Speaker 1: Everyone who stayed behind during the Woesley fire saved their house. I couldn't because I was in Vegas doing a charity show. What was your excuse for not saving my house? I got scared? Cash Show Cash sho Tosh Show Show. Welcome to Tosh Show, Eddie. How are you? I'm doing good? My son's here? Hit him with a hoodie? Who? He's not here? We just recorded that. Whenever I'm out in a crowded area, I'll just say to my son, just real quiet. I whispered to him, I say, hey, hit him with the hoodie who? And he'll just scream and it just makes me laugh. Usually makes people laugh around us. So now I'm gonna do it on the show. I'm gonna start using it. Hit him again. Oh guess what what? I was going in the bathroom the other day. Okay, this is not a poop story, so calm down. I was going in the bathroom and I found a tick crawling around on my waistline. H yeah, a real tick. And I'm like it hadn't burrowed in now. I noticed. A few weeks ago, I went on a little rant about lime disease and how they have to be in you for thirty six hours, and people told me I was way off. Those ticks, those deer ticks can be so tiny that you don't even notice that they're on you. You don't feel it or anything like that that I expect. This tick is what I'm familiar with, which is basically a dog tick, and they don't I looked it up. They don't carry lime disease, but they if they bite you and start going in, you're gonna feel it. Okay, that's when you take a matchhead and touch them on the button make them back up. I don't know how it works anyway. I had a tick crawling around on me. That's Carl's fault. I think they live on the I got a lot of rabbits on the property. They carry a lot of ticks, is what I'm told. Oh, well, not a big thing. No, I don't think it's a big thing. I mean it could be. Listen, I'm living on a farm.
Speaker 2: You got a farm going on over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I guess what what, I'm gonna start working out? I think? I think I am ok. But here's I know. People look at me and they say that guy what he doesn't need to work out his body? Looks perfect, handsome, well just chiseled. But here's the problem. I've been driving recently and I've been feeling my stomach and tits shaking in the car. You have a ride on a road that's got like like a bump every few seconds, and and then all of a sudden, you're just like You're just like, oh, I'm just I'm just jiggling while I'm driving. This is this is making me feel really like, it's making me feel bad about myself. Yeah, I was just like, no, I'm not talking about rum. I'm talking just this natural, uneven pavement that's making me shake while I'm driving, and I'm and I'm grossed out by myself. I'm like, I gotta tighten this all up. So I'm gonna give it a shot right now. I'm gonna try to just eat less and uh play more like what a lot of times when I uh play with my kids, I kind of facilitate the games. And I think now I'm gonna get myself more involved. I'm gonna physically get involved. Normally if they're like kicking a ball, you know, I don't I don't really hustle. I think I'm gonna start hustling and see if I can stop my tits and stomach from shaking while I'm driving over a bridge. A bridge is where you get those seams in the road and you're like, oh, and when you feel it, you're you're like, oh, that's not that's that's new. I don't like it. Speaking of dad bods, my buddy's on the show today. My favorite Spaniard this is. Let me tell you something about today's guest. This guy has been in my life for eight years, but like every day for eight years, and my wife hated it. She was she couldn't stand how much how much time I spent with him. All right, listen, the heart wants what the heart wants.
Speaker 2: Enjoy Pasha, my guest today has built my home in Malibu twice because the first one burned down.
Speaker 1: He's a surfer, a builder, an architect, and my favorite Spanish person not yet to be deported. Please welcome Sergio o la comusda. No, do you believe in ghosts? I do? Actually, I know you're from Spain. Yes, the beautiful village of where you from Alga. I was born in Malaga, Malaga.
Speaker 3: That's that's where we were born. Because my hometown is too small back in the days to have a hospital or anything like that. So we were rushed to the main city, which was Malaga, and then after you know, a couple of days, they take you to your village, you know, and that was Marea. Marea is a beautiful town area, Marea between I actually live in another town too, Stebona, Marea, like ten minutes away.
Speaker 1: You know, how close to the coast is that.
Speaker 3: That's right there? Like I was raised right on the beach in the Mediterranea and.
Speaker 1: You could wave to the people in Africa.
Speaker 3: Yes, I could see Africa from my house.
Speaker 1: Now you are a builder, like a manly builder, yes, a real builder. But you're also an architect. How did you get in this because your father who passed away a few years ago, a wonderful man, who was the butcher. Yes, in your hometown.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my family we were butcher for I mean since eighteen something, you know. Like my great great grandmother was already a butcher.
Speaker 1: She was a butcher.
Speaker 3: She was the butcher of the town, like the butcher of the town all the generations up to me. I was raised in the butcher, you know, cutting meat when I.
Speaker 1: Was a kid, and when you're in the family of a butcher, you you're kind of royalty in the town.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you have expensive, tough you know.
Speaker 1: But every place that you went they like treated you guys with respect your family because you yes the restaurants, they would take care of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean up Maria ended up being like the Beverly Hills of Europe, like super expensive that all the celebrities will go over there. And my father specifically at that time know of the butcher when it became really fancy. All the town we served the meat to, like people from on Assis to the Kennedys to the young Board you like Tennis, so the young Board wedding. I remember as a kid taking the meat for his wedding.
Speaker 1: Did the doll ever get to tasted?
Speaker 3: I'm a hundred percent sure. So that was where I was raised, you know. And then all of the sudden I told my father that I wanted to be an architect, really early on, I was eight years old.
Speaker 1: Was he upset or was he like, no, this is good. No, he was happy.
Speaker 3: The only thing is kind of an interesting story here because I got my eye. I hit my eye with the rock playing with my friends, no, Accidentally.
Speaker 1: I was like a hate crime.
Speaker 3: So I had a bleeding in my eye. So they had to take me to a hospital right away, and they actually flew me to Barcelona to the Barracker Eye Daughter, which was one of the best still is in for eye daughters in Europe, because I was losing my vision. I remember that. And I arrived there and my mother is holding me. I was like six years old, seven years old, you know, and my mother was plaining to me the building and my eyes were closed. I cover everything and my mother was planning me the spiral stairs and things like that. And I say to my mother at that moment that I wanted to be a builder, I mean an architect, and.
Speaker 1: If you're going to go blind, and my mother was like, oh yeah, sure. But I ended up beat.
Speaker 3: The Barracker fixed my eyes and I went all over the world standing architecture, study architecture in cevi yeale.
Speaker 1: You went to a fancy school here in Los Angeles too, right, Yeah, sire? How many tests you have to do to become an architect?
Speaker 3: I took ten tests? You took ten? Yeah, I don't know how many times did you fail them?
Speaker 1: And never fail it? You never failed a single test. And yet I know tons of people that take these tests. They can't pass a single one.
Speaker 3: I did it all in one shot.
Speaker 1: Now, I interviewed a handful of architects and then a handful of builders, and you one because you're like, hey, I just want to surf every day with you.
Speaker 3: That was the main reason everything started. Because you wanted to leave right next to the job site.
Speaker 1: That's your nightmare, right, yeah, this.
Speaker 3: Is the worst nightmare for a bill, for a builder is.
Speaker 1: To have their client live on the job side. That's like, no, you have to understand that. Sergio and I every day. I would spend all day with him, like for years, for years, just you know, and we.
Speaker 3: Would Daniel like I would be working in the job site, a busy morning always no like with the guys. There's probably like twenty thirty guys working in the house, and and Daniel is like, at nine am, he's like testing me, when are we going surfing?
Speaker 1: You know? Oh, well that those are good days when I'm in a good mood. It's better better surfing than when I'm angry about stuff.
Speaker 3: And then I like, I can't go, Yeah, I have a meeting, you know, have this and and then Daniel will come up, you know with like barefoots in the job site. Come on, get your shoes on, you know where we.
Speaker 1: Go serve for an hour or two. Now do you think that affected how long it took you to build my house?
Speaker 3: Obviously, you know, I mean we're surfing.
Speaker 1: How come you can't actually predict how long projects will take?
Speaker 3: It's very complicated. There's too many things, especially you know, we the kind of work we do is not usually people do in construction. We are in the company. We are like six seven architects. We each kind of take a project and we are like very focused on the design, on the detailing. So we all back and forth trying to get the idea of the project. You know, all resolved very nicely. And it's not that it's no shortcuts, you know, as you know, I mean your house is a masterpiece of like detailing.
Speaker 1: No, that's not. I mean a lot of times the project manager on a build site doesn't have the experience that you have. Yeah, I mean that's fair, right, Yeah, I mean when I was interviewing these guys, a lot of the project managers were a little too I don't know what the word is, like a redneck too rough. Yeah, real builders. Well I don't know, just say it was like you just and then you are a surfer. When did you start surfing?
Speaker 3: I was thirteen years old in Portugal, the first thing I got in the war.
Speaker 1: But you're more of a just so people know, you're not a traditional short porter. Your old school, you longboard. You like to write first point in Malibu. You like to hang ten, you like to just pose, you do your thing. We used to surf constantly, and then since you finished my job, I would argue that you have quit surfing.
Speaker 3: Kind of, but it's gonna be temporary. It's gonna be temporary. I'm building my house now too, so I'm like super busy.
Speaker 1: You're building your house. By the way, he's building his house in an area in the mountains. It's it's it's beautiful. It's like there's not a lot built around there. But the reason that you build picked this lot was one day we were at the Old Place restaurant, just coincidentally at the same time my wife and I. You were eating with your family there and then my wife you What did my wife say to you?
Speaker 3: So I don't know if everybody knows the Old place is a really tiny, beautiful western kind of building.
Speaker 1: No h.
Speaker 3: Really loud inside. And I'm talking to Carly, your wife, and you're talking to Lorena, my wife. That's the way I like it. And Curly, you know, in the middle of all these sounds, she tells me you should find a place to live around here, you know. You know, like in the movies they do this that they isolate the sound, you know, and they all all you listening that very clearly in your ears, you know, and it came right into my brain, like you know, she's right, this is where I should be living, you know. So after we have a lunch in there and all that we were living, and instead of making a right towards you know, the freeway to go back to Santa Monica, I told my wife said, you know what, don't we make a left and see the neighborhood here and we go make a left. One block away. There's a sign or sale of an empty law that was in a Sunday and on Friday, I own the law.
Speaker 1: Yep, you see that, you guys. My wife manipulated another man, another man, so I should bring this up away. Your wife way too attractive for you, agree, Ah, it's almost confusing. Now she's is she half Mexican half Chinese? Yes, Ah, she's a beautiful woman. Oh does she ever say things to you like, hey, Sergio, why don't you maybe you need it a little bit? Does she ever say tune it up a little bit? She does? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh, and I have to keep up, you know. Okay, it's one of the difficult when there's such a difference in beauty.
Speaker 1: Let's say, you know, you got to keep it up, you know, and but are you keeping it up? You don't look as you For a while there you were looking like a sea lion. But now you're starting to get back into shape a little bit. Yeah, but you're not doing anything to get in shape or no, of course not. Your brother is he older younger?
Speaker 3: He's a you know, half older.
Speaker 1: He's older than you, but yet looks ten year younger than you, Lise. And he's just sexy, and he just lives in Spain and just all the women love him.
Speaker 3: He's dangerously sexy. Like I cannot introduce like to a happy couple, like I'd be scared to like introduce you with your wife. You know, you have a beautiful relationship. You think you would take my wife. I think so, But the problem will be your wife, that's the problem.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: They all questions like what I'm doing you know that I cannot take advantage of. Maybe it's running and lover.
Speaker 1: You want to talk about the time my wife was infuriated with you? You might now, Rune. First of all, you once walked in on my wife changing. Do you remember that, really you saw her completely naked? Yeah? She remembers that.
Speaker 3: What happens, you know, when you're building a house and you're there all the time, you know, huh.
Speaker 1: So okay, this this was a meeting that we had. The house was complete, but you know, there was things that we were going over a punch list. So one time we're in our bathroom and we're having a meeting in our bathroom. Now you have to understand our bathroom is is not and there's a separate door for the water closet for the toilet. We're having a meeting and there me, you, and like four or five other men, and we're going over the punch list. And then about ten minutes into the meeting, she finally just gives up and she comes out of the toilet. She'd been in there the whole time, and we were in there having a meeting, and she was so embarrassed. So and I got in so much. Truyn remember that too. I was like, well, we all know what you were doing in there, and she's like, well, I was was like she was contemplating staying, but she knew this meeting was probably going to go an hour. She's like, so she just give my walk out and she's like, you caught me. Oh that. She was furious about that. She also those things happened. Do you remember when she fell in the septic tank. I remember that day she fell into the septic tank.
Speaker 3: Because you know the whole complexity of like, we had the pulling one house next to the construction site. You were living in that guest house. So we were in the pool, and we weren't in the pool.
Speaker 1: We were talking up by the.
Speaker 3: You and I were in the jacuzzie.
Speaker 1: We were in the jacuzzi.
Speaker 3: We were in the yaguzzi, Okay, talking you know whatever. And and your wife decided to go to the guest house. Huh, And she just walk out go to the guest house. The lid on the septic tank wasn't it slipped out from underneath and she felt now the rant. There was a brand new septic tank that was clean and empty. But she fell up to like this and was holding herself. She was and she was screaming for Sergio and Daniel to come help her because she didn't have the strength. We're in the jacuzzi, there's bubbles, we don't hear anything. And fifteen twenty minutes later she comes walking up, all disheveled and and says, I fell into the septic tank. She's crying, no way, and she storms.
Speaker 1: Away from us. She was so mad, you guys, you know. And then I found out a few weeks later that she was she was pregnant, and that I think that's what did it.
Speaker 3: Getting sometimes a little yeah, shocked. I've helped, you know.
Speaker 1: Do you remember the time that you came back to the office and I had filled your trailer, uh with with gay pornography? Yeah, just so so you come back to your office on a Monday morning and there's nothing but gay pornography, ye, all throughout your posters. You know, I still have those posters.
Speaker 3: No, it was it was very strange because I was actually leaving to Spain that day. I think, like I was leaving early that day, I had another guy taking my place, you know what. I was going to Spain and so the other guys, what's going on in here?
Speaker 1: This is how I like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was like, well, if you feel uncomfortable, just take it down, you know.
Speaker 1: So he left it for him. Of course that's nice. You remember that one time. These these are the little things I would do what we always say to keep it clean, the worksite clean, totally to Olympia. That's all that's in my head forever.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I just would Olympia. Yes, I like the works that clean. But sometimes what I would do. I did this bit. One time. I took a band aid, a used band aid of mine, and I had put it placed it somewhere on the floor in the work site. And then a moment or two later I went and got Sergia, and then we're walking around and then I'm like, Sergia, look there's like a band aid on the ground. And I picked it up and I ate it. Yes, I remember that, and you were like freaking out. God, I'm like, if you're not going to clean up, I'm gonna eat these things and he ate it. Well, yes, but it was my band aid. So, oh God, this Those are just the silly things we did. Now, everyone who stayed behind during the Woesley fire saved their house. I couldn't because I was in Vegas doing a charity show. What was your excuse for not saving my house? I got scared?
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 1: I remember that.
Speaker 3: I was like, Okay, the fire started, you were in Las Vegas or whatever. I came next day. The fire was coming closer. Everybody was leaving Malio. There were a line of under pas going towards Santa Monica, like literally, yeah, And I was driving the other way towards your house. You know.
Speaker 1: Do you think if we would have stayed there, you and I, we could have stopped it. I think so I needed you there with me. Yeah, I should have listen. I was doing God's work. But you just started the very next day cleaning up. I've got photos of you in a hazmat suit, just just the next day. We didn't even wait for permits, and they by time we had cleaned up, they were like, hey, do you guys have a permit to clean this up? And we're like, we're done. Most of the workers they build your homes are Mexican, Yes, they do. They treat you differently because you're from Spain or No.
Speaker 3: I have the best relationship with the workers, best relationship. I always take care of them.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. I take it very serious. I love them. I mean, well, there's so many of these guys that I got to meet. Now. I see them on other job sites, so I just yell at them, you know, whenever I see them, and we have a good time. The concrete guys, they're intense. Oh, I love those guys. The framing people. I don't care much about framing guys. Framing people, they always just make mistakes. You build houses and then you're just like people are like, oh yeah, yeah, we know that's wrong. We'll fix that later. I'm oh, Jesus, how many times have you You've been mad? And we've been in screaming fights.
Speaker 3: You know, we had our things, but we probably such an intimate relationship. I mean, I'm building in your house, you know, inside where you basically are all the time, where I'm pooping or you're pooping, and you have.
Speaker 1: You ever seen me poop outside? So many problems.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people know these like he has this, he can panic if he doesn't have a toilet clothes, you know, but many times we are like getting ready to go surfing, you know, and I put my sweatsuit on everything, I'm ready to go in the golf cart.
Speaker 1: And then we're like, okay, we're gonna go.
Speaker 3: And then all of a sudden, it's like Daniel turns pale, you know, sorry, I gotta go, I gotta go. I mean, he just run to the toilet, you know. Yeah, And I'm waiting, I'm waiting for him. And then finally he comes back, like because he gets scared, Like we're gonna go for two hours far away from a toilet, you know.
Speaker 1: No, the ocean is a huge toilet for me. One time we went surfing. You cut your foot like like a you know whatever, two inches. No, it was not a big cut, all right, he had a no cut. Oh my god, it doesn't matter half of us. That, what's it? It's because you don't ever lose, you don't scrub your feet. You have too much dead skin down there. Anyway, it was a big cut. Fine, I'll let you have that. But but I'm not gonna let you have is the rest of the story. You weren't feeling well and you're like can I And I said, I'll just give you two Tailenel two extra strength Thailand all. That's it, nothing fancy. He started to kill me. He starts freaking out. He goes, what what what did you give me? And I said, oh, to Thailand all. And he goes, let me see, let me see the box. And I give him the box and it says extra strength on it, and he goes, it's just extra strength. I don't take drugs. I don't take drugs. And he starts gagging himself. He starts gagging himself and like he had taken some poison to make himself vomit to get the pills up, which he eventually did. Oh my god. Yes, he had never taken thailand All before, which doesn't do anything anyway.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't take those things, you know, But you give me two it's west overdose.
Speaker 1: Did that's what you did before you met me? Had you ever heard of me before? No?
Speaker 3: Well that doesn't mean anything. I don't watch the TV too.
Speaker 1: No, it's just very insulting. Well and it's not I don't know anything. Have you ever seen one of my shows? A little bit? Yeah? Not really, it's not your cup of tea. We hang out for seven or eight years. He's like, I'm not gonna watch you. You're awful.
Speaker 3: I think you're very, very funny. I left with you so much.
Speaker 1: Where would you where would you rank my house and the projects that you've done.
Speaker 3: I think it's the best. You know, it's the best I ever done. Well, that's nice to hear, I guess because I had to do it two times. So the second time was you had to the.
Speaker 1: Main house twice but me. But but the way it did a very good architecture, you know, and you modeled your home after my guesthouse.
Speaker 3: Many, yes, many ideas.
Speaker 1: I have to say.
Speaker 3: You know, I have the privilege of working with the best architects and the best clients too that they care about design.
Speaker 1: So you just steal their ideas a little bit, you know. Okay, that's we all do that, okay. And then and also speaking of stealing, how many things on your project right now for your home that you're building. We're actually at one point ordered for my house. They're gonna take me to jail now, No, no, no, I'm the one that would have to say that that there's a problem. I would be like, no, I didn't, I didn't need that. But then all of a sudden, I see it. I go to your place and look at stuff, and I go, hey, that looks familiar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're gonna see a lot coming.
Speaker 1: Sometimes. My tile, my concrete tiles, You're like, you need to order more, and I'm like, are you sure that doesn't seem like that? And you say, no, no, you need more, and then make sure how much I need and then and then sure enough, one one of your bathrooms is going to have my same tile.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna put for I have many tiles from you, but I have for for your left your kitchen tile, those cementals that are so gorgeous, that's going to go for sure in my adu. I'm going to make a wall out of that wall. Yeah, on my on my kitchen there. I like that and it's kinda amazing. And I have some more left towers that I'm going to see where I'm gonna put it. Then I have other tiles that I you know, I'm going to use the main house the door that yeah, I have a whole doors ten door of the garage.
Speaker 1: Right, And that makes it makes sense that you used it on a garage where we had it was in a powder room and it made it look like it was the detective office because it was like Smoke hated it.
Speaker 3: You hated it, and I was like Carly and I were like, not a fan.
Speaker 1: I got toilets too. You got toilets for me, not the fancy one. You did get the fancy one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like a five thousand dollars toilet.
Speaker 1: That's not my fancy one.
Speaker 3: Then no, well the real, real fancy one that came later. Yeah, well I have the one that you didn't like.
Speaker 1: It. You didn't like because I left poop stained every time you went. You know, what are you gonna do with that? It's okay, ye, your your wife is gonna hate you for that one. Do you remember this story? Huh?
Speaker 3: Like you were in to or something. I don't know, you were working, traveling or something. And it's like then it's like calling me and said, yo, can you go and poop on my toilet and take a picture after you flash it?
Speaker 1: Okay, because I want to make sure that it was clean, you know, like it really flashes.
Speaker 3: Well, you know this is like okay, and like on the job side, Okay, guys, I'm gonna poop in here.
Speaker 1: You know, you don't have to tell them. You can just go. Nobody's asking you. So was I a relatively easy person to work with? Yeah? Really, I think I didn't think you were going to say that.
Speaker 3: Well, it's like everything, but a builder likes to be pumper, you know, like like and you are very good at that, like you yeah, pumpering, like like take me out for incredible lunches. Remember, oh yeah, we're trying to speed you up a little bit. Remember the seafood We got lobsters and everything. Yeah, and like that kind of thing. You know, we builders love that, you know, that kind of treatment, you know, I know.
Speaker 1: But now I can't even get you to hang out. You're just gone all the time. Pierre my French friend. You competitive with Pierre? You like Peer, you hate Pierre. Well, it's the relationship between Spain and France. You know, who's got better food Spain or France Spain? It's not even close? Not close art. Who's better at art? Though?
Speaker 3: I mean Belascus? Yeah, you name it, Picasso, Picasa?
Speaker 1: Where's he from?
Speaker 3: You from my hometown? I was born like two locks away from.
Speaker 1: Him, two blocks away from comedy? Who does comedy better? Spain, France or the United States? I think it's great. Is there a comedy seen in Spain? Yeah, basically in the south Spain, the south. Yeah, we are.
Speaker 3: We are having found all the time. If you're from the southest Spain, they know that you're like almost like a comedian, you know, because we always having fun laughing about everything.
Speaker 1: Who's Who's better? Builders?
Speaker 3: Absolutely Spain, I mean we have one of the best architectures in the world. You love architecture, Yeah, that's my passion.
Speaker 1: Yeah. A famous architect went to your wedding. True.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Michael Rotundi. He was one of the founders of Marpha and more than anything, he was the director of Sire for ten years and he was crucial educator for many architects in Los Angeles and in the world. Incredible teacher.
Speaker 1: Who is the greatest architect of all time?
Speaker 3: Miss vander Roe? Who's that was an architect from Germany that later on came into the United States. He did the Cigarettes building in Manhattankay, many other ones including the Barcelona Pavilion, beautiful little building. He's an architect and understood repetition, okay, symmetry and also being able to kind of stop time and it makes these contemplation images of the landscape is framing of the landscape at the Farnworthhouse in Chicago.
Speaker 1: What's the deal with Frank Lloyd? Right? Well, do I have to care about him? Absolutely? Okay, there is that.
Speaker 3: One of a very interesting buildings by friend lock right is the gug Him Museum in Manhattan in New York, where I don't know if you've seen it. It's like a spiral. You come up in the elevator and then you see the gallery. It's all about time. It's a it's time moving through space. You know.
Speaker 1: It's how can I explain it to you, Daniel? You can't?
Speaker 3: Do you know the Disney Concert Hale, No, the little flower like that would the Stainless Dell. That's the complete opposite of the goug And High Museum in New York. It's about space. It's about space, coming opening up, La, It's all about space. Guen Him Museum is about time. Time is way more important in art.
Speaker 1: Okay, guys, this is you're getting a glimpse of what my days were like every day when my house is being built, where I would ask like, hey, how come this bathroom wall isn't finished yet? And then he would go on a forty five minute conversation about time and space and just be like, all right, what architect do you do you think is overrated? Or do you not like is there buildings or are homes that I can't stand their work? Or do you just not say that because it's not good for business. No, but you know, I don't know. It's hard to like. I just don't. I can tell you architects. I like the Japanese guy that works only in concrete. You think he's a genius, Rightwando from Japan. I'm not into it. It's just pure, just concrete blocks. I'm like, that's to me, it's very very good. Oh yeah, it's very monolithic. I love monolithic. You love you love things that look monolithic. You're always like, look at this.
Speaker 3: I'm from South Spain and we have we know you've said, tis like the Alhambra. You know, well, this is like the ultimate monolithic walls, you know, sitting on the landscape.
Speaker 1: Where yet on brutalist architecture.
Speaker 3: It's good architecture should be kind of brutal, because he's a building should be made hustan the time. This is what I enjoy when I go to Spain or the Hambra. I went to Rome and I see buildings that have been up for two thousand years and they look more beautiful.
Speaker 1: Wait, what's the architect that invented data slide in that city in Spain where everybody gets hurt? Do you know what I'm saying about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it wasn't designed by an architect, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: It's the most dangerous slide you've ever seen in his town. Yeah. Like, well, they have to shut it off. Like the opening, Grandma's and children. We're going three hundred miles an hour down this huge slide.
Speaker 3: There is a change of height, knowing from one street high up to the lower street. And the developer of that area get together with the politicians, say why don't we do a slide, you know, So I get to build all these units, you know, and then I build you this park with a slide that goes all the way to the other street down there. The day of the opening, the whole town is there, fresh up, you know, and they they say, okay, it's open, you know, and they started people throwing themselves through the slide and they just like you know, people breaking the legs, burning that because it was like stainless steel you know, burning the whole leg you know, you know, it was a disaster, so they had to stop it.
Speaker 1: You know it good?
Speaker 3: What is flamenco in music? There is a few hot spots for music in the world. Okay, Flamenco is very because it's very deep. It's like in America and the blues, you know, but the blues, like the blues that they play just with the hands, maybe like really like slavery blues.
Speaker 1: You know, I guess I don't know. I don't really familiar with the hand slavery blues.
Speaker 3: It came up from Africa, you know, I mixed with European like the gypsy coming from Romania, and that created the flamenco.
Speaker 1: Do you listen to it all the time? Every time I listened to your whatever you're listening, it's just the worst club music, like a bea abisa no no no, you like you love? Yeah, yeah, well love, but this is not what I listened. No, But you do rock out to some clubs, of course. We mean, of course that's you're always like, listen to this song.
Speaker 3: For us, it's like for like like, well, I kind of pump it up a little bit when I see you because I know you make fun of me.
Speaker 1: Ah, what's your thoughts on gaspacho?
Speaker 3: And know it's from my region of Spain, so I.
Speaker 1: Don't care, Sergio. Do you like it? Do you love love it?
Speaker 3: But okay, here's the The ingredients are very important. I have the privilege of my brother growing his own veggies for the gaspacho in the summer.
Speaker 1: That's why his body.
Speaker 3: Saw grows on veggies top body. And so when I go, I mean the tomatoes he grows. It's called balls of the bull because they're like hanging like that, really large and incredible favor frey or no acidity, and it's just that's a perfect tomato to do the patch.
Speaker 1: My wife makes caspacho using cherry tomatoes, and it's a little explanation on that. I'm teasing. I don't know, and no she does. She actually hates caspachio. But he would admit Italy has better tomatoes.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, the tomatoes more from the south. The Salmoreco is from the south from where I am.
Speaker 1: No, so your tomatoes are comparable to Italy tomatoes, way better than it is. I didn't see that coming. I didn't see that coming. Don't even get me started on sardines. You know, Oh I don't. I'm I don't care that much.
Speaker 3: You haven't been in you having ate the sardines from my town.
Speaker 1: You're very proud of Spain. You have a lot of pride in your.
Speaker 3: Co very, very proud, you know. I think it's the best country in the world.
Speaker 1: But now you are no longer allowed to go back. Is that true?
Speaker 3: I can go there any time in a while.
Speaker 1: You have dual citizenship. You're you know you became When did you become a citizen in the US.
Speaker 3: Maybe like fifteen years fifteen years ago. But I can go back and for you go back for my kids.
Speaker 1: You go back usually every summer, and you pull one of the craziest husband moves I've ever ever witnessed. You have your wife and your two kids go ahead of you fly to Spain, and then you go two weeks later, So you get two weeks to be by yourself here and you don't have to travel with the children. Now, now your kids are a little bit older, But back in the day when they were just babies, you were like, no, no, she does the flight by herself.
Speaker 3: She goes for two and a half months with the kids, and I only go three weeks, so I get all that by myself.
Speaker 1: Here. You know, what's the best region in Spain? And is that where you're from?
Speaker 3: Well, yes, that's where I'm from. But I'm biased, No, no, you'll say very biased. Every region is very different. It's it's hard to pick one because you're not you don't have apples to apples. Everything is just so different. But I'm from the South and that's kind of like, you know obviously what I like the things from the South. I like the people from the South. I like the food. I like the flamenco. You know.
Speaker 1: Pete Is is now a resident and bought property in Spain well through his through his wife and his wife's sister lives there full time, so now he he feels like he is a local in Spain. It's probably the best move. What region do you live in, Pete astorias.
Speaker 3: A Studios Astoria You know you hate that. I love as you love it because, okay, I mean the quality of the food there, it's not comparable to anything in the planet. I mean plan on the health planet. I'm talking about, for example, the Capaalst cheese you know from there, from the mountains of the because of Roba is the most expensive cheese in the world. It's like a little cheese this big, like a four pound It's twenty five thousand dollars dollars for a little cheese that shepherd makes in the middle of the mountain.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm gonna make a case ad from my kids with that cheese.
Speaker 3: This is what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: The beef. I mean, the beef is a studios. It's good.
Speaker 3: Very close to a studio is Leon and Leon has the number one beef restaurant in the world.
Speaker 1: Shocking. Yeah, you sound like Trump just always talking about it, but like you're like the Spaniard version.
Speaker 3: And just saying number one everything and just saying the true The seafood over there that I mean, you can. You don't need to go anywhere else in the world. Once you get used to the food there and you go somewhere else, you know that you're gonna eat horrible.
Speaker 1: You know, Should I buy one of these houses? It's one dollar in Spain? Do they have Yeah, those offered in Spain. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about. Up in the hills in the middle of nowhere. They if you buy them for one dollar, but then you have to agree to renovate them and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: One hundred percent recommend that you do.
Speaker 1: Oh brother, that's gonna cost me, isn't it.
Speaker 3: There's actually a lot of people doing this now in Spain. It's just going far away in the middle of the country.
Speaker 1: Do you think you'll ever move back there permanently or no?
Speaker 3: Yes, you think you will? Yeah, I interesting. I have to figure out, you know, but I can't, you know, just be here. I miss spaying a lot.
Speaker 1: Why not have two places a place there in a place here.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's fine, that's but I have to go more than a month a year, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like I have to say. You're gonna want your youngest son, you know, we're talking about ten years from now? Yeah, yeah him? Yeah, yeah, I gotta How big is your pa a pan? Well?
Speaker 3: Min, you haven't seen my new one?
Speaker 1: You got a new pa pan. Yes, I'm going to do a point bit. It's pretty big. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can feel like easily like twenty people.
Speaker 1: You know, twenty people.
Speaker 3: It has a three ring burner with independence, so I can control everything.
Speaker 1: One time you were telling me, like we have to do pay a, we have to do pay a. I'm like, fine, we'll do it. And then you're like, okay, I don't actually know how to do it. I have a friend that does my pie for me, and you're gonna like, maybe you're gonna make me bring another guy to my house for me. No, I'm not inviting another member. So then you're like, no, no, okay, fine, I'll do it. So then in Tahoe you came. You always talked about the thing that's the most important pie is being level. Everything has to be.
Speaker 3: Level, very important. So when you have a level the liquid it's the same amount, so the rice will cook evenly.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: If you are off a little bit, there's more water and more dry in another area, so the rice is not gonna cook at the same.
Speaker 1: You don't season enough, is what I'd like to say. See some.
Speaker 3: Like this, like it's the you put like the safran and.
Speaker 1: I still have some of the fancy seats on the many you gave us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well the piment tone you know I give Danny when if we finished the house finally, you like, I give you a little I know.
Speaker 1: And then my wife made pi a one time and you stood next don't get mad. You stood next to her and you critiqued her for over an hour, and she was losing her mind. She couldn't handle you just telling her what she was doing wrong for over an hour.
Speaker 3: Well the problem, okay, I think I know what happened. Actually, she took a recipe for fifteen people and put it in a little pan, a pan that I gave you four lights, three and a half people.
Speaker 1: A portions were wrong. Yeah, so she it needs to be the rasings.
Speaker 3: So when you know, when I when I get burnt, I remember when I got there to your house that day, Amanda comes to me and says, Sergio, SOO, you know Carl is cooking up yeah for you.
Speaker 1: You know, Like what yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: I'm like, okay, so you know, I go over there and I see her cooking my japan a mountain of right.
Speaker 1: She was not going a mountain of rising your pie.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh my god, what is that? I'm making up aya for you? You know, but look at this, this is like you know this I see her for like, I don't know, you.
Speaker 1: Can't cook it. Her proportions were off, that's what you're saying.
Speaker 3: So she took a recipe that I think my wife gave her to her or I don't know when she learned, when I cooked it in Tahoe whatever, and she put all that into a little pet.
Speaker 1: There's no good, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: It was like some kind of Chinese rice or something like that. You know.
Speaker 1: One time my wife cooked for your family and she made Mexican food. And your wife says to my wife, you know, as a Mexican woman says, oh, this is so many flavors, that's what she said, so many flavor I'm like, why would you cook Mexican food for a Mexican woman. I mean maybe she meant it as a compliment, but I don't think she did. And I don't remember that. This wasn't this was in Tahoe.
Speaker 3: Oh in Tahoe. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, something like that. And your wife is, yeah, I remember that now, yeah yeah that was didn't cut it, yeah.
Speaker 1: Didn't cut it. Now. Do you take naps every day? Yes?
Speaker 3: You know, because you've seen me sleeping in the car.
Speaker 1: That's right. You did used to take you used to go out your car and take naps. I take it today. It doesn't matter. I kind of do. I kind of function without it. How long do you nap for? Usually just all my.
Speaker 3: Life in Spain, and I know I can't tell you. Those are kind of things that are programming in my brain. I eat lunch and I fall asleep. I mean I'm fall asleep, not restling like fall asleep completely.
Speaker 1: I know I do the same thing. Do you remember how young you looked when you started working at my house? Yeah, h we're both aged and yeah we both aged. I was single. I'm coming to start now, I'm coming. You're not coming back, it's over. Hey, everybody's on the show gets some gifts, so let's start. Let's start giving you some gifts. That's the reason why. Okay, I know, by the way, what what where'd you get that shirt that you're wearing right now?
Speaker 3: This is the most comedian and give it to me.
Speaker 1: I've always given them clothes. Sergio is one of the one of the people that gets my clothes first dips. Yeah, he also is like for for a builder, you're you're pretty bougie. Yes, you care about brands. Like sometimes he would see something on me and goes, oh, I like that brand very much. I'm like okay, and then he would tell me, he goes, I've got a hookup in Palm Desert, at the James Purse outlet store, and she hides the good stuff that comes into the outlet store, lets me know. And then I go out there and I get to buy a bunch of stuff. Okay, here up for a couple of things. Here, there's just some nice sweaters for you. You likes what this is, Vince, you'll like them? Yeah, this is beautiful. Well, yeah, you'll like that.
Speaker 3: This is totally uh huh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got fun pockets to it, and it's got a here's another sweater, see that one as a hood Do you wear hoods ever?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I didn't think so. But don't take your coaster. Yeah, you'll like it. Now, you have tiny feet, not really, man, it's for a man for a.
Speaker 3: Billion excuse me, you have it's strangely a big feat.
Speaker 1: Okay, but your son, your son has man feet. He's using He's got like three or four parents. Now he's using there. Now I'm gonna blow his mind. Now I'm gonna blow his mind. This is gonna be for your son. Oh, this is gonna be for your son. He's gonna love that. Ok At this, we're just gonna give your son every Look at these shoes. These are some of these have never been worn. I know. Look at these. Oh, he's gonna love all these shoes. He's gonna love. Look at these shoes. Oh my good, Oh my god. Some of those there's some dirt on there. But you see like this is to be Look at this these shows, say Tosh point oh on him. Adidas made me a pair that said to my all right, you're saying that all these shoes, No, there might be forty pairs of Get that off my desk. Go ahead and put that over there. You can keep the bag too. I'm not done giving you, but get this off my desk so we can get to the next set of gifts. Get that sweater off my desk too. There's rocks on worth it. Hold on next next gift I have for you. I don't know why I found this today. If that, I know that because you change the model. I changed the model. So I want you for your house. I don't know if I can use that, but yeah you can. Oh yeah, this is a yep. This was in your in the little class. I remember leaving this in there. Well, now you're taking it back. It's it's really beautiful. It's really beautiful. I always thought about taking it, but you know, no, it's good. I always thought about taking it, all right, So you can take take this intercom because I want I want that. That's nice if we If you don't use it, that's fine. What else do I got for you? I don't know what these things are, but you left them. I don't want them. Yeah, that's a sip wall. Yeah, this is great. Here's some zip walls.
Speaker 3: This is like when we have to put temporary walls.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well I've never used those, so I don't know why they're in my house. I use it in your house. Actually, here, take this what is Oh no, no, that's no, that's not mine. There, it was left in my work site. It's got a dry creed in it. Whatever that drive cement stuff. Get a quick drive, quick dry whatever it is. You know, don't open it here.
Speaker 3: It's nasty, man, it's never that is not mine.
Speaker 1: How many photos are in your phone? Oh? I don't even know. You don't see I want to know nine sixty nine thousand. Yeah, I just no one takes more photos than you. And then like I'll call you in. I'll have a problem in my house and I'm like, hey, do you have photos? I need to know if it's a straight shot from the telephone poll to I need to know if this conduit is a straight or if there's a junction box. And you're like, hold on, and you scroll through sixty nine thousand photos and you're like, I think it's a straight shot. It's a straight shot. You're good. Explain your plan to get rid of Wilshire Boulevard, a major road that runs the entire length of Los Angeles, and turn it only into a pedestrian road.
Speaker 3: Las Angele has a couple of problems. One needs to say. Public space is a disaster, you know, like we don't have a good public space. Like you go to any European cities and you see a plaza or something like that.
Speaker 1: It's so active.
Speaker 3: You know, here, pluses are half empty, parks are one hundred percent empty. And the reason there is only there is a reason is because everybody has a park in their home, backyard and front yard. You know, we have so much open space. Los Angeles is a very low density city, and when we make a park, it's not relevant you know for the urbanistically, Okay, it's just another empty space, you know, it's not It's the opposite of Manhattan and the Central Park you know over there, it's relevant. You need that because you have so much density. So every time we try to do an open space here in Los Angeles is very difficult. So I think what it needs to be done is read open space and parks. Like a transportation system, Los Angeles is design based on freeways and based on moving through space for long distances. You know, we love commute. If you stay home one day and you don't commute, not you, but two hours, most of the people getting nervious. So, oh, I didn't drive for two hours today. You know why because we have problem us just moving through space through freeways, you know, and everything is so thin, everything is far away. So a park has to be designed with that logic where we connect big distances like Cinta Monica to downtown. Literally it's a lineal park, a linear freeway of pedestrians and also bicycles. Electric bicycles. Now that completely change the distances, you know, like we are from Santa Monica to downtown. I think we are like maybe twelve miles away.
Speaker 1: You still got that red wagon, I got you. I love it. You still got it. Oh yeah, but your kids are huge now, so you don't need that. Yeah, we still get all of us on top. Yes we do.
Speaker 3: What it's incredible, incredible bar or something like that. Just anyway, I think those angel list, especially now with the Olympics. You know, I'm from Spain, so we went through the Olympics in Barcelona, know, and we transformed the whole city.
Speaker 1: Are you excited for the Olympics to come here? Well? Yes, but.
Speaker 3: Who are you going to cheer for Spain? But if it's Spain is not playing traitor and US wings, I'm happy. What about in soccer? Who will you go for Spain? That's that's a mayor, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: That's Did you overcharge me?
Speaker 3: No, it's just it's the things that costs, you know, like like to do things right and to redo many things, would redo many times, you know, and it's just that's up.
Speaker 1: You know. You didn't over charge me. You did, you didn't, all right, I Sergio, thank you for being on the show. I tell you, thank you. I hope your son fits in all the shoes and I can't wait for you to finish your new home.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you Daniel for having me. This is all a pleasure.
Speaker 1: Strong hands, Causha, I want to thank Sergio for being on the show. And I want to thank Sergio for building my home. I love my house. I'd hate to sell it, but I will you give me the right offer. I'll kick my family out of there tonight, Carl, you don't gonna do now. A couple updates from people that have been on the show. A couple of your favorites are Barkley Marathons runner this year, John Kelly. Guess what what didn't finish? He finished three loops, three of the five loops. No one finished this year's course. They made it harder, too hard. You know why why because last year a woman finished and they're like, well, we can't have this. We can't let if women are finished in the race. So anyway, they made it a lot of part of this year. John finished three loops. Congratulations, you finished two thirds of the race. That's just a funny race to be in. Yeah, hey, I was in a race. How'd you do? No one finished?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: All right? Darrell the ex NFL player that's now a chef. Remember he was sniffing around. Remember he's kicking the tires on the show, asking me parenting stuff. Yeah, guess what they're expecting their first child. Come good job, nice job. Oh man, he fucked up my wife's best friend, Jocelyn, Doctor Jocelyn who's been on the show. She's still pregnant and she's keeping the baby. Come on, it's gonna be a little girl. And that's sweet. All right, let's get to the plugs. What do we got toss show store dot Com, Eddie's tour? Hey where Eddie Edi? You're gonna be in Austin. Oh tomorrow night? Wow, cap city. Man, that brings back some memories. I know it's a new location from the one that we used to do yea, but memories nonetheless. Oh I used I used to have a nice Austin friend. She worked at the Yellow Rose. Oh man, I miss her every day I think of her. Then you got my tour this summer in the Midwest. Also on sale this week is some NorCal locations Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Francisco, Central Cal, if you will, or nor Cal whatever. Let's do the free plug hit the free plug music. Now that's good church music right there, Hosanna? All right, what are we free plugging? Iowa's most popular bacon festival and one of the oldest and largest bacon festivals in the world is returning to the Iowa State Fairgrounds this May third, the seventeenth Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival. Organizers will transform the Agricultural Building into a bacon boat for a yacht rock themed bacon extravaganza, and aside from all things bacon, there will be live music from Southern California's very own YACHTI by Nature Come yep. This will feature unlimited bacon samples for all attendees. Is Baco's welcomed or no, oh that's good. I don't know, They're probably not welcomed. It's not real bacon, you know in Baco's. I used to love putting those on my salad. Anyway, that's not part of this. The event will feature a renowned bacon eating contest. Jesus Christ, is that just how much bacon you can eat? Or like? Is there? You know? It is a style of bacon. You ever had raw bacon at a sushi place? No, yeah, you probably shouldn't order that. The first contestant to eat ten strips of bacon without throwing up or losing any large pieces will win one hundred dollars ten strips. That's something on that's on the Denny's menu. That actually that line might be taken from a Denny's menu. You also get a trophy and some lipator Lipator's Probably that's not real. I'm just joking with that, unless Lipidor is a sponsor to the Bacon Festival, which those things. Those things would pair up nicely. Anyway, If you think you can defeat defeat Ryan Plue, who has won the last two, get over to Blue Ribbon Baconfestival dot com SEP to fill out your entry for him. Because only twelve lucky tripisson try trycipitents how do you say it?
Speaker 3: Participants?
Speaker 1: Only twelve people get to compete. That's at three fifteen and doors open at eleven, But make sure you're there by one. Oh god, so many numbers for the presentation of the twenty twenty five Bacon Queen. Ooh, that'd be kind of cool the Bacon Queen if you were dating somebody and you found out there were the Bacon Queen. Isn't every woman's dream in Iowa to wear a sash with Bacon Queen on it? I think so. I wonder if you have to be born into that. Tickets to Porka Balooza are twenty nine dollars for general admission, which will I mean twenty nine bucks not a bad deal if you're if you if you say to yourself, well, I'm gonna at least eat ten dollars worth of bacon today, because now you're talking about just paying nineteen dollars to hang out. If you're willing to spend forty nine dollars with the VIP ticket, you will get the koozy, plus a pastry to build up your bacon eating base, and a one hour early entry into the festival. Oh that means you're gonna get to get the good bacon, the crispy strips. Yep. My wife always orders bacon extra crispy everywhere we go, and I'm always just like, just stop, just let them make the bacon the way they want to make it. I get it. If you're at a gross place and it's just rubbery, but extra crispy please, Oh okay, my grandma here wants to have, you know, no taste, just some charred I wonder if I'm I wonder if I'm allowed to bring my pig to this bacon festival. I wonder if he if that's considered cruel this is a twenty one and up event? What that's nonsense? Children love bacon. Why is this twenty one and up? I don't know. If I would have known it was twenty one and up at the beginning, I might not have plugged him so well, all right, Iowa State Fairgrounds located at three thousand East Grand Avenue in Des Moines, Iowa. Stay crispy, See you guys next week.