Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 2: Good morning everyone. It is Tuesday, February twenty fourth. I'm Amy Robots and I'm TJ Holmes. And what a difference of day makes.
Speaker 1: Blizzard yesterday couldn't even see New Jersey look out the window, sun shine and glisten, And what a difference a day makes. We survived a blizzard. I guess you know what, New York for the most part.
Speaker 3: We absolutely survived a blizzard.
Speaker 2: And I do think that it's I always look to weather as just such a mirror into our lives.
Speaker 3: Right when you're in the middle of the storm, it all feels just like, you know, all hell is breaking loose. You don't know what's going to happen.
Speaker 2: There's fear, and then the next day you wake up and the sun is shining and everything is a new I do like to remember those moments that Mother Nature teaches us all the time, this too shall pass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but another one's coming tomorrow, telling us we will have another storm, not the same type of intensity, of course, I say it'll be quick, but more is coming. And some places, including Providence robes don't need more. Did you see anywhere that got more snow than Providence, Rhode Island.
Speaker 2: Rhode Island was the bullseye from what I saw. And you have your thirty eight inches in Providence.
Speaker 1: Don't even know what to do with that. It's taller than most preschoolers. Three feet of snow.
Speaker 3: That's you know what. That reminds me of Lake effect snow growing up.
Speaker 2: My parents both grew up on Lake Michigan, and there was one time where we had to climb out of a window to dig out the front door to leave.
Speaker 3: That's the kind of snow Rhode Island saw yesterday.
Speaker 1: I only heard about lake effects snow. I think maybe twelve so years ago. I grew up differently, But yes, Providence got a lot of places, got a lot. We can tell you that schools are back open in a lot of places. Traffic is being allowed in a bunch of places again. And some places New York included had travel bands. But then also robes the airlines, the airports. It's not great. I checked. I'm sure you did. This morning. We saw eighty ninety percent cancelations. It's still about fifty percent in some places up here. I think Boston as well. But it's better than yesterday.
Speaker 3: It's better than yesterday.
Speaker 2: See, that's where we are right now, and hopefully by tomorrow they'll get things straightened out.
Speaker 3: But there were thousand, what it was, ended up being close.
Speaker 2: To six thousand flight cancelations yesterday, and I think we're still in the thousands today as well.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so I hopefully won't be as bad. More delays instead of cancelations. I know, delays suck, but that's better than the cancelation. But things are getting back on track. It was fun, you know that I haven't seen. We should let you all know. At least in New York they're not reporting any deaths associated with this storm. Now. In other places we've been looking around, the reports aren't out there yet, but if they are, they're limited, and that's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Ro It's a good thing that folks heated the warnings stayed off the throat. That's why travel bands are so important. The inconvenience of not being able to order door dash or jumping an uber to visit a friend far out weigh the fact that, as far as we see right now, there were no jests. That is remarkable given the breadth and the width of this storm.
Speaker 1: You know, they say it a lot, they mention it, but it seemed like there was extra emphasis this time around on don't go out there shoveling. Yes, and that's how so many people die. But I noticed it more so this time around, so I too. Maybe there was a big push, but whatever, something might have worked. So wherever you are, I hope you are safe and made it through okay, And a lot of people are still digging out. But this morning on the Morning Run, we will be making stops in La DC, the UK, Ukraine, to Texas, to Park City, Utah, to London, to Mexico and to Vegas. We have to start with this story. Though my heart sank ropes as you know this. This was a part of my childhood. Actor Robert Carodine has died at the age of seventy one. Now Robert Carodine is a part of the Carrodine acting family, but he's the guy best known for his role in the screwball comedies in the eighties Revenge of the Nerds. I loved these movies as a kid. I think they made four or five of these, but he was the lead, the head of it. But dead at the age seventy one. Robes that is flat out young these days.
Speaker 2: It is incredibly heartbreaking too when the details of his death, which we'll get into, were revealed. But yeah, I had to admit I've seen the like the posters for Revenge of the Nerds, but for whatever reason, maybe I wasn't allowed to see it.
Speaker 3: Was it raunchy because.
Speaker 1: Their parents were very strict.
Speaker 3: Okay, that now it all makes sense.
Speaker 2: I was not allowed to watch a lot of these movies that people will attribute to their childhood because my parents said if there was cursing, if there was anything raunchy, I was not allowed to watch it.
Speaker 1: A lot of cursing, lot of potty humor. Well, I've never seen a ledge humor. Even one of his best boys name was Booga like and he was just gross. And it was just a lot of that stuff on in college campus.
Speaker 2: Yes, makes sense, So I would like to watch it now that I'm an adult with you. In homage to Grotine, because yeah, I have never seen a film for people who are a little bit younger. You may know him from the dad on the Disney original series Lizzie McGuire, which starred Hillary Duff. According to Deadline, Robert Carrodine took his own life, and his family wanted to acknowledge his struggles in their public statement announcing his passing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the statement says, quote, we want to acknowledge Bobby's valiant struggle against his nearly two decade battle with bipolar disorder. We hope his journey can shine a light and encourage addressing the stigma that's attached to mental illness. We want people to know it and there is no shame in it. It is an illness that got the best of him, and I want to celebrate him for his struggle with it and celebrate his beautiful soul. There is no shame in it. That it was important for them to mention that with seventy one. My goodness, I didn't realize and I had no idea that he was dealing with pie bipolar disorder. Don't know if he was public about.
Speaker 2: That, But by honoring his legacy with that, I think it's a pretty cool way to honor his passing in the hopes of helping others by creating that thing that we've heard so much about that there is no shame in mental illness. So I applaud his family for their statement. All right, Next up on the Run, The State of the Union is happening tonight at nine o'clock Eastern, and hope y'all got your sleep. Because Trump is known for his long as in really long speeches.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, he's known for the long speeches, but robes he's not. I'm not used to him foreshadowing how long the speech is going to be. The President himself even said this is going to be a long speech. You need to get settled because quote is going to be a long speech because I have a lot to talk about. See you tonight.
Speaker 3: I know you're ready. I got the popcorn pot.
Speaker 1: But that the other part of this is now is become theater. You're waiting to see what member of Carrie's going to jump up and yell something at the president. What is going to be happening behind him, the people sitting around, Well, no, he has Republicans behind him.
Speaker 3: But it is fun to watch them.
Speaker 1: It's always funny.
Speaker 2: They're constantly scrutinized the entire time, especially if it's a long speech.
Speaker 3: We'll be looking to see if anyone snoozes.
Speaker 2: All right, next up on the run, you know who won't be in attendance.
Speaker 3: The US Women's Gold medal winning hockey team.
Speaker 2: They were invited to attend the President's State of the Union addressed tonight, but turns out they'd rather Netflix and chill.
Speaker 3: We're kidding.
Speaker 2: They didn't say that. They did turn down the invitation. However, they did it in the politest of ways. This should be studied this response.
Speaker 1: I would love the backstory on who was sitting around at table and had to approve every single word of this, But they put it this way. We are sincerely grateful for the invitation extended to our goal medal winning US women's hockey team and deeply appreciate the recognition of their extraordinary achievement. Due to the timing and previously scheduled academic and professional commitments following the games, the athletes are unable to participate. They were honored to be included and are grateful for the acknowledgment. In other words, we busy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's a little bit of a backstory to this too, because President Trump called and invited the men's gold winning team as well, and notably, I think he was on Air Force one. He said to them, you know, this means we're going to have to invite the women too, So it was taken as a slight Some people feel like perhaps the thought and the refusal to accept the invitation might have been in response to that. They felt like it was a fairly demeaning boys club kind of response. But we don't know if we don't know if the men's team is going to be in attend that we're.
Speaker 1: Invited as well. That not an official word on that as of this recording. But what do you do? I take him out their word. They are all over the place now that they have just one there and again, yeah, some are students, some are this, some of that. But man, it seems weird if Obama.
Speaker 2: Would have called yeah, I mean I believe they got another game Thursday or something that they were pointing to.
Speaker 1: So the President invites you, you show up, don't you most of the time? All right, Well, continuing here on Baberon, now we head over to the UK actually where there are more developments and having to do with Jeffrey Epstein has been dead for how long I keep asking? Twenty nineteen, okay, and he is still having an incredible impact on business and world politics. This time the former British ambassador to the US. Well, he's out of jail this morning because he was in jail for a while yesterday after his arrest. This is Peter Mandelsson. He was rested on suspicion of misconduct in public office. Recent Epstein file revelations suggests he might have shared sensitive information with Epstein.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I kind of did a deep dive reading these emails he was sending. It definitely appears like he was sharing sensitive financial information with Jeffrey Epstein. And this all comes you may remember just a week after former Prince Andrew was arrested for the exact same accusation, which was of course sharing that sensitive information misconduct in public office. Obviously we know that Prince Andrew or he's sorry, Former Prince Andrew just rolls off the tongue sometimes was released, but he is still considered under investigation.
Speaker 3: Next up on the Run.
Speaker 2: Continuing the fallout from Jeffrey Epstein, Peter Attia has now resigned from his new position as medical contributor to CBS News. He also faced criticism for his relationship with Epstein, which came to further light in that recent Epstein file dump. A lot of people went out with that last time.
Speaker 1: And it's not over probably, but the Spokesporson for Atia said the decision was made to ensure his involvement didn't become a distraction. He was one of this new crop that Barry Weis's a new head of CBS News over there, trying to bring in influencers, bring in folks who have big social media followings, and he was a social media influencer and medical star brought him in. He's gone already before even got started.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Next up on the Run, the President of Mexico swears things are calming down, getting back to normal after that wave of violence following the killing of cartel boss Elmentcho on Sunday. Authority say gang members paralyzed part of the country, including Port of Arta, with attacks and block streaks with burned out vehicles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dozens have been killed since that military operation on Sunday. It prompted the US government to till Americans there to shelter in place again. The state where this was happening, Jalisco, a large one that includes Port of Ararta, a very popular vacation spot, and it's so popular it just so happens that even in this house Ropes is kind of remarkable. We have people there right now. We're getting calls about including your daughter and your cousins. Friends.
Speaker 2: We have friends who were all there at Port of Iyarda and we were just there a week earlier. I mean, we missed this violence by days. And look, it was just unthinkable. Yes we know it's Mexico, Yes we know some of the unrest there, but still I have never felt unsafe there, and it's just it was. It was very surreal to see the smoke and hearing reports from friends of friends saying that they were stuck in their hotel rooms.
Speaker 3: They didn't know what.
Speaker 2: To do, they couldn't get out, they were afraid to leave their room, they couldn't get to the airport because of blockades. A lot of folks impacted by this, but apparently yes, it is improving all right. Next up on the run Ukrainians. Today marked the four year anniversary of the Russian invasion. It was on this day four years ago that Russia launched that full scaled attack. Five hundred thousand people have been killed and it looks like, yes, we are heading into the fifth year.
Speaker 1: We are now. It's incredible this has been going on. We are now officially today in the fifth year of this war I cannot believe. And there I don't know the latest we've seen. It's always a back and forth. They seem to be close and not close at all. And Trump is on this side a little more than this. Where are up in the air, my goodness? Continuing on the run here. Now, let's head back stateside and head to LA where thirty two year old Nick Reiner was arraigned yesterday and pled not guilty with the stabbing deaths of his parents, Rob and Michelle Reiner. That took place back on December fourteenth.
Speaker 2: Yes, and Monday's arraiement came after it was postponed back in January. You might remember his then prominent LA lawyer stepped down from the case. So Rhiner was repped by a public defender yesterday wearing a brown jumpsuit, and he only said one word yes when he was asked if he understood the proceedings.
Speaker 1: Now, the DA that I spoke to reporters after the hearing acknowledging his office is still considering pursuing the death penalty, said the case is death penalty eligible. Instead, along those lines, we take the process in which we determine whether or not to death penalty should be sought extremely seriously, go through a rigorous process. Are they still looking or they were considering the family?
Speaker 2: Yes, they have said that they are considering what the family's wishes are. But they said they're going to be looking also at all the aggravating and mitigating circumstances. They say the defense will be able to present to them either in a meeting orally or in writing about what they would like prosecutors to consider. So yeah, it's all up in the air, but everything is on the table. Reiner's next appearance in court is set for April twenty ninth.
Speaker 1: Continue on the run here now we head to Texas, where Congressman Tony Gonzalez is facing fresh criticism and calls for his resignation. Republican has been denying reports for months now that he had an affair with a married staffer who later died by suicide. This young lady set herself on.
Speaker 2: Fire, and that claim was bolstered last week when a text message was released from Regina Santos Avalas.
Speaker 3: She sent this text to.
Speaker 2: A coworker and it said I had an affair with our boss. Well, now new texts have come to light, and these are from the congressman to the staffer, in which he is asking her for sexy picks and even asked about sexual positions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is coming to us from a report from NBC News, which says they have reviewed these text messages and find them to be authentic. But her responses to him, and some of these included please tell me you didn't just hire me because I was hot. Another one says this is too far. Tony doesn't look good as rose. As far as his social media, it's business as usually talking about going to the State of the Union and not. But he says he's there was no how what was this thing? The rumors are? Uh, that was a way he said it. He didn't just say I did not This did not happen. But he said the rumors are false or something. Yeah, something, yes, unsubstantiated.
Speaker 3: Who knows.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll continue to follow that story. But next on the run, we had to Utah, where testimony is underway after opening statements in the trial of thirty five year old Corey Richins. She's the mam of three who stands accused of killing her husband, arrested within weeks of published a book on helping kids through the grief of losing a parent.
Speaker 1: She was for Traye in court yesterday as a desperate woman who was millions of dollars in debt and wanted to be with another guide. They say she killed Eric Richards, her husband, by slipping him five times the lethal dose of fentanyl in a Moscow mule after telling him or excuse me, after trying to poison him a month earlier with a fentanyl laced sandwich that forced him to use an EpiPen and take benadryl. So she used, charged with his murder and attempted murder, all in the same guy set.
Speaker 3: I've not seen that before. Right.
Speaker 2: More than one time, the defense asked yours not to rush to judgment, though before hearing Corey's side of the story. Through cross it does appear though they are setting up a defense that's blaming the victim. They're suggesting either her husband either accidentally ingested the fentanyl, that he perhaps even deliberately took the drug, that he was addicted to painkillers from chronic pain. Richins is facing, by the way, nearly three dozen charges, including aggravated murder, yes attempted murder, forgery, mortgage and insurance fraud.
Speaker 3: The accounts go on and on.
Speaker 1: Next up on the run here now. BAFTA is apologizing, the BBC is apologizing, but the guy who uttered the inward while Michael B Jordan and del Roy Lindo were on stage did not apologize. This story is being talked about everywhere this week after what happened on Sunday at the BAFTA Awards ceremony. Well, del Roy Lindo and Michael B Jordan were presenting the first award of the night. You could hear the slur shouted out in this quiet theater.
Speaker 2: That's right, and the man doing the shouting was John Davidson from the nominated film I Swear. That movie is about his struggle with Tourette syndrome, and during the show he had several outbursts attributed to tics, including yes, shouting the N word. BAFTA and the BBC initially apologized, including for the outbursts not being edited out of their initial broadcast because they did have.
Speaker 1: That option, but Davidson released a statement as well. This is who I think a lot of people were waiting to hear for waiting to hear from, and it stood out that there was no mention of Michael B. Jordan or del Roy Lindo, and there was no apology of any kind. He said quote. I wanted to thank Baft and everyone involved in the awards last night for their support and understanding and inviting me to attend the broadcast. I felt welcomed and understood in an environment that would normally be impossible for me. I am and always have been, deeply mortified if anyone considers my involuntary ticks to be intentional or to carry any meaning. I have spent my life trying to support, empower the Turet's community and to teach empathy, kindness and understanding from others, and I will continue to do so. I choose to leave the auditory. I chose to leave the auditorium early into the ceremony as I was aware of the distress my tics were causing. But no apology for the distress, empathy, kindness, and understanding.
Speaker 3: Damn he wants that for himself again.
Speaker 1: I'm trying. I'm trying, robes. But the two black men who are our elites stood up on a stage and the world and got the inward hurled at them, and the guy who did it didn't even mention their name of the discomfort or the anger, or the trauma or anything. People can forgive, Robes, we can forgive.
Speaker 2: We absolutely can have to acknowledge and apologize asking for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is not even acknowledging.
Speaker 1: Asking for it. This is a tough one. We tried what robes with understanding of Turet's and that's meaningful, and that was a worthy conversation. But now he has sparked a new one and a different one that changes the story. Maybe this was a mistake. Maybe did you see anything else I looked?
Speaker 3: I didn't. That statement was his statement.
Speaker 1: Overlook something all right, folks will stay with us on this Tuesday Morning run when we come back. A very big company wants a very big refund from the federal government over those tariffs. Will they get it? Also, an update from Lindsay Vaughn that as horrible as that crash looked, it sounds like it was even much worse than we thought. We got an update from her, and there is a new Fight of the Century in the works. It's actually a replay of the last fight of the century we had with two supposed to be retired boxers. Stay here.
Speaker 2: Continuing our Tuesday Morning run everyone FedEx wants its money back. The company has filed a lawsuit demanding a tariff refund from the Trump administration now that the Supreme Court has ruled the bulk of the President's tariffs are and were illegal.
Speaker 1: Now, so how much do they want back? Don't know, don't have the exact number. They didn't mention that necessarily in the lawsuit. But this appears to be the first major lawsuits since the Supreme Court's Friday decision knocking down those tariffs. Tons of other companies, I think they say the numbers in the hurrent hundreds have been suing the administration, but this is the first one since the actual Supreme Court decision that says the tariffs are illegals. So now you got pretty good justification and lawsuit.
Speaker 2: I wonder how many lawsuits the Trump administration has either actually initiated or fielded in just one year. I bet it rivals like ten years of other administrations. Like this is significant. I've never talked or reported about so many just legal back and forth in my life.
Speaker 1: Is it a five digit number or six digit? Is the number of lawsuits have to be in the tens of thousands.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I was a six digit Did it make one hundred thousand?
Speaker 1: They have one hundred thousand lawsuits been flying around since.
Speaker 3: We should investigate, Okay, we should investigate.
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: In the meantime though, yeah, no, I do not. Next to It's overwhelming.
Speaker 2: Next up on the run, Lindsay Vaughn says she almost lost her leg. We all, of course remember that horrific crash she had thirteen seconds into her run at the beginning of her downhill at the Olympics.
Speaker 1: So the official word we got was that it was a complex tibia fracture, But in an Instagram post yesterday, she explained that she developed something called compartment syndrome. I wasn't familiar with this, but it's a build up of pressure inside your muscle that can be caused by swelling or caused by fluid. This is nasty stuff. And she gave much love to her doctor for saving her leg.
Speaker 2: Wow, doctor Tom Hackett, she said, saved my leg. He saved my leg from being amputated. He did what's called a faciotomy where he cut open both sides of my leg and kind of filate it open, let it breathe, and he saved me.
Speaker 1: That's wild.
Speaker 3: So my mom actually had the surgery.
Speaker 2: Why, I know that's crazy, but from all her running, it probably wasn't as severe, but she They had to cut open her leg and then reattach it.
Speaker 3: But it is incredibly painful. She's going to be in the wheel in a.
Speaker 2: Wheelchair for the next couple of months because she also broke her ankle.
Speaker 3: This, I mean, look, I get it.
Speaker 2: This is but it shows you what these athletes put themselves through and the risks they take to do what they do at the level they're doing it. This is remarkable. Thank god she's okay. Thank God she'll be able to walk again. But she she was in her posts. She made it very she almost had an amputation.
Speaker 1: Oh god, that as bad as it looked, now I feel even worse about it. But man, it's to your point, Robes, that what they're willing to do. She voluntarily put herself out there. No, obviously she didn't think anything was going to be this bad. But man, much love, Lindsey Vaughan. The final leg of our run here now Mayweather Pakiao is on again. A decade after their first fight of the century, these two boxing icons have agreed to a real fight later this year. This isn't some of this BS we've been seeing these exhibitions with folks coming out of retirement. These dudes are going to fight through.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that means.
Speaker 1: It means that these two guys who retired essentially a long time ago are going to retrain, get back in a ring, and make a shit ton of money because this is going to happen. Ropes at the Sphere in Las Vegas. I haven't been there yet for a concert, but there's gorgeous thing saying it is a sphere period but it looks gorgeous. But some concerts have been taking place in there, but this will be the first boxing match to take place there. It's going to be on Netflix September nineteenth. Netflix. That's killing it there. Yeah, spark with these big events. These two first fought roads. You remember twenty fifteen Vegas. You were probably on the set when I was in that arena wo previewing it, and I called it it's the most exclusive room in the world because everybody wanted to be in there for that fight. It was a tough ticket.
Speaker 2: To get Woo and Mayweather won that one unanimous decision, and at the time they were viewed as the two best boxers on the planet.
Speaker 1: They made all that, they said, almost every record, and I think it still stands at seventy plus million at the gate, just at the gate. They're not talking about pay per view numbers, just tickets going into that thing.
Speaker 3: It's a world I don't understand.
Speaker 1: Seventy million dollars. Mayweather hasn't fought professionally since twenty seventeen. Pacquiao has stayed kind of active. But no matter what, they're past their prime. I want to say, they're watched up. But we'll watch it. We have to.
Speaker 2: Of course we're gonna watch it. You're putting that on the calendar right now, September nineteenth. In fact, maybe you're even looking at Vegas.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm trying to make sure we don't book other stuff. That's why that calendar is so important.
Speaker 3: Baby, got it, got it, got it all right.
Speaker 2: On this Tuesday, we will leave you with our quote of the day. This one spoke to me. I loved it. It's from Johann Wolfgang von Guette, who is that like an ancient philosopher, I shouldn't say ancient, but a much older, centuries old philosopher. Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm going to apply that to this Tourette's guy. Say it again for me, And I.
Speaker 3: Didn't even think about that.
Speaker 2: This is I'll treat people as if they were what they ought to be they ought to be, and you help them become what they're capable of being. And look, I actually think you do this a lot. Instead of only someone out, you treat them as if they know better. And so it's almost if someone hurled an insult at you or said something they shouldn't, He's like, I know you know better than that. Isn't that so much more effective than coming back with some sort of reaction or defense or anger. And it elevates everything and it gives people an opportunity to grow. And if that's what the goal is, which I would hope it would be, that actually makes so much sense. I just I loved this quote.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 1: I didn't. Yes, I do think it's great. I don't think about doing it, but you do.
Speaker 3: When I read this, I thought, you know, TJ does this a lot.
Speaker 1: I'm struggling with it with mister Davidson, I understand, get into it later.
Speaker 2: Yes, we will, all right, And with that everyone, thank you for running with us. I'm made me Robot, and I'm TJ. Holmes talks him