Speaker 1: Welcome to another episode of Strictly Business, the podcast in which we speak with some of the brightest minds working in the media business today. I'm Andrew Wallenstein with Variety Intelligence Platform. Lots of interesting developments in the video game business lately, which makes the timing of this month's special report from Variety Intelligence Platform on the state of the industry especially good timing. On this episode, we'll talk with the author of the report, my colleague Corey Erickson, who will tackle all the biggest issues currently at play in the world of video games. Stick around and we are back with Corey Erickson, author of a new report from Variety Intelligence Platform on the state of the industry. Corey plenty to get to.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Given there's been a lot of activity in the past few months, I would say we'd be remiss in not starting with some pretty earth shattering news that came in a few weeks ago with the move of Grand Theft Auto six. Why does this matter so much?
Speaker 2: This matters so much because this is a game that has essentially been in the works for over a decade, you know, from inception to this home stretch last year of the game's production. It comes from Rockstar, a label to Take two Interactive and the last iteration of the game. Grand Theft Auto five, despite being released in twenty thirteen, is still going strong through its Grand Theft Auto Online mode. You know, this is a game that is one of the biggest live services. It's up there with Fortnite, Roadblocks Minecraft, but it's also as much of a Triple A single player experience. So this game alone encapsulates, you know, pretty much every corner of the Triple A console market at a time when the Triple A industry isn't doing so well. There's been a tremendous amount of layoffs over the past two years. Last year alone was more than fourteen thousand, and it's get taking longer and getting a lot more expensive to maintain, you know, a fresh pipeline of Triple A games, while also you know, the price points of these games are going up, you know, even further than they have before. We know, Nintendo Switch To is coming out in June, and you know their flagship Mario Kart title for that has gone up to eighty dollars as a price point, which is sort of a new normal for the industry after going up to seventy dollars four years ago, So all the speculation about Grand Theft out of six, you know what it's going to cost, that still has to be figured out, and the triple A causal industry is sort of hinging on. You know, this game finally coming out and you know, bringing some more energy and hopefully investment back into that space.
Speaker 1: So it moves out of twenty five into twenty six. What does this mean for the business in twenty five because you know, this was by all accounts going to be the Titanic for a dated reference for the video game business, or maybe Avenger is a better example. This was going to be the biggest best seller. So what happens to twenty twenty five in terms of results for the business lacking this massive hit.
Speaker 2: Well, the immediate upside is, you know, the sheer reality that now some publishers can breathe a bit easy and schedule games for the fall that was you know, the expected timeline for GTA six. So with that gone now it does get a little bit easier to schedule what you know there is to schedule. But from a wider market standpoint, you know, this was a game that was expected to bring in like two to three billion within its launch yer, and that's now two to three billion, you know, off analyst expectations for how well you know, the global video game industry and especially consoles would do this year. They're still switched To of course, and Take two have four titles planned to launch on switch To, which you know is showing some more third party expansion into that side of the console industry. But all in all, you know, this is going to be yet another year where hopes of you know, a Triple A comeback are being lessened slightly in light of the fact that GTA six is you know, now another year away. It's such a big title too, that it was undoubtedly going to help sell you know, xboxes and PS fives, especially the PS five Pro. You know, if there's one game that was going to be a use case for expensing that much on you know, a newer PS five model, it would have been GTA six. So without a year away, it's going to be a bit harder to sell you know, the more high end consoles.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which, the other big shoe to drop, although this dropped as expected, was switched To did come out this year, the going to come out sorry, and so in terms of the the emergence of that product, talk about why that is such a big deal.
Speaker 2: That's a big deal because the Switch in and of itself was such, you know, a significant redefining moment for a Nintendo after they hit a snag with the WU in the wake of the Nintendo We success in the two thousands, so Switch launched in twenty seventeen really helps them get back on track. It's both a home and handheld console, so they were able to sort of tackle too, aspects of the market that they've always been pretty strong in. And since then it's you know, been a top selling console. I believe it's the number three overall in lifetime sales. So even though you know, eight years in the life cycle is winding down in favor of the Switch to model, it's ending on a pretty high note. Because it was also at a cheaper price point, the Switch was able to become sort of, you know, a companion console to PS five and Xbox owners, so it was able to sort of evade the very tight comp petition between those two brands by sort of releasing midway through their last console cycles, as you know, an alternative, easier to afford option. That however, the Switch to is going to sell for four fifty, which was a little bit of a point of controversy. People weren't sure if that was in light of you know, this complicated tariff situation with the current presidential administration, and you know, obviously Mario Kart going up to eighty dollars. This is going to be a more expensive life cycle for the switch To. So we'll see if they can really power through that and maintain the strength they built on the switch.
Speaker 1: It was interesting to see the name of the switch emerging in all the coverage of the Trump administration tariffs in the video game industry in general being impacted by the tariffs. So walk us through what the impact is for switch To and the industry at large.
Speaker 2: The impact is, you know the fact that many most of these consoles, you know, they are put together as in places like Taiwan. You know, they all depend on semi conductor chips, which was able to power through you know, a year's long shortage in the immediate aftermath of the pandemic. So you know, to get back on track with semiconductors. Only for this to happen is certainly no help. That said, you know, switched To their sticking with the four to fifty price point. There was a little bit of concern when they backed away from immediate pre orders that they might raise it even higher, but they stuck to the price they announced, and we'll see, you know, how consistently they priced new games at eighty dollars like they are with this Mario Kart World launch title. What's been a more i think distressing impact for gamers in the industry alike is the fact that Xbox actually raised the price of its consoles in the wake of this tariff situation, which is pretty unprecedented, especially when you look at how Xbox Series and PlayStation five launched in twenty twenty, so that's four or five years into their life cycles. That one brand is actually making its systems more expensive. So that paints a pretty clear picture of how, you know, dependent some of these companies are for overseas production of their systems. Lots of gaming accessories too, are made overseas, so that's another aspect of the market that it's likely to be affected by tariffs.
Speaker 1: And by the way, you know, there used to be it felt to me more buzz around the notion of cloud based gaming, So could we potentially be moving into an era where that becomes more viable.
Speaker 2: It's certainly something to pay attention to. You know, does this become a bood for cloud gaming. It's hard to say, just because there's still no definitive clear leader there. I mean, Amazon has its Luna product, but that's not a product they've ever pursued all that aggressively. Some a lot of the online games they develop, you know, they released to Steam for instance, instead of you know, making anything exclusive to Luna. Obviously, Google Stadia was around for a few years, but that winded down in twenty twenty two. If there's one company I am very curious to see, you know, how their own gaming operation does in light of all this, in light of things getting you know, more expensive elsewhere, it would be Netflix, just because that is a company with three hundred million built in subscribers. If you know, one in six Netflix subscribers engages with their games at all, that's as many subscribers as PlayStation plus as for instance. So you know, they're company that I think is well positioned to potentially see a boost in the cloud side of gaming as they work on you know, further integrating gaming into you know, their web apps, just as much as you know, their mobile apps.
Speaker 1: And yet I feel like from what I've heard about Netflix to date in the gaming business, it's been kind of a mixed bag changes of leadership, perhaps pivots, and strategic direction. How would you grade what you've seen so far?
Speaker 2: I've seen so far as Netflix still has a lot to prove. They got into games in twenty twenty one, first through you know, their mobile games app. They've managed to integrate those games a little bit better into you know, the core Netflix app, so it's not all dependent on you know, switching apps on your phone. And they're they're sticking to a strategy where game releases are tied pretty tightly to their movie and TV releases. For instance, this new Black Mirror season, they made a game called Thronglets, which is sort of, you know, an offshoot of one episode that in and of itself, was a bit of a sequel to the Bandersnatch interactive experience they did some years ago. So they're they're keeping strong there. They haven't been able to evade the situation with layoffs and studio closures that you've seen through the more traditional side of the industry. They did, you know, have a Triple A team working on a multiplayer shooter, and that you know, was sort of canceled and leadership shuffled around in light of you know, wanting to not spend too much money on a gaming experience they weren't even sure was going to matter to the core subscriber base. They've indicated an interest more so and really you know, interactive experiences that are also very accessible for Netflix subscribers. They outline sort of their vision at GDC in March, and they seem really interested in trying to find, you know, new ways to engage you know, groups of people sometimes even like in the same physical space, you know, all playing a game on their phones together. So they're looking more to innovate on that front, so that way they're not sort of falling into the trap of spending so much on TRIPAA titles that take years to make.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take a quick break, but we'll be back right more with Corey Erickson on the state of the video game industry, and we are back with a discussion on all things video games with variety intelligence platforms. Corey Ericsson, he's the analyst to pend the latest I believe the third or is it fourth edition of this video game Industry report.
Speaker 2: I believe this is the third.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, make sure to check it out. And the big focus this year, probably a little different from what we did in previous years, was really looking at the intellectual property impact the video game business, which also this report was so well timed because it was on the heels of the very successful release of a Minecraft movie. Put the performance of that movie, which last I checked, I don't we up to a billion yet? It seemed like it was at nine hundred million most weeks ago. There.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's still got a bit of a ways to go. Yeah, so it's a nine to eleven million worldwide, so hopefully it can get to a billion. But if it does, you know, that's still Oppenheimer numbers for video game IP and so far the only video game IP that has on over a billion is the Super Mario Bro This movie in twenty twenty three, which has a sequel out next year. So we're seeing a pattern, I think, or a pattern is starting to emerge that the games most likely to perform that strongly at the box office are also you know, the few games that have sold hundreds of millions of units, you know, across their lifetime because that belongs to i'd say a pretty small club. We can pull up the numbers here, but you know, if you actually look at what are by far the biggest gaming properties by overall lifetime sales, Mario is at the top. It's sold abound nine hundred million units to day through you know, decades of releases at this point, and Minecraft is you know, more around the three hundred million number. Grand Theft Auto is also a very high performer in that regard, and there's never been any kind of Grand Theft Auto adaptation to date. So if there's going to be any kind of ramifications of a Minecraft movie doing so well, it is going to be studios obviously, you know, salivating for the chance to take some ip, whether it's Grand Theft Auto, whether it's called Duty or even Fortnite in roadblocks and try to figure out a way to do movies around those if it means, you know, they could potentially bring out that big of an audience. Because with the Minecraft movie, the reviews were not great. Track tracking wasn't was also you know, below the expectations were below what the performance actually ended up being, you know, in the week's leading up to the release. So this was really a case where the IP just completely was its own thing and the filmmakers were able to sort of make a film that was more of a tribute to the IP than you know trying to do you know, the Last of Us effect and create like a very tight story driven experience around it. So it'll be interesting to see how other studios, if they can get the gaming companies to work with them in the first place, are going to tackle sort of you know, the remaining few that have yet to crossover.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and in terms of what is to still come on the heels of Minecraft movie, in this report, you pinpoint some of the projects that are worth noting. So what's going to be on your radar in terms of the next big IP adaptations.
Speaker 2: Well, right now, the second season of the Last of Us is currently airing. It's got a couple of episodes left, a shorter season this time than season one, and twenty twenty three, HBO downgraded it from nine episodes to seven episodes, which is you know, in line with other top shows on HBO and Max. A similar thing happened with House at the Dragon, So on the show's side, there is you know a cost effect that they have to take into account that I think is you know, going to make it difficult for these adaptations to have big episode orders. I believe Peacock's Twisted Metal, which also has a second season due later this summer, that that is somewhere between like ten to twelve episodes, although they're they're they're they're shorter episodes, but that's a PlayStation ip that actually hasn't been seen for some time on the gaming side, So the fact that they've you know, been able to sustain enough interest in that on a service like Peacock to justify a second season, I think does speak to, you know, the strength of some games that have been around for a while, you know, still having some audience that can be attracted to them. Going a bit further, Uh, it's going to get busy on the film side again. In Q four there's a sequels to Mortal Kombat and Five Nights at Freddy's Mortal Kombat two should be interesting because that was actually one of the films from Warner Brothers that was helping to bring people back to theaters in the first half of twenty twenty one. So if you look at, you know, the global box office for that it doesn't seem that impressive, but that was at a time when you know, theaters were still down, they were blocking off you know, every other row, So that film did have enough interest and it's good to see how a sequel is now going to do in a much healthier film climate. But of course Five Nights at Freddy's, as we know, was a big deal in December twenty twenty three. You know, that made a little bit under three hundred million, but off a typical, you know, modest Blumhouse budget, so a very profitable film, uh with a really young fan based behind it too. And this time the sequel is going to be exclusive to theaters. It's not going to do the day and day with Peacock like the first one did, which is, you know, another testament to how well that film did in theaters that you could also watch it at home at Peacock for free basically if you were a subscriber, and it still brought lots of people out to theaters. So it's good to see if these franchises can actually sustain themselves as other film franchises have, because you know, if you look at the macroview of you know, film franchises with billion dollar films to count. There's still no gaming IP there.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: The closest shot would be Mario next year. If that film does as well as the first one, then that'll be the first gaming IP to account more than one billion dollar success at the box office. But otherwise there's still a pretty long road to go there.
Speaker 1: And that movie is dated for April third, twenty twenty six, next year. Also, I see Resident Evil, which you mentioned September eighteenth, twenty twenty six, and yeah, as you cite it, also, you know, still more to come in twenty twenty seven. I just wonder though, whether the momentum we're seeing in terms of this genre and its heat could one day we mirror the arc of the superhero movies in the sense that running so strong for so long, and yet you could argue, as many have that by sort of over exhausting just the sheer volume of content from that genre, you kind of kill the golden goose.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the industry is viewing gaming IP as supplemental to you know, the core IP at any given studio, because they haven't given up on superhero movies at all. You know, this is this year, We've got three MCU movies instead of just one last year, and next year an actual Avengers branded film will be back, so that train hasn't stopped by any means. However, the studio is recognized they can't solely depend on Superhero IP anymore. There have been enough failures over the past few years to really drive that point home, especially with some of those movies getting really expensive. So gaming IP is a way to I think, supplement the slates in a way that you know isn't going to go super over budget, but is also going to have some built in fan interest. Resident Evil, which you mentioned that in twenty twenty six, is particularly interesting because that's the second attempt to reboot Sony's film series Resident Evil. They had six modestly successful films with Miya Jovovich from you know, the two thousands to the twenty tens, but then an attempt to reboot it with this Welcome to Raccoon City film in twenty twenty one, which is supposed to be you know, a closer out oftion to the first two games, that didn't really get off the ground at all. So now they're rebooting it once again, but going with a sort of newer director Zach Kreiger, who has some hype on the horror side with twenty twenty two S Barbarian, which was, you know, a pretty modest summer success for twentieth century at the time. So he is the kind of director where you're seeing studio shifter attitudes where they're not just assuming an IP is going to work on its own, they're actually really looking out at the talent pool in Hollywood and being like this director has a very similar approach to why people like this game, we should find a way to you know, bring these together here. And he also has a horror film called Weapons Out the Summer for Warner Brothers, so if that film does well, that'll even you know, better boost Resident Evil's chances of success for Sony next year. It's also worth mentioning too, that the second season of Fallout is actually returning as soon as this December. Everyone was expecting that more for twenty twenty six, just because you know, that's a hefty budgeted show, has to spend a lot of time and post it's a post apocalyptic environment. But Amazon recently announced that that would be going in December instead, so you can see even Amazon, which you could argue is in a position to take its sweet time with all of its shows because it's Amazon. They saw how well Fallout did last year and said, you know, we got to get this out asap.
Speaker 1: Another Franchi I said, maybe isn't necessarily readily associated with gaming, Harry Potter. How has gaming played a role in rejuvenating interest in that?
Speaker 2: That comes down to twenty twenty three's Hogwarts Legacy. That was a game that was in development for Warner Brothers for a pretty long time from a studio that actually used to be owned by Disney until you know, Disney, through Bob Buyger's leadership at the time, sort of divested all of its video gaming operations because there just wasn't enough interest within the company in that space. So that studio Avalanche, they went over to Warner Brothers and it took them a while, but they got, you know, an open worlds Harry Potter game out the door, well received, did tremendously well in the sales front. I think over twenty million in sales, So the sales were so big that they actually basically won the year in terms of you know, the number one best selling game on consoles NBC. That's a space that is reserved for Call of Duty's annular releases pretty much every single year since two thousand and nine. The only publisher that's ever broken that streak is rock Star with Grand thea thout of five and twenty thirteen, a red Dead redemption two and twenty eighteen. So for Licensed Ipe to work its way in there in twenty twenty three and sort of you know, one up one of the most you know, powerful performing gaming brands was pretty significant for Harry Potter, especially a year after Warner Brothers had decided to wind down the Fantastic Beasts prequels. They had the third one go in twenty twenty two. It did not meet their expectations, and they essentially scrapped two more sequels. So for Hogwarts Legacy to do as well as it did, it, you know, it was likely what gave Warner Brothers the confidence to very quickly after finally greenlight this idea for Harry Potter show that is now going to air on HBO. That's a planned seven season show, you know, sort of treating the source material as you know, one season per book. So they're going you know, they've already announced casting for that, but it is essentially a full TV remake of the Harry Potter films and books. So clearly you can see how gaming does inform that. But again, you know, it's a little bit of a mixed bag because a year after Hogwarts Legacy, Warner Brothers put out Suicide Squad Killed the Justice League, which did not do well, resulted in about two hundred million in a two hundred million loss on their side, and since then they've you know, closed a few studios at Warner Brothers, and the confidence Hogwarts Legacy had built with you know, a figure like David's Osla for instance, no one's really sure if that's much there or anymore going forward. So, you know, as helpful as video games can be to you know, an overall IP situation, it's still a very complex industry, especially for the Hollywood side of things, where cost cutting is so top of mind right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you they're probably one of the best parts of the report you did was breaking down on a company by company basis, whether they're the leaders in entertainment or leaders in tech, all the different places where they play, whether it's developer, publisher, IP license or you mentioned for instance, you know, Disney's withdrawal. Is there any company, last question, that you think people need to keep an eye on in terms of a Hollywood entity that is really pushing forward in the gaming space.
Speaker 2: Well, I would say, even though there's still technically just a licenser of their own IP, Disney is one company to pay attention to, just because given he is currently in his second ten you're a CEO. You know, there's tons of speculation as to whether Bob Iygers you know, final sendoff from Disney will be another key acquisition, this time on the gaming side. Disney at the start of twenty twenty four invested one point five billion into Epic Games purely for IP driven Fortnite experiences. So that's you know, Fortnite experiences tied to Star Wars characters, Marvel characters, Pixar characters. So that's been going strong on Fortnite, and you know, if they're obviously this is purely speculation, you know, no no inside intella here, but if there is you know, one acquisition that would put Disney back into gaming in the way it used to be more so than it used to be, it would be you know, Epic Games. If the partnership really is going that strong, so that's one company you'd keep an eye out for. Another would be sky Dance. Sky Dance has had its you know, interactive side for a while, but they also have a new media division where they are making a few Triple A games through Amy Hennig, who used to run the Naughty Dog studio. She's the creator Uncharted, for example. So they have some pretty high quality games on the horizon, I'd say, But what makes their gaming studio so interesting is the fact that, you know, the biggest guidance company is US finally getting close to you know, nearing the end of its process to acquire Paramount. So if that deal does go through, they are going to have you know, the full store of Paramount IP to potentially figure out various kinds of games for which could help you know, them grow their presence in a big way.
Speaker 1: Well, this is just a taste of what is a much deeper dive into this business in the new report from Variety Intelligence platform, the State of the Video Game Industry, third Edition, that just came out in May, and we are glad to have had time with its author, Corey Ericson. Thanks for taking the time out, Thank you any.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening. Be sure to leave us a review at Apple Podcasts or Amazon Music. We love to hear from listeners. Please go to Variety dot com and sign up for the free weekly Strictly Business newsletter, and don't forget to tune in next week for another episode of Strictly Business