Buddha Baker and James Connor and Xavin Collins. I wonder if he tried to get a deal done with Kaizer White. They didn't agree on a number. And now Kaizer White is headed a free agency and what does that mean for the Cardinals when it comes to the quarterback of your defense.
Speaker 1: Boy, that is a tough one right there.
Speaker 2: Paully.
Speaker 1: I know you have thoughts on this as well, but just thinking of Kaizer White and the fact that Nick Rawlis named his baby after him. You know, I think that has an awful lot to do. I mean, the respect that Nick Rawlis has for Kaizer White and JG as well, and even Manti Ausen for it, there's no denying it. The respect they have for Kaiser White cannot be measured, I think with human hands. Yet at the same time, he's going to test the waters and sometimes, Paully, that's the best thing you could possibly do. I know that's something the Rams are doing right now with Matthew Stafford. They're letting him go out there and see what kind of deal will you be able to get out there with somebody else, and then we'll talk about the possibilities. I wonder if that isn't what happened with Kaizer White as well. I wonder if that wasn't a situation. And again it's neither here nor there. I don't know, no, but he's told me this. It's just me looking at it from the outside in. I wonder if Mani Austin for it. Hey, Kaizer, you go out there and you try to get what you possibly can, and then we'll tell you if we're interested in matching that offer.
Speaker 7: No, it's a very plausible theory. You flashed back two years ago at this time. Jonathan ginn and obviously had knowledge of Kaizer White from his days as the Eagles defensive coordinator, right brought Kaizer over from Philly.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 7: JG was asked about that this week at the combine. Just having familiarity with certain free agents.
Speaker 14: Anytime you have like real time experience with a player, you kind of kind of know a little bit. You know, free agency is just like all players. There's a little bit of unknown with all those guys. That decreases the unknown with me because I was with him for a couple of years. So we'll look at all the players in free agency see if they fit us. I know there's a money component to everything, but at the end of the day, we'll do what's best for us and try to acquire guys that are going to help us win.
Speaker 7: And of course, the media followed up by saying, you know, coach, when you defensive coordinator of Philly, you had a guy by the name of Josh Sweat who starred in the Super Bowl. You had a guy by the name of Milton Williams defensive wrecking ball interior d line. So that was sort of the genesis of that question. Now, those two guys are going to be in high demand and probably gonna get high dollars, I would imagine in the open marketplace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be really interesting to see what Josh Sweat gets, PAULI, because he's going to be going into his eighth year and it's not like Josh Sweat. It's not like you looked at Josh Sweat and you thought to yourself, man, this guy is one of the best edge rushers in the history of the game or he now. Has he done well? Of course he has. He's gone out there. He had eight sacks last year, the year before that six and a half. He did have eleven in twenty twenty two that was the most. But this is a guy who's played seven years in the league right now, will be going into his eighth year, and it's not like he's done nothing but post double digit sacks for the most part. So I have to won at this point in time just how many offers he's going to get and what that offer will be. Now, for me, I'm really really encouraged because I think Josh Sweat might actually give the Arizona Cardinals a free agent discount, if you will, because of JG and because of Nick Rawlis. And we also know that the Cardinals looking at Josh Sweat man, they have the price of admission, as JG likes to say, And knowing Josh Sweat, I would imagine he feels really really good about possibly bringing him in here. We'll have to wait and see how this unfolds, of course, and it's all speculation, but I'm going to put the Arizona Cardinals as possibly the front runner for Josh Sweat.
Speaker 7: Interesting, you know, the low key priority for Mania Saport, maybe just because I've seen his name pop up on a few lists of potential free agent pass rushers. Baron Browning, Yes, still fairly young. I thought he finished with a flourish. You know, we talked to JG on his TV show every week. Once he got totally healthy, once he got familiar with the defense, and he was playing and not thinking, and he had all his skills at his disposal, he finished pretty strong, didn't he.
Speaker 1: Paully?
Speaker 2: How about this right here? Now?
Speaker 1: Listen, you know how I feel Pro football focus is not the end all be all. It's not yet at the same time, they had Baron Browning ranked number five in terms of edge rushers in free agency.
Speaker 2: Wow, number five. Ball interesting to your point.
Speaker 7: Okay, So yeah, and I think you know what I might have seen that. I think that was like the second half of the season. They sort of took the guys who made the biggest imprint on the game and defensively. And yeah, so I'm curious how they value him, and I'm curious if they get a deal done because his money said this week, once you go to market, anything can happen. Anyone can go and throw some big money. By the way, the best news for you Wolf, as the NFL said today, they're trying to find a way to bring on sidekicks. Yeah, baby back into the game.
Speaker 2: Hey, give me a call.
Speaker 1: I'll let you know.
Speaker 7: Special thanks Executive producer Jim Amhuandro, Associate producer Cody Fincher, Technical director Evan Reiser. Thanks to Daniel Jeremiah and Charles Davis, Ron wofully On Paul KELVC. This has been the Big Red Rage presented ice santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert right on the price, right on the corner of the Santan two to two freeway.
Speaker 7: And valves Guy.
Speaker 3: The Rage is brought to you by Arizona Cardinals Podcast. Visit Azycardinals dot com slash podcast.
Speaker 1: We're gonna see a little, big red rage football right here.
Speaker 3: This has been an exclusive presentation of the Arizona Cardinals Football Club.