Speaker 1: Mother Knows Death Presents External Exams with Nicole and Jimmy.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, Welcome The Mother Knows Death. Today is our one hundredth episode, and to celebrate, we are having a special episode with the host of Body Bags Podcasts, Joseph Scott Morgan. You may know Joseph from his frequent appearances on Crime Stories with Nancy Grace, Court TV and other major news outlets, or as the author of Blood Beneath My Feet, The Journey of a Southern Death Investigator. Joseph holds a Master of Forensic Science degree from National University and is a Board Certified Fellow of the American Board of Medical Legal Death Investigators. Currently, he's an Associate Professor of Applied Forensics at Jacksonville State University in Alabama. Joseph started working in forensics in the eighties, and throughout his career he's been involved in thousands of medical legal death investigations and autopsies. Please welcome Joseph Scott Morgan to Mother Knows Death. Hi, Joseph, it's so exciting to have you here today.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me. It's truly I would have appear on a lot of podcasts and chat with people I feel like I'm talking with a colleague right now, and so that's really cool for me. A different kind of colleague, but a colleague just the same. It's an honor to be with you and to chat with you and your audience.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: I think it's I'm so excited to speak with you because there's not really many of us that do autopsies anymore. So when you get to meet someone that does the same thing that you do or has done or whatever you're doing right now, that it's so exciting that you get to kind of talk shop because there's just a limited amount of people that actually do it. Maybe we should talk about a little why autops aren't as common as they used to be.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you're from my little slice of the pie, just from my perspective of what I observe, because I know I'm a college professor now and I have kids that I know you've had this happen for you. It's I've had kids that you know. They come to me and they beg and they plead, Professor Morgan, can you please take us to an autopsy? Can we go see an autopsy? And when I was their age and was getting started in the field. You know, there were any number of places you could go. Corners, offices many times would welcome you in these offices, and even hospitals. But now one word lawyers. That's what I think it comes down to. I think it comes down to liability, and it's it's tough to get people in the door. I don't know that hospitals in particular are doing as many autopsies as they used to. Hospital pathologists always always kind of had a reputation that they would spend They would prefer to spend more time in front of a scope than being down and doing you know, the actual gross dissection of you know, the remains in total and you know, and my my career as a death investigator kind of leached over into that area because I would go around to private hospitals and the pathology groups and I'd say, look, you know, I'm looking to pick up some extra change. If you guys want me to go in and do this autopsy for you and I can report what I see, you know, cutting all the tissues, you know, do everything for you, organ weights dimensionally, you know, do everything for you. If I see anything, I'll call you. And they would prefer that I didn't call them, and so it was a great It was a great opportunity for me to sit at their feet and learn, because it's always a learning opportunity.
Speaker 4: It's kind of nice when.
Speaker 2: They don't call you, right because then you really get time alone with the body to look at things. And that's how I feel like. I would say, if I see anything different, I'll call you. But that gave me time to really see what was normal anatomy and what was you know, looking crazy without someone else down your neck, breathing down your neck, you.
Speaker 3: Know yeah, and you feel like you've got uh, you know that you're the you're the apprenticed and and they're the master, you know uh, And they're standing over you, hovering about you know, good and well they don't want to be there. I still have yet to come across a clinical pathologists that just she whiz. I wish it could do an autopsy today the show.
Speaker 2: I know a couple that really yes, and they're.
Speaker 3: The best, and you've got a much broader scope than I do. So and I'm comparing them to forensic pathologist.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, because the pathology residents that I used to teach, the only ones that were really interested in doing the actual autopsies were the ones that ended up going into forensics.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and you know there's certainly no limit on those. Isn't it interesting? You know pathology from a physician standpoint, I think is I say this, uh frequently, it's like the only the only medical training that one can go through. And the more training you get, the less money. And so if you're going to become a forensic pathologist, yeah, you're going to start out as a government employee. That's that's the way that happens. And you can develop a private consultancy and do very well, but that has its hazards along the way. I can discuss that, you know, for you know, for people that are curious because you know, there's I have people that reach out to me because I cover all true crime stuff and they know my background. They're like, families, can you recommend a forensic pathologist to me? The problem with that is, yeah, I can recommend them, but as we say, down here in the South, there there's rare hen's teeth. You don't you can't, you can't find them very frequently. He probably find and I'm talking about a board certified forensic pathologist not somebody that is a pathologist that claims they practice forensics. Gulf of difference, it'd be easier to find a neurosurgeon in most places.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people don't really, They're like the most highly specialized doctors, right. People just don't realize that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah they are. And they've left the clinical, the traditional clinical world behind. I mean we in forensics, we have our own clinical you know, dynamic. Obviously we're examining bodies, were making diagnosies, uh, and we're assessing you know, laps that come in. Lord knows, histology is a big part of what we do. Uh, and obviously talks uh and then just stand their panels, you know, with everything you know that walks through the door, well rolls for the because we're I've never been a big fan of of partial autopsies. I'm of the opinion, once you break out the cold steel, everybody should go through because you're you're you're running too much of a risk by only doing a partial autopsy. There was a whole group of people for a long time I remember that you could have, for instance, a self inflicted gunshot, one with suicide case, and they bury bodies with bullets in the head. I've never been a fan of that at all, and I've seen that happen over and over and over again, and a lot of times it's I think that it's because of expediency, but you know, it's those cases that you're going to wind up giving a deposition on them because somebody's going to get in a twist over it, or new evidence will be being covered in in the future. And you know in forensics, if you don't do it out of the gate, that body is going to wind up in one or two places, either bare married and vaulted and having been embombed in most cases, or cremated. And so now you're you're looking for for evidence in a case. And a great example I think that I covered for years now has been the Tammy Davell case out of Idaho, where you know, she presented early in the morning, her husband found her, found her dead on the floor. She had some kind of frothy cone that her children actually came to the house, or adult children, and UH visualized it was issuing forth from her nose and her mouth. And most of the time, you know, we're only going to see that. You know, if we have we see it a lot in drug odes, particularly was opiates, and you see it with his six illed us and of course he was like found guilty in her case in addition to two children, they killed her husband that is. But here's the thing. The corner rolled out to the scene and I made the determination then that she was not going to have an autopsy. And this is a forty nine year old woman that famously had been training for a marathon. It's not like she's in she's stabilitate, you know, like God called and suddenly she's gone. And you really run the risk if you're the medical legal authority and you decide not to do the autopsy. And I don't have much patience with people saying that the family didn't want it. It's when you're in a clinical environment. And at least this is my assessment. Families will come, I think, to the clinical environment that is a hospital environment where there's a known natural, you know, pathology that's going on, and they will say we want an autopsy. Most time, they're going to have to pay for it, unless there's some kind of overriding interest the hospital has for either research or maybe you know, liability, They want to do it, and they'll compel the pathologists to do it. But in the medical legal world, we try as best we can. I promise we really do to be as compassionate with the families that we try to extend as much compassion as we can and take everything into consideration. But when you're faced with something that might wind up being very dark, very very dark, and you just have that gut feeling. I don't go on gut feelings. I'm a scientist for as at the time, but you just you get that feeling about a case. It's like, we really, we really need to do the autopsy on this case. Family's going to protest, well, you know, you go in and make your apologies because the authority of the corner of the medical examiner is generally going to trump any of the families wishes. Now they can retain an attorney and they can get an injunction, and we've had that happen for in those sorts of things. But I think that it's probably in the best nentwest certainly of the courts and the community, for the autopsy to be performed.
Speaker 2: You're making me think of a vintage case of Mary Joe Capacni. Does her name sound familiar to you? That Ted Kennedy chap equittickquit but when they pulled her out of the water, they just were like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she drowned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And and you know, and famously, that case, famously, that case, uh, for years and years has gone there have always been questions, and I'll go one even better, and Lord knows, I don't want to go down a conspiratory, conspiratorial rabbit hole. However, I extensively last year I covered in on my podcast. I spent time talking about the Kennedy assassination and arguably they had Yeah, I could safely say probably two of the biggest incompetents on the face of the planet that they turned that precious man's body over to after a homicide. He was a homicide victim. Doesn't matter that he was a president. There were no rules, no laws in place regarding the assassination investigations relative to the president until like sixty six. This happened in sixty three, So he's a homicide victim. That took place in Dallas County, and there was a forensic pathologist, doctor Rose, who had done all of his training up in Iowa, and he famously attempted to prevent them from removing the president's body from Parkland, and there's eyewitnessed this, eyewitnesses saying that they pushed him against the wall, put their hand on their weapon and said, his body's going with us, and he's he's like you know, and he was newly And here's the interesting intersection here. I love history. He was the first medical examiner they'd ever had. Texas does not have corners, and they don't take they have medical examiners. But did you know that the justice of the peace in Texas is the de facto corners. It's an interesting little law, and you'll find those all over the country. But my point is is that you had this man who was turned out to be a very highly esteemed forensic pathologist that saw gunshot ones regularly, and he was at their disposal and they put the president's body on that plane and flew him back to BETHOSDA, and he was under the care of two people that had never they were forensic, they were pathologists, not forensic, but had never done a forensic case between the two of them, and you're talking about obviously the biggest forensic case in I don't know. I guess you could argue us history because it's still impacting us today as we speak right now, and so his body has turned over to these people and did it in front of an audience. There's some estimates there were probably thirty people in the autopsy suite, little or no accountability of chain of evidence was not intact. You actually had FBI agents sitting there taking notes and they couldn't believe what they were seeing.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: And it's interesting, isn't it. Where it seems the more high profile the case gets, the more fingers get in the pot. And many times I believe that if you will just allow allow these experts to do their job to begin with, from Jump Street, there'll be a well many less headaches in the world, you know. And again I can't emphasize enough. We're still paying the price for this.
Speaker 2: I feel like that I say this often. We call it in the hospital the VIP treatment because when they come into the hospital, a person that's famous or high profile or anything, it just starts off with them getting a fake name and the mix ups and the just the special treatment. And you know, normally you just get your specimen thrown on a bag on the countertop, but now you're just someone brings it down to you, and it's getting handled specially it's going on the machine for histology faster than it normally would. And then this is when mistakes happen because you're not just letting people do the proper procedure. And it happens all the time. There's so much documentation of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and any times someone is allowed to isn't that interesting? You know? Even after death people jump on the line or cut the line. Yeah, and you start acting outside the norms, the acceptable norms of what your standard procedure is. Anytime you deviate from that, there's a price to be paid. And when it comes to the courts, it comes to the courts when you deviate from your normal sop, that's a real problem if you're trying to prosecute a case or And I don't care either way, you know, even though I'm a medical legal death investigator by trade and a forensic practitioner, I'm neither pro prosecution or pro defense. I want the answers. I want those black and white scientific answers and let everybody else sort it out at the end. I'm not about seeking justice, and there's enough people there on that train. I like my little space on my train, my little space on my train. We love to make scientific discovery and hand it over to everybody here. You can take a look, you can take a look, you can make your own assessment. But this is the judgment that we've made. And going back to Kennedy, one of the really interesting things I think that people might find fascinating about the Kennedy case is that when Bobby Kennedy was assassinated doctor Tom Magucci, who is arguably one of the most famous forensic pathologists, American forensic pathologists ever, and he was referred to as the coroner to the stars. You know, this kind of goes along with what you were saying, but you know, stars were not for him. You know, he had done Marilyn Monroe, he did John Belushi, he did Tate lot Bianca. He was physically the scene in those cases. But he also did the bombs, you know, he did the homeless people, the unknowns, all the serial victims that had come through during the sixties and into the seventies in the eighties. He he was no respector of persons in that sense. He viewed everybody the same. And when it came Tom in this one exception and This is a good exception. When Bobby Kennedy was assassinated I think it was the Ambassador Hotel. Doctor Magucci said, Okay, this is what we're going to do. First off, no one is going to be allowed into the autopsy. Was sweet unless I allow them in because he as you know, I field is so small, news travels fast, and back then it was even smaller. He only allowed the technicians, the photographer, and fell a forensic pathologist in that suite. And he personally invited one of the forensic pathologists, the guy that headed up the ballistic section for the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, which by the way, no longer exists and it's old construct. It's that's the meta. It was back then considered the medical examiner for the Armed Forces. They did a lot of the ballistic studies on cadavers and that sort of thing years and years ago. Anyway, this guy headed up that program. He's a forensic pathologist boarded. They invited him to fly out to LA and so Nogucci had witnessed everything and this is a real touched on moment in history, forensic history and forensicthology in particular. He was so impacted by what had happened to Kennedy. He was like, well, it wouldn't have happened on my watch, but by God that ever happens here, I'm gonna have eyes on this thing and it's going to be documented from stem to stern. And he did a great job of that. But guess what, there's still tons and tons of conspiracy theories that surround Bobby Kennedy's death. How much more so if you look at his brother, where you had two people that had no background in forensics doing those doing that autopsy. Now you've left the door open even wider.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what happens people. One thing, you give people doubt, and now you see it happening in modern day. Right now, even that you just don't trust anything because of the way things were handled.
Speaker 3: Right, you don't. You don't as far as you can throw it.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting that you we were talking earlier about how students can't observe autopsies anymore. It's it's very difficult when you think about back in the day, there was audiences watching these autopsies, and I think that now that's part of the reason, at least I've seen in the hospital because I've been in the hospital system now twenty five years around the autopsy, and I saw it when I first started that I was able to have, you know, if there was a student that was interested in being a nurse, they could come observe the autopsy, right. And I do think that that's important because you should really understand every aspect of life and death, if you're dealing with live patients or not. But I saw that to having med students all the time, and then at my most recent job, they just wouldn't even let medical students in to watch the autopsy. They were like, only essential personnel that needs to be there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a terrible state of affairs. I can't speak about your experience, but I can talk to you about mine. I don't have the same clinical academic experience that you have, having come through a pathology assistant program. My master's degree is in forensic science. And so I was a true real life deaner, you know, the old term that they would use for autopsy assistant, which I think is German roughly translates like a servant of the dead or something like that. And I was proudly a deaner because I learned from a lot of really talented old guys, guys that you know, I could tell you stories about them taking a striker saw in beveling, doing beveling on the skull cap and so they could make it perfectly lock and they would take and they could do it quickly because they had to deal with such a volume of cases. Guys that could use a handsaw to take a calvarium off where you know, it's hard, it is very hard task. Whether it would take it would take hours. But these old guys that were so uniquely trained, where if you had an agitating striker saw, it was a luxury for them, you know, the first can you imagine the first one they ever got. And I know this seems a bit out in the weeks.
Speaker 4: They still suck and break all the time.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, they do, they do. And you know it's it's that weld right at the axis right there that always fractured for me. And of course the blades are that's you know, you'll buy the body itself, the body of the saw itself, and that's that is it's kind of like buying razor blades. They'll almost give you the handle. It's the damn blades that cost so much over a period of time. But you know, I think back from my experience the autopsy suite, by far in my field is a medical legal death investigator, hands down, best classroom I've ever been in in my life. It's nothing, I mean, nothing compares to the experiences I had in the autopsy suite, and it dealt dealing with everything from just starting out as a scribe for the forensic pathologist and having I still have visions of all of those clipboards lined up, you know, on the table, and having five and six bodies laid out and ready for the pathologists to walk in and Buddy, when we're rolling, we're rolling, we're hitting and getting it. We're going. And some of these cases, some case might take us an hour and ten minutes from open to clothes. And then you might have some young person that has died of some mysterious circumstance where you think that it might be natural, but there might be you know, other issues. And then you might have I don't know, and this is not in common. You have somebody that is morbidly obese and they're shot multiple times with small caliber weapons and you have to track all of those rounds through the body and document that as you're doing it photographically. That case can take sometimes four or five hours, not to mention the X rays that come along with it. And so the reason I'm saying this is that everything everything that I did in the morgue, and I think I wound up doing close to seven thousand autopsies over the course of my career, everything I did in the morgue translated to the field. And the reason it translated to the field so well is that I was the eyes in the ears of the forensic pathologist, and I've had forgive my language. I'd had my assitude out enough that I knew what they wanted in the field, and that would translate to me clinically in my brain when when I was observing a body of a scene, whether it was a homicide, of suicide, undetermined, industrial laxity, it didn't matter. I knew my pathologist like the back of my hand, and I could say, Okay, for this particular pathologist, They're going to want this, this, and this, and gonna want to know why I didn't get it if it was not not obtained.
Speaker 2: So you're exactly like a PA, Yeah, I memstance, Yeah it is you know, and we you know, and so we have to do things with trace evidence that you guys probably don't do, and nail scrapings and nail clippings and doing rape kits and.
Speaker 3: You know, swaps for DNA, and I mean you name it, printing, printing the dead and then dealing I think one of the probably for me, you get used to it, but bodies in advanced states of decomposition because if you get past the grotesque nature of it, which eventually you do, there's so many other hidden, hidden, hidden secrets within those bodies because of decay and the obstacles that that presents for you if you're trying to do an assessment of the remains or what remains of the soft tissue that's there, because it's I hate this term because it's thrown around a lot, but it is nuanced. It's nuanced by the fact that are they in an early state of decomposition? Is it a moderate? Isn't advanced? Is it like super advance? Where you've got you've got sculptal remains that are visible, you know, with kind of a bit of soft tissue still left over stretched over you know, where your knee is going to be am I going to have to cut the jaws out of this person? Am I going to have to clip their fingertips off and shoot them with tissue builder in order to get the fingertips to swell up so I can get a print off of them. You know, all of these little things that you have to learn how to do, and you have to learn to do it on the fly because you move it such you move at such a rapid pace if you're at a big medical examiner's office, there's not time to kind of linger and think about it. You. Starting my career down in New Orleans, there was I love this by the way, the er nurses would and the er physicians in particular. I developed an affinity for them because I'd always go to the emergency room because I'd have so many traumatic cases gunshot wounds and motive a collapse. They got to know them a lot. And so we had faculty members there from LSU and Tulane Med and they had a theme and for a while they had it up on the wall and in one of the emergency areas and it said see one, do one, teach one, and so you've seen it, now to do it now. The next person up you have to teach it to them.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 3: Just imagine that, And that's really the only way you can deal with the volume you know that's coming in. It doesn't mean that just because you've seen a lot of cases that you're smarter than anybody else. Far from it, because there are people that work in rural areas that have seen things I can't even begin to imagine. But there's something to be said for volume. You know, you it's not a drips, it's steady parade of bodies coming in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you got a.
Speaker 2: Good representation of pathology and just it is interesting though when you're in different areas how you see different injuries that are more common in that particular part of the country. And then, like I was writing about a case recently of a town in Africa that sees a lot of people who get stabbed in the eye, and that's not something that really happens that often in America that you wouldn't see those wounds commonly, but in that particular gang, that's something they see more often.
Speaker 3: So Wow, it's cool, that's very interesting finding. Yeah, you don't see that a lot. I've had it with overkill before, with stabbings but it was a very impassioned kind of thing, like there was generally some kind of underlying sexual tone. I'm going to rip you the strid so nobody else will have you. But you're right, that's that type of event is very rare, you know, where you would have somebody attacked with a sharp instrument in the eyes.
Speaker 2: And one of the cool things that I love about autopsy is that it just like I'll do as many as I can for the rest of my life because I always will be able to see something different at some point. You just see even if it's just like a normal anatomic variation or something someone's got to your orders. And one time I just found a horseshoe kidney by accident. It was the greatest day of my life.
Speaker 3: I know my too, I had the same experience for a horseshoe kidney, and as a matter of fact, I wrote about it not too long ago, and a piece that I was working on and I was with my mentor who's passed on now got rest his soul, Bill Donovant. He's actually from Scranton, Pennsylvania, and transplanted down here in South to go to college and became probably arguably one of the best forensic scientists I'd ever known, and I found we were working on case and I came across the horseshe kidney and I've never seen it, you know. It was amazing to me. And I said, wow, checked us out and he was like, that's a horseshoe kidney. I said, never seen none. He says, well, go ahead and dissect it out, you know, and I'll grab a camera. And so I held it from my face like I had a big handlebar mustach and you know, that's that's typically you know, kind of how how we would you know, that was like a treat for us to do something like that, and you you know, the cool thing about it is you never know. And I don't know. Maybe I'm I'm I've always been and occupied the space in the world of the dead. But I'm also kind of sentimental, I think, which is a dangerous combination. And one of the ways I would look at it is that every opportunity I had to do an autopsy, I would think to myself, when it wasn't going fast and furious, I would think, you know what, this is really cool because I'm seeing something that no one else has ever seen, you know, we talked about going to the depths of the ocean, or going to space, or climbing the mountain or something like that. But literally, in an autopsy suite, you're doing an autopsy on somebody. You're opening the space up and it's being viewed. You're viewing the space for the first time. And that that's kind of an odd thing when you think about. It's a unique thing, you know. And then once you begin to do the examination, you're going to find these little anomalies, you know, like like the horse of kidney. And I got to tell you about a really cool case that one of the things that really stuck with me and will for until my final breath. I had I'd spent time in the Army Guard, and so I have an affinity for old soldiers. And when I started my career there was still a lot of war work two vets around, And I actually played golf with a War War two vet when I was like maybe twenty three twenty four. He only had one arm and he could play golf. Wow, he was an amazing golfer. He couldn't hit it any further than about one hundred and twenty yards, but his swing was so grooved with the one arm that he would always fit in the middle of the fairway. Neat Man lost his lost his arm in South Pacific and just you know, he didn't let anything bothering, you know. But I get a I was on duty as as an investigator with the Corner's office. I had split time. I worked as an investigator at night and I work in the morgue end of the day. And that's the way you did it back then, very tiresome. Couldn't do it now. I got a call from a nursing home, a nursing home descert not normally reportable to the Corner of Medical Examiner nursing homes and or back then they weren't in hospice cases. But they called me and it was like, yeah, hey, how are you guys doing. Where are you calling me? He said, yeah, we've got a death of a gentleman here. And he's literally been this would have been I think in eighty eight or eighty nine. And he said he has been under the care, constant care of a physician since nineteen forty six, like in a retirement home or in a nursing facility, and he just died. I was like okay, and said, well he sustained a gunshot wound. Well there's I was like, okay, I'm interested, what's the story. And you know, because with homicide, it's true, there is in a statute of limitations. It doesn't matter how far out it goes. And it turned out that this guy had fought as an eighteen year eighteen or nineteen year old at the Battle of the Bulge.
Speaker 5: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: So on that frozen ground in Western Europe Belgium, some probably equally young German soldier took his Mouser bolt action rifle, loaded it with I think it was a seven millimeter round. I think that's what they fired, I can't recall, and took aim and shot this young kid from New Orleans when he was eighteen or nineteen, and it was superior to the umbulcus and the round tore through his bowel and lodged immediately adjacent to I don't know his the I don't know if it had the upper lumbar region, I think, And the technology was at a point and they had such a volume of cases that they were able to stem the bleeding. They did a bower section on him, so I remember correctly. But he was essentially paralyzed from that level of his body down and had remained in that state. So this is a young man, the bloom of youth, as they say, never got to have a family, never got to have babies. And he had languished in this bed for loath these many years. And obviously, if you can live this long in the nursing facility, somebody's taking good care of you. And I remember having him on the table and you know, his tiny asty legs, he's withered in appearance, beautiful mane of gray hair that was combed back. You know, his dentition was intact. He'd been taken well, it didn't have bed sores, which is a rarity and to have been in that long. And we did X rays on him and you could see that round and it was deformed, and it had the bone had fused around it, and it was just this kind of ossified chunk that was adjacent to his final column.
Speaker 4: Yeah, imagine how much pain that would have caused.
Speaker 3: I know it, and I really often wonder how much pain did he experience throughout his life and just endure it like that. And I remember taking the saw and gently cutting around it and removing it, and it was one of those weird kind of experiences where I literally held history in my hand for a moment. This is this is a this is a battlefield artifact that I'm holding that some faceless kid on the other side fired this weapon at this other young kid who probably in his mind, I don't know, probably in his mind he didn't think he was going to get out of there, but he did get out of there, and then he's you know, he's thinking, you know, what kind of hope that I have in the future, It's going to happen for me? And here I held it, and I want you to know. The pathologist that I did the autopsy with, he ruled the case as a homicide. Interestingly, I was going.
Speaker 2: To ask you that because I had a case once that I had a guy who was a Vietnam vet that was shot. But I don't really think he died. He just he had cancer and stuff, you know, he had another cause of death. But when I called the EMMY and told them, I was like, I'm just calling you to report this. You take it if you want. I'm just and they're like, we don't care. We like, we don't need that. But but your case is a little bit different because his death was ultimately caused by consequences of that initial gunshot wound.
Speaker 4: So it's really interesting.
Speaker 3: It was fascinating to me, and I'll never forget it when he signed when he primary cause of death was we'll see, I think it was multi system failure secondary to gunshot wound from the distant past. Part three was gunfire by unknown enemy combatants and that was so weird. It was so weird, and they ruled it as a homicide and you know, just being there, you know, for that and actually being the one to retrieve that as the old pathologists used to refer to it, retrieved that missile. That's the way they refer to projectile back then, to retrieve that missile. And I remember we turned it over to the State Crime Lab and they retained it, and it was just it was just part of history. And that just goes to the point you never know what you're going to see. And back to our earlier thesis here, the idea that people are not having the opportunity to come into our environment and the world that that you currently inhabit and that I inhabit because it's like gold to me. I mean it's like gold being found on the ground. It's so sad. I've done autopsies. I remember down in years and years ago, I used to assist with the State Medical Examiner in Georgia. I was assigned to the State Medical Examiner there, and I'd have to travel a little bit and i would go about sixty miles south to Macon, Georgia, which is home of Mercer Medical School. And I'd only do weekends. But it was a busy shop because you would you know, you might have after a Friday night and cases come in from the surrounding area, from the other counties. We might be looking at sixteen cases in one day, and we would literally have medical students from Mercer Medical College or medical school outside the door waiting for us at six o'clock just to get in because they didn't get see enough thought, they didn't get see enough gross anatomy. They didn't have enough bodies back then to go around. That's terrifying.
Speaker 2: Wait, I'm going to tell you the most outrageous thing right now. So I went and did an autopsy last summer, and there was a medical student there and he was in his fourth year, like almost getting ready to get a residency. He was telling me where he was applying and stuff. He looks white as a ghost as soon as I make the incision right, and I'm just like, okay, dude, you're going to pass out.
Speaker 4: Like we good.
Speaker 2: And he told me that he did not see an autopsy or do gross anatomy.
Speaker 4: Because of COVID.
Speaker 3: Like what, How's that? Even?
Speaker 4: I don't know. I just I was mind blown.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting. I was. I had like this kind of weird moment. Actually, it was just yesterday. I was I'm teaching actually a section I teach a section called a class that I created years ago called Medical Legal Debt Investigation, and I teach you at Jacksonville State in our forensics program. And I was trying to educate my class. These are all undergraduates on lines of languor and you know, and I try to tell them from the perspective of like a contour map, you know, because these kids, most of these kids have never had excuse me, have never had human anatomy, certainly not at the level even at the upper levels of undergraduate. And there's a reason why certain incisions are made in the body. And because if you go essentially against these contours, almost like going against the grain. You'll get these nasty, nasty injuries, surgical injuries as a result. And I was telling them about the position of an app and decty with the primary side the McBurney incision, and how it kind of runs in this weird diagonal way. And I was twenty years ago. I would have had students in the class looking at me going, yeah, I've had an app indectomy. Well, now all the app anddctomies are done laparoscopically, so you lose. What I'm saying is we're advancing now to the point where I've heard of medical schools that we're going to go all digital with their anatomical studies. I'm thinking, this is this is utter madness that you would do this, because the tactile when you stick your hands into that world, the tactile nature of that you're learning through your fingertips. I don't care how much AI there is or where You'll never learn like this. You know, when you slip on the surgical gloves and you're holding things and you feel that weight, you feel the weight of a lung that has pneumonia, you know, and are you you hold somebody's heart with cardiomeg or you've got a fatty liver or cirrhosis and you feel those nodules, or you run your hand over the plural surface of the lungs and you've got the tiny blebs as a result of in physima or whatever it is. There's something, there's something about that that translates to the brain, and it's going to be laws. It's going to be lost. I think in this world that we're heading into with AI, I know.
Speaker 2: Really it really is a shame and it scares me to think that these people are actually going to be responsible for people's lives, because it really is the only way. And I saw the transition when I was working in surgical pathology because I was the lead PA and I was in charge of training the residence, and one of my biggest things was I wanted all of the residents to do autopsy rotation first because I was like, they'll see how all the bodies are inside or all the organs right inside, because it's just different than gross anatomy, you know, It's just it's different when it's fresh. And then because what happens was they would come into surgical pathology and they would get something called a Whipple specimen, which is a pancreas with the piece of the duodenum attached, and they wouldn't even know how it's sat in the body because you just get this organ with a giant tumor in it that's like plopped on a cutting board in front of you, and it's hard to make the of how it's sat in the body, which way is antier, which ways post here, things like that, So I definitely think that that is something that all medical students should be heavily involved in for sure.
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by the gross Room.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 2: We talk about so many different cases in the grossroom and have all different examples of things. So even if a specific story we're talking about on mother nos Death isn't in the gross room, there's always a case in there that involves one of these things, like Raby's for example. I have a case of that in there, and you just can go on the search bar and search anything that you're interested in and find a case that has to do with it, and it's just really it's really awesome. We have lots of posts with videos, photos, thousands of them on there, so you could really see anything that you want to see and have me explain what's going on in it. And the Grossroom's on sale right now, and we don't put it on sale too often, and it's only twenty.
Speaker 4: Dollars for a whole entire year of gross.
Speaker 5: So you can visit the Grossroom dot com for more info and to sign up, and the website will be on sale until October sixteenth.
Speaker 3: There's a reason it's grotesque again, as this is. There's a reason that people would risk prison relative to grave robbing. You know, our predecessors understood the value of having as fresh as specimens as they could. Great story. If somebody gets a chance to check this out, and I can't remember, I can tell you where it happened, but this is this would be right up your alley. There was a case a few years ago that took place actually in Georgia, and it was then the Medical College of Georgia, which is a pretty highly esteemed one of the oldest medical colleges medical schools in the US, and there were this is in the ante bellum South, and so there were these two freemen. These are African Americans that are not slaves, that made their living from robbing graves for the medical school. Well, there are no there were no even crappy fluorescent lights back then. You know, they did everything by whale lamps and those sorts of things. Candles. These guys would be paid right to go out dig up the fresh dead, bring them into medical students would pay them. Some people think that it was actually some of the instructors that were paying these guys to rob the graves because it was kind of a traditional thing that had gone on. They'd have to do it in the dark of the night because it was illegal, you know, you were not It was considered to be very inappropriate to do those back then. I think people are surprised at that. Anyway, after the students were through with bodies and after they had completely dissected them, they would take them and push them off into an aushwary that was underneath the buildings. So they're doing renovations on this building in the late eighties or early nineties, and there's there have been entire papers written about this event. They found human remains, and remains should be emphasized here for the plural nature of that war, because they got into there and there were co mingled sculptal remains that were just piled under there.
Speaker 4: And this was in Georgia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was Georgia Medical College. I urge anybody, please don't believe what I'm saying, go and look it up. And I think I can't remember the lady's name. She's pretty well known back then, pretty well known. Forensic anthropologists had to go in and try to try to make sense of what was going on, because you know, we get will handle mass graves, particularly my friends that are overseas. I've made the acquaintances aside. I just recently took a trip to Great Britain and I made the acquaintance of a lave's forensic archaeologist and she's doing exhamations in Spain that are in uh part of the research they're doing on Spanish civil wars. And they had mass killings back then with big open graves that were dumping bodies in and she's exhuming those remains right now. Some nightmare because everything's stratified and commingled. They've belt they've it's in a graveyard, so they had buried newer bodies on top of these bodies. So they have to remove those bodies and then go down to substrata. So anyway, I'm sorry I digress, but that story is fat. It was always fascinating to me the links that people would go to because you know, they understood that if they were going to be treating people that they needed they they needed to be able to understand form and function and all the clinical stuff is great, you know where you're making diagnoses of the living, but if you don't understand our status as the dead first, it's it's a much more difficult proposition you had before you being a future clinician.
Speaker 2: I think, did you hear about this recent case where a surgeon took the wrong organ out of someone?
Speaker 3: It just no, I've heard, I've heard, I've heard of other cases. I don't, uh, and I can't remember how recently the most recent one. So no, i'd have to say, no.
Speaker 2: Oh, this guy took out someone's liver instead of their spleen, didn't realize it at the time of surgery, send it to surgical pathology, labeled spleen, and in surgical pathology they were like, it's his liver and that's why he's dead. How could it It's so outrageous.
Speaker 3: How could a surgeon do that?
Speaker 2: I mean he said it migrated to the other side of the body. And I don't know, I just I can't It happened in Florida. It was a couple of months ago. I'll send you.
Speaker 3: Is this a potential Florida man story? I don't know, that's what that's what this sounds like. Everything's different in Florida. Wow, how much more so? I thought? I really thought you were going to say he took out the wrong kidney. No, you know, that's fly. I mean, I can see that happening, you know, but the liver and it was supposed to be a splentactomy. Yes, that's outrageous. Absolutely it is.
Speaker 2: And the fact that he's trying to say, oh, it migrated, and it's like, yeah, of course if you have hippatomegla or splinting OMEGLEI, they get bigger and they move to the site, but the attachment points are on completely opposite sides.
Speaker 4: Of the body.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I don't understand how one goes about doing. And it was not just part of the liver, it was the entire liver.
Speaker 4: The entire liver.
Speaker 3: Holy, I beg you please if you have any links relative to that. I had got to read this. Oh yeah, I wrote up there, and I have to know the status of this man. I would assume that the patient is, yeah.
Speaker 4: He's daddy bled out.
Speaker 3: And that he did. And the fact that you would if you're hang on, I'm trying to do the calculus here. If you're so, if you're going to remove a liver there, unless you're doing it for harvestation and the person is, you know, essentially brain dead, there should be another liver standing by that you're going to uplook this person in the fact, and how I don't see how things could have gone that bad? Amazing. Yeah, I've got to read this. I can't wait for.
Speaker 2: I just don't understand, like, when you remove the spleen, you're only cutting it off of a spleen islanic artery in vain, right, It's just like a little clippy. You could kind of take it out with your hand, honestly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't. You can blunt lead us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Like a.
Speaker 2: Liver is multiple attachments portal system.
Speaker 3: It is. And I spent many hours, particularly with rather rotund alcoholics that had cirrhosis fatty liver and would have these livers that were just absolutely gigantic probably just trying to remember the largest liver I've ever taken out. Numbers don't come to mind right now, but it was like the size of the Volkswagen Bus, you know. I mean, it was so big. But I spent a lot of time wrestling with the dead over their livers because it's oddly positioned, and as you said, there are multiple attachments that are there that have to be cut through. It's a very robust organ, and so when you get in there and you're trying to trim this out and dissect it out so that you can get it up onto the board intact without it being ripped, which is something I always tried to avoid doing, try to keep the capsule intact. It's a daunting task many times, particularly if you're tired and you've done a lot of cases and this is, you know, the fifth or the sixth one that you get to. I always think that it's better to start off with the largest person first, if possible. Everything else seems everything seems a bit easier after that. But yeah, yeah, liver is, by far from me, probably the most difficult organ to get out of the body. I have a long It took me a long time also, I would always do it by feel removal of the adrenals. That took a while to locate them, but I got I got pretty good at it towards the end where I could do I didn't have to like actualize it. I could just feel and trim it out, put it on the board. Then next go to the kidney, the adjacent kidney, so forth and so on. I've been in environments before where you know, we were doing on block dissections where you know, we refer to it as tongue to nuts, you know in the you know, forgive me again, that's very crass, but you know, starting dissecting out the tongue and just shaving right down the spinal column all the way down, cut away the diaphragm, all the way down to the rectum, remove it. Males, you know, you're you're taking out the testicles. And I think probably the quickest one of those I've ever done was right about two minutes.
Speaker 2: Oh. I believe it's for the person dissecting the organs off of that block.
Speaker 4: That you hand them with.
Speaker 3: Some doctors that you work with preferred to be on block, and generally that's not it's not desirable and forensics generally it's an organ by organ dissection. The Roguetansky thing is like I always felt like it was more clinical. There are certain circumstances where they do want it, and lots of times it has to do with not gunshot wounds, but accidents, particularly impacts, posterior impacts, blunt for strawm of the rear. They want to see. They want to see little focal areas of hemorrhage in their natural anatomical orientation and stuff that that cannot appreciate. If you're doing an organ by organ, they won't see it posterially. So you know, that was that was daunting. I think probably the most daunting thing that I ever had to do in the more is try to remove you know, to take out the brain and spinal cord intact.
Speaker 4: Oh I know from the back.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's it's hours and hours and hours tedious, the most tedious cases by farther that we would do. And you have to do these on a regular basis or in custody desks, and a lot of people don't realize this, but even if it's someone that dies in police custody of a heart attack, you're going to get what we used for too, is a prison autopsy, and a prison autopsy is first off, there's no area of the body that is not touched by scalpel blade. So like, for instance, the back is completely dissected out, completely opened, you take photographs exterior. Then after you open the back, you're taking pictures, detailed pictures of all the musculature all the way up to the occyput. You know, we would just kind of peel back this way. And then the reason is we'd cut down the buttocks, down the poster, your legs, open those up, the calves, the soles of the feet, if you can imagine this, and people say, my god, this is horrible. Why would you do that, Well, they're in custody, and so one of the things that you have to do with in custody deaths is you're checking for any focal areas of hemorrhage where they could have been abused. And again it goes back to the adage, if you don't get it right, then you'll never get it. And so we would do palms of the hands, backs of the hands, up and down the arms. Funeral homes hated it because it was an extra level they had to go to if they if if the body was going to be viewable. A lot of hats involved wearing hats and you know, trying to make the body presentable after we did it. But that standard I've done. I've assisted in autopsies of three execution victims. I did one of the last electric electrocutions in Georgia I think when I was assigned to the GBI, and two of the early lethal injection cases. And here's an interesting little bit of trivia because a lot of people will look at that and they'll say, well, why do you do an autopsy on that? Well, it's a homicide, and people, that's not a homicide. What else would you call it? There's only five manners of death. It's literally the death of someone but the hand of another. And so the corner can make the decision as to whether or not they want an autopsy. But is the public is going to be best served if all of these autopsies are done to completion where they are as thorough as they possibly can be. And isn't that interesting, you know, because you've got somebody who's been sitting on death row. Everything they do is monitored, everything they do is watched. You have detailed information about their medical history, if anything they're suffering from. But yet the state still requires that there'll be an autopsy performed. I had a chance for one to go and observe the execution. But you know, I got to.
Speaker 4: Tell you, man, you draw the line there.
Speaker 3: Well, my brain is so loaded with from all of those years of dealing with death, and I never as a practitioner working in two really big areas, you never get to say no to death very often. If you're on duty, you have to do its bidding, you know, because death never stops that. There were actually two invitations I had because the state medical Examiner would be present for the execution. It's something I just didn't want to load my brain up with. I didn't I didn't need to go in there and bear witness to it and be around. You know, you're around enough sadness. As a medical legal death investigator, I spent a lot of time. I think I've done close to two thousand in person death notifications over the course of my career, and it's soul crushing. The last one was just as bad as the first one that I did when I think I was twenty one years old. Never got easier, and so he you look at something like that, and and a lot of people out there would say, how would give youthing to be able to go see an execution? Be very careful what you wish for. There's just certain things that there's enough horror and ugliness in this world that you don't want to have to subject yourself to that one other thing. So it's just something I chose never to do. Now was there for the examination, And I think clinically you can kind of switch that, switch that off, but you almost feel like if you're there watching it, you almost feel like you're a party to it exactly, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, And it's just kind of a you know, and I know a lot of people get bloodlust going on, you know, they see these horrible cases in the news, and I'm chief among sinners because I cover them. And you say, well, if that was my relative, I'd throw the switch, or I push the needle or do this and do that, and that's all fine and good, But you know it wasn't my relative. You know, I don't, you know, I don't. I'm not invested in this. I'm not invested in this emotionally. I don't want to be invested in emotionally. I'm not invested in it clinically to watch the process because I know how it ends. I'll be glad to be there to document it, even though it's rather tedious. But it's one of those moments in Tom you know that I'm glad it's it's one of those turns in the road that I'm glad that you don't regret. Yeah, I didn't.
Speaker 2: I didn't go to I'm curious about this actually, So do you do document Obviously you do normal documentation of autopsy, but do they use that information for anything? For example, I'm of the of the mindset that a shooting squad is probably the most humane way to kill a person.
Speaker 3: Is Yeah, I thought that too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So, like when they see this pulmonary of demon seeing signs that a person was developing reaction to whatever lethal injection they were given, do they take that into consideration as far.
Speaker 3: As I would hope so. And I'm glad you mentioned that because I did an episode. We can get it wrong a couple I'll just say a couple of months back, we had I live here in Alabama. My university, Jacksonville State University, is here in Alabama. Love this place. The whole population of the state is smaller than the entire population of Atlanta, so we're sparsely populated here. I love. It is beautiful. I'm up in the Appalachian Mountains. Y'all didn't hear that. Don't come here.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I'm going to go buy a house there right now.
Speaker 3: It's so peaceful. But anyway, our state did the first nitrogen execution a couple of months ago, and it had only been used in veterinary medicine for youth in Asia. The only animal that I could find that it had been a six eccess with had were hogs. They did it with dogs, and dogs presented with market anxiety as a result of And I think that a lot of it had to do with being masked up because if you the contraption that they use, and I urge anybody to go look it's just like I tell my students, don't believe anything I say. To look it up for yourself. That's generally how you're going to learn. But the mask is that they utilize is like, well, your your husband, who by the way, is an absolute hero. You is firefighters, So they have to use those all encompassing face mask right, you know where they can take oxygen directly in it protects their face. That's the type of masks they're using on this dude. And and he's he is morbidly obese. As a matter of fact, they they had attempted it was either one or two lethal injections on him already. They couldn't hit a vein because he was so obese, and it didn't it didn't work well. It was allegedly a struggle because it's it's an oxygen I don't know if you can call it like an oxygen deprivant, but it's an oxygen replacement. It's not like halon with halon fire extinguishers, where it's you know, it's sucking all the oxygen out of the air and fire dies. It doesn't quite work like that, but it's oxygen replacement and you're replacement with nitrogen. And there have been a few, and I've worked these cases. If people in the audience are not familiar with what are referred to as final exit cases, there's a book that was written many years ago called Final Exit by a guy named Derek Humphrey. Not Freeze, but Humphrey. I think that's correct, and he had started out years ago. His wife had really aggressive bone cancer and she was as, you know, that disease is really insidious, and she was just you know, there's no position she could get in and not be miserable. And there's not enough drugs you can give someone to make them comfortable. It's a horrible way to dine. They decided a mutual agreement that he would make tea for her. He would make tea for her, and he used I think some kind of barbituate combination. I can't remember what it was, and she died and he witnessed it well. He went on from there and wrote a book about it called Final Exit. In Final Exit, he goes through in detailed information describing how you can go about peacefully and they don't call it suicide. They call it self deliverance. So the reason I tell you that story is that going back to the execution with nitrogen, one of the things that they would recommend, and for a while on YouTube there was actually there was a video that was up of him demonstrating this, utilizing a kid's helium tank like he would rent to blow up helium points and how to change the hardware out on it. Uh, you know, plastic back putting, using plastic bags. It was. It was horrible, I mean just absolutely horrible. And uh, this method of self deliverance, you would take on board drugs and then you know, use the gas as an adjunct and either way it's going to bring about your peaceful death. I worked a number of those over the years, and I didn't see I didn't see struggling with those like was described relative to the nitrogen execution. However, he was not given meds prior to it either. So he's placed in this so you know that he's going to have elevated pulse, blood pressure, is probably gonna be up through the roof, terrible anxiety, crushing chest pain, probably already as a result of that shallow breathing. And then you add the nitrogen into it. And I'm not saying that the guy didn't deserve to die, you know, it's capital punishments. Not my thing. But I have objections based on, you know, my Catholic beliefs. But I the state says he has to die, and this is the methodology. The problem is is that with this particular methodology, I didn't see any evidence that it had been tested other than on hogs, and that's a big leap to go free, to go from hogs to humans at that point in Tom and my understanding is I think that within the last month they've just done another one with nitrogen, and I haven't heard the outcomes on it yet.
Speaker 4: So interesting.
Speaker 2: We just talked about this on the podcast a few weeks ago, that there's these new nitrogen pods for countries that have it. The legal physician assistant so as I although I don't even think it's physician assistant. The person goes in and they push the button themselves and yeah, it's it sounds like a horrible death, like asphyxiate to death. Sounds terrible to me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these pods look like something out of the television series Westworld or something. You know. It's you know, kind of the sleep. It looks like a sleeping pod like you would see on some John Carpenter, you know, Alien movie where he lay down they put you into deep sleep. Right. Interestingly enough, this is about as deep as it can go. I think that the case, I think it was two or three weeks ago this up in the I've never been to Switzerland, always wanted to go, but the northernmost portion of Switzerland. There's like this little peninsula that kind of juts out into northern France and over in Germany. Anyway. That's this thing was out in the woods. They had set this pod up and this person goes out there and I don't even know what their diagnosis was there. I guess they had a thermal diagnoses. I don't even know if that's required anymore. But they went in and took their life, ended their life in this thing, and the authorities were investigating it. I think there was The thing was the way the Swiss had described I think they said it was, this is so crazy. It was not approved. It was it was not government approved, so it didn't have the stamp on it or whatever, and they got all that.
Speaker 2: Imagine if you got called to that scene some death investigator, how to go, Yeah, no.
Speaker 3: I don't know, you know. I mean, it's not like with final exit cases, which we and it wasn't just me and it's not just my too often these cases, trust me, they were everywhere all over the country. There was like a it was almost like a fad, you know, that that took hold for a period of time and it kind of ran parallel to the same time that could work in Yeah, was doing his thing. And interestingly, interestingly enough, the book itself this call Final Exit, but it was published by the Hemlock Society, which, of course Hemlock is the tea that was a Socrates drink where he was forced to take his own life, and is published by the Hemlock Society, which they are a society. I guess they're still in existence. I have no idea that was dedicated to this idea of self deliverance. So, yeah, the world of medical legal death investigation, you can get off into all of these interesting areas that and be exposed to things that most even cops never see, you know, because we're doing investigations that. Yeah, some of them run parallel. But cops are really only interested in homicides. That's the only thing that's prosecutable, so everything else, and we work homicides obviously we have to. We're interested in suicides and accidents and natural deaths, which I love working because it's so intellectually stimulating. I'd always learn something about digging into medical records or certainly undetermined us you know that are out there where you just have no raw or reason why this person died and so that would pop up on your radar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's why we started this podcast because I feel like there's this heavy there's this heavy field of true crime podcasts, and there's this whole other world of accidents and suicides and just other things surrounded around death that people don't really talk about that are actually I mean, accidents and natural death are more common than homicides for sure, and most people could relate to those more if you think about it, yeah.
Speaker 3: They can. And I'd say less than a lot of this is going to be geographically dependent, but probably right at about one percent of all of the desks the corners of medical examiners investigator homicides. Uh, most locations, suicides outpaced homicides two or three to one. So you spend a lot more time working suicides than you ever do homicides. And there's enough home. You know, if you watch the news, you think that there's people walking around with machetes, you know, cutting people's heads off all over the place, And yeah, there are really violent crimes that are out there, but you're seeing what the media chooses for you to see. You know, it's it's these really over and there's a lot of homicides that never make it through the news cycle. That's like one of my big problems with like the jan Benet case.
Speaker 2: That was driving me not storing COVID with the ticker that was on the news, because I'm just like, come on, like we had so many people die at the hospital every day, you just don't even think about it, you know what I mean, you don't.
Speaker 3: And that's the sad thing about it, and that, you know, going to those cases inarticular, I still waiting for a lot of the data, the post wartem data. My suspicion is that probably there were not a lot of those cases that were autopsied, and I'd really like to know. I'd like to see that data relative to those cases because it's certainly a unique time in human history, and I'm hoping that from the theology standpoint, it has been very well documented. But you know, there are a lot of things that never make it into the news, and one of the biggest examples, I think is Jean Benet. She fit a certain demographic. There's been over I don't know, I'm speaking out of school now, but at one time there were like twenty six books that have been written about the case. I'm sure there's probably more by now, not to mention any number of treatises that are out there floating around, but you know, I worked. I worked a lot of cases involving little girls that died and they never made it through two news cycles and those cases are unsolved. So it's all. You know, the media sets the table for what we're going to be exposed to and what we hear about that. Going back to true crime, that's one of the interesting things that we do now because we're unfettered I think by standard newspapers and certainly the nightly national news. I find cases for body bags, which I try to stick within the lane, you know, my lanes. I don't get off into relationship stuff. I'm not putting on makeup while I'm telling ghastly stories and all that sort of stuff. I'm not sitting around smoking cigars and drinking whiskey while I'm talking about it, though I do like a nice whiskey and a cigar.
Speaker 4: I was like, you probably could get away with that.
Speaker 3: I might could, But you know, I like to talk about those cases where my friends, I don't like to call them fans. I like friends because I view them as students too, because you know, I've been very blessed. I've got a great education. I got it all in my own hand. I mean, I didn't have anybody, but I do have an education. There are a lot of people that are sitting at home right now and they watch true crime television. They don't have same opportunities I've had. They haven't spent time in the morgue. They've never been to a death scene. They've never been around some of the brilliant people that I've been exposed to over the course of my career, and they never will because their pastor not going to cross. They're people that keep everything running and do the hard work that you know that I don't have to do because I'm a college professor. I really don't have a real job. I'm a college professor. I used to have a real job, but you know, so it's my opportunity. I despise it when people speak down to folks. I really hate that, and I've had that done to me. But you know, I had a few really kind people mentors along the way that were forensic pathologists that didn't treat me like I was there, you know, their servant, like a deanery. They treated me as though I were their student, and they wanted to invest in me. And so I try to pass that along to the general public and try to take these you know, pretty high end complex scientific constructs and try to break it down so that they understand it a little bit better. And and still, you know, we have a good tale along with it, and they come away understanding some of the stuff that can be very confusing in the news, you know, if you just kind of slip over the top of it, just kind of, you know, pay pay a passing glance to Perhaps these people have never been in an autopsy suite. Most of them never have. They don't know what the sounds and the smells are, like what it sounds like when you drop a scalpel on a tile floor and it rings off the cabinets and off the thing will steal fixtures. They don't know what that's like in there. I do. That sounds so resonates in my ear. They don't know what it's like to have flies coming off of a body and lighting on you. They don't know what screams of families are like. I know what that's like, And so I try to do my best to translate that those experiences and also the joy of it of actually discovering something scientifically among all the sorrow and among all the horror, that there's something that you can you know, that you can take away from it that people will be invested in. And so I'm very grateful for the opportunity I've had, you know, to do body bags. It's just every time I do an episode, I just I'm thrilled with it. It might not be everybody's cup of tea, but you know, I just I enjoy talking about the mechanisms of death and how you work a case like this in the field and then bringing it back to the morgue. And probably one of the coolest things that I've covered that will thrill one of my greatest joys is we did Julius Caesar's autopsy. It's the first documented autopsy that was ever conducted, and how his personal physician actually created a three D wax model to demonstrate to the crowd of what had been done to their king, to Caesar. And when he demonstrated this thing in the forum, which is where we get forensics from, he had it on a pedestal. They describe it as an unknown mechanism that would cause this thing to turn, and so he could display it to the gathered crowd and they said that you could hear gasp go it from the crowd, and they wanted blood at this point, you know, they wanted blood. It had been a witnessed homicide with these senators. But when the people saw what had happened to and that was the first time not only was it the first documented autopsy, but what's old is new again. You know, we used really modeling now, you know, in court, and that was that was the first Tom And that was a couple of thousand years ago that he thought about that at that moment, Tom, that scientist, that physician, that clinician thought about this time, how am I going to convey this message to these people that don't have my understanding necessarily because they haven't spent their time treating patients. How are they going to appreciate this? I got it, he has this Eureka moment And.
Speaker 2: I get that from your when I listened to because I I you know, I trained interned at the Medical Examiner's office for a couple of months, but nowhere near have any kind of experience like you do. So and I don't really feel like I know it all that great. But when I listened to you on your podcast, or when I listened to you on Nancy Grace or any interviews you do, I'm always like, yeah, this guy is like explaining it to people on a normal level so they could understand it. I always like to say, it's like a third grade level.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Well, I get I Look, I don't have comments, you know, and I don't go around reading my reviews I did early on. I understand that's a that's a slippery stock to go. Doyn't do it. But you know, I have somebody say you don't have to. We're not stupid. You don't have to dumb it down for us as much. Well, I'm glad you're so brilliant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some people don't.
Speaker 3: Have the same advantages that you that maybe you have in your life. If you don't like the way I do it, I'm sure you can go find somebody else that'll do it. But this is the way I'm going to do it because you know, look, you never know that little quaranteed that you plant in somebody's brain they may have for years. And this way I look at my students too. For years and years, they may have been told that they're no good at math, that science is hard, and yeah, math is difficult. Science is hard, but the reward is almost immeasurable, you know, the knowledge that you gain and if you can plant that little seed in their brain to help them understand, okay, forum in function. This is how this works. It's kind of like when you're you know, that's why our forensics program is an applied forensics program, because we're trying to train, teach, and train people. Academics hate it when you say the word train. When you're trying to educate people so that they can go out and be practitioners, that's the beauty of it. It's not theoretical forensic science. It's applied forensic science. And so those kids that I have walked through the door, many of them have been told that they're no good in math, or that they're no good in science, and all it takes is just a little shove sometimes and a little encouragement. I mean, I think all of us can identify the first time that we ever walked into a chemistry class, perhaps in high school, and thought they might as well be speaking in ancient Greek. I don't understand this. Oh they let me put together models of molecules. How you know how revealing is that? But then you start to talk about quantitative findings relative to suspect a coke, suspected cocaine, you know that's recovered at crossing. Suddenly suddenly you understand the application of chemistry. Yeah, and you know the lights go go on at that point time. Sometimes that's all it takes. That's why the STEM stuff that they do in college is now is so very important, and in high school as well.
Speaker 2: I know exactly what you're saying. I mean, I went through this when when I was a teenager. You know, I got pregnant with my daughter and I dropped out of high school when I was sixteen, and it was I was kind of deemed like, oh, you're not really smart, you don't know anything, Like why don't you just kind of you know, and it just it's you just have to find somebody that talks to you and doesn't treat you like you're an idiot, to really find that light inside of you to help you know what I mean, to help get you on your way. And I think it's it's cool because one of the things I noticed when we went to crime con. Actually, one of the things my husband noticed first. He was just like, there's all women here. It's all women.
Speaker 4: He's like, this is so crazy.
Speaker 2: And I think, just being a mom and a wife myself, that a lot of times like Nicole's third and fourth on the list of who gets the attention, you know what I mean. I'm running a house, I'm making sure his career is going well. I'm making sure my kids are all in school and doing well, and sometimes I'm on the back burner. But there's some certain situations where women, you know, they get married and they have kids when they're in their twenties and they never get to go to college when but they probably would be really good forensic scientists, right, but they just don't have the opportunity, like you were saying, And the next best thing is for them to listen to podcasts like yours to kind of feel like they're doing.
Speaker 4: The job a little bit.
Speaker 3: It's vicarious, it is, it is. There is this vicarious element to it where you know you can brush up against it just enough and you're not going to have to come home, you know, kill my wife who you met, I love her so that she thinks the world of y'all. She goes on and on about y'all in the time that we had there. And you know, my wife, my wife is she's retired now. She's a school teacher, taught school. God bless her for some mean, we were so happy when she retired. God bless all school teachers out there right now. I don't I don't know how they do it. I wouldn't. You couldn't chase me fast enough, anyone could give me the job. But to give you an idea of kind of the world that that I inhabited as a practitioner, I compare myself and my colleagues to the great apes, where if you've seen stuff that that the researchers have done, where you they've got the videography in there that the apes will go about picking knits out of one another's scalps, you know to you know they're eating them, you know they're looking to. When you work at a medical examiner or corner's office, you live in such a alternative world.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 3: For instance, one of the things that we do for one another is we sniff one another. And people don't understand that because just because we've gotten in from a case doesn't mean our day is over with. We might have to go to court, we might have to go out and grab lunch, we might have a meeting we have to attend. And so we would walk by one another and they would say, and it's very common for somebody to say, well, how do you smell? How do I smell? And that question is not like, smell this lovely perfume or cologne that I have on. It's I don't smell anything. I think you're good. And what we're smelling for is that we had to deal with so many decomps that when you go into that environment, the elements of the and this is kind of a I think it's kind of a metaphor as well, but the elements that they're attached to death they attached to you. Now that happens physically. Yeah, facial hair hair.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, we had a guy one of the Medical Examiner's office when I interned. He always smelled like dcomp because of his beard.
Speaker 3: Always. Yeah, and it's one of those things. I was in a pickly wiggly refrigerated truck with bodies from a capsized oil service vessel. They were coming in day by day they were trying to outrun a hurricane or a tropical storm and think capsized. They all died and we didn't get them all on the same day. We're trying to get them identified. They were all in their underwear for some reason, nobody had any id on them. Had to cut the jaws out of every one of those bodies. These bodies are coming out of Gulf of Mexico, so they're swollen and bloated. And no matter how many baths, how many showers I took, I love a shower. I love a good shower. And back then my hair was really dark. I had this great tompsilic like mustache that's big brown.
Speaker 4: To post some pictures of the.
Speaker 3: Old school days, I do everything, and I wrote about this in my memoir, I look like a cancer patient. I wound up having too. I was so weary after that event, and there were other things that were happening to I wound up having to shave all of my hair off, shave my mustache off, even shaved my eyebrows off. And that seems nutty, but it had affected me to the point where you become neurotic about it. Plucking those hairs out all these sorts of things, and it sounds so absurd, I know, but that's that's the nature of what you do when you work at a medical examiner. When I would get home in the evenings, I would always have to come in through the rear entrance of our home through we had a mud room on the back of the house where the laundry is and all that stuff. And Kim, yes, she'd meet me at the back door and she would ask me not hey, babe, I love you so good, to seek say did you have a decomp today? And that's an interesting when you think about the position that you put your spouse in. You know, you you're there and you're you're leaving this world to death, which is what you always do. It's not like being a homicide detective. It's not what it's like at all. Your death day in, day out, twenty four to seven. You are seeking out to diad you're trying to understand what happened to them, no matter the circumstances, homicide, suicide, whatever, and you bring that, you literally bring that home with you. And so you know, my wife would I had a spot in the in the mudroom, I'd have to strip all my clothes off. She's a saint. She's a saint, she'd bag them all away.
Speaker 2: You don't want that smell in your house. You don't you want to come home and not have any association with what you just did. It's a very hard line, it is.
Speaker 3: It's very hard, and it had gotten so bad at the end of my career where I wound up working for twenty years as a medical legal death investigator, and then I transitioned into academia. And I've been doing it now for twenty years, so I'm really old. But I look back now at that very young man who had no business doing what he was doing. Somebody was willing to take a chance on this uneducated kid. I had no education. I just had tenacity. I kept coming to the more volunteering in the morgue, who does that mopping up, the more rocking, mopping up maggots, you know, And then finally the first day I'll never forget one of the most exciting moments in my life is one of the theologists looked at me and said, and I'd been scribing for him for a while. I'd sit over on the stool. I had my own scrubtsuit, I'd sit on the stool and I would sit there and I had actually a scriptsuit and what they used for as a sectioning gown, which is like a it's a green gown that ties on the side over here, and it was it looks just like a scrubtsy. And I would faithfully wash it, you know, and I would describe for him. And then one day he looks over at me and says, do you want to close? And I thought that he meant, go get my mop and mop up everything here, you know, which is what I was doing. It's not what he meant.
Speaker 4: He was like, you could say, do.
Speaker 3: You want to close? That is exciting, and it really was. And I knew I knew how to hold the needle. I've been watching, but until you put it in your hands, until you feel that tension on the skin down near the pubis for the first time, and what how much force it takes to push through.
Speaker 1: It's kind of unbelievable, right it is, and tying it off and then start with a baseball stitch and you're going up and you're I remember being terrified I was going to stick myself, which I did.
Speaker 3: Multiple times over the years and cut myself and injected myself and did everything else, you know. But you know, I look back at that time and it was invaluable because it's something now that you know, I can pass on to my students, I can pass on to my friends that listen to Bodybags, and my wife and I now, you know, we think about the tears that were shed, all the dead kids that never had a voice, the stories I would come home and tell her. It would make us hug our babies even tighter. Appreciate those moments, and many times I would fail to appreciate them because I'm so obsessed and worried about having to go back to work. I'd work four days on ten hour shifts. Of course, ten hour shifts always turned into thirteen hour shifts, and it had gotten so bad at the end where I would pick up my keys at the end of my last watch that I was on a call, that I walked out of the door of the m's office. I was thinking about having to come back here in three days. I wasn't thinking about, Gee, I'm going to go home be with my family. I was thinking I've got to come back here in three days. A snow way for anybody to live.
Speaker 4: When I interned there. It was nice.
Speaker 2: I was there for three months and I learned a lot and I got to cut my first body on a dcomp and all this stuff. But like I was, I thought to myself, I can never work here full time. It would It's just not for me. Seeing people that didn't know that they were going to die that day, and I can't deal with I don't know. I did a lot of autopsies on fetus and uh infants and even children when I rotated at the children's hospital and they had they all medical diseases. You know that, you're just like they were. They had this and they couldn't do anything to save them. But when you see kids dying in accidents and just abuse and stuff, I just was like, I can't do.
Speaker 4: This every day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we're seeing after you know, the kids in particular, and I don't want to put words in your mouth, but it's like, Okay, you look at it on balance, and you think, what good is just coming out of this. Well, from a clinical standpoint, if I identify some kind of genetic anomalies that I can pass on to the family and say, Okay, you guys really need to be aware of this. This is what we found. I mean, what a what a redemptive moment that is. And amongst all of that sadness. But who am I going to interdict with somebody that starved their kid to death? I mean yeah, I mean they'll hook them up on charges. Maybe. Are they going to stay in prison? No? Are people going to stop starving their kids to death or you know, beating them to death? No, they're not. It's still it's going on right now as you and I speak. You know, somewhere out there, there's kid being abused, There's kids going to wind up dying. It happens all the time. There's nothing that we do it's going to stop that. And that's why I think there's a certain time where you have to be an adult enough to realize and you have to swallow your pride and so that can't do this anymore. It's going to kill me. It's gonna kill me, it's gonna kill my family. Uh. And it's a it's a it's a baton death march, you know, where every single day that's all your your bearing witness to and the human human spirit's not intended to do that. It's not like working on a funeral home you know where you know, they'll say, well, we're here to serve families and provide you're there at selic casket and you're there to dress things up and make it that way, and that's all find and good people need that. People think they need that. God bless them, God speed. But you know, when you're in the field and you're working as as a death investigator, it's it's hard. Uh. But when when you can no fine, no longer find redemption in it, that's the time you need to walk away from it. And I'm that I'm glad I didn't completely go over the cliff, you know. I'm glad that I was rained back in and my wife supported me in that, you know, because she went through it, you know, with me, she saw it all and smelled it all. And you know, would hear about these stories that if I you know, it's like I often tell people a lot of stuff that that I saw and that I did. If you and I wrote a script together, n Cole, and we walked into some producer's office in Hollywood, they say this is too outlandish. I'd never knew it, and we're not going to sell it. There's no way anybody would believe the story, you know. But yeah, and there's a million of the stories out there like that. It's not just me. I'm very small, little guy. I just happened to be in the field at these particular times. Right now, there's somebody out there right now as I speak, that's climbing under a house with a mag and infested body. They're laying next to the body as they examined the body in the dark, you know, damp area that no one has been in years and years. And there's people that are observing things right now that we can't even begin to fathom out here in America. Right now as we speak, they're out there doing this job day in and day out, and nobody ever, nobody ever thinks about it. You know. My first date that I read with my wife, we'd gone to a Braves game and we went out.
Speaker 2: This is the only thing we're gonna we're going to disagree on, Joseph.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not a baseball'ser. I mean, I'll watch it. It's not right. Really. We went to a place called Fellini's Pizza, which is everything's named Peachtree in Atlanta. I was working for them by this time. I left my job in New Orleans, which is my hometown, and then wound up taking the job in Atlanta. And she's a school she was a school teacher. And we were sitting there, we had a pitcher of beer and we were eating pizza, and and she looked at me and said, uh, now, what is it that you do for a living? I said, well, I said, I'm a death investigator. She said, you mean like a cop. I was like no, I said, I'm the eyes and the ears of forensic pathologists out on the field. She said, I thought they'd go out there. I was like, no, forensic pathologists don't go into the field. That's a Hollywood fiction. And they might go, but rarely, and you don't want them out there because they don't they don't know how to process crime scenes. They don't have you know, they're good in the morgue. And so i'm their eyes and ears, and my colleagues are too. So that's what we go out and do, and we notify families of deaths, and then I'll work in the morgue and you know, all these sorts of things. And profoundly enough, and that she didn't she didn't really think about what she was saying. When she said this is a first date. She looks at me and says, until I met you, I never thought about death. It's like, wow, I'm not I'm not going to have second chance. Here got to make She's beautiful, you know, She's sitting there and uh and I was thinking, you know, I'm uh, well, I lost this one. I'm not gonna have a chance. You know she's saying, she's making quotes like that, I never thought about death until I've met you here. I've told that story is a number of time, but it's it's a little slice of life for me that because you know, death had become my norm. It was my norm, and that's that's no way to live. You know, that's where death is your norm. And you're right. I'm so glad you didn't go to work for the Emmy's office. I can't tell you how happy I am that you didn't make that decision. I'm glad that you took your skills and applied it to truly helping people. I mean, like helping people with the diagnoses, the sturgical diagnoses that you can make. You know, these specimens that are coming out and you're taking a look at and what you're doing is like literally, I don't think I don't know that people fully understand, you know, how valuable an asset you are, you know, when you're talking about looking at some tumor, uh and trying to make an assessment of this thing that has been excised from somebody's you know, body, and they're trying to understand what's the course of action here, your decision, your diagnosis as you're sitting at that scope is so valuable. And that I always wanted to be in that environment. I think that I secretly, uh you know, Harbard thoughts that I would eventually go to what was it, It was either Duke or I can't remember you, And I think, yeah, And I thought about doing the PA program there for a while. I used hope that memory would get one. I would have loved to have gone through that program and just do nothing but autopsies, not have to deal with families or just sit in sit in a lab, you know. And and it's not I don't mean to be dismissive by saying that, but the peace of that and you know, we I heard off the conversation and it was so beautiful the way you put it about and people other than you and I and people in our field are not going to understand that. But you talked about that piece that you have in the morgue with a body. Oh yeah, and that's a true moment of discovery in there. There's nothing that there's no cross talk, there's no phone, it's just you one on one with the body, grossly examining the body and trying to understand what happened to this person and trying to assess it in that moment, and and know that whatever you come up with is going to be invaluable. And there is a real piece in that, you know, And you kind of leave that that morg area after you've done what you've done, you've cleaned up, and your head back upstairs, and all of a sudden the noise begins to invade again, and all the static that's around you and everything, and there's there is truly a certain piece that that happened. Most people want to stay away from the more there are people that want to be there. But for the line's share of people's you know, they'll take the loop around the long way in the basement if they've got to go to the work cafeterias in the in hospitals, always next to the mor give or notice it, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, but we had patients all the time, like accidentally one time we had the door, yes, and I'm just like, oh my god. They would have been traumatized if they saw anything that was going on.
Speaker 4: In that room.
Speaker 3: They walk in and they're where we used to call it a johnny coat, you know, the hospital gown, the johnny coat, and they're pushing an ivy pole and they put, hey, what's this door? And they open it up, and you're always had that, you know, there was an internal lock that we could use, but and it would always seem I worked in some really old old hospitals and the way they used to be designed it You would come walking out of the moar at these hospitals and right down the hallway is the dining area, you know, and it's where everybody went to eat for some reason, and the food was always tremendous, and nobody in there other than you know, maybe the nursing staff and people like that. They know that that's the more because that's where they take the bodies, you know, when or the transport service I take the bodies in there and you know, place them in the train and leave them and leave if But they don't know what's going on down there, you know, in that little room. You know they have no idea. But yet the cafeteria is right there. And I have to say, I'm not as a patient, but as a person who walks into a hospital cafeteria. Some of the best meals I've ever had in my life were in cafeterias and hospitals. But yeah, it's it's kind of a Hospitals in and of themselves are weird places. They're like little cities, little islands, and there's a pecking order. A lot of people don't understand that. And uh, pathology is generally out there, you know, on a little island by itself. You have people that come in and out not always wanted to be a part of that. I could, I would, I would just scrape the surface of it. And you know, going into hospitals and assisting with private cases and doing temporary That's how I got started. The corner's office was being renovated and we're using a brand new hospital to our autopsies, bringing in decomposed bodies into a hospital autopsy suite. I remember those days. That would never happen now. But yeah, we brought.
Speaker 2: In an exhumed body once. That was pretty interesting, but it was it was supposed to be in a hospital autopsy and the person got buried by accident, and then they had to get dug off like a year later because when they finally realized that the person didn't have an autopsy, the ground was too frozen to dig them up.
Speaker 4: So it just took it took a while.
Speaker 3: Very unusual case, but they are in exhubmations in and of themselves or fascinating. I'm a history guy, so anytime I'm there to see a grave cracked open and you never know, you learn a lot. You learn a lot about first off, you learn a lot about the skill of the funeral.
Speaker 4: Director, Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: Because if they don't do an effective job, you're going to wind up with a real mess literally on your hand.
Speaker 2: And this guy was underground for a year and he just I couldn't believe it because I was really obviously, I was really scared to have a person that has been has been dead for a year in the hospital because I thought, if that smells really bad, that's going to permeate and people are going to smell it, and you don't want people in a hospital to smell that smell.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: But he was he looked, he slid makeup on his face. It was insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I had a guy that was had been on the ground for sixteen years. He was an African American gentleman that was a pastor, and it came to light that his wife, It is true, his wife may have poisoned him. And they thought that it may have been heavy metals, and so we did an exhamation. I'll never forget this. It's one of these moments in tom He was dressed all in white, had a white suit, white shirt, white tie. He had red socks and they put shoes on him and had red patent leather shoes on. And I'll never forget this guy. And he had a what had been in his lapel, a red carnation and the flower was completely wither, but it had stained his lapel. And the only sign of change that had occurred with him was he had a large focal area of mold that had grown on his face. Other than that, he was completely intact, so cool, no foul smell. There was no water intrusion because lots of times with the vaults, you'll get People won't realize this, but because you're subterranean, you don't know what's going on beneath the ground. And I think people think that bodies are perfectly sealed and they're dry, and they're not. It's a nightmare scenario. And so many times detened upon the wa water table if it rises, if you've got like flash flooding that occurs in an area, you'll get water intrusion in these things in the caskets will literally float like this and then drain back out, and so you have to contend with that and talk about the smell there generally with a truly well embalmed body. I learned this from a forensic pathologist because I for some reason, it really gave me the creeps. First time I did an exhimation to be involved in it, and I'd done a lot of other cases freshly down, I mean, people that had just been killed in the most awful ways. But for some reason I was really put off by an exhumation. The very first one, I'll never forget. It was a lady and he said, come here, I want you to smell something. If I okay, it's not your finger or something else. No, he says, come over here, lean over next to her mouth and her nose and inhale and he said. I said, okay. I pulled down my mask and like that. He said, did you smell it? I said, I smelled something. He said, it's got almost a sickly rose like scent to it. I smelled it again. How do you tan if it didn't and it was it had the body? You know, with these embalmed bodies, if they're done well, first off, the texture is almost I describe it to people sometimes it feels almost like the surface of an overinflated basketball. That's kind of how it feels. The tissues very very from and I have yet to have worked on an exhamation where it was like a dcomp you know, where we've taken it out of a river or a swamp or out of a home. I'd not had had that experience before. Every exhumed body that I'd ever worked, the bodies were fantastically intact. I've had a few where I questioned how well they've been actually embalmed.
Speaker 2: But you know so well, Joseph, I could talk to you for the next fifteen hours today. It's been so nice talking to you, and I really hope that you come back and we could share more stories like this.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'd welcome it. I want to offer you a personal invitation to come over to body Bags. We would love to host you sometime.
Speaker 4: Awesome.
Speaker 3: Bring Maria with you. We would love to chat with her as well. The door is open. We would love to have you come over and let's have a chat. We can continue the discussion and maybe dig in some cases that are out there and things that are you know, some fascinating cases that have got some medical intrigue to them.
Speaker 2: Perhaps, Okay, awesome. I have a couple in mind that I will let you.
Speaker 4: Know that I'd like to know about.
Speaker 2: Could you tell everyone where they could find you, obviously your podcast body Bags?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Sure. First off, I welcome the opportunity just to tell people to introduce Introduce everybody to my university. It's Jacksonville State University in Alabama, not Jacksonville, Florida. It's JSU dot E Edu, JSU dot e Edu. And then Bodybags Podcast. I'm on iHeart as well as Apple and Spotify, and there are a few other platforms you can find me on out there. And then I up here on any number of you know, Core TV and Low and crime and NewsNation. I'm on News Nation a lot, but primarily I do a lot of stuff obviously with Nancy Grace, I'm on her program, which appears on Merit Merritt Street Media, which is doctor Phil's new imprint. I do a lot of work with everybody's friend of Vinnie Politan, who has a nighttime show in Court TV. He and I go back years and years and he's a dear soul, so I like working with Vinnie as well. So, uh, you know, I'm out here, you know, knocking around most of tom and you know, I enjoy just talking about the science of death and the science of of investigation. So welcome all comers, So come on over and we'll have fun.
Speaker 4: That's so awesome. Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 3: You bet Nicole, my pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening to Mother Knows Death. As a reminder, my training is as a pathologist's assistant. I have a master's level education and specialize in anatomy and pathology education. I am not a doctor, and I have not diagnosed or treated anyone dead or alive without the assistance of a licensed medical doctor. This show, my website, and social media accounts are designed to educate and inform people based on my experience working in pathology, so they can make healthier decisions regarding their life and well being. Always remember that science is changing every day and the opinions expressed in this episode are based on my knowledge of those subjects at the time of publication. If you are having a medical problem, have a medical question, or having a medical emergency, please contact your physician or visit an urgent care center, emergency room, or hospital. Please rate, review, and subscribe to Mother Knows Death on Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere you get podcasts. Thanks