Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio. Hi, I'm Sianna Jacob.
Speaker 2: And I'm Leana Holsten, and welcome to Tossed Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the Very slightly Less Racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching movies that a woman worked on, No movies with with a woman director, as this podcast is a safe swamp for people who don't know anything about movies today. What I'm loving is I'm never going to quite click into it. It's always going to be almost something that's perfect.
Speaker 1: Today we're watching Shrek.
Speaker 2: You're so wrapped up in layers onion boy, your pretty own feelings. Warning, there will be spoilers about this gooey old, felim fulham old film.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, like we can't even right right, Well, Leanna, your prediction about the film?
Speaker 2: You sure can, Okay, it's making me laugh a lot more than it's making you laugh.
Speaker 1: Yes, sure can. No, that's okay, I'll drop it. We have to remember I woke up, unfortunately in an unfortunate way, at a somewhat normal time, but because I wasn't planning to. It ruined everything.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have to talk about that because I also misread the text when you so we'll have to we'll delve, but for now, Sienna, here is my prediction for Treck.
Speaker 1: Good morning, Sienna, Oh my gosh, good morning.
Speaker 2: It's Leanna Sam about.
Speaker 1: To watch Straight Out the Swamp. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think I've seen this movie in like two decades, but I predict of course Donk and swamp and Fiona is princess, but then is Oger.
Speaker 1: I think the birds.
Speaker 3: Explode and I can't remember if the dragon is in Shrek too, and the princess will be here right?
Speaker 1: This is the one with Lord Farquah. One was what is one? Yeah? I hope I get go love you back. I love the week. Donky, I remember, don't that's me on my deathbed.
Speaker 2: I don't remember, Donky.
Speaker 1: Leanna, here's my prediction of the movie. Yes please, yes, please, yes please Hi Leanna. This is Sienna, and I need to get in there because I'm afraid that if I don't do it right now, that my roommate's only and that I'll be watching Shrek alone. Are you watching Shrek alone? It feels insane to watch Shrek alone right now. But anyway, we're about to watch Shrek Lord farquad Ogres, et cetera. I haven't seen it in a really long time. Yeah, but it's iconic. Okay, I love you, goodbye. Okay. Well, well, so you watched Trek alone. Yeah? Oh my god, no, I'm so sorry. Existential, existential, existential, I'm I've mentally entered the swamp. No, all my I got home and all my roommates were still awake, which never happens. They were still awake and they were watching Glee. And I was like, oh my god, I'm glad you guys are having a good time. But I'm about to put Shrek on right now, and if people leave, I'm gonna be so upset.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I can't believe they watching Glee.
Speaker 1: That's very its own way.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: It was very It was very interesting. It was like, that's not what the vibes usually are in my household. It's like people kind of like party time, let's watch Glee. Yeah, partners were over and stuff. It was it was interesting. Diet forced them to watch Shrek.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I watched it by myself at seven thirty in the morning, I texted my flatmate about it. I mean, they were leaving for work, but I was like, please don't be alarmed. But I'm in the living room watching Shrek.
Speaker 1: Did they Did they see it at all?
Speaker 2: Nope?
Speaker 1: Again, I was alone out there. I watched it alone. I'm so sorry for the existential drawa. I was alone. I'm all alone. Well, Leonna, speaking of existential Hey girl.
Speaker 2: Hey girl, oh girl, this text you sent so do you care to explain?
Speaker 1: Yes? So, today, unfortunately, unfortunately, my boyf accidentally called me on the FaceTime at six thirty am. He wakes up very early, and I think there was probably just like an old notification or something and he like clicked on it on accident. So I woke up with a fright to my phone buzzing, and I just lay there thinking about every anxiety I've ever had in my whole life. Oh no, oh no, just going down a spiral, just like, please fall asleep, please fall asleep, so I don't have to think about anything anymore. Please please please please.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so in that way, unfortunately, and much much love to him, and it's all good, but he did ruin my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Oh well, I missed the word or the phrase on accident. So I read your message as Kelsey ruined my life, like when he called me at six point thirty this morning, and I was like.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what happened? Oh my oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Scary, like almost replied immediately, are you okay? But then I really read it and I was like, well, that's insane as a response.
Speaker 1: I'm so glad that you reread it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, and I'm so glad that that that it was what it was and not what I thought it was.
Speaker 1: No, I was being so dramatic. I get it. Hey girl, Leona hate girl?
Speaker 2: Oh hate girl. Yeah, I guess I'm in a space.
Speaker 1: Huh girl.
Speaker 2: Drink this in though, because this is the last you'll ever see me in the way that I am and have been for my time on this earth. Because tomorrow night I am seeing Beyonce.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so exciting.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited you've never seen. I bought a cowboy hat from Etsy. It's my first time seeing her live. I got a disco cowboy hat from Etsy. That's oh my bag and so heavy. It arrived slightly damaged. My flatmate bought me super glue today because I have to do repairs on it overnight. I will be a different woman. I will be a changed woman, no promises after tomorrow night. Wow, I'm so excited that I actually you can't hear it in my voice, you know that kind of excitement. Yeah, like I'm not smiling about it. Yes, because I'm sorry, I'm so serious. I'm grave I feel gravely excited.
Speaker 1: It's wrapped around in a way where if you tried to communicate it with our human language, it would do a disservice to it. Thank you for understanding. I do understand.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right.
Speaker 1: I do understand.
Speaker 2: So listeners mark this, mark this as the final episode pre Beyonce. This is who E, B and AB will be tossed popcorn before Beyonce and after Beyonce. Wow, I'm going with my flatmate Eliza.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, that is so exciting.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it. I'm yep, I'm ready.
Speaker 1: It's only so often that you get to see like a really premium concert generally, you know, like a real like we're putting on the show Litzen type of concert, and then for it to be I think your favorite artist. Thank you.
Speaker 2: That's remember that time that that personal trainer was like, is Beyonce your favorite artist? Because I kept saying sligh, I think.
Speaker 1: So, yes, how did you know? Oh yeah, one, hay girl, I forgot to say. That feels like exactly the opposite of this is though, I went to a community sewing class last night to learn how to use a sewing machine, and because today I think I have shin splints from it, Like my shin hurts and I'm like, oh my god, I think it's from taking could be sewing class.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's sore, sore, It's gonna be sore.
Speaker 1: But that's still bad. But that's still crazy. Also, I used that I use this foot to drive, Like, why is this so much different?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: That's interesting. We used to drive.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: All right, you don't drive anymore, and you have remember at the sewing class. Oh, I don't know what foot it is. Oh what's I forgot? You can't drive anywhere? No, I didn't go to the sewing class.
Speaker 2: It was kind of I tell you, Oh what did I tell you about the knitting class that I took as a child.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Oh man, what happened? Do you know?
Speaker 2: Anything about knitting a tiny bit. So this is beginner's stuff where if you're knitting up, it's called knit knit, the stitch is a knit. If you're knitting down, it's called a pearl p U R l H. And you can do various patterns. And the week that we were learning pearling, I went up and I showed my homework to the teacher and she looks at it and she goes, what were you watching TV while you made this?
Speaker 1: Oh my god? But the answer was.
Speaker 2: Yes, could never stitch in the whatever the commercials watch. I stitched in a Kellogg's serial commercial. This is Pelugg's special k with red berries. This scarf is brought to.
Speaker 1: You by That is so crazy, she read me. She got my ass this woman last night, and then we can move on. But I think that she's a good patron saint of our existence. She was like just an old librarian who teaches this when she feels like it. And she kept saying, this is the first class. This is the rock bottom class. Say you could ask whatever you want. We're just trying to leave learning the machine, all right, Like this is the rock bottom class. If anybody was like, am I sewing this right? She'd like, it doesn't matter, it's the rock bottom class. My god, I love her. I loved her. I loved her.
Speaker 2: Wow, let's get her on the pot. That's kint a third host.
Speaker 1: She was just like she did not get you know. She'd be like yeah, oh, and she kept saying, you don't want your stuff to look you want to look handmade, not homemade, so make sure those corners are. But this is your first one, so it doesn't really matter. Wow, it was so awesome. I love that.
Speaker 2: Are you gonna get a sewing machine?
Speaker 1: There are like so many sewing machines floating around my life. The reason I wanted to take it is because I don't know how to use them when I'm confronted with one. Yeah, and let me tell you, some of my friends were like, oh, I could teach you how to sew. I'm so glad I went to this class because it is so complicated, like actually putting the strings on. Because she was a badass, she kept being like, yeah, they've been doing this for like hundreds of years and there's just never been They've never made a better system than this.
Speaker 2: God, it's like the speculum, Yes, exactly. In the eighteen hundreds. They did the Industrial Revolution and they were like, well for women's stuff, we're done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the best.
Speaker 2: That's fine, call it wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anyway, Okay, I.
Speaker 2: Love that siena local seamstress.
Speaker 1: At the end of the At the end of this, I'll show you the bag I made. You made a whole bag. That's amazing.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How long was this class? Two hours? Wow. It's really easy to sew a bag together because you just sew three sides of something and it looks really bad. All right, speaking of things looking.
Speaker 5: Bad, yeah, true, yes, and having a lot of heart, could you please give us the synopsis of the FELM Shrek?
Speaker 1: Yes, I can. Yeah, this movie while watching it felt crystal clear, but when trying to write it down was hard. Okay, Shrek. Shrek is an ogre. Shrek is an ogre. Lord far Quad. Lord Farquad is evil ruler and he sends all the fairy tale creatures to Shrek's swamp. Yeah, an act done out of bigotry for the creatures. Yes, and due to a lack of acknowledgment of Shrek's land, So Shrek is like, what gives this is my land? Shrek meets Donkey also Donkey becomes his his funky sidekick. They go on a miniquest make a deal with Lord far Quad to go on another quest to go rescue Princess Fiona, who Lord far Quad needs to marry to be come king, to stay king, because come care. Fiona turns out has a spell cast on her that turns her specifically into an ogre convenient at night, so that adds a little bit of spice for her and her eating, yes, her evening. Fiona and Shrek hit it off and things go a little differently at the at the end of the thing. It's a movie that shaped a generation. It did.
Speaker 2: It really did the end two generation, maybe even three. I don't know what jen Alfa is watching. I'm scared about them.
Speaker 1: Anybody like our parents' age listening to this since you know, we know our parents listen to this, just so you know, Yeah, this movie is so significant to the brains of our entire generation. It's like hard to it's hard to convey. Yeah, there is.
Speaker 2: I take this gym class on Saturdays where we use a machine called the ski erg and there's little handles up at the top of it, and the way the instructor describes it is, he says, so you grab the Shrek ears and you pull down. And that is because this is a twenty one year old man and watching the movie today, I said, oh my god, those handles look exactly like the Shrek.
Speaker 1: They are really specific. Yeah, like it's and universal. I can see all of these I can see all these images so clearly. There are words said that I remember so so clearly in my mind.
Speaker 2: You remember full quotes from this film.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the zone of how it said. Yeah, huh oh man, Well should we get into it. Let's let's do Shrek changed the world once upon a time. We embarked on our phone.
Speaker 2: Notes, the section of the podcast where we look at the notes that the other person took on their phone while watching the film.
Speaker 1: Leanna, your first note is being a peasant would be so embarrassing.
Speaker 2: You just mean generally, Yeah, like a medieval peasant. Everyone had the same haircut, and everyone's hair was so dry. You gotta wear that little cap, that little fabric cap.
Speaker 1: I watched watched a video one time, because of course, my YouTube sometimes often feeds me like, do you want to watch some old, some some edutainment clip that's not really that educational, but it's a little bit so you feel good about yourself and I'm like yes. And there was one about why so many people drowned Oh my back in I don't know what era, just like peasant times, yeah, hundred and it was because they'd go to wash stuff in the river and the river was so cold and their clothing was so heavy. It would just like suck no because you had to like the only clothed they had at the time were so heavy. Yeah, they just fill up with water because they had to go. They hadn't figured out a better system. They have to wash their stuff at the water and they'd be like whoa, whoa, whoa. It was such a problem. Whoa, whoa. Oh my god, by clothes.
Speaker 2: I none of it. It all seemed terrible, like there was just not especially like at the Dark Ages. There was no there was no levity, there was no music, there was no art. Thank god for the Renaissance. Yeah, both middle aged and beyonces both both. Yeah, but man, oh man, to be a peasant in the Middle Ages, I would be embarrassed. Ah bad, break, oh break, We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: I can't predict what things were like when we were growing up. Everything was so weird. That's true. It was the era of slime. Things were already getting weirdnpened one was confused. They invented dream culture to sell more stuff, but also we were having we were Everything was militarized all of a sudden, and like, I don't know why goo was such a thing. I don't know why those in charge were.
Speaker 2: Making the break through on goo, like it was suddenly non toxic in a way it never had been before.
Speaker 1: We don't know. We have accessibility to goo in ways we have because like in the eighties, you can watch anything from the eighties and go okay, people were on cocaine. But from the two thousands, I don't know what was going on.
Speaker 2: They were on goo.
Speaker 1: They were on goo. People were you know what.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was that everybody was so hungry because it was the be as skinny as you possibly can that everybody got a little bit like lightheaded and hallucinatory.
Speaker 1: So whatever it was that they were saying was for us kids. I can't like the fact that they would put like an Eddie Murphy donkey in this is completely understandable.
Speaker 2: Thank god they did, Sienna, Yes you noted donkey is funny, Okay, Leanna, you don't care, don't care?
Speaker 1: He really, I will say, this movie is very funny. I was cracking up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I was cracking up. Eddie Murphy as Donkey I really believe deserves an Academy Award.
Speaker 1: I wonder how much of this was improv for him. Oh, because I don't.
Speaker 2: I truly don't know good in this?
Speaker 1: He is amazing, is he?
Speaker 2: Where are we at with Eddie Murphy? Has he been canceled at all? I don't think I've heard anything, So I'm gonna speak positively. I'm going to speak very, very glowingly about him, and sorry if not.
Speaker 1: A comedian from the time feels very unlikely that Risky.
Speaker 2: Feels that a comedian from the early odds that.
Speaker 1: All of his comedy would give respect to go yeah, yeah, maybe mainly pretty pretty appreciated.
Speaker 2: All right, Oh yeah, go on, Eddie Murphy. I love him so much in this. I love him in Dream Girls. That man is so talented. That man can do dramatic acting, he can sing, he can dance, and he can voice a donkey like no one else in history. I truly believe no one ever, who has ever lived or ever will live, can do justice to Donkey in the way that Eddie Murphy did.
Speaker 1: He's one of the funniest people who's ever been born.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Donkey was everything too.
Speaker 1: There was a part where he heard some imply that they're walking along and Shrek farted, because that's what this whole movie is. It's like, he's gross, he farts, he goes. You can't just crack one off like that. My mouth was open and everything, and I laughed for so much longer than I expected.
Speaker 2: This is gonna be where we diverge because the parts that were crude, Yeah, I did not like.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of the crude grow stuff that I did not like either a lot. Okay, I don't like Shrek's grossness. I was eating sushi as I sat down to it, and I went, I gotta eat this fast because I'm about to be I had a much more of a stomach for this as a kid when it didn't mean totally to me totally, and now there were many parts where I had to look away. But that's why I was so surprised that delivery from Donkey was so funny that I did laugh a lot. The quote.
Speaker 2: I think my entire family knows this quote and quoted it often to one another when he says and in the morning, I'm making waffles.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I don't know how he does it. Oh my god. I genuinely this is something I wrote done too. I can't imagine a world before Donkey, before we were given the gift B D and A d.
Speaker 3: H.
Speaker 1: I don't know what was it like to be an adult seeing this movie. They probably felt insane.
Speaker 6: Imagine, yeah, they probably felt insane, but for them nine to eleven had just happened, so like the world.
Speaker 1: Had just changed.
Speaker 2: Well, and it was very interesting watching it as adults now because Sienna, you noted, it's actually really fucked up what they're doing to these creatures.
Speaker 1: It was insane. It was meant full atrocities.
Speaker 2: It was meant was like an apartheid Is that a word for it?
Speaker 1: Oh god, there was an apartheid state situation happening. I'm sorry, but that is what was going on. It was crazy. Also, the jokes in this very adult. Yes, they must have done the balance.
Speaker 2: Of like, actually want to understand this and I didn't. Yeah, compensating for something as a penis joke.
Speaker 1: Oh ass?
Speaker 2: When when the dolls hint that they're about to sing the word ass yeah face yeah, ah all alone?
Speaker 1: Yes, Leanna, you've said I'm all alone song very me, oh, very me, very me? Which character did you resonate with?
Speaker 2: And donkey don't care, don't care. He's like, please can I stay with you?
Speaker 1: Please? Will somebody please just love me?
Speaker 2: Does anybody want to maybe spend time with me in a significant way?
Speaker 1: Anyone? Anyone at all? Hello? Hello, Hello, hello, all alone?
Speaker 2: Ah, all alone? Who did you connect with? I hope it was the three little pigs who were German? I hope it was those German pigs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was probably one of the one of those side characters. Did you see that they killed the Mama Bear girl?
Speaker 2: That is in my trages, That is where I'm like, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. That was too much, that whoa too much. They killed her and they turned her into a rug and at the end it's just Papa Bear and baby Bear at the celebration, and I was like, I'm sorry, that's actually too far. That's way too far culture as they're torturing the gingerbread man.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, children don't have a hold on violence and death and psychological warfare in the way that we do as adults, because yeah, this movie hit me in a very different way this time around, where I was like, no, I'm sorry, I actually can't see atrocities happening. Yeah, this is supposed to just be like a funny animated stopped doing atrocities.
Speaker 1: They just don't. Oh yeah it Ah. It was insane. Culture was lawless at this time. People were showing their ass cracks. It was odd. There was goo everywhere. Every music. All the music was like all about being an idiot, and like was Scar It's all.
Speaker 2: Like I don't want to be an American idiot. Everybody's so mad one nation under the new media.
Speaker 1: It sounded like the Beach but everybody was angry.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the beach but everyone was angry.
Speaker 1: That's so it. Oh my dad, thank you.
Speaker 4: It's just.
Speaker 1: It's crazy, man.
Speaker 2: I guess when you become aware of the inherent violence of the capitalist state, eat Shrek is harder to watch.
Speaker 1: Leanna. You have said, to do all of this without a backpack unfathomable, Leanna, that is a fantastic point. I don't have anything. He sets out with nothing.
Speaker 2: He's wearing his dirty quest this leather vest, his gay little leather vest happy bright men.
Speaker 1: Donkeys donkey.
Speaker 2: Donkey's a donkey. That's fine, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: He can eat.
Speaker 2: Tress is like an anthropomorphic ogre who needs supplies. You are supposed to famously take supplies with you on a quest. Famously it's dangerous to go alone. Take this trek took nothing. Imagine just being out there. Where do you put your hands? You don't have any pockets.
Speaker 1: Where did Shrek put his hands? Yeah, Shrek was actually very gross to me watching this this okay, like he's also like he was gross to me in the way that like I am gross to me, like he feels like an adult person, because I was just very aware, like like you like with that, like the fact that he's walking around in the same clothes for days and days ah or visceral to me, I'm like I would feel gross. I feel very I.
Speaker 2: Did not even perceive that. I was like in that cartoon way where he's always in the same Outhum, yeah, for some reason, it's fine. For some reason, there are others who would change outfits, so yeah, fair.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't think there was a rhyme or reason to it. I just was everything was visceral in a way. This time where I was like.
Speaker 2: Oh, man, yeah, I mean he showers in mud. That's the beginning of the film.
Speaker 1: Siena.
Speaker 2: You noted she has internalized ogrephobia.
Speaker 1: It's just always even as a kid, it was so interesting to be that And it makes sense because she was hold in this spell like you're gonna be a hideous monster, and so she was told by society and also society literally wants to kill ogres. Like anytime, by the way, Shrek walks into a place, they go kill him or oh he's here kill Remember when remember when Lord Farkwood was like, you're already doing a disservice by being alive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was crazy, Like but again said that line, that was crazy.
Speaker 1: This movie is honest about the fact that they're like, yeah, like townspeople want to kill ogres. Yeah, they hate them. These guys fucking hate this guy. Yeah. But so I understand why she feels that way. But it was just interesting to me that she It's it runs so deep that not even a part of her went, oh, I feel lucky to be around Shrek right now, who would understand me? Ah? She instead feels like, Okay, I don't align with this person. At all, which I think you have a lot of people with whatever sort feel and when you have your own internal shame, you're like, no, not that at all. That's not me, not alike.
Speaker 2: I hate that in this way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hate that. Yeah, it was. It was interesting to see you never you don't have empathy for him because you hate yourself. Whoa wow, Fiona, Wow, Okay, Leanna. Obviously we talked about this before. You've said if I was trapped in a tower with a dragon, I would try to befriend it. Yeah, yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: And now we found out her.
Speaker 1: We found out that this is like an absolutely cunty girl, Lena of Aye of a dragon.
Speaker 2: That dragon is a girl's girl.
Speaker 1: You can tell. You can tell for when she you know, she's got huge eyelashes. She blows down the whole church at the end, that's true, and punts Lord Farquaad I loved.
Speaker 2: She eats his entire ass and then punches out the glass, the stained glass with his image on it.
Speaker 1: She's a girls girl, sligh, That is a girl's girl.
Speaker 2: That is nobody slays harder than that dragon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would try to her. Does she have a name? It's just isn't it. It's just Dragon girl Dragon.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: You asked who I connected with in this movie, and it was the Dragon. It was the draug God. We're Donkey and the Dragon.
Speaker 4: God.
Speaker 1: This is the reason we connect so much. Is our secret soulmate, our brand of soulmate is Donkey and Donkey in the Dragon.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, what is it about the dreag Is it that she's really mean to boys?
Speaker 1: She's so mean to men. She's so mean to men. But then the people she loves, she loves like so much. It's almost like, yeah, which I really I really connect with? Oh she chooses wisely, Yeah, but then she's obsessed with them. I'm obsessed with people I love. What can I say? Gosh, that's true. And she's a big Girlina and she at the end of the day, is it a big woman. She's a long woman. The power of a long woman, big and long, big and long. Leon you said, not emotionally ready for a commitment of this magnitude triggered, Oh my.
Speaker 2: God, who was Donkey said that to the Donkey said that to the Dragon when they first meet, and she's very enamored by him and they're sitting in her like smag Den of Gold and Donkey says that, and I was like, oh my god, I'm reading my own dms on Instagram.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of baggage. WHOA, I didn't know he was in this movie.
Speaker 2: I didn't complete I did not remember Donkey, not just from the jump being head over heels for the dragon.
Speaker 1: He was really like, don't touch me. She was like not letting up, and it was like respect his boundaries, mama.
Speaker 2: It was decades before they understood the word consent.
Speaker 1: It was really amazing. Is not consensual? Yeah that's really true. That's really true? Did you? And then she kissed shreks As was crazy? I hated that.
Speaker 2: I didn't like that at all.
Speaker 1: Was his ass bear?
Speaker 2: Imagine you go in for a kiss with your crush and then it turns out you're eating someone else's ass.
Speaker 1: That was I will say, like, I get why she was so pissed and tried to kill them after that. Oh yeah, oh absolutely she woulde be kissing Ogre's ass? What the fuck.
Speaker 3: That was?
Speaker 1: You all have to die. This has to be. This also has to be the dirtiest ass in on this side of the land. I'm sorry. That's like he takes pride in how dirty his asses it has literal swamp ass.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's the blueprint for swamp ass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Leoni, you said, ah a big stupid, ugly Oh girl, men about me when I asked them on a date, Leanna, Leanna, Ah, I'm all alone. No, that is what they do. It's crazy they do that to you. Yes, I'll kill them. Okay, thank you, Dragon, I will kill them. I will, girl Dragon, punt them. I will burn them. I will eat them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I will use my big tail. Please punch out their likeness. Please punch out their stained glass likeness in the church.
Speaker 1: That is. I love her. I love her because she's like beautiful and like she's graceful in her way and she destroys everything. Yeah, I love her.
Speaker 2: She's really powerful.
Speaker 1: Okay, Leanna, your final notes. I gotta get over there. I gotta get over to London because girl, you said, I'm ugly, okay me of late me?
Speaker 2: Yeah, girl, I yeah, I'm in a space. I know that's not necessarily the truth of reality necessarily per se perhaps, but I'm in a space.
Speaker 1: I'm in a swamp. So sorry you're in that swamp because, first of all, completely completely unrealistic, you're absolutely serving of late, by the way, thank you, thank you truly. Okay, but also I understand the brain, so I'm sorry that your brain is doing that. The mind got out, the swamp got out, miss swamp. Miss swamp thought the fairy too. And then you said, need to get Shrek a hat to protect him from sun damage.
Speaker 2: He was getting liver spots on the top of his head because he left without a backpack.
Speaker 1: He left with nothing, nothing at all.
Speaker 2: At least take a hat.
Speaker 1: Was three eggs.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you're right, probably had like a billion slugs along the way.
Speaker 1: I didn't like that. Sorry, I'm reading your final I'm reading your final notes. Your final notes are sorry. It's so fucking sad that Mama Bear is dead. That was genuinely insane. That was too far. It was way too far. And then your final note is and they lived ugly ever after me. Okay, at this point, I was just kind of committing to a bit. Then I saw her face. Now I'm a podcaster and gotta take a break. Sometimes we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: It's an ad woo, yeah, it's an AD break, taking an AD break.
Speaker 1: Just go now for now. I believe, believe believe.
Speaker 2: Oh, Cianna, your final note is girls supporting girls? Is this girl dragon? Yeah, punching out his lid.
Speaker 1: It's like it ends with donkey. Donkey facilitates it, which we love. Yeah, but it doesn't end with a lie with uh. The one who saves the day is the girls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's so true. I did really like, I mean, should we just get into badges and trages? No, now I will give a badge. I didn't write this down, but it's just come to me. I really appreciated that, given the time that it came out during the female characters are actually remarkably well rounded, not objectified by the protagonists. Yeah, in a surprising way.
Speaker 1: That's a really good point, Like they're just treated as equals. It, and then when they liked each other, they just like liked each other. They just connected and yeah, I don't know a lot in common. It was done very well. And even when she was talking about like being ugly and whatever, it was clearly so like this is supposed to be ugly, right, Like like we'd already been given the background for why we were, like why she was supposed to be stressed about it. Yeah, and then you know, it ends with her obviously becoming her ogre version, and he's like, hmm, what eh, this is? This is great.
Speaker 2: Oh, welcome everybody to badges and trages, a segment where we give badges.
Speaker 1: For blind mice, blind mice.
Speaker 2: Blind mice Comma three, and trages for too far with some of the characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going too far. My first badge I wrote little montage and I can't remember which one that is, because there's multiple montages in this and all of them are so viscerally delightful to me from watching it as a kid. Some set out were the opening, the opening credits of everybody's name being like a gross splatter or something, as we're like seeing his life.
Speaker 2: I did not like that.
Speaker 1: Once again for me as an adult, I was like, oh ew, But in my mind I remember it being like whoa awesome yeah yeah. And then also I love that montage later of them falling in love doing the creative the creative ugly gifts for each other, like when she makes a candy out.
Speaker 2: Of web, and then yeah, the balloon, the balloons mm hmm A badge for Eddie Murphy. Oh my god, oh my good god.
Speaker 1: I completely agree, and that leads to my next note, which is that badge for I actually lloled a lot and a lot of that was donkey because his delivery is don't kayh my god, don't cay. His delivery is so funny. I love him. I love him so much.
Speaker 2: A badge for Okay, very hilarious that the three little pigs are German a no, I assume to the original tail the country of origin of the original tale, and so funny to hear three little pigs talk in German accents.
Speaker 1: They just made it as funny as it could be because they're German. And then the three blind mice are kind of like British like this, yeah, yeah, yeah, oh hello, what's over here? I don't know what's that? I can't see it.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's so funny. I remembered all of them having much larger roles and me too. So much sense that they made sequels me.
Speaker 1: Too, because these they're so set up. You want to see so much more of them. I know, I really wanted to see a lot more of the creatures that it made me want to watch the other ones. It made me want to watch Shrek two. Are they coming out with another one?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But it's animation is weird now and made for the young ones, and I don't like looking at it. My eyeballs reject it. That's true, like Puss in Boots that animation style.
Speaker 1: I was like, mm hmm. No. The people who watched this, I mean adults must have seen this when we were growing up and been like, the world is ending. This is insane. That's things like this are coming out right, Like they're like, yeah, this weird video game looking ogre. These kids are doomed, and we were and we are. We aren't doing well. Look at us now mentally ill uh badge For the music, I mean, is there a movie with more iconic music than this?
Speaker 2: Every song was a banger, and it teaches children good songs. Yeah, this is how I learned Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, Oh my God, Hello Hello. Somebody once told me, Yeah, the world is gonna roll me the song somebody wants to Ain't the sharpest tool in the ship.
Speaker 1: That's a kind of dumb with the fast.
Speaker 2: Faster in this day an ill and of course believer, and I.
Speaker 1: Saw her faith. It's important to teach children about good songs, and everyone did it. I also learned the song that bad reputation. Oh my god, my mom says, am I right that I would ask her to play that in the car and she was like, oh my god, I'm going to have a punk rock bad girl as a daughter.
Speaker 2: And oh she did. We've all seen your communion photo punk rock as hell. Sorry for saying hell.
Speaker 1: Badge for. All the meadows in this look so dreamy. They do look dreamy. Oh I wanted to roll. It is the perfect liminal space I want to I want to go be there.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's like the bliss computer background.
Speaker 1: Yeah on a deli. Yeah, Badge for. There's comedy every second, but somehow but also not too much. It's not like an overstimulating movie, even though there's lots of images jokes.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one thing I could have seen because I remember all these banger songs and I remember all these just stimulating images as a kid. But it was really it was kind of it was, I don't know, it was pleasant, Yeah, a badge for.
Speaker 2: Honestly, they animated this bridge scene compellingly, the bridge over the lava too. I was like, they didn't have to do such a good job with that, and they really did. And I was getting like whoa. I was feeling like a peasant washing their clothes at the river. Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa our apologies to all peasants who died by drowning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I I agreed with that. I also was struck by that scene when he's swinging it and the camera. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Actually, like directing, I rarely am aware of it, but I did notice it there and.
Speaker 1: All the camera angles in this. I was really it was really good. They didn't have to eat, they didn't have to eat this much, they didn't have to rock this so hard. Badge for this is so specific and of its time that it's kind of a standalone genre, which is really amazing. It's like, yeah, liminal space, fairy tale, scarf, all these words feel like it's true to me, you know.
Speaker 2: You know that genre of fairy tale sco emotional goo mm hmm.
Speaker 1: And yet it works so well. It works.
Speaker 2: It gels if you will, itels. A badge for the Princess Refrain.
Speaker 6: Yeah, my final alone every day that I wrote down, even though I could give just badge after badge after badge for each image that seared into my memory, but I'm not doing that.
Speaker 1: Badge is for actually very developed characters. Yeah, very struck by just how how good the writing was. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 2: I have a badge for Fiona articulating what she needs when she's like, I need to be in a cave, going to bed right now. It is so hard for women to say what they need and stand firmly in it. She didn't say no worries if not. She was like, no, this has to happen, and it's gonna happen right now because I need this to happen.
Speaker 1: And they went with it. Oh my god, they said, okay.
Speaker 2: Obviously a badge for a nod to river Dance when Robin Hood, who's French for no reason, that comes out and does a little little performance with his merry men and they do a line that's similar to river Dance.
Speaker 1: Everything that happened to this movie. I went, I'm so happy this is happening.
Speaker 2: Why was he French? Robin Hood is from Shedwood forests?
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Badge for floating don Ke when they're at the wedding and you just see it out the window. Don Ke float up because Shrek is tossing him to get a view.
Speaker 1: I love it the beginning, the very beginning, when he's floating at the very beginning, I was laughing. He is so cute. I love him.
Speaker 2: He's It was again like they animated the main animal like they are a dog. So they had very dog tendencies and behaviors, and it was adorable. My final badge is a badge for bangers only. Every song a banger.
Speaker 1: Boom boom. Love is only true in Fairytail. I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, I believe, believe, believe. Yes, well, Leanna, do you have any trages? I do I have some. Yes.
Speaker 2: My first trage is for grossness. Yes, that is my main trage.
Speaker 1: My trage is gross when he first shrieks at the townspeople and and yeah, and spit and goo comes out of his mouth. I remember that as a kid and finding it scary. But even my kid's self is much stronger than me in that way, because I couldn't look I couldn't look at it.
Speaker 2: Gross.
Speaker 1: A trag for she kissed his ass. That was crazy. I did not like that.
Speaker 2: A trage for oh my god, they made a rug out of Mama bear.
Speaker 1: That was crazy.
Speaker 2: A trage for I never liked the part where the bird explodes and Fiona takes its eggs. I think I didn't like that growing up either. I think it made me sad, but never liked that.
Speaker 1: This time I thought it was funny.
Speaker 2: And then my final trag is a trage for yeah, fat phobia, because yes, she's got internalized ogre phobia. But also it's that era of like she's so perfect, skinny white woman, yes, long, skinny, lean white woman, and then when she becomes an ogre, she becomes like she becomes she becomes just a real body type, body like real, like real woman.
Speaker 1: It's just like that body type actually exists. So it's not like they makes her some secret over body type. It's a human.
Speaker 2: No, it's like a plus sized woman. And so the messaging that like oh oh this is like other and different and bad, there's a lot of uh implicit isms going yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean also we already know what it's like at the time. I mean we just watched real Women have curves, which came up after this, and we were like, oh quaint, yeah, definitely trage worthy that this messaging was completely received and accepted just in movies generally. Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and at the end and she accepts herself. She's like, oh, this my true self. But yeah, that bit in the middle where Donkey's like, yeah you are ugly, the bit where it's like okay again, they don't even got to give a trage.
Speaker 1: They don't make her. She's not like they forget. Did you see the substance?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Absolutely not. But I read the Wikipedia. She's not like a big monstro freak like the like. She's not like an ugly freak. She just like reads a girl like one. They wanted to make her because they because they made her cute. She's a cute character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeaheah, it does it is like, what the huh? Yeah, those are all my trages.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic, fantastic, and I guess the waterboarding the character, Yeah, a trage for atrocities. The atrocities were actually very All of us sitting around watching were.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, once you've had an education that teaches you about atrocities throughout human history, It's like, man, this isn't really funny as a concept.
Speaker 1: Yep, agreed, you know Leona Shell. We move on to our next segment, which is, of course, how to pretend you've seen this film? This is for you. Are just hanging out at your swamp, chilling.
Speaker 2: Out with yes, and Lord far Quad comes up to you with his hairy chest and back.
Speaker 1: And uh decrees.
Speaker 2: He his trumpetears trumpet him in and he goes.
Speaker 1: I get to tell everybody I want, every girl I want, and anybody who's around about my favorite movies. And I just watched a movie called Shrek. I love the way that it says that people are ugly. Some people are ugly and they should be killed.
Speaker 2: And in order to swamp Lord farquaad with information so he can no longer rule over any conversation. We're gonna give you a few sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film Shrek.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, yes, Lord Farquad, I have seen the film Shrek. Eddie Murphy's baff denomination for his voiceover performance was the first of its kind. Yes, I don't even know what that means, but that, oh, I.
Speaker 2: Understand British Acting Film, British Academy, British Film and Television Awards.
Speaker 1: Eddie Murphy also says that Shrek the Shrek series is among his best works. He's absolutely right. I'm so glad that he enjoyed it too, and I have fun and as proud of it because it really like he really set in motion again our culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, Lord far quad, I've seen Shrek. I am going to shut you up forever, after which I will celebrate for the whole evening and in the morning, I'm making waffles. Yes, Lord Farquaad, I have seen the film. I have seen the film Shrek.
Speaker 1: As we discussed last time on Prince of Egypt, people were taken off of Prince of Egypt and put on this film called Shrek Call, and it was called Getting shrekd And the reason for that because I was curious, like did they not believe in it? Or is because the animation process the production was apparently so grueling, which kind of makes sense because it's really like.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, was this an early days like three D animation? I think deathly, not that it came out in three D, but you know how Prince of Egypt was flat And I mean whatever those words are, sure, I guess, so.
Speaker 1: Is that what I mean? I think?
Speaker 2: So whatever you know is what I believe that when it comes to anything production wise, I don't.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's read a couple of let's read a couple of uh facts about Donkey. In an interview, once, Eddie Murphy joked that the movie Shrek and his character Donkey became so popular that if he had died the year the movie was released, newspapers would probably have used a picture of donkeys. He's dead. Donkey is dead. Donkey is dead. Okay so. William Steig, the writer of Shrek, also wrote a children's book called Sylvester and the Magic, in which a donkey has a magic pebble, scared h has a magic pebble, and scared of a lion, wishes himself to be a boulder for protection.
Speaker 2: Oh, Shrek, he says, that is a nice boulder.
Speaker 1: This is referenced in Shrek in Donkey's famous quote, I like that boulder. That is a nice, nice boulder. That's cute. I love Donkey.
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, let me do one.
Speaker 1: Sorry, yes, I was trying to do all the Donkey ones in a row.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, okay, than I thought, Oh my god, okay, yes, Lord Farquad, I've seen Shrek, And if you don't stop talking to me, I'm gonna get you kicked out of your overcompensating brutalist castle. And you're gonna speak like those those German little pigs. You're gonna say.
Speaker 1: He yeah, he hoffed, and he puffed and he sent on to fiction. Notice that's just good germ and so funny. Yes, what far, aquad I've seen the film Shrek. The scene where Princess Fiona burps was written after a recording session where Cameron Diaz burped after drinking Coca cola. Eddie Murphy improvised Donkey's response to Shrek, She's as nasty as you are. Oh, I want to know how much he improvised, because I know he probably just like got in there and said a bunch of stuff that's like paras Like. There's no way they wrote that thing about par fays.
Speaker 2: Like Robin Williams is the genie. They have so many hours of recording that they didn't end up using because.
Speaker 1: He just gave so much.
Speaker 2: We're so lucky to have a dream.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Okay. Steven Spielberg was originally going to produce the film and Nanti ninety one is he always tied to these movies. Then the film would have been in hand drawn anim and was going to start Bill Murray as Shrek and Steve Martin as Donkey kill me.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, And it ends with Shrek carrying the ten commandments like seeing them drawings, Thou shalt not kill I see, thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, covet thy neighbors swamp, thou shalt not.
Speaker 1: Kay.
Speaker 2: I am about to address Lord farquadt about how I've seen the film Shrek. But Donkey boots him into the next realm with a strong hind kick, and I say, that'll do Donky.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: It's a movie about an ogre and a donkey, and the donkey can talk, and the ogre is for some reason, Scott it and it was the most important movie to come out of the United States of America. Ah in the twenty first century.
Speaker 1: Uh no, now, now we have to do another second. That's true.
Speaker 2: Actually, this is the segment should you watch this or in which we tell you if you should watch this movie or if you should do something else in your swamp.
Speaker 1: What do you think, Leanna?
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, you can watch Shrek. If you want to see another incredible Eddie Murphy performance, you could watch dream Girls. Oh my gosh, and.
Speaker 1: I just forgot he was in other stuff.
Speaker 2: I know he's so iconique Sianna, what would you say?
Speaker 1: I would say, yes, you can watch Shrek. It's been so long since I've seen it, and it was really fun to rewatch. But if you watch it, you will want to watch the others. Yeah, that's true. It is true. We did not see any of those pigs or this mice or gee, catch me more, Suah, I must see more of straight little pig. What would you rate the film Shrek?
Speaker 2: Lehanna, I've been I've been waffling over this the whole episode because I want to give it a four four frog balloons out of five, but the grossness is something that would dock it a point, and killing Mama Bear is also something that would doc So I think I'm going to give it a three. Maybe I'll give it a three point five frog balloons out of five out of out of deference to the fact that its shaped.
Speaker 1: Degeneration is so important for some anxiety disorder in depression.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh and oh one more? Should you watch this or I don't? I think we have less depression than we would have because of Shrek.
Speaker 1: Grim one more?
Speaker 2: Should you watch this or is you should also watch the TikTok trend from twenty twenty two of a Shrek absolutely snatched waist in a leather body suit, giant coming over the horizon, bigger than any building, and dancing to the song.
Speaker 1: Material worl I wish I had boots. But see, I know what would you rate the film? There's so many images? Can you pasants? Can't imagine the.
Speaker 2: Number of images that TikTok trend would kill a Middle Ages present for sure, before the river got them, they would that's what they'd be watching when they're when they're heavy clothes filled with water and dragged them, pulled them under material.
Speaker 1: I would give this movie. I I have so much affection for it. I'm gonna give it. And also all the things that are coming off of it are the like weird insane atrocities stuff. Yeah m hm, it's really uncomfortable and all the like, yeah, the things we talked about. I'm gonna give it four point five bubbling rock eggs out of out of five. Oh my gosh, that's such a visceral image for me.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, oh.
Speaker 2: Yes, well there you go, everybun we that Shrek, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: And goodbye. This has been We are at toss popcorn on Instagram. We're gonna have some Shrek memes. You're gonna want to follow that. Okay, it's some hardness every time some of our I just like the way that your voice forms it.
Speaker 2: Thank you, it's my Scottish roots, a Scottish jaw.
Speaker 3: H.
Speaker 1: We're gonna we make some good memes. Yeah we are. We are cursed with talents that are not useful, useless and you can follow us Patreon, where we've got some very fun videos. Leon it's been like slaying with the Edits. So thank you.
Speaker 2: I do as little effort as possible, but again, cursed with a useless talent.
Speaker 1: Also, thank you for so much for everybody who supports us on Patreon. It is like really helpful us. Yep, we are on patreon dot com. Slash toss popcorn and join us next week when we will be watching Brave Brave. If you had the challenge to change your fate, would you?
Speaker 2: Oh and remember I'll be different because I'll have seen Beyonce my gosh. So you're gonna want to tune in.
Speaker 1: Thank you, We love you, Bye bye, don't care, don't care. You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put on episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app. Oh, I guess they literally do have covet thy neighbors like oxen kind of huh. Actually no, that's what they taught us in Catholic school. But it was like neighbors wife stuff, the neighbor's wife, and then there's all oh, I forget. There was like when you go to there's like when you get to high school and Catholic school, they're like they're actually technically like eleven commandments.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, this is the eleventh one.
Speaker 1: Toti gay
Speaker 2: Yes,