Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: It's your birthday, well not technically, but you know, for real, for real, but people, listen.
Speaker 3: I'm not looked at the calendar yet.
Speaker 2: So oh okay, all right, well listen.
Speaker 3: What day is it? Wednesday? Thursday?
Speaker 2: It is Wednesday, your birthday? I wait, wait, isn't it?
Speaker 3: I think it's Thursday.
Speaker 4: No, it's it's next Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Is what day like to the twelfth? Thirteenth?
Speaker 4: Thirteenth? Next Wednesday? Today is the twentieth. Okay, yeah, so this is my last week?
Speaker 3: Is forty nine? Okay, I get it.
Speaker 2: Now, Oh my god, a mayor. All right, so listen, let me just get to it because I wrote a whole thing for this, all right. Today it's not about you hosting this show. We are Tay can get away from you. Let me get up my little remarks that I have made for you.
Speaker 3: Mister Thompson, you're doing this Justice Suprise.
Speaker 2: Yes, I am surprised. Okay, so, amir, this isn't this, thank you, It's fifty and this is the show everyone has been waiting for that you may hate why because today we celebrate you and the first fifty years you have given the world today, we hear about you without having to hear your longer versions of these stories. I love it and why you ask? Oh, you're going to hear these words a lot. Apologies early because we love you. So here is what's going to happen on today's episode. Mister Thompson, Bill Fonte, Steve and I will host a healthy selection of people in your life who you love and respect. Their task is to tell a classic the mere story. Of course, all did not necessarily meet the requirements of one minute limit because they are your tribe. But they showed up.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's people in the waiting room.
Speaker 2: No to our folks that are listening. I have intentionally kept these videos to myself so that the guys can all bask in the glory of the real stories behind a mirror. K leeb questlove Thompson.
Speaker 3: Anyway, and this is your life? I love this, Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, before I start from the beginning, I would like to start with some words from somebody who is a little louder and loves a little harder. Before we go sentimental, are you ready a mir You're supposed to say?
Speaker 3: You know it all right?
Speaker 2: Nobody will look at my crazy scream when I do this and here.
Speaker 5: Go.
Speaker 6: Okay, not only is a Mayor one of the greatest drummers ever like Buddy Rich Gray. Not only is he one of the greatest DJs ever like grand Master Flash, DJ Jazzy, Jeff Gray. But what I love about Amir Amir is the greatest fan in the world.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 5: No one appreciates the arts.
Speaker 3: More than a Mirr.
Speaker 6: No one in the whole world appreciates a good movie, a good song, a great album, a great book. He's that guy. Now, occasionally he will recommend some bullshit because he has a great heart.
Speaker 7: He'll say some dumb shit.
Speaker 6: Barber Shop three was the best one.
Speaker 3: Well, here's on The great thing.
Speaker 6: About Amir that you know has to be said. He's a great man like this is a grown ass man that lives life to the fullest, like the.
Speaker 2: Don't get high.
Speaker 3: And he is absolutely rock and roll.
Speaker 6: Okay, my man is rock and roll. I've had some of the best times all over the world.
Speaker 3: With this guy.
Speaker 6: Okay, as one of my favorite people on the face of the earth. He is a trustworthy, decent man, and I hope to be like him someday when I grow up.
Speaker 5: Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 6: We are all honor, We are all privileged to know a mirror quest motherfucking love.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, oh god, wait can I can I add a breaker? Getting started?
Speaker 2: We just getting joy.
Speaker 3: Something like this? Yeah, this is the whole mood. Now to settle in against some weeds. Maybe.
Speaker 8: And I received the love, You receive the love for twenty Yes, I've started my weed journey.
Speaker 3: Grace has taught me to accept love. My flowers.
Speaker 4: Okay, flowers didn't do that, Covic.
Speaker 2: I have another surprise for you, and and still keeping it light. But this is from one of your former favorite former broadcasters, ex Quest Love Supreme guests, who has framed everything that we know about b Et. Check out the special tribute that he did just for you. Okay, and here we go.
Speaker 1: Mary Birthday and Miryror.
Speaker 9: You know, COVID is maybe crazy and you about to catch some of it right here in this tribute to you. Born in seventy one in Pennsylvania's biggest city. This year, a mere fIF when he's spinning in the club, you know, the club gonna be.
Speaker 3: Litty this year, A mere fifty.
Speaker 9: Those Jackson's shirts, I'm jealous, they're nifty. This year a Mere's fifth Ashley Simpsons still want to fight you over MILLI Vanilly.
Speaker 3: She don't care if you're fifty to see you.
Speaker 9: Get them dollars from Disney. This year a Mere's fifty non secretary. I'm gonna wear this shirt signed by Tailor's fifty.
Speaker 3: This slow fill.
Speaker 1: In the summer of eighteen sixty.
Speaker 3: The very last slave shift.
Speaker 9: Then we would not be celebrating a Mere turning fifty.
Speaker 3: Elect some nineteen sixteen. I was on QLs that night, turn shitty.
Speaker 9: But this year, the day we get a new president is the day a Mere turns fifty. Mary Birthday to you, my man, Stephen Hill's signing in and signing out. Stay safe and have a great birthday.
Speaker 3: Yeo of step would make a multimedia prison.
Speaker 4: Tell Stephen that was a presentation that was epic.
Speaker 3: I thought it was MC Paul Barman at yo.
Speaker 8: Do I totally wait because I closed my eyes because she said, don't look.
Speaker 3: The first thing I.
Speaker 8: Thought was, I was like, oh, Paul flow like I like this joy. He pasted his head on scarface.
Speaker 10: Ye I don't know if you realize that that means watch on At that point was.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's going up and for everybody who's like that, we're I need to see the visual. We're gonna definitely put that on our QLs Instagram and whatnot.
Speaker 3: Oh man, that's great, thank you.
Speaker 2: And I want you to get used to that, because that was as fancy as it really got, as far as likes and whatnot.
Speaker 3: Hey man, this makes up for.
Speaker 2: It, Okay, all right, So now that we've.
Speaker 8: Done that, you know where I'm gun shy about these things, right Why because night, during the night that I thought that they were going to throw me like a big ass. I thought that Stacey and Yami were throwing me this big ass thirtieth bash. And then I came to this spot and it was like emptiest ship and I realized they only wanted me to spend for Martin Luther King's.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, well and then pleasant mirror your herd because you know, for the longest time, but you said thank God for grace because now you're in a place where you ready to receive all this love. You see, I'm stalling as I'm queuing up my next.
Speaker 11: And the fact and I'm gonna say the fact that he's ready to receive it makes this episode not as much fun because I was so ready.
Speaker 8: I'm fighting squirm, Yes, I'm squirming like a motherfucking type.
Speaker 2: But well, y'all think he ready, but he might well, he might not be ready for this next one. So now that we've had some fun, let's start with some things that we may not know about a mirror from the beginning of his life, with the person who we would not who would be, who was the reason that we know him period. I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: My mom, your mama, God, Mama. Love.
Speaker 12: This is to you on your birthday.
Speaker 13: You know you've told every story that probably that could be told about you.
Speaker 12: But I have one that I don't think anyone knows.
Speaker 13: And it's about Dawn coming home from school one day while she was in grade school asking me, Mommy, I want you to have a baby, and I told her, oh, sure, okay, I said, God will have to give it to me. So I proceeded to try to have to get pregnant, and in the process of doing that, nothing happened. Each month I would be disappointed. So I guess six or seven months went by and she said, Mommy, is God mad at you? I forgot I had told don this, and I said no, I don't think so why she said, because you said babies come from God, and you don't. You're not having a baby.
Speaker 11: So I then.
Speaker 12: Thought, okay, I have to go.
Speaker 13: About this different. I went to the doctor, got examined, and you went through the whole everything, the whole gamut. And the doctor told me, look, you're fine, You're healthy.
Speaker 12: You can get pregnant.
Speaker 13: And on my way home, I thought, God, I want a son so bad. And I thought, I'm not gonna tell anyone about it. I'm just gonna keep praying and asking for her son. And I did get pregnant, and I was so happy. I mean I think I started.
Speaker 12: Wearing maternity clothes two months, three months. I was just happy to be pregnant. And I went to Lama's classes.
Speaker 13: You know, I'm gonna have the natural childbirth, and I want everything to be right.
Speaker 12: And so the day came when it was time for me to go.
Speaker 13: To the hospital, January twentieth, and I got to the hospital and I was in.
Speaker 12: The room and they wanted to give me, you.
Speaker 13: Know, we wanted to give you some pain. No, I said, no, get I'm taking nothing. I want my child to come in. And I didn't know if it was male or female. I just knew that I was praying for.
Speaker 5: A male.
Speaker 12: And I said, no, I am, I'm not taking anything.
Speaker 13: I want my child to come into this world with a clear head and not have any kind of medication going through it. So at the same time, this young doctor walked into the room and in his name was Gordon Hotus, and he introduced hisself and told him I'm going to be here with you and did all the things he was supposed to do. Took a long time for different things to happen, so they said take her downstairs to get They wanted to get some shots.
Speaker 12: I guess X rays or something.
Speaker 13: Because if it's taking long for you to come and you finally we get on the elevator, I'm sorry. We get on the elevator, and I was like, what if I have the baby down there, what happens? Don't worry about that.
Speaker 12: We're going to take care it. So just being anxious.
Speaker 13: And when I we did the x rays, got back on the elevator, came upstairs to the room.
Speaker 12: And my water grop brushed me to the birthing room.
Speaker 13: And I just I just knew last week from here you and I were talking about manifestation and attention, and I thought.
Speaker 12: Those prayers came true.
Speaker 13: Not only did I get a gorgeous baby who is now my son. I was trading for the world. But I want to thank you for choose for choosing me to be your mother, because you did. I really believe I wasn't giving pregnant because you weren't ready to choose the mother that you wanted. But you chose me to be your mother. And I love you so dearly. You are so precious to me. And like I said, happy birthday, and I just love you. And thank Dawn for telling me you have a baby.
Speaker 3: Man, have you ever heard that story of me?
Speaker 8: I have not heard that story. Y'all got me good? Yeah, y'all got me good. I knew, Okay, So I believe once my dad told me that.
Speaker 3: They were trying.
Speaker 8: I believe in sixty seven sixty eight to have me, and after like seven or eight attempts, they gave up, like they just thought, like, well, we can't get pregnant no more. So I do know that. You know, it was a three to four year attempt to have me. So I came in seventy.
Speaker 3: How many how many users between you and down we are seven. Oh wow, oh wow, I realized.
Speaker 2: How lotion do y'all use around there?
Speaker 3: Money? The best loas miss.
Speaker 2: Jack miss Jackie already she always looked like that. She's just always been a gorgeous woman in that way.
Speaker 3: Nah nah, I really wish people could see these pictures like his.
Speaker 2: It's amazing, and she gave us permission. We're going to put that on the QLs social so everybody can see it. Everybody's going to be able to see everything. But you know, you just you hear it here first.
Speaker 3: Thank you who we got hold on a second?
Speaker 10: I mean, that was like incredible, it was, and it also explains a lot you were late get being born, you were late being conceived.
Speaker 14: This explains everything you've been late since before you.
Speaker 3: Were I know, emo, I'm the original here you go.
Speaker 2: Also else interesting about a mirror and I'll let his sister explain. But your first words were they was rather like offensive?
Speaker 15: Damn yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh and oh yeah walk on music too.
Speaker 2: Adonda, Yes, your sister Dante.
Speaker 16: Of course, at one year old, my brother's first words were Mama, dad, motherfucker.
Speaker 17: My adorable baby brother. Amir colleb Thompson, The circumstances. Our parents were newly signed to a major label and they were on tour that year, so my brother, Amir and I spent time with relatives in La.
Speaker 5: We had a cousin.
Speaker 17: Who lived in Compton who with sometimes baby sit us, come pick us up and drive us to hang out with his friends. He was a crip okay, So basically my brother got the full immersion and I became low key fluent in the art of cousin at once. So imagine months later, the tour is over and we're reunited with our parents and at hello, Amir very casually unleashes a garden variety of profanity, a whirlwind avarage of obscenity.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, my mom was mortified.
Speaker 17: Me on the other hand, and I'm nine, He's won, And from my perspective, it was it was magical. This was wonderment.
Speaker 3: That's what it was like for me.
Speaker 17: I was like, look at him, go you know, it was like I had my own little leprechaun and you wouldn't know what nine you don't, you know, just cuse out your parents. But he was one and he didn't get it. My mom, Remy did it by reading a book on child's psychology that talked about being non reactive and it passes, and it did. Growing up with the mirror, growing up with you a mirror was an adventure. It was otherworldly. It was black, lindsay, it was a gift. So on your special day, and the only way I know how to say it, I say, who's counting? And keep up that high pro glow as is the Thompson exactly, the Thompson Lewis way. I love you, have a happy birthday.
Speaker 4: All that movie thing she had, all eye movie directing, she took yeah, and I was like, all kind of ship.
Speaker 3: Wait till the world.
Speaker 10: Sees the editing techniques of dog man ship and I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah yo. I was like, I was a full blown crip. I have photos for real.
Speaker 8: I was rocking on blues had derbies and they were not happy. Yes, even on tape. I always say motherfudder, motherfudder, motherfudder, motherfudder. Wait you were a crypt at what age two? All my cousins all were crips. Yeah, all my like when they were making the Congress Alley record, we stayed in content with my grandmother and all of my cousins were crips. Like wow, the original like Monster Cody, the first generation moneah Ogs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were those.
Speaker 2: Your family stay loyal because the sample does your dad and your mom is the Snoop Johns, and they stay like crip loyal. So I'm not gonna make you say too much to stay in your childhood. But I do have one more that's a little shorter that I know is going to be a super duper surprised, and I think that y'all will all be surprised by. And here we.
Speaker 18: Go, Happy birthday, on Mere. I'm going to take you back just about forty five years ago when we first and that was when your parents, Jackie and Lee, brought you to the Performing Arts School of Philadelphia for an interview and to enroll you in the elementary school program. Your parents, of course, both being professional performers, decided that an education that included the arts was the place for you. And I was doing double duty getting a degree in dance but also serving as the classroom teacher for a group of about twelve elementary school children, and the director of the school, doctor nage and Ahmik, asked me to interview you to assess your potential for joining the group as a kindergarten student. Well, you walked into the interview with your very remarkable afro and just as remarkable smile. We had a great chat, as I remember, and at the end of it, I asked, I'm here, what do you want to do and what do you want to be when you grow up? You said, oh, Pearl, I'm going to be a drummer. I then asked you if perhaps you wanted to study an additional instrument like the piano or violin, just in case, and you said, very indignantly, no, Pearl, I am going to be a drummer, and a very famous drummer. What was so astounding was the clarity and intensity with which you knew, at such a tender age exactly who and what you were to become. And of course the rest is history. Fast forward to a couple of years ago, when I had the pleasure of watching you perform live at the Tonight show fulfilling the prophecy of that four and a half year old not only to become a drummer, but a very famous one. Happy birthday, I'm here and thank you so much for the privilege of teaching you so many years ago.
Speaker 8: Oh man, give me man, Wow. Yeah, she was the teacher that she's the one that started. If you want to know the seeds of my liner note book writing history, that's where it starts. Like my first homework assignment, Songs in the Key of Life just came out the week of the first day of school, and so, oh wow, that was our homework. We had to all purchase songs in the Key of Life. And of course if you brought the album, there's a booklet inside there's thirty pages of everything. So you know, in that class, I learned what an orchestra section was, I learned what thank you notes were, and I beg that that was the book I was obsessed with. And then you know that that planet the seeds of my liner note addiction writing. Shout out to miss Schaffer. Wow, but I mean this is emotional. Why am I crying? As question virtual zoom and I'm a podcast I know. Yeah, man, Wow, that's really beautiful. I'm not even y'all broke me down. I'm not even ashamed to take these flowers. I didn't think it would go this day.
Speaker 3: I loved this flower, taking mantra so into it. Yeah, four flowers, let's go whole. God damn garden.
Speaker 2: I feel like I should break up. Like the sadness of it is, this, is it getting? Is it getting too said?
Speaker 3: Give me a mean story.
Speaker 2: Fired, I'll give you somebody else who makes us laugh? Who was one of our favorite Questlove Supreme guests. How about that who actually is very important to you and is a mentor? How about that? We do that? Okay, okay, let's see who. Let's see who that is.
Speaker 3: Show search.
Speaker 5: Quest Love.
Speaker 19: You're fifty fifty from a fellow fifty something, I just want to let you know fifty is cool. Not saying that you're just being cool. You've always been cool. Well that one time that you came to the retreat and as infused corn and started playing drums on everybody's song and then you go sleep and trailer and almost miss styling.
Speaker 4: That's not cool.
Speaker 19: But fifty is cool and you're cool now. I appreciate you, my brother, a lifelong friendship. We have to do more drum DJ sets, even though you DJ now and you did it by yourself and kind of x me.
Speaker 3: Out, But we're not gonna talk about that.
Speaker 19: I want to wish my fellow aquarium a very happy fiftieth birthday. Much love, my brother, you are officially cool fifty quist.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you, Jeff.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 8: So this goes back to the Steve a Mere being late thing. I was late to to the uh the retreat.
Speaker 3: Jeff. Jeff has his annual playlist plays playlist Treat Delaware, right in Delaware.
Speaker 8: So we were done shooting Fall and we rushed down ninety five to Delaware. And I got there and you know, there was a taco truck. So I was hungry. So I had a taco. Then I had two tacos. All this Mexican corn. I'm grubbing it up, and not once did anyone tell me that it was infused taco with like at least it had to be in like three hundred four hundred megagrams of weed in it. I didn't even know.
Speaker 2: People, you know a Mere. It's funny you say that. I think you are cuing my next video, because you know, of course, the assignment was to ask folks, you know, their favorite of mirror story, and there are some really interesting parallels with your fellow roots mate, stro. I would just like to play.
Speaker 20: Your birthday brother, Mirr. I know everybody else probably has crazy story and stories and drugs because they've known you longer, but that doesn't mean that I don't at least have one, which was I remember specifically we caught you were so gracious to book a car for us to go down to Jazzy Jeff's.
Speaker 5: Playlist retreat right after a gig.
Speaker 20: We went down there, there was food, there was music, There were some things in the food. You didn't realize that until it was too late, And that lasted till the following day at work, in which we showed up and everything seemed fine, except for the fact that we were running through the sandwiches and walk ons and stuff that we normally play. And some of these walk ons and these sandwiches were very chopped and screwed.
Speaker 5: Some of them were very.
Speaker 20: Kanye, all very different tempos in which we normally in comparison what you normally play them. But the funniest moment happened on air while taping, and I had this footage in my phone, and I'm so mad that it's not in my phone anymore, because I never deleted anything.
Speaker 5: Jimmy asked you a question.
Speaker 20: On the air, and you gave the dumbest response only man, which was huh, super funny. I probably last internally for the rest of the episode because I knew what that response was. Jimmy probably knew what that response was, and he moved on very quickly.
Speaker 3: But I never forgot it. Birthday, Bro?
Speaker 4: Why does he look and sound like he's in Soul the movie?
Speaker 3: Right right?
Speaker 21: Is that just me?
Speaker 3: Like he'd sounds like he like what.
Speaker 4: Does he play the saxophone on the street corner?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 8: It stows right like it it not. It knocked me out at Jeff's. But the thing was, I immediately went to sleep, and then I got in the car and slept in the car. The thing is is that when you do that, you the rest of my bod like you know, obviously I was still huh and so when I started drumming, immediately it kicked in. When I started drumming, and yeah, that was the highest ever, one of the highest I ever.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious, is it?
Speaker 2: Because it's funny you say that a mirror because I have another?
Speaker 3: It's just come on, who is this?
Speaker 22: Oh?
Speaker 2: Did you already know that it was?
Speaker 3: Because he's he loves the story good.
Speaker 23: I wish a happy old man birthday to my old head.
Speaker 3: Quest all love you know what I mean? Getting up there, old head.
Speaker 23: You know, I was asked to put a video together small things, just to kind of give a story about something that, you know, something from our past, and figure, at the rate you're going at this point, what does it matter if I tell his story? You know, it's not like you can get in trouble. Hopefully your mom doesn't see it that I'll never ever forget the time that we were in Amsterdam. Oh yeah, stay in Amsterdam. But it was the first thing that came to my mind when you know, this was asking me to give a story. So I remember sitting in a coffee shop and you know, having good times like we used to do back when we used to travel, you know, back in the day, and we go to get something to eat after because you know, that's what you do after you have fun in the coffee shop, you go get something to eat.
Speaker 3: So we go get something to eat.
Speaker 23: But in this place that we were eating, they offered, you know, desserts and things like that, and you know, we know you're a foodie, so what's the pace. It's a chocolate cake right right up your alley. We get a piece of chocolate cake. We're like all of us, me rich rique you. We're all sitting there and we're eating this chocolate cake. And at that time, you know, you were very wholesome, so to speak, and clean, and you know you don't touch the the other things in the world that we used to get into. And for fun, you decided you'd have a piece of chocolate cake. And yeah, I remember the piece of chocolate cake. It was fucking delicious, you know what I'm saying. But you know, a piece of chocolate cake the way they made it, you do one and done.
Speaker 3: Man. But nah, not a mirror.
Speaker 5: Not a mirror.
Speaker 23: He's like, this shit is good. I need another piece of cake. I'm like, dude, don't eat another piece of cake. Eats another piece of cake and even know what happened after that, right, All I'm gonna say is somebody I thought they saw Mickey Mouse chasing started hitting the table in the restaurant being crazy and runs out of the restaurant saying that Mickey Mouse was chasing him.
Speaker 5: I don't know, man, it looks.
Speaker 7: To me like you come along with.
Speaker 24: Your old age and now you're you know.
Speaker 23: You don't have those things going on anymore, all right, So that's my story.
Speaker 3: Funniest Ship to.
Speaker 23: Me, I wish you all were there, but you just can't imagine how this might have looked. And it was crazy, A big giant dude with an afro, you know, out of control and running from Mickey Mouse in the streets.
Speaker 3: Of Ampsteam's mirror k e. It was just ship.
Speaker 8: It was the very first time ever I got high off of the edibles off edible now the craziest thing. But the craziest thing was we also saw Keith sweat and.
Speaker 3: Silk walking around.
Speaker 2: Exactly mir No.
Speaker 8: I mean when they were chasing me, when I was like, I gotta get out there, I gotta get out of here, and I was like brisk walking.
Speaker 3: The thing was is that it's funny.
Speaker 8: I had one of the moments where I had one of the moments where I think, that's the first time that like subconsciously I was like, oh man, like in retrospect, that was one of the first times I.
Speaker 3: Was like, wow, really does care about me.
Speaker 8: Because the thing is is that the thing is that you got to realize is that when you're walking in Amsterdam, there's these long what do you call it, where the boats are and whatnot, and they don't have like guards in them. You know what I mean, and the like if you fall town, yeah, you fall into the canal. That shit could be like one hundred feet you know what I'm saying. So I definitely remembered like walking so out of control that tik Ambridge felt the need to stand on my right side to prevent me from falling into the canal.
Speaker 3: And I also.
Speaker 8: Remember yo the go keefl Sweat and Silk and like trying to chase them yo all yeah, that.
Speaker 11: Was part of that story, is that you actually recognize the members of Silk.
Speaker 3: I'm the R and B dude, and the food is in my living room right now. G. I know, lot G Yeah, the little G. Yeah, little G.
Speaker 1: I know little G.
Speaker 3: And I know keep sweat. I don't know what the head.
Speaker 4: They're in your kitchen cooking with your wife so bad right now?
Speaker 3: That is like going up.
Speaker 8: That was nineteen ninety five. Silk was absolutely unavoidable. Silk, like you're in their relationship with American R and B was at its height. So yes, you if you see Keith Sweat walking around nighttime and with five dudes, then you like, yes, that's Silk. So and Mickey, Yeah, I remember like them like a mere stop, shut up, stop on their spot up like they were very annoyed that I kept yelling silk.
Speaker 16: Through the silk.
Speaker 2: Who yells there go silk? That's why.
Speaker 3: For the first time in this life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of the roots, I gotta I got a slide in. Uh, one of your favorite members who has already hit the fifties club that you know has a lot of jokes for.
Speaker 3: You in the sixties club.
Speaker 8: I think this guy is ninety fiftieth birthday to my brother Emir Afro Custo Thompson.
Speaker 3: Fifty man, you made it.
Speaker 24: Congratulations. You come a long way from that little weird old dude that would see walking around West Philly and on the g bus to now look at.
Speaker 3: You, you old.
Speaker 5: Good one.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 24: We've written a lot of songs together, had countless studio sessions together, countless times on the stage, countless fights in the arguments, you know, which is what brothers are supposed to do. Anyway, I just want to say happy birthday to the one dude that will reference.
Speaker 5: Sammy Davis Jr.
Speaker 24: When he was on the Yugoslavian TV show in nineteen seventy five, and we will reference that and get mad at the rest of the band that we don't know what you talk about not knowing.
Speaker 3: That's cool, that's who you are.
Speaker 24: Man, shout out much love, man, enjoyed the day, be blessed peace.
Speaker 8: Jays a guitar I love, I love James. But in that clip, I also see a bongo that I've been looking for for the last fifteen years on the floor.
Speaker 3: The Wow, Petty.
Speaker 2: Is such a portion of our Birthda that's.
Speaker 1: My electric circus bongo. I've been looking for that.
Speaker 2: Jo Petty is very Aquarius people.
Speaker 8: It is part Mans. James James is my guy man. Wow wait wait Bill, did you say was he in Guitar Center?
Speaker 25: Yeah?
Speaker 4: It looked like James like Sam.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was a very impressive uh studio.
Speaker 4: Like guitars he doesn't play, and a bunch of keyboards for sure.
Speaker 8: Yes, that guitar that is on his album cover hanging up on the top left.
Speaker 10: Sammy Davis really do ago.
Speaker 3: It was a breakbeat that I was trying to flip.
Speaker 2: For kind for real, Damn a mirror it's me, yo, it isn't me. Does James get more Jamaican as he gets older? That accent was like a.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 2: Yo, all right, okay, all right, but that's is round. One more route, one more route, one more route. If you don't mind, If you don't mind, I think it is.
Speaker 26: Oh what to say to the man who's seen and heard it all? Happy birthday today, happy fiftieth, this is this is huge?
Speaker 2: Um hm, leave it to black though.
Speaker 26: I'm so proud of you, you know, I'm proud of of the person you've become and of the person that you continue to inspire me to be. You're my brother, and I love you, you you. I mean, you know, I have a tremendous amount of appreciation, respect, admiration for you, and and and always have and yeah, man, just very much gratitude for what you've done, with what we've done together and all, as well as what you've done for me. You literally never cease to amaze me. Uh mean that being said, I don't I don't know. I don't have a funny story. I mean, I feel like they're all funny. It's weird, man, And I've been thinking about this for a week or so now, but I can't. I don't know what story. You know to sort of remanuo, but you remember, you remember all those ships and you know there's no I guess the greatest story is the story of us.
Speaker 3: That is uh, that is thirty three years.
Speaker 26: In the making and and still a work in progress and still going strong and uh you know, there is no shortage of hilarity and tragedy, valleys and peaks, ones and losses. Uh you know, and through it all, we we we've weathered it all together. You know, were the legendary and that means a lot to me. So here's the thirty three more happy fiftieth man, I love you.
Speaker 4: You, didoin did rejoin the Merchant Marine because like you just got off the boat with these.
Speaker 8: I feel like it needs to be our first visual episode, just so that Bill's commentary case, my commentary is a point.
Speaker 3: I don't know what.
Speaker 2: And that's only one glass.
Speaker 8: I don't well, well, you know, you know one of my favorite memories and I actually got this memory when we did the uh the Move episode, the Michael Africa episode, when I talked about the first time that we met Ramona Africa, because actually the night before one of the funnest nights of my life pre pre roots with Tarik was his prom night. Because Tarik was two years younger than me, so his prom night he graduated in nineteen ninety one, it was kind of like, actually, Tarika was on that alex vanderpool before Boys to Men, So he was going he went to his prom and like this really dope short set thing like it was a suit but it was shorts, and the school had kicked him out because they just didn't understand like the joint was.
Speaker 3: It was fresh.
Speaker 8: I mean, he just had shorts on and he he was Alexander pulled up, but he still had a suit on and they kicked him out. But the thing was was that his grandmam ordered the limo and we trust me, we laughed about this. The limo that she ordered was the heart that we unfortunately had to bury his mom and like maybe, oh my god.
Speaker 4: You know the story soon.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, we were dying. We were because like we're stuck. We're stuck in this limousine. Like he's like I got the limit for the night, so let's all hate.
Speaker 8: So we like me him and a few our crew, like we just got in that hearse and just cruised all down up and down Philadelphia, but just showing up everywhere in this funeral hearse.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was the most hilarious sight.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it was exactly like Black Ghostbusters, but I just die.
Speaker 8: I laughed at the fact that that was the limousine that she got a discount on that hearse, So yeah, that was That was one of my favorite nights ever, like pre pre dutel with.
Speaker 2: Them speaking of dying laughing. There's a young woman that you met in high school that you developed a rather viral website with called Okay play Oh okay.
Speaker 11: I thought it was gonna be thinking somebody else too, I think me and base.
Speaker 2: Oh no, you know what I should have called her, but I didn't even think about it. Was she say positive thing? Okay? So then yeah, So the person I'm talking about though, she's a famous comedy writer and whatnot, and she had some things to say about your beginnings you too, the two of you and.
Speaker 27: Your happy birthday on mayor my favorite a mere memories.
Speaker 2: Actually I have two. Do you remember back in.
Speaker 27: The day Erica had Erica Bad had just had her first hit and you had to pick her up from the airport. She was doing something with you in Philly and you don't drive, or you didn't drive until you were like forty nine and a half, and we had to pick her up in my Dodge Russ bucket, and so you were so uncomfortable you finally just came out.
Speaker 2: I was like, Erica, I'm so sorry we had to pick you up in this car. And I was like, motherfucker, I'm on your penroll. This is all.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 27: Do you remember when you took me under your wing as a person with pimples and told to drink more water. Again, I'm driving you somewhere, so I think you thought you had to like just make some small talk, and you just kept saying, and you know, if you drink more water? You ever tried drinking more water? And that's what real friends do. They tell real friends. You know, your face is fucked. Thank you, I drink water.
Speaker 7: I look at me now, it's like this is a filter.
Speaker 27: But anyway, I'm so happy that my mom made me telemarket when I was fifteen so that I could meet you and we could be friends.
Speaker 3: I love you, man. Drink more water, everybody, you know what's about.
Speaker 8: And the story that she could have told that was hilarious was that when I asked for a phone number at our at ORAE that insurance job, she didn't give me.
Speaker 3: The last two numbers, So my.
Speaker 8: Dumb ass had to yes, figurat to at home doing every comedy.
Speaker 2: One, two, two, two, three, four, five six six six.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, her last two digits was sixty five, So I think, like, I think, maybe ten. I would attempt ten times a day until I got it finally, like four days later, I.
Speaker 3: Got the the the way, Yes, that's.
Speaker 4: That's I finally guess the last two digits.
Speaker 8: But wait, no, there's another hilarious a movement that I don't think the Oka player world knows about, which was the night we went out to a celebratory meal when we launched the site in nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 28: And.
Speaker 8: Both of us, I think both of us got food poisoning. So if you if you remember the movie Stamp by Me, then we're in Angie's car right and I'm feeling ill and I feel like, okay, I think I might have to throw up.
Speaker 3: So we're at a red light.
Speaker 8: We're in Philadelphia, so we're at like we're on I think we're driving towards my house, so I think we're on Pine Street. We're maybe like on eleventh and Pine. And I can't take it no more, so I say look and just pull over. I open up the car door and I run right to the corner and I just start hurling. So I get back in the car. And then I think seeing me do that made her want to do that. So then she had a reaction. She stops the car, gets out and starts throwing up, and then me seeing her throwing up, makes me then get out the car and starting So we now have just a circle of circle duke, and so mid throw up. Now again, she's not even double park like the car doors that opens only two lane highway. And I'm telling an a run around the corner so I don't see you throwing up. She's like, so literally, we're trying to run as far away from each other so that we don't get sick off of watching each other throw up. That is me and and in ore are. I'm about to say, twenty five really are thirty year history together?
Speaker 2: Like that story, Remember in the beginning when I said, you're gonna let them tell the stories, and you ain't gotta take the longer version hers time. So it's two stories in a minute, mayor.
Speaker 3: She told a minute twelve.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'm not interrupting y'all. Y'all if you want to interrupt with a story anytime. Please feel free, fellas.
Speaker 11: Because now I want to hear from the people. This is our first time hearing these.
Speaker 2: We talked about Okay players, so I thought I would I have some love from an Okay player who actually thank God that he took a moment because he's been out in these streets, who given us what we need and like in the struggle, out in the struggle. Honey, Yes, sir, oh no.
Speaker 5: Happy birthday. First of all, I really appreciate you. I love you. You've been.
Speaker 29: You've done so much for me in my career. I don't really even know how to think that. It's been really amazing, and I can you know, I have a bunch of pretty funny stories and you know situations. I could talk about the diddy uh situation where you know, you helping me out and you writing to him on Twitter. Basically he got me the job and I spoken on the phone and changed the trajectory of my career. I can talk about you and that stinking making Fox hoodie.
Speaker 5: And the countless other.
Speaker 29: Battles that we've had on Instagram and social media in general.
Speaker 5: It's been fun, man, you know, like your big.
Speaker 29: Brother to me, and I love you and I wouldn't know where I would be without you. So with that being said, I think one of my favorite stories, you know, has.
Speaker 5: To do with We're at an event.
Speaker 29: It was some company's event and I'm there taking photos and men at work is going and you know, I'm out there doing my thing, taking photos, doing my thing like usual, and you point to me, you know, you have your stick and you're like and I'm like me And this is maybe like five years ago, so you know, we were good friends at this point. So I'm like, okay, cool, you want me to come take a photo from up here and get a goodvantage point. But you told me to join in with the fellas when they were dancing, And to me, that was one of the biggest moments of my life, you know, being a huge Roots fan man, and seeing and watching and documenting you know, that song so many times and wishing that I could be on stage. Man, that ship was fucking dope at wish there was video. I think we have a few photos of it out there, but man, that just let me know that how much you cared about me and how much you you know, you you knew that that moment meant to me like like fuck it, get up here, and you know, do the damn thing with me.
Speaker 5: I know, you know the moves and I.
Speaker 29: Did so yeah, man, like I'm happy that you're still here. I hope that you live to be you know, a thousand years old.
Speaker 5: You know, and in.
Speaker 29: The world is possiblely, you know, anything in the world is possible, except for probably your directing career.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Wait, yeah, unless you're a cartoon and all of your.
Speaker 29: Success, all your millions of jobs, and thank you for you know, your support and you know, yeah, when I work hard, you know, I always I love getting that.
Speaker 5: Sample of approval from you.
Speaker 29: You know, it means a lot, you know, amongst all of our battles. But yeah, it's on and popping tonight. They've being about to go on your Instagram right now and see what you wrote so I can get at you.
Speaker 3: Demetrious cold. No, I don't know, I don't.
Speaker 8: Look, I don't I don't want people to misconstrue because you know, my favorite thing is watching people like threatened Mail thinking that he's.
Speaker 3: A real troll.
Speaker 8: No, we're actually good friends.
Speaker 2: He controls you.
Speaker 3: I'll be I'll be watching.
Speaker 8: Based on Yes, Megan Fox once complimented a hoodie I had on once and he got mad at it, and that was the basis of of.
Speaker 3: Our our our battle back in thirty one. That's my brother, man.
Speaker 2: Yo, And not for nothing. I mean it should be mentioned a mirror that there are a lot of people that you've known for over twenty years that started in one place in their life and have evolved into great places. And some of them have even involved in the Roots organization, which I think is is really dope.
Speaker 3: Wait was it mailing in Neil Salona? No, I don't think it was.
Speaker 4: It wasn't all it was stre it was it was straight. I think he was sewing. He was at a sewing shop that mal de Coal moonlighting as a can't wait. Yeah, I'm definitely going cli that. You we gotta put that.
Speaker 3: On, put that on. You got you got a nail shop, you gotta.
Speaker 4: Shop smelt something Asian Cole Totally why.
Speaker 2: Y'all got joke? Shout out, shout out mail for what he's been doing for the last week though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man.
Speaker 8: Sly, but yes, he's been on the front lines of capturing capturing of Vanilla.
Speaker 10: Isis I feel like my melody Cole is the one that's coming up next.
Speaker 3: My faith troll.
Speaker 2: Oh, actually, I that is a good suggestion.
Speaker 10: Well, while we're on the subject of a mirror, you know, helping people's careers. I heard this story the other day. I was at Electric Garden, which is owned and operated by Ben Kine, who was an assistant engineered Electric Lady towards the end of my.
Speaker 3: Tenure there. Rain.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he was coming in and he ended up becoming Russ Elevado's assistant after me for a fifteen twenty years or whatever it's been. He ended up co mixing Black Messiah and all that. And so I was doing a session there a few weekends ago with Ben and we're talking about the old times.
Speaker 3: And he.
Speaker 10: Tells me the story that it was you who who got him started as well. And you may not even remember this, but he Jack in the box. You on the street in the village somewhere you were at, probably working in Electric Lady, and you were walking around the village and he was going to NYU and he was nineteen or something like that and just walked up to you on the street, recognized you and and said can you help me, you know, get started or you know, I'm a musician blah blah something like that, and you literally got him the internship at Electrically, which started him off on what.
Speaker 3: Ye be sound. I didn't even know that. Yeah you got that.
Speaker 8: I'm like, you know because you started podcast, Like I don't collect receipts like that, Like, okay, I did this for you United that Wow.
Speaker 3: Also, that's good to know because accomplished Wow, multi Grammy Award winning ben came. Wow, that's amazing. I didn't even know that.
Speaker 18: Well.
Speaker 2: She hasn't wont to Grammy yet, but she has been the support of the roots for the past years. Her name is Tina Feris.
Speaker 30: Quest Love Custonian Smery. I can't believe you're fifty years old, dude. Can I remember you guys coming to UCLA and me being scared to talk to you, thinking that you were mean But you are ultimately, But.
Speaker 3: Like, what is the best story?
Speaker 30: I love being on tour with you as my solace when I was fucking up with everybody else and I could run to you and you'd be like, See, that's how the niggas is. Once you let them know you know how to do something, they gonna keep asking you and true to form, I have been doing things ever since, but I really appreciate your support and your belief and you're seeing made larger than I see myself, and I just want to keep rocking with you for the next fifty years. So I love love, love, love, love love love love love you from the top of my heart until the wheels fall off. Happy Birthday, Tina far.
Speaker 3: With divorce. I thought that little house Bone challenge for.
Speaker 2: First sent the audio. I was like, Ni, I'm dreaming about you for nights, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, background, yeah, some music behind that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But I mean, like I said, there's a long list of folks, you know, miyor who have come.
Speaker 3: Up, and like Farris, I appreciate that because people.
Speaker 2: Don't know that Tina was actually like it's a mere Tina was like a fan right like back of the day in school at.
Speaker 8: Uc Tina at when she was at U C l A, and we got cool with her and we realized that she's more organized than people that are, you know, training to be tour managers. And you know, she look at her now, she's tour managed. Every everybody, everyone a name it, Lauren Hill, Chris Rock and.
Speaker 2: Everyone just literally everyone yeah, speaking of people who have definitely come up in the world. I don't know if this dude, I mean, would he be the president of Live Nation Urban if not for meeting a man named me.
Speaker 3: A k A quests love A k A.
Speaker 2: In the Valley A k A.
Speaker 28: The beat recycle of the rhythm Happy Birthday Dog, Happy fiftieth Birthday, O G. You know, there's so many stories that that that I could share, that I could tell, but you know what, I want to be fired, So I would just say that I admire your selflessness, not selfishness, selflessness. You're probably the most selfless individual that I know, quite honestly. You have such a big heart. You have blessed so many people in these fifty years. You've literally changed the trajectory of people's lives, their families for generations to come.
Speaker 3: I being one of them, right, So I want to thank you for that.
Speaker 28: You will forever be blessed for all of the blessings that you've bestowed upon upon so many people. I hope you enjoy your day. I hope you enjoy your fiftieth year. And you know, let me know how that feels, because you know I won't be there for a while.
Speaker 2: Do he mean like months, he made a while when he said a whole.
Speaker 3: But short is definitely my dad.
Speaker 8: Like, I take pride in the fact that I don't say what had happened was to a lot of people, but most of my phone calls with Shoring's like all right, all right, this is what happened.
Speaker 3: So you know he's always waiting for the hustle, but crisis management exactly. I appreciate Sean my many.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think I have another life that you change and fortunately for us, this is Steve's nemesis. Ladies, here we go the woman who makes a couple of appearances on Questlove Supreme.
Speaker 31: God got there to speech camera and when I'm filming myself, I would only do this for you a mair uh happy birthday.
Speaker 32: I know a million in one stories that would embarrass the hell out of you, but I will keep them to myself because it's your birthday. I will just say you are the type of person that would send a thousand gallons of suit to someone's house if they're sick, or car service if they're stranded, or make someone laugh until their stomach hurts, especially if they're having a bad day and you're the best, most special, generous person that anyone could hope to have in their life. And as far as family that you get to choose, I would choose you every time. I love you. Happy birthday. Oh and he's heard me, he is so.
Speaker 2: Nemesis.
Speaker 3: Y'all got to stop this jew own jew crime man. Good example to your race.
Speaker 8: That's right, people, I was about to say I the one thing I missed the most about working at thirty year Rock now is that there's no more Steve's arr arguments, Like it's like the best part about going there. Yeah, man, wow, but wow, that's amazing. Sarah's pride on her first day at work. There's no crime in baseball. But she cried on the first day at work.
Speaker 3: And yeah, don't she cry like every day? Man. She runs the world with a boy and he's the reason why I'm in all these movies.
Speaker 2: And again a mirror remind people that Zarah came into your life as as an assistant right like, she was she.
Speaker 3: A page, She was an intern at Fallon, an intern at Fallon.
Speaker 2: Right now she is the manager of the division.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the film division.
Speaker 8: So all the movies I'm directed and anything I've done on screen to do with the television.
Speaker 3: Zarah is that person that takes the meeting.
Speaker 2: So wow, let me one more person that life has changed. You have changed life and they are a part of your team. And they'd be piss if I didn't play the video because when you met her, I believe was she a bartender and a receptionist and now she lives out here with with me. Hold on, who here we go?
Speaker 12: Hey, Amir, happy birthday.
Speaker 33: So one of my favorite Emir stories is of course grounded in our decades long battle against one another in scrabble, you being maybe the only person I know who's more competitive than me, and two thousand and six you take me to a Grammy party at Prince's house. Now keep in mind I had been bartending in Philly just six months before you gave me this amazing career opportunity. So we're in Prince's living.
Speaker 7: Room playing scrabble and boom, I.
Speaker 34: Put up sex triple word score plus the adjoining word. I got like a Jillian points and you're like, no, you can't play that word here. Our host is religious. This is inappropriate, although I still to this day contend you just didn't want to lose in front of all of Ali's Hollywood maor untruthfully, thank you so much for believing in me. Thank you so much for all of the opportunities. I'm so grateful and honored to be part of this journey with you. You can't be and me and so many others, and we all love you so much.
Speaker 7: This is why you're our.
Speaker 33: Son's godfather and why I'm so grateful to really really love you.
Speaker 12: Happy happy birthday, a mair.
Speaker 2: Damn she got kids now if y'all can't tell.
Speaker 8: Dogs now, Yeah, man, I know I to tell the story about scrabble, but she I did not fire her over a scrabble game, So don she does your DJing during Yes, she's been my DJ manager since nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: She also used to be my roll dog when we would be rolling with you at certain places. You don't remember. This is when we were friends a long time ago. Okay, So moving on here you go.
Speaker 3: Always got to put something to the fourth hour of the Today's show.
Speaker 2: Lazy no, no, no, But okay, So now we're done with the the you know, the heavy lifting of who you've evolved into beautiful people. Oh, I'm sure folks want to hear from certain folks who have you been affiliate affiliated with and are your brother amir?
Speaker 10: How do you feel about your birthday happening on the inauguration day of a new person.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's bittersweet because.
Speaker 8: Four years ago everyone was depressed when he was coming into office until everyone was angry that day, and then four years and eight years before that, when Obama first went in, nobody remembered except for Layah because Laya and I share the same birthday. This is actually Laia's birthday as well.
Speaker 3: So yes, nobody sent in any videos about that.
Speaker 4: That's the next hour.
Speaker 3: That's the Layah video.
Speaker 8: Why y yeah, let me why while you're searching for my next uh ambush my loves you?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you see how you have? You see how you can do the little sexual you know florist?
Speaker 8: Now, well, I meant love and this being a love fesson, I was trying to make a I forget when you combine words together.
Speaker 3: What it is anyway? Yes? La Yah?
Speaker 8: I really yeah, thank you yah, because it's it's it's also Laa's birthday as well, and you know I love I've known my Yea since Mmm. No, okay, can we rewrite the narrative of this story.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, and I'm sorry for the sound and face, because you know what, it's very innocent story. I just know that it's sounds can be perceived to sound other ways, and it shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I wasn't always an old person like you weren't, right.
Speaker 2: Wee three ninety three, ninety two, ninety three.
Speaker 3: And they ate off the assassin.
Speaker 2: First of all, how dare you put the out there? I was not dating him?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, a mirror such a you know, y'all.
Speaker 2: Who caught us once? You caught us walking. You caught us walking down the street. You gave us a ride.
Speaker 3: That does not mean right, that's how we first met.
Speaker 13: You ate off the assassins, Joe, No, that's oh my god, don't write you street.
Speaker 3: We met fine, wonderful. Every time that you.
Speaker 2: Make it seem like we met in line talking it wanting to talk to Steve. We wonder we met in the line. But yeah, Stevie, wonder I know.
Speaker 3: I know, Okay, so yes, lying I go, I can I believe you remember that.
Speaker 2: I remember it happened once it was dark and I was y'all know, I was walking down the street with Adolf, and I say, no way, nobody's gonna see me. And the motherfucking roots pulled up in a vand and I said, ain't this something? It's like, y'all need a ride?
Speaker 3: Can I can?
Speaker 4: I ask why his name was.
Speaker 3: Catch?
Speaker 2: That's that was his birth name? Right? When is that his birth name?
Speaker 3: I think?
Speaker 18: So?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got a girl? That's he had one song called Gatto.
Speaker 3: Plus. Where's a plus? Right now?
Speaker 2: Wait? Let me let me let this doe tell you happy birthday, because I know everybody expected for him to say something anyway.
Speaker 3: So who Happy birthday? Mayor after the fiftieth birthday?
Speaker 29: Man?
Speaker 21: You know I love you, brother. You want of my greatest friends. Man, one of my closest friends that I met through this whole thing. And I've just been blessed to be able to have you as my boy, as my homie, is my guy and uh, man, I just thank you.
Speaker 22: Man.
Speaker 21: You've done so much for me, from executive producer just to being there as a friend. I remember I needed uh when I was trying to throw a great shin dig for for a girlfriend's thirtieth birthday party. You brought everybody together and just made it happen and man, you would be up nights tired. I remember you fell asleep playing the drums, but you were still playing while you Man, you bring so much to me, to all of us.
Speaker 3: Man, fiftieth birthday, brother, we celebrating you, all right.
Speaker 6: I love that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was like, no, what were you there a nint Steve in Texas? Where at Eric thirtieth? No, No, it was ever.
Speaker 2: By the way he said, you know my old girlfriend.
Speaker 3: How do you know how many old girlfriends?
Speaker 21: I nigga?
Speaker 3: Uh no, but yeah, the best part of that night was I mean Blao was in rare form. Oh God, and the King.
Speaker 8: Yes yes, and and and the and the very app very app reference that you brought up, uh fante, Because the only person who I have my eyes on the whole time Blao was performing, was watching Prince.
Speaker 3: And we did like a seventeen minute version of uh Soul System and sometimes.
Speaker 2: Oh I wish I was there.
Speaker 8: And it was to the point where Prince actually left VIP and walked to the front of the pit of of like where where like the commoners were, and is the way that his jaw was dropped. I knew that he finally saw like the the time past like someone crazier than him beforeming at that intensive a level. It was one of the greatest times of my life watching watching history pass between the generation A mere story.
Speaker 2: No, that's fine, all right, Uh, this is a I got a random one here. It always felt random, but you know, it's funny because Amir had always talked about his link to this couple on this show, and I feel like most of us was like, Okay, all right, whatever, and I'm talking about the Ali's Maherschela and his wife pronounce her name for me.
Speaker 3: I'm she's from Philly. How did you get this? Hey?
Speaker 7: Birthday, We're here at.
Speaker 3: Congratulations.
Speaker 25: It's been many different chapters. Happy to still be here and celebrate you. Yes, I have three small antidotes, and one includes this person here.
Speaker 3: You gotta go, you got thirty seconds left.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 7: Nineteen ninety nine, coming home from college.
Speaker 35: I think it was December twenty fourth, nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 25: I think Jackie Thompson, Happy birthday to you too, and us all going to movie to the movies for Christmas.
Speaker 35: Which was mind blowing because I'm sitting there next to Questlove at the movies and I was just like, oh my God, who does this girl know?
Speaker 3: Who does she not know?
Speaker 7: I met you when I was fourteen?
Speaker 2: See wrong with it?
Speaker 7: I tell you as one of my bigger brothers.
Speaker 25: To this day got one of the best birthday gifts I've ever gotten, which was these mixtapes of soul music.
Speaker 3: That package that whole cassette or set of cassettes.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, and and have been blessed to share different pockets of time over time with you.
Speaker 3: You're talking too long.
Speaker 35: We just contribution after contribution and most importantly the positive energy, the love, the knowledge, the wonderful nerdiness that you bring to everything that we all love and absolutely respect and just admire.
Speaker 3: So thank you, brother, We love you.
Speaker 8: Finish, we gotta get my her sol On the show w Do Well what they did. What they didn't share was that they helped me. But like you know, when someone makes it at a certain level, you're like, your dream is to do something nice for your mom, like either get her that house or get her that that item, so you know.
Speaker 3: My first my mom.
Speaker 8: What my mom didn't also share when she was sharing her story was that, uh, my dad promised my mom her dream car, which is the history of weird cars in the Thompson family. It's nothing new, doesn't start with my scion. My mom always wanted a Volkswagen Beetle.
Speaker 3: The right.
Speaker 8: So when they remade those cars and brought them out, I got my mom one. But I had this idea that I said, what I want to do is I want to make my mom think that her old car, her broken down car, was stolen. And then Blama is surprised with the new car. So basically, Myhershela, I somehow got the keys from my from my mom, gave it to Myharsala and he's the one that took my mom's car, parked it like way around the corner. So we went to the movies and then get out the movies and then you know, the car's missing, and my Mom's like all devastated. And then six minutes later before like we bring the cops and said, no, I gotta tell the cops.
Speaker 3: Oh no, Mom, no, no no.
Speaker 8: And then suddenly the shiny new bug is right there, and I'm like Mary Christmas man this this year, this is like the first gift I've ever given her.
Speaker 2: So because again Mherschel, they told their story in a minute and twenty and it was two of them.
Speaker 3: That was just does not act.
Speaker 2: Okay. So before we get out of it, before we before we finished with all the guests, I got to just two more left, two more left that I want to run past you. And the next one, Emir, I want you to listen closely to his story. I actually sent this to Fontaine ahead of time because it actually answers a lot of questions about the way you acted when we went and visited this person and interviewed them for QLs. Bill and Steve. Y'all will get it once I hit play. Did y'all too remember how Amir was acting when we went to LA to interview this person.
Speaker 36: Hey, baby face, here, I want to give you a special shout out for your fiftieth birthday. And I know we're supposed to tell a special story. So here's the story I want to tell. Years ago, when I met you, we met through a mutual friend of ours, Chloe Flower.
Speaker 12: She was here working at the studio.
Speaker 36: And she told me that you were coming by and she told me that you were the biggest fan of mine.
Speaker 3: You were a huge fan. You knew everything, You knew everything about me, and you would love me.
Speaker 36: And you see, he loves you, and so I said, well that's great because I'm a big fan of his too, So you know, I want to meet him, tell him come in the studio. She said, nah, he's just gonna stop at the corner and pick me up. So I walked down to the corner to the gas station to meet you, and so Chloy gets in the car and I looked at it and say, oh my god, I look look at that's quest Love.
Speaker 3: That's quest Love.
Speaker 7: And you look at me and you go like, what's up whatever.
Speaker 36: I'm like, that can't be the mirror that's big and supposed to know all my stuff, and he didn't. The Quest Love and a Mirror must be two different people. I thought, Quest Love and a Mirror with two different people. I had no idea you were the same person. And that was I didn't really know until we did the podcast together. Dan realized you actually do kind of know the stuff I've done. And I was a fan of yours and you were a fan of mine. So it all walked out ultimately. So I want to wish your happy birthday to a mirror and quest Love. Happy fifty.
Speaker 3: Shady face. He moving like a lefty guitar center. Holy shit, right right?
Speaker 2: Why back to when we was at LA and me and Fante was all excited singing up, singing to shoot him up, bang bang song.
Speaker 3: He was like, he was like, no, guys, no chill, She'd be professional, right right.
Speaker 2: I was like, so, what's what you and baby Face? You just want you want to think you cool or what's.
Speaker 8: You know what it is?
Speaker 3: I nerded out on someone and it kind of went south, and you know, you're over compensated when you met babyface. Look, okay, I don't say that.
Speaker 8: Maybe I kind of freak Q tipped out back in like ninety three when we was first making do you want more?
Speaker 3: And then it kind of got and then it kind of got back to me like yeah, you weared it mount man, Like you know that was like you got you got money.
Speaker 11: Now, don't nobody You can nerd out, whether you won't wait, nobody gonna tell you to stop or nothing.
Speaker 8: I think I think after that moment, I just I turned it down by a bajillion whenever I realized that you you won't get kicked out the club if you just act cool.
Speaker 2: So like nerdous is ninety three, that's a lot of shit that you got held inside. I know it was a mo people that you met, did you was like, yo, there's some people that.
Speaker 3: Still think like you know, sometimes you got to keep him at bay, like you know, okay.
Speaker 2: Okay, teach me, sir. I'm learned. Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know, but it's you know, it's it's the rule. It's the rule of like wow, that's crazy.
Speaker 8: I was too nervous to fan out on him, so I was just like trying to be cool, like, well, hey, how you doing pleasure?
Speaker 2: I feel like, last, but not least, is uh a person who you have become very close with, who has been so gracious as to host us for records amount of time with his partner, records, amount of years.
Speaker 22: Oh god, yes, indeed, old alert, old alert, Yes, Now you're half and half half what fifty?
Speaker 3: Oh I see half and half of one hundred?
Speaker 8: Oh I got you lose fifty to fifty fifty fifty and what you're gonna do fifty fifth?
Speaker 3: He's gonna make love. That's what his name is. Oh yeah, that's true name, got love in it, quest love. That's right.
Speaker 37: You told me his name was gonna be at one point in time no quest ski. I'm gonna keep mentioned quest skill.
Speaker 3: I can't. He had another one too that I can't quite recall, but that's okay. It's better to be on a quest for love.
Speaker 5: That's ki.
Speaker 37: Yes, exactly, absolutely, damn hey man, want I wish you were happy, lovely beautiful fiftieth and if y'all need you need any advice on fifty we'll see what we can remember because that was ten years.
Speaker 3: Take the picture, got the scars to prove it exactly. We love you man, love you brother. Happy birthday.
Speaker 21: Oh man.
Speaker 3: They need to be they need to be true to take the season four. That's it. Jimmy and Terry Spy versus Spy. They're amazing.
Speaker 8: God, guys, thank you you successfully got me to really drop my guard.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Sorry from thank you. I bringing all the flowers like the floors. Yeah, more flowers.
Speaker 2: And a me just tell you don't think I got bears?
Speaker 21: What the he.
Speaker 3: Wear it out?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 3: What do you know about this song?
Speaker 2: Like you the only place seconds fair use?
Speaker 3: Oh wow?
Speaker 2: I mean you would like it?
Speaker 3: So yes, I'll make this short because that's the end, because.
Speaker 2: We didn't tell our stories. But that's fine.
Speaker 3: Oh I thought that was the end.
Speaker 2: I mean that was the end of their stories. Were still here.
Speaker 3: Okay, thank you?
Speaker 11: All right, so it is everybody telling me going to go stories and story time for us. Yeah, you started off like you go.
Speaker 3: Ahead, Well, almost killed Steve, so we can start there.
Speaker 2: Yes, go ahead, Steve, oh house of Preyer p.
Speaker 3: That's just the that's just one time he tried to fill.
Speaker 10: I'm actually about to tell a story about another time where he almost did kill me.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 10: The if anyone familiar with the the restaurant in the venue BB King's here in Manhattan.
Speaker 3: Which is yeah, so now you know the sticking out. It's been twenty five years.
Speaker 10: I've spent a lot of time hanging out with this guy in one place or another.
Speaker 3: And when I'm with him, I.
Speaker 10: Like to play half security guard, half like, you know, Okay, here's what I'm going to do if there's an emergency whatever in the back of my mind, and that includes winding staircases, you know, like I'll just on the side of my eye and keep an eye on this dude.
Speaker 3: If you slip, maybe I can catch him, get a raise, you know, something like that.
Speaker 10: But I never actually wanted him to fall directly on top of me, And that's what happened. Dude took a fall down down the bb King winding staircase on the way downstairs to the venue and just landed right on top of me.
Speaker 3: And took Steve with him, took down. He broke my fall. Yeah, and what were we there for? Jody Watley concert. I don't remember much after you after you landed prussed Steve like the tin man in the whiz.
Speaker 4: Ship.
Speaker 2: I mean, can't you see it? I mean, what what year was this year?
Speaker 4: It was that year?
Speaker 18: Right?
Speaker 2: Okay, you know it was that year? Yeah, gott I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, I've got plenty of stories, but I'm saving them off my book and Sugar Network Publishing. Yes, Zara, I think she knows things about you. Please, yes, Steven Zara, all the bodies, I'll go, Steve.
Speaker 4: Amir, you and I met working on the Hamilton Record, and then you invited me to be on this podcast, to in fact be the first person on this podcast, and that was one of the most bizarre nights of my entire life. But what my story is about is is we've seen each other every like for a while, like every week for many years. So then whenever I would see you not at a quest love taping. You would not recognize me and reintroduce yourself to me. And this happens all the time. So like I would be at a wedding that you would be DJing and I'd be like a meyr and you'd be like hey man, and they put out your arm and I'd be like, it's me. And then and the second time he'd be like blah blah blah blah. I was like, dude, it's me. He's like, you look like my accountant, and I was like fair.
Speaker 3: I was to change every time.
Speaker 8: Bill, you you had five major hairstyles and the beard hair com You're like a story character.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, what are you talking about?
Speaker 7: You?
Speaker 4: Sometimes you are in your Marvin Gay hat, sometimes you're in your fro thing, sometimes.
Speaker 3: You're in your twenty twenty.
Speaker 8: But yes, mate, if you had, if you had a consistent hairstyle for a year, I promise you I would have known that was my partner, Bill Hamlet.
Speaker 3: Whatever I mean.
Speaker 8: It was awesome, glad because I thought you were going to get at me for stealing a lot of big birds feathers.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh well that too.
Speaker 4: We go into that later. I know where the muppets are buried. All right, quiette, Happy birthday. Fonte's your turn, thank you?
Speaker 3: Oh man, it's my turn.
Speaker 11: Okay, man, I guess for me, you know, our history goes back to that sordid corner of the Internet known as Okay player. But uh, you know, with my group little Brother, and just the way you championed us, and you know, man, I just think, you know, for me, you know, I think we was texting the other night, just on some silly shit. I don't even know what he was talking about, but it was just one of these epic amere texts, and and I just remember just thinking, like, Yo, the kid who you know, snuck out of school to go by ill a death half life, you know, you know, and you know, and with left campus illegally, you know what I'm saying, to go get this shit like he would be freaking the fuck out right now to ever think that there was a possibility that me and the Mirror would actually have conversations and actually be friends, you know. And uh, and that's something that you know, regardless of the fact that however long I've been doing this podcast and like we've known each other, that's something that I never take for granted.
Speaker 3: And that's something that I tell people.
Speaker 11: You know, when I first started doing this, I had to let motherfuckers know up front, Like, listen, I'm not the quest love whisperer. Okay, you know what I'm saying, Like, I'm not the quest love plug. Like you know, me and him, you know, we have a men and mirror, you know, have a good relationship. And the reason why we're able to keep that good relationship is because I don't come to him with bullshit, you know what I'm saying. And I respect your time, and I respect where you are, and you know, I just don't be calling you for no frivolous shit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And that means a lot to me.
Speaker 11: And you know, man, I just look at just hearing all the stories of all the people that came on, and you know, it really just makes me think of just how how thin like sometimes just the line between success and obscurity is another person believing in you, and you know, just you know it really you know, somebody like Don that was just you know, she was a bartender, and somebody like Tina that was just doing you know, doing whatever, and now she's coming like this huge person. Yeah, you know what I mean, Angie, you know what I'm saying, like everybody, and you know, I think just as we get older in life, you know you Fitty. I mean, I just turned forty two, but you know, you've definitely been a model for me and the way I kind of look at my life and career going and defining a legacy. I don't think a legacy is defined by what you do. I think a legacy is defined by the people that you help. You know what I mean, because they become your legacy is when other people go on to do great things and you can say, well, yo, well you know this was the dude that put me on. You know what I'm saying, Emir gave me this shot, and you know what I'm saying, I remember my first gig, you know, like those things are important man, and so and it's not a lot of people in the game who would really do that selflessly, as as Shange said, that just can give it and not expect nothing in return.
Speaker 3: But just yo, I believe in you.
Speaker 11: I think you dope, So I'm gonna put you on, you know what I mean, And you know, and that means a lot, man, I never take that for granted, and so I just thank you just for everything. You know what I'm saying, just for bringing me into your universe as crazy and fucking disorganized as it.
Speaker 3: Can be sometimes. But you know I wouldn't it. I wouldn't. I wouldn't.
Speaker 11: I wouldn't schae for nothing else, brother, And I just thankful for your face and your loyalty, man, And you know I love you and just wish you fifty more broke for real.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all I appreciate it. Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, let me say something real quick. So let me say this. Although I've met a mir when I was I was a teenager, it's been a long interesting ride. Like from the moment we met, we clipped and we just clicked. We had things in common, we laughed, we had fun together. And even when I went to college, as you were going on your evolution and the band was growing, you never never forgot you come to Atlanta when I was in school in Atlanta. Can I come to the show. Yes, I see a mirror when I graduated college and I moved to Atlanta, I mean when I moved to Philly again, more mirror growing our relationship and whatnot and you know, it's been a lot of movie trips. It's been a lot of South Street diners, a lot of you falling to sleep on me and the movies learn about that. There's been a lot of arguments and fights. And it's funny because the Philadelphia I was long too. For the longest I was known as the Roots Warrior. Don't say nothing bad about the Roots on the radio. Light is gonna come at you, even if your name is jay Z, which I did, because those my boys, and I know who the fuck they are? They fucking dope. Why why you ain't doing nothing extra? You just like MCA. I'm sorry, flashback, I'm sorry. So but throughout this ride, you know, it's just been. It's been. It's been beautiful and even you've just shown me so many things, from going to Prince's house to sitting at a table with jay Z, Beyonce, Mary J. Blige and all these people and wondering what I'm doing here. Oh, I'm chaperoning a mirror his date. Oh whatever day gets to be here. But from all those to those moments whenever I would call you and say can you come on the radio real quick talk about this? Can you come on the radio real quick and talk about that like you always did well. Nine times out of ten. You always did so for those reasons because we were born on the same birthday and we know at our very essence we are too alike, and that'd be our problem because I will stay being the Lucy to your Charlie. A mere Cayleb Thompson, I love your ass even though I don't like you all the time, yea, y'all, and before I know, because don't think I ain't smart, okay, because we all know this now. One last thing.
Speaker 3: Flower is the last flower.
Speaker 2: The last flower A long year and maybe I think it's been a year and a half, but I think all of us on this show have noticed a very speedy evolution of Amir cab Thompson. And we also know that one of the major reasons and the person keeping him on that dig Gregory mentally, spiritually and everything else. Something to say, A k T my.
Speaker 12: Love, You're the best.
Speaker 1: I don't even know what else to say beside it's you.
Speaker 38: Just you love so hard, You celebrate people, you support them, You do such amazing things for people, and being my glasses stylistic is one. I mean, I could just spend hours and hours waxing poetic about the beauty of your heart and what incredibly inspiring person you are and the.
Speaker 12: Gift of you in my life.
Speaker 38: But what I would love for the next fifty years, besides just playing like two little wild kids together, which I'm so looking forward to, is also you being loved and supported and celebrated and honored and the way you've done for so many people for so long.
Speaker 2: Yes, everybody, Wow, give it up for Grace and I just I want to say, this whole effort was an effort, collaborative effort between Grace a lot of dope women in your life. People don't know that a lot of Amir's village are dope women. There's Tina, there's don There's Zara, there's Repacca, there's two Rebecca's, there's a Brittany there, I mean, and these are all in a diverse group women. Yes, So thank you to those women for making this happen. And this is just the beginning of your birthday celebration.
Speaker 3: Thank you, I trust me. I'm crying on the inside of it. I've moved to tears.
Speaker 18: You know.
Speaker 10: I want to say one more thing, because you all went back and like, oh, told their whole history with a mirror.
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna. I can't.
Speaker 10: It's too long for me to tell you all the different stops that we've had. The dude hired me for like four different jobs in all these years and got me the the Elvis Costello album, the absolute biggest dream come true and all that stuff, like a million things. And you're a great person and this, that and the other thing. But I think that of all the people, I might be somebody who's been able to witness firsthand and hear and watch you drum the most hours. And I just want to say, of you can help, can help every when you want to help. But you know, getting getting that opportunity to watch you do the thing that you're absolutely the best on the planet at, you know, has been really the most special thing to watch you do your magic, you know, for so long. So you know, you're a great DJ, and like I said, obviously a great person in a humanitarian for God's sake.
Speaker 3: But keep on drumming, you know what I'm saying, Guys, I'm really touched to my core. It's this.
Speaker 8: This is the probably the most beautiful birthday. This is probably the most beautiful thing that's ever happened in my adult life. I never have I never had a a in a live funeral or whatever.
Speaker 3: That's why don't I just called it a live funeral awake. Yeah, but yeah, here's the bad news. We didn't tell you yet.
Speaker 8: You know, to no man, I'm really you know, you guys are literally you know when when when talking to Sean about how to do this show, I mean, I really wanted the people that I look to the most for their opinions and their thought process and just them as humans, like I actually love you, guys, and I never get the sentimental I don't know why I'm so resistant to this. Not resistant, but I don't do this more often. Yes, Grace is slowly melting the art exterior.
Speaker 3: Out of me. But thank you so much for organizing this. Uh you know, I appreciate this.
Speaker 8: I think maybe from being around Rich so much, I've somehow decided, okay, I'll do that, like just not uh not celebrate too much, because I've always come from a place like if you celebrate, then it'll be over, and I never wanted to be over.
Speaker 3: But ah, god, well your forties are over, that's for sure. Thank you guys, can at least wind up my own a live funeral? Oh sure, why not?
Speaker 6: There?
Speaker 2: No, there's not more. But I have, I have, I have music. Go ahead, what you got said?
Speaker 3: Oh Jesus Christ? Wow, Wow, lady and gentlemen.
Speaker 8: The next time we do this, I'll be seventy five years old. So I love you, la Ya, I love you Bill, I love you, Steve, I love you. I love you to everyone that you know, that that said those beautiful words, and even those that weren't able to do. So, all my friends, all my family out there, I appreciate it. I love you all, and we will see you on the next go round of Quest Love Supreme.
Speaker 3: Her Happy birthday. Thank you, Hey, this is sugar Steve.
Speaker 10: Make sure you keep up with us on Instagram at QLs and let us know what you're thinking.
Speaker 5: Who should be next to sit down with us?
Speaker 10: Don't forget to subscribe to our podcast.
Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.