Speaker 1: We're back and You're out in God's Country with Dan and Rita is also known as The Brother's Son, where we take a weekly drive to the intersection of country music and the outdoors. Two things that go together like saw mill gravy and Mama's homemade biscuits.
Speaker 2: Like cookies and bellby the cheese now just go together really good. I know, tried. If you have our dad used to it's like poor Man's Cheese Goods.
Speaker 1: A podcast produced by Meat Eater and iHeart podcasts.
Speaker 2: So hop on up Rod, Shuck Nun with us as we get to know some of the creators behind the songs you know.
Speaker 1: In love like Ben Hasty.
Speaker 2: Dude never Ben broke haste.
Speaker 1: I didn't want it to him.
Speaker 2: Turns out he was broke, yeah at one point, but he started hacking him. Dude wasn't balled out?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Another another songwriter buddy of ours that we've we've written some songs with and but in the in the songwriting room, you don't get into the conversation like we do in this podcast.
Speaker 2: There's just not time to do so. I mean, when you've got a write booked at eleven and you've got to be out of there by three thirty, which he's a busy guy, dude. I mean that guy's yeah, doing it like he's top of it.
Speaker 1: And sometimes when you're in there with with somebody, you're writing with somebody that you've never met before, you do get into man, how'd you come to Nashville and the story. But that's what's cool about sitting down in this room, being able to talk to him for you know, an hour or what a forty five minutes and really hearing about those stories about how they grew up.
Speaker 2: What they did, what they wanted, how they.
Speaker 1: Get into the deer stand story.
Speaker 2: Great killer.
Speaker 1: This guy played in the College World Series for a team that wasn't supposed to play in the College World Series, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: Man, and honestly probably could have gone pro. He was a baller, dude.
Speaker 1: You got a kid that's playing at Alabama right now.
Speaker 2: All his kids are ballers, dude. All oh, you just need to listen to the podcast.
Speaker 1: You see, which it was great man. We didn't want it to end. Benza is a great is world class guy, world class songwriter.
Speaker 2: He'll be in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, just cool stories, cool outlook on the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Great dude, great dad, great songwriting, a great friend. So check it out. Put your headphones in so listen to it, sir.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to God's Country.
Speaker 2: Never Been Broke. We got a good one for y'all.
Speaker 1: Got got a songwriting buddy in here that's having trying to get he's having trouble getting songs cut.
Speaker 2: It's always had.
Speaker 1: Trouble getting songs cut for what thirty years?
Speaker 2: I mean Reagan was president when I moved here.
Speaker 1: Y'all don't know any of the songs this president. You don't know any of the songs this guy's written, probably never heard anything that.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm here. I mean, I want to get my name out.
Speaker 1: There, giving him a platform. That's what we do, dude, that's.
Speaker 3: What we try to try to say. No doubt you're desperate for something.
Speaker 1: I ain't no doubt, no man, we got We got Ben Hayslip in the room. This guy's I mean, he's a hit maker. Dude writes hit.
Speaker 2: Song has been, has been for a while.
Speaker 3: Dude has been Hayslip man about right on that too.
Speaker 1: Last time I saw Ben, we were riding over at the at fifty Egg, where I write and guy steps out of this nice brand new you know, Ford truck lifted looks good.
Speaker 2: Dude got the wheels.
Speaker 1: On it with a he's got a nineteen sixty eight Gibson stepped out in no case, comes inside, sits down. We're talking catching up, and I see Ben flipping his guitar over and just kind of shaking his head and man, dad gument Man, Man, I'm like, dude, what's what's wrong with dude? You look like you're in a tough spot over there. He's like, last night, man, I was in my room picking around on my guitar and my dang lab ran in. He was like, I just he's barking and going crazy, jumping on the couch. He's like, so I just flipped my guitar around, smacked him in the ass with it, broke my guitar.
Speaker 2: All you know, you got money if you smack it. Ain't no doubt labs with sixty eight Gibson and just looking at it, going dang man, not like good feel it. What's the dog's name?
Speaker 3: His name is hook h u K. Yeah, So broke the guitar all the way down the back. Hadn't got it fixed yet because I'm a little superstitious.
Speaker 2: After I broke it. I wrote a.
Speaker 3: Song a couple of days later, and Luke Brian cut it four days after I wrote it.
Speaker 2: Now Here is every time break.
Speaker 3: I can't get mixed now, I mean, I'm kind.
Speaker 2: Of Luke can't. I don't know, man, I see these songs he never writes, and then the first story of his mouth about Luke.
Speaker 1: Luke Brian cuts every song that we don't write with you. Yeah, what's up with that, dude?
Speaker 3: I mean, I send him five hundred songs a year and he cuts maybe one.
Speaker 2: If I'm is that the way to do it? That's a trick. I guess quantity over.
Speaker 3: I send four hundred ninety nine that don't even get a response.
Speaker 2: I feel that, you know, what I made him listen to yesterday was that this s ain't no hobby. I said it to him. He's also on that South Georgia summer some songs I just don't get.
Speaker 1: I just don't understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we did that, Yes, all right, let's not do it.
Speaker 1: Dan O looking a little looking a little less uh uh less like you got money like there, your wallet's hurting over there. You had a talk he took a hit yesterday. Had you had you had a day?
Speaker 2: Man? What happened yesterday? Down? I had a bit of a day. So all r luke because a couple of days ago, It's like, man, I didn't move some stands, which means we all come over and move some stands.
Speaker 1: Which means bring read over here and let red move stands and put them.
Speaker 2: Up for us. Whatever it means. Either way, who goes the top and think many?
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, but the bottom holder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you think it would work better the other way around.
Speaker 1: I was wrapped around white oaks all day with poison ivy in my eyeball.
Speaker 2: That was it wasn't poison over it. I didn't die last night. So that I told you that it had one leaf, I was like, hey, man, I know it's in your face, like literally, but that's not I.
Speaker 1: Was like, I'm about to go to the BEMI Awards, except my first award with eyes like Will Smith looking some bitch up there with just can't even see I'm poisoned sumac all over.
Speaker 2: And look at it and get it.
Speaker 3: And my oldest kid can He's up there grabbing it by his hand, pulling it off the tree. I don't understand how I can't, and I get it from watching him good.
Speaker 2: I'm shocked. I'm not, of course, it usually takes two days.
Speaker 1: One time of year. I get it all like I have to go get shots and take message. I get it.
Speaker 2: Were stands we do it earlier than this.
Speaker 1: We probably just start doing it the winter.
Speaker 2: Bro So we go over there. We get done with the first stand, I think and looks like, oh, we need some more baring chain on for this. Uh we got one the post sauce, you know.
Speaker 1: So he not me, brand new to walk, got the thrust little.
Speaker 2: He puts it in the back of my ranger. So him and really take off. They've gone. I'm coming down through there. They pull into the barn and there's a section. I was like, oh, I can just squirb up in there. So I go over side and I was like, what did I just do?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Like I didn't know. I mean, it sounds shock going on, and so I thought I have hit his barn door, and I know that's Spencer. I look back man, that post office forty five and dude, I mean it is And I was like, I was like, well, at least it's the richest human in the world that I broke. So, I mean, maybe it's not that you know. He was like, yeah, go ahead, benmo me that one eighty. I was like, Mitch, you put it in the back, dude, and he was like, you're right, I did, but just go ahead. Ben. I was like, he's gonna hit me up for it. Last night we just got in the truck. It was like, dude, it was like, just venmo me one eighty.
Speaker 1: He was, I'll send you an Amazon link.
Speaker 3: Hit y'all have it on him. I'd go and get it too.
Speaker 2: I see. That's literally what I said. I was like, honestly, dude, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think I see ye saw, I'll send you thank you note.
Speaker 2: But I so I but I told him, I said, well, put that broke one in my I bought that broken then, you know, so put it in my trucks. I'm gonna go fix it. So I got that. Daddy's coming to your house right now to get it out of the back of your truck.
Speaker 1: Was in my truck.
Speaker 2: He's gonna look at it.
Speaker 1: But that's kind of that's kind of where we're at. We're moving stands where it's that time of year. Yeah, you've been in the woods.
Speaker 3: And man, you know, I'm to the point now where I loved it. I mean, I hunted my whole life, you know, growing up, I did it as much as you can possibly do it. But when you get where I'm at now, it's like, I'm all about getting my kids ready. Sure you know, yeah, I've been in the woods a lot, but if I had him sat in the stand, It's like last year, I went hunting one time and I'm thinking, if if this bug that my kid has been hunting walks out here, ain't no way in this world. I can't pull this truck. I'm not gonna pull this trigger. I get that, And so it's still that I'm there now. I'm like, man, I want to I want to do all the stuff I want to. I want to help with, you know, do the food plots. I want to get the stands up, find the spots, clean the spots, you know everything. I like doing all that, absolutely, but I do it now so my kid can walk out there and one of my kids, any of them, and one of them did, yeah, yeah he did.
Speaker 2: And was that the buck he was after.
Speaker 3: No, it's not the one he's after, but it is a nice one. There's there's a couple more out there now that we're after. But yeah, it's like I enjoy all the other stuff that go along with deer hunting right now as much as I do sitting in the stand and kill the one.
Speaker 1: It seems like you get to that point. Yeah, and that's that's like a that's a common theme I think across hunters and big deer hunters that have you know, you kind of grow up and you fall in love with it, and you fall in love with the chase, and you go all over the country chasing them. Yeah, and you get maybe you beat them a couple of times and get beat a lot, but you have a double good deer that you've hunted and taught you how to be a better hunter, and you got hanging on the wall and you tell those stories. But it gets to a point it seems like that, man, I like, I mean, the the prep work is always going to be there, yeah, But when you're in the stand, man, it's it's it's almost just as as rewarding as just sitting there and being out there and watching them, especially probably in your case, I got young kids, but I can totally see myself getting into it. For their say, yeah, way more down the road than That's one.
Speaker 3: Of the best things I've ever done. I think as a parent, it's just you know, just helping them.
Speaker 2: Develop that love for the outdoors. Yeah, it's just awesome. Man, that's interesting. How do you how do you feel like that's a good I.
Speaker 3: Think you just take them. You just take you know, you take them hunting, and uh, they're gonna fall in love with it.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: When you take a kid deer hunting and they have a little success early, sure, it's gonna be willing for the rest of their life. Like us, They're not ever going to grow out of that.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't do it as much personally now, but I'm doing all the other stuff to come with it. To me, is you know that's just rewarding to me. Is for my kid to Yeah, you know it is for me.
Speaker 2: I remember y'all talking about you and Rat talking about y'all, y'all cutting plots for doves ll Kelly doves. You're probably did. We had a pretty good these jokers. I mean, they were in deep non and what you want to do, you don't have to go ahead and playing them. Call this guy he's gonna to spray because he's going to have to kill him. Before the time, I mean, I was just like, what are these dudes talking? Yeah, because I don't know nothing about that. I mean, we grew up dove Hunt, but it was always just go to a buddy's field. Yeah, yeah, kill about six or eight, go home. Well.
Speaker 3: We had a Yeah, we had a good time. Man, this first time I ever planted my place.
Speaker 2: But uh so, how do you do it? Do you just do sunflower seeds and we do?
Speaker 3: You do some flour millet, you burn? I mean, I mean I only know the whole process, man. I mean I got a guy to do it. But they come in and burn it and then reseed it, you know.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: I mean it's just a whole process.
Speaker 1: But you have droves in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's amazing, man to see all this work. Yeah, and you're out there and open the day and you're like, man, all this work we put in and there's a sky full of doves flying across sick.
Speaker 2: Man. We never have onuns like that. I feel like dove Hunt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like back in the day when we were growing up there we had some of those.
Speaker 2: We weren't playing. We weren't doing our is too deer crazy yea. He was like, we ain't putting no field on anything we got because we don't want to run the deer off of it.
Speaker 3: What a good thing about you know, you're planting wheat too. So sure after dove season has kind of done the deer, I mean they're in there every day.
Speaker 2: They love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it was always something for us. Dove hunt was always something for us that was like it was just getting getting out there, you know, and and it was it was scratching the itch before deer season.
Speaker 2: Aspect. The social aspect of dove hunting is a lot of fun, like.
Speaker 1: The even if you don't go out there and you don't shoot a million, like even if you if you're just out there with buddies and yeah.
Speaker 2: The top can you shoot it more than once? Because we always just went that open to day and that was kind of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you shoot it as many time as you want to.
Speaker 2: Really, does it get better? Does it get worse? Well?
Speaker 3: I mean usually the first one is the best. This year with us was kind of opposite because we our dove field didn't get ready in time for the dove to actually find us. Yeah, you know, we had a pretty good opening day, but our second hunt was better than I first.
Speaker 2: Really, so how long ago? How long was the space between?
Speaker 3: No, we waited about ten twelve days between the first one and second, and by that time every dove in the county found out where we were, and.
Speaker 2: You were, well, they were't getting hunted there, so so use it's opposite, but that's the way it was for us this year.
Speaker 1: What's your best uh, what's your best recipe?
Speaker 2: What do you like doing? To man?
Speaker 3: My oldest kid has the best recipe. Wraps some in bacon. Yeah, yeah, tell me there's a better rest.
Speaker 2: There ain't no.
Speaker 1: Better res bacon everybody else, but that is that's and it's I feel like it's the same thing for Duck. I feel like it's the same thing for I mean, there's some deer recipes out there that are great, But dude, if you wrap any piece of meat and a piece of bake with some cream, cheese, jalapeno and you put it on a grill.
Speaker 2: For alipenno, it's hard to beat. Dude. It is halipenne.
Speaker 1: You know, why are you making fun of me?
Speaker 2: How you say? You say it like that? My dad says London. He says London. I don't know. You said, Ali, kialapeno. Maybe it's hard.
Speaker 1: It's hard work to say it's not hard. How are you saying it? Kalipino, jalipena alipina pepper. Isn't that one like a Mexican pig?
Speaker 2: I had a pain, Hilipino. Did you grow up hunting Georgia? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean I grew up hunting my whole life.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, I kind of my granddaddy's kind of what the person who got me into My dad didn't really deer hunt a lot, so my granddaddy took me. I remember funny stories like the first time he so, I decided I was gonna build my own stand. What age, I mean probably twelve or thirteen, And so I built this deer stand and when I got done with it, it weighed about eight hundred pounds. I mean all right, said yeah, it was eight feet off the ground. But I remember my granddad said, I will go find your spot if you do this on you own. Now go find your spot, put that stand up, go kill you on you on nice. So I loved that stand somehow in the back of his truck and I myself was twelve thirteen years old.
Speaker 2: I headed down the power line.
Speaker 3: There was one There's a long wooden power pole in the middle of this power line, right in the middle. Ain't no cover nothing. So I look at that. I'm thinking, man, that's a good spot right there. I was against everything I have been talked about hunting, say, but I somehow got that stand at the back of that truck.
Speaker 2: Was it already like ladders all put together like one unit.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is a big old wooden stand.
Speaker 2: It's just gonna lead it up against the tree.
Speaker 3: I leaned it out of the truck and let it just fall against that pole. And then I did the power pole on the pole, on the pole. I love it. And then I had a pie I never forget. I had a piece of yellow nylon rope, so I tied that sucker underneath it around the around the pole, and it was it was a wabbley as you get. You could getting on more wabble in the stand. But I was only eight. I was eight foot off the ground. So I take the truck back, get the fo whiler, bring the foiler back down there. You know, got my gun and everything. I'm thinking we're going to part my foe there. So somehow I just said.
Speaker 2: I'm a parker. You hunted that day? Oh yeah, it's all I.
Speaker 3: Had went down in no time, thirteen year old brain bro. So I parked my foiler under the stand, hecky on the pole, heck in the middle of the field, with no cover nothing. So I get I mean literally, I sit in the stand. I had not been there ten minutes.
Speaker 2: This is not real.
Speaker 3: No, it was in the middle of the rut too. So this, this is one of the biggest bucks I ever killed to this day, walks from here to that wall fifteen feet from me in that stand, in that stand, walks straight and stops in front of me, four wheel on her. Nay, I shoot the deer and I go back get the foar. I'm excited, man, I get I headed back to my granddaddy. I got I got one. Let's get the truck and go get him. So were heading down the power line and we get about. You know, you can see that see that pole. He's like you sitting right.
Speaker 1: There, Yes, sir, yes, sir, you dang right there you go.
Speaker 3: Where'd you where'd you park you for? I said, right underneath the stand. He just looks at me and goes, I'll be down. He said, he just walked right there.
Speaker 2: Huh, I said, right there, he's laying there. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Man, you don't try to tell me there ain't a god when that happened, you.
Speaker 3: Know, when he getting ruted, I mean anything, but yeah, I mean that would have happened on normal day, you know. But I mean all that's true story. I mean, I wouldn't put this stand up out there in the field, you know, I mean the wabbly stand. I mean, you know, wonder and fall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how great is that?
Speaker 1: Though that your granted that was like, hey, man, do it by yourself.
Speaker 2: Go get you one. Dear it out. I mean, I don't think he's goren. They probably expected to go kill him one.
Speaker 1: For power, but taking the reins off man, unhooking, hooking the chain, dude, go do it.
Speaker 3: He learned something that day, though, He's like, man, you know, put you put a stand in the middle of it. That's my favorite. That's my favorite place to go. If I had one place to go hunting right now, i'd be that that power line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that wouldn't be on that pole.
Speaker 1: But yeah, off a little bit, but probably stand that we grew up doing that same thing. I mean, my first year I ever killed was out of a box line that we me and my dad and Dan Belt and same thing on the power line. Uh they had just clear cut the field down there. I just took the pines out and uh yeah, I shot a dough in my dad's lap and then fast forward. Gosh, let's say I'm thirty five. That was when I was aired Fast forward twenty seven, twenty eight years thirty five. A day though, me and my dad hunted that same box line and shot two of the biggest deer out of it fifteen minutes apart. Same thing, and you can't beat that much.
Speaker 2: I killed my first year out of that blind yeah a point you remember I looked like Darth Brooks that heads up? Did you have a lapel long? You don't remember? We had? Our dad used to love He was kind of I mean, thinking back on it, he was kind of obsessed with radios, like the community, because we always had a million different times because you know, they wouldn't work or someon would work better.
Speaker 1: Well understanding it now, Dad even to go hunting, he had to take us because Mom wasn't gonna be sitting at home before kids while he was out hunting. So he would he built two box lines and he would drive us in there, put Danny one, put me in the other.
Speaker 2: They were in with within c distance. Ya, it was still probably three four hundred or we.
Speaker 1: Probably couldn't shoot the same deer, but but yeah we could. We throw We'd throw an orange vest out the window and that was, hey, you.
Speaker 2: Picked the turn. He walked talking on this time he looked up the pala line and there was orange vest hanging out. You're like, what's up?
Speaker 1: You see something?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's one between me and the pine trees sticking was like, there's eight hundred poe trees, dude, which what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: But Dad would walk those ridges and he would have his he would have his radio on and just listen to us.
Speaker 2: Jabber awesome all day long. I wonder if we ever talked to the trash on there, like about we were ten years old. I don't think how to talk trash can't stand your dad thirteen.
Speaker 1: I think it was like, hey, dude, you got any snacks I can come get?
Speaker 2: So we got a little bit. I had this Garth Brooks lapel Mic that came around, you know, and then I remember the deer I shot, looking back on it, and I spawned him. But I was so excited. It's a big eight point. He's three and a half years old, four and a half years old. It was the first like good deer I'd ever shot.
Speaker 1: I remember that day.
Speaker 2: I do too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, walking and finding, it's what I remember.
Speaker 2: They say, it was like, man, you like carthros up there. My hands all messed up going around. I was trying to get to that deer, you know, like.
Speaker 1: That's the only guy I ever knew. Whirl of pal. So you grew up hunting, Yeah, playing some ball and now, I mean that's as far back as you can remember.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's all I did. I mean when I was younger. My daddy was a high school coach. So baseball coach, football coach. He was a head football coach. And uh so, I mean we love we love playing ball. I mean me and my daddy. You know, I can't count how many hours were spent in the yard. Yeah, throwing footballs or baseballs or whatever.
Speaker 2: Same. That's exactly how we came up. All we did was baseball, football, basketball, and hunt fish.
Speaker 3: That's all we did, and my daddy started. My first year I played football little league. We were a pretty good team and we lost a few games. My dad didn't coach me. The next year he coached us and literally from uh i'd say, from ten years maybe nine, nine year old football all the way till I finished playing youth football, which was around what twelve or thirteen, we never lost a game. That's the only game we didn't win is the first game he coached us, we tied, and after that we never lost another game. It was crazy, crazy running. We were down in Valdosta, Georgia. We're kind of where football is king. You know, you can't even get the country club if you don't play football.
Speaker 2: And you know, but uh was.
Speaker 1: He still coaching high school?
Speaker 3: No by that time, well, shortly he got he got into the insurance business after that, so I think then he was an insurance setsman. But he was, you know, it'ching that love for football by coaching little league and he took it serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know he was.
Speaker 3: There's kids, Uh, there's kids today that you know that that loved my dad for just for what he did for him and as a little league coach, you know, I mean we're pretty the league where I played in Valdosta, a lot of pretty poor kids down there. Yeah, so there's kids that I run into. I mean last year there's a kid that not a kid anymore, but he told me He's like, Man, I never told you this, but manam daddy used to give me money all the time.
Speaker 2: Really, that's so cool.
Speaker 3: I never knew that.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: It's probably the same that that same feeling that you were talking about earlier about hunting getting kids into it. There ain't nothing better than seeing those kids fall in love with out do. It's probably the same thing.
Speaker 2: For your dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, football and introducing kids to sports and seeing how that kind of turns them into you know, that's a big part of your childhood, man. And learning how to be disciplined and learning how to be uh competitive and loyal to a teammate. Man, that's those are big you know characteristics.
Speaker 2: Bro. I'm forty years old, and I can remember the feeling I had when dust and Blackwater walked Clint Crumwell to throw to me and then I I bounced this off the field. Yeah, in one game. I remember that feeling. Due I was nine, are ten years old? I know it was on that second field over there in the complex, I know right where it was.
Speaker 1: Due those are your World Series back then?
Speaker 2: Man? Speaking of World Series, great said, way, I didn't know you went to it. Yeah, nineteen ninety How did that? How does that even work? I mean, how does that even work? Did y'all win?
Speaker 3: No, we didn't win.
Speaker 2: Oh? Sorry I brought it up.
Speaker 3: No, I mean it's I mean just to be there, you know. I mean, yeah, So I played at Georgia Southern Baseball Baseball, Yeah, and we were just really back then. Georgia Southern is a good team. Now, back then we were a really good team also, and we we just had a team that at the time we didn't know it.
Speaker 2: But what resis? I played first base and left field.
Speaker 3: But the time, we you know, we had a team that would eventually produce a bunch of big league players. At the time, you didn't know it. Just buddies, you know, teammates. Wow, we didn't know that. You know, three or four of us right here fixed to make it to the big leagues.
Speaker 2: You know who was it? Do you remember?
Speaker 3: Yeah? My one of my high school best friends in college best friends gamed Todd Green laid eleven years in the major leagues. Joey Hamilton was our number one picture. He was throwing I mean he was throwing ninety eight back and then in the night, you know, in nineteen ninety and all my.
Speaker 1: When Randy Johns, when Randy Johnson was the only one.
Speaker 3: That was Yeah, that was back when nobody was throwing ninety eight. Know, so he was our number one picture. He was the first round pick. He played ten years in the pros, in the big in the Big leagues, and our shortstop was named Chris Peterson. He he played kind of up and down in the Big leagues. He was never he never stuck around for a long time, but he was kind of he was one of those guys.
Speaker 2: He was really good.
Speaker 1: When did you know in that ball club that you were like, hey man, we're pretty dang good man.
Speaker 3: Crazy story, but true story. So we're, uh, we're me and my roommates. Before the season started. We're sitting in my kitchen table. So I used to me and Rhet started this back when we were young. We you know, it was a little cassette players. So we just hit record and save stupid stuff.
Speaker 2: You know. By the way, Rhett, in case of the listener doesn't know is one of of all of our well sort of Ben's best buddies. We know him. He's a he's a songwriter too. The Hall of Famer now, yeah, yeah, yeah, just last year. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: We'll get into it. We'll get sorry, that's who Red is.
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: So I pulled this tape recorder out sitting at the table with a couple of baseball buddies, and I just start talking and I'm like, I don't remember exactly what I said, but I was actually saying, welcome to the nineteen ninety College World Series. Come on, Georgia Southern taking on. I don't know who I said, Yeah, and uh, I kept that recording. I don't know where it is now, but I actually said that before that before the season started. That's cool, and we actually ended up getting there was absolutely crazy.
Speaker 2: Who play? Who'd you play?
Speaker 1: In the series?
Speaker 3: We played Stamford in Game one and we got beat on a terrible, terrible call.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's actually good to YouTube and see it. It's kind of crazy, but really, yeah, one of our guys hits the ball off the second wall, the home over the home run wall, off the back wall, and it comes back into play and their center fielder named Jeffrey Hammond's plays it like it hit the first wall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we.
Speaker 3: Lost by a run that would have been a two run home run. You got one hundred and fifty Empires out there get together and didn't see it somehow. And on ESPN, they're circling where the ball hit.
Speaker 1: You know, ain't no replay back then either, no replace the replay. Now on college, yeah, everything's got replayed.
Speaker 3: Now they're circling where the ball hit and it shows the ball went over over the fence.
Speaker 2: But they missed that one.
Speaker 3: Brutal But anyway, Yeah, sports is always a huge part man, football, baseball, basketball, whatever.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 3: I just I loved it and I love I also like writing songs at the early age, so I mean, I remember being literally eight nine years old just writing little kids songs.
Speaker 2: Why so everybody asked me when you start writing, I'm like, as soon as I remember being able to do it. But mine was in the form of like, you know, dude, you went through the same thing. If you're playing sports and you're like writing songs, you don't want to be the the big first baseman. That's like pouring out his heart on the paper. It's a weird dynamic to try to to manage, right because you're going, yes, I'm creative, but I'm also a sports guy. And then back in small towns, those two dudes rarely are the same guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we luckily I had at an early age, I had Rhett who so we kind of found out that we both love music.
Speaker 2: I didn't know he was writing songs jamming back in the day.
Speaker 3: Man, we were listening to everything from Hank Junior to run DMC to ll cool Ja to George Strait whatever. We listened to everything that was in a kiss and all that. I really didn't get in all that stuff a whole lot, but he did.
Speaker 2: So we just leave usually.
Speaker 3: But when we got together, you know, when we picked up a guitar. I didn't even play guitar, so Rhett did back you know, that early age. So we just sit around and sing Hank Jr. We got videos of us sitting sitting around, you know, singing Hank Jr.
Speaker 2: Yeah, videos right now?
Speaker 1: Yeahs Where did that Where did that love of that music?
Speaker 3: Where did love music period come from? I mean, I think I know where mine came from. It's like, you know, everybody in my family loved music. My uncle is the only person that really playing bands and played music. But you know, if I was in the car my mom, I was listening to you know, Beach Boys or fifties music. If I was in the car my dad, I was listening to Otis Redding and Al Green. If I was at my grandparents house, you know, one of them be playing Dolly Parton. Go to other house they got Johnny Cash playing, or my mom loved Elvis. I was just surrounded by all kinds.
Speaker 2: Of music, so different music too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that helped me. You know, as far as my career is gone, I've had you know, I've been fortunate enough to have success on all kinds of artists, you know. I mean they're all country, but you know, this might be a pop country guy, this might be dirt country over here. So I think my love just being surrounded by all kinds of music, it made me love music, you know, And obviously I love country more than anything, but I still like all kinds of music.
Speaker 1: Man, which seems to be like a thing in town too, Like that stick around power is if you can kind of mold with with the genre as it molds and kind of do that different stuff, whether it's write super country songs for a little bitter pop country songs or maybe a rap country song or whatever. Yeah, R and B. If you can, just if you can kind of stay with the times and be able to kind of do all that. I say, the same thing, man, I would drive I would ride the church with my dad and we'd be listening to gospel music or sometimes he put on the Doobie Brothers Yea and Dan would drive me to school or my sity and we'd be listening to country and Garth and Joe Diffy and then my sister would be listening to Black Street and Genuine and.
Speaker 2: All that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, I mean, and we live in Savannah, Tennessee. Where you got the show Close, you got Memphis right there, you got Nashville. So it's kind of just a big pot of you know, mixing pot of different styles of music.
Speaker 2: Y'all had to like some Percy Sledge and stuff all loved. My dad loves Percy Sledge. That was his, that's in his wheel house. I mean, I know some of that stuff. And when a Man Loves a Woman might be the greatest song ever written. That's an interesting question we should probably bring on what with Riders? What do you think is? What? Would you argue the best song ever written would be what was Your? What was Your? That was a good one.
Speaker 3: When a man loves the woman's got to be I mean, sleep out in the Point Rain turn his back on his best friend. A man loves a woman, come anything.
Speaker 2: I think I would go just immediately popping in my head. It's like, I can't make you love me? Man? That was a I can't be old habit Shank Jr. Solid dude, yeah, solid? You know what hate Junior song? I love the.
Speaker 1: Country Boy can't survive? Wrong with any of those?
Speaker 2: Was it habits? The habit? They found? No lives every yet? Do I know?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: I know Lifesaver. He's the only one that could do it. Though, he's the only one that could do You can't hear gardb books talking about no life Savers like, oh, yeah, that's good. I used life Saver to help me get off cigarettes. For your love, I a Lifesaver yet, yeah, come on?
Speaker 1: So it was kind of it was those songs you were you were kind of growing up, yeah, and were you trying to We were like, man, I want to I want to write like that, or you just you just thinking, man, I just want to I just want to put pined paper and see.
Speaker 2: What did you even know? I mean, for us, you didn't even know songwriting was a career. I didn't know you could do that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean, I mean I remember thinking in high school that I want to go to Nashville one day, and I didn't know what to do when I got here. I just knew that I like country music and I want to be a part of it. And in my mind, Nashville is where you got to do that.
Speaker 2: That's true?
Speaker 1: Was that more of a Were you thinking more about Nashville than you were playing in professional.
Speaker 3: Ball man tours when I you know, I think when I first got to college, I probably was still had that dream. I know, I know it did playing professional baseball. And it's like, man, you get there and you see so when you're playing college baseball, a lot of ex college baseball players who current pro players, they come back and work out with you, you know, at their own motors. And I'm seeing guys that are thirty years old that are in double A and thirty old, you know, thirty one, thirty two years old, still in Double A that are better than me. I'm thinking, I don't, you know, I just I don't want to be thirty thirty two years old one day still trying to play professional baseball. And I probably it's not going to happen because that guy right there is a lot better than I am.
Speaker 2: I see that already.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But another thing too, towards the end of my career, had already ret moved to Nashville. So Rett moved here in like ninety one or ninety two, and I was in college. But he'd come down to Georgia Southern where I was at, and he'd bring all these demos of songs you know, he'd written and mode and to me, I never heard it. I mean, it sounds like what you hear on the radio, sure, except Rhet singing them and he wrote them. So that's what that fired me up. I'm like, yes, cool, you know, looking back, man, I mean when I when I graduated college, I had opportunities to be a be a football coach. I had actually had head coach jobs, head coaching jobs that I turned down, And I don't know that I would have turned them down if Rhet hadn't already been here. Man, I think Rahtt making that move here and him playing me these songs and fire me up. That just made my decision to move to Nashville a lot easier.
Speaker 2: Singleton. Singleton was that for me. I mean, he was our buddy. He had a band. My band was like his baby brother band. And then man, he was coming up here and writing songs. We were hearing demo, same thing songs. Yeah, I can still remember and just be like, wait, man, you can do this, Like you can go and sit in a room and create something and then go cut that thing and then you're thinking it just it almost feels like the major leagues do. It's like, what is the word intangible? There's no way, There's no way that could ever happened for.
Speaker 3: Me, right man, I mean my goal, I mean my goal. My expectations when I moved here were so small. So when I moved here, it's a lot different. So I moved here. It was cassette tape.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: I moved here, and I moved to the end of ninety four Stavid writ for a little while, found an apartment and went back home, loaded up at U haul and came back. And my I mean honestly, my expectation. If I can somehow, some way walk into Walmart one day and look at the back of a cassette tape and see a song I wrote, I made it, and I'll go back home and I'll coach football rest of my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you thought it was ten billion dollars if you did.
Speaker 3: That, Oh well back then it was I didn't even care. I'm like, man, that's just making it to me.
Speaker 2: Sure I made it.
Speaker 3: If I can see my name on the back of a cassette.
Speaker 2: Tape one day, that's pretty cool, you know.
Speaker 3: And then you get that that happens, and then it's like it's like golf, man, ain't no doubt. It's like you hit that one good shot to keep you coming back.
Speaker 1: Ain't no doubt.
Speaker 2: You get that up like, oh I can do this, Yeah, I can do this.
Speaker 3: Then you you know I had I had some early success as far as cuts.
Speaker 2: When I first moved here. What was your first cut?
Speaker 3: Remember first couple trace Akins. It was my first cut, didn't make the record. So I learned early on, you know, about Nashville. And then I got a black Hawk cut after that that didn't make the record.
Speaker 2: That was my first one that made the record.
Speaker 3: And then uh after that, I'd get I'd get a few here and there, but I just you know, you weren't getting wasn't having the hits, but.
Speaker 2: It was keeping you around. It was kicking you around.
Speaker 3: But I meant the same time, I'm real close to my family, So there was a lot of years went by. I'm like, man, what am I doing? You know, I'm here doing this. Yeah, I mean in my mind, I'm like, even if I even if I make even if I have a little success, Man, how long is this going to last?
Speaker 2: Totally?
Speaker 3: You know, am I gonna am? I gonna raise my kids up here in Nashville, Tennessee, away from my family. My parents were getting older and just one day eventually go back and then all those years are lost.
Speaker 1: You're preaching right now, those early years that you were in town, trying to get cuts and trying to get your feet off the ground. Were you strictly right with Red and Red getting you in the doors or where you were you doing?
Speaker 3: The mame Red was when I first moved here. Red was so bit he had a record deal.
Speaker 2: He was popping right there. Yeah, he was just coming truck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ninety five ninety five. So yeah, Red was on man, he was gone. So I didn't really you know Red, not that he hadn't introduced me to I mean, I've met a few people Red.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, we know that road, that's what singed.
Speaker 3: He was already gone, So I didn't really there was As far as writers go, I don't know that I ever met it, right, I don't think that I met a writer through Ret that I ended up writing with.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was just, you know, I was just kind of was on my own ground, just grinding up here every day, meeting people writing.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 3: I was working another job too. Even when I got my first writing deal, I was I had this dagum job. I was selling ball caps and T shirts over the phone and uh and uh and I was in the crazy here's a crazy thing.
Speaker 2: That's a braves cat.
Speaker 3: We were selling the bills Baiting Tackle shop out of Oklahoma and just what any small company you can think of, Bob's Body Shop. We just cold calling every day all over the country trying to But here's the thing is, if you own a company in America, most time you have a ball cap for your company. So we're calling about something they're probably gonna use anyway. But I happened to be really good at it. So they had a they had I'm very competitive, So they had a they had a sales board and it showed top salesman another week every week.
Speaker 2: So you go driving to a place in Cold Calling.
Speaker 3: From that point, you get there at seven o'clock in the morning, and I would do that intil one and I'd leave there and go write it to whoever would started two o'clock.
Speaker 1: That's crazy. Would Yeah, I was on the bridge.
Speaker 2: You so my name.
Speaker 3: So if I if my name went on top of that board every week, I was, I mean, I was upset, man so and it was so because of that, I was also started making decent money, okay, And then I finally he hit me. I'm like, man, I'm making I'm making this guy over here a lot of money. I'm selling. I mean, I'm selling a boatload of balls every week. I mean, I mean, I mean this guy that I mean employ they can't print on fast enough. And so I finally I just left and I started my own company. I took a guy with me to run the company for me.
Speaker 1: And uh, why are you trying to write songs? Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So a lot of people don't know this story is crazy. But the reason, one of the main reasons there was so much time in between me moving here and have been successful was this company that I started.
Speaker 2: So we had like I ended up getting on my mind, Superior.
Speaker 3: Sports where so we had like fourteen I got fourteen employees and we started. You know, my daddy had retired from fourteen. Yeah, my daddy retired from insurance business in Georgia. He doesn't he's done really good and his you know, but he's retired, and so I hired him. He started selling from Georgia. So my dad's first year entrepreneurs the dad made eighty five thousand dollars selling ball caps from home. He's like, man, I didn't know if I could sit in my chair all day and sell, and he did. He was sitting as a decliner and call people all day.
Speaker 1: Did you ever think, well, I mean, you were getting songs cut. Did you Did you ever think, like, man, I just I just still sell ball casts for the rest.
Speaker 2: Of my life.
Speaker 3: Well, it was just it was hard to find figured out I I got. I had this company, had an office, had man had everything?
Speaker 2: Where was the office?
Speaker 3: It was off Spence Lane.
Speaker 2: Dude, I had no idea.
Speaker 3: So anyway, but what I found out because I was, you know, I'm competitive, and I'm I mean, I won't you know, I don't expect people to be just work hardue. So when I was at the office, the company was rolling. When I would leave to go write a song, it was like, man, things now, yeah, and less time i'd spend there, the company would do less, you know. So I started spending more and more time there and I'd write song as much as I can. So this went on for this went on for like eight years, dude. So though I guess two thousand and eight. So I started that company in nineteen ninety nine. In two thousand and eight, Rusty called me or two thousand and seven, one or two, and he said, he just said, Man, I'm starting this new company call this Music, and I want you to be the first writer I signed, he said. But here's the condition. Rusty really believed in me. He said, I think you're one of the best writers in town. He said, but you've never give it right in one hundred percent, which he was right. I never had, you know, I'd.
Speaker 2: Give him all cast.
Speaker 3: So and uh, He's like I need you to give it one hundred percent of your time, just for the first time in your life. And this is true story. And he said, man, if you do that, I will promise you you will be songwriter of the Year. And three years after that conversation, I was Songwriter the Year.
Speaker 2: Wow man.
Speaker 3: And four years after that conversation, I did, I was at again, that's so cool. But that was you know, that's not that's more bragging on Rusty gas It is myself back in the days, you know, when you have when pluggers just got after it.
Speaker 1: I was about to say, that's kind of matching. I mean, because Rusty is one of the best in the game.
Speaker 2: He's the best there.
Speaker 1: So that's matching work ethics and him believing in you and you you, you know, stepping up to the play.
Speaker 3: Like I said, when I say I'm not bragging on, I'm still writing the same songs now I was then. I never pitched a song, yeah, I mean I never pitched a song. I mean I had a lot of good buddies recording songs, and I never sent a song to anybody.
Speaker 2: I didn't have to have to.
Speaker 3: No, I had Rusty Gaston, yeah, and he was you know that's a difference. That was a difference maker right there, sure, because he was a heck of a salesman and everybody respected him. And you know, I think everybody knew if he's sending me this, this song must be good.
Speaker 2: So you're at this music at that point. Tell me the origin of the peach Picker beginning, and then we'll brag on how a decade of music.
Speaker 3: Well, so me and Red obviously you know our relationship, sure, and so I was also so I guess two thousand and eight, I was writing with Rhett, and I was writing with Dallas, but not together, and Rhett was right with me and right with Dallas. Same thing for all three of us. We just weren't writing as a three. We weren't getting together.
Speaker 1: As three of us who went to college together.
Speaker 3: Dallas and Luke went to college together.
Speaker 2: Ah, yeah, at.
Speaker 3: Georgia, not Georgia Southern. Okay, Okay, yet Georgia southn We all went Georgia Southern. Coach s One Dale went there too. Sure, So anyway we were, we were kind of writing around each other, and one day Rusty, I guess he booked us. He said, you y'all, y'all three. We're all you know, he was liking everything we were writing. He said, I shall try this together one day, and it was on a Wednesday. It just happened to be on Wednesday. So, uh, we wrote a few songs. We just had a good time.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: We you know, we're all Georgia bulldof fans.
Speaker 2: So we get in the room.
Speaker 3: We talked Georgia football, we talked where all we loved, you know, being in the woods, we love fishing. We just had a lot in common. We all come from basically the same place. And uh, you know I can say something to those guys that they would get that a lot of people wouldn't get the same thing. We get each other, you know. So we just start writing on Wednesdays.
Speaker 1: Every every Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Well we wrote that first Wednesday, We're like, hey, let's do it again. Let's do it again next Wednesday. Before we know it, let's do it again. So we kind of booked this is going to be our day.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: We're just having fun writing songs. And the reason we were having fun. You know, I even forget this sometimes today, but Rett and Dallas will tell you it's like, man, we didn't care what was on the radio. We just didn't care. We didn't chase anything. We we we basically wanted to write.
Speaker 2: What we love.
Speaker 3: And our motto was, if we can put this in our CD player at the time when we leave here or we get the demo back, and we love it, there's a good chance Smile's gonna love it too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: How many times as writers do we write something we don't even love it?
Speaker 2: Man? You know?
Speaker 3: So, I mean that we were just prime examples of write something that you love. Don't worry about what's on the radio, because what we were doing was not on the radio. Was it just wasn't It wasn't on the radio. And then it was you know, we wrote.
Speaker 2: Every on the radio.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had you know, we had a few before, we had a few hits before we were called the peach Pickers. You know, we had I think we had one or two.
Speaker 2: Was first.
Speaker 3: The first one was put a Girl in It by Brooks and Dough and then we had great Song.
Speaker 2: Then we had give Me That Girl Joe Nichols. That's my favorite Peach Pickers song. That's my favorite Peace.
Speaker 3: Per that's possibly mind too.
Speaker 1: Dude, d.
Speaker 2: One, dude, you' all just sat.
Speaker 3: On the cord story. So on that day, so we're we're sitting in there and we're struggling to come up with something, and it's lunchtime. We're like, let's go out in the truck and listen, just listen to music. So we go out in Dallas' truck and we put on John Mayer. Okay, now this song doesn't come out sound anything like John Mayer, but we were listening to John Mayers songs we were like just getting inspired by, and we literally said, let's go on ahead and write something. John Mayrish that one day. I remember us saying, let's chase something.
Speaker 2: I would have never put those two things.
Speaker 3: It didn't come out that way. You know, it came out Give me that girl for whatever reason.
Speaker 2: God, such a jam, dude. I mean, I can remember when was that would have been like old, yeah, that would have been. I was in college and that thing popped out and I could hear the intro in my head that, yeah, just hanging on that.
Speaker 1: You weren't in college and testing ten. I was in college in testing tent.
Speaker 2: I mean I might have still have been. I didn't move up here till eleven. Really Yeah, anyway, okay, fresh out of college whatever. I can remember jamming that tune and just being like, man, what is this sound? And then I feel like, I feel like that's a great like roots system sound wise for what y'all did over those next ten years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so too, man.
Speaker 1: And I think it's interesting too, because like all those songs, you say that you were just having fun. All those tunes are fun. Yeah, and you can you can you say that and it makes sense in my brain. I can see y'all almost in that room doing what you did for so long, because you get that picture by listening to that song, like you get.
Speaker 2: Super strong personalities too. It's very different, Like you were very different from rhet. Rhet is very different from Dallas. You are very different from Dallas. It's like I could see the you can almost hear all of you in those tunes.
Speaker 3: And man, it was just the thing about it was the most laid back right.
Speaker 2: Of the week. That's fun too. You didn't you didn't even.
Speaker 3: Worry that that was the day you just wrote office And I'm not even worried about that day. That day is gonna take. I mean, we didn't have much time. Nobody had an idea.
Speaker 2: We just sat down.
Speaker 3: We and like I said, when the peach pickers thing came by accident, there's a We were doing an interview with Country Weekly back at that magazine, you remember.
Speaker 2: The Country Amazing.
Speaker 3: We were doing an interview and during the interview, RHTT called us the peach pickers, just kidding around and she laughed. She's like, yeah, we all from Georgia. We played guitar and that was the end of it. It wasn't like we didn't make it.
Speaker 2: We didn't.
Speaker 3: That wasn't our name. I was just HTT talking during the interview. And when the when the article came out, it said peach pickers strike again. Yeah, Colt Russy, yass see that.
Speaker 2: Yeah right.
Speaker 3: Now, let's have a party for the peach picker party. We're going to serve everybody peach ice cream, you know, peach cobbler actually is what he did.
Speaker 2: So tell I know that. I don't know if reading those that tell us about the peach picker parties.
Speaker 3: So we had a peach picker party, and uh it was just this is so get We had a Peach Picker c D and I had that.
Speaker 1: I remember that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I remember the only way to get this CD was to come to the party.
Speaker 1: And it was y'all singing the songs that you would had been hitting hits right.
Speaker 2: No, they wan't. None of these songs I remember.
Speaker 1: I can hear Dallas singing some of them right now.
Speaker 3: It wasn't The songs weren't cut yet. But the only way to get one of these CDs the label was to come to the party. And there was no holes, genius, no holes. There was no holes. It's like whoever cuts them first gets them. And so I mean literally, I mean we didn't. I didn't know what expect Me and Dallas and Red. I remember us thinking, man, is it gonna show up this thing?
Speaker 2: Where was it a hat? It was a Warner?
Speaker 3: It was yeah, And I remember we were worried about it and we get there and all of a sudden, just.
Speaker 2: Like a songwriter be worried about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, the labels come, the whole town came.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, this was one of the It was like, imagine the biggest number one party you've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Did y'all play Did y'all play the song?
Speaker 3: No, we didn't play anything.
Speaker 2: You didn't play nothing. We didn't play anything. We just they served ice cream. We just shook hands and everybody got a c D. And then it was on.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh man, so and so is cutting this. No, I remember a song Barefoot and Crazy. It's like, I'm not gonna say the artists, but one artist wanted it and Scott worres.
Speaker 2: She had said, well, they have to beat us to it in the studio tomorrow. Is that Jack Jack Jack? Yeah? So he flipped type on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so Scott was cutting on Jack Ingram before this other person coul Get in the studio.
Speaker 2: It was crazy, man, Yeah, that's wild.
Speaker 1: That's so for the next what when when did that Peach paper party happen?
Speaker 2: That was probably.
Speaker 1: Saying yeah, after that day, you never worried about another Peach bigger party again because for the next.
Speaker 3: No, we never had another one for ten years straight. Well, I mean we had the vibe kind of changed a lot through the years. Uh, you know, it's always every Wednesday we'd write, and then we all got kind of pretty busy, and it's just those Wednesday started turning into every other Wednesdare you know me and Rat still actually write every Wednesday.
Speaker 2: To this day? Really, wow, we still do it.
Speaker 3: You know, Dallas is running the publishing company. He's doing a lot of other stuff. Sure, it got harder for him to be there every single Wednesday, but there was times of funny stories about you know, like there was some there were some two ways written when when.
Speaker 2: Dallas is supposed to better we know, Dallas, he's fine.
Speaker 3: Well, I remember if you look back on the creation dates of Honeybee of Mind Reader, of when she says baby on one Farmer's and Farmer's Daughter.
Speaker 2: That's far off the top of my head.
Speaker 3: If you look at the creation dates on those, they're all written on a Wednesday. Wow, now Farmer's daughter. It ended up being a three way anyway because Dallas was on a hunt somewhere out somewhere and we get there and Marv Green got canceled. We're like, come on here with us, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the.
Speaker 3: Other three honey Bee, mind Reader, and when she says baby, that was that Dallas was on the book those days.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't there. He was.
Speaker 3: He had good excuses, you know, he was sure. Yeah, it was just laying around the bed. He was going doing stuff, going hunting whatever. But yeah, those those all those songs were written on Wednesdays.
Speaker 1: That's cool, man, Yeah, yeah, we've been we've literally been in deer camp with Dallas and Illinois and the first time we ever met him, and it was just us three in deer camp and we got done hunting that morning and Dallas like, let's go grab you know, some lunch, and we go off this little diner in this little small town in Illinois. And while we're sitting there at the diner, I mean, dude, it's it's what twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen. Yeah, it's just it's peach picker song after peach coming from the speaker little country. And we got done with the meal and the what are they called when they hang you the thing that to pay for the receipt? Yeah, yeah, not the receipt, but bill bill. Yeah, dude. They brought these three out and Dallas just scooped them all up. He was he was like I think I just He's like, I'll take care of y'all. He's like, I think I can pay for that.
Speaker 2: I can't remember which Randy Howser song was pretty much pay for all these will Moonlight? Yeah, yeah for this one.
Speaker 1: Just hit after hit after hit due.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fun, man, that had to be.
Speaker 3: That's always man, when you do that with your kind y'all doing the same thing, man, you know, yeah, in the middle of it, y'all on the same thing we were in the middle of you know, it's just having fun with your buddies and all. Y'all all got the same things in common, you you know, totally.
Speaker 2: It's awesome. Yeah, it's a pretty wild thing to be able to do that with your me and you got to do it last year and have a hit with lout together and man, it's uh, it's arguably the greatest feeling in the world. Man, to just be doing that with your pals.
Speaker 3: And I mean in the fact that we get to do that this period sure with anybody. I mean, we get to write songs for a living. Yeah, you know, it's I still feel guilty about that. I mean, I remember my daddy going to work every day, leaving the house at selling something every single day, you know. Yeah, yeah, Granddaddy coming in and sweating from the farm. And we get to write songs. I mean, how do we get this lucky and blessed?
Speaker 1: Man, I've heard I've heard you say that before. It's like you still you've been doing this for how long now?
Speaker 2: I mean getting paid to do it. Yeah, I mean a Nashville. So it's ninety six.
Speaker 1: And you still I've heard you say you still love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I love. There's very very few times that I dread getting up going to work. I mean, I don't like to drive. To drive sucks. It's getting worse and worse every year. But once I get here, I'm glad I'm here.
Speaker 2: Man, Yeah, I feel that way. You know.
Speaker 3: I love writing songs. I mean I'm gonna do They're gonna have you run me out of town. I mean, I'm gonna do this forever.
Speaker 2: Sure, man, maybe he's just head on out. There's some room for the next time.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, my mind might change older I get but right now I'm saying, I mean I love. I love writing songs every day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's awesome. So you just got done a farm tour. Give me a good old farm tour story. I know y'all got man, we can't tell them stories. I mean, we have a good time out there. I'll say that.
Speaker 3: You know the fact that three songwriters get to go out there and play for thirty thousand people.
Speaker 1: I was want to ask you about that. What's that like, dude? What's what's what's stepping out on state? What are y'all playing? Y'all playing songs from the past.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we just give our you just not play Luke Bryn songs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well we kind of tease them a little bit. The ones we wrote. We can't play them because Luke's about to play them, right, That's what. So we'll tell the crowd that, like, hey, we wrote a few songs for Luke too. We can't play tonight because he's about to play. Yeah, And I just say, hey, Luke's back here listening to see what kind of crowd we got. Yeah, so let's give him a little sample of.
Speaker 2: What we got tonight.
Speaker 3: And it'll start out you got your hands up, and then thirty thousand people are saying.
Speaker 2: You ain't got the radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll be out there.
Speaker 2: I'm out there right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah too.
Speaker 3: But yeah, man, this ship, you know, we've been doing that for thirteen or fourteen years. I mean it's like and his fans, you know, kind of we have a good introduct somebody introduce us as you know, so they don't think we're a cover band.
Speaker 2: The introduce it. They don't think we're DJ rock.
Speaker 1: They would.
Speaker 3: I mean yeah, if somebody didn't tell it who we are. I mean, we're sitting here singing, you know, fourteen number one is they're gonna think, all right, these boys cover I mean, get off the stage.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: There have been there's been plenty of cover bands, I promise you across this country that have done that same set of y'all songs.
Speaker 3: That's true, So you know, but the fact the introduction really helps. I mean you think, oh yeah, it turns into a cool moment at a at a major concert, when you got the guys that wrote the songs actually on the stage, and when the thirty thousand people know who you are and know you wrote the songs, that they turn all of a sudden they know you're not a cover band. It gets a cool experience for them.
Speaker 2: Oh one thousand percent. I can see why.
Speaker 3: It's way more intimate, if you know, I think that should happened more. Be honest with you, I think, I mean, I mean we've even I mean the peach pickers up. We're asked Luke all the time, why are you not hiring us to be roping the band?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Sure, you know, yeah, I mean I don't want to do that. I don't want I wouldn't do it, but we're just kidding around. Yeah, but it is was a pretty high energy show, you know, with a full and.
Speaker 1: It's probably so much fun too.
Speaker 2: I mean, like, well they only do it two week right, y'all are on that two weeks, so that so you're not gone Like it wasn't like what I did this past year. It's like your only go, you got two weeks, cetera. You go, you rock those two weeks, then.
Speaker 3: You come home, Yeah, in your home rest of the year.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: I watched that video recently of of I don't know if you were recording or something was, but Luke gave Dallas that spit cup.
Speaker 2: And then they get that horn class man.
Speaker 1: But I tell you, man, it's in a weird way. It's it's inspiring to watch that as as like a young songwriter trying to break into that and and and see like, just dude, you were just enjoying y'all.
Speaker 2: Just enjoy life. Man. It's the same thing as snapping Luke's yesterday. It's not if we had a video and that'd.
Speaker 1: Be real funny, like it's it's it's it's a job. It is a songwriting and writing songs for a publish company, especially when you're getting paid to do it. You got to do it every day. It becomes it's a job. The pressure y'all kept the y'all kept the fun in it, man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and and trying to keep the video camera roll and every now and then, Man, I telling that video you saw was actually the second time of the day.
Speaker 2: The first we missed it for really.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't get my family that man, that was the only Luke has a loud horn.
Speaker 2: Yeah that horn.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But the first time we did it, Dallas was coming out of the store holding a case of water, and I didn't get my phone up in time. They hit the horn too early and he I mean literally the water, the whole case.
Speaker 2: Goes up, goes all over. He jump like that.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you got it's a.
Speaker 2: Loud horn on the video train it is. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so we missed that one. So this next one only happened like a couple of hours later.
Speaker 2: That Yeah, it's the funniest it is.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm gonna keep putting up everything, please.
Speaker 2: That's what I wrote on there, like this has to come up at least once a year. Every year for as long as this classic. I mean it is the way he's just holding the cup right with it kind of he just it's really funny.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, spin on my hands.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, I'm gonna interrupt that thing that you were trying to say because it's the time of the show to do the one.
Speaker 2: God, Hey, you feel you feel about that?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: You like that? Week you make that? Still that did you make that? Just right then?
Speaker 3: I should have my recorder going, yeah you did?
Speaker 2: It was going all right?
Speaker 1: So this is the we're coming to the end, which I don't want to stand man, you just want to hang out.
Speaker 2: You ride with us today? Cancel right? Dan got canceled? Yeah, I got canceled. Man, want you all right?
Speaker 3: What you got? You got?
Speaker 2: Who you got today? Yeah?
Speaker 1: So this part of the show. Ben never been broke, Ben haslip, never been.
Speaker 2: That, never been broke.
Speaker 1: So this is this is called the one that got away.
Speaker 2: Which I can't call him anymore because he actually was broke for a while until he started his hat company.
Speaker 1: It could be it could be a twelve pound large mouth that you got to the boat and broke off the hook.
Speaker 2: It could be a David Nell single that you have that never made the.
Speaker 1: Record, no doubt when you didn't have two dollars in your bank.
Speaker 2: Account and they tell you that it is and they let you sing harmony on it. So here's story, right, We've got a store of y'all. It's a great story. Bring it. So I was.
Speaker 3: Probably about twenty years old back in Why did Georgia hunt? Right? All my family Georgia widely Georgia Wilde, All both sides of my family come from whyd to Georgia. It's a little town sixty miles from Augusta, Georgia. So, uh, I shoot the biggest buck I've ever shot in my ever in my whole life. And I mean we're hunting in kind of swampy.
Speaker 2: Area back there.
Speaker 1: Rifle bow mules was a rifle.
Speaker 3: It's about one hundred yards shot, found blood, tracked it, I mean forever. Just I mean, I was bound to try to find this dude. We hunted this deer. This was a morning I shot him in the morning. We hunted this sucker as long as you, I mean all day long. The biggest deer I was shot. Never found him, just never found the sucker.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Well back then, a little history. So my neighbor to land next to ours. Next hours, hearst there was an older woman lived there. Old old woman. She had a grandson, you can say that. I make sure she had a grandson. She had a grandson that would come down from North Georgia and hunt on her land every year.
Speaker 2: No. So, uh, we.
Speaker 3: Didn't know the kid back then that well, but we didn't like him a whole lot because he was shooting anything.
Speaker 2: That walked, for sure, like that. He never liked neighbors.
Speaker 3: So fast forward, and that was that was probably night. That's about nineteen ninety probably when this happened.
Speaker 2: And I was two years old. How far are we fast forward?
Speaker 3: So we're going to fast forward to five years ago.
Speaker 2: Five years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twenty eighteen and eight years so, I get a call from one of my one of my buddies down there in Jefferson County. He's like, man, you ain't gonna believe this. So that kid that lived that used to hunt there, he.
Speaker 2: Ended up moving to that town.
Speaker 3: Okay, you ain't gonna believe us. He said, you remember that kid used to come over there and hunt and so and so's land. I don't want to say her name. I'm like, yeah, I remember him well. He said, you know he lives here. I said, yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: He moved down there.
Speaker 3: He said, man, he just told me yesterday to give you his number. He said that there you shot back in nineteen ninety. No way, he found it back then and got the sucker.
Speaker 2: Mounted there and got it mounted.
Speaker 3: It's in his house. It's in his house. And I ain't gonna tell you what I told him to tell.
Speaker 2: Him, but that deer is in his house right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't. He Hey, come get it, he said, come get it if you want it.
Speaker 2: I don't get it.
Speaker 3: I ain't getting I was too mad.
Speaker 2: I was. I was so fired up.
Speaker 3: I mean that dude knew I was looking for that deer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he knew.
Speaker 1: Dang, how do you do that?
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess thirty years later you go. You know what, man, I didn't kill that thing. And my neighbor being dead, and he could probably give me some Luke Brian tickets something.
Speaker 3: That's the reason I can't tell you what I tell him.
Speaker 2: Tell him.
Speaker 1: That's a good one, dude, That's that's similar. We had Josh Thompson on the other day and he said he told he said he shot a twenty three inch widespread.
Speaker 2: He said, public Land biggest eers.
Speaker 1: Every public Land dropped it, knew where it was, went back to get the truck, came back.
Speaker 3: Stole told it. It's always I would see that deer. I would like to see it.
Speaker 2: But I mean, how can we I feel like we need to rekindle this situation. This is what we did last time.
Speaker 1: I was like to give the guy's deer back, have it.
Speaker 2: I just don't. I don't want it. If it just if it just happened to be on your doorstep one day, would you hang at your barn probably put it on his doorstep. Hey man, this guy, whoever you are, he's not going to say his name, because this guy is a world class. Let's make a case for him right now.
Speaker 1: Not in the world class, just one of the absolutely one of the best dudes, major accomplished songwriter.
Speaker 2: Maybe a pair of loop tickets.
Speaker 1: Either you're Luke Orley, I'll throw some bargain and power.
Speaker 2: I'll throw some tickets in there. If we could get that door on Luke. Luke would want that to happen.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's offered to give me the deer. I just you know, I'm just saying, yeah, we know that.
Speaker 2: How far is Ray? How far does Ray live from? Where that is faulture? Fifty miles? I would make that happen. We'll get Future on the phone. You got that, all right? Ben?
Speaker 3: Dude, that was awesome with Hey, this is this little tib.
Speaker 1: This is Ben's first ever podcast, breaking him, breaking him in, breaking.
Speaker 2: Proud to do it. Thanks for coming on. We love you man, joined boys. I appreciate it. Thanks for coming and hanging out with us, and we'll let you get to you right. Yeah, sounds good.
Speaker 1: Thanks for hanging out in God's country with us.
Speaker 2: For a little bit. And thank y'all hard class.
Speaker 3: I forgot that was what we were calling