Speaker 1: Hey, this is Bryce Harper and welcome to The Philly Show.
Speaker 2: Ruben Tomorrow, Junior, Jim Salisbury, Todd's lucky.
Speaker 1: It's the Phillies Show.
Speaker 2: It's Wednesday, July twenty ninth, twenty twenty six, and the Phillies need help.
Speaker 3: The help.
Speaker 2: Bryce Harper said, the Phillies need help on Tuesday night, and I think, guys, we should start right there.
Speaker 1: It's time for first pitch.
Speaker 2: First pitch is brought to us by Monster Energy. So Phillies lose on Tuesday Night.
Speaker 1: One nothing. Guys.
Speaker 2: It's the sixth time in eleven games since the All Star Break they have lost or have scored only one run or less. That's not good. And after the game, we're talking to Bryce Harper, Ruben, we're Jim and I are in the clubhouse with some others and asked him if he's concerned about the way the offense is playing. He said, not really.
Speaker 1: We've faced a lot of studs, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Noel McLain, Cam Schlidter, you know, Sandy al Contra, and it was Matt Gelp said, well, you know you're you're going to face a lot of good pitching in the postseason. You know you think you guys can do it, and he said, we need some help. I think we need some help, you know. I think we've proved pretty much all year. We've done a pretty good job. But anytime you can get some help in here and reinforcements, I think it helps.
Speaker 1: He's not wrong.
Speaker 3: Well that's entered that that makes the front office feel very good. Number one, So there's a couple of things. I mean, listen, I mean, you can't blame Bryce Harper for being himself. I mean, this is we've seen this before from him, and he's being honest and being open about things. A couple of things about it. One, it sort of throws both the front office under the bus and his teammates under the bus. I mean, it's a combination of things they're basically saying, and he's probably not wrong, but you typically don't say those things out of the clubhouse. But I mean, Bryce Harper is Bryce Harper. He says what he wants to say, and he's been given the platform to be able to do that. It's typically it's not something you not hear Kyle Schwarber say those words, for instance, at a deference to you know, his teammates and that's just not how he operates. But that's what you know, I guess that's the beauty of Bryce Harper in this day and age. It You know, he will, he will speak his mind. The reality of it is the guys in the room that are currently in the room, they sort of have to play better. And it's very obvious when Kyle Schwarber in particular is not in the lineup, he's battling him intense simi issues right now. When he's not in the lineup, it's a very very different team. It's to be like not having Aaron Judge in your lineup, which is what the New York Yankees are dealing with. And in fact, offensively they be even like, well worse than the Yankees with Aaron Judge out of lineup. They just have not swung the bats all that well consistently. They're runners in scoring position numbers very poor. Their situational hitting has not been great. It went through a stretch where they were pretty solid, but that stretches over and over these last couple of weeks and maybe over closer to a month. It's the offensive has been has been lacking, There's no question about it. Turners picked it up a little bit. Marsh's dropped off pretty significantly. You're not getting production out of Schwerber right now because he can tends to be a little bit streaky. But you know, this is a team that probably has to, you know, look in the mirror a little bit again and get whatever it was that happened when you know, when Wheelers showed up and they made the move on on Topper. They're gonna have to get that mojo back because right now they're not playing a very good brand of baseball overall.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they It's it's interesting that you talk about when they made the move on top or how it got them going and they need to play like that again. I think that's very relevant because this is what it feels like. It feels like April again, the way they're playing, the funk that they're in, what three and eight since since the break, and you know, Todd, you mentioned the runs. They've scored six of those games twice, they've been shut out four times, they've scored one run. I mean, that is just staggering lack of production. And then Harper's in the spotlight last night. To me, the biggest reason the offense has struggled in these past eleven games as they're you know, they go from two back in the National League East to six pack. Is the three All Stars have have struggled and it happens. But you know, marsh has struggled really since the first of July. It's tough to see what he's going through. And Schwarber and Harper have not done much here coming out of the break, and I know they can, you know, both be streaky. Harper did hit a seed to the wall last night and maybe then had a home run the night before, So maybe that's an indication that he's a to get going here. They could certainly use him, but they need the three All Stars, like we say all the time, to be there, the three big boys. So hopefully this is Harper warming, because when you make comments like that, you really need to back it up. He has a history of backing it up. He has a history of speak in his mind. I mean, I remember early at his time here, he came out and really was very very critical of the farm system. If you remember that, Todd, And you know last night he comes out and he says we need help. I don't disagree with him. Part of me thought, okay, well, Dave Dombrowski was public and his critique of Bryce Harper in October. Now, Bryce is being very public about this and their needs. But but like I said, Bryce does have a history of that. He's not wrong. But when you speak up, you need to back it up. And like I said, he's not wrong. The front office needs to deliver as well, because we talked about it last week. For a three hundred million dollar team, this team is a staggering amount of holes and when your big boys go a little bit quiet, the holes become more gaping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Royce said on Monday in Miami that mentioned that he brought his outfield glove to Miami just in case they would get a first base and in the next few days and he needed to run back out the right field and play. I don't expect that will happen, But that also tells me that this is you know, he clearly wants something to happen and expects something to happen, and he's prepared for everything. I mean, but Rubin, you you mentioned like the front office that you know they're not that they don't love hearing that, But does it put any more pressure on on Dave? I feel like there's already just a ton of pressure on Dave to make some moves. You know, they need a bat, they need a starter, they need a reliever. They could probably use multiples of those things. They're not going to get multiples of those things. But does it put any more pressure on them? I got to imagine that Dave is feeling pressure just to you know, he's got to finish this job, and and and there are massive holes, and so he already knows, like what Bryce said, It's not like he doesn't know that already.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a definite pressure on the entire organization because as we've talked about, I mean, there's the window is is starting to you see it starting to close a little bit just because of the overall production of some of the big boys. The reality of it is, the big boys are going to have to produce, and it doesn't matter who they get. If they don't produce, then they're sort of not going to get where they need to go. So that has to happen first. Yes, there's no question, and additions would help, But Dave Dombrowski is in a really tough position. This is a tough spot to be in because they are limited with the amount. As much as they talk about having a lot of talent or having talent in the system, they don't have a lot of talent in the system as far as depth is concerned. They have some players, there's no question they have prospects there. But you know, the question is do you move all those prospects? And I you know, I talked about this in an earlier podcast about being bold. I mean, if they're going to go all in, then they better go all in. If they sort of can't go halfway and dip their toe in or put a foot in, because that's not really good to get it done because they have so many needs. So if they're going to make a big splash, then they're a I mean, if they want to really do something special or give themselves a better chance to win the World Series, they're not going to be able to do it with the players that they have right now. It does not seem particularly with the way they're playing. And so if they want to win the World Series, then then the splash is going to have to be pretty significant and multiples of them because as Jim said pointed out and we've talked about, there's multiple holes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there is Ruben, What would be if you were in the front office and a player was, yeah, made that comment. What would it do to you? Piss you off? Would it motivate you? Would you speak to the player? How would you How would you react?
Speaker 3: Uh, it would piss me off? Yes, And then I would probably have a chat with he and or his uh, his representative or the two of them. I'd probably have a chat with Boris and and and and Harp maybe one on one, you know, and just let him know, Yeah, obviously we're trying to we're working hard to do and what we're doing, but you know, nothing is a guarantee. I mean, making trades it's a very difficult thing to do, especially when you have so many teams that are in the hunt. It is, and you know, you're battling other clubs as far as overall talent that they are willing to part with or the assets that they may have. So mean, it's a difficult it's a difficult time of the year. There's already a ton of pressure that you apply on upon yourself, especially when you're a buyer, to go get quality players and fits and honestly don't really need any of that, you know, any more of that, particularly in this day and age when everything's so public. So yeah, I probably would have a little chat with him, but but also realize that this is who he is, I mean, and have the expectation that these are sorts of the sort of things that you know that's that that are going to happen and things that he's going to say because he's this is nothing new, He's done it before.
Speaker 2: So Dave Dombrowski has been unavailable to reporters this week, but he did talk to Greg Murphy on Tuesday night on the Phillies Radio pregame show, and I want to read you something he said to Murph right after these words.
Speaker 5: Big second half of the season coming up, there might be a hot ticket, a rivalry series, a sold out experience they need to get your hands on, and sea Geek is the spot for that. You can find good good pricing. They help you with the pricing green dot good, red dot not as good, and they help you with your view of the seat for some big matchups coming up in August, September and eventually leading up to playoffs.
Speaker 6: Why would you not use seekeek if you want a view from your seat, you want to know if it's a good seat, if it's a good deal.
Speaker 4: It has all of it on the app.
Speaker 6: It's easy to use.
Speaker 3: It's one click boom.
Speaker 6: You buy the tickets, they send them right to you get them on the app, and then you can go check out whatever game, whatever you're a fan of, if you can go to, whether it's baseball, whether it's concerts, whatever you're into, you can find a ticket and you can always try to find the green dot on.
Speaker 5: And for MLB tickets, you can get ten percent off with that promo cover running all season long.
Speaker 1: Territory one zero.
Speaker 5: That's territory ten off your next set of MLB tickets at Sea Geek. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: All right, we're back. So Dave Dave hopped on the.
Speaker 2: Phillies Radio show pregame show with Greg Murphy, and he was asked, you know, he's asked a few things about the trade deadline. Made it sound as though he expects most of the stuff to happen within like maybe twenty four hours of the deadline, just because everybody's in the wildcard race right now, other than like five teams. So he said he spoke to one al or one one executive maybe on the AL side, and the Ale guy's like, well, right now, we're in it.
Speaker 1: So I don't know what we're gonna do. Give me a few days and I'll get back to you.
Speaker 2: But we've talked a lot about how this farm system is not very highly regarded. Baseball America I think has them like twenty ninth MLB pipeline has them like bottom ten. Now, Dave of course, defends his prospects and he says, I've never been in a position where i haven't had players to make a trade. Never when I've had the strongest minor league system, which was in Montreal, or I've had systems that haven't been as regarded as being as strong. Never had that issue. It's sometimes just a matter of who you will be willing to give.
Speaker 1: Up for what quality player.
Speaker 2: So that's what you always have to weigh in your mind. And we have plenty of good players. Now, if you start stacking up some versus some other organizations, Let's say you're talking about the best player on the mark, on the out on the market, and you're offering three players, and they're offering three players. Maybe they have three better players to offer.
Speaker 1: Than you do.
Speaker 2: But it is but it isn't that you don't have players to offer.
Speaker 4: But he Yeah, hit the nail on the head. The quality of the give equals the quality.
Speaker 3: Of the retur right, right?
Speaker 4: Do they have enough quality on the gift side to get the the type of impact player and players that they need without dipping into you know, Painter Wood, Crawford, and I think they're gonna listen on all three of them, depending on what their return is. I think they'd be willing to power with any one of those three. And you can say, painters values down, you're selling the lowe. What has he done? I'll tell you what. There are a lot of teams out there and a lot of pitching coaches, a lot of pitching labs that think there's a lot of talent there and they can fix them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then there's guys like McFarlane who throws hard. There's the guys. There's there's Miller who is still on the mend. Does he become an actual part of this piece? So there's players there. How does this affect the long term situation for the Phillies, and that's what you typically, that's what you have to weigh. I mean, that's why I just don't know that they have the depth necessary for them to continue the window unless if they move, and they are bold and move some of the biggest pieces that they have, whether that's going to be sustainable and they bring back players that they can hold on to for multiple years. If they're going to move some of the quality that they're going to have to move to get what they need, then the players that they get back are going to have to be, in my mind, can't be rental players. Otherwise you're really putting your organization in a terrible spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't think anybody's ever said to about the Phillies. They have nobody to trade. But kind of going back to Dave's quote there, it's more of as you guys just said, can they put together a package of talent that can match or beat another team that has that same need? Can they beat that other pas keep town from another organization. I think that's the question. We'll find out, uh in the you know, in the next in the next few days. So that was first pitch by Monster Energy. Monster Energy Unleash the Beast Bold Flavors legendary kick. Stop by your local retailer and grab one before first pitch this afternoon because the Phillies play their series finale in Miami at twelve ten PM.
Speaker 3: So let's they could very well get swept. I know, Lozardo, I mean, they're in a situation while with Lizardo pitching Todd, there's a lot of pressure on him pitching in his hometown today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they they need ad.
Speaker 4: Let's let's not forget. And I kind of had to remind myself of this a couple of times last night as I'm watching this. The Miami Marlins came into this series as losers of twelve in a row. Twelve in a row. The Phillies just were their medicine.
Speaker 2: And then you think back to what happened on Monday. They get on Zach Wheeler and that Jim we were in the press box and I think you, I think you might have said this during the game. He said they're going to come back and win this game because.
Speaker 4: The Marlins they had that look and had did a really good job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then and then Juan Duran got got hit nude.
Speaker 1: Who would have bet on that nobody.
Speaker 4: But regardless of what Dave does, they need to fix this themselves because they're not going to have wholesale changes. They're not going to do a makeover.
Speaker 2: And Dave also did say that to Greg Murphy. He said, you know, we're in a position right now where almost everything we have is kind of locked into place.
Speaker 1: It's he said, this is not a.
Speaker 2: Shake up type of trade deadline. This is more of a ad around the edges or you know, fill in your weaknesses trade deadline. So I don't know what that means. You know, he's not going to do anything. It's super crazy. It sounds like but.
Speaker 3: Sounds like he's gonna add a bullpen. It sounds like he's gonna add a bullpen piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think they're gonna add a fifth starter who can do a little swinging, you know, fifth started talking about I.
Speaker 3: Mean, we talked about that, We talked about the pitching, but it becomes more and more obvious that not only do they need pitching, but they need somebody who can swing the bat. They're they're very vulnerable, especially against quality pitching. They're super vulnerable in that in that lineup, they have too many guys who do the same thing. Lots of swing and miss, some power, some danger, but as we've talked about before, they've got a lot of dangerous hitters, but not great hitters. They don't have any three hundred hitters right now, and that's a problem.
Speaker 4: Yeah, starting pitcher and an outfielder, and that starting pitcher could be like a mid rotation guy, something that would slot Nola a five, but something to help that rotation. And you know the need for a bat is just glaring as well. It's like, you know, it's a double edged sport here. What they need.
Speaker 2: Well, well, yesterday Don Manningly started Brian day la Cruz in the right field over Gabriela Rinconas Junior, which you know, Don had been going with pretty much a straight platoon type of situation with all three outfielders start your left handed hitting outfielders against the righty. But last night, Tuesday night, he started Brian day la Cruz or Gabriel Rinconas because Rinconas has got like he's hitting like one fifty against righties with like twenty eight strikeouts and seventy two at bats seventy seven at bats against against righty's, and and Don Manningley basically said, you know, we gave Gabriela Rinconas some a pretty good runway to prove himself. He hasn't done it. We've got to try something else. And dal La Cruz is can't be any worse than what than what they've been put in out there.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Dela Cruise has had some good at bats, s hit some balls hard, a big double yesterday, try to get this team back into the thing. And they couldn't do it because they just can't hit with runners in score position right now. And yeah, I mean listen, right now, you're at the point where it's you're not trying to develop, you're trying to win games, like Don manningly said, I mean he said it from the beginning, and they haven't reacted well to it. But it's like a sprint now, and the sprint has been a slow start. So they're gonna have to figure out, you know, in those last one hundred meters, they're gonna have to get get it going in those last twenty five or thirty meters here, and I'm gonna have to kick it in the gear otherwise they might find themselves, you know, outside the uh, outside the party, looking.
Speaker 4: In yeah, and I mean that that last outfield spot has become this revolving door. You know, Auto Camp had his chance, Philip Reis had his chance, Gabriel and Konos had his chance, and he'll likely be the odd man out when they acquire the outfielder that I think they're going to acquire right, you know it Laine Thomas, who with the price is apparently extremely high for because there are no right handed bats and a lot of people want Laine Thomas. And then now they have to possibly look at a left handed hitter Jake McCarthy Dalton var Show. But there's definite need for something in the outfield.
Speaker 2: Phillys outfielders combine this season have a six entering last night Tuesday Night had a combined six point.
Speaker 1: Fifty eight ops.
Speaker 2: That's twenty ninth in baseball. But to put that even bigger perspective, it's the sixth lowest ops by Phillies' outfielders in franchise history. It's the lowest since nineteen forty two. And the team the four outfielders for outfields that were worse, we're all in the eighteen eighties. So like this is a beyond horrific outfield production from this crew.
Speaker 3: So it's interesting, does it make Does this put the pressure.
Speaker 7: On the Phillies to go do something quote unquote stupid and go get you know, empty empty the tank for a guy like Buston if they can get them, or a guy like Trout and put.
Speaker 3: Themselves in a position financially that's really really tough. Do they do that because they know that they have they really have a problem with their offense? It is it possible? Yes, I don't think that they'll do something like that, but the pressure might be great enough that they might have to make the kind of splash just to keep the fans happy, to try to keep the clubhouse happy. And you don't typically one operate like that as a front office because you end up making moves that that are sort of detrimental long term. But is the pressure that great? I don't know.
Speaker 4: Harper's comments certainly ramped up the pressure, but I wouldn't view Buck Buxton as a as a dumb move. I mean, he's got a really good contract, he's a really productive player.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying it. I'm just saying financially, it's probably not the best thing with them tied up with so much a Trout move a buston even I don't know how many more years Bucks and ads one or.
Speaker 4: Two two Trout his contractor totally different stratospheres.
Speaker 3: But I know Buxton's Buckston's move is like a move of like a ton of prospects. The other move is a ton of money. So that's what I mean by being you know, long term detrimental.
Speaker 4: Is he both gonna hurt if you had to do one of them, They're both gonna hurt. And then you know, you haven't even fixed your problem at short stuff.
Speaker 3: Which is probably gonna change next year because I can't imagine them going into the season off season not having a discussion about the possibility of moving them.
Speaker 4: And then you're doing all this stuff. You're trying to do all this stuff to fix twenty six and get where you want to go in twenty six, and you know, every ground ball your heart is in your throat could all come undone with one two hopper. It's a tough place to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ruben, what's going on at Parks Casino?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got to pull that sucker up. Parks Casino. It is my casino of choice, and they have it all. They got action, They got entertainment, excitement and award winning dining. My friends. Every month, there's Latin Dance Night with a live Salsa band, plus Philly Jazz Night and Country Nights with line dancing and live country bands. Plus Comedy Night every month with mister Joe Conklin, the Man of a thousand Voices. Plus a great deal for all Philadelphia home baseball games. Check it out dollar Dogs, three dollars, Miller Lights, three dollars Bud lights while you watch Philadelphia's home baseball games in the Parks Sportsbook at Parks Casino. Make the night complete and stay at the beautiful new Parksview Hotel, which is just steps away from the Parks Casino and offers free shuttle service. Jim, you don't even have to You don't even have to walk over there. Tickets are still available for these shows at the Excite Center at Parks Casino. You got George Thoroughgood and the Destroyers. You love that, don't you, Jim? On August twenty eighth, You got comedian Tommy Chong from Chichin Chong. On September twenty first, comedian Bobby Lee. On twenty fourth, Comedian Jim Jeffries on October twenty fourth, and then America on the thirty first of October, and comedian Michelle Wolf on December fifth. Parks Casino to buy tickets Parks Casino, Pennsylvania's number one casino street road Exit Off ninety five, and the PA Turnpike in Benslami Bucks County. You must be twenty one gambling problem one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: Hey, Baseball America is the best place to learn about all the prospects on the move this trade deadline season. Now through Monday, our viewers our Phillies Show viewers can get thirty percent off the first year of any digital annual subscription with promo code of Baseball America with promo code Phillies thirty. That's code Phillies thirty at Baseballamerica dot com. We talked on Monday about a really good article in Baseball America by JJ Cooper talking about how all these prospects that are traded, most of them don't even pan out. They're just bodies being moved to make somebody happy. So Philly's got to keep that in mind too. How many of these guys that they trade that they're going give up, you know, really a faribus. I don't know, you got I don't know.
Speaker 1: Is he gonna pan out? Come on?
Speaker 3: You might.
Speaker 2: Play this clip in twenty years when he's going to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: I I know John Smoltz for Doyle Alexander panned out pretty good.
Speaker 1: There's always examples of that. I pik Row Armstrong got traded.
Speaker 2: You know, he was you know, the Mets didn't really think too much of him, and he got moved.
Speaker 3: But you know now, the question I have is not just are you willing to do it? Is the death and are you worried about the future? That is the question. I mean, you sort of have to worry about it, but we've talked about it so many times. Are you really worried about the future or is it all in right now? Right?
Speaker 4: And you've had a little bit of a moon swing here right before our eyes. Over the last couple of podcasts, I'm sensing a conservative tone where two podcasts ago, you will be bold, go all in trade them all.
Speaker 3: I was and I still am. But if you don't do that, then you might have to move. You might have to go the other way. I mean, I'm I'm on the extreme level on both ways, you either go all in or you trade out.
Speaker 4: In the next five days.
Speaker 3: Figure not gonna happen. Well, they're not going to bail. They're not going to fail. They're not going to bail. You know, this team's not going to bail. But I mean, if you're not going to be all in, then be all out and worry about next year.
Speaker 2: So this is a this is maybe a dumb question when I want to ask you guys this. So if this farm system is what everybody other than the Phillis thinks it is, which is a bottom ten farm system, marginal talent, but.
Speaker 1: You're worried about the depth or whatever.
Speaker 2: But if most of the talent in this system is going to be a middle reliever type of guy, a twenty fourth man, a twenty fifth man, a twenty sixth man, how much depth are you really sacrificing?
Speaker 3: Do you know?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 1: Does that make sense?
Speaker 2: Like you know, if you're like it's it feels like just give everybody away. If all these guys are just going to be lower end bench guys, If if the odds of any of these guys becoming an everyday player is relatively small, then what do you what are you really worried about in terms of depth.
Speaker 3: Does that?
Speaker 1: Does that make sense?
Speaker 3: I don't know who does. Yeah, it makes sense to me. That's why we move so many players that we did right for the quality that we got, it.
Speaker 4: Would be a little more easy to go all in probably in their minds if they thought they were like one piece away or had a team that, you know, you like ninety nine chance of one of the World Series or something like that. It's just that you see all the holes and you're like, it gives you a lot of reservation.
Speaker 3: Sure does a lot of reservations.
Speaker 2: So okay, guys, Philly Show will be back on Friday. I want to mention that Foul Territory is having a trade deadline show and I want to play this for you to kind of pump up the trade deadline show on Monday.
Speaker 6: It's always a hope with this guy, It's always a hope.
Speaker 4: Oh we hope he stays healthy.
Speaker 3: Oh we hope he's good.
Speaker 5: Jason Miller to the San Diego Padres.
Speaker 3: Trade.
Speaker 5: Let's get to Shane Bieber. He is a Toronto bou jay. Let's hit the inside Scoop. It's EPSI senior insider Ken Rosenkopf. The Astros got Carlos Correa back to Houston.
Speaker 6: Just like Ajan Frewler said, you ain't in the big leagues, you know, a big one.
Speaker 4: Under a minute, under a minute.
Speaker 2: There you go, Foul Territories, Trade Deadline show and we'll be doing that. Well, will we do an.
Speaker 1: Emergency pod this weekend in Baltimore? I guess I don't know what I.
Speaker 3: Would think I would think we would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so keep an eye on that. But yeah, The Philly Show guys will be back on Friday.
Speaker 3: Smell You Let Boys, Smellia Boys. If you made it this far, you'll love this next video. Check it out right here and make sure you subscribe to The Philly Show for more Phillies coverage like this, multiple times a week.