Speaker 1: Man, what's hand him?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: You got Marshaan Bismall Lynch, Doug.
Speaker 3: Hendrickson and Gavin Newsome and you're listening to politics.
Speaker 2: You're to be, you're known to be.
Speaker 3: Hey, Marshawn and Doug. You know we got up next. We got another Doug.
Speaker 1: Doug. How many Dougs are out there?
Speaker 4: There's not many dogs?
Speaker 2: What dog do? Yeah?
Speaker 3: We got the second gentleman. I'm just telling you there's never been a second gentleman in history. The man who's making history but is about to make real history is the first, the only first gentleman the United States of America. Doug Ama, Hello.
Speaker 2: Governor, what's going on? Buddy? Happy belady? Birthday? Man?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Well, happy birthday? Is this? I think today's your official birthday? Right?
Speaker 2: Want to talk about the age? It's too much man?
Speaker 4: Uh well, Doug, you're my name second. Thankful I don't hear him anywhere dougs anymore. So thank god you're a Doug because I am any new young Dougs.
Speaker 2: I feel like we should have met somewhere along the way.
Speaker 1: By the way, Are there is that a trend? Is there not?
Speaker 3: Is the second gentleman? Are you inspiring? Legions of parents.
Speaker 1: To name their sons, Doug, have you seen any evidence of that?
Speaker 2: I meet so few and that when I do, it's literally like, hey man, we got to stick together us dougs because there's so few of us.
Speaker 1: There's that you're feeling a little insecure. There is no dougs.
Speaker 4: I don't need dougs anymore.
Speaker 1: Is that right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: My god?
Speaker 1: All right, Doug, I got one. I got the real question.
Speaker 3: The tough question is it, you know, Martin Short or Andy Samberg? Which one tell the truth? I don't need any politician I want. I want an honest response.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting that Martin Short, who's way older and shorter, but like like he actually got me. It was almost like me. Samberg gets good. It's funny, it's it's not quite me, but some of the lines are are pretty good. And that he's got the hair down. And uh, but I know what Dancy's doing. He's like doing this and it's saying that's the Dougie.
Speaker 3: I'm like, come on, man, when when do you remember, I mean, the first time you were on SNL.
Speaker 1: Come on that that had to be that. That had to be a lot of fun again.
Speaker 3: Call from all your friends, everybody opining how many years ago was that?
Speaker 2: That was?
Speaker 1: Martin Short did the first first one.
Speaker 2: Right, that was I think early on in the in the term. But you know, this is a show I've watched my literally my whole life. It came out and fifty years ago, so I was ten, and this was something we all stayed up for and watched and throughout the week we would literally repeat all the all the things that we'd seen on the show that week, all the iconic skits from way back when, and then so this is an iconic show. And then to see yourself on it, Yeah, the group chats, blow up on that kind of stuff. And now with Sammer coming in, you know, it's it's one of many surreal things that I've experienced in this role.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it.
Speaker 2: But my root offh is really good and she's really like upped her game, you know her well, Gavin, like she came back this time. It's like, wow, she's she's so on it. So that is she's done a really good job.
Speaker 3: And do you guys, I mean, you don't sit around and watch this stuff. You don't have any time.
Speaker 2: I don't want to see her, right now. No, we are like in separate places. Most of the time. We are only focused on the selection. The only thing we talk about right now is how we can win and what do we need to do to make sure that we win the selection. That's it. Not a lot of happy couple time right now. It's just focused determination and if anything is like where are you? Where are you? Okay? When am I going to see you? And then we just try to keep up a little bit and a little bit of you know, a couple discussion, talk about kids, maybe her grand nieces, and then it's just really, what do we got to do? What are you hearing out there there? I'm all over the country, So I'll just give her notes from the field, and then we just try to use that to get the word out.
Speaker 4: I love you of a badass woman. So people my clients used to tell me, said, Doug, let me get this straight. Your wife's the CPA, your wife's an attorney, and your wife makes more money than you. I said, yes she does, and I'm very happy about it. So I love the fact of what she's done and what you've done. And it's a cool thing because it's something to be applauded in my opinion, and as Marshawn knows, he'd rather call my wife than call me for advice. So we all know where the smarter people lie, and that's your wife and my wife.
Speaker 1: And I would say the governor's wife too.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say go Mary well too. I know Jennifer is amazing. So it's to me it's like an old school thing to support your wife. I mean, I'm ferocially protective of my family, my wife, my kids are big, blended family, and this is just a part of that. I love being an entertainment lawyer. Was good at it, I was successful. I miss it. But when we're there for each other. So when she had this opportunity to get on the Biden Harris ticket, it was a no brainer to support her to be vice president, first woman vice president. And it's also been fulfilling to do this.
Speaker 3: I mean, what you guys have been together has been over a decade now, right, twenty thirteen when you had that blind date.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our ten wedding anniversary was the night of her DNC speech August twenty second, so that was ten years of marriage. We met a couple years before that. So when I met her Gavin. She was just in her first term as Attorney General, and you know, I knew her. I was a lawyer, so I knew her as our attorney general, and she had a pretty incredible reputation as a fearsome prosecutor and attorney general. So I got set up on a blind date during a client meeting. The client happened to be best friends with Kamala Harrers. And by the end of that meeting, I had Kamala Harris's number, and I told the story at the DNC. But that's basically what happened, and ten twelve years later here I am.
Speaker 1: Well, Doug, did you know right away?
Speaker 2: As fuck?
Speaker 4: Was funny when I met my wife. I met her at some party in San Francisco and I'm like, who is this girl? I thought she's from Sweden, some model from Sweden. I just showed up at this party and I go up and talk to her and she's like, where'd you go to school? I said, santrans Estate and she's like, oh, you guys lost to Kentucky in the tournament a couple of years before. I said, oh my god. And then I'm like I'm done. So within thirty seconds, I'm all in. I'm like, I met my wife, called my mom. I said, I met the new one, and she's like, who, And I said, I don't know. All I got is her first name. I know nothing about her, but I'm all in. And I then pursued a little bit and there I am. So did you know right away that she was the one from that first time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was definitely that love at first sight for those old enough to watch the Brady Bunch, you know those Bobby Brady fireworks going off in the background. This was like And we talked on the phone for an hour before the first date, but I picked her up and it just felt like we had been together and we're going to be together. And by the end of that first night, we were literally already talking about the future and all that stuff. So yeah, and we've literally been together ever since that first date. And that's why it's been tough these last couple of months. But we're so used to being together all the time and not being around each other that much. But again, there's too much at stake to worry about that stuff now, and we'll after the election, we'll have time for that, we'll worry about.
Speaker 1: But you I mean ten years ago.
Speaker 3: Seriously, can you ever, I know, can you ever have imagined being in the position yard now? But were there even did you guys even have early conversations twenty fourteen, fifteen sixteen that ever even seeded the possibility that you'd be in the position the two of you that you are right now.
Speaker 2: No, when we when we first met, like I said, she was focused on being attorney general. She was talking about running again for reelection, which she did, and I don't think it was on a posed. And I said, wow, politics is so easy. I didn't remember you had an election. And then when the Senate seat came up, you know, she went for that, and that was you know, I was still working full time. I was in and out. I did a few events here and there, but basically I was not that involved. And that was you know, it was a decision that she made, and it was something that you know, got me to d C and I started coming in to DC Moore professionally. And I think it was the rise of Trump when she decided to run for president in nineteen it's because of Trump, and she and many other dams decided, hey, we got to put our name out there. Somebody's got to be this guy, and it turned out it was her and Joe Biden who did it, and now it's going to be her and Tim Wallace to do it again. But no, Gavin, I you knew me a little bit back then. I was a happy lawyer. It was it was kind of fun to be around politics, but I was every time you and I talked, it was Hey, I'm talking about my legal practice and that's it. So this was something really until she got on the vice presidential ticket where I was thrown into this full time. When I, you know, quote unquote got into politics, and was.
Speaker 1: There did you have an option of not? Did you always? I mean, was it?
Speaker 3: I know there's no there's no rulebook for second gentlemen that didn't come with the gig because it's unprecedented in history. But was there any prospect where you were going to continue to work or you knew when she got sworn in as VP that conflicts and all those issues. You got to commit yourself full time to public service in this role.
Speaker 2: So I didn't. When she got on the ticket, I didn't realize that that was my last day work ever as as a lawyer, which I did not know that at the time. I think once during the transition period after they won the election and before the inauguration, I think for those reasons you stated conflicts and just this is a real gig being second gentleman to support her, but really supporting the administration. Especially. We knew during COVID we all had to get out there to help people get vaccinated, and there was so much work to do. That really was a full time job from the get go. But I didn't realize that at the time when she got that call from Biden, that that was it. That was the last time I do what I love so much. So it was at the beginning it was a tough transition. I was really struggling to figure out the role. And she's the one who said, look, you are the first Jew ever they jump into the anti semitism fight. You're the first guy ever there's gender equity issues, and of course after the DABS decision that became even more so. And then as a lawyer, you know, we need more lawyers doing more pro bono, so I jumped into that as well. So a lot of this was her pushing me to say, hey, look, you got this amazing platform, use it. And then I think the administration saw that I could handle myself, so I would sound like the sixth man off the bench where I just raised my hand, and I traveled the world. I did inaugurations, I led presidential delegations and did all kinds of things I never dreamed I would do in this role. And then I teach part time at Georgetown Law School.
Speaker 4: Hey, Doug, did you trademark second gentlemen? Because obviously we know BSMO here trademark bistmo if I can know six did we trademark that? Or is it too late to trademark that?
Speaker 2: Well, let's see, let me put my business lawyer right more. Sean can't. I can't give legal advice anymore. Sorry, public services.
Speaker 3: But Doug, what I mean just I think you know it goes back to what this Doug was saying earlier, and in this this sort of you know, the being a little bit. You know, you're as second gentleman, this idea, you know, because Kamalus so omnipresent, powerful, prolific, successful, and you had that kind of success, as you said, for decades as an entertainment lawyer yourself to step back, I imagine's not hasn't been easy or is it still difficult I remember? Or now you just you're finding the role sort of hand and glove and you're figuring it out.
Speaker 1: But has it been Was there any friction?
Speaker 3: There was there any issues around your own identity, your own self worth and relationship to someone of her statue.
Speaker 2: Now, I guess one of the things that attracted us to each other was like a merger of equals. Like even when I met her, we really looked at each other as as equals, and we supported each other and you know, grew our careers together. And again when she had this unique opportunity to be vice president of the United States, I had to put that aside because it was more important because of our equal partnership to support her. And yes, at the beginning, it wasn't about being any less of a man or anything like that. It was just because I stopped doing something that I loved so much. I was at the top of my game. I just even talking to you about sports and what you do, Doug and Marshawn and all these things. And I know, Gavin, you're interested in this. You know I miss it. I definitely miss it, but again I follow it. I get to teach it. But An, it's a great trade off because look what I get to do. I get to support her as vice president, hopefully as president, and then I get so much fulfillment in the role substantively. And I've gotten to travel the country, travel the world in a way I never would have been able to do otherwise. So you known, any kind of feelings I had was just about missing what I was doing, not you know, feeling bitter or angry or salty with her anything for oh you took me away from this, It's not not that at all.
Speaker 4: Well, Doug, once we do win, we can then do some boondoggles on Air Force one. We can grab more Sean from the movie sets, and we can go and do some great trips Toga.
Speaker 2: National Fantasy Football Draft Day we're gonna have.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what, Doug, You've been doing fantasy football for what I mean, for as long as we've been a lot with thirty years or something.
Speaker 2: Night so nineteen eight. This league started when I was a UFC law school in nineteen eighty nine. It's basically the same, the same crew. Now most of us have our one or both of our kids involved. So my son Coles, now thirty, has been my partner for nine or ten years, and it's the smack talk. The group chat is off is always good, but now that I'm in this position, you know, it's just the abuse comes in all the time. But it's a great way to stay in touch with my friends and a great way to stay in touch with Cole because of course, last night, you know, we have kid on. I mean, I'm just texting him Kiddle second touchdown and we're just like following our team, and it's bonds us as father and son, and it bonds me to this group of people I've known since the eighties and it's just really fun and it's a great diversion from what's going on in my life right now. So even now last night, I'm like, Okay, that's great. Did you put the picks in for Sunday to make sure that we are competing?
Speaker 1: Well, Doug, you'll love this.
Speaker 4: So my twelve year old son again addicted to fantasy football. I mean, he plays this thing left and right. So a couple sundays ago, my client Rashi Rice gets hurt in the game and so during the game, nobody knows how hurt us. So he's now trying to facilitrate a trade with his buddies, and I'm like, no, no, he's going.
Speaker 1: To be out for the year. You can't trade him. That's like inside Information's.
Speaker 2: Like insider training. There's no insider training in fantasy.
Speaker 1: But they're not going to know.
Speaker 4: I said, well, I know, Kenyon, but like it's kind of do you really want to do that to your friends, Like you know, I know he's probably gonna be out for the year. He's like, well, they won't. It's not out in public yet, so I'm gonna still trade him. So we traded him to his buddy because ESPN said he might be a week to week thing, and I knew it was probably to be longer, but he still traded him and his buddy got mad him a couple of days later.
Speaker 2: But although it's so funny, so last I was in the finals last season, and I only won this thing once and in year two thousand, so one time twenty four years ago, you know, just long suffering owner in this league. So last year we had a great team. We made it to the finals, and I tried to get the other team to tank, and my offer was we will do this year's draft at the White House if you do tank and let me win this trophy. And of course the draft was not at the White House because they did not tank. It was more important to kick my butt in fantasy and that's what happened. So there's a couldn't even couldn't even sweat them with that.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: By the way, did you did you guys have any sway did you pick Marshawn back in the day in your fantasy football?
Speaker 2: He always went to Yeah, he always went too high, and I don't I looked. I don't think I ever had him. And I was always hiss that I didn't have him because I was watching him. So I went to USC. So he was always like, why is that guy so good for cal Man? Why? Why did he not come to s C Marshaw Why and uh one of the carol Man That's why. No, I never I looked. I wish he was always so good.
Speaker 1: What do you mean he always had? Now I got I'm curious. Why what what do you mean, Pete Carroll, that's your guy? Come on?
Speaker 2: Yeah? But no, not in not in college. I don't think I was. I don't think I was ready for him. They was having too much fun over there yeah, well, see I rooted if they weren't playing one of my teams. I was always rotten for for coach Carol. It's funny how a lot of sc people you see out there. Look at Sam Darnold, you know, on the Viking right now. So look, I root for all the Trojans and coaches, except if they're playing my team.
Speaker 4: That is so Doug, You're you're you and you and the VP or massive sports fans. So if there's if it's one day in the week and there's an NBA game, a football game, a baseball game, what do you guys watching.
Speaker 2: Well, she loves her Warriors. So if she's around, and if it's if it's for her, it's NBA over right, like she and she loves her Warriors, man, And so the Laker Warrior thing is real. The Giant Dodger thing is real.
Speaker 3: That's next level real. And by the way, that's an issue for you, Doug.
Speaker 2: One time, Gavin, I was there's this one like stock photo of me. We went to a giant game and like she's like put this hat on, and it was a giant hat, And of course that became the Doug and Kamala picture and every time that thing comes up, I'm like, cheat that thing down, and it's all my LA friends.
Speaker 3: Like, by the way, oh, I imagine you've never gotten her in a Dodger hat, have you.
Speaker 1: I mean because that at that end of the campaign.
Speaker 2: Hell no, No, it's so funny. And it's not just her, it's her whole family. So it's got you know, her extended family is now, you know, texting all the time if it's any l a Bay Area matchup. But you know, the Rams got them. The Rams got him a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 4: That was That was Doug was she has heard as Marshawn was when they left Oakland.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's it's a shame that happened.
Speaker 1: How to press some buttons, don't you.
Speaker 2: Know she's a daughter of Oakland and she she's was born there in Oakland, And yeah, I mean, look, you had you had a city that had had iconic franchises, you know they don't. So it's uh, it's not great.
Speaker 3: Hey, Doug, I know, our time short. But you know, with with everything, that is the sort of essential why and that is what's going on in the next few weeks and what all us need to be doing so that we don't dream of regretting on election day.
Speaker 1: I mean, how you're.
Speaker 3: Out there, you're hearing from people directly. What is I mean in order to really close whatever gaps may be remaining? Though the Vice president's looking in a really strong position. But as we say, polls don't vote, People vote. What can we be doing? What do you recommend folks that are listening in what they can do in the next few weeks to make sure she's successful?
Speaker 2: Right, we got twenty something days left, so this is it. This is the time to act. So first of all, it's close. It shouldn't be this close, but it is. And people need to not get distracted. And you kind of see through this haze that Trump has put out there of gaslighting, misinformation, disinformation, and you didn't do a good job the first time. He's going to be worse this time. It's going to be dangerous for people. People's lives will not be better, they'll be much worse. Let alone, who gets to pick the next Supreme Court justices, all the things that will impact people's lives, like Kalma is going to be so much better on So we just need to make sure people are actually paying attention to who they both are. That split screen on the debate, you know, set it all. Kama's been out there each and every day on you know, full blown media blitz for if anyone wants to know more about her, there's lots of ways to learn more about her and her record and what she stands for and what she fights for. Which is which is you? But right now it's it's on the ground. It's a ground game. We're competing in all seven swing states and it's literally tied or just about tied. Who wanted up a little bit, but that's it. So people need to understand it's in their hands in these particular states. So I was in Georgia yesterday, I was in Arizona a couple of days before that. I'm in Pennsylvania tomorrow. So we're going right to the locals where these folks have the opportunity to decide who will be the next president and what kind of world and what kind of country the rest of us are going to live in. So that's how we are all spending the remainder of our time, going to where we need to win and just making sure people understand what that binary choice is. And Gavin I know you've been out there, you're feeling the excitement. And it's intergenerational too. I'm seeing you know, the grandparents, the parents and the grandkids all fired up about her and coming out. So we had to turn that enthusiasm into registration and early voting and make sure people are canvassing, knocking on those doors, sending out those messages so we can have a future that we can all live in and it's not all this chaos and drama that we knew what it was like before, and we can have a world that you know, we can move forward it and that's what it's all about. Right now, twenty something days left to do this, and.
Speaker 1: I'm looking forward.
Speaker 3: I'm getting back out I think in four states the next six days for you guys, and I agree with you. It's daylight and darkness, chaos versus competency, right versus wrong, everything at stake. And so look, Doug, I appreciate everything you've done. You've done such a great job as second gentleman, but you're about to make history as first gentleman in the United States and we're looking forward to watching that history get made.
Speaker 2: Thank you all, Gavin, Doug Marshaun thanks a lot, great podcast, this was great. I'm going you have a new listener too, So thank you all and let's get this done. I'll see on the other side. Take care of you, Doug, take care of our dog. Appreciate you man. Everybody