Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: In this Thursday, we'll talk to the former Charger, Philip Rivers finally got around to announcing his retirement.
Speaker 3: C C.
Speaker 2: Sabathia, freshly minted a Hall of Famer, will join us momentarily the last women's major of the season and it's the world's best testing their metal, the AIG Women's Open that'll be coming up July thirty first through August third on NBCUSA and streaming on Peacock, which is where you'll find this show. Good morning, if you've downloaded the app our phone number eight seven seven three DP show. We'll get to more phone calls coming up, update the poll results as well. He is a CC Sabbathia Hall of Famer. Now, how does that feel? Do he called a Hall of Famer?
Speaker 3: Feels good? It feels good. I mean, it's real, now, you know what I mean. I gave the speech and had a chance to get up there and see all the guys, So it feels good.
Speaker 4: Your wife doesn't call you hall of favor, does she?
Speaker 5: Nobody in this house?
Speaker 4: How nervous? How nervous were you?
Speaker 2: Compare that to pitching in a World Series, when you give your Hall of Fame speech, I.
Speaker 3: Was pretty nervous. I mean, you know, knowing you know from the time that you get elected that you know you have six months to kind of give this speech and talk about you know, your life and this life achievement and who you want to thank and you know, all these different people. So that that gave me a lot, a lot of anxiety. But I feel like the way I delivered my speech and not trying to think a bunch of people and just tell stories about you know who you know, helped me get to this point. I think that you know, helped me out a lot. But I'll tell you a quick story about the World Series. You know, I would get nervous when I walked out before games or whatever. And you know that postseason and on nine, I wasn't getting the butterflies. I was just feeling good, you know, I was feeling kind of fining. I was feeling like I was going to pitch well. And you know, I went out for the same thing in Philly. I went out for Game one. It was in Yankee Stadium, and everything is fine, Like I feel great, great October night, and you know, my routine was after we threw the ball down a second base, I would go walk to a ride and get the ball from him with my bare head, and I walked walked over to him. He tossed me the ball and he was like, let's go. I looked at him. I was like, let's go. And I looked down at the ball and it said, oh nine fall classic on it, and I immediately broke out. I hadn't been nervous the whole time. I looked down and realized that.
Speaker 4: I was like, damn, I'm in the World Series.
Speaker 3: I kind of like got back into it, but yeah, I mean I broke out of a full sweat. Oh my god, Like this is Game one of the World Series.
Speaker 2: When you're at the Hall of Fame, do you meet anybody who brings back bad memories?
Speaker 3: Oh? No, not bad memories. You know, just like I'm a I'm a huge baseball fan, so just you know. They had a garden party on Friday night that Jane Forbes Clark hosted, and everywhere I looked around the room, I'm seeing my favorite player. Like I grew up playing you know, Nintendo RBI baseball, and it's Ron carew in there, it's you know what I mean this Your Eddie Murray is Kim Griffy Junior, is Sandy Kofax, Randy Johnson. I mean, it's it's everybody's favorite player.
Speaker 5: In the room. And on Friday night, I'm not gonna lie. I got like a little imposter syndrome. I'm like, should I I'll.
Speaker 6: Be in this group?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, Like this is like the elite of the elite, and to be part of that that uh, that crew now feels good.
Speaker 2: But but there's nothing like I gave up a home run to that guy.
Speaker 4: I hope he doesn't bring it up.
Speaker 3: No, I mean, and that's that's the perfect time to bring it up, right, Like, yeah, I mean, yeah, I gave up a couple of homers in each ye row. Uh, you know we always tell the story is you know, it's fun now to be able to tell those stories in that room because you know you're all on the same team.
Speaker 4: A couple of home runs to each row.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, a couple.
Speaker 3: Of home wrest But first time so I started throwing two thousand and six, me and Carl Willis were trying to figure out an outpitch, and you know, I was throwing like this big loopy kind of slurf curveball thing. And we went down to the bullpen and in Oakland and he was like, I'm a teacher how to throw a cutter. So we came out of that bullpen session with like this eighty two mile an hour eighty three min hour slider, and me in my mind, I'm thinking, all this thing is disgusting, Like I'm taking this right into the game, taking it to the game. Get on to him. Each row, he hit it off the windows first half back like you know, it's echy, you know what I mean, Like this, I've seen this thing move like it's nasty.
Speaker 5: So he comes up again. First pitch, I threw it to him first pitcher.
Speaker 3: Of that bad He hits it out again, but it ends up becoming like my outpitch, you know what I'm saying, Like that's the pitch that you know, kind of took my to the next level.
Speaker 5: And you know, each he loved it the first time he saw.
Speaker 4: Well, no, it was his outpitch.
Speaker 2: He hit it out of the wallpart who picked out the Jordans that you wore during your speech.
Speaker 3: It was they were actually especially made from Jordan. They were kind of I made a bunch of shoes my my last year in twenty nineteen during players weekend, and they were combined them like a high school shoe that had some Milwaukee stuff in there, some Cleveland stuff in there. The cool part about it is I played for three teams that have Navy in it, so like, you know, the the left shoe was navy and gold, and that represented my Yankee you know, Milwaukee and Cleveland Cleveland days, and then the right one was red, which represented my high school. So you know, I'm just forever thankful for the Jordan family. The way they treat us after retirement is special, and you know, I wouldn't want, wanted any other way to go in in the Hall of Fame wearing a pair of Jordan's and a pair of threes up on up on that stage.
Speaker 2: Okay, but what was it like the first time you? I think you were the first baseball player part of the Jordan brand, or does that sound about it?
Speaker 3: I was the third, So it was Derek was the first, and then it was Andrew Jones and then and then me.
Speaker 4: And what was it like first time you met Michael?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: It was incredible, you know, he's, Uh, you gotta be confident when you were around NK. Right, He's, like I said talked about earlier, is everybody's favorite player. He's he's the alpha of all alpha. So you gotta, you know, you gotta be confident when you're around it. But but I enjoyed spending time with him.
Speaker 2: He's CC Sabbathia, the newly inducted member of the Baseball Hall of Fame. You know, you did all these things with the Yankees, but it feels like people still bring up what happened like the last two months when you're with Milwaukee, where they were like, uh, three days rest, CC go out there and get him, and you had an incredible You knew that you were you were leaving Milwaukee, they knew you were leaving, but they worked your ass off, and I you know, I'd still look back on that. I mean, that's an amazing run. What were your thoughts when they kept sending you out and it felt like on three days rest.
Speaker 3: Well, it wasn't. It wasn't so much them. They were you know, they were kind of freaking out, just along with everybody else, my agent, you know, everybody except for kind of me and my wife like I told her, you know how I felt. And the biggest thing was, you know, I had got traded from Cleveland, and you know, I had been in that organization from the time I was seventeen and that summer I was, you know, twenty eight years old. I had been there for you know, ten and a half years. And you know, when I walked into the clubhouse in Milwaukee, you know, I was scared to death. I didn't know what was going to happen. I had never been in another organization. And I walk in and my best friend Dave Risky is there. I played with him in Cleveland. And then Mike Cameron is there, and Billy Hall is there.
Speaker 5: And Prince Fielder is there, and you.
Speaker 3: Know, these are still some of my closest friends to this day. All those guys I just named were in Cooperstown, you know what I'm saying. So I just didn't want that season to end. And I felt great, and I felt like I was gonna go out and win those games. And it was more and so about me going in there and telling them a pitching on three days rest than it was them, you know, asking me or want me to do it. It was more and me So one thing is, you know, during that time, I never in my career felt like I was gonna you know, knew that I was gonna win games. And during that time, I felt like, you know, if you give me the ball, I can go out and complete the game to win the game. So I wanted to get that that franchise, in that in that city into the playoffs. And I think it was more about me, you know, telling them that what I was doing more so than than them, you know, kind of kind of asking or demanded.
Speaker 2: The car breaking down en route to Cooperstown, that's what a three and a half hour drive. That took eight hours or so to get there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, three and a.
Speaker 3: Half hour drive normally, And for some reason, you know, normally when we go on a road trip, me and my wife, we drive all over Marcus, Vineyard, Hampton's, whatever. If we're on a road trip, she drives so slow that I'm usually like, I'll meet her at the house and I'm nearby, you know, an hour before. For some reason, on that day, I was riding behind her, and you know, we were just you know, kind of making our way up there, and we had the kids with us, and we pull up on the side of the road on seventeen to get on the on ramp, and she stops. She's got let a bunch of cars go by, and so I call her. I'm like, what's going on? And she was like, my cars just stopped, and I'm like what. And I can tell them her voice that she was really irritated and you know, on the verge of kind of, you know, not breaking down, but kind of crashing out. And my kids and I can't take anything seriously, So we all get out of the car. Kids start making tiktoks. I'm taking pictures on the side of the road. She's very serious in the back, calling the tow truck.
Speaker 5: But like people starting noticing this is the other side of the road. They're howking. We're laughing it. It made for a good time.
Speaker 3: And you know, I feel like we know every time that we're all together, my wife and I and the four kids and we're traveling, we're gonna something's gonna happen. So you know, we're used to it and we always make the best out of it. But thanks for a good story.
Speaker 4: Who gave you the Oakland Raider helmet behind you?
Speaker 3: This is a This is actually a phone my cousin Dimitris Davis was mister Irrelevant. I think it was in nineteen ninety and he got all these different gifts from you know, from every team, you get a gift.
Speaker 5: And this was the phone from the from the Raiders.
Speaker 4: So that was on the draft, that was on their table.
Speaker 3: It must have been on the draft. Yeah, this must have been on the draft table. So you know, you get he was mister Irrelevant. You get a bunch of different trophies and stuff, and this is the one thing that I kept. And I got this Marcus Allen Super Bowl Super Bowl helmet right here that always keep up in you see my Raiders clocket just went down, but I always have to have something Raiders around.
Speaker 4: It seems like you're a football guy more than a baseball guy.
Speaker 3: I'm just a fan of everything. I'm a huge, huge, huge sports fan, but the Raiders are. I'm die hard Raiders, like I don't waiver at all. If you you watch me with my basketball I'm usually picking the best team just because I'm always in a bad mood after football season, so I got to pick a win basketball season. If the Warriors aren't in it, I'm always going for a winner. But yeah, I mean I'm just a huge Raiders fan, and I don't think that'll ever ever lead me.
Speaker 4: Okay, what do you think is gonna happen this year?
Speaker 3: Hopefully if if, if we can stay healthy, I mean, the defense is really good. You know, I love Brock Bauers. I would love to see what Gino Smith is gonna do for us. But I think if we can stay healthy, we'll be okay. I mean, obviously we're in in that division with Mahomes and you know, the Chiefs, and I think Justin Herbert is great. I even think both Nicks and the Broncos are going to be good. So it's gonna be a tough division. But we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: If you could have Gino Smith as your quarterback or Tom Brady comes out of retirement.
Speaker 3: Oh, I would want Tom Brady to come out of retirement to like run the organization.
Speaker 8: I need.
Speaker 3: I need somebody young, young, with fresh legs. I mean, I find with you know, being quarterback, as long as he can stay healthy. But I would want time to like really be hands on and be running like the football ops.
Speaker 4: Yeah, probably gonna happen sooner than later.
Speaker 5: I would love that I would love that.
Speaker 2: Congrats you're always a great guest. We appreciate it. Congrats on the great career, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 5: Appreciate it, Thank you, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: That's CC Sabathia just got inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. There's nothing better that I want to hear than when somebody says, got a quick story to tell you. When he tells me about the World Series. When he looks at the baseball and it says the two thousand and nine World Series and it's printed on the baseball, and the fact that it hit him that he's now pitching in the World Series, that's what you want. I'd love when I get stories from these guys. Philip Rivers, you better be telling stories. Fritzy, he's ready, Oh he is, Okay, all right, we'll take a break. Then Philip Rivers will join us. And I know we're backed up with phone calls. We'll try to sneak those in as well. We're back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio w.
Speaker 9: App Hey We're Cavino and Rich Fox Sports Radio every day five to seven pm Eastern. But here's the thing, we never have enough time to get to everything we want to get to.
Speaker 10: And that's why we have a brand new podcast called over Promised. You see where having so much fun in our two hour show. We never get to everything, honestly, because this guy is over promising things we never have time for. Yeah, you blubber lit lame me.
Speaker 9: Well, you know what it's called over promise. You should be good at it because you've been over promising women for years.
Speaker 10: Well, it's a Covino and Rich after show, and we want you to be a part of it. We're gonna be talking sports, of course, but we're also gonna talk life and relationships. And if Rich and I are arguing about something or we didn't have enough time, it will continue on our after show called over Promised. Well, if you don't get enough Covino and Rich, make sure you check out over Promised and also Uncensored by the way, so maybe we'll go at it even.
Speaker 6: A little harder.
Speaker 9: It's gonna be the best after show podcast of all time.
Speaker 10: There you go, over promising, and remember you could see on YouTube but definitely join us. Listen over Promised with Cavino and Rich on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Waiting for Philip Rivers to join us. Just announce his retirement and he stopped playing like five years ago. Maybe this is his s in time announcing that he's retiring, but he'll join us coming up. I saw this story that Michael Phelps, the Great Olympian, is going to give the Ravens players swim lessons. And I wasn't sure exactly what this was. But but if it truly is Michael Phelps, who is a Ravens fan, is going to give the players swim lessons, I think it's great because here's something that at least this is how I looked into it.
Speaker 4: I read into it.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of African American players who probably didn't get swim lessons, didn't have a pool that was accessible to them, and here you have Michael Phelps, So now you can get swim lessons. You're in your twenties or thirties, and you know, you're probably embarrassed to say that, you know, hey, maybe I could get swim lesson. Now you can do it, and Michael Phelps is going to help you. So I think it's a wonderful gesture. And I don't know, Marvin, if you read into it that same way, but I did that. In the African American community, you didn't have or don't have accessibility to pools and to learn how to swim.
Speaker 11: Yeah, for me, I didn't think about that until you said it. And it makes perfect sense because the previous generation that's you know, they're forty fifty years old, they didn't know how to swim because their parents weren't allowed to go in pools and things like that and had to go to a deeper topic. But it's pretty much a generational because you learn how to swim from your parents, and a lot of them their parents didn't know how to swim.
Speaker 12: And so I think that goes a long way from what you said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the team has a new pool, and uh, I guess there's a lot of players that are going to take Michael Phelps up on the opportunity to learn how to swim. He's Philip Rivers. He played in the NFL for seventeen seasons and now a high school coach. Look at there, you look good. You look like you're ready to play? Wait sight Dan, could you play right now?
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, I'm a little heavier than I was, but I could get through a game now. I made need a wheelchair the next morning, but oh yeah, I can still, I can still, I can still play.
Speaker 6: A little bit.
Speaker 4: Okay, did you need to announce, like, did you retire twice?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 6: Here, Well, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Maybe.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 13: The reason there was a little bit of a wait is I honestly wasn't. There were a couple of November Decembers there in twenty twenty one, twenty twenty two where I was getting I was staying ready.
Speaker 6: I was, I was.
Speaker 13: I threw on shoulder pads a few times and the helmet and was throwing in the yard and.
Speaker 6: Working just in case.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 6: And there were a few things that kind of got close.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 13: But then the last two years it's pretty much I've known, I've been done it really just timed.
Speaker 6: I wanted to retire a charger and do it, do it right with the chargers.
Speaker 13: Over sixteen years, Gates coming up with the Hall of Fame, one of my favorite all time teammates and lockermate side by side for uh sixteen years, I was. I was doing some stuff, some video stuff for him, and I was like, hey, guys, when are we going to do this? I want to retire Chargers. Should we do something on video? And it it just all worked out.
Speaker 4: What team or teams called you.
Speaker 6: I knew you were going there. I guess I'd teed you up for that one that you say it now, No, I know it doesn't matter.
Speaker 13: Yeah, well, I think you know, it was the year that the forty nine Ers had the injuries at quarterback, you know, and uh before early on, before perty really got going. You know, it was there's still probably six weeks left in the year, and it was. Uh, so there was a little interaction I've had there with with John Lynch. Uh certainly kept in contact with the Colts that first year year or so out. Uh, when the Saints had the injuries. Uh, you know, I think they called Drew and I both. I remember being on a phone call with Drew and it was over Christmas and it was like the first Christmas I've been all, you know, been off and not playing and uh, and I was like, I can't believe I'm being considering this, but uh, Drew and I ended up talking about Hey.
Speaker 7: Were you serious?
Speaker 13: It was, and he was asking me if I was serious, and I was like, it sounds good, you know, it sounds good in theory, but then it's like, man, I felt like the later the season went, I was going to become a guest quarterback, and to me, that just was what ultimately, ultimately the teams didn't want me to. It didn't get that far to where it was in my control, but I didn't want to be a guest quarterback. You know, you want to at least have some camaraderie and in some sense of man, I've been in this on.
Speaker 6: This journey with you guys at least for half a season.
Speaker 13: But when he got to the playoffs, it's like, man, you're gonna go and play one game and you're either the hero to help him win or you came in and cast him a playoff game.
Speaker 6: So it just didn't make whole lot of sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could have been a Joe Flacco.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, which, shoot, I thought it was awesome.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 13: I loved watching Joe and pulling for Joe when he was in that situation.
Speaker 2: But take me back to when you came out of college. I remember the knock on you was your arm your arm angle, or how you like how you threw like it felt like that was one of those you just didn't throw it the a quarterbacks the other quarterbacks through the ball.
Speaker 4: Is that correct?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, no it is.
Speaker 13: I think he gradually got less and less awkward. You know, as even as my career went, there is a uniqueness to it, and I shoult I appreciate that now, you know, I hear you hear people say, oh, man, that's how Philip rivers through the ball. So I guess uniqueness to it. That's uh ended up being kind of one of my trademarks. But growing up as the son of a coach, I was the ball boy and water boy when my dad was coaching high school ball five six, seven years old, and I was throwing a regulations size football. So that's the only way I could throw it. You know, you kind of laid it in your hand and uh and and pushed it. And so then as I grew up, you know, as I got a bigger and stronger in my hand could could reach. There's still an element of that, you know, muscle memory motion that just became my own.
Speaker 6: And and so that's where it was. I remember norm Chow.
Speaker 13: You know, we had We had one of the great offensive coaches of all time in college football at NC State my freshman year. And the first day he watched me practice, he he asked me if I was hurt you shoulder?
Speaker 6: Is your shoulder? Is your shoulder bothering you? And I said, no, my shoulder is fine.
Speaker 5: And uh.
Speaker 13: He set the tape off to Mike Homern and said, now you need to take a look at this, and and and and Coach Chow ended up telling me Homer and said, if he's not getting balls about it down and he's accurate, he said, heck with it, leave it alone.
Speaker 6: And so we did.
Speaker 12: We did.
Speaker 2: How is the position changed? Like, what's the most important part of playing the position?
Speaker 13: I still think and and I I'm biased, I guess a little bit. I best say if you asked most pocket passers like myself, they may say this may not. I still think you got to be able to stand in the pocket and make quick decisions and be accurate with the football and and and and throw it from the pocket on third and eight and crucial situations on a two minute drive. All those things that that is still going to be a necessity of playing the position. To me, I think it's a bonus. It's a bonus if you can do the other stuff like many of these guys nowadays. Can you know the Josh Allens and Lamar Jackson's and Bo Nicks has the ability to run, you know, as you know had an unbelievablerookie year. Obviously mahomes and I'm leaving guys out unintentionally.
Speaker 6: But if you can't do those things, it helps you.
Speaker 13: But you still got to be able to stand in there and make a throw and take a hit right under the chin. Because if you can't do that, if all you can do is just kind of run around and you're a fifty percent passer, I don't think you can last.
Speaker 2: He's Philip Rivers, NFL quarterback for seventeen seasons. Fan base that probably disliked you the most was which fan base? Uh?
Speaker 6: Probably the Denver?
Speaker 2: Okay, let me can I bring in Fritzie is a Denver Bronco fan and all my guests, so Fritzie would always complain that you complained too much, that you wind too much when you play. This is coming from a Bronco fen. Would you say that's fair assessment of you? You were critical. Philip rivers whining.
Speaker 12: Yes, and I hope Philip agrees.
Speaker 14: And I got nothing against the guy, but being a huge Broncel fan since I'm like seven years old, I did see like there was a lot of complaining to the officials, a lot of trash talking. Even though he didn't cursy. He was always kind, I guess with his trash talk, but that seemed like a lot of whining was going on.
Speaker 13: Okay, Phil, Yeah, I can see it. I can see it coming across as as whining. It was more a fire and passion and drive to want to win the stinking game and for the calls to be right and for the you know, all those things to go. So yes, it would it be classified as whining in some cases.
Speaker 6: I'm sure.
Speaker 13: I'm sure it would. I'm not proud of every every moment, believe me. There's some many that I look at and I go, man, I lost my mind?
Speaker 6: What was I doing.
Speaker 13: But there's a lot of it that I laugh at, And then there's a lot of it that I go, man, I hope people realize how much I love playing. I love playing just like I was as a kid in the backyard and I got to do it as a you know, forty year old all the way through my thirties, two hundred and fifty times, and that was it was truly just how you would be in the backyard, you know, play with your buddies or brothers and arguing and carrying on and talking smack and all those things.
Speaker 2: But you did it in a polite way, Like how do you talk trash in a polite way?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I don't know if it's necessarily polite. I think sometimes maybe that's what made it sing a little worse.
Speaker 12: It wasn't.
Speaker 6: It wasn't the four letter words.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, wait, how would you talk trash to me if I'm a defensive player.
Speaker 4: I just sacked you and I got something to say to you.
Speaker 6: Oh I don't know.
Speaker 13: I mean I was gonna say, Dan, I could better do it with you in your role there. I'd be like, Dan, really, you're gonna start off the interview at saying I retired twice?
Speaker 6: I mean, come on talking for five years?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: Hey, will you stop blinding?
Speaker 6: I've retired as something else. How long are you going to do this?
Speaker 14: Dan?
Speaker 4: How are the kids? What are there ten kids?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 13: Yeah, there's a there's ten and I got a little grandson. I got a little grandson. My oldest two daughters are married, and my oldest daughter and her husband have a little little boy that's almost a year old, so that's a blast.
Speaker 6: And then she's the other children growing up fast.
Speaker 13: So I have three that are out of the house or high school or beyond this year, and then still seven at home. Three boys, seven girls and three boys. But they're growing up fast.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 13: My oldest son will be the quarterback again this year at the high school. He's a junior, and he's gonna have a chance. He's gonna have a chance to play at the next level, which is exciting. I was gonna say two back to the throwing motion thing. I threw that way because I think I had a ball, you know, a big ball when I was little. He throws that way a little bit. I don't know if it's just from watching me or if it's just in our DNA, but he's a little more over the top. But when people watch him throw, they go, man, he throws it like you, and I go, well, he did watch me play for his whole life growing up.
Speaker 4: Why didn't you teach him how to throw like Brady.
Speaker 6: Brady's a little throw over the top. You know, it's little too over the top.
Speaker 4: What about Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 13: I like Aaron Rodgers' motion and he flicks it. He can throw it every different way. My homes kind of can throw at every different arm angle. I was kidding about Brady beans over the top. But but I think the different arm angles is huge. It's key, you know, it's key to be able to do that because you're throwing it. People think, you know, to me, the height thing is not as big of a deal. You know, Drew Brees won the best ever six you know, six foot or so. But is It's not as much a height deal.
Speaker 6: It's ability to.
Speaker 13: Throw arm angles. None of us are throwing over sixty six linemen, you know, none of us are. So you got to be able to throw around and change, uh, different arm angles as the pocket you know collapses on here changes uh.
Speaker 2: Philip is the head coach at Saint Michael Catholic High School in Fair Hope, Alabama. How would you assess the Chargers this upcoming season with Jim Harbaugh.
Speaker 13: I'm interested to see them. You know, they made some made some additions in the off season. You know, they got a lot of good young offensive linemen. Obviously Derwin James still kind of the captain over there on that defensive side. And Justin Herbert is, you know, a heck of a player, a heck of a player. They they nailed, they nailed that pick. It was the timing of me to move on and then to get one. They got a good one. They got a good one. So uh excited to see to see them this year. Certainly, I still pull for the Chargers. I pulled for the.
Speaker 6: Colts uh one year there.
Speaker 13: But then also one of my closest coach friends, Shane Stiken, as the head coach there, and then I pulled for the Eagles, Sirianni being there. Coach Sirianni was I was with him a long time with the Chargers as well. So you find yourself pulling for either coaches you were with or teammates you know that are either at the at the at the team you were on, or either there's somewhere else. You know, you pull for them. On Sundays and we still watch, We still watch watch all day. We go to maths on Sunday morning, and uh, we have games on every TV.
Speaker 4: We can find your longest career run.
Speaker 13: Last career run, I probably I don't know. I know y'all got the stats and there, Fritzy, what is eleven yards?
Speaker 4: You know it's eighteen.
Speaker 6: Eighteen eighteen yard run.
Speaker 13: My favorite run was against the Ravens and playoff divisional round playoff game.
Speaker 6: A third down and I.
Speaker 13: Kind of got out of there and uh got a big first down and UH was able to kind of do the first down sign. You know that you see all the watouts and backs get to do.
Speaker 6: I felt I felt like a really I felt like a real athlete. I felt like a real athlete.
Speaker 13: My teammates Keenan Allen, he was miked up on that play and you can hear him saying.
Speaker 6: Do it, do it?
Speaker 15: Do it?
Speaker 6: You know he was like he was like proud of me, Like I was actually gonna do a little.
Speaker 4: Something like a parent watching their kids take their first step.
Speaker 6: Ye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But was there somebody slower than you in the NFL at quarterback?
Speaker 6: I believe I could outrun Peyton and Brady.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, but that still makes you slow though it.
Speaker 6: Does definitely definitely wasn't fast.
Speaker 4: Roethlisberger Ben could run a.
Speaker 6: Little better than me.
Speaker 13: Maybe as we got, you know, as he got later in his career, maybe, but no, Ben could run. See Ben, Ben was one of those, uh you know, the throwback quarterback that could run, you know, and he wasn't gonna run for seventy but he had a he had an ability to es capability in the pocket that was that was unique. I think that certainly helped his his game and why he had a lot of success.
Speaker 2: If Michael Vick and you ran a forty yard dash.
Speaker 13: That may be one of the fastest men I've ever seen on a football field. We were at the Falcons in two thousand and five, I believe it was four or five.
Speaker 6: I wasn't playing. Drew was the starter.
Speaker 13: I was backing up, and he scrambled left down our sideline and scored and scored with it.
Speaker 6: And ran through the tunnel. And I just remember going, that's that's just not fair. That's not fair that he can run like that and thrown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me know, if you retire again, we'll have you back on. But if not, good luck with the upcoming high school season.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it.
Speaker 13: Dan, And hey, hey, Frintz, you said I probably did complain and whine, But what made you so mad as we were beating their tail a lot of times.
Speaker 14: That's man, that's part of the reason why I was upset with you beat the Broncos to much.
Speaker 5: Very right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take that, Todd. Yeah, that's map very impressive. Thank you, beg you Philip.
Speaker 6: Appreciate you guys.
Speaker 2: That's Philip Rivers. That's talking trash. That's so good.
Speaker 4: Take that, Oh Todd, your face.
Speaker 2: When I brought you what you're like?
Speaker 1: I never said that.
Speaker 4: You bring up Philip Rivers whining all the time.
Speaker 14: True, And he has a good point because a lot of times he would kick the Broncos button.
Speaker 12: That makes you frustrated and angry.
Speaker 16: Yes, Paulie, this just into the I Team Philip Rivers career versus the Broncos thirteen and sixteen.
Speaker 4: Ritzy Todd, that was your You gold have returned for share.
Speaker 6: I didn't.
Speaker 14: I should have done a little research while he was doing his kind trash talk to me under five hundred against Denver.
Speaker 2: But imagine if somebody is going to trash talk you but they don't curse, Yeah, like it would it would sound weird, like dad, gummt you you're.
Speaker 4: Gonna get it. I We're gonna score on you.
Speaker 12: Gee will face mask.
Speaker 4: How did you miss that?
Speaker 12: Kicking your tails for Gollie g How did you not call it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 12: Crying out loud?
Speaker 2: It's it's kind of like that scene and back to the future when Michael J. Fox's dad is yelling at Biff, Hey, you Biff, you get your hands off her? All right, let me take a break. Last call for phone calls what we learned? Watch in store tomorrow right after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Fun Day Today, Ritchie did a great justin Herbert, Philip Rivers, c C. Sabathia telling stories. That's what this job is all about. Get out of the way and let them tell stories. Alan and Charleston. Hey Alan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Thanks Dan? Yeah, Todd, I'm an old man at seventy seven. I agree with you.
Speaker 4: Oh we got a bad connection?
Speaker 12: Doesn't happened when?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 2: Interesting that happened yesterday. Somebody's gonna say something nice about you. Yeah, bad connection.
Speaker 12: I have to agree with Tom.
Speaker 17: Yes, see, why don't we make up for it thing, because you're right, Dan Todd did do such a great job today.
Speaker 4: Todd, who do you have lined up for tomorrow?
Speaker 12: Lewis Riddick joins us tomorrow and working on a few other things.
Speaker 4: All right, Okay, every day this is a super Bowl. It is okay, every single day, every single day.
Speaker 16: Some days it's the Patriots super Bowl.
Speaker 5: That's fair.
Speaker 17: Once in a while, yeah, Tuesday in the middle of summer. Yeah, get a Hall of Fame and do that, ton.
Speaker 12: I know. Sometimes it's a flag football game. We just got to get out of it.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 4: Jimmy and Chicago. Hi, Jimmy, what's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 18: Then a great job on family Feud. I just wanted to say the during the Fast Money, the first question they asked you how many fingers? I'm not holding up. I just thought that was bizarre. I just never heard them. I'm asked that before and out of the danis, who would you say is the best Uh, it's the best actor.
Speaker 4: Mc mclovin included the best actor. Oh wow.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I've seen the full scope of their acting abilities.
Speaker 4: At least I hope I haven't their range.
Speaker 17: Yes, see Marvin X like he likes us every day and he's pretty convincing.
Speaker 2: That's okay. I'm gonna give you a bloop on that one. All right, So Marvin, I guess you're the best actor.
Speaker 17: He acts like he likes this.
Speaker 4: You see how I'm faking this, laught no Seatan's got the fake laugh.
Speaker 17: I have heal in Tahoe that somebody held a camera up in my face and they're like, do it?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 12: Do what?
Speaker 2: They're like your laugh? Like Tyler in Utah? Hi, Tyler, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 15: Hey Dan, thanks for calling me back five ten two hundred. Just wanted to touch on your Paul wardrobe as you're prepping for the WATS Vegas Grand Prix. Maybe called Bob in Montana. Get the Elvis stoop, bring that back then tell them they don't really have to worry about it. Every race, I'm a photographer. I work with F one, been taking pictures and races for a long time. Every race kind of has its own style. Miami kind of feels like that old miss Tailgate Vegas more frat, you know, styles they can kind of get away with. Maybe some the jeans and a polo, things like that. Maybe pick a team gets some apparel.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you Tyler for the heads up. Yeah, I'm making plans to take the show to Vegas for the Formula one race, and I don't know if we'll be invited to any of these parties, but I want to make sure that we bring the proper clothes so we kind of, you know, we fit in. We're part of the scenery, We're part of the beautiful people that show up for Formula one. Brian joins us on the program. Good morning, Brian, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Hey five, Dan, I just want to give you some historical context what you were saying about Michael Phelps, because you're exactly right. So, in the twenties and thirties, the United States had thousands upon thousands of public swimming pools, some of the largest numbers in the developed world, and after segregation ended, a lot of cities decided just to fill in their public pools as to not give in to the law.
Speaker 4: So you're exactly right.
Speaker 8: Generations missed out on knowing how to swim and having that opportunity to do so, So you are exactly right. I just want to give a quick shout out. I lost my Grandma last night, ninety two years old, Shirley Huge Buckspan her entire life so special. Shout out to her, and even with a special shout out as a lifelong Denver Broncos. And I'll end it with this suck at Philip Rivers.
Speaker 2: All right, Yeah, I think it's I think it's a cool thing though the Ravens are doing and Michael Phelps is going to do and helping some of these players that they might not they may maybe they never learned to swim, and now you get that opportunity with the Ravens.
Speaker 4: They got a swimming pool.
Speaker 2: Michael Phelps says, Hey, I'll teach anybody who wants to swim. And I think it's pretty cool. Alan, and Charleston is back Alan, hopefully a better connection. Yeah you hear me, Dan, Yes, I hear you.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 7: All right, let me just say to Todd that I like I said. I'll I'm a seventy seventy year old man, and I agree with.
Speaker 4: Him when I think we got a bad connection. Alan, let him talk.
Speaker 6: Let the man speak.
Speaker 12: He's got something to say.
Speaker 4: All right, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 7: He's right there with Springsteen and the Beatles. I mean, even I remember in Vietnam and sixty nine, you didn't hear the Beatles very much. It was the Stones and everybody else. So I don't get it, Todd. So hang in there, brother.
Speaker 12: Thank you? Wow said we needed to be said.
Speaker 4: Yes, I just I can't help you.
Speaker 12: I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't, and I can say that about a lot of things with you, but when it comes to music, I can't help you. Although Hollan Notes and Billy Joel are a great artist, and I enjoy both of those artists, but to just disregard Springsteen and the Beatles is just it's ignorant.
Speaker 4: I said it. I said what happened, Yes I did.
Speaker 12: The problem is I don't But you got that something. You got the ear for it.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: You don't have the voice for it.
Speaker 14: Oh wow, yeah, sneaking four minutes the show?
Speaker 4: How's that feel?
Speaker 7: You're now?
Speaker 4: You are the whiner.
Speaker 17: Okay, biggest whiner in the bunch, Todd, not even close.
Speaker 14: I wish I would have had Paul Stout of the thirteen and sixteen record against the Broncos that Rivers had what he You probably didn't like my whining when I was.
Speaker 2: Beating up Why wouldn't you look at I shared a record of Philip Rivers, who you disliked because he whined when he faced the Bronx.
Speaker 14: Was a big mistake. It was a total whiff by me because I would have had that ready to roll. But he said, are we beat up on your brother? Thirteen sixt beating?
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 4: The next time he announced his retirement.
Speaker 2: Wow, then Dan, you hit him with the thirteen sixteen record.
Speaker 12: I got it in my back pocket ready to roll.
Speaker 4: Scott in Tennessee, Hi Scott, Hey.
Speaker 19: You mister Patrick, Dan, and how y'all doing today?
Speaker 7: Great?
Speaker 19: Hey, family feud. I actually washed it the other night when it was on, and the previous caller ship three fingers. I mean we hear that all the time, right, you get a concussion, you get knocked out, I mean fingers I'm holding up right, and so three would have been my answer. But y'all did great on the show. Enjoyed watching you on that and listening to you.
Speaker 7: Hey, Dan, I know.
Speaker 19: That with the packet. Pat McAfee show was in Pittsburgh yesterday. I'm being an off long Steeler fan. Uh, you know, the fan base irritates me somewhat because the expectations is we want one playoff victory and we're satisfied.
Speaker 7: That's bs I want. I want a super Bowl. We live in Super Bowl trophies, right, so you know that's.
Speaker 19: That's my expectation every year. But talking about the old roster, we have twelve picks next year, and everybody says, well, the Steeler's going to draft a quarterback next year, Well, hold the forward on that. I think we have Will Howard. I'm hearing great things about him. He's big Ben size, and you know it's not two point zero. We don't know that. But why worry about the quarterback next year when you I think we have one in house. We're older, We're going to get younger through the draft, and I think Tomlin will get us to this. And my expectations the minimum is vasty championship game. But we have the talent to compete with anybody.
Speaker 2: I agree that you shouldn't be thinking about let's get a better than five hundred record and let's get a playoff win. You're the Steelers. You should be thinking about championships. Yes, Marvin, the Steelers playoff. This is their longest playoff drought in the Super Bowl era. Yeah, like, what's that twenty seventeen. That's not good.
Speaker 16: Thank you, Marvin. This stay in sports history. Paul nineteen thirty two. Dan Enzo Ferrari retired from racing in nineteen fifty started a car company.
Speaker 4: Called Ferrari's Right. I can't get that past anybody.
Speaker 16: Nineteen eighty one to seven week baseball player strike came to the end.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There are seven players in baseball history to have hit two inside the park home runs in the same game. This guy did it in nineteen seventy two, and I never would have thought that he would have the speed to have two inside the park home runs, and he hit both of them off Bert Blyleven Dick Allen hit two inside the park home runs in the same game. Seven players in history have done that. On this day to No. Seven, Kevin Garnett traded from Minnesota to the Boston Celtics. Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliffe and two first round draft picks who won that dre Let's shut that out, I said, snot come out of my nose there, Okay, Yeah, Snott is running down his.
Speaker 4: Todd What did I learn today?
Speaker 14: Justin Herbert says, Coach Harbor goes into the ice tub to maximize the recovery.
Speaker 12: They just don't tub together.
Speaker 2: For over forty years, tire Reck's been helping customers find the right tires for Hollendodden where you drive ship fast and freeback by, free road hazard protection, convenient installation on options tire rack dot com. The way tire buying should be. Oh, I'm tired. We're going to do it again tomorrow because every day is a super Bowl. Have a great day.