Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys Let's go. Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Are you ready for a break?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Ready for a break? Yeah, and so much for that.
Speaker 6: It's time for the Break on Dallas Cowboys dot Com with Ambar Garcia, Brian brought Us, Nick Harris, and Derek Eagleton.
Speaker 4: It is Wednesday, March twelfth, twenty twenty five, Season twenty one, Episode number one. Welcome to the latest edition of Rayquilacnest Studios. Wow at the Star.
Speaker 2: First day of the new league year.
Speaker 4: It is the first of the league maybe new year, everybody, man, not a surprise they won.
Speaker 7: I just I don't know. It's just always funny how we do episode numbers is what do.
Speaker 2: We end up with?
Speaker 4: By the way, we ended up with one hundred and five. You good, one hundred and five, a little less than we did last year. So we have to talk about that.
Speaker 7: These guys have disappear.
Speaker 4: I want to say, we did like one seventeen last year, So we got to ask their conversations about that. See how we can get that back up. I'm sure the listeners out there like yeah, I know it's been a problem. So we'll figure.
Speaker 2: Out other podcast you can look at to stop it.
Speaker 4: We're not going to promote all your other podcasts, twenty.
Speaker 2: Of them, The Draft Show, the Draft Show, yeah, Drash Show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could definitely go check out the Draft.
Speaker 2: Botch and I have a show together. You can do that too, I'll.
Speaker 4: Do Okay, okay, free agency. We'll talk free agency. I do want to first start. I want to get just in a general just your general thoughts on free agency. I'm not talking about even the Cowboys specifically, just the first couple of days of free agency across the NFL. Anything pop out to you, anything interesting to you worth noting.
Speaker 8: You said across the NFL CROs the.
Speaker 4: NFL just in a free agency this year, the tone of it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think you look at the Niners and then them kind of blowing up that roster in a way, I think that's I think that's a fascinating, you know, situation that's happened there Philadelphia. Yeah, they've lost some guys too, but at San Francisco really looks like they are just getting ready to pay this quarterback and they're getting rid of all the extra pieces that they don't feel like they'll need so, I mean, whether it's letting Joey or not Joey Bosa, letting Kyle Yustchuk go, who's a guy who's been one of their culture blocker room leaders for a long time, or trading Deebo Samuel or letting Sharvarius Ward or Talifo Haufanga go. I mean players, Yeah, a lot of talented players on both sides of the ball. San Francisco has gone from man, they're gonna have a luxury to pick whoever they want at eleven too, man, they might need to pick for need at eleven. So yeah, that's been the thing that probably stod outs to me the most. I don't think there's anything too surprising about, you know, certain free agents landing with certain teams. It really doesn't matter until the preseason or season comes around and then you can kind of evaluate it. I think DeVante Adams so the RAMS is fun, But aside from that, I don't I don't really buy into the man, this free agent's gonna help them win the Super Bowl ordeal until until.
Speaker 8: We get to the season.
Speaker 2: I hate free agency.
Speaker 8: Is it because you're here?
Speaker 2: No, it's because he's a draft guy. I hate, I hate, no, I hate what they they've done with it. When when I was in Pro personnel, there was Derek said, Episode one. Today was a day we started free agency. It was the first day of the league year. I hate this tampering period. I hate this because to me, like I said, we used to meet, we put a board together, you know, we would talk about what players we were going after, and then when it was twelve oh one, you went and did free agency. Now it's like three days and then, you know, it really takes kind of the luster away from it. From a standpoint of covering it, you know, I like the build up, like the day of when free agent, when when the league years started and you're able to Boom and Jacksonville and the Rams and you know, everybody was doing stuff. And now it's kind of like anti climactic the way that this thing is rolling along. I mean, you're now you're kind of into like tier four, Tier five of players maybe five and six, whereas before, uh and it sounds very back of the day to me. But I hate it. I hate the fact that they have this tampering period. The tampering period was going to the combine and walking around and then tampering with guys, and then when the season of the season, the new season opened, then you heard all these names. I just I just don't like the build up. I don't I don't like the fact that it there's that tampering period before. I think it just takes away from how much I really really did enjoy it one time.
Speaker 7: Pre agency to me, this year has been completely different in my experience because and this is all personal, but I personally, for personal reasons, have stopped using Twitter or x so a lot of the toxicity and just crazy things that because it happens a lot where fans start creating this content that is not real and just you know, a lot of fake news things that fans create on their own, and a lot of criticism. So I haven't been consuming some of that, most of that. It's not part of my life right now. So it's just been an easy unless something drastic happens, something crazy, because a lot of the things that currently happen during the stage is fans start comparing what the Cowboys are doing not doing, versus what other teams have been doing or have done in the previous years. So that just taking in I think in comparison to previous years too, I feel like the we've been a little busier this year when it comes to those external signings as far as the timeline usually takes the Cowboys a couple of days, and then we started hearing of those external signings, but now before the official date, which is today, we started hearing yesterday the day before, which doesn't tend to occur because I have to create those graphics and put things together, put it out. So I think the difference there I've noticed from the Cowboys aspect is even though these have not been groundbreaking signings, they're still making moves a lot earlier than what they're used to.
Speaker 4: That is true. I think typically we've all gotten accustomed to that first week, those first few days of trip free agency, the Cowboys really not being a part of that unless they're signing their own guys. They do have several signings that they've made this week, again not groundbreaking by any means, and I think we talked about this on our last show. I don't think any of us had the expectation the Cowboys are going to be out there just throwing money around in free agency. The expectation was that maybe they get a couple guys here and there that they thought maybe could help them and fill spots. And it sounds like maybe we're going to get into some scattering reports here later in the show, but it sounds like maybe they may have gotten some guys who can be depth pieces. The way I look at this is maybe they're restoring some of what they lost last year when it came to depth. I don't know that they brought in any guys you expect immediately are going to step in and be great players for you, but maybe some of that depth you lost last offseason is going to be restored a bit, and then maybe you can use through the draft you can kind of fix some of this as well. Let's talk about the Cowboys list of free agents. Some of the guys that they've re signed to this point, They've they've resigned Olso Diggi Zua, who we talked about last week. Cavante Turpin just happened yesterday. That was I think another important signing for them. They also had signed brock Hoffman, Jane Thomas, she did good when Brian Anger happens yesterday, Trent Sieve, Marquise Bell, Tyros Sweet again, a lot of players that are that are really more depth players not really thinking about starters. Other than Osa and Cavante are more the starter types. That being said, look at the other side of the special team group, right, the whole special teams group is back, which you know. Actually I'll ask that question because I was I thought they would probably try to get Trent Seeg back, because when you have a good long snapper, you just try to keep him in place. It's no reason to go and try to find it.
Speaker 2: It starts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But my question is Brian Anger, and I don't know what your thoughts are, but tell me what you thought of his play this last year relative to how he's played in years past, and whether you thought this was a good signing for the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Any thoughts on punters.
Speaker 9: I you know, I think there was a little bit of a regress. Yeah, I don't think it's a huge ordeal. Yes, he's thirty six, and yes you have him for two more years. He's going to be thirty eight by the time he walks out that door. But I think keeping consistency for Brandon Aubrey is probably the most important thing here, and he's the holder for He's the only NFL holder that Brandon Aubrey has known. I think that's more important than the quote unquote regress that he had last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you only notice it when you're really bad on offense. Then you notice that, like, okay, why is why are teams feel positioned much better? And there was a time when you can really count on Brian Anger. It would be backed up and then he'd done cork a fifty four yard punt with you know, towards the sidelines and you know, and then there would be no return and now you flip the field a little bit in your direction. We saw that far less from him last year on that it was not not as many of those punts where you're like, okay, he clearly changed the direction of where this team is about to start their drive. So you know, it's something you really like. I say, you notice it when teams field positioned after a punt. And you also notice it though when also then the returners are bringing the ball back on you. You know that maybe that there's some short punts they're able to field them. He's done a really good job in his career with the cow Boys of being a directional punter. And I think that that's something that I'll always appreciate about with his game. But you know, it's something that I didn't see as much last year where he was on cork and those those punts that kind of flipped fields.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I understand why you post a question, Derek, But just like that, Yeah, he had some hiccups, but overall not enough for you to not want to bring him back. And just like Nick mentioned the importance he brings to Brian Brandon, Aubrey and Aubrey, he in an interview that he did, he voiced that opinion where he would want both him and uh see Trent Seek. I can never say his last name, but Trent. He would want both of them to come back. And it is important to and when you see what these guys are doing, I mean, the chemistry between those three guys and Aubrey and Anger is just something that you you don't want to break. It keeps out continuity. I can't even say continuity whatever. Yeah, he just stays the same and it's good. And I think also when you see those hiccups with a new coach, I think the coach is always a believer that they can change any improved player, So I think that's the idea behind that as well.
Speaker 4: Okay, so looking at the two, I think the most important signings that the Cowboys have had of keeping their own guys Osa and Interpin. Which do you think was a more important deal to get done for this team?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 9: So for sure bringing him back and having that pass rush come out of the interior, especially with a defensive line coach like Aaron Whitecotton who has maximized interior pass rush throughout his time with the New York Jets. So when you combine that with what Matt E Reflus is trying to do with that three tech spot, how he has done that with the entirety of his career. Bringing Osa back and getting him back on that team friendly deal certainly helps out. I think more in Turpin helps out, But I think you know his offensive output is going to be limited even if you do, even if you do put an emphasis on getting him more involved. How valuable is a returner at the end of the day. And I'm not trying to speak down on Cavante Turpin. He's the best returner in the game, and I think it's value to bring him back as the Commanders. Yeah, for sure, one hundred percent, But how valuable really is is a returner at the end of the day.
Speaker 8: I just don't see it as much as a three tech for sure.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I think there's a couple of different ways. And I've been very very critical of this front office for some of the signings that they've had or lack of, and I'll give him credit for this one. They did a great job of working with this agent and getting osa done for under if you follow along where the money went for twenty million dollars a year, and then you have other defensive tackles signing for twenty six twenty seven million dollars. What it effectively did by getting this deal done, you got a player back that really really helped you last year, one of the better defensive players you had him and Jordan Lewis. But it also allows you to go out and sign two guys. You were able to sign Solomon Thomas and you're able to to sign Peyton Turner as well with the money that you saved there. So you basically got three players for the price of what you probably were going to have to pay. Oh so Diggy Zua, So you know, good for them getting that done. On that end, I'll say this about Turpin. You don't sign him just to be a returner. Here. This is now eleven personnel stuff. He is going to be a part of that. He's you know, whether you liked it or not, he showed up. There were times when you know he was. They put him in the backfield and handed him the ball and there was explosive plays, you know, and you could steal with the pop passes, the jet sweeps, the screens and stuff. This guy's going to be your third wide receiver. He's going to be an eleven personnel. He's not going to be just a returner anymore. I think this coaching staff is going to use him in that way. So I don't look at him as just that returner. But I like what the Cowboys did by getting Osa done because I think it also afforded him a couple of other players along the way.
Speaker 7: See with my answer, it's kind of weird the way I'm going to But for me, Osa has a higher ceiling. Like I feel like with Osa, I still have a lot more to see. I think he can do a lot more that's more impactful, especially on defense. And that's not to say Cavante doesn't have a lot more that he can bring to the table. In fact, I do think he does, but based on the previous coaching staff and the opportunities that he has been given, I think that it never quite fully works out. And I'm saying in the way for you to maximize his potential. Now you have a completely different coaching staff at the moment, so maybe there's a change in that where we can see him progress in other areas, just like Brian mentioned, but based on previous years, I think right now, I feel that Osa has a lot more to give in a more impactful way when on the defensive side.
Speaker 4: All right, let's take our first break. When we come back, I want to talk about some of the players that Dallas has lost from their previous from their twenty twenty four roster, and them some of those players may have on this upcoming season. We'll talk about when we come back. This is Dallascowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has at and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew.
Speaker 2: At and T five G.
Speaker 10: Fast, reliable, Secure five.
Speaker 11: G requires compatable plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 4: See add dot com slash five G for you fifty deals.
Speaker 12: It's the official min's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 3: Don't put off getting your oil change Dallas take five oil Change. A proud partner of the Cowboys is faster than you think they're.
Speaker 4: So fast you don't even have to get out of your car.
Speaker 3: You can take advantage of Take fives stay in your car ten minute oil change at any of their locations across the Dallas area, and remember at take five you stay in your car because they're faster than you think. That means you won't even have time to show off your best touchdown celebration. Take five the official oil change of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: From the field to the festivities.
Speaker 13: Lu Casey embodies the essence of luxury and tradition. Handcrafted with meticulous precision, each pair offers unmatched comfort and style. Stay in Tall while you're tailgating or cheering in the stands with the Dallas Cowboys Collection by Lucasey. Shop the collection today at the Lucasey store at the Star and Frisco or online at lucasey dot com. Luksey the official boot of the Dallas Cowboys and Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders.
Speaker 5: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti Store Letter Rip Troy.
Speaker 14: All Right, folks, Dot's get started with the Yeddy French Press and Joe Calvin This Day's Hot for Hours and French Press thirty four, as for U six four with the cruise yety French press. What mix waterproof bags, bags and waterproofs some where's w waterproof Devil's waterprove bag bags for as most of the water sho to get a waterprove yetie bag gonta smell something cooking po new cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipes. Take a steak cornback, Compace, pop pine and ptatoes next over with three sizes of the yetty cast iron skillets.
Speaker 4: Gear gifts and product experts visit the Yetti Store on McKinney Street and at South Lake Town Square.
Speaker 7: Today back to the break, lg oled evil is the best TV in the game, but don't take her word for it. Digital Trends said that LGOLEDG four has the best picture quality they've ever seen, and see it for yourself at LG dot comp slash o Ledevil Welcome Back.
Speaker 4: It is the second segment of the Break with Life, and that's WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star in the brought to you by Bye blockchain dot Com. All right, let's talk about some of the guys that cowboys have lost. I think the biggest one is Jordan Lewis. I made it clear last week that after they signed OS, I was like, this is the next guy I really really want them to bring back. But the deal that he got, it was it was probably something the Cowboys wouldn't or couldn't pay, and certainly was something he couldn't pass up. A three year, thirty million dollar deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Twenty million of that guaranteed heck of a haul for him. That being said, what do you think of the deal and do you think it was something the Cowboys maybe should have entertained spending that much money on a nickel corner.
Speaker 9: I don't want to get into the weeds of financially because yes, they financially could afford it, But then talk about X that that'd be a whole conversation there. I say, you know, looking at the ten million dollars per year, making him the richest nickel in the NFL, I understand why the Cowboys maybe could have passed on a on a contract like that. Granted, there is probably no other guy in that locker room you would like to retain more than him, so you also factor that in. And I did a radio call with a guy in Jacksonville after the signing happened, and he was asking me. He's like, so, you know, what is the full package Jordan Lewis? You know, not only on the field and off the field. And as I was starting to talk about all the things he's contributed off the field from a locker room perspective, shoot from a media perspective, community perspective, I was like, man, this is a big loss and the new factor in the on play on the field play. He had his best season in twenty twenty four. But when this three year contract is up, he's going to be well into his thirties. He's gonna be thirty three, I believe when he hits free agency again, if that contract runs all the way through, and if you're paying ten million dollars for a guy that's thirty two years old, you know a few years from now at that nickel spot, that's a tough position to have longevity at. So I understand it, but man, that is a tough loss for the Cowboys. That was a guy that I know that they wanted to retain, just probably not at that price and definitely not at that length.
Speaker 2: A couple of things happened here. I don't think they expected to lose him. You know, if you look, if you go back and you kind of study some of the things that were done leading up to free agency. We've seen lists of top seventy five free agents, you know, top one hundred free agents. Jordan Lewis wasn't on a lot of those lists. Now there's the problem. A lot of pro personnel guys are watching tape. They're watching your team play. So you didn't see Jordan Lewis on that list by media person by media people, but you damn well knew that Jordan Lewis and the pro personnel circles teams knew where Jordan Lewis was. You know, one of the better players you had when things were going awful. Jordan Lewis. He was the one guy that could sit in this film room behind me when they were going breaking down the game and he could be proud about the way he played. I don't think there's a lot of guys that could say that every week, but he could. And so it's not surprising to me that he signed somewhere else. I think this one caught Dallas by surprise a little bit, though, I thought maybe that they were going to feel like that they were going to get him back. But you know Jacksonville, you know cap Space, new coach, new things going on down there. It's too good of an offer for Jordan Lewis to pass. And congratulate to him because on and off the field, he's the one guy that and Ambar likes to talk about this, he is the one guy that survived everybody that doubted him. He was the one guy standing at the end of the day. Everybody else who doubted him is no longer here, and so good for him forgetting that deal.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you can only root for a guy like that, And congratulations to him and what he was able to get. And I've never been in a lot of these contract negotiations, negotiations obviously in the NFL, but I would assume that the way it works, it's like, Hey, this team is offering me this, What can you offer me? Can you match the offer? Can you give me more?
Speaker 12: Like?
Speaker 7: Where are we at? If you don't meet that, then obviously you go the highest bid. And I think this is what happened. At the same time, I've heard the Cowboys discuss this multiple times in the way they handle certain things where it's like, Okay, you can get this player for X amount of money, or you can get this other player, this other player, that other player, three more players that can add depth in other positions that are clearly needed. And that's the way that I think how I see it is what happened here. They saw more value, not that they don't see the value in Jordan, but at this time they just saw more value in spreading their money around and adding depth in other positions that are clearly needed on the team right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think we all agree this would have been a difficult deal for Dallas to do in some respects, But the reality is, when you look at what's left, it took a position that was already a bit challenged and made it maybe the position that's most challenged on this team right now. You look at Trayvon Diggs, he's out hurt and don't really know exactly when he's going to be back. The suspicion is maybe you have him back by the season, but that's not a guarantee. And then you got de Ron Bland. You've got Kayln Carson, who last year they kind of threw in the fire, probably a little early because they had to because of injuries. And we'll see how much he develops. But based on all that, where do you say, how much do you think this has impacted Dallas And has this become for you a position where they really now maybe in a really really tough position.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to the point where you would look at it at twelve, I think that I think there's a couple of guys in play here. You know, we talked about it here at the break a little bit, but I think you do have to keep an eye on Will Johnson from Michigan, the corner there. You know, there are some there's some corners in this draft that are outstanding players, a lot of them coming off injuries. Some of the top ones. If you talk about Revel from East Carolina, Morrison from Notre Dame. You know you don't have a forty yard dash time on Will Johnson. He's got a hamstring problem that he's dealing with. April fourteenth is that day. There there's a lot of questions about these corners at the top of this board. And I even even if they would assigned Jordan Lewis, I think corner was still in play. Defensive tackle, corner, running back wide receiver. Just take your pick. Uh So, yeah, I I I don't think that's changed at all for them.
Speaker 9: Your only healthy cornerbacks on the roster right now, as we said today, are Deron Bland, Andrew Booth, Junior, Keemon Hall, and Kayln Carson. And if the season were to start today, you'd probably be starting Andrew Booth or Keemon Hall.
Speaker 4: Oh, we're glad the season isn't starting.
Speaker 8: Very glad day one of the of the league, League year and happy year. We still got six months.
Speaker 9: But yeah, it's a they're they're gonna have to address corner and they can't only just do it in the draft. They need to go get a guy in free agency as well. They need to go get a body there, a veteran body. Bring in somebody that can compete for a starting job, whether that be on the outside or the inside. Losing Jordan Lewis, you do have a little bit of flexibility in this since that Deron Bland has played inside going back to his rookie year. But if you're asking Deron Bland, I bet you he's gonna want to stick on the outside because the money's better there.
Speaker 2: The the compensatory picks were announced this I'm sure Derek's going to go through that all the fifth round picks. I'm going to make a prediction Dallas is going to look in the trade market, much like they did with with Gilmore and Cooks. With those fives, they're going to three of them. Yeah, they're going to look at and they got that. You know, they got a six too, But they're going to I think that they're going to and those picks are all kind of back to back to each other if you look at it, So keep an eye on. I think Dallas is exploring adding a player through trade like they did earlier, like well actually a couple of years ago with Gilmore and Cooks.
Speaker 4: What are your thoughts on guys like a Sante Samuel Junior Russell Douglas. These are two cornerbacks that are still available right now in free agency. Would you look at either of those two guys or do you really think this is going to have to come from either a players on another roster or the draft.
Speaker 8: I'm more of a Rasoul Douglas guy. If we're looking at both of those.
Speaker 9: Saute Samuel has had some issues in the past defending the run, and I don't want two corners that can't defend the run. Has also had some issues and playing, Man Press, I want a physical corner if I'm going to go out and spend money on one. That's why I'm more of a Rossul Douglas guy. Granted he is older, but I think you do need a veteran in that room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I and they might not take Samuel because of his his way. He's built. He's a smaller guy.
Speaker 4: Reason why he's not great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there, man Press, all of a sudden, you're starting to talk about you know, now you have to look. Will McLay is very specific about what he's looking at for these corners. So there's some guys on this list. I mean, we've talked about Baron from Texas. Gosh, what a great player, but he might not fit the metrics that you're looking at with this with this front office. So you know that that eliminates one right there that me personally, man, I this kid reminds me of Trent McDuffie from the from the Kansas City. The way he plays, that would be. But if you don't like Trent McDuffie, I don't know what I can do for you.
Speaker 4: It's going to be I saw him comp to Brian Branch and I was like, yeah, bring you another Brian.
Speaker 2: I think actually that Brian Branch is I don't know if you could play Barren as that linebacker kind of thing. Could you see Branch play down a lot? But man a very good player.
Speaker 4: And they moving around the Texas moving around the secondary a ton. He has flexibility as position. Sure, you can do a lot of different things.
Speaker 7: I think I was just gonna say, don't be surprised if we do actually see some kind of trade happening for that position, because absolutely at the moment, and just like you said, Nick, this has to happen before the draft, because even if you're looking to, let's say, draft a corner, you still based on everything that the Cowboys always say, they want to be able to feel good enough on every position or most positions prior to getting into the draft so that they're not fully forced to draft a certain player and that they can go more of the best player available approach. But yeah, don't be surprised for some trades happening in the near future.
Speaker 9: A couple of quotes last week from Jerry and Steven Jones about the idea of a trade. This is from after the Zach Martin presser. Jerry Jones says that draft picks this time of year at our premium and could be used a lot more in a trade. He said the team has the quote bait out on trade possibilities, but will wait for other teams to come to them and then Stephen Jones later on, when asked about big names floating around the trade market, he said, we're looking for what fits and what works for us. Big Names, in my mind, aren't always the answer. Big names don't always pan out as well. But then he went into describing Saquon Barkley and that being a big name that worked out for Philadelphia. But I think this team is certainly looking at trade possibility. Stephen Jones mentioned in Indianapolis, when you have ten draft picks, you can certainly use one or two on getting a veteran.
Speaker 4: All right, let's sick our final break. We'll come back. We have a couple other guys that will talk about the Cowboys lost, and then we'll get some scouting reports on some of the new Dallas Cowboys guys that they've signed here in this twenty twenty five free agent or they will sign this twenty twenty five free agency period, We'll be back Dallas Cowboys dot com radio.
Speaker 11: If you can't be at the stadium, there's no better way to watch your Cowboys than on an LG o lead Evo TV. That's because everything you see is more lifelike, every play.
Speaker 4: Every hit.
Speaker 8: I mean, you might just will be on the sidelines.
Speaker 4: That's how clear it is.
Speaker 11: It's all thanks to LG's legendary technology, perfect black over eight point three million self lit pixels.
Speaker 8: No one comes close.
Speaker 4: Lgoled Evo is the best TV in the game for a reason.
Speaker 11: See for yourself at LG dot com, slash o Leedevo.
Speaker 15: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United agen Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere Tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports equipment. United Aggon Turf the official Lagonturf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagonturf dot com to find a location near you.
Speaker 8: If you shout how about them Cowboys?
Speaker 9: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet. Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 8: The wins will be even tastier.
Speaker 4: It's a Pepper thing, and we're going to overtime. Erica how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 5: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the virtual financial assistant in the Bank of America mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com, slash aericup by your side. Bank of America, Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses me very digital toolspeatued required. Downloading The mobile banking app may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the English language. Your chap maybe recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message, data rates and additional terms may apply. Thank with America and a member FDIC.
Speaker 10: Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheatah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G Fast reliable, Secure.
Speaker 12: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 4: See add dot com slash five G for you for details. Back to the break.
Speaker 7: Ap and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 4: Thank you, miss Garcia, missus Garcia. We'll breeige you guys. Jones, We're back. Final segment of the break Life in s WBC Mortgage Studios at the Star, Let's talk about Chauncey GOLs and he signs with the New York Giants three year deal nineteen point five million. I guess my biggest question, and we're gonna get to Solomon Thomas in a minute when we talk about some of the guys they've played. But when I saw this, this signing, it made me think, well, did the Cowboys get that they got a guy who's versatile on the defensive line. Did they get a guy who is essentially a Chauncey Golston type player with a little more experience, maybe a little more aware on the tires, but a little more experience, but that kind of player.
Speaker 9: I think he's kind of the inverse of Chauncey Golston in the sense of more defensive, more defensive tackle, and I think he was forced at times to go to end and it never really panned out for him in my eyes, at least at two ninety five.
Speaker 8: Put that guy inside this.
Speaker 9: This Chauncey Golston signing is interesting to me just because I feel like, when you look at this Giants roster, yes, he's gonna get playing time, but are we are we sure he's going to get as much playing time as he would if he had returned to Dallas. And for a six and a half million dollar price tag, this was one that was just so prizing to me. Stayed in division for a price I figured would have been higher. I thought he would have been closer to ten million, honestly, but he fell at the six and a half mark. It was six and a half per year, right, yeah, right, yep. It's this one was surprising to me.
Speaker 8: It really was.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I the thing that this is gonna sound terrible. I think this is on the player. And I mean I mean on the player, meaning on the player. But I guess I could put some blame on the Cowboys in previous regime. They never figured out a spot for this guy, you know. He It's like we were always kind of waiting for him. Is he an end? Is he a tackle? Everybody kind of had their their idea. Like we were training camp and you would see him playing outside and you're like, why is he playing outside? He needs to play inside, And then they playim in. It's like, oh, well, all of a sudden, he starts playing well, you know, and you just kind of wonder, like it's very reminiscent of what we saw with Tyron Crawford's career, where he was like they didn't know is he a three technique? Is he an end, what is this guy? So the player, the player just struggled with that. I mean, this year was probably the best year you've ever seen him play. But is that because the front office and the coaching staff couldn't figure out a spot for him. I think that it was one of those things. It's probably too late. If he would have played, if he would have played like this two years ago, maybe you do have an extension here. Maybe and I'm blaming him, but yeah, I guess you need to blame the coaching staff in the front office because nobody ever figured out where this guy needed to play. And so yeah, and I think that's why you see the contract the way it is. You know, this are some questions, Wow, could he have stayed? And sure, but I think there's still there was like, wow, he only played, only did this for one year, so we were always waiting for him. He was going to be the Tank Lawrence replacement guy. It just never materialized that way. It's on the player, and it's on the front office and the coaching staff for not figuring out quickly enough where he where he needed to be.
Speaker 9: And just to clarify my point really quick, it's not necessarily a surprise that he departed Dallas.
Speaker 8: I think I expected that.
Speaker 9: The surprise is how it came about staying in division for that type of a price and going to a team where there are a lot of edge bodies, so you would have to think that maybe he would be factored into their interior defensive line situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't know where to play him and they're giving him six and a half million times.
Speaker 7: Let me ask you guys this because you mentioned that, you mentioned Crawford as well, and I know there's been a number of guys that you always find yourself having the same type of situation, where is he this or is it that? Is that just kind of by default of what happens in the roster in the roster that you're always going to have a guy that kind of plays that role that you're uncertain of what they're gonna be.
Speaker 2: This team's had a lot of think about some of the draft picks that they've had in the secondary that they couldn't figure out if there were corners the day with Dan Byron Jones, couldn't figure out if Byron Jones was a corner or safety. You know, they didn't draft they didn't our guy that uh that uh in the Zeke draft. Uh, the corner from Florida State at the time, the safety that uh whom I mean the same draft twenty sixteen draft Florida.
Speaker 8: I'm as well, Blake and on the.
Speaker 2: It's the corner, the big time corner. Why do I can't remember damn names when I need to remember names. But it's it's with with the with the Rams the Dolphins. He's playing with the Dolphins now. Jalen Ramsey, Jayalen Ramsey.
Speaker 4: God, sorry a Cowboys Jack. No, I'm syah.
Speaker 2: It was a twenty sixteen draft. They couldn't figure out where to play Damn Jalen Ramsey. They couldn't. It's a corners. You say, well, we need to take Zeke. Well wait a minute, you got this guy, you know they see this is an issue. When you don't have an understanding of where your guy needs to be and you don't have a plan for him or an understanding of him, then what happens is you might have him and then he goes off somewhere else and you're like, wow, that was that was a loss right there Byron Jones. I mean, I know he went off to Miami and it didn't work out great for him. But Byron Jones, all of a sudden, he's playing corner. No way, he's playing safety? Is he? What is he? And see, that's the uncertainty of your roster. I think that affects the way that you build your team. And unfortunately for some of these players like Chauncey Golston, I think that you developed Chauncey Golston. He should probably still be here playing. But that's on him, and that's on the coaches for not getting it done.
Speaker 9: I think that's a product also of it's one of the k I'm sorry, it's one of the cons of this of the scouting department seeking out versatile players, and I honestly think it is a correct approach and it's go find guys with versatility that can give you an impact in multiple spots. I mean, let's look at the roster right now. Guys that they have toyed around with in multiple spots. Tyler Smith, awesome, Richards. We've talked about the idea of Cooper BB. They have talked about the idea of Cooper BB. Obviously it hadn't happened on the defense side of the ball. Michael Parsons We've seen that get moved around to Ron Bland in some instances.
Speaker 8: Israel Mukuamu.
Speaker 9: That's that is one of the cons when you run into a situation like Chauncey Golson where you're trying to force it at maybe a spot where he's not as natural at But I take I would take the wins on the flip side of that, the wins of Tyler Smith, the wins of Michael Parsons.
Speaker 2: They won't play Tyler Smith at tackle.
Speaker 8: They fight you and it makes the run.
Speaker 2: They will fight you to play Tyler Smith at tackled. They will fight you about Yeah, they won't do it. So is that flexibility or do they They've come to their senses like if we move this guy, we're gonna hurt him. Is that is that? Is that really what it is?
Speaker 4: Honestly, I think they've seen at this point that he is a all pro guard and they're like, there's no point to move him back, Like you already know he's an all pro guard. Don't take a chance with will he be an all all pro center? I mean all pro tackle? We know he's an all pro guard. Keep him at at God's.
Speaker 8: Trimate center too. Let's see right right now.
Speaker 2: I wonder I wonder if if like the thought about Cooper BB. You know, could Cooper BB be your right guard? And I wonder what coach Riley coming in here with the idea of like, wow, you know what I didn't think about playing I mean, I just played in MC guard when I was in Kansas State. Man, this guy was a damn good guard. Wow. Yeah he plays center this well? Okay, so you know there needs to be uh. To me, I used to think in like Nick, I used to think, like you, that position flex was this great blessing. It's not. It's a curse because what happens is you don't play the you don't figure out the player, the player's position quick enough. You just like, well, he could do this, he could do that position flex.
Speaker 7: In theory sounds good.
Speaker 2: It theory, it sounds great.
Speaker 9: So they bring in Tyler Smith as a tackle. That's that's what he's drafted at. Yeah, and they just never give him the opportunity at guard. You would have you would you would have been okay with that.
Speaker 2: Lie. I was surprised. I honestly though, I was. To me, the fact that he had to play guard was because of Tyron Smith. You know, I mean, if Tyron Smith's not here, he's he's probably gonna be here. He's starting left tackle. Tyron Smith got hurt, he played well enough to be your starting tackle going forward, you know. And that's and then all of a sudden, Tyron Smith comes back, and what they have to do. They had to put him back at.
Speaker 4: Guard, and then they find out he's an All Pro guard. They kepn there. Like that's the point though, Like I think that's what Nick is saying, is that that level of flexibility is what got him to the guard position, because I.
Speaker 2: Think it was that of necessity is what that was the fact that he played tackle at Tulsa. Okay, fine, but to me play these guys where they where you feel like they could be your their absolute best.
Speaker 4: What do you think you coming out? Where'd you think he'd be best fit?
Speaker 2: Left tackle? Left tackle?
Speaker 9: Versatility kind of absolves the need of of being an emergency that was emergency.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and if you had to take a guess, what's the ratio here? What are we looking at versus things that were successful stories, Yeah, because of versatility or things that just like what we just talked about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's just going down the list of persatile guys that don't do you know that, Wow, he's a nickel corner. No, wait, he's a slot. Wait is he a safety? And then and then he doesn't do it? And then you're like, what what is he? And then you waste opportunity with it.
Speaker 9: I think that's I think that's more so a coaching thing rather than it is a player.
Speaker 2: Or that's what I've been arguing in the last four.
Speaker 9: Minute scouting department philosophy. It's more so like, Okay, he has the ability to play these multiple spots. That is why we are drafting this guy, So we're going to try him at these multiple spots. I think at this point, when you're talking about an Israel mcwalm, wehere you're talking about Chouncy Goulston, trying him at these multiple spots just went on for a little too long.
Speaker 8: And if that's your argument, I agree.
Speaker 2: That is That is my argument.
Speaker 4: And you tell me it's not the flex it is how long they take him back.
Speaker 2: When you tell me, and I'm if I'm sitting in a draft room and you go and he goes, this guy's got position flex, I immediately go, Nick, what's his best position, because I am not going to be interested in trying him sometimes here, sometimes there, and then I look up and now he's gone. He's somewhere else because I didn't. I didn't play him at the position that he needs to be playing at.
Speaker 4: You know, I'll tell you this. With Chauncey Golson, I think one of the things that it looked like to me was he may have looked at this situation and thought, I don't know where I fit with this team moving forward. Marshawn Neelan is, in my opinion, a guy that they drafted to replace Tank Clawence. At whatever point Tank Clawrence is no longer here, he still is. I would think at this point there's no guarantee he won't be back next year. I'm talking about Tank. You got Sam Williams, who they drafted in the second round, who they who got hurt. They're still expecting, hopefully that he can come back around. So if I'm Chauncey, I'm looking at this and I'm saying, I know you were saying like it seems like he'd have a lot of opportunity here. I don't know if he felt like there was all this opportunity here because there's so many question marks about so many guys at Edge that I look at it and if I'm him, I'm thinking, maybe there are more opportunities for me to play more in New York than there are here, because I just don't know what the position looks like here.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the thing that made me question was there's so many talented Edge bodies, whether it be a Cavon Thibodeau, which could be a guy that they move on from, but they haven't.
Speaker 4: I don't think they've worked. It's completely happy with where they draft and what they've gotten.
Speaker 8: Oh, absolutely, they can't be.
Speaker 9: They can't be absolutely, and then Brian Burns, they can't be happy with the return that they've gotten, at least from the one year there. So maybe it makes sense from a giant's perspective, like, hey, let's bring in this fresh body who we saw twice last year, played really well and he can be a guy that can kind of push these other guys that will.
Speaker 4: Be a rotation guy for us. Yeah, for sure, because the money doesn't mean he has to be an immediate starter. I think he could be a rotation guy for them that helps their rotation pretty much.
Speaker 9: I'm just not one hundred percent sure he would have had the same opportunity in Dallas.
Speaker 8: I feel like he maybe would have.
Speaker 9: But hey, if it's a greener pastors for him, maybe, and if it works out for him, great, But I'm happy he got paid.
Speaker 8: He's a good dude and he deserves it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, real quick, before we end the show, too many dooga, he signs a two year deal with Jacksonville. What kind of impact does that have on the Cowboys if any?
Speaker 2: Well, he was like the life raft for the coach.
Speaker 4: He certainly was.
Speaker 2: No, No, he was alf he was. He was. I mean, you know, the front office could not ask Mike McCarthy and those guys to play Tyler Geydon. Those coaches were trying to save their jobs and they saw that Tyler Geydon wasn't ready. The learning curve was too strong, you know, he wasn't ready to play. So they went with the player that gave him the best chance to win, and for the most part, it worked out for him that way. But yeah, this was he was. He I'll tell you this, He played far better than I thought he could play. You know, I need to change my opinion about him, because I think there was more than just a serviceable guy, a band aid guy. He gave them some good games, some good reps throughout this thing. And he was he was an absolute life raft for a situation with a rookie that wasn't ready to play.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he played left tackle, he filled in a left guard, right guard. It's a good thing. He has some versatility.
Speaker 9: Let me tell you no, But I think I think it's going to happen.
Speaker 2: You know it's gonna happen. Awesome. Richards is going to end up the same way. You're not going to figure out a position for Austoin Richards, and then he'll go off and start for somebody, and then we'll have this discussion again.
Speaker 9: Do you need to figure out a position for Austin Richards? I if you feel comfortable about your front five.
Speaker 2: You know what there's to me. I just play him, Just find a spot to play him at, you know, just figure it out. Is does he like playing guard? Does he feel more comfortable to guard? Does he feel more comfortable to tackle. They'll tell you, like, if you talk to the player, which I'm sure you have a million times, he'll tell you he wants to play guard, you know. But but the fact that he has to be ready for other positions. You do it out of necessity, but to me, find a position for these guys, develop that position, and then and then maybe maybe you want to sign this guy earlier than you're waiting to the last minute, like oh wow, we we really developed this guy and now he's somebody else's property. I'm not interested in doing that anymore.
Speaker 9: The thing, the thing I think I'm trying to pick your brain on here is like, Okay, let's say.
Speaker 2: That we're playing go fish again.
Speaker 8: We're playing go fish again.
Speaker 9: Okay, Let's let's say, Okay, awesome Richards, we want you to be a left tackle. Yeah, and we are going to keep you a left tackle. Yeah, Tyler, guy never gets hurt, he succeeds, and you never have to play Awesome Richards. But you have all these problems in at left guard and right guard. You need somebody to fill in. I'm playing guards around the guards and guard. You look him around the room and you're like, he's the best guard on our roster.
Speaker 8: I'm not saying he is.
Speaker 2: Well, if he's the best guard on your roster, then playing at guard but.
Speaker 9: Not the best guard on your roster, the best guard that you have in the depth of your playing the guard. But okay, but you already had him at tackle because you think he could be a better tackle if the thing about it's saying it is like, I think the versatility really could work for guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and versatility also will make you, like get signed by the Giants for six and a half million dollars.
Speaker 4: But I guess that's that's the question. Is he a starting caliber player? Because if he is, then I.
Speaker 2: Figure it out.
Speaker 4: No, but I'm saying I agree with you, Brian, But here's the problem. If he's not a starter caliber player, if he's always going to be a death guy. Yeah, if he's always going to be a deaf guy, that versatility matters. That's what's going to keep him in the end.
Speaker 2: You know he could play both. But but what you need to do is you need to make sure that he's playing the one position that he's absolutely that you feel like though that, Okay, I think this guy, let's develop the one position. If he has to play guard in the game, I'm fine. But if he but developing in the one position that he's the best at, continue to work on that part because that's the thing you're probably going to, and you're going to when something happens, you're going to need him to be ready to be that guy. I think playing guard is just a sometime thing planned left tackle, I think is more what his career path should be.
Speaker 7: I think we're all saying the same thing, just in different ways.
Speaker 2: Not me and Nick.
Speaker 7: No, No, it depends.
Speaker 4: On what I'm trying to figure out what y'all are talking about. Look, I kind of agree with him. I think it's very similar, look at it very different.
Speaker 2: You know, he wants position flexibility. I'm interested in, and I think I got this right, Nick, You're interested in like working guys, keep working guys at both spots. I'm more interested in developing the guy at the spot that they're their absolute best at. And if they have to play the other position, then so be it. But I'm not spending a lot of reps trying to develop them at both positions. I'm going to pick it.
Speaker 4: But I think that's what Nick saying, right. I don't think Nick saying you need to split their reps in practice. What I think he is is that what you say.
Speaker 9: I could see that more so early on. I'll make this quick, I promise, more so early on in a career, like by the time you get to your second training camp, Yes, I'm with you, Brian. Yeah, once you get to like the back half of your second training camp, it's like, all right, man, we're gonna we're gonna keep you here, and if we need to fill you in in another spot, then we'll train you at that spot. But as of right now, you know we're gonna move forward. I'm saying from a scouting perspective, I would love to go get versatility. I would love to find versatility because this guy could have an impact in multiple spots.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 9: But to credit to your philosophy, you look at a program like the Ravens. Yeah, specifically in their secondary they draft so many versatile dbs, but they bring them in, they figure out where they're at training camp.
Speaker 8: They're like, we're keeping you at corner work, keeping you in safety.
Speaker 9: So there is credit to your type of philosophy, but I think there's also credit to the versatility philosophy. It's just kind of two different ways of thinking about things. I've seen this Sor, and I understand where you're coming from.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that I've seen this organization waste guys are here I've seen them just because of position flex because there they haven't they haven't found the right position. And then these guys go.
Speaker 9: Wait, waited too long. And I'm with you there, I agree with you. I agree with you, understanding all right, appreciate the truth. Great to be far from a movie that you're on. The draft show more, we are more of it.
Speaker 4: We're back next week. We'll have more to talk about. Hopefully the Cowboys will have some more signings we can get into. We still have not gotten our scouting reports. We'll do that a little little bit next week. Talk about some of the guys they've signed and signed and brought onto the team. Till then, for Nick Harris, Brian brought us in Ambergarcia. I'm Derek Eagle. This has been The Break live on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.