Speaker 1: Podcast. Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where a conservation always wins. And we've been sitting in the room for a minute. Some beers have been opened and we're ready to play. So I'm your host, Spencer Newhart, and today we're joined by Giannis Putellis, Mark Kenyon, Tony Peterson, Tyler Jones, Clay Newcombe, Jordan's Bud, and Seth Morris. Now, Jordan, this is your first time playing Meat Eater Trivia. How do you feel about your chances?
Speaker 2: A little worried about looking like a dumbass?
Speaker 1: Okay, but you spend some time between Idaho and Nebraska, right, I feel like that gives you kind of an advantage, like gallivanting around the country that should maybe help you out right well traveled. Yeah, that's part of the game. We often see in this room that questions from the South folks don't do well with. This is a good thing that we have Clay and Tyler here to give us some Southern representation. And Danielle and Danielle. Danielle's I just I too often think of you as a North Dakotin. I know that's not fair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is Danielle that's the club, right.
Speaker 4: We really love North Dakota, and I talk about it like I still live there, but.
Speaker 1: I know honorary North Dakotin. Now, this is a ten round quiz show with questions from Meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing, and each week here on Trivia, we reveal a new stat In a previous game, we learned that the average winning score is seven point two points. But what does it take to get silver bronze. Well, the average score for sixth place is three point one points. For fifth place, it's three point eight, for fourth, it's four point nine, for third it's five point seven, and for second it's six point six. So if you want a spot on the Imaginary Meat Eater Trivia podium, you need to score at least five point seven points. Okay, Clay, can you get there this time?
Speaker 2: You think, yeah, I'll get there.
Speaker 1: I don't think you were on the podium last game, though.
Speaker 2: But I had five, so I wouldn't right around. I'll tell you what I do feel good about this round? Is that Brody Henderson's not sitting to my left and we.
Speaker 1: Had to twist his arm for him to not play. We just recorded an episode right before this. Brody was not supposed to be on, and he did not like to learn that he wasn't invited to this one. He even said he would stand in the room if there weren't enough seats or microphones for.
Speaker 5: Wow, was he uninvited after he won the first one? Or you only had him scheduled for.
Speaker 1: Just wasn't on the invite because it's a special occasion. We have all the out of town folks here and wanted to use them for the games of trivia. That's why you're not here.
Speaker 5: Well, it's because we have a special relationship. That's right.
Speaker 1: Ye, we're in a club.
Speaker 2: Apparently invited to.
Speaker 5: I just looked up as an associate or organization dedicated to a particular interest or activity. I don't think you should be offended.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not offended.
Speaker 5: You said you were.
Speaker 2: I mean it was hyperbolic offense.
Speaker 1: Okay, now here is zero percenter question of the week. We're just gonna move on this test. How much our players have retained from a previous game. This was from episode three sixteen. The topic of is fishing, and nobody got this question right. What southern state has the most species of fish? You don't have to write down answering, just shout it out if you think you know it. Wait, this isn't This is not part of the game. This is from a previous game. This is a question nobody got right when we played that time. So now I'm gonna test to see if anybody in freshwater just species of fish, what southern state has the most speed Florida. Florida is incorrect, George. Everybody in the room said Florida. Georgia's incorrect as well.
Speaker 5: Alabama is right.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: The incorrect answers given were Florida and Louisiana. Alabama is home to four hundred and fifty species of fish. Some biologists say that one Alabama river alone has more species of fish than the entire state of California.
Speaker 3: Now does this does this only count native species?
Speaker 1: No, just species that live there. So I think it was three hundred and fifty were fresh water and one hundred were marine species for Alabama.
Speaker 2: How many native verse non native?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 3: I remember that Lord's got a lot of non natives in there.
Speaker 1: Listen, man, you can take it out, but I think it was Encyclopedia Britannica that had this stat.
Speaker 3: Do you guys remember when you could get the Encyclopedia on cd ram?
Speaker 1: Does anybody remember that and take it? You had that?
Speaker 5: I did. I would think that a fella that had that on cd RAM you'd fare better in trivia. Hey today, Mark, I feel like you still have that. It's called Google.
Speaker 2: Yah. They called Mark cd Rahm in high school.
Speaker 1: Is there that we have some housekeeping to get to? In a previous game, I asked chat gpt to write me some trivia questions about hunting, fishing, conservation, and cooking, and as we learned, it failed that task miserably. But listener Kyle Abbott emailed me saying that although chat gpt can host trivia, it might be able to play. So he transcribed thirteen games and one hundred and thirty four questions and asked chat gpt to answer them. Here's how it did. Chat gpt would have won twelve out of thirteen games. It had an unprecedented eighty three percent batting average and actually had two perfect games, But it was flawed. When it came to hunting, chat GPT only got fifty nine percent of hunting questions right, which is worse than players like Brody, Tony, Jannis, and Rick. So, although robots can own them when it comes to fishing, conservation and cooking, we've learned that artificial intelligence can't replace a human's knowledge of acquiring meat.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's that's big.
Speaker 3: What that speaks to is that people who write about hunting on the Internet aren't doing a very good job of it. Then, because chat gpt just scans everything on the Internet, that is probably not something you should say.
Speaker 1: Dot com you should go there. You learn everything you need to know.
Speaker 2: Did you did you hear us on the bear grease render? One time? We talked about the the article that was written where it was calling me mud Nukem and my wife Foggy Nukem. What. Yeah, there was there was an article written by some bot that was sent to us and it was on the Internet and it mentioned me and my wife's name like three different times, Clay and Misty Nukem. The first time it said Clay and Misty, the second time it said mud and Foggy, the third time it said dirt and rainy.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it thought that these were like descriptive words that needn't be changed, so missed and I started going by mud and foggy.
Speaker 1: That's get dirt newcomb. I hope you do okay this round.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: The Shelby index for today's game is a four, so our winner should get eight correct answers. And with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything?
Speaker 2: How's that?
Speaker 1: Just tend to win everything?
Speaker 2: Gamon suckers.
Speaker 1: Question one. The topic is cooking, and as always, this will be multiple choice. Which of these cuts of elk meat costs the most per pound from elkusa dot com? Is it bone in, ribbi, tenderloin, flank steak, or New York Strip? Again, which of these cuts of elk meat cost the most per pound from elkusa dot com. Your four choices are bone in, ribbi, tenderloin, flank steak, or New York Strip. Confident answer from Tony, Tony, you're chewing on some elk meat this year. You're gonna get this right, I hope so, Buddy Danielle also with a very quick answer, do you have the right answer.
Speaker 4: If I'm wrong, it will be a testament to.
Speaker 1: How much wild game you'd get without buying it right.
Speaker 4: No, it'll it'll be the fact that this is a product being selled from a farm elk, and I'll be very upset about it.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 5: Give me, Give me the chance for choice.
Speaker 1: Our bone in Ribbi, tenderloin, flank steak or New York strip.
Speaker 2: The back of my board, says Seth catches small fish.
Speaker 5: Is true to watch the mont? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Need you have an answer? Yes, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Danielle saying tenderloin, Jordan saying bone in Ribi, Tony saying tenderloin, Tyler sag New York strip, Giannis sang tend Mark saying tenderloin, Klay saying bone in Ribbi, Seth saying tenderloin. The correct answer is tenderloin did pretty well. The tenderloin costs fifty nine dollars and ninety five cents per pound. That's followed by the New York strip and bone in Ribbi at thirty two dollars and ninety five cents per pound, and flank steak at twenty four dollars and fifteen cents per pound to purchase an entire elk's worth of meat, which is one hundred and seventy two pounds, it costs just over three thousand dollars. Wow, makes you appreciate your wild game a little more, you know.
Speaker 5: It's interesting back in the day when I used to do some bartering with my wild game, before I knew it was illegal to do such things.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't do it again, would never, yep.
Speaker 5: But I to barter for oil changes, ski tunes and ski lift tickets were a popular thing because very expensive to ski at the skiers where I used to live at roughly back then it was like one hundred and twenty five hundred and fifty a day. But I used to say when people were in a trade, I'd say, look my elk, I think it's worth about two thousand dollars. Really, and yeah, that was the number I gave. You were close, Yeah, but that was also almost twenty years ago, so.
Speaker 2: Well passed the statutes of I.
Speaker 5: First that all cost about three thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think there's a lot of elk that get killed where folks pay even more than that.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: Question two, the topic is conservation. This next great question comes to is via Colin Drovedal. If you have a question you think is right for media to trivia, you can send it to Trivia at the mediator dot com. Name either the state with the most National wildlife refuges or most acres of National wildlife refuges. Name either the state with the most national wild old life refuges or the state with the most acres of national wildlife refuges. Danielle with a quick answer. The rest of the room doesn't look as confident you got this one, Seth no Clay, what do you think is the closest national wildlife refuge to you? Are there any in Arkansas?
Speaker 3: By you?
Speaker 2: I'm changing my answer.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry. Does everybody else having.
Speaker 2: If the answer was what I was good about to answer them, it wouldn't have been that one.
Speaker 5: Answer real health?
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 2: The answer to your question is the White River National Wilife Refuge. Huh, Arkansas is pretty big.
Speaker 1: Maybe it's the biggest. Maybe it has all the acres.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I thought, Tyler. How are we doing all this? I'm a poker. I'm like looking at Yannie's eyes and thinking about my answer and being like, I feel like Mark, look at Mark.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Mark, I've got a couple ideas on too.
Speaker 1: I got to the state with the most refuges, were the most acres of refuges. It's everybody ready, Tyler, yeah, I think so go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Danielle saying Minnesota, saying Montana, Tony saying Alaska, Tyler saying Nebraska, Joannis saying California, Mark saying California, Clay saying Florida, Seth saying Montana. The two states are Alaska with the most acres and North Dakota with the most refuges. Wow, now Danielle is the honorary North Dakota and Florida. First, how did we arrive in Minnesota?
Speaker 4: For the answer of a combination of like water a lot of refuges in the waterfowl because I know they are in the northeast part of North Dakota, but I thought there were more in Minnesota, and then I was also thinking about the waters.
Speaker 1: North Dakota has the most National Wildlife refuges at sixty four, which is nearly double the number of second place California. Alaska has the most acres and nearly seventy seven million. Despite all those refuges, North Dakota has less than half a percent of the amount of refuge land that Alaska does.
Speaker 2: Hey, did you know that Hult Collier has his own National Wildlife Refuge I did.
Speaker 1: After seeing your post on Instagram.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. We did a whole podcast on Hult Callier.
Speaker 1: What's that podcast called, Clay.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the Barker's Podcast. But it was a series we did on Hult Coller which is an incredible, incredible story.
Speaker 1: Question three, the topic is hunting. What movie was a Missouri man sentenced to watch after getting busted for poaching hundreds of deer in twenty eighteen? What movie was a Missouri man sentenced to watch after getting busted for poaching hundreds of deer in twenty eighteen? Quick answer from Tony and Danielle Clay looks perplexed. Clay, what's the last movie you watched?
Speaker 2: The Outlaw of Josie Wells. I know that one. I watch about two movies a year.
Speaker 1: Do you think the poetry would be sentenced to watch that one?
Speaker 2: It would have been a good one because the Outlaw. You know it kind of gets ostracized by the world and he goes to live with the comanches, you know, find some find a woman. I mean, there's a lot of good stuff going on there.
Speaker 1: Again. What movie was a Missouri man sentenced to watch after getting busted for poaching hundreds of deer in twenty eighteen? Tyler, you have an answer?
Speaker 5: I got one.
Speaker 1: Yanni, you have an answer, Yes, sir, go ahead and reveal your answers. Oh yeah, Danielle saying bamby, Jordan's saying bamby, Tony saying bamby, Tyler A saying Bambi, Yanna saying Bambi. Mark saying The Moonlight. I know that's your favorite movie you watch every year before Deer Opener, Clay saying The Outlaw, Jo C. Wales Seth saying The Deer Hunter. The room did well. The correct answer is Bambi.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: A prosecutor said that David Barry Junior bragged of friends that he had poached twelve hundred deer in Missouri. He was sentenced to spend a year in prison and forced to watch Bambi once per month during that time. Lawyers from both sides called the punishment bizarre, saying they'd never seen anything quite like it.
Speaker 5: Mark, was your favorite? What's your favorite line in Escana in the Moonlight.
Speaker 3: She had a tongue of a trout And then he says, your mother had the tongue of a trout, and he watched that movie once a year?
Speaker 1: Right, Mark? Or is it more than that? Even?
Speaker 3: No, once a year? The first half of it usually that it gets extra weird.
Speaker 5: The second half of the movie.
Speaker 3: Does it goes from it goes from weirdly really weird.
Speaker 1: But a question for the topic is woodsmanship. This next great question comes to is via our very own Rick Hutton. If you want to if you have a question you think is right for med Eater trivia, you can send it to trivia at the mediatter dot com.
Speaker 2: Which Zipper does. FHF. Gear used to quick.
Speaker 5: Question Spencer one of my questions.
Speaker 1: Yet I don't think so. If I did, though, you wouldn't be here to hear it yet.
Speaker 5: I know, okay, I'm not here a lot, and I'm asking if you've used.
Speaker 1: The hard thing, Yannie, is that I organize my questions in my trivia inbox and you text them to me. So they tend to get lost, So I'd ask you from now on, Yannie, when you have a great question. I know it's a little more inconvenient, but send it to Trivia at the medieater dot com, just like Rick and everybody else.
Speaker 5: So no problem. I didn't know that that was what you wanted.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm not. I don't like you any less, Yannie for doing that, I very much appreciate your help. Clay had the same question the other night at Steve's. He says, Spencer, have you used my question yet? We went back in his text he send it to me in August of twenty twenty two. I have not used the question yet, but Clay, you can send it to Trivia at the meat eater dot com.
Speaker 5: Pure.
Speaker 2: I just kind of thought we were closer than that a text message.
Speaker 1: It's hard to organize, okay. Osha uses this term to describe large broken tree limbs that hang in limbo and could easily fall on people below. Ohsha uses this term to describe large broken tree limbs that hang in limbo and could easily fall on people below. I'll have you know. When Rick submitted this question, he sent it to Trivia at the medeater dot com. Which was very helpful.
Speaker 5: That's enough.
Speaker 2: I had a great question texted to him.
Speaker 5: I can't wait to hear it.
Speaker 1: Quickly answer this side of the room, Tony Jordan, Danielle, do you have this one right? You think?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I've heard it.
Speaker 8: I've heard what I think it's called, but I'm not sure if that's just a it's writer.
Speaker 1: That's the appropriate amount of table talk, Tony, well done, daniel I got this one.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'd say the same thing.
Speaker 5: Do we have any arborius in the room. Brick and I actually learned this together in college.
Speaker 1: You got this one?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: If I do complicates it? That does make a tricky It's.
Speaker 9: Like official, I don't spend much time studying ocean.
Speaker 1: Mmm, how we doing that? End of the table.
Speaker 5: I have an answer. I show it to you if you tell.
Speaker 2: If I have to, you know, I've got I've make a couple of I had a video like band on TikTok and I was cutting a tree down. You do a lot of dangerous stuff in social media club using a saddle tree saddle like ID climbed up like ten foot up and used my tree saddle and was using the chainsaw.
Speaker 1: What would OSHA think of that?
Speaker 2: I thought I was really safe. I did it, did so, but TikTok didn't like it.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer?
Speaker 2: We were in chaps No, not safe.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Danielle saying widow maker, Jordan's saying widow maker, Tony sang widow maker, Tyler Andiannis and Mark and everybody saying widow maker. They got it right. The correct answer is widow maker. Widow Makers are responsible for eleven percent of fatal chainsaw accidents in the United States. OSHA recommends knocking them down or pulling them down before doing any chainsaw work on a tree. These hazards also kill unsuspecting hunters, hikers, and campers each year. That is an official OSHA term. If you look in their book of hazards, they call it a widow maker. I've also seen it called a fool's killer, though, but that's not what OSHA says.
Speaker 5: Good question Rick.
Speaker 1: Question five. The topic is fishing. What Lures infomercial that aired in the late nineties and early two thousands claimed it's erratic action triggered a fish's genetic response to bite. What lures infomercial? There's only one that aired in the late nineties and early two thousands claimed it's erratic action triggered a fish's genetic response to bite. That's a direct quote from the commercial. Is it triggered the fish's genetic response to bite the confident room? Yanni?
Speaker 5: Really, I don't.
Speaker 1: We have a lot of folks nodding, nodding their heads that they got it right, don't. Did you say erratic action, urantic action?
Speaker 5: It was not late.
Speaker 1: Late nineties early to different different.
Speaker 5: I'm pretty sure different actions.
Speaker 8: No, man, I've actually caught fish on it.
Speaker 2: You were quick.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I about you.
Speaker 1: I remember the commercial.
Speaker 2: But Tony's allergic to fish.
Speaker 8: Really, we employed multi That's why I just catch them to punish them a little, trying to kill me.
Speaker 1: What's been your worst experience with the fish allergy?
Speaker 8: Uh, well, when you figure out you have a fish allergy, especially when you're little, and your parents do like fish fries and you have just it's been bad and.
Speaker 1: Then they like make the French fries in the same oil.
Speaker 8: Or well no, no, they would feed me fish and I'd get sick and they would finally put two and two together, but it does not make me feel good.
Speaker 5: You and Chester should hang out.
Speaker 1: Here's the question one more time for Yanni. What lures infomercial that aired in the late nineties and early two thousands claimed it's erratic action triggered a fish's genetic response to bite. Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Danielle saying lose, Jordan's sang Flashy Spinner, Tony sang banjo Minnow, Tyler saying banjo minnow, Giannis and Mark saying banjo Minnow, Clay sang rattletrap, Seth sang husky jerk. The correct answer is banjo mino'.
Speaker 5: That's dead. I know if you have it within your follow up here, but will you explain like the form and the shape and how it worked.
Speaker 1: Well, we can talk about it afterwards. Here's the fact it. The banjo Minnow is one of the most famous ASSCN non TV products of all time. The original infomercial that was four minutes long, advertised a one hundred and ten piece banjo mino kit for nineteen ninety five. But wait, if you order right now, they'll actually double the offer and send you a second kit completely free. That's right, the two hundred and twenty piece banjo Minokit could be yours for just nineteen ninety five. Unsurprisingly, it made Kooby Brown's list of the eight worst lures ever made, which you can read at the meadeater dot com. Now the erratic action, maybe Tony can better explain it since he has fish it. I also bought it, Tony. I've never caught a fish on it. I did not like how the lure went through like or excuse me, the hook went through the eyelids. You needed a very aggressive fish to engulf that whole thing, whereas like most spinner baits, right, the hook is through the body, not the banjo meno though swim baits.
Speaker 8: I think you'd be closest too. Do you remember that they had the gliding mino or the banjo glider too.
Speaker 1: I don't remember that one.
Speaker 2: It would hit the water and it would go underneath stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's the when I finished. They had the weighted hook right, and it would cause it to go away from you. That thing caught some fit.
Speaker 2: It didn't take like, it didn't do good. We still don't have so it.
Speaker 8: Was actually just skip tons of stuff under It was.
Speaker 1: The best selling lure in America I think for like two thousand and five and two thousand and six, backs back years, and it hit five million sales I think in two thousand and seven. So folks sure bought it, and I was one of them.
Speaker 3: I realized another thing when you were sharing that factoid, that if the trivia thing ever kind of fizzles out for you, you do have the perfect voice and personality for infomercials.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Oh what's the personality bit? Tell me about that?
Speaker 5: I think we all know him. We are halfway through the game of trivia.
Speaker 10: Give us a scoreboard update in dead last place with one point, it's Clay new com.
Speaker 1: Clay.
Speaker 2: It's so sad to hear that, because you're so fun, you'll have it just going downhill, man. But I came on strong the first couple of games I played.
Speaker 10: I thought I was good, right ahead of him. We've got Seth and Jordan with two points, Tyler, Mark and Danielle have three points a piece, Giannis Putellis has four, and with a perfect game, we've got Tony Peterson.
Speaker 8: Do you know why this doesn't give me any confidence? The first time I did this, I went five for five and then I just got smoked. That was when you beat me at the first light each I only got one in the second half and I took second place.
Speaker 5: Yeah, still time.
Speaker 2: Well you know, didn't some of those Cinderella Schools and March Madness just come back and almost make it to the championship game? You know what I'm talking about, asking the person I was thinking about? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean it could be, it could be my story.
Speaker 1: Question six the topic is tramping. This is our listener question in the week, which was won by Isaiah Tolo for sending this great question. Isaiah is going to get a book signed by Steve. Name one of the four states that tramped the most beavers in twenty eighteen. Name one this private trapping or name one of the four states that tramped the most beavers in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 1: This was from data from the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies, which I believe is just tracking folks like Seth that are out tramped beavers. Again, named one of the four states that trapped the most beavers in twenty eighteen. Seth is the trappingest fellow among us. Do you think you have this one, right.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I feel like it.
Speaker 3: I feel like I do, but I'm trying to remember if Steve and I trapped beavers that year.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that would make a difference.
Speaker 5: I'd make a different Get answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm talking about Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Danielle saying Alaska, Jordan's sang Wyoming, Tony saying Alaska, Tyler saying Alaska, Jannis saang Minnesota, Mark saying Pennsylvania, Clay sang Wisconsin, Seth saying Montana. The four states are Minnesota, Wisconsin, New York, and Michigan. Hit a few folks almost right. This data is from the Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies. According to their report, Minnesota's tramped over thirty one thousand beavers in twenty eighteen. That's followed by Wisconsin, New York, and Michigan at twenty thousand, in Alabama at eighteen thousand. Some of the states that trapped the fewest beavers included California at five, Arizona at thirty five, and Delaware at eighty eight. Now there were also states at trapped zero didn't include them in this data. I think Alaska would actually be a zero. I don't know that they even have beavers up there.
Speaker 9: Oh what, surely.
Speaker 1: I will google it right now.
Speaker 2: If they don't have beavers, I just read them, he would say, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Beavers are considered to be common in abundant throughout the range in Alaska. I assume that if they were abundant up there, they would have made the list.
Speaker 2: But hey, do you know what submit here? He would say, I want to get those the guy that trapped those five beavers in California on the podcast, which is weird.
Speaker 1: It's illegal in California, So I'm guessing those five instances were like one person had a nuisance beaver that they got permission to tramp. But surely biologists there trapped more than five beavers, So I don't even know what that five would be made up of. Question seven the topic is conservation. What conservation organization merged with the Quality Deer Management Association in twenty twenty to form the National Deer Association. What conservation organization merged with the Quality Deer Management Association in twenty twenty to form the National Deer Association.
Speaker 2: I bet you got this one right, Mark, I bet I wish you would have asked it the other way because I know QDMA.
Speaker 1: Again, what Conservation Organization merged with the Quality Deer Management Association in twenty twenty to form the National Dear Association.
Speaker 3: I helped them with the merge.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's what we call about them.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that part. Clay, do you have this one right?
Speaker 2: I feel I feel fairly confident. I mean, I'm in the game. I'm in the game.
Speaker 1: But Tony as confident as Mark? Tony you got this one right?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 8: And it really bothers me. Geez, tell me, I'm having I'm getting the yips on the second half.
Speaker 3: Again, and you jinxed yourself I bringing that up?
Speaker 2: So dumb.
Speaker 3: Man disappointed?
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer? M hm, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have, Danielle, what's your answer, Danielle. Danielle sang National Deer Alliance, Jordan's sang American white Tail, Tony saying National Deer Alliance, Tyler saying National Deer Alliance, YA saying White Tail Institute, Mark saying National Dear Alliance, Clay saying Dear Alliance, Seth saying Dear Alliance. The correct answer is National Dear Alliance. I think if you said, dear Alliance, will give it to you. How many points do Seth and Clay have?
Speaker 10: Three?
Speaker 5: Now for me?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: The game?
Speaker 5: If you give it to them each?
Speaker 1: What it was.
Speaker 2: Will?
Speaker 3: I was involved in, like present, for all the conversations around the naming of all this, and there was very specific debate about like is it should it be Deer A Lions, should be National Deer Alliance, And it was very important that it was not Deer Alliance.
Speaker 1: Mark based on your authority, I think we're not going to give it to them.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 5: Here's the other part.
Speaker 1: It kind of doesn't matter you guys.
Speaker 5: Have two or three points?
Speaker 2: Is just a touchy pride, les, Do you have such a small amount of freaking MAQDMA was.
Speaker 1: Formed and the National Deer was formed in twenty fourteen. One of their big goals is combining powers was to serve all deer and deer hunters rather than solely focusing on white tails. Other areas of emphasis for the newly formed group are habitat access and disease management.
Speaker 3: I should point out I was not involved in deciding that I'll just privy.
Speaker 2: To the information.
Speaker 1: Question eight, the topic is hunting. This next great question comes to is via Ja Canson. If you have a question you think is right for Meat Eater Trivia, you can send it to trivia at the medeater dot com. Modeled after the federal duck stamp program, Masioke started selling their own stamps in twenty twenty two that benefit this game Animal. Modeled after the federal duck stamp program. Massoc started selling their own stamps in twenty twenty two that benefit this game Animal. Danielle with a very confident answer, Danielle, do you have this one right?
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 1: The whole room actually looks quite confident. Clay again showing his answer to everybody.
Speaker 5: Yess it does.
Speaker 2: All that matters. You're just gonna put yeah, there you go, There you go.
Speaker 5: Is one Withanda, just the.
Speaker 1: Does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Danielle saying turkey, Turkey, Turkey, Turkey, Turkey. Everybody said turkey. Everybody got it right. The correct answer was turkey. Massioakes twenty twenty two stamp collected twenty thousand dollars in their first twenty four hours it was available. The stamp, which was painted by Dan Morton, costs fifteen dollars. The brand has dedicated one hundred percent of proceeds to fund wild Turkey research, which doctor Mike Chamberlain will help advise. Phil, we have two questions left. Give it to scoreboard.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe hold on?
Speaker 1: What do you got?
Speaker 5: Yanni and I were the only one that said wild turkey?
Speaker 6: Fuck?
Speaker 5: Are we talking pen Ray's turkeys here? And when you read that, you said wild turkey.
Speaker 1: It's a good point. Everybody gets, that's right.
Speaker 10: Go ahead, Phil, Seth, Jordan, and Clay are eliminated with three points apiece. Tyler, Mark and Danielle all have five points. Jannis has six and in first place. Didn't jinx himself too bad? It's Tony Peters sing with seven points, right, the perfect game?
Speaker 5: Enough with the white questions, okay.
Speaker 1: Question nine, the topic is foraging Tony, how are your foraging skills horrible?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Name two of the four mushrooms included in the fool Proof four. Name two of the four mushrooms included in the fool Proof four? Who does have the forging chops in this room? Clay, you're kind of a forger.
Speaker 10: Right, Danielle.
Speaker 1: Just oh, Dan, I'm sorry, Danielle. I can't see you over here. You're not in my line of vision. How do you feel about getting this one? You are, Tony, You're you gonna mess up here. It'd be kind of cool if you did. It's a real possibility. Buddy again, name two of the four mushrooms included in the fool Proof four. Yanni, you're gonna get this one. There's a good chance, Seth, you're gonna get this one.
Speaker 5: It doesn't matter anymore.
Speaker 1: Spencer, I've upset this side of the table.
Speaker 2: You know what, if there was anybody that you wanted to lose with, it would be Seth. Look at this guy.
Speaker 5: Look I've got I've got some mushrooms on the back of my board. Everybody, take a look at him. It might give you a hit, can help you.
Speaker 1: Danielle is floundering over here, a lot of pressure, Danielle.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you really should be the one.
Speaker 4: That I know wild And there's something you said that makes it tricky that there's one that's like, oh, it's so easy to identify, but there is a species and.
Speaker 1: A lot of hints here.
Speaker 5: Dan, Yeah, I'm thinking about that. Same thing Danielle.
Speaker 2: Got into Deep goes your gut.
Speaker 1: Are you ready?
Speaker 3: There's a great podcast on Wired to Hunt where Spencer showcases this very right the.
Speaker 1: Deer Hunter's got.
Speaker 2: But it feels like Mark has the playbook for this one.
Speaker 5: Alliance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wrote the book on those mushrooms.
Speaker 5: Mark saying.
Speaker 1: No, but I've learned that Tony and Mark are bunking up together. Next time, just ask me one of you two can stay at my house.
Speaker 5: Only one of us, only one.
Speaker 7: The other one.
Speaker 1: The other one can have their own hotel de Mark for this, go ahead your answers. We have Danielle saying Chantrell and Morell, Jordan's saying Morell and White, Tony sang Hen of the Woods and Puffballs, Tyler saying Morell and Lyons Maine, Giannis saying Morell and Chantrell, Mark saying Morel's, and Chantrell's Clay saying wild Morels wild or national, Chantrell's Seth saying Morel's and Chicken of the woods. The four mushrooms are Morell's, Chantrell's, puffballs, and Chicken of the woods. Gummt Tony slipped up ah Hen of the Woods is not one of them. These four mushrooms are considered to be mushrooms that are good for beginners because they can be identified with a high level of confidence. Some of them made Hayden Sam's list of the six beginner friendly mushrooms you can find in Summer, which you can read on the meat eater dot com. Phil we have one question left. Give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 10: Well, we've got Tony and Jannis now tied up in first place with seven points. But Mark and Danielle can technically slide in if Gianniser Tony slip up.
Speaker 1: Okay, Danielle, you were right there last time. Tony, you were right there last time. See if we can go to a tiebreaker here. Question ten, the topic is wildlife. You were for Spencer agreeing for a tiebreaker, rooting for a tiebreaker foraging. I count that in the cooking category. Our first question was about cuts of elk meat. So we've had two cooking questions.
Speaker 4: Danielle, you said forging that cooking.
Speaker 2: I know possible to win here Giannis and who.
Speaker 5: And Tony and Mark and Danielle.
Speaker 1: Question ten, the topic is wildlife. This state lists the grizzly as its state mammal, even though one hasn't been documented there since the nineteen twenties. This state lists the grizzly as its state mammal, though one hasn't been documented there since the nineteen twenties.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of bummed there's not a gear question.
Speaker 1: We've had gear questions in the past. It's not one of our four pillars, but often these fall. These will fall into the gear category, like the banjo Minnow Giannis got right, Jordan did not. Though, does everybody have an answer? Go ahead and reveal your answer to confident room. We have Danielle saying California, California, California. Everybody said California. Wow, everybody got it right. Answer for most California.
Speaker 5: Questions that the whole room gets right.
Speaker 1: We've learned before in a previous stant that it happens about ten percent of the time. But I think we've had it three times.
Speaker 5: Three times today we are going to a tiebreaker. Play the drop, oh boy. But here's the thing.
Speaker 10: Steve said he didn't love the drop before, so I made a new one, kind of as a joke, hoping Steve would be here to hear it.
Speaker 5: He's not, but I'm going to play it anyone.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think just cut it at if you ain't first your laughs and then like going to other stuff.
Speaker 1: It's funny.
Speaker 2: I never liked it. A phil off Man.
Speaker 5: Very good.
Speaker 1: You know what, I trust Steve. He was right that one did sound better what you just did there. So who is in our tie breaking round we have? Is it Tony? And you're honest? Everybody can play along. Oh, now here's something that I've thought about. Somebody emailed us suggesting a new rule for tiebreakers that's sort of a one tall or one tie all tie. Here's what it is. During the tie breaking question, if somebody who is not tied for first place gets the answer right on the nose, we will declare them the winner. What do you guys think about?
Speaker 2: So the tie breaking question, Clay, sounds like a great rule.
Speaker 1: Is a numerical question. Whoever is closest to the correct answer will be declared our winner. But this new wrinkle would allow the person who is not in first place to win the game.
Speaker 5: You have to have had a good attitude.
Speaker 2: I've had a great Tony, and.
Speaker 5: This as long as anybody that decides to give an answer that aren't in the tiebreaker. Now, if I get it on the nose. I'm allowed to chop off any one of their fingers that I choose. What is this rule? I'm kidding, I'm all in.
Speaker 1: It makes it more fun to let's try it. If we all hate it at the end, we'll never do this.
Speaker 10: And I think it's important to state that this is practically impossible because you have them round to the nearest, like tenth of a decimal point. Sometimes the answers are like thousands, Like you're saying, like, well, the altitude of this mountain, and it's like, you know, one's going to get that right.
Speaker 2: Okay for some of us.
Speaker 1: So again we are down to Giannis and Tony, but everybody can play along. See if you can hit it dead nuts. Here is the tie breaking question. The topic is hunting. This tiebreaker question came to us via Nick Watkins.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know him, He's my best friend.
Speaker 1: According to a twenty twenty two paper in the Wildlife Society bulletin, how many states have Eastern wild turkeys? According to a twenty twenty two paper in the Wildlife Society bulletin, how many states have Eastern wild turkeys?
Speaker 2: Oh, Eastern turkeys.
Speaker 1: I'm very excited.
Speaker 5: It's a little more dual than sure, that's right.
Speaker 1: Sometimes the answer would be like eight hundred dollars and fifteen cents. Nobody's gonna win it. Then this one is a real possibility, Claire. Are you listing out the states for all to see?
Speaker 2: Nope, just making hashmark okay, which.
Speaker 1: Is also for all to see. His board is down on the table.
Speaker 2: I'm up to fifteen, generiously.
Speaker 1: According to a twenty twenty two paper in the Wildlife Society bulletin, how many states have Eastern wild turkeys? Tony, you are a pretty well traveled turkey hunter. How many states do you think you've killed turkeys in? Doesn't have to be easterns? How many states you killed the turkey?
Speaker 2: And maybe like ten?
Speaker 1: Come be honest? How about you?
Speaker 5: What would be your Yeah, I'm probably writing that same range.
Speaker 1: It's a good question for you too. How do you feel about your answer? I feel like I overshot it, okay, but not by a ton Yanni. What are you thinking?
Speaker 5: How am I feeling about my answer? I haven't written one down yet.
Speaker 2: Now do they have to get the closest the closest between those? But if we get it, give us like five minutes so you really count Clay.
Speaker 8: I think you need this because I don't think meat Eater's given you enough love yet. Yeah, I think it's time for you to shine a little. I'll take this from time, Clay. Let's make this guy feel special for one time.
Speaker 1: Should we go?
Speaker 2: Yeah? There we go?
Speaker 5: Yeah we go?
Speaker 1: Joanny, how we doing down there?
Speaker 5: Do you have an answer you want me to write? Does Tony have an answer? All right?
Speaker 1: I think everybody has an answer.
Speaker 5: I got an answer.
Speaker 1: Mark, do you have an answer?
Speaker 3: I'm working on still, but yeah.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 5: We have, Danielle.
Speaker 1: Let's see your answer, Okay, Danielle saying fourteen, Jordan's sang thirty one, Tyler saying thirty eight, Clay sang nineteen, Seth saying thirty seven, Mark sayg twenty seven. And our two competitors left, Giannis saying thirty seven, Evan Tony saying thirty four. I'll tell you this, somebody hit it right on the nose. Our winner is Tyler?
Speaker 7: WHOA What a game?
Speaker 1: In playing media Tria, Both games came down to the tie breaker. I'm sorry, Yanni and Tony.
Speaker 7: You guys, maybe day you're right on Tony, Yanni you said thirty Tyler knows now, he knows right now, he's thinking about how he kind of robbed me of my win.
Speaker 5: I am, he's gonna have to liver that.
Speaker 9: Men have an idea though, I want to give. I want to give you the opportunity for the donation.
Speaker 1: As a reminder, we had Giannis who said thirty seven, who was in the tiebreaker? And Tyler? How many points did Tyler even have.
Speaker 6: In this game?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 9: So did you know that I counted states and I figured I was close, but I didn't. I mean I figured I was within maybe four.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tyler, where is the five hundred dollars donation from meat Eater going to go ahead?
Speaker 5: It'll be a long time, probably since you're back here. Yeah, it'll make sure.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I did it last time, but I did.
Speaker 9: I ran a committee for Ducks Unlimited, so i'd like to uh in specific, the Sulfur Springs, Texas Ducks Unlimited branch, and.
Speaker 1: You you used to be a part of that branch, right you helped find it.
Speaker 9: So I was a committee chairman or whatever for the Emery branch was a really small branch where I live, but I worked with Sulfur springs a bunch.
Speaker 1: So well done, Tyler, Johannis, Tony, you made a good effort. But in a Meat Eater first somebody who wasn't in first place at the time breaker wins the game and maybe the only time we ever do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have a feeling of Steve. We're in the room right now. This would not.
Speaker 1: But you know what Steve is not here.
Speaker 5: It would all depend on what Steve was playing in the actual time record or not.
Speaker 1: Join us next time for more Meat Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins.