Speaker 1: It's the Son of a which podcast. I'm your host, claud de Marmon my guests. This week, Justin Parsons teaches out at Sea Island, Georgia. We have him on the pod before. I mean, I'm biased, but I think he's one of the best instructors in the game. And his student, Harris English, gets his fifth win at the Farmers JP. Always good when players get wins early on in the season. But when I was looking at and doing some research on this and I was watching on Sunday, I was watching at a friend's house and he was like, man, why is the Harris English win more? And I was like, he wins today, it's this fifth win. So I think when Harris does win and he gets in the hunt and we watch him on TV and we watch him firing on all cylinders JP. I mean, he's so much fun to watch and he's such a complete player, and when he does win, you watch his game and you're like, dude, discussion win a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, his ability to get locked down and focus is probably his greatest strength. His competitiveness, and you know, all the way through his career he's been a great competitor and extremely hard worker, which you know, I know you would appreciate he uh, you know, he beats me into the golf school and and uh in Sea Island an awful lot. He's there, he does, he's in the gym and he's doing his work.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I think as he's matured as a player, he's searched for the fields of comfort and confidence through preparation and structure. And that's almost got him away from some of the natural kind of flamboyance, that ability just to be to be a competitor and lock in and get focused. It almost takes his brain like a little bit more like left sided, Like let's get all of the analytical side done, let's swing the golf club really well, let's do all my drills, you know, so really from Palm Springs and moving forward. I was trying to remind him that I want to see harrising this the golfer. I'm not really as concerned with watching your golf swing. I want to see, you know, how you're behaving as a golfer, how you're walking, how you how your focus is, how your.
Speaker 2: Energy levels are.
Speaker 3: And you know, he responds, he's a great lad to coach.
Speaker 2: He responds, really really well.
Speaker 3: He really really listens, and as you and I know, that can be both a blessing and a curse because if they really really listened to better tell them the right stuff.
Speaker 1: You posted something on your Instagram and it was an interview that Harris did post round on Saturday where he talked about he was trying to not fall into the trap JP, and it's something that you and I talk about, you know, privately, it's something we talk about to our students, But it's very easy as a competitive professional golfer to get caught into the trap of what your technique looks like, what your golf swing looks like, what the numbers look like, what it looks like on video. But as I tell players all the time, and you know this as well, everybody in the game is trying to make their golf swing better. Nellie Corda and Lydia Co on the women's side, Scotti Scheffler, Rory mcaway on the men's slide. All four of those players, or the best in the game are trying to improve their technique, so that never changes. And I thought it was interesting that Harris City's trying to get back to maybe getting away from technique, technique, technique the way it looks the numbers and kind of get back into heating shots and playing the game. How do you feel like that balance happens for players and what do you feel like has helped Harris kind of get back into that play mode as opposed to technique because Jpe we talk a lot, you send me swings, We talk about our players that we work with, and Harris can go down the technique work rabbit hole, right. Harris is a worker. He believes that the secret is in the dirt, but sometimes you can try and make it so perfect. And that's what he said, We're all trying to make it perfect.
Speaker 2: Well, are you know? On our responsibility is as coaches.
Speaker 3: You know we've also you and I have also talked about the fact that you know you've got to You got some guys who are just swing coaches, and they're just there to do a job as a as a as a swing coach, which is basically like a Formula one technician in the pit lane, and they're not there to help the driver navigate the turns. They're just there to make sure the cars going as fast and as efficiently as possible. In our sort of role. You've got to be a little bit of both. And I think that, you know, a couple of things on that. I think with young players that I work with now, I try and help educate them that they've got to be able to flick between the responsibility of swinging the golf club properly and swinging the golf club efficiently and managing their tendencies, and they've got to then flick back into I need to be a competitor. I need to be able to go and play. I need to be able to leave all of that behind. And I would say that the ability to flick between those two, you know, whether we think of those twos as left brain, right brain, or whether they.
Speaker 2: Think of those two as two different mentalities. The ability to do that quickly.
Speaker 3: I think sometimes to me separate some of the best players in the world from some of the excellent PGA Tour players. I mean, I've certainly had a lot of golfers that I've worked for who struggle.
Speaker 2: With that a little bit.
Speaker 3: And I remember listening to Tiger Woods talking about the fact that he can go from really breaking down his technique and thinking very technically to you know, hitting his windows and just being creative and being able to play. And I think what Harris is an example of someone who you know, is he's you know, he's a dad. Now he's in his you know, he's in the he's at the certainly the beginning of the second half of his career, he's beginning to recognize that I need to be somebody to win golf tournaments, and I also need to be somebody else to be able to be efficient enough to put myself in position that when I flick that switch, I can go and win golf tournaments. And that's, uh, you know, that's certainly a big responsibility of ours. And I know you and I we try and we try and break that puzzle all the time, and half the time we were left wondering why it was so difficult when they win, and how we're ever going to get them.
Speaker 2: Back to that place when they're they're not hitting it so good.
Speaker 1: Harris is the type of player JP that has won at every level of his golfing career. Like he's just one of those guys. He's played the Walker Cup, you know, he was a standout at Georgia. He was an accomplished and then he's you know, an accomplished career on the PGA Tour, turned pro in twenty twelve. It's made over thirty million dollars. He's been on a Ryder Cup team. Put that balance, JP, Why do you think that golfers in general, but also at the elite level, JP, why do you think sometimes players get out of the playing of the game part of it and just get into the technical part of it. You know, We've got a kid, Nico Daris, who works with us a lot on performance stuff, and Niko, he's been on the party, doesn't come from the golf background, and he said, I find it fascinating the way people practice golf. It says, if you're trying to play in the NBA and the only thing you do is practice free throws, that's it. And you play the game and you evaluate what you did in the game, and you look at the game, and then you just go straight back to the free throw line and just work on your shot and your technique. And there is so much more to come peeting and playing. But the trap of just technique, I mean, are we part of the problem is instructors? You know, because I mean it's it's fashionable to have people like us on your team and stuff. But the balance of the playing of the game and the technique of it. Why do you think you can go down the rabbit hole and think, Okay, the only way I can get better is just to make my golfing matter.
Speaker 2: I think it.
Speaker 3: From a from a perspective of just the common sense of it. I think it's probably laziness and lifestyle that takes them in the direction that they go in. You know, I always look at the college systems in the States, and when I talk to Harris and Brian about being in Georgia, they were they were either qualifying, or they were competing, or they were doing the gauntlet short.
Speaker 2: Game drills, or they we haven't putting competitions.
Speaker 3: And then when they move away from that, they get out on their own and all of a sudden, they're you know, on a range, they're beaten balls. They're not playing golf with their buddies as much. They're not as competitive because they're not surrounded by as many people. And as they reach kind of like adulthood, they start thinking, well, if I make this golf swing better, then I'm going to be better.
Speaker 2: And I try and remind them all the time.
Speaker 3: That you know, I need a blend of the way that you were behaving as kids and the way that you're behaving as adults, because undoubtedly, if if the if the movement is incorrect and the shot patterns are terrible, you can have the most competitive, wonderful mindset and you can still go out and shoot seventy five. So again, you know, our job is to ensure that they recognize that if they're in a training, if they're in a in a place where they're training their training, if they're in a place where they're preparing, they're preparing, and whenever they're they're able to perform, we should have we should have prepared them for that. I agree that you know, and I've tried to certainly try and make sure that I'm not the problem. But you know, to your point, sometimes when they're locked into that mentality of well, I need to swing it better, and my teachers here.
Speaker 2: Behind me, he needs to help me swing it better, we can feed that.
Speaker 3: We can feed that addiction, and some players are are locked into that addiction so much so that they find it very difficult to ever move into into that sort of more play mode. And you know, your father and you have told me great techniques to help move from from one of those modes to the other. And I think you know, any of the teachers you know watching these types of podcasts need to recognize that, you know, that's a big part of what we're doing all the time.
Speaker 1: I worked with a kid the other day that Jean Paul Abert, who's now the head coach at UNLV. He was a longtime assistant at the University of Texas for John Fields. He saw all their great players, his father won the PGA. But this player came in. JP's a junior. I mean, typical prototype college player that you see all the time now, six one to six, three tons of speed, hits at miles and really, like a lot of players we see, JP somewhat lost. And he said that when he played high school golf, he didn't think of anything right, He just played. He just played the game. Didn't really have a lot of tech thoughts, didn't really have a lot of golf swing thoughts. But he said when he got to college, everybody's got a launch monitor, everybody's working on their drills, everybody's working on their swing. And he said he went down this trap of thinking, Okay, I need to constantly get golf balls on launch monitors. I need to constantly work on that technique and the balance for everyone listening, specifically JP, for the competitive golfers listening, how do they navigate that execution technique? How much time do you think they should be devoting to technique and how much time should they be devoting to execution.
Speaker 3: I think it's definitely going to be different from player to player. I mean, again, if somebody's if somebody's not moving well and not putting the golf club on the ball, well, say they're a midam and they're they're not fine in the fair way and they're going to try go try and play in the US midimal, Well they've got to They've got to fix up. So again, it's like we always say, it's individual, it's individual to individual, and I'm certainly they're some people who respond just find it being on the range a lot. You know, we've seen Bja Sing over the years standing beating golf balls in the range. We've seen Sergio Garcia who never hardly hit a shot even in a warm up, and Colin Montgomery who hit I think he hit thirteen shots or something in his warm ups. So you know again, I think everyone has to be treated individually. I do believe though, if you're going down that rabbit hole of technique and you're starting to think about a lot of things in the golf course, then I think you've got to get back to, you know, hitting some shot shapes, doing some of your nine ball drills like you and I have talked about going I play golf with a half set, play from different tees, you know, get creative. I mean, I try and also remind people that as we go through life. I remember meeting this rather eccentric old South African psychologist when it was working on the European tour, and I think he'd written a book called the Nine Stages of Life, and it was like, every five years, how your mentality shifts a little bit. So undoubtedly, when you're fifteen to twenty, you know you haven't kind of reached full adulthood. Certainly the guys havn't reached full adulthood. We're still in that playful kind of creative stage. We don't remember the bad things, we remember all the good things. From twenty to twenty five, that shifts a little bit from twenty five to thirty, that definitely shifts and by the time you get to our stage you realize that, you know, there's an awful lot of water under the bridge. So I mean educating the players you know in that regard, And that's again one of the other reasons why you have to treat these people so so much as individuals. I mean, Harris English is an adult. He recognizes that if he sucks the golf club inside and closes the face on the way back and hits pools, he has to fix that. But at the same time he also now is really starting to recognize that, well, I can't have to fix that on a Monday.
Speaker 2: Because I certainly can't be thinking about that an awful lot on a Thursday.
Speaker 1: When you look at Harry's golf swing, JP, what is the DNA of what he does that makes him a great player, that makes him a great ball striker. Because listen, we used to go up when DJ was playing on the PJ Tour. We play a lot of practice rounds with him. I mean they were boys kind of in that kind of same kind of age demographic, Southern boys and stuff like that. So we would play a lot of golf with Harrison. And when you watch him hit golf balls. I mean, I mean, like I said in the opening, it's impressive. So what is his DNA? What does he do when he plays well like last week and wins, and then what are the traps that he gets into that calls him to not play his best golf?
Speaker 2: You know, I think he was I think he was coached really well.
Speaker 3: And you know, Jan Reeves is one of the guys that works at Sea Island with me. Is Keith Mitchell's coach, and Chan's that I become a great friend of mine, like yourself, and we talk about the golf swing a lot. On Chan came up looking at Davis Love's golf swing, and Harris idolized Davis Love, who incident at least recovering really well from from a little surgery he's just had, so we all wish him well. I think that Harris's golf swing reverberates around width and balance and rhythm, and I think we probably lump you and your dad and stuff into that would all recognize those as wonderful traits with great players having great rhythm, having great balance, having great width. I think that potentially his overall education about staying wide was one of the things that we've certainly talked about a little bit. You know, he didn't quite understand when the arms would sort of fold and when the golf club would sort of fold and allow the golf club to stay in front of his body as opposed to him kind of sucking it a little bit too far behind him. And I think that that has found him out. I think that some of the physical limitations that he's had. We know that he had the Valentine's Day twenty twenty two, he had that fairly significant surgery on his right hip, and he's always had a very limited amount of internal rotation as right hip. I remember you talking to me about Graham McDowell, I think who you worked for for many years in European tour and a similar sort of thing. So I think within those physical limitations, especially on that trail side, we run into some some situations where the backswing can get a little bit less efficient, he can get into some reverse patterns, which is you know, I'm happy to say, is an awful lot better now. So, like you know, we talk about a lot, the DNA tends to come from the physicality of the player coupled with the influences the early coaching sort of styles, and that brings great strengths and some weaknesses that we have to keep tidy.
Speaker 2: And I mean, we look at DJ's.
Speaker 3: Golf swing that I kind of marvel at and we can see that there are some things that he does so so well and there's a couple of little things that he needs to clear up.
Speaker 2: And Harris is no different.
Speaker 1: When Harris plays his best like last week, JK, what shape is he trying to hit?
Speaker 2: He loves his stock shot to be a fade, a.
Speaker 1: Little bit of just kind of a bleeder to where And that's interesting, jar Man, I think, tell this story. You caddied for Harry earlier this year on the bag. I've always I've done that, you know, a couple of times and plast I'm years ago for the first ta A Scott Cup. I caddy for Trevor Immomant for eighteen holes. Is fascinating and carry the bag and be on the bag in a competitive environment to see the way these guys think, what was that like when you caddy form out. I was in Napa, right, it.
Speaker 2: Was in Napa.
Speaker 3: He was, yeah, he was in in We were just trying to figure a few things out. He'd been working so hard and preparing well and looking great in this preparation he we went out to NAPA. We I would say that from my side, it helped me understand just the sort of the energy that he brings to different shots, certainly the potential to potentially over complicate some shots that I think he needs to He needs to still kind of frame and keep simple. I think when when some people are put in uncomfortable positions, sometimes they get a little bit more complex about the solutions as opposed to just trying to keep it very simple. And we messed up up a couple of you know, kind of complicated shots. One shot off an uphill lie to a green that sits from back to front, and he's got one thirty eight and it's a you know, it's just a little cam pitching wedge and even if he pulls it into the middle of the green, it's not it's not one of those shots even with a wedge, you're not going to hit it very close. But he just, you know, he kind of got muddled up with it and he tried it a low cut off and upslope, and you know, we so we we've talked about that so it was a great way for me to see how he you know, how he navigates those difficult situations.
Speaker 2: Interesting player.
Speaker 3: You know, when when you give him a number and he needs to stretch an iron shot a little bit, he's so so good at that. You know, he'd give him a front left flag at you know, one one eighty two and he hits his you know, he say, he hits his eight iron one seventy one and it's three or four downhill, He'll stretch it a little bit and get a little bit more out of it, and it's it's interesting that and it also helped me to understand how naturally he doesn't kind of like taking distance off. He'd rather stretch a club three four yards than then start to sort of take four or five yards off a club. So you know, getting into like, well, exactly how should he prepare, Like if he's got an uncomfortable situation with a you know, with a with a wedge shot, for example, he's probably better off hitting a harder shot, even if it spins to the front edge. Then you know, then sometimes trying to do a little bit too much for it. So really understanding the DNA of the players, it helps us a great deal. It's something I'd be very open to. However, my record of miss cut silver mid cups on the PGA Tour anyway would possibly suggest they shouldn't hire me as a county.
Speaker 2: The eight felt anyway.
Speaker 1: I coundied for Steve Elkington the week in New Orleans and when I'm still in college, the week before he won the his first Players Championship, we got paired with Scott Hoak and chip Beck. Scott Hoak lifted out a fifty footer on the first hole and threw the putter and was complaining and complained for the entire eighteen holes. And on Friday chip Beck missed the four footer to make the cut and said to us, Caddy, you just got to love having a chance to make the cut out here. So that was the gauntlet of Scott hawk mentality and chip Beck mentality. JP. Let's talk about the buttter. I mean sometimes you'll pick up Harris English pudder and the grip. There are putters at top golf that have better grips than than the putter he's it's a putter he's had. Did I see that since twenty and twelve?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's been a few picked up on eBay.
Speaker 3: You know, he's got a he's find a way that he's find a way to grab a few more of them. But yet this he calls it, it's the ping ho hum.
Speaker 2: It's it's kind of there was a there was one one after.
Speaker 3: It looks like a kind of like a motorcyclist, you know, the back of it. And it's just something I think he's he's just got so used to. Yeah, he's not a player that likes to change in awful lot of things. He still plays with the titles PROB one, seventeen ball.
Speaker 2: He's you know, he's been a he's been a ping guy all his life.
Speaker 3: He he doesn't he doesn't like an awful lot of flux. You you almost need. You know, I took his three wood out of his bag a month or two ago, and I'm looking at it and I'm thinking this thing is about I mean, this thing's old and it's about to go. And you know, he really, you know, he needs time to get into things. And uh, you know, I think that some somewhat of a great strength. You know, you and I have been great friends with Darren Clark over the years, and Clarky told me a story. At one time he won the English Open and during the tournament he played with three sets of irons.
Speaker 1: For Clarky and about nine thousand swing pots and oh yeah, and he drove four different cars to the tournament. JP, how much do you think Sea Island helps these guys? I mean, Brian Harmon, you you live and work at Sea Island. There is a crew of players there. A lot of these guys grew up together. A lot of these guys played college golf together. A lot of you guys went you know, cashmeer Key, you know, Harry, Brian Harmon all went to Georgia. That fraternity of players at Sea Island. What do you think helps them about that?
Speaker 3: I think there's a number of things. I think the island is still very it's still a very comfortable place. It's it's a place where those guys can go and they can, you know, they can spend some time out doors, they can spend some time on the water, they can go to the local restaurants. People are kind of just used to it all, so it's a very kind of chilled out atmosphere. I think when they get on the island they really feel like they can kind of decompress an awful lot. There's not an awful lot of golf feed type pressure on them. When you combine that with the the you know, the facilities and the golf courses that we have at Sea Island, with the Seaside Golf Course, which is tends to be windy, has a lawful lot of different little nuanced golf shots. The Plantation Course would really good for wedge play and work, the Retreat Court course across the street which is a really nice parkland course where it's a little bit less played. We go over there and spend a lot of time doing a lot of our prep work. Ocean Forest which is a fantastic golf courses hosted the Walker Cup recently been redone and it's just an unbelievable condition. And the Performance Center linking in with that, where we can you know, we can put them on gears, we can get them on swing cat we need to.
Speaker 2: We've got the studios.
Speaker 3: We've got an unbelievable putting studio there in a gym, you know, and they've got we've got a staff of people like me who who have different levels of experience and different levels of training to help these guys so from a golf perspective, it's like when they drive on the island, they can decompress and then when they decide that, yeah, I want to go and get a session with Rondy Myers, with Tom Hemmings and get my get my my fitness stuff back up and run and they drive a mile and a half and they can do that. And then you know, I'm a I'm around most of the time when i'm you know, when I'm home, and they can they.
Speaker 2: Can jump in a quick session with me. So it's a I think it's a it's.
Speaker 3: A relaxed performance atmosphere, maybe a little bit, probably quite unique in the United States, and I think a lot of those guys do benefit from it.
Speaker 1: Obviously, with the success you've had with the players you work with a major champion now and Brian Harmon, you're working and you're being sought after JP by a lot of young players. But these two just high speed South Africans that you're working with whose names you can probably pronounce better than I can.
Speaker 2: I'll do the best.
Speaker 1: I mean, these boys look like they can hit it. And your boy had a chance to win on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Aldrich Potchkiter, who is a you know, he's an unbelievable young man. I'll try and get this right. They moved down to Australia when he was a teenager. He was playing yeah, and he he did a little bit of wrestling and within like eight or twelve months he was on the Australian national wrestling team. He's an incredible strong fellow with a really strong bass and very very gifted player.
Speaker 2: You know, I'll be ben in your ear a few times. He reminds me a little bit of DJ. Very very strong grip, strong club face all the way through.
Speaker 3: He is that kind of that that pivot that you know, kind of beats the face all the time, likes to fade it hits it about three point fifty in the air. He's twenty years old and you know he recently a chance to win down in Sun City. He played really really good in Australia. I'm trying to help he and his family navigate the toil of this travel that you know, people are kind of think that they're getting used to. It's it's a brutal type of thing to try and be coming up and done from South Africa. Crystal Lamprecht again, a player with a great pedigree, both amateur champions who played in the Masters and played in that and and major championships, and.
Speaker 1: He went to Georgia Tech and very very unique golf swing. I got to watch him a couple of years ago warming up at the Open Championship and it was two years ago, and he played really really well on the first day, and then when the conditions got you know, a little bit dicey. I was just like, you know, when you watch the move that he's got JP, when you're looking at these guys, now, I mean these they're high speed guys, right, I mean there aren't There aren't ten people in the game that hit it the way these guys do speed wise. But as you know, speed is great, but speed can also really really it hurts you, and it's navigating with so much speed. How to actually harness that and play the game?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean Aldric, you know, give you a couple of examples within that. You know, Aldric's ability to hit any sort of soft web shot with the amount of lean and the amount of the strong strength of his grip and things like that is challenging for him. So we've given him some ways to navigate that. And then whenever I speak to his caddy and nice Australian lad rants, you know he works in meters. I say, well, how far is he had an eight iron? He goes, oh, like one hundred and seventy meters, that's one hundred and eighty seven yards. Well, how far is he had a seven iron? He it's like one one eighty nine meters like two's So I say, well, like, what do you guys do from like one ninety five? Like so all of a sudden, you've got a twenty yard gap between clubs.
Speaker 1: So it's crazy.
Speaker 2: So with the speed that.
Speaker 3: They have, they've also got to recognize that they have to hit their numbers, especially you know, at the level of golf that we're talking about now on the PGA Tour and major championships, et cetera. Like you you can't really be five and six yards off an awful lot, you know, Christo's movement, with the amount of vertical that he's that he's had, I see that as something that we've softened a lot through improving his posture. I wanted to look at that from a perspective of making his driving more consistent and taking some pressure off his lower back and particularly his left knee, and I think that although he hasn't he hasn't complained about those things, but I would imagine that were he to continue to swing it the way he did when you watched him in Liverpool, he probably would have would have struggled a little bit with with some things there. So I'm you know, I take that responsibility very seriously. It's a long path. We've got short, medium and long term things that we're trying to do. I'm delighted with Aldrich's progress. Christo had a chance to win down in the Bahamas, and you know those two guys, I have to keep reminding myself and you'll keep remind me too, that when they're as good as they are, they need to be winning golf tournaments and putting themselves in positions. So doing what they did the last couple of weeks should be what they're what they're about.
Speaker 1: Lastly, JP, I had him on the podcast right at the end of last year. Ray Han Thomas, our boy from Dubai making his way in professional golf now got off to a really good start, top tended in the Bahamas. To see JP, we do this, We get a lot of accolades for some of the superstars we get to work with, but you and I have a soft spot for Ray. He was starting in our junior program when he was nine years old. I mean, it's just so damn cool to see all the stuff. I mean, you and I don't work with him anymore. He's been doing great work with Dana Dlquiz, But Ray's part of the family. It's just so cool to watch him play.
Speaker 3: And now I think the lovely the lovely thing about Ray is I think he will always be part of the family. Every time, yeah, every time he makes a verdie, I get three or four texts from Dubai with people his dad and Nick, Tara and all those sorts of guys. And you know, I texted with him. Shooting sixty five in the last day there and the Bahamas to finish fourth was was fantastic. Dana and I have talked a lot. He's, you know, one of the best guys out here, and I'm just so I'm thrilled that Ray has found his feet, you know, after a really tough time really for two or three years, it could have gone a different direction for him. But as you and I saw with him. Load of the ground you used to call him. You know, he turned up and he just he kept playing, He kept working, and he kept working, and he would, you know, he would. He would always exhibit the greatest attitude and the greatest ability to be a wonderful human being when when things were going well and when things were going badly. And I think, I like you love the fact that he's part of the family, and I'm just delighted to see him playing good Because I got to.
Speaker 1: Be honest with you those first two years at Oklahoma State. If you would have told me after the start that he had that OSU and the struggles that he had the driver of City got JP. If you told me he was finishing top five on a corn ferry event after graduating in twenty twenty five, I got to be honest with you. I would go, Wow, that's a big turnaround, because he was lost, Like he got to college and was a deer in the headlights and the way that he has and in talking to him, and when he was on the pod, he was doing all the right stuff that you were trying to do to get better. He was going, Okay, I'm going to practice more. I'm going to spend more time on the range. I'm going to spend more time on that technique. And he went down that rabbit hole JP of in an effort to try and get better. He got worse. And I think it is a testament to him as a person as much as it is to him as a player that he fought through that and he has found his own way to get to where he is today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and maybe that's one of the things that he had to do. He had to find his own way, and that's you know, that's part of the journey that they have and part of what he's done I think has been so impressive is that whilst he's he's looked in different cobby holes for different information. Everybody who's who's worked with him, from Danny Lucas to yourself to Dana, we all share an affinity for him, and we all, you know, we all believe in him, and we all know that this is the start of it and an interesting journey.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: We've got to remember when he was sixteen years old at the Dubai Creek Tournament, he made ten verdies in a row. I think it was it, shot sixty two in a professional event. So the pedigree was always there with Ray and to be able to maintain that attitude and be able to maintain that positivity when things, frankly were going sideways, and for him to come out the other side, I think he's going to find a great deal of strength in that.
Speaker 2: There's there's a there's a strength in that that could lead him to great things in the future.
Speaker 1: I couldn't agree more Rider Cup for Harry. I mean, that's got to be the goal this year, right, keep playing good and get some get it, get in this contention in some of these majors, and and have a good chance to be on that writer. I mean, I know that there are a lot of guys on the team that would like him on that team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think that'd be a great goal for him. You know, it was it was lovely to sit down yesterday though he came down with this stomach fluid that's been going around the West coast, so we didn't see him yesterday, but to sit down and go through his schedule and start to plan the way that that would look. You know, he's got the opportunity to go back to Tory Pines in two weeks and playing the Genesis, which is going to be pretty cool for him. As we've talked about, he loves difficult golf courses. With being in all of the majors, now I kind of automatically, so we'll, you know, we'll keep chipping away. I think it's it's a great way to start the season based on that ability for him to go all right, I did all this good training work through December and into January.
Speaker 2: I flicked the switch with my mentality and saw how that was.
Speaker 3: I was able to transition that into into winning a golf tournament. If he can continue that type of that blend of those two mentalities, then.
Speaker 2: Who knows what he could do.
Speaker 1: Well, you're doing a great job. Keep keep getting the better, and we will catch up soon. Thanks to Age Justin Parson on The Son of a Book's podcast rate Review. Subscribe wherever you get your podcasts. We will see you next week.