Speaker 1: Are you leaving? I you wanna way back home?
Speaker 2: Either way, we want to be there.
Speaker 1: Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim, and give us time and a termino and Gabe aid, we want to send you off insta. We wanna welcome you back home. Tell us all about it.
Speaker 2: We scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 3: Malborn?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride?
Speaker 4: Ride?
Speaker 5: Do you need.
Speaker 4: With Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need a ride? This is Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 2: And this is Karen kill Karen, I.
Speaker 4: Don't know why I said Banks.
Speaker 3: We've been watching what we do in the Shadows. That's Matt Barry talks like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I'm practicing my comedic vampire accents just for Halloween. Yeah, putting an umlot every over every vowel. Nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Would you do today, Karen?
Speaker 3: Well, I've been doing some work, you know, working at my job. But just now I went in right before we started recording. I went in to gather up all my beverages because you know, I need several. Yeah, And while that was happening, the male person came I was going to say mail lady, but it sounds contradictory. The mail person came and got out of her truck and walked up to the front door to deliver something which almost never happens, right.
Speaker 2: It's usually ups.
Speaker 3: Gives you a bigger package the mails for your mailbox. But I guess this got mailed, but it was too big to fit in the mailbox. And I didn't realize until she waved to me that I was just standing in my kitchen window staring at her, like watching her go eating eating like cottage cheese, and just staring at her like I like she couldn't see me, and she absolutely could see me, and so she kind of was like hello, because I was like a creep just staring.
Speaker 4: At that kind of a look did you have on your face?
Speaker 2: Do you recall well, knowing me, it was probably.
Speaker 3: A look of consternation or you know what I mean, like a hard stare that I wasn't really aware of. So then I opened my kitchen windows like thank you, so that she didn't think I was a complete Frankenstein, because it was really strange. It was just kind of like watching or walk up and I just forgot people could see me, and happened was.
Speaker 4: The delivery a giant box of watermelon. You said it's a race against time.
Speaker 3: I accidentally bought a container of watermelon, like a just almost like you know, at my grocery store, they have obviously different sides of pre cut fruit, and I got the one that actually is like almost casserole dish sized, okay, because I had friends coming over, so I was like, oh, watermelon's a nice kind of treat or something we never even I left it in the refrigerator forgot to open it, and now I have what seems to be the equivalent of two pounds of watermelons to eat.
Speaker 4: It's funny because and maybe it's because I have pumpkin fever at being fall and coming up on Thanksgiving. I'm just gonna keep mind. And when you said container of watermelon, I really was thinking of like a palette, and I was thinking of full watermelon multiple and that you were eating them like because you didn't want them.
Speaker 3: To go back, Like a palette of full watermelons. That would be quite an investment.
Speaker 4: And one I don't understand. I mean I don't. I'm not anti watermelon, but I've heard that it's pretty much like you're drinking water. There's really not a lot of added correct me if I'm wrong. I know our guest today, Dave is a dietitian.
Speaker 2: Dave knows. Yeah, we will have to go to the as.
Speaker 4: I always confuse that with music history anyway. I similar I think watermelons kind of just like useless really and it's well.
Speaker 3: There's I think watermelon has at least vitamin C in it. Oh, it has something it's good for. We're going to have to ask our guests today. Let's just pull them into this.
Speaker 4: I'm very excited about today's cast oftentimes, and I think I give myself a hard time. Sometimes I get very nervous for our podcast, but that's because we do it. Lucy Goosey, I did you know any if you don't know someone, it's hard to the pressure of having a conversation with a new person while also being as funny as you and I consistently are without fail. Yeah, it's it is kind of a lot of pressure. I was I did podcast recently and there was a quiz involved, and you know, I love trivia, and it was such a weight off my shoulders. What also is a weight off my shoulders? Is when we have someone like today's guest who's a friend and I feel comfortable in person and know them y and as well as podcasting, so a weight is off my shoulders. This is going to be an easy, fun episode. I'm just warning you, Karen, kick your.
Speaker 3: Feet up, Chris, because our guest today has played clubs and colleges all over the country. You might know him from his podcast on the Exactly Right Media channel entitled Waiting for Impact, one of the greatest limited series that we have ever produced here at the Network, but you might also know him from Esquire magazine or his days as a VJ. Please welcome the illustrious David Holmes.
Speaker 5: Karen, Chris, Hi, Hi, Hi. I was gonna say welcome. That wasn't right, and then I got and then then I panicked. I said, but yeah, I do want you to another that I feel very comfortable with the both of you two. I nothing that I've done so far would back that up, but it's true. So I'm very happy to you.
Speaker 2: It'll come in the future.
Speaker 5: I think it will.
Speaker 4: You've backed that up by being one of the only Christmas parties I get invited to as your party. Oh wow, there's that's a hell of a lot of backup right there. You think I'm brushing off Christmas invites willing left and right, Nelly.
Speaker 5: And it's a good party.
Speaker 2: It is, Yes, it is a great one.
Speaker 5: We just reserved our bartender. Oh you got to.
Speaker 4: Get on it early.
Speaker 5: You have to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I want these last minute slouches that don't know what seagram Seltzer looks like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know. Actually last year our bartender brought like an intern and I remember somebody. So do you do you remember this?
Speaker 4: No? I actually do, yes, Okay, So.
Speaker 5: Was somebody who I guess was like, you know, wanted to have some experience because he was going to maybe try and be like a holiday bartender or whatever. And we we were the first Saturday of December. We have I've been on that date since the nineteen nineties. Nobody, nobody touched it so so it's early in the in the season. But anyway, he brought someone along and that person was there and like someone I don't remember who it was, but somebody like ordered a margarita and this guy was like um and just like man gave him like a glass of rum. Wow, like it just it was like he wasn't even like how do I make that, or like, you know, whispering to the guy like yesterday, I do now or whatever. It was just like I think this is a margarita.
Speaker 2: And it was here's the solution, like a.
Speaker 5: Full glass of just dark rum.
Speaker 4: That's hilarious. Well where I come from, yeah, especially if you're in like an intern position where it is safe to ask us questions.
Speaker 5: Why not it's expected really to ask those questions.
Speaker 3: But maybe the practice he was really looking for, which is what he was getting, is how are you as a person going to handle these intensely high pressure margarita situations where yeah, do you remember who the person was who.
Speaker 4: Ordered to remember?
Speaker 5: I can't remember who it was.
Speaker 3: I'd love to know, just to analyze their personality of was there an element of pressure?
Speaker 4: Was there?
Speaker 2: Were they especially beautiful?
Speaker 3: Was something happening where this person like just got blitzed out and couldn't think logically?
Speaker 5: I don't know, Or was it just like a super low pressure like prank show kind of a vibe. Was it like impractical jokers but also like not particularly important jokers? You know, just like here I got this is wrong in a way that's weird. More than funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it explains the cameraman wearing scuba gear in your pool. It's hard to find, Yes, it's hard to find a place to hide those guys sometimes.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, it's coming up, just over a month away already.
Speaker 4: Now that I know it's on the first, I've cleared my schedule.
Speaker 5: It's not the first, the first Saturday.
Speaker 4: The first Saturday, Yes, the first.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's how you do it.
Speaker 4: I've cleared the whole week. It's when I'm talking. Yeah, I have to prepare, pick out a sweater, all that stuff. Good, I'll finally bring a gift this time.
Speaker 5: He's known for his sweaters. I don't think you need to bring a gift.
Speaker 4: Well, something to dip.
Speaker 5: Okay, you can bring.
Speaker 3: As they say in my family, you don't. You don't enter someone's house with both arms hanging.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, that's a good way of so you should come in like upset with them crossed. Is that an option?
Speaker 3: It's fun to walk with your arms, especially into socials, and I spent the entire nineties doing the equivalent of that. Just vibes wise are crossed arms anywhere you went.
Speaker 5: But it is just a heavy foot m h oh. Boy, I was just at a health spot really well. Yeah, So because of Esquire, I uh, sometimes like we're doing like travel as a category is like you know, the posts on the website do well and you know, and they advertise in print and whatever. So it's like a growing especially now, it's a growing kind of segment. And so like pr people for hotels and things like that will sometimes hit me up and say, like, there's a health spot outside of San Diego. Do you want to go spend three days there? And I said yes, and it's you know, and I might you know, I might include it in a traveled roundup that we do, or I might do a piece whatever. I like, I can't promise that, but I can promise that I'll pitch something and whatever. So they offered three days in this health spot and it was for two. It's gonna be me and Ben, but then he ended up having to work, so it was just me and there were like thirty or so people there. Everyone was on like the three day program and it was all like like gals weekends, sure, and like a couple mother daughter pairs and then like a couple or two and me, and it was all like there were million activities all day long, and the meals were all like portion controlled, you know, you have like a caloric allowance and whatever, and like there was wine that you could buy by the bottle, but it was sort of deemphasized and it was nice, but it was a strange few days where I was almost immediately hungry.
Speaker 4: Have you ever done something like that before?
Speaker 5: No, never done anything like that before?
Speaker 4: Yeah, neither did I. And then they come in and they're whipping you with birch branches and.
Speaker 5: Oh no, No, there wasn't anything like that, luckily, but there were there were Like the days started with a hike. There was like sure, you know, it was on a huge plot of land outside of San Diego, and so every morning there was a different hike, Like the first one was fully four miles. I like closed my activity ring at eight, and uh, I was hustling because the conversation behind me was about how woke everything has been.
Speaker 4: That'll make you run?
Speaker 5: If that'll make you fucking really hoof it?
Speaker 3: What if they did it on purpose to keep your face up, They might have.
Speaker 2: Drow some magaheads trail Literally it.
Speaker 5: Was the person behind well, it was a couple, and then like a woman who was in one of the gal's weekend groups, and she was talking about how she just moved to Nashville and I love it. Nobody asked you what your politics are? Nobody, no one has ever been asked what their politics are anywhere in the world, anywhere in the world. And they were also like, do you ever read Barry Weisse?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: I love her. So it was just like run wow. Yeah. So anyway, it was that, and then there was like, you know, yoga and breath work and spin classes and make a bracelet and craft time. I did that.
Speaker 4: This sounds like a lot of work. I thought, you just get hampered. And they massage.
Speaker 5: There were also over the three days like five spa treatments, so a couple of massages, a facial, a leg rejuvenation.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 5: It was pretty ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I like the idea.
Speaker 3: The idea of that is like someone's holding up Dave's leg and like shaving it for waxing it for him or something like these are gonna be totally different legs.
Speaker 5: It was actually even weirder. It was like a power stander, but like with it with like a like a fleece kind of a cover on it. Oh. Like a car waxer almost. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Really they buffed your legs.
Speaker 5: They buffed my legs like the Wizard exactly like that exactly. Yeah, it was, you know whatever. It was nice. Like I don't I don't get massages even like I get nervous during a massage about the time that I'm wasting, the money that I'm spending and all that.
Speaker 2: Kind of thing.
Speaker 5: So so this was a good This was good.
Speaker 2: So this was like a health spa.
Speaker 5: It's like a proper health spot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you were supposed to go there and maybe lose little wait if you were doing it right.
Speaker 5: There were optional weigh ins and way outs and whatever. I opted against them. Yeah, it was you know, it was. It was nice. And you could also like just kind of like fuck off and hang out by the pool all day if you wanted to. I was like, I might as well take advantage of some stuff. There was like a couple who was celebrating their fourth anniversary and they were like the youngest and like coolest looking. So I kept like having meals with them to a point where I was just like, I feel I am ruining your weekend. Like I'm I'm the person who's just like always at your table and you would rather be alone. So I like every meal, I eate, I ate very quickly. But yeah, so but I'm healthy. I feel very healthy. Good having a green juice.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Wow. And they had kraft time, they had you make bracelets, they had craft time.
Speaker 5: There were like five every hour, there were like five different choices of things that you could do. And oh, there's pickleball. If finally played pickleball, do.
Speaker 2: You want to start playing pickleball? I love it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No, I'm going to the Pickleball Exchange and Sino later this week maybe tomorrow afternoon, uh, to pick out a racket.
Speaker 4: I have never heard an ill word about pickleball.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, pickleball is somebody want. People love to play tennis, but it's too hard and it's too detailed and you literally have to have like a coach. There should be an easier way. And then they just figured it out and did it and it is so fun.
Speaker 5: It's really fun and it's a good workout.
Speaker 4: Yes, it is. Yeah, you know because somewhere you're running back and forth and you're not even conscious of it, like.
Speaker 5: You're short sprints, very short sprints in the case. But yeah, I really, I really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed it a very low pressure way to learn what it was. I will say the scoring was like they were telling me about a dream that they had. It's just like the scoring is so weird and complicated, and by the end of it it sort of began to a little bit makes sense.
Speaker 4: Is it as complicated because tennis the love as tennis? It is tennis?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's weird. This is this is slightly weirder because you have to like you have to say the score before you serve. Yeah, and you and the other person are serving, but whoever's on the right is one. It's except for the first time because that time you just say start instead of one. It's it's all.
Speaker 4: Very good time. Whether it's a board game or the rules to a physical game, there's something that is wrong. I get this anxiety when's right when someone starts explaining the rules that I just I'm like, oh, I wonder what it would be like if I didn't retain any of this information and I just scared at someone's mouth while they were talking and didn't really listen. I don't know why I do that to myself, but yeah, it's like, uh, just a little reminder of what it feels like to be dumb. I think that's, yeah, a childhood fear of like, am I not smart? And I do it every time if someone's oh, you want to play a game, No, because I don't want to learn about it, because then you're going to judge me because I will retain it. I don't know what it is about me.
Speaker 5: It's no, it's it's impossible, and you don't want to like slow everyone else down by being like could you repeat that? Yeah or whatever? So yeah, so I just sort of have somebody else like do it for me until I get it. Yeah, you know, like just tell me what to say.
Speaker 3: The irony of that point is that it's like the inverse of that idea for tennis. So it's like if you've always wanted to play tennis but you're you don't know how to grip the racket correctly or whatever, it's like, suddenly you're great at tennis. Yes, because it's a whiffle ball and a different and basically an oversized ping pong paddle, but it's still plays like tennis, but it's not as hard as fast or as specific.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's like very thrilling.
Speaker 3: I've taken tennis lessons before and then just been like I always hold the racket like it's a softball and try to hit it like it's softball, and they're like, no, no, no, it's you have to tilt it or whatever. And pickleball it's like softballized tennis in a whiffle ball format.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's great, and it seems to me, although I'm sure I'm wrong, it seems to me like it's more difficult to take so seriously that you ruin everyone's day. Yeah, you know what I mean. Like I could see a few of the people who were there. I could see them getting a little like competitive and angry at themselves and whatever, which is hilarious in the in the context of pickleball. Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's silly. So like I'm sure there are people who take it away too seriously, but like, yes, I would imagine that there are fewer of them in this particular sport.
Speaker 3: Dave, I will absolutely buy a pickleball. I'll get the equipment and meet you in the morning and play.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 5: Great, great, Okay, I like several of my friends have gotten into it, and so we can, Yeah, we can get a force them together and.
Speaker 4: Get some white shorts. You gotta get white shorts.
Speaker 5: Short white shorts, by the way, Oh absolutely, I am all about the the Paul mescal normal people. Short shorts. Yeah, I've got I've gotten very into like I'm uh like Tom Berenger and I are going for a jog in the big chill like very short shorts.
Speaker 4: Yeah they are. They are coming back. It's it's being enforced now. You can no longer even go mid thigh anymore.
Speaker 5: It has to be it's got to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they got to be Corduroy.
Speaker 5: It's got to be Clinton and Gore on the campaign trail going for a little little morning jog.
Speaker 4: I don't know why I'm not. I do know why I have tiny legs. I am cathless. Cathless, I am cathless. I've done everything I can. Well, not lately, but in the past I've dabbled with calf lifting. Calf lifting they call it, but nothing happens. That's why I don't wear schwarts. If I look down, and let's say I was it was my first day playing pickleball, and I look down and I see my little legs. All confidence escapes me out right out my kneecaps.
Speaker 5: Do you do a full workout pant?
Speaker 4: I wear pants all the time, even golfing. I can't. Anytime I'm looking down, if it's up, if i'm bird watching, all wear short because I'm not going to look down at my damn legs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've never seen any shorts, now that you mention it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no one has. Man, I've taken us down a dead end conversation.
Speaker 2: You're just making statements about your legs. We don't know what to say.
Speaker 3: If we agree with you, it's insulting exact, we argue.
Speaker 4: We're I guess I'm sort of phishing for a What are you talking about, Chris legs?
Speaker 2: We've never seen your legs.
Speaker 5: We haven't ever actually seen your legs.
Speaker 4: That's my point.
Speaker 2: See, I told you.
Speaker 3: See wait, I'm I'm sorry because I had to put the dogs out.
Speaker 2: Were you talking about that?
Speaker 3: Because you're assuming if we play pickleball we have to wear shorts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I'm saying that that's what I will wear is very short shorts. Obscenely short shorts.
Speaker 2: Oh that's the Paul messcal part.
Speaker 4: That's you got to go five inchines same now seven maybe. Yeah, you go to any good short website and it's going to be five or seven inch in seam. I used to be a mid knee guy, but those days are over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's out, that's way out.
Speaker 3: We played when I was in Hawaii, so it was very humid, and we all were wearing our bathing suits underneath the clothes we were wearing because we were we were basically going to play and then jump into the pool, which was right there. I was sweating so much by the end of it. I was just like, this is so embarrassing and weird, because I thought it was just gonna It's like there's a whiffle When a whiffleball is involved, you don't think you're going to break a sweat much less be like pouring sweat. But that's how truly good of a workout it is. Yeah, Is that you literally are like pouring sweat at the.
Speaker 4: End of it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And it's never like I never felt like I gotta sit down, you know, It's somewhere in between, like it's definitely strenuous, but not so much so that you like that you're rung out afterwards, but you definitely, Like you're do you sweat you burned? Yes, you burn calories?
Speaker 4: Do you have to go to a facility? Can you just? Where do you play pickleball? Just tennis courts, okay, already existing because the world when I was young, a racquetball was a huge thing, and there was some giant facilities and then for the last they're all closing now. But even in my hometown there was just these giant buildings with glass partition. And then I really felt bad for oh, for instance, the courthouse and now it's a megachurch. See that's what happens. People. You jump into these sports and then they go extinct. I just I'm glad that pickleball you can just do it in a field if you want.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I mean okay, So I guess tennis courts are being turned into pickleball courts because the lines are slightly different. Oh yeah, it's slightly different. So I was just reading an article about how like the tennis community is furious.
Speaker 2: Oh course they are, because they already were though. That's the thing about the tennis community.
Speaker 5: Yeah, full of people with no sense of humor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it's just it's very elitist. It's just like, sorry, you can't pretend aside from like what the Williams sisters did for tennis needed to happen to tennis because it was literally a one percenter sport pastime.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, Golf the thing I do all the time and feel bad about. Yeah, but also a sport that has changed. We'll talk about needing a facility. Every time I do it, I feel guilty, like, oh, look at this giant waste of water. Well, yeah, gigantic. I'm addicted and I'm enjoying myself. But if you asked me three years ago what I thought of golf, I would only speak out in furious anger, like John McEnroe, who I know is a tennis player, not a yes yes.
Speaker 2: But also the fact that they're changing tennis courts in.
Speaker 3: To pickleball courts just it speaks to the popularity because it's not that different. We were using a tennis court and it was essentially just it's the kind of like inside doubles lines and you had to cut we had to put down other rackets to represent the kitchen part, but it was very workable. It's you know, it just seems like it makes more sense because more people can play pickleball than can play tennis.
Speaker 5: Thank you. A tennis person quoted in this article said that she didn't understand the popularity of pickleball, and then she watched it and she was like, oh, it's for people who want to play tennis but aren't athletes. And it was like, yeah, that's exactly what it is. And I know you think that that's like a burn, but like, no, it isn't. We know that about ourselves and that's why fun.
Speaker 3: And many of them are like older people who used to play tennis and can't anymore. Yes, yeah, and then.
Speaker 2: The people who like I could, but it's like I.
Speaker 3: Truly don't understand the angle that you're supposed to hold the racket at and you have to be not just regular athletic, but tennis is insanely boring unless you are like a tennis like a pro level player. It's like you can't be mediocre and play tennis. It's a waste of time, like just hitting the ned over and over whatever, like having taken it in I took it as a class in college because I wanted to play it and I thought it would be such a good activity to know how to play and then I was just like, this sucks.
Speaker 2: It's just like not fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is difficult.
Speaker 5: We so from like freshman to senior year. Just before senior year of high school, my family moved to a house that had a tennis court in the backyard. And it sounds like we lived in some kind of crazy mansion. It was not, but for whatever reason, like the people who lived in this house built the tennis court in the backyard, and and also it was like not a good house for our family at all, which is why we only lived there for like three years. So I don't really understand why we did, but we did. And I think my I think my mother's thought was like, oh, we'll all start playing tennis because it's right there, and then she like tore a ligament in her knee immediately. Yeah, my brothers went off to college. I was like, I don't really feel like it, and so it just really sat like years went by when we just did not go out there with a racket at all, because why would you, Like, you know, hitting against a garage door is one thing that's kind of fun. It will come back and it's fun.
Speaker 4: I do like doing that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's fun. But like in a tennis court unless you can get somebody to come and play with you, which when you're like sixteen and don't play tennis is hard. So yeah, anyway, it was a huge waste and we nothing.
Speaker 4: Nothing's lonelier than that single guy in the tennis for trying to hit to himself. The loneliness of the single tennis player push an empty swing.
Speaker 2: Dave, do you know what you're going to be for Halloween this year?
Speaker 5: Okay, here's here's let me. I'm gonna I'm gonna workshop this.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is the place. This is You have no idea, but this is the place.
Speaker 2: To workshop this.
Speaker 5: First of all, I hate dressing up. Same but okay, do you remember in the seventies when if you wanted to be C three po and your parents were not going to help you make like a proper bespoke C three po outfit, what you did was you went to the drug store and there was a box that costs like two dollars and it had a C three po mask, right, yeah, and so that that would be like gold and very very sharp plastic that would immediately start to like break and and like give you Yeah, of course, tiny cuts around your eyes yeah. And then then instead of a C three PO like suit, it would be essentially like a plastic smock. Yeah, also with a picture of C three po on it.
Speaker 4: Just printed onto a paper, Yeah, a plastic bag basically. Yeah, not form fitting at all.
Speaker 5: No, yep, your face is secrepo and your torso is like C three po going like hey, like doing shruggy arms. Yeah, and then a Star Wars logo and that was your costume and that was.
Speaker 4: In the back of your head. It's just a hair and there's a rubber band because the mask is just held on with weak elastic and two stables. Yeah, I'm familiar.
Speaker 5: So what I'm thinking about doing is that but Scott.
Speaker 4: Con so like James Conn's son.
Speaker 5: Yeah, getting like a like printing a Scott Con mask on like poster board, having like a rubber band around the head, and then an oversized T shirt which I would have airbrushed with like a picture of Scott Con, you know, as whatever his character's name is in boiler room. And then it's like, oh, I found my Scotts, my Scott con costume from first grade. I'm just gonna wear it again. And that's that I think is gonna be my costume.
Speaker 3: Scott con costume in first grade when he was also in first one.
Speaker 5: When he was also in first grade.
Speaker 4: Yeah that yeah, that is that is what a seventies a version of him before he was born.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but but like fully from the movie boiler Room. And then like a quote from his character in boiler Room on the back which I don't know any but it would be like, hey, we gotta go trade those stocks or whatever, or like hey fuck you, I'm I'm a stockbroker or what some kind of a line from that verius I was riffing.
Speaker 4: That's like my dinner with Andre lunchbox from Waiting for Guy, just very specific. Why is that specific? Because we haven't heard from him lately, That's why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's on isn't he on Hawaii five O or whatever? He's on one of those kinds of shows.
Speaker 5: Yeah, which is either still on the air or has been off the air for ten.
Speaker 4: Years exactly, which, just like Bhones, you never know, Bones could be on for another ten years, we would never know. I think Never is one of the longest running shows ever, right or maybe there it's done at the.
Speaker 5: Health Spot when I was at like again, yeah, it was it was like the order a half hour before dinner, and I was like, I had no one to talk to. I was like, I was so tired of like bothering this couple and uh. And so there was like a USA Today from three days ago. I was like, oh, terrific, let me catch up on the purple section and uh. And it was marg Helgenberger reprising her role from CSI in the new show c s I Vegas, which I thought that cs I was always in Vegas, ye, And I didn't know that Mark Helgenberger was no longer a part of that show. But it was a long Q and A with her about why she decided to come back to the show and you know, like how her wardrobe is different now and you know, and how the characters in a kind of a new stage of life and so she's making new decisions and I was like, wow, yeah, that's but I truly I just assumed that that show had always been on and that she had always been a part of it.
Speaker 3: That's such a perfect USA Today update, Like that's exactly the information USA Today has for the USA.
Speaker 5: Yes, in the four page life section, Like it's truly, It's just it's just one giant sheet that's like one, two, three, four.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's as relaxing as a massage exactly.
Speaker 5: It is such a wonderful thing to pretend to read while you bide your time before you get a small portion of salmon for dinner.
Speaker 3: I had a Mark Helgenberger anecdote, and the only reason I was going to tell you about it is because it involves Kate Schellenbach, who was the original drummer of the Beast Boys and the drummer for Luscius Jackson, who is now a television producer. And I used to work with her when I worked on Ellen, and she at the time was in the research department, and she those researchers had to like they had like so many celebrities that they had to research all day every day, and it would drive them insane because they had to read that.
Speaker 2: That's the job.
Speaker 3: You go and read every article about whatever celebrity is going to be on and then you have to like parse all that information, put a packet together and be like this is everything you need to know. And so all of the researchers would go like a little insane when they had to research certain people, right, because they just be like and so Kate had to research Mark Helgenberg and couldn't stop just yelling the name marg Helgenberger everywhere she went, and it became this weird kind of Colin response where it'd be like, Mark Helgenberger, She's so not worth telling that, but it's fun to talk about the fact that Kate Schellenbach transitioned from a very lucrative and successful music career to a very lucrative and successful television career.
Speaker 2: I just love that.
Speaker 5: And Mark Heltenberger was the gateway between.
Speaker 2: And he made it happen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I okay. In the Larry Sanders Show, there is a moment where the talent persons has studied up on a person and gives the wrong note, gives that note to Larry Sanders and he's like interviewing Nicolette Sheridan, but it's the notes for Tory spelling, and she sees it on the monitor and she realizes what she's done and she just goes cop fuck. And that is my favorite like swear word of all time. Cock fuck. Okay, So long ago, I was at the Lulu's I want to say on Beverly Yeah, yeah, yes, it was like it was like a breakfast a lunch place. It's not there. Ye showed me crazy. I used to love a good old scramble there. But I was. I was sitting there having breakfast or lunch, and Scott con was also there. And then and and then somebody he got a call. And then somebody pulled up like and parked at one of the spaces near it, and Scott con pulled cash out of his pocket and was like and like counted out a bunch of twenties and the car. Yeah, went into this person's car and sat in the in the passenger seat and like plain a day, like head of the person the money, and that person was like m and counted it off and like Scott Cohn got something back and was like shook a person's hand. Yeah. I mean it was just like the most out I mean what it's to me looked like the most out in the open like drug deal of all time.
Speaker 4: Maybe he's a polo better glory is that non polo?
Speaker 5: Right? Yeah? By the way, do you know you can just go up and watch Polo at that Santa Barbara? Uh, like Polo field on the way up to Santa Barbara.
Speaker 4: I really I think that's where I had polo lessons once.
Speaker 5: Oh really, yeah.
Speaker 2: Are they serious?
Speaker 4: It was more I wanted to learn how to ride a horse because I feel bad that I'm from Montana and i've I've never had touched a horse. I mean, I've petted horses, but I've never gotten up on their back and I and it was just fun. I've talked about this on this podcast too. But the horse was so well trained at trying to teach humans to play polo that he would like kick the ball for me. Oh, good job, that was all you, sir. But it was I was like, it's very hard to hit with a mound like a long mountain. Yeah, it looks, but the horse, Yeah, the horse was great at polo. Yeah, I think that is. Yeah, it's very near Malibu. It was in the mountains.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is like almost all the way up to Santa Barbara. If you're going north on the one O one, it's on the right, yep. And and it looks like you wouldn't be able to just drive in and watch a match, but you can't. You totally opened to the public. It's open to the public, and Prince Harry is playing polo. Now you can like go and see him play polo. Oh, I have done this.
Speaker 2: It's you've done that.
Speaker 5: I've done it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that doesn't seem safe for Prince Harry. Do you think we've we've got to have some people up in the trees or whatever, right.
Speaker 5: There's security around, Yeah, yeah, but everyone gets very dressy and at halftime or whatever it's called, and walk out onto the field and you stomp the divots back in. Well, bits of earth have been have been pulled up, and so you go out and you stop them, and then you go back to your seat in your fancy clothes.
Speaker 3: These things because I remember working for some comedy show and having to write jokes because there were celebrities that had gone to a polo match back east and so have for whatever reason, I had to go through and look at it and write jokes about it. And it brings up a feeling in me. And I think it's because I grew up in Sonoma County, which was all cows, and we were right next to Marin County, which is one of the richest concentrations of human beings on the planet, or at least in America, and that feeling of like if we had to go to Marinn for some reason, you always just felt like you don't belong, you're poor, and get out of here. Was always the vibe and looking through those pictures where it's just like like that idea of wanting to go and be around that it, I would never want to. I would feel so bad in the parking lot. I would feel bad every moment I was there. I would feel it would become this Like I just think that is fascinating, where like that aspirational aspect for some people is so alluring and for me it's just like, oh it makes me feel terrible.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm in between. I don't aspire to it at all, Like I don't like, I don't want to be one of these like fancies. And that's actually what makes it fun is that there are all of these people around who are like super dressed and like trying to you know, trying to network and whatever. And that's that to me is really fun to watch. Plus it's just like it's kind of a cool sport, you know, like it's interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how watching Horace's play a sport is cool?
Speaker 5: It is kind of cool. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's the thing. I didn't you hear about Malibu and you think surfing or you think of that Ortney Love song, of course, but I right away there's like an equestrian I think it's now a quick silver surf shop, but there used to be like an equestrian like feed store right along the pch there, and I always wondered why. And then you go into what is Malibu and you think it's going to be rich people homes which are in the mountains or right by the beach, but in the middle it's like farm community. Like it is pretty much both those things happening.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's really Malibu is not if you've never been there, it's not what you think it's going to be. It's like lots of animals.
Speaker 3: To have horses is so wildly expensive, like you can't, no, you can't casually. I remember trying to convince my mom to get me a horse when I was like ten years old, because I was like, I will beat it every day and we could keep it aunt jeans or whatever. She was like, do you understand how expensive like food, training, equipment, like all of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, anything is yeah, yeah, you got to buy a trailer. It's like getting into water skiing. Also buy a boat.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you can't just casually do it.
Speaker 5: So I actually have a niece who's who's trying to do that now. My youngest niece is trying it. Wants a horse real bad. Yeah, and uh and she like does ride and whatever.
Speaker 3: Like my.
Speaker 5: We were sort of like we grew up middle class, but but my brothers and I all went to like fancy schools kinda so we were you know, we weren't like poor, and we weren't like visibly that much less wealthy than anyone else, but like there there were you know, we were with like the families of Saint Louis.
Speaker 6: Which he gives a ship and so school that sounds fancy, Villa, say it Villa and see I'm not fair.
Speaker 4: I'm a country man.
Speaker 5: Yeah that was. Yeah. After at seventh grade it became an all girls school and the boys went off to to Prairie. It was it was known as Villa, and like I still don't understand how they managed to not be called VD Girls School. And the initials are VD, and that's what we called it in the eighties, was VD, like it's SDDS now, but it was VD in the eighties. Yes, and I don't. I don't know how we never made that connection that that's good pr work to maybe now, I mean it's but also unbelievably cruel in the manner of teenagers, you know what I mean, I think somebody would have gotten there. So yeah, So now I think my oldest brother is going through that like he you know, is he's doing well and the kids are going to good schools. And I think the youngest daughter is like, of course to complete the fantasy. But like, no, the ship is too expensive.
Speaker 2: It's so expensive.
Speaker 4: Is that a sibling of your uh, notorious p I g owning that?
Speaker 5: Different? Different brother? Yeah, different brother. My nephew has a restaurant in Missoula, a duo actually restaurants. Yeah, in Missoula barbecue place. It's called Notorious p Ig.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's and it's everyone loves it. Everyone loves him. He's part of the community. Was he from Missoula?
Speaker 5: No, but but the like he went up there a lot. My my brother took him up there a lot because he like really took to fishing, and so he was like this like fly fishing savants, like yeah, like it like became a guide very young and uh and would like spend summers up there and that kind of thing, and so that part of the world like spoke to him and he went to school there and decided to stay. And his brother has now done the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that riding a horse and fly fishing two things that Missoula is famous for, and I had never done either. And but everyone that was moving there that I like Matt and college, they were there because of those things or exactly, and I cannot maybe I appreciate.
Speaker 5: It would go nuts fly fishing. I would have anxiety immediately, just like the quiet and and just like the commitment, the time commitment of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like just.
Speaker 5: The idea of it. I can't sit with it. I'm gonna have to do it at some point in my life. You're gonna have There are too many people in my family who love it that like it's it's amazing that I've gotten away with it as long as I have.
Speaker 4: But yeah, yeah, you just can't anything that requires ahead of time. They warn you that you have to be patient.
Speaker 5: It's not for me, No, absolutely, not, absolutely.
Speaker 3: It feels like it's the kind of activity that I like that we have several themes on the show Scot con activities, elite to activities sources. But it feels like the kind of thing where like it's like if you are like a high pressure like a stock broker or like you know what I mean, like you're on the stock exchange, that's your vacation because you need this huge change. Yes, Whereas like I feel like the lives that we very intentionally chose for ourselves are like kind of fun based lives anyway, So it's almost like going and then being sent.
Speaker 2: To a river by yourself for us would be.
Speaker 3: Punishment, but for the average like you know, cardiac surgeon, it just be like get me out of here. That's their way of like you know, yeah, that's their Vegas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I that's great, but yeah no, the idea of like that much time with my thoughts is like that's I can't. I can't do it.
Speaker 3: I do have a story about fly fishing, but it's going to be a bummer.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 3: A friend of my cousins who is also a huge equestrian. In fact, my cousin, Stevie rode dressage and was like sponsored by a very rich family and basically my sister told me it called me recently like this.
Speaker 2: Year in this year, she goes, did you know Stevie was the national champion? And I was like, ahead's what.
Speaker 3: We never We always saw his like blue ribbons and stuff. But it was so such a reflection of the way our families worked and the way things worked. But it was just like he went off because he was so good at that kind of horse riding and was like a champion, and nobody in the family knew that for a fact, and.
Speaker 2: He never talked about it.
Speaker 3: Then he just like stopped doing it and went to cow Poly and like you know, went on with his adult life. But like just recently, my sister's like, because we knew he did it, and we knew he was good at it, but we didn't know he was like the he was number one in the nation for a while. Wow, and I think he was like an alternate for the Olympic team. Anyway, that wasn't the story, and we can cut that out if necessary.
Speaker 2: But he has a.
Speaker 3: Friend and so he told us the story and it's it's a real cringer, but kind of great. He has a friend who's super rich and went on vacation, and his vacation it was like they got helicoptered into this part of very remote Canada to go to like the best fly fishing space or whatever. Right, So it's like, so they're in a very remote area, they're at this.
Speaker 2: River, they start fly fishing. This is the bad part.
Speaker 3: So if you're a squeamish type of person, you don't want to hear about stuff like this.
Speaker 2: Get go away for a while.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, no, not the gush.
Speaker 3: He's fly fishing and because that's the one where you have to like cast out right and your little fake.
Speaker 2: Fly is on the water right and you.
Speaker 4: Sorry, eyelid, what I.
Speaker 5: Was afraid of? Yep, but I thought certainly she wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Oh she did, she would, and she did.
Speaker 5: And how he's fine.
Speaker 2: Everything's fine, and he's fine, and it was.
Speaker 3: But basically they had to figure out how to get back out, to get him to like a hospital and the whole thing whatever.
Speaker 2: Where It's like to me when he was.
Speaker 3: In probably his early forties i think at the time, so he's a you know, grown adult, But it was like, that's the kind of thing where I'm always thinking of that. I remember hearing that story, and then it's just like you got to think about the exit if the entrance is that involved where you have to hire like and schedule the ride, then anything could happen once you're out there.
Speaker 5: Of course, yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 2: That's worst case.
Speaker 4: But and it's always what I think of ever since I first saw fishing, because they're when they're casting, they're just they're doing all these actus whips. That's probably not what it's called. But each time you're trying to get the time I caught a fish, well, because I have fly fished a couple of times, I just let the thing rest on the water, and you're not supposed to do that, and a fish jumped up and got it. Anyway, you're supposed to have it like drift over the water just like one inch in the same spot and taunt them until they leap out of the water. The lazy version is letting it just sit on the surface. But meanwhile, I'm like, what if everyone stay far away from me, I don't know where I'll be whipping this hook right? Of course, a lip or an eyelid, of course, Oh my god.
Speaker 5: Well, at least it wasn't like the eye.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 5: That's worse. Yeah, okay, scenario, but that's I lit is a pretty bad case scenario, terrible.
Speaker 4: The silver lining there is fish. I don't think human eyes are delicious they were.
Speaker 5: Love, sure they do.
Speaker 4: I'm sure they just whip above the water. Yeah, me. Right.
Speaker 5: In the nineties, when I was in New York, like my first like New York boyfriend was very fancy and was from like the Philadelphia area, and he had a cousin who who was like nationally ranked in dressage or so. So we would go and it's very fancy, and so we would go and see her sometimes if she was like doing a thing that was near us, and I maybe it was just this particular team or her whatever, her people or whatever. I found it to be such an unholy mix of like rich conservative ass holes and gay men because because like the people, like the horse groomers were always there and they were like these like this species of gay man that I had never seen, who were like you know, real ended horse grooming or whatever. There was a couple that that like did this girl's horse and whatever and like and that very can servative, wealthy family. Like they were all close, but like you know, they were referred to as like the boys, but like not you know, not in a way that was like.
Speaker 3: Because yeah, yeah, they're not allowed to call them the help. That's why they called them the boy.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, and it's like they're not men really, so like yeah, it was uh, it was that kind of thing, and that made me like super uncomfortable. That was a world that I was like, I don't I don't think I want to. I don't want to intersect with this world.
Speaker 4: No again, And I I think I think I'm right. Where the horse is like kind of dancing. You're like dancing and trotting, and is it like a dance performance with a horse.
Speaker 5: Jumping?
Speaker 2: It's jumping.
Speaker 3: So drissage is the one where they jump over like the fake hedges and the white fence looking things and stuff in a ring. Sorry, my cousin Stevie did cross country where it's dressage out in the countryside, so you're never in a it's not in an arena. You have to go to people's ranches or gigantic estates and they basically is like they started way back there and you stand at one point to be there to see and they're basically it's the most natural, like in nature version of dressage where it's like they actually ride this horse through a track in the countryside.
Speaker 4: And have them jump over fences and not limbo bars.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, it's I mean, it's the kind of thing where it's like it is so.
Speaker 2: It's it is a complete lead. It's like polo tennis.
Speaker 3: All of these horse sports, these are all things that are only for rich people. Yeah, or like have been have been in the past.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I always like any any like horse back riding I've ever done, I just feel bad, Yes, Like I just always feel like this horse would rather be doing something else. You know. The idea of like a broken horse is so heartbreaking to me, the idea of just like I don't even have a will anymore, but like maybe there's a dream and a memory somewhere deep in there that's like I could run free, but now I can't. Like when it's a pony rides at the farmers market a boulevard and they're just like they're just shamed up and joyless, and the kid on their back doesn't even care.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just it's it's just like an elephant at a circus. Yeah, it's just zoo.
Speaker 5: There's a little there's a little at the farmer's market on Sunday, mornings on Venture Place in Studio City. There's a little train and it's not even really a train. It's just like a little tiny it's like a truck, but it's shaped like a train and it takes.
Speaker 4: Block and disappointing trains.
Speaker 5: No, it's very disappointing train.
Speaker 4: It's got tires, yes, yeah.
Speaker 5: And I was there a couple of weeks ago and the train had like one solitary kid in it and I was like this, I'm in heaven. And the kid was just like I don't want to be doing this. The driver didn't want to be doing it. It was just like it was such a fucking chore for you both. And I was like, oh, this is this is a gift.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, than solo pickleball person. That's just the one person in the train.
Speaker 3: Because it's also because it's a child.
Speaker 4: Shots at the last car to the caboose.
Speaker 5: It had to be right, no, right in the middle, right in the middle, a sensible middle.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, why not? Other people might show up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, once it's in motion, I don't really but but you know, the kid was too young to be self conscious about being alone on a thing, which like after a round age twelve, it's like, Oh, everyone's looking at me and they don't think I have any friends and I can yeah, yeah, do this.
Speaker 2: You know what's funny.
Speaker 3: My niece, who is an only child, used to have to do stuff by herself, and I would get so much like secondhand vicarious self consciousness, or she doesn't like this, she's unhappy.
Speaker 2: I did it. But there aren't those kids.
Speaker 3: And maybe like when you're an only child or whatever where just like, yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 2: I don't care like she.
Speaker 3: My sister and I definitely had many of the same neurosis watching my niece grow up. My sister and I would just be like, look at her, she doesn't have any of our problems. Like she would just go and stand and you know, wait around for the pony and then it'd be her turn and she'd just be like this is great, and it would it's like they don't know the difference.
Speaker 5: I love that guy. That's magical. There was a kid in my in my class in high school who I will never forget. This is good Derek. And my friend Ned and I were talking to him and we're like, what did you do over the weekend? And he was like, I went to whatever, see whatever movie and we're like who with and he was like I just went by myself, and we were like like what, like like did you like what if you saw people like I just went to movies and so like as ned and I walked away ned like WHI was springing in my ear. I didn't even go to Blockbuster Video alone, so I either like just because at that at like sixteen, the idea of being like spotted alone, Yeah, people will talk about you.
Speaker 4: Yeah. When I was a kid, I was alone all the time. I had an imaginary friend. His name was Chuck, and I remember being very happy. But yeah, once you're in high school, if you're alone.
Speaker 5: The virus of self consciousness, yeah, affects you.
Speaker 4: Oh god, but not some kids. I had a door to door sales job as like coupon books, I think, and I went I recognized a kid from my high school that wasn't that popular, and it was the saddest thing ever. He is in his yard and he had a baseball mit and he was just throwing a ball into the air and then running and catching it. And then I was like, hey, Shannon, and I waved to him and he threw me the ball and I caught it, and then I threw it to him and like went over his fence and into a ditch. And then he is by himself without his ball, and I was like, well, my work here is done. I just made his life even sadder. I will. I think about that all the time. And I visibly flinch because oh, he was like, oh I'm playing with someone, and I'm like, no, I'm just going to get rid of your ball. See you later. Wait. But no, God, no, I just.
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, because there are kids who would.
Speaker 2: Yes, they are like the standard.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of kids were not very nice to Shannon. Uh, And I always noticed that. I hope he's like a brilliant I think he wanted to be an engineer. I hope he's very successful now. But yeah, I took out a baseball threw it in a ditch. Oh god, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Shannon got to be strong to be a male Shannon.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah he was. He was. He could tell he was a big kid.
Speaker 5: Uh. I'm I ask, what are you costuming?
Speaker 4: As I've already just take it. I mean, I I mean it's in the background here. I don't know if you can.
Speaker 5: See a tree, a tree.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a light.
Speaker 5: Are you a desk?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's too hard to see there. I'm a I'm a it's a toilet, and I'm a dead recently deceased Elvis sitting on a toilet, fake Walvis legs. I got the foam. I'm about to carve the Elvis's legs and my legs, of course in white tights, are the are the legs of the toilet. So it's the optical illusion of hey, there's Elvis on a walking toilet monster.
Speaker 5: But you can give Elvis like a sturdy calf just to just so you can like have the experience.
Speaker 4: Right, this is a good way for me to Yeah, I curiously relive my calves through Elvis. They're going to be big, bulbous and vainy. And I got a little carving knife that is specifically for foam rubber. I went to Michael I know you're not supposed to go to Michael's, but God, it was like a wonderland.
Speaker 2: And I what do you mean, well, you're thinking of hobby Lobby.
Speaker 4: Oh, I was at hobby Lobby. That was a test if you're knowledge one. Oh God, and that place is just amazing. I know that every purchase there, they send a dollar to the enforcement of unwanted child being born and all these terrible things and they but oh my god, I love that place so much. And all I befriended all these ladies that were like, they have dollhouse stuff too, and I'm like, I know if I had a great time, but they had everything I needed. I'm very I enjoy crafts and so yes, that is my Elvis dying on a toilet as my cost Wow. And it's really coming along. It was looking pretty grim in the last couple of days. But I have everything I need now. And I don't know how I'm getting any parties. I will have to rent an uber Suv to bring this. It's larger than a real toilet, and they're the legs are larger than Elvis's legs. Everything's a little too big. I don't know how I'm getting anywhere. But I'm going to three parties. One of them is a costume contest, and I am going to win it. It's the most confident I've ever been about anything, and it's very exciting. Yeah, it is. It is to me.
Speaker 2: I'm going to be James Kahn. That's what I've just said.
Speaker 5: Yea perfect couple.
Speaker 2: James Smock during this episode.
Speaker 5: Ye great, James con and the Playboy mansion grotto. Yeah, in nineteen seventy eight, just living.
Speaker 2: Please James James Kahn from The Godfather one great.
Speaker 4: Please tell me, Dave, you really are making this gouty con mask and costume.
Speaker 5: No, I really am.
Speaker 4: That's great. I'm so happy. I think that's a great idea.
Speaker 5: I do need to find somebody who can airbrush T shirts like it turns out I don't live on a boardwalk so like I do.
Speaker 3: Although you live close to a landlocked boardwalk, which is Universal City Walk, there's no way they don't have something like that up there.
Speaker 2: Don't you think they have to?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: I bet they do.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I have good news and bad news. I'm great with an airbrush. Bad news is don't own one. Hard to come by them.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Venice Beach, Yep or Universal City.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay. I I did do a search for T shirt airbrushing in North Hollywood and there was some guy who did it out of his apartment. But he's traveling this week.
Speaker 4: T shirt airbrush expos overseas. Yeah, they like to get together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's going to meet up with the guys talk about airbrush stuff.
Speaker 5: Oh. Also, this has nothing to do with Halloween. But I just want to toot my horn please. In January, and this will be the second time I've done this, I will be in Las Vegas, right. I have a job writing the podium banter for the Gay Porn Awards Nice twenty twenty three Gay Porn Awards Nice, which I also did in twenty twenty just before the world shut down. In twenty one and twenty two they did it remotely and just used my jokes again. So three years in a row, the same jokes. So I'm coming back and I'm gonna I'm gonna I'm gonna change them up ever so slightly.
Speaker 2: That's so exciting.
Speaker 5: It's very cool.
Speaker 4: Are you writing Do you know who you're writing for yet or not yet?
Speaker 5: The the nominees have not been announced, the presenters have not been announced.
Speaker 3: But you know the favorites, I mean, from this past year, people have really been standouts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely, I mean, I yeah, I'm like, I'm keeping my ear to the ground. Great as far as you know, buzz and you know, like who they're putting forward and all that. So yeah, so I will know. Dan van Kirk has for several years written the I had done this for like the the A v Ns, which are like the big Yeah yeah yea, the Straight Porn Awards and also Lesbian Porn Awards. The Gay Porn Awards are just man on man everything else, anything true, that is true, anything straight.
Speaker 4: Man is included in the adult probably because the majority of the audience for Girl and Girl is just straight. Yeah. You would think I don't know that. I'm not looking at the information or have personal knowledge, but I.
Speaker 2: Guess you do. I love the stuff, but that's such a street anyway.
Speaker 5: God, it's weird you No, it's real weird. Yeah, yeah, I'm excited about it.
Speaker 4: That's what a perfect fun writing.
Speaker 5: So dumb, it's so dumb and so much fun. And like the the executive producer at least last time, and I'm sure he's gonna be this way. I like, turned some stuff in and it's like less words, less words, less words. No, these are not these are not.
Speaker 4: Readers basically saying make it easier for yourself, yes.
Speaker 2: And them and the people primarily is there a teleprompter they have to that's amazing.
Speaker 4: How many times are you going to use the word jizz.
Speaker 5: You see, I don't. I don't. I don't like to do that.
Speaker 4: I like to elevate, I know it respectfully.
Speaker 5: Yes, of course, I like to suggest.
Speaker 3: He pretends just oscars and it's just a different topic.
Speaker 2: It's the same. It's the same vibe.
Speaker 5: Oscar vibes, basic vibes, the same basic vibe. Red carpet is you know, very different, but it's the same vibe.
Speaker 2: Is Are you the only writer?
Speaker 5: I am?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, that'll be fun.
Speaker 5: I think Alec Mappa is going to host. He will write his own material.
Speaker 2: Perfect.
Speaker 4: You're not.
Speaker 5: You're not going to tell Alec Mapa what to say. He's going he's got a.
Speaker 2: He couldn't if he wanted to.
Speaker 5: No, yeah, and uh. And then the Avians, I'm not sure they're the same, like Week in Vegas and so you know, who knows.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'll stay, say, go to the set of n CIS Vegas.
Speaker 5: I probably will stop.
Speaker 2: CSI Vegas.
Speaker 3: And CIS and CIS which is the mark Harmon version which I've binged them all.
Speaker 5: I mean, who is more reliably fucking hot than.
Speaker 3: A like since nineteen seventy because he was a college football quarterback.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then it was in summer school.
Speaker 3: Then he was in summer school just excelling at being good looking.
Speaker 4: Some course commercials. Sure, we just know his whole career.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: He on ESPN Classic, they used to show a Battle of the network stars, yeah, and which is amazing. You can see a lot of them on YouTube. But there was one from like eighty four when Mark Harmon was on Sane Elsewhere, and it's like him in a speedo about to do the swim relay and it's like this is there's there's no question that I saw it when it aired, yes, because it just like it. It plucked a string to me that was like yeah, like it's a vague but like serious.
Speaker 4: A memorable riff.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, good.
Speaker 4: Lord he is.
Speaker 3: Mark Harmon's been carrying the concept of show business on his shoulders his entire life, and the idea that like he's one of those people because there's obviously many people, and I think men in particular, when they age and they're no longer hot eyes, they don't handle it well. Yeah right, Mark Harmon is the example of a person who, for whatever gene based reason, he's just never had to deal with it. Like I watched I've watched NCIS a ton every time he shows up on camera. By the way, same haircut as summer school, same haircut as everything.
Speaker 2: It's it's just like this works.
Speaker 3: There's something about his face, the setup of his face that is like, at least for this human being, like this is what works. That's what you want to do to look like old or young whatever. He's it's crazy. He's so lucky.
Speaker 4: He is the top paid television actor. Yeah really yeah, Okay, a little trivia. I don't know of this year, but as of a few years ago when I heard that or made it up, he was.
Speaker 3: Because an NCIS has been on for like sixteen seasons and he's the lead in it. Yeah, I think so they're just like, please come back. Everybody wants to watch you, and.
Speaker 5: Is like, I guess it's like the fact that that's been on forever is like proof that there's hospitals because that because it's like it's the ultimate sh that like it's just on, you know what I mean, Like it's I don't know anyone who would ever be like I have to I'm gonna like there's some n CIS waiting on my my DVR or whatever. It's just like it's on yes, you know, like so like during the day it's you know, Judge Mathis or whatever at the Jiffy loub But then after those clothes and it's prime time, it's just like nursing homes and hospitals and it just TVs where it's like CBS is what's on.
Speaker 3: Mark Harmon walking around with a file in his hand is what's going to get you back to shipshape?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you'll be fucky. Gal who like knows computers will be like, give him a report and somebody will you know, somebody will say enhance and then.
Speaker 4: They'll yeah, a thing that you've never been able to do. See there's blurry security footage. Why don't you bring it from pixelated to clear if we have that's an option that's only made up in TV shows.
Speaker 3: What's also really funny about NCIS being just a decades long hit is that it's about the Navy, the crimes that happen within the Navy.
Speaker 2: That's what's hilarious.
Speaker 3: Exclusively, Dave, is there anything else you want to plug or promote before you go?
Speaker 5: I mean, listen, all ten episodes of Waiting for Impact are there for your binge and pleasure people discovering it all over the world. We're charting in Iceland.
Speaker 2: Yes, is that true?
Speaker 5: That is true. Yeah, it's wid It's such Yeah, it's so it's such a crazy thing because like you know, we you know, it came out at the end of probably around a year ago, and and we you know, we we like promoted it like crazy and and and it like it charted and and it did, you know, it did really well. I'm happy about that. But then like two months later, Yahoo Music did a piece on it and it charted it all over again. What's it like number one all over again? And like and all of these people hit me up on Twitter like I've been fascinated with the story forever, Like where's this podcast been And it's like, well, it's been here for like two or three months, yeah, and like and we have been promoting it, but it's just like everything is so like everything is so siloed right now that you will never reach everybody right.
Speaker 4: Now, you know.
Speaker 3: And that's the fascinating thing about And I think it's the thing we're just starting to discover about podcasts there forever. So it'll happen again. And if anybody in that in that circle. If it comes up again, it'll chart again. Like that's the kind of cool thing. And there is very much a long game to podcasting because it's like you post it and then you just leave it up and see if people can find it, and then if you do another podcast. That's the other thing with limited series too, where they just get this little window to kind of perform. But for like a chat show like this one, it's always on, so you can you like get to a mass.
Speaker 2: People as you go, where it's like a.
Speaker 3: Different you know, it's a different strategy, but overall it's like even if that like the launch ends, it never stops existing, so people get to discover it.
Speaker 2: They'll discover it in five years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a book. It's in the library forever. Yeah, which is yeah, it's really cool and fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And I keep getting these like chart reports from whoever does them, and like and it's and it's like it's always a surprise. Every couple of weeks it'll be like, oh, somebody halfful of people listening in uh Moldova or whatever. Yeah, yeah, And I don't know, I don't know why Moldova just got it, but they got it.
Speaker 2: They got it and they're talking about it. Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 5: So Moldovans get into it waiting for impact. All ten episodes right now. Impress your Moldovan friends.
Speaker 2: It's buzzing in your country.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm yeah, got hot hot buzz. And then I guess otherwise we'll just see me on the pickleball court. Yeah, we'll see my powerful thighs.
Speaker 4: I can't wait to see those shorts so exciting. Wear them to the Christmas party. Just wear those shorts for their Christmas sweater Christmas party?
Speaker 5: Maybe I will because after hours? Yeah, why not?
Speaker 4: We don't have to be in the backyard this year. We can be in the house. Yeah that's exactly Wait, I'm making up rules for your partner.
Speaker 6: I know.
Speaker 2: I'm like, why would you say that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, we can be in the living room right. Good to see you again, buddy, So good to see you.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was so fun day.
Speaker 5: Thank you for being like you.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to Do you Need a Ride? D Buy in a are? This has been an exactly right production.
Speaker 3: Produced by Annalise Nelson, mixed by Edson Troy.
Speaker 2: Our talent booker is Patrick Cotner.
Speaker 4: Theme song by Karen Kilgarrett art work by Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 3: Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d y nar Podcast.
Speaker 4: For more information, go to exactly rightmedia dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you, ooh, you're welcome.