Speaker 1: An illegal alien from Guatemala charged with raping a child in Massachusetts. An MS thirteen gang member from Al Salvador accused of murdering a Texas man of Venezuelan charged with filming and selling child pornography in Michigan. These are just some of the heinous migrant criminals caught because of President Donald J. Trump's leadership. I'm Christy nom the United States Secretary of Homeland Security. Under President Trump, attempted illegal border crossings are at the lowest levels ever recorded, and over one hundred thousand illegal aliens have been arrested. If you are here illegally, your next you will be fined nearly one thousand dollars a day, imprisoned, and deported. You will never return. But if you register using our CBP home app and leave now, you could be allowed to return legally. Do what's right. Leave now. Under President Trump, America's laws, border and families will be protected.
Speaker 2: Sponsored by the United States Department of Homeland Security, EYL University is the biggest online platform for education, but it's much much more.
Speaker 3: It's actually a community. Our private Facebook group has over eight thousand members and twenty infinity groups to students teach themselves just as much as the professors do. We have weekly webinars. We have over one hundred past webinars. You get access to MG the Mortgage Guys Real Estate Blueprint. You get access to monthly financial planning calls with yours Truly. You get access to our monthly group chat investment calls, and much much more.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 3: Go to eyl university dot com right now and take advantage of our limited offer blowout sales sixty five percent off of the annual membership eyouniversity dot com right now and become an earner.
Speaker 5: My graduates from my school being forced bad drop.
Speaker 4: Drop my drop, bad drop.
Speaker 3: Shout to everybody that's been checking out the Wealth Principles, Man, everybody has been giving great feedback on so far. Everybody has thoroughly enjoyed what we have going on. John, what's going.
Speaker 6: On some boys in l A.
Speaker 3: Somebody's gotta do it.
Speaker 6: Flight work the same kriva from last time. Nah No, damn, you guys are real good. It's a good look on you. But you guys need to have you guys need to make some summer swag. Then that's a.
Speaker 7: Fact that's in the works. That chilly out here. It's still a little chilly.
Speaker 6: Out here, but it can be tank tops. Man, that's cost of entry. I need some fly.
Speaker 3: No, no, we got it.
Speaker 4: We got it.
Speaker 6: Man. You know Who's line?
Speaker 4: I like? Who?
Speaker 6: Summer line? I like, uh, honestly not. I'm a big nos fan just in general. But history, that history really smooth. It's not as popular, but it's real smooth.
Speaker 3: Shout out to nods man.
Speaker 4: I got a few history views.
Speaker 6: On Ziah Jones. All right, boys, let's get into it.
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 6: Another week, another episode of The Well Principles Thursday time diving into special topics every week. Special guests PDFs available for download. You already know how it is, man. This week we got some heat cooking. This week we are going to talk about the mandy. Can you fix my light and put it more more head on?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 6: This week we're gonna be talking about startup secrets. We made a little pivot. We made a pivot. We did a pivot. Initially, I was thinking we would talk about real estate, but I figured, man, a lot of people could talk about real estate. But based on the feedback from last week, I thought, what are some of the things that we could talk about that I feel like are unique to my experience, and so we came up with the startup Secrets. I'm gonna share my screen. Well, but before I do it, before I do it, before I do Right now, I'm in the middle of you know, I started a company. I raised venture capital. It's called Loop. And in this company, you know, when you're a startup, like Eyl, like Loop, like many startup founders out there, you have every reason why you're going to fail working against you. You have the weight of the market, you have downward pressure, you have timing. You may break up with your co founder, your team may get unmotivated and quit. You may not catch your shride in time. You may run out of money, you may have to take a job. You may split up with your girl and then have all types of shit going on. There's so many going on, but I guarantee you when Jeff Bezos split up with Mackenzie Bezos, nothing happened to Amazon. I still was able to get my packaged next day. And that's because that business hit maturity. But before you hit maturity, you have to navigate through the seemingly shark the endless, endlessly sharkish waters. That is navigating a startup. So I am very excited to share with the audience here. By the way, I announced today that I am making angel investments. I'm making angel investments, not the major but I'm throwing ten k checks out to the different founders out there who are working on some special shit. So if you hear this and you think you got what it takes or whatever the fact may whatever the case may be, hit me up. I might be an angel investor in your company.
Speaker 3: Might be.
Speaker 6: I made two investments over the last few days.
Speaker 7: Boys, backups.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, let's not. Let's not breeze over that real quick for anybody on YouTube. So you are, you're getting back into angel investing world, and you have allocated ten thousand dollars for different businesses that you will personally be invested in.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, ten thousand dollars a pop. I hope to make maybe five seven angel investments this year. And yeah, I guess the difference between what I was doing before was I was a venture capitalist, so I was investing in other people's money professionally. Now I made a little bit of my own cash, and I'm going to be put on my own cash in these companies Now, look, tenk K is not going to make it rain for any startup. However, you are also going to get a little bit of chops that I do have some of my knowledge, some of my marketing chops, and I am going to put that to work. So that tenk K is probably more like one hundred k investment and could potentially help some of you founders out there. So get at me.
Speaker 8: How did they get in contact with you if they got a business that potentially you know they want you to take a look at.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, the best way is the Loop waitlist. So head over to loopinshare dot com, slash eyl loop and shirt dot coat slash you well and joining the Loop wait list. But secondly, you can hit me on on Honestly, you can hit me at but maybe I shouldn't have to make an email called pitch JH. Pitch j I'm gonna buy PITCHJH dot com and then you'll be able to hit me. But in the meanwhile you could just hit me direct man Jhi co found Harlem dot com. Jhi co found Harlem dot com And yeah, man, the the the people have been hitting me all day and I wanted to open the show with that. So let me, let me let's get into some concepts. We've been popularizing the word framework. Let's get some framework action. This is the well principles, and we are on episode three of four, three of four. This is it, seventy five percent of the way through the series. Get it here why you can otherwise and these nuggets may not be around for you. But today, if you go to lupa sher dot co slash ey l, you can download this framework and use it at your leisure, right, So okay, cool man. So look, there's a few lessons here. Riches in this which is riches in niches. This is by far the most prevalent theme that we'll be discussing. I'm going to keep this particular presentation on the shorter side because we have my boy, none other than song Lo Wrong, who's going to be chopping up with us. By the way, his company Squires were two hundred and fifty million dollars. I know because it was reported on tech crunch. You ra ay seventy eighty ninety million dollars something crazy like that. It is now the de facto barbershop booking platform that's out there. And I know I know my shit. I'm not gonna hold you. I know my shit. But Song knows his fucking shit like brouh. You guys know me because I talk a lot. Song don't talk. He just does. And I'm excited to learn from him. Now. Look, I've been talking about this all season long with like over love, man, But some of you guys, some of you guys out there are do you can't resist the temptation. You're thirsty. You're thirsty for likes, you're thirsty for shares, your thirty, you're just thirsty in general. Man. And when you're thirsty and you don't resist the temptation to grow quickly for growing quickly's sake, then you build luke warm products, experiences, and services. And that is a losing strategy that will get you all the way to bankruptcy. So now how do we how do we keep competitors at Bay? You got to build a.
Speaker 3: Moat all right?
Speaker 6: Now, this is something that's often discussed, but we're going to break down also what a moat is specifically, because I hear a lot of people say the frame, the phrase, but they don't really talk about it. Okay, So now let's explore what most people try to do in my experience that I've potentially I definitely have made this mistake before. I'm potentially remaking the mistake, but to a lesser extent, and that is most startups try to boil the ocean. Okay, you try to boil the ocean. The market is a lot bigger than you ideally. If you're going for it for two to two niche of a market, then it's a no go. But for the most part, any market out there, the total addressable market is going to be much much, much bigger than you can afford to take on. You don't have enough dollars, you don't have enough resources, you don't have enough time, enough people, enough talent, human talent that is to come at it. And so when you try to boil the ocean, you're gonna dilute your your proposition, and your resources to no end. You are not going to heat up the ocean even one degree. So instead, what I like to do is head into the market and find a segment of the market that is more comparably sized to the size of your startup. Right, So, for example, to put it into context, eyl Media is a large, large, large business and the vision is to take the world by storm. However, you first focused on a very urban audience, and you do that and you're delivered. Whether or not it was you know, of course it was intentional. But there are so many things that came about as a result of authenticity. For example, the guests that you would attract on the platform and so on, you know from Wall Street Trappa, man is the trap, you know, you know, like all all the guests, all the brand, the swag, the collective ethos that is E Y L. You you went and found a segment of the market that leads to this right here, This is where you want to be when you're a startup. Okay, you had the minimum viable product right which which has been discussed often, but what is discussed less often is the minimum viable audience. And then the space and that overlap in the middle is much much small. All they're easier to cover territory.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: So, for example, Loop is an insurance. If we try to tackle all of private passenger auto, that's a two hundred and fifty six billion dollar a year market. Man, we only raise a few million dollars. Progressive spends that in a day, probably more than that so we would never win if we were going toe to toe. However, what we did do is find a very very specific audience within the large field that is insurance, and what we're doing is resonating real, real, real, real, real deeply with them. And it seems like we're covered, we're making grounds, we're making our way, and our dollar can stretch a lot further here in this particular arrangement, this graphic is a this shout out to y Combinator song from Squire is a y Combinator alum that is the world's most successful startup accelera They created Airbnb, Dropbox, not created, but funded, and one of them is Squire. But this I learned from them, and that is this is fascinating. Here on the left hand side of this graph, this is the amount of that people like you. The light blue is like the red is love. So here's here's the fascinating thing. You start out here in the middle with no one liking or loving you. Now here's the thing. A lot of people that scale a lukewarm brand, service product podcast where people only kind of.
Speaker 3: Sort of fuck with you.
Speaker 6: It's misleading because when a lot of people like you, you think, oh well, all I gotta do is convert them to love me. But you're actually much much further away. Like and love move in the opposite directions. So when you get a lot of people with a like you, that lukewarmness, you now have a lot more masks that you have to heat up to convert it into a deep, deep, deep, deep deep affinity. So when you're a startup, you're actually much much better off focusing on a small amount of people, users, listeners that really fuck with your shit heavy, and then you can ensure that you grow in the right direction. And this here is what I believe is the perfect startup storm. Now, we talked a lot about a moat earlier. We mentioned a little bit about a moat emote being something that can keep your competitors at bay. But people say that, but then they never say what the fuck it is? But what is it? And so then people have like they talk about IP a lot of patents, but patents are I personally believe patents are to a large degree bullshit. People say, oh, you need some IP, I guess, but I was going to invest in a startup that needed the needed IP. But guess what, you know what large companies do is they They will surround your patent with a portfolio of patents. Patents are very expensive to make, and they'll fucking bury you in legal costs and outdo your competitive edge. So patents are hardly ever the answer. The answer more commonly is technology. But that's only one part of the the equation. A novel segment and a unique business model. All three of these, or two of these, or just one. Sometimes it is enough to be a disruptor. And so for example, a great a great example is, in my opinion, is zip Car. Zip Car, you know, didn't really innovate on a whole lot, but the business model, so they you know, you were able to subscribe to a monthly you know, arrangement with them, and and and that was enough for Loop. We have unique technology. We do not have a unique business model. We have unique technology, and we're servicing a very particular segment. So that's been enough for us. So for anyone watching listening, we'll watch, will listen. Consider these three elements here, these are the buckets within which you can innovate. So you do not need all three. You do not need all three, but having one or two work in your favor gives you a reason to have the market, you know, have it work in your favor a little bit, because it's hard to break through. So a lot of depth there, and I walked through the quickly. These are available for download as usual at loopinsure dot Co slash eyl. But look those that's the frameworks, man, that's the frameworks that those are the things that I have thought about consistently over the last ten years, easy as I built my my respective businesses. I see a number of you guys raising your hands. I'm happy to take questions. Although first I definitely want to chop with my brother's song wrong, someone asked, Loop Eyl. Yes, oh uh, not looping. Well, we'll get to that. Well, we're gonna link it up. We're gonna link it up, link it up in the in the YouTube. But first you got my boys song What's good?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 6: How you on the wrong?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: Was great?
Speaker 7: A living legend.
Speaker 3: What's going on brother?
Speaker 4: Watching man? How are you feeling everything?
Speaker 9: Good?
Speaker 4: Bro?
Speaker 6: I like that new squire swag. Did you guys do a brand refresh or is that just like a limited.
Speaker 4: Day we got some new merhout shop like last month? I can I can get you on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, send me one for real, real real. Also shout out Debut Capital, whom as a mutual investor in US, I just invested in their fund at today.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: And so that maybe the fact that makes me an investor of Squire. We'll see it does work out.
Speaker 7: It's not always working.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: So, EYL community, I'm really pleased to bring Song in uh into the EYL orbit Song. If you don't know these brothers man Rashot and Troy co founders at Earn Your Leisure building something real, real, real, real special. Two cats came out of fucking nowhere and somehow be Dave Rancy, Tim Ferris and all these other whack motherfuckers who have ripped and we got to bring charge.
Speaker 10: Bro.
Speaker 6: I'm stopped everywhere constantly for being on the Earner Leasure Show like real talk so so so it's great to make the introduction, and I would love for Song to jump on the Earn Your Leasure Show proper. I think that having an in depth discussion would be really, really, really rich for the community. Now, just as a cliff no intro to song and Song and I've been connected for a minute in the streets of Hulla, we were bumping to each other so many times at random different cafes and shit. And he was working on the early early days of Squire, and at that time I was working at Kofund Harlem. Squire is a platform, I'll put I let you put in your own word song, but as best I understand it, you know, it's a platform that at this point has grown to be the end to end solutions that barbers need to power their barber shops. But talk about those frameworks. You might've glossed over them, but I was talking about, you know, the MVP meets minimum Bible audience. Squire started at first as a scheduling tool and then eventually rolled out additional micro services. Once they got their foot in the market, rolled out additional micro services, and now it's capturing the full value chain in the barber in the barbershop industry. And man, you've Squire has broken out. It was a tough fight. It was a tough battle.
Speaker 3: Saw.
Speaker 6: I'm sure it seemed many times like I don't know if it was gonna shake out in your way or whatever. You know, I'm in my head sometimes about the shit too with Loop. But you know, in the last year, you definitely have broken through tech Crunch reported, you guys have soared to a two hundred and fifty million dollar valuation. I hate to focus on evaluation or dollars raise. I actually love to focus more on the fact that your product is used. People use your shit. I'm here in Austin. I went to go book my barber and he was like, yeah you Squire, Like that's it. You have become the ubiquitous. Like you broke through, you cross the chasm.
Speaker 8: So John, the crazy part is that when when you sent the information, I didn't realize it. But I've been using Squire for the past two to three years to schedule my son's barbershop.
Speaker 7: Well, I want to thank you because what you have done is saved us a.
Speaker 8: Lot of time of sitting in the barbershop waiting for hours for appointments that people walk in and say, I was there before you, So I appreciate you.
Speaker 6: Yo, let's zoom in for a moment the people could go and find all the info on like the early early days of you know, Squire, But let's zoom into a moment on the days maybe that it was actually that maybe it might have been hardest because now you're you know, the you've hit escape velocity and you have the market dynamics working in your favor, I might say, but I'm curious, when was the time that it was most difficult for Squire and you know, just kind of double click on into that, zoom into that, and walk us through, like what the what were some of the challenges that could have been existential to the success of the business, And what were some of the things that you felt you did well that that you maybe others didn't.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, I mean, like you said, it's it's it is hard. It's hard building companies, and even at this level that we're right now, it's still difficult, but it's just different problems. But earlier on those problems, you know, they were existential, you know, like if we didn't figure out how to raise money in a certain time period, you know, there's that risk of running out of money, or if we didn't figure out, you know, how to find somebody that could actually build the product for us. So both my co founder or not, neither one of us our programmers are technical. So when you're when you're early on, you don't have the money to pay for, you know, a good engineer to work for you. So it can be really hard just getting started and actually getting your idea out into the real world to start trying it and testing.
Speaker 4: And selling it.
Speaker 11: So those were some of like the really you know, the really tough times, I'll say, like the first the first year. You know, it took us almost a year to just get an empty f out, you know, that minimum viable product that actually we could have people start testing and using. You know, we went through about three, uh, you know, engineers that we tried to work with and didn't work out, and you know, it took months for us to figure out that, Wow, you know, we should have had something that we could actually see and play with as we build it. We thought, okay, you're just gonna send me the app when it's ready, like when it's finished, send it to me, and I'll start selling it. But that's not how pod development works. So you know, we learned that the hard way. But there were many, many, many challenging, challenging times in the early days, for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And and what what were something So when when the MVP was when you finally they learned that lesson and got it out there. I'm sure there's a lot of people listening and me myself, I'm in this phase now where I'm like, I'm trying to get people to use the damn thing. What were some of the things that you guys did in those early days to get people to use squad?
Speaker 11: Those days, those days were fun yc calls that doing things that don't scale. And in the early days it should really be the founders doing as much as humanly possible to get to know their customers to get people to try to test it. So we were literally walking to barbershops, you know, spend the whole day in the barbershop talking to customers, talking to barbers. And this is in New York and New Yorkers are known most friendly, you know people.
Speaker 4: So sometimes were walking in the barber were like, yo, what fuck? What do you want? Like you're getting a haircut and not sound like what's good?
Speaker 11: We have to like we were like, I'll book a haircut or a beer trip or something like just to get his seat to talk for fifteen minutes, so half an hour, like I'll pay for your time.
Speaker 4: And it was, it was.
Speaker 11: It was tough, but fortunately eventually we were able to get some people that were interested in trying it and using the app.
Speaker 4: And on the consumer side. Right now, we're much more of a B to B company.
Speaker 11: We focus on selling to barbershops. We don't really focus on building a consumer brand. Maybe in the future will do that, but right now everything is super focused on driving more new barbershops and barbers to the platform. But at first we didn't know that, so we were trying to do like this kind of consumer marketing thing and trying to get barbers at the same time, and we were just all over the place. And consumer marketing, as you probably know this, I'm sure it's shit is hard. We have a big budgets. Unfortunately, you're great, you know, you're really great at marketing, so you'll be able to do it.
Speaker 4: But like we didn't.
Speaker 11: We didn't have, you know, that kind of platform to get the word out to the masses. So we used to do just random In New York City, I don't know if you remember, we used to do like a chalk signs on the sidewalk Downholtst.
Speaker 4: Wire app It was actually pretty good, like it was free marketing.
Speaker 11: We would do it all over the city and people would be like, yeah, I heard about I saw that Union Square.
Speaker 4: So you know, whatever you can think of you have to be creative in the early day.
Speaker 7: How did you know? How did you know? How?
Speaker 12: Like when was that moment that you learned like, Yo, okay, we're going to cut our losses on the consumer thing and focus on like ongoing barbershop because that sounds like a pivotal decision in a Squire trajectory.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Well, a good thing about being early safe is that you can get so much information so fast and iterate based on the data that you're getting. And it was very clear that these individual barbers and consumers was not fucking with our app.
Speaker 4: Frank like, we just weren't getting usage.
Speaker 11: You know, they would they would downloaded and just not use it because they didn't need it to run their business.
Speaker 4: And when we were talking to the owners, the owners would.
Speaker 11: Be like, yeah, the app look's cool, but is it going to integrate with my point of sale system?
Speaker 4: Can I track inventory on here? Can I pay out? I've got six barbers to work for my shop? Like are they going to use it?
Speaker 11: So we were like, wow, you know, we need to build something that the owner can use for everything, to manage everything.
Speaker 4: And it was pretty clear.
Speaker 11: Like based on the feedback from from our customers like that's what the market really was needing and would respond well to. Uh So we actually ran a barbershop around that same time. One of our customers was going to close the shop down down to Chelsea Market downtown, and we actually took it over for about eight months and put ourselves in the shoes of our customers because since we couldn't get anybody else to use it, we use it. We use it ourselves as shop owners. And during that time we were like running the shop and also building building the platform, kind of like the B two.
Speaker 7: Of square Sean.
Speaker 8: The beginning stage. Where did the innovation come from? Was there a series of experiences that you've been through at you know, going into barbershops and saying this is always time like what sparked the innovation?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was exactly that.
Speaker 7: It was.
Speaker 11: It was solving my own pain points that I think are very universal that I experienced my co found experience, like like most people, you know, I started going to the barbershop six or seven if my dad as a kid, and here it was two decades later and it hadn't changed.
Speaker 4: It was the one.
Speaker 11: Area of life that innovation and technology was just totally overlooking and it didn't make sense.
Speaker 4: To me that you have to just walk in and wait for an unknown amount of time every couple.
Speaker 11: Of weeks to get a haircut, that these shops didn't take cats, that didn't take card, I had to pay cash or go.
Speaker 4: To the ATM and pay that ATM fee.
Speaker 11: So there was just all these little, you know, minor annoyances that just seemed like they should be able to be improved with technology. And that was the impetus was just like solving our own problem.
Speaker 3: At what point did you scale to the point where you started to take outside money for people that starting businesses? And you know, at what point did you think you needed it? And when did you realize, Okay, this is this is how we're going to go about doing that.
Speaker 11: Yeah. So I we needed it very early on in order to be able to build a product and to kind of get that initial attraction.
Speaker 4: But it was it was difficult.
Speaker 11: Yeah, at first I quit my job to work on Squire, as did my co founder, and it was about a good eight months to a year after that before we actually were able to raise some money, which you know, going eight months with no paycheck just real really quickly, and the personal you know, financial risk. You know, you start to really feel it as your bank account is going down every month and you're not getting anything.
Speaker 4: In so many of us.
Speaker 11: Meaning like black people, you know, people of color, we generally don't have the wealth position in our families to kind of go to the rich uncle for friends and family around to get a few hundred thousand dollars. So we weren't in that position. But fortunately, being in New York being professionals, we knew some people from like finance, you know, tech, mostly black professionals who did believe in us and who kind of like gave us those early angel checks that enabled us to get the next level so we could raise a bigger amount later on.
Speaker 7: What's that process like.
Speaker 8: Ahead, Yeah, what's the process like of creating how much your company is going to need as far as series rounds of funding? Like what do you how do you think the evaluation in the early stages because you're just starting.
Speaker 11: Yeah, in the early stages, it's very it's much more art and science.
Speaker 4: It's it's a balance of.
Speaker 11: You know, coming over with terms that are that are reasonable and kind of kind of fair. Like everybody knows that there's not a lot of data to really come up with a precise valuation very early on, so the investors are really just placing a bed on the founders and the vision and then they'll be able to execute on it. So from when we got that initial check, which I think was like twenty fifteen ish till now, evaluations have skyrocketed. So like what was normal then for like our first money in, you know, precede round. Now you know it's like probably three or four x that John would know better than me. But you know, at the time, when you don't have a lot of options, you take whatever you can get. So it was kind of the terms that people would agree on and you just kind of take it and move on and just get back to business.
Speaker 4: Yo.
Speaker 6: What's fascinating to me is the problem that you chose. It's like it's a common problem, which means it's an enormous problem. But you must have faced undoubtedly and probably to a lesser extent now, but maybe you even face this qualm at the A round, which is like, yo, it's a big market, you know, like it's a me too business, like everyone could do it, you know, blah blah blah. And I think that similar thing could be said of like the industry that I'm in insurance, in beauty, in cosmetics and e comm So you happen to pick a business or or the business pick you, whichever way. But you were in a space where it was it was law charge, there was no clear winner. So I guess you had that to your advantage. But what were some of the ways that you were able to verbalize to those initial initial believers that you needed to get on board to survive about like why you felt like you could you could do this?
Speaker 11: Yeah, earlier on the Marcus host question was was something that we had to grapple with, and I think more than anything, it was a factor of one this blind spots form vcs, Like a lot of these guys are like.
Speaker 4: You know, sixty year old, fifty year old super.
Speaker 11: Wealthy dudes, Like they probably don't go to They probably go to some highend salon or something like. They weren't very familiar with barbershop, with the barbershop culture and community and how important it is. So just convincing them that look, this is actually like a big opportunity getting past the bias that some people would have. Not everybody, but a lot of people would assume oh, this is black barbershop business, since my co found and I are both black, so we would have to be really proactive saying without saying it. Then, look, this is for a general audience, like this is for all types of barbershops, which is annoying that it's just you know, it's just reality that you face. And another thing is just because it is an underserved market. There's not a lot of publicly available data out there on the number of barbershops in the US. So if you like Google search it, you'll see like some department and labor number that will say something stupid like there's eight thousand barbershops in the US. So like lazy investors would just like Google and see that, and they'd be like, well, here they say eight thousand barbershops, So how do you think this time is I'm like, there's one hundred and fifty million men I know that voice, Yeah, one hundred and fifty million men in this country. At least you think that eight thousand barbershops, like really like it's just not as nonsensical. So we would have to really like do our homework to say, look, you know, we scraped all of your's data and you know, we can show that there's at least two hundred thousand conservatively, and then if there's two hundred thousand, shops can make this much per shot life. Here's how you show, you know, one hundred million plus revenue, you know, business, and you have to really break it down kind of spoon feed man sometimes to get past their vices.
Speaker 3: Let me let me, let me ask you this, because I've heard someone the other day, somebodyself out said it. But there was like a lot of startups, you know, in the A round, that's when they're most vulnerable because they need the money the most and they don't have any real leverage. So you know, the angel investors in the vcs will come and they'll get you know, bad terms, so they'll get like seventy percent of the company for a couple hundred thousand, and then by the time they get to the later rounds, they've diluted their share so much and it really hurts them because they took so much money. They took a little bit of money at the beginning, but now the company is worth a million times more. But they're screwed. So what's your what's your what's your perspective on that?
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think regardless of the round of this, the founders that do advantage if they don't have competition amongst the investors.
Speaker 4: So whether it's the A round or the.
Speaker 11: C round, if you need money to fund a company and you're not profitable, which most startups aren't, and you don't have competing interest amongst investors, then that investor has a leverage. They can say, look, here's the terms, take it to leave it, and this is what I'm going to do. But if you if you have at least more than one interested investor, automatically evaluations is going to go up significantly because now they're in competition with each other and they both want to win the deal. I mean, it's basic market market dynamics, like you know, supplying demand, Like the more the demand there is for your share is the higher the value it's going to be. But the way I look at dilution though, is that it's really it's if you're going the VC you know, funded route, you know, trying to create a gross scale company, like you're going to get diluted. But the bigger way to look at is like what is the total pod you're having a slice of, Like you know, if you only own, you know, ten percent or eight percent, you know, of a five billion dollar company, Like you're still very rich and wealthy, you know, versus you can own one hundred percent or ninety percent of a small business and not have as much wealth relative to you know, a bigger company.
Speaker 4: So you know that, That's how I look at it.
Speaker 11: But the main thing that you want to do is get multiple investors interested.
Speaker 4: That's the best way to not get to looted.
Speaker 8: So can can you take me through the range of emotions that you've had over the past year, especially here in New York barbershops were closed and so that hurts the business. But knowing that you have a product that can thrive in that type of environment because you have contactless payments, right, you have scheduled appointments which allows people the flow of people in and out to be minimized so that it can meet restrictions.
Speaker 7: What are your range of emotions over the past twelve must Man?
Speaker 4: Yeah, twenty twenty was wild.
Speaker 11: It was a wild year like nothing I've ever seen or predicted.
Speaker 4: Yo.
Speaker 6: Also, one thing real quick is song We when we hosted so we did a Cadillac, We did a dinner for Cadillac called the Driven Ones twenty nineteen at the close of the year, and Song was invited and there was a moment we was having conversation and Song. I don't know if you look back on that, but I do sometimes, and I think, Yo, that was at the close of the decade, and I remember at one point we was all like, yo, twenty twenty.
Speaker 7: Cheers and everyone was just toasting.
Speaker 6: It was, you know, the market was just just kept going up. It was so frothy. There was just so much money around and even at that point, Song, you had just announced your eight million dollar series a round and so you know, of course the market had all different types of things in store for you all. But I wanted to slip that in there for the listeners for contexts, like, you know, twenty nineteen was a hell a fucking year and we thought that, you know, twenty twenty that would continue. But I think to Troy's point, your business had all different kinds of interesting dynamics play out in twenty twenty. So yeah, we'd love to hear it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And at that dinner, I don't know if I told you before, but like I was already raising to be you know, it wasn't public, but we were raising to be at that time, and you know, we had competitive term sheets and the whole thing was in danger of collapsing. Like I was so stressed. You know, you know how deals goways go, they're always in danger, and like it looked like it wasn't going to happen, and it was like very significant. So I was like, man, I said, I was going to go to this dinner, so I gotta go.
Speaker 4: But in terms, I was stressed that night.
Speaker 11: But it ended up working out, and we were fortunate because we closed on the be the second close, like in March twenty twenty, right before, so so when all the barbershops shut down, we had you know, forty to fifty whatever the amount, we had a lot of money on the balance sheet. So that relieved the stress because we weren't going to be in danger of like running out of going out of business, but also allowed us to focus on how can we help our customers to your point, like, you know, our platform really has been preaching a lot of these things, but the pandemic was an accelerator and forced a lot of businesses to kind of level up and embrace technology.
Speaker 4: So twenty twenty was crazy.
Speaker 11: I mean it was very scary, very uncertain in March April.
Speaker 4: But when the.
Speaker 11: Shops started reopening in like May, June, going into the summer, we started doing more numbers than ever, which was like unexpected, and that propelled us.
Speaker 8: This episode is brought to you by P and C Bank. A lot of people think podcasts about work are boring, and sure they definitely can be, but understanding a professionals routine shows us how they achieved their success little by little, day after day. It's like banking with P and C Bank. It might seem boring to save, plan and make calculated decisions with your bank, but keeping your money boring is what helps you live or more happily fulfilled life. P and C Bank Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five. Brilliantly Boring since eighteen sixty five is a service mark of the PNC Financial Service Group, Inc. P and C Bank National Association member FDIC.
Speaker 11: Erners.
Speaker 7: What's up?
Speaker 8: You ever walk into a small business and everything just works like the checkout is fast, the receipts are digital, tipping is a breeze, and you're out the door before the line even builds odds are they're using Square. We love supporting businesses that run on Square because it just feels seamless. Whether it's a local coffee shop, a vendor at a pop up market, or even one of our merch partners, Square makes it easy for them to take payments, manage inventory, and run their business with confidence, all from one simple system. If you're a business owner or even just thinking about launching something soon, Square is hands down one of the best tools out there to help you start, run, and grow. It's not just about payments, it's about giving you time back so you can focus on what matters most ready. To see how Square can transform your business, visit Square dot com backslash go backslash eyl to learn more that Square dot com backslash, go backslash eyl. Don't wait, don't hesitate. Let's Square handle the back end so you can keep pushing your vision forward.
Speaker 13: Weight loss solutions are not one size fits all. Hers makes it simpler to get started and stick with a weight loss plan backed by expert guided online care that puts your weight loss goals first. These include oral medication kits or compounded GLP one injections through HERS Pricing for oral medication kits start at just sixty nine dollars a month for a ten month plan when paid in full up front, no hidden fees, no membership fees. You shouldn't have to go out of your way to feel like yourself. Hers brings expert care straight to you with one hundred percent online access to personalized treatment plans that put your goals first. Reach your weight loss goals with help through Hers. Get started at for hers dot com. Slash for you to access affordable doctor trusted weight loss plans. That's for hers dot com. Slash for you, f O r h E ers dot com slash for you paid for by HIMS and Hers Health Weight Loss by Hers. It's not available everywhere. Compounded products are not FDA approved or verified for safety, effectiveness or quality. Prescription required restrictions at for hers dot com.
Speaker 11: Apply Dave, what's the kind of the momentum to then raise the c later in the fall of that year. So all in all, I mean it was probably our best year just in terms of growth and revenue, and you know, we went from about thirty employees to one hundred.
Speaker 8: In point that is during this time is this is where you're becoming more innovative with the micro services.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean we it was always our vision to expand on our offering and build what I call like the Squire ecosystem, and you know, to do pretty much everything that these businesses need. But the pandemic forced us to think of other things that we wouldn't have otherwise thought of to help them while they were closed down and as.
Speaker 4: They were as they were reopening.
Speaker 11: But yeah, we did launch a few of like uh you know, the these these types of businesses during that time. One of them, for example, is the Squire Supply, which enabled the barbershop owners to like buy everything they need to run their business, like the alcohol the next trips. We were included like ppe so they could buy like the masks and you know, uh disinfecting all that stuff on our system and get a direct ship right to their shop so they don't have to physically go to the beauty supplies Stir or wherever to pick it up. So those kind of futures and things we rolled out like in the midst of all this chaos.
Speaker 6: So how did you how'd you execute that?
Speaker 4: Was that?
Speaker 6: Like did you buy did you find like a common denominator of goods that were needed at scale, Uh, ship them to a facility and ship them out or did you use a vendor partner in a marginal way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that's the first raise that originally we're thinking of.
Speaker 11: And then we were like, you know what, we don't want to be holding all this inventory and you know, taking on that risk, So we partner with like one of the biggest distributors, and then we do we do like a reps split, but our customer only is interfacing with Square, so everything that they do, they're for filling on the back end, and then we have access to every sku imaginable that they would need.
Speaker 6: So you pretty much like you did a loss Leader, where it was like the scheduling to build your brain in the industry and the space, and then you you kept kind of introducing more and more services and now you're you're at the place where you know, where we kind of all want to be as a business, where it's like it's the platform play. Now people go to Square for anything and you can kind of introduce additional services as needed and just continue growing the business. That's just that's hot, bro, Like that's why we get into the ship for but like, damn hat's up.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 11: Hey, look, we've got a long way to go, but that's the vision. That's what we're trying to execute on. But we have so much room to grow, man, and so many more barbershops to get it on squire. But yeah, that's that's that's the vision.
Speaker 4: O heah.
Speaker 3: So let me ask you this because I know we don't want to harp on the numbers, but it's not every day that we get to speak to somebody that is companies valued at two hundred and fifty million dollars And I think that that's an inspiring story for anybody that's listening. But more so than being inspiring, we have to provide information. So how does that how do you how do they determine that level of like, Okay, this is what your company is valued at. I know John has spoken about that, so maybe he wants to add it too as far as like valuations for companies. But we hear these numbers all the time and this companies value that, this company's value at this what is what does that mean? And how do they actually determine that?
Speaker 11: Yeah, John is as an investor probably speak more from like investors perspective perspective.
Speaker 4: But.
Speaker 11: At this at this stage, what they're doing is they're they're they're looking at the company's dynamics, the uni economics, and they're looking at the revenue and like the growth, like how fast you're growing, and they're applying a multiple on that because what they're trying to do is project how big this company can get and what it could potentially like I po for and what kind of you know, returns they can get. So if you can show a plain and clear story like this is where we are now, this is how we're going to get to you know, a billion plus you know valuation, and it makes sense because the numbers are defending it, then investors are okay giving you multiples that are like, uh, you know, software type multiples, meaning that this is bigger than you would get if you were just like.
Speaker 4: A regular brick brick and mortar business.
Speaker 11: The way they value is companies is very much like projecting future earnings and future growth. So that's that's kind of I know, that's that's the kind of vague answer, but that's really what it's based on. It's still not one hundred percent sign aiences of the art and a science, but from my perspective, they look at like how much revenue you're doing, how fast you're growing, and they compare you to other companies in your industry or in your space, and they look at what they've done, and then they base evaluation on that.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's John, What do you think I mean?
Speaker 6: You said eloquently, man, I think I think that's exactly right. And I think that from One of the things that has surprised me is really how much of it comes down to storytelling. And I know you've used that word a number of times, something that we think a lot about in the venture industry. But people I believe mistakenly over index on the metrics. But you can never have enough sales growth or any hard metric for any VC. And I bet you you can take let's say we could live in a world we can clone a situation. Let's take the same exact business with the same exact metrics, the same everything, and then put two founders with the same business to go and sell it, and you will have different valuation results based on who told the story the most confidently, but also who told the grander story. And in VC, there's a paradix that I've noticed that has adversely affected our communities as a whole, and that is that you know, going smaller is safer because it's more familiar, but going bigger works better in venture because it's harder. And there's something about a bigger vision that is grant. It just puts that it puts, It gives you that face, it makes it go oh, you know, and it makes other people say, yo, dam this shit could work potentially, And if you think big enough and it's the vision is just crazy enough, then it just might work. So this is really a game where it's a home run theory, you know, and you go into it for you know, to to slam it out of the park. Man. So that's that's kind of so I agree with you, man, and I guess I want to say offishly ask you know. Of course a lot of the audience will be in the earlier stages, but man, there's a lot of talk on early stage shit like I'm curious, like, you know, before we get to audience questions like what's what type of shit that you're thinking through now? Like you know, there's probably mad decisions that like today Thursday, April twenty second, twenty twenty one is mad shit that you're thinking, working through put me in in your shoes for today, and all the types stuff you think too.
Speaker 11: Yeah, man, I mean what I love about this game is that you're constantly having to like level up. And the company that you're running when you're one to ten employees is like fundamentally a different company than ten to twenty, you know, fifty to one hundred, one hundred fifty like where we are now. So like, if you're going to be successful, you have to you have to be learning, you have to be I have a very like what I call like a flexible mind. Like you can't be rigid in your thinking, because the ship that you learned that worked, you know six you know, a year ago, it stops working, you know, So you have to you have to be thinking of like how can I almost like reinvent reinvent myself to continue running this company successfully. So it's a challenge, but it's also keeps it interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I've been working on Square longer than I've done anything else now six years professionally. But it never gets at least it hasn't gotten stale because it's so dynamic. But to answer your question, now, at this level, it's it's very much about like recruiting executives, you know, keeping them motivated, inspiring them, setting out the vision of the company. There's issues that you have to think of that just weren't on my radar, Like how important like people is and hr like that's that's not something that you think.
Speaker 4: About earlier on.
Speaker 11: I didn't, but you see how important it is and how important the culture is. So those are the kind of things that that you know are on my mind now. It's it's different when you haven't met personally majority of employees that work for your company, not because there's so many now, but also because they're hired in the pandemic, right and we've all been working remotely. So it's like thinking about ways to kind of solve of that and to keep the culture and to keep a sense of community amongst everybody working a squire. It's yeah, there's a lot, a lot of challenges, but it's exciting.
Speaker 4: Yea.
Speaker 6: So how do you run teams? Right? Because like at this point at Loop the teams are small enough that you know, I could pretty much have my hands on in in a lot of the product teams, but like at this point, there's no way you're interfacing with with all the you know, employees, so like do you kind of have like a suite of like captains around you that and then you trust that they're da da da da. But do you ever start thinking, like, yo, fuck, someone's slack. You know, someone's not doing their ship somewhere down the line or like you know, it would give me nerves and like not be as involved.
Speaker 11: Pretty much kind of give up that level of control at some point. And you have your executive team, so those are usually like your direct reports, and then they each have you know, they're people that report to them, and it's very like hierarchical, which we never work. We're always very flat. But like you almost can't. It's impossible to scale to this level like without having some kind of systems in hierarchy, uh in place. But I think it's okay to still get your hands dirty, but you got you have to optimize for like what you're actually really the best at.
Speaker 4: Like like I've heard that that.
Speaker 11: Uh you know, I must like still like working like design, like like for for like you know, his products and space an incredible designer and engineer, so like that that makes sense, but like you can't do that for every group, like you have. Maybe there's like one or two areas that you're still like down to, like get get your hands dirty in, but it's not plausible.
Speaker 6: The last question I have for you real quick. Sorry, so well, so a lot of people know me, but that's because I'm just talking all the fucking time, right, But it creates this false perception that in order to be a startup CEO that you have to over index on the media and be on all the panels and things like that. So to me is very fascinating because it's almost more rooted in pure skill and execution when you're not out there. So what's your thoughts around Like, you haven't been a more private CEO, but you've hit you know, scale, So what's your your thoughts on that? And tips for people that don't see themselves as inherently extroverted or whatever.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean my thoughts are you should you only have so many hours in the day, right, so you should optimize your time on doing things that are going to move the need of the most for your company, and that very very may well be media and that stuff. You know, if that's the nature you know your business, if you're creating a consumer brand, like you are like the return on your time is there. A lot of people do it for the wrong reason. They do it for the ego and like to feel successful. But my thoughts is always like if you build a big company, and you build and and you build a successful company, like you can always be famous later, like if you're rich enough, especially if you're black, like there's so few of us, like you can always you can always play that card if that's important to you.
Speaker 4: But for me, it's like not.
Speaker 11: Not not really point that I don't mind doing it, Like people asking me to speak on things, and generally you know, you know, I'll do it, but like I don't go looking for it because it just doesn't move the needle for for for our business, Like barbers are not reading Tech Crunch barbershop owners or not or not, they don't care about that. But when it comes time to fundraise, you know, I will strategically utilize, utilize, you know, these resources and these channels, because, like you do, it is important on the investors side to have your name bubbling a little bit. But also I'm of the mind that, like you don't want to be too accessible. It's good to have a little mystery.
Speaker 8: I want to talk really quickly because and what we'll open the floor for all our earners to ask questions because one of the things I know you're you're very proud about it is global expansion, and so I want to know if you could just share maybe some strategies and some testniques that you're going to use to make that vision come to fruition.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: One of the things I love about our business, and I love about just the nature of startups, you know, technology companies now is that the world is just so much smaller and it's a lot easier to launch in other countries, uh successfully, much easier than than it used to be. So for us, like I have global ambitions for Squire, and I want nearly every barbershop in the world to default to using square Fire is, you know, is where we would like to go. And we already are in Canada, in the in the UK, and you know, we have to launch in some other countries. We're starting off with, like English speaking, just because it's easier culturally, it's easier. We don't have to change the product. But there's no reason that eventually we can't have Squire you know on different continents, in different languages because everybody gets a haircut in the world. It's a universal thing. Just barbershops in every country and every city in the world, So.
Speaker 7: Why not is it limited to just barbershops or SALONSA is that.
Speaker 4: Next using it?
Speaker 11: But we are very focused on barbershops because uh, you know, I think I was talking about this earlier, but like that focus is like we look at it as an advantage.
Speaker 4: It allows us to.
Speaker 11: Build a better product, to build with specificity, and there's a lot of other salon systems out there, but barbershops we could be like the dominant, the dominant player.
Speaker 3: So you guys spoke previously about going public. Is that in your plans to go public? And if so, what's the blueprint that you are putting forward to take the company public?
Speaker 11: I mean, you know, and it's it's it's an option at this stage when you've raised as much capital as we have after vibrations that we have raised on it's always going to be something that's considered. But if so, it's probably a ways off. So I always think really focus on like the next you know, twelve and twenty four months, but ultimately, if we build a big business that's doing you know, it's doing type of revenue that we want to do. They'll be uh, there'll be options, and an IPO would definitely be one of those options in terms of exist.
Speaker 6: Yeah here, that's interesting here. But yeah, hats off to some man and Dave Salvaon and the whole team. I know it's a team effort and we have the chance to chop it up with your to it early and you guys gave his guidance that loop, and it's just I'll forever be appreciative. Of course. Also a song is instrumental for the loop Raise introduces to mad investors. Got invested himself. And I appreciate you, man, because it's founders helping founders, and it's black founders specifically helping black founders because we understand, we kind of understand the path. So I always see you as a fan of that's around the band for me, and you can see further year round. And I appreciate you just extending the handback to help another founder out as we grow together.
Speaker 4: Man, I love it. We've got to do that. We got to do that.
Speaker 6: One hundred percent. Let's get some questions, Troy.
Speaker 8: Well, let's see ern is what you got a question. You can raise your hand while they're doing it. I'm another one in there. So you briefly talked over you start, you had thirty employees during the pandemic, you scale to over one hundred.
Speaker 7: I think you said you had one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 8: Now, can you talk about the complexities of doing that, because I mean, do you guys you don't have a central location. So I'm assuming everybody is spread out throughout the country. What what are some of the dynamics and difficulties as you've grown.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everybody spread out over the country.
Speaker 11: It's not because of the technological kind of innovations on that side, people management stuff.
Speaker 4: It's not as difficult as you might be.
Speaker 11: Like you might think logistically, there's just like so many uh uh. You know, there's slack, the zoom, there's there's a bunch of you know, cr M tools and different things. But for me, this struggles more like just like culturally and and and you know, it's hard to get it like a pull somewhere around when you're not seeing people physically. So those are the things that we're thinking of. Like, as as we're reopening, how are we going to incorporate some type of in person team events. Are we going to open like clubs in different cities have kind of reopen some of the offices we had before. So those are other things we're thinking through now. There's a lot of uncertainty COVID though, because we don't know. It could be a new wave or whatever new trained. Hopefully they won't be so things go well, we plan on having some more in person you know, interactions soon.
Speaker 7: I got I got another one. That's another one.
Speaker 4: I'm thinking.
Speaker 7: This is like so brilliant man, Like I said, you saved me a lot of time.
Speaker 8: But so when when you're pitching the app to barbershop owners, obviously you're going to have the barbers preferably become part of that. Is there any type of brand like ambassador, Like I could see you having a like a celebrity barber in this space and really taking off.
Speaker 7: Is that something that you guys are have a vision?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So in the barber subculture, which is really subculture. You know, if you go on Instagram, they live on Instagram. Uh, they have barbers who are like celebrities, and some of them are celebrities. They cut celebrities here and some of them are just celebrities in their own right in the space, and they have like a million followers and they're very influential for other barbers. So we're working with what I would call like some of the most wunch of ones. We call them our champions, their squad champions, and they represent us when we go back to having advanced. They go to the events for us, and they're kind of like our our you know, our barber representatives, and they're like just some of the dopest, well known barbers. And they're all shop owners too, so that's one of the requirements. They have to actually own own a shop as well. So yeah, it's it's pretty it's pretty cool to work with them.
Speaker 8: Yeah, e y, y'all has earners, Buff has his rock Boys, squad guys is champions.
Speaker 3: That's that's a fact. So all right, do we have any questions from uy University? If you guys have any questions. This is the time. Once again, like I said, it's not every day that you get to speak to somebody that has, you know, future billion dollar business very soon on their hands.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I saw Jamie had a question in the chat.
Speaker 6: Billion used to be the main vision and now it feels like it feels doable. I used to be scared. I used to be scared of Bill, so I don't you know, And now it's like, okay, Billy, but.
Speaker 7: Like I think, you know, we can hit that.
Speaker 11: You know, really there's this pressure externally and then internally as well. It's always be thinking bigger, especially like you said, for black black.
Speaker 4: Founders, founders of color.
Speaker 11: But yeah, when I first started, I was, you know, I was thinking maybe twenty thirty million, that'd be huge, like that, just sell it through something else.
Speaker 4: And then if you raise a little more and you're like.
Speaker 11: Okay, it's big, like one hundred million, I could And now honestly I'm thinking like billion, Yeah, we definitely want to do that.
Speaker 4: But I'm like, how do we get the ten billion exactly? Yeah that's good.
Speaker 11: Maybe it's bad, you know, maybe that's just evil capitalism whatever, but that's what I'm thinking.
Speaker 7: All Right, we got a question. Ao og, my god, what's going on?
Speaker 10: You've been hey, I'm doing well. Thank you. Thank you guys again for just sharing, always sharing knowledge and just be being true to the community. Really appreciate you both. I was approached by a business to develop an app, and I was we just want some guidance on how I can structure that deal in a way that it protects my code and also secures me for the revenue that the business predicts to receive after building the code for them.
Speaker 3: John, you got any suggestions about that?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean some would love your t I have some thoughts, but would love your take as as someone who had to like myself, non technical founders. You got to bring a dev in. So how do you approach it?
Speaker 11: So if you believe in the company and you think that they can actually you know they're going after something big as equity, i'd be my my my suggestion. If you need the cash, then you can do a split where you say, you know this, this would be the cash payment, and then I want some portion of the payment equity. That way they protect and your upside if they go on to create that next billion or ten billion dollar company, you're you're going to do very well that That's the first thing.
Speaker 4: That comes to mind. Okay, what's a fair amount? What's the industry standard?
Speaker 10: Because I was approached with fifteen percent equity stake in the business, I don't know if that's u This is my first project, so I don't know if this is that's the industry standard, or if I could ask demand for more.
Speaker 6: I say that's I mean, that's a good amount. I mean, I'm not sure how how you know how much traction the business has already. I'm assuming it's like it's just an idea, right, It's like PowerPoint.
Speaker 4: It's just an idea for now.
Speaker 6: I think you have leverage to ask for more. This is a PowerPoint and there really needs you, and development talent is expensive. You know, I'm not sure if in New York, but if you are, you know, engineers are getting a buck eighty and you know you're you're getting stock options at Google, Facebook, Microsoft, any of these companies. So they got golden handcuffs. They don't want to leave because they're making a lot of money at their cushing engineering job. And oh, by the way, there's fucking always granola and lunch and dinner at the office, So you're luck competing with that as a startup. So I think you're if you are technical and you are full stack or front or back end, whatever your stack might be, I think you're at a position of advantage now. But here's the thing though, if you are already thinking about how you can exploit the business then keep a pushing and save yourself the time and save them the time. But I think that your mindset should be and probably is, but just spelling it out, it should be. Yo. You know, I want to be part of this business and I want you guys to see yourselves as a unit. And the best thing with the deal is there's no such thing as a good deal if you feel good at their expense or vice versa, because then it's all that friction is always going to come up. So the best thing is to cut a fair deal, which means that you're going to get a little bit less than you want and they're going to give a wagh a little bit more than they want. But if you can find that middle ground, then you cut the deal and then you forget the deal and you can focus on the work perfect.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much for that. Appreciate you aog my guy.
Speaker 6: Be well, bro, thank you for the question for yo. For those of you guys asking in the chat, if you guys, head over to loopinsure dot co slash e y l loop insure dot co slash e y l that entire PDF framework along with all the other ones from the past weeks is available for download, so head over to loop insure dot co slash e y l to get your pdf. Hot off the press. Let's get maybe two more. I want to respect songs time. A couple of hands raised.
Speaker 8: Yeah, earners. The link is in the chat in too. It's in the chat as well, so you can find a day.
Speaker 6: I'm watching the wait list, folks, I'm watching the list. I'm watching the downloads, so go ahead and download it downloaded.
Speaker 7: Tough Mountain, Chris, what's going on me yourself? You've been unmuted? He yeah, yeah, what's going on?
Speaker 10: Bro? Man?
Speaker 3: Lesson to Kings. I just had a question for Sanja.
Speaker 14: You spoke briefly about having to expand your team from the thirty two one hundred and twenty. This was kind of a piggybacking off of Troy's question. Was what were some of the hiccups for failure, successes, tips or tricks that you had about or had with your human resources?
Speaker 11: Yeah? This song, yeah, by the way, just this song, just like the word. But uh yeah, man. The first thing that I that I I would say is I learned how important it is to have an HR leader on the on the team, Like, we didn't have that for till recently. And I think I under underestimated like the importance of that, you know, I just think hr whatever, you know, compliance, you know, but it's actually very important. So making that higher was a key utilizing good recruiting firms because actually recruiting people is a job in and of itself.
Speaker 4: It takes a lot of time and energy.
Speaker 11: And at first, the founders we were doing it, but it can become a time dream if you're out there trying to do it yourself all the time. So eventually we started bringing on recruiting firms and their job is to go find the candidates for us, bet them, and then you know, send them to us to be interviewed. So I think those two things really allowed us to expedite the number of people were bringing on and hire and scale up pretty fast during twenty twenty.
Speaker 6: And what were you paying those recruit those head hunters? Song like twenty percent of the salary? Twenty five percent?
Speaker 4: Like twenty twenty five percent? Yeah, too much expensive?
Speaker 6: You have to do it, yes, sir, appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Chris, all right.
Speaker 6: Last one, let's get it in here.
Speaker 8: Uh, Jimmy, we're coming to you. I mute yourself. You've been immune. What's going on?
Speaker 4: Good team? Goodness?
Speaker 3: Well Jimmy the matrix you choppy? Yeah type type of type Jimmy Again.
Speaker 2: I'm tapping in based on the idea my company. Oh my bad give me two seconds?
Speaker 8: All right, yeah you got they got you on the Optimus Prime.
Speaker 3: I'm here.
Speaker 6: Can you hear me?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Here we go?
Speaker 6: Okay, great, thank you.
Speaker 15: Okay, So my mom, I talked to you about this on market Mondays, got my brandy.
Speaker 3: Jimmy Jimmy type Jimmy type in the chat. Yeah, your WiFi is crazy right now. They unfortunately we can't. We can't actually hear around.
Speaker 4: But I'm trying to do that.
Speaker 6: We have to think towards text.
Speaker 2: We have to think towards you know, in that teams being in the market right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we can't. We can't hear what you We can't hear what you said.
Speaker 8: That was Johnny five talk use Yeah, Jimmy, just type in the chat so we can ask the questions.
Speaker 3: Fi. Man, it's a bad time to have bad Wi fi.
Speaker 8: Yeah, somebody actually put in chat, So I'm gonna ask. I'm gonna ask you the one that Uh that is in the chat it says, in the case of your business, could you say, in maybe just a sentence, what your mote is in terms of segment, technology, business model, what separates you from from everybody else?
Speaker 11: Yeah, so I think it's kind of all it's so it's it's the demographic were going after being very specific. We're the only ones that are really like so focused on barbershops in particular, and that that gives us an advantage. It's a product mix, uh, like the ecosystem that that that I mentioned. The more things that they're using a Squire, the harder it is for them to just leave and use something else. And you can't use Squire and you know another company, like we're really all all encompassing. Uh So as a result, the business operations really just depend on being on the platform when they're on.
Speaker 4: It, and it's very integrated.
Speaker 11: For example, we handle their payroll for the shop, so when they're paying out the barbers, like that goes to the squire, the barbers get their money, you know, directly positive into their accounts. So just we just end up having a lot of tentacles that's providing.
Speaker 4: A lot of value.
Speaker 11: We think making their lives easier, making their operations smoother. But at the same time, it's a product mode. Uh, and it provides the defensibility because not many other companies can do everything that we do.
Speaker 7: Good old product mode. John Jimmy said he has his.
Speaker 3: Uh, let's just before let's try to get this shot.
Speaker 6: M say, by the Jimmy Jimmy, what's up?
Speaker 3: I appreciate you.
Speaker 4: I appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Are we back?
Speaker 4: Are we good?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 6: Let me try to make this snappy?
Speaker 4: Okay? Great.
Speaker 2: So my my idea is I'm trying to change in the light of everything we've been talking about n ft S, about innovation and spaces and about of course what Gary v is talking about. I'm changing the hangtags on my garments into limited edition collectible art pieces.
Speaker 4: From artists that are around.
Speaker 2: My brand is associated with street art, and I want to exemplify street art into living life and you know, doing what we do. So I've commissioned a few artists, but I want to see how we can create a space that's like a a more you know what I'm saying, A more innovative space for the garment things. So part of the issue was getting rid of waste because we're buying hangtags. The first thing you throw away, So I said, letstead of it making a hangtag, did you throw away, let's make it.
Speaker 7: A collector's item.
Speaker 2: Is in the n FT space and the collectors in the collector's card space.
Speaker 7: That's huge, Like, especially if.
Speaker 2: You have an artist over there, like a cryptic or a Retina or somebody really dope, you know, Ruben Rojas. These cats have ways to move the market in that Internet regard. I just wanted to see if we could talk about innovation in the space that hasn't really been Like we talked about the barbershop being left alone for decades, you know what I'm saying, Garments have been doing things in the same way and it's very very difficulty the physical thing into a digital space.
Speaker 3: Just want to talk about that some more, Okay, so content request, Yeah, we can cover that. I mean, we always cover new different topics, and there's different industries that you know need light over other industries as well. So I'm assuming that, yeah, you would like us to have more of an in depth conversation on the garment industry and fusing you know, it's interesting as far as fusing fashion with new age technology. NFTs and all that stuff. We've been talking a lot about NFTs lately, so yeah, we'll put it on the gin that, we'll put it on the do list, talk about fashion and technology and how they are coming together and how they can possibly come together.
Speaker 8: I think we spoke about it in the early crypto days when we were investing. There was a few coins that were trying to do that to help counterfeit production of merchandise, and so they had technology inside of the clothing that you couldn't replicate it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was thinking the NFT is gonna be big for know that that's actually really big for sneaker world because the sneaker counterfeit industry is a billion dollar industry and it's hard to really tell if you're getting a real sneaker or not. So if they can somehow put the NFT in with the sneakers, now you know that you have the real Jordans because you have a receipt on a blockchain and you know for a fact, so that in my brain that will work well with sneakers, luxury bags, anything that has counterfeit attached to it. The NFT thing, or just any kind of blockchain technology where you can certify that. So yeah, it's interesting. We could definitely have a more in depth conversation about that. Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: Stock Acts actually became a billion dollar business doing precisely that. They did annual authentication. When I went to Detroit, they tore me around the facility. I try to blog it. They had a shit lot down and actually have people specifically trained to identify counterfeit babes and shit and it's real cool. They school you, and there was like, Yo, if you look on the third panel underneath the sweater on the inside, then there's always an upside down monkey, and that's how you know that the ship is real. So so I do find it fascinating, but it's fascinating to me how capitalists will do that shit manually to create the value and then build brand around having that authentication, and it just it kind of reminds me of in a similar way, Squire and ey L and any other business out there building brain equity. E y L is now known as that platform where you get the real the real business ship. Squire, same thing on on the barbershop side, and Loop hopefully same thing on fair transparent inclusive insurance. But Yo, this has been a great episode. Man, Thank you song. I appreciate you coming on for the folks listening. Man, It's just these are these are rich conversations. You will get out of them what you so please. The depth is there and oftentimes, you know when I was kind of getting started and still today, sometimes like a line will breeze by, but if you rewind it and just listen to it and unpack it absorb it, there's a lot of depth and a lot of these lines, like, for example, one that stuck out with me. It's like a product mode and they got me thinking, mmm, that makes sense, which is why, like an insurance, for example, they bundle. You know, they'll they'll give you the loss leader and then bundle. So it creates an entire ecosystem that's difficult for you to leave, and then it increases your lifetime value, your customer and so on. But so always a pleasure, man, Thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you. We're all rooting for you. We are rooting for you, and yeah, man, we can't wait to see your success to the whole EYL community. If your barber is not on Squire, ask them to get on Squire. Let's show them what the EYL community could do for each other. And when you go public, man, we'll be right there waiting to buy some shares. So so loot man, good luck to you. Of course you and I will be in touch, but it was great to have you on man, and I hope that you and e y L will do we'll do more things in the future because they got a crazy barber community for real.
Speaker 3: Sure, thank you, brother, I appreciate your time.
Speaker 4: You for having me.
Speaker 3: For sure, for sure I got shout out to the good brother man that does it for this. Yeah, John, here it goes there. There was another one man, we only got.
Speaker 6: One got so yeah, it's been real man. I appreciate you guys. This this uh, this experiment has been has been great fun. And for those listening like sometimes you gotta experiment. Sometimes you gotta, you know, come together with people that you think are doing interesting things and see if there's magic to be made and if you could strike but one magic moment, then for me, the experience is typically have been well worth it. You deep in with a collaborator in the space, you bring value to the community at large, and you create some magic moments and I'm told that when one shoty is is writ and he's writing down moments.
Speaker 4: Ship out.
Speaker 6: So you already know, man, I respect you guys, have a ton of respect for you know that. Honestly, you guys work that think it's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I was just thinking that today. You know, it's so crazy that you say that. And by the way, Jim Jones shout out to Jimmy, he told me to turn this pad into an NFC.
Speaker 6: That's a good idea.
Speaker 7: That's a good idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I was just thinking that today. Man, I'm like, Yo, it's crazy. You know, just we we did a lot of stuff today and we still got to do some more stuff, and I was just thinking about that. Like you know, a lot of times people they don't understand, like what goes into being any level of you know, success is you know, the consistency and the work you can give somebody. You can give somebody the blueprint. Even this is a message like we for three weeks, We've given you a lot of tools and resources, but the ones that's really gonna win are the ones that I only apply it, but apply it every single day, day in day out. No, there's no breaks, there's no, you know, you got to just do the work, and that can never be discounted. Whenever we have these conversations, you cannot skip over work. Work has to be done one percent.
Speaker 6: And that shit is inconvenient too, right, because you guys are in LA and the sun is shining out, there.
Speaker 8: Be a lot smooth to be by the pool that right, come alive at night, John, We come alive at night.
Speaker 3: You come alive.
Speaker 6: I got you, got you, but you got to stay putting in the hours.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 6: The community takes note. I'm doing the same thing over here on this side, and we are excited to close out the series strong next week Thursday, six pm Eastern time. Man, people, I don't care what anyone says. Man, people will not be able to say that we didn't deliver value and drop jewels and left the fucking blueprint right there and plain sight for people to follow. So if you don't follow it, honestly, it's on you, So thank you.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 6: Head over to Loopinshure dot co slash ey L. Guys. Listen, those frameworks are not gonna be there forever we are. The moment this series is done is fucking going away, all right. These are ship that I've learned, like I've wasted a lot of my own money. Fuck producing it. Producing it is easy. It's just designing it. Learning this shit, internalizing it, putting it to the test, and then packaging it in a way that is consumable for you all. I wish I would have had these frameworks when I was getting started. There's tremendous depth to them. I hope that you guys can apply them to your game, and if you're finding value in them, let me know. Hit me up Jhi Loopinshure dot co. That's my actual email, by the way, this one that I use every day, so don't fucking spam me. But if you have questions Jhi Loopingshure dot co. I would love to uh. I would love to chop with you all, and I guess to sign it off until next week.
Speaker 3: You have it, brother, Appreciate you all right, y'all?
Speaker 7: Love is love. Listen.
Speaker 6: That's week p that's week it is.
Speaker 5: Brad do it from my school being forced bad drop bag drop drop drop drops.
Speaker 9: You just realized your business needed to hire someone yesterday? How can you find amazing candidates fast?
Speaker 7: Easy?
Speaker 9: Just use indeed, stop struggling to get your job posts seen on other job sites. With Indeed sponsored jobs, your post jumps to the top of the page for your relevant candidates, so you can reach the people you want faster. According to Indeed data, sponsored jobs posted directly on Indeed have forty five percent more applications than non sponsored jobs. Don't wait any longer. Speed up your hiring right now with Indeed, and listeners of this show will get a seventy five dollars sponsored job credit to get your jobs more visibility at indeed dot com slash p O d k A t z thirteen. Just go to indeed dot com slash p O d k A t z thirteen right now and support our show by saying you heard about Indeed on this podcast. Terms and conditions apply. Hiring Indeed is all you need