Speaker 1: Cool media.
Speaker 2: This is it could happen here? Executive Disorder, our weekly news class covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling world, and what it means for you. I'm Garrison Davis today, joined by Mia Wong, James Toute, and Robert Evans. Yes, Taco, Trump sweeps the nation, Musk is out with Stephen Miller's wife, Liberation Day, tariffs or fought in court. This episode covering the week of May twenty eighth to June four.
Speaker 1: So much good stuff this week also a terrorist attack not good. But before we get into that, I want to let you guys know, I watched the movie Mountainhead, and then I had a dream starring all of you in the movie Mountainhead, and it went a lot better since we were just skiing and enjoying the woods.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 1: I don't know, nobody launched an AI that destroyed civilization. Steve Carell wasn't there. Actually, I wouldn't mind hanging out with Steve Carell, but not the Steve Carrell from that movie anyway. Interesting movie.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, interesting dream too, Bet the sounds of it.
Speaker 2: Wow, Thanks for that that quick Robert film review.
Speaker 4: Thanks for sharing, Bud. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess side piece of news that we weren't focusing on like much today, but we will do a piece on in the future is trumps coud a deal with Palanteer to create an extensive new database that compiles information on everybody in the country. This covers bank numbers, student debt, medical claims, disability status. I think this summer myself for a few other people on this episode, we'll we'll work together on an episode just about surveillance, like Flock Gideon Foundry. These these surveillance systems that are getting like spread all across the country. So we will do a whole episode on that in the future. But let's start with that and then pivots to Robert Evans to discuss terrorism.
Speaker 1: I hardly know herorism. Someone else should continue the episode. Now, No, this is your this is your Sorry, that was a perfect segue.
Speaker 3: Nobody's bailing you out of this ship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're fine.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, all right, let me pull Let me pull up the right the proper dock. Because I did this on my Chichescu doc because we recorded both of those episodes today.
Speaker 4: God, what a hotwarming day you've had.
Speaker 3: Robot.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Chichescu, a guy fire bombing a rally in Denver. It's it's all been really good stuff. Yeah, mostly mostly chill. Thanks. So on June second, there was a rally in Boulder, Colorado for a group that was protesting for hostages that were taken by Hamas on October seventh. There's like, I think fifty somewhere around fifty who are still unaccounted for for varying reasons. And that was that was what approach was for. And there was like, there was like a gathering and they were supposed to be doing like a run, right, in order to raise awareness about the hostages, right, So that's that's that's the event that happened on the second and a man approached during that gathering, Mohammed Sabri Soloman, and he started throwing molotov cocktails. Every story I have gives slightly different numbers for how many molotovs he had prepared and how many he had when he was taken. Like an AP News story said that he had sixteen unused molotovs that were covered by law enforcement after the attack, but I think CNN said fourteen, Yeah, fourteen unlit molotovs. So it's kind of clear to be how many they were, but he threw a number of these at the group of demonstrators. He also had what's described in most of the articles I find as an improvised flamethrower. And so you know, when I heard that, my first question was, like a makeshift flamethrower. Sorry was the exact term the police used. And when I first heard that, I was like, well, that could mean a lot of things. They could literally just feel like he had like a cand of like spray, that's that's flammable that he liked.
Speaker 4: A writer up to could have link steeredro No, it.
Speaker 1: Was apparently like a fertilizer or pesticide sprayer type deal that he had fuel in, right, So it actually was a makeshift flamethrower he was attempting, but he did not use it on the demonstrators. He did burn himself pretty badly. He had like body armor on that he took off after he Like basically what seems to have happened is he throws something like half a dozen firebombs at this crowd, and he injures a number of people, several of them quite severely. There's at least last I checked six people who are still in the hospital, one in critical condition, although that may have changed since we recorded this podcast. The victims who were wounded range in age from fifty two to eighty eight. And yeah, so he hurts a number of people with these molotovs, and then the way he described it, he like felt like he couldn't continue going through with the attack. He had been planning this thing for more than a year, we know, or at least that's what he claimed, and he's he basically said that, like, yeah, once I actually started it, I found it very difficult to continue. So it seems like he kind of like didn't go as far with this thing as he could have, because it turns out lighting people on fire, even when you're very angry, is something that most people cannot bring themselves to do. Past this certain point, he is on video screaming Palestinas free, and he stated to the authorities that when he'd been planning this for a year, his goal was to kill Zionists. So, you know, this is it's very clear like what this is motivated by, right, Like what his motivation was. His background is interesting. I guess you'd say he and his family come from Egypt. And yeah. He attended Like high school in Egypt and later moved to Kuwait. He has a history of like. It seems like he kind of got politically active during the Arab Spring. He posted a bunch of pictures of Mohammed Morsey, the leader of the Muslim Brotherhood who served as Egypt's president from twenty twelve to twenty thirteen. He protested against the military coup that removed Morsey from power, and he and his family entered the United States in August of twenty twenty two as a non immigrant visitor, and in twenty twenty three he received a two year work authorization, which expired in March. He had tried to come to the US in two thousand and five. His primary goal in coming here in twenty twenty two was to get his daughter, primarily into a good medical school. He moved there with his wife and his kids. His daughter was on the process of graduating. They had been living in Kuwait, but for a variety of weak reasons, especially the fact that they were not citizens. She was like, I'm not going to be able to go into medicine in Kuwait. His daughter seems to be a very gifted medical student and so they moved here and she got into a medical school. And in fact, he seems to have waited to carry out his attack until her graduation, Like he wanted her to be started on her path to becoming a doctor before he carried out this attack. I think, both in the hope that it would protect her and she wouldn't get forced out of the country, which we'll talk about in a little bit, and I think probably just be as easier todad and he wanted to see her graduate, right, But then he carries out this attack. His family does not seem to have known. He basically left some messages for them as he left to carry it out. His wife took his phone into the authorities, which I read is her being like, I'm at this point trying to do whatever I can to make the government less likely to prosecute the rest of my family. Like he's a writer, right, Like he like like I can't be concerned about him, right, I've got kids, you know, and.
Speaker 4: Like potentially trying to stop anything else happening. If he was, you know, like maybe he had other people who'd been playing this with who are planning other things.
Speaker 1: Right, she doesn't know did he build a bomb, Right, she has no idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I should also note here that when he was planning this attack, he initially planned to do a shooting. He took a concealed carry class, or at least he told investigators he took a concealed carry class. Right, he could be lying about some of this. This is what the police are reported. Yeah, but he took a concealed carry class. But he was not able to buy a gun. The AP News article says was denied because he's not a legal US citizen. You don't have to be a citizen to buy a gun. Yeah, that's not correct, but you do have to be in the country legally, right, Like you do not have to be a citizen to purchase guns in this country, but you do have to be illegal.
Speaker 4: I think you have to be a resident, like certain visa categories.
Speaker 1: There's a number of ways to get a gun, not a citizen. But he was not able to Yeah, and thank goodness, right, Like it's horrifying, Like obviously burning people is horrifying. Like the injuries that these people suffered are pretty are deeply Like there's no pleasant burn injury. But people would have just died if he'd shot them, right, like, yeah, that's just the reality of the situation.
Speaker 4: That's already happened in Boulder once, like Bulder had a mass shooting at a supermarket, right not so long ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's the that's that's the bones of what happened here.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, having this like less than a week after the Embassy shooting is pretty notable.
Speaker 1: Not great. Yeah, speaks to the contagion way these kinds of things spread.
Speaker 2: Right exactly meanly las last week we talked about how like this plays into like media that only benefits the actions that Israel's continuing to take, and how much a media attention was going towards the shooting and like the immediate aftermath. And something that I found a little bit interesting is how fast that story kind of went away, which which I wasn't really expecting. I thought it would. It would they would be you know, relevant for a little bit longer. People will try to keep it relevant for a little bit longer. I think part of the reason why maybe it went away faster than what we thought is so that it would not encourage like a copycat attacks. And that still seems to happen to a degree, And I mean it sounds like this guy was planning something for a little bit longer, yes, but certainly having that other shooting in a close time proximity is notable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, And the unfortunate reality is that, like, I'm sure there's someone else, multiple other people who have been planning for different periods of time, other kinds of attacks, and we will continue to see stuff like this happen.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Some of this is when something as terrible as the datacide happening in Gaza is happening on a small screen in front of your face, and you are consuming hours of the curated worst footage of it every day. People are going to react, and they're not always going to react in the most like thoughtful way. Sometimes they're going to make a bunch of fucking fire bombs and attack a group of people who there's not really any argument that these particular groups of people had anyone at any influence.
Speaker 2: Any any material consequence.
Speaker 1: Any power in the Israeli government, but.
Speaker 4: One of them is a Holocaust survivor.
Speaker 1: People are going to take irrational, terrible action that's just going to happen.
Speaker 4: You know, it breaks people. Yeah, kind of prolonged vicarious trauma especially is not good for you.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of this loan Wolf attack is almost a way that people like cope with themselves after watching this thing unfold on your screen, right, and then as a response.
Speaker 1: I have to do something, is what he said, right, Like, I'm never gonna be able to live with myself ily do something.
Speaker 2: And then as a response, you use the violence of a gun to carve your name into history.
Speaker 4: And yeah, as someone who did something, I did something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is this is something and you know it's it's it's it's bad, like it just has it's just some number of people. This is how they're they're going to react and to an extent, I don't know, I don't know how you seek to stop this. You know, the authorities have like confirmed this guy was not on anyone's watch list. I'm sure neither will the next guy or gal who does something right like, this is the world. Quite quite frankly, this is in part the world the internet has made, right. Yeah, not that not that it would be good if horrifying footage of the genocide and Gaza wasn't getting out to people, But like, this isn't the first time we have watched a series of attacks carried out and copy attacks and copycat attacks like carried out and spread as a result of things that are spreading in digital media, right, Like this is this is like a thing that's happened over and over again. This is just kind of how the internet and radical violence works well.
Speaker 3: And it's one of those things where like, you know, there is a clear way to end the violence, which is to end the genocide, which is the other benefit of ending the genocide, But these people have no interest in that.
Speaker 1: No, these people and don't I don't know how to right like like like I don't like if you're asking, like, well, how do we end the genocide? Where like I guess you could get the entire international community to stop trading or selling weapons to Israel and also blockade the country, But like, well, then how do we do that? They're not god right, Like, I can't I can't make them. I can't make the US shoot down Israeli missiles or aircraft. Like I don't have the ability to like yell our government into doing that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's how to you, right, Like, as a person potentially a person who's isolating, I don't know, man, if this person is isn't part of a community, right, hasn't found community like processing that trauma and feeling like you have to do something, some people's brains will break in a way that leads to violence. Yeah, I want to talk about state violence now, if that's okay, because I think what he did was fucked up and wrong, and no one should obviously be firebombing Holocaust survivor. I think that's something we can agree on. What has happened to his family is also wrong, right, like it you shouldn't be punished for being related to someone who did a bad thing, and.
Speaker 1: Oh god, and this is yeah, this is also horrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the whole thing is a story of like collateral damage.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So the White House on four twelve pm on the third of June tweeted zeated just In Colon, the wife and five children of illegal alien Mohammed Solomon, the suspect in the anti Semitic fire bombing of Jewish Americans, have been captured, captured and are now in ICE custody for expedited removal next parties in block capitals. They could be deported as early as tonight. This is heartbreaking, right again, Like we've talked about habeas before, but the foundation of everything that legal systems based on English common law hold is you have to have evidence that the person did something wrong, not that they're related to the person who did something wrong.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: You know, both Robert and I are both intimately familiar at least you know. I've received calls from young people in Burma who we've interviewed whose families have been captured because of their part is based on the revolution, and like, yeah, this is not a part of the U I should be going down. I want to explain very briefly what expedited removal is, because I have seen some shit that suggests maybe folks don't understand it. That's fine, it's complicated. So expeditive removal is supposed to be reserved for people who arrive at a land border port of entry or EWI. EWI is an acronym entering without inspection. That means entering between ports of entry right over the wall, under the wall, over the beach, what have you, right, entering without going through a port of entry, and they're supposed to have been here for less than two years. The Trump administration has been massively expanding the use of expectitive removal. Recently, why they're doing this is because in an expectitive removal proceeding, lower level immigration officials can remove people without them seeing a judge. Those people can still make a credible fear claim, which has to be assessed by an asylum officer and then approved by a judge. But this is a lot harder right than then going through the asylum process, and they have to prove beyond reasonable doubt. I guess I think it's a reasonable fear frame. I think incredible fear is a higher standard for another removal braziling that they are likely to be tortured by the government or with the acquiescence of their government if they're sent home. Right, its use had previously peaked with one hundred and ninety seven cases in twenty thirteen. That was under Obama right and surprisingly didn't see people writing about it. Then it was used even more extensively by the Biden administration, especially in twenty twenty four with Biden passed his asylum ban right by executive order. The first Trump administration did use it. They used it in a more broad range of cases, but they didn't use it in as many cases as either the Obama or the Biden administration. Right experited removal is supposed to be for the most serious cases, for things where the person is as a threat or a danger, or for other reasons need to be removed quickly. It was never designed. It was passed in I think in the early two thousand decade of this century. Was never supposed to be used like this, right, Robert, you mentioned these people had entered the United States in twenty twenty three, I think.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty two, and then he got a visa, a two year visa to work. In twenty twenty three. They entered on a tourist visa.
Speaker 4: Essentially, they're not within that two year window. Right to the extent that that matters, I don't know, right, So they will now, having done nothing wrong in the case of his wife, having attempted to cooperate with law enforcement to stop her husband or anyone with him hurting anyone else, they will be detained in the Nice detention center. They will have to make a claim of credible fear right. They will have to say it is dangerous for you to send us back. I presume that citizenship is Egyptian, so I presume they will be sent there. That's a very high hurdle for them to clear, and I mean, I'm sure that there are national immigration nonprofits who are willing to fight their case because the abuse of expert to removal in the last two years, to be very clear, by administration as well, has seriously undermined the due process rights of migrants. But this is still a further step and a significant step in removing those So I'm going to follow this case. I'm sure i'll update you on it next week. I also just want to note that, like this has dominated a news cycle, yesterday, twenty seven people were killed in Gaza attempting to obtain humanitarian aid.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: The IDF is still denying that. I don't really care that. The Red Cross as well as health authorities in Garda have confirmed that twenty seven people were killed en route to one of the humanitarian or the humanitarian aid distribution point where they've concentrated it in the sudden end of the gard the trip. We will have an episode on Palestine next week. I don't want one person's kind of stupid action to overshadow the killing of many more people and that tragic loss of life. Right, So I don't think that we won't be covering that we will. What we will also be doing is pivoting to advertisements.
Speaker 5: Right now, that's right, baby.
Speaker 2: Let me let me maybe get out my guacamole fucking algorithm.
Speaker 3: Couldn't it becomes the joker? Is that the pivot to the Yeah? Okay, yeah, oh god, okay, let's let's talk about Taco Trump.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, finally, finally.
Speaker 2: Get out your hot, get out your black let's go Taco Trump party.
Speaker 4: If you're doing getting full d NC style, pick a slightly racist Mexican costume or somethink I guess, like.
Speaker 3: So many many years ago, I I was I was a professional StarCraft two fan, and this meant that I was exposed to Gungan style a full two weeks before everyone else. And this was my experience with Taco because I started hearing this from like financial news outlets, and like my friend Vicky was sending me things. They're like, yeah, they came up with this thing, they're calling it Taco, And then like four days later, all of the like regular news outlet's caught out to it.
Speaker 4: And I didn't want to say ship in the nation maya liked it before it was cool.
Speaker 3: So Taco is this like unbelievable delusion that the finance people have had to like like program into their brains in order to like keep themselves from believing their own eyes about what's happening with the economy. So Taco stands for Trump always chickens out. And it's these people's belief that Trump will like always inevitably in the end back down from the terrace. And I've been seeing this a lot, right, Like I was seeing this some people who were like who's analysis I respect? Who are talking about how like, yeah, the structural conditions of the economy are saus so Trump will always be forced to like roll the tariffs back. And then it's like okay, like the fifty percent deal tariff went in to affect like today right like I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm going to get some kuming. Oh I'm going to get some Corey end or we're gonna mix that up.
Speaker 3: Oh god, yo. This is a financial thing, right that, This is the thing that like all the day traders like have to convince themselves in order to keep the stock marketing going. Yeah that like no, no, no, it's gonna be fine.
Speaker 2: This is a magic spell that's being like waved over the economy to keep it kind of holding together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like, whooh, it's gonna be fine. Ignore the thirty So all Chinese goods ignore the tariffs of the fifty percent steel tar if.
Speaker 1: Today, you might say me, these economists are saying to Reef, we don't like it. Sorry, locking jazz rocket jazz bot locking.
Speaker 2: Rocking jazz bo rocking jazz Bob.
Speaker 1: God, we had to make up for it. Garrison wouldn't let us last time.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I know the royalties are getting too much. I took an entire week's pay cut so that we can pay back the royalty.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: Now, the good news is everybody we did manage to work out a new healthcare plan for everybody. It is the next time you need to go to a doctor, there will be an unmarked car with a loaded thirty eight special in the glove box. Yeah, so it is a step up from United Healthcare. We've actually significantly improved things. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: And I'm actually taking no pay for a year so we can do a white riot, which is just white genocide. It's about the genocide of the of the bull people's real.
Speaker 3: So okay, speaking of United health What are these tarriffs all these people have convinced themselves is not going to happen, is the pharmaceutical tariffs, which are still like coming, right. But what sort of happened with this taco shit, right is the Democrats were like, Okay, I have found a way to criticize Trump that is racist.
Speaker 2: They're all just calling him like that. Also does it actually critique his policies like they're they're calling him taco and Trump in relation to like negotiations that Iran.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, shit that he should chicken out of it. It's good if he doesn't do it. Yeah, yeah, Like like I'm watching them do like like fucking truck. Schumer is out here tweeting about how Biden deported more people than Trump did, and like the thing that this reminds me of the most is like the Chavez era of Venezuelan opposition, where every single year they would haul some dipshit out and their platform was like I'm gonna do travisl better than Chavez, and every single year they would lose by forty points.
Speaker 3: And it's like the Democrats are like those guys, those people are no fucking winners. We're going to adopt every single one of his platforms, and then we're gonna run on he's not doing it well enough, and then we're gonna get fucking annihilated in every single election until like democratic process itself simply ceases to exist. And this will be good for us somehow. This is just it's pure cope. Like the entire our, our entire economy is being supported by the just collective delusion that these people have built. But they fucked up, right. And the thing about taco and think I remember is from like the first time I about this, it was like, if this gets out, these people are fucked because Trump is going to see this and it is going to piss him off, and he's going to like like now that it's like the OK kind of thing. It's like no, no, no, Like the next the next series of tariffs is scheduled to come off. Is I'm pretty sure that China won in like the beginning of July. Could have the math wrong. I don't know, I hate math, but I'm pretty sure that's the next one.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's it's it's this is the thing that I'm still like questioning about and like we've talked talked about this before is like one of those thirty day deadlines for tariffs on Canada and Mexico expired. Yeah, he just forgot about that one and no one was keeping count or they were like distracted, Like I think specifically they're putting in some like European Union like tariffs like like that day and then just nothing like happy Yeah, And like I am wondering how much of that is, Like he's just gonna announce tariffs, put them on hold, and then just forget about them, but still announce new different tariffs in the future that may cover some of the same stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, so here's the thing. Here's the thing. I some of these you remember something just because so so the steel tariff doubled from twenty five ye fifty, right, and that is one of the ruling big ones, right, So I think it's it's like there are some that he like cares about and there are some that he kind of doesn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel the same way when I'm getting tacos like pork tacos, no, thank you, fish tacos.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't. I don't endorse Garson's opinion on tacos.
Speaker 3: This this taco Trump shit is like I long for the days of Orange Man Bad drump was better than this. This is this is the worst it's ever been, Like, oh god, give me comedians cutting his head off live on stage again, Like sure.
Speaker 4: Yes, that was fine.
Speaker 3: This is just like what what are we doing here? Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it's really tough because cilantro prices are gonna spike to these tariffs too, so I mean we can't even call them tacos.
Speaker 1: It's okay, you know, Garrett Garrison, that's actually just good politics, right, because some people have some people have a disability where they can't test taste cilantro, not a.
Speaker 7: Disability association with previous statements. I will not be canceled by the side. Do not buy the cilantro gene. I don't think it's real. But you don't think, oh my god, Okay, okay, I don't think it's a gene.
Speaker 1: I don't think people without the salant with the cilantro taste bad gene. I don't know if we'd call them people right, if it tastes like so killed. I just don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Talks talks with China have been breaking down. Both sides have been accusing each other of violating the agreement they had come to to roll the tariffs back, which they like both.
Speaker 2: Have I believe both sides on that. Actually yeah, and again this this this.
Speaker 3: Comes to like the actual fundamental structural problem of this, which is that and I think this is why a lot of people think that everything will sort of eventually go back to normal and I'll try to just sort of like bluster like I did the first time.
Speaker 2: Is it like okay?
Speaker 3: Again? Trump's actual goal here, which is to not have a trade deficit with China, is unachievable, right, There's nothing that can actually be done in order to do that, and there's no good way to claim victory either. And so what we're sort of escalating towards is July, like the one hundred and thirty percent of tariffs sort of like coming back into effect. So people are building up I think this, like I don't know, the sort of like psychological wall to the fact that this could happen again, and the fact that like these negotiations are breaking down, I think is just making it increasingly likely that it is just going to explode again. The steel tariffs also are just a shit show for a whole bunch of different manufacturing sectors. It's very bad for the US auto industry. There's already been a report on the effect of twenty five percent steel tariff has had on the construction industry. This has been tied into sort of like, oh yeah, the US is like not replenishing its housing stock because you know, but it's it's fucked, it's real bad. I don't I don't have a I don't know. I don't have a better thing to say about it than that, and that it's going to continue to get worse and at some points, probably the taco is going to be fucking over and people are going to realize that he's going to do this, and especially now they just pissed him off.
Speaker 4: Oh god, yeah, well what will they do then with their giant inflatable chicken.
Speaker 2: This is this is this is the biggest librain stuff I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: I am I am living in a world where like a group chat that I made on signal when I was a manic last year has had more policy effects on like like preserving trans healthcare in that fucking budget build and the entire Democratic Party and they are spending their money fucking like holding out chicken fucking chicken inflatable.
Speaker 1: Now, don't don't listen to me. A Democrats. For just twenty million dollars, I will guarantee you the youth vote. Not a guarantee.
Speaker 2: I propose that we renamed this segment from tariff talk to Mia Molay the next I don't know twenty.
Speaker 1: Episots garrison As a Canadian, are you allowed to use that word?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, let's go on to that break before I lose my job. Okay, we are back. James Stowe, It's me. What's been going on?
Speaker 4: Hey everyone, James, it's Thursday night here and I'm just recording a little pickup to update you that the Trump administration has issued another travel ban. This travel ban bans travel or bans all new visas for people from twelve countries. One of those is Meanmar, and travelers further restricted for seven other countries. There are exemptions people who are already in the country with a valid visa. There are exemptions for Afghan people have an SIV, especially immigrant visa. There are other smaller exemptions for the Olympic Games and sporting events for example. We will do a whole episode on this because we need longer than we have to explain it. But I just wanted to make people aware that we are tracking that, planning on getting something out about it, but we don't have enough space in this episode or time to edit to address it in full. Today. Well, some things have been happening Garrison here in sunny San Diego.
Speaker 2: With from what I hear, actually great tacos.
Speaker 4: Yes, tacos are actually very good in San Diego.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh, excellent tacos. Some of the best tacos in southern California, which is saying something.
Speaker 4: Ye, come and visit us, eat our tacos.
Speaker 1: Across the border. Get some extended release Mexican tramadol. Let me know where you are anyway, continue jym.
Speaker 4: Or tacos whatever you want to want to get across the border. So I say, gent rated Buona fot Jetta, which is a pizza place in South Buck. I used to stay like just above here. I would get late night pizza there all the time when my job was riding my bike and my hobby was drinking at Hamilton's Rip, which was a craft bn next door. In this bungled raid, they entered during a late afternoon and the evening of Friday, and ice agents soon found themselves surrounded by an angry crowd at local people, patrons from the Vegan Small Plates cocktail place across the across the street, and the brewery it's now South Park Brewing, as well as folks from the neighborhood. Right, this is one of those neighborhoods that like South Park of the concept was kind of invented by real estate agents so that it wouldn't seem like Golden Hill or Bankers Hill, and it would have like a more upmarket branding. So you have these very nice bars and restaurants, but then you also have like a laundromaut on the corner, and like a like a food market, like a non chained supermarket that serves a primarily Latino clan tel. I would imagine it's one of these very sort of like class diverse neighborhoods. I guess. But people came out en mass. They surrounded these vehicles, right, they were chanting let them go. Ittsi agents decided to defuse the situation by throwing flashbanks and then leaving with four employees. I should add here that as KPBA put it, quote, flash bangs were thrown, which is a cowardly use of the passive voice to obscure culpability.
Speaker 2: I think flash bangs spontaneously were deployed.
Speaker 4: Right yeah, right, who can say Garrison, maybe the people at the Death Metal Vegan restaurant bought the flash bangs.
Speaker 2: Well, And I also do want to say I have gotten word from some exclusive sources that these were actually secret militia members masquerading as Ice agents.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's just fucking address it, because it's very silly.
Speaker 1: The understandable degree of it is that like they are dressing like Proud Voice now look exactly like Proud Boys in Portland in twenty nineteen, right, Like they are indistinguishable visually.
Speaker 2: Their uniform standards have like kind of gone away. They seem like they don't have standards anymore. Yes, and now they are just dressing like how Proud Voices and three Percenters used to dress.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, like I think this kind of conspiracy theory stems from the initial MISI identification of the Ginger Ice agent who smashed someone's window as Michael Maya aka Lewis Arthur, who's the one of the veterans on patrol leaders. He was live streaming in Oklahoma at the time that that rate happened. It's not him, Yeah, it's just two people who are ginger. Ye that then it's possible that there are lots of them. Then. I've seen this in multiple other cases, often from the kind of more lib sky people you see on Blue Sky right, who seem unable to comprehend the fact that no, they are cops and they are doing evil shit, and cops do evil shit, cops can do bad things, and now cops are more likely, especially immigration officers, do not have their names on their kit. Yeah, and it's something that we saw like in Portland in twenty twenty, and it was incredibly worrying, And now it's spreading all around the entire country to the point where most most like people enacting these raids are both hiding their identities and also obscuring what agencies they are actually like from, which is why people are like concerned that you like, what if these guys aren't even from the government, what if these are just like some kind of right wing militia. And yeah, with a little bit of checking, you can usually tell that they are in fact from usually das. Yeah, I mean the California one was somewhat ridiculous, Right, there is not an exemption to the California assault weapons ban for militias. These guys had guns, which would have been about four felonies each. Yees saying people don't do felony things they do, but you'd have to be a bit of a tool to just stand on the street with your felony select fire MPX.
Speaker 1: Part of this is a very and a lot of leftists fell for this too, But this is fundament mentally rooted in a liberal delusion, which is that the danger is unaccountable groups of civilians with guns, not the police. The danger is the cops. The danger has always been the cops.
Speaker 4: Yes, we need to push back on this, right, Like the prow boys are not like the be all and end all of even but they're that sure, of course.
Speaker 1: I Like, I've had my hand broken by one. I don't like them, but I'm not as scared of them as I am of just the cops.
Speaker 4: Like, Yeah, we need to push back on this because it fundamentally misidentifies the problem. And until these people wake up and realize that they're not going to bond in the correct manner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I mean, like, you know, one of the things that you can point out here is is like, yeah, there were a bunch of police in Nazi Germany, and the moment that they started carrying out the orders of the Nazi government, they became Nazis. Like that's that's just how this works, right, you don't get a poll a like, oh, I was just a wimart police guy, just enforcing the laws of the of the Nazi government. It's like, okay, you were you are, sir, you are a Nazi, and you are a Nazi because you are an agent of the Nazi state, not because you were like you know, you were like necessarily in some perimilitary or whatever.
Speaker 4: Like yeah, a member of the party.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like that's what happens when you work for a fascist state. So you're now a fascist.
Speaker 4: So in documents I've reviewed, Ice claimed that nineteen employees at a restaurant were using falsified green cards. They were acting on a tip from November twenty twenty, and then they received a follow up tip in late January twenty twenty five. The tip claim that many of the staff at Buonafort Jetta were undocumented, that the made them work long shifts and verbally abused them. I have seen no evidence that this is true beyond that claim. I've been to and past that restaurant hundreds of times. I've never seen anyone who looks sad to be there. But it doesn't mean that's not happening. But I've seen nothing to lead me to believe that it is beyond this claim. Right, HSI had been in communication with Bonafort Jetta's lawyer since February and they had been cooperating. Right Like Bonifot Jetter had given them these documents which they claim were fake green cards. They applied for this warrant, which they've got, an exceedingly broad warrant. One of the things that allow was for everyone inside to be detained and fingerprinted if necessary, even people who are not accused of any immigration offense. Right, people who are United States citizens weren't. Also detailed that they had been surveilling the location. City councilman Shani la Riviera called the HSI agents terrorists. In a social media post, Bill Malugan got sad about this. Stephen Miller quote tweeted Bill Milligan getting sad about this. Top Glauria came out with three paragraphs of total bullshit and continued to unabatteredly support stripping our city of all its socially beneficial services in order to direct a fire hose of our money to the cops, one of whom earned four hundred and thirty thousand dollars in twenty twenty three. Jesus what yep? Yeah yeah, San Diego's highest paid public officials of cops by oh my god. Yeah, we are becoming a police department with a city attached because of Todd Gloria, someone who ran in twenty twenty on a reform agenda, right, who earns himself two hundred and fifty thousand much less.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's football coach takes, which is I thought that the Portland Police were paid too much. That's that's wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, this person worked and alleged three thousand hours of overtime. I believe m.
Speaker 2: It's like what scrolling scrolling TikTok in your car, Like, come on.
Speaker 1: Keep an eye, keeping an eye on kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah you can't you you can't be three thousand dollars. I mean someone could do three thousand divided by fifty fifty two weeks a year or whatever. Like it's it's it's an unfathomable amount of overtime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's just fifty eight hours a week.
Speaker 4: Whoa, Yeah, so that's full time plus one and a half full time jobs, hard worker. There's a KPBS article on it. I'll link it. Multiple police officers, I guess in twenty twenty four are on track to earn over four hundred thousand dollars with the buck of it coming from overtime pay. San Diego never gets enough attention for being a complete shit show of a city, right when, like and run by the Sea is the best way I've heard it described, right, Like, our city consistently has massive corruption in scandals and nothing happens.
Speaker 1: It's it's a problem when it a place? Is that nice?
Speaker 7: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like that's really the fundamental issue is like people be like, hey, do you hear about that fucked up thing the meritd Yeah, but like look at the look at the beach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's yeah, that's literally the csis of Under the Perfect Son. Yeah. She's a book that should be, uh, should be obligatory if you want to move to San Diego. I think it's one of the one of the earlier Mike Davis books. But against San Diego, a place where the politics are bad. It's also what happens when everyone votes them no matter what.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Also, people, in general, if you want to understand why southern California be like a do read read Mike Davis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, in general, just read just read Mike Davis.
Speaker 1: Actually, wherever you are read some Mike Davis.
Speaker 4: Yep, I seems to have used I want to get into this because I think this is an important issue that hasn't been raised any coverage. I see I seem to have used AB sixty driver's licenses to identify the people in Bonna fot jetter or at least use California DMV documents of some kind.
Speaker 3: Jesus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So there's this misunderstanding. People think that if you have a driver's license in California that information is an excessible to immigration and that's not true. AB sixty licenses. So that's Assembly Bill sixty, right, California piece of law allow people to get a license without having legal immigration status. This is a good thing. It means that undocumented people are less likely to drive unlicensed and uninsured, right, and therefore it means that people are likely to stay at the scene of car accidents, and people who getting car accidents to likely covered by insurance. Right, I've been hit by an unsure driver. It fucking sucks. Oh yeah. DHS cannot access information on whose license is an AB sixty license, but they can access through a variety of databases and mechanisms other DMV data, which may include things like photographs, addresses, or thumb prints. So in this case, they were able to look at the fake green card and then look at other data, both in in federal and local databases for various things. And some of these people had overstayed visas there claiming right be like, okay, well we found a guy with this name and this date of birth, but the person has a minished a green card that that's their claim, right, and the same with the driver's license database. So obviously, just to finish up on that thought, I guess this disincentivizes people from doing the thing which I've just said is good, which is getting a driver's license. Right, It disincentivizes I mean, I'm seeing things from students right now being afraid of going to their own graduations, being afraid of having their parents at their own graduation.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: This was like two blocks from a school. Fucking chicken, do not she's on top of the fence. Sorry, I'm just going to really's going to fucking get out?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, please chick and break.
Speaker 3: I really, I really truly thought that that was part of the sentence, and I was trying to process in my brain what.
Speaker 2: The fuck is going on?
Speaker 4: That's all right, we're back. Did you none command?
Speaker 2: Did you pick up the chicken? Could you say that you were kind of a chicken? Cky?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Everyone, no, no, just another thirty seconds of silence, everybody, let's really give that it's due.
Speaker 4: Anyone got a gong that we could find?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: No, all right, pouring one out for Garrison. So to finish up right now, both Bonifort Jetta locations are closed. They GoFundMe for the impacted employees and their families has already hit twice its goal one hundred and twenty thousand dollars. As I've said, there have been on suggestions which, as far as I'm were unfounded, that a restaurant forced and documented employees to work long hours. It doesn't matter, right, even if they did, you shouldn't be punishing the people who are being In theory, abused, right, I don't understand how you get to that logic. And even if that is the case, like having ice available on call to deport your employees only plays into the hands for a bosses who don't want to pay people, right, they can just call us instead. This is a tactic that's been used for decades and anto migrants. So yeah, that's what I got. Good times, good times in San Diego.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, we're gonna talk about this more in another episode. There was also a rage in Minneapolis that you know, there's like thirty agents out multi agency raid and like a hundred people just showed up and got them to fuck off, and they didn't end up arresting anybody. Yeah, I think, well, so I think that they arrest all the protesters, but like they didn't end up attaining anything.
Speaker 2: They did not detain the people they were going after.
Speaker 3: It stopt them. Yeah, and there's there's there's this great line that fucking every single person from Minneapolis who I know now is is quoting where one of the people who got interviewed in Sahan Journal said that's Minneapolis, baby, we pull up, so you too could pull up and stop these fucking you see four cowards. You can stop them now. Speaking of incredible cowardice. One of the things that's been happening on a sort of another immigration front is the US is attenn to revoke student visas for Chinese international students. We don't actually know what this means yet and what it's going to look like. All they've said is that they're working to aggressively to revoke visas. As a direct quote from them, and this this was from Marco Rubio on fucking whatever social media app and you guys, I'll say, quote, we will revise visa criteria to enhance scrutiny of all future visa applications from the People's of Public of China and Hong Kong. So fucking rip all of the Hong Kong liberals who supported Trump. Yeah, bad shiit. No one knows exactly what this is going to mean. I've seen speculation that this could be a full ban. That's what Stephen Miller has wanted for a long time. I don't know if that's going to happen. They've been talking about like quote unquote critical fields like stem stuff. It could also be a you know, the persific language they're be using as like anyone who's linked to the Communist Party. That's a lot in what set me? Yet who the fuck knows? Right, Like, you know, like there's some of these people are the kids of like Chinese companies, partaby members, but like there are that's like seven percent of the population of China, right, Like that's a lot of people, and then linked can be fucking anything, right Like, yeah, you know, so no one is entirely sure what this means yet. I my guess is that it's going to be combined with the other horrible things they'm be doing right now, which that they've suspended visits like consular visits to get student visas while they try to figure out how to like do this like implement this new social media policy where they want to just effectively, what it looks like they want to do is just like if you've posted about Palestine, they deny your student visa. That seems like the thing that they're trying to put in place, yet they haven't yet. My guess is that these two are going to end up being linked, and they're gonna and that that's gonna be what they're doing. It could also just be some sort of large scale of rollback of student visas for Chinese international students here, Chinese and national students have been targeted under so many goddamn administrations now, it's fucking horrible. These are just like people. It's interesting because when you read media accounts of this, a lot of them will be like, well, people aren't that Like, we're not that scared. That's okay. It's like, well, no, you you are talking to the people who are stupid enough to talk to an American journalist, right, most people just say no because they're genuine. Is like creating an atmosphere or fucking terror where people don't want to people don't want to speak out about it. And this and this has been something that's been used to like write grad student unions, you know, like these over the years. This is this has been a kind of repression. It's very useful. This is also I think part of their of just the broader war against higher education because a lot of Chinese international students like come in on full tuition, so they're paying for a large percentage of like a bunch of university budgets. But yeah, we will, we will, we will keep you informed as to what this actually looks like. That's what we know about it for now. It fucking sucks.
Speaker 2: Let's end with some semi good news. I guess we will return into my horribly named segment Stinky Musk. Oh god, Hey, this is Gere from the Future, just cutting in here at the beginning because help boy. In the twenty four hours after we recorded this initial segment, there has been substantial developments in the Elon Mussdnald Trump breakup story. It is getting quite ugly out there, folks. The girls are fighting Diva down jd Vance is hiding in the closet as the parents are screaming down the hallway. It is getting quite ugly. Trump's gotten rid of the electric vehicle mandate and is threatening to terminate Elon's government subsidies and contracts. Meanwhile, Elon Musk is talking about how Donald Trump is in the Epstein files, like duh, Like we don't already know this, but for some reason, this is blowing the minds of people like Alex Jones, who are now crashing out on the timeline. Huge, huge shakeups in the Mega world, with some people trying to cope claiming that this is a five D chess move and that Elon and and Trump are gonna come back to get in the end, which is completely absurd. This is a huge shift in the power balance in the New Right. We will be doing a whole new piece in the near future on the Elon Musk Donald Trump breakup story and how it will affect the Republican Party. But the following segment, which we recorded on Wednesday, will essentially outline how we got right up to this point, all of these slow microaggressions and fractures that led to this much more explosive breakup. So enjoy that and keep your ears peeled for a future piece on Elon Musker donald Trump's messy situation shift. So Elon Musk donald Trump are now officially in their messy breakup phase where they're both trying to kind of play it cool, but resentment is clearly bubbling. So after report surfaced about the growing rift between Musk and Trump, the White House gave Musk one last farewell hurrah on Friday May thirtieth wear, Musk, sporting a black eye and a T shirt reading the Doge Father, was gifted a gold key to the White House by Donald Trump. A day later, Trump withdrew the nomination of Musk ally Jared Isaacman as NASA administrator, so as Musk's Special Government employee designation expired, nothing was renewed. They did not try to push him through as an more permanent advisor. He is essentially getting the soft boot. According to Axios, Musk had asked the White House about staying on as an advisor past the one hundred and thirty day Special Government employee threshold, but that was denied. Now, Musk has been reportedly disillusioned by the Wisconsin election and the unexpected difficulty in pushing through some of his DOGE cuts, along with the growing frustration regarding the Liberation Day tariffs which affect his businesses. To add to the tension, according to The New York Times, Musk has been upset that Trump has been negotiating deals with open AI instead of Musk's own competitor, Grock God. In late May, Musk posted on x the everything app quote back to spending twenty four to seven at work, I must be super focused on x slash x AI and TESLA.
Speaker 4: Well, to be fair, Garrison, have you seen GPT ever speaking in the style of Jajar Binks in such a convincing.
Speaker 2: You know that is true? Usp right there, Yeah, not well, talking about the plight of the bores. So as Musk was preparing to exit the White House, he began airing his beef with the new big, beautiful budget bill. Quote. I think a bill can be big or it can be beautiful, but I don't know if it can be both, telling CBS News quote, I was disappointed to see the massive spending bill, frankly, which increases the budget deficit, not just decreases it, and undermines the work that the Doge team is doing unquote. After this, Steven Miller started subtweeting Musk on X the Everything app outline the different types of cuts that Doge can make versus reconciliation bills can make, and defendant the big beautiful bill, calling it quote the single largest welfare reform in American history, along with the largest tax cut reform in American history, the most aggressive energy expiration in American history, and the strongest border bill in American history, all while reducing the deficit unquote, which it does not do. It does not reduce the deficit. But now that Musk's White House exit has been more solidified, Musk's animosity towards Trump's main palsy bill has just skyrocketed, posting on June third on x Everything app, I'm sorry, but I just can't stay to anymore. This massive, outrageous, pork filled congressional spending bill is a disgusting abomination. Shame on those who voted for it. You know you did wrong. You know it. Similarly, Stephen Miller has also been crashing out on the timeline attempt to defend the bill and push back on Musk's attacks in a flurry of tweets, one of which reads, quote the big Beautiful budshet bill will increase by orders of magnitude the scope, scale, and speed of removing illegal and criminal aliens from the United States. For that reason alone, is the most essential piece of legislation currently under construction in the entire Western world in generations. Wow, now Steven seems pretty worked up, And I think this could actually have to do not just about Musk's tweets, but also maybe about Steven's own personal life, because yeah, Steven's animosity could relate to the fact that Musk seems to be stealing Stephen Miller's own Katie Miller. Katie Miller was working in a top position at Dome as a special government employee, and now that her designation has also expired, she is leaving the government to continue working with Musk full time, including arranging Musk's own an interview appearances. It is not looking great, folks. The cock chair is getting warmed. I am not thrilled about Elon Musk possibly having a baby with Stephen Miller's knife. This is really dark timeline.
Speaker 1: I think all of them should be doing better, different different.
Speaker 2: I certainly can critique the way polyamory functions in in you know, and leftist anarchist faces. This is the most toxic. Yeah.
Speaker 3: This this is a night of wrong wives too, and hopefully it ends up for all of these motherfuckers like it did for him buch So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Stephen Miller went on TV last week to like talk about how much he cares about his family.
Speaker 1: It's it's such, it's such good timing.
Speaker 2: It's really dark for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you marry Stephen Miller, it's because you're you're both the same kind of evil and if that's the kind of person you are, Elon Musk is going to give you more opportunities to be the kind of evil you want to be.
Speaker 2: It's right, just like this is like I can't just tell if Musk is an upgrade or a lateral move from Stephen Miller. It's really tough to say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is very funny, but yeah, that is.
Speaker 2: This is one of the you know, last bits in the White House Sea Land Musk saga. He really tried to like push forward this this this doge to retire all government employees' agenda, and it ran into way more roadblocks than what he was expecting. And he seems really upset about that. And now he has to return to the private sector to save it's failing businesses, which have only started to fail more now that he damaged an already kind of uh a troubling reputation the past few months. Yeah. So yeah, that is the update on on Elon Musk.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Well, everybody, we reported the news. I love reporting the news and that you did it.
Speaker 4: Goodbye, we reported the news.
Speaker 8: It could happen. Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you.
Speaker 3: Listen to podcasts.
Speaker 8: You can now find sources for it could happen here, listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening,