Speaker 1: From Markhart of Where Innovation, Money and Power Collie in Silicon Valley, NBN.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed loved Love.
Speaker 3: Live from Bloomberg's World headquarters in New York and Caroline High.
Speaker 4: And I'm at Lovelow here in New York City. This is Bloomberg Technology.
Speaker 5: And coming up.
Speaker 3: We have full coverage of the Instacart. Ipo is the grocery delivery and software company. He gets ready to trade this hour. Much more ahead grus.
Speaker 4: Apple seeing bright spots in China as iPhone sell out within minutes of being released.
Speaker 3: I must speak with Eric Whitman, the incoming CEO of photo and video app Visco, get his outlook for the social media company. But of course we want to really be digging in in the hot news of the day. This is largely around an IPO story Instagart, of course, finally a VC backed company coming to the markets. We're anticipating that first trade. kJ roof is here, also anticipating oil sources waiting with weighted breath. Remind us as to whether or not making money on this, because we do know that the valuation is significantly lower than in the heyday of COVID for them, sure, I.
Speaker 1: Think, you know, it depends on when they invested. I mean, if you know anyone who just invested in the Round in twenty twenty one where they were valued at thirty nine billion, they're not making money yet, if ever, but the investors that invested very early, you know, when it was just a tiny startup, then certainly you know it's turned into a multi billion dollar company, and you know, early indications show that this company is probably going to pop a significant pop, maybe like thirty percent or more, and so that would put it at or above the thirteen billion dollar valuation that the company lowered itself to last year, it's internal valuation. So the company was aware of market conditions and market realities. They knew that, you know, thirteen billion was you know, a more reasonable target more.
Speaker 5: Than a decade old.
Speaker 3: This company since it's founding, and has changed the way in which it sort of strategizes moves forward, particularly under Fijisimo, the new CEO.
Speaker 5: I spoke with.
Speaker 3: Her and discussed sort of the era of competition, and it really does feel as though figc's everyone as a competitor in many ways. They fundamentally though, say they are uncontested market leader in grocery delivery, but they can continuing to really gain share. They're looking at strengthening, in particular the competitive advantages of ultimately advertising of software.
Speaker 5: Katie, how's this company pivoted under Fiji?
Speaker 6: Sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So many people think of them just from the consumer facing side where they receive groceries, but obviously if you look at their revenue, they have a lot of different revenue streams. They have software they you know, to help with fulfillment. They've really strength in their advertising business, which is you know, they have so much data about consumers and what they like to buy, which is really valuable for people trying to advertise groceries. So they've done a lot of different things. And also they have subscriptions so people pay more to be regular customers and Instacart and something that's been a little controversial sometimes they charge more per the price of the item than what you would pay in store. So they're collecting revenue from customers in a lot of different ways and particularly from business partners.
Speaker 3: Now I don't know if my household is different, but actually it's my husband who generally does the grocery order by instacrat from time to time, but I spoke with Fiji about what this means is a moment. Look, there are very few women bringing companies to IPO. It's also notable that she feels that a lot of her customers are women. Seventy percent of the shoppers are women. So it's really important, she says, to build the right product and the right voices at the table. She's really been trying to lean into the amount of executives a divert us leadership team that she has Katie, but took us through that team. And what this means for well, not the founder, but certainly a female CEO to bring a company to list when we see what less than one percent of all IPOs being led by women.
Speaker 1: Yes, certainly it's a very low number of newly public companies that are holmed by a woman.
Speaker 5: But yeah, she makes a good point.
Speaker 1: I mean, a large percentage of household budgets are controlled by women. So you look at who a lot of the people are that are buying groceries, it's women, and so certainly, you know, it helps to bring that perspective.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, you know, she's the current CEO, she's someone who's very seasoned in the business world.
Speaker 5: She worked her.
Speaker 1: Way up at Facebook, being you know, one of one of the top executives there. So she's not some you know, junior person who didn't know what she was doing.
Speaker 5: She's you know.
Speaker 1: Already well respected in the tech world.
Speaker 3: A boy she wrote her advertising prowess to this particular business. Katie roof bringing us all the inside track on what is a VC unicorn finally listing after a couple of years hiatus. So let's get a little bit more on the world of IPOs and just talk to Nick Einhorn, his director of research over at re Naissance Capital.
Speaker 5: And we're on the trajectory. We've had ARM that popped.
Speaker 3: Yes, it seems to be rolling over somewhat now, but it wasn't BC backed. Now we get the likes of Instacart, then we look to a clavio.
Speaker 5: How important are these listings.
Speaker 7: Next, Yeah, they're definitely very important. It's really been two years with almost no tech IPOs, you know, one or two. Mobile Eye was a successful one last year, but these three deals in the last week are definitely a good barometer for the help of the tech iq market. And like you said, ARM has been public before. It's a very mature company. So it's really Instacart and Clavio that I think are the better indicator for where tech appetite is amongst investors right now.
Speaker 3: What do you make of the way in which this company has been listed? It was notable that they sort of priced on a Monday. That's not usual, but they really were trying to ride on the coattails. It felt like, of arm the fact that they've got a CFO who was at Goldman leading these sorts of issuances.
Speaker 5: We know that they're well.
Speaker 3: Navigating these sorts of markets, but the fact that we could get quite a big poppet seems like at.
Speaker 5: The original at the initial trade.
Speaker 3: Are they leading too much money on the table to have a successful IPO?
Speaker 7: I don't think so. I mean, we know we're in an environment where IQ market, the IP market has not been particularly strongly. We certainly there's a lot of caution out there in the department investors, and so I think they needed to convince investors that it was a good valuation that the stop was being positioned to trade well. They got the Cornerstone investors involved as well as the private placement from PepsiCo, so kind of a lot of things to sort of help make sure the deal is to success for investors. I think part of why go ahead just.
Speaker 5: A little bit about the competitive moat or lack thereof.
Speaker 3: Nick there's been some handwringing about really how much they can fight off not only some sort of frenemies, they're customers who might be building out their own e commerce plays.
Speaker 5: The fact that they are also seeing competitive elements from Amazon as well. Who is the key competitor for.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think there's definitely a bunch of them. Amazon has one door Dash, I think is an interesting one. Obviously they're more folks than restaurant delivery, but they've been building a grocery business over the last few years and they've taken a lot of share and kind of smaller transactions, so more impulse buys versus the weekly shop. Instacart thinks they still have a good advantage over the kind of the weekly purchasing, but DoorDash is definitely a key competitor. And then the resellers themselves, especially Walmart some of the other big ones are definitely competitors, but instacart also works with them a lot of them on the back end technology, So instagrat I think is trying to kind of shore itself up there.
Speaker 4: Nick, What have you learned about the risk tolerance that technology investors have now the IPO window broadly is open, back it up.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think there's definitely still some caution out there. We're not in the twenty twenty twenty twenty one mindset. But one indicator we look at is the Renaissance IPO Index, which is the underlying index for our ETF that tracks the IPO market, and that's of about thirty three percent year to date versus about seventeen percent for the US and P five hundred. So I've definitely seen some of that risk appetite come back into the space over the last year. It's still not where it was, but I think we're you know, we're in the right direction for ipoctivity to increase.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of excitement, right you know, there is some sort of IPO window back. And in the background you have the FED. We started talking about China, we started talking about the macro and the economy globally. How short lived do you think this IPO window is going to be?
Speaker 7: You know, I like to be optimistic. One indicator we look at a lot is the VIX, the volatility index, and that tends to signal whether ipactivity is increasing or decreasing, and that's been coming down this year. Generally it's in the teams now, I believe, so that's usually a good level for ipoctivity, but obviously a lot can change quickly, you know, Fingers crossed, we can maintain co activity going forward.
Speaker 5: Why getting renaissance capital on is so important for.
Speaker 3: Our viewers is because you are doing that hard work of pre IPO companies, bringing that research, that transparency. Who then are you waiting for? Who's waiting in the wings? When we think we get through this week of Instacart, of Klavio, is it on Taturo? Who are the other key names that you're going to be keeping and updating your research on.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Tiro updated their perspectives recently, so we think they're likely to come soon. Birkenstock filed a few weeks ago, obviously on a tech name, but a well known consumer name, following on from some successful consumer eCos in the summer. And then beyond that, there's a lot of companies that are waiting in the wings, probably looking to see how Instacart and clavi O do this week. You know, companies like everybody from Reddit, you know down the line, lots of tech companies, lots of companies and other industries. So we think there's definitely a big backlog. It's just a question of when they think conditions will be right.
Speaker 4: All right, Nick Iahorn, Renaissance Capital, thank you for you had time. I want to get a quick check on the markets because there's other stories out there driving individual names. When we're looking at is Block. Lisa Henry is leaving the company nine years at Block, she ran the Square business. Jack Dorsey, who is already at the head of Block and chairman of the board, is going to come in and run Square, and analysts saying they see that as a positive, even though it's a longtime leader leaving that company a stock that's not done well year today, Disney down almost four percent. They're doubling their CAPEX commitment for the Parks, Entertainment and Products division to sixty billion over a ten year period. They're going to be investing in the theme parts and cruise lines business. We're getting more insight into what Bob Eiger is doing now that he's back at Disney. What's the strategy that moving the stock lower and Amazon down two point eight percent. They've just announced they're hiring two hundred and fifty thousand seasonal workers for the holiday period, particularly in logistics. This is a company that ended the June quarter had one point four to six million employees, having actually cut back carrow as you know throughout the early parts of the year. That kind of weighing on the stock. It had been down anyway amid everything that's going on this week. And by the way, pick update on ARM. We're in its third trading session, fourth trading session now, and it's trading at fifty four dollars eighty cents. We're below the price where it opened on Thursday. Interesting how short lived that was in terms of the pop that we got and then the downward trajectory there after.
Speaker 3: Carro im a little profit taking, maybe a little still about that fifty one dollars were at price, but notable as we check on these other IPOs. But ed, I mean, we've got a wild story coming up for everyone because Microsoft has uploaded confidential documents to a federal court by mistake.
Speaker 5: It's all on that website. We'll have more and what they reveal that's next to this's a Bloomberg technology.
Speaker 4: Okay, time for some talking tech, and today we talk all things Microsoft, starting with its AI research team accidentally exposing a large cachet of private data on the software development platform give GitHub. That's according to a new research from a cybersecurity firm called Whiz. The exposed data included Microsoft employees, personal computer backups, secret keys, and more than thirty thousand internal Microsoft Teams messages. Plus Amazon's hiring Microsoft's product chief Panos Panai to run the division responsible for Alexa and Echo smart speakers. That according to Bloomberg sources, pana is almost twenty year veteran who led Microsoft Windows team and was central to the company's hardware push with its surface computers. And Microsoft plans to refresh the Xbox consoles in the holiday season of twenty twenty four. That's according to a products roadmap mistakenly posted online as part of its case against the FTC. The changes are improvements to power consumption, better wireless technologies and built in storage, and a physical redesign. This is one hell of a leak. Let's get more in it with Bloomberg Cecilia Deenastasio, who's with us in new York. Let's start with how on earth that information came to light?
Speaker 8: Thank you so much for having me. We are hearing that Microsoft accidentally leaked confidential documents about plans around new Xbox consoles, refreshed Xbox consoles as soon as twenty twenty four, upcoming games that have never been announced before, in a variety of things.
Speaker 5: Can we get to the bottom of how or who? Because there must be a lot of handwringing internally today.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of hand ringing internally today, especially because of the other leak that you readtest earlier bad week. Yes, our understanding at Bloomberg a source told us that it was not the FTC behind the leak, it was Microsoft.
Speaker 3: Okay, so Microsoft potentially some trying to trail back as to who and how?
Speaker 5: But does this happen often?
Speaker 3: Do we see these sorts of leaks and this sort of integral data that actually is very hard to find in terms of price points, in terms of ultimately ip that they're going to be a revealed.
Speaker 8: Gaming companies are famously very very secretive about upcoming plans around these things, and this is the biggest leak in Xbox history.
Speaker 4: It's fair to say Okay, I get it, there's a leak, leaks happen. The big news is we're getting a mid cycle Xbox console refresh, which just doesn't happen like and full discoasure. As Alreadien says, I'm a PS five guy right now, what do we know about this new Xbox?
Speaker 8: I have to say, personally, I'm shocked because in June Xbox head Phil Spencer told me that he didn't see an imperative to have a mid cycle refresh, and so we're kind of trying to reconcile.
Speaker 5: This competing information now.
Speaker 8: But it is typical for after four years a console to come out with a refresh that has increased storage, like you were saying, and things along those lines.
Speaker 4: So I guess bigger pictures. We did get some insight into Microsoft's video game strategy. What did we learn.
Speaker 8: We learned that Xbox is planning in mid cycle refresh as soon as twenty twenty four and a new console as soon as two thousand in twenty eight. Of course, these plans are subject to change, as everything in the gaming industry can be very volatile all the time. We learned about updates to beloved games, including from Bethesda, which is part of Xenomax, which Microsoft acquired as well. We learned about discussions around acquiring and Nintendo, which we knew that those discussions had happened. We didn't know that the board was interested as well until the recent weeks.
Speaker 3: This morning, I mean in is macro context where we're thinking of a federal reserve tomorrow, eyeing inflationary pressures. I'm interested that price points aren't going to be going up in my twenty twenty four it is.
Speaker 8: Surprising because the price points on video games have gone up from sixty dollars to seventy dollars. But consoles are you know, something that are there are a luxury items. They're very expensive, and especially when gaming PCs are becoming increasingly popular and eating up more and more of kind of what people would spend on consoles.
Speaker 5: You know, it makes sense, sense.
Speaker 4: Makes sense. Bloomberg Cecilia Diannastasio on set here in New York. Thank you know. Apple's iPhone fifteen is off to a strong start in China. The new iPhone sold out on China's team all within a minute of becoming available, according to the site's operator. For more, I'm going to bring a Bloomberg Intelligence senior tech analyst and a rag Rana and Arag you and I and Caroline have been talking about China for a week now. When it comes to Apple, what is your first impressions of how the next gen handsets doing.
Speaker 6: No, it's a good news.
Speaker 9: And as we have talked before, China is the biggest wildcard for Apple over.
Speaker 4: The next twelve months.
Speaker 6: So any news like this is good news for Apple.
Speaker 9: There's iPhone sales, which do you know, all of us know will dictate Apple's over all financial performance in the neodom.
Speaker 4: So in the June quarter, Apple went from a three percent year one year decline to an eight percent hotline growth. And what Tim Cook said was it with switches, and my understanding of switches, it's somebody buying an iPhone for the first time or transferring from a domestic brand. How do you see the technology upgrades on this next gen iPhone fifteen being a part of that switching story.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean our analysts in Asia already told me a while ago that the camera upgrade is such a big deal that it's going to drive a lot of enthusiasts to go out and get the Promacs model, which is what excited us most during the event that actually the pricing for that went up, So overall, I think this is a good thing because people are upgrading for the new camera. It's going to drive ASP's, it's going to drive new units, So I think it's good news for Apple at.
Speaker 3: This point, aer can you line up where you take the most signals from when, particularly when it comes to China, we're all trying to read those tea LEAs at the moment, and yes, we've got team all they're selling out within a minute or so.
Speaker 5: But then Barklays is saying.
Speaker 3: Early pre order data from China continues to point to difficult iPhone fifteen cycle negative mix shift.
Speaker 5: Where do you go for the signals that are the right read so, you know.
Speaker 9: One of the things you have to think about. I think about it from Apple's point of view. They do want to ship these things if there are are orders. So when we look at lead times and we track it every day, you know, sometimes it's very difficult to say whether it is because of the changing mixshift of the model with some supply issues, or is it just a demand. I think this is why we need several more weeks of data before we can you know, comfortably say that apples sales are going to be healthy over the next twelve months because December quarter is the big quarter for you know, all consumer electronics and apples, you know, no different there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, augustantly overweight price target two hundred and fifteen. They two are saying that actually the China day points are better than expected. So we try to dissect where to get the real takeaway. Can you update a little bit on your warries and risks around China? It felt like the narrative of last week after their event, what then of now are you getting any more signals on just the sturdiness of consumer and indeed government purchases.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think Mark Gouman, you know really, you know, I talk to him about it, and it really one of the things you have to remember that last time something like this happened was increased rise of nationalism in China. It did have a negative impact on Apple. So we just want to make sure that because what the government said for you know, the government falls, which is not new news, it's been around for a while, but it was splashed around quite a bit that it didn't change the consumer behavior, and so far it looks like things are on track for Apple, but again we need a lot more data to be comfortable for the next financial year.
Speaker 4: You know, just reflecting on being at Cubatino last week, and there was a lot of emphasis on the color selection for the Pro, the higher EnPro and Promax because in China, red and gold resonate with the consumer. We didn't get that. But the Chinese consumer also tends to favor the latest technology, you know, powerful processing, next generation camera. In your analysis, Anak, do you see a differentiation between consumer behaviors in North America, Europe, China?
Speaker 9: Oh, it's massive behavior. I mean, gold Wild do really well in India, Middle East. I mean, I can you know, think of a few more countries. You know, I personally I'm going to get the blue one next on Friday, but I know a lot of people who would want the red and the gold.
Speaker 3: If anyone wants to know, I would definitely be a gold kind of a gal. But I then go and buy a really ugly, clunky thing to cover.
Speaker 5: It all up so that I don't broke it.
Speaker 3: Ara Rana, thank you enjoy your blue version Bloomberg Intelligence. And I mean ed the fact that you just said it's a week ago. Oh, just over that your own Kupertino. Time just flies. But this really was the purpose point that we were hearing from Apple. So the new unveil and as to whether or not, it seems as though the mixed signals are pointing.
Speaker 5: That it is a positive.
Speaker 4: It's why going over the technology so important. You know. The story was the Chinese government saying to government agencies and state enterprises, tell your staff to leave their iPhone at home. Get a Chinese brand. With that impact the psychology of the Chinese consumer at large, Well, that's what we just talked about. No, they like color preferences, they want the latest technology five years data tell us.
Speaker 5: That, so foldable phones.
Speaker 3: There's a great piece on the terminal about the lack of foldable coming from up Yeah, it was funny.
Speaker 4: So when we're in Google I earlier in the year, they came out with pixel fold and they had really high compute and then we started talking about running AI generative AI locally on devices. For me, it's just a feel in the hand thing, you know, clunkiness of folding the phone. But maybe that resonates in China too.
Speaker 3: And we know that the price point resonates in China also resonates for the bottom line and the fact that this is going to be driving up average selling prices, so certainly some price targets still on the high side for Apple well combat to bluemot technology. I'm Caroline had in neil my.
Speaker 4: Med love Loo in San Francisco. If we're not you're here, Oh my goodness, how how did I get here? Let's move on quickly and cover that with markets. Na's that one hundred tech leading losses in public markets. Remember, the FED makes its decision in twenty four hours time. Widely expected to hold rates follow rates because they discount the future values of present cashloads the other way round. But also if your private market investor and you're looking at public proxies, if you're paying attention as well Bitcoin, as you've been discussing in the past week, Caroline continues to kind of march a little bit higher despite the risk of sentiment that we are seeing. But look at yields creep higher as well. I think all eyes on the FED despite what's happening in other areas of the public markets.
Speaker 3: In the tech sector, Yeah, we've got to go micro as all eyes on one particular IPO today we're awaiting where at trades instacart our own Sinalibus suckers, of course.
Speaker 5: Keeping your breast to where we're going to be going. From a price pat it looks like it's going to pop. Yes, we are waiting for it to open.
Speaker 10: And then it's indicated to price around forty two dollars a share. That makes it more than a forty percent pop if it makes it at the open. It also gives it a valuation upon the open at about fourteen billion dollars that is not only above where it expected to be valued at out of the gate, it also is above it's a most recent funding round when it was valued and slashed its own internal valuation to closer to thirteen billion dollars. And so Pondie Ipo Pop, you are getting a little bit of boosted valuation. It still, as we've been talking about, a far cry from that thirty nine billion dollar valuation that it was able to inc in the heydays of the pandemic for Instacart when a lot of people were using the delivery app. Now I know you and I will talk about this later, but the cell that Instacart might have as an AI focused company, it doesn't even meet what you would get from Klavio as well, that is pitching the same type of idea here and is expected to price tonight. In Instacart's wake. You had also Klavio up their IPO pricing range as well. Let's see if they're able to meet that, especially because the markets they're meeting are a little more muted than the markets we saw last week that ARM had listed into.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting that ARM is coming off of those previous highs.
Speaker 5: But ARMS big cell.
Speaker 3: It's an artificial intelligence empowering company. And I actually spoke to Fijisimo about really the AI pitch that she's trying to take to the investor at the moment, and she's saying, look, with generative AI in particular, really big opportunity to make the grocery even more convenient. We have all the data, they've got the expertise that making that experience happen. But look it does take time, Shanali. But that's sort of their mode, isn't it. The fact that they've got this proprietary data that others aren't going to be able to have. That's going to be a tough sell though. To remind people to go with them over the competition, particularly not only for an investor that's institutional, but a retail investor that they're pitching to right now.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's a great question, and you're talking about the retail investor. Remember this is the first IPO underwritten by so Far, which is one of the secondary underwriters in this particular ipo. We've seen so Far, for example, serve as an allocator to almost a dozen IPOs besides this one. But to the point you're making, this is the idea of bringing more retail interest in as far as the moat goes. You're right, they are pitching their own data as it pertains to and their client base here. But there is a general concern about what the margins for this business looks like, and how fast they can keep diversifying bringing in kind of that ad money as well, and what the broader economic environment looks like. Throughout the programming today, we've been talking about how much the consumer can come under pressure with some of these inflationary forces. Still at the fore, I would say Instacart Playbo hitting the market right before that big bed decision. Timing is everything in the IPO market. And remember we do have a scenario here in which even with the market flat to lower for the SAP five hundred Nasdaq and the SOCK Semiconductor Index, you still.
Speaker 5: Have these IPO pops.
Speaker 10: It just tells you how much is that steak here for investors who want a play at new shares as well as remember the question at beginning all day, who wins? Think about Sequoia D one, which will still have a very significant stake in this post IPO, as well as some of the founders themselves of these large investment firms Dan Sundeim personally, we'll have a steak in Instacart out of the listing.
Speaker 3: Well said, I mean, we're looking at the ticking higher in terms of the indication price now at forty two dollars sixty one Shinali. The fact that they have like arm taken that playbook of having a lot of intentional investors who are going to be sticking around taking a huge amount. I think about two thirds of the overall shares that are going on offer already been allocated to some of these lynchpin investors, the Petsicos of this world. What did you make of that sort of new tactic that we have going on Yeah, it's interesting limiting.
Speaker 10: The flow, drumming up interests, PepsiCo being involved from the beginning. Clavio has a different set of cornerstone investors, more along the lines of the investment community, the lines of an alliance. Bernstein involved early on. But there seems to be the Goldman Sacks playbook, doesn't it. They are leading this round of IPOs. They were one of the lead underwriters on ARM, they are lead on the Instacart, they are lead on Klavio. It is a big moment for Goldman Sacks in this wave of tech listings, Instacart, CFO as well. We know had that Goldman sax Alma mater that expertise over there in terms of what it means to take a company public, especially in the world of TMT, technology, media and telecom. That's also, by the way, the relationship that brought in so far with Anthony Nodo formerly in that world at Goldman Sachs as well. The new kids in town are David Ludwig, who leads Global Equity capital Markets over at Goldman Sachs. Kem Posnett, who recently took over as head of TMT at Goldman Sachs. Big moments for them, Armor was of success. Instacart is looking like it's about to be more than forty percent of a pop on day one even in a down market and Claveyo tonight trifecta.
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, all eyes on Nick Giovanni, who's going to be waiting with baited breath. Of course, the CFO of in Stacat, who is overheading DMT globally for Goldman up until twenty twenty on Shanali. Always so great to get your perspective when it comes to the ins and outs of what's happening on Wall Street and the people behind these sorts of deals.
Speaker 5: We also know that people that have been backing these.
Speaker 3: Sorts of deals are of course the bench capital community. And let's time therefore dig into VC Spotlight. We're taking a look at well overall the IPO pipeline, the excite that breeds for certain players such as M thirteen. And we've got the General Partner joining us about some of the areas they've been allocating to of late. Latif peruccha In leads the firms investing strategy focusing on digital health, particular on fintech, you've got what nine hundred million dollars in assets under management and just for a moment, the IPO, the excitement, the exuberance of some companies that are VC backed becoming public.
Speaker 5: What does that mean when you're writing a series A check.
Speaker 11: Thanks Caroline, thanks Ed for having me on. It's incredibly exciting. I mean to unlock the IPO markets really then unlocks the growth market, which as an early stage investor, ultimately that's what we're looking for. And there's Instacart, Clavios tonight, and then we think there's a significant pipeline of really great companies that will unlock after that. So it's very exciting and the best companies go public and so we are always as vcs investing in early stage looking for those generational companies to go IPM.
Speaker 4: Is it really that much of a domino effect? So you see several companies go public. If you are a startups done series ABCD through M, does that open up the opportunity then for you to do a big growth stage round because there's more money going into public markets as well.
Speaker 11: It all trickles from the public market, and so the growth investors that fund our companies need to return capital to their investors. We all have to return capital to our investors. And the way that the momentum will work is for the IPOs that will start to unmarck, they'll start to return capital, and then they can invest that new fresh funds into our companies, which is going to be required ultimately to get them to the scale that a clavier or Instacra is today.
Speaker 4: I'm fascinated by valuations at all end of the curve for startups. You know, those names that have gone public in this past week really emphasized artificial intelligence as if it was going to help them out. Is the same thing happening at the other end in early stage where you attach AI to your domain name, your valuation goes up.
Speaker 11: That happens, and we're very sensitive to that as a firm. You know, we really believe in hype cycles and being very sensitive to where we are in high cycles. But high cycles can be a good thing in AI. You know, it allows for boardroom conversations and budgets to open up, and that can really help our companies. But we're very sensitive to the valuations that early stage companies can attach and making sure that the founders that are building these companies really have domain expertise in AI and have a clear path to show how the AI is going to enable some product or service that can service and customers.
Speaker 3: And everyone's been trying to push that forward, like where is the disruption coming? Which industry groups legal clear healthcare has been time and time again referenced.
Speaker 5: Is that something that you're focusing in on.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's a big focus for our firm and for me personally. If you look at healthcare in this country, it's four trillion to spend nearly twenty percent of GDP and I think we're really still in the very early days of the digital transformation. So we've at the firm invested in really innovative care delivery models around new areas of medicine like form which is a market leader, and obesity, and we've spent a lot of time now focusing in on how can you use AI to really support clinicians and health systems to drive better care and ultimately better outcomes for patients. And that's really always our end goal is how can you deliver better outcomes and simultaneously rip costs out of the system.
Speaker 3: I mean, we had a VC on from underscoore VC yesterday based in Boston. We're thinking of Fujisimo and her team and Instacart celebrating in San Francisco today. Doesn't matter where these founders, where these businesses are being cultivated, being born, how are you getting access to all of them?
Speaker 11: Founders can be built, you know, anywhere. We will go anywhere to find the best founders. Ultimately, what we're focused on is founders that have real domain expertise. And so I'd love to give you an example of a company we just announced called kar Gnostics, which is providing localized AI for health systems and so it ingests the healthcare data healthcare system am I doing so it's able to detect diseases much earlier. So of the four trillion of spend in the US, ninety percent of it is because chronic diseases go undiagnosed. And so they've shown and have great data to show that chronic kidney disease, for example, they can identify three times a number of patients. They can identify twenty times the number of asthma patients much earlier on. And this can really drive tremendous you know, health spans and lifespans for patients, and that to us is really really critical.
Speaker 6: So we'll go anywhere.
Speaker 11: But ultimately, in the case of this company, the CEO is based in Philadelphia. So I took this the short train ride over and sat down, and you know, we did a deal in that company. The founder, we think is a leading a expert in the world.
Speaker 4: All right, and thirteen in general, passa latif pratcha, thank you so much. Coming up here on bloom Big Technology, how one company is helping other businesses better adapt to the work from home model. My goodness, we have a debate coming up. We'll talk to you vendor Bill, the see of remote that's next. This is Bloomberg Technology. It's breaking news. Crossing the Bloomberg terminal, Clavy Oh is said to plan to sell IPO shares for twenty nine dollars or more. Believe the range have been twenty seven to twenty nine, boosted up from twenty five to twenty seven twenty four hours ago. A lot of twenties. But what Bloomberg's reporting is Clavio said to plan to sell its IPO shares for twenty nine dollars or more. That is the one that we're waiting for Wednesday. A lot more going on before then, but we'll keep tracking the latest on that listing now back to Bloomberg Technology is the worst of the pandemics. Of sides, the debates over working from home have gained more traction, with many workers wanting to stay home for various reasons, while many CEOs want them back in the office. In the past week, the number of US workers that have returned to the office jumped fifty percent from pre pandemic levels. Where human resources platforms like remote come in interesting name Today is launching its global HR platform to assist companies with hiring management and joining us from San Francisco is its CEO, Van Dervolt. Thank you for joining us here in Blue met Technology. I want to start with the debate. You're kind of pinning the company on this future where hybrid work at least or remote work continues. Why do you have such faith in that model?
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, thank you for having me.
Speaker 12: It's not so much that we think about whether people are working from home or working remotely. It's more that what we see is that moredern businesses they hire people from everywhere. It's very hard to find great people in the director insanity of your office, and what we see is that more and more businesses start to look for talent internationally, and so that's really where we focus at and that's what we help facilitate companies to find people hire people truly anywhere.
Speaker 4: So this platform you've announced, it's intended to help companies with staff in multiple jurisdictions, not just companies, but all over the world. Why is that needed? Why was there a gap in the market for that.
Speaker 12: So up until now, we would help companies hire people abroad, and this was usually a small number of people is what is called.
Speaker 6: An employer record.
Speaker 12: And as we've grown, what we realized is that many of these companies ended up having multiple SQS offices in different countries, and what they had to do to be able to support all of those is hire or a bunch of people locally and buy a whole bunch of software and.
Speaker 6: Then try to hook it up together.
Speaker 12: Now we've built this international infrastructure to actually make sure that you can stay compliant, and we've made it into a single platform, so rather than having five tools for five different countries, now you.
Speaker 6: Can do all of it with us directly.
Speaker 5: It feels like a competitive space. I was just speaking with the deal founder.
Speaker 3: You're remote, what are the various offerings at the moment, particularly coming from some really well backed VC backed startups. Right now.
Speaker 12: I mean for us, we focus on compliance first, and that is how we build our platform, and it means that we run pay well for you regardless of how somebody is employed, whether it's through us, through your own entity. We can help your payout contractors, but above all, we help you maintain compliance across the world.
Speaker 6: In your team. So that means that we can help you on board people.
Speaker 12: Also off board people, help them with conversation and really everything that comes with hiring somebody in any place.
Speaker 6: In the planet.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about any place on the planet, because we know that there has been prior to perhaps the current slowdown, ferocious talent wars. Now then people start to let people go, and what became abundantly clear was it's harder to let go of certain employees in certain regions. I'm thinking of our home area of Europe at the moment. How is that factoring into how people are starting to rehire, particularly when it comes to the area of AI. There is expertise in France, but it's also quite hard to let go of workers there. How does that factor into some of your client's perspective.
Speaker 6: That's absolutely true.
Speaker 12: I think one of the things that we try to do is help inform our customers what is the trade off you want to hire somebody great in.
Speaker 6: Friends, Well, this is what you have to think about.
Speaker 12: The way I think about it is that if you are committed to hire somebody, you take into account that it might cost a bit more if you end up having to let the person go. But at the same time, that individual gets significantly more protections and it's much less likely to leave you as an employer.
Speaker 6: And so there's an ups and the downs to either situation.
Speaker 12: But above all, we believe that companies ultimately want to hire great people and we will facilitate that no matter where they are.
Speaker 6: Yeh.
Speaker 4: We started the segment talking about the data we have for return to office. What does the data you have tell you about the movement of people back to office spaces.
Speaker 12: Well, in our case, the one thing that we really look at is whether companies are hiring more internationally. So we don't really know if people are working from an office or where they're working from home or anywhere else. But what we do see is that people hire companies hire more and more internationally. And that trend continues to grow, especially as certain roles are in very high demand, like for example, AI researchers. Well you're going to hire it them no matter where they are, and dead strength continues to expand and at market continues to grow very much.
Speaker 5: You're great to have some time with you.
Speaker 3: Thank you your fand of Wuerte is CEO of Remote Meanwhile, coming up, so many more executive discussions to have. So we actually have some breaking news as well because instacart has started trading at forty two dollars a share. Remember they priced their shares at thirty dollars a share, so now we have a poper in excess of some forty percent, So forty two dollars a share in your opening trade.
Speaker 5: When it comes to the parent company that is Maplebear, of.
Speaker 3: Course is what they've chose when the name to still stick with, but is of course Instacart. And we do see overall that this is a company that's managing to have a significant rise on the opening trade. It's taken a fair few hours, and of course it always does, but forty percent on the nose, we're currently up thirty nine percent, as you see in the first trade, and very pleased to say we've got one. Abigail Doolittle has been standing by waiting for this moment, and boy, it's even bigger tick higher than we had for ARMED in previous week.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's very impressive, Caroline. Indeed, we have the shares of Instacart trading hire by thirty nine percent right now, so we're looking at evaluation that is closer to fourteen billion. It had been priced, of course, at thirty dollars a share, which would have been a roughly ten billion dollar valuation, So a very strong opening of forty two percent at this point. And they of course raised six hundred and sixty million dollars and they've sold twenty two million shares, fourteen point one million going to the company and then seven point nine million going to other investors such as Tiger and Co too, So you can imagine that some of these investors are really pretty happy now. It is interesting though, of course, the twenty twenty one valuation thirty nine billion dollars. But the Instacart or excuse me, the IPO window that was opened last week by ARM seems to be successful right now for Instacart and then TenneT of course, for klave Yow, and then there's other filings out there such as Birkenstock. One big question will of course be technology next year. This is really important, especially since rates are still high. It puts pressure on some of these high growth issues. Now, one thing I would note that you and Ed have noted all hour is the fact that ARM opened very strong, up twenty five percent, but in the three days that have followed down about five percent each day. It'll be interesting to see whether or not this one can hold on to its gains. It's also interesting, Caroline to note the fact that back during the pandemic, during the big IPO, I don't know if Bubble is correct, but you had Bumble, you had Airbnb and some of those other names popping eighty ninety percent on the day.
Speaker 5: So not quite there.
Speaker 13: But nonetheless, given the fact that this is the second big IPO of this year, up thirty nine percent, not so shabby.
Speaker 5: At all eleven billion.
Speaker 3: Now we have it currently at a market capitalization. Abigail did a little thank you. Let's come out to Shanali Bassett because boy Nick Giovanni CFO is going to be pleased with a way in which that seems to be stated for the opening trade, But what do they need to do to ensure this demand was there?
Speaker 5: They really curtailed supply. They had locked in cornerstone investors.
Speaker 10: Yeah, locking in those investors was a key to the success of this IPO, as we know for arm as well, and as we know Clayvio coming tonight has done a similar thing in terms of locking in those big names early on.
Speaker 5: Now when we look at.
Speaker 10: The trading today, still it was able to achieve that forty percent pop, even as it increased its pricing range in the days leading up to the IPO, as well as selling at the top end of that range. As we were talking here in the last thirty even as we found that Klavio as well may seek to price at the high end of the range or even higher, and so you're seeing excitement coming into these stocks early on. We know that these big cornerstone investors played a key role in the IPOs, but we also know that retail investors are also playing a very key role in these first day pops. You look at the NAVDAC trading last week and you look at the likes of Fidelity and just how many orders came in the day of when it came from the retail flow, and you think about the role of Sofi as well, also led by former Golden banker Anthony Noo, and they are the underrat for the first time, putting capital up play for an IPO in the Instacart listing. Now again they are front rating some economic events the FED decision tomorrow. Clavio also looking ahead to get any potent get ahead of any potential volatility in the market. But what an interesting data list. Even with the SMP down, the Nasdaq down, the nas like one hundred and composite, the Socks Semiconductor Index down, you are getting a forty percent pop at the opening trade for instacart as well as more excitement around future IPOs to the point you're making more in the pipeline. Birkenstock's also looking to go public. A lot of these companies with the AI play looking to also go public. Our sources telling us people trying to really front load those IPOs into the first quarter of next year, trying to really capitalize on all of this investor interest that.
Speaker 3: Is coming into new Stock and ahead of any political disruptions that might come as we look towards an election as well. Shananli Massak fantastic to get the ins and outs. I want to give context because context is everything, and Jackie Davlos has that for us, because you've been following instacart four years and it's interesting. I look back to a press release that was in twenty twenty when the company weighed six hundred million backed by D one Capital Partner is out of valuation to seven point six billion. Today they raised six or sixty million, with evaluation about eleven million.
Speaker 5: And they go public. It's been a long old road, Jackie.
Speaker 2: It's been over ten years in the making. As a startup. Instacart raised nearly three billion dollars from huge investors Fidelity, D One, Tiger, and since then they've really matured as a business. But let's kind of take a step back. Before Fijisimo took the helm a few years ago, the business was run by a poor Vametto who had really placed the consumer facing app at the forefront of the business. And it got a major tailwind with the pandemic people ordering online. But that couldn't stick around forever. You had competition rolling in from Uber and door Dash, other bigger players, Walmart starting its own delivery business, Amazon trying to kind of get into the play, and so you had the business really getting pressure by an investors in the market broadly to really diversify its revenue streams. And when Fijisimo came in, as you remember, she was a former meta Facebook executive who really built that monetization strategy incorporate advertising, and it was no different when she came into Instackhart really built out that revenue stream and from one of the things that we learned from the s one that advertising revenue now accounts for thirty percent of its overall revenue and it's going to be incredibly important. So this IPO is not just about showing, look, we're giving some liquidity back to our employees, but this is the business that's now matured and what they have to offer going forward.
Speaker 5: Jackie devlos Well said, context changes everything.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, of course I am noting that the context is this is a female bringing an IPO. Less than one percent of IPOs are brought by women.
Speaker 5: Now, I know.
Speaker 3: Fijisimos we thought of as a leader. It doesn't matter that whether she's female whatever. But of course, well for some it's worth noting from.
Speaker 5: New York verty to say that that does for this edition of Blueberg Technology.
Speaker 6: ED.
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't forget. Recap the show on our podcast. You can find it wherever you get yours, Terminal, Spotify, iHeart, and Apple. This it's Blueberg Technology.