Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: I'm Matt Miller and I'm Hannah Elliott, and this is Hot Pursuit. So we have David Gooding with us today. He is the president and founder of Gooding and Co. Which he started with his wife Don in two thousand and three. But actually Gooding and Co. Is now Gooding Christie's, which is really exciting because they're just Christie's was in the car business and then they got out and now they're back in and they're sort of bigger and better than ever. And you know, I will say we've definitely chronicled the competition among the auction houses and it is a real it's real thing. But I have to say universally, whenever I ask any of the other auction house people, they say very nice things about David It he is really universally liked and universally called a nice, decent guy. So that's that's really a tribute. And he's he's gonna be great to have on the show.
Speaker 3: And has, as as we've learned, a very strong exclusive relationship really with Pebble Beach. So it's a nice preview for the trip that you and I are going to take there in August. Let's get straight to it. Well, welcome to Bloomberg, David. Great having you with us. You know, Hannah's told me so many great things about you and your business, and so I'm really looking forward to basically hearing you guys chat because she is the journalist responsible for covering the auctions and classic cars and collectors and stuff, and I'm usually interested in like trucks and and muscle cars. So I'm gonna let her kind of hog the ball here. So Hannah, why don't you take it away?
Speaker 1: I call me Hannah the Hog.
Speaker 2: I love it, and I will say I feel like truck's dude dovetail with collecting definitely. Yeah, David, thank you so much for joining us. It's really great to have you. Obviously, you know we've worked together for years. You've been in the industry forever. I think, did you start Gooding and Co. In two thousand and three?
Speaker 4: Correct? Yeah, we started. Our first auction was two thousand and four.
Speaker 1: Wow, And but forever, well, it was just two thousand and three.
Speaker 2: You had been at you'd been every you'd worked for everyone else. I think you got all the best practices and then started your own company. You were actually at Christie's in the nineties. Give us like a give that a run through, because even I don't know, okay, back.
Speaker 4: Farther, Okay. So in January of nineteen ninety, right as the car market was shifting, none of us had realized it, I joined Christie's and I was at Christie's for eleven years and really learned the trade, and Christie's instilled in me and all of us that ethics were and you know, the certain way of doing business is the most important thing. That that's all that you've got really above and everything out, above everything else. So I was there for eleven years. Then I worked at RM for three and a half years, and after that we started Gooding Company in two thousand and three. So it's been it's been a long and interesting ride, and we've watched the market change develop I've seen you know, markets go up and down and watch it all happen, and it's been interesting to be to be there throughout it all.
Speaker 2: David, I want to get to market talk, but just to like put a pin in the arc of your career. The most recent news of the course is that now Gooding and Chrissy's are back together. Which must be so surreal for you having been there before. Can you just tell us how did that come about and what does that mean for you in your I don't think you really have a new role. You're kind of doing the same that you always did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know the role. The role doesn't feel really any different, so you know, to sort of go back as as I think I alluded to, I mean I always felt very near and dear to Christie's. It was it was, you know, the soft spot in my heart. So even when we were competing against each other in the in the early two thousands, uh, there was a friendly rivalry. And then Christie's for a while got out of the car car business, but we were We worked very well together. They would refer business to us, we would refer business to them. And then then a little over a year and a half ago, uh, the chairman of Christie's pulled me in and said, we really, we really need to change this. We want to we wanna we want to acquire your company. And so it was not something that we were really My wife and I were not really looking to do that, but it made a lot of sense. They're the each company has the same ethos there they were. It's really a perfect marriage. So yeah, we're we're now working together and uh and uh or technically I'm working for them and uh uh we are busy expanding the business. I mean we're going into Europe. Uh, We're we're looking at expanding our sales, we're adding staff. So it's it's great. I mean, we're we we have the financial wherewithal behind us now that we can really compete on every level. So we're it's super exciting for us.
Speaker 3: Can I just jump in and ask about your wife, because I don't want to seem too cliche, but I've always in my career hooked up with really smart women, and uh, I think that's been one of my advantages in life. Right my wife, Hannah Carol mass or you you talk about your wife, I guess your your partners in the business or what is that?
Speaker 4: Yes, one hundred percent partners. Now, I'm I'm in charge of sales and and and uh a lot of the business. But she she does all of our marketing and branding, and she's involved in finance and operations. So we we compliment each other very very well. And uh it's been great for us because because the sales end of the business requires so much travel and she doesn't have to travel as much, and so, you know, we we just it's been very good that, you know, while I'm out on the road getting getting cars for these various auctions, she's here holding down the fort. And you know, she she is brilliant in terms of marketing. She has a background in motion picture marketing. And her vision for our brand and our look and our feel that that's all her and we became very well known for that, and so I just you know, it's a great, great partnership and marriage.
Speaker 2: David, I guess I've never asked you this, but it strikes me that you are sort of the face of the company. I'm curious if did you and don ever have a conversation that she actually doesn't want to have to do the heavy lifting of like talking to people like Matt and and she's very happy to let you do that.
Speaker 3: Wait, this is heavy lifting for you.
Speaker 4: Well, this isn't heavylifting, but sometimes it's heavy lifting. Yeah, I mean, we we I don't know if we actually sat down and had that conversation or it just sort of developed, but it's we agree. I mean, there's certainly, there's so many things that she does that she does so much better than I do that, so we just we just stick in our certain lanes, you know, And and it's kind of implicit. I think it's it's pretty obvious there's a lot of things that I'm not very good at that she handles, and so it's, uh, it didn't need to be a conversation.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm okay.
Speaker 2: So back to what I really wanted to ask you too. After the Christie's news, you know, did Christie's come to you because they realized we need to get back into cars? I mean, are they what are they seeing in the market that made them think we need to get in on this again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I think they definitely saw that and realized it. I mean, the car market has exploded over the last few years, and they certainly were aware that so many of their clients that collect in other categories also collecting cars, and their competitors have car you know, vibrant car departments, and so they just they knew that it was an important aspect and it's quite you know, in the luxury category and in everything that Christie's does, they are really at the top of their field, and there was this big vacuum where they just weren't in the car business, and so that, you know, I think it became pretty obvious that they needed to be So it worked out really well. We were excited to join together.
Speaker 3: What is the unique selling point of Gooding. I mean, you've even I know you've sold some really exclusive cars the Yellowbird, uh dusenberg S, SJ and and some others that I've read about. And you're very closely connected to Pebble Beach where Hannah and I for the first time, Hannah's been there a million times, will go in August.
Speaker 4: Great, I'm glad you're coming out. So yeah, I mean we are. We've always been very involved at Pebble Beach. We've been the auction house there. Well, Christie's was an auction house there and then Gooding took over the spot. So now it's it's great that it's good in Christie's again, you know, I guess are we pride ourselves on not doing the most sales, but really focusing on quality and transparency and integrity, and and I think we're we're well, I know, we're quite passionate about the objects we really enjoy. We're very enthusiastic about the cars. Not to say that others are not, but but we get we get really focused on bringing out the best of every car that we can that we consign, and we search search the world. I just got back from from the UK too to get a big car that we'll be announcing soon. So we're constantly searching the world for the you know, the best kind of cars that we can find that are that are different, that we think will risk the market will respond to really, well, what are you.
Speaker 2: Seeing like when you like when you just travel and you're looking at cars, like, what has the market produced this summer?
Speaker 4: So you know it's there there. We're offered a lot and we turn away a lot. So the market, there are a lot of things that people put towards us that we say, you know, and they may be great cars, but they may be priced too high or we feel that there have been too many similar cars like that offered on the market. We feel like, you know, we want to we try to build a sale that is interesting and has a lot to offer, and we also are trying very hard to be conscious of what else is coming on the market, and that's hard because obviously our competitors don't you know, we don't know what they have, and they don't know what we have. So we try to balance things out and offer something that will be that that will respond our clients will respond well.
Speaker 1: To what are people trying to.
Speaker 4: Some you know, here's the thing. I mean, sometimes it's not what you know. We can we can hear, you know, clients will say, oh, I want to you know, you know, I want a really special roof, or I want you know, I want this kind of Ferrari or or this kind of Dusenberg. But but we actually always also try to think what can we they don't necessarily Sometimes we can try to anticipate what they want without them even knowing. So that sounds a little.
Speaker 3: You know, we presumptuous.
Speaker 4: Yeah, presumptuous. I don't Yeah, yeah, I don't mean it to be, but I.
Speaker 1: But I think that you're forecasting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we can we can just see that, oh, this is something really special. We know that their tastes are like this, and therefore they would like that, and and we try to match that. And it's exciting and you know, it's really exciting when when it works. Sometimes it doesn't work, but that's part of the fun of that's part of the fun of the auction businesses. It is a real test. I mean, you kind of you put yourself out there, you put these cars out there, you're you know, and the market speaks, and sometimes it applauds really loudly, and sometimes it doesn't, and that's okay. You know, we all learn from it. I like the I like the real feedback. It's a real test. It's not some you know, kind of manufactured thing that sometimes ourselves very well and sometimes they don't. And that is the market speaking.
Speaker 2: It does seem like, you know, if the money is in the room, the money is in the room, and if it's not, yeah, figuratively speaking obviously, yeah.
Speaker 4: And you know, and sometimes we we have cars that we're super excited about that we think we'll do exceptionally well and they can do just okay, or you know, other times they really surprise you. So it's you don't know, you know, And that's when you think you know, then then you're that dangerous. You can have an idea and you you know, but you don't know for sure.
Speaker 2: What is the conversation that you're having with people selling things, consigning things, and also those looking for things in terms of are they talking about tariffs? Are they talking about you know, economic and political factors.
Speaker 4: What's the chatter, well, the the the tariff, the introduction of tariffs in April. We basically should have taken the month off of April. We should we should we should have all gone on vacation then, because it just stopped all conversations. We were in discussion with a lot of clients from from England and Europe who were talking about giving bringing cars over to Pebble Beach, and it just shut everything down. And uh, but not only that, even our US clients were distracted by it. They obviously were focusing on their investments, the stock market, you know, all kinds of things, all of the news, and so that certainly had an effect this year. So what that did is it really compressed our time. I mean usually April May June is a real busy time for us in business gathering, in getting the consignments. What it did this year is it compressed it all into June and now we're just getting the last few cars in for Pebble Beach in July. It's really tight. But yeah, so that's that's what it's done. It's really just our windows. So the I think all the noise, and I would call it all the distraction of that has has calmed down a little bit and people are ready to move on and kind of you know, make decisions anyway and commitments anyway.
Speaker 2: So some of the concern sorry, Matt, I'll just I'll let you I'll let you ask a question just to follow up. Some of the concerns specifically was even if you even if vintage cars were exempt from you know, these very high tariffs, parts would still be taxed. Yeah, And it was unclear if a car was had for like you know, certain alloy or steel components, whether it be taxed partially based on that percentage of the car.
Speaker 4: Right. It was just very it was very unclear, and the messaging was unclear. So it was you know, people saying it was chaos. Yeah, so, uh, you know, nobody really knew and people didn't want to make big decisions, which which I understand. But I think now it has calmed down a little bit, and certainly for pre two thousand cars, which is a lot of what we sell, it's it's calmed down. And again I think a lot of it was just people not wanting to focus on their car side of their life and really focus more on everything else that they were dealing with. I mean a lot of these a lot of our clients are very active in business, and so they were, you know, there was they were dealing with more urgent issues first, and then they kind of came out of the came out of the cloud and could talk about their summer plans.
Speaker 3: You mentioned the pre two thousand cars, and I'm looking at a list of it. Maybe you know, an Ai hallucination, but a list of the most famous cars you've sold, and almost all of them look like pre nineteen sixty. You've got the Dusenberg, the afore mentioned Dusenberg nineteen thirty five, Talbot Alago nineteen thirty seven, nineteen oh three, Mercedes Simplex. But then you get a bunch of fifties ferraris right, the requisite Bugatti Type fifty nine at Alfa Romeo eight c also in nineteen thirties cars, and the only thing modern I see is the Yellowbird nineteen eighty nine off CTR yellow Bird and the nineteen ninety five McLaren F one. Is that starting to change, a little?
Speaker 4: David? Are you?
Speaker 3: Are you selling newer cars or are people you know, are the high highest networth individuals still focused on the classic sort of pre war American cars and the fifties.
Speaker 4: Ferraris, Oh, we're definitely selling a lot more contemporary newer cars than we ever did before. Definitely trending that way. I mean in the what you're seeing in the you know, north of ten million dollar range, they tend to be more classic are cars, not as much that you know, Porsches and things like that. But we have sold we still hold a record for the Porsche mark with a nine to seventeen that we sold. That's obviously a sixty Porsche, but we sold the car we sold lamal winning Porsche nine five six from the eighties. So there are much more contemporary cars. A lot of our bread and butter cars are are you know, nine ninety three Porsches and more contemporary cars like that. Lots of more contemporary Ferraris Mercedes. So yeah, we're seeing that, you know, we are. We've sold McLaren f ones, will continue to sell McLaren f ones, but to get to get north of fifteen million dollars, it tends to be a classic era car and you know.
Speaker 3: But I see this nineteen ninety five. McLaren f one sold a Pebble Beach in twenty seventeen for fifteen point six two million dollars.
Speaker 4: That was we sold. No, we sold on McLaren f one for more money than fifty team it brought brought twenty Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is a stunning.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Are the people who buy something like that? Is that someone who's buying like bitcoin and lives in Dubai?
Speaker 1: Like what type of buyer is that?
Speaker 4: So that was names but you can't Yeah, yeah, I can give you sort of a profile that that was a an American collector who we've known for a long time. And I was a bit surprised that he that he bought that car that was newer territory for him. But yeah, no, I mean he's a he's a he is a you know, follows the typical profile of our of our clientele.
Speaker 3: Are these guys all anonymous or do you have buyers who are pretty open about what they're doing?
Speaker 4: Both?
Speaker 3: Are?
Speaker 4: There are some that are very open and a lot tend to be more anonymous, But yeah, they're they're very open. Some are extremely private about it. But yeah, I would say, you know it tends to be about seventy percent are pretty anonymous about it. But then of course when they take these cars to a classic car show or to a concord, you know, it all gets revealed.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you about the conversation that you have with sellers about reserve prizes? And this is something Met and I have discussed and debated before about the merits of having a reserve. Yeah, what do you counsel people? And maybe it depends on the car and you can talk to us about the nuances, but what are the benefits of setting a reserve or not? Because I think you know, if you don't have a reserve, the market truly speaks for itself.
Speaker 4: It does, you know. We well, we have we have these sales estate sales oftentimes where everything is no reserve. And you know, the cars that we have at any of our auctions, anything two hundred and fifty thousand dollars or below is without reserve. Oftentimes we have cars that are north of that value that are without reserve. You know, I think particularly on high production, easy to value cars, I think of like a three hundred sl is going or a roadster that is a perfect car, that is a perfect valuable car. You know, they tend to be. They're worth over a million dollars. That is a perfectly safe, valuable car to it in at no reserve. Now that's easy for me to say, it's not it's not you know, it's not my it's not my neck on the line there.
Speaker 1: But it's it's kind of a known thing.
Speaker 4: It's in this day and age, especially at an auction like Pebble Beach, it's the world stage. It's it's where the many world records are set. Year after year after year, everyone will be there. A three hundred sl is going to sell for a market price, whatever the market. If you're if you're accepting I'm going to sell the car this year, I'm going to sell it for a market price. I would I think it's better to put it in no reserve if you if you're comfortable with that, because actually what that does is it focuses all of the potential buyers. They think, oh, you know, I'm kind of casually looking at that car, but I'm not sure if it's really gonna if it's priced writer or you know, maybe it will sell, maybe it won't sell. When you say it's no reserve, it is going to sell. It's going to walk on stage. It's selling no matter what. So so you or get you know, you better really focused because if you want to you know, if you think, oh, I'll pay one point two for that car all day long, well you better look at it. You better do your research because it could sell for it could sell for one point one, it could sell for one point three. But you you know, get get get in the get in the fight. And uh so, definitely no reserve can be great. Uh it of course can be can be risky, but I think I think it's very good again, especially on cars that are like that or or cars that are you know, so fresh to the market. And and you know, if you have if you have a low cost basis and you really just want to you're going to sell the car anyway, it's better to just put it, put it at no reserve.
Speaker 2: And as a spectator, it's exciting. I mean I love going to auctions just to watch. I think they're so fun. People should do it.
Speaker 1: It's yeah.
Speaker 4: I I I often encourage people come watch, even if you're not you're not into cars, it's just an interesting dynamic to see it. So I'm excited Matt that you're going to be uh.
Speaker 3: Oh, I can't wait. By the way, did you were you in the car or is this uh?
Speaker 4: Is it is?
Speaker 3: Did you get into cars because the auction business or have you always been kind of a gearhead?
Speaker 4: I my dad was an automotive museum curator, so I grew up in an automotive museum. So yeah, I he told me, don't ever get in the car business. You you love cars, you want to collect them. You'll never make money in the in the car business. You should be a dentist. I'm glad I didn't follow his advice. He gave me a lot of other great advice, though, but he was he was as a museum curator. Really never was able to collect the cars that he was passionate about. But what it did, was it it? You know, it gave me a great education. After school. Every day I would go to these automotive museums and study the cars and study the hang out in the libraries and read the books. And you know, I had no, no, no plans to go into this business. But I needed a job out of college.
Speaker 3: And so what's your thing? I mean, like, I guess since your dad is a museum curator, you probably already had very sort of Hoteku tour taste. I never heard of a Talbot logo, for example.
Speaker 4: Yeah and yeah, yeah, you know. So my thing I really love, really I love performance cars from any era. So what a lot of people don't realize is the very old cars, you know, pre World War One cars can be very exciting and fun to drive and very fast, and so I really like that era car. I like cars from the thirties. I love cars from the thirties, but anything that is really performance oriented, the fifties and sixties. They're just different eras that are magical and exciting, and so I grew up around all of those and I have a natural love for those. But I've come to love more contemporary cars as well. So I like it all, but I think my natural I would say, my natural soft spot is pre seventy four and earlier, So anything from We've sold eighteen ninety six steam car, sorry, eighteen eighty six steam car, which was a race car from eighteen eighty six, which is kind of crazy.
Speaker 1: That's not the one you had at Retromobile.
Speaker 4: That was the three Mercedes.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, fantastic another.
Speaker 2: I will always obviously sort of remember that car.
Speaker 4: That was incredible car, absolutely incredible car. That was the McLaren F one of nineteen three and unbelievable car, maybe the most important car we ever sold.
Speaker 2: So and I asked about the restoration of those cars. Do you guys do in house restoration and how go? And like, okay, so, how does that work? If someone has something that you know is really significant but it needs a little bit of love.
Speaker 4: So I mean, we will do very light work to bring a car back to life if we have a if we have a barn discovery, uh, and we think it can be brought you know, it could be running with just a very little effort of you know, changing the oil and fluids and fuel and whatnot. We'll do that. But we tend not to to do restoration work. We're not we're not a restoration business. We don't we actually have that's a whole complicated specialty that that we have tremendous respect for and we're we're we're friends and we love to collaborate with a lot of these restoration shops and you know they do they do what they do very very well, and we don't. We don't want to compete with them, and so we'll we'll send work their way and they'll they'll often refer cars to us. But that's a you know, restoration is I have tremendous respect for for for those specialists and experts, so we tend you know. The other thing is I mean from a from a market point of view. Also layered on top of what I just said, was that you'd never quite know what the next client is going to want to do with the car. They may want to not touch it at all. You know, we had a we had an alloy alloy body two seventy five Ferrari that was covered in dust and and and we pulled it out of this uh barn and the fellow the bought it just got a running but he didn't touch it. It's still dirty, it looks it needs a car wash, but he just drives it around like that. He uses it and drives it like that. So you never you don't want to make an assumption of what a client will want to do with the car. And you know, sometimes clients will want to restore them. Sometimes I want to leave them exactly as they are. Sometimes they'll do something in.
Speaker 2: The middle that's actually really cool. I mean it's a way to get your Ferrari to stand out.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I was a little surprised. I mean, I actually I thought in this he's an incredible client and friend. But I if I were initially, I would have washed the car, you know, And now that I now, it's been about ten years and I think it looks really cool, and I'm I applaud them. I'm like, God, I'm glad. I'm glad that wasn't me. I would have cleaned it and it would have looked like so many other two seven fives, and now it stands out and looks different. He cleaned the windows so he could see out of it. But that's it.
Speaker 3: By the way, David, you obviously develop relationships with I'm sure the sellers and the buyers here. And so if I look at a list of the cars you sell, most of them are at Pebble Beach or at Amelia Island. And but I wonder if someone would come to you and say, listen, I want to sell this, you know, Bugatti, but I don't want to do it at an auction. Do you know anybody who wants to buy it? Do you do like more a substantial amount of private sales like that.
Speaker 4: Yes we do. We've we did many private sales. We actually, well, Bugatti is a great example. We sold a Bugatti years ago for a family they had, the Williamson family. They had one of the best Bugatti collections ever assembled, and we sold ten of the cars to and all of the money went for charity at auction. But then the Bugatti Atlantique, which was there, it's one of the greatest Bugattis there is, they wanted that sold privately, so we we did a private sale of that. So yes, we do private sales. We've we've sold we have the highest price world record for were a Ferrari, which we sold privately. Actually we've sold many Ferraris, but two fifty gto. We've sold a couple of two fifty gto Ferraris privately. So yes, we'll do private sales. We you know, I mean more of our sales are at auction, but definitely we do private sales. And it really depends on the car, the timing, the needs of the seller that we really give advice and oftentimes people will say I want to sell something privately, but then we'll counsel them and say, well, you know, I mean, if where do we think something will sell best?
Speaker 3: So it really depends, by the way, do you ever talk to when I think about Bugatties, I think about the classics initially only, but then I think about they still make cars that are really cool and they I was lucky enough to go to Mulesheim and see you know, you know, the mansion and the factory, and it was such a cool thing.
Speaker 4: Do you ever talk to like.
Speaker 3: The people who are building these new cars and they say, hey, David, what should we do about these tail lights don't work right? Or you know, you know, like give anybody advice because you not just an auctioneer. Obviously your father was a museum curator, so you're someone with vast knowledge of the histories of these marks.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, I've been to many of the factories. I have not been to the Bugatti factory, and I would love to go. It's it's on my list of things to do. But I have been to many of the factories, and we've been involved in launches of new cars. It's throughout the years and everything. They've never no one's ever consulted us on on on designing, so I don't know. I h that's us, yes, exactly, that's that's maybe a goal. Yeah. When I was a kid, I wanted to be a our designer. But you know, now it's so uh, committee driven and everything. I don't know, I think it might be kind of frustrating to you know. They used to be you know, it used to be the vision of one person that could really make their design scene. But now it's uh, now it's very corporate and everything. So no, I haven't been involved in design but yet, but yeah, I would love to.
Speaker 3: I wasn't thinking about Folkswagen. I was thinking about like Horatio Pagani.
Speaker 5: Or yeah you know or you knoweah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah I should see, yeah, something something else to do.
Speaker 2: So right, David, what's your advice for Matt or anyone or me going to the Pebble Beach Monterey Car Week, especially from you guys at the auction. But what should we be watching for? What do you want to uh, what do you want to highlight?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, going to I mean, you know, Matt, if it's your first time, just sit in the audience and watch it all unfold. As I say, it's it's exciting to see there will be some things that perform very very well. Uh and kind of just watch it, you know, see see if you can pick out why they why they perform well, if you can, if you can walk around during the viewing, look at the cars ahead of time. You know, when we you see the cars, we photograph them beautifully. They they're there. It's but when you see them in person, they really come. I mean, there's just like I mean, you know, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: And they will brag and say, I've been invited to ride in a Dusenberg in the dawn patrol. I don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: Patrol, Matt, you have to do that.
Speaker 4: You're going to do that, Yeah for sure. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh that's super exciting.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, someone who works for Mikheil Haggerty invited me to ride in his So that's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh you definitely definitely, you'll you'll enjoy that. That is a that's a very special thing to experience, rolling on the on the lawn in the car like that.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've ever ridden in pre war car at all, in any pre war car, so yeah, it'll be new for me.
Speaker 4: Oh that'll be that'll be fun. You'll enjoy that. My favorite event of the week is the Thursday the tour because you see all the cars that are going to be on the loan on Sunday, but they're out there for the first time. Oftentimes the owners are seeing them after extensive restorations for the first time, and the cars fire up and they take off, and to see the cars in motion, you know, at fairly good speed as opposed to you know, driving driving over a ramp, which is one thing, which is great, but to see them like take off and fire up, it's it's really that's special. So definitely soak in the Thursday the Thursday thing, and the great thing is you can you can watch all that unfold and then just walk right into our tent and look at the viewing and then kind of study the cars and then you'll see them sell on Friday and Saturday night.
Speaker 1: Soak it all up. Yeah, that is a really cool thing about Pebble Beach.
Speaker 2: It's like each one of those cars that you see on the lawn actually runs, and that's part of what they're evaluated on these art you know.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, trailer queens, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, And hearing them and seeing them in motion and seeing them with against you know, seeing cars in context. I mean that's the you know, when you when you see them with other cars of the era or you know, you really begin to appreciate how incredible they were for their time or still are, and that's really that's really exciting, so that you know, I love I love the tour for that reason. And the other nice thing about the tour is that the cars are mixed up. They're not by class. It's fun to see them in class on the lawn on Sunday, but to see them there, you know, you'll see you'll see a tiny little Alfa Romeo next to a giant Dusenberger Mercedes or you know, in different eras, and all are fantastic. So it's really fun.
Speaker 2: David, I know we're coming to the end of our time, but I also want to ask about Retromobile.
Speaker 1: Yes, next year, this is you know.
Speaker 2: This really fabulous car show that's been in Paris for many years, but it's coming to the States, and I know you guys are a big part of that. Can you kind of give us a preview of what to expect?
Speaker 4: Sure, so Retromobile, you've been to Retromobile, I don't know Matt if you've been, but if not, that's another thing you've got to do, so I love to. Yeah, okay, Well, so Retromobile in Paris it's the it's the biggest car event in Europe. It happens the end of January and February. We're doing an auction there where the selected auction house to hold an auction there, so we're super excited about that. It will be our first auction in France. And then Retromobile for the first time is moving that magical, fantastic, unique event to bring it to bring it to the United States. It'll be in New York at the Javit Center in November and we're going to do an auction there and Retromobile for people that are not familiar with it, it is like the the best automobile trade show there is. I mean, there are the world's top dealers bring they build these fantastic stands and shows and show their top cars that they have for sale. There are manufacturers that bring out their latest cars as well as their heritage cars, private collectors clubs. It's it's really wonderful. And then then there are little sections where where you can buy vintage car parts or or fashion. You know, if you if you want to buy helmets or goggles and you know, driving shoes things like that. There's all kinds of things. If you're looking for that carburetor that you haven't found for for you know, years and years, you might find it there. It's it's just a great event like nothing else.
Speaker 2: It is really cool and I really hope, I mean, it's so charming in Paris because it's Paris. Yes, I really hope New York can kind of develop its own spin on it, you know, and really it'll take hold.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm confident that that that that it will. I mean, the organizers are very excited about they're extremely creative, and they want to bring the French flair but keep keep it American, but but bring the whole ethos of Retromobile Paris to New York. And you know, they were they were debating different cities, and we had discussed it a little bit, and I said, come on, there's there's like the the obvious city is New York. I mean you know, yeah, exactly. And you know, the fun thing, the great fun thing about that event, unlike some other car events where you're kind of just locked into just being at the car event. The great thing about Retrobile is you come and go. It happens over a few days. So you know, in Paris you go in and then you go have a fantastic meal or something outside and come back, you know later in the day or the next day. Same kind of thing will happen in New York. People will will come and go and enjoy the city around it and just have have the magic of the venue the city all around you.
Speaker 3: By the way, one one more question. I know we're running up against the clock here, but for people who can't spend a lot of time going to Retromobile, going to Pebble Beach, what are some good resources to be introduced to this world, because you know, there's not some very popular pre war car forum, but I know there's some books.
Speaker 4: I'm also there are there's there's a there, there are some but they're not perhaps known as well.
Speaker 3: There's like pre work card that is accessible right right, right, So do I go to the REVS Institute.
Speaker 4: Or yes, yes, yes, rev. REVS is fantastic, I'm very involved there, incredible resource. REVS is wonderful, Peterson is wonderful. Uh. There there are the Peterson Siams fantastic. There are many resources. There are also clubs that are that that do great. They have great resources as well. So it really depends on the type of car that you're you know.
Speaker 3: I'm just worrying about the pre war stuff, you know, because I'd love to get into like a flathead V eight and I don't know nineteen thirties Ford, but I don't know, like there's no hot rod clubs around me that I know about, and I don't have access to Miles Collier on the regular basis, So like, who who are the people who know this stuff? What books?
Speaker 4: Can you read it? You can? Yeah, I mean the start off by going to you know, go on the REVS website. That's a that's a great source. You live in New York, right, yep, Okay, let's see in the New York area, I mean there are there are cars and coffee events. I can definitely you know, I'd be happy to connect you with some VA four guys that they're great. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean I've got a lot of friends up in Vermont area that are into VA Fords and stuff, so I could connect you there. Yeah. It's a it's a great world. And those cars are fun, beautiful, very affordable. I think a tremendous value. So yeah, I'm I'm excited for you. I think that's a that's a that's a great event. So things like you know, if not too far from New York, but in no sorry, October is the Hershey Classic Car Swap Meet. You will see tons of tons of cars there. There's thousands of cars and many many, many V eight Fords and things like that, and people that are crazy about them. So yeah, we can we can connect you with all kinds of people.
Speaker 3: Very cool, a new mission. Yeah, David, it's been fantastic talking to you. Thank you so much for joining us. Our thanks to David Gooding, president and founder of Gooding and Company, for joining us. And that does it for this edition of Hot Pursuit. For Hanna Elliott, I'm Matt Miller, and this is Bloomberg