Speaker 1: The Patriots had a walk through on day three, but don't worry. We're here to break down what we've seen over the first three days of Patriots training camp.
Speaker 2: Let's get into it.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Patriots Training Camp cast presented Buying New Balance. Day three f they went down to a walk through.
Speaker 3: Not a ton to sitting sound too excited about that.
Speaker 2: I was excited about it. Though it seemed like they were getting a little bit into third down.
Speaker 1: You know, you've seen both sides of the ball putting some tweaks in still some first second down stuff, so you know, I thought this was an opportunity maybe to regroup a little bit and just how we're feeling about things. First though, generally heard from Mike Rable this morning. You were in there, I was out pumping the crowd up. Would you take away from Brable this morning?
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of.
Speaker 3: Gay back as questions as you could imagine about his contract and reports about his contract. But I think the biggest takeaway was, you know, somebody asked him if he was in jeopardy of missing the season or anything like that, and he said that he doesn't anticipate that at all. So I think that we're hoping that we're gonna see Gay back as sooner rather than later. It seems like that's the general sentiment some off season award winners, if.
Speaker 2: You're into that sort of thing to it.
Speaker 3: A lot of the year two guys got recognized. Will Campbell, Jared Wilson, Kyle Williams in Elijah Ponder were the four guys that they gave off season awards too. So we're able just highlighting the fact that last year's rookies really came in this offseason and stepped things up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, important players too.
Speaker 1: I mean, guys you're looking forward to hopefully make a jump, especially Elijah Ponder here as we see you know, Acus Landry.
Speaker 2: Hopefully they work their way back in little housekeeping though.
Speaker 1: Reggie Gilliam back at the walk through, of course it's just to walk through.
Speaker 2: But I think he said it was a veteran rest day. Yeah, like a maintenance da.
Speaker 3: I think some of these guys Morgan moses, it was another one that he put in this category. But I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot of those older guys Hunter, Henry, Morgan Moses, you know, players like that that some days they might not do as much as others.
Speaker 1: You gotta get your fullback ready for that day one of pads when you're going to probably put the ball on the goal line and there's going to be some some collisions going on. But you know, overall, we've now watched three practices and you know middle pads are going to come on this week, so we're all excited for that. But still a lot to take away. And I would just start with the secondary. Think you have most of those guys coming back. You added Kevin Bayern, coming off his third All Pro season, led the NFL seven interceptions.
Speaker 2: We've seen those guys active early.
Speaker 1: Thankfully, Christian Gonzalez has been out there participating, but he's been around the ball. We heard from AJ Brown today talking a little bit about their matchup.
Speaker 2: On the first day.
Speaker 1: Craig Woodson comes up with an interception, we heard from him today. You know, felt good to get his hands on the ball this early in camp.
Speaker 2: Carlton Davis with a pass break up.
Speaker 1: Instagram Romeo right down the line, and you know, even Marcus Jones just flying all over the place.
Speaker 2: I mean, his speed and how will they use him?
Speaker 1: Just really impressive early days of camp to me, These guys are the key takeaway.
Speaker 2: They've been kind of dominating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like all off season because we as we do, we talk about the concerns and things that might prevent us from, you know, hoisting a Lombardi Trophy in February, and we talked so much about the pass rush and the lack of edge rushers and things like that. Well, it helps when you're you know, the quarterback has to hold the ball because the secondary is you know, got everybody locked down. So I think that that's what you're hoping is that there's a lot invested in this back end, with Christian Zales maybe even being more invested in Christian Zalez here soon. But carl and Davis is under contract, Marcus Jones is under contract, You signed Byered, you draft Woods, and so there's a lot of guys that they've invested a lot in. And I think what you hope is that the playoffs last year were a precursor to what's going to happen this season where you can blitz a little bit more. You can get exotic up front to get guys free in the pass rush, even though you don't necessarily have that Miles Garrett type maybe the quarterback having to hold the football a little bit extra that will allow the pass rushers to get home.
Speaker 1: Second thing, I want to talk about just the wide receiver group because I think it's a really stack group. And you know, we talked a lot about kase Shaan Boody this offseason, and here's Kishan Boody first two days of practice coming down with tough catches.
Speaker 2: It's what he does.
Speaker 1: Just keeps showing up, keeps making plays. But you know, I just I watch you have you got the two fields going. They've got Kyle Williams going, They've got Mac Collins, they've got Pop Douglas heavily involved. Of course, all eyes are on AJ Brown and Romeo Dobbs, the new guys to see how they're fitting in. But you know, this is a year where not just the talent has improved, but they still have a lot of depth.
Speaker 2: And I'm just that's what.
Speaker 1: I'm most curious about going through camp. How does that all play out and who ends up sticking and really being the core guys that they're gonna roll with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good point, and I feel like at times in practice I see guys running with groups that I wouldn't expect them to run with because there's so much depth there that they just need to get Mac Collins a rent. So he might be repping with Tommy DeVito and you're like, wait a second. Mac Collins is a veteran guy in this league that caught the only touchdown in the Super Bowl the Patriots scored, and he's repping with the twos and threes. That's a little odd, but they have so much depth at that position, as you mentioned, And I'll admit it, all off season, I've been kind of on the trade caseh on booty train, but he's winning me over. And I think you two things. One, he deserves a lot of credit for that. He deserves a lot of credit for showing up. And I think he showed up the same way in Mini camp, in shape and just making plays and making impossible to move on from him. And I think he deserves a lot of credit for that. And the other thing, you know, you see him Aj Brown, Romeo Dobbs moving around the formation a lot, and guys running routes out of the slot, sometimes running routes outside, and I'm starting to see, Okay, maybe we can figure this thing out where you know Keaishan BOUDI sometimes he's the big slot. Sometimes AJ Brown is the power slot, and they just kind of move off that exposition a little bit more than what they have in their past. So I'm warming up to it. I think that there's a you know, they're exploring different ways to try to get all three of those guys on the field at the same time.
Speaker 1: Last thing, Drake May I mean, let's talk about him a little bit. Yesterday Kevin Bier said defense usually starts out a little bit in front of the offense. I mean, I thought over those two practices. I mean, he made some throws, but I think he also missed some throws. I think he you know, there was a there was a blitz yesterday Carlton Davis off the edge. It looked like they kind of got him on that one. Maybe a little bit of a slow start for Drake. I mean, I don't want to push the panic button or anything like that. We just heard from AJ Brown who's like, yeah, they're not really letting them throw it yet, So you know, the best just still yet to come. But I think he's kind of set the stage here for this second week of training camp. As we get the pads on, we start to look forward to join practices for you know, Drake, AJ Brown, Romeo Dobs start to turn up the volume a little bit and start making some plays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought what Aj Brown said about him not really throwing the ball a ton yet it kind of rung true to me because it's just he's a rhythm quarterback and I think that, you know, it might be hard for him. Are going to get three reps here, three reps there, and then we're going to hand it off and like all these different things that they're doing, and they don't just play, and at some point in training camp, we're going to get a string of eighteen straight Drake May reps and we'll see the real Drake May that we saw all of last season. So I'm not concerned about it by any means. I would also mention AJ Brown, Romeo Dobbs a little bit of Eli rerit into new faces, new guys that he's thrown the football to. So I think if I'm not concerned, but if there's one thing I want to see a little bit more of, it's some chemistry with those new guys. I think that all three of those guys, especially Brown, dobs. It might be a little bit of a slower burning before we start to see them really efficient and hitting on all cylinders because they're getting used to each other. And that's another thing that Brown talked about was communication and knowing where the ball is going to be, if the coverage is in a certain area, and you know those little details that right now, that's the time of year to work it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Well that's day three.
Speaker 1: You'll walk through, probably ramp the pace up a little bit more on Tuesday with Wednesday will be an off day, and then we're looking at pads at the end of this week because we continue to ramp up in training camp. So we'll be back tomorrow with more takeaway from Patriots training camp.