Speaker 1: Are you leaving? I you wanta way back home? Either way, we want to be there.
Speaker 2: Doesn't matter how much baggage you claim and give us time and a terminol and gay. We want to send you off InStyle.
Speaker 1: We wanna welcome you back home.
Speaker 2: Tell us all about it.
Speaker 3: We scared her? Was it fine?
Speaker 1: Malcorn?
Speaker 2: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 3: Do you need to ride?
Speaker 1: Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride? Do you need to ride with Karen and Chris welcome to Do you need a ride?
Speaker 2: This is Chris Fairbanks and this is Karen Tilgara.
Speaker 4: We're fresh back from the.
Speaker 1: Holidays, a long holiday.
Speaker 4: You may not not be listening to this fresh at the holidays, but we are recording it. I think we've been out in the open about how sometimes some months pass even before an episode airs. Is it bad to hold a mirror up behind the curtain?
Speaker 2: I feel like we are always getting behind a curtain and then showing our ass with a mirror.
Speaker 3: I think that's our style, right, It's.
Speaker 4: Just how we shower. How else are you going to reach the nooks and the crans.
Speaker 3: If you don't get that handheld mirror.
Speaker 4: You gotta get a fog list or regular mirror with rainex it.
Speaker 2: Have you ever used a shower radio or waterproof like musical device for the for the shower.
Speaker 4: I haven't, but you would think I had, since I sought out for swimming waterproof your buds.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 3: Two those don't work.
Speaker 1: No, they do not.
Speaker 2: That's like a scam. Don't ever listener if you're trying to just some sort of lapse. Listen up, listener, Listen up, listener. Here's the first piece of advice for twenty twenty four. Do not fall for that.
Speaker 4: I fell through a lot of traps. One was getting a waterproofed iPod. Oh so it's a while back.
Speaker 3: Okay, that didn't work.
Speaker 4: No, it does not address the issue, which is the buds. And then once you get waterproof your buds, water's going to sneak in.
Speaker 3: Yes, there it is.
Speaker 4: You would have to swim so gingerly without moving your head, and you know I don't. I have a central snow that keeps it down straight. And even then even without tossing your head to the side, they come, they're gonna leak.
Speaker 3: So and they're not.
Speaker 2: They're water like resistant, but not proof.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: A lot of them I found yeah, they don't work.
Speaker 2: I was doing my laps in the pool, which I was really enjoying because I would listen. I would listen to podcasts for work. I would listen to podcasts for my own personal enjoyment. But I when it started out, was just trying to keep my head above water and just like do it that way. Oh shit, is this gonna put me on the one ten?
Speaker 4: I kind of like what they're doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah you do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is where the one ten gets less intimidating.
Speaker 2: Okay, because the one ten can kill a person. Listener, listen up to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's the oldest road for a reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they were you did you walk on it when they closed it down?
Speaker 4: No, but I did see that there was some some some activity on foot a foot.
Speaker 2: I liked that they did that. They just closed it down for a day and everyone could walk on the one tent.
Speaker 4: Which you don't think you want to do until you're doing it.
Speaker 3: Until you see other people do it, and you're jealous of.
Speaker 4: The exhilaration of being in the streets without it being a protest.
Speaker 1: Or a riot.
Speaker 4: Yes, is so fun, Like come on, because we're all breaking the rules together.
Speaker 3: Yes, and the city said we could.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like being able to go into a bank and say give us all the money.
Speaker 1: Who are you?
Speaker 2: Okay, now we are getting on the one tent.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Oh God bless us everyone, Please Lord stay with us on this journey.
Speaker 4: But yes, when I swim, not to go back to the I just unlike in a shower where it's boring and it's like how long does this take?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 4: Every day I'm supposed to do this when I'm swimming. I'm surprised at how I don't mind just paying attention to my own breathing. Yes, usually that's the source for sadness, don't.
Speaker 2: You think though, Because they say that's one of my favorite uh factoids I learned at twenty twenty three. I wouldn't normally look back, but just for this one factoid, hold on now, I'm gonna forget it. It is that when when you flex or use your muscles, it releases dopamine will like hormones into the system. Our muscles are like a pharmacy for feeling good. We just have to use that right.
Speaker 4: I've always said motion is lotion, and that's not just with the joints, it's with happiness.
Speaker 2: You've never.
Speaker 4: I have. I don't. It's only in certain groups support groups, but it is. I've Like, for instance, while I was at home, I thought, all, my, my, I have a weird achilles. Both my shoulders get me problems. And I thought, at the hip, don't forget about my hip because it ain't lyon. My dad just sits and we sat. You know, I acted like a retired guy all Christmas, and I came back so sore. Yes, because there was no.
Speaker 2: Motion, right, And that is the lotion it is.
Speaker 4: It's not the same, I swear it is. Maybe it's just something that rhymes.
Speaker 2: The motion is the lotion I got bone lotion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 4: Motion is bone lotion, which sounds really gross.
Speaker 2: Really it's getting worse by the.
Speaker 4: Bone lotion is beginning to sound sexual.
Speaker 2: It started sexual, and now it's getting graphic and disgusting.
Speaker 4: I guess from the beginning once you mentioned motion, people aren't thinking about the beach. They're thinking about shiny activities in the sack.
Speaker 2: Also motion, because I think the original saying is something about the it's not the size of the whatever.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it's not yes, the size of the waves.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's in defense of men with small penises I.
Speaker 3: Believe, which this podcast stands for.
Speaker 4: Yes, exactly, and we'll constantly bring.
Speaker 2: Up and really will fight for and we'll be fighting for in the judicial system.
Speaker 4: Yes, we are getting That is our resolution for this year is to become way more political.
Speaker 3: Political about ocean motion.
Speaker 4: That's us Yep, we're talking about the environment.
Speaker 1: I also I also spent.
Speaker 2: All of Christmas and the beginning of New Year January with my retired dad, who doesn't move that much.
Speaker 4: How much football did you watch? And do you want to have a comparison.
Speaker 2: Every single game every including college?
Speaker 4: Do you remember that day then where there was five games?
Speaker 2: I do, because I think, well, I'm not actually watching and interacting. I'm just looking at TikTok while my dad watches. And then if he feels like sharing something about what just happened, he'll rewind it and make.
Speaker 1: Me watch it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Man, we have similar gyms when watching football. Do you make it like I do? Make your dad wear the forty nine ers jacket? Come on, dad, my.
Speaker 2: Dad we That forty nine ers jacket made us laugh so hard. So do you remember offhand the person who gave that to us two years ago?
Speaker 4: Yes, Lauren Cannon, she worked for the forty nine ers, no longer does. I don't believe, but.
Speaker 3: We should say.
Speaker 2: I don't think I ever said thank you properly because no.
Speaker 4: You met her before that job she had she had gone to a my favorite murder.
Speaker 1: Me and live show.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh okay cool. So yeah, I've been able to like track that. No in any kind of way. No, So Lauren, thank you. My dad laughed so hard at that jacket. We made him put it on to take a picture, and that was that.
Speaker 4: It is a very that was mid nineties hip hop. It is a flashy jacket.
Speaker 2: It's flashy in the best way.
Speaker 4: Giant letters on the back says faithful to them. The Bay, which is like, you know, there's certain there's certain areas where you'd say that in Oakland and maybe get a cap busted.
Speaker 2: Well, and also or just if you were twenty eight, but like nobody our generation calls.
Speaker 3: It the city, not the Bay.
Speaker 2: Right. That slang changed somewhere in my forties. Oh, when I wasn't paying attention, isn't that all the young comics who were from San Francisco started being like, Oh, you're from the Bay too, I'm like, no, I'm from the city.
Speaker 4: Oh interesting, but whatever. My dad always grew up saying the Bay Area, but he's talking about Monterey Bay. There's so many bags.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's a different thing.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: But also we call it the Bay area, but you would say area, not just the Bay.
Speaker 4: I say the Bay Vicinity. I wore my I have a gold version of that jacket that Lauren gave me. Oh, I one time wore it just outside the house, like I can wear this. I'm totally confident I can wear this flattery jacket. I went in to get my daily booze at the time, and these guys behind me and laughed, just laugh They laughed at me. They pointed from a short distance, which is rude, wagged their fingers and laughed in my face.
Speaker 2: But wouldn't you say that's because San Francisco and Los Angeles are bitter rivals, and so those are probably some Dodger fans that just hate San Francisco, the Bay and the city as a whole.
Speaker 4: I suppose, although I didn't. I find only San Francisco hates Los Angeles. I don't find it to be mutual.
Speaker 3: Oh well, I see what you mean.
Speaker 4: Maybe with sports that's different.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think with individuals, like especially in your neighborhood, there's some serious diehard Dodger fans right right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, when it comes to sports. But it seems like in the city and you lived there, you know more than me. I'm telling tales without any school.
Speaker 3: Without consent.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm just grabbing these tails and I'm telling them.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: I feel like they they actually think we're bad people in this city.
Speaker 3: Yes, up there.
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, there's a lot of judgment and hatred and weirdness that goes just in general about human human beings that live here.
Speaker 4: Like we're vain, we want to be famous.
Speaker 3: Everyone has pactic past plastic surgery.
Speaker 1: Yes, was that? No?
Speaker 4: Oh do you say oh every time you mispronounced word favorite?
Speaker 2: Every time I have a like if it's a four event stutter, there's something wrong, and then it's like, oh, no.
Speaker 4: We're stage three.
Speaker 2: Oh no, COVID brain dysmorphia.
Speaker 3: Again, I mispronounced.
Speaker 1: M M.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I had a great I had a great I had a great visit and left right the day the door fell off that plane. I was, of course on the same model of plane. Did you know that his phone the kid lost his phone out the hole. Yes, and they just found it in Portland yep. Fully operational, yes, still not fully.
Speaker 2: Charged somehow at charge in a teacher's front yard.
Speaker 1: Which that was the.
Speaker 2: News piece that kept taking place when the news I was watching in the b area.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I didn't. I watched it over and over. That's the only update I got. But I had to stay in Portland.
Speaker 2: I mean, can we just talk that through real quick as you someone who travels a ton or anyway amateur pilot, sure, go ahead, loving to drive those seven forty sevens. The people on that plane were so calm, or at least so quiet.
Speaker 4: I expected screaming.
Speaker 3: I mean, what in the living fucking hell.
Speaker 4: I guess that when I Yeah, I was very surprised, or least I expected if it was a plane full of Karen's grifs kill gariffs, I would they'd all be laughing.
Speaker 3: That's right, Yeah, uncontrolled.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's the end.
Speaker 2: But they made this way that.
Speaker 4: Would make more sense than utter calm said. They seemed like if borderline zen.
Speaker 2: Or almost like are they all holding their breath because they're scared so badly?
Speaker 4: I think so. I think they were all in shock. The door's open, and who knows that maybe there was screaming, and that was after a pilot came and said, donating one panic, we're gonna land this. Please stop screaming, and that's when the person pulled out their phone.
Speaker 2: I heard that, and this was on TikTok, so it's gossip until it's verified. I heard that that airline. Do you remember what airline it was?
Speaker 4: It was Alaska.
Speaker 2: Oh, that that airline offered all those people fifteen hundred.
Speaker 3: Dollars a piece.
Speaker 1: Really, yep, that was they.
Speaker 3: Were going to start the settlement negotiation.
Speaker 4: That's that's kind of hilarious. That's an amount that I mean, it sounds okay to get that much for nothing, but it's like I'd almost prefer you offer nothing then shoot that low.
Speaker 2: Well, because here's the thing, it's like they're so lucky that whatever, the crew, the people flying the plane, whatever was happening, that people did not go out that sorry ma'am, that people didn't go out that door, didn't get sucked out at whatever, because then they'd be paying tens of millions of vutis. So to start at fifteen hundred is to say, well, don't worry about it because nothing happened, whereas like everything but death.
Speaker 3: Happened exactly, so you should pay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of money. Yeah, more my favorite the cherry on top with the package I was given, which I appreciated. A hotel, a shuttle. Yeah, I had to stay.
Speaker 1: Wait.
Speaker 4: I was on the same style of plane and the door was possibly wow. I was the one of the call I made that video. It was me, Chris, No.
Speaker 1: Do not lie to me. I was.
Speaker 4: In the air of a couple of short hours after that happened on the same Max eight seven forty seven being made Alaskan, same airline. Right, So I was given a shuttle to a hotel. It was a nice hyatt, but I was given a twelve dollars meal voucher.
Speaker 2: I mean, oh, because they were pulling people off those planes and canceling those slates.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh.
Speaker 3: I'm so sorry. I did not connect. No, yeah, I was grounded Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: And I was not allowed to talk on the.
Speaker 3: Phone because it flew out the windows.
Speaker 4: I was grounded, yes, but I had a nice stay. Importantly, it's enjoyable.
Speaker 2: I mean, they made you stay there. They should absolutely be giving you more than twelve dollars for a.
Speaker 4: Meal and then the flight. Oh, here's your flight. It lands in nearby Coasta Mesa John Wayne Airport.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's not that nearby.
Speaker 4: Got that figured out?
Speaker 3: What a living what?
Speaker 4: What the night of the living wide World of Sports?
Speaker 2: Dad?
Speaker 4: Is this where?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Where we're picking her up?
Speaker 1: Oh wow?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I believe Lisa lives very close to ker Clank her podcast co Hurt.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: I wonder if this neighborhood is what brought them together. I guess we'll find out.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's going to be the question number one.
Speaker 4: The first thing I'm going to be spending it out before she opens the door. I love it because my timing is off. Okay, you can't spend that much time sitting with your dad on a couch and expect to have the impeccable timing. I left this site with I'm a little off.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, wait wait, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: That was me.
Speaker 2: I'm so sorry. It was like we were pranking you.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, not at all. I wasn't paying attention.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do have an issue with the door handles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're hard to figure out. I still have trouble with it.
Speaker 1: It's just it wasn't a concept that needed to be changed.
Speaker 2: It To brush your hand up and down a car like that to try to get inside is crazy enough. But I swear to God every single time I don't realize that the car is locked, and people are just like, even if they do figure it out, it doesn't matter because they can't get in.
Speaker 4: Well, what I do is I jam my finger into the part that I know on latches it and then I do nothing.
Speaker 3: From there, and then you can just stand there.
Speaker 4: It asks to be a finger jam with one falange. The rest you have to wrap around. It's actually kind of complicated. But this white and black interior.
Speaker 1: Is really right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you feel like, do you feel like maybe the futures here?
Speaker 1: I do. I do feel that way. Cool, but I think Postmates does that for me.
Speaker 4: Ladies clubs and colleges across the country. Put your ears together for today's guest, Lisa Traeger Hella and I.
Speaker 1: Hope I don't smell. I mean I should have showered all day and I just couldn't. No, I didn't want to, And then I did text on a lease to double check there's no cameras.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, it's a.
Speaker 1: Totally audio and when I have a hair appointment that's coming up, I just don't want to do it.
Speaker 3: It's like a waste to me. I'm like saving it for.
Speaker 1: When you have a hair appointment. No, I'm gonna have to take care of this tomorrow. But I have been pushing it to the limits. I've only washed my own hair maybe twice in the past two and a half months. Really, I've just been getting blowouts. It just makes me happier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but then I push them to the limits.
Speaker 4: What about conditioner?
Speaker 3: What about it?
Speaker 4: Do you use it regularly or you know that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: My big issue now is I this is not that fun.
Speaker 1: I've developed all these intense allergies to very specific products that are found in most body washed shampoos, soaps, detergents, and so I've pair I can only use so many products.
Speaker 3: There's just nothing for me to use.
Speaker 1: So it just doesn't look as good then when a professional does it. And then if it does, if the water doesn't run down my body, it's okay. If I have an itchy scalp, if I have smooth hair.
Speaker 4: To me, yeah, is that ingredient cruelty? Because I've started using cruelty free conditions that.
Speaker 1: Has nothing to do with you.
Speaker 4: I have nothing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you just wanted to brag about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know I did.
Speaker 1: I do that a lot.
Speaker 3: You got it in there though.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was good. You know it was smooth.
Speaker 4: The timing is coming back.
Speaker 3: Could you use a little coffee? I would I would have loved to get coffee in the car. This is my dream, right.
Speaker 2: This is this is what it's all about, making it so that it's not a big drain on you, but you still get to do a.
Speaker 1: Podcast with us. This is like fun. And lately the past few years, I've really gravitated towards hangs or experiences that remind me of high school.
Speaker 3: Yes, and driving.
Speaker 1: Around chatting is one of those things where like I've been going to a lot of mall movie hangs like that me of youth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's something about being in this car that we missed during the zoom days, where because comparing is just another podcast, right, Yes, And in a car everyone opens up a little more, everyone laughs a little more. Also, you can't even see you don't even know who I am right now? You do see my face and there's something freeing about that.
Speaker 2: I brought this up before, Yeah, I think it's true, and so do you.
Speaker 1: Are you guys familiar with this neighborhood.
Speaker 4: I'm not as much, although I have been down this road. You have this road of not being familiar with an area.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but We're about to go next to Delia's and I'm gonna shout it out. It is the best breakfast burrito, such a good cash on the old school Mexican spot. And it has fresh squeeze orange juice.
Speaker 3: Oh hell, yes, the best it is.
Speaker 1: It really feels special, and they put a little cinnamon in their coffee.
Speaker 2: I do like this neighborhood a lot, and I'm slightly familiar with it, but it feels like the turnover of like restaurants and cool places is very high. Like I would be like, oh, there's that place that I like there and that was four years ago because I have COVID brained.
Speaker 1: So but is it still here or you're saying it's long gone, it's long gone? What was it? Oh?
Speaker 2: Look, there's there's been several where it's like, oh I went to that place or that place is good, and then it is it's not here anymore.
Speaker 1: But there's always getting more bougie here because I follow a lot of the Highland Park Instagram accounts. Yeah, and the comments are always like, oh great, another expensive store for dresses, and people aren't like happy.
Speaker 3: No, it's true.
Speaker 1: But when I saw that there was the new works, I went, oh my god, yes, yeah, come on, we just passed Ilia's and it's by the fire department and catch a peak of the bodies there.
Speaker 4: You start choking. There is there was three businesses that I didn't I think that they just always had the gates down and they were always empty. But it's shot to me that in Echo Park there's now a three business wide climbing gym oh, I believe it. Fucking doors Yeah, and everyone it's packed.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean I've said this has been on It's disgusting.
Speaker 4: Yeah that it hit me once I saw that.
Speaker 1: Something about mountain climbing indoors really grosses me out. Those little colorful knobs, you don't like it.
Speaker 2: I can't grab them, I can't get them.
Speaker 1: I'm like so excited about there's a drive through. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Chris wanted to ask if you live in that neighborhood because Karl was in that neighborhood. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I lived here. I was in West Hollywood and then I had to leave during the pandemic and I left for ten months, and then when I returned, I was like, oh, I want to be near friends instead of near spots. Yes, And I made the right decision. I like being next to a populated street where I could buy greeting cards, where do I candles, where I could get like nice coffees, and I enjoy it a good bagel.
Speaker 3: So I like it here. It's good.
Speaker 1: But big news, I am moving to New York in like three weeks. Are you mean you're moving back? Yeah, because you missed it. Yeah, it's for my spirit, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's for my spirit, my joy, it's where I belong.
Speaker 1: And yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: Is that where you met Cara or Chicago?
Speaker 1: Well, I just knew of her because you know, all comics kind of know each other. But we met at her show in New York If you Build It, she booked me on it.
Speaker 3: But I moved six months before she left for LA.
Speaker 1: From Chicago, like I moved from Chicago, and we bonded in the green room of that show. And then when I would visit here, we had mutual friends and we'd hang out. We're both chatty virgos. It works, It makes a lot of sense. It does make sense, and I don't want to do things and she just really wants to make a spreadsheet at all times, right, Yeah, she wants to tell me where to be and how to do it, and usually like once in a while snap back, but usually I'm like in for the ride and very grateful.
Speaker 2: It's I just can't believe it, Like she's she's a good mom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I don't know like what she and she does ship fast, like the things that terrorize me and ruined my spirit, like the like.
Speaker 3: Cleaning up just the shell.
Speaker 1: She cleaned out my car in thirty minutes and I was it, like was detrimental to my mental health for a year.
Speaker 4: And how did it come up? She just said I'm going to clean.
Speaker 1: Because there were just so many water bottles you'd have to sit on, and she just got sick of it. Yeah, I gotcha. And it's like a sick need for her. Like I'm moving and I have a garage and with the reins, I got a little moldy, and so her neighbor as a power washer. I'm like, honestly, I really don't care to do that, and she goes, well, I want the satisfaction, I'm doing it. I'm like, all right, if you want to powerwashing the garage, I'm definitely not going to stop you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, power washing does or just watching it. I watch a lot of power watching it on Instagram for some.
Speaker 1: Much I we'll invite you over.
Speaker 4: It is immediate satisfaction, very sad. Yeah, anything I watched okay, people showering, if they'd let me, hey wait a suck.
Speaker 3: Hey, well hold on up now, would you watch that you think?
Speaker 4: I mean, if it was close up and I could actually see the dirt leaving the skin, I like it on a Oh god, I'm not a dirty dirt. I enjoy dirt being washed away. So in the opposite, have you.
Speaker 2: Ever seen it on like a high rise in New York City and they go up to power wash it and it's like beautiful alabaster stone that was just gray and kind of greasy. I've seen that before and after, and it's very satisfying.
Speaker 1: I mean, looking at your car, I could tell you're very you're a clean person.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just because it's actually kind of gross right now, But it's because I make people get into it for this podcast, So it would be way grosser if it was up to me.
Speaker 3: Okay, because I am not in touch with any of that.
Speaker 1: I don't believe that for a second.
Speaker 3: This seems quite natural for you. It's natural that it gets taken care of. But I'm not the one that takes care of.
Speaker 1: Oh you're talking about clothes visits. This isn't This smoke shop has never once been open. Oh no, I have lived.
Speaker 4: Here now for like three years. I always wonder about that. Are they paying rent? There's I have so many questions, And maybe that's.
Speaker 2: The only place laundering money.
Speaker 4: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: I mean it has to be a drug fraught. Everything that's a little bit shady or bad. I always think it's just a drug.
Speaker 4: There's a clothing store by my house that no one is ever in there, and you're going, it's one of these stores with like ten eighty dollars T shirts and five pairs of pants, and there's a DJ playing and there's no one, no customers. There's four people working, and I'm just like you, guys, come on, let me in, let me in on this. There'll be a lookout. Where are the drugs? So this?
Speaker 1: But I hate that I've become like a dad like look over here, but will be back. Johnny's was the best bar and it closed on New Year's Oh no, and they're it's gonna open, something else is gonna open. But it was truly like the local watering hole dive bar energy and it was just a dive bar, but the.
Speaker 2: Drinks were good and also not to over inform.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you know more details about it? No, just that it's in walking distance.
Speaker 1: You live so great, I talk about on the podcast. I mean if someone wanted to pinpoint me, they can. I mean, honestly, this street might like they're gonna see downs in their business. They're gonna see be like what happened in February.
Speaker 3: And it's because I left.
Speaker 2: And do you already know the neighborhood you're gonna live in New York City?
Speaker 1: Listen, I'm yeah, I'm gonna be the coolest girl in the world. I Am going to be living in the East Village across the street from one of my favorite places to eat.
Speaker 3: And I see it outside.
Speaker 1: My bedroom window.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, that's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have exposed brick. I'm like smiling ear to ear. I keep looking at the photos that sent me over and over again. That's so cool.
Speaker 3: I just can't wait to walk.
Speaker 1: And you know, I'm a product of sex in the city and I can't wait to kind of live this fantasy.
Speaker 2: It makes perfect sense, I think with I don't know you that well, but I feel like I do.
Speaker 1: But it all really clicks.
Speaker 2: And I feel similar about New York, except for it's almost like I don't have the that era of my life is over because I did get to live there for a year and it was like it did actually start my life over again right when I needed it to.
Speaker 1: Well. There's a joke in BoJack Horseman where he goes New York is the best place to live for six months with a reason, and you have and to have money. And I feel like you nailed it to do a year.
Speaker 2: Yeap, I had a job. That's why I moved there to do a job. So that all of those things plus just that exact thing of you put in your headphones, you start walking and the problem is solved in an hour and a half, whether it's just the mental burden is lifted or something actually does best.
Speaker 1: Trust Slugs Chase super A Foods. If you want a good trust Sledgchase the Little Ones here. Sorry, are small businesses nor.
Speaker 3: Final do Yeah, this is actually quite special.
Speaker 1: We can past the Taco bell I frequently. Billie Eilish grew up in this neighborhood, and we're going to pass one of her favorite businesses called Gelko's. Oh really, and it's a vintage soda, eclectic drink place, old timey candies, and then like Deli sandwiches in the back.
Speaker 4: Oh. I like the sound of that and the guy that sings Karen, what neighborhood did you live in Hell's Kitchen?
Speaker 2: And I lived like three doors down from a pizza place, so I would just come which on that sells It was something that had something to do. No, it was something I had something to do with Hell or the devil. Oh okay, I think it was something, you know, fun whatever, and I think it was connected to maybe being in a Hill's kitchen.
Speaker 3: But it was of course the best pizza.
Speaker 2: But it would be delivered so hot, like the guy, it was literally like they took it out of the oven and walked it down to me. It was incredible and it's it was like truly healing.
Speaker 4: Really, I'm I'm someone that easily burns the roof of my mouth, and that seems like that. If you tell me pizza's hotter than normal, I'm even more.
Speaker 1: Scared of it.
Speaker 2: Well, it was just like crash.
Speaker 3: There was just no delay.
Speaker 1: I'm with you here.
Speaker 2: It was the pleasure it brought right, and then it was just like and then if you're watching bad TV but eating good pizza, you're fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I suppose I don't want one that's been sitting there forever.
Speaker 1: Now. I want my pizza to look like the Ninja turtles that eat it right, And if it does, then I'm like fuck, yeah, yep, this is it. Also, like I know people walk here and they hike and they enjoy that. It is pretty. There's good plants, but I like a city walk like. It doesn't call me the same way here for some reason.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and gauging on how sore I was every day last time I went to New York. I hike way more there. You just walk everywhere. I can't swiftly because everyone's in a hurry. And you got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to paste it up. Now do you think you're ready for that part where changes?
Speaker 1: I'm really more ready than you can. It's kind of I've what I finally realized was I've been in this place of influx like nothing has been permanent. It's just been like since COVID and stuff, nothing's been permanent. I've been in the in between for a while. What are you doing over here?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: My keys fell out of my podcast.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's the loudest keys I've.
Speaker 3: Ever heard ever.
Speaker 1: And now I just feel I mean, my friend, I mean told me she got this, like when you go and we're like, oh, I'm gonna be here like this is my uh, I'm coming back Yep. I can have some permanence. I can hang up the stuff like I just had a hard time being grounded here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let me out. I'm gonna confront this litter bug.
Speaker 1: I don't think you want to do that.
Speaker 3: I think he has other problems.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's struggling and it looks like a T shirt.
Speaker 4: Maybe still I didn't realize it. Let him go. Yeah. Every time I go to New York, I feel like it makes me act a little more motivated, at least for a handful of days back here, and then it wears on.
Speaker 1: Yes, of course, No, I always put a lot of steak in something like fully changing my whole personality but I know I'll still have the same flaws, but it's this glimmer of hope that something change that keeps me going.
Speaker 3: That's right, change the location, you.
Speaker 2: Change hair color is yeah, that's that's that's the point of life.
Speaker 1: My place has just been so messy, and I've really my goal this year is I want to be able to host, right, that's a good to have people over and keep the space like nice so people can always because I'm going to be in such a cool area. Yeah, people are gonna want to kill time with me.
Speaker 3: I know it, yep, And so oh, I'm going to join you in that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was your new Year's resolution or you're just trying to do it, but I said all last year that I was going to have a ton of parties, and I had like three, maybe two.
Speaker 4: No, you did it, you did it.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I want it to.
Speaker 2: I like that idea a lot where it's just like are you all or nothing? Or do you ever have just a little dinner thing? It's all or nothing? So it's like fifty people or nobody. But I think it's that idea of like the stop by vibe, which I do really like is you know, like you do have to be a little prepared for it and just a little bit like in host mode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, pop over.
Speaker 3: I have a couple of friends.
Speaker 1: It's just inspiring to see they just and now the last couple of parties they had, they had little cold brews to go in little glass jugs. Oho as like for your hangover tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a good idea.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you guys have really elevated to a new level.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this is the this is the fig this is the competing street. You know, I'm a York girl.
Speaker 3: This is the Fig Street. But you could always come down a fig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I have like a rivalry in my head. No. The movie theater is great here. It's like old timey where is it? You will put like it's a really obvious awning to the left in a couple of blocks, but it's you know, teens work there and their friends are there that don't work there, and tickets are six dollars and the theater reflects that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot.
Speaker 3: Of shit on the floor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's a cee Mario on an afternoon? It was like it's just kind of perfect. Yeah, wait, did we passed the community pool. Where did you guys grow.
Speaker 3: Up Northern California?
Speaker 4: And then I grew up in Montana.
Speaker 1: Ooh cool fact.
Speaker 4: And now if you want more follow up facts about Montana, it is twenty five below zero where Alaska is nine degrees Like, it is so cold? Does it break?
Speaker 2: Is it in the mountains or like high elevation.
Speaker 4: I don't know. It's I think it's a polar vortex. And that brings me no more information. Is cold?
Speaker 1: It is so c now like Chicago, Michigan. That's all I think. Kentucky. Even this florist is amazing. I mean, this is a fantastic neighborhood.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're just appreciating it before you go.
Speaker 3: No, I do love it. I mean I did choose to live here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, West Hollywood probably would have been way more convenient.
Speaker 2: But I just made a hair appointment at which is right by her.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Oh right, there was it a recommend that's new I met.
Speaker 2: It was not a recommendation. I just need to get this fucking haircut. And just like trimmed, layered and every I swear to god. There was like a bunch of different places that were like Silver Lake or the East Side like hipster places. There was one place where Danielle, who I work with, gets her hair done and it looked really good when she was done. I swear to god. I went on their website and I had to fill out like a questionnaire and they just kept asking questions to the point where I at first was laughing and then I got mad because it was like, what do you like to do on the weekends? Would you say that you're a person who? And then would be like knows what they like? Understands that somebody else.
Speaker 1: Is the X make a hair point?
Speaker 2: Yes, And I'm not kidding you. It was like ten twelve questions. I finally, like the first time it was, I was doing it. I dipped out at like ten questions. Finally I was like, I can't find a place. I'm going back to that other one and it was like fifteen questions when I dipped the second time.
Speaker 1: There's the movie theater to the last like how obvious, like.
Speaker 4: Suck like it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, ooh, Mean Girls, I gotta see that the musical and Night Swim I want to see.
Speaker 3: I actually saw Mean Girls the musical on Broadway. What'd you think?
Speaker 1: I had a great time. I mean I like a I like a musical, like a good time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, is that is it?
Speaker 1: Tina Fey also yes, And then this movie is based on the musical. It's a very hair spray story. You know, that's really like a movie. Then the musical, then a musical based on the movie, and then another reap you know, keeps on, keeps on.
Speaker 2: Given homestay, it's delicious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll miss everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that is Uh. The only place you can get keso is that. It seems like I was so used to melted bowls of cheese. Starting comedy in Austin, it was like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe more Kaso. I love Keso. I'm glad Chipotle out of kso, oh it's good, it is, it is good.
Speaker 2: I actually ordered Chipotle when I was up at my dad's house and they I didn't specify that I wanted chips because you had it was like an extra two dollars.
Speaker 1: But I did order.
Speaker 2: Keeso and they didn't fucking give me chips.
Speaker 4: What do they expect you to do with a bowl of chipless queso?
Speaker 2: But also, if that's a recent change where we no longer throw chips in because we're cool, you, I think that needs to be stated somehow where it's.
Speaker 4: Like at least an asterisk.
Speaker 3: They get they used to give them to you automatically.
Speaker 1: I wonder because.
Speaker 3: I always would rather dip a potato.
Speaker 1: I don't love a chip. I don't. That's my controversial take. I like cheetos, I like Drito's a Finian, I'll like with sandwiches, But for some reason, like chips and dip are never what I'm craving.
Speaker 3: Hmmm.
Speaker 1: I would rather dip a fry into something, or have some sort of potato, or even put it on the bowl.
Speaker 3: What would you have pour it across what you ordered from?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Chipotle? Yeah, yeah, that is a good idea. Yeah, I'm I really I do love Queso. I have cheetos into Queso. I take it to the limit.
Speaker 2: You bring your own cheetos into a Mexican restaurant and then order Queso.
Speaker 3: Just gonna do a little thing of my own.
Speaker 1: My favorite Mexicans I do have is Amigos and Pasadena. It makes me so happy. I have to do that.
Speaker 4: Oh before you go, oh my god, I had a crazy uber.
Speaker 1: Situation where I spilled an ice latte all over hit the seat, like all over the ground, so we came to this car wash and I should have just can't like ended the ride paper and got another, but he took me to the car wash. He vacuumed forever, went to the bathroom. We went through the car wash. He tricked me into giving him so much money. He made me feel so bad, and then he also pulled out and hit one of the employees. No, no, yeah, but then they joked. I think they were friends from the nest.
Speaker 4: Try and make you pay for that too, Jesus.
Speaker 3: No, but it was I was just like.
Speaker 4: And then in the end, how much did it cost you?
Speaker 3: I gave him fifty dollars.
Speaker 4: I'm upset at him.
Speaker 1: I know he's like I have to He's like the smell, the sweetness, I'm gonna have to go somewhere else and wash it. He's like, that was so much liquid, And it was I just he preyed upon my guilt. Yes, I felt so guilty. Yeah, but it wasn't like I it. I was like I got swindled. But then my friend said, for having a crime podcast, it's crazy you got back into a car with a man who's adamant You went in there because I was like, let's just end it. He's like, just sit in the front. Go I don't want to sit in the front, and goes fine, sit in the bell, Like I don't know why I got back in his car because you were trapped. I was trapped.
Speaker 3: You were totally trapped.
Speaker 1: Car wash.
Speaker 2: That kind of shit happened so quickly and people you were trapped and you felt bad like there was It wasn't like a question mark of maybe he's at fault, like he was full victim. And then he worked you because where does it end? I mean, that sucks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he took me back to the Nissan dealership.
Speaker 3: No wonder you're moving back to New York.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But the thing is, I have been attacked in New York twice. But I don't think that's not city dependent. Unfortunately, that's true. Things are just wild.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, that's well less.
Speaker 1: I get more paranoid out here because it is so quiet and I am so high and I am so paranoid and in New York like this, but I am in the at the center of SV like I will be living Because there's a gate on the window and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, I'm gonna ask the super and take it off.
Speaker 1: Then the more I thought about it, I go, I guess it does lead to the fire escape and I will leave this gate on. Yes, I forgot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how serious are you about becoming a criminal investigator.
Speaker 1: I don't think i'd be good enough at it, but I mean I'm I'm always vigilant. I hope to if I could help someone one day, but I don't think i'd be really good at it. I really don't. It's like a real but I did kind of. I'm really good in an emergency situation. So you mentioned choking earlier, Obviously it comes to mind. I did. I did do the Heimlich and say someone's life one really, really I talk about that. I was in my apartment and it was my friend who used to live in that apartment with me, like an old roommate, and she was back for like a friend's wedding.
Speaker 3: Were she first curly fried bite and she choked?
Speaker 1: Oh wow?
Speaker 3: And did she do the thing where she tried to walk away?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: She stared at me and I went, are you choking? And you know they say if there's no noise, then you know it's real. So I knew it was real. Wow.
Speaker 4: I got to work international sign. I don't even remember crossing your fingers.
Speaker 1: It was such a blur, and she did say, She's like, I thought I was gonna fucking die in this apartment, but I also was because then I didn't know if it worked, because nothing flew out, but it did dislodge, but I didn't know that at the time. So I also her and we ran outside and I was calling nine one one two, just in case, and then she said, I got her. But recently, Kara and I were on the road and in Salt Lake City, our uber driver fell asleep at the wheel, and I was vigilant from him in the beginning. I clocked it right away. I was watching him. I was opening the window. I was like, and then once we started veering into the media and I looked in the rear view mirror, eyes closed, and I woke him up. She was right, yeah, And Kara's like, I watched his veer and I didn't really know what to do.
Speaker 4: Wow, what do you do after that?
Speaker 1: Because well, Kara gave him five stars and she was scared to tell me, and then the audience at our Chicago live show bullied her.
Speaker 3: Into it, and I was fit.
Speaker 1: She said, I didn't give him a tip though I go, I'd rather you have given him money and he needs to be put on blast. I don't think the big company will do anything. But my dad was a school bus driver, Like you need special That's what Uber did. It took away the safety guards of like the special professional licenses. Yes, that's right. And if you if you are tired, my that was just a lesson ingrained in me as a young person. So but if you're tired, you pull over and you sleep. You don't pick up passengers at six in the morning. If you're tired.
Speaker 3: No, you can't be a hero.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But also that kind of thing where it's a person that's just kind of made this decision to power through something and then fails at it, where it's like, oh and then we just are supposed to die because of that.
Speaker 1: That's fucked up.
Speaker 4: Also, I think those Uber and Left they like reward them for doing those long shifts, so they're making them, they're motivating them to be driving well tired.
Speaker 3: It's the dystopian future for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like, I mean, it's probably like a trite thing or whatever, But this tweet I keep seeing I like, is like AI should be in the factories and we should be making art, like why is it?
Speaker 3: Why is it not backwards?
Speaker 1: Like what's going on? Yeah? It makes no sense. It's so confusing. Wouldn't the companies make more money with ROPO? I just don't get it.
Speaker 2: And also all the people that are trying to plement it and convince everybody else, they're the ones whose jobs should be replaced, like the guys that run huge companies in into debt are they should be replaced by a robot that can just figure out how to do it better, as opposed to like writers or actors.
Speaker 4: It is I've never said and realized that, what why is there all this talk of you know, AI replacing artists? Have we been up that road before?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I want to go.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's see if there's rich people.
Speaker 4: I don't know why I was drawn to it.
Speaker 2: It's the it's the Museum of the Southwestern American Indian.
Speaker 3: It said, oh wow, yeah, let's draw.
Speaker 1: This is cool.
Speaker 3: When I was you know, I grew up in Skokie and something that meet.
Speaker 1: As a teen, we would drive to Evanston up the Lake shore, like up Sheridan to look at all the rich people's houses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where is skoky.
Speaker 1: Skokey is the north like the beginning of the North Shore. But we're still humble because the train does come to us. Sure, but we're by the lake, we're by Evanston, we're western, and so it's the then it's the beginning, and then it's all these really rich suburbs. And so we would smoke a bowl and drive around looking.
Speaker 4: At the big houses. Yeah, I imagine our favorite. But do you have any memory of living in Russia?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, no, I was a young young child.
Speaker 1: When I left.
Speaker 4: Oh super tiny, yeah, super tiny.
Speaker 1: I do my first memory, and it could just because my parents told me about it. So who knows. But is me falling into a fountain during our immigration process and they were like big fish in like hooy, that's it as a toddler. Yeah, for some reason. That's like when my memories I think started for me.
Speaker 4: You're right, I think. I think I have memories from Monterey, where I was born, but I left when i's too So.
Speaker 3: You made a set of big little eyes.
Speaker 1: Yes, Oh wow, that's.
Speaker 4: What his whole life was like before we were or while we were there. My sister and I were there spreading mom's ashes, fun fun top but she would not stop talking about that show, and I still haven't seen it, but I do have memory, and I think it is because my parents just kept telling stories. But I swear I remember my dad giving me a little fire truck. I visualize it or is it because visualizing it during retellings?
Speaker 3: I mean it seems very possible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, babies don't remember shit.
Speaker 2: You don't know, except the spooky ones. Yeah, the ones that are like I've lived before. Oh sorry, sir.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: My family used to just saw Corgy hellock he are we that restaurant back? Their Glorious doesn't allow strollers.
Speaker 2: And I kind of like thought, oh, take so much room.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't believe in supporting parents, but I also like being like, fuck you, we're doing a strollerless brunch.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It can't.
Speaker 2: Everything can't be to their I mean, and this is only because we recently went when I was home up north, we went to like a gastro pub that was in the neighborhood and there was kids in there that were just screaming, and it's like, I get it, their kids having a good time, like don't be an old crone, but the high pitched like screaming over and over again.
Speaker 3: It was just like it was just so inforting.
Speaker 1: You know, if the word pub is in the title, you can't bring your kid.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, no, nothing makes kids swear like drinking.
Speaker 2: But if you're gonna then just be like quick rule. You can have fun, giggle, laugh, run around. No screaming, that's all. No ear piercing screaming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they don't really want kids, are terrible tippers.
Speaker 2: They don't want to be in a pub. They're looking for something to be doing.
Speaker 4: The answer, I'm gonna admit that I don't know what gastro pub means.
Speaker 3: I think it's like a made up thing.
Speaker 2: When they started redoing bars and being like we also have wings and we're gonna put like garlic on the fries. Right, it's gonna elevate this whole experience.
Speaker 4: But what it's gastrontology or whatever, Like there is a.
Speaker 3: Well that's molecular astronomy.
Speaker 1: Is that what it is?
Speaker 4: Gastronomy?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Different, that's like using it's like food science to make things taste like other things, gels like wild flavors and textures, nitrogen freezing things. So gasro pubs aren't claiming to No, gastro pub is like a ton of beers on tap. And maybe it's a play on a British pub but something different. I don't know. For some reason, it reminds me of what's the wild Wild West? Steampunk? Like I think to steampunk people, right.
Speaker 3: But they're connected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like they're saying, we're now gonna combine.
Speaker 3: It's not just a bar.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have like good food and give a shit instead of like popcorn or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, oh popcorn.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 4: I went an uber experience I had was the out side. It was a normal just Subaru, and on the instant on the guy had put in a tin ceiling. He had gears and goggles on his top hat. No, there was copper plumbing eye.
Speaker 3: But he was steampunk, yes.
Speaker 4: And he puts so much effort into it that I had to be like, oh my god, this is amazing.
Speaker 1: It's not my style.
Speaker 4: I didn't say that, but it was very impressive, all the work he had done. I took pictures of it that I haven't since looked at. But yeah, I don't. I don't understand. That is the other thing. I don't understand. Its steampunk way. Why does it exist, what is what is it based?
Speaker 1: It's just like people can't get laid in regular clothing and they have to find a subculture that's going to fuck up.
Speaker 4: So it got started by Mystery the pickup artist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: Find find your flare and deck your car out with it.
Speaker 2: Whoever looks good in a vest likes long waisted.
Speaker 4: Perhaps, yes, show off those little farms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's yeah, I think of like a pet cruiser. What kind of car was his metal car? Yeah, it suber It was a Suberu.
Speaker 4: But if it's a very pet cruiser super U, it's like a you know, two wheel drive Subaru.
Speaker 2: My confusion about steampunk is just is it Patriot is it all jeweles vern or is.
Speaker 1: There some other you know, like excuse me, like twenty thousand leagues under the sea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, because that's what it seems like where it's like that's it's based in Victorian innovation where they were like, okay, it's not just trains, but we're also that's why everything's like a compass or clock.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Have you seen that amazing movie?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it's one of the best movies. So good.
Speaker 3: Astona is one of the best actresses generation.
Speaker 4: She is I agree that, yes, and and then only to be matched by Jodie Foster and the New Tree Detective.
Speaker 1: But she's not our generation, right, Yeah, she's a generation above us.
Speaker 4: She's in our nineties, isn't Didn't you feel like that poor things was kind of steam punky.
Speaker 1: The fantastical, like a girly steampunk.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He took the fantasy fun elements and left the dork element.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because her wardrobe to me was unreal. I was so blown away.
Speaker 2: You haven't seen it, Karen, No, so good now I really want to.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It just takes place in a very barren Van Lynchauseni type world.
Speaker 1: It was fantastical but grounded and like such cool messaging. I don't know, but in a really storytelling way, not having like clever.
Speaker 3: My Mark Ruffalo is funny, he's so good. Yeah, I love that guy.
Speaker 1: And Emma Stone is just the best acting I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Yep, she's so good.
Speaker 4: I am with you there, loved it.
Speaker 1: It's so cool, you know, for that's messed up. We interviewed the actors, you know, and what's cool is going to someone's IMDb for re search and then you just see like one hundred and fifteen credits and their whole career and all these parts and where they started. Yeah, and it's just so cool. And to think Emma Stone was in Super Braw.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why I was thinking the whole time I was watching the.
Speaker 1: Movie, you know, and now she's like this creepy like forefront because I loved the favorite.
Speaker 2: Too, Oh my god, so good. And also, you know House Bunny. I remember somebody saying, Karen, please watch House Bunny and I was like, what are you talking about, and they're like, please trust me, and then I did, and I was like, I love that girl. I love this vibe, like I have hope for the future.
Speaker 3: This is good news for me.
Speaker 4: I guess I gotta watch House Bunny.
Speaker 2: It's really good. I mean I think in the context of what it was the early two thousand, yeah, yeah, I mean, it's not gonna for what it was.
Speaker 1: And I thought it was hold trash.
Speaker 2: I thought it was like girls, girls and tits.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, yeah, any poster of.
Speaker 1: It have formative years. Being very into the Playboy Bunny Purse. I did the sticker at the Tanning salon like I bought. I liked the girls next door.
Speaker 2: I definitely fell into Yeah, that was a real boy, and it was like in a terror read kind of this is what we aspire to. Whegh, that was just kind of what was going on.
Speaker 4: I was given a free Playboy like beanie hat that I wore hesitantly, and I've never been complimented more by women wearing something with such a surprise to me.
Speaker 1: It's a cute bunny, and it's like the photography is tasteful. Yeah, you know, the hair and makeup, the glam is high right, you know. So maybe that's why women are more connected to yeah.
Speaker 2: And maybe they're just like, hey, I'm up for it. Yeah, it's a great way to let it let people know.
Speaker 1: Yeah people. I think all these people wanted to fuck and you drop the bag, dude, and you're just like the I love my hat.
Speaker 4: One time I went in my mom's room and under your bed she had a Playboy and also a Hustler magazine, which I didn't let her know. I knew about him for at least a year. I won't go into that, but she said her boyfriend brought them over just to show her the difference to change her mind about Playboy and now I get it. I kind of understand what he was doing, just.
Speaker 2: To say, hey, this is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is full on porn. Please don't stop being mad at me for having a Playboy subscription. I think it was.
Speaker 1: And the cartoons were good. I know that was like a classical joke.
Speaker 4: But yeah, they're funny. They were good. They were they.
Speaker 3: Were they were sexy and good.
Speaker 4: They were you know, far Side level, clever, very gary, larceny, larceny. Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the names of the cartoons that's above my Oh did you not grow up loving the Far Side cartoons?
Speaker 4: I was so I had every book?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so my dad loved those. We had the books.
Speaker 4: I love Yeah, I love any situation with a deer or an Amiba wearing horn rim glasses. I love it.
Speaker 2: The classic one, which is the School for Gifted Children and the boys pushing and it says pull and it's just like that's the simplest best.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 2: How did you guys meet me and Chris Fairbanks?
Speaker 4: Yes, that's a good question.
Speaker 1: Where was it Greg?
Speaker 2: I think Greg Bearn told me about you when you moved from Austin to Los Angeles.
Speaker 4: And I believe it was Greg and also Jimmy Pardo that said you should do a podcast with Karen. And then I's like, what's a podcast?
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm, because it was two thousand men's.
Speaker 4: Yes, we've been doing this very long ten years, so crazy, it is insane.
Speaker 1: And then hers, yeah, And.
Speaker 4: Then very coincidentally, I worked with her husband at the time. He was a camera guy for a show I worked on that we use. And then there's my dispensary. Let's get some dummies. The showroom is open, maybe they yeah, weed in the jar well lit in the middle of the room. And I went to their house for just a movie watching. We watched Mac and Me. If you haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: I don't even know. I've never heard of it.
Speaker 4: It's hilarious, insane.
Speaker 2: It was like ET made by McDonald's.
Speaker 4: Yes, I would love that McDonald's product placement.
Speaker 3: It's crazy.
Speaker 4: There are scenes that they do their own version of from ET and it is absolutely insane that it was ever made. But we watched it projected on the side of her garage, and then I remembered, oh, I'm supposed to do something called a podcast mm hmm with Karen Kilgarrif let me bring it up, and she said yes, and the rest. I want to know what this building is to the right, Like, look at this weird architecture, these plants, like, yeah, to pass it all the time.
Speaker 3: It's so strategic. You can't look in.
Speaker 1: Who is it? What is it?
Speaker 3: I've never seen someone go in and out like is it all one? Like it kills me. It's one person's house or apartment building.
Speaker 1: It's a house. They built it from the ground up, which they kind of got built pretty fast because usually it takes from it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and which would why are the vines growing up the side? They aren't they're hanging out like GOLDI locked hair? Yeah, what kind of vines hang like let's go knock. We have to we have to ask them questions. I do love this neighborhood.
Speaker 2: It's pretty great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is this coming to an end or what? Or No?
Speaker 3: I just were wrapping it down.
Speaker 4: I mean we're we're just rap it up.
Speaker 2: But we should ask you some really specific questions.
Speaker 1: Probably yeah, okay, Yeah, take me around the block a few times or further. I do this for hangouts to I always need.
Speaker 3: A little warning before it was too abrupt for you to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what I'm with friends and suddenly I see like they're like an uber thing on their phone.
Speaker 3: I'm like, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: You gotta give me a heads up?
Speaker 4: Okay, well, I how about in the new year? Do you have this? It's generic, but it will provide an answer things in the new year other than becoming a New Yorker again? What are and a host? What are your some of your resolutions or things that you plan on changing about yourself.
Speaker 3: Or underlining about your Yes.
Speaker 1: Honestly, if I am able to upkeep my apartment in a way where I'm hosting, that's probably gonna take so much effort that that's okay, that could be my only focus for sure. No, and that has I Also, I'm addicted to TV, and a part of me I don't know if I could, part of me wants to not buy a TV when I move. Oh that's a big one. How long I can go and if it will change my life for the better?
Speaker 4: Do you listen to music in your place when you're That's how I weaned myself up.
Speaker 1: Now I've heard of music. I need visual stimulation and like a TV always, but I have been I do I should? I think I'm addicted to the TV. Yeah, I think I need to try not to buy one.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like is it because reality TV is a big part of your life and that it's that kind of consumption or everything.
Speaker 1: No, like if we're going back in like therapy stuff. That's just how I was raised. I loved being home alone in the basement watching TV. It was my comfort when my parents would leave and I got to be home alone. Yea with like snacks and Blockbuster. Nothing gave me more joy. So it's like my safe place. So it gives me all this comfort. So I just feel very comforted by staying and watching TV.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, it was the same way when my parents from home. I loved my parents, but when they came home, I was like parties over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even though they left me alone. I don't know why I had such disdain, but I wanted to be alone.
Speaker 2: My sister and I used to watch a ton of TV after school, and my sister uh started this kind of trend that I really loved where we would talk about the performances and who we liked and didn't like as actors and so we like George Clooney was a guest star on Facts of Life and she'd be like this guy, he's not just good looking, he's also good at acting and be like we're like she's eight and I'm six, or just like okay, that's a right, I think so too. I don't be like analytical. She she always had an eye for like the people who were good in things.
Speaker 3: And so it was I think I learned.
Speaker 2: I learned about giving a shit about whether or not people were good at things from her.
Speaker 1: I love that. Is she a good judge of character outside of the television.
Speaker 2: Too, Yes, incredible, like truly like don't talk to that person. It like she knows immediately if someone is questionable or not or like you know, there's you know that thing where like I always love crazy people.
Speaker 3: I really enjoy that.
Speaker 2: Part of being in the arts is like this person could truly be mentally unstable, and that's compelling to me. Let me make eye contact, let me get it in there and figure out what's going on. And she's always like h like she's the queen of don't get involved type of it's more safety base than really I'm surance.
Speaker 3: But she has a good taste overall.
Speaker 1: What a cool specific memory mm hmm.
Speaker 2: It made TV more fun as opposed to just like ugh, because we'd have to.
Speaker 3: Watch reruns all the time.
Speaker 2: We had to watch it was we lived out in the country, so we had three stations. My parents wouldn't get cable, so we had to watch a lot of like Star Star Trek against.
Speaker 4: Our will and your dad never did like mine and climbed up the telephone flow and hooked up hbos a federal Oh cool.
Speaker 1: That's really intent. Your dad's like Homer Simpson.
Speaker 4: I'd hear all those does in the backyard, and I knew he was up to something.
Speaker 2: You knew it was a cinemas time when he.
Speaker 4: Was up this walk of Sparklet they make water here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, they worship it.
Speaker 1: It's cool. I love it. Yeah, I just I love being near this big ass thing. It's like a prison, a fortress.
Speaker 4: Really, what are they afraid it's going to get in there? Yeah? Water theft.
Speaker 1: Maybe it used to be a Oh I guess people will like fight club style like poisoning the water.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: A good point. Yeah, they're very they were. That's just when I saw the bar bire, I'm like, oh, yeah, people want to fuck with water supply the bottles because remember Sheila.
Speaker 3: Do you remember Wild Wild Country?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they like the The rumor was that they ground up beaver and put it in the water supply. What ground up beaver? What was this? It was a documentary about a cult in the Oregon.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, it was.
Speaker 2: And they tried to take over a town, the font and then they got fought and then they just started poisoning. They poisoned people at the salad bar.
Speaker 1: To win votes. So they were they were gonna like take over. So they bust a lot of like homeless people from all over to come live on their thing.
Speaker 3: But then it backfired, if you can imagine.
Speaker 4: Okay, I gotta watch that, and it was just.
Speaker 1: It's a wild story about power and how you know it's happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and all those poor people that I mean, I'm sure that's not most people's attitude about them, but to me, it's like all those kind of lost people that are like, yeah, finally this is my thing, and it's like, Nope, you picked wrong again.
Speaker 3: This is another bad thing. It's not the solution to all your problems.
Speaker 1: Someone online had an observation where it's like in cult docs you can tell who's talking. That's like still into the cult, right, it's like positive energy and I really enjoyed that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it turns out I have that's the only cult based thing that I haven't watched. There's a new one about these like work camps that's made. They were made. They're like unruly children too.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well that happened to my friend in high school. Oh really, well, my friend from childhood, she had an evil stepmom, like straight out of the fucking movies, Like both of her parents died and she was left with this evil stepmother. And my friend was kidnapped in the middle of the night. Your kident to one of these fucking camps. I had no idea where she went.
Speaker 3: That's how they did it.
Speaker 2: They literally would come and break into teenagers' rooms in the middle of the night, and the kids would think they were being fucking kidnapped.
Speaker 4: But they're being scared straight.
Speaker 1: Well exactly, I just walked because now, like there's doc u memories about it, pars Hilton's talked about it, so there's more information. And there was one girl who was saying she was the worst part about being in this like wilderness camp was knowing my parents knew I was here and said here to be tortured, like it's you know, you cannot trust your parents anymore.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is so fucked it's so fucked up, and that the parents were sending them there but didn't do the research to know that, Like the one I just listened to a podcast about the one that was like I wouldn't. They just would take them out into the desert and march them around and be like drop your clothes, drop your you don't get any food, all this shit, and they were being starved and just like kind of exposed to the elements.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one girl died because of heat exhaust Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so fucked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's horrifying. That's that's basically a cult.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: For someone to pay that much money, that's they're expensive. That's the other surprising kind. It's like sixteen grand to abuse your kids in this elaborate way.
Speaker 3: Crazy.
Speaker 1: You can do it for free at home. The abuse people making money.
Speaker 3: I mean, my big soapbox.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm a child free person, and you know the algorithm feeds me things that set me up. You're a child free person.
Speaker 2: But you didn't support me in the screaming child at the gas ro pub.
Speaker 1: Interesting, I did, I absolutely. I said, if a pub is in the name, you can't bring your kid.
Speaker 4: Right, Oh, you're right.
Speaker 3: I guess I just want to really.
Speaker 2: Enthusiastics, and I was.
Speaker 4: Either I stayed very quiet.
Speaker 1: You guys are both miss granted. Oh I but on a plane, I would never get mad because it's like, you have to travel and sometimes your kid comes and it's a nightmare for everyone.
Speaker 3: So yes, it's fine.
Speaker 1: And if you're trying, or you step out, but if you're not even trying to shut your baby down, that's hard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a just a glare.
Speaker 2: I'm just asking for one one moment of that kid gets edited in some way, that's all.
Speaker 1: But the big thing I always people think like you automatically as a parent. Suddenly there's unconditional love, and parents like to talk about unconditional love, and yet so many examples of how conditional.
Speaker 3: Parental love really is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sending your kid to conversion camps, these nightmare desert marching camps. Yeah, you know, kicking your kid out of your house because they're not doing what you want. Like, I don't know why I got to like why they think the way they think about being a parent.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the it's however the kid is acting, is they're doing. It's they're pretending that this kid is suddenly gone totally haywire. And I understand sometimes that can happen if like.
Speaker 1: Of course there's a socio here and there. Some yeah, but.
Speaker 2: Truly like five percent, and most of the time it's because parents didn't like crack the whip like once when it mattered, because they just didn't feel like it, or it was maybe they were exhausted by their their life.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to go as hard on this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like parents do live with so much guilt. And I love you being like, yeah, that's that one moment where you'd weren't in the mood. That's why your kid.
Speaker 3: That's where you stopped up. And I'll never forgive.
Speaker 1: You for it. So much pressure.
Speaker 2: But I have a friend, my friend Adrian had was the first friend of everybody to have kids, and she used to do shit like so she had three kids that were all under the age of like eight, you know, at the same time whatever, and she used to do stuff like they'd be in a restaurant if they were getting like keyed up or whatever, she'd go, You guys better be careful the man's watching. They would all just be super generally freaked out of like what are you talking about?
Speaker 3: And it was just the man like.
Speaker 2: She would just fuck with her children's minds to get them to behave that's scary, which is insane.
Speaker 3: Wait, I want to see that house again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought we were coming up on it. Oh, I think it's this next one. Note how the vines are dangling. They're dangles, dangle vines. They're dangle vines.
Speaker 1: And I don't specialized danglevie, but it is such an interesting eighties looking at home. Yes, dangle vine, dangle vines, beetlejuice. Like the fact that you can't look in at all, Yes, that is a design person. That's Those are freaks. I don't need to know more about them.
Speaker 2: But also they're like saying, don't look in here, but we're going to make this look really interesting, but please don't look in here.
Speaker 4: Yeah. That makes me just want to look in there more.
Speaker 2: The circle makes me want to go right up in there, yeah and look in Yeah. Okay, Lisa, when you leave Los Angeles, yeah, like, what do you feel like your plane lands, You're going to go in You're going to go straight to the Lower east Side, slap down your backpack, what have you, and then you're going to crack your knuckles and be like, here we go. Sure, what's the first thing, fun thing that you really miss that you want to do when you get back to NYC?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know if it's the fur top top my goal just overall, I like being a regular, So I can't wait to get my bodega relationship going.
Speaker 3: I can't wait to find my corner stores.
Speaker 1: There's a diner, like, I can't wait to start showing my face at this diner. You know. I want to build the relationships around my block with my laundry person.
Speaker 3: So that's like all of that.
Speaker 1: But I think when I get there, I'll just start walking around because my boxes won't even be there.
Speaker 2: I don't think, ooh, that's kind of exotic to just be there with whatever you can hold.
Speaker 1: Yeah, fun, maybe I'll find I mean, the cool thing to do would be to go out to a bar and then have sex in my just Bear apartment. Yep, I think that would be like goal yes, wood floor, Yeah.
Speaker 3: And with the bartender. So you can never go back to that.
Speaker 4: Yes, fun, don't sleep with the bodega personal. You just befriended.
Speaker 3: You need that guy in your life.
Speaker 4: That is something that's very specific that I did. You know, they don't even have bodegas here, but when whenever I'm staying in New York, even if it's for a week, I do befriend the bodega guy. And they do. They always do a good job of like remembering, Oh, you're the guy that's visiting same thing as yesterday. It's such a cool relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they Yeah, it does a lot for the mood, and I feel cool.
Speaker 2: I feel cool when they remember it's community. Yeah, like that's exactly you belong somewhere.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah. I keep referring to things I saw on the internet. I really need to croc open a book and live a life. But not even one sentence like well my friend said this, not once. No I do.
Speaker 3: All I do is I saw on TikTok.
Speaker 2: I saw on TikTok, which, by the way, I wanted to tell you I saw a clip of yours on TikTok and you were on another podcast that I don't didn't recognize the people that were in it, but you were so.
Speaker 3: Funny and so compelling.
Speaker 2: I was so excited to be like kind of experiencing you in the wild and being like, she's so good, she's so good at comedy.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, yeah you are.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, too, I either you do stand up very often or we just happen to be on a lot of shows together, because I always thought that's about Laurie Kilmartin too. I'm like, every other show is on. She seemed to be on it also. But you're always so effortlessly and the audiences immediately like you, and it's just that's so nice. Yeah, it's really cool to watch.
Speaker 3: It's great. Yeah, so it makes me happy to watch.
Speaker 4: If you're ever, if you're in New York. She leads alive.
Speaker 1: It is what I am the happiest I do like performing so.
Speaker 4: Much, me too, and chatting. I found I found that while I was at home though, where I'm happy and I was relaxing, we were passing Kara's house.
Speaker 1: Up the kids, they're up. What time is it.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you exactly what they're doing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, this is dinner time.
Speaker 1: This is different.
Speaker 3: It's a perfect time to stop by.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's asti pasta happening, or she's that's someone else that looks like the best thing about Karen her daughter's relationship is everything she says about Rosie. I'm like, that's you.
Speaker 3: Oh you don't know how to deal with yourself.
Speaker 1: Like that's so great. She needs this. I'm like, yeah, I've gone out to you with you. That house is cool too, Yes, it's on a corner, but I feel like that's such a.
Speaker 2: I just wish people would get first curtains first.
Speaker 3: You don't need to be inviting the public as.
Speaker 4: Then get the hillside of such.
Speaker 1: But don't you like looking into homes so much? It's a gift.
Speaker 2: It's actually in fucking New York City that is Like I could walk around all night looking into those brownstone first floor like things, and like every single one was a more beautiful, amazing one than the last one.
Speaker 1: You know. The one thing that didn't happen during my tenure here in LA that I'm upset about is at the comedy store across the street there's the Pendry Hotel, and people fuck at the windows really yeah, to get their Jolley's off. Oh yeah, they know.
Speaker 4: What they're doing, really oh wow.
Speaker 1: And the people will watch like comics have been able to experience that I haven't yet.
Speaker 4: So see if there's another reason I should have been a regular there.
Speaker 1: You got to.
Speaker 2: Figure out what the equivalent in New York City is and find that so much to see people.
Speaker 3: Fuck, probably people masturbate on the train, not as not at.
Speaker 4: All, not as not as exciting, that's four feet away.
Speaker 1: As not as sexy, definitely not as sexy when my parents do not love New York. But we all went for my cousin's wedding. This was before I lived there, and I wanted to take them to milk Bar. This is like twenty eleven or something or twenty twe but I was like, we have to go to milk bar. And all my nieces and nephews passed by a jerking off person.
Speaker 4: At Oh wow.
Speaker 1: It was wow. It's like, wow, the kids are seeing their first public jerk offs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have to know this is the real world.
Speaker 4: That's not the kind of milking. I wanted them to say.
Speaker 2: There was a guy that I passed on Hollywood Boulevard who was doing that. I believed that he was a homeless person and he had the biggest dick. It was wild and crazy. It was just like, how is this?
Speaker 1: How is this not a job and yeah what Yeah?
Speaker 2: Really it feels like you should have more than what you have based on.
Speaker 4: What you have. Yeah, I noticed that all the time, all the all the guys in my neighborhood that are just ripped. I'm like, why are you in better shape than me? And do not show me your dick. I don't want to feel bad about that too.
Speaker 3: Well, it is I feel.
Speaker 1: Like if if you have such a big dick, you like, the earlier you get your dick sucked, the more of a mess of your life is going to be in the future. Okay, because you're just getting your dick sucks so early you don't know what it is to try. Yeah, and then you just become complacent. It just that's why big dicks hot people sometimes don't achieve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just don't. They never felt the longing for anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like the hottest girl in high school sometimes does end up working at ihop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sometimes a big dick just slows you down.
Speaker 1: There is one porn star I think it Dread, and he's known as like giant giant dick. But he had to stop because like the blood, he just doesn't have enough blood in his body to circulate to get his dick.
Speaker 3: Fully hard all the way from Wow.
Speaker 1: Bottoms of the tip, dude like get lightheaded. It's just it wouldn't get hard in it. It just it was just injuring people and not ard enough and just took up too much blood. He couldn't do it.
Speaker 3: Wow, there is a burden to.
Speaker 1: Too big of a day.
Speaker 4: I wonder if someone that ever had like a heart attack because all the blood was occupied down there.
Speaker 1: Interesting. I'll ask my friends medical journals.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about wrapping this up?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, well, thank you for the warning. And you really did take me around longer than anticipate after I said it, So I feel really good about that.
Speaker 2: I just don't want you to ever feel dumped off, not from this podcast.
Speaker 4: Do you have anything they want to promote anything that I do.
Speaker 1: I'm on the road doing stand up. I have a link tree.
Speaker 4: So I've been meaning to do that. That's my resolution.
Speaker 1: At glitter Cheese is my Instagram. But I'm gonna be in Saint Louis, in Boston, Chicago, Nashville, Tacoma, Spokane, Spokane, get.
Speaker 4: Over Yeah, yeah, that's where my sister lives. Spokane Comedy Club. You're gonna love it.
Speaker 1: Rochester, Baltimore, I've never been. I'm gonna live my John Waters fantasy. I'm gonna go to Ace of Cakes, eat some uts, chips, crabbed dip. I can't wait.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, you're gonna love that.
Speaker 1: I think. I mean, it's so cool to go to a place you've never been.
Speaker 3: Yes, so fun.
Speaker 1: Good morning Baltimore.
Speaker 3: Here I come. I'm so excited you acted.
Speaker 1: I am an actor.
Speaker 4: Thank you, you've acted. What should people watch that you're proud of?
Speaker 1: Thank you? Your recent cool thing was I was in Michelle Buteau's Netflix show called Survival of the Thick. Yes, it didn't come out the day the strike rules were enacted, so I was not able to talk about it, But it felt really cool to be a Netflix show, really good hair and makeup. I played kind of a maniac. I play like a culture culture cult appropriator.
Speaker 3: And it's just good. It's rom com, fun vibes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, did we're I love Michelle. We're your friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've met her a long time ago. I always looked up to her. She's so cool.
Speaker 3: But I did have to audition, you know, oh yeah twice.
Speaker 4: That makes you appreciate the rule that I knew.
Speaker 1: I got it because after my audition, she goes, I think we got it, and I go, yeah, we do, bitch, let's do this, genius girl.
Speaker 2: It's better that you had to audition because then you had to compete and you won.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I also this is cool.
Speaker 1: I was not. I was supposed to be a very deeply unlikable person, and I made the character likable, so I got to have more episodes. Nice.
Speaker 4: Oh that's great.
Speaker 1: I was supposed to do something horrible and get kicked off out of the show, and then instead they like changed it.
Speaker 3: Nice, so I keep you around.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 1: Great, So that's and then I do get kicked by a horse and nope.
Speaker 4: This guy's just doing push ups. I thought i'd point that out.
Speaker 3: Wait sure, oh my god.
Speaker 4: Cool he stopped.
Speaker 1: I know. But he's hot.
Speaker 3: Yeah he can do what he wants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's fucking hot.
Speaker 4: Like his face.
Speaker 3: If you hate his body.
Speaker 4: Body, keep doing those push ups, work on it to catch up.
Speaker 1: I think that's the hottest person I've seen in Highland Parker. We'll be honest, I'm fully am in love.
Speaker 3: Days before you leave, isn't it? Isn't that always the way.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go change and go do push ups on the ground next time.
Speaker 4: I'm lately looking for company.
Speaker 1: Hey, what's up?
Speaker 3: I was doing this too.
Speaker 1: Not to brag, but I have been going to Taylor Swift themed soul cycle classes for my exercise. Yes, it really is fun.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We all sing really, yeah, we all know the words.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we sang along.
Speaker 2: My sister and my niece are huge Swifties, and they went to the concert and they're so into it. And it got to the point where I was like, hey, can one time be in the car and not listen to a Swift And they both were like no, It's like all right, Well that's how it is.
Speaker 1: That so I'm a new Swiftie. And I could tell that Kara is getting fed up. Yeah I can't. There's not I can't stop talking about her. Yeah, because there's so much to learn. There's so many songs because you're catching up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm catching up exactly.
Speaker 1: So like yesterday during the ride, there are two songs I didn't recognize and then I looked them up and it's an album I thought I didn't like.
Speaker 3: And now look at me.
Speaker 2: Now you have a brand new thing to explore.
Speaker 1: New songs, and then the fans are so happy that you're in it, so they have suggestions and some always have something to say.
Speaker 3: And I google her every morning to see what she wore the night before.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, okay.
Speaker 2: She really does deliver though on all those things. Like the outfit she was wearing at the Golden Globes was so awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard it was reputation coded. It wasn't. Yeah, because we Karen I, were doing other show in Seattle and we meet the listeners and afterwards one of the girls goes, did you see the dress for I go not yet, she showed it, she had it on. She goes, it's so reputation coded. And then a girl like twenty people be goes, did you see the dress yet? I go, I was shown it and she goes rep coated.
Speaker 2: And yes, it's the album.
Speaker 3: Oh and I guess it's like the color of a snake.
Speaker 1: So she was dressing green a lot to like be like the snake emoji, because you know, people were weaponizing it against her, and she went, now I'm the emoji. Oh wow, I think I can't be sure.
Speaker 2: But also like the hangout that she was having with Slena Gomez and that whole thing was So that's why I love her so much, is she's doing it so well. She's first of all just successfully and monetarily, but then just she's teaching people how to be cool in like a way that's helpful. Like girls are being very empowered and being very like, yes, you stand behind your friends and you like make sure the girls are okay and you did it whatever. And it's like that that's new, like as a person from the eighties, that's new, and it makes me really happy.
Speaker 1: And she likes being famous. She wanted to be famous, and she appreciate like she isn't like, oh, leave me alone, right right, And I really love that too, where she's like, yeah, I wanted to be famous and now I'm famous. Yeah, so now I'm gonna be famous.
Speaker 2: I'm the most famous, and I'm fucking perfect looking and really good at writing songs.
Speaker 1: But then she'll also wear affordable things because now I'm looking at like she wore a green velvet dress last week and it cost one hundred twenty seven dollars.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, two thousand.
Speaker 1: Dollars boots, but one hundred twenty seven dollars Druss Hey, you've got.
Speaker 2: To accessorize, and they have to be key pieces exact. You can't just shoes are important.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it feels good to be a Swiftie. It wasn't good on the other side, it didn't feel good, and now it feels right. It feels good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm on the other side. I feel like I gotta get on board, honestly.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna go home and put it on and then the pack.
Speaker 2: You should, Chris, you should watch the Tour, the Errors Tour movie, Okay, and then that'll kind of like get you into what everyone else is kind of reeling from and him Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Ok because then you can find your era and then listen to songs from that era and see if you connect more.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I'll just dip my toes into an era.
Speaker 3: Yeah, take it easy.
Speaker 1: I haven't watched it because I'm hoping to see her next year live. Oh yeah, yeah, I'm still I'm hopeful I'm going to make that happen.
Speaker 2: I haven't watched it because and I honestly love her and have have listened to her for a long time, as has my sister and my niece. But if I watch the Errors movie. I will not stop crying the entire time, and I just don't want to go there at the moment.
Speaker 3: But it's like such a big deal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the fact that her and Beyonce were having this kind of like back and forth domination of all entertainment last year in a way that was like billions of dollars or trillions of dollars, I know, so much money.
Speaker 1: Like Yeah, the fun fact I like to say that I learned in the Time magazine article because of the Friendship bracelets, the bead market went up five hundred percent, Like craft stores were selling out of beads.
Speaker 3: They've had record profits.
Speaker 1: And then girls on Etsy were making millions of dollars making the Friendship bracelets.
Speaker 4: Yes, funny, like full.
Speaker 1: Economy shifts, food banks making more money, Like she donates to food banks everywhere she goes. They would get so much money from her. They're like we could feed people.
Speaker 3: For a year, like a day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: She makes seismic changes in people's lives and I don't care about her emissions.
Speaker 3: She can't fly commercial.
Speaker 2: Right, No, no, no, it's she is way past that point, way past that. And also it's like if you're worried about emissions and people's carbon footprint.
Speaker 3: Start with the CEOs because they're the ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the people start with the men who are just like flying to their dumb golf course.
Speaker 4: Or buying her boyfriend's jersey is the top selling just because of the connection with her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're on planes going to Epstein's Island.
Speaker 3: We're all thinking it.
Speaker 1: I mean, so beautiful place.
Speaker 3: Chris loves that temple.
Speaker 4: A lot of people went there. Tolda Swinton was not there for nefarious reasons. It's a nice beach.
Speaker 1: What if I was.
Speaker 4: I was always apology.
Speaker 3: It's a beautiful island.
Speaker 4: There's other places on the island you can be off compound.
Speaker 3: This was amazing.
Speaker 1: Honestly, I didn't want to end without any without mentioning Jeffrey Epstein's.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank god we got.
Speaker 1: And then you guys keep talking, right, I take off the mic and just leave into the night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna actually talk about what you talked about and read it.
Speaker 4: Okay, well we're gonna close out. We stop right when the door shut.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh really, Yeah, you can actually be here for the Outroy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, so go see Lisa at the city. She mentioned on Watch her to stand Up Live.
Speaker 2: She supported us hand Up, She's brilliant.
Speaker 4: You've been listening to Do You Need a Ride? D y n aar Oh oh there we go. See that's fine. This has been an exactly Right production produced by Analise Nelson, mixed by Edson Choi.
Speaker 2: Our talent booker is Patrick Coottner.
Speaker 4: Theme song by Karen Kilgarrett.
Speaker 1: Artwork by Chris Fairbanks.
Speaker 2: Follow the show on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook at dinar podcast That's d y nar Podcast.
Speaker 4: For more information, go to exactly rightmedia dot com.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Oh You're welcome