Speaker 1: On this episode of The Heat Check, we finish our Eastern Conference preview with the IKEA of Divisions, the Southeast Division worse than the IKEA of Divisions actually like IKEA's coffee tables. You know, they try to pretend like there would, but it's actually just made out of cardboard that's been like disintegrated and packed into like some glue form. So I guess it is the IKEA Divisions. We're looking at Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Look, Orlando, and the Washington Wizards. We also have a great interview with Kurt Healing from NBC Sports to prepare you for all the things about the new season. It is a loaded show. Welcome, let's get into it. William drop that generic gas beat that should be reh.
Speaker 2: Honest breaking down all the biggest NBA storylines.
Speaker 3: Heat Check.
Speaker 2: The Heat Check was just a CRA's the best podcast covering all the drama around the association.
Speaker 1: Our final preview Southeast Division. I'd like to say last, but not least. We saved the best for last, but we didn't. I waited as long as I possibly could to talk about this shitty ass division. The yellow starburst of NBA divisions is the Southeast. It's like the candy corn in the Halloween Bowl, whereas like nobody wants this shit. It's sticking to everything else. You can't get rid of it. They put it on sale for nine to nine cents for an entire pound at your local Fred Myers. But we're gonna get into it anyway because there's still NBA teams here that we have to cover. That's how much I love you. I want to talk about other things the tea, like the Chicago Bulls players meeting only first game of the season has to get waxed by the Okase thunder. But no, no, sir, we must fulfill our commitments, and we start with the Atlanta Hawks. Key additions. They get Kobe Buffin in the draft out of Michigan. They get Patty Mills from free agency. What is Patty Mills doing there? By the way, what the fuck? Why? First of all, aren't you ready to retire? And second of all, why do you want to be with that dog shit organization? Subtractions. John Collins Finally, he's been in the news trade rumors so long. Finally happened. He gets himself into a better situation. Congratulations to John Collins. Anyway, we move forward about the Hawks. So though last year the Hawks imploded, they fired their coach of the deadline, they went out and hired a coach midway through the season in Quinn Snyder for so much money, all the money. Spectacularly, also fired their GM, hired a whole new front office. Remember then they tried to say the GM wasn't really fired, he was just in an advisory role. Now I mean they fired him and he just kept him on site on step. Yeah, Travis Schlank. Now he's working for the Washington Wizards, part of the same same sort of umbrella, yellow starburst. But we'll move forward. The explanation of hiring Quinn Snyder and then not waiting out the year was just so that Snyder could assess, he could wait and see what he had. He could get a head start for this season. And he found out pretty early that this old John Collins Trey Young thing it's not working. It's never gonna work. John Collins doesn't like Trey Young. So this summer they sent out John Collins the Utah Jazz for Rudy Gay and his second round pick. Remember they were at one point I refusing to trade John Collins unless they got multiple first round picks for him back That was a real article. Those were the real news rumors. Sounds like they couldn't get that first round pick for him, and now they got a dirty muffin which was Rudy Gay and his second round pick. They turned down much better packages for him in the past. I like where John Collins landed for a team that was pretty trash. Last year, the Hawks didn't really do much. They're still trying to roll out this whole Dejontey Murray and Trey Young experiments. I preferred to Jontay Murray. They add Patty Mills and Kobe Buffkin. Neither are going to be very much factors. This team is going to fall again on whether Dejonte and Trey could play together. And I don't know, honestly. I like DeAndre Hunter a lot. I am not sure honestly if this roster makes any sense. They refused to extend Sidik Bay, which they traded for, which means he's probably getting moved at the deadline or they'll lose him for nothing. We're looking at a starting five of Clint Capella, who looked horrible in their opening game. He's been rumored to be traded for the last sixteen months, Trey Young, de Jontey Murray just signed an extension, DeAndre hurt Hunter, and bog Don Bogdanovic. Does anybody think that this team is gonna win their division? No, this is a team that went to the Eastern Conference finals. Does anyone actually like this team? The Washington Wizards circle Atlanta on their calendars, like, yep, that's the game. That's the game we low manage stars for. That's the game we low manage Jordan Pool for. They're gonna probably win forty forty two games. They're gonna be a playing team as like a twelve seed? Was it seven, eight, nine, ten? So it's a ten seed? Ten seed? It feels like so many damn teams get in. This is the kind of team really is like wins the NBA in season tournament and they just call that season his success because the owner's son is now running the team, and you know how that whole thing goes. And then we're gonna have another mediocres to season and Quinn Snyder will have to decide whether Trey Young can be on this team any longer in order for them to move on and succeed, and I think he'll get to the point where he realizes maybe he's been the problem the whole time. We move forward another team in this division. My vote for the team that had the absolutely worst off season by far, by far was the Miami Heat. How do you go to the finals and still have the worst off season of anyone? Love their draft picks, Haimi Hawkez love him, you end up getting Thomas Bryant. Don't hate it, Josh Richardson, you pick him up. That's terrible, John. I might be the leader of the Josh Richardson dis fan club, like the non fan club like. I don't hate him as a person. He is not a piece. Though he is not a piece. I would have rather they got Kelly than Josh Richardson. That's not a lie. They lose Max Struz, who by the way, had seven threes for the Caves the other night, just loading up buckets after buckets. They lose Gabe Vincent. They lose Victor Oladipa. They were just waiting. They knew they were getting Damian Lillar, didn't they. They just knew they were getting Dame. They thought they were getting Bradley Beal for a song. This team could have had Dame brad Beal, Jimmy Butler, bam Adebayo. Jesus, what are they doing? Pat Riley? Pat Riley, I don't know what to say other than he just doesn't want to spend money. He's done, he's decided, like the Chicago Bulls, We're gonna put together a good product and in the playoffs we'll see. But I'm not gonna go into the luxury tags for a thirty something star who's gonna make like sixty five million dollars next year. They lost out on Bradley Beal, who was his first choice, was going to Miami. Even this week. Something came out where he was like, I thought it was a done deal, and for whatever reason, they did not want to make a move. It's the no trade clause, Bradley, It's the no trade clause, and they dragged their feet. No clue what happened. I know what happened. You know what happened, pat Riley. Happened. He wanted to basically get another star for free and have Bradley Beal wave his no trade clause, and instead Bradley Burele goes to Phoenix for basically nothing. Literally, I think it was like what how many? Like a handful of second round picks? And Beale is still like, how did I end up in Phoenix? I don't know how this happened. It wasn't even on my board. It didn't even register as a team for me to go to. Then, of course they lose Dame because they didn't want to make a real offer. What did that leave them thinking maybe they could get into the Drew Holiday Sweepstakes? But by then it was like Portland's I don't call us lose our number. Then now they're thinking maybe they can get into the Heart and Sweep steaks because Harden is now opening up the possibilities of trade partners for Philadelphia. He just wants to compete, doesn't matter if he's in La. It's a disaster. Their backup plan, Kelly Oubre went to the Sixers. Then Jannis, who was their backup, backup, backup plan, just signed a massive three year extension. All they can hope for now is Joel Embiid. That's it. I'd say pat Riley is coming to a close of what he's willing to do in terms of his aggressiveness. They find these guys out of the bottom of the barrel. They want these role players who can contribute with very little money attached to them, and that helps them, you know, with their financial situation. That's fine, but ultimately that's not what you want to do when you are a championship caliber franchise. He's a junk ball pitcher now, pat Riley, his command has failed. The Heat were three minutes from getting bounced last year in the player and then what do they do? They said, well, well, just instead of using that data to make our decision, we're going to use the data that's less likely, which is the fact that we went to the finals and then you lose two guys that were on the team that were key contributors. What do I like about this team? Obviously Jimmy Butler, He's fucking beast. He's one of my favorite players in the league. I love bam Adebayo. Those two are enough to do a lot for you in a postseason. Tyler hero is an absolute bucket. He's like the white Anthony Simons. He's going to be able to get your buckets from the perimeter. He's going to probably have a chip on his shoulder and Chuck I don't know eighteen times a game. He's been rumored to be in every trade Miami's ever had. Recently, he deleted Miami from his Instagram. Remember, at one point this beach could probably revenge season for Tyler Hero. Duncan Robinson I think is back into the rotation. I think they hate him less because he proved himself when Tyler Hero was out. In the playoffs, they're starting guards though, are Kyle Lowry and Caleb Martin. This is a bad team, folks. This is a bad team. This is the same team as last year, only worse. If Heimi Hawkaz doesn't produce or Nikola Yovich, who was a healthy scratch last night doesn't produce ah and they don't make the playoffs, I would not be shocked if they don't make the playoffs. Everyone else except for Atlanta got better in their division and they got worse. It's Mas school, folks. They are taking a downturn. The biggest asset that the Heat have is obviously Eric Spolstra. He continues to make gold out of garbage, so I would be also not shocked if they made the finals again. Best case scenario is playing, but you never know what's gonna happen when you get Jimmy Butler in the postseason, the heat though, or a team in decline. I am not ruining for them. I do not feel like they are a team that you can believe in, and pat Riley must take the blame. We now take our attention to the Orlando Magic. You know it's bad, right, You know it's bad when the one bright spot of your division is Orlando Magic. That's where we're at. The Orlando Magic are the best team potentially in this dog shit division. Key additions Anthony Black, Jet Howard, Joe Ingles Key subtraction Bowl Bull. This is the only team in modern memory with ten guards on a twenty men roster. That's this is insane. I don't know what they're doing. Even guys that were rumored to be traded, like Cole Anthony just signed a three year, thirty nine million dollar extension in the draft. They went out and got I don't know, two more guards just for safe measure. Anthony Black, he's not really in the rotation. Jet Howard not really in the rotation. We're just gonna let him sit there and marinate like good chicken. You go with markl Foltz and Gary Harris and Jalen Suggs and Caleb Houston and Kevon Harris and trevl and Queen. You get the picture, folks. A lot of guards, a lot of guards. But I think that kind of diminishes how good this roster can be. Polo ban Caro will come off of the Rookie of the Year season that he had and he's gonna even be better. I think he could legitimately, once he finds his stride, he could average twenty five points a season a game. Franz Wagner, I think he could be most improved player this year. He was incredible in World Cup play, leading Germany to a gold medal, but also they were undefeated, and I like Markel Foltz. I like Cole Anthony to lead this group of guards, which means I think the Magic are probably gonna have a very very deep team, twelve fourteen guys in a game. They should be fresher than a lot of teams. What is their upside, that's the question. I think this is a playing team. I think this is a team that could legitimately win the division. This is a sneaky playoff team. The Magic in March. From March on were five hundred, So I think that's what they're gonna be going forward. I really do. The nice part though, of the magic is I think they have a lot of pieces that they can make some moves if they wanted to. At the deadline. They have enough assets. You could probably package Anthony Black. There's a lot of teams that would like a six to seven guard. You have draft capital, you have young players. You can get probably anything you want. You can probably get Pascal sa Uckham if you want it. You got a starting five of Wendell Carter, Franz Wagner, marcl Foltz, Paolo and Jalen Suggs with Cole Anthony first man off the bench. What you need, or what they need, is veteran leadership. Of course, that's why Malcolm I think Malcolm Rognen really makes a lot of sense for them. Do a deal with Portland Orlando, do a deal. We could use some wings. You guys got a lot, get us window. They also have Jonathan Isaac there, who's supposed to be good when he's healthy. You need somebody, probably with veteran mentorship who can slow these guards down. Do they need another guard? Probably not. They could actually use a guy like Jeremy Grant. Do a deal with Portland, Orlando, do a deal with Portland. I like these Magic I think they have a very bright future. I think they win forty to forty four games. It's time to chop it up with the Charlotte Hornets. Oh gross, just a team that has a lot of issues culturally with that roster. You've had some turnover, You've had a lack of turnover with players you probably should have turned over. Key Losses, Kelly oubre Kai Jones, the Mahollick, Dennis Smith junior, Key additions Brendan Miller in the draft, Nick Smith Junior who I like in the draft. Miles Bridges signs his contract officially announced. That's the one where you wonder, why is this man still on the roster? LaMelo Ball agrees to a multi year extension. Frank Nilikina signed an extension. PJ. Washington agreed to an extension. I don't really know what to make of this team. Sometimes, things that they do in this franchise in general just leave me speechless. Why why you ask? Just why? Why? Let me count the ways?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Okay, So instead of cutting ties with Miles Bridges when they had the chance. I don't know, in like the last ten months, you re sign him and then guess what, you resign him and he breaks his probation and is accused of domestic violence once again, throwing pool balls at his girlfriend's car window while his babies are in the car. Shocking, shocking stuff from Miles Bridges. I tell you the Hornets, I don't know why they can't just get out of their own way. Michael Jordan has sold his majority share at the franchise. The team has a chance to draft a once in a generation player, which is Scoot Henderson, and yet you pass on him for Brandon Miller, who by the way, also has his own off the court issues. Has struggled that summer League. Isn't some guy that you think can immediately respond as a franchise altering player. He just gets named I think a couple of weeks ago, maybe even less, in a wrongful death suit. Kaya Jones' former first round draft pick ig lived himself out of the league. Half of Twitter joked that this team was going to sign Kevin Porter Junior. That's how bad things are in Charlotte is that people think you're gonna make the disastrously wrong move when given the chance. What do you have left? You got LaMelo five years, two sixty million dollar extension. I think he's worth it. You've got a great point guard surrounded by a sea of toxic mididity. Yeah, toxic mididity. I said it. A bunch of mid guys who are toxic. Miles Bridges. I like PJ. Washington. He's just been at the wrong place in the wrong time. I think he was the last major free agent to sign, and he found almost no interest anywhere else for the price, which I think is is weird because he's a good piece. I like him. A lot three for forty eight is very good deal. I like Mark Williams. He's a nice little p had him last year sophomore season. He's already snatched blocking people. Gordon Hayward. Is he gonna be healthy? Terry Rozier, does he even want to be there? You lost Kelly Ubre, which I mean, I don't think that was such a huge loss. Dennis Smith Junior. No one knows who can reliably hit a three pointer on this team. Besides, I don't know Terry Rozier. This is just not a good roster folks. This has got flashes of excitement, but not a team that you want to watch on a night to night basis. They'll sneak up, they'll win some games when you're not watching right, They'll beat a team that you have no idea how they beat. They'll beat the box on a Wednesday. That's what they'll do. But short of a rebuild, I can't see how this team gets better anytime soon. We end our preview with the Washington Wizards, who I think are my pick for the worst team in the NBA. I watched him last night the whole game played the Indiana Pacers. The Indiana Pacers blew hm out by like twenty. Key additions Jordan Poole in the trade, Tias Jones, who I love, Balao Kulibali who they got in the draft, and Landry Shaman who's in street clothes in game one. So that tells you everything you need to know. Key subtractions Bradley Beal, Poor Zingis, and Monty Morris. The Wizards are gonna be bad, folks. It's gonna be I don't know even what the plan is because you've got guys like Pool and Tias Jones who are grown who are in the middle of them of their career, and that's not changing, right. This is the team you want to be rebuilding around. You blew up the bridge, you get rid of Porzingis and beale your two max players for a boatload of picks and some interesting players. So that's not bad. This team, though, is gonna lose. They're the East Coast in terms of the equivalent amount of games lost. I don't think a team is gonna be as bad as them, except for maybe the Portland Trailblazers. A lot of games losing. You add Jordan Pool, which means you're gonna be chucking a lot. Jordan Poole went zero for six from three last night. My man Kyle Kusman put up twenty five, but he was chucking. We already saw that. Denny Abdya is pissed off at how little these guys want to pass him the ball, just casually launching thirty footer after thirty footer four seconds into the shot clock. That, of course, is the Jordan Poole experience, so get used to that. What is left on this roster. They got Patrick Baldwin Junior from the Warriors, a nice little piece I like Danilo Gallinari, Danilo Gallinari. If you're a better he's gonna be putting up ten fifteen points a game. I think he's gonna be looking to get moved at the deadline. I think Landry Sham is terrible. Tyus Jones is a good piece. He is. I like COO's Coos. I just don't know the team. I like ballall Coolibali a lot, but he's a brand new baby. He's a rookie. Over the next three years, Washington has four first and five seconds. They can gain even more draft capital by moving guys like Jones, Gallinari, Daniel Gafford, deln Wright. Maybe they're good in twenty thirty. Until then, enjoy Jordan Poole chuckin eighteen shots a game. Now we're in for a big treat. We got Kurt Healing on. Kurt is the blogger in chief of Pro Basketball Talk dot com, but also nbcsports dot com and the managing editor in NBC. We had a wide ranging interview. It touched on a lot of inner storylines that come up for the season. So let's get into it. Welcome to the show, my man, Kurt Healin, lead NBA Rider managing editor NBC Sports dot Com, just one of the I would say more honest guys in their assessments of what's happening around the NBA. I've got a ton of questions. There's a lot developing, and we could spend all day, but I figured I would call it down to the teams that I personally am the most interested in based on what we saw opening night, but also some of the sleeper teams too. So I am really intrigued by Phoenix. I think that's a team that could potentially break the mentality of the super team right being dead. And Bradley Beal obviously is a guy that they got for absolutely nothing. They made moves at in the summer with Nurkic, which I think is super interesting, got a lot of depth. They get a bunch of guys from the Blazers, and I think when they went to Chase last night or on Tuesday night, we were wondering how they would look against a team that has largely been a contender anytime Steph is healthy. So the thing that stuck out to me was Devin Booker. You watch him and it looked like he was the best player on the floor pretty much the entire night thirty two six and eight one steal, and that was with Steph doing you know, Steph things. Do you think Devin Booker is a legit MVP candidate if he plays on a team that Kevin Durant plays on.
Speaker 2: I think it'd be hard to be MVP with Kevin Durant sitting there because unless he does this like every night. But Durant was cold shooting, and by the way, everybody not named Booker like great put up numbers, but he was like eight of twenty and everybody else was just ice cold for both teams.
Speaker 3: I think it solidifies his all NBA spot. Probably. I picked the Suns to go to the finals. I am. I'm like, I am, I'm big on them. I don't know that they're like, I don't think they're there right.
Speaker 2: Now, even though they you know, they got a nice win the other night, and they got some promising signs because you had I got questions about Nurkic and his health and whatever, but he looked pretty good in the opener. I got questions about like Josha Kogie, but he's hitting key corner threes and making plays. So I just think over the course of eighty two and maybe with a move at the deadline, a smaller move like a role playery move.
Speaker 3: The question isn't the top end.
Speaker 2: The question is like depth defense all that, and I think they'll figure it out. But I still think, look as much as Booker's going to stand out.
Speaker 3: I think it'd be hard. You're just hard pressed to.
Speaker 2: Do that against next to Kevin Durant, who wasn't great in that first game. But you you know, I know, like we all know, like there was a big Kevin Durant stretch coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, he always produces, and that's what we know he's going to be able to do. The Bradley Beal thing is weird. I wondered why how he ends up recovering and rehabbing all offseason and then we don't see him with back spasms, especially with this NBA new rule about load management. Obviously that's not load's management. Is Bradley Bule's help a concern or a factor for you at all in terms of you thinking that this is a finals team, I don't really.
Speaker 2: I think the only way to judge of preseason is to say a team is healthy unless proven, Like do I think Kawhi Leonard is going to play eighty two games.
Speaker 3: Probably not right, Like I think.
Speaker 2: We're going to safely say no, But I kind of presume going into the season that he's healthy for the playoffs or you start playing a really random game, and so.
Speaker 3: I'm going to assume that he's healthy.
Speaker 2: But I think it's with his history and Kevin Durant's history, it is absolutely one of the things that can derail the Suns. It is a legitimate concern that he's not there opening night, but you're right, it's it's not load management. But also, just between you and me, do you know how many guys are gonna have like we're gonna take our time bringing Freemont Green back from this ankle thing.
Speaker 3: Because we can get him a little rest.
Speaker 2: Right now, we get like the guys are gonna go down with these injuries all season long that are just rest nights.
Speaker 1: So you think there's gonna be manipulating of that, then yeah.
Speaker 2: Yes, the league says they're gonna come in, But it's the thing about the NBA, and frankly, you know anybody watching who's an NFL fan.
Speaker 3: By week what three?
Speaker 2: Any guy in the NFL can take a week off for an injury if they want to, right, like they're all they've all got enough bumps and bruises whatever. The NBA is pretty much that way a month into the season, like everybody's got knee tendonitis or their achilles aches a little bit, whatever it is. There's all sorts of things that you can come up with to get a guy a night off if they really want to. It's not gonna be hard. And I'm really curious to see how that shakes out with the new league rule on sixty five games to get your you know, to be eligible for end of season awards, and like, i think we're gonna see a whole lot of guys play sixty six games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just because the line is sixty five in order to get all a NBA and MVP and all these awards. Eric Gordon was really good in that game. He didn't produce offensively, but he was still like plus whenever he was on the floor. I think he was a huge pickup. Not a lot of people are talking about him. Utah Wattonabe obviously came over just because he wanted to play with Kevin Durant. I'm curious from your perspective and what you see who is that number one X factor role player that you think is gonna bring the Suns over the top to get them to the finals and beat a team like Denver.
Speaker 2: Eric Gordon's gonna have a big role. I kind of think it's a Kogi just because they're gonna need his defense. They're going to need somebody out. I mean, he's got to be offensively good enough to stay on the floor, but ultimately, I mean, Kevin Durant's a pretty good defender when he is geared up for it and wants to be, but he's not going to do it over eighty time.
Speaker 3: Nurkic is a big body in the middle.
Speaker 2: They don't have a lot of great defenders, and it's on a very defensive minded coach and Frank Fogel to find a way to get enough defense out of this team. Playing a lot of drop coverage with the big body of Nurkici, I imagine. But I think a Kogie comes clear, and then I think you're right. I think Eric Gordon is the one guy on that bench right now going into the season like, yeah, he's going to be rock solid for eighty two. He's going to be rock solid for the Final sixteen. You know in the playoffs, he's not the guy I'm worried about. They just need, you know, who are the other guys to step up?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 2: I mean, they've just got to find at the end of the day, don't you. Basically you got to get to a seven man rotation you trust by April.
Speaker 3: And my guess is they get there. But we'll see.
Speaker 1: Are you sleeping on Denver? Like tell me the truth, because I feel you're kind of doing what everyone's doing right now, which is like, oh, they lost Jeff Green, they lost Bruce Brown, who will come in and save them off the bench? And last night Opening Night, it really didn't even matter. Reggie Jackson looked like he was that guy. But I mean it was spread all the way through. Everybody was producing, and they still scored over one hundred and twenty points and it was like not a lot of bench production.
Speaker 2: I felt like Game five of the Western Conference Finals from last year, didn't it look just like It's like it's just a continuation of what we saw. I thought their bench played okay too. Christian Brown was a Brown. I wouldn't call him Braun because it's Christian Brown. Christian Brown that's he played really well. I thought that they're bench in general. Reggie Jackson. You can count on Reggie Jackson for some points, a few highlights on some trash talk.
Speaker 3: I think their bench isn't bad. I don't. I just do.
Speaker 2: I trust it as much as Bruce Brown. I just let's put this away. I think they're very, very good. I think they're the bar for the entire NBA. If your Phoenix or Frankly, if you're Boston or Milwaukee or any other team with championship designs, you got to be better than Nikola Yoki, Jamal Murray and Denver. And at the end of the day, maybe nobody is. I just got a feeling somebody's gonna pass them this year, and we'll see. I think they will miss Bruce Brown in the Platts as much as I like Christian Brown and everybody else.
Speaker 3: Like Bruce Brown was huge in the postseason.
Speaker 2: But you can't blame the man for go get the bag. Like you know, they don't got it for you in Denver. You gotta go get it. And by the way, I like the Pacers too.
Speaker 1: Love the Pacers, love what they're doing. We'll definitely hit on that. I think Nikola j could actually win the MVP again. If that's oh, that sounds crazy because he he had three assists at halftime something like that, still finished with eleven, and it feels like maybe more aggressive offensively than he's been to start the year. He was just bullying Ad down in the post. It was come and stop me. I'm going into the paint. I'm going to score every time if I want, I'll grab my own put back and get the points as well. So it feels like maybe there's even another level production wise from a points perspective than Nicolekic was even doing the year before when he won MVP two years ago or the year before that, or even last year when MB won it. What are you seeing or what did you see from him? Did you see what I saw?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's really become good at that at And I think that's interesting because we were talking earlier like, hey, the Sons go get use of Nurkic in play it out in place of the issues they had with another big body guy in DeAndre Ay. But I think if you're looking at the West and you want to get through the West, one of your questions has to be, hey, how do we how do we match up with him? How do we even slow him? And Anthony Davis last year I think was as good or better a defender, probably the best defender in the playoffs. He was phenomenal, and Jokic just destroyed him and and then did it again, and like, you've got to have one of those big bodies. I wonder if again, I think with the Suns, did they get Nurkic thinking back, thinking we've got to have somebody to put a body on him, who's somewhat more If he can just stay healthy, he's decision making and just iq R off the charts.
Speaker 3: That's the thing that just hey, all right, I can go through Anthony.
Speaker 2: Davis and get mine. Oh they've adjusted the defense. I'm going to keep finding guys. I mean, I think the most telling play of the game was late. It's actually I think the play he got the triple double assist on you just set.
Speaker 3: A pick for Jamal Murray.
Speaker 2: Jamal Murray was hot, so both defenders kind of went to him. He went to the little Draymond Green short roll, got the ball at the free throw line, saw the defense start to rotate, and just whipped it to MPJ in the corner wide open three.
Speaker 3: It was like, I don't know how you.
Speaker 2: Defend the team when they're playing like that and all those guys are cooking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it makes it feel like the role players don't even matter, right, like you, Yes, starting five can do what they did. I mean they absolutely gassed Ad. Nicola Jokic turned Ad into an absolute zero in the second half. He's getting crushed on first take, he's getting crushed on social media. I actually like, fine with it. I don't think you can really take anything from AD's lack of production in the second half because he's tasked with guarding a guy who's decided he's going to score thirty thirteen and eleven or whatever it was, right, Like, so, do you think that was unfair criticism?
Speaker 2: Not as much, just because Anthony David, Look what you saw from Lebron is what you get from Lebron right now, right, You're gonna get.
Speaker 3: Thirty minutes to night out of him.
Speaker 2: It would have been thirty if they had garbage time the last minute and a half thirty minutes tonight and he was plus seven. He put up numbers, But the end of the day, if this Laker team is going to go where they want to go. Anthony Davis has to be elite. He has to be on both ends. He has to be this high level All NBA player. And one of the issues has long been good game, bad game, good half, bad half, which we saw last night. And I don't think it's all on him, because Trista, I hope you are passionate about and believe in something in your life. As much as D'Angel Russell believes in his shot, he's going to take it regardless. But and I don't think they got Anthony Davis the ball. And he had all these ISOs and posts up in the first half, he just literally wasn't getting them.
Speaker 3: But he's also got to demand those. He's got to take charge.
Speaker 2: He's got to like you don't see him be like not getting the ball after a while, Like no, get the guy the ball. He's got to show up every night. It's the only it's the only way they can be where they want to be.
Speaker 1: I took him for MVP. He was my pick for MVP as a sleeper at forty to one, and that that just did not just did not line up with what I was expecting. I also thought he could have a legit to chance to if he didn't win MVP, to be one of the defensive Player of the Year. Cans how he is, that's how he is when he's healthy, and it's just a disappointing first game against really a team that you know you have to go against to get through to the finals. I'm curious about a couple of dudes, though, Why sign someone like Christian Wood and Cam Reddish when those guys have clearly, throughout the course of their career been not locker room cancers, but certainly cultural negatives.
Speaker 2: Because you have Lebron James. I think it's literally it. It's just that's the Lebron James locker room. That's He's going to set the tone. He's not going to put up with guys who aren't focused. So I think there's a sense of like you can get away with that when Lebron's on your team in a way with there maybe a couple other guys in the league, but there's not many who can set that tone. And the other part, especially in Christian well actually both those cases, Christian who's better than a minimum contract player. Yez, whatever I think of him, Like, why I might talk myself out of wanting him on my team.
Speaker 3: He gets buckets.
Speaker 2: He is better than a minimum contract, and if I can get him for a year at the minimum, then I've got to take that because that's still a really good deal. And another guy that, Hey, depending on the situation, you might be able to throw into a trade later as an enticing piece because some other team knows he's more valuable than that too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, I was so high on this Lakers and I don't even like the Lakers as a Portland Trailboizer fan. I was like, man, this to be a team who is like top three in the West, and if you're not getting production out of your team without Lebron on the floor, this this could honestly be a seventh seed.
Speaker 2: Again, I think the West is so bunched up that after look, Denver's Denver Phoenix, not just last night. I just Phoenix is gonna win a ton of regular season games because they have Kevin Durant and Devin Booker and Bradley Beal and they're just they're gonna outscore teams. I think they're one to two in whatever order after that. Three through frankly twelve are teams that think they should be in the playoffs and it's not gonna be this huge difference, and that's what's gonna make the West wild. It's like, I don't have Utah in the playoffs, dude, they still got John Collins and and Laurie marking in and like we're good last year and surprised people.
Speaker 3: The Kings. Everybody's kind of sleeping on the Kings a little bit. I agree, they're gonna score. They're not gonna stop anybody.
Speaker 2: They're gonna score a ton of points and be tough to be Like, so, I think three through out of the post, you know, missing the play in out West is everything's in play for those teams, and the Lakers can't afford to get caught in the middle of that and try to be breaking out mid season because it's gonna be It's gonna be tough. Minnesota's good every and even look, I think the bad teams, Houston.
Speaker 1: Pretty good, pretty good.
Speaker 2: They've got Fred Vanfleet and Dalen Brooks and Jared Jalen Green is gonna be good, and Jabari Junior looked awesome at Summer League. And the Spurs are gonna suck except man Wenby and Devin Bisel are gonna be entertaining and they're gonna win a few games, because like there's just not gonna be off nights in the West, except maybe against Lasers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know it's so bad. We're I don't even really know what that team is doing. I like the Dame trade a lot. Yeah, but I'm very curious why holding on to Malcolm Brogden and Williams are a thing. The only thing that I can think of is that they they're waiting for a team that needs them at the deadline, and they think that they can extract more value from them in January than they can in September. Is that kind of what you think is happening.
Speaker 2: To I might even put Jeremy Grant in that list. Yes, yeah, I think all those guys, look you're rebuilding right now, are on Scoot and Anthony Simons, who are, by the way, going to be entertaining, Like it's gonna be a good show. But I think everybody not those two guys is available. Maybe I'm curious. I'm really curious to see how DeAndre Ayton fits with them and in a system where he gets some of the freedom and touches he wants probably that he wasn't going to get his option number four in Phoenix even last year. I mean, it's just better options than him down there. But you know, hey, he'll get he'll get more looks up there. So they're going to be a fun, interesting team and they're not going to be a pushover. There's you know, I don't think they're the worst team in the league. I was gonna say there is the Wizards.
Speaker 1: Wizards going to be a tough watch too. Ty I love Tyus Jones, So I'm I'm very curious how they're gonna be building that roster. Let's talk about this sixer team though, because they are right on the brink, dude, they are on the brink of a full scale roster meltdown. The only player that I think is safe is Tyrese Maxi. I think everyone else could potentially either both on their own or get kicked out the door. Now, we got James Harden coming back to Philly past opening night and they're like, no, we don't want you traveling with the team. What does that mean, I don't want you traveling with the team. Does that mean that a deal is imminent or does that mean that we don't want you around our players muddying the water and poisoning the well.
Speaker 2: More that more more the distraction, right like, and just if he's there, then is he making things messy and harder and just being just him on the trip and being.
Speaker 3: On the bench, who's going to lead to questions?
Speaker 2: And so I think they think it's just better they go from they play in for people who don't know, they play in Milwaukee opening night, and then uh Toronto two nights later before going back home. I think that he won't play in either of those games. And that doesn't mean I'll just say I doesn't mean.
Speaker 3: To trade as imminent.
Speaker 2: My people I've talked to and people out with closer to the Clippers have been like, the offers the offer. Maybe that changes if they get ten games into the season and think, oh crap, like we got to do maybe then Terrence Man or a second pick or whatever goes.
Speaker 3: Into the deal.
Speaker 2: But right now they've got the Clippers have a lot more to think about too, just because if you trade for James Harden, who's going to be a free agency, you kind of got to lock him up and then you could extend Kawhi Leonard and Paul George a couple of years and hey, do you want more?
Speaker 3: Do you want three more years of those guys as your core?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: So yeah, I just don't think they're that eager. It's there.
Speaker 2: They're walking a weird line because they move into a new building next year, and they're not going to want to move a rebuilding team into a new building. But I don't like the path they're on is not sustainable. So I'm not sure what happens, but they're they're unlikely in the short term to up their offers.
Speaker 3: So the bottom line, it's really fucking up.
Speaker 1: They fucked up letting Shae Yogis Alexander go, and I think that's got to be the most egregiously bad decision an NBA team, in hindsight. Has made a young player not even close to his peak, who's now legit he's a first team All NBA guy, and you let him go because Kawhi wanted Paul George.
Speaker 2: When they let him go, I'll tell you that people with the Clippers were not happy, but they didn't see this. What they said was, man, she's going to be an All Star somebody. He's gonna make a few All Star teams. He's gonna be pretty. He's gonna be good. They didn't see Shae being this good.
Speaker 1: You like the secers this year with Nick Nurse, are you buying into his system?
Speaker 2: I think they're good. I think with or without Harden, I think they're a good team that finishes. I don't even want to say top three, top five, top six for sure in the East.
Speaker 3: Like, I think they're a good team.
Speaker 2: I'm higher on Cleveland than everybody else, but really if yeah, but if if they finished you know, third, fourth, fifth, something like that.
Speaker 3: Maybe you know, I think that that's they're good.
Speaker 2: And I don't want to see them in the playoffs if he beat is healthy, like they're gonna be a tough out. I think tyreech Maxi's gonna be fantastic this year. Like that's a good team. It's just the two teams that if the goal is to win a championship. I don't know what you do because I don't even know with hard What do you think Tristan with Harden, do they compete with Boston and Milwaukee?
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I mean, unless you're getting what you got from Harden in those good games where he's putting up forty. Yeah, but you have to have that every game. You need that. They had the chance to beat Boston, right, and they probably should have if they wouldn't have collassed. So they're they're like close ish. But now you've got another year of Harden declining and he's He's not someone that was ever really reliable in the postseason. Joel Embie's never been healthy in a postseason in his entire career. He's always dealing with something strange or a bone fracture, ankle, knee. It's like a mister, you know, it's like operation over there. And now you have a new coach. I'm just very suspicious in general about the ability for a team to really compete Milwaukee, included with a brand new head coach. I'm moving forward to teams that you're the most excited about, teams that did not make the playoffs last year that you think are legit playoff teams this year.
Speaker 2: We mentioned one. I'm just really high on the Pacers. I think that the Indiana Pacers are taking a step forward. Part of that is Tyrese Haliburton was already kind of taking that step as one of the best passers and facilitators in the league.
Speaker 3: They play fast.
Speaker 2: I thought they underachieved last year, but their offseason edition of Bruce Brown. What they lacked was point of attack, defense and somebody basically who could fill a role like that.
Speaker 3: They've got plenty of shooting. They got Buddy Heal.
Speaker 2: I love Miles Turner, and I may not agree with his self assessment of being a top five center in the league, but he is a very good center.
Speaker 3: I don't know if they make top six or if they get in through.
Speaker 2: The plan, but I think this is a playoff team that's going to surprise a lot of people and continue to surprise a lot of people because they're like never on national television. That's probably the team I'm highest on that missed the playoffs last year.
Speaker 1: Does that mean then that because I actually love him too, because I think they're very deep. Because you've got Jerris Walker.
Speaker 3: Who was looked great.
Speaker 1: He most great at Summer League. Just look like the best, most dominant man on the floor, can do so many different things. He just had that thing that popped off while popped off the court while you watched him. Yeah, and then you add him to a team with already as Miles Turner, and you Obi Toppin and you've got Bennett Matherin taking another step right, and so I'm super excited about them. Is that then meaning that Rick Carlile could maybe win Coach of the Year.
Speaker 3: It's funny.
Speaker 2: I when I was putting up predictions for Coach of the Year and I picked bicker Staff just because I'm again like I'm high on the calves. I thought about it, and I'm like, guys, don't really love Rick Carlisle quickly with the media who votes? So like, even if he does the job and deserves the nomination, deserves the award, Like, how many media members are gonna be like sleep Rick Carlisle give it him that award?
Speaker 1: What do you expect from wemby.
Speaker 3: MVP thirty eight points?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Does that n reasonable?
Speaker 1: I think though he could be an MVP candidate earlier than anyone even imagine.
Speaker 2: I think rookie again, it's the Spurs. They're gonna slow play this. They are not gonna They're not gonna make the big mistake. Too many teams make.
Speaker 3: Of like, hey, this guy's really good, let's jumping in the process. Well, no, let's trades.
Speaker 2: For a bunch of veterans. Let's try to win now, like the Spurs are not going to do that. They're going to take some lumps. But I still think he's eighteen and eight this year is like not out of the question with like two one of the borderline, if not all defensive team level play out of the gate. And that's again with him probably getting some rest nights or nights off. Because the jump from Europe to college, I don't think people could people can really grasp like playing forty games a night, forty games a season, low forties if you count a deep run in the NCAA tournament eighty two game regulars. He said, like the jump is just ridiculous, and the war a terearor is ridiculous. In Europe, you play two games a week. It's just the travel. The travel isn't as bad because you're just traveling around France.
Speaker 3: In his case, if.
Speaker 2: He's going to get some nights off, but that said, by year three, that would I like, that's not crazy, depending on where the team is.
Speaker 1: He's rookie of the Year, do you.
Speaker 2: I did a podcast in a couple of videos up at NBC with Drew Dinsik, who's our betting analyst. Yeah, Andrew Drew's Roy Ward was. Every other bet in this category is dead money. It's just as much as I could try to make a case for why Chet Holmgren might because he's playing more meaningful minutes on a playoff team like we talked about with a thunder and is exactly what they need facing the floor and defense in the paint. Like as good as that is, I still wouldn't bet on it. Like I still I still just think it's it's Wemby's to lose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. Finally, team that did make the playoffs last year that will not make the playoffs this year.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say the Clippers, but Miami's. Miami's a possibility, but it would involve Jimmy. Jimmy Butler's too good if he plays, even as I know he likes to say he has said to you to everyone, playoff Jimmy is not a thing.
Speaker 3: It's not yet. It is like he definitely is better in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: That said, if he feels the pressure like in that, like he can crank it up in the East is in his deep.
Speaker 3: But if he.
Speaker 2: Misses a chunk of games for whatever reason, I mean, you're there, didn't it feel like they built their whole offseason around getting They just expected to get Lillard, and when that didn't happen, they expected to get Drew or somebody else, and nobody fills that gap. And you can sort of replace Gabe and you do get and Max Struce by the way, and who Love Who I Love in Cleveland is a fit. Those aren't like individually huge losses, but together it's just yeah, I can make I could see them falling, but I don't know if they were on the edge of that last year. They were trailing the balls hundering in the fourth quarter of the playing games if I remember that, probably playing a second playing game, so like they came that close last year, So it's possible.
Speaker 3: But I think the Clippers.
Speaker 1: You're right, the Clippers could very easily fall out too.
Speaker 2: That's a team where it could look like one of those bad, old silent movie cars where everything just falls apart, like like absolutely happen to them. The whole wheels could come off this thing.
Speaker 1: All right, before I let you run, give me your finals projection on Day one of the NBA season and your champion.
Speaker 2: The Orlando Magic over the Houston No, I really think it's gonna come from one of four teams. So I went with Boston over Phoenix in the finals. I've got Boston as your champions, and I think they're the one team. By the way, if one team is gonna click, it's all gonna come together. They're gonna win sixty five games in steamroll of the league.
Speaker 3: It's them.
Speaker 2: Like I just I think Boston could be very, very good. But I have Boston beating Phoenix in the finals. If you told me it was either Denver or Milwaukee or in that mix.
Speaker 1: Kurt Elan, thanks so much. It's always a pleasure. We'll have to have you back on more. Lead NBA writer and managing editor nbcsports dot Com. This man is always giving us some nuggets, some facts. We'll have to have you on BENMGM tonight as well soon.
Speaker 3: I look forward to it. Man. Thanks brother, Take care.
Speaker 1: That's all the time that we have for this episode of the Heat Check. Come back Monday. Check out the feed for past episodes. In many episodes that will drop unexpectedly, do not forget to download, subscribe and tell your friends every single one of them, and follow us on SOCIALI add this Heat Checking at trist to Creek on TikTok, Twitter, and Instagram. We'll see you next time.