Speaker 1: Good morning, peeps, and welcome to wok F Daily with Meet your Girl Danielle Moody. Recording from Podstream Studios in Times Square.
Speaker 2: Folks, it is.
Speaker 1: Wednesday, and holy shit, right like you come off of the holiday weekend, which I will get to in a moment because if you follow me on Instagram or on Twitter, you saw my tweet about the Juneteenth holiday. But I will get into that in a moment. But my god, did the news cycle decide to pick the fuck up in a very quick way. So there is a lot to get woke to this week, and we'll jump right in. So first off, you know, Monday was a federal holiday for Juneteenth, and folks, let me tell you, I got a lot of mixed fucking feelings about June teenth being made a federal holiday in a country that has banned critical thought in a majority of states, that is rewriting textbooks, that is taking out anything that is integral to understanding the founding of this country. Our racist roots, our racial wealth gap, all of these things are tied up and being able to actually understand history. How the fuck do you give a day off? But people don't really know why they have that day off? And in a majority of states in this country, it has been made illegal. Right, much in the same way that white slave owners didn't want slaves to be able to read, right, because education is fundamental to your liberation. Right, So you saying the same tactics that their white slave holding ancestors did have made it illegal for young people to be able to actualize critical thought in any real way and use that to better understand why we have such persistent and unrelenting racism in this country. But we're gonna give motherfuckers a day off. And I guarantee you that if you asked at least five people in your social circle.
Speaker 2: What is June teenth?
Speaker 1: Why do you have the day off? A majority of those people would have no idea.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It's about something black. Well.
Speaker 1: Juneteenth is actually America's real Independence Day because it is the time when all people in this country were liberated from chattel slavery. How the fuck you celebrate Independence Day while there were people in shackles?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But what pisses me off about the Juneteenth holiday is that instead of providing justice or actual police reform, after we all watched and bore witness to George Floyd being suffocated to death for close to nine minutes, right, instead of actually doing something about every single fucking sea to shining sea, bad fucking police department in this country, we just were thrown a federal holiday. That's how Juneteenth became a federal holiday. We can't get a report done on what reparations would look like in this country for all.
Speaker 2: Of the extracted free labor.
Speaker 1: That then followed was followed by Jim Crow, was followed by redlining, was followed by every single economic deterrent that would be available to provide economic mobility to the black community. But you want to give us June teenth ice cream? Give me a fucking break. So those are my thoughts about Juneteenth, And what I said in my tweet was this, I take issue with Juneteenth being a federal holiday in a country that has banned critical thought in a majority of its states. I take issue with white Americans who hold racism and privilege in their bones, being given a day off to luxuriate in their ignorance. I take issue with a nation that would provide a federal holiday after the World War witness to the murder of a black man on video for close to nine minutes but not provide justice through real police reform. America could do better, but I often wonder if it ever will. You know, it's a tricky place sometimes to be in to try and fight for a nation that does not fight for you, To try and fight for liberation that your ancestors were beaten, raped, suffocated, tortured and murdered for trying to access it is tricky. And I will tell you that for me, I spent Monday Juneteenth in deep reflection. I also spent it in deep rest. I realized that I don't often when I say that I'm taking time off, I actually don't really take time off. That I'm always doing something. I'm always researching something. I'm always, you know, trying to piece together the next story, the next conversation, the next set of guests, you know, to interview.
Speaker 2: I'm never just being.
Speaker 1: And so on Juneteenth, I decided to just be right, no plans, no barbecues, no gatherings, just with myself, with my thoughts, looking up at the clouds and my flowers, and just sitting in the sunshine and just being. And I felt that on that day it was probably the most glorious act of resistance I've ever done. And I say that as somebody who has dedicated their lives to work in policy, to work on Capitol Hill, to be a teacher in the classroom, to work to better our environment, to you know, do whatever it is that I can to bend the arc right, to bend the arc towards justice.
Speaker 2: And I will tell you.
Speaker 1: That, as a black woman, as a black queer woman, as a black queer woman that is a child of immigrants, to sit and do nothing but luxuriate in my skin. Right, pour some rose, eat some oysters was probably the biggest act of defiance that I could do. Because white mainstream society doesn't want me to rest right. They either want me to die of hustle culture right, hustling to close a racial wealth gap that they created through racist and discriminatory policies, but dangle carrots in front of me that make me believe that at one time or another I'll be able to catch up to wealth that has been purposefully extracted. Right, capitalism was built literally on the backs of black people and continuing to toil away in a system that protects right, the technocrats and you know, and the top one percent, while the rest of us are told that we can make it, we just need to work hard. Rest is our biggest resistance. Joy right is our biggest weapon. And so that's what I decided to reflect on, you know, for the Juneteenth holiday that I do not believe should be a federal holiday because unless you are willing to really understand what it must have been like to continue to toil away. How many people in Galveston, Texas, how many people enslaved people were killed during those two years when they could have been free.
Speaker 2: Think about that. So shifting gears into the news.
Speaker 1: That came off of the holiday, and where we are, My goodness, my fucking goodness. So Hunter Biden has reached a plea deal after five years, five years of being investigated by Republicans because these investigations started when Jeff Sessions was in charge of the Justice Department, then was handed over to Bill Barr, then was handed over to a Special Council who was a Trump appointee in Delaware. After five years, god knows how much fucking money spent on trying to create a there there right for the fabrications, and by fabrications, I mean boldface fucking lies that the Republicans have been able to grift off of for the last several years with regard to the Biden crime family and Hunter Biden's laptop, and we need to get to the bottom of this. He is pleaded out and there were two misdemeanor tax charges and he's avoiding prosecution on a separate gun charge. He didn't pay his taxes in twenty seventeen and in twenty eighteen, but has paid his taxes now in full. He did so I believe in either twenty twenty or twenty twenty one. This plea deal that he has is that he needs to remain sober for the next twenty four months. And this was on some very odd gun charge right where he falsified I guess documents, and by falsified, I mean when he went to go buy a gun and it asked the question on there whether you have used drugs?
Speaker 2: Do you use drugs? Are you an addict?
Speaker 1: I have no idea what the form says, but he did not disclose, and for that reason he is being charged. And you know what's funny is that the lawyers that are on television are basically saying that it's kind of a bullshit, trumped up charge. Pun intended because there are many people who lie on their gun forms, right, the purchase forms for a firearm, and because we are a country that is proliferated with guns. You know how many people that you would have to arrest with regard to the charges on the taxes. It would have been tax evasion if he didn't cough up the money that he owed. But he did so five years right of taxpayer dollars of Republican talking points and what do they say now, Oh, this was a sweetheart deal. Oh you know, we're going to continue to get to the bottom of this. When asked by reporters, Kevin McCarthy, when asked by reporters, well, this was a Trump appointee. Are you not trusting the judge that Donald Trump put in place? Well, I mean, do is it thorough? Is it thorough? Like? Nothing will suffice? And that's what Democrats have to get like in their fucking heads. Unless you were gonna throw Hunter Biden in jail or guantanamo and lock them away for the next twenty to thirty years on bullshit suspicion. Republicans are not gonna be happy, right because they've made up a boogeyman in their heads. They've given it the name Hunter Biden because it is a way to deflect from all of the fucking grift that the Trump spawn have done, that the Trump spawns spouses have done, and that Donald Trump himself have done. So there were no indictments, there was nothing major because there was no fucking there there. But once again, to show that, oh, we're not politicizing the office, you play out on bullshit charges that a regular person not with the last name Biden probably wouldn't have faced. And that is what many attorneys are saying that actually this Justice Department went harder on Hunter Biden to give the perception that the Justice Department isn't being weaponized. How the fuck does that make sense? But what does make sense, folks, are all of the things that I've said about Merrick Garland and his salot like pace around investigating Donald Trump. And so what we have learned right as we get past the hoop law and bullshit around Hunter Biden, which of course the Republican Party won't let go of, not now, not ever. So I don't know why again we pretend to have this farce of there being no partisanship, because you are operating by not deciding to investigate Donald Trump at a time when you had the ability to, by slow walking shit by getting a special counsel, you were playing politics.
Speaker 2: And this is.
Speaker 1: New reporting coming from the Washington Post in an article entitled FBI resisted opening probe into Trump's role in January sixth for more than a year subtitle in the DOJ's investigation of January six key Justice officials also quashed an early plan for a task force focused on people in Trump's orbit. This reporting is being done was done by Karrol Leoning and Aaron C. Davis, And so here is what they said, which I you know, my friend Jen Tobb and friend of the show pointed out in a tweet basically vindicating all of us who had talked shit about Merrick Garland because we weren't actually just talking shit to talk shit. That this backs up everything that people have thought right. So quote this is from the piece. Hours after he was sworn in as Attorney General, Merrick Garland and his deputies gathered in a wood paneled conference room in the Justice Department for a private briefing on the investigation he had promised to make his highest priority bringing to justice those responsible for the attack on the US Capitol on January sixth, twenty twenty one. In the two months since the siege, federal agents had conducted seven hundred and nine searches, charged two hundred and seventy eight rioters, and identified eight hundred and eighty five likely suspects, said Michael R. Sh Sherwin, then acting US Attorney for the District of Columbia, taking through a slide presentation. Garland and some of his deputies nodded approvingly at the stats, and the new Attorney General called the progress quote remarkable, according to people in the room, Sherwin's office, with the help of the FBI, was responsible for prosecuting all crimes stemming from January sixth attack. He had made headlines a day after by refusing to rule out the possibility that President Donald Trump himself could be culpable.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 1: We are looking at all actors, not only the people who went into the building, Sherwin said, in response to a reporter's question about Trump. If the evidence fits the elements of a crime, they're going.
Speaker 2: To be charged. Hmmm.
Speaker 1: Interesting. But according to a copy of the briefing document absent from Sherwin's eleven page presentation to Garland on More eleven, twenty twenty one, Just again, two months after, right too much after our Capitol building was up in smoke, was any reference to Trump or his advisors, those who did not go to the Capitol riot but orchestrated events that led to it. A Washington Post investigation found that more than a year. More than a year, folks, would pass before prosecutors and FBI agents jointly embarked on a formal probe of actions directed from the White House to try to steal the election. Even then, according to this Washington Post investigative article, even then, the FBI stopped short of identifying the former president as a focus of that investigation. Here we go, folks, and here is the best part. A wariness of about appearing, partisan institutional caution, and clashes over how much evidence was sufficient to investigate the actions of Trump and those around him all contributed to the slow pace. Garland and the Deputy Attorney General, Lisa Monico charted a cautious course aimed at restoring public trust in the department, while some prosecutors below them chafed, feeling top officials were shying away from looking at evidence of potential crimes by Trump and those close to him. So, folks, here we have it in black and white, and this is a very lengthy article and I encourage you all to check it out in the Washington Post. For more than a year, Merrick Garland the FBI did nothing to investigate the people who orchestrated the mob to enter into our Capitol building. The people write the suits, as Glenn Kershner used to refer to them, the suits.
Speaker 2: Of the operation were let off.
Speaker 1: The hook while Merrick Garland and the FBI would go after the boots on the ground. The people that actually went into the building. Well, here's a logic train for you, is that those people would have never gone into the building had they not been directed to by the President of the United States. Those people would have never been in Washington, DC. Had Donald Trump and his allies not set up this stopped the steal rally, those people would not have been riled up to quote unquote take their country back and to build a gallows to hang the Vice president of the United State dates. Had Donald Trump and his associates not orchestrated between election Day until January sixth, a plan to put in fake electors steal the election, utilize Fox News's platform and microphones in order to broadcast to tens of millions of people that their country was being stolen from them. So, with all of the evidence right that was coming in bit by bit, all of these fucking interviews that they did two months after they would sit on their hands for a fucking year, how does that preserve the institution of the Department of Justice?
Speaker 2: How does that restore faith? How does knowing.
Speaker 1: That there were people inside of that White House for weeks putting together a plan to obstruct our electoral process and steal the election from the American people to give it to Donald Trump. How does not not register on your meter of things that need to be dealt with in order to preserve the integrity of the Department of Justice that, prior to the Biden administration had been weaponized against political enemies by both Jeff's Sessions and Bill Barr, the logic train clearly missed the Department of Justice. Because this article in the Washington Post is absolutely fucking damning. So what Merrick Garland did was play politics by not moving on this investigation so that it wouldn't look like he was playing politics. What folks, I tell you that it wouldn't be then right until June eighth, According to this article. In a separate investigation that was also turned over to the Special Council, Jack Smith, who secured a grand jury indictment against the former president for a mishandling classified documents after leaving office. Essentially, Merrick Garland didn't want to do a goddamn thing about the insurrection. He wanted to have the appearance of taking care of those people that storm the Capitol, but wanting to have no fingerprints on Donald Trump whatsoever, because he thinks that keeping Republicans happy is how you uphold democracy, and that to me makes no fucking sense whatsoever. So we appoint Jack Smith. He gives them these two hefty cases, the Document's case and the January sixth case. We know where we are with the Document's case, And frankly, if I were Donald Trump's lawyers, I would have his mouth sewn shut. But this motherfucker is gonna talk himself into a guilty plea. And what I know to be true, friends, is that if Donald Trump had just shut the fuck up, because it's free, if he had just shut the fuck up given back the documents. If he had shut the fuck up about continuing to lie about the election being stolen, he would have given Merrick Garland the cover to just allow this to fade into the consciousness of America, just allow it to just go away. But because Donald Trump can't once again shut the fuck up. And in an interview that has gone viral now in clips with Brett bher from Fox News, it is the first time I believe that anyone from Fox has interviewed Donald Trump with any type of temerity. Brett Bhaer might have been the best interviewer thus far of Donald Trump. Why because one, we know that Donald Trump doesn't prepare for anything, but he's sure as hell wasn't prepared for Brett bhar to talk about all of the quote unquote good people that Donald Trump has all surrounded himself with who are either running against him or have said that he's in danger to society or have said that he's not backing them. It was person after person, your secretary of Defense, your former attorney general, your US ambassador, you're Vice President of the United States, you're former chief of staff, your former press secretary. He just brought every single receipt and Donald Trump looked dumb. And then when Donald trum I've tried to say once again on Fox, who, by the way, had to pay out dominion voting systems close to a billion dollars because of pushing the election lie. When Donald Trump said once again that the election had been stolen from him, Brett Baer said, no, it hasn't. It's been investigated. You lost. I think this might be the first time ever, right that Fox has actually done what the fuck they should have done in the beginning. Now, look, I will give credit where credit is due. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. So Brett Bhar came with the receipts that apparently CNN left at home right when they interviewed Donald Trump for his bullshit town hall, basically just a campaign press stop. He actually came prepared and ready, and Donald Trump continued to talk himself into a prison cell. When asked by Brett bare so, why didn't you just return the documents like you were asked multiple times? It's been over two years, Donald Trump says, Well, I had, you know, golf shorts and golf shirts and newspaper clippings and all of this other stuff mixed up with classified top secret documents. Doesn't seem safe. Oh, I wanted to look through all those boxes. So again, your lawyers being able to say that you didn't know what was in the contents of these boxes, by the way, which the prosecution does.
Speaker 2: Not have to prove.
Speaker 1: But Donald Trump just keeps talking, and everything that he's saying will be admissible in court because it is public knowledge now because he can't shut the fuck up. It is just, folks, a wild place that we are in. You know, the Republican Party is working overtime to twist themselves into not to try and compare how Hunter Biden is being treated vers how Donald Trump is being treated. And if you are a person that follows facts, which means that you wouldn't have an R after your name, you wouldn't be a Republican, you would recognize that the Department of Justice did actually play politics in both cases, with Hunter Biden, far lesser charges right misdemeanors. He paid his taxes, his back taxes right in full. He took responsibility, he pled guilty right, and he's facing a penalty for it. But a majority of Americans wouldn't have been charged. But because his last name is Biden, and they didn't want to make it seem like they were giving him a slap on the wrist. They charged him for what most Americans would get off with. Now in the case of Donald Trump, where most Americans would have already been under a jail cell for the shit that Donald Trump has done. The Justice Department worked over time to try and prevent these cases from seeing the light of day because they didn't want to be perceived as being partisan. So what we would have been convicted of ten times over, Donald Trump gets escaped by but because I'll say it for the last time, he can't shut the fuck up, they had no choice but to bring charges. So either way you look at this, the Department of Justice doesn't look good. They don't look like they're actually doing their jobs and following the law. For as the law presents itself, it looks like they are indeed playing politics. The politics just happened to favor the squeakiest wheel, which is the Republican Party. Make it make sense, Make it make sense, all right, folks. That is it for me on this woke Wednesday. As always, dear friends, power to the people and to all the people.
Speaker 2: Power, get woke and stay woke as fuck,