Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 1: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This he's Talking Cowboys, Screaming live from the Dallas Cowboys World Course.
Speaker 4: At the Star in Frisco's President.
Speaker 2: Touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 4: It's a Monday edition of Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas and the SWBC studios.
Speaker 1: It is a sad Monday around the Star and Frisco.
Speaker 4: Josh Rodriguez there we go, not only upset after the forty four to nineteen loss to the New Orleans Saints, but he's doubly upset with the double box up top. Isaiah Standback is in the building. We got Josh Rodriguez, Patrick no C Walker currently doing his best Mario Kart impression.
Speaker 1: He is, I'd be be bopping down one twenty one.
Speaker 5: You up.
Speaker 1: I met him. So both Isaiah and Patrick got stuck in traffic this morning. And then that was a parking lot that wasn't track. Yeah, I don't know what that was.
Speaker 4: Whoever's on one twenty one today, be safe because apparently it isrough rough.
Speaker 1: There's Patty, Oh what's up? Patrick? Nice of you to join us. Bro The hill is well, and.
Speaker 4: We we thought it was just gonna be me and Josh starting the show, and Isaiah pops in as the opens happening, and so beamers in the back. He had a two box up, and then he flipped it to a three box, but the three box was the empty chair Josh and Isaiah, and then he put Josh in the infant three box.
Speaker 1: And then now we've got a four box ready to roll.
Speaker 3: And then we're back to when I when I saw opening listen at least being figured it out.
Speaker 1: He did. He made adjustments.
Speaker 6: Oh you know what you did there, He saw what was going wrong changed you know.
Speaker 7: I'm with you, Isaiah, though, because I chose to pull out the charge of the day and I went to Georgia so soon as the opportunity presented it.
Speaker 1: So you hit that thing. I put those those u GA skills to you, so well, you're you're I was Alvin Kamara out there. Your ability to hit the hole was a little bit better than what I was. Alvin Kamara out there, I was I was left. I was right.
Speaker 7: I was a gap b C. I was running it wide. I was you know, yeah, so you.
Speaker 1: Weren't in Ezekiel Elliott or Ricodu. I was Alvin Kamara. Yeah, otherwise I'd be later. Let's talk about it. Forty four to nineteen.
Speaker 4: The Saints dismantle the Dallas Cowboys in Week two at home. It was pretty reminiscent of one playoff lossless a year ago. It was almost carbon copy, except maybe worse in terms of the beat down. I know the playoff game feels worse because it was a playoff game and it was twenty seven to nothing. But when you give up thirty five points in the first half type for the most in franchise history.
Speaker 1: Ouch, it's not good, Joe. Ouch, it's not good. Big Ouch.
Speaker 6: No, it just like you said, it feels very reminiscent of the wild card week, even a wide open, tight end touchdown where we couldn't.
Speaker 1: Even didn't even see him.
Speaker 6: Granted they called back, but like just beat by beat, it felt just like that, the same feeling in the press box, the same sort of.
Speaker 1: Quiet, eerie, quiet.
Speaker 6: Calm to the press box and everyone is just sort of in shock of the performance that we're seeing in front of us, right, it is just uh, it was painful.
Speaker 1: But it is weak. Two.
Speaker 6: Although it looked like a playoff game, it is only week two.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: That's a great thing to remember in all of this is that it's one loss. It only counts for one. You don't get doubled up. You don't, you're not automatically one.
Speaker 1: And two.
Speaker 4: Now you can't allow the Saints to beat you twice because you've got a pretty good Ravens.
Speaker 1: Team coming to town this week.
Speaker 5: So angry one.
Speaker 4: Then you will be one into yeah, or they're gonna be one two yeah, yeah, yeah. So I think there's a there's a worry amongst Cowboys fans and Patt I'll get your insight because you were in the press box there as well. It feels like, oh no, here we go again. Did a performance like that warrant a reaction?
Speaker 7: I think the reaction is warranted. I don't think it's completely off base. And again it goes to what you what you're saying, Kyle in that this felt airily reminiscent of of January against the Green Bay Packers, and that's how it felt in the press box, as Josh can attest.
Speaker 1: It's you know, the offense.
Speaker 7: The opposing offense scores a touchdown on the first drive, then the second drive, then the third drive, and you're like, oh no, here we go again, and then the fourth drive and so forth and so on. Went on to score touchdowns on their first six.
Speaker 1: Offensive drives of the game. How many was that six?
Speaker 7: First first six, as in every single one, single one in like.
Speaker 1: Three points on a couple of those.
Speaker 7: Right goals, no, no, no, no touchdown toutties, tuddies on the first six possessions.
Speaker 1: The Cowboys defense scored six on first six. Yeah, you know, and it was interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there was a stat New Orleans had scored a touchdown on fifteen straight possessions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or scored I think it was just score scored on down touchdowns against Cowboys.
Speaker 4: They were able to do so on almost every possession against Carolina and then going back to last year as well.
Speaker 7: And it it was disheartening and disconcerting to see the Cowboys defense flying around like they did against the Cleveland Browns and all that talent that the Cleveland Browns have and then completely flipped to the other side of the coin and kind of revert back to what we saw against the Packers. Unable to stop the run, couldn't get takeaways. They finally worried able to get the takeaway allah Donovan Wilson's interception, but prior to that, they couldn't get off the field on third down. It was like doctor Strange had us trapped in January until we make a bargain with him.
Speaker 1: I mean, we were stuck in the time loop. Do we need to do something?
Speaker 7: Is that what we I mean, whatever it takes at this point we see And then the added problem was is that not dissimilar from January where the defense cannot get anything done for you? The offense they were making, they were getting drives, but they couldn't punch the ball in right. You were trading touchdowns for field goals, touchdowns for field goals, and when you do that, you're gonna get forty four nineteen, if not worse. And the Cowboys had opportunities to make plays. I mean, there was the miscommunication from Dak to CD Lamb. That could have been a touchdown. That's off the board, right, the potential walk in touchdown to the right side to Ezekiel Elliott Dack skips that ball that could help change momentum, so there were plays to be made out of It wasn't as bad as we think. It wasn't as bad, but it was still trash. I mean, let's let's let's call it what it was. That outing was a trash outing for the Cowboys now in all three phases because special team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Aubrey is Aubrey. Right.
Speaker 7: So when you said three phases, I'm thinking more so return game. That's return game d tribute either, like you know. And that's not a knock on Turpin because Turpin did help them with a couple of returns as far as field position. But credit to the Saints, they kept kicking it away from Turping on kickoff returns Yea and darreon Dwanye to do it. But it was one of the worst outings defensively that you will see. We still don't know what this team is under Zimmer. You have a phenomenal showing in Cleveland and then they went to bid at home. Here comes to Ragning in the NFL MVP.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. That's gonna be a tough one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I'm just I'm just looking over some notes and stuff, and one of the things kind of concerning.
Speaker 1: Dallas.
Speaker 3: Cowboys obviously didn't take care of business. That's there's no question there. But Al Kamara he's kind of a dude. He's kind of a dude, and they set him up to be a dude. And both the games now, including this most recent one where he had four plus touchdowns, this game he had four touchdowns. His other game where he had four plus touchdowns, I think it was a five touchdown outing. Both came against what coordinator.
Speaker 1: Zem interesting you said it.
Speaker 3: To your point, Josh, how you started to show off. No adjustments were made. Now, that's what was concerning to me.
Speaker 5: We knew.
Speaker 3: We sat here, We talked about it on this show, We talked about it on a special edition, we talked about it on pregame Live, we talked about it on everything, all the all the I'm sure.
Speaker 5: All the all the all the stories are written up.
Speaker 3: This team offensively was very dangerous if they were allot at time. That's what we sat here and said last week. Yeah, yeah, right, We said, if you don't get back, don't get pressure on him. He will dice you up because he has the weapons, he has the speed. If and what we all assumed if you're able to get back through and get some pressure on him, then he will throw some up to you. And they got to him one time and threw it up.
Speaker 1: Okay, you got an interception.
Speaker 5: Good job. Outside of that, there was no pressure. Outside of that, there was.
Speaker 3: No creat seemingly no creativity in terms of finding way to create pressure. This team was on their heels. Dallas Cowboys, that is, was on their heels the entire time. We knew there was gonna be misdirection, we knew there was gonna be pre snap motions, We knew that you all these guys did more than one thing. Okay, Alvin Kamara is a receiver and a running back. Taysom Hills a receiver, a running back, a quarterback, a full back, and a running you know, it's like he's everything. Okay, tight end. All these guys do versatile things. So you have to find a way to be aggressive early on because if you are on the receiving end, you're gonna receive the l And that's.
Speaker 1: Exactly what happened for me.
Speaker 7: It was also one of the more concerning things is and let's let's qualify it. It is week two. It is week two. It is not the playoffs yet. But here's why it's concerning for when the playoffs rolled around, because this is still a twelve win team for me. Four more losses to go. Okay, That's how I looked at it driving in today. I was like, Okay, got one out the way, four more losses to go, but it's still a twelve win team. That being said, we talked about it going into this season in that it's not the regular season we're too much concerned about. It's what happens in the postseason. And going up against Clint Kobak, you basically went up against Shanahan Junior. And if you struggle like that against Shanahan Junior at home, guess what awaits you after the bye and potentially, depending on seating, what might await you in January, which might be a rematch with Shanahan. And that's where it really kind of gets concerning for me because bringing in Mike Zimmer, making the changes, bringing in Eric Kendricks, adding lyn Val Joseph, adding Jordan Phillips, adding Carlos and all of these guys, you're supposed to be doing this with the idea of, hey, forty nine ers, we're building for you. Obviously we're biding to stop the Eagles, but on a bigger picture, will biard it, we're building to stop Kyle Shanahan. Finally get over that hump. Well, Shanahan Junior just took you to the woodshed. Yeah, did so what Shanahan gonna do?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: And Matt Lafleur and Met laflor and Seann mcvayh Yeah, that that's true.
Speaker 1: Tell me.
Speaker 4: I mean the whole tree has given you absolute issues. And I asked this question yesterday on Cowboys OT and when you go up against the Kyle Shanahan coaching tree, it's a similar system across the board, but each of those coaches has.
Speaker 1: Their own unique little twist to it.
Speaker 4: What was the twist from Clint qb act yesterday that kept Dallas completely off balance?
Speaker 3: I just think that the versatility of each player. I don't think that Dallas had a solid approach. I don't think they knew how to attack New Orleans and in their offense, I truly don't.
Speaker 4: I mean, what if I tell you this early in the season, for a coordinator that has had all off season and even beyond, it.
Speaker 3: Felt as if he was still trying to figure it out. That's what it felt like. I mean, obviously none of us know, right, but it felt as if in his body language and just watching him on the sideline, it looked like he was lost in terms. I'm talking about coach Zimmer, right, and I'm sure he will figure it out. I am almost positive he will figure it out. But this was my concern this offseason when we started talking about defensive coordinators. You guys remember a conversation we had we were start talking about Zimmer where he was talking about Rex Ryan, who can be the most creative because if teams could figure out what you do, can he adjust? He's been out the game for a minute, right, and he has a solid defense. When it works, it works, But when it doesn't work, can you adjust and are you as fluid enough to be to create different matchups and create different looks to throw off the defense, Because that's one thing that.
Speaker 5: I knew about Rex Ryan.
Speaker 3: I was like, Rex Ryan might get punched into the mouth defensively, but guess what, You're gonna see some craziness coming to the next series, you know what I'm saying. So like that was one of my concerns is can he adjust and adapt? As the game goes on, and this was our first opportunity to see that in the answer was no.
Speaker 7: Well, and I'll say this, and I'm curious what Josh thinks about this, the fact that Overshown came off of a maniac level game against the Cleveland Browns, finishes this game with only eighteen snaps. Now a lot of fans are wondering and they're asking, well, no, see, why did Overshown have only eighteen Well, it's because of the packages that the Cowboys are running.
Speaker 1: They ran mostly basic.
Speaker 7: And with that being said, if you go back to what Mike Zimmer said in his press conference on last week after the win against the Browns, oh, I think it was Mike McCarthy. It might have been Mike McCarthy who were talking about Overshown versus mayor Stleie. If I was McCarthy, because I asked him about Leofil and he said that he's trying to get Leo File involved more in the cell packages. Well, as it stands to Marvey on, Overshown is very involved in sub packages, not so much the base. You saw a lot of bass being run with Leophile in there. And this is not a knock to Leaphile as much as it is, it wasn't working. So where were the sub packages? So that's question one. Question two could be a spin off of question one, which would be why isn't Overshown involved more in the base packages? Because you needed that speed against Alvin Kamara. We talked about it on Friday, would say it with your chance? I said, I would spy Alvin Kamara with Jordan Lewis, and they didn't.
Speaker 1: Here we are. But Isaiah had.
Speaker 7: A feasible plan as well, which was okay, well, don't spy him. But Isaiah was under the premise that Overshown would play more and that speed would be out there. Well, neither of those things happened. So Overshown eighteen snaps.
Speaker 1: I don't get that.
Speaker 6: I don't understand why you're in base so much throughout the game. If their first drive was so was scripted, but it was effective, it was perfect, It was pitch perfect.
Speaker 1: We eight plays, eighty yards and it was just chunk, chunk, chunk, exactly.
Speaker 6: We just got knocked and we got hit in the face consecutively over eight plays. And the adjustments made after that where it's like, okay, let's still.
Speaker 1: Not involve to Marvin overshow.
Speaker 6: You know, it's like, all right, that's fine. You know, I didn't hear nobell that whole thing. You don't have de Marvin Overstone in there. That's a problem for me. And then on top of that, it's they stopped being creative. They stopped doing their motions that were obviously putting us on our heels, right that the moving the line and getting us out of position. But after that, in the second half, all they were doing were outside runs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, if you.
Speaker 6: Know what they're gonna do, how do you not fix it? You know, it's like, all right, you're not going to run this play anymore.
Speaker 3: We talked about that last week though we knew that they were going to go sideline A sideline, Yes, we talked about it. It's a sideline, a sign they want to get you moving side ways, right, and this and let's not just this is not all coach and Zimmer, right. I don't want to of course, this is not a bashing thing on Zimmer, but he did not adjust to call a spade a spade, right, And I'm sure he's sitting there.
Speaker 5: If you go back and look at some of the sideline footage.
Speaker 3: He looked like he was trying to figure out life, right, And I'm sure he's going to go back and watch the film a thousand times over and he'll have to make adjustments.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: The game is moving, this game is evolving. You have to move with the times, right, That's yeah. Structure and discipline is awesome, but you got to move with the times as it goes. But also, these players were not getting off blocks execution. These guys were not getting off blocks. And I don't know, and none of us sit at the table know what their gap assignments were any of that stuff, but we do know if somebody was responsible for them gaps, right, so, and guys were getting consumed by blocks and they were getting out.
Speaker 1: I don't even know the best of everything right outmanned.
Speaker 3: It was concerning to me the lack of h movement we had going on the line of scrimmage, and that goes across the board. I'm not going to single out certain individuals, but there are people that are lighter in the butt than they once were before. And once you engage with some of these linemen, there was no disengame, there was no shedding of blocks.
Speaker 4: I can put names I mean you saw Michael Parsons walled up multiple times by tight ends. Since when has Michael Parson's ever been susceptible to being.
Speaker 1: Blocked one on one with a tight end?
Speaker 5: Ever?
Speaker 1: Never? Never?
Speaker 4: How many times did you see Mazzi Smith on the ground? How many times did you see Jordan Phillips on the ground. I mean it was not all got pushed, Everyone got bullied. Everyone on the defensive line got bullied.
Speaker 1: We talked about this with Micah.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, yeah, but the one way we know how to beat Micah is to run directly at him, sure, and and to chip him, and to run straight at him because he doesn't know how to handle misdirection. And when you're you're coming towards him with several blockers and chipping him, he didn't like. There's just hard the size isn't there necessarily for him to make any run stops.
Speaker 7: But also in that and also it's it's the unpredictability of Clint Kubiak in that from the Shanahan Tree, it's they keep you so off balance and that's why you you have to.
Speaker 1: Get pressure on the quarterback.
Speaker 7: So our good friend Nicole Hutchinson, she was asking me after the game yesterday, she said, well against the Shanahan scheme, like, how do you stop the running back? Well, rather it be Christian McCaffrey ovin Kamari. You have to have someone assigned to them, right, whether it's a direct spy or you look at a guy like Overshown and say, okay, well keep hit. That's your assignment, right, Maybe not necessarily a spy, but keep an eye on him. But when you don't have that speed or that commitment to that person, now it's going to make it more difficult to allow pressure to get back there against the quarterback. And then you see a rock Perty or you see a Jordan Love, or you see a Derek Card dicing you up because they get to sit back there foul their nails before they run through their progressions. Now, there is one particular play which was evidence to just how off balance Kubiak had them at that point in the game. They had attacked the edges so effectively, and they had stretched the field so effectively with shahed and over the top and a lave shahiitschhahishah. Make you forget about a lave, forget about him, forget about him, and a lave right. Now the linebackers are stretched side to side, right, drop back, here comes Michael Parsons. Let him run free, because you know what we're gonna do. We're gonna dump it off right there in the middle. Now that the linebackers are playing side to side and they're playing these assignments right, drop it off to Alvin Kamara. He has a convoy. It's a fifty seven to sixty yard touch a s right. That is how off balanced they had the Cowboys yesterday on all three levels of defense.
Speaker 3: But even when coach Zimran, we broke this down after the game right and again game night. Okay, I see you guys, go back and watch that. I'm sure it's on YouTuber.
Speaker 1: Actually it is a really cool show. By the way, just sidebar game Night.
Speaker 4: We revamped it into a film study, so it's an immediate reaction and immediate film work, and it's on the night of the game every week.
Speaker 5: So just just don't check it out. Dallas Cowboys dot com go check it out.
Speaker 3: But we broke down one of the plays that actually the Rashid Shi heat play right where he ran the post route over the top the top right call right defensive call by Mike Zimmer.
Speaker 5: Terrible execution by the players.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, Malik Hooker stayed in his backpedal like he was shooting an Instagram.
Speaker 7: But something else happened on that play. Also, though, something else happened on that play. But I don't want to be that guy because it didn't It didn't matter.
Speaker 1: I'll be that guy. Michael Parsons got help.
Speaker 7: Michael Parsons got assaulted on that Yeah, that touchdown doesn't happen. However, it's also true that while the refs completely closed their eyes and were whistling Dixie while Michael Parsons was being assaulted on that play.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, it didn't matter anyway.
Speaker 4: Episode, even if it doesn't affect the second exactly exactly both things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are two different assignments, right, Obviously they collectively come together to for execution. But Michael Parsons, Okay, he got assaulted. Cool, hope you wish we could have got the call. Didn't get the call, but you don't rely on the call. Drive later anyway, He ran and dog on tap danced on the toes of Milie Hooker. Versus cover two two high safeties. Two safeties are responsible for staying back.
Speaker 1: Safety.
Speaker 3: Safety means you're the last man safe safety. There's two of them, right, Coach made sure. Coach called it to make sure that nobody got over the top. Well the backside safety. Okay, Donald was trying to go and make sure he took care to cross. It is a crossing route that was coming across the face, so okay, so Donald's responsible for that to check to make sure that's good. Uh Rashid Shaheed gets up on the toes. Malie Hooker nods him to the right. Milie Hooker opens his hips and to the rights, and then he literally just takes the backside post behind where Donovan Wilson was just at. Malie Hooker was supposed to be the furthest man back on defense, and he was not the furthest man back on defense. And if you have somebody who is literally three tenths of a second faster than you, you might want to get out of your back pedal as soon as they get about five yards away. Just say yeah, yep, she Heed is the fastest man on that field at that given time.
Speaker 5: Any questions there, Okay, he.
Speaker 1: Was looking to the sideline.
Speaker 4: I mean he was all sor turned around and by that point, Shaheed, all he had to do was just run the open space.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 4: And Derek Carr, I mean, give credit where credit. Derek Carr threw a phenomenal build, phenomenal, but we know he does it if he has time to throw.
Speaker 7: That's why you needed to delete the time. But it had to begin with deleting Alvin Kamara. You deleted Alvin Kamara, you would have deleted sixty percent of their offensive package and you would have forced the game on Derek Carr. Now, of course he still has shot, he still had a lave, he had those weapons. But by deleting Alvin Kamara, now you can shrink the field, you can shrink the width, and now you have to make him play within this pocket and you can make him uncomfortable. But man, Derek Carr was comfortable all game and as a result, the Cowboys defense was uncomfortable.
Speaker 5: Prist game.
Speaker 1: We were talking about it last week.
Speaker 4: Those weapons are legitimate, they are a threat, and we saw exactly how that was. I mean, I did a radio call in New Orleans on Friday. I did a radio call.
Speaker 1: With the enemy team now and.
Speaker 4: They were saying, what part of this team scares you the most, or worries you the going into this matchup. And I was like the offense, and they were like, wow, that's the first time I think we've ever heard that the offense is what scares us going into this matchup.
Speaker 1: Moth, do you even watch your own team? Right? I mean this team has weapons around them and they showed them all three state games in a row.
Speaker 5: Now for the New Orleans States, scoring over forty four points.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're legit. They're legit.
Speaker 4: Does it stop the fact that the Cowboys didn't play a good football who they.
Speaker 1: Did not play on either.
Speaker 5: Side of the ball.
Speaker 4: We've talked about the defense. When we come back, let's talk about the offensive side. What went wrong for Dak Prescott and company. The ground game non existent. I'm thinking I'm thinking about putting the milk carton net out for the run game, like the next couple of days.
Speaker 1: Let me know if that's a good idea or not. We'll be right back with more talking Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Right after this, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the back pack with the beef stew at and T fi G. Fast, reliable, secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 4: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee. Today, they say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agin Turf offers a winning lineup.
Speaker 10: Of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, cater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf the official Agonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Agonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 11: Life doesn't stop when the economy is uncertain. The market might not care you have a wedding to plan or a kid to put through school, and inflation doesn't know you've got a family to feed. But Bank of America does and is here to help. With digital tools to help you save and local experts nearby, you can keep life moving forward the way you need it to. Bank of America. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankofamerica dot com Bank of America NA Member. After I see equal Credit Opportunity lender.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Back here on Talking Cowboys as we review the forty four to nineteen loss to the New Orleans Saints. This portion of Talking Cowboys is brought to you by a Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboy Quaker Oats, trusted since eighteen seventy seven.
Speaker 1: Dag nabbit, what.
Speaker 5: One messed up my ability to get my ot.
Speaker 1: Get your oats in this morning? Yeah? I was right there. It was probably like something.
Speaker 5: It's so angry right now.
Speaker 1: That was the one pushback on on the Cowboys loss. You were like, at least I still get my oats in the morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even listen, I mean, I know we're up here, mad mad sad, sad mad about the Dallas Cowboys, and we can say it's week two, but give respect, give respect to the New Orleans Saints. Give respect you to the New Orleans Saints. They are who we chose to think that they weren't. They are, they're they're legitimate competitor of these guys. They heard the Seriously, their offense is legit. What they put on film last week is legit. It wasn't because of who they were playing, So don't want to make it. There's no excuses here, No excuses are being made. There's accountability being had, there's no fingers being pointed.
Speaker 5: This is just being real.
Speaker 3: The Dallas Cowboys were not ready to meet the match that was set forth before them. That Saints are real and you have to put some respect on it. So all that, all that, uh that nation. I ain't gonna say the whole day, but y'all respect You guys have a good team, and you know, I never know, I might see you guys again.
Speaker 1: Might might, just just might. Yeah, they've never met in the playoffs before.
Speaker 4: It's the only NFC team the Cowboys have never met in the playoffs.
Speaker 7: Be fun, And then it looks like if I want to see the playoffs right now, I mean a couple of weeks, no, man, like I mean, it would be fun though, because if if the Eagles take this division. And I say that because it's it's damn near impossible to win this division two years in a row, right, and Cowboys won it last year. So let's say the Eagles take this division. Cowboys are obviously still in the playoffs because I think they're twelve one team, and like you said, cow maybe the Saints running away with the NFC South and it could be a situation where Cowboys now have to repay the favor at Mercedes. Yeah, Caesar's super now, Oh Caesar, it's news, right, now, by the way, for before nineteen was a score of Gomi, so a sad score at Gomi in the NFL. I was almost right on my score, but I chose me too, Me too, me too, Bro, we chose the wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And for everybody out there that that tweeted or do you call it tweeter extend?
Speaker 7: What do you call it posted tweets?
Speaker 1: Some say ex everybody who exed us?
Speaker 3: Okay, listen, my my My predictions were based upon the fact that Dallas was gonna be able to get pressure, and that was the biggest letdown for me because without pressure, you didn't stand a chance against these guys.
Speaker 5: You don't have the.
Speaker 1: Speed non existent. You don't have to speed as fast as your defense is.
Speaker 5: You don't have to speed the best of those guys.
Speaker 3: So going back and looking at the looking at some of the film, I was highly disappointed in our inability to to get pressure on Derek Carr and a comfortable Derek Carr with fast, versatile weapons, it's dangerous.
Speaker 5: It is dangerous, man, when you can go out there.
Speaker 3: And that's one thing as we go to the offensive side that Dallas has to figure out because offensively for the new Orleans Saints. What do you have to worry about? I have to worry about Alvin Kamara. I have to worry about Rashishi. He'd have to worry about Chris Olive. I have to worry about Taysom Hill m h. I have to worry about all those guys, the Dallas Cowboys. You have to worry about Cede Lamb and Ferguson. That's about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's all you're afraid of. That's what the conversation stops.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, Like I'm not saying that other guys are not capable of executing and making plays Cooks, but you're not there, Yeah, but you're not yet by.
Speaker 1: These guys who was there last week? Yeah for a touchdown. Yeah, he's a good player, but.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you could be if he was utilized that way.
Speaker 3: But to date, they had not utilized Cooks in a way in which you should be fearful of him and what he can do to you.
Speaker 5: Fully capable, yes, fully cable has not been placed in that position.
Speaker 3: So I say all that to say Dallas has to get more creative offensively, and I'm not sure as we turn to this running game, I'm not sure that we have the threats and this was a concern, right, You have a duce Vaughan that is change of pace back. But you can't just insert a duce Vaughan early on, give him five carries in the same type of scheme and think that he's going to have more success just because he possesses a different type of capability. You have to put him in a position to be successful. Get him on the move, get him out in space, put him in the slot. We saw it in training camp, all those type of things, and maybe those things are coming because they're in the bag, right, But in terms of inserting him in and expecting different results, that's not creativity to me.
Speaker 4: Well, in for New Orleans specifically, I mean this is a team that had trouble or the key to slowing down New Orleans was getting pressure on Derek Carr. Correct The offensive line didn't do any favors to Dallas yesterday. The Cowboys offensive line did not block up for the running backs that they did not block up well and hold a pocket for Dak Prescott. They didn't have a ton of time to work and trying to get those guys involved.
Speaker 1: I think you're right.
Speaker 4: I think if you're scared of Ceedee Lamb, you're scared of the vertical ability.
Speaker 1: Right now of Jake Ferguson.
Speaker 4: Brandon Cooks as a player is capable of being scary. Yes where he is right now in the Mike McCarthy play called system scary, It's not scary.
Speaker 1: He is utilized in the red zone. Great. He had the big touchdown last week. That's awesome. He beat his man. The scheme worked out perfectly.
Speaker 4: Cleveland had no answer for Dak threw it up and he's there touchdown. That's all that I've seen from Brandon Cooks to this point that utilized him in a way that's efficient. I want to see more.
Speaker 7: It's fair and my prediction yesterday forty four to twenty, but in favor of the Cowboys was not only predicated upon their me hoping that they got pressure on Derek Carr. It was also predicated to pun this offense finding its way at home where they usually find their way. Okay, and unfortunately they couldn't do it. It was a lack of miscommunication, lack of execution, and untimely penalties. So here this is straight from my notes right So, opening Cowboys drive Saints march march down the field with their scripted plays. So they get seven. It's seven zero, Okay, close game, no worries. Cowboys are marching down the field. You're like, okay, they're about to handle this holding penalty on Tyler Guidon stalled the drive that created a thirty and eighteen situation. Cowboys ended up in a fourth and nine that became a fifty two yard field goal for Brandon Aubrey. Okay, well, second Cowboys drive right. So now Saints marchdown and it's fourteen to three. Cowboys are on the move. Okay, Cowboys can shrink this lead a little bit. And what happens third and ten. Dak Prescott gets sacked because Terrence Steele blows the coverage on the right hand side. That turned into a fourth and fifteen, which was a thirty eight yard field goal by Brandon Aubrey. Okay, Saints, they get the ball backhand. Guess what they do? They go down and score again. Now it's twenty eight thirteen. Okay, still a close game, Cowboys. They're moving the ball right. Let's see third and ten, doctor Cooks, that was good when the eleven yard game first and ten, Jalen Brooks stumbles and falls on the route interception, all right, and it kind of went from there. So whether it be miscommunications because obviously after that you had the miscommunication to CD downfield, it could have been a touchdown. This game was still close, right, so they had chances while the defense was wildly unable to stop this Saints offense. Your offense could have matched serve with every single mistake that the defense did. But instead, after long drives, it was either a penalty that started it was a miscommunication downfield, It was a skip passed to Ezekiel Elliott in the flat that could have been a walk in touchdown. It was a sack out by Terrence Steele that killed the drive, holding holding calls. So it was a culmination of lack of execution, lack of discipline, and and just not being on the same page. And that's where the concern for me comes because if if you had some one of the.
Speaker 1: Three touchdowns in the first eight quarters to start the season, yep, two through the one on the ground, is that bad?
Speaker 7: Seems bad, that's bad, that's bad bad, and it's I think just just double check.
Speaker 6: It exacerbated by the fact that whenever we were talking about it last week, I thought my key to victory or the key matchup for me was the offense, our offensive line versus their defensive line and.
Speaker 7: Really quickly before you continue. And Marshaun Lattimore was out of the game that as well.
Speaker 6: But we couldn't get any traction running the ball like at all, There's no there was no juice there. The fact that you start without Zeke was surprising to me, like you're starting with Rico and you're starting with.
Speaker 7: Deuce that and it did surprised me because I told you guys in Science Lab ahead of the season that this is what the RB one situation looks like. If Zeke starts one game, Rico starts the next game, and the alternate Deduce will get more and then Hunter eventually we'll get to that.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, what are you seeing out of then? What are you seeing out of Rico?
Speaker 7: Rico had some good bursts on those first on those first couple of drives, he looked good.
Speaker 1: He looked good. Now now as the game war.
Speaker 4: Relative to Zeke made but I don't think this running back room has it all along I'm.
Speaker 7: Talking about to begin the game, because his question he's quantifying it as the beginning, like why was Rico over Zeke simply because they want to mix it up based on the opponent. I don't have a problem with that. I'm with Ia on that one.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 7: I will say after the first three or four handoffs, it started to slow a bit, and then the game just became one dimensional at that point.
Speaker 1: And then what do you want from your running game?
Speaker 7: When you're losing two positions, three positions and the game starts to wear roll and you have to drop back and pass, and they know you have to drop back in pass.
Speaker 6: It's the It's no threat of play action, it's no threat of the draw play.
Speaker 1: There is zero threat when it comes to the running game.
Speaker 6: Which is why I'm saying, why if we're not seeing it from Rico, why is he in the game if we're not seeing it from Deuce? You know, granted, he had all of five carries yesterday and it wasn't They weren't great, and they weren't blocked.
Speaker 5: He has some it was a cloud of dust, but.
Speaker 1: He has reception.
Speaker 3: I mean, his runs should have been major negative losses and he was able to squiggle his way up.
Speaker 1: Offensive line is not the offensive line did not played poorly to begin the game.
Speaker 3: Zeke and Rico are one and the same right now, except for Ricos more explosive.
Speaker 5: That's why. That's how, that's how it would compare those two.
Speaker 3: I think that Zeke doesn't provide anything on the ground that anybody else in your backfield would would not be able.
Speaker 6: To provide play down the field. Though when when that kind of.
Speaker 7: Agreed, I think he had had that understanding of that, But he also that's your short yardage guy.
Speaker 1: That's I don't feel as if Zeke.
Speaker 3: This is no disrespect to Zeke, right, there's none. I'm just being real. I said this when he first came back. I don't think he physically has it anymore. I think he can block, and I think he can he can run the ball. He can do those things. But him handing the Zeke the ball is saying this is the blocking scheme, and Hanna Rico the ball, I'm saying, this is the blocking scheame. You're gonna get sim the results. The separate Ricos is going to do it faster. Yeah, right, and then Deuce. Deuce is their only cat who's shifty, Like, did you see Zeke in open space on a one on one is like a twenty minute.
Speaker 5: Shake move on.
Speaker 4: Rico wasn't much better either. I meane times there were multiple times between Rico was outside, he was in space, he was one on one with a tackler. And I'm not comparing the two just but whenever you look on the opposite side and you have Alvin.
Speaker 1: Kamara and Alvin Kamara doing what.
Speaker 4: He's doing different, that's different, completely, completely different planet. Because he's one of the best in the NFL. But if it's one on one in space with Alvin Kamara, you're not taking him down. I had zero faith, not even partial faith, zero faith that either Ezekiel.
Speaker 1: Elliott or Rico Dada was going to get out of one on ones in space. And guess what happened. They were taken to the ground. No extra yardists, They're not even falling forward. There's no juice in the game. I want to go outside and get somebody right or get on the phone. Let's figure before you do that. It's week three.
Speaker 7: We talked about it last week and I was asked if it was it time for Devin cooking we too, and I was like no, because he needed to ramp up week three.
Speaker 1: It might be time to see and you will see Dalvin.
Speaker 5: Dalvin will come.
Speaker 1: Up this week, but it's time to see and you.
Speaker 3: Will see Dalvin Cook again. But again it's not so many position that has.
Speaker 7: Don't go out. What I'm saying is see what first fine and then make you.
Speaker 1: And you're going to see that.
Speaker 3: I almost guarantee Dalvin Cook would get moved up this week and see what he has. But again, it's not solely the running back position. All we're highlighting is that those both majority of the running backs in the stable right now don't possess the ability to create. And that was my concern going into this, like they don't create, and you're you're not threatening.
Speaker 5: You don't have Zeke Rico, You're not.
Speaker 3: They're not going to run over anybody and keep moving right with the team are about the face.
Speaker 1: They have a guy that does that. Okay, the team are about the face.
Speaker 3: When they have a guy on Space Hall, he does this thing in terms of being shifty, right, so you have a one to two punch in terms of abilities. Dallas doesn't have that right now, and that was a concern with this running back room.
Speaker 1: And yes, you have to block, yeah, you have to block.
Speaker 3: But right now with the stables that they currently have, if the blocking scheme isn't perfect, you're not going far.
Speaker 4: No, no, And it wasn't perfect at all upfront for the Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Lots to talk about on both sides of the football. When we come back, we are going to.
Speaker 4: Take a quick peek ahead to the Ravens because this is yeah, we need to sure because you got to learn from this. You got to learn from the offense and the defensive side, and whether it's going out and making adjustments from a roster building standpoint or making adjustments in house, you got to make a change because forty four nineteen is not good enough and we're going to have another team coming in that's hungry in week three when.
Speaker 1: We come back with more talking Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big cat repellent he bought online was reliable. And now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five g. It is fast, reliable, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew at and t FI G Fast Reliable Secure.
Speaker 9: Five G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area. See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 4: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy whipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 12: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller, would you there?
Speaker 3: Doctor?
Speaker 1: My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 10: But what's the right gift that says thanks for beinging a souldier.
Speaker 2: To cry out?
Speaker 12: Okay, this one's he I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now, just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 4: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you.
Speaker 1: Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 4: Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee. Today to Talking Cowboys, this segment is brought to you buy and Visiline, the official smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Welcome back in Talking Cowboys with Patrick Noci Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah stand back, I'm Kyle Yeomans with Chrispy Isaiah.
Speaker 1: It's because you have all the ideas.
Speaker 3: I don't have many ideas right now. I just have problems that need to be addressed.
Speaker 1: And I don't want to sound on alarm.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is this is this is not an alarm sounding situation.
Speaker 5: But I was more.
Speaker 3: You know what, you know what what made me uneasy? You know, we talked about bubble guts on the show a lot over the bed recent years. This is the first bubble guts, the first bubble gus. Absolutely I got the bubble gus because if something's going wrong offensively, you look at your quarterback and then you look at your O C. And you see their responses. Right, I'm looking at their body. That's why body language is so important for positions of power in the game of football and sports in general.
Speaker 5: Right, you got to look at your leader.
Speaker 1: With your picture in baseball? Does he look nervous?
Speaker 5: Does he does?
Speaker 1: He does?
Speaker 3: He just look frustrated like whatever it is. When they were showing coach Zimmer on the sideline, did you guys see he.
Speaker 1: Looked like I wasn't watching the broadcast.
Speaker 3: It was like they're listening right now. He was biting his nails and he was looking like, I don't know what you know? Unselling, like not the like Talladega Knights, not the op High bro. It was Talladega Knights. I don't know doing my hands. And that was that was concerning to me because to me, perception wise, and I could be wrong, right, but just I'm a viewer, to me, it looked like I don't know what to do, Like I like, you know what I'm saying, Like that was that was what I had here.
Speaker 5: You go, Okay, this is bad.
Speaker 1: Crap.
Speaker 5: I don't know what to do.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 5: It was the It was the most I don't even know.
Speaker 3: Disconcerting thing to me because it looked like there was nothing else that he can go back and grab, like there was no other bag to go get out of ideas.
Speaker 7: I think it was largely because and there was there were plays that in that scheme that he definitely wants back. My my biggest knock against the scheme because as much as I praised it against the Browns in rightfully so, my biggest knock in a loss like this is the decision of how often they ran base versus the sub packages that would keep the marveyond overshowing off the field that I keep coming back to that. But then as kind of a dovetail to that most players did not execute well. So if you're Mike Zimmer and you're having a combination of well, you're not making the best decisions because you should run more sub and get Mary on overshow on the field, but also the plays that you are calling well that should have worked, the execution is lacking. So then, like Isaiah said, you get the Oppenheimer gift. Well, he says, like, I don't know what to do next, because that was a perfect play call. It should have worked well, it didn't work because gap integrity wasn't sound. It didn't work because this player or that place player missed their key right. So in that aspect, you're just getting Michelle for the rest of the game.
Speaker 1: You're just getting mielled well. And that's the thing.
Speaker 4: Execution, alignment, assignment, all of those things were not there yesterday. They were not there in the loss against New Orleans. And I think there are times where your execution can help save a bad play call. But there are times where your execution can make a good play call go to the side. I want to ask this question real quick. We did get an x A tweet from Brian. He said, does a loss like this defensively cause the defense to lose faith in the scheme and a play.
Speaker 1: Caller, or is it too early for that to be the case.
Speaker 5: Too early?
Speaker 3: But there is a question mark, just like the Mario box, like like what you got fireflower?
Speaker 5: I don't know yet, but you.
Speaker 1: Guys were playing earlier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a box. It's over your head. It's over your head because not now you're you're you're concerned. I'm still listening to you, coach, but I got coach, I got questions right.
Speaker 5: And if we go in here this weekend, Dereck Henry runs for one to twenty on us.
Speaker 1: Here we go, Yeah, I think it there, It is there. It is the coin.
Speaker 7: I mean, you go, Okay, I get overreactions. But it's too soon. It's week too Yes, it's week two. It's week two. If this were to happen again, not only next week, but forty nine ers right, because you have to circle that. If it happens against the Philadelphia Eagles Detroit Detroit, then okay, that question mark becomes larger and larger. But again, it's week two and Mike Zimmer has split the difference so far. Set a sensational called a sensational game and his players execute it to a sensational level against the Browns on the road, against the very talented a Marty Cooper led passing attack, and then it went to bed the following week. Yep, which version of those two things is actually the Mike Zimmer defense in Dallas. We won't know for the next several weeks. And that's why we're saying it's too early.
Speaker 6: You can't let this performance on the defensive side of the football happen again. You cannot know you can and if you want to go anywhere in the postseason, this cannot happen a single time and at home, don't I mean, or just don't expect anything out of the postseason if you see a performance like this on the defensive side of the ball one more time.
Speaker 3: But is it concerning to you that qu At had a relationship and knew what Zimmer does and was able to expose that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was their quarterback coach for Zimmer in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, is.
Speaker 3: That concern is because this was a scheme as much as it was a player thing. This was OC versus DC. Sure, Yeah, it was probably why there was good news is good.
Speaker 7: The good news is is that you know they're not twenty nine other head coaches from the Shanahan tree, right, so yet not yet that's the good news. So again, this is a twelve win team for more losses to come, don't know where they come from. That being said, in order to hit the next level, in order to not only get to the postseason, but get to the conference game, to get to the super Bowl, you're going to have to beat a Shanahan offense. It might be Kyle himself, it might be Lafleur, it might be Kubiak. Again, you're going to have to beat it. So that's where the can certain comes in.
Speaker 5: Gotta figure it out.
Speaker 3: So I know, we gotta get off the air going into next week's game, right, I know we're gonna start previewing that here soon. But what is the one thing that you're most concerned about? I feel as if needs to be addressed before next week's game. From Cowboys Cowboys, no matter what side, what third of the game, or coaching or whatever.
Speaker 1: M there's a lot of things.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 6: I know, being physical on the defensive line, and you got to win the trenches, getting front.
Speaker 7: Seven front seven front on what side of the ball defense defense, Front seven. Same, you gotta you can't get out physical like that on your front four, and then your linebackers you they have to execute better.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 7: And I'd love the accountability that Eric Kendricks took yesterday and he was like, you know one thing about Ava Kamaris. He will show you a front fit, then go to the back, and he'll show you a backfit.
Speaker 1: Then he'ld go to the front quick. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So Kendrick struggled after a maniac game again, but again, also help your linebackers out by putting one of the more talented ones out there more often in the Overshow thank you?
Speaker 1: So front seven, So front seven for you?
Speaker 5: What you say?
Speaker 1: Same? Same?
Speaker 6: Getting pressure with the defensive line that that's my biggest key right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say defensive tackle gap assignment because there are a lot of times when you go back and look at the film, guys that were supposed to be taking on multiple gaps or at least it looked like that. Yeah, we're getting washed out by one guy, single team, and then it floods your linebackers and they have nowhere to go. So I'm gonna say defensive tackles. You got to be way better, way better up front. I'm gonna say offensive creativity. Okay, I don't disagree with y'all.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying that, if, for whatever reason, you find yourself in a game where your defense can't stop offense, you have to be able to match. And right now, Dallas's offense is not matching.
Speaker 5: Not yet now.
Speaker 4: Yet forty four to nineteen final score. Cowboys fall to New Orleans at home. They've got a Week three matchup looming with the two Baltimore Raves there what two?
Speaker 5: What happens VP?
Speaker 1: They've got a lot of questions in Baltimore two, just just as many questions as if Dallas goes one in You.
Speaker 3: Know what your playoff ouze change to exactly how important this is a game for them?
Speaker 1: Very extremely got just wondering. We'll take your calls tomorrow.
Speaker 4: We've got talking Tuesday eight eight eight eight five five two two ninety seven. Write it down right now so you can be a part of our talking Tuesday eight eight eight eight five five two two nine seven. Isaiah stand Back will be on the NFL network.
Speaker 1: He'll be on Good Morning.
Speaker 4: Football tomorrow Wednesday too, right right, so tomorrow and Wednesday he'll be on the NFL Network and we'll catch back up with him on Thursday.
Speaker 1: That doesn't for us today. Thanks for listening. For Chris Beam, for Patrick No C.
Speaker 4: Walker, for Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah stand Back. I'm Kyle Yeoman saying so long from the Star on Firstco. We'll see you tomorrow with more Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.