Speaker 1: It's time for sauce on the side. This could get weird, and it is gonna get weird, maybe not super weird. But hello, I'm gandhi, co host of the Elvis Aram Morning Show. We are on Z one hundred here in New York City and we're syndicated on like eighty ish stations across the country. But I've been working on this podcast in my head only for like five years, gone through a bunch of different versions of it, different co hosts, different ideas, and finally settled on just doing it by myself with my producer Andrew, who is sitting here silently.
Speaker 2: Hi, guys, there we go, I could speak yay.
Speaker 1: So what we're gonna do is pretty much just talk about the stuff that I want to talk about that we don't talk about much on the big show, like science and nature and OnlyFans, content, creators, comedians, all kinds of stuff. Who else have we had in here?
Speaker 2: We've got some good guests lined up for you, guys. I don't want to tease too much. Death Lady Yes, oh my god, my favorite. But I've just loved working with you and I can't wait for you guys to like see all this behind the scenes stuff that's going on finally come to life because Gandhi has put in the work into this podcast. You guys, get ready make sure you're liked and subscribed because this is going to be a ride for you guys.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, they're such a good hype man.
Speaker 2: Shoot thinks, where's this?
Speaker 1: The rest of the time, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Do it subtly.
Speaker 1: Andrew's fairly evil. I want you to know something about him. Okay, he wants me to do a burn book. Go ahead and explain your burn books.
Speaker 2: So you have the most savage takedowns. I feel like you can or is it destroy somebody? I feel with your words. So I think a fun segment would be Gandhi's burn book where you just take people down, tape their picture in the book, and close it and we move on.
Speaker 1: Okay, I already have like plenty of ideas. I also think there's potential to maybe get me canceled, because you know, everybody's like all sensitive and you never know why that person acted that way on that day.
Speaker 2: Canceled, shmanceled. I think you're gonna be fine.
Speaker 1: He's a menace, by the way, Please know that behind the scenes on TV shows, on radio shows, wherever it is, it's the producer that are up to all the bullshit and all the nonsense. So if anything terrible happens on this show, it was Andrew's fault. But first, I want to get to my first guest on my first podcast, because I'm so excited. It is right up my alley, Bertie Gregory. Let's give it up. Yay, it's just me, Hi, Bertie, how are you.
Speaker 3: I'm very good. Thanks, thanks for having me, Thank you.
Speaker 1: For coming, because I'm about to harass you in a good way, I promise.
Speaker 3: Okay, there's a good way. Okay, good, good way. I look forward to being harassed in a good way.
Speaker 1: So, if you don't know Bertie Gregory, he is. How would we say? You are a wildlife photographer, documentarian of all of the things that I would love to be. How do you describe yourself?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess I hang out with animals for a living, wild animals for a living, and uh yeah, fortunate enough to make make wildlife films.
Speaker 1: Yeah, genuinely my dream. I have a dream of doing a podcast called Can I Touch It? Where, yeah, people will get interested by the name, but then it will just be a series of me trying to touch different animals and seeing if indeed they attack me. You can have that idea if you want to, because I don't think they're gonna let me do it here.
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 1: But you really get to do this. So I just started watching your series Animals up close. If you want to stream it, you can stream on Disney Plus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been it's been really really cool. You know, you work on something for such a long time, you get so close to it and then it's like, how are people gonna react? So it's been awesome seeing, Yeah, seeing what resonates with people and what doesn't.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine any of it doesn't resonate. The thing that struck me the most is what you just said, how long you've been working on it? Because you've got six episodes right, ye, and they're in very different climates across the world, and you're tracking these animals and watching them for a long time. How long did it take to do these six episodes that we get to see in what an hour ish?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So they're all about forty forty five minutes. So what's interesting is that I think you know in when you're making a wildlife film, time is your greatest adversary. Tom Cruise line that, Yeah, and really you need the time. That is the key thing, and you need to spend a lot of time, and that is so you can learn the habits of the animals, make relationships with the local people, and really you know, figure out how these animals tick. And that's how you make films. Usually, with the wildlife films that I work on that are kind of pure wildlife, they're called blue chip naturalistory shows. Typically those are four years long, and there's a year of research, two years of filming, and a year of editing. Animals up close A bit different. It's because each episode is just about one animal rather than taking you around the world. We tend to do one or two shoots per episode, but these shoots are long, so usually we're spending four to six weeks per episode. The most number of days I think we spent on any episode was the Patagonia Puma episode. The Puma episode, but across the series I think we did it was two hundred and nineteen filming days within one calendar year. We shot it all within two so we were all broken by the end of that year.
Speaker 1: I can't even imagine. So the one episode, and one thing about the episode that really struck me. I am obsessed with elephants, and in it, it shows a moment of you filming and while you're filming, there are bugs all over your arm, and I was like, oh my god, he has to get attacked and bitten and just really bothered by all of these things while he's sitting there quietly and silently to not disturb other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we weren't just filming any elephants. We were filming forest elephants. So I think most people are more familiar with savannah elephants, which is a different species of elephant, and they're the ones in Lime King live in big open plains alongside lions and hyenas and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: He's order fined because they're not hidden in the forest.
Speaker 3: Correct. So forest elephants, as their name suggests, live in the forest. They live in deep, thick jungle. They also really don't like people kill them, right, So that ivory is more dense than savannah elephants, So for the ivory trade, their tusks are more valuable per pound per kilo, and as a result, their numbers have just been decimated twelve thousand in the last year. Yeah, I mean, it's it's just wild and if and it's thought that if if the rate of poaching in crete continues at the current rate, they could be gone within the next ten years, which is why one of the largest land animals in the world. And yeah, we're doing the jungle totally. So so we we you know, as that they don't like people, understandably, and so we want to film them behaving naturally. We also want to stay safe because if you bump into them in the forest, you know, they've got a personal space, just like we humans do. If you if you enter that personal space and surprise them, just like a person, they get very upset. And with a savannah elephant you can see them from a long way away. You know each other are coming in the jungle, you just bump into each other. For that reason, we had to live off the forest floor. That meant building a canopy camp one hundred and twenty foot up a big sapilli tree deep in the in the jungle. And yeah, so we kind of zip line to work. It was pretty cool commute. But you mentioned about the bugs, So the entire time during the day, like during daylight hours. If you're sweaty, you're covered in sweat bees. Now they don't bite, they don't sting, they but they're looking for salt. Their diet, like the elephants diet, it's very salt deficient, so a sweat is full of salt. So they just every time you get sweaty, which is the whole time there because it's hot and sticky, they just try and go in any of your holes, in your nose, your ears, your eyes.
Speaker 1: Just take it.
Speaker 3: Well, you've just got a zen out because if you if you, you know, start squishing them more and more arrive and say you've just got a zen out.
Speaker 1: And there's no type of bug spray that can help you out in this, not with.
Speaker 3: The sweat bees. No, they they just love sweat a lot.
Speaker 1: Also, in the beginning of that episode, it showed you pretty much up in one of these trees filming and a lightning storm is coming through. Yeah, they're like, Bertie, we need you back, and then use zipline across back to the tent. How much adversity climate wise are you guys facing in these different scenarios because you were in the the Glopagus Africa to forget these elephants, and then you're working with gorilla, which would terrify me. But we'll get to that in a minute. I mean, how difficult is this? How many times have you guys had to stop filming because of the environment.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's a good question because I am very often asked about, Oh, the animals are so dangerous, and that is just not true. The most dangerous thing is people and the physical environment. Yeah. Probably the hairiest encounter we had filming for animals up close was in the Galapagos. We were filming marine iguanas, which are like a mini Godzilla. They're like three or four feet long, and the biggest males. The males are the biggest. They're the biggest and strongest, and they're all hunting foraging for seaweed, and the best seaweed grows where the currents and the waves are biggest and strongest, and they're like pro surfers. They conduct dive under big ten foot waves. So we wanted to go in the water to see what that was like. We wanted to be a marine iguana, be alongside them. And I don't know if you surf, but if if you surf, you'll know that when you're waiting for the waves to come in every now and again, like once every half hour, you'll get an extra big set of waves, much bigger than all the others. And surfing you can see that coming because you're on a board on the surface. We were scuba diving under the waves, so you never know when that really big one's coming. And we thought we were safe kind of in a little sheltered, kind of little rocky cave, and this extra big set came through the iguanas all dived under it, and it just picked me and Jeff the guy was filming me, It just picked us up and just flung us in different directions. The underwater visibility went to zero because it's just bubbles everywhere. And yeah, I remember hanging onto a rock with one hand camera with my other hand, just really questioning my life choices. And fortunately, as well as getting to hang out with cool animals, I get to hang out with cool people. And I had this guy called Haavia Mahuad, who's one of the top divers in the Glapagus. He was safety diving for us, and he was not in kind of it's called the suction zone of the wave. He just watched both me and Jeff just get ripped off in different directions and he was giggling, I'm sure in his you know, scuba regulator the whole time. And he came and found us and kind of led us back into a safer spot. So, yeah, have you saved the day?
Speaker 1: Good for him for being there. That's a terrifying position to be in for any of them. We went to Hawaii earlier in the year and we went to this beach called Magic Sands. We didn't realize it was called Magic Sand because you'll be standing on a rock, the wave comes and all of a sudden, the sand's gone and you're just splatted out on a rock and that's just us on the surface. I can't imagine being down there also with all of the different animals, because I saw I believe it was you with a leopard seal trying to eat your face and you're just like, oh, it's okay, behave oh behaved? What hell I would have? It would have been an instant like crap my pants situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So that was in Epic Adventures, my last Disney Plus show. We down in Antarctica and yeah, we were actually sheltering from really bad weather came around this corner. Found a huge chin strap peng win colony, as you do. At the base of this penguin colony that probably had you know, tens of thousands of birds in it, there was this kind of rocky tongue that all the penguins would use as a launch pad to get in the water. And they were all kind of lining up. They look like commuters that rush out again on the subway, and they were all kind of like, oh, I don't want to get in. And the reason they were really nervous because there was this massive female leopard seal that looks like a dragon.
Speaker 1: Explain how big it is.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think how big she was. She's like ten foot plus, like, and like, they don't have it. They've got these really like serpentine necks, really long. They look like a dragon underwater. Yeah. Really, they're an intimidating animal. And every leopard seal you get in the water with is different. They have different personalities, and this one was encountered quite a lot. Okay, yeah, some of them you get in the water with and they don't want anything to do with you. They're really shy. They disappear you never see them. Some are really friendly and they come over and like literally like lounge on your head. Some imediately very bitey, very aggressive. This female was like perfect because she was curious and bold, but not super bity, like I.
Speaker 1: Don't care if it's a little body, it's a upper seal.
Speaker 3: But let me clarify when I say bity like, these are an ambush predator. If they wanted to kill you, you know nothing about it, they'd come out of nowhere. The fact that she was presenting herself to us meant that this was this was curiosity. I should also say that you know, if you or I want to find out what a new funky object feels like. Well, you mentioned the podcast idea, you have no you're going to touch it, right because you got you got hands, right, Well, a seal doesn't have hands. They got flippers, so they use their teeth and that's why yeah, us they Yeah, they kind of just get all up in your space. When you look at the encounters we're having, we're we're animal experts or we're working with animal experts, and we're reading the animal's body language the whole time. We're not just throwing ourselves to the wolves. Now, that phrase in itself is completely misfounded because wolves are't aggressive to people. That's a whole other side point all day. Don't worry exactly right, Well yeah, yeah, so so in the case of the seals, yeah, we're reading their body language. And you see in the scene in that episode she gets more and more fired up, more and more curious, and it starts to go from being curious to being a bit too a bit too bold and playful. And so that was the time to get out.
Speaker 1: So what do you do on that situation? What if you can't get.
Speaker 3: Out, you get out before it gets to that stage.
Speaker 1: Oh see, I wouldn't know that because I'd be trying to touch it and all I'm hearing is leopard seal. Maybe you can touch it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well no, So everything is on their terms, right, So she dictates the encounter, and you'll see that we are never touching her. I have a no big, no touch policy, but we're never touching her. The encounter is on her terms. She can come check us out or she can leave us alone. It's up to her.
Speaker 1: So what kind of background did you have to get into photography, but specifically animal photography and getting these up close encounters because I imagine there's a lot of training that goes into this, So.
Speaker 3: I guess I'm definitely interested in wild By First photography and videos was a secondary thing, like what I was doing, because when I was in particularly in my early teens, I'd sneak off from like sports practice, friends' birthdays, school to like go and find animals in the farmland near to where I lived. And you know, if you're choosing to like skip football practice to go sneak up on a badger, like when you're twelve, that's kind of a weird thing to do. And I, you know, as soon as I started showing people, oh this is why I wasn't there, I was doing this, suddenly it's like, oh that's cool. And suddenly it starts that you go from being a bit weird to you know, people getting stoked about the thing that you're stoked about, which is which is always a goal, right if you love something, getting someone else excited about it is is an amazing thing.
Speaker 1: That's why you're here, right, this this is amazing getting people pumped. I want everybody to get pumped about it because there's a lot of information as well as you're gonna you're going to see the animals, You're going to get up close to them, like you said, then you learn a lot. I mean the poaching. We've known that elephant poaching is going on for a long time, but when you were actually holding some of those tusks and saying, this was an elephant a week ago, this was an elephant last year, it's devastating that. Actually I told you earlier. You made me cry before we actually started recording.
Speaker 3: That's what That's what you're talking about. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I had to take a pause for a second because I just I can't fathom how people could look at something like that and decide they want to kill it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh no, it happened. Well, that turned on my waterworks. Yeah, that was I mean what so for context, Yeah, we were visiting the anti poaching team in the Zangasanga National Park in the Central African Republic. Amazing people that literally put their lives on the line to protect these elephants. And Tatiana, one of the Tatiana solo, one of the eco guards that she said, I want I want to show you something and she led me into this shipping container that was full of all of the tusks, elephant tusks and guns and ammunition that they'd confiscated from poaches that year. And what what was key about that was it was that year. I mean, I know, poaching goes on. That's why we were there to you know, help tell that story. But it was when there was there were dates on each of the tusks, when they were killed, when they were confiscated, and and that was that made it so much more real. And you know, yeah, first tusk I picked up was from like a week ago. There was a huge task that was you know, taller than me, weigh like fifty pounds. That that was. That was really moving and yeah, I don't often get yeah theory like that, and that was that was pretty dark.
Speaker 1: Absolutely I had a pose it for a second and just be like I didn't.
Speaker 3: But I think that's that's a key thing part of the show is that we show, as well as amazing animal behavior, the bigger environmental context. You know, there's no secret we humans are trashing the planet. Yeah, rible, But the important thing before everyone gets too doomy and gloomy, is that in every episode, and this is the thing that I'm most proud of with the series, we show the good news, a lot of the solutions and a lot of the amazing people already doing their bit to change our relationship with the natural world. Because to me, that is the key for getting people stoked about trying to change things, is that surely it's much better motivation to be told this is what you can do, rather than don't do this.
Speaker 1: Hope. It is terrifying, but it is good to know that, hey, at the end of this there might be something that we can all do to make this a little bit better. You're doing the good work and I love that. By the way, we are with Bertie Gregory, who is would we call you the host creator of Animals up Close.
Speaker 3: We will go with host one of the camera people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the Camera People is streaming on Disney Plus right now. It dropped in September, September thirteenth, and it's amazing. We have six episodes. And we were talking about the different environments you were in, how dangerous they can.
Speaker 3: Have you ever had a well you were saying how dangerous they were. Say they're dangerous.
Speaker 1: I mean if there's a leopard seal, you're just The Arctic in general is cold. There's a lot of stuff that can go wrong when you guys are out there in the middle of the water filming orcus. I mean, have you ever been in a situation that you had to exit immediately for some reason, whether it was the animal or the environment.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you you mentioned earlier when we were filming the forest Elephant episode and we were living in the forest canopy, staying off the floor so we didn't disturb the elephants. We were in a there was a big tropical lightning storm came through and famously, in a lightning storm, you're it's recommended that you're not up at all object covered in metal, and we were up a one hundred and twenty foot tree that we'd covered in metal our camp. So we had a plan, it was called the bailout plan for if this happened, and the idea was to clip into a high line of zip line that took a to a neighboring tree that was not covered in metal, and in theory, therefore we'd be safe. What we didn't plan was that this happened on the first night we were in the canopy. It was in the middle of the night and it was torrential rain. So the thing that we don't mention in the show was so Meg, one of the tree experts. She was across first. I went second, and me and Meg got over to the safety of the tree and Meg was like, you're good. I'm like, yeah, I'm good, You're good. And then Meg, Meg and I had this realization. We looked around in this tree that was meant to be our safe tree, and Drew, our sound recordist, he was based in that tree for filming, so to increase the transmission range, he'd covered that tree in aerials that are made of metal. So Drew had in fact covered our safe tree in metal, which was entirely the point of the tree. So Meg and I just sat there like, ah oh dear. But fortunately the storm carried on going and it was a source of good entertainment later that.
Speaker 1: Are you guys ever visited by things that you did not anticipate visiting?
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, a lot of birds, you know that they instinctively are scared of upright mammals on the ground. A lot of them are hunted by us humans. But when you're in the trees, you know that's not a place that we humans hunt things from, and so they're much more bold Yeah, loads of different birds that on the ground you could never get anywhere near, and suddenly they're really bold.
Speaker 1: Do you guys ever have encounters with, say, people like the poachers, who the egoguards are there to protect against. Have you guys ever had any human issues?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this was in the film. We did hear gunshots one night that was poaches poaching, but yeah, they didn't come to where we were. Fortunately.
Speaker 1: Is there certain things that you are there certain things that you're supposed to wear or not wear when you're out, let's say, dealing with the gorillas. You actually got very close to a silver bacuerilla, which I would find terrify You guys just seem to be fine with it. But what are the rules of something like that? And can I touch it?
Speaker 3: And definitely not that would be very bad for everything involved, mostly you. So the gorillas, they have this amazing group of people that they take it in turns, but they've they're followed. But gorillas that have never seen people, are you know, run away from people. These gorillas have been habituated over many, many years of being followed. In the case of the gorilla family we were filming. Yeah, mccumba is the name of the Big the Big Male Silverback. He was born in nineteen eighty and yeah, this project has known him pretty much every every day of his life and as a result, he's kind of familiar with with with people and as long as you're with one of those people. Interestingly, the whole time the person I was with, he's called osolo. He was going all the time, and that is something that he does. The Gorilla family know that. Oh that's a thing that you know, the human we know makes and and that was that was I guess their way of saying, you know, it was like be saying, Oh, it's Bertie here, it's Bertie here. You're good, You're fine.
Speaker 1: Thank God for all these people who allow you to get into places that. How else would you get back there and be able to do.
Speaker 3: This totally well, I get very lost, never mind never mind being able to film the Gorillas.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know season one. If season one just the six episodes correct, not just but obviously took your whole year to do it. Do we have a season two coming?
Speaker 3: That depends how many people watch it. So if you go watch it, so if you enjoy it, please yeah, share it. With your friends and family, watch it on Loop. Yeah, I will so much appreciated streaming.
Speaker 1: On Disney plus animals up close. If you get a season two, do you already have the animals in mind that you what are they?
Speaker 3: That would be a secret? Oh the secret spoilers, So you got it.
Speaker 1: You have to tease people so that they all go watch it, so that you can get Well.
Speaker 3: All I can promise is that if we are lucky enough to get another season, it will be equally, if not more epic and more exciting.
Speaker 1: Can you give us countries, no regions of the world, no nothing? Can you do a rhymes with damn it? All?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Well season or trying that. I'll keep going. As soon as the microphone shut off, I will continue to ask you if we want to follow you on Instagram? Where do we find you at?
Speaker 3: Bertie Gregory? And yeah, that's where I post lots of fun stuff about about the series and behind the scenes, some stuff that well, I mean, the series is kind of behind the scenes, so behind the scenes and behind the scenes, which is that it's quite meta. Yeah, so so yeah, that's that's the best way of staying in touch. And yeah, if if anyone has any questions or feedback, positive or negative. We love it mostly the positive feedback. Yeah, but it's good to improve. So yeah, constructive criticism okay, much appreciated.
Speaker 1: Instagram is great at constructive criticism. It is there anything you want us to know about what you're doing that we haven't covered?
Speaker 3: I think the thing that I love about the format of this series we want you to feel like you're on the expeditions with us. We want you to go through the emotional and physical highs and lows. I mean, you're not going to go through the physical highs and lows emotional, although that might be a fun interactive thing. Scorching Sun there's like a yeah, Scorching Sun treadmill that like goes up really steep when you've got to climb the mountain with us bugs. Yeah, well that's season two. Then is the four D Animals up Close Experience Animals up Closer?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so through these episodes you have dealt with let me see if I can remember all of them. African wild dogs orcas. That was fascinating by the way, watching them. Yeah, it made me very sad for the seals, but that's what they and the.
Speaker 3: Key thing is we're celebrating just how intelligent these killers are. I mean, could you imagine being smart enough and like physically capable of as a family creating a wave with your bodies to wash a seal off of a chunk of icin into the water.
Speaker 1: No, I am a radio DJ. That's not o thing. The intelligence, We're not really there. So you've got the Orcas, You've got the wild dogs. You went to the Galapagos Islands and dealt with the iguanas like Little Godzilla's elephants, Pumas. What am I missing?
Speaker 3: You're missing Devil Ray, Devil Ray Island.
Speaker 1: Yes, of these six episodes and these encounters with these animals, do you have a favorite?
Speaker 3: I should say that's impressive that you rattled off most of that list. I struggle with that sometimes, yet it's cool line. So my favorite has got to be the Patagonia Puma episode, just because we weren't going to find any puma. We were going to find one puma in particular. She's called Pataka. She's a female puma that I've known since she was a cub, and we went back four years on to see how she was doing. And not only has she survived those four years, which is a big deal for a wild puma. You know, the survival rate is not really high. But she's just transformed from this cute little bundle of fluff that was totally reliant on her mother to now this powerful mother herself with two cubs of her own. And you know, we are trained to emotionally disconnect from our subjects so that we can focus on keeping you know, them in focus and in frame. But when you've known an animal, you know, since it was a little cub, and she is battling males that are twice as heavy as her that are trying to kill her cubs. She took us on this crazy rollercoaster emotional and physical, and that was really special.
Speaker 1: Does she have any memory of you guys being around? Does she just ignore you? Does she?
Speaker 3: I mean I've described her as a long lost friend. This is very much a one way relationship. She sees us as part of the landscape, and as much as I want her to really enjoy our company, she doesn't care about us.
Speaker 1: So Patagonia Puma, Can I touch it?
Speaker 3: Definitely not.
Speaker 1: Is there anything you would say I could touch?
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 3: Yeah, But in all seriousness, you know, these are wild animals and nine hundred and ninety nine times out of a thousand, when you hear about a wild animal attacking a human, it's because the humans have done something wrong, like try to touch it. I once, this is a true story. I was once filming black Bears in British Columbia and I went to this place and I saw this family with a small daughter, and the family were putting honey on the small daughter's hands. Oh, and I wandered over and said, what exactly are you planning here? And they said, oh, we're putting honey on her hands so she can go over and feed the bears. The problem with this, as well as being totally bizarre that you think this is a good idea, is that something bad will happen in this situation and ultimately the animal will suffer. Maybe the human will get injured, but always the animal suffers, and that is why it's such a selfish thing to do. The show is called Animals up Close. We do get close to these animals, but I should say we're experts are working with experts. It's on their terms. We all want to hang out with these animals because we love them and want them to do great things and be ambassadors for their species, but we need to make sure that their well being is the most important.
Speaker 1: Thing, all right, So we will end it on don't touch it, even if you want to, don't do it. I'm talking to myself because I don't think a lot of other people will try to touch it. That's a good note. The animal suffers the consequence, not us again. Animals up close streaming on Disney Plus right now on the net. Geotile is where you need to find.
Speaker 3: It, correct, sweet, Yeah, if you just search animals up close, you'll find it.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, thank you so much. It's been so fascinating talking to you. I could do this all day long. But I know that you have a life and things that you have to do, and you have secrets that you don't want to tell us. But we'll get to that, and hopefully we'll have you back here again to be talking about season two.
Speaker 3: That would be cool.
Speaker 1: That would be amazing. Thank you, Bertie Gregory, thanks very much. And now after something so amazing and profound and interesting, we get back to the bare bones of this podcast. All right, So, Andrew, let's talk about your first idea. What is it that you think I should do well?
Speaker 2: Gandhi. I first of all loved that interview. That was so fun. What a great guess.
Speaker 1: Here comes the producer show.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to hear it.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, please more smoke up my ass.
Speaker 2: Please, You're wonderful.
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding. What's your idea?
Speaker 2: My idea is Gandhi's burn book. I think it's a really fun idea because you have the most savage takedowns of people or things or situations Like I feel like when I need to come to somebody for snark, You're usually one of my first people to go to. Oh, I've always compared you to like a Teddy bear with like a knife.
Speaker 1: You have on multiple occasions.
Speaker 2: Yes, And so I feel like for our listeners, like they could take situations like I know of a couple of things that are really annoying you, and I'd love to see you, like almost write them out here.
Speaker 1: You want me to air out my grievances.
Speaker 2: Air out your grievances, write it in the burn book, close it, and let's go.
Speaker 1: Do you think people know what a burn book is?
Speaker 2: Well, if they don't, they need to go watch the two thousand and four hit movie Mean Girls Iconic. It is one of the best movies of all time. I rewatched it recently. It still holds up one of the greatest movies of all time.
Speaker 1: Okay, burn book. You know who's going on my burn book? First? Kevin from Mean Girls? You want to talk about this? Have I told you about that?
Speaker 2: It first first entry and most fitting is Kevin from Mean Girls.
Speaker 1: Kevin from Me let Me Pull Them up here? So Kevin, if you recall, he was like the head of the mathletes, the Indian guy Kevin, it was just poor Yeah, okay, Kevin napour.
Speaker 3: Kevin g thank.
Speaker 1: He apparently did Mean Girls, and then he quit Hollywood altogether. The reason he quit, according to the things that I've read, was because he really truly, deeply prepared to have the role of Pie in the Life of Pie, great freaking movie, great book, by the if you haven't seen it, he really practiced. He did all kinds of things to prepare for this role, and his agent essentially said, it's definitely yours. Well, fast forward, all these years later, we know it was not his. It went to Dev Patel from slum Dog Millionaire, also a great movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, love that one.
Speaker 1: And for those reasons, Kevin Depoor left Hollywood because he was devastated and he's never returned. So I was like, oh, this is fascinating. Okay, you know what, I have a podcast coming out. Let me hit up Kevin Dapoor because I would love to talk to him about what's going on. Indian person to Indian person. By the way, we call ourselves they folk, they sy to day. See we can talk about what's going on and being Indian in the entertainment industry and all these different things. Kevin Dapoor from Mean Girls, who has been an abb movie, wrote back to me and said, sure, I'll do your podcast. My podcast VI is two thousand dollars. Please reach out to my team and we can make it happen, at which point I just said the fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, that's insane. That's insane, right, two thousand dollars to if you're on a podcast on my.
Speaker 1: Podcast, I know what kind of budget you think I'm working with, buddy. Oh my god. I was just like Wow, the audacity.
Speaker 2: The audacity of being in a movie and.
Speaker 1: Ah movie and then being like, sure, here's my podcast. Be whoa Kevin Depoor, You're on my list? Buddy. Also, I really hope you're getting your two thousand dollars for every podcast that you do, and I would like to hear all.
Speaker 2: Of them or one of them.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they're anywhere. To be honest, I know that was a shitty thing to say, but Kevin really pissed me off. So he can be first in the burn book.
Speaker 2: And that is exactly what I wanted it to be.
Speaker 1: Oh, you want me to burn random actors or just like whatever.
Speaker 2: Is on your mind. I feel like, yeah, you're just I don't. I hate the use of this works. It feel it's overused, especially by gen Z. But like I feel, you're savage.
Speaker 1: Oh well, times all right. I like to think of myself as the teddy Bear without the knife, just a teddy bear. But I'll take it, I understand. I like to think I lead with truth.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's what we'll call it, leading my or speaking.
Speaker 1: My truth, speaking my truth. That's what's happening here. So, Kevin Napour, if you ever change your mind and you'd like to do a podcast without a two thousand dollars fee, I'm gonna be here for you, buddy. You can come. This is a safe space, even though it probably doesn't feel like that to you at the moment. I will make it feel like a more safe space. And I hope that you and your ceramics are killing it out there and that's just you speaking your truth. That is my truth.
Speaker 2: Are we changing the title to know speaking your Truth? I actually love that.
Speaker 1: But the burnbuck is actually really good too. Maybe we'll just leave the burn book for Kevin Napour because it's perfect, that timing is perfect.
Speaker 2: It's in, but the segment could be called Speaker Truth.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you're in here, and I'm glad that you're my producer.
Speaker 2: Well for now, glad to be working on this show. And I'm very excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 2: A lot of exciting guests coming and I'm so excited. I feel like even when you don't have guests, just I feel peeling apart. Your mind is fun, Like I love going out for dinners with you, chatting with you just on the side, like outside of the show, Like you just have so many fun layers that I feel like whether you're just talking by yourself and like a random ramble like.
Speaker 1: Don't makee people think I talked to myself.
Speaker 2: No, I'm sure you don't.
Speaker 1: I do all the time.
Speaker 2: I know you do. I feel like you talk to your plants, you talk.
Speaker 1: To like that's how it helps him grow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I'm just excited that everybody is going to get to like see the inside of your mind a little bit more like we all get to here.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that's I guess what we're going to be doing here. We're going to have glimpses into the inside of my brain. Good luck everybody. My sister says, it's a terrifying place. I think we're going to talk to amazing guests like Bertie Gregory. He was awesome and wonderful and well and with an ask me anything should we do one?
Speaker 2: Now? Sure?
Speaker 1: Here, I'm going to hand you my phone, Andrew, and you pick one that you think is a good one.
Speaker 2: Okay, the power I wheeled, the power. I love being producer.
Speaker 1: Oh Neil de grasse Tyson started a live video.
Speaker 2: Time to join that one.
Speaker 1: Love him.
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh, this is actually a really good question. I feel for the first episode, it's kind of deep, but at the same time, I I love it. Okay, So do I read the name? Sure? So?
Speaker 1: Aita, I bet that's how you say it?
Speaker 2: Angiita asks on Instagram. When did you realize that marriage was not for you and how did you come to that realization.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a good question, Angiita. If you listen to The Big Show, you've probably heard me say I don't believe in marriage. I'm never going to get married. I am in a relationship. I've been dating my boyfriend for four years now and we're both on the same page. We don't need to get married. I don't want to have kids, and I think that if you are in a financially stable situation, there's really no reason to go get married and involve the government in your love affairs or whatever is going on. That's part of it, but the bigger part, honestly, I think that I know, we know a lot of people, and I'm not talking about anybody on the show, so do not jump to conclusions. But people who are married and they're not happy, and a big part of the reason why they stay in these unhappy marriages is because they say it's too hard to walk away. So for me, I think it's so much more romantic to be in a relationship where somebody chooses me every single day knowing that they can walk away with no strings attached, and I am what they want to be part of. I want my partner to just have freedom to do what they want to do and to leave a situation if they're not happy with it, and you know, vice versa. Same for me. I don't know that I believe in forever. I think I do, but until I really figure it out, I just don't see the need to make my life more complicated. And I just I believe in romance, and I think it's more romantic to have that, to know that person is just there and they don't have to be. Nothing is forcing them to stay there. They're there because they want to be, so Angita, that is my reason. And if you want to know, when I realize that I've never wanted to get married my entire life. I know lots of people fantasize about what their wedding's going to be like in their wedding dress and those shots and those thoughts just never entered my head. So I feel like I've just really never been a marriage type person. But I do love love and I do love relationships, and I'm happy to go to any weddings, so I'm not crapping on other people that's just what I want for me. Good enough answer for you, Andrew.
Speaker 2: I thought that was a great answer. Right. Make sure you follow her at Baby Hot Sauce and when she posts the ask me any things, we'll go through them on air every week for every episode. So if your question wasn't asked this time like Angietas was, then next week your question could be asked.
Speaker 1: It could be thanks for tuning in, We'll see you next time. It's us on the side.
Speaker 2: So this is as producer. Yeah, so we're gonna say, make sure you like this podcast wherever you're listening. I hate that follow, subscribe.
Speaker 1: Don't they know to do that if they're listening to.
Speaker 2: A podcast, I have to tell them that. And if you like it so so much, you could even leave a review. Five stars is preferred. Tell us what you think.
Speaker 1: Wait, now you're opening it up to people giving me one star.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, they're only going to give you five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, Andrew, we'll see how this one goes.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot, So, yeah, make sure you like, follow and subscribe and follow Gandhi at Baby Sauce and until next week on an all News Sauce on the side.
Speaker 1: I love you we'll talk to you later.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.