Speaker 1: Hey, this is Stephen Fernick.
Speaker 2: I'm the pastor of Elevation Church and this is our podcast. Be sure to subscribe so we can get you these new sermons every week. I hope you're blessed today.
Speaker 1: It's good to be in church on a Sunday. Are you glad to be in the house of God Elevation Amen across every location, even at home. I know you just tore up your bathroom, your living room, praise and you can sit down. I am elated and excited to be back at Elevation Church. My name is Robert Madou and I am not a guest here. I am for real a part of the fam. I hope you know that I have the privilege with my wife, a pastor and a church in the great country of Texas called Social Dallas. And I love my I love my church. But if they ever start tripping, they have a get sick of me. I know why I'm moving. I'm coming straight to Charlotte and I'm just gonna get on staff here at Elevation So Social Tallas fam, Y'll better treat me right, treat my wife Taylor right. But it is such an honor to be here. I love this house. And I love your pastors. I love Pastor Stephen, I love Pastor Holly. They are dear friends to my wife. And I a you know, I said that about my church treating me right. I hope y'all treat your pastors right. So I mean, they're filling up arenas, and there's a lot of cities, a lot of countries that would love to have them. And I'm just in this season, especially now, where I don't want familiarity to rob me of appreciation. Sometimes often the greater the gift God has given you, it's easy to take it for granted. And I pray that is not the story of this church. I pray you always honor, salute, and celebrate and church the gift God has given you in the life of Pastor Stephen. And how so can we just give them just some honor? Come on, let them know we're covering you, We're playing for you. Elevation nights, come on on, packing out of readers all over the nation, and we got your coming here at home. And it's good to have an elevation morning. I'm excited to preach the word of God. I hope you're ready to hear it. Are you ready to hear it. I want to jump straight into it today. I want you to go with me to the Gospel of John today, the Gospel of John. If you don't mind, can we stand to honor the reading of God's word? Is this cool?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You just sat down and got comfortable, But come on, you war those shoes trying to be cute should put some comfortable shoes on the elevation church. I want you to go with me to the Gospel of John chapter number five, and I want to look at verses one through fifteen. John chapter five start at verse number one, and we'll land at verse number fifteen. When you're ready to read it, say yeah. If you need some time to find John, say hold up. I heard one hold up right here in this section, and I'm gonna wait for you. I'mna wait for you across every location. E family love you. John Chapter five will start at verse number one and it declares afterward, Jesus returned to Jerusalem for one of the Jewish holy Days, and inside the city, near the sheep Gate was the pull of Bethesda with five covered porches, crowds of sick people, blind, lame, or paralyzed, lay on the porches and one of the men lying there had been sick for thirty eight years. When Jesus saw him and knew he had been ill for a long time, he asked him who the answer is? Asking a question. I want to fall before I even ask where Jesus asked. And this is what I wish the Bible could give us, facial expression and vocal intonation. Don't you just we're just like just on the Bible app If you could just pop up, we could actually see Jesus' face and maybe hear his vocal intonation how he asked this, Because there's really two different ways to ask this question. You know, you could he could have said, do you want to get well? That's an option. That's an option. And I don't know if you ever felt like that, he ever felt like God, he just just annoyed with you, just a little bit, like how long is it going to take you to get yourself together? So do you want to get well? That's an option. Then again, I can't imagine the creator of the universe being annoyed with what he created. So maybe he had a different facial expression, a different vocal intonation. Maybe the facial expression of a chick fil a worker, just like, do you want to get well? Because you know I can do that, right my pleasure, I can do it. I can do it. Maybe that's the way he asked it. But look at this man's reply. I can't, sir, I can, for I have no one to put me in the pool. When the water bubbles up, someone else always gets there ahead of me. Jesus told him, stand up, pick up your man, and walk. Instantly, the man was healed, rolled up his sleeping mat and began walking. This miracle happened on the Sabbath. So the Jewish leaders objected. Of course they did, and they said to the man who was cured, you can't work on the sabbath. The law doesn't allow you to carry that sleeping mat. But he replied, the man who healed me told me pick up your man.
Speaker 3: And all.
Speaker 1: Who said such a thing as that they demanded the man didn't know. In the funny, you can be shouting about stuff you don't even know. But Jesus disappeared into the crowd. But afterward Jesus found him at the temple and told him, now you are well, so stop sinning, or something even worse may happen to you. Then the man went and told the Jewish leaders that it was Jesus who had healed him. Can you say, amen, oh that's good stuff. Elevation fam. I want to appreciate to you today as always, not long, probably about four and a half hours just using this as a title today. Lame excuses, lame excuses. Look at your neighbor for the last time, right in their face, and say, neighbor, it's time for you to stop with the lame excuses. Come on across every location. If you believe God's gonna speak, would you give him some praise and advance. Come on, I meet him for real. Get up and take your mat and walk. Praise Father, have your way, speak to our hearts today in Jesus' name. Amen, you may be seated in the presence of the Lord. Lame excuses, elevation Fam. It's crazy how much I can personally relate to this man who is in our techs today. Not because I've been lame for thirty eight years, but I have been alive for thirty eight years. Matter of fact, this June I turned thirty nine. Turn thirty nine. Oh yes, forty is coming, y'all. Forty, it is coming on you board. You know they say that in your twenties you are obsessed with what other people think about you. In your forties, you stop caring what other people think about you, and then in your sixties you realize wasn't nobody thinking about you anyway. So so I'm about to enter the stage of my forties world. I just I don't care what you think about me. That's what I'm entered in. And don't don't get me wrong. I want to grow. I don't want to be rude. I want to get better. But I'm just in the season of life where I know my strengths, I know my weaknesses, I know what I'm good at, I know my deficiencies, I know my idiosyncrasies. I mean, I know what I can do and I know what I can't do. Like I can't do math, I don't do numbers. My eight year old daughar, beautiful baby girl, Evy, she asked me to help me with her basic math homework the other day. I said no. I said no, said, sweetheart, Daddy is a communicator, not a calculator. You're gonna have to do this through this on your own. I don't do math. I don't do numbers.
Speaker 3: Yo.
Speaker 1: I don't cook. I don't cook. I cannot cook anything. You know how some men think that, like masculinity is synonymous with grilling. I am not that dude. Okay, I don't cook. I don't grill. Okay, I make reservations. That's what I do, and I'm cool with that. It is what it is. I know my strains, and he says, yo, I also know that I'm not good at texting people back. I know, I know. I know that's the cardinal unforgivable sin in this day and age in which we live. I am so sorry. I have a phone full of text messages that I have responded to in my head, but it just hadn't got to my fingertips yet. Okay, give me some grace. Okay, don't even ask me, I did you get the text? Of course I got it, you know I got it. Just give me some time to respond. Okay. I got a wife, I got three kids, I got a church. We got a pet dog in these delivering a squirrel, and give me pis. I got stuff going on. I get to it when I get to it. It's just hard. And I'm telling I've learned that people don't like it when you don't respond to they tecks. They don't care what excuse you have. Matter of fact, you ever tax somebody, If you ever tax somebody, and all of a sudden you saw them start to reply, and you see the little bubbles and then it just disappears. Oh, your mind just starts jumping to all these stories about what they could have done, what they could have said. Oh, I'm telling you, I have all kinds of excuses for why I didn't get back to your text message. But no matter what I give, it always feels like a lame excuse. You ever given a lame excuse? Lame excuse? Why you were late for work? Really is traffic every day? You ever given just a lame excuse? Lame excuses are interesting because lame excuses, we think, exonerate us from our responsibility. If we didn't, we wouldn't give the lame excuse. We in our minds think that that lame excuse actually exonerates us from the responsibility or the thing that we were supposed to do. And I came to tell you that it doesn't. You still have a responsibility. As a matter of fact, I think the greatest gift God has ever given humanity is responsibility. Response, response ability, the ability to respond that God is looking for your ability to respond to the call to the purpose, to the mandate he is put on your life, and He is not interested in your lame excuse. But isn't it crazy the lame excuses that we give God. As a matter of fact, your Bible is full. It is a repleat of examples of people giving lame excuses, especially when God tells them their purpose. Moses, go tell Pharoh, let my people go.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 1: You know what, I can't talk. Lame excuse, Kitty, You are a mighty voy you no, you understand God. I'm the least in my family. I can't really those things like that. Lame excuse. Mary, the Holy Spirit's gonna overshadow you. You're gonna give birth to the son of the Living God where I don't even know, Joseph like that, how is that going? Lame? Lame excuse? You laughing? But I'm wondering, what lame excuse are you giving God, God right now for why you haven't stepped into the fullness of your purpose? What lame excuse are you telling him? Thinking that that excuse exonerates you from the responsibility. In my text today, we don't just run into a lame man. We run into a man who has a lame excuse. And for thirty eight years, y'all, thirty eight years, as long as your boy has been living, this man has been lame. Before you start judging people's lame excuse, maybe check the environment from which the excuse came, because I think lame excuses are birth from lame environments. Think about this man for thirty eight years. We don't even know when this lameness occurred, whether he's just been by the pool for thirty eight years, but either way you put it, for a long time, this man has been stuck in one position, not being able to move. You understand, during this time period, there are no home rounds, there are no wheelchairs. You would stay in one position. Anytime you wanted to move somewhere, you had to do it yourself. And if you didn't do it yourself, you were dependent on other people around you to say, hey, could you help me? Hey, I actually want to move over there, could you help me get up? No wonder When he responds to Jesus, the first words out of his mouth were I can't. I don't have anybody to help me. There's nobody that can put me in. It's easy to judge people's excuses if you don't know their environment. What else does he have to rely on? There's nobody else to pick him up because his entire life he's learned to be dependent upon other people. And how sometimes even your physicality will affect your psychology. When you're lame, all you have to talk to is other lame people. What you're gonna do today? Man probably lay here. I'll stake of the same thought. It affects your conversations, or you have his lame conversations. You don't talk to people who are up, you talk to people who are down. This is the challenge of being lame. It affects your ability to work. This man couldn't find a job. What do you do? What a job do you apply for? He's even having to beg probably just to get something, and he's laying there. And I think so often we judge people's lameness, and we judge their excuses without even taking the time to at least see the environment from which the lame excuse came. At least check the environment. This man was lame for thirty eight years. Not only is he in his environment, but let's look at the environment and which he is surrounding. The Bible says that there was a pool. There was a pool that the bethesda means house of mercy, but it may as well be a house of misery, because if you see this scene, there are broken people everywhere. In fact, the Bible says a crowd. Another version of says a multitude. The only place we see multitude and others in the Gospels is really the feeding of the fish in the Five blows. This is not a few people. There's a lot of people. This is a multitude of sick people. And some are blind, and some are lame, and some are missing arms, and some are missing eyes. Here's one thing about this whole environment of the people a by the pool. They're all broken. It's not a single person by the pool that has it going on. It's not a single person by the pool that has it all put together. Everybody at the pool is broken in some area. There's some people that had some legs, and some people that didn't have arms, and some people that had eyes, people that could hear. But no matter where they were, everybody had some area of brokenness by the pool. I'm going the paus right here since we had the pool, and let you know that every single person has some area of brokenness. I know you can't see it because it's Sunday and they got their good shirt on and all that Mary Kay and Mac makeup. But I'm telling you they are not showing it well. They are hiding their brokenness. All of us have some area of brokenness. And I wish, just for once, if we could have some people that would put away the pretense and be honest and say, I don't have it all together. I'm not really living how I'm posting. There are still some areas of brokenness in my life. As a matter of fact, you ought to thank God for some of those areas of brokenness, because some of us wouldn't pray if we didn't have brokenness. Some of us wouldn't cry out to God if we didn't have brokenness. But there's something about being broken. There's something that knowing that you're afrail that actually makes you cry out to God. I need you in this area. Everybody at the pool, who ever, the whole spot full of broken people. I wish I could see their Instagram and they TikTok because you know, they didn't post what was broken, they posted what was whole. The lame person just posting his arms like yeah, I do up a body, no lower body, man, just up a body. Person that's blind, got sunglasses on so you don't see it. They just yeah, man, I'm cold. Can't see the comments of the likes, but they just posted. Isn't it funny how we like to show the good parts we hide our brokenness. But everybody at the pool was broken, and everybody at the pool had a belief system, and the belief system was that whenever the water would bubble, they believed that an angel would stir the waters, that every time the water would bubble, the first person to get in would get the healing. This is the belief system of the broken people that you gotta be first, that the first person is the one that's going to get the blessing. And so I gotta fight and I gotta do whatever I can to be first. This is our generation. No wonder. All of us are fighting for attention, No wonder. All of us are fighting for people to validate us and look at us. Because we all think if I could just be the first one to get in. Now'll be the one that gets the breakthrough. I'll be the one that gets the blessing. It's a generation of lame. As a matter of fact, to me, that's what lame stands for. Lame la m e who look at me? Everybody. You want to see a lame life. Look at a person who has put themselves in the center of their world, and they're saying, look at me, everybody, as long as I can be first to get in. And I can see this man. I don't know who dropped him off at the pool that day, but I wholeheartedly and earnestly believe that the day he was first dropped at the pool, he actually had excitement that he was gonna get healed. Oh I can see him. I can see the first day he was dropped by the pool. He's like, Oh, I'm gonna get my breakthrough today. I'll see you over there. Don't think you're gonna beat me. As soon as that water bubbles up, I'm gonna be the first one in there. And he was going with all the night and the tenacity he could find. Come on. You know how it is when you first start coming to church and you start praising you how it used to be when you first came to elevation. So you'd be like, oh, when they're gonna start, man, I tell you what, go out, Thank God, let's go. You don't see them people, It's like, oh heaven, you can tell you just started coming, didn't you? You knew you knew to this set? Howe right? You need to get it together and don't take all that Oh. I think when he first got to the pool, he was excited. He couldn't wait. He's like, I'm gonna be I'm gonna be the first one in that water. I'm gonna get my heel and I'm gonna get my breakthrough im and get everything I need. But year after year of disappointment, year after year of not getting to the water, year after year of people stepping over you and getting in front of you. How mean you know, after a while, thirty eight years, you start saying, maybe I'll never get the healing. Maybe maybe I'll stop trying to even go to the water. I think after thirty eight years, you stop chasing to the pool and you just start relaxing on the porch. You ever been on the porch? The porch is when you have gotten to the place where you say it hurts to hope again, it hurts to believe it. It is what it is. I guess I'll never have a good marriage. It is what it is. I guess I'll never get out of dead. It is what it is. I guess my kids will never never be set free. It is what it is. After a while, when you've been hoping and believing for so long and you've had so many disappointments, it is easy to relax on the porch and not even fight to get in the stirring of the water again. It is easy to chill on the porch because at least the porch has shade and I'm covered. You haven't seen people just sitting on the porch and some houses they giving up on life and they just sitting on the porch. Just watch knock her down, Miss Johnson. Get some new grass. Yeah, they s some new ground. Okay, just watching everybody else. Guess how some people come to church. They're in the room, they're just on the porch. We look at him, Yeah he'll learn.
Speaker 4: Yeah he's shouting the past the thieves message.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I used to shout like that too, But now my right toe hurts. Now I just sit down. Now they know my heart, they know my heart. I just say a man on my heart. I just that this is what it is. This says what it is.
Speaker 1: And he resolves to the porch, and he's given up, and he probably stopped looking at the pool, and he probably just kept looking up in the air, not even looking for a miracle anymore. But here's what I love about the story of this man. This man has proved positive that even in life, when you've gotten to the porch and you don't even want to fight for the pool, and you feel like giving up and thrown in the towel, and you can't even believe again, and you can't even hope again, even when you're not even looking for a miracle, I'm so glad that a miracle will look for you. I'm so glad that even when we have laid on the porch of life and we don't have any more fight in us and we don't want to hope again, I'm so thankful for a savior that will come after us, that will seek after us. Look at Jesus coming after this man. He didn't even know he was on the radar. He didn't even know he was on the schedule of the Kingdom, Kings and the Lord, the Lord. I don't know who this message is for. Maybe you're at home, but I came to tell you. Even when you've given up and you've lost a hope, God has not given up on you. God will find a way to get to you. God will do whatever it takes to make sure you don't just relinquish to the porch when you've got so much purpose on your life. Look at Jesus coming straight for this man who's been laying by the pool for thirty eight years. Oh, y'all, this message of my theology or my christology. Because understand, there's probably thousands of people at this porch. This is a festival. There's a whole lot of sick people. And Jesus who steps over all these people and come straight to him. Are you sure you want to clap at that? Can you imagine being one of the ones who was laying on the and to watch the King of Kings and the Lord of Lord he steps over him. Still, excuse me, don't watchy'a. Excuse me, no, no, no, no, I came straight for you. He came straight for this man so away with this notion. I only give my healing if I got faith. I'll only get the break through if I got enough faith to believe for it. You know when we feel sometimes like I gotta be like the woman with the issue of blood and press my weight through the prow See you, that's why he didn't get a breakthrough. You didn't have enough faith. Explain homeboy, right here, what faith does this man? He not even expecting it, as he just laying there. All of a sudden he sees the King of Glory going what somebody looking straight at him.
Speaker 3: This is the beauty of grace, This is the beauty.
Speaker 1: Of coming to Jesus. You don't even know to know that you need him. It's not for the work of grace, every healing, every miracle. It is not your merit. It is not your rupture, it is not your good behavior. It is nothing but the grace and the goodness of God. He is the great initiator. Look at Jesus, you tell my God his appointment. Excuse me, not today, not you, not to you, excuse me, excuse me? Coming straight for this man. And he looks at him, and he asked him a question. The answer ask a question. Excuse me, do you want to get well? Before I deal with that question, let me just talk about the questions of Jesus. I know I said he's the answer, asked him the question, and that's what we think. Jesus is the answer. But almost I'm starting to think that Jesus is the question, because Jesus will ask you the question that you don't even know to ask, so he can show you he's the answer. When I studied the Gospels, I'm blown away by how many questions Jesus asked. Your gospels, Jesus asked approximately three hundred and seven questions, three hundred and seven questions. Who he is asked in the Gospels one hundred and eighty three questions. Of those hundred and eighty three, he really only directly answers about eight of them. That's how your God rolls. You come to him with a question, who He'll hit you with a question and two stories you'd been like, wait a minute, what did I ask he told about? Mustard said, I'm confused. What. Oh, I'll tell you. We think he's the answered, but I'm telling you he is the question. Your God was always asking questions and matter of fact, the first words that emanate from the mouth of Jesus as a teenager and the temple was a question. Remember, Mary and Joseph lost them. They lost Jesus. Remember they couldn't find him and they lost them, and they said, hey, were you? We were looking alone for you? Boy? What's wrong with you? It's like, why were you looking for me? Didn't you know? I must be about my father's business. Jesus was always asking questions. He died on the cross with a question, My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? He got up from the grave with a question. Remember how he messed up Mary? She was at the tomb and here's Jesus resurrected, new body, new wardrobe. He's like, excuse me, who are you looking for? He's always asking question, where is your faith? Who do men say that I am? Who told you?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: God is asking questions all the time? Why does he ask questions? Because he wants to send you on a quest. Answers have a finality to it, and we live in a culture that just wants an answer. But you have a God that will give you a question to take you on a journey. Because he's trying to draw you into himself. He's trying to show you who he is, and you can't find that out in a moment. I'm telling you, questions are powerful. Questions will not allow you the luxury of staying on the surface. Questions always force you to go deeper into the deep things. I don't know who this is for, but this is your last year to lift shallow. God said he wants to take you deeper, and sometimes he's going to ask you the tough questions, the questions that you don't want to ask yourself. That's why if you got a good counselor after you sat on the couch and got a good deal at the right moment, they want to hit you with And how does that make you?
Speaker 3: See?
Speaker 1: Because there's something about the question that proves deeper beyond the surface. So he's asking this man, do you want to get well? Do you really want to get well? What is Jesus probing at this question? He wants to know what do you really want? What do you really desire? Because it's obvious to me that you have been at this pool for so long that you started to lose your desire to walk again, You started to lose your hope to walk again. And I'm wondering if there's somebody in here today that you've lost your desire. You stop dreaming, you stop believing, and you've made the final words of somebody who's truly giving up. It is what it is. And God sent me on assignment to tell you to dream again, to believe again, to hope again, to let you know that where you are is not again, that he can still do exceedingly abundantly above all you could ask, think, are imagine you want to get? Well, he's going after his desire. It's interesting the word desire has the word desire in it, and you've studied the etymology, it literally means of the vo of the Father, that desire is of the Father, subliminally suggesting to us that our desires should actually come from our father. This is why the Bible says, delight in the Lord and all your waste, and he will give you the desires of your heart. That's not a verse to just say, oh, he gonna give me whatever I want. Oh yeah, you'll give me the desires of my heart. Come on, y'all have the tesla. Let's come and let's go. No, it's as I delight myself in him. All of a sudden, his heart becomes my heart, and I start to see things the way he sees things, and I'll start wanting what he wants from me. And guess what. He doesn't just want you to walk. He wants you to walk home. He doesn't just want you up on your feet. He wants you up on your feet walking in the fullness of what he has for you. He wants your legs to be an outward sign of the inner wholeness that's on the inside of you. Because what good is it to have your legs restored if your heart is still far from him? What good is it for him to bless the business if you're not going to live a life of generosity and allow your life to be a conduit of generosity to help somebody else. What good is it for him to give you the house if you ain't gonna have nobody over the house and actually shed a gowns with him. You don't invite nobody to your apartment and you want a bigger house. Now, I'm just good by myself. I don't really do people. Okay, he wants he wants you whole. So he says, do you want to get well. He's also trying to get him to understand that when I heal you, you are now going to have to do the work of walking and wholeness. I think we come to church and we shout about the idea of being whole, but the actual work it takes we don't want. Do you want to get well? Because I'm about to hear you and guess what, You're gonna have to walk right into a job because you will have no more excuses once your legs have been here. Who later he will find this man in the temple and he had no clue who it was who healed him, and he actually tells him to stop sinning, and I'm curious what was he doing. I got the strange suspicion that homeboy might have went back to the same environment. Again. That's the challenge of actually getting up and getting whole, because once I get up, I have no more excuses. I have no more trushes. Actually I have no more friends. Who do you hang out with when you've been laying around with the same people for thirty eight years? See? Sometimes God on heal you you to a place where he wants to know are you okay with being whole, but still being by yourself. And as long as you know that I'm your child, as long as you know that I am the one that cares about you. Are you cool with that? Or do you need the camaraderie of other people to validate you? Sometimes you gotta walk by yourself. Say I would rather be by myself at home than to have some people that are benefiting from my brokenness. Who does he hang out with? Who does he talk to? Can you see him going back to the dudes by the port saying, oh, well, look at you.
Speaker 4: I don't know why he walked past me and then it healed you.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you did that was so special. Do you ever see those people that try to get mad just because of the favor and the grace of God that's on your life. And you're trying to tell him I can't explain it. I don't know why. Don't ask me ask him?
Speaker 4: Look at you got your little legs, got your little legs, thank you all that?
Speaker 1: Huh huh? Yeah, No, it's fine, it's fine. I don't know what you're talking about. Man, I had changed all you have changed. Look at you got your little legs, y'all stuck up. I'm not stuck up. I'm just up. You the one that stuck. Don't be mad just because he healed me. Don't be mad just because he delivered me. Don't be mad just because I'm not in that same cycling system of this funk. Do you want to get well? It's hard to do the work of being whole. It's hard to do the work of not just shouting about the idea of freedom, but saying God, I'm now going to trust you for every single step and keep walking and put away the excuses so I can be who you called and created me to be. Look at the person next to you and just just push him a little bit and say no more excuses, lame excuses. It's time to get up. Do you want to get well? Sir? I can't. I don't have anybody to help me. I don't have anybody to pick me up and put me into the water, and somebody always gets ahead of me. Isn't that crazy? He's looking in the face of Jesus and he's talking about the pool. He responds to a savior who asked a simple question, do you want to get well? That's like a yes or no question, but he goes into all these excuses, and in his excuses, he's talking about the pool. When Jesus is from in front of him. Jesus says, do you want to get well? And he's talking about the pool. It's John another one, the Living Water is in front of him, asking him do you want to get well? And he's talking about the pool. I'm wondering, are you talking about something that is peripheral to what is really important? When Jesus is right there in front of you, saying, now that I am here, the pool is no longer necessary. You need to look at me. I am the living Water. I am every single thing that you need. What I show up in your situation. Stop talking about the pool and all your excuses and start running after me. You don't need the pool anymore because I'm here. Oh I want to talk to somebody that's got all kinds of excuses about why you can't do something. Oh I'm too black, Oh I'm too white. Oh I'm too old. Oh I'm to this, Oh I'm to that. No no, no, no. As long as Jesus is with young, as he's standing right there in front of you, you got everything that you need. Why are you talking about the pool when the living water is right in front of you. So many times we put our hopes and dreams in past experiences and the way we thought it should go, that we're still looking at the pool when the Savior is right in front of us. We still coming to church thinking it's just another service, not knowing this could be the day where that stronghold of depression and anxiety is broken off of your life and nobody even has to lay a hand on you. But even as you stand there and lift up your hands in a worship, it can fall off of your life today. Why are you waiting for the future when he's right in front of you.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't want to spend my life talking about what maybe then, or maybe later, or maybe the pool when.
Speaker 1: He is right there in front of me, Go on, what do you need? I love it because Jesus literally interrupts him. The Greek is crazy, it's abrupt. He says, get up, take up your mat, and wall I like that. He literally interrupts him and actually suggested in real language that if Jesus had not interrupted him, he would have kept on talking about all the excuses. Well, I have nobody to put me in the pulley. You don't understand what happened to me.
Speaker 4: When I was in Chiwn, I had this happened, and nobody have revalidated.
Speaker 1: Man, take your mad and walk. I feel like that's what God sent me to interrupt somebody that has all kinds of excuses and say, this is your day, diet, take your mad and walk. I know you got all kinds of reasons why it can't happen to you and why you feel like you can't do this or can't do that. But God sent this chocolate brother from Dallas, Texas to look you right in your face and say, get up, take up your mat and walk. This is your day to get up from living this level and rise up into all that God has called you to be. Get up, take your mat and walk out up that. He didn't say, I'm gonna do a six week series on how you can get up. He didn't say I'm on lay hands on you. He said, no, I'm gonna give you a word. And when I speak this word, you need to respond to the word that you heard. Oh who is this for? Somebody needs to respond to this word that I'm creature today and say enough for the excuses. I am who God says I am. I can have what he says I can have. I can step into whatever he wants me to step into. No more lame excuses. Get up, Get up, Get up from the pain of your past, Get up from that worry, Get up from the guilt, get up from the shame. I know it's been a long time. I know it's been so long, and it hurts to hope again. But when the Savior of the universe comes straight to you and ask you a question, throw away all your excuses and tell him what you want. Tell them what you need. Get up. Look at how powerful a command of God is. This man gets up and immediately his legs are strengthen y'all, his muscles have tightened. He didn't have to do any physical therapy. One word was enough for him to get up and start walking. Yo, when I sit on a plane too long, I need to like get a moment to get my But the word of God is so powerful that within the command is every single thing that you need. He didn't tell him take a step here, He did, just say thet's stretch. He said no, no, no, get up. He gets up. He says, oh and take your mad Ooh, can you see him carrying the thing he used to be relying on. I don't know who this is for, but there's things you've been relying on that you're gonna be holding now. He always would tell lame people to take their mat You know why, because anytime somebody sees you holding what you used to be laying on, it is a walking, living, breathing testimony. Matter of fact, there was a set up. He did it on the Sabbath on purpose because he wanted some people to see that man walk here. He wanted people to see him holding the thing that he used to be laying off. I don't know who this is for, but maybe there's something you're ashamed about. But this is the beauty of the grace of God. It's the same thing you've been ashamed about. That God can flip that thing. It'll actually become a testimony of his goodness, my testimony come his grace. So people will look at your life and saying, God can use and heal and set free somebody as broken as you. I know he can't do it for me too. He says, take your man, and he starts walking, walking right into opposition because here comes the religious system saying you can't do that. You gotta be ready for the opposition if you're going to get up from the excuses. And here's the danger. He didn't even know who it was that healed him. This is how I know this is just a soften work of raise. He wasn't even seeking for the healing God sought after him. He didn't even know it was Jesus who did it. Ooh the power of just obedience, of doing what He told you to do. But look at this savior who found him again and said, hey, hey, hey, I'm the one who did it. Stop sinning. You have no more excuses. Your legs a hole. Let those legs be an outward sign of the inner healing that has taking place in your life. I'm gonna ask headsby bowed and osby closed across every location today. I don't know who I came for today, but today's the day to put away the excuses. Enough is enough. Maybe you had your hopes and dreams in the pool. Maybe it was a maybe it was a career, maybe it was life playing out a certain way. But today, in the presence of Jesus, he is here, and he's saying what do you need? What do you want me to do? I'm asking you the question because I'm no longer giving you the opportunity to live your life shallow and on the surface. I want to go deeper so that you can be healed, not just externally, not just with blessing, but from the inside out. Heads are about hours of closed across every location. But if you're here today, and you'd be so honest to say, Pastor Robert, I know there's some excuses I've been making, and I think those excuses exonerate me from the purpose and the call. But today you sense God reminding you that I use earthen vessels, that it was never about you. But I'm a God that seeks after you, and I can use you quit disqualifying yourself. His strength is made perfect in your weakness. But just as a sign across every campus to say, hey, if I know what that excuse is that today I'm putting the lame excuse to the side, God, I'm gonna step into what you have for me. Would you just lift up your hand as a sign to say this for me, this for me? Yeah, yeah, thank you God, you know what that thing is. Thank you Jesus, I see those hands. Thank you God, you can put it right back down. I want to be real specific. If you're here watching online and you've never taken that first step, which to say, Jesus, my life is yours, maybe you made all the excuses. All church people are this and that. Can I tell you there are no perfect churches. And if you found the perfect church, as soon as you got there, you would ruin it because we're all broken. I'm telling you we all have areas, some area of brokenness. This is not a community of perfected people. It is a community of the redeemed. The redeemed. So what heads about in ours closed? If you've never surrendered your life to Jesus, I wouldn't love to give you that opportunity. Across every campus, even at home. God's presence knows no limits. If that's you today, say Pastor Robert, would you include me in this closing prayer? I need to give Jesus My life is so simple. Confess with your mouth and believe in your heart that Jesus Christ is Lord, that God raised him from the dead. If that's you, would you lift up your hand high enough and long enough to where I could see it. Yeah, thank you God, Thank you Lord. Anybody else thank you Lord. Yeah yeah. You don't have to clean yourself up to come to him. You come to him just as you are anybody else. Thank you. Jesus. Come on, can we pray this prayer as one big family? Come on across every location? Can we pray this? Say Dear Jesus, I need you. I cannot do life without you. Jesus, Thank you so much for living the life that I was supposed to live, for dying the death that I was supposed to die. You took my place. So my response is to give you everything. Forgive me of my sin, make me brand new. From this moment forward, I'm walking with you in Jesus' name, A man a man, A man, a man a man. Come on, if you meant what you prayed, Come on, can we all collectively just give King Jesus that be'st praise, that you're God. Oh, come on, give them some praise. I can see yourself getting up tard you're mad. No more excuses. I'm walking into what he has told me. God, bless you. Elevation.
Speaker 2: Hey, I hope you enjoyed the podcast, and if you did, make sure to share it and subscribe so we can get you all of these new messages as soon as they're available. I also want to take a moment and thank all of you who are a part of Elevation. Whether you support us financially, or serve with us, or just share these messages, it's because of you that we're able to reach people all around the world. And if you want more information on how to be a part of Elevation, click the link in the description. Thanks again for listening. Make sure to leave a review, share the message, and subscribe. God bless you.