Speaker 1: Your tunes about drive on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Steeler Nation. How we doing well? That's good us too, our number two of the drive here on this Monday, it'll be our last day in the studio for a little while. As of course, all eyes turned to Latrobe and the Steelers opening of training camp, first official practice Wednesday at eleven am. Coaches reported yesterday, players report tomorrow. I will report Tuesday evening. Matt will report Wednesday morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we'll have.
Speaker 2: A good time. I told my two daughters when I dropped them off at daycare. I dropped off at school this morning. I was like, hey, this his dad's last night home. I mean, not like for a long time. I'm gonna be gone a lot the next few weeks.
Speaker 3: I was not like, you're going off the war or something.
Speaker 2: Often nam right, here's a picture of me in a lockett to remember me back. I was like, you behave today at school, and we're gonna go get ice cream tonight. All right, dad's last last night of the summer. We'll go get ice cream. Just be good at school. Give me good reports from your teachers. When I come pick you up around five o'clock and we'll go get some ice cream and celebrate the last day of the summer. Matt the NFL Network, NFL dot Com releasing this is something that I always think is fun to kick around in the summertime. They're all under twenty five team, so basically, you know, the best team you can make with guys under the age of twenty five, some of the youngest players in the league. Who's the best of the youth movement right now?
Speaker 3: Yeah. So ESPN, through Aaron Shats, who we often reference, do this every year as well, but he does it differently. He ranks every team from one to thirty two in terms of their talent twenty five and under. So I wanted to run something by you on this too. Is usually I mean, obviously you want to be on those lists, you know, like, boy, we got a great young talent base. Good to have, you know. Now there it is sort of an arbitrary number. Why do we pick twenty five? Why don't we pick twenty six while we picked twenty four? Who knows? But I mean it's round number fine, and you have to pick a cutoff date. We're going to do it for the day the regular season opens, is it from right now? And sometimes it's like, well, Penney Seel is twenty five and two days, so he doesn't fit, you know. I mean, so there's always somebody that's right under, right over that can mislead you a little bit, because I think when I read to the ESPN one, the Steelers are pretty low. They were like twenty seventh in terms of under twenty five talent because I think like three of their stars it might have been like Fraser Porter, like just edged.
Speaker 2: Out the cut.
Speaker 3: So it can be a little misleading, but I wanted to mention this to you too. The draft has changed dramatically. Under twenty five might just be like rookie second year, right right right. It doesn't mean like they're even that well established. You know, some of these guys have come out so late.
Speaker 2: For a while, when the vast majority of the guys were coming out at twenty two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's kind of twenty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think twenty five was a good cutoff point for this.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Now you'd get the jujus that couldn't even like drink yet when he got the camp. But that twenty two to twenty one was like the average.
Speaker 2: Maybe now this should be like an under twenty six or a twenty five and under instead of an under twenty five.
Speaker 3: But it certainly influences the last couple classes to mesidor might never.
Speaker 2: Be eligible for this way, you know, good Lord Tyler Shuck never eligible, was never eligible, right. This age represents how old the players will be on September ninth, the day that the season kicks off. On that Bekeds Day.
Speaker 3: They have to pick a day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quarterback Drake May who will turn twenty four here in just about a month.
Speaker 3: I think on the ESPN list, the Patriots were first or second mostly. I mean the Bears are high because Caleb Williams and if you've a quarterback that fits here, it should carry tons and tons of weight, especially the year that made us had great.
Speaker 2: It's nuts that both of these guys are still only twenty four years old. Two running backs, Bijeon Robinson and jamieer Gibbson, they still are This might be the top two running backs in the league.
Speaker 3: They are like in the fantasy world, they're the first two picks, you know, consensus. They are I think the two best running backs in the league, two most valuable especially if you factor in you know, age and wear and tear in their bodies, which isn't much at this point. I've teased it, but I started fiddling with Matt stats, and you know, like my Bijeon bullet point is way more impressive. I even thought, you know, like I knew he's one of the best prospects I've ever seen, lived up to all that in Atlanta. But you start matching his first years against there as good as basically any running back INFL history that they've come in the league, and.
Speaker 2: He hasn't been in a very good situation.
Speaker 3: No, and Gibbs is obviously split some time with Montgomery, but I mean he's been basically everybody's good.
Speaker 2: Gibbs won't turn twenty five until March. Wow, we'll have the Super Bowl in the combine in the books before he even turns twenty five. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Back to our previous conversation about draft stuff, I do think it's safe to say that running backs will always qualify here. I mean, they're not going to take the extra year pounding just to hang it out as.
Speaker 2: Absolutely absolutely not. They want to get to the league and have the longest shelf.
Speaker 3: Life possibly get that second contract.
Speaker 2: Nuts that he's on this list, Matt when he just won Offensive Player of the Year and had an all time great season. Jackson Smith and Jigba is still just twenty four. He doesn't turn twenty five until February.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Crazy and Ted McMillan, the other wide receiver heading into his sophomore season out of Caroline.
Speaker 3: Rookie of the Year, I mean, a really good season. I think he'll move him around a lot more, kind of like the Smith and Jigma. Smith and Jigma was often slot mostly almost slot only, never lined up in the slot. I think he's going to start doing a lot more things.
Speaker 2: The Offensive Player of the Year and the Offensive Rookie of the Year your two wide receivers there. Tight end, we just talked about him. I think this is a pretty easy It's brock Bauers still just twenty three years old.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think that's as easy as they come. I think he's clearly the best player at his position, and he'll probably be on next year. You know, he's still got he's that young. He came out. I mean, I know he played as a true freshman at Georgia. I think he just played three years out.
Speaker 2: The true way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the wa he used to be back in the day, Bud.
Speaker 2: And then they have a flex here Matt, where they could have gone running back or wide receiver, they go with the von A Chain, the running back of the Dolphins, who is still also just twenty four years old.
Speaker 3: I think he's noticeably behind Gibbs and Robinson, especially for an every down player, but I mean he's still highly effective and the Dolphins invested in him.
Speaker 2: Here's the offensive line, uh, starting on the left side, offensive tackle Joe Alt still just twenty three years old. He deserves that obviously needs to return from that injury. And the last we saw of him when he was healthy, he was outstanding.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine him not having a great career.
Speaker 2: And right tackle is Josh Simmons from Kansas City, another guy who was who had some some injury stuff last year, but he's just twenty three years old as well.
Speaker 3: He's also a left tackle. But I guess they're doing tackles.
Speaker 2: Right, They're just kind of doing tackles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was very impressive. He just needs to clean some things up off the field in consistency and injury stuff. You know.
Speaker 2: Two guards, Tyler Booker of the Cowboys, just twenty two years old, and Gray's Abel twenty four years old of the Seattle Seas.
Speaker 3: Both rookies last year as well with Simmons. Yeah, that's a good pair of guards, really different. Zabel's much more over mover and athlete, Booker's and old time that you run behind on fourth downd guy mash Er, wide body, you know.
Speaker 2: And Zabel had an outstanding year last year.
Speaker 3: He really was really really good. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then the center from the Colts Tanner Bortanelli twenty four years boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I guess Fraser's over.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 3: I remember to have that ESPN thing.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, he just turned twenty five.
Speaker 3: A couple just aged out. I'm fine with it, yea. But I mean he's not a top seven or eight center. He's been a pleasant surprise, but I guess the league is not. Really It's another position. You're not going to come in the league super old either, but you're also not going to come in as a three year starter either. That's pretty rare. There hasn't been a great influx of young the last year or two at the center position. I can think of Linderbaum's over.
Speaker 2: I think like you know Graham Barton and Zach Frasier are aren't eligible for this list just by missing the cut off by a few months. So that's the offense Matt defensive side of the football. Two edge rushers, one of them of this parish, Nick Kerbick, twenty four years old.
Speaker 3: Okay, I mean another reason to invest in them. He's that young, right, I'm a little shocked that he made the cut, but I mean it's I guess the league isn't super rich with under twenty fi.
Speaker 2: They've been looking for those next great edg Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like Will Anderson's a little too old, you know, things like that. I assume he's not one of them, right.
Speaker 2: The other one is Abdul Carter of the New York Giants, just twenty two years old.
Speaker 3: I think he's got a chance to be great, but it's been he's not there yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he could be on this list though for another two years.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, just I didn realize he came in the league that.
Speaker 2: Young, twenty two years old. He turns twenty three in October. Defensive tackles. Two of them. One that you rave about all the time, Matt Byron Murphy of the Seahocks just twenty four years old. The other a guy who is just twenty two, very young. We didn't see much of him, but what we did it was encouraging. Walter Nolan of the Cardinal.
Speaker 3: This is a good list because they went deep. I mean, Nolan only played like eight games or so, but it was a real six games. It's another position. I think when we did Ledgyard's top twenty five defensive tackles, he mentioned and he was right. The last couple draft classes haven't been great at defensive tackle.
Speaker 2: No, and he might be the one who could who could change that. But yeah, he's got to stay healthy.
Speaker 3: And I mean, like Harmon looks good, but Nolan looks noticeably better than the other defense of tackles in that class, especially Graham and especially Grant. They were all.
Speaker 2: First ahead of you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean he's he's got the capabilities of being a stud and it's still just twenty two years old.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: So Byron Murphy and Walter Nolan. Yeah, pretty strong there On the interior of the defensive line linebackers. Here two off ball linebackers Carson Swesssinger of course raining These rookie of the year twenty three years old, for the Browns and Cedric Gray of the Tennessee Titans. He's also just twenty three years Who put this list together?
Speaker 3: I'm pretty impressed because some of them don't digging out.
Speaker 2: Lists put together by Wes Euhler of the Steelers. Oh no, sorry, Nick Shook put the list together.
Speaker 3: Gray is a name that people are probably like, who is that? He's been really good, just on a bad team that's never on national TV. And you're probably not watching the Titans because the Steelers are on a different channel, you know, yeah, yeah, you'd love to have Gray.
Speaker 2: I'll put my hand up. I think I watched the Titans two or three times.
Speaker 3: Right, that was probably if you're a total nerd, you don't know who that is.
Speaker 2: I was watching the Titans. I was watching cam Ward on offense and Jeffrey Simmons on defense. Not watch U.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and probably the losing and probably.
Speaker 2: Losing two corners on this list not surprising. Christian Gonzalez still just twenty four years old, and Kamari Lassiter of the Texans just twenty three years.
Speaker 3: Lastator is a great number two. I assume Porter is just over too. I think he is, thank just from that ESPN one. I'm almost certain because there was a couple of young guysman Steelers you were excited about but were just a little too old.
Speaker 2: Joey Porter Junior turned twenty six yesterday, Happy happy birth JPJ.
Speaker 3: Maybe should have given a contract on his birthday.
Speaker 2: How are they present?
Speaker 3: No, but I like those two lasted. The's a number two the teams try to pick on and don't have a lot of success because Stingley's on the other side.
Speaker 2: That's a real lockdown tandem. That's about as good as you can get. And then two safeties and a flex. All three of these guys outstanding players. A couple of Super Bowl champions already here, Brian Branch of the Detroit Lions twenty four years old, Nick Emon Worry we've raved about him from Seattle, just twenty two years old. And Cooper Dejean of the Philadelphia Eagles, who has himself a Super Bowl trophy as well, and he is still just twenty three years old.
Speaker 3: There are an influx of these guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for the lack of some of the other positions that they mention.
Speaker 3: Strong man, the.
Speaker 2: Defensive backs, and a lot of guys like Joey Porter Junior, who just missed the cut quin Jon Mitchell who just missed the cut. A lot of really good talent young at this position.
Speaker 3: What I also think is really telling him makes me like this list even more too, is all three of those safety names. You could even call them corners, and back in the day you'd say they're slots. You know, they are not Troy and Ed, you know, like they're not Cam and Earl, you know, or one's a strong, ones are free. I mean, these guys are the do it all slot big nickel that is really taken over the league. And I think that's going to be Ramsey this year.
Speaker 2: I hope so man. Yeah, because if you could add that to the Steelers defense right with the pass rush, yes, with Porter and Dean on the boundary, I mean you could, you could really be cooking.
Speaker 3: So I mentioned I did a corner podcast exclude, so I was talking a little bit about Porter's contract. But again the reference FTN and their almanac. They have a pretty good article or a really cool article up right now where they judge every defense by DVOA that's their numbers. Verse slot receivers. Doesn't matter if a running back or who lines up their quarterback in line up there. Whoever, the slot receivers are verse outside receivers. The Steelers were much better against outside receivers than slots.
Speaker 2: Interesting, which doesn't surprise when you know the middle of the field struggles.
Speaker 3: Yes, and people don't like to attack the outside because things take longer and they fear the pass rush. But then they took it a step further and broke down the players. So the outside corners, Porter was like eighth. Best happen to know who number one was? Probably not, but Jamiel Dean interesting was number one, So they were really strong at outside corner with Porter and no one else on the list. Then they added number one on the list to go with Porter. But what was really interesting you might you'd probably think, boy, the Steelers' slot corners must have really struggled. They didn't really what these numbers told me, because Ramsey was like eighth and Eccles was like eleventh amongst slot corners. Guys at the top were like Hamilton Derwin, those names you just mentioned, Degene which made me really encourage because and this passes the eyeball test when you watch tape. I think a lot of those slot receivers did a lot of damage against linebackers or heavier safeties or the Clerks or Duggers of the world. Because when it was Eccles or Ramsey, who are very different but they're both slots, they did well, but the team as a whole did not, which makes me think they might be way better at it this year, you know. And if they lookout look out right exactly, because you're gonna be even better on the outside too, you know, where you were already good, pretty encouraging.
Speaker 2: It is encouraging, and it's gonna be certainly something will keep an eye on, certainly something we're talking about plenty throughout training camp and interested to see what that deployment looks like. Certainly right off the jump when we get out there this week, Matt, that's it for the NFL All Under twenty five team. Let's take our first break here of the second hour. We'll get to some tweaks as we roll along here and continue to set the scene for the week in Latrobe. Bueler and Williamson, it's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 4: And now a word from our sponsor, Bud Light. There's nothing better than the clean crisp. There's nothing better than the clean crisp Uh. What if we just got out of here and grab some bud Lights. Man, we're on air for four more hours.
Speaker 5: I'll figure it out. Sounds good to me. Anything for the clean, crisp taste of bud Light stocked up now. Bud Light, easy to drink, easy to in, and you're responsibly copyright twenty twenty six and Hyser Bush but Light Meer, Saint Louis, Missouri.
Speaker 6: I used to have cable Internet, but I'm a one hundred percent kind of fan, so I switched to Verizon FiOS. It's one hundred percent fiber.
Speaker 3: Internet that's super reliable.
Speaker 6: So I streamed one hundred percent of the NFL Draft live with the ultra low lag and after what went down in the first round, still getting video calls from my best friend rubbing it in that he called all the picks.
Speaker 2: I told you they were building their own line.
Speaker 3: I went to bet.
Speaker 7: Good one hundred percent fiber Internet with Verizon FiOS because when it comes to your team, it's one hundred percent or nothing. Called one of three three for Verizon to switch today.
Speaker 1: Get that hot dog costume ready, bruh your tunes about drive on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Back on the drive here. As we roll along, we are going to get to some tweets, some questions, comments, concerns, and reactions before we get up out of here today. But before we do that, Matt an interesting article on ESPN dot com today from Bill Barnwell, who you and I are both both fans of. He does great work talking about how the twenty eleven NFL draft class has claimed to be the best defensive class ever in the history of the league. It's pretty amazing, and he said, yeah, he said, for decades it was very easy to say. It was nineteen eighty one, which sent six defensive players to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: Lawrence Taylor, I said, was LT was a second overl pick.
Speaker 2: They leading the way, Kenny Easley, Ronnie Lott, Mike Singletary, Howie Long, and Ricky Jackson.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good. Pretty good, that's pretty good. I'm sure there's some other guys that had good careers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not sure if this can beat it or not.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good, he said, that's pretty good. But he said the twenty eleven class really with Cam Hayes and Cam Jordan's still playing at a high level in a couple like Hall of Fame locks. Here here's how he kind of lays it all out, in his case.
Speaker 3: Super quick before he does really stands out about this class to me in hindsight, obviously, is when first of all, I was covering the draft at that point too, and everyone thought it was a really really good class. That was Cam Newton first overall, and frankly, they have some pretty good offensive guys too, Julio Jones, AJ Green, I mean, like, but what stood out to me about that class is all the good players hit. I mean, like, if you look at almost the entire first round, especially the blue chip dudes, like the top twelve or whatever, not only did you get some great players later than you would on the other year, like AJ Green was like the seventh pick in the draft, and Julio was like five or something like that that could compete for one or two any other year. But like everyone but like Christian Ponder, basically hit and lived up to their draft. It was nuts, which never happened. Happens happens.
Speaker 2: So here's how he breaks it down. He basically says that there's there's four locks for Hall of Fame in that in that defensive draft class, and a lot of other guys who are still still really good and might might get there. The four locks. JJ Watt easy, easy, right, right right.
Speaker 3: I mean he competes. I think Lawrence Taylor is the best defense player to ever lived. But JJ's he's in the conversation, he's in that tier. I mean his career numbers with Aaron Donald are ridiculous.
Speaker 2: He was when he was at his prime. Yeah, he was just unbelievable.
Speaker 3: I remember Pro Football Focus was kind of new at that point and they wrote an article saying, I think we have to change our system because JJ Watts breaking it right. We didn't think that anyone could be this good.
Speaker 2: I mean his like average season was Defensive Player of the Year. Yeah, yeah, just ridiculous. Another one, absolute no brainer, Von Miller easily two times Super Bowl champion and one of the great pass rushers of all time as well. Richard Sherman the third lock.
Speaker 3: I think he's a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so too.
Speaker 3: It might not be first ballot or whatever. He's not up. He hasn't been up yet. No, he's not. No, it's got to be soon, probably next year. Now I think about it, I think he gets in. I don't think he's in the class of those two they just mentioned, but I think he's, you know, a Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Corner for a fifth round pick.
Speaker 3: Played a lot of receiver at Sanford too.
Speaker 2: He sure did, and in the last one he was part of this parish briefly, Patrick Peterson.
Speaker 3: I think he's a lock. He's into me over Sherman. Yeah. Yeah. He also played a lot more man than Sherman did in their prime too.
Speaker 2: He did, he did, He was man. He was outstanding for.
Speaker 3: What a prospect he was too. He's like a Jalen Ramsey prospect where he was the.
Speaker 2: First pick of that class, wasn't he In twenty.
Speaker 3: Eleven, Cam Newton was one, But he was. I mean he would be the top corner in any draft, you know, just like a Ramsey, you know, big ridiculous athlete shapes backs it up. I forget the order. Maybe you can even pull it up. But Marshall Darius was the one, like top six pick that was good, not great, but like the draft is pretty it's really ridiculous at the top. It started with Cam.
Speaker 2: Let's see here, cam Newton yep number one, Von Miller number two, Marcel Darius number three, A. J. Green number four, Patrick Peterson number five, Julio Jones number Alden Smith number seven, who was had short lived and had issues, but my goodness, but he was.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: JJ Watt was eleventh overall, Tyron Smith was ninth overall.
Speaker 3: That's a Hall of Fame tackle too.
Speaker 2: Remember Quinn fourteenth, Mike Pouncy fifteenth, Ryan Carrigan sixteenth, good freaking lord, Kim Jordan in the first round, camp Yward in the first round.
Speaker 3: But the top half is the blue chip guys are all insane. Like Darius is the only one that maybe or yeah, he was just good, you know, but like all the other ones like outkicked there draft pick coverage.
Speaker 2: So he mentions those four his locks and then he talks about the Hall of really good with this class, guys like Alden Smith, guys like Robert Quinn, guys like Justin Houston was in this draft.
Speaker 3: I would definitely put Kerrigan in there too.
Speaker 2: I would put Kerrigan in there. He does, Ryan Kerrigan, Jabaal Sheared, Corey Leaguett all enjoyed lengthy careers. Jabal Shared was a pick guy. Let's see, Uh, Jirell Casey was in this class. Mohammedd Wilkerson was in this class.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's just.
Speaker 2: Not It's a lot of really like not Hall of Fame talent, but.
Speaker 3: Guys like you're real happy with the pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like maybe like Alex high Smith type level, right right, Like.
Speaker 3: They might not be remembered by everyone for years and years and years unless it's your hometown team, but you'll take those guys.
Speaker 2: They were the best player on the field. And then he mentions the two wild cards who were still standing, of course, are very own. Cam Hayward and Cam Jordan.
Speaker 3: Both amazing careers, sort of parallel careers with one team gonna go down as like Ring of Honor, obvious slam dunks type guys. And I'm not trying to sound too partial, but I think Hayward goes to Hall of Fame. I think Jordan doesn't.
Speaker 2: I think you're right, yeah, I I certainly think Cam has the better shot to get in.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, he's just because.
Speaker 2: He's been so good in the back half of his career.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I mean the way he's finished slouch. But Jordan had more sackson. I thought last year and a half. Yeah, but I do think Hayward's clearly the better player now and probably could last a little longer too.
Speaker 2: He says.
Speaker 3: I bet this is Jordan's last year.
Speaker 2: He said. If both of these guys have one more big season, that'll probably be what puts them over the top as a as a you know, a future Hall of Famer. I think Cam, I think already in especially when you throwing the Walter Payton.
Speaker 3: Man away with those guys that really matters. Jordan might have one too. I mean, I know he's super high regarded, and he's been a candidate many times. I don't know if he has one or not. I don't think he does.
Speaker 2: He does not, Okay, he's you know, he's got one first team All Pro and two second teams, where Cam has much more.
Speaker 3: But however, the premise of the article, I'm not sure if that's better than eighty one or not. I mean, eighty one had six Hall of Famers too. I mean, we're hoping to get the six, and I bet they had some other good players that would be on the Kerrigan level. You know, sure, sure, I mean, but really, the interesting thing about this draft is throwing Julio and Cam and aj Green right right right, right right, Iron Smith. I mean, these guys are all Hall of Fame type dudes too.
Speaker 2: Good Lord. The right up that he has here on Cam is interesting and has actually a really cool stat in it. Steelers defensive tackle Cam Hayward has had an unconventional career. He's entering his sixteenth season with the same team, which is rare in the modern NFL. The only defenders from this class to spend at least ten seasons with the same team are Jimmy Smith and Cam Jordan Okay, he says since turning twenty eight, Cam Hayward has made seven Pro Bowls. He's been a First team All Pro four times. Just twenty players have made seven or more Pro Bowls after turning twenty eight since nineteen ninety. Wow, Derek Brooks, Brian Dawkins, Ray Lewis, John Lynch, Ed Reid, Bruce Smith, and Rod Woodson. All of those guys, Matt are all Yeah.
Speaker 3: Again, I think Cam cannot play another down and he goes in. I think so too, Yeah, but I think if he has special After hearing that.
Speaker 2: I think he has one more really good season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Second team All Pro or even just goes to the Pro Bowl or you know.
Speaker 2: He almost becomes a lock, not a slam dunk first ballo at lock. But I'd be shocked if he didn't get in.
Speaker 3: And I don't blame him, but playoff success would also help, Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And don't have the playoffs, and Barnwell says that if he played in a different era, fifteen years with the Steelers would have been you know, surely come with at least one Super Bowl victory is what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there aren't many fifteen year stretch.
Speaker 2: But he says that's really without pointing out the lack of playoff success, that's like the only blemish on Cam Hayward's record.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, because sacks are tough for that position. And not to mention this, this goes for Keysol and you know those type of dudes as well, Aaron Smith. When Cam came in the league with Lebau, those guys weren't sack artists. They were you three, eat up five blocks and Kendro Bell makes all attacks exactly, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Here comes James fer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we talked about this a lot with the edge guys of that year. It's like Porter and Gilden and those dudes. If it's Sir Nate, they may drop off into coverage, you know, like you're passing downs. They only rushed like fifty percent of the time, so it's hard to get sacks in those roles like that. Hurt Richard Seymour, who is in the Hall of Fame, you know, like three four d n's were not good for numbers.
Speaker 2: He mentions, you know, kind of like that, Chris Jones is going to be a without a doubt Hall of Famer at that position. And then he mentions, you know, Cam Hayward going to be writing a conversation with Fletcher Cox and the Dominican Sioue both.
Speaker 3: I take him over both those guys. In terms of body of work.
Speaker 2: I think at I think at there. If you said those three at their absolute best, you could probably you could probably list Cams third, I would say, But in terms of longevity it's not even close. Like on their best day, Fletcher Cox and the Dominican Sue were defensive Player of the year time. Yeah, but man, their their their their peak, their prime was much quicker, much shorter than Cam's.
Speaker 3: Yes, and Sue. Is it kind of did the Clowney thing where he was just like a mercenary year to year, and you know, I would think, right the longevity with one team teams extended the year after a year, because if you're a mercenary, it also means that your former team decided we can.
Speaker 2: Live without you, we can move on from this. Yeah yeah, yeah, yes, So I thought that was interesting. Really good company though, yeah, really good company. Really good draft class overall there, especially like you mentioned when you turn in the.
Speaker 3: Uh yeahlo and aj Green Yes, yeah right, there's a pretty Tyrone Smith and wake out.
Speaker 2: Yes, like he says, you know, if you kind of look at some of these years, twenty twelve has sent one player to the Hall of Fame so far, in Luke Keigley. It feels like Bobby Wagner is a lock.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But other than that, you know, you got Fletcher Clock, you got Stefan Gilmore. Who who might make it in UH twenty and thirteen only part only defender with even a shot is Tyrone Matthew twenty and fourteen. Twenty and fourteen, Aaron Donald is a sure thing and Khalil Mack should join him. But that's two guys, yea yeah, twenty fifteen, won't send anybody to Canton. On Defense twenty sixteen, Chris Jones, Jalen Ramsey, perhaps Kevin Byer. So, I mean, you look at it most of these years. Stretch, big stretch. I think you and I did this exercise at one point.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you get four or five out of a class period, the ball.
Speaker 2: Just have like one one and a half.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think where I think there's a couple in history that of a bond.
Speaker 2: This one I think would have at least five, maybe six.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, well, if you talk about both sides of the ball, oh yeah, yeah, surely you might get ten.
Speaker 2: You might get yeah, which would be a heck of a heck of a draft class certainly. So fun to kind of look at that stuff this time of year. Good right up by Bill Barnwell on ESPN dot com. If you guys want to dig into that on your own, But one segment left before we close this thing down for the day. You know what that means. We'll get two questions, comments, concerns, reactions. We'll hit the tweets before we get up out of here. E'ler and Williamson, it is the drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network, and.
Speaker 4: Now a word from our sponsor, bud Light. There's nothing better than the clean Crisp. There's nothing better than the clean Crisp. Uh, what if we just got out of here and grab some bud Lights. Man, we're on air for four more hours.
Speaker 2: I'll figure it out.
Speaker 7: Sounds good to me.
Speaker 5: Anything for the clean Chrisp taste of bud Light stocked up now. Bud Light easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and you're responsibly copyright twenty twenty six and hyser Busch, bud Light, Meer, Saint Louis, Missouri.
Speaker 6: I used to have cable Internet, but I'm a one hundred percent kind of fan, so i switched to Verizon FiOS. It's one hundred percent fiber internet that's super reliable. So I streamed one hundred percent of the NFL Draft live with the ultra low lag and after what went down in the first round, still getting video calls from my best friend rubbing it in that he called all the picks.
Speaker 1: I told you they were building their own line. I went to bet good.
Speaker 7: One hundred percent fiber Internet with Verizon FiOS. Because when it comes to your team it's one hundred percent or nothing. Call one three three Verizon to switch today.
Speaker 3: Get that hot dog costume ready.
Speaker 1: Bruh your tunes about drive on your twenty four to seven Home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio.
Speaker 2: Last segment here from our studio. Before the next time you hear from Matt and I, we will be at Chuck Nolfield the Honest press Box. Yeah, gorgeous scenic campus of Saint Vincent College of course in Latrobe, Pennsylvania. Out there in Westmoreland.
Speaker 3: Canny, Yeah, I'm psyched.
Speaker 2: It's good. Did you see they got the bridge? They got the bridge done on three seventy six by Squirrel Hill, which doesn't affect you and I from where we live, but it's good news ahead of training camp for everyone. And it's going to be heading out towards Route thirty and trying to avoid the turnpike tolls. Baby, come say hello, Come say hello. Yep, you always know where to find us. We're around the ground. You can't get to us during the show because we're in the press box, but we're always.
Speaker 3: Were always walking around that neck of the wood.
Speaker 2: We're just poking around the grounds. We're always doing shows in the evening, all the standard stuff that you come to expect that has not changed, despite plenty of things that will with this first Mike McCarthy edition of Training Camp.
Speaker 3: Ian, you did have a programming note.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm glad you remind me.
Speaker 3: No video.
Speaker 2: Yes, so I think people again, I think our loyal listeners probably remember this. But I know we're always picking up people along the way and all that. We will not be on video during training camp because he has too many responsibilities and it's just hard to be.
Speaker 3: Small.
Speaker 2: It's like a little tiny press box, yeah, where Matt and I are kind of right pressed up against the glasses and there wouldn't be a ton of.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: But so after training camp, I would think probably maybe like the third week in August, sometime towards the middle of late August, when we're back in the studio, will be back on YouTube every day as well.
Speaker 3: As your boy Mo says, that doesn't mean training camps.
Speaker 2: Over training camp over just the public portion.
Speaker 3: We just won't be at Saint Vincent's right.
Speaker 2: I'll miss him saying that on the last Like, just so you guys know, training camp's not over all, right, the Saint Vincent portion of portion of it's over, but we still have to go back and suffer for a couple more weeks. So around mid to late August, when the Saint Vincent portion of training camp wraps up and we're back in studio, we will be back on YouTube, but for now, be a friend and tell a friend that the only way to get the drive is on your podcast platforms Steelers dot Com, iHeart Apple, Google.
Speaker 3: Spotify, all that we're not hard to find.
Speaker 2: We are not hard to find, s and R Drive wherever you get your podcasts. Ian says, you guys smell that it smells like training camp. To me, it's time to lock in. I'll see you guys at Dino's. Do you think Joey Porter Junior and his agent are strategically waiting to sign his new contract until after Christian Gonzalez signs his Thanks and missed you guys, And we talked about that a little bit at the beginning of the show. But it's certainly a possibility, because I think I think I would.
Speaker 3: It's it's if you know it's going to come in super high, why would you not want that one more bullet point in your favor.
Speaker 2: It's almost like the opposite of musical chairs. Like you, you want everyone else to fill out their chair and then you can look and say, hey, that's where I belong.
Speaker 3: There, maybe slightly behind share number one, but well ahead of chair number two. You know. Yes, And it's gonna be a big number of folks.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a real big number. I do believe Matt and I will be doing a show at Dino's on Wednesday, by the way, as we come.
Speaker 3: This Wednesday, Okay, that'll be our first night show. I think I have four or five this year.
Speaker 2: I think I've got three some at Sharkys. I think I have four actually.
Speaker 3: One of the casino, two or three at Dino's, one or two at sharky.
Speaker 2: Now that you I think I have one at the case. I do have one of the casino, one at Dino's, and two at Sharky's. I think it's four. It's four. But again, we are not hard to find, no, no, no, And if Matt and I aren't doing the evening shows, there's always a lot of fun happening still, you know. Pursuab anyways, probably one of those establishments. Anyways, unless there's no practice the next day.
Speaker 3: Then we'll go home until we get home.
Speaker 2: We'll go home and sleep in our own beds and all that. All that.
Speaker 3: It's always like stuff at home.
Speaker 2: I always think like I'm gonna go home, there's gonna be nothing going on, And instead the honeydew list is a dozen items long.
Speaker 3: I used to have have a big, strapping young boy that could, you know, mowd a lawn or whatever. But he'll be off at school. He was off school last year. It's like it's done again. Lines up to my knees. I've been been home for a week. Not what I want to do.
Speaker 2: Steelers Nation steal a Nation nine twenty. Our buddy Tyler up in Wisconsin says, fun conversation at work amongst all the Wisconsin's they were arguing about Farv versus Rogers the other day that I'd like to get your guys opinion on this. They all basically consensus said that Brett Farva was way more fun to watch, but Aaron Rodgers was the better quarterback.
Speaker 3: I one hundred percent agree, and again, these are the best quarterbacks that ever lived. But on that list, I think Farbe's a little overrated. I mean, there was a lot of things he did to hurt his team, yes, and where Rogers doesn't have any of those naggs.
Speaker 2: And I think Rogers had a lot of fun to watch when he was in his prime. But Brett Farv was like the rock and roll front man. Yes, you know, he was like the rock and roll front man. Sometimes those vocals were gonna be angelic. The other times he was going to stay out all night partying.
Speaker 3: That's gonna sound like crap the next day. And no one like he was so different because it felt like everything with one hundred and fifty mins hour fastball, you know, I mean he loaded up.
Speaker 2: He was a rock star man.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yes he was.
Speaker 2: Maybe Slash is the better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was just or bottom, you know, just someone that hit the drums hard. Yeah, I mean it's hit the drums really hard. Again. They're two of the top twelve quarterbacks that ever lived, but I don't think they're in the same tier.
Speaker 2: I don't either. I think I think Aaron Rodgers is a tier ahead. Mister Steele City says, you have to think our second team offensive line will dominate second team defensive lines in preseason, right. I think Caleb Johnson and the quarterbacks have to show some flashes with the advantage they should have up front. Preseason is less than a month away. Let's go.
Speaker 3: That's great. I think that's a really good angle.
Speaker 2: Teen days away till the first preseason game something that we're getting close.
Speaker 3: So you would hope that a Caleb Johnson looks good. I mean, he should have holes and I think he's this this tweeter, I know if it's male or female. My fault is that the Steelers number two OH line can could probably compete with any number two OH line out there, and should in preseason be quite successful against the d lines are facing. And we talked about this a lot that it's really difficult to evaluate Caleb our Howard. Guys, you don't know a lot about No one walks for him.
Speaker 1: And last the.
Speaker 2: Last preseason, no one was blocking. Caleb Johnson covered himself in glory.
Speaker 3: No no, of course not.
Speaker 2: The second team offensive line struggled.
Speaker 3: So who do we think will be the second team line? He'll probably I mean if I would bet he's your left and would be probably the right. I mean, if they played the game today.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good.
Speaker 3: That's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Ryan McCollum at center, yeah, or maybe.
Speaker 3: Hoffman maybe Hoffman, but.
Speaker 2: You have Jennings dunker out one of the guards. Yeah, I mean you could have two first round picks at tackle a third round pick at guard if it's i.
Speaker 3: Mean pretty accomplished. Yeah right, it probably would have. Probably Mcallum would probably be the second seventh.
Speaker 2: That's what I think I would go with those five. That's a really good second team offensive line man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's not bad, even like the Jones kid, Stephen Jones. Yeah yeah, I mean, if he's your third guy.
Speaker 2: Like we saw from him in Spurts last year.
Speaker 3: If Broderick's not healthy, I mean so yeah, I feel like we're missing somebody too. But no, that's that's probably.
Speaker 2: Your your second Spencer Anderson and Dylan Cook up with the first.
Speaker 3: Team at least to start at least.
Speaker 2: First preseason game or you know, first preseason or first training camp practice.
Speaker 3: That's pretty quality second team O line. My goodness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there's probably some teams in the NFL that would trade their first team offensive line for that second team unit of the Steelers. R J says before every season, I like to do an eight leg division winner parlay and let it ride. Wow, if you guys had to put your chips down right now. Who would be your guys eight picks for division winners this season. It's a good one.
Speaker 3: It's one of those things I always like, hold out till my official Yeah.
Speaker 2: We'll do official picks and all that at some point. Yeah, probably after pre season, when we have a couple of weeks to kill.
Speaker 3: Before Right now, I think I'm torn between Dallas and Philly. I'm torn between the Bills and Patriots. Frankly, I don't know who I'm gonna taken the AFC North. I think there's three teams that have a case. I don't know who I'm gonna take in the NFC North. That's the hardest one.
Speaker 2: I don't know who I'm gonna take the AFC West.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, NFC West.
Speaker 2: Not is there a division right now that i'd say, oh yeah, I'm picking that team to win it. I don't know. Maybe the Saints in.
Speaker 3: The South, but they didn't win last year and.
Speaker 2: They're not the Vegas favorites to win it this But like.
Speaker 3: I bet Philly's a common choice, but I'm leaning towards Dallas.
Speaker 2: I mean, Houston, Jacksonville both have a great shot to win the division.
Speaker 3: We know the I think Houston would be the one I feel firmest about of the eight. I mean none of them are firm honestly.
Speaker 2: Maybe yeah, Like because the AFC North, we know has three legit contenders, the a f C West, the Chiefs, Chargers, Broncos. The AFC East is a coin flip between the Bills and the Patriots.
Speaker 3: If you're down on one of those two teams, I could see a strong case for the other.
Speaker 2: North is gonna be a rock fight, Yeah, the East between the Eagles and the Cowboys. The West, yeah, the Rams great, but they also have the defending Super Bowl champion and the Niners n anywhere ever, go anywhere. And in the South, I mean, I don't think the Panthers aren't the favorite to run it back, But do you really trust Tampa and New Orleans? It's I don't know if I remember a year, matt where there was not a clear cut Oh yeah, I'm picking that team to win that division.
Speaker 3: The opposite is true, Like it's easy to say Arizona and Cleveland or you know, or Miami or like.
Speaker 2: The last couple of years going to the year, it's been like the Bills are gonna run away with the AFC.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the last this time of year to say.
Speaker 2: They're gonna run away with the West.
Speaker 3: Many times, and a lot of people picked the Ravens even or you know, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: That is that is an interesting one. RJ. Here's what I'm gonna do for you, dude. I'm gonna bookmark that. All right, we'll save it and we'll get back to it.
Speaker 3: You might need it like three weeks still or ready for that.
Speaker 2: It might need a little bit of time because you also, to be fair, right, you got to make it through training camp and see who's still healthy. Yeah, somebody make any last minute roster editions and.
Speaker 3: RJ, RJ, I wish you the best, but you're not gonna hit that, parlat. I mean, some years has to be easier than this.
Speaker 2: He said that there was a year in further down tweets, he said that there was a year where because someone tweeted him back and was like, have you ever hit it? Yeah, he said that there was one year that he got seven out of eight.
Speaker 3: Wow. I mean, I'm sure you could hedge when you get the week twelve or whatever and it's looking good. I mean, I'm not an expert better, but I know there's things like that.
Speaker 2: And r J, I know you say you let it ride, and I.
Speaker 3: Might put two dollars on it just to see if I hit.
Speaker 2: From a degenerate standpoint, I admire that you let it ride. But if it was a week fourteen and they're making me a nice cash out.
Speaker 3: I could cash out right take that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I might take that.
Speaker 3: There's there's this year would be so hard, dude.
Speaker 2: It's they're I mean you could they're they're all wide open. Yeah, they're all wide open. That's that's a good that's a good one from RJ.
Speaker 3: Though. We what's a fun tradition though, I mean we're not saying it's betting his mortgage payment on it. Put two bucks on it.
Speaker 2: And a fun thing between like you and your buds too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can get more anybody. Yeah, all that.
Speaker 2: And everything, certainly certainly a lot of fun. Good show today, fun getting back in here with you, Matt. Reminder, no Tuesday show, but then we'll be full steam ahead pedal to the metal Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday for Matt's favorite those first four acclamation practice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't get your hopes up for action from those guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll have a couple of things to get to. Oh, a lot of it will just be deployment. And at the same time, though, will.
Speaker 3: Howard Drew Aller, Oh, they didn't do stuff.
Speaker 2: Really, you better be able to make some throws when you're out there in shorts and there's no pass ration. Yeah, so there will still obviously be plenty.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I might make it sound like they're a standing around. It's just people. There's a couple of things throughout the year. People get too excited about the Hall of Fame games. Number one, absolutely, number one, wait for some football, all right. At least we see guys in paths like you don't know anyone after the but the acclamation periods another one. It's not training camp, it's not it's better than that. I'm psyched this could be. But you're watching it like this as well.
Speaker 2: In fact, by the time we get to Friday and Saturday's practices, I'll.
Speaker 3: Be like, oh, then your real tireracclamations.
Speaker 2: Pads on it, right, somebody right, right, But folks, it is all right ahead. It's an exciting time to be a Steeler fan, to be a football fan. It's an exciting time across Pennsylvania and across the National Football League. Matt and I can't wait to get out there and bring it all to you beginning on Wednesday. But that will do it for us today. Thanks to everybody who participated on the tweets and I've been anxiously awaiting our return for the last couple of weeks. Stay involved with us because we've got a lot of good stuff coming for Matt Williams and I'm Weshuuler. Take care, everybody. We will talk to you soon from the campus of Saint Vincent College at Chuck Nolefield in beautiful Latrobe. As always, you know where to find us. It's on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.