Speaker 1: Morning Run with Amy and TJ and iHeartRadio Podcast. Good morning everyone, Thank you for joining us for today's Morning Run. It is Wednesday, April thirtieth. I'm Amy Robots.
Speaker 2: And I'm TJ Holmes, And in the interest of full disclosure, we're gonna let you all know. This is our second time recording this episode because Robes, we are so exhausted that apparently we screwed something up the first time we recorded the Morning.
Speaker 3: Run and one of our mics wasn't working.
Speaker 1: Yes, so I think it was my mic that wasn't working, So we could have just done a morning run with TJ Holmes and nobody.
Speaker 2: Wants that you can girly hear talking. But this was completely my fault. I needed to look over and see that her audio wasn't going up and down on the little screen here, So that's on me. But just letting you know, this one's gonna be great because we already practiced once.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is take two of our Morning Run.
Speaker 2: But hello everybody, and welcome on this morning's Wednesday Morning Run. What we got for you. We got Trump twenty twenty eight. The constitution says he can't run again, but nobody at his one hundred day rally last night in Michigan seemed.
Speaker 1: To care plus the biggest interview of Trump's presidency so far, but the two biggest stars at ABC were nowhere to be found, and Trump and Bezos make up after the White House publicly pounces on Amazon for even thinking about posting products tariff costs on its site.
Speaker 2: Also on this morning's Ron Ups announced twenty thousand layoffs after making a decision to take a step back from its biggest customer Amazon. Also, a second state is set to ban fluoride in its public drinking water.
Speaker 4: Plus, GM recalls six hundred thousand vehicles, including some of the most popular trucks and SUVs on the road right now, And Katie Perry gets an apology, but no, it was not from Wendy's. We will tell you who publicly apologized.
Speaker 1: To the pop stars.
Speaker 2: Still waiting on you those Wendy's. But on the first leg, let's start our run here. It is Folks Day one hundred and one of the Trump presidency. Day one hundred yesterday was an eventful one from start to finish, and we're going to start with how he finished the day at a rally in Michigan.
Speaker 1: Last night, President Trump looking an awful lot like candidate Trump at what was billed as a celebration of his first one hundred days in office. His main message, you haven't seen anything yet.
Speaker 3: That's actually a direct quote from him.
Speaker 2: Verbatim, exactly what he said. So last night's rally resembled many of the campaign rallies we came to know during his president's run. So you got the adoring supporters out there in the crowd, a lot of red hats, a few insults thrown around, plenty of bluster about his accomplishments, and also in typical Trump fashion, roads he talked for a long time.
Speaker 3: How long do you ask?
Speaker 1: Well, he went on for about an hour and a half with a sign behind him that read one hundred days of Greatness. Subtle, Yeah, it's very subtle. Trump gave this assessment of his second term. It is the most successful first one hundred days of any administration in the history of our country.
Speaker 2: Again subtle. He also added that tariffs are working. He touted his immigration policies. He reminded us that he's smarter than the Fed chairman. He said his current low approval numbers are not legit, and in another all important moment of the night. He actually pulled the crowd to ask them which nickname they preferred. He used to refer to former President Biden. Your choices are Sleepy Joe or Crooked Joe. He asked the crowd which one should I go with?
Speaker 1: And we went back and listened, and there was a clear winner. The crowd loved Crooked Joe. It clearly won and beat Sleepy Joe.
Speaker 2: Sleepy was a little kinder, right. It seemed like it didn't seem mean what he said.
Speaker 1: The meaner the better in the crowd applauded and shared, just as Trump was hoping they would do.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's start now with how the president started his day. Earlier in the day, he marked his first one hundred days in office by doing an extended interview with ABC News. That interview is making headline because of who did the interview. It was not David Muir, the network's biggest star who also anchors World News Tonight. It was just named to Times one hundred Most Influential lists, like.
Speaker 2: A no brainer. He would do it right what you just said, But it also wasn't George Stefanopolos and Walking Encyclopedia of US politics. He hosts Good Morning America and the network's Sunday morning show. Another good option. Yes, those two. But now we're not gonna go with mirror stuff Anopolis. We're going with Terry Moran. Do you know that name, folks, Terry Moran. Now he is not one of the more high profile anchors over that ABC News, but he has a long time journalist who's traveled all of the world, done big interviews, covered the Supreme Court. We've worked with this guy and he knows his stuff. So this is not an indictment on him and his ability. We know he can do the job just as well or better than they could. It's just that when you have these high profile interviews, you're used to seeing the biggest stars of a network do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you're at a network, you don't even I would never even think to, you know, raise my hand, Hey, I'll interview President Trump because I know I'm not. I'm so far back in line. It's always going to go to the main, big anchors.
Speaker 2: And then about I was about three people behind you in line, so I knew I was liking here.
Speaker 1: So the question why go with Terry Moran over the two of the biggest stars.
Speaker 3: At ABC News. Well, there's a clear answer. Trump hates both of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Trump took issue with Mure after he moderated that presidential debate with Lindsay Davis last year. Trump and a lot of other folks accused Mure of being one sided, of not giving Kamala Harris the same tough treatment. Remember, there weren't supposed to be fact checking involved with the questions, and yet they fact checked Trump and they pointed out they did not do the same.
Speaker 3: For Kamala Harris.
Speaker 1: Afterwards, Trump took issue with Muir for a lot of things, also his hair, he mocked his hair.
Speaker 3: And then, of course there's the issue of George.
Speaker 2: Okay, and that issue has to do with a bunch of money. Trump sued ABC because of George. George Chefanopolis wrongly and repeatedly said that Trump had been held liable for rape. Again, remind me he said it ten times.
Speaker 1: I believe it was ten times, and the actual charge was sexual assault. And there's a big difference, a big legal difference between rape and sexual assault.
Speaker 2: So Trump sued ABC. They eventually settled with Trump for sixteen million dollars. So you knew there was no chance George was going to be the one in there in the Oval office sitting down doing that interview. I think he would have done a good job, and I think a lot of people would have watched. But I don't know if Trump would ever go for that, because Trump got to pick who was going to interview him, and this is how things go in these big time interviews A lot of times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but man, that would have been a sight to see. I would have been tuning in. So the responsibility, yes, fell to Terry Moran. And if you're not familiar with him, apparently the president isn't either. At one point, Trump said this in the interview, I picked you because I never.
Speaker 3: Heard of you.
Speaker 1: But that's okay, Yeah, I mean it is funny and I guess honest at that point.
Speaker 2: But it was contentious at times. Terry Moran did his job, asked the right questions and responded the right way and didn't get work. He looked like a seasoned journalist in doing what he's doing. But something to keep an eye on tonight, folks, we're going to hear from Kamala Harris, who we have not heard from in this first hundred days, about anything related to Trump. She's speaking at an event in California. She's going to be the keynote at a women's gala out there, has nothing necessarily to do with Trump, but it's honoring Democratic women. This is going to be the first time we hear from her, and we are expecting ropes. Are they saying we're going to hear her speak for the first time about what's been happening.
Speaker 1: Yes, because they've said, look, if you think about it, since she lost the election in November, she's truly refrained from responding and reacting to any of Trump's policies and all of the headlines that have happened over these first one hundred days. So yeah, she is expected to call out Trump over his policies and how she believes they are and he is failing Americans. Right.
Speaker 2: We'll continue here on this Wednesday morning Ron with Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. He had a call with President Trump yesterday and apparently the two kissed and made up after a report circulated that Amazon was planning to display how much idea what cost with Trump's tariffs. You've seen this in some places oversee some of the websites that will now China based companies. You buy something and your receipt shows this is what your price would have been. But it's got to be this and it shows how much the tariffs cost. Amazon was reportedly going to do this. Uh huh. So when we got out about this, the White House responded. The briefing yesterday in the morning was contentious, and the Press Secretary of Carolyn Levitt called the potential move by Amazon a hostile and political act.
Speaker 1: Levitt went on to ask why Amazon would change the way it shows prices because of Trump's tariffs when the company did not do the same with inflation prices during the Biden administration. Well, that was all very effective because within hours of the press briefing, Amazon announced the change quote was never approved and is not going to happen end quote.
Speaker 2: You know, the White House said, Trump called Bezos. Didn't tell us exactly what the two said, but Trump did later come out and told reporters that quote, Jeff was very nice, he was terrific. He solved the problem very quickly, and he did the right thing. So that went away immediately.
Speaker 1: Yes, but it's interesting to see how their relationship has evolved, because if you remember the first term, Trump like attacked Bezos, constantly calling him bozo. He accused Amazon of harming small retailers. So now he you know, we've got Bezos at the inauguration. He's saying, sure, no problem, we won't do what we just said we would do. So it's it's been an interesting evolving friendship. Next up on the run, let's keep talking about Amazon because it's also a big part of another headline this morning. UPS has announced it plans to cut more than twenty thousand jobs and close more than seventy buildings by the end of June. So just in a couple months after deciding to cut back on Amazon deliveries.
Speaker 2: Cause Amazon is their biggest customer, and the UPS now says the cuts is going to are going to allow them to increase their profitability. UPS says it will say three point five billion dollars this year with the decision, which is counterintuitive that you're cutting your business with your largest customer in half, but it's going to save you a lot of money. Now, despite all of this, they say, yes, Amazon is going to continue to have a strong working relationship with UPS. So no love.
Speaker 1: We were trying to get our head around this because it seems like, yeah, you would want to have more business with your largest company, but they say it wasn't a profitable business. So last year, just to get your head around how much UPS delivers an average of twenty two point four million packages a day. That means about five point seven billion packages for the year. But a lot of folks, unfortunately, aren't going to be getting those pink slips in the coming days.
Speaker 2: Next leg of our run takes us to Florida, where it looks like that state is going to be the second one in the country to remove fluoride from its public drinking water.
Speaker 1: Lawmakers there passed a bill to stop using fluoride, so it now goes to the governor, Ron DeSantis, who has already said that he is absolutely going to sign this bill into law. The move comes after dentists and other public health a visuals maintain that fluoride is a safe and effective way to keep teeth strong and reduce cavities.
Speaker 2: You might remember it was Utah last month that became the first state to ban fluoride, following a push by Health and Human Service AS Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Junior. Kennedy has said that fluoride is a dangerous neurro toxin that has been linked authoright as bone breaks, THYRAU disease, and cognitive decline.
Speaker 1: Now, there have been some studies that have shown possible links at much higher levels than we have currently in our drinking water, and there is no definitive evidence that backs up the claims that Kennedy has been making. In fact, adding fluoride to our water system has been considered one of the greatest public health achievements of this past century. A lot of folks who are upset about this point to the fact that there are many communities who count on and rely on fluoride in their water to help keep their young children's teeth strong. Some people don't have the money to buy all of these expensive toothpastes and mouthwash, and so they say this is actually going to cause damage and really cause harm to many segments of our population.
Speaker 2: All right, folks, will stay with us on this Take two edition of the Wednesday Morning Ron When we come back, some of the most popular trucks and SUVs on the road are being recalled, and it's a lot of them. Also, Katie Perry gets an apology from a fellow pop star. We'll read it to you and let you be the judge if it was a sincere one or not. We continue on this Wednesday morning, run now and next up. GM is recalling some of its most popular trucks and SUVs because of a problem that can cause the engine to fail. We are talking about six hundred thousand vehicles being recalled. Names like Escalate, Tahoe, and Yukon.
Speaker 1: Among those names, those are big ones, and GM says there is a big defect in a couple of engine components that can lead to damage in the engine or cause the engine to suddenly.
Speaker 4: Fail, which is kind of a big deal if you're driving down the road and your engine stops working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these are some late model vehicles. Twenty twenty one to twenty twenty four are the vehicle years. But yes, all the versions of the Escalades, Suburbans, Tahoe, Sierras, and Yukons these are all made by GM with the same Vight engine that is the problem. They are going to fix it for you free of charge. You can certainly call and go online and find out if your vehicle is a part of this recall. However, if you are an owner, you're not going to expect to hear from the company until June. They say. The letters alerting people to this aren't being mailed until the first week or so of June, and that was peculiar. If this is dangerous, why isn't this an urgent thing to get everybody into. Maybe don't think it's that big of a deal. Who knows.
Speaker 1: Good luck driving in May, is all I can say, or at least I mean, if you've heard this, please contact your dealer and try to get that done as soon as possible. We're gonna move on out to the final leg of our run today and probably one of our favorite this is our favorite story the day Katie Perry is getting an apology from a fellow pop star who now says it was mean of her to pile on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might remember the backlash that came, including from several high profile celebrity women, following Perry's star studed ride to space aboard Jeff Jeff Bezos is in this a lot?
Speaker 1: Yeah he is.
Speaker 2: And it used to be just Elon and Trump. Now we got Bezos and Trump dominating the news. But yes, she went up in that blue or Orgon Bezos ship. Not long ago celebrity studied trip, but a lot of people came out and criticized that trip. Among them was British pop singer Lily Allen. She said the trip was a showy, unnecessary and tone deaf exercise.
Speaker 1: Allan apologized yesterday in the latest episode of her podcast, and we really appreciated that she did this. Too many people are afraid or just their egos getting the way and they won't apologize. Lily Allen, this is an amazing apology and we'll quote it here.
Speaker 3: This is what she said.
Speaker 1: I would actually like to apologize for mean about Katy Perry last week. There was actually no need for me to bring her name into it, and it was my own internalized misogyny. That is such an interesting way to put it, you know, because we pointed this out. We didn't hear any men pointing the finger at the women.
Speaker 3: Specifically Katy Perry.
Speaker 1: It was all other women pointing the finger at Katy Perry, and so yeah, that's an interesting way to look at it.
Speaker 2: She went on to say that she's actually been thinking about it a lot and says, quote, it was just completely unnecessarily the pile on with her. I mean, I disagree with what it was that they did, but she wasn't the only person that did it. She was possibly the most famous and the one that divides people the most, and so there was something in me that decided to choose her as the person that should be singled.
Speaker 1: Out that that is so big of her to say all of this, And finally she added, I'm just sorry. I would have been hurt if it had been me and someone in my industry used me and my name and I saw that, and I'm sorry. You know, it's one of those things where you I'll tell our children and we tell ourselves to walk in someone else's shoes, imagine what.
Speaker 3: But most people don't.
Speaker 1: And I think it's really cool that she reflected on it and what she said and she is now apologizing. I just think that's huge of her, and I wish more of us could be like that. It reminds me of that think before you speak acronym, it's true to be you want it to.
Speaker 2: Be true on a true spot, honestly necessarian kind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if it's not one of those things, then you probably don't need to say it.
Speaker 2: Please let this be a lesson to us all. Whatever you thought about Katie Perry and whatever you think about Lily Allen. Both of them deserve some grace for what they've done. Lily Allen, she misspoke and I will apply. I don't not familiar with her her music. She's a Grammy winner, but I'm I'm a fan of hers because of the apology now acknowledging that she did something that maybe was wrong. So we'll go about to now our Wednesday, and we'll leave you with our quote of the day, something we like for you to consider, and it's a special one to us.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm bigger than the bad thoughts. I'm brighter than the light they're trying to I won't let the bad thoughts take the wheel. This is from one of our friends and an amazing musician, Rachel Platten, and we had the honor of watching her perform and an intimate dinner last night that Kenneth Cole. He held the dinner in honor of May first, which is tomorrow, which is Mental health Awareness month. And Rachel's been very open about her struggles with postpartum depression.
Speaker 3: It got so bad she.
Speaker 1: Couldn't even get out of the bed for days, and her entire last album, which is phenomenal, is pretty much devoted to her struggle in her getting out of this darkness.
Speaker 3: But it's so relatable.
Speaker 1: So many people understand this, so many people have thoughts that just start to rule them and send you into a spiral. And I just loved this line from her song that we got to hear her perform last night, Bad Thoughts.
Speaker 2: So take this with you today, folks. I'm bigger than the bad thoughts. I'm brighter than the light they're trying to steal. I won't let the bad thoughts take the wheel. If you were listening to us, got that phone in your hand, probably go ahead, go to Spotify now and look on Rachel Platt in that song bad Thoughts. We promise it is worth to listen. And just like the rest of our music, actually that one today with that, folks, to appreciate you running with us.
Speaker 4: I'm DJ and I'm Amy Roebuck.
Speaker 3: We will see you on the run tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Have a wonderful Wednesday.