Speaker 1: Welcome to NFL Daily, where we always live in fear of the blue screen of death. I'm Greg Rosenthal. I mean the Chris Westling podcast studio. And Patrick Claybon is playing Hurt today without a working laptop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been a good run.
Speaker 3: They wanted to replace it with a product that I will not name.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I can.
Speaker 3: Oh, And I was like, no, I want to ride with this one till it's dead.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's dead, Greg.
Speaker 1: I've never seen a blue screen of death with a frowny face on it.
Speaker 4: That's another level of tech.
Speaker 2: Hell, it really captures the field about the moment.
Speaker 4: It really is on there.
Speaker 1: So, yes, this is going to be a vibes type of show, not necessarily facts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't check my death.
Speaker 1: That's where we're going in the studio in this country.
Speaker 4: Let's do some breaking news right off the top.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is a fun surprise.
Speaker 1: Who is it?
Speaker 2: Greg?
Speaker 1: The Tennessee Titans have signed him Boyle at quarterback.
Speaker 2: It's about time they invested the position.
Speaker 1: The vibes are strong today, they're enter checks.
Speaker 2: So I'll get my Tim Boyle news. Greg.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: On the show we put up Wednesday morning, I had to go to the top of it and do the breaking news of Russ and Stefan Diggs. And later in that show we did some play acting and the Titans talked about how the only other veteran quarterback other than Will Levis on the roster was Brandon Allen. So clearly they're taking cam Ward, but now they've added Tim Boyle.
Speaker 3: And so a lot of you might look at Tim Boyle's career accomplishments and say, what does this actually mean.
Speaker 2: Clearly, Tim Boyle is a good dude.
Speaker 4: Yes, Tim Boyle.
Speaker 3: Matters in a locker room in a capacity that I don't necessarily have access to. But I think we have enough evidence to show that there is something that is being brought, and whatever that is is being brought to the Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty five, Hartford's finest made his first start, I believe, on Thanksgiving, or at least his first prolonged appearance for the line back in the day. And yeah, he's still kicking around the second most prominent Yukon quarterback behind dan Orlowsky.
Speaker 4: Not a lot of.
Speaker 1: News today, but we'll roll through what we got and then we're going to do screaming needs of every NFC team. Both Nick Schuk and I did the AFC earlier in the week, and we will do the NFC here. That's why I got coffee today to scream to scream. Okay, we talked rules committee and all the proposals that the teams had a week ago. We've talked about some of the ones that the NFL was going to put forward over the month, but officially the Rules Committee put out the proposals, and if you're not familiar with this time of year, generally the proposals that they put out go through, not all of them, but I would say it's like two thirds three quarters. So if it comes from the league, they'll officially vote on it next week. And the couple things that we didn't know yet that I wanted to mention that we're new and interesting to me were number One, if you kick the ball into the end zone on the dynamic kickoff the ball when you get a touchback, we'll go out to the thirty five yard line. Also, as part of that, they want to make the dynamic kickoff permanent, that that thing is just going to stick around. Before it was year by year, but it's going to go out to the thirty five.
Speaker 2: What do you think I like it.
Speaker 3: I am still of the belief that we can change the landing zone and make that a free ball and bring on side kicks back just a little bit, okay to where a team has an opportunity. That's the last chance of the dynamic kickoff. Where that I would like to see is ball hits.
Speaker 1: Ground where like inside the twenty and then it's a free ball or what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's something that it would be It will be very easy, right for the other team, but there will be a chance, right, you get a wiggly kick and there's some sort of chance.
Speaker 2: That's what I would like to say.
Speaker 4: They did update the on side kick rules.
Speaker 1: Now you can go for an on side kick anytime of the game if you're trailing. The rule before under this for one year, was that you could only do it in the fourth quarter. On side kick is a play that that's kind of died because there's no element of surprise anymore because of the dynamic kickoff. That'll be the same whether you do it in the second quarter or the fourth. But you could do it earlier in the game if you want. But yeah, that touchback going to the thirty five. I think we will see a lot more kickoffs next year. Thirty five is like such good field position. That's a twenty yard gain from from field goal range.
Speaker 3: And it adds a layer of specialization because you got your guys that were brought up to boom it. Yeah, and then you have your guys that I mean, it's all the horizontal and vertical aspects of kicking field goals. Now there's a depth aspect to it, where you want you want the ball to land at a certain angle, at a certain distance.
Speaker 2: And I think it may change kicking a little.
Speaker 4: You gotta pop that, you gotta pop that thing up.
Speaker 1: But not you know, like Adam vinet Terry back in the day, he wasn't great on kickoffs regardless, Desmond Howard made a lot of money off that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, he couldn't hit that pop up no way. He didn't have the he didn't have the leg for it.
Speaker 3: Well, and guys don't want when you're when you're paid to make those kicks, you don't want to change your stroke right to go out there. And it's like, you know, you're trying to hit a pitching wedge at Augusta and it's like Hey, you got a long drive every other hole.
Speaker 2: Goys will be scared.
Speaker 4: More punters doing it.
Speaker 1: And then the thing I did like expanded replay assist now for picking up flags on bad calls and the specific ones they're calling them subjective not objective, like two words where I always have to think about wait, which means which For.
Speaker 4: Some reason, I have a learning disability on that one.
Speaker 1: But you can pick up the flag potentially from above on the replay assist for hits on defensive list players. So that includes roughing the passer, so it's basically bad roughing the passer calls could get overturned, but also face masks, horse callers, tripping, roughing the kicker.
Speaker 4: I like that. I want to expand it even more.
Speaker 1: I would say, let's do let's do a little more, but that's a step in the right direction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and just some clarity because when replay assist, it does happen, and it happens quickly. It's so seamless, and it's so good that people are always left of weight. Hey, that's great, let's do that more. And I think we could get more of that if they'd be more open with Hey, what happened when I believe there was a playoff game, was a bad spot and all of a sudden the ball was back in the right spar right, and.
Speaker 2: It's like, hey, yeah, let's just do that all the time, right.
Speaker 4: It's been happening a lot.
Speaker 1: I think it's actually been a subtle yet dramatic change in the game over the last two years, especially last year. So I like that a lot because so those are some of the worst calls that happened. And then finally we have some media news. Andrew Marchand of the Athletic reports that there's a new number two team at CBS. I'm always into this reporting. It's very important because these these men and women, but let's be real, it's mostly men. They affect my Sundays in a great way, the equality of the broadcast team. And we're losing one of my favorites, Charles Davis, off the number two team at CBS, and it's going to be Iron, Eagle and JJ as the number two team. But the good news for Charles Davis, he's going to be the number one college football guy in twenty twenty six because Gary Danielson is retiring. That's his name, right, Yeah, it's gonna be Okay, sorry, and you just looked at me funny. And I don't know what Charles Davis is gonna do in twenty twenty five. They haven't announced that yet, but it's got to be jj Watt, who I thought was pretty good on the Netflix game.
Speaker 4: We'll see. It's hard to make that determination, but he was pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a few years removed from the ideal situation where Charles would have been able to call those SEC on CBS games with his beloved Tennessee volunteer. But yeah, congratulations to Gary on a great career. And you know the college football folks are gonna love Charles Davis because everybody loves Charles Davis.
Speaker 4: Let's look at at tweet.
Speaker 1: I just thought this tickled my fancy on Wednesday, I hope jj Watt asked for permission from Iron Eagle to send their tweets back and forth. And Iron's very funny on the Twitter exchange. And I don't want to go through all of it. My main takeaway here was though, learning that Iron Eagle signs all of his texts with an emoji for an Eagle.
Speaker 4: That's it's amazing.
Speaker 3: Now, Yeah, shout out, shout out to big bird on that And is that is that a reference to that that that influencer?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I'm doing a poor job narrating this. But Ian's making fun of JJ for how he's preparing for games, and JJ asks, you know, how do you normally prepare any and he whips out the banana and the Saratoga water so iron not only like an old guy move to sign every text with your name, but instead it's an emoji, which is incredible. But also he he knows the hip.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he's aware of the current memes. And that's a sy out. By the way, everything is rage bait now and this dude has captivated everybody's attention by being hokey.
Speaker 2: Yes, and and it's it's working for him. Yeah, he's going to keep doing it. So it's just some guy who.
Speaker 1: Does the time stamps and he jumps in the pool out thirty thirty six, then he hits the water.
Speaker 4: Yeah three forty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like that that meme of the guys like you know I have I have forty eight hours in one day. It's like that, except taking to the next level. And this dude's black, so like I guess shout out to him. But it's it's a siout. It's all fit.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Patrick is always here to just bring us back down earth. But yes, when he sent out another one where it was the same thing where he's messing with the timestamps, I was with you. And if you don't know what we're talking about, God bills you congratulations. It doesn't really matter.
Speaker 2: We don't want to be in here with us.
Speaker 1: We'll see if any other major news happens. But uh yeah, Tim Boyle, they're taking they're taking cam Ward. I mean they really are telegraphing it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: The NFL can do what they want.
Speaker 1: There's been reporting in the past where they've told the team with the number one pick, hey, try not to try to say it publicly, try not to give it away publicly.
Speaker 4: They've given it away to me.
Speaker 1: I guess you never know, like maybe the Saint With the Saints, there's been some buzz give up three first round picks, including this year's. They give up number nine and then their next two first round picks to move from nine to one. With Tennessee think about taking that, they might think about it. Would the Saints do it? I think they'd be desperate enough to do it.
Speaker 4: Who knows.
Speaker 1: So this is I'm not going to totally close the door, but it sure seems.
Speaker 4: Like they could give him Derek Carr too.
Speaker 2: Hey, I didn't even think of that, Mickey, are you listening?
Speaker 1: Maybe not well with the Titan, Callahan was with Derek Carr. That's actually not that crazy with the Titan. With the Titans, take three ones in Derek Carr for the number one overall, pick.
Speaker 2: Nine excuse me use ten before?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is Mickey Loomis back in February.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, Mickey would offer two ones.
Speaker 3: And then it's like, I don't know, and then Derek gets thrown in, and then there's a conversation and there's a little back and forth, and all Draft night it happens.
Speaker 2: As first reported by NFL Network's Greig.
Speaker 4: Ros I love it.
Speaker 1: I think I think the Saints are just desperate enough to do that.
Speaker 4: That would be fun.
Speaker 1: All right, We're going to go through all sixteen NFC teams here, including the Saints, and we're going to start in the NFC East. We're going to put two minutes on the clock. We don't need all two minutes. We enough to use all two minutes, but two minutes for every team. These are screaming needs heading into NFL draft season, and I will kick us off with the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Put it on the clock. I think the biggest need is wide receiver.
Speaker 1: It's it's not a team looking at it, especially on the defensive side that I think actually has a ton of screaming needs, which is which is a good thing. You could argue running back. Certainly, you hate to go into a draft like needing and running back. I think they'll take one in the first three rounds. Offensive line they need to build for now and the future. And yet the gulf between Ceedee Lamb and the second best weapon on this team is so massive, whether it's running back or Jake Ferguson or Jalen Tolbert that I think that is their their biggest team. That's why smart people like Daniel Jeremiah are mocking a wide.
Speaker 4: Receiver to them with that number twelve overall pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's to the point where the backup running back slash special teams pro arguably the best special teams player in the game is like their second best.
Speaker 1: Skill position guy Cavante Turpins, And the thing is Jalen Turbert. Tolbert showed last year, he's fine as a rotation guy. I think he got six hundred yards just out of volume alone.
Speaker 4: Oh I like that, But he's in a contract here.
Speaker 1: That was the reason why I gave the edge to wide receiver because they might not sign him long term, so they really don't have any one long term Turpens on a one year deal. I believe other option here would be right tackle, Terrence Steele, right guard. Like, they still need to fix that offensive line and so sure, like most teams, they could use another cornerback. But I actually think the defense, they're not screaming needs. They're just kind of building what's already a pretty strong group.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if we're going to evoke the COPYCAC League mantra that you saw DeVante Smith and AJ Brown, like you need another guy opposite the guy, I.
Speaker 1: Don't think it's going to be Jonathan Mingo, who they gave up a draft.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was weird.
Speaker 1: In this class four that's not going to age. Well, they've taken some mid to late round shots FLORINOI last year.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's going to happen.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move on to our second team, the Washington Commanders.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were able to upgrade a left talk'll get Marshawn Lottimore last season, but they were absolutely torched by a Birds team that really torched everybody.
Speaker 2: So there is a streaming keed at edge rusher.
Speaker 3: Drrence Armstrong is a nice piece unless the thing is Jalen Holmes is going to have this kind of growth.
Speaker 2: Even if he does, depth would be nice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, picking at twenty nine makes it tough, but there's guys like Donovan ezekiel Aru who might drop down there, Michael Williams. But it's a need and it's thankfully the only one that's screaming to me because the team did get better.
Speaker 2: In free that.
Speaker 1: Your scream got a big reaction in the back there from Babona.
Speaker 4: Are you ready to commit to this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, we're doing it for the next weak. That's what the caffeine's for.
Speaker 4: Okay, we'll see.
Speaker 1: We'll see if you scream the words screaming every time, or whether you scream their names or their first position or what it is.
Speaker 4: Edge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I Toorreance Armstrong good player. You look at who they sign in freeency. I kind of forgot they signed Dietrich Wise and Jacob bartin and Cleveland Farrell. Those are just a bunch of guys. This is a team that needs to get better up front, and they spent a lot of money on Javon Kinlaw which surprised me. That they're pretty good on the interior. Other than that, yeah, I think that. I think that is their screaming eath. I only wrote down one thing.
Speaker 3: Well, and like so he was almost any play you could pick, any play for the fourth quarter of the Falcons would have won the Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: That was with Brooks Reid as the best edge. Right.
Speaker 3: Then he goes to be the defensive coordinator of the Dallas Cowboys and he inherits this otherworldly talent as well as another good piece in DeMarcus Yeah, dan Quinn gets another good piece into Marcus Lawrence, and now the Commanders were kind of in this middle place where he's figuring it out with mixed talent. He still wants that edge, and I think that's where that goes the right move.
Speaker 1: You can't fit fix everything in one offseason, or now it's even two for this regime, but they've done a great job. I like their off season a little better the more more I looked at it. All Right, I'm going to go with the Philadelphia Eagles, speaking of speaking a great defenses, and I was wrong about the Philadelphia Eagles by the way. I thought they're we're going to take some big swings this offseason, and they.
Speaker 4: Didn't at all.
Speaker 2: How we're doing it again.
Speaker 1: It was the total opposite. They were actually playing the compensatory pick game. You can tell some teams really load up on it certain seasons and they might get some threes and fours back because because good people have left the building. So they're a team that has most everything. I would say edge is probably their biggest need as well, which sounds weird, but you think about who's still there. Nolan Smith is a returning starter and an emerging player. After that, they have depth. They signed josh u Ja, they sign a Zizo Jalari. They have Bryce hoff still on the roster. Maybe they can scrape some value out of him. So they have players there. But do they have anyone other than Nolan Smith who they're kind of like, Hey, that's going to be a dude for us.
Speaker 4: For more than a year or two. I don't think they do.
Speaker 1: And the way they think, I think they'll think that's their biggest need.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they've always had the ability to rotate guys and have guys get a lot of like rush snaps and bring them in. But you still need to have those folks that you can count on if the drives last a little bit longer. Right, if there's not a situation where you're getting off the field consistently all the time and it feels like there's a bunch of parts, but never that that guy other than Nolan Smith, who has really been a part guy up up until this point.
Speaker 1: Right until the middle of last season, he really came on. Man what for his side, one of the strongest players like per pound in the NFL. They have a lot of guys like going up a level in terms of their secondary So I think they could add some more pieces there to kind of fill in for the future, like Sidney Brown, kiey Ringo. Those guys are now probably starters, so maybe you draft a safety. But yeah, I think they will look at edge And yeah, they didn't take those swings like I expected. This Offsene kind kind of retrenched. All right, you got the Giants.
Speaker 2: The New York Giants. Okay, a full disclosure out there.
Speaker 3: I'm basing team needs off of what I think they need to do to win with the roster, not necessarily on somebody ticket keeping their job.
Speaker 1: You're also working off your phone now because the blue screen of death with the frownie faces on your computer.
Speaker 2: The needs of the secondary have been addressed.
Speaker 3: I think there's also a need for Shader Sanders specifically, but if they think that it's not going to happen, there is a screaming need for talent on the interior of either.
Speaker 2: One of the lines desk.
Speaker 3: Lawrence is one thing in the Joe Shane era, he's not drafted on the interior of the lines inside of the fourth round for his entire tenure. That's going back to twenty twenty two. They acquired John Runyon last year. But it's a screaming need to me because it's an area of deficiency that has continued to not really be addressed. And it'd be one thing if the guys they took at these other spots were working out. They're not, and so it's really leaping out to me that that's a place. Yeah, there's other parts, but this is the one that they need to fixate.
Speaker 1: Tyrone Tracy is part of a very good twenty twenty four class just want to you know, yeah, no, set defend Joe Shane Besjos with neighbors and Tyler Neuban looks like he can play a little bit.
Speaker 2: You and I would have drafted name Drew Phillips.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, absolutely right, I totally agree interior defensive line. When Dexter Lawrence got hurt, it was one of those cases which is always stupid, but it's true where it's like, hey, his defensive Player of the Year candidacy actually went up after he got hurt. Because when you took Dexter Lawrence off their team, they were one of the worst run defenses you've ever seen. If it wasn't for the twenty twenty four Panthers, those were the two of the worst run defenses and.
Speaker 3: The only reason the Panthers were legendarily bad. Right, so the Giants were off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's it.
Speaker 1: Although quarterback is still a massive need because Jamison Russell are short term solution, so it's still a massive need.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's get the quarterback. I think that they make a move to get your door. That's what I would do. Who knows if it saves our other jobs. They're like, who cares, that's what you.
Speaker 1: Know, the more we sit with this, the less I think maybe he'll even be there, whether the Browns take them or the Saints. Like I was talking trade up to two, they need something to save their job, so I'm really in on this Saints. They're gonna maybe do something crazy. Let's go with the Green Bay Packers. I will start off the NFC North, and I think the needs are on defense, and I think they start at cornerback. Now, this Gire Alexander situation is just kind of hanging out there. The longer it goes on, the more you have to wonder maybe they will just bring him back, because if he's healthy, he is the best cornerback on the roster. That said, even if he is on the roster, their next best cornerback is Keyshawn Nixon.
Speaker 4: I don't know who Nate Hobbs.
Speaker 1: I guess they signed in free agency and is a good player, more of a nickelback. But like in terms of an outside cornerback, they don't really have the guys. And it's a blind spot for Goody because I look at the offense and yeah, you could draft for the future. In terms of their offensive line, they've been fantastic doing that, and they have a lot of guys coming up for free agency next year and so they'll probably plan ahead.
Speaker 4: But actually they're they're pretty set on offense.
Speaker 1: They could add and they're not going to ignore it, but really it's defense. It's cornerback one and then like a lot of these teams, edge would be number two for me, but to me, it's in the secondary. And Guda Kunst he's put a lot of resources in the draft on the defense with pretty mixed results. At this point, it's now a long list of players that they've drafted that haven't exactly lived up to their draft billing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, including finding a corner opposite of Jaire for these years. And I understand if the ding for you is JayR hasn't played very much well. The guys that were either replaced JayR or played on the other side of them, they haven't been able to get consistent play there at all. And so if you remove Jaire from the situation and he becomes a value add for somebody else, and you've had difficulty acquiring this position in the first place, how does that ultimately make you better in the long run, other than not paying somebody which like Okay, it's not our money.
Speaker 1: Do you want to know something that flipped my mind and maybe explains why JayR is still on the team and maybe he'll stay. I believe he was Brian Goodcun's first ever draft pick. I can't believe Goody's been there that long's He has now been there since twenty eighteen, and that's when Dyer entered the team.
Speaker 4: So maybe he wants to keep the band together.
Speaker 2: He should.
Speaker 1: It was like his last great cornerback pick, so he lets keep it.
Speaker 2: I'll think you shit, all right?
Speaker 1: You are up with the Chicago Bears. What is their screaming need?
Speaker 3: Okay, so we just talked about Jacob Martin being a commander. He got two hundred and thirteen snaps at edge last year. DeMarcus Walker got released back in February. That's another five hundred plus snaps on the edge on the other side of the d line. They're in a division with Gibbs, Montgomery, Jacobs. How long do you want Jordan Addison and Justin Jefferson running around back?
Speaker 2: There?
Speaker 3: There is a screaming need for a talented edge opposite Montes sweat to set edges and bother quarterbacks. I love that they've addressed the offensive line, but they're going to need some more pass rush. I know they improved on the interior in the pass rush capacity and free agency, yes, get an edge.
Speaker 1: Yeah they get They got Dio, but not a guy.
Speaker 4: Who's going to help you stop the run.
Speaker 1: In one of the riskier signings him and Jarrett really in general, Grady Jarrett. I think everyone's giving flowers to Ryan Poles. It's Ryan Pole season. If they go one for two there, that'll be great. I just think they're both risky moves. And I'm with you because Sweat is a long term guy. But you want to think about who are there guys on the defensive line, and really, in terms of draft picks right now, it's Girvon Dexter and that's about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's and again, like I hate to to hinge on that the point about the running games and the rest of the division, but there was a point in this offseason where I'm like, well, what would if Khalil Mack got back to Chicago.
Speaker 2: Like that that would be what they needed.
Speaker 3: And of course Khalila elected to stay here in sunny Soethern, California. Good for him, but they of course, you would love to have that sort of talent, but a player who can fulfill that role, and they elected. You know, that's where DeMarcus Walker was last year. That's why he was playing so much. And I'm wondering what they're going to do to replace him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't think they're done fixing the offensive line. They could certainly take a tackle, a left tackle. They could certainly take another guard. People that are just assuming Jonah Jackson is like gonna be Detroit Lions healthy Jonah Jackson coming off a bust of a year that I don't think the Bears are assuming that long term either, So they could look to bulk up their running game a little bit. I'm gonna go with the Minnesota Vikings to it. We haven't gone over time, I don't think at all. I had a pretty clear, screaming need for the Vikings because it's a really good roster. But they need a cornerback and they could use two cornerbacks. And they did a good job this offseason getting some placeholders, and by that I mean like free agents who come in and they just upgrade the overall talent level. It's a tough defense to figure out in terms of Brian Flores, and so you bring in Isaiah Rodgers. He's a guy who's been around, he's been with the Eagles. You give him some money. Jeff Acuda's on this team now, Tavier Thomas, like these guys have taken snaps in the NFL.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 1: You're not the worst cornerback room in the league or anything anymore. But other than bringing back Byron Murphy, you have Makai Blackman who's coming off a serious injury, and so you don't again have kind of draft pick guys that are going to be their long term And it's amazing because you look at that all those names I just said, and it doesn't sound like a screaming need. And that's really a credit to this Kevin O'Connell Quesi build because they are ahead of scheduled. They were good so much faster than you would have expected. This is the year where you would have expected. Okay, it's all coming together now like year three with Flores, for instance, as the defensive guy, and it's a good roster, like they're one of the better rosters in the league.
Speaker 3: And even the things that didn't immediately play off, like the trade up for Dallas Turner right that there's a chance. Did you get growth in that position which will be a huge value add in twenty twenty five where I'm peeking over at your list of teams and I'm like, I'm wondering what Greg is going to say? Is the screaming need for the minnesot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't really have one enter, you know, entering the offseason. Even after the last game against the Rams, Kevin O'Connell, who doesn't usually do this at the podium, said we need to fix our interior offensive line, which was just like a shot across the bow on I think a couple players, Garrett Bradbury, Dalton Riisner, like those guys are ex vikings, and they have addressed that. They signed Ryan Kelly, they signed Will Fryes, both of the Colts last year. I actually think they could add more to that position because Kelly's not a long term guy, and they have Blake Brenda I believe it left guard.
Speaker 4: So that could be the other one.
Speaker 1: If we're looking all right, you got the Detroit Lions, another very good roster in the best division in football.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the Lions brought in a big free agent corner. I know they drafted a first round cornerback a year ago, and I know Amik Robertson had the game of his life in the Game of the Century.
Speaker 2: They still have a screaming need in the secondary.
Speaker 3: To me, the Eagles showed how important valuable depth is in that position, and I was dangerously close to saying yet another team had to need it Edge here and it will be nice to have, but I feel like they need that depth in the secondary.
Speaker 2: Okay, another corner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's tricky for the teams that don't really have screaming needs it almost it almost makes fun of us. But this is the best place to be as an organization. I probably would lean EDGE. So right now they have Aiden Hutchinson obviously coming off the injury, and then you have Josh Pascal and Marcus Davenport and some guys like Mohammed Akad Muhammad who's contributed.
Speaker 3: But like I'm pretty sure statistically he was one of their better at Edge.
Speaker 2: Al Mohammad, yeah.
Speaker 1: And so, and then they have a bunch of interior guys that can kind of go a little bit of inside and out, but no one you really trust there. But yeah, I think they need to refresh that offensive line. I think they think like the Eagles too, where it wouldn't shock me at all for them to take a first round offensive lineman because if you look at it, they don't really like it's getting older. Like Panae. Sewell's not a guy that you worry about at all. But other than that, Rag now Glasgow, Taylor Decker, those guys have all been on.
Speaker 4: The team since twenty eighteen or twenty sixteen.
Speaker 2: They're they're the identity I know something. It's like one of the most.
Speaker 4: You're not saying goodbye.
Speaker 1: You just you just start drafting their eventual replacements, and if they stick around, like Cam Jurgen's had to wait for Jason Kelcey.
Speaker 4: You know, That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It's nice, it's a nice to have. But watching the defense get hurt and fall apart, it's hard to not say they just need bodies over there.
Speaker 4: It's absolutely true.
Speaker 2: It's just it's just deep bodies.
Speaker 1: Could maybe still use another receiver, Jamison Williams. It's you know, it's fifty Your options gonna come up next year. Just just a thought, let's take a quick break. We've done the NFC North, We've done the NFC East. We are covering every team in the NFC today with sixteen screaming back on NFL Daily. It's short sleeve sweater season. Everyone who's into the YouTube side of it, like subscribe, check us out there and yeah, check out the short sleeve What do they call that? Like cablenit sweater?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I don't, I don't even know.
Speaker 1: I'm deed me. I can't pull awesome. I do like this shirt. I've been warning a lot, but I can't pull that off.
Speaker 2: You can't. I think you can crush it.
Speaker 1: I need to do some three p forty jumping into the pool to get to there. Let's do the screaming needs in the NFC South. Why don't we have Patrick lead us off here. We started the show talking to Little Saints, So why don't we start the NFC South with the New Orleans Saints.
Speaker 3: Okay, so the Saints have needs all over the roster, which may be a blessing in disguise is Mickey Loomis has kind of had a tendency to overdraft on need after that legendary twenty seventeen draft where everything turned out great, But once again, there's.
Speaker 2: A screen need at the edge to get.
Speaker 3: Some talent to rush the passer in this division where Atlanta's gotten better, the Panthers have gotten better. Baker Mayfield and the Saints, I mean, and the Buccaneers score a billion points a game.
Speaker 2: It was honestly hard to pick.
Speaker 3: But it's just such a big part of defense in twenty twenty five that I have to go edge once again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were a bad team rushing the passer. I think they overpaid for Chase Young. They did take a second round pick. Off the top of your head, can you remember who the second round pass rusher the Saints took in twenty twenty three. I don't know if he's been mentioned on this show since the draft. One minute Saints fans know who I'm talking about. I don't know why, might being bresy. No, Breese's been solid as I don't even know if solids the word. He's been okay as a first round pick. Isaiah Foski, oh yeah, who just hasn't been able to get to the field for them.
Speaker 4: So that makes sense.
Speaker 1: And yet no one's ever been on the last year of his deal more than Derek carr is on the last year of his deal. There, so quarterback to me is a massive, massive need. And so it's cornerback. Quietly like even you know, you think they've always had a bunch of cornerbacks, but suddenly Latimore is not there or Deva's not there. They could certainly he's a cornerback. And then like Trevor Penning's still there at right tackle. I don't know, that's not really a long term thing like guards. You're right, there really isn't a position on the roster they could not stand to improve.
Speaker 3: And so and it's a great spot to be and to just stick and pick because whoever they take is probably going to be a huge value add to this team.
Speaker 4: And yet I kind of don't think they are, because you.
Speaker 3: Think they move up and take Shador if he gets past what.
Speaker 1: Team, maybe even just get him at too. I don't know, I'm just making stuff up, but it just makes sense to me. The Browns trading down would make sense. Let's do the Atlanta Falcons next, the big time rivals of the Saints. And we're repeating ourself a lot on this show. And it's a good class Fridge. I don't know if the top shelf guys are there, but if you're a team like the Falcons. I think this is a good class to have a huge edge need because they're in the middle of the first round. I think at that point it's just just take what you need and you'll have your pick of a handful of different guys who are all first round worthy. And we're just back in that phase of Atlanta Falcons season, which is we need an edge season, which is every season.
Speaker 4: It's really crazy.
Speaker 1: And I thought they would be more active in free agency and they're big move Who's signing Leonard Floyd for more money than he made for the forty nine ers. They've had a weird one. They're kind of playing the compensatory pick game. I think, I don't know who's gotten out.
Speaker 2: Of the hell.
Speaker 3: They're playing this waiting game with cousins and kind of just sitting free agency out essentially.
Speaker 4: More or less.
Speaker 1: And they just restructured a couple of contracts. We're taping this on Wednesday, and they restructured a few more to open up a bunch of cap space. People are like, oh, now they're going to sign I was like, well, yeah, no, all the guys are gone.
Speaker 4: Wait what I mean?
Speaker 1: They could be like a second level team, but really, all their needs are on defense. Defensive backs certainly would be an option, and like second, you know, either position in the secondary. They do need a center now, I think after after they let Drew Donovan go, so that could be an option.
Speaker 3: Yeahs as rosters elsewhere are getting better with your players, right right, it's it should be time and perhaps not that it's a you know, scrape in the bottom of the barrel. Some guys have been a little more patient waiting out and trying to find the right spot. There's talent out there. I mentioned DeMarcus Walker earlier. Yeah, who got some good run last year in Chicago. Maybe that's an option. There is some talent left available on the street than maybe the Falcons.
Speaker 4: I believe we have sixteen or seventeen players from my top one oh one.
Speaker 2: That's seventeen percent.
Speaker 4: I think we're down to only four in the top fifty.
Speaker 1: By the way, Amari Cooper or Santi Sami Junior, you Aaron Rodgers who is a late ad in Kalais Campbell the only four in the top sixty. In fact, you have the Panthers wrapping up the NFC South. No, I have the division champion Bucks after that, take that back you have the Panthers.
Speaker 3: I will take the Panthers. The Panthers head coach former team, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. They need defensive help at multiple positions, but I believe the screaming need is actually at the linebacker position. For a franchise that had legends at off ball, a couple of them playing at the same time, and Luke Kinkley and Thomas Davis, you can make the case the offense needs some more speed or some help at edge. The whole plane is kind of built on Genevian clowning at this point in his career, right, there's a Shawn Robinson on the interior.
Speaker 2: They're getting old there.
Speaker 3: But if you want to add talent on defense and a playmaker that the fan base can identify with, I think there's off ball options inside of that top ten that can help the Carolina Panthers and also make an tribute to the edge as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, John Campbell's Camps or Jalen Walker.
Speaker 2: Either one like.
Speaker 3: Honestly, that's the type of player, a guy that can run and make plays, and the defense can come on the field and there can be somebody that the fans can identify with and celebrate, you know, and yeah, it off ball.
Speaker 2: The growth period is a little bit longer.
Speaker 3: It may take longer to see those results, but you'll eventually get them.
Speaker 1: And they both get pass rushers, and I can really see them fitting a Giro Evro defense where he's moving the guy back and forth a little bit better of a Michael Hoyt type of guy who Everro is with back with the Rams.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 1: I see a lot of similarities in terms of the roster construction between the Panthers and the Falcons, which is just they need help everywhere on defense, you know.
Speaker 4: Like I get even focus on the offense.
Speaker 1: We could even argue is more important, maybe a little more important in terms of team building, but it's two one sided. And both Raheem as the head coach and the Falcons, and then Everro as the coordinator with the Panthers, I think they could use some help.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you wonder how much fit played into just how categorically awful things were last year, and you know, this is this is it, I feel like for forever, if it's if it's not this season and there's similar results, then they would.
Speaker 1: Have to I mean, they didn't even let him leave. He was trying to leave A couple of times. It sounded like, I'll see why I got the bucks. And I think it's got to be a recurring theme this offseason.
Speaker 4: I really love this team.
Speaker 1: I thought they would be very good last year, and then they were so anyone that that proves me right, I'm gonna like even more. I think it is one of the best rosters in the entire NFL.
Speaker 4: If if I hate to say it, if they.
Speaker 1: Had a slightly better quarterback in all that we've been through, I think they'd be in the inner circle. You're going to make him try contenders. When I said that at the back room just started cheering. They love the Baker hate. It's not hate. He's great.
Speaker 2: Rewind fifteen to talk to their GM and.
Speaker 1: Talked about how like you saw scenario is where they won the Super Bowl two ago exactly, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Well, he's saying, Baker Mayfield is kind of like this. It's like a quantum superposition where yeah, things could be great, but Gregg also sees them going categorically awful.
Speaker 2: No both at the same time.
Speaker 1: No, No, I think they would be in the inner circle of Super Bowl favorites. If like Justin Herbert was their quarterback. Let's say if it was like a slightly like that.
Speaker 2: If you replace Baker Mayfield with Lamar Jackson heard job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I was trying to come up with a guy who was like six or ten. Yeah, I think that that would be true. We've spent half our time not getting to the need because, look, they could add depth everywhere. They're in a great position off ball linebacker. You just mentioned it for the Panthers. This actually is the one real need here. Levonte David is coming off his worst season I believe as a pro. But they brought him back. That's great. They brought an Anthony Walker as a free agent. They have a cervocia Dennis w don't know much about at the other off ball, So that's the spot they actually I think they will want to develop someone at that position, whether it's in Round one or round three, that's a position I think they will be drafting. Other than that, I think they're in a great spot where they're just picking the best player of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you started to get worried about the defense. I know, Winfield, it felt like he was playing through something. Didn't miss those games last season as well. On top of that, where you'd like to see them get back to that Bowles defensive goal and I think that would do that.
Speaker 4: Another team that could use an edge.
Speaker 1: But they did get Hassan Reddick back and I like, yeah, diabe. They did draft the guy Chris Braswell in the second round last year.
Speaker 4: We haven't seen much out of him yet.
Speaker 1: Let's go to the last division and I'll kick us off this time. I'm going to start with the Arizona Cardinals, and their needs are not as screaming as they were a couple of years ago when this regime came over. For the most part, I think they've done a good job. I think they still need to fix their offensive line, and they have Joonah Williams coming off a major injury. But they really only have two guys that I look at when you look got the entire offensive line that you think are going to be part of the team long term that they feel confident about. That's their left tackle, Paris Campbell, and that's their center fro Ho, who they really like a lot. I believe they re signed him and has turned into a nice gem for them. They've taken some guys in the middle rounds and maybe they develop them, maybe they don't. But this is a team that wants to pound the rock. That kept their entire offense intact. They really didn't add anyone that's going to start. They have a new backup quarterback, but I think they could use a new starter, maybe even two on the offensive line. And if I had to guess, like they have needs on their defense as well, but if I had to guess, they would view that internally maybe as their biggest need.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I look to last season right where James Connor and Trey Benson got a little dinged up. The offensive line had its issues, and you kind of wondered, like, what was all the big part of that. I think it was a little bit of everything right that made the season kind of fall apart. But I think protection breakdowns and we tend to watch Kyler running around and think like, oh, that's him. Well, sometimes it was literally early pressure, yes, getting to Kyler where he wasn't able to fix it.
Speaker 1: And I think the run blocking maybe wasn't even bigger problem from a team that we expected to be really good. I expected to go into this exercise say an edge would be but it's not screaming because they have guys there after adding Josh Sweat, they brought back Baron Browning, Zavin Collins has been good, boj Ojalari had a good rookie year actually, and so and it's coming off a major injury. It's more of the off ball guys. I kind of expect Kaizier White, we'll be back there at some point. He's still a free agent. He's one of the guys in my one to one that has not been signed. And famously, the defensive coordinator named his kid after Kaizier White, So maybe that's making him a little tougher at the negotiating team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have to hold on a little bit longer to try to make it look like this wasn't going to happen the whole time the Rams.
Speaker 4: Nice offseason for the Rams, getting a lot of love, and I agree with it all. Yeah, I'm curious about this one.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, they deserve the love.
Speaker 3: It starts by getting your generational talented quarterback back, mending that particular relationship, building off the drafts that they have had, where I initially was thinking that there was a glaring need in the secondary, but no, it's in front of them.
Speaker 4: It is a glaring, screaming.
Speaker 3: Need at off ball linebacker, ok, where guys continue to leave and go other places and be valued there, including across the division where Ernest Jones came to a team in mid season that has been successful there where you can't keep doing this, invest at the position in some capacity and then be loyal to the guy.
Speaker 4: To me, I mean they can because they have and they will. I mean, you're right.
Speaker 1: It's driving Rams fans crazy because it's not like this strategy has worked. It's always the weakness of their defense and opponents in this division are always picking on it. And they lose their best guy from last year Christian Roseboom. By the way, who where is he? He's in Carolina. I think he's in So you know they they're not in a good spot there. I agree with you, And yet I actually think cornerback maybe not for this exercise, isn't as screaming because they have guys that can play Darius Williams of Kella Weatherspoon, Quentin Lake like veterans for the most part. But man, it'd be good to develop some premier talent at that position that you think are like plus starters.
Speaker 4: They haven't really done that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think they want to wait, and I honestly don't think that they Well, clearly they don't value the position.
Speaker 2: But when you've.
Speaker 4: What positioned cornerback, no, you're back.
Speaker 2: I'm back on linebacker.
Speaker 3: But I mean, yeah, they they've determined right that the pay structure doesn't necessarily work out to do these things.
Speaker 2: But I think they can.
Speaker 3: I think they could take some swings and get a get a veteran in at both positions.
Speaker 4: Also, Rob Havenstein Uh.
Speaker 1: Drafted by the Saint Louis Rams still at right tackle. Got I need to replace him at some point. That point is coming soon. San Francisco. The forty nine ers, would you believe right now in Vegas? Not just the division favorites, but I think tied for second in the first over under win totals. I saw put out there pretty weird, surprising a little too early to go over the overender win totals. They were the easiest team for me that we did because I thought they're screaming need. It was on the defensive line. I'd start at defensive tackle. That's my number one screaming need. It's just it's one of the most lacking defensive tackle rooms in the entire NFL, might be the most. Jordan Elliott, Kevin Gibbins, and then a couple undrafted guys Evan Anderson.
Speaker 2: You made those names up.
Speaker 1: No, Jordan Elliott's he's bounced around a little bit, lest at least I'm familiar with his work. Kevin Gibbons has played a little bit for them, and then a late round pick from four years ago, Coliade Davis. So yeah, they really don't have any And it's crazy because you think forty nine ers, you think defensive line, you think they've always developed that position well, and yet the second biggest need to me by far is defensive end.
Speaker 4: It's Bosa, one of the best players in league.
Speaker 1: But after that it's Drake Jackson, who hasn't worked out because of an injury, and maybe he gets better, but it's gross Matos so they brought it as a free agent, didn't have a great year. So I think both those positions, but especially defensive tackle, they are one of the teams that like they're going to make that pick in the first two rounds. They are taking the defensive tackle. Will I will oh put my name on it.
Speaker 3: Greg Rosenthal Special forty nine Ers, regardless of Kyle Shanahan's proclivities or John Lynch.
Speaker 4: I just think it's going to happen.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 4: There's no one there.
Speaker 3: I wondered how serious the double Bosa opportunity was considering the financials there.
Speaker 1: They reportedly made an offer, but it got blown out. They weren't even close to the MIAMII, So I think they were doing it for a certain number, which makes me think they could be like a Kalais Campbell team. He would makes sense for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's and the versatility of Kalaias Campbell because you could kind of slot them inside at times where they have to bargain hunt.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's it.
Speaker 1: Klays Campbell is in a good spot at the end of the off season every year. He just like kind of picks what contender. Now, he could have picked better than the Dolphins last year. But yeah, you could join the Eagles, joined the forty nine ers. All right, we'll wrap up this whole shebang with the Seattle Seahawks, my former team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the person who made that decision one of them, well, I'll just say the person who made that decision John Schneider at a news or this off season, said you can't just throw money at marginal play with regards to their screaming need at interior offensive line that has been screaming at them for years. And the idea is that you're throwing money at marginal play. Well, all the other teams are throwing money at the guys who are coming in and visiting you and having conversations with you. So at what point is this addressed? Or you just send out Sam Donald who has been had the pressure of the planet put on him and the idea is being pushed out there everybody. Well, this is Geno Smith. So you're gonna get Geno Smith production out of Sam Donald. You're going to send him on an absolute mission if you don't address this sneed.
Speaker 4: Greg You're absolutely right.
Speaker 1: I think Schneider feels more pressure to improve their offensive line in this draft than just about any GM has to improve any position, and yet he's not showing it on the.
Speaker 4: Outside too much.
Speaker 2: Got a secret plan.
Speaker 1: He did mention multiple times that the new coaches like a lot of the guys I drafted and they want to try to develop those guys. So Christian Haynes is a third round pick from last year. Anthony Bradford is another guard who is a fourth round pick a couple of years ago. Olawa Timmy played for them at center last year was a fifth round pick. And so some of these guys, Schneider's going to try to have Clint Kobiak in their new offensive line coach, make him look smart.
Speaker 4: We'll see if that works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great if it works out, but then you wonder how bad the coaching situation was prior that these guys weren't having that success.
Speaker 4: Well, the Ryan Graberra will not be looked back fondly.
Speaker 1: I feel I don't feel bad, but it just because I was excited he was. He seemed like he wanted to try some stuff. But it didn't. It didn't work out for anyone.
Speaker 4: I don't think they maximized it.
Speaker 2: It was all Michael Pinnocks like that.
Speaker 3: That's what That's what I have learned in hindsight about last year that Michael PENNOCKX junior was that dude at Washington.
Speaker 4: M Like, I think there's no question that was it.
Speaker 2: Got some people hired, got his.
Speaker 1: Guye Rome drafted top ten that that helped. I mean, there was good players around. Jayln McMillan looks like a good uh he does NFL player, And I think.
Speaker 2: That's because his quarterback was an MVP candidate.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 1: Baker Mayfield brought it back around Russell Wilson, by the way already doing pressers, saying that he expects to be the giants starting quarterback, that this team's looking for someone to lead them in every way in the off season, in the season, in their habits, and establish a winning culture.
Speaker 2: He better win. A dude behind him is going to be ripping darts.
Speaker 4: I know I be asking for it.
Speaker 1: That very much is a I'm marking my territory. You better you better know jamis what's going on.
Speaker 4: I do like that.
Speaker 1: The first Russell tweet that he sent out was a picture he clearly took from his iPhone that day of MetLife Stadium while he was like at the facility or whatever. I don't know, do you think or maybe he just took it off of Google Images.
Speaker 3: I don't know, because Rush used to have that extensive social team. Like I'm wondering, is that still something that he's that he's doing or you think he's.
Speaker 1: You think he's cut back that he has a screaming need for no just more social coordinator work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just running in himself.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which, we got we got some hot social coming out.
Speaker 4: Chris.
Speaker 1: Chris Pavona, who works on our Social says that his cut of Colleen Wolfe's performance on our previous episode is his master work, his magnum opus. So check that out wherever you can get Colleen Wilf's socials, which I would guess would be Twitter and Instagram and blue Sky. All right, let's get out of here. Good week here on NFL Daily. Appreciate you, Pat Check, I appreciate you. We will be back in your feed next with Daniel Jeremiah and forties and free Agents and yes, if you're watching on YouTube, you can see the blue screen of death with the frownie face.
Speaker 4: It's actually not making me feel like football is back.