Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This He's Talking Cowboys string live from.
Speaker 3: The Dallas Cowboys World Course at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: Six seconds, dot tix.
Speaker 1: Touchdown and now your hosts, Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: Thirty four to six final score from At and T Stadium in Week ten of the NFL season. The Dallas Cowboys fall for their first fourth straight time at home, their fourth straight time overall, and they fall to three and six. Welcome into Talking Cowboys, presented by Black Rifle Coffee Company, live from the Star in Frisco, Texas. In the SWBC studios, We've got Patrick Noci Walker, Josh Rodriguez for the first time ever on Talking Cowboys. Tommy Yarish, beat writer for the Dallas Cowboys, sitting in for Isaiah stand Back. Tommy, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 5: Appreciate you guys having me.
Speaker 4: To Tommy t wife.
Speaker 3: You're nasty t Why no Hilton, that's what you got for Tommy Arrish t y No.
Speaker 4: Hilton, not a Hilton, but like a holiday and express right.
Speaker 3: A Marriott he's like the high end Marriott. You just haven't understood it yet, like the fans at home.
Speaker 4: We have a sponsored Omni, you're the Omni.
Speaker 3: Marriott is the sponsor. Okay, yeah, Marriott Omny is as a partner, but Marriott as the sponsor.
Speaker 4: Okaya.
Speaker 3: And then we've got Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeoman's glad you're with us. I hope you have all of that black Rifle coffee sitting in front of you, Cowboys Nation, because you're gonna need about three hundred million bagilly grams of caffeine break because it did not look pretty, especially in the third quarter for the Cowboys. There were times in the first half where I said, Okay, okay, there's life, there's a pulse, there's something happening here, a light, if you will, maybe a light dark min Why are we talking about the sun? What about the moon? I mean, they've all been up there. What Sun's been there five million years? But yeah, my.
Speaker 6: Favorite Jason Garrett comments is like the sun's been there for two billion years for two million yeah.
Speaker 7: But I mean, for those that saw Micah's comments after the game, it was a play on what he said, be the light.
Speaker 3: Defense needs to be the light. And my moon comment was a play on what Jerry said. And the walk problem is is that talking to astrology.
Speaker 7: It's it's it's too dark at this point for any light to kind of matter. So if you were on the if you were on the line about if you should, you know, cash in some vacation time for January, go ahead and do it, because I said before this game, I sat right here in this same seaton. I said before this game, this team was on the precipice of a lost season. If they lose against the Eagles, especially if it's in poor fashion, then it is officially a lost season.
Speaker 3: So I'm going to stand on that business.
Speaker 7: And unfortunately, I'm going to go ahead and say this is now a lost season.
Speaker 3: What hope?
Speaker 7: If you don't believe it's a lost season, my question to you would be, what hope were you leaning on?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 7: Because not only was the offense worse without Dak Prescott, which we knew that it might be, there's ploys of monumentally worse without Dak Prescott. Forty six passing yards for Cooper Rush, the lowest four starting quarterback or at offense for the Cowboys since two thousand and one. I believe so tasting yards passing yards wise, lowest passing yards accumulated in twenty three years. Okay, your defense came out, played with its hair on fire. Demarv Yon overshown everywhere, your longhorn, animal animal demon time.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 7: Michael Parsons came back. Looked like he didn't miss a snap, hadn't placed since September. Looked like him saw them demon time.
Speaker 3: Right. The defense set the tone in a way that we have been wanting them to do. Huge.
Speaker 7: Still the Pappy, Absolutely, he is still the Pappy five the Philadelphia games.
Speaker 3: Still the Pappy. Your defense gave you a chance. What did you do?
Speaker 8: You?
Speaker 3: You blew it every single time?
Speaker 7: Okay, tomayon over shown gets you that sack, thirteen yards lost and Cooper rush then fumbles the snap gives them the ball in the red zone. Of course they score because they can score in the red zone. Apparently not every team can, but the Philadelphia Eagles can.
Speaker 3: What's that like?
Speaker 7: Marius Leo file right on that Micah forced fumble, sack, Mary's lefoul recovers the ball six yards first and goal from the six yard line. How many yards did they get one one yard in three attention, Oh no, it is three. And it just went from there and all five turnovers, fumble at the four four Zeke's fumble in the rid zone.
Speaker 3: That was big. That was massive.
Speaker 7: That was such a diff That was a long That was the longest best drive of the game, not.
Speaker 3: Just to that point, but of the entire of the year.
Speaker 2: And that might have been my favorite drive They've had all gear this favorite drive. They were running the ball, they were balanced, they were working to the outside. Rico Dawdle was making cuts. They were all moving and grooving and just rolling down the field. And then on the fifteenth player the drive number, you give it to Ezekiel Elliott and he coughs it up at the goal line.
Speaker 7: You know, that reminded me of you remember earlier in the season when they had a fantastic drive at home and it.
Speaker 3: Was ceedee lamb. Yeah, same thing, the ball on the ground in the red zone. I think I was like played nine or ten. That was another great drive.
Speaker 7: Four lost fumbles, add an interception on Trey Lance, And honestly, I actually forgive Trey Lance for the interception. I'm not in a giving grace move but I'll give him great for that because that was not on him. Go back and look at the film, look at the route. I don't know what Jalen Tobart's route was supposed to be there. It was bad, but it wasn't what it was supposed Yeah, so that interception was on Jalen Tobert. I would have liked to see more of Trey Lance, especially earlier in the game. But nonetheless, for lost fumbles. We talked about Cooper Rush coming into a different situation. This is not twenty twenty two. Your offensive line cannot protect you consistently. You don't have receivers that can get separation. But hey, for two quarters you had a defense that actually was taking the ball away and actually was giving you a shot. But because you started seeing ghosts, you started the panic and things kind of went from there. So worst outing of Cooper Rush's professional career. I'm not even we'll get through the protection numbers, but this is bad. It's lost us your vacation time in January.
Speaker 3: It's a go.
Speaker 6: I think that that drive, that fifteen play drive Verzi fumbles in the end zone. I think that, of course, like we've talked about before, it's like Oh, there are these plays. There are these absolute disastrous plays that just make up and tell you the story of what the sea in his like for the Cowboys at every turn, no matter how good you start to look momentum wise, it just results in just a bone headed play, decision, interception, fumble, whatever it is, like, it just ends up being that way.
Speaker 4: And then the.
Speaker 6: Defense right after that causes the fumble to put you right back at first in goal.
Speaker 3: They negated that whole scenario.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, so you.
Speaker 3: Micah Parsons deleted the lat mistake. Absolutely off, delete, delete the lead. I mean, he like got rid of it.
Speaker 6: And we've talked about how Mike, how we interpret that. Mike McCarthy feels about fumbling in the red zone right the very next series when they come back out, who is your starting running back? And they gave them, what the heck are we doing that?
Speaker 7: I said, that doghouse stuff is kind of weird because you don't know when he's going to choose to apply it.
Speaker 4: It's really strange.
Speaker 3: And he of course he didn't get a carry after that though, right he got that next carry of the opening drive. I don't think he had enough game.
Speaker 4: There's that's such an odd decision to me.
Speaker 6: And then again, like we talked about, you have four plays and you gain one yard?
Speaker 5: Am I right? That was it?
Speaker 9: Rico o'dwell that got the third down carry on that drive too, and it wasn't going for anything.
Speaker 4: Look, didn't go anywhere.
Speaker 9: I don't need to tell you guys that those two drives where you need twelve yards total and two drives for the chance to get fourteen points is bad. But let me tell you what's worse. You want to know what the Cowboys did on their next six drives, talk to us three and out, three and out, three and out, fumble, fumble, interception in those.
Speaker 5: Six drives in those six great, not great, it's it's not done yet.
Speaker 9: How many how many yards do you think they gained no offense in that time span?
Speaker 4: Oh that's a good twenty five five yards?
Speaker 5: Twenty three yards?
Speaker 3: Are you're gonna make me throw up into this bowl?
Speaker 9: The Eagles scored for the unanswered points, So the Eagles had more points than the Cowboys had yards essentially the rest of the way.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's that. That says it. That says it. That's the story of this.
Speaker 9: Game, right, I mean, you take under Mike Zimmers, defense's best is best half we've seen all years.
Speaker 3: It was right, yeahs.
Speaker 4: Turned it into.
Speaker 5: The follow through on it. I can't follow it.
Speaker 9: No, no, no, that's that that there's no other way to put it. I mean, five sacks in the first half. That's the most Cowboys tied for the most that they've had in a regular season game in the last twenty five years.
Speaker 5: And you just window.
Speaker 7: Felt that you had to take advantage of that first half from the defense, knowing that the Cowboys and third quarters are not friends.
Speaker 3: They are not friends.
Speaker 7: They are toxic xes who are out for each other's but out scored in the third quarter alone eighty two to twenty two.
Speaker 3: This year, you are minus sixty minus sixty in the third quarter. It might I remind you this is not over the course of an entire season. This is over the course of nine games. Sixty divided by nine is nine. Great.
Speaker 6: Bob nak MGB and uh Jerry Jones even talked about it after the game too.
Speaker 4: It's like we could we got.
Speaker 6: To figure out what we're drinking at halftime, what we drink quarter. I mean, there's there's something really drastically wrong about the way that they are making adjustments coming out of halftime, and if they are even.
Speaker 3: Making it es, well, that's the wind too.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's the game plan.
Speaker 3: And we've we've talked about this on this show previously. It may not have been this year, but it might have been in the past. But NFL halftimes are so short that fans, I think, have this preconceived notion that you're gonna go into halftime, You're gonna get this who rob speech from the coaching staff, and they're gonna get you fired up to go out there for the third quarter, and they're gonna get you set, and we're gonna break down the film and we're gonna look at it all. And everybody's sitting there listening to Mike mc arthy is he outlines the game plan going into the second half in eleven is not what happens at all. That is not at halftime at the NFL level. The halftime at the NFL level, you get down there, most of the time, guys will either go to the restroom, grab a drink, sit down as the coaching staff comes down from the booth. So you might get an opportunity if your coach, your position coach was in the booth, you'll get maybe three minutes to talk to him or her, whatever ends up being. In the NFL, you get three minutes in your locker room to talk to your position, coach or whoever's directly your superior I guess in that moment. Then after that you go back onto the field and get ready for the second half. So there's not a ton of adjusting that can happen. But what you can say is you got to have the right mindset coming out of that break. And it certainly hasn't been the case. These guys aren't locked in, they haven't played well, and there's a lot of things that go to effort in the NFL, and we've talked about effort before. I don't think it's a lack of effort. I think it's a lack of mentality, if that makes sense, because you can still give physical effort but not completely be there right whenever you're locked in on the game plan or whatever it may be from a playbook standpoint, and when you're getting outscored by sixty points in the third quarter alone, you're not locked in. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I don't know what else to tell them. As much credit as we're giving the defense. He also had Kiln Carson, who did not have a great game. They were targeting him.
Speaker 3: Oh, they picked on him very much.
Speaker 4: And Kellen Moore a.
Speaker 3: Peppy We've addressed this, yes, but Kellen said, I'm not going to throw to that guy. I'm not going to throw the Jordan Lewis.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna pick on this.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna circle this rookie that the seat belt. They may have seat belt cutters in that that locker room for Philadelphia because they got after.
Speaker 4: Him a little bit.
Speaker 6: No, and let's run as many crossers as we possibly can to get these guys out of position and make them play man right, which is just not a good recipe for successful for me.
Speaker 7: The third quarter, and when you look at yesterday's third quarter, it was more or less a microcosm of what we've seen in almost every third quarter this seasons. Cal makes a great point. It's not like you can go pull up the whiteboard and pull out the film this, have a whole team meeting at havetime for adjustments. No, you have to adjust quickly and adapt quickly. Now, that's what the other team is doing. That's why they come out and they're playing different football. If you contain them over the first couple of quarters, they're like, yeah, well, we see how they're playing us.
Speaker 3: We're going to change this up. Fine.
Speaker 7: That means that's going to give them the advantage, especially if they're getting the ball first, because the Cowboys keep choosing to receive the ball.
Speaker 3: When they win the coin toss. I don't even starting on that.
Speaker 7: So in this situation, you still have fifteen minutes in that quarter, fifteen football minutes to make your adaptation to their adaptation problem is yesterday in the third quarter, another example of no adaptation over the course of an entire third quarter.
Speaker 3: So when I'm seeing.
Speaker 7: Cal Josh, Tommy, you weren't here for this, Josh, what I say about Donovan Wilson and zimmer scheme not good?
Speaker 3: What did I say? He keeps asking Donovan to do that.
Speaker 7: Is actually the weakest point top play over the top and play go backwards coverage And how did that work out yesterday?
Speaker 4: Not?
Speaker 7: Well, that's because Sirianni and Kellen Moore went into the half and Kellen Moore knows Donovan Wilson very well for obvious reasons, and he said, you know what, I noticed that they keep dropping Donovan Wilson back in coverage. Let's attack that with Dallas Goddard. Okay, here we go. They're attacking Donovan Wilson. Hey, Zimmer, by the way, they were drawing a circle around Donovan. Now maybe making a no, okay, no no tick tick tick tick tick. Now when the fourth quartering of the game is blown wide open already, it's too late. So for me, it's not making adjustments in real time. It's you know, guys, Yeah, they're giving the effort, but you know they're just not in position to make the plays in the third quarter, in the fourth quarter that they were in the first quarter. We know that Demarvejon was a little bit hampered because he turns out he suffered the knee injury in the first half and he kind of came back in and he kind of played through it. But he was battling that. But no one else when Marveong got hampered, no one else other than Michael was on demon time, right, So where were the Demons in the second half. But again, I'm not going to hang this loss. I'm really not im not going to hang this loss on the defense.
Speaker 3: You're going to lose your edge defensively.
Speaker 7: When you're not playing a complimentary football, offense starts to dip mistakes, you start to get frustrated.
Speaker 3: They put you in your situation.
Speaker 9: What's the point, Well, you don't have time to breathe, right, Yeah, they don't have time to breathe. Three three and ounce and three turnovers back to back to back to back to back to back drives.
Speaker 5: You don't have time to catch your breath now.
Speaker 3: So you're sitting there on the sideline saying, can you please just get one first down? Just exactly you please? You just think.
Speaker 9: As deflating as it is for an offense to not come away with six points when you've got the ball on the six yard line, how deflating is it for a defense to get two eight turnovers back to back to get you in that spot, just for your offense to run four plays.
Speaker 3: Both times that they didn't end up in points in the inside the ten yard line, or I guess they ended up with just the three on the after the Micah Stripzak and the Marris leafoul recovery. I watched as the stadium shot showed the offensive line going back to the sideline. Both times they showed the offensive line, and I couldn't help but notice two different faces at that time. One of them was Zach Martin and then the other one was Tyler or Terrence Steel. Those were the two guys that I kind of like looked at both times when we were in the stadium as they were walking back. When we come back, I want to talk about the offensive line because it was kind of it was kerfuffled, but there was also a bright spot on the left side. I want to talk about a little bit more as well, but that's part of where I think this offensive struggle has started and continued throughout the twenty twenty four season offensive line. Talk more about the offensive side of the ball when we come back with more talking Cowboys. If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee. That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission, head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some black Rifle coffee.
Speaker 10: Today, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per holl. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 3: See add dot complash five fifty deals. It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order. Plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 4: If you shout how about them cowboys?
Speaker 8: You have that undeniable passion that's the heart of Cowboys Nation. And if you like to drink Doctor Pepper, you love the unique blend of its twenty three flavors. Together, you're one of a kind fandom paired with the one of a kind taste of a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper is the game day lineup that can't be beat better yet, Gather your Cowboys and Doctor Pepper fan friends to watch the next game and crack open a delicious ice cold Doctor Pepper for everyone.
Speaker 4: The wins will be even taste heer Pepper thing.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. This portion of the show is brought to you by Quaker Oats, the official oatmeal sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Quaker Oats trusted since eighteen seventy seven. Long time I need you, Tommy on your first show. I need you to point to your right Well, you're right right there, right there. Yeah, is your finger in the screen, though, make sure, yeah there you go up there, you go be a better weather man. Come on here, you got it right there, right there is the quake Ar code. That is the quake Ar code. You can buy your oats from the Internet and Beamer right there, right now, officially there you go, will officially drone deliver them to you. By Chris B deliver your oats from the Internet straight down to your porch. It's not true. Don't sue us. That's not happening. So do you everybody your oats from the Internet, Tommy, only when you watch Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 9: All the time, and by drone delivery too sweet quake oats, Quaker oats every time.
Speaker 3: Trusted. This guy gets it. Trusted in eighteen seventy seven, this guy gets it. Feels like that's the last time the Cowboys won a game. It's true. I couldn't even make myself live because it hurts. It does. It hurts. Four straight losses. Back with Tommy Yars, Josh Rodriguez, Patrick No s Walker, Chris Beam in the back. I want to talk about the offensive side of the ball. Tommy. You did a phenomenal job of outlining the despair on that side of the football in the second half. One way to put it, it's specifically, we've talked a lot about the offensive line on this show and how it has not been consistent enough for you to build anything around it, and a lot of times, at least going into the year, we thought it was going to be the rookies and the learning curve around Tyler Gidon and Cooper Bebee. Instead, you're starting to see the regression in a steep regression of Zach Martin, and you're starting to see a bad seas have seen a bad season from Terrence Steele on the right tackle spot. When you look at this offensive line, where does it start for you in terms of the downturn up front?
Speaker 9: I really think it is with Terrence Steele on the outside. I think that's where you've seen so much of the pressure come. And then when you look at the left side when Tyler Geiden's played, Dallas has tried to help him over there, whether it be a tight end or they line up a running back on that side to help him pass protection guy.
Speaker 5: It just hasn't worked. It just hasn't worked.
Speaker 9: So I mean assume Richard's awesome mercer yesterday I thought played fairly well for what you would expect from him considering Geiton was, you know, kind of a guy you didn't know about coming into this game and you know, questionable throughout the week and limited throughout the week in practice. But you know what did it for me was Terrence Steele Seemingly you guys, tell me if I saw this play wrong, it looked like he kicked the ball away from Hunter Lipke and then just want it on the ground instead of just falling on top of.
Speaker 4: It's trying to scoop and score based.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's trying to make something happen.
Speaker 5: That was third down, right, So I mean.
Speaker 3: He's trying to make up for his mistake.
Speaker 9: With all due respect to Terrence, I don't know how many yards he's going to get if he picks that up and rumbles with it.
Speaker 5: Maybe he just houses it. That would be super cool.
Speaker 4: A man of steel.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, it's a hard guy to bring down the ball, I'll tell you that. But you know that, I think that's where it starts with this offensive line. When you knew there was going to be growing pains with rookies, but did you think it would be to this magnitude.
Speaker 6: And that kind of goes back to another motif that has followed us throughout the season, and that like hero ball, playing hero ball, doing more, doing too much. You know, if Terrence Steele thinks in that moment like I'm going to pick up the ball and we're going to get this first downright.
Speaker 3: Loft sixty yards.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like, if that's his thought process, that is the hero ball, That is the hero mentality. That is doing more than what your job entails. Your job entails in that moment to dive on that frickin' ball and secure it, do not give it back to the Philadelphia Eagles when you are struggling to move the ball in the first place. To me, that was just another example of how being a hero doing too much has kind of bit you in the butt. And you've seen that more so on defense this year, But in that moment, it felt.
Speaker 3: Just like that.
Speaker 6: It's a microcosm of the whole season and the demons sort of.
Speaker 4: Coming back again.
Speaker 3: He was my f word again.
Speaker 7: Fundamentals, Oh, fundamentals say that on the airway. Yeah, fundamentals, listen, Terrence steel Is sixty six three hundred ten pounds, give or take. Okay, after the after you missed your block which led to the sack and forced fumble. That cow you said, maybe he was trying to make up for it. The way you make up for it is you put that six six, three hundred ten pound frame on top of that small, little oblong object. That's what you do. You go full bombshit over that ball to give yourselves a chance. At worst, it becomes a punt and you turn the field position a while.
Speaker 3: But you cannot give the Eagles that ball.
Speaker 5: He needs to pop that ball.
Speaker 9: He literally needs to make the ball explode by falling.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, that's what needs to happen.
Speaker 9: No, there should be no ball by the.
Speaker 4: Fundamental, flatten yourself on top of.
Speaker 7: You are taught at every level of the game to fall on a loose ball. Yep, every position doesn't matter if you're the wide receiver or not. Now it's a little bit more forgivable if you don't, and you're the wide receiver or something right, and you have some green in front of you. It's like, Okay, you know what the fundamental was, but I get it. I can't even say I get this. You're a right tackle. Just fall on the ball. You have zero chance. Let's say you scoop that ball. Where are you're going, Like Tommy said.
Speaker 5: Are where you're going?
Speaker 3: Big boy? Where you're going, big boy? Right? This was not going to be the legacy moment. Okay. So to answer your question, my opinion, it starts on the right side.
Speaker 7: It's not just Terrence, but it's Zach as well, right, and then it filters left from there because Terrence is struggling and Zach is having arguably the worst season of his you know, Hall of Fame career.
Speaker 3: He gave up another sack and another two pressures. Correct.
Speaker 7: Now, it makes things more difficult for a rookie like Cooper BB, right, who's transitioning. And one of the things that were was supposed to help Cooper BB was being sandwiched between Zach Martin Tyler Smith. Tyler Smith had a pretty pretty good day yesterday, But when that right side is struggling, now you're asking a whole lot from Cooper BB and his first.
Speaker 3: Year is center and his first year is center.
Speaker 7: Also a lot of Yeah, I think everybody except one allowed to sack yesterday.
Speaker 3: That would be as stout of the starters, Yes, yeah, out of the starters, correct. Tyler Smith was the only one who did that, and then it was a combiny.
Speaker 7: It went from there because Cook clean from Tyler, Cooper Rush wasn't throwing the ball well even when he wasn't pressured, and then when he was pressured, it made things spiral them much more out of control. So yeah, yeah, worst passing outing since, like I said, two thousand and one.
Speaker 3: Oh, here's who the quarterback was in that game. It was Quincy Quincy Carter.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he did not Cooper Rush did not complete a pass further than ten.
Speaker 3: Years ten yards field. Yeah. His spray chart from NFL like next Gin looks like a peewee football spray chart like And that's not all on Cooper Rush, it's not, but it does look like that, but it is. It is also and I think there's an element to this that one if you're a Dak Prescott hater, this is a good indication of why you shouldn't be a Dak Prescott hater.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 3: Not only is Cooper Rush a backup quarterback, but it went so far down below we thought it was a low floor or a high floor, low ceiling. With Cooper Rush, we just saw how low the floor can get. It went pretty darn low and it is. It's the lowest that he's ever played in the NFL. That's plain and simple. It could get get better from here, we'll see, But right there is a good indication of how much you missed Dak Prescott. When I was sitting in the press box and I had my pin out and I was taking my notes. During that Terrence Steel play where the stripsack happens, Rush puts the ball on the ground, it fumbles away. He's trying to go get it and he can't come up with it, and the Eagles recover. I wrote two words on my flip card. Would you like to guess which the two words were on air?
Speaker 12: No?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, they're they're not. No, they're not curse words.
Speaker 4: You're going that I got nothing.
Speaker 3: Would you like to take a guess?
Speaker 5: I couldn't even try.
Speaker 3: It was rock bottom, That's what I and I wrote it over the top of the Cowboy That's what That's what it felt like. It felt like this was rock bottom. The boobirds were there. Everybody's frustrated. The offense hasn't been good. Even when Dak was in the fold, he was having to cover up so much that they could not figure things out period. It's it felt like that moment. If when we get done with the twenty twenty four season and we look back years from now and we circle this year as a year that was a lost season for the Cowboys, that's the moment that's gonna stick out to me. That one specifically. I don't know why, but it's because it felt that way. I felt, really it was. There's plenty of moments like that. That was the one that's going to stick out to me as the rock bottom moment of twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Think the Zeke fumble two is one that was bad too.
Speaker 6: That one's really bad, and a lot of it just feels like a team that is playing not to lose. They're trying to they're desperately trying not to make the mistakes, which is also making those mistakes. And there it doesn't feel like a confidence team.
Speaker 7: Here's when you know nothing is destined to go in your favorite you're gasping for any type of positivity.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 7: So Trey Lance comes in and yeah, this could have been a better ball to Jake, but none the less, the ball gets there. Jake with a sensational one handed grab, sensation to fumble yep, fourth loss fumble. At that point, it is okay, okay, use your vacation, Tom.
Speaker 5: Do you know what?
Speaker 9: You know what happened after that fumble too? Trey Lance, as a good quarterback does, makes the play to push the defender out of bounds.
Speaker 5: He pushed the defender into Dak Prescott. I mean bad play alone.
Speaker 9: Is the encapsulations. I mean we can look at and he has Dak has to hop away. He like he could have gotten again.
Speaker 5: That I think encapsulates this game.
Speaker 9: There's just one photo, one six second video that is the cover of.
Speaker 3: Maybe I should have written that down on that play.
Speaker 9: Specifically, even even when Dak Prescott's not in the game, he was still in danger, He's still under pressure mind boxing.
Speaker 5: I mean, how does that happen?
Speaker 6: Oh there's a hit on his statuet for yesterday no attempts pressure.
Speaker 3: Allowed the QB three QB three. Oh my god. I was I was impressed because I was like, Trey Lance laid a hit on that guy. I was like, that was kind of a good I realized that Dak was on the receiving. We are not even laughing because it's funny.
Speaker 7: We're laughing because how does the adage go, sometimes you gotta laugh to keep crying. This is so bad that you're either going to just laugh at it because it's like it's so ridiculous. It's so ridiculous that you have to laugh or you just go numb, or a combination of the two. Now it's just like, Okay, what what happens when the texts come? What's the next thing?
Speaker 4: What's the stages of grief?
Speaker 6: And I think we're kind of passed that into now it's laughter. Now it's just a morbid, a morbid laughter that we have in regards to the team and the season so far. You hate to see it, man, you really do.
Speaker 3: This is rough.
Speaker 7: That if just when you think, and that's why I say that, hold that rock bottom drink, because it seems like every time you think you've hit rock bottom with this.
Speaker 3: Team, something else happens happens. Even with that, though, like you said it, going into this game, there was still a sliver of hope. Even if it was a sliver, I'm talking it, but it was there's I don't see that anymore. I don't think there's even a sliver. I think the season you're looking at the future now whenever it comes to twenty twenty four, Sure a miracle in the Metroplex can happen and you can win out. Sure, absolutely, you could totally have a miracle, because that's what it would take, a pure act of divine intervention to make something happen to the point where you win and get to eleven and six. Sure, but that's not happening. Will I think God is busy doing other things. Yeah, he's plenty. He's a bit tied up, I will say.
Speaker 9: And I'll pose this kind of as a question too. If you if you want I try to be a positive person, if you want to look at something, if you want to look at something that could be positive for you. If the offensive line is going to play the way that they've been playing or they give up pressure, do you make.
Speaker 5: Trey Lance the starting quarterback?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 9: Is that the potential answer? Because here's the thing, Yes, thank you. At worst you get him valuable reps and you see what you've got there. You traded a fourth round pick for him. I think you just see what you've got there, and that's not that's not a slight at Cooper Rush. I mean what you have with you, You know what you have with Cooper Rush. And now you've seen the worst from Cooper Rush. And you know, are you in save the season mode anymore to where you want Cooper Rush to win you games?
Speaker 5: Or are you in Hey.
Speaker 9: Let's see if Trey Lance can get this thing going?
Speaker 4: Are you in all?
Speaker 3: Are you?
Speaker 4: And he needs to run the freaking ball?
Speaker 5: M wow, bang god?
Speaker 3: And you can't. We saw it like at least early in the game, whenever they just put him in for a run package, he ran the Reid option and took two snaps and then was out of the game. Like that was kind of what what we anticipated. Like, you can't just do that. He's got to be able to throw the football too, And so we mentioned this last week, But you're right. If the offensive line is is Swiss cheese up front and it's just gonna let these.
Speaker 5: Defenders through and Rush is gonna succeed.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna happen. So why not give a guy with at least a little bit of mobility a chance back there? And like you said, see what you get.
Speaker 6: Dual threats. The more opportunities you give yourself on the ground or in the air, take a shot, man, you have to.
Speaker 9: You you look at I mean to cut you off just one more thing on trade. You look at some of the players yesterday where he gets flushed out. One of those plays, he just turns the court or beats everybody.
Speaker 5: For eleven yards.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and even when he couldn't, even when he couldn't, he.
Speaker 5: Still gets flushed out.
Speaker 9: He's got three guys on the backfield chasing him, and he gets back to the line of scrimmage. If Cooper rushes in that situation, you take a six to seven yard sack both times dead man, and he turns it into ten net yards in two plays and a first down.
Speaker 7: And this is why going into this game, I wanted them to unleash the packages for Trey Lance, but for Trey Lance to not take his first snap until just under three minutes in the third quarter. Now you're down twenty eight to six, and then you put him in for two plays, one of those was a designed run, and then you pull him and you put Cooper Rush back in the game for that third quarter. And then it wasn't until the fourth quarter where you look at Tray and say, you know what, now you can go throw the ball. No, And then even when you look at when Trey was throwing the ball. We know that Trey Lance needs more development with his arm. We know this, okay, but it's evaluation time and he's not going to get this opportunity again for the Cowboys as far as in game reps, and like he said that time he said, and like we've been saying leading into this game, he gives you the escapability and behind an offensive line that just simply cannot protect you.
Speaker 3: So, no matter how you look at it, we know what Cooper rush is.
Speaker 7: If you're Mike McCarthy and you're thinking, there's a snowballs chance in the hell that maybe you can save the season.
Speaker 3: Okay, maybe the best option is Trey Lance.
Speaker 7: Maybe, but even if it's not, you need to evaluate this young man and if nothing else, give the fans something to have some fun with in a season that's likely dead at this point.
Speaker 6: And if you've read Dallas Cowboys dot Com, you read this last week in Science Life, you did Patrick discuss this, you did about using both quarterbacks to your advantage. Whenever I saw Trey Lance come in, I was like, Damn, Patrick got a point. Patrick got a point. It's at this point it's too little, too late.
Speaker 4: But I didn't.
Speaker 6: I didn't not respect I didn't expect the coaching staff to put Trey Lance in. But you needed the spark in that moment, and I think he for all into the purposes. He gave you something.
Speaker 7: Cooper Rush, a Conch Carter game, Trey Lance at least a package that should have started middle of the second quarter, give or take.
Speaker 3: And so at the beginning of.
Speaker 7: The third quarter, when you saw it was starting to get away from you, just go ahead and pull the reins off.
Speaker 4: Imagine if you started that.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying, just.
Speaker 9: Going start, you know when it should have started, first and goal from.
Speaker 3: The six yo.
Speaker 9: Yeah, tell, as soon as they got the ball there, I said to myself and I maybe said to the see you in the press box, this is prime trade opportunity. This is a prime trade a Lance spot.
Speaker 5: If you run a speed.
Speaker 9: Options with him and Rico o'dowell, you're at least getting a yard or two at the very like if.
Speaker 4: That's who would be double what we actually exactly.
Speaker 9: Barring a disaster, which the Cowboys had several disasters, you at least get a couple of positive yards out of that plane.
Speaker 5: You just see what you've got you see what you've.
Speaker 9: Got, and you get away from the interior defensive line. Because Jalen Carter in this game, Yeah, he was nuts, absolute monster, absolute monster, bulldog.
Speaker 4: We get it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Well, you got.
Speaker 5: There basically playing the Georgia defense.
Speaker 3: I what do.
Speaker 5: I have, like like four or five Georgia defenders over there.
Speaker 3: Four starters.
Speaker 9: But if the way that he's playing, the way that Brandon Graham was coming off the edge too, you get away from all that, you get trade to the outside and maybe you've got.
Speaker 5: A shot there.
Speaker 9: That's what I saw. That's what I said to myself for the first time. Okay, this is where Trey Lance might be able to give you something. But I understand now I help yourself.
Speaker 5: I do understand.
Speaker 9: Mike McCarthy giving the ball to Rico Dowdell and Ezekiel Aliat in the situation is because they were running the ball so well in that first half. The offensive line was getting good push in the run game. I mean, we can give him that.
Speaker 3: But why do I give yourself the added options?
Speaker 5: That's my point.
Speaker 3: That's tough, all right, we got to take our second break. When we come back, we flip our attention to the defensive side of the ball. Had some guys playing early, had some guys not so much playing late. We'll talk about each of those good at the bad, the ugly of the Cowboys defense. In the thirty four to six loss to Philadelphia. Right after more talking.
Speaker 10: Cowboys, Todd thought it would be secure to jog in the Cheetah Savannah. Todd believed the big Cat repellent he bought online was reliable, and now Todd is trying to be faster than this cheetah that can run eighty miles per hour. But the good news is Todd has AT and T five G. It is fast, reliable, and secure, and he learned the best thing to do is stop running and toss her the backpack with the beef stew At and T five G. Fast, reliable, Secure.
Speaker 11: Five G requires compatible plan and device five G may not be available in your area.
Speaker 3: Seeatd dot com slash five G FORU fifty deals.
Speaker 11: They say champions are remembered, but legends are never forgotten. United Agon Turf offers a winning lineup of John Deere equipment built to tackle any challenge on and off the field. Legendary John Deere tractors combines residential mowers, commercial mowers, compact construction equipment, Hater utility vehicles, and a full line of golf and sports turf equipment. United Agon Turf, the official Agon turf equipment supplier of the Dallas Cowboys. Visit United Dagon com to find a location near you.
Speaker 13: Hey, y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer handcramp and cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on yetti dot Com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: And we're going to overtime Erica, how much have I spent on concessions?
Speaker 14: For questions about their money, Dallas Cowboys fans can turn to Erica, the Virtual financial Assistant in the Bank of America Mobile banking app. Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com, slash ericup by your side. Bank of America Official Bank of the Dallas Cowboys. Erica responses may very digital tools featured required dowloading the mobile banking app and may only be available on select mobile devices. Erica is a mobile feature only available in the Englis language. Your chap may be recorded and monitored for quality assurance. Message dat raise and additional turns me apply, Thank America and a number fd.
Speaker 5: I C.
Speaker 3: To Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys. This segment of the show is brought to you by and Visilne, the Official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys. Welcome in on this Monday, Patrick Noci Walker, Rosh Rodriguez, Tommy Yarish, Chris Beam. In the back of Kyle Yeoman's breaking down the thirty four to six Cowboys lost to Philadelphia, Dallas now three and six. Best case scenario is the win out scenario, and you're you've got eleven wins on the season. Uh yeah, I mean I don't even know why.
Speaker 4: Sorry, sorry, no, I don't. I don't mean to dismiss you at all.
Speaker 3: Man. The next two games, what was that for the next two games? Yeah, you've got the Houston Texans who lost last night but are still really really good at and then yeah, they're gonna be upset. And have you won at home? No, you have. Actually, you're the first team in history to trail by twenty points or more at home in the last five game. Sick. Okay, who you got after this? Then you've got this Washington team. Okay, all right, that's seven and three, but they just lost, so they're also mad.
Speaker 4: Okay, all right, so yeah extra large man.
Speaker 3: Well that's gonna do it for us here talking Cowboys playoffs, I'm gonna talk about the defense, because the defense showed things at least in that first half that we haven't seen all year. They get worn down, they get tired, like we talked about with Tommy earlier. When you go three and out, three and ow three and now pick pick interception, I mean fumble whatever, it ends up being the just the seven or eight drives straight of just not good offense. It is going to wear down a defense. Even the best in the business can't have that sort of sustained success over and over and over again. What was the best thing you saw and the worst thing you saw from the Cowboys defense in the loss on Sunday, Patt, I'll start with you, and.
Speaker 7: This thing I saw was de Marveo Novas shown taking another step toward being arguably the best Cowboys defender not named Michael Parsons in twenty twenty five and beyond. I just can't I can't state enough how impressed IM with this young man, especially when you look at all the variables surrounding his success. Right, he was essentially red shirted by torn acl as his first season.
Speaker 3: Another scary injury time out yesterday.
Speaker 7: Another right, in training camp, he misses a good chunk of training camp with the hip pointer.
Speaker 3: Okay, so he misses those reps.
Speaker 7: But he comes out Week one against the Cleveland Browns and he plays some great freaking football.
Speaker 3: Had a couple of.
Speaker 7: Hiccups here and there, but then overall, his trajectory is just exponentially taking leaps forward to the point where yesterday you would have I mean, that was all pro level football from the Marveon overshown all pro level football, to the point where Micah Parsons himself said he'd reconsider his role going forward so that he could stay on the field with the Marveon overshown, like when you're playing so well that you have a generational talent looking at the defensive coordinator saying you know what put us on the field at the same time from now on, that's big stuff. So for me, it's to marve on overshown and Mike had giving you some kind of life that you can maybe.
Speaker 3: Have some fun with going forward. So that's the best thing.
Speaker 7: The worst thing for me is just the struggles of Kayln Carson tall Ask. He's only two games back, yeah, only two Yeah, aj Brown tall asked only two games back from his shoulder injury, having missed several games, and it's just that's a lot to ask from the young man. But at the same time, he's struggling with things like miss tackles. His coverage is just not what I've seen that it can be on film, and that allowed Jalen Hurts and Kellen Moore to target him and go away from Jordan Lewis, go away from Trayvon Diggs. So, you know, Kayln Carson, he can be better. Hopefully he'll begin to get better as the season goes on he starts to get those reps. But yeah, that's the worst. But the Marrion Overshown. He was a lighthouse for me yesterday.
Speaker 6: The best that I saw from the defense, as far as I mean first and second half defense. Obviously we're talking about here right When you consider, like you said to Marvin Overshone doing the most.
Speaker 4: He was all over the field.
Speaker 6: He made just about every single defensive play in the first quarter and the second quarter.
Speaker 4: To me, his passion is shining through.
Speaker 6: I think the fact that he is just confident, you know, because you're not seeing a lot of that on this team. You're not seeing a lot of players like once they make a tackle, get up and actually be passionate and do something that's like I made this play for me, Demarvin Overshone is going to be the heart of your defense going forward, and it's.
Speaker 4: Something to build on.
Speaker 6: And not only that, but you have Trayvon Diggs who was playing lights out in the first half. Granted they were targeting Calen Carson all day. When you do get to target Trayvon Diggs, what do you get interceptions?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 4: I love that. I love seeing that.
Speaker 6: I love the pressure that you were able to get on Jalen Hurts in the first half yesterday because he was uncomfortable, he was making poor decisions, his throws were aired, and once the Philadelphia Eagles figured out, like, oh, the Cow's offense is going to do anything, let's just sit back, let's chill, let's take you know, let's take plays off. Basically, if we need to live to see another down, because we will score, we will end up scoring. But I think that would be my worst part. There is the fact that the defense, it's hard to say gave up, but they let off the gas in the second half because the offense wasn't doing any because they were they were and they were gassed of course, so that would be sort of a micro causing both.
Speaker 4: It's kind of good and bad.
Speaker 9: Sure, I think the positive for me, and I was telling Nick Harris, is this. On the drive back yesterday, nobody talked about how the Cowboys held Saquon Barkley to sixty six yards on the ground.
Speaker 5: I mean that that's what's incredible.
Speaker 3: That's one of believes.
Speaker 9: Best running backs and a guy who easily could have taken this game over, easily could have taken this game over if he does Saquon Barkley things, if he jumps over a guy backwards, whatever, it may be, so I think that's a positive development for this run defense, which has quite frankly, put together back to back pretty good weeks defending two very good running backs and Jean Robinson and Saquon Barkley. The flip side of that is that this team is still struggling to defend quarterbacks that can run. Jalen Hurts fifty six yards on seven carries for two touchdowns. I know one of those was the touch push. But when your defense is able to get pressure like that and Jalen Hurts has to get out of the pocket and he just has nothing in.
Speaker 5: Front of him, nothing, it can't happen.
Speaker 9: And when it happens again and again, and there isn't an adjustment man to, you know, put a guy like Demarvion overshown on him, whether it be as a spy or just have him in the area, whatever it may be. If it keeps happening again and again and you don't adjust to it, then a guy like Jalen Hurts and what he's capable of doing, is going to take advantage of.
Speaker 5: That all day long.
Speaker 9: And I'll tell you this, I don't know if there would be a better candidate for a s and we've seen it this year too than to marve on overshom considering how.
Speaker 5: Fast he closes.
Speaker 9: You saw it yesterday with how many with how fast he gets to the quarterback.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the thing is that the sack yesterday made me think back to the Deshaun Watson sack, and the way that he closed on Watson yesterday was more impressive to me because there was a visible second gear that Demo hit. Demo was already in the backfield and then he said, you know what, let me accelerate a little more. Yeah, and he just won am like Jalen, Like holy he absolutely that was one of the best defensive plays of the year. And it's all kind of going to get forgotten about in the long run because of what you're talking about. And I think, yeah, he's a dude, which is why, Like when he came out yesterday at the locker room and he was saying, hey, I'm good, Tuck to Nicole Hutcheson afterwards said I'm good. He said in the locker room, specifically to the media, I'll be back next week. That's all phenomenal news because he's a great dude. He's starting to turn into a leader, people are looking at him on the defensive side of the football, and the fact that he plays the way that he does too. All of these things add up significantly to a guy who could get into Pro Bowl and All Pro territory, maybe not this year, but down the line as a part of the Cowboys defense.
Speaker 6: And I love it as far as building blocks, that is he's a guy one that is, that is your guy, that is the heart and soul of your defense.
Speaker 7: And you know what, that's got to make Cowboys fans feel fantastic because it's not been since the days of peak Sean Lee that you've been able to point at the linebacker corps in Dallas and say, we've got a dude.
Speaker 4: That dude.
Speaker 7: Now you can look at the Marvyn overshown and say, oh, we got it, we got ourselves in due.
Speaker 5: And the great thing about to Marvin Overson, I think.
Speaker 9: He is the start of this kind of new era that we're seeing with these hybrid linebackers, because when you think of linebackers in days past, I think Eric Kendricks is a perfect example of what you think about in a linebacker. Guy who's going to be everywhere and make all the tackles for you at the second level. To Marvion Overshown is this kind of new breed of linebacker that can kick it into that extra gear. They've got a little bit more speed, a little bit more length to him. He has a history playing safety back in his high school. Maybe he played a little bit of safety at Texas too, but that speed is such a difference maker, and I think you are seeing some of that too. And the college dress is a good example of that. Although he's heard unfortunately for the rest of the year is Harold Perkins, just because he has that extra gear to him where he can get after the quarterback.
Speaker 3: Anthony Hill, who wears number zero for example of that, wear the same uniform. Devo Ward Texas a similar deal.
Speaker 5: You're looking at a stockier version of Demarvions.
Speaker 9: Texas, shorter, but he still does a lot of the same things. So de Marvion overshon is a great example of this kind of i'll say new era, although we've seen other guys like that. I think Isaiah Simmons is a good NFL example. I don't it hasn't panned out. I don't think like some people thought it has.
Speaker 3: And maybe I think Micah was that initially until they kind of full time threw him on the defense because it was such a good it was so good as a pass rusher. He could have been that previously. But now you have both which in a good way, and you have an elite pass rusher and you have that hybrid, and when.
Speaker 5: You have them both on the field at the same time, a lot of good things.
Speaker 3: Gimme, dude, Yeah, a lot.
Speaker 5: Of good things are going to happen.
Speaker 7: Will That's one of the high points. One of the few high points of the game is that sack from overshown and you could almost see the terror in Jalen hurts his eyes as he's running full of speed and the opposite direction, praying that he can get out an opportunity to turn the corner. But there's no corner to be turned. So the marvele and over shown is at your front door.
Speaker 3: There's not a whole lot of times where there's an audible response. It's only a couple times a game from the press box. Usually it's silent in there audible response, especially especially not Josh. Throughout the game, you're silent. But then that demo play happened, and like the whole press box was like you could hear it. It was almost in simultaneous unison. Are yeah, whoa, it was just few What was did you guys? Give you the worst thing that you saw? Yeah, I did.
Speaker 12: It was Carson and then mine was, oh gosh, now I'm blinking inability to stop the Thank you, quarterback, thank you, and you brought up the point.
Speaker 3: Saquon Barkley second lowest total on the ground this year. The only other team that held him for fewer yards, oddly enough, was the Cleveland Browns.
Speaker 4: At least we got him right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: He did.
Speaker 7: Cowboys had a chance to win this game. It was seventy three for the longest, fourteen to six good half. Your defense did exactly what it needed to do. Offense did absolutely nothing.
Speaker 9: That would have been a seventeen to seven or seventeen fourteen game.
Speaker 3: At half two, yeah, out, one team went and grabbed it. The other team had a chance to grab it and did not do it. Wait, we tried to pick it up and tried to pick it up three hundred pound rock bottom. Baby. All right, that does it for us here on talking Cowboys. We will be back tomorrow, Tommy.
Speaker 5: Great job on your debut.
Speaker 3: Thank you, no surprise. You can read Tommy's work on Dallas Cowboys dot Com. He'll pop in sporadically when Isaiah is not available. You can hear him on the Fan Tuesdays at nine twenty Tuesdays at nine twenty on the Fan one to five three the Fan with Sean and r Jy in the morning, so he's doing his radio hit listen to us and you can tune in to Tommy on Tuesdays as well. It'll be a whole lot of fun. We'll see you around as well.
Speaker 5: Absolutely for Chris, be.
Speaker 3: For Tommy, Ourrish for Josh Rodriguez, Patrick, walk around, Kyle Yoman saying so long from Talking Cowboys, We'll see you tomorrow for a Talking Tuesday.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.