Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news, A.
Speaker 2: Pool behind us, lots of people around us. There's a lot going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of people drinking poppy too. Did you see that.
Speaker 2: I did see that.
Speaker 1: Lots of people are drinking poppy. You know, find a problem and fix it. That's the context of talking about this company.
Speaker 2: How many times when we talked to you venture capitalists like they say, that's what people have to do, that's how you have to think about starting a company. And that's exactly what our next guest has done. And sometimes it's a personal like problem or situation that leads you to creating an amazing company, one that actually gets bought out by PepsiCo for one point ninety five billion dollars, and that happened last year. We're talking about Poppy. Allison Ellsworth is co founder of the company, and she joins us here and uncharted. Welcome, Welcome, Nice to have you here with us.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and hey, let's call it two billion right.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, we're round up. We're good.
Speaker 1: We're good.
Speaker 3: Round up.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of money. Tell us though, I love the backstories I watch these guys. Know Shark Tank a lot that was certainly something that played in But tell us about how you came to create this company.
Speaker 3: I think, like most great things, I created it because I had a personal problem. I had some gel gut health problems. I started drinking apple cider vinegar. Hated the taste, and I wanted to create something that tasted better. Have you guys ever taken a shot of apple cider vinegar? No?
Speaker 1: I have not.
Speaker 2: I know lots of people who have.
Speaker 3: It's disgusting. So I went to my kitchen and I created the first version of Poppy, went on to get a deal on Shark Tank, and now we're in every grocery store in the nation. It's wild.
Speaker 2: It is pretty wild.
Speaker 1: It's a really crowded space, and it's hard. I mean, you could walk in into any sort of convenience store or grocery store and those are the companies that have succeeded in getting the shelf space. Just getting the shelf space is difficult. How did you do that?
Speaker 3: In the beginning, we hired really smart people. So after getting a deal in Shark Tank, our network was opened up.
Speaker 1: So that's where everything changed.
Speaker 3: You bring in people that know the industry. Beverage is really hard. Someone downstairs just asked me they wanted to do a beverage, and I said, what, it's capital intensive. You have to have a lot of money. You're shipping liquid across the US, manufacturing shelf life. There's so many things that go into it, and you really want to surround yourself with smart people and the beverage industry small so network, network network.
Speaker 2: It's really about who you know in the beverage really, because you're fighting for shelf space essentially, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you're working with the retaillers and we were before the time, like we were calling ourself soda. We were revolutionizing sofa the next generation, and they were like that's hilarious, you know, And so they didn't know where to put us on the shelf stacks. Like basically we're in the sparkling water set. We were, you know, in enhanced water. They didn't know what we were. It was hard.
Speaker 1: Well, now, the idea of a functional beverage, like everybody kind of knows about that. You guys were early to that. Of course, I'm curious what you see out the landscape right now that is missing, Like if you were to develop something right now, what.
Speaker 3: Would it be well, I am developing something right now and we're launching the fall to fit that gap. But it's what it is is it has to be better for you and not so better for you that it's just like people don't understand and there's a lot of adaptogens and all of these things. Protein is really big right now, but I don't know. Would you like to drink a carbonated protein drink.
Speaker 1: I've tried a carbonated protein drink. It wasn't easy to drink.
Speaker 3: It's tough. I'm telling you, I wouldn't do that, but I will say something that's just a little bit better. And that's what we did at Poppy.
Speaker 1: So have you figured it out?
Speaker 3: I have figured out we're launching in the fall.
Speaker 1: But launching as is right now? Or do you still have to iterate on the product? Now?
Speaker 3: We're loaded, we're hiring, we're going And it's one of those things that what we have so much we learned at Poppy from building team and scaling that, like why would we not do it again?
Speaker 1: Are you raising money for it? Are you bootstrapping it?
Speaker 3: A little bit of both? Right now, we're going to use our own money for about you know, two point five million or so, and then I would love to de risk and bring in strategic partners that can help really catapult the business.
Speaker 2: What are you learning about the marketplace in terms of products, types of products that people want today?
Speaker 3: You know, it's that movement within MAHA that we're really seeing no dies, no artificial ingredients. It like actually drives me insane when like have cheetohs or doritos and Pepsi's changing that, right, They're taking the dice out of it. So I think it has to be just ten percent better or thirty percent better. It can't be one hundred percent better for you. People still want full flavor. America likes flavor. It has to taste good and that has to be king. Taste is king?
Speaker 2: Is it more expensive to do things so expensive? Yeah? And without all these additives are.
Speaker 3: It really is cut And people get really confused around the word like natural flavors.
Speaker 2: Natural makes nothing.
Speaker 3: It's very confusing and how it's made and what are in the natural flavors? No, it is, but if you think of like, you're not organic, it's not non gmo. There's so many things that go into it. So I think it just has to be better for you. I do think non GMO is important and people are reading labels more than ever.
Speaker 2: Is it more expensive to do though, It's absolutely more expensive.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, artificial ingredients, all of those things are really cheap. But really what the most expensive thing is the packaging. The packaging more so than what goes into it, and then the shipping cost and all of that goes into it.
Speaker 1: We're speaking to Allison elsewhereth the co founder of Poppy, which she sold for two billion dollars to PEPSI. We'll call it that last year. She joins U at the Uncharted Summit.
Speaker 2: You can round it up. You are so right.
Speaker 1: You're doing this for a second time, essentially, and I'd imagine you learned a ton the first time you did this. What are you doing differently to get this product onto the shelves, to get into the hands of consumers, to get consumer and brand awareness across the country that you didn't necessarily know how to do until you maybe failed at doing this or found the right niche for it with Poppy.
Speaker 3: Where entrepreneurs fail a lot of times as they refuse to professionalize their business. So the first thing we're starting with this time as an ORG chart, we're seeing what can we do to build an incredible team around us, and you hire eighteen months ahead. You don't hire for now, and you don't let your ego get in the way of growth of like I need to do, I need to do every job. And that's one of the biggest mistakes the entrepreneurs do is they don't hire people smarter than them because they think they know everything. So for us, that's one of the biggest lessons is professionalize the business, bring in like incredible people and build a platform that can scale.
Speaker 2: What is it like to sell a business that's been you know, your baby and you created it and it was really personal for you. I've talked to lots of founders, you know, a lot of them have their name on the company. And when you let go, you know, initially it's great because it's a lot of work, a lot of hard work, and your whole life is the business. But at some point it's like it's hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean essentially it was ten years of my life, never taking vacations. I had three kids while doing it, and then you're gone, right, the business has gone overnight. You're no longer in eighty hours a week and people don't talk about the post exit blues. It's a real thing. It's an emotional roller coaster. And look, money gives you freedom to do what you want, when you want, with whomever you want, but it doesn't give you purpose. So find your purpose and that's what we're doing again, because if you find your purpose, money will come.
Speaker 2: How soon did you have to find your purpose after something?
Speaker 3: I mean it took us. I've cy goll for like four months and then I was like, okay, I beat my husband a couple times. I was like, okay, I'm over this, and uh, you know, we had fun, but I've really missed the team. I missed the build. It's just the entrepreneurialism that people have. That's the craziness, right, It's why we do it.
Speaker 1: What's it like raising money this time around it? Because you don't I'm guessing you don't really have to be proactive about it. People are knocking down the door after an exit like that.
Speaker 3: It's actually like so many people are like bagging to actually invest, but for me, we are only going to take strategic money that can actually make a move. And it's when I say strategic, it's the network. It's how can we network in them.
Speaker 1: So money from a distributor, money from a company that could potentially.
Speaker 3: Retailers, people that can celebrities, influencers. Talent is a huge piece of how we skilled Poppy.
Speaker 2: But it matters because you want to be able to drive where you want to go.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yes and small right. I think I could probably call a lot of retailers and go into them really quickly, but I think you have to be intentional and build a brand, start and like those better for you retailers from the whole foods to the targets to the sprouts, and then really grow versus going so mass so big, which I think a lot of people could make a mistake.
Speaker 2: Sure, you don't want to make the announcement.
Speaker 3: Now, I know, not a great audience I love. Yes, I know, but yeah, stay.
Speaker 2: Tuned, Okay, we will come back. Thank you when you could make the announcement. Ellison Ellsworth, she is co founder of Poppy, joining us right here at Uncharted