Speaker 1: Welcome to Inside Active, a podcast about active managers that goes beyond sound bites at headlines and looks deeper into the processes, challenges, and philosophies and security selection. I'm David Cote, I lead mutual fund and active research at Bloomberg Intelligence. Today my coast is Christopher Kaine, us quantitative strategist at Bloomberg Intelligence. Chris, thanks for joining me today.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: David.
Speaker 1: So you recently wrote a note about how low vall strategies held up during last year's Taraft driven volatility, but they're not behaving the same way now, even with geopolitical risk and the headlines, so it's changed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good question, David. I'll be honest, I'm rather surprised about the factor movements so far this year. To be clear, you know, coming into the year, we had value as our top our top factor. Basically, value is very cheap when you look at cheap stocks versus expensive stocks, and had some positive trends in its favor, so we were positive on value. That said, I didn't know a war in the Middle East was going to break out. I'm I'm pretty surprised how well value has held up, and I'm also surprised how the defensive strategies just have not worked, things like low volatility, things like quality. They're not getting killed, but they're not getting that safe haven bid that you would think you would get when you have a geopolitical event like this. So I think you could you could kind of interpret it as the market shrugging office war or looking past it, but we have not seen the safe haven flows internally that you would expect.
Speaker 3: Interesting.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of factors, I'd like to welcome Jeff Sheen to the podcast. Jeff is co CIO of Systematic Active Equity at black Rock, and I'm sure you can help us understand the benefits of factors and systematic equity and active management. So I want to thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: Jeff, great to be here, Thanks very much for having me.
Speaker 1: So. Systematic active equity kind of sits in that middle ground between traditional discretionary investing and pure quantitative How do you define its core edge today? And you know what do you think people still misunderstanding about it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean I think you know, systematic active equity type of strategy had been around for a long time. We actually just celebrated our forty year anniversary last year, and I'll see that's it's actually how it differentiates. It's certainly I think historically probably is when we think about discretionary it's very deep, could.
Speaker 3: Be in a particular name, could be in a particular.
Speaker 4: Country or sector, and systematic qualitative strategy is a little bit broad, you know, five miles wide, but a.
Speaker 3: Few feet deep.
Speaker 4: And I think, you know, to Christopher's earlier point around factories, that's sort of typically with people think about it. I actually think that the evolution today is such that I think there's an opportunity, especially given additional data, additional algorithms and technology, you can be both broad and deep at the same time. So it's a bit of an exciting moment for the evolution for systematic investment on a forwardlooking basis. And I think the other thing that I think maybe in terms of misconception, is also that historically there was certainly a bit of a feeling of systematic strategies could be a bit of a black box. People don't exactly understand their all these labeling, but people don't exactly what's going on. And to the point that you know, a minimum volatility strategy may not be as defensive as one thinks. I actually think that that when there's an inflation story, there's also an AI story that may, you know, maybe underneath a hood of that particular conundrum. But I think I think the exciting thing on a forward looking basis, given some of a new technology, is that I think you can also understand these strategies in a much more transparent and humanly understandable way. So I think that's probably one of the misconceptions people say, Oh, I understand the stock, but I'm not social about the factors. I'm certainly not social about quantitative methods. With the aid of AI and large language model, some of these transparencies may also be evolving a forarlooking basis as well.
Speaker 1: So when you kind of step back from the models and the signals, what are the persistent sources of alpha your team is really trying to capture, and you know, do you think those have kind of evolved over time?
Speaker 4: I think, yeah, it's certainly evolved, And I think evolution is actually it's a feature of a successful strategy. Today's alpha is really going to be tomorrow's beta, maybe tomorrow's smart beta. So I think it's ultimately I think the edge here is about how can you innovate, how can you evolve? So that's, if you will, that the the secret sauce. It's trying to think about what can drive security selection, cross sectional returns, or macro returns. The drivers are as fundamentally different, you know. I think about back in nineteen eighty five when we first started trading to be able to get a price to book, price to earning and give it and yield information for five hundred stocks in S and P five hundred. That was big data machine learning back in nineteen eighty five. But fast forward today, I think on this point of evolution, it's certainly about the amount of data you can access, the amount of learners that you have in your system, and the type of execution you're going to have. So I also that maybe the core source of alpha is certainly anchored around innovation and an innovation today. I think it's also one of the most exciting times, if not the most exciting times over the last forty fifty years, is that the many innovations you can go for data learners execution. So I'm sure we'll dig into it, but I think it's it certainly has evolved quite a bit over the years.
Speaker 2: Jeff, I would love to give you get your opinion. You know, I cover you know, equity factors at BI, and I typically focus on the well known factors, you know, the value of mental quality, low volatility. One of the questions I constantly get from customers is can factor exposures be timed? And it's a bit of a uh, you know, controversial thing. Some people think they can, some people that they can't. I don't think it's not this similar to markets, O can you time the market? So I guess I'll ask you, like, do you think factor exposures could be timed in a somewhat reliable way? And what, if any does factor timing play in your process.
Speaker 3: That's a very very good point.
Speaker 4: The headline here is actually, I'll say that it's possible to time the factors. But at the same time, it's possible, but you've got to do it very carefully.
Speaker 3: That's probably the headline. I think.
Speaker 4: You know, when I say carefully, is that I think you know specifically, I mean, we are very familiar with the factory investment. You know, back when I talk about nineteen eighty five, it was a bunch of value factors and then you know, momentum becomes a big research topic for us. We've done quite a bit of work on that. And then earning quality, as you were mentioning, you know, certainly started around two thousand n Roun and some will come. Some of the blow ups there certainly caused people to think about think about this quality metric in a very careful way. And I would say that maybe right after the financial crisis, that's probably there is a bit of a watershed moment in terms of think about factor and factor timing financial crisis, a lot of these factoris actually had severe draw downs, and they all actually draw down together. So I would say that around that time there was a you know, twenty ten twenty eleven, there was a big debate in the industry that you know, are the old factor is going to come back and you just need to time them a little bit more, or their additional new new things that you should be looking at. We sort of took the second route, where we think that there were a lot of new innovations alternative data, machine learning AI that you can use for systematic investments. So we went for that sort of a route in a significant fashion. But when we look back at the you know the factor lend if you will. I think these are becoming very well known. Uh you know, drivers of across sectional return. They're pretty persistent drivers of return, even though the time variation to a point is becoming much more pronounced. And I think this attempt to time them is certainly I think it's you want to do it carefully in the sense that you want to identify the factor in a very careful fashion. Depending the definition, it can vary quite a bit. You want to InCor put it not only bottom up information, but you also want to look at top down information how the regime can change the factory rotation. And then last but not the least is also you've got to think about how to manage the risk of this kind of timing because by definition, it's a low breath type of strategy. It's a low information type of rotation. So you want to make sure that you manage the risk accordingly. And if you do this carefully, I think it's certain. We've certainly done you know this type of strategy in different form, and we think there's actually some promise, but it's not nearly as easy as people think it is.
Speaker 2: Yes, I want to echo that. You know, it's like Cliff Astas says sin a little. You know, it's like if you're going to do some sometime and maybe just just sin a little. I love that. So, you know, again, traditional equity factors like your value of momentums, et cetera. I would call them medium term horizon factors. You know, typically the rebalance every month coms of fundamental factors like quality or value. Could be a little bit lower frequency, like every quarter. You know, I'm not asking for secret sauce here, but like do you have do you incorporate other factors that rebounce maybe more frequently or even less frequently to that kind of more traditional cadence.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that's a fascinating question. May I'll say that if I zoom it all slightly, I think it is. This kind of a medium frequency that you talked about is actually, in my mind, a very exciting place to be in the sense that a lot of the high frequency traders are essentially trading milliseconds intra day. So these are very much a technical oriented focus and that's a very exciting place.
Speaker 3: For a long time.
Speaker 4: And there are probably twenty thirty dominant players in there, and they've done very well, and there's a big competition going on. I think the exciting thing on for looking base is exactly to your point on this kind of a medium three quincy and medium investment horizon, I actually think that there's a this is uh, you know, if you will, I like to say that this is you need technology, computer science, engineering, but you also need the liberal arts. You also need economics and finance and understanding of policy and the geopolitics to really make that uh, to deliver consistent set of returns. So I think the nature of the game is actually quite different, and you know, in the high frequency or shorter horizon, you actually don't really need too much of a sensibility per se or economic intuition versus in the intermediate horizon to the you know, whether it's a value or momentum or minimum volatility, there is actually some economic story associated with it. So I think in that sense, I think the the big price I think in my mind on a forward looking basis is that, if you will, there are certain firms kind of sawt of the little bit of the high frequency trading game, and it's still very competitive and keep on evolving, But there's actually a set of very successful large incumbents. Now in this kind of medium horizon, I think the space is reasonably open, uh, discretionary, systematic, and you know maybe old fashion systematic, modern fashion, uh, you know, modern version of systematic. So that's a bit of a wide space that I think we'll see a bit more evolution forwardlooking basis.
Speaker 1: So one thing I think that's really interesting in systematic investing is, you know, I think a lot of folks see it as purely technical, but you know, there's still a research culture behind it. How do you foster idea generation and you know, intellectual diversity within you know, your systematic team.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's I mean, David, that's probably one of the most important thing. Uh. You know, even though we're talking about numbers and uh, technology and systems, I think ultimately this is a people business. We want to make sure that we hire the best in the world. At the same time, I think from a cultural perspective, I'll say that two things that I think has actually made a big difference for us, just to sort of looking inside out a little bit. It's I think one part is actually this concept of collaboration. Now it's a little bit overused words to a certain extent. But I think you know what we did was, actually we provide a tremendous amount of transparency for folks who join us.
Speaker 3: So, you know, forty years.
Speaker 4: Of IP and people on day one would get a tremendous amount of transparency to how we do things, what we do, and so that they kind of realize that there are a lot of work that's already been done, lots of ideas have already been tried. It's very intimidating because when I first started, I kind of realized that, Okay, most of the question that I thought with smart questions have already been answered five years before I joined, so you really need to step up. So but that level of transparency really fostered the level of collaboration, making sure that there's actually a lot of disciplines involved in solving hard problems, and that there's actually a lot of people trying to help each other. So it's actually one big platform really leverage that. So so that that part, I think from a cultural perspective, really help help that. I think the second part that I think is also probably equally important, this is I'm going to speak a little bit from the San Francisco Silicon Value perspective is that this idea that the world can be a better place and whatever is being done, uh it's all good, but there will be something better and more and different. Uh. So if you will this kind of outlier type of thinking, I think it's actually very central to our culture. It's not just to say, oh, everybody's actually done this kind of things before and we're just going to execute a little bit better.
Speaker 3: No, I mean we want to actually.
Speaker 4: Think from the basic principle and to see if we can do things fundamentally different on a forwardlooking basis. So I think these are the two things devid to a point. I think from the people talent and the cultural perspective, I think if you can get smart people to collaborate and then really allow them but also push them to really go for a different way of thinking, a different way of investing, I think that's actually been very much central to our DNA.
Speaker 2: I think it's an interesting comment about the transparency because that really gets people up the speed. And like you said, I feel like us quants answer the same question in five you know many different ways. You're so kind of building on these questions, so you know, there's these well known factors that I call open secrets and finance that people know the value moments and quality low of all you know, generally like what percent didch what you say of your research is involved in those factors, trying to refine them, trying to get the best combination, trying to even time them, versus trying to find new things that are bespoke that people might not know about or are not well known to add value.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think today I'll say very little to try to refine the open secret type of factors. I think this is actually also we've been on this journey for sixteen seventeen years, so it's really around twenty nine twenty ten. You know, our global head of research, Run Kong, back in twenty ten basically say you know what, we are not going to do value version number eleven. We're not going to do quality version seventeen. And you know, while there are other people who may want to do that, we're going to go on a completely different route, which is to look for new signals, new ideas that nobody has actually really thought about before. You know, simple things like you know, if you look at the job posting data in the United States, there are you know, millions of these job posting data. You know, that's a you know on companies website, on aggregator's database. And if you have that data set, you can essentially get a sense of Okay, is this company hiring and what type of skill set are they hiring? Modern skill sets versus old fashioned skill set. We have this signal idea which is jokingly called lung Python short Excel. You know, people who are hiring more Python oriented skill sets are more ready for the machine learning AI world and versus actually quite like Excel. But we're bet against the company that's hiring heavily into Excel oriented skill set. So you can actually have a new data set and come up with new factors, if you will, new signals and asking a bunch of questions you never thought about asking. And so we've been on that journey for sixteen seventeen years and fast for today it is you know, one thy five hundred signals or factors if you will, far far beyond the traditional, open secret type of traditional factors. And that really allow us to you know, really tap into the data engineering piece, the different learner piece, the some of the new new things in terms of you know, natural language processing, and fast forward today large language model. So I think once you open it up, you do realize the world is very big and there are many many places to go. And I think given the development of AI today, I'll see that that number is going to go skyrocket even more on our forelooking basis, just given the technology is getting a lot better.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, it's obviously fascinating what's happened with AI and data. And if we just think about data, what do you think the real edges today? Is it having unique data or you know, being better at extracting signals from widely available data.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, David, that's a very good question. I mean I would say that we probably don't necessarily see too much of a trade off. I think on one side of it is we are going for more and more data. You know, the number is like we have thirty thousand data sets on the platform, and that number I think is going to explode even more, especially in the world of synthetic data on top of you know, if you will sensor based or quote unquote real data. So I think that data explosion is going to continue. On the other side of it, I think given the more and more data that's available. I think it's also extraordinarily important to think about what are the interesting questions we're asking to this particular data set. To your point, extract more information from a particular data set. And I think that super exciting area because I think the quality of the questions in this kind of a big data machine learning era is very very important. And this ability to ask interesting questions I think now can also empowered by generative AI, so you can actually, you know, we have an interesting research which is actually essentially co working with large large language model try to extract more interesting questions that we have not thought about asking for a particular data set. So it is actually data to answer your question is actually broader but also deeper, more data sets. But it's also trying to make sure that we ask deeper questions to each individual data sets. And I think this is we can talk more about it. But I think this concept of scale in alpha generation, I think it's becoming increasingly critical. You need scale in data, you need scale in inside generation, you need scale in compute, you need scale in implementation. So how do you leverage the scale for innovation for alpha I think it's really going to be a bit of a defining theme in the years to come, you know.
Speaker 2: Jeff, you know obviously whatever you're willing to share here, but you know, kind of going back to the factor timing question, you know, and then let's just talk about traditional factors. And you said some of the extent of is like bottom up processes, or's top down processes. So let's focus on top down. So, like, if you can give us maybe just an idea of like the general things that maybe you could use the time factors, like is it the momentum of the factor, the evaluation differences, is some kind of economic regime, anything you could share that would be very valuable.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I give you maybe one specific example that I find it to be to be interesting, right, I mean, I think you mentioned regime, and you know, this is always an interesting concept in the sense that intuitively, with the twenty twenty hindsight, you know, where one can write us story about a particular environment happens. Certain you know, strategy is supposed to work, and then they work, and it's very comforting to see. But ACCENTI, how do you define a regime and how do you link the regime to the factor performance in a rotational sense? So the interesting work that we've done I think I'm happy to share is actually try to define the regime in a way that that's much more machine learning driven. Is to say, let's look at everything going on in the world, you know, different asset prices, different economic variables, and you can actually use a machine learning algorithm to essentially define what type of environment that is given all the you know, if you will time serious data that you observe in a particular period, and then you can actually you look at sort of you know, we use a sort of fancy Euclidian distance term, but you can look at how similar this regime is to the history that we've actually seen. Some people say, well, if all your price is going to so this way, it looks like nineteen seventies, or if there's actually a private credit issue, this may look like a Carbinger of you know, two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight mortgage crisis. So whatever the talk that may be, I think you can actually verify it with a more machine learning algorithm to say, okay, let me actually look at the Euclidan distance between this and to see how is that defining a particular regime in a systematic fashion and then you can link that to the factory performance to say, this is a regime, how did this factor do? Allow the machine to learn the factory performance in different regimes once you define it, and then you know, once the market price start to move, you can identify the regime and then in relation to that factory performance from a timing perspective. So that's maybe one specific example that I think is very intuitive, but it's actually what human we as a human well look at market do anyway, but it's actually in this where you can quantify it, you can systematize it, and you can also do it in a bit of unbiased way.
Speaker 1: So it sounds like AI machine learning or really making things a lot more efficient for you. Are you also or do you think it's also genuinely improving investment outcomes too?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I think I think it's definitely we see it, you know, David to a point on two front. One is actually certainly about efficiency in the sense that the average researchers are becoming a lot more productive, the average portfolio managers are becoming much more capable of managing many more portfolios than before. So there is a scaling, there's a bit of efficiency gain aspect of it. And the second part, executly to your point is also I do think that from a performance perspective is that once you have a big stack in terms of data, in terms of learners, in terms of assystems and secution, it is actually possible to drive the diversification. From alpha perspective. You know, clearly multi strategy hedge fund have been very successful in general in the hedge fund industry a quarter of the assets and growing very rapidly. I think that's also there's a lesson learned there, which is really if you deploy scale across different parts, across different technologies. We have a little bit different way of looking at it, but it's ultimately it is about driving that scale in the type of strategies horizon insights, and that's where you can drive both the consistency uh, but also the differentiation UH. And I think that's if you will, the the from an investment outcome perspective, also, the consistency and differentiation are probably two most important, UH, two important metrics you want to you know, all perform consistently from a sharper information racial perspective, but you also want to make sure that when there's a market warble, when there's all your price spike, or when there's certain things happening in the market that's impacting active managers at large, that you have a differentiated way of looking at the world, that's the strategy is actually performing better than some of the competitors. So I think that's yes. So the short answer to that is, so we've certainly seen that, you know, not only this year, but also over the years, and I think this idea that you can build scale underneath it, and you can build that consistency and differentiation even more on a forelooking basis using these modern tools. That's certainly a very high confidence view that I have.
Speaker 2: You know, let me ask you another kind of long standing quant debate that everyone has, right, and that's around the interpretability of signals or factors, you know, the traditional factor world. You know, we have all these thoughts about why the traditional factors work. There's behavioral reasons, there's risk based reasons, there's economic intuition stories as to why momentumcial work value should work. And then I see other people say, you know, if you find the signal that's statistically significant, that's robust, but you're not really sure why it's working, you could still use it. What is What is your opinion on that?
Speaker 4: The opinion is both. I guess that's that's that's short answer. I think we have been a very much in the first camp. We quite sensibility. So this is the idea that an idea needs to make economic sense or intuitive sense for us to use it. So that's been a long run tradition for close to forty years, and that's still very much well in the life. At the same time, I think, you know, we've been working with some of the AI related the professors and at Stamford, at Berkeley and other universities, and I think, you know, there's this professor Stephen Boyd who at Stamford who works with us. Back fifteen sixteen years ago, he told me, he said, maybe you want to let the data to speak a bit more, and this idea that when we use machine learning, it is actually open minded learning using machine and that data intelligence should come into the process without too much of a human.
Speaker 3: Intervention, if you will.
Speaker 4: And that part, certainly, you know, was a bit of a shock to some of economists and finance oriented people fifteen sixteen years ago to say, I mean that doesn't make any sense or doesn't make any sort of long term, long term reason, but I would say that that evolution has happened for us. So the answer is both. There are plenty of things that we do that has a very strong economic inquation and reason, But then there are stuff that's actually a little bit more machine intelligence that we set it up such that we intentionally want to get data, let data to shine through the in this of an AI machine learning world, and I think that's especially important. You know, we talked about horizon earlier. If I were to do stuff at the millisecond high frequency space, the economic intuition.
Speaker 3: Matters much less.
Speaker 4: It's very much letting the data speak, because in milliseconds, economics, geopolitics matter very little on a day to day basis. And at the same time, on this kind of a one month two month investment horizon, it's actually quite important to get that economic intuition. But we're also living in a world where there's abundance of abundance of data, abundance of machine learning algorithm, so letting that to speak is also very important. So I think, yeah, we are we are a little bit of a school of we got to use both and.
Speaker 3: Both can be helpful.
Speaker 1: So if we think about taking these signals and you know, putting them into a portfolio, you know, two different managers can look at the exact same signals and you know, might end up with two very very different portfolios. So how much of you know, I guess alpha or like an edge could come from portfolio construction once you have those signals.
Speaker 3: I would say very important.
Speaker 4: Portfolio construction is something that I think clearly mein variance optimization has been around for decades and it's a common practice for a lot of the systematic investors. And I think what we've actually done is also try to put quite a bit of innovation on back front. You know, machine learning, newer network there's actually been you know, deep learning, there's actually been quite a bit of innovation that's been that has happened that can be applied to portfolio construction as well. So I think you can almost think about min variance optimization as your basic benchmark, and it has its own pluses, it has its own minuses, and some of its modern techniques using machine learning at least, you know for us has you're proven to be very additive above and beyond, and once you get into that world. You also realize that there's a lot of flexibility in using some of these modern tools, and the search space is a lot larger, you know mein variance optimization from a grading descent perspective sometimes can narrow you into a corner solution, a local maximum pretty quickly, and the search space may not be as large as flexible. And once you adopt, you know, some of these modern tools, I think a more simulation based approach also becomes a lot more important daily To answer your question is like, you can do this, you know certain methods, a certain way of doing it, but how do you know it is a best and a much more simulation oriented approach. Using these modern methods allow us to really to get a bit of a sense of what the search space is. So I would say that the application of a machine learning A lot of people think about this essentially it's a fancy large language model and that's about it. But I would say that this is actually what I would like to call it, a big umbrella AI. AI can be applied not only to the large language model, which is certainly very exciting, but it can also apply to a profolio construction risk management simulation. Many things. So that's so we certainly want to use a full stack of AI as opposed to just one narrow application.
Speaker 2: Jeff, I want to ask you about like kind of like the risk side, specifically factor risk model. So like when you construct your portfolio and you have these longs and shorts, do you run it through any kind of factor risk model to see kind of like your maybe unintended bets that you're making and hedge them out or do you not do that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. We certainly look at the factory exposure. And I think from a risk management perspective, I think I think it's certainly we understand the factor potential, but also the potential risk associated with factors and also the time varying nature of this. But at the same time, I think if that's all the world that you're living, then the factory risk model becomes very important, and how do you model that? I'll see that from our perspective is actually we're trying to narrow that particular factor lens. It's still you know, in our legacy, in our history. We certainly want to look at it that way. A lot of market participants certainly look at it that way. But if you open up some of its potential for IDROO syncretic you know, security selection that's above and beyond factors. Once you open that up, you realize that there's actually a lot more interesting things above and beyond the factors, and some of them may carry it to your point, some factory loading to it. You may want to, you know, model it out and making sure you hedge it and make sure you don't you know, you don't you're getting the purefied exposure. But I see that's the overall risk management is certainly think about the factor risk exposure carefully and try to moderate it. For us, it's actually trying to be differentiated. It's actually just basically not have too much in this kind of factory loading and factory risk. But then it opens up this new world of IDEO syncretic risk taking. You know, this idea of you can be broad and deep. So this you know, factories is probably only broad but not very deep. And maybe the fundamental discretion investors are only deep but not necessarily broad. And we're trying to do both. And that space, in my mind is a rich opportunity set from an alpha generation perspective.
Speaker 1: So how do you think about or I should say, how, how should allocators think about that in terms of systematic equity alongside discretionary strategies. Do you see them as conplimary or you know, is their overlap at all?
Speaker 4: I think it's it's a sort of maybe our I'll step back a little bit. I'll see that this definition of systematic versus discretionary certainly is very relevant and probably will be relevant. But from allocator perspective, I would also think about maybe one additional lens, which is trying to think about modern versus the traditional. Uh there are you know, modern tradition, I mean discretionary managers and then their old fashioned systematic quantitative investors. And I think this concept of being modern, I think in the world of AI development is extraordinarily important. So I think at the from allocator perspective, I'll say that's a try to get active managers that are actually moderan on both front. Now, I mean, eventually is there going to be a you know, more AI adoptions for the discretionary managers and more AI you know adoption in the systematic managers. And therefore this concept of being both broad and h and deep all converge into one thing. There could be but I think this is how modern you are. I think it's a pretty important concept from allocator perspective. I think one more lens, given you know what Christopher was talking about earlier. I also think that this factor versus pure alpha piece is also very important. What you realize is that when you have multiple strategies, when you put them together, I using credit, alpha sometimes actually gets diversified away and what you are left with is actually a bit of a compounded factory exposure. This is a you know, very important concept from a central desk management, from a multi strategy of the perspective, but I think from allocator perspective it's also very important. You don't want to just hire ten managers, but all you have left is essentially momentum bed and that's a very expensive way to get momentum exposure. So how do you make sure that the portfolio from a CAT perspectives been driven by idosyncratic security selection in a very diversified fashion and be constraining some of the factory exposure and knowing some of the all alativity associated with it. I think that's a very important question for the educator as well.
Speaker 1: And you know, as more capital continues to flow in these type of systematic strategies. How do you think about crowding in you know, the potential durability of alpha.
Speaker 4: I think it's certainly something that we worry about deeply, having gone through August O seven. Uh, you know, I was certainly with the firm back I joined two thousand and four, So I think some of this crowding issue, certainly, you know, was a lived experience and certainly very much important, uh, to to be cognizant of. At the same time, I think I'm actually reasonably optimistic from a capacity from a you know, diversity of the strategy perspective, in the sense that I think the modern methods and the availability of the data and how you know, you can mean we were talking about how to use this data, it really becomes much more of an open ended question. Uh. It's actually I think it's time for creativity. It's a time for uh, if you will, liberal arts thinking on this. So if you can do that, there's actually a lot of diversity thinking that you can actually get to drive alpha stream that could be you know, much less uh, you know, get you get you into some of these crowded trades and can open up capacity, and so I think the if a scale player can play the creativity game, I actually think that the capacity will be large, ELPA will be differentiated and you can actually avoid some of the crowded traits. Now, to build that, I think you you really need to build a large scale platform that is ready to innovate at that scale. So innovation at scale is easily said than done. But I do think that for the platform that I can do that. I think on a forward looking basis, this is actually a very exciting period, if not the most exciting over the last forty fifty years, and that's going to drive longer term durability to the alpha generation. You deliver that consistency but also differentiation.
Speaker 1: That's great. Unfortunately we need to end here, but this was a lot of fun. Jeff, thank you again for joining us today.
Speaker 3: Thank you both. It's great to be here.
Speaker 1: And Chris, thank you again for being my co host.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thank you so much. Javis is great.
Speaker 1: Also want to thank our listeners. If you liked the episode, please share, subscribe, and leave a review. If you'd like to see more of our research on the terminal, go to bi fund, Go for fund and Active Research in Bisto x En go for equity strategy research until our next episode. This is David com but inside active.
Speaker 2: It has Torso
Speaker 3: Town to sup