Speaker 1: And that folks, it is Wednesday, May sixth, and he is a former Special Forces medical sergeant who did four tours in Iraq and right now he is wanted for attempted murder. Catch him if you can. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ.
Speaker 2: Ropes.
Speaker 1: They said, this dude has extensive training. This might take a while. And what we're up to day five now.
Speaker 3: Yes, well, he disappeared on Friday, May first, so do the math.
Speaker 4: We're at Wednesday right now.
Speaker 3: So he has been on the run for several days and there have not been any sightings of him since a camera caught him forty five minutes after the incident.
Speaker 4: He has not been seen since their creepy photo.
Speaker 1: We can talk about here in the second, but we're talking about this guy in Tennessee. This the incident was on May one, the incident which we have more details about, but basically, he did shoot his wife. According to authorities, she did survive, but he took off afterwards. His name is Craig Barry, fifty three years old. This is in an area of Tennessee northwest part of the state, right at the Tennessee Kentucky border. If I have that right, that's the area we're talking about robes. But as soon as he took off, they immediately said this might take a minute because they were almost in some of the things they put out.
Speaker 2: Impressed with his skill set.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'll get into the TikTok of what happened, but as you mentioned his skill set, we can just go ahead. You mentioned four tours in Iraq and you mentioned his official title. He was a Special Forces medical Sergeant in the Army and he was in the army from nineteen ninety two to twenty sixteen. Left the Army as a sergeant first class and he is considered armed and dangerous OBEs.
Speaker 2: That's an Army career get in and out. This was a career guy.
Speaker 4: That's a lot of years exactly.
Speaker 3: And so look, he fled into the woods after going back into the home, armed with the rifle and extra ammunition. So police are advising folks who are in this area, these communities, and he mentioned it's on the border between Tennessee and Kentucky in a town where he left was Dover, Tennessee. But this area, this is a challenging situation because we're talking about more than one hundred and seventy thousand acres of forests, wetlands, open lands. They described this terrain as steep hills, deep ravines, hollows, ticks, snakes, poison, ivy and he is very familiar with this terrain, just personally and professionally. He was trained to get as far away as he can and to survive in the outdoors.
Speaker 1: How smart was it? I think it was an accident. He left his phone behind, They said. They don't think he has a phone on him.
Speaker 4: He does not.
Speaker 3: They believe so he left his phone behind and that he made one phone call before he left to his parents. Now police say his parents are cooperating with them. They are telling him or telling them what that conversation was like. So they are fully cooperating with police. But yes, they believe he deliberately left his phone behind. How about this. They're working off of one of three scenarios. They say someone either picked him up and he's fled the area, he's still in the area and moving through the terrain because of his training, or he hurt himself. So it's one of three things. And this was the official comment from police. Barry could be located miles or states away from here. That's how unclear they are about where he may be.
Speaker 1: They do what they did want to say that he is armed. They believe he shot somebody. That means he's dangerous, But do they believe he's necessarily a.
Speaker 2: Threat generally to the community.
Speaker 1: He doesn't have other targets necessarily, but he might harm somebody who gets in his way.
Speaker 2: Okay, correct, that.
Speaker 3: Is exactly how they put it. They don't believe he has any other tar gets in mind. His sole purpose right now is to survive, to stay undetected, and yes, if anyone gets in his way. Obviously he went and got a lot of extra AMMO, so he's prepared to do what it takes they believe.
Speaker 4: To not be apprehended. And that's the concern.
Speaker 1: You said you wouldn't got extra AMMO. And yet this incident, the first we heard about it, she was shy. We weren't sure what her condition was. Hearing the details of it now, it sounds like a well horrific, no doubt, a domestic dispute robes but it also turned into a bizarre and very short chase. And then after he goes back in and kind of suits up and gets ready for whatever he's going out to prepare to do.
Speaker 3: Yes, we finally got details because for a while we only knew that it was he was being charged with second degree attempted murder, but we didn't know the wife's condition. We didn't know anything about her. So now we're finding out that reportedly, this incident happened just before midnight on Thursday, April thirty five. So according to his wife, he first started they had an argument, it turned violent. He hit her in the head repeatedly, according to her, and then strangled her. Then he shot her. As she fled from him, she ran to her car. She claims that Barry then got into his car, drove behind her, and then crashed. And then when he crashed, he got out of the vehicle, went up the driveway, went into the home to make that phone call, grab some AMMO. He actually changed his clothes into camouflage clothing, so he was prepped and ready to leave and to not be found. And so that is how she describes what happened. And she suffered one gunshot wound to the neck. So she is very lucky to be alive.
Speaker 2: Did I see she's already been released from the hospital.
Speaker 3: She has already been released and expected to make a full recovery. So that is that is the good news here. But look, they had a bloodhound trailing him, Like she called police right away. Obviously she went to the hospital. They trailed him to a road. That's the last like, I don't know how close to the road this was that they were able to track him to and then lost him from there. So that's their concern that maybe someone picked him up.
Speaker 4: They do have that concern.
Speaker 1: That concern I was to my next question. I knew they hadn't ruled it out, but in what you're seeing, how not how sure, But I'm as how much weight are they given to that theory that he is giving getting some help out there?
Speaker 3: They don't know. They just said it's one of three. Either he's surviving, he's been helped, or he is no longer with us. But they think it is one of those three scenarios and they have I mean, it's so interesting.
Speaker 4: We've talked about this.
Speaker 3: We actually were aware of the story for some time and we were waiting to see what would happen. But from the get go police, as they're warning the community, as they're warning folks, honestly, as they pointed it could be he could be states away by now. They don't know where this guy is, but they know he's armed, they know he's trained, and they know he's dangerous. He's they claim proved to be all of those things. And so they were very quick to say though this is this might take a while. They said that from the get go they didn't believe they were going to find this guy anytime soon.
Speaker 1: Well, they would certainly say that right just given the terrain we have seen some manhunts. I mean, if you remember ropes, why this just come to mind Travis Turner, the coach that he went off into the world. They still haven't found him, have any idea where he is. It's always the case this terrain can be very treacherous and challenging. Even if someone isn't as skilled at this guy as this guy, but there's nobody that's hunting him that's probably more trained and experienced in that terrain than he is.
Speaker 4: That's a challenge that certainly is.
Speaker 3: So when we come back, we're going to talk about what they are doing, what officials are doing to try and bring fifty three year old Craig Berry into custody and to finally end this man hunt that has several communities very very concerned for their own safety. And welcome back everyone to this episode of Amy and TJ, where we are discussing an urgent manhunt that is underway along the Tennessee Kentucky border. They are looking for Special Forces medical sergeant fifty three year old Craig Barry, a highly skilled and trained Army veteran who served four times in Iraq, who is now accused of second degree attempted murder. And the details of how police say he beat, strangled and shot his wife are deeply concerning. And then the moments he took to prepare himself to leave that home and hopefully, we can only assume, to never be found again. That is what police believe his intention was. They say he was in good physical shape. He is trained to survive in the outdoor.
Speaker 4: Got this quote.
Speaker 3: There are several quotes from police, one of them this one was interesting. This guy is not just going to pop out on the side of the road. He's probably in it for the long haul. That is how police described this situation.
Speaker 2: It's almost like, all right, everybody, get comfortable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is what.
Speaker 3: It reminded me of. It was like everybody relaxed. This is gonna be a while. But look, I thought this was so interesting. I'm not familiar with this area of the country. Are you Tennessee, Kentucky? This area?
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm in western Tennessee guy, But no, I don't do any Kentucky.
Speaker 3: But this seems to be one of the most difficult terrains you could possibly imagine looking for someone who is highly skilled in navigating these exact type of terrains.
Speaker 4: But I thought this was interesting. This is the way these one hundred.
Speaker 3: And seventy thousand acres that he has disappeared into have been described as this is one of the largest areas of undeveloped forest in the eastern United States. So he disappeared perhaps into the most perfect place where it's incredibly difficult to find somebody.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I can't imagine the challenge they are up against. And what is this guy's aim I mean, how far can he get?
Speaker 2: How?
Speaker 1: I mean he's gotta get water and he's gotta get food. How is he going to go about doing that? Can he survive out there? Or is he going to have to start breaking into homes of unsuspecting people somewhere who.
Speaker 3: Knows, so it's yeah, it's interesting you pointed that out because police obviously are using planes or using drones, they're using bloodhounds, they're using searchers and trackers, but they claim one of the things they're doing right now is going home to home. There are a lot of unoccupied summer homes and rentals scattered throughout this area, and so the thought is that perhaps you could have found one of those broken into them. So they are literally going from home to home to home seeing where he might possibly have found sheltered. There's been some bad weather in the area, so they're thinking he had to have found shelter at some point.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about because you and I do this often, to think you are rolling into your cabin in the woods Airbnb and this guy has set up shop.
Speaker 2: I mean, now they have to.
Speaker 1: That's when it becomes yes, Rope, it's not just this guy on the run and there's some man hunt. It does become a threat to the community. So this is a big deal.
Speaker 3: Yes, And he right now at this point doesn't have a lot to lose. He already knows if and when he has taken into custody, he is facing life changing charges his own wife is going to testify against him. She's already given her detailed explanation of what happened that night, so he knows if he's caught, his life is almost certainly over at this point. So when you have that kind of highly trained individual who is that desperate, who knows getting taken into custody is basically the end of his life, he has.
Speaker 4: Nothing to lose.
Speaker 3: And that is why police are advising communities to remain vigilant. They're telling anyone who lives in a general vicinity of this area to keep their doors locked.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is scary stuff.
Speaker 3: We talk about this as a compelling news story, but when you live in those areas or you have a home in that area, this is deeply concerning, very unnerving, and we don't know how long this is gonna last. How long are residents supposed to remain vigilant. With the way police are talking, it's indefinite, and that's concerning.
Speaker 1: They're not giving at this point, Robes, there haven't been that necessarily significant updates. The public is dying for them, but Robes, is there much that they have said or is updated other than he's out there. Here's this one picture which we talked about earlier. What was this a trail camera, they said, which essentially just picks up if there's movement, it just flashes right, takes a quick picture. That is a crazy looking photo of this shadowy, scary figure running through this high brush robes and they think it's him and looks like in full cameo.
Speaker 4: He's in full camo.
Speaker 3: He's armed, he has extra ammunition, he's highly trained and skilled. And the last time he was seen was forty five minutes after a brutal assault according to his wife, where he beat, strangled and shot her and really truly left her for dead and now is somewhere along the Kentucky Tennessee border, armed and dangerous. So we will keep our eye on this developing story. Just wanted to put that on your radar everyone. I Amy Robot alongside TJ.
Speaker 4: Holmes. We will talk to you soon.